PDA

View Full Version : The 2007 William Jones Cup

gameface_one
06-26-2007, 10:07 AM
US puts RP to the test in Jones Cup opener

The Philippine Star

In what would serve as its penultimate test before it flies to Tokushima for the FIBA-Asia Men’s Championship late next month, San Miguel-Pilipinas takes on world power United States on July 2 when the William Jones Cup unfolds in Chinese-Taipei.

The Nationals next face Lebanon on July 3, Japan on the 4th, South Korea on the 5th, Jordan on the 6th, Iran on the 7th, Chinese-Taipei on the 8th, Qatar on the 9th, and Kazakhstan on the 10th, drawing to near close extensive preparations in the country’s bid to send a basketball team to the Olympic Games for the first time since 1972 in Munich.

"Tough, no matter how it plays out," said national coach Chot Reyes.

"But I would have preferred USA later. Otherwise, it’s fine."

A four-nation Manila Invitational, which would feature Syria, Lebanon, China and the Philippines, is scheduled for the national team after the Jones Cup.

Meanwhile, Ginebra’s Eric Menk, Purefoods’ James Yap and Sta. Lucia Realty’s Kelly Williams, along with Air21’s Nino Canaleta, on Monday attended for the first time the SMC-RP practice at the Moro Lorenzo Sports Center, and all expressed thrill at having been invited to the training.

Menk, a member of the RP team that came within a heartbeat of advancing to gold medal play in the Asian Games in Busan five years ago, said he was excited to report for practice.

"But not to be with Asi (Taulava)," Menk, said in jest.

Taulava, who was within earshot, responded while tinkering with his laptop: "Don’t believe what he said. He loves me."

Menk, who admitted he would’ve wanted to be with the team from the beginning, said he has no expectations about his inclusion now.

"Coach didn’t guarantee me anything. I’m just happy to be here. I hope to play hard as I can in the Jones Cup, be a team player and help the team as much as I can."

Yap insisted he felt no rancor when he wasn’t originally selected.

"I respect the decision of the coaches. They know who should be in the team," said Yap, the 2006 PBA most valuable player.

But the call to attend RP team prompted him to reset a scheduled vacation, including a planned trip with his wife Kris to celebrate their wedding anniversary next month.

Williams said sharing the same playing court with the rest of the national players gave him a natural high.

"It felt good just to be able to jump in and see these guys," Williams said.

Equally important, Williams said, was the chance to talk to Reyes and clear up things that came out in the papers recently.

"I’m glad to be able to talk to coach Chot. He told me everything is water under the under bridge now. So everything’s fine, except for this protein drink, which tastes funny. This one I’m not too crazy about.

gameface_one
06-26-2007, 10:14 AM
Jones Cup

RP vs US in opener
mb.com.ph

IN WHAT would serve as its penultimate test before it flies toTokushima for the FIBA-Asia Men’s Championship late next month, San Miguel-Pilipinas takes on world power USA on July 2 when the William Jones Cup unfolds in Taiwan.

The Nationals next face Lebanon on July 3, Japan on the 4th, South Korea on the 5th, Jordan on the 6th, Iran on the 7th, Taiwan on the 8th, Qatar on the 9th, and Kazakhstan on the 10th, drawing to near close extensive preparations in the country’s bid to send a basketball team to the Olympic Games for the first time since 1972 in Munich.

"Tough, no matter how it plays out," said national coach Chot Reyes."But I would have preferred USA later. Otherwise, it’s fine."

A four-nation Manila Invitational, which would feature Syria, Lebanon, China and the Philippines, is scheduled for the national team after the Jones Cup.

Meanwhile, Ginebra’s Eric Menk, Purefoods’ James Yap and Sta. Lucia Realty’s Kelly Williams, along with Air21’s Niño Cañaleta, yesterday attended for the first time the SMC-RP practice at the Moro Lorenzo Sports Center, and all expressed thrill at having been invited to training.

Morning session was devoted for weights and shootaround, while the afternoon involved 5-on-5 scrimmages.

Menk, a member of the RP team that came within a heartbeat of advancing to gold medal play in the Asian Games in Busan five years ago, said he was excited to report for practice.

"But not to be with Asi (Taulava)," Menk, laughing, said after practice.

Taulava, who was within earshot, responded while tinkering with his laptop: "Don’t believe what he said. He loves me."

Menk, who admitted he would’ve wanted to be with the team from the beginning, said he has no expectations about his inclusion now.

"Coach didn’t guarantee me anything. I’m just happy to be here. I hope to play hard as I can in the Jones Cup, be a team player and help the team as much as I can."

Yap insisted he felt no rancor when he wasn’t originally selected.

"Hindi sumama ang loob ko dahil nirerespeto ko ang desisyon ng mga RP coaches," said Yap, the 2006 PBA most valuable player. "Alam nila kung sino ang karapat-dapat sa team."

The call to attend RP team practice overwhelmed him nonetheless, Yap said, and prompted him to reset a scheduled vacation, including a planned trip with his wife Kris to celebrate their wedding anniversary next month.

"Kahit masarap sana magbakasyon, dito muna ako dahil para ‘to sa bansa," he said. "At kung di man ako masama, okey din lang basta ma-experience ko lang yung training."

Williams said sharing the same playing court with the rest of the national players gave him a natural high.

"It felt good just to be able to jump in and see these guys," Williams said. "Coming in today was crucial."

Equally important, Williams said, was the chance to talk to Reyes and clear up things that came out in the papers recently.

"I’m glad to be able to talk to coach Chot. He told me everything is water under the bridge now. So everything’s fine, except for this protein drink which tastes funny. This one I’m not too crazy about.

Reyes said it was "too early to tell" if any of the three new additions to the pool, including Cañaleta, would eventually make it to the team as regulars.

"Just on the surface, looking at them today, the team does look bigger and stronger," Reyes said. "But only after we do 5-on-5s and actual scrimmaging will we really find out."

A 15-man lineup without forward Danny Seigle, who is recovering from a hamstring pull in Belgrade, will leave for Taiwan before the end of June, with Reyes expected to use varying 12-player rosters on each game.

The FIBA-Asia, set July 28-Aug. 5, is the qualifying tournament to the Beijing Olympics next August.

mighty_lion
06-26-2007, 10:37 AM
Naku US team kaagad. ??? Teka, ang US Team ba na maglalaro sa Jones Cup ay ang NBA Pool ni Coach K ng Duke?

yungha
06-26-2007, 10:43 AM
i hope we massacre the hosts chinese-taipei. they act all mean and tough when we send so-so teams; let's see how tough they really our against our main team.

pachador
06-26-2007, 11:05 AM
pinadala ng aking ex na taiwanese kaso ayaw niya i-translate. manigas daw ako:
:lol:
http://jonescup.roodo.com/

pachador
06-26-2007, 11:07 AM
i think the US team is athletes-in-action yata which is the same team of Norwood when they went to manila recently :)

Naku US team kaagad.* ??? Teka, ang US Team ba na maglalaro sa Jones Cup ay ang NBA Pool ni Coach K ng Duke?

Wang-Bu
06-26-2007, 04:06 PM
Dapat ang padala sa Jones Cup kasi sina Ricky Calimag, Reynel Hugnatan, Bitoy Omolon, Denok Miranda, Wynne Arboleda, Jimwell Torion, Enrico Villanueva, Carlo Sharma, Ali Peek, Ronald Tubid at Sunday Salvacion. Gawin na ding team manager si Rafa Dinglasan at coach si Junel Baculi. Ewan ko lang kung hindi first game pa lang hindi lang tayo forfeit, deported ng buong team at persona non grata pa sa Taiwan. ;D

clutchjedi
06-26-2007, 05:50 PM
Dapat ang padala sa Jones Cup kasi sina Ricky Calimag, Reynel Hugnatan, Bitoy Omolon, Denok Miranda, Wynne Arboleda, Jimwell Torion, Enrico Villanueva, Carlo Sharma, Ali Peek, Ronald Tubid at Sunday Salvacion. Gawin na ding team manager si Rafa Dinglasan at coach si Junel Baculi. Ewan ko lang kung hindi first game pa lang hindi lang tayo forfeit, deported ng buong team at persona non grata pa sa Taiwan. ;D

Parang sina Joey Mente at ang Iloilo Voltz dati* :D

Are any of the other Asian countries sending their real (senior) national teams, or club/youth teams lang ang mga ito?

pachador
06-27-2007, 07:55 AM
TV coverage ng Jones Cup by ESPN daw. anong ESPN ba ito? sa asia lang or ESPN sa amerika din?
http://blog.roodo.com/jonescup/archives/3500071.html

Howard the Duck
06-27-2007, 09:24 AM
malamang ESPN sa taiwan 'to... i've read on the BTV website they'll be showing this... and ABC too.

gameface_one
07-02-2007, 09:25 AM
RP faces US five in Jones Cup opener

The Philippine Star

TAIWAN – How San Miguel-Pilipinas squad has developed through months of overseas training and competition will be known today when it plunges into action in the 29th Jones Cup against the fancied Athletes in Action of the US at the Sinjhuang Stadium in Taipei County.

The defending champion AIA squad, seeking to give the US its 16th Jones Cup title since the event’s inaugurals in 1977, is expected to give San Miguel-Pilipinas a tough time and test the mettle of the Filipinos gearing up for the FIBA-Olympic qualifying in Tokushima, Japan later this month.

But national coach Chot Reyes is unfazed.

"The Americans are of little concern for us because our true objective here is to see the other Asian teams that will compete in the FIBA Asia Men’s Championship in Japan. But, of course, we will play to win every game," said Reyes. "What I’d like to win though are those games in Japan."

Reyes has added four new players to his 15-man roster as Eric Menk, James Yap, Niño Canaleta and Kelly Williams have joined the Taipei jaunt although top gun Danny Seigle is out with an injury.

"These four will definitely see action in the Jones Cup and will be evaluated by the coaching staff. There are no guarantees that they’d make the team to Tokushima, though. We just want to see if the team gets better with them around," said Reyes.

Ten teams are seeing action in the tournament.

Dark Knight
07-02-2007, 06:51 PM

Pwede bang team manager si Manny "batok" Salgado? ;D

shyboy
07-02-2007, 07:20 PM
The RP Team just won by 5 points over the top US barangay team. I'm not impressed with our win. It was only Jimmy Alapag doing the damage for us the whole game. Si Caguioa sa dulo na lang gumawa after being blocked like 4-5 times I think the whole game.

Our team was not quick, they all seem flat-footed except for Alapag. Lazy passes were aplenty. Set-up plays were very minimal. Very few cutters on offense and yung iba nakatayo lang. Pang-PBA style pa rin which is a no-no in international competitions. We were not boxing out, giving away too many offensive rebounds and second-chance attempts. Buti na lang the US weren't making their shots.

If we are to play this way in the FIBA-Asia qualifiers, swerte na if we get 4th place.

clutchjedi
07-02-2007, 07:28 PM
yes, we won over USA (Athletes in Action) 72-67.* parang sabi nga nung mga commentators that this US selection isn't as formidable as last year's, mas hastily-assembled/prepared ata.

i didn't see the whole game on tv but saw alapag hit 3 straight treys late in the 4th qtr. caguioa clinched the win with a tough shot-clock-beating jumper with about 10 secs remaining that put RP up by 7.

televised sa espn, tsaka sa abc-5 pero delayed by several minutes.* :)

abc-5 sked is at http://www.pba.ph/content/view/1684/59/. next up is lebanon.

lekiboy
07-02-2007, 08:05 PM
yes, we won over USA (Athletes in Action) 72-67.* parang sabi nga nung mga commentators that this US selection isn't as formidable as last year's, mas hastily-assembled/prepared ata.

i didn't see the whole game on tv but saw alapag hit 3 straight treys late in the 4th qtr. caguioa clinched the win with a tough shot-clock-beating jumper with about 10 secs remaining that put RP up by 7.

televised sa espn, tsaka sa abc-5 pero delayed by several minutes.* :)

abc-5 sked is at http://www.pba.ph/content/view/1684/59/. next up is lebanon.

wala po bang replay, sir?

Howard the Duck
07-02-2007, 08:59 PM
may replay bukas ng early afternoon sa ESPN.

Looks like the USA team is scrappy, considering they've won last year. However, its the first game, so it can not be indicative of what'll happen next.

jie_unit
07-02-2007, 09:15 PM
ey don't be hatin'.. We won na nga.. Lge pa din may nasasabing masama.. Di naman ganun kahina ung USA.. i think we did a good job. I know we still need improvement! We need a big guy to crash the boards. Alapag was fearless!! And Mark "the spark" was awesome in crunchtime.. At first Mark was forcing his shots, got blocked..many times.. missed many shots.. but we just need to trust his shots cause he's our go-to-guy.. Hontiveros also saved us at the start of the fourth quarter.. Mic and Kerby were not intimidated.. And Asi is thinner now.. one out of nine at the free throw line..hehe I think Gabe is really important to this team..

I know that Jones cup is not our priority pero sana we can beat all the other teams and scare them! Cause in the past 3 years, the team that we always send got beaten..really bad. And teams in the jones cup is not afraid of us.. Keep supporting the Philippine Team. One Love.

gameface_one
07-03-2007, 07:48 AM
SMC-RP 5 sizzles in debut, thwarts US

The Philippine Star

TAIWAN – Jimmy Alapag dished out a near-flawless game while Mark Caguioa came through with clutch shots as San Miguel-Philippines stunned defending champion Athletes in Action of the US, 72-67, at the start of the Jones Cup international basketball tournament at the Sinjhuang Stadium in Taipei County here Monday night.

Trailing by five, 52-57, going into the last 5:14 of the contest, Team Pilipinas called on the spitfirish Alapag and Mick Pennisi, who sparked an initial 8-0 run with back-to-back triples, before Kerby Raymundo scored on a twisting lay-up to shove the Filipinos ahead, 60-57.

After Reed Rawling countered for the Americans, Alapag rifled in his third triple of the match and then Caguioa finally got going by scoring the last nine points, including a slashing drive before knocking down a shot-clocking beating jumper from way out to seal the victory for the RP team.

"Jimmy bailed us out big-time and Mark finished the job for us," said national team coach Vincent "Chot" Reyes.

Alapag finished with a game-high 19 points.

It was indeed a big comeback for SMC-Pilipinas, which led majority of the first half but sputtered in the third where it was held to just six points as the US team seized control.

But the gutsy Filipinos came up with clutch hits and kept the game close before Alapag and Caguioa conspired in a big RP team windup for the victory.

The win should send shock waves not only to the Americans but also to the rest of the nine-team field seeing action in the 10-day event. It also augurs well for the Filipinos’ campaign in the event serving as the first of their last two tournaments before the Olympic qualifying in Tokushima, Japan later this month.

It also gives SMC-Pilipinas the momentum when it plays Lebano Tuesday at the resumption of action in the nine-day tournament featuring the teams the Philippines would be playing in the Tokushima qualifier.

SMC- Pilipinas put together a 12-0 run ending the second quarter to build a 39-31 lead at the turn.

But the Filipinos were held to only six points on three free throws and a three-point shot by Dondon Hontiveros in the third period as the Americans started to dominate and seize the upperhand, 46-45.

In the other opening day matches, Korea nipped Qatar, 70-69; Jordan won over Kazakhstan, 63-61; and Lebanon beat Iran, 80-71.

Lebanon and San Miguel-Pilipinas mix it up at 5:30 p.m. with the Nationals seeking a second straight win and tournament leadership.

gameface_one
07-03-2007, 07:56 AM
JONES CUP SHOCKER
San Mig-RP cagers stun proud US five

By Ernesto Gonzales
Inquirer
Last updated 04:16am (Mla time) 07/03/2007

TAIPEI -- Although the Jones Cup is not its main goal, the San Miguel-Pilipinas national team showed its tremendous potential by toppling defending champion United States, 72-67, at the start of the tournament’s 29th edition here Monday.

The 5-foot-7 Jimmy Alapag stood tallest in the game with his court generalship and three-point shooting while Mark Caguioa came back from an ice-cold performance to finish with all guns ablaze at the Hsin-chuang gym.

“Alapag bailed us out big time and Caguioa finished the job,” gushed national coach Chot Reyes, whose boys are on the final leg of their crash preparation for the FIBA-Asia championship, the Olympic qualifier, set late this month in Tokushima, Japan.

Next up for the Filipinos at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday is Lebanon, which downed Iran, 80-71.

In a pair of cliffhangers punctuating the opening-day bill, Jordan held on to nip Kazakhstan, 63-61, and South Korea nosed out Qatar, 70-69, behind a follow-up basket by Kim Min-soo with three seconds left.

Although missing a lot of free throws, the Filipinos took the half at 39-31 behind the combination of Alapag, Gabe Norwood, Dondon Hontiveros and Asi Taulava.

But the Americans, represented by young collegians playing under the Athletes in Action banner, wrested the lead late in the third period and went on top by as many as five at 57-52 with five minutes left.

Then Alapag went to work, hitting a three-pointer followed by another triple by Mick Pennisi for 58-57.

A layup by Kerby Raymundo made it 60-57 before Caguioa took over after another Alapag long bomb, 63-59.

The popular Ginebra guard struck with a layup, added his own triple, then struck on a Caguioa-Alapag-Caguioa passing attack for 70-62 with 1:31 left.

Caguioa capped his explosive finish with a tight jumper from the side for 72-65 with 16 seconds left.

The Filipinos play seven more successive games against rivals they will face in the FIBA-Asia championship.

After the match against the Lebanese, the Nationals take on Japan at 3:30 p.m. on Wednesday, South Korea at 5:30 p.m. on Thursday, Jordan at 3:30 p.m. on Friday and Iran also at 3:30 p.m. on Saturday.

Their last three opponents in the straight single-round tournament are host Taiwan at 5:30 p.m. on Sunday, Qatar at 3:30 p.m. on Monday and Kazakhstan at 3:30 p.m. on Tuesday.

The scores:
RP 72 -- Alapag 19, Caguioa 14, Pennisi 11, Hontiveros 11, Norwood 7, Raymundo 5, Taulava 5, Ocampo 0, Helterbrand 0, Williams 0,Canaleta 0
US 67 -- Hendley 11, Gibson 10, Wilkerson 10, Rollins 9, Sloan 8, T. Pollits 6, Nichols 5, Rouff 5, E. Pollits 2, Hammonds 1, Harris 0, Ashbury 0.
Quarters: 23-25, 39-31, 45-46, 72-67

gameface_one
07-03-2007, 07:56 AM
A fantastic start

RP cagers stun US in Jones Cup opener, 72-67
mb.com.ph

SAN MIGUEL-TEAM Pilipinas found its touch in the endgame to shock defending champion Athletes in Action of the USA, 72-67, yesterday at the start of the Filipinos’ campaign in the 29th William Jones Cup in Taipeh.

Trailing by five, 52-57 going into the last 5:14 of the contest, Team Pilipinas got the lift it needed from Jimmy Alapag who keyed an initial 8-0 run by banging in a triple. Mick Pennisi followed suit with another howitzer and Kerby Raymundo scored on a curling lay-up to push the Filipinos ahead,60-57.

After Reed Rawling responded for the Americans, Alapag rifled in his fourth triple of the match and then Mark Caguioa finally got going by scoring the last nine points for San Miguel-TeamPilipinas which definitely sent shock waves not only to AIA but the eight other teams entered in the ten-day meet.

"Jimmy bailed us out big time and Mark finished the job for us,"said National coach Chot Reyes.

Alapag finished the contest with 19 points.

San Miguel-Team Pilipinas put together a 12-0 run ending the second quarter to erect a 39-31 advantage at the halftime break.

But the Filipinos were held to only six points on three free throws and a three-point shot by Dondon Hontiveros in the third peiord as the Ameicans seized the upperhand, 46-45 at the end of the third period.

The Filipinos go for their second straight win today when they face Lebanon at 5:30 p.m.

And Reyes said this game with the Lebanese is crucial since the same Lebanon team will be the one going to the FIBA-Asia Men’s Championship in Tukoshima, Japan.

"There’s a good possibility of us meeting the Lebanese in the quarterfinals of the FIBA-Asia Men’s Championship in Tukoshima, Japan. If we finish second in Group A, I’m sure we’ll face Lebanon in the quarterfinals," said Reyes. "Napakaswerte ng Lebanon kasi ang Group B ang pinakamadaling group. Siguradong sila ang magiging top team ng Group B. Tayo dadaan sa butas ng karayom sa Group A"

The Philippines is bracketed in what some experts describe as "The Group of Death" as Group A has powerhouse China, Iran and Jordan. "Walang panapon sa Group A. Kung mayroon man, baka tayo iyon considering that we only started preparing last March 12."

"We’ve played Lebanon a couple of times and we’ve fared well against them. We’ve in fact beaten them. They will also take part in the Manila Invitationals," said Reyes. But who knows, baka pati sila nagtatago ng baraha?"

The Lebanese national team is reinforced by Joe Vogel and Brian Feghnali, a pair of players who have seen action in the NBA.

What Reyes and San Miguel-Team Pilipinas are really preparing hard for are the games against Jordan on Friday and Iran on Saturday. Both have sent their respective national teams.

"Hindi naman sana tayo pupunta dito sa Jones Cup if organizers did not assure us that we’ll be going up against the national teams of Iran and Jordan. This is a very good opportunity for us to gauge our strength and that of these two countries three weeks before Tukoshima," said Reyes.

Still, Reyes said he is torn between trying to hide his cards in the Jones Cup joust and the public perception. "While this is just part of our preparation for Tukoshima, kailangan din nating manalo dito. Realistically,we’re eyeing a top four finish.Pero alam ninyo na na kapag natalo tayo dito, marami na namang genius ang lalabas sa Pilipinas at magtatanong kung bakit nagkaganoon ang campaign sa Jones Cup. We we have to strike a balance."

Kid Cubao
07-03-2007, 08:08 AM
the important thing is that we started off on the right note. a win against the US is still a big win, and that is something we can ride on in our encounter against lebanon, a team with speed on the transition and muscle under the boards.

what was exposed in our debut yesterday is our woeful rebounding. we have to collect our wits and get on the same page in denying the second-chance points and extra possessions of our opponents. south korea edged import-laden qatar in the last second of regulation after a qatari player failed to block out the south korean center who sneaked in from the blind side to follow up a three point miss by his teammate. these are the little things that spell the difference between victory and defeat.

Joescoundrel
07-03-2007, 09:23 AM
We need to get our basketball legs back quickly. Our boys were indeed flat and seemed to not be on the same page all throughout the game. Rebounding is key for us because international competitions are all about possessions, and we cannot win without the ball.

Lebanon is a team built on strength and speed, thank Allah not too much on size. Fadi Al Khatib is still one of Asia's Top 3 players at the very least, and brings a unique combination of size (6-foot-5 210 pounds) shooting (over 40% career from the 3-line) and experience (been competing internationally for Lebanon since he was 17). If Al Khatib gets on a roll we'd better hope the rest of his teammates just stand back and watch the show, otherwise it'll be a very long game for us.

Sam Miguel
07-03-2007, 09:54 AM
From the ASIA-BASKET Site, just to give everyone an idea what Al Khatib is like...

-- Lebanon 80-71 Iran

El Cheikh Fadi El Khatib scored 35 points on 10-of-17 shooting and single-handedly led Lebanon to the victory. Lebanese center Joseph Vogel sat out the game as he lost his luggage during a flight transfer. Vogel is expected to play tomorrow

Kid Cubao
07-03-2007, 09:59 AM
pag may nakita kayong lookalike ni elmaz, na asawa ni ropa, yan si al-khatib ng lebanese national team ;D

oca
07-03-2007, 04:13 PM
On the Phil vs USA-AIA.

It was my first time to see the NT at play. It feels good to win, always. But still, I didn't like the way we played.

Spacing was bad. Ball movement was terrible.

Imo, the reason we won was bcoz the opposition's big men just cannot assert themselves and they opted not to play zone defense for most part of the game.

But seeing how much time Chot spent seated and observing what's happening on the court, obviously, he is trying figure something out of our lineup. He was "not into the game" in a manner we are all familiar with. That makes me think may maasahan pa tayo sa koponan natin.

In the second televised game, Japan vs Chinese Taipei, yung tipo ng zona ng Chinese islanders ang gusto kong matikman ng team natin.

Kung sa susunod na walong laro ay pulos zona ang makikita ng mga bata natin, kahit talo lahat pero dikit, I will feel good about our chances in making it to Beijing.

clutchjedi
07-03-2007, 07:46 PM
We just lost on a lucky buzzer-beating off-the-glass three-pointer by Lebanon* :(... 62-all, we could have held for the last shot, but Hontiveros took the shot too early, Lebanon got the rebound with about 4secs left, scrambled upcourt, and banked a trey off the top of the backboard square.

We had our chances to close out the game, but couldn't. Well, at least we learn it here than in the FIBA-Asia* :)

jie_unit
07-03-2007, 08:22 PM
HEART-BREAKING LOSS!! :(

Howard the Duck
07-03-2007, 08:38 PM
we could've won but we gave them chances. too many hurried treys when lebanon was making a run... oh well, you learn the hard way.

and the taiwanese audience must he happy :p

gameface_one
07-03-2007, 08:59 PM
Buzzer-beater downs RP in Jones Cup
abs-cbnnews.com

Lebanon beat San Miguel-Pilipinas, 65-62, during the Jones Cup international basketball tournament in Taipei County Tuesday night.

The Filipinos were almost always on the lead during the game before the Lebanese team took control in the fourth quarter.

The Lebanese sealed their win after a three-pointer sank with just several ticks left in the game.

The Filipinos were coming off a 72-67 win over the US team before absorbing their loss from Lebanon.

The tournament is the first of the team’s last two tournaments before the Olympic qualifying in Tokushima, Japan later this month.

San Miguel-Pilipinas now sports a 1-1 win loss slate in the tourney.

shyboy
07-03-2007, 10:43 PM
Ang tagal na nila sa pros, so dapat alam na nila kung ano dapat gawin in RP's last play. Kaso ewan ko ba kung bakit tinira ng maaga.

They were lucky Lebanon weren't making their outside shots the whole game kaya they had the lead almost the entire game. Had it been China or Korea, baka di tayo nakalamang.

The nationals should go back to basics if they want to make a good showing in the FIBA qualifiers. Shot selection, ball movement, cuts, picks, boxing out, spacing. Their game was an improvement compared to their game against the US. But still, they have a long ways to go before they become deserving to be in the Olympics.

Kid Cubao
07-04-2007, 05:07 AM
we lost because we played too individualistic, one on one ball in the final quarter. too many bad possessions, no one getting back on defense, free throws being missed. larong pensyonado.

alam nila ang dahilan kaya sila natalo. now it's time for them to put a stop to that and play according to how chot reyes taught them.

Wang-Bu
07-04-2007, 09:17 AM
^^^ Ang kaso Sir Cubao base sa mga time out na focused ng ESPN tila pati si Coach Chot low batt kagabi. Nuon ko lang nakitang parang kumakapa ng play si Coach Chot, ni hindi nga maalala mismong pangalan ng mga player niya.

Nung fourth quarter humabol ang Lebanon, at halos si Fadi Al Khatib lang naman ang kumamada. Bagama't si Roni Fahed ang tumalo sa atin si Al Khatib ang nanigurong mailapit ang Lebanon.

Sina Jim Alapag at Jay Helterbrand parang mga wala sa sarili nung fourth quarter: Si Alapag kana ng kana sa tres wlaa namang pumapasok. Si Helterbrand naman parang nalimutan na papano maglaro, kung nasaan ang trap sa sideline duon nagdi-dribble. Wala din ang motion offense natin, parang alangan lahat at hindi sigurado kung saan sila dapat pumwesto, lalo 'yung Mark Caguioa.

Kung ano man ang hinithit o rinatrat ng team sana naman mag-share na lang sila, kasi kung larong bangag din lang ang ilalaro nila might as well mag-share sila para sakay lahat sa trip nila.

gameface_one
07-04-2007, 09:35 AM
Lebanese buzzer-beater sinks RP five

The Philippine Star

TAIPEI – Rony Fahed fired a triple with no time left as Lebanon came from behind to nip SMC-Team Pilipinas, 65-62, for its second straight victory in the 29th Jones Cup international basketball tournament at the Sinjhuang Stadium in Taipei County here Tuesday night.

Dondon Hontiveros misfired what seemed to be an ill-advised shot with still five seconds remaining in the contest with the count tied at 62, enabling the Lebanese one last stab at the basket, which Fahed completed with an off-balanced bank shot as time expired.

As the Lebanese whooped it up in their frontcourt, the Filipinos made their exit shaking their heads in disbelief after blowing what had appeared to be a won game on a sputtering finish marked by three flubbed offensives.

That included another Hontiveros miss from the three-point range in the closing minute which paved the way for Omar El Turk’s three-pointer that moved Lebanon to within, 61-62, after trailing by as many as 10 points in the third period.

It was a sorry loss for Team RP, which shocked fancied defending champion Athletes in Action of the US, 72-67, Monday only to be stunned by a gutsy Lebanese side, which played catch-up majority of the way.

The Filipinos actually self-destructed in the last two-and-a-half minutes and failed to score after Hontiveros had given the Nationals a 62-56 advantage.

Two free throws by Fadi El Khatib and a triple by El Turk put the Lebanese to within a point, 62-61, exactly a minute to go. After Khatib blocked an undergoal stab by Asi Taulava, he lost the ball to the sideline giving San Miguel-Team Pilipinas a chance to pad on the slim lead.

But Mark Caguioa, one of the heroes in the victory against defending champion Athletes in Action of USA, committed a dribbling violation and turned the ball over to Lebanon.

In the ensuing play, Gabe Norwood sent Basem Bala to the stripe with the Lebanese missing the rear end of his charities for a 62-all count, 17 seconds to go.

Instead of working out the go-ahead play, however, Hontiveros opted to heave a harried quartercourt shot with still about five seconds to go and missed, paving the way for Fahed’s heroics.

“It was a very interesting win. The Philippines is a very good team because it won against the Americans,” said Serbian Georges Ketzi, head coach of the Lebanon squad which tied Korea at the top of the standings following a 71-65 victory over Jordan.

“It’s a revenge win for us and a good preparation for the team en route to the Olympic qualifer in Japan,” Ketzi added.

“We haven’t been together for most part of the year. The coach is new. I just want to come in and try to contribute to my team. Our main goal is to be 100 percent when we hit Japan,” said Lebanese ace Joe Vogel.

San Miguel-Team Pilipinas took the half, 37-31 with new recruit James Yap scoring seven points in his short stint. The Filipinos opened the third period with a four-point swing courtesy of Gabe Norwood for a 41-31 advantage.

However, the Filipinos were assessed five quick fouls and entered penalty with still over five minutes to go. As a result,the Lebanese threatened 47-44,1:26 to go.

But Vogel was assessed a technical foul after pushing off Taulava and that led to a five-point swing by the Filipinos easing the pressure a bit, 52-44 at the end of the third.

Norwood opened the final period with a slam dunk as San Miguel-Team Pilipinas re-established a ten-point bubble, 54-44, 8:09 to go. But Fahed scored five points including a twiple in a 9-0 burst by Lebanon whihclosed in, 54-53, 5:11 remaining.

Athletes in Action and Kazakhstan bouned back from stinging opening day losses by routing separate rivals. The Americans, who drew double digit scoring from six players, sent Qatar reeling to its second straight setback, 106-68. The Kazakhs likewise handed Japan its second loss, 96-61.

Brian Asbury paced Athletes in Action with 17 points and Todd Hendley had 15. Cliff Hammonds and Alex Ruoff chipped in 11 apiece while Tyler Wilkerson and Reed Rawlings had 10 points each.

Anton Ponomarev led the Kazakhs with 27 points while Alexandr Tyutyunik had 18.

The Philippines is expected to encounter little resistance from Japan in Wednesday’s 3:30 pm encounter. The Japanese have reportedly sent a collegiate team. The RP-Japan match will be shown over ABC Channel 5 at 7 p.m. Wednesday night followed by the Chinese-Taipei-Jordan game at 10 p.m.

San Miguel-Team Pilipinas takes on a tough Korean squad tomorrow in preparation for their meeting with Jordan and Rizal in the weekend.

Reyes said he is wary about Jordan which pulled off a 63-61 squeaker of a win over Kazakhstan on opening day.

“That is bad news for us. In my mind, Kazakhstan should be a tougher team because we lost twice to them last year and in the Champions Cup.But with Jordan winning over Kazakhstan, presents a different scenario,” said Reyes.

Rashiem Wright scored 25 points in 33 minutes while Zaid Alkhas added 12 in that surprise win over the Kazakhs.

San Miguel-Pilipinas faces Jordan on Friday and Iran on Saturday and these are the games that matter most to Reyes as both teams are entered in the same bracket as the Filipinos and powerhouse China in the Tukoshima joust.

Iran got clobbered by Lebanon,80-71 but Reyes feels the Iranis ay be hiding their cards. “Tingin ko may itinatago ang mga iyan,” he said.

bladerunner
07-04-2007, 05:30 PM
Ay wow. RP lost its game to Japan, 86-84. Parehong-pareho nung kahapon, the game was tied with 8 secs to go, RP possession. :o

shyboy
07-04-2007, 06:25 PM
Aysus di ko na papanoorin yang RP team na yan kung sa isang collegiate team lang ng Japan talo pa.*

gameface_one
07-04-2007, 06:59 PM
Japan beats RP Team, 86-84
abs-cbnnews.com

The San Miguel-Pilipinas team suffered another loss, this time in the hands of Japan, at the Jones Cup International basketball tournament in Taipei County Wednesday.

Just like in their match with the Lebanese team Tuesday, the Filipinos absorbed the loss through another buzzer-beater that placed the score at 86-84 during the dying seconds of the fourth quarter.

The Filipinos were leading during the first three quarters before Japan poured in 26 points in the final canto against their 13.

San Miguel-Pilipinas has yet to recover from the 65-62 beating they received from Lebanon following a three-pointer in the dying seconds of the game.

The Filipinos now sport a 1-2 win loss slate in the tourney.

Howard the Duck
07-04-2007, 07:08 PM
baka nagpapatalo lang si chot :P

pablohoney
07-04-2007, 08:42 PM
it was another heartbraking loss... leading by as much as 8-10 points in the last 5 minutes, only to choke in the endgame (AGAIN!) ..

hope by the time the olympic qualifier comes, nakuha na ni coach chot reyes ang winning formula.

nel
07-04-2007, 08:55 PM
The losses due to endgame blunders should teach the team something, though after the loss to Lebanon, I'd have thought that our team would watch what it did in the closing seconds with the game on the line. We committed the same mistake again, and it clearly shows that the team hasn't really worked out what to do during crunch time.

Parang kinakapa pa nila. Or, Chot may just be playing his cards close to his chest, that he's using the Jones Cup to work out the kinks and scout the competition that is present. I certainly hope that this is the case, and the real game will emerge during the qualifying tournament. We just lost to a second-rate Japanese team, our possession with 8 seconds and the game tied, but we managed to find a way to lose, again!!! If they fail to significantly improve their game and do not make it as one of the top two teams, then qualifying may just be Chot's last stint as national coach.

pablohoney
07-04-2007, 09:06 PM
^^ agree. that's what i was hoping as well, that coach reyes may just be playing "possum", kaya lang feeling ko masyadong maaga ang pagamit niya kay ritualo. i had a feeling all along that ren ren was like chot reyes' secret weapon, since danny seigle was scouted already in the last ASIAN games. ;)

talagang nagkakapaan pa rin sila, especially yung mga late addition sa team, like williams, yap, etc. disappointing because they were supposed to have learned their lessons against the Lebanese squad. pero ok na dito sa jones cup mangyari ang ganito, kaysa sa FIBA. nakaukit pa rin sa aking isipan ang pagkatalo natin nuon sa koreans at sa mga free throws ni olsen racela :'(

i-point
07-04-2007, 09:47 PM
Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory...

MrGotti
07-04-2007, 09:51 PM
There is no excuse for loosing to a japanese Collegiate team. Loosing in purpose will not help the team. It will greatly deoralize the team as well as the Phillipine fans. Ano pa kaya kung yung totoong Japanese team na ang kalaban natin?! Matatambakan lang tayo. Enough with keeping your cards to your chest gimick dahil sawang sawa na kami na makitang taluhan ang Pilipinas.

yungha
07-05-2007, 09:16 AM
our players are also learning the level of conditioning required to succeed in international ball. the japanese had no great rebounders yet they consistently outran us resulting in 2-on-1 or 3-on-1 fastbreaks. in international ball, you can't jog back on defense like in the PBA; in international ball, you sprint back on defense. case in point - japan's winning shot yesterday was a 2-on-0 fastbreak.

also, in the PBA, teams would tend to give up after falling behind as much as the japanese did yesterday. in int'l ball, there's much more pride involved and teams don't easily give up. it would help if our players had a bit more pride as well. parang wala eh.

shyboy
07-05-2007, 10:25 AM
Parang naniniwala na ako sa sinasabi ng erpat ko habang nanunuod kami nung games against the US and Lebanon. It's the PBA that killed our chances in international competitions. Gaya-gaya kasi tayo sa NBA eh. Concentration is on individual performances. Concentration is on entertainment. These are the reasons kung bakit tamad bumaba on defense, malamya or fancy ang mga pasa, hindi masyadong umiikot ang bola, madalas nakatayo lang yung walang may hawak ng bola, kulang sa rebounding.

Worst of all, nasanay sa play-for-pay ang mga players kahit college pa lang. Gone were the days when players will fight it out for a slot on the national team ng walang bayad. Dyan mo makikita yung willingness to play for flag and country. Pagdating ng competition, sigurado kang lahat gagawin para manalo.

shyboy
07-05-2007, 10:31 AM
To add: Yan ang dahilan kung bakit sumikat ang Ginebra. Jaworski was one of the last remnants of cagers who played with passion for flag and country. Dala-dala niya yang passion for basketball anywhere he goes. In today's PBA, these are the new generation of players and coaches. You can not instill that passion overnight to them.

Bennie Bangag
07-05-2007, 10:53 AM
mukhang nanganganib si dondon hontiveros sa FIBA-asia. the last two games saw him make key blunders that cost us what should have been easy wins, first against lebanon and then his errant pass against japan.

Mikhail
07-05-2007, 11:02 AM
Parang nangagapa pa si Hontiveros. Hindi ko maintindihan kung bakit. Kung tutuusin, isa na siya sa mainstays ng team mula nung dati pa. Nung laban sa US at Lebanon madami siyang mga malalambot na pasa na madaling nahuhuli ng kalaban. Pati mga tira niya minamalas. Sana pagdating ng FIBA-Asia wala na ang mga 'to sa laro niya.

yungha
07-05-2007, 11:19 AM
another major question i think is - does helterbrand still deserve a roster spot? he's been largely ineffective since this team was formed. perhaps we'll be better off with miller or cool cat cortez? or maybe we can slide norwood down to fulltime point guard, the position he played at george mason, as backup to jimmy alapag. then we can take another big man or kelly williams to replace helterbrand.

just a thought. it's but natural for armchair coaches and self-annointed experts like ourselves to second-guess coach chot after losses like these.

Wang-Bu
07-05-2007, 11:52 AM
Sinabi na kasing sina Jimwell Torion, Dennis Espino et al ang gawing RP Team eh.

gameface_one
07-05-2007, 12:54 PM
Lightning strikes twice

The Philippine Star

TAIPEI – SMC-Team Pilipinas reeled from a second heartbreak of a loss barely 24 hours after the first.

Ambushed by the Lebanese at endgame Tuesday, the Nationals suffered the same fate at the hands of the Japanese in the third day of the 2007 William Jones Cup at the Hsinchuang Stadium Wednesday.

The Japanese fashioned out a shocking 86-84 come-from-behind win sealed with a final-second breakaway lay-up by heady guard Yusuke Okada off a steal by Takumi Ishizaki on Dondon Hontiveros.

It was another bitter defeat for the Nationals, who took control most of the way and led by 12 points twice in the first half only to sputter at the finish.

“We can’t execute, we can’t close out a game. That’s the story of our lives here,” said RP team coach Chot Reyes.

“From day one, natataranta at nawawala ang diskarte sa endgame ( they’re rattled, lost their focus at endgame). It’s my fault because I couldn’t give them good shots,” Reyes added.

The Nationals still had a chance to force overtime in the final second but Ishizaki deflected an alley-oop pass by Gabe Norwood to Kelly Williams.

The Japanese scored their first win in the tourney following a 77-90 shellacking by the hosts Monday and a 61-96 massacre by the Kazakhs Tuesday. The Nationals, who stunned the Athletes in Action of the United States, 72-67, on opening day, on the other hand, suffered a second loss after an equally numbing defeat to the Lebanese, 62-65, Tuesday.

It was practically the same story as in the RP-Lebanon contest with the Nationals blowing a 10-point fourth-quarter lead as they couldn’t hit a basket at the finish.

And they couldn’t plot a decent play, losing two possessions on passing errors in the final minute.

An errant pass by Hontiveros to Jayjay Helterbrand was turned by Okada into a precious twinner on a lay-up with time down to one second as the Japanese surged ahead at 86-84 after playing catch-up the entire last three quarters.

Earlier, firebrand Shoei Kikuchi, who scored a game-high 27 points, finished a transition play by the Japanese on a three-pointer to tie the count at 84-all with time down to 8.5 seconds.

Team Philippines sued for time but still couldn’t execute a play as it struggled against the Japanese’ efficient defense.

Reyes probably committed a tactical error in keeping Eric Menk and James Yap on the floor for long in the payoff period.

Renren Ritualo was fielded back only in the final second although the Talk n Text hotshot went 7-of-9 from the three-point area in the first half.

Earlier, Lebanon proved its three-point win over RP was no fluke as it walloped Kazakhstan, 90-77, for its third win in a row.

Qatar broke into the win-column with a 74-72 decision over Iran.

gameface_one
07-05-2007, 01:05 PM
Loss brings back Asian Games nightmare

By YUGEL LOSORATA
mb.com.ph

THE RP National squad may have caught the fancy of local basketball fans when it defeated defending champion Athletes In Action from the United States in their Jones Cup opener, 72-67.

But a stinging loss to Lebanon definitely extinguished the short-lived euphoria, with this shocking episode reminding many of a nightmare too bitter to forget.

The buzzer-beating trey that beat the Filipinos in their Tuesday’s game against Lebanon brought back the nightmare a last-second trey that knocked off Philippines from the finals’ race during the Asian Games in Busan, South Korea five years ago.

Korean point guard Lee Sang Min made our basketball-crazy country cry when he erased a two-point Philippine lead in the endgame of that Asian Games tussle, arranging the Koreans to a title showdown with the mighty China which they eventually beat for the crown.

This time, Lebanese Rony Fahed drove down the court in the dying seconds with the game tied at 62-all. His last-gasp basket went in, shocking the San Miguel-Team Pilipinas which led all throughout the game and appeared headed for a second straight win in as many games.

Though RP coach Chot Reyes implied that his team would rather lose in the ongoing Jones Cup and win in the Tokushima tournament which is the real target of the Nationals, the loss was still something of a big setback, especially for local fans who watched them beat the defending champions.

For some critics, the game was a realization that the sad memory in Busan can happen again and again, and that the Nationals should be wary of that.

With time down to two minutes during the Tuesday match, Filipino anchors, who described the Filipino breakdown as a ‘freak ending,’ said that it would be a test of character for the Nationals whether they can hang on to their lead or not.

With the RP leading 62-56, they began missing while the Lebanese inched their way with a triple from Omar El Turk and two free throws from Fadi El Khatib.

But what that did them in was when Mark Caguioa was called for a lifting violation while Dondon Hontiveros hurriedly made a shot when in fact they still have five seconds remaining to look for a better option.

In October 2002, the RP Team, then coached by Jong Uichico, lost to South Korea in the semifinal match in a most harrowing way possible.

That game was dubiously notable for Olsen Racela missing two crucial free throws in the final seconds that could have put our Nationals ahead by four. Instead, his two misses in the stripes, something he doesn’t normally make in the PBA, gave the Koreans the chance to tie or win the game which they did almost calmly.

Racela, who turned from hero to bust on that ‘painful’ game, had enlarged a photo of himself yelling after pulling down a key trey in the final minute of that game.

"I wanted to remember that game with that shot," he was quoted in report.

The 29th Jones Cup suddenly became a much-talked about appetizer for the Olympic qualifying tournament with ABC-5 televising the games.

For some, this tourney is a peep through for many Pinoy fans as to how the rigid training and hardcourt tests have strengthened our Nationals in time for the big shot at returning to the Olympic fold.

Kerby Raymundo seemed irritated to some negative comments from armchair experts analyzing their performances.

He said on a TV interview, "Kahit ano pa sabihin nila, mahirap talaga ang training namin ‘tapos may maririnig ka pa. Sana suportahan na lang kami para sa bayan naman ‘tong ginagawa namin e."

He is right in saying that and Filipino basketball fans are generally in support of their campaign.

But in the end, it’s still the result that matters most. And a loss like that to Lebanon, South Korea, or against any other team for that matter, is simply too hard to take for local fans watching the games with passion.

JonarSabilano
07-05-2007, 07:46 PM
Team Pilipinas gets one over Korea, 88-84. Taulava showed great poise in the endgame without Ha Seung-jin inside.

yungha
07-05-2007, 08:07 PM
congrats! good game. this time we were loose in the endgame, not jittery and tentative. and this time we executed when we needed to and got defensive stops when we needed them.

good job. keep it up.

keempee
07-05-2007, 08:19 PM
nagmukhang maliit si taulava compared don sa koreano. but he played good defense on ha seung-jin, although mukhang takot kasi sa banggaan yung koreano. it reminded me of chito loyzaga's great guarding of the north korean center (ri ba yon? yung mga 7"4' ata) in the 1990 asiad.

the team played much better compared to the 3 previous games. there was more fluidity and movement. dami pa din weak passes resulting into interceptions. and i dont know what it is about international basketball, but good ballhandlers like helterbrand, caguiao and even alapag seem to be committing more than their average share of violations (wag na natin isama yung double dribble against caguiao the other game. the ref blew that one.).

JonarSabilano
07-05-2007, 08:30 PM
nagmukhang maliit si taulava compared don sa koreano. but he played good defense on ha seung-jin, although mukhang takot kasi sa banggaan yung koreano. it reminded me of chito loyzaga's great guarding of the north korean center (ri ba yon? yung mga 7"4' ata) in the 1990 asiad.

Ri Myung-Hun. 7'9". Same guy whom Asi tried to dunk over in 2002.

gameface_one
07-05-2007, 08:50 PM
Pinoy dribblers beat Korea, 88-84
abs-cbnnews.com

The San Miguel-Pilipinas team bounced back at the Jones Cup International basketball tournament by beating Korea, 88-84, in Taipei County Thursday.

The Filipinos boosted their morale by eking a hard-fought fourth quarter performance and pouring in 19 points against Korea’s 16.

Korea was leading by three points at the end of the first half, forcing the Filipinos to sink in 29 points in the third quarter.

The Filipinos came out of a hard grind in the final canto as the Koreans tightened theire defense.

San Miguel-Pilipinas came out of a heart-breaking 86-84 loss to Japan on Wednesday. They were also beaten by Lebanon, 65-62, in a similar fashion on Tuesday.

The Filipinos now sport a 2-2 win loss slate in the tourney.

jie_unit
07-05-2007, 10:15 PM
GOOD GAME!! buti na foul out c dondon.. Respect kay Dondon and i know magaling cya..pero kabado lng ako pag anjan cya ng last 2min.. bka sa endgame na naman tyo matalo.. i think chot is the problem now... masydo cyang pa-poise, pa-cool.. i mean dpat may killer instinct..da whole game especially pagdating sa crunchtime.. Nakakinis din ung pag-shuffle ng players.. Tyo lng ung team na ganun.. I mean, i know wer testing all the players and looking for the right combination pero its causing us the game... Hnd makalaro ng maayos ung mga players if u keep on removing them.. Just like in the case of Ren Ren against Japan.. He was on fire the entire 1st half (21points) but limited minutes sa 2nd half..

Asi was the best player for me knina.. Ganda ng dunk ni Gabe nung huli! Ang masasabe ko lng.. Nag mmature na din tyo kht papano.. And we have a good chance.. I hope manalo tyo sa fiba-asia.. Lets keep on supporting, One love!

Wang-Bu
07-06-2007, 09:00 AM
Sa kartadang 2-2 ano na bale lagay natin sa torneo? Ano kailangang mangyari para makapasok man lang tayo sa championship game?

Bennie Bangag
07-06-2007, 09:05 AM
labas na sa kamay natin ang ibang mangyayari. what's important though is to have a chance to qualify to the next round, we have to beat our remaining opponents, preferably by convincing margins, and hope that no teams will advance with unbeaten records. of course, the quotient system will be used to break ties.

Kid Cubao
07-06-2007, 09:38 AM
mukhang nanganganib si dondon hontiveros sa FIBA-asia. the last two games saw him make key blunders that cost us what should have been easy wins, first against lebanon and then his errant pass against japan.

sabi ng officemate ko na taga-maynila, kung si mark jimenez daw ay "hulog ng langit," si dondon naman ay "hulog." ;D

joke lang po.

easter
07-06-2007, 10:11 AM
Sa kartadang 2-2 ano na bale lagay natin sa torneo? Ano kailangang mangyari para makapasok man lang tayo sa championship game?

Wala po itong championship. Best record is the champion.

Kahapon nanonood ako ng Lebanon vs Taipei game and I wanted the latter to win for our team's sake. Pero I remembered na dito it wasn't a matter of winning a tournament but getting better for FIBA. I think pagdating sa Japan a team like Lebanon will win convincingly against Taipei.

It would be better to look at our own progress as a team and go beyond the wins and losses in this tournament.

clutchjedi
07-06-2007, 10:46 AM
i wasn't able to catch yesteday's game vs korea on tv, but was wondering which team korea sent, if it's already their strongest. tried to search a bit and found this informative post from another forum...

http://forum.philboxing.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=50158&p=1793674&hilit=

Re: RP Basketball Quintet.....The Road Back To The Olympics 2008
by jawo on Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:50 am

Jones Cup team Roster 2007

It is obvious that the teams from Asia(except Japan) brought in their national roster. They may still hiding some players but it seems like 80% that their rosters are their true national players. Now it simply means this Jones Cup will be a preview of what is going to happen in Tokushima.

...Qatar, Lebanon, Kazakshtan and Iran are parading almost the same line up of their national teams in 2006. Qatar is fielding a 16-man team so I guess their new coach wants to confuse the opposition. Taiwan is also trying to throw us off as some of their top gunners are seating out of the tournament which include high-flying MVP Tien Lei and and US BYU DIv-1 product Wu Tai-Ho. On the other hand, Iran has a pair of 7-footers.

Two teams that I want discuss with you and please also share what you have in mind.

South Korea - We have been clueless of what team the Sokors will bring. Now guys look! They have their own American reinforcement in the person of Daniel Sandrin. Sandrin is a 6-7 forward that played Division 2 school in Seattle Pacific University. Sandrin later transferred to Yonsei University in Seoul and was a varsity player there. He never played pro ball in Korea but he has been with Yonsei for 2 years now. I have no info if he has Korean blood or just that Korea placed him as their naturalized player as allowed by FIBA. His numbers are great! Medyo ingat tayo dito.

Korea's team seems really new, there are no Lee Sang-Min (the RP killer in 2002) and Moon Kyeu-Yoon (the deadly 3-point shooter) but I can recall
- Kim Seung-Hyun (3-time MVP in KBL and Korea's Steve Nash version),
- Kim Joo-Sung (Korea's other potent player at the middle in 2002 against RP) and
- Ha Seung-Jin (the 7-4 giant that played in the NBA with Portland).

I am worried about the absence of Bang Sung Yoon's (maybe Korea is hiding him) Bang is Korea's top gunner and their replacement for Moon for Korea's threat from the 3-point range. Bang once scored 42 points in 12 of 19 shooting spree from the rainbow arc in leading Korea (87-81) over Qatar in the 2006 Doha Asian games. Bang also played in the US NBDL league. Mukang tinatago ng Korea si Bang. Another absentee in Korea's line up is resident center Seo Jang Hoon who played better than Asi Tualava when Korea beat us in 2002, but I know Seo is almost 34 now so he is just due for replacement.

Jordan - I am a bit concerned about Jordan because while they have 7 returning players, they have 5 new ones, which include import Rasheim Wright. It seems after the 4th place finished in Doha Asian games 2006, Jordan had a semi-overhaul of their line up to fill-in the gap from 2006 to form a competitive team this time around. Jordan never lost any single tune up game going to this Jones Cup.

Chot Reyes knows a lot about Iran but not Jordan which he said needs to be scouted further. It is good that we will be playing them in this Jones Cup. Jordan coach Mario Palma is a well-known coach in the international field. He is responsible in maintaining Angola's perennial domination of African basketball (8 African titles in 10 years!) making him an experienced coach in world basketball championships and Olympic basketball stints exclusively for Angola.

With Palma's impressive resume, he was hired by Spain to coach in the Euro league. Palma took over the coaching chores for Jordan in 2004 and since then Jordan is soaring high in Asia. The 4th placed finished of Jordan in the last Asian games of 2006 was the highest achievement ever for the Arab team in any Asian basketball tournament; it was definitely a feat for Jordan that Mario Palma has given to them. Jordan placed 4th in the 2006 Asian games without Rasheim Wright, so what more now that they have the prolific American.

nel
07-06-2007, 11:17 AM
Interesting editorial in the Manila Standard. Isn't the recommendation at tad drastic?

http://www.manilastandardtoday.com/?page=sports3_july6_2007

FROM THE EDITOR'S DESK

A national shame

LOSING is a fact of life. And in basketball, as in other sports disciplines, teams lose, either because the better team won, or the loser committed lapses in crucial stages of the match.

But the SMC-Team Pilipinas’ recent 84-86 loss to Japan rankled big time because the all-pro Filipino squad wasn’t supposed to lose to a bunch of collegiate players, who’s seeing action in the William Jones Cup because they merely wanted to get a taste of playing internationally.

Heck, the Filipinos, a pampered lot back home, shouldn’t have allowed the Japanese youngsters to come even close, as the Taiwanese did in their 90-77 conquest of the cagers from the land of cherry blossoms.

Instead, the Japanese played loose and relaxed, and when the opportunity presented itself, pounced on it, and walked away laughing, cheering and shouting “banzais” all over the auditorium while the Filipinos hung their heads in shame.

Comparing the nationals’ loss in a basketball game to our plight during the second World War may be a stretch, but the shame and the humiliation that the basketball-crazy public felt after that loss is essentially the same.

In a post-game interview, coach Chot Reyes ate a large slice of humble pie and admitted that it was his fault why the nationals lost. But during this critical time when the country is trying to regain lost ground in the international basketball arena, his admission isn’t—and will never be—enough.

SMC has invested millions of pesos to fund the team’s preparations all the way to the Olympic qualifying tournament in Tokushima, Japan, and what does it get in return? The Filipinos invested their trust and hopes on Reyes and his wards that they will make us proud and not lose their focus because they’re supposed to be the cream of the crop back home, and what do they see? An all-pro team that could not even win—or even send a game into extra time —in the final seconds with the ball in their possession. If Reyes can’t steer his team against a bunch of youth players, how can we expect him to carry the team against the sweet-shooters of Korea, the skyscrapers of China and the bangers from the Middle East countries?

No, it is never enough for coach Chot Reyes to shout to the world that it was his fault. It’s too late for that. What isn’t too late is for him is to quit the job and allow other more competent coaches to take over, before the team bungles an even more crucial tournament in Tokushima.

To our minds, that’s the right thing to do. Even more, that’s the most patriotic thing that he SHOULD do.

Kid Cubao
07-06-2007, 11:34 AM
too drastic, nel. the team was created to compete in the FIBA-asia olympic qualifying tournament, not the jones cup per se. sa college setting, FIBA-asia is the UAAP, while the jones cup is the fr martin summer preseason league. yun lang, i share the writer's anguish at having lost to japan the way they did.

gameface_one
07-06-2007, 11:37 AM
Fired-up RP five vents ire on Koreans

By NELSON BELTRAN
The Philippine Star

TAIPEI – The SMC-RP team redeemed itself from sorry losses to Lebanon and Japan, playing tough throughout to whip South Korea, 88-84, in the 29th William Jones Cup at the Hsinchuang Stadium here Thursday night.

The Nationals overcame gnawing pressure at endgame this time for the win that served as morale-boost for their all-important match against Jordan Friday .

“Going here, we’re thinking of the long run. But after the two losses, we really think of winning this game,” said RP team coach Chot Reyes.

“We finally won a close game after blowing away two close battles. I’m proud of how the boys put those losses behind them,” Reyes added.

The RP team finally gets to test the mettle of Jordan in their 3:30 p.m. tiff Friday.

Jordan, groupmate of the Philippines in the Tokushima Olympic qualifier, is riding the momentum of back-to-back wins over Chinese Taipei and the Athletes in Action of the USA.

The Jordanians duplicated the feat of the Filipinos against the Americans, pulling off a 69-66 upset earlier in the day.

“Our adrenalin and momentum should carry us. But Jordan’s confidence should be high with their win against the US. Both teams could come out strong for a great game,” said Reyes.

“We’re not yet in shape but we’re getting better. But I don’t think the result is important. Our objective is Japan,” said Jordan coach Mario Palma.

“The Philippines may have the edge. The team is strong, quick and has great shooters. But sometimes, defense outshines a good team,” said Palma.

Asi Taulava, Jayjay Helterbrand and Gabe Norwood combined for a decisive five-to-nothing run in the closing seconds, and the Nationals survived the Koreans in a fierce battle marked by six deadlocks and 12 lead changes.

The Koreans were breathing down their neck at 82-83 before the Nationals came through with the searing attack capped by a two-handed jam by Norwood making it 88-82 with only 10.3 seconds left to play.

The Nationals played a balanced game with Mark Caguioa, Dondon Hontiveros and Norwood submitting 12 points or more in the close contest.

Taulava scored only seven points but played a key role in defending well against Korean 7-foot-4 behemoth Seung-jin Ha.

The RP shooters, meanwhile, matched the Koreans’ 9-of-22 shooting from the three-point area. Jimmy Alapag, Hontiveros and Norwood accounted for two treys apiece.

chief
07-06-2007, 01:10 PM
I hope the Filipino people in General should understand that our participation in Jones cup is no more than a practice session for our basketball team. Kung nababasa niyo yun opinions section sa Philippine Star (parang forum thread iyon)... a lot of them are bashing Coach Reyes. I think Coach Reyes is the one doing a great job of forming our team, in fact even coaching it.

While everybody is entitled to their opinion, I feel the Manila Times sports editorial is just too much. It seems as if it came from a by-stander who knows nothing of what is happening to our basketball-crazy nation. I think he's the one who should quit.

nel
07-06-2007, 01:12 PM
too drastic, nel. the team was created to compete in the FIBA-asia olympic qualifying tournament, not the jones cup per se. sa college setting, FIBA-asia is the UAAP, while the jones cup is the fr martin summer preseason league. yun lang, i share the writer's anguish at having lost to japan the way they did.

I agree with your sentiments. While the losses may be embarrassing and painful, we have to remember that the real objective is to qualify for the olympics. The Jones Cup is only a training tournament, and we didn't join it to win but to get more exposure for our team, identify the weak points, and address them in time for the qualifying tournament. Only after the qualifying tournament should any judgments be made. Chot Reyes is getting a lot of brickbats for the team's performance, but he deserves the benefit of the doubt for now.

Dark Knight
07-06-2007, 01:16 PM
The problem really lies on our system. International competitions takes years of preparations, not 2 or 3 months beore the actual competition.

And to think we are calling our basketball team professionals. ::)

nel
07-06-2007, 01:22 PM
It's premature to say that the team is a failure - we aren't at the point yet where we can measure whether the goal was indeed achieved. Remember, the Jones Cup is still part of the team's preparations, and winning it is not the ultimate goal. Let's keep our eyes of the real target, please.

MrGotti
07-06-2007, 01:35 PM
Why do we always make the excuse that it is not important to win in the Jones Cup as it is just in preparation for the FIBA? Why do the other teams like Lebanon, Korea, Japan, Iran and others who we will e facing in the FIBA playing to win. Bakit tayo OK lang matalo dahil hindi naman ito ang goal natin. Hindi yata maganda yun! The team should always paly to win!

Kid Cubao
07-06-2007, 01:44 PM
it is not important to win the jones cup if it is being used as a tuneup league prior to major tournaments such as the FIBA-asia olympic qualifiers and the asian games. experience tells me we gave away too much when we emerged champions in 1998 and 2002 prior to the chiang mai and busan asian games. because of this, i felt the team is still experimenting with a number of combinations by design or by necessity. also, it has been noted that there are more scouts watching the games than fans. true, the prestige of winning this year's edition is always an incentive, but it comes a far second to the exposure and the learnings they gain afterward.

nel
07-06-2007, 04:06 PM
The Jones Cup is a much-needed tuneup tournament for the team. At the same time, the coaching staff also need to keep their cards close to their chest, so that our competitors can't prepare too much. The element of surprise is still important, and we don't want to be scouted too much.

It would be nice to win all our games in the Jones Cup, but what is more important - winning the Jones Cup or qualifying for the Olympics? The SBP bosses have said that the return to the Olympics is their priority, and this team was formed expressly for that purpose. It was not formed to win the Jones Cup. Qualifying for the Olympics is the "must have". Winning the Jones Cup is merely a "nice to have". Let's keep our eyes on the real goal.

Mikhail
07-06-2007, 05:35 PM
Hay! Bad trip naman si Kerby!

shyboy
07-06-2007, 09:29 PM
While I agree that the Jones Cup is just a tuneup tournament for the FIBA-Asia Olympic qualifiers, losing via last second shots after leading heavily twice is simply a bitter pill to swallow. Tanggap ko pa siguro kung dikit ang laban the whole game with many lead changes. Pero kung lamang ka na ng malaki tapos ipapatalo mo lang dahil gustong mag-experiment, eh ibang usapan na yan.

Kung ganyan lang ang plano, eh huwag na lang nilang ipalabas sa TV yang Jones Cup. You watch the games on TV in the hope of seeing a win pero wala naman palang plano manalo.

nel
07-06-2007, 09:43 PM
We lost again today, by 4 to Jordan. I agree that the losses rankle and it's very frustrating to see the team make what can rightfully be called "stupid" errors in the endgame. It's also almost unforgiveable for a coach to allow his team to give up a lead, lose possession, and have the opponents score in the dying ticks, in consecutive games to boot. To lose to a collegiate team is totally embarrassing. As someone said, "snatch defeat from the jaws of victory". This is beginning to resemble the loss of the BAP-formed national team to a bunch of weekend players and actors.

Something's wrong, and it starts with the coaching staff. Big-time boners like what the team pulled off are almost unthinkable. I really hope that everyone learns something from these bitter losses, especially the coach. But, if we were to lose, it's better that we lose now rather than lose in the qualifying tournament. The only acceptable result is finishing in the top 2 in the qualifying tournament.

However, if we don't make it to the Olympics, then the critics will definitely be proven right, and Chot Reyes will have to go. Right now, his reputation is taking a major hit. I wonder if his coaching career will ever be the same if the team doesn't make it.

Howard the Duck
07-06-2007, 11:07 PM
I'm not that sad with this loss... since we never led at the first place ;D

gameface_one
07-07-2007, 09:14 AM
Jordan gives RP taste of Tokushima

By NELSON BELTRAN
The Philippine Star

TAIPEI – The SMC-Team Pilipinas had a feel of top-level opposition awaiting it in the Japan Olympic qualifier, putting up a brave stand before succumbing to a close four-point defeat to a Group of Death rival.

The tall and lanky Jordan team pounced on the Nationals at the paint and hacked out a 74-70 victory in a preview of their showdown in the FIBA-Asia joust in Tokushima, Japan.

The Jordanians leaned heavily on big men Jamal Almaaytah, Zaid Alkhas and Ayman Idais as they showed up the Filipinos, scoring a fourth win in five games to seize solo leadership halfway through the nine-day Jones Cup Hsinchuