PDA

View Full Version : Eliminations First Round Game1: UP

bigfreeze_bibby
07-02-2007, 09:50 AM
The first assignment for us is against this young but talented UP squad which for me had the best recruitment class coming in season 70. All thoughts for the pre and post game analysis can be posted here.

George Best
07-02-2007, 11:14 AM
Not too sound arrogant but I'd be disappinted if we don't win by atleast 12 points here. This UP team is a really young team. The preseason game against them may be close but for those who watched it, we played stupidly against them for an entire half. The game on Saturday will be a different story.

nel
07-02-2007, 11:21 AM
I wouldn't be too sure that it'll be a walk in the park. Joe Lipa is one damned good coach, and the way he's stockpiled his team with young, talented cagers with a lot of upside shows he's preparing for the future. His track record of building teams that compete all the time is no fluke, and the Maroons will be a handful for the Green Archers despite their relative youth and inexperience at the collegiate level. Look at the way he developed the Blue Eagles when he was their coach - it was a pity he wasn't at the helm anymore when they took the crown at our expense - that was his team.

If our team isn't careful, UP can easily pull off an upset, since they're playing without any pressure (no expectations to do well this season). In the next couple of years, watch out for UP. I expect our team to win this one, but it's not a lock.

bigfreeze_bibby
07-02-2007, 11:39 AM
Not too sound arrogant but I'd be disappinted if we don't win by atleast 12 points here.* This UP team is a really young team.* The preseason game against them may be close but for those who watched it, we played stupidly against them for an entire half.* The game on Saturday will be a different story.

Pre I've seen that game as well.* Yeah, we played stupid in some parts (for some, it's most) of that game but I won't put it as the same performance UP will show on Saturday.* I have to say that UP played too with no or minimal direction at all the last time we faced them in the pre season league so it's not a clear gauge that we set a standard of winning at least 12 points on them this Saturday.

I will be happy with a win, whether it will be close or not.* There will be two sides of attitudes that can be seen on opening game dates.* One, a team can be nervous due to opening game jitters or two, the opening game brings out an adrenalin rush to players pumping them up to an energy level that can beat any team on that day.* So it all depends on how both teams will show up and I have to say this is applicable to both teams because of one, La Salle was away from this type of limelight for one year and for UP, due to the young blood and lack of experience on its roster.

George Best
07-02-2007, 11:59 AM
Again, this UP team is very very inexperienced. Most are rookies. Their frontline aren't impressive either. Even their guards are mostly rookies. I'm just being realistic here.

nel, it's easy to say that Lipa is a good coach but you have to remember, he didn't win a championship. In their loses, he was the one blamed for his coaching mistakes. If he was a damned good coach as you mentioned, why was he sacked by Ateneo or by Air21(?)? It is simply because he failed to deliver what was expected. Let's not hype a coach just because he's been coaching for a long time. Last time I checked, every coach stockpiles his team with young talent every time he is rebuilding. Look at his record and you'll know what I mean. And besides, I don't think you've seen this UP team. This is very different from the ateneo team you're talking about. It was the Ateneo's team that beat us in 2002 but I have to say that it wasn't Joe Lipa's team. Joel Banal made them into a team. They were not succesful before 2002 because they didn't get the championship. Give credit to where it is due and I think it belongs to Joel Banal and not Joe Lipa.

Believe me, our defense will suffocate them. Our team's hunger for UAAP basketball will prevail over everything on Saturday.

bigmicoy
07-02-2007, 01:11 PM
bring your umbrellas because it will be raining with 3 points...from both teams! hehehe

nel
07-02-2007, 01:35 PM
Again, this UP team is very very inexperienced. Most are rookies. Their frontline aren't impressive either. Even their guards are mostly rookies. I'm just being realistic here.

nel, it's easy to say that Lipa is a good coach but you have to remember, he didn't win a championship. In their loses, he was the one blamed for his coaching mistakes. If he was a damned good coach as you mentioned, why was he sacked by Ateneo or by Air21(?)? It is simply because he failed to deliver what was expected. Let's not hype a coach just because he's been coaching for a long time. Last time I checked, every coach stockpiles his team with young talent every time he is rebuilding. Look at his record and you'll know what I mean. And besides, I don't think you've seen this UP team. This is very different from the ateneo team you're talking about. It was the Ateneo's team that beat us in 2002 but I have to say that it wasn't Joe Lipa's team. Joel Banal made them into a team. They were not succesful before 2002 because they didn't get the championship. Give credit to where it is due and I think it belongs to Joel Banal and not Joe Lipa.

Believe me, our defense will suffocate them. Our team's hunger for UAAP basketball will prevail over everything on Saturday.

Joe Lipa did steer UP to their only championship in the 1980s with Ronnie Magsanoc, Eric Altamirano, and Benjie Paras, so he's got a UAAP championship tucked under his belt. Even the great Ron Jacobs praised Lipa's coaching during their encounters in the PABL (now the PBL). The 2002 Ateneo team was built by Lipa, and Banal only inherited what he started. We may not like Lipa, but he's got a keen basketball mind and his teams shouldn't be underestimated. Admittedly the Maroons are young and raw, but will probably spring a few surprises, though hopefully not against our team.

shyboy
07-02-2007, 01:51 PM
In recent years, Joe Lipa wasn't anymore as successfull as he used to be. Let's see what he can show this time with this UP batch. But it won't happen this year. The Archers should just play it smart and avoid being overconfident. If they do this, I see a W on saturday.

mighty_lion
07-02-2007, 02:06 PM
Malaki ang mismatch sa height, experience at maturity. Hindi na ako magtataka kung DLSU ang mananalo. Ang gusto ko lang makita dito ay kung ano ang larong ipapakita ni Mike Gamboa at kung paano sya dedepensahan ng La Salle. Nakikinita ko rin na padamihan ng 3pt shots dito although dapat sa loob ang laro ng DLSU dahil nasa inyo ang height advantage.

shyboy
07-02-2007, 02:16 PM
Another thing to look forward to is Simon Atkins going up against ex-teammates Migs de Asis and Martin Reyes.

casual_observer
07-02-2007, 07:36 PM
well, i should say that in the UP vs DLSU match-up, the Archers obviously have the advantage. La Salle's size and experience as a squad is surely a mismatch when compared to that of UP's young and very raw team. however, Franz Pumaren and his boys should realize that Joe Lipa and his wards are no push-overs (remember, UP maybe comprised of rookies but these are no ordinary rookies) and that the team from Diliman can surely slay upper tier teams.

i expect that the first game between UP and DLSU will be very close and emotionally charged. the Archers wanted to win because they wanted to restore whatever they have lost after being suspended for one year. the Maroons wanted to win because they wanted to prove to their critics, all of whom are "underestimating" them for being young, raw and "talentless", that the ragtag, cash-strapped team from Diliman can end 21 years of championship title drought and ten years of Final Four appearance drought in 2007 in spite of all the odds surrounding them.

i'll just say that although the advantage is in La Salle's favor, the winner of this game could either be the Archers or the Maroons and that the winner will only win on a very small margin.

p.s.: honestly, i prefer the underdogs over the highly touted ones when it comes to basketball. the highly touted ones tend to think too high of themselves up to a point when their overconfidence will eat them alive while the underdogs are the ones with the real urge to fight and win games and, in the end, become champions. ;)

Rektikano
07-03-2007, 10:56 AM
Another thing to look forward to is Simon Atkins going up against ex-teammates Migs de Asis and Martin Reyes.

Actually, in the Filoil game, Simon and Migs went at it already. Both were called for unsportsmanlike fouls or were warned (I'm not sure). Yang si Migs, medyo may angas ng konti yan. And I'm sure, may "ipapakita" yan sa Saturday. Siyempre, he's got something to prove to Coach Franz and La Salle Taft. Kaya ingat lang siya sa Saturday at baka makatikim yan sa Gang Green. Si Martin naman, okay yan. Mabait na bata yan.

Now regarding the game. We just have to respect UP. Actually respect should be given to ALL the teams and we will be fine. But I'm sure Coach Franz has instilled this already to his boys. As Casual Observer said, over confidence could kill favored teams.

If you guys had listen to Green Archer radio last night, coach Joey mentioned that UP likes to run and shoot. Therefore, we must control the boards and cover and respect their designated shooters. We must not deviate from our system and impose our own game on them and we will be home safe.

I think we must not pressure and expect our boys to win by certain margins against any of our opponents. This way everybody can just enjoy any win that comes our way. Bottomline, even if we win by 1 point, it's still a win. I remember a game in 1999 when our Archers defeated the Falcons by 45 points on a Thursday. We thought we were so good and came Saturday against Ateneo.......we lost. My point is, winning by certain margins doesn't prove anything. Sabi nga nila---"You're only as good as your last game".

Animo La Salle!!

George Best
07-03-2007, 11:18 AM
^^ It was a double foul, I think. Migz and Simon were clearly giving each other cheap shots before the ref finally saw them. Simon is a very physical defender that's why he is inserted along with Rejan whenever we are employing the full court press. As for Migz, he only has one motto: "I'll shoot now, you ask questions later".

What does Migz have to prove? He didn't stick with us when we were suspended. That's why I rate Simon over him.

bigfreeze_bibby
07-03-2007, 11:35 AM
May isa pang rule si Migs: "Kita ko bakal, tira ako". If the Archers will be full-focused throughout the game, everything will turn out fine for us. Match the energy that the opposing team is giving us and just like what Rektikano said, let's impose our game on them and not the otherway around.

Soc Rivera though, can be the x-factor for the Maroons on this game. His impact on defense will certainly help the morale of the his teammates to go at it, give a good fight, and of course win the ballgame for them.

Kid Cubao
07-03-2007, 12:50 PM
ingat lang kayo sa tsamba, kasi pag kumagat yung mga tres nina miggs de asis, martin reyes, at epres, didikit ang laban. kaya habang maaga pa'y gulatin nyo na, at nang makatikim sila ng romansang kakaiba.

bigmicoy
07-03-2007, 03:29 PM
Bros,

May upper A or lower tickets pa ba for this game?...panay upper b at gen ad na lang ang naabutan ko...

Hope you can help a fellow fanatic...

Para hindi OT:

The archers will use experience in this game. We have the advantage both inside and out. This is a test for our big guys on how they will adjust without Marco in the rotation.

boyscout
07-03-2007, 04:34 PM
^^ It was a double foul, I think.* Migz and Simon were clearly giving each other cheap shots before the ref finally saw them.* Simon is a very physical defender that's why he is inserted along with Rejan whenever we are employing the full court press.* As for Migz, he only has one motto: "I'll shoot now, you ask questions later".

What does Migz have to prove?* He didn't stick with us when we were suspended.* That's why I rate Simon over him.

Watched that game too, both players were called by the referee for unnecessary roughness.* What others didnít see after a few plays, was Simon and Migs laughing/taking to each when one of the La Salle players (forgot who) was taking his free throw. Magkaibigan at magkakampi mga yan noong grade school pa so I doubt if both were really going at each other.* It was more of a stick it in your face type of defense that both schools employed that day.*

Regarding Migs transferring to UP and not sticking with us. I think its safe to assume that most if not all of our junior squads would like to play for us in the seniors level. The problem is the available slots or positions we have for our boys. We also didnít actively recruit them since that time we didnít know if we would get suspended or not.*

We shouldnít doubt this kids loyalty. In fact, we should be proud of him since he was part of the team that gave La Salle its first junior championship after 50 years.* Plus, it gives our current junior players someone to emulate so they can play at the senior level whether they end up in La Salle or not.

bigmicoy
07-03-2007, 05:03 PM
^^ It was a double foul, I think.* Migz and Simon were clearly giving each other cheap shots before the ref finally saw them.* Simon is a very physical defender that's why he is inserted along with Rejan whenever we are employing the full court press.* As for Migz, he only has one motto: "I'll shoot now, you ask questions later".

What does Migz have to prove?* He didn't stick with us when we were suspended.* That's why I rate Simon over him.

Watched that game too, both players were called by the referee for unnecessary roughness.* What others didnít see after a few plays, was Simon and Migs laughing/taking to each when one of the La Salle players (forgot who) was taking his free throw. Magkaibigan at magkakampi mga yan noong grade school pa so I doubt if both were really going at each other.* It was more of a stick it in your face type of defense that both schools employed that day.*

Regarding Migs transferring to UP and not sticking with us. I think its safe to assume that most if not all of our junior squads would like to play for us in the seniors level. The problem is the available slots or positions we have for our boys. We also didnít actively recruit them since that time we didnít know if we would get suspended or not.*

We shouldnít doubt this kids loyalty. In fact, we should be proud with him since he was part of the team that gave La Salle its first junior championship after 50 years.* Plus, it gives our current junior players someone to emulate so they can play at the senior level whether they end up in La Salle or not.

I do agree with boyscout...the reason why i'm watching UP games (aside from mam grethchen ;D ) is because of de asis and reyes. Sayang lang at di natin magamit yung talent nila. But on Saturday, loyal pa din ako sa archers...

jollibeeaddict
07-04-2007, 02:56 AM
welcome back po La Salle. good luck po. yun lang po. salamat po.

go_flames_go
07-04-2007, 03:25 AM
Sino ang mas matindi? Ang bigote o ang ilong?* :P

Basta ang alam ko mas nakakakiliti ang bigote kaya mas benta sa chicks* ;D

shyboy
07-04-2007, 06:13 AM
Sino ang mas matindi? Ang bigote o ang ilong?* :P

Basta ang alam ko mas nakakakiliti ang bigote kaya mas benta sa chicks* ;D

Malay natin, si Lipa naman baka may bigote sa ilong. Mas matindi yun. ;D

pio_valenz
07-04-2007, 02:46 PM
This will be a good game, but I expect the Archers to win this one, no matter how much my good friend GreenArrows tries to downplay La Salle's chances in our SMS conversations. DLSU is just too deep and experienced for UP.

On that double foul between Migs and Simon, I also saw that game and I agree the two were just horsing around, the way you would talk friendly trash to a buddy when you're on opposite teams.

anghusay
07-05-2007, 08:07 AM
I don't think DLSU is a shoe in to win their game versus the Maroons on Saturday. There have been numerous upsets in the UAAP in recent years. I just hope DLSU will not take this game lightly.

Rektikano
07-05-2007, 10:05 AM
^^^
As I said, we must not take ANY team, not just UP for granted. Respect, respect and respect should be given every time. Challenge every shot and plays of the opposing teams. Classic example..Paolo Bugia's near halfcourt three point heave that banked in in the second game of the 2003 final 4 match up between us and them. Mahirap kalaban ang swerte. That's why we have to work doubly hard.

jollibeeaddict
07-07-2007, 06:47 PM
well, La Salle is indeed back in the UAAP, thanks to a blow out of UP in today's ball game. hindi pa rin nagbabago ang laro ng Archers kaya hindi na dapat ipagtaka kung mapasok sila sa Finals this year.

yun nga lang pala, graduate sina Maierhoffer at Atkins kanina. hehehehe!

atenean_blooded
07-07-2007, 09:13 PM
Great game by the Archers today. Congratulations.

George Best
07-08-2007, 10:54 AM
As I mentioned before, we'll easily beat this team. Did you expect the Archers to relax and take their opponent lightly on the first UAAP game after 21 months????!!?!?

flsfnoeraekadad
07-08-2007, 08:02 PM
As I mentioned before, we'll easily beat this team. Did you expect the Archers to relax and take their opponent lightly on the first UAAP game after 21 months????!!?!?
I don't think the team is taking anyone lightly. ;D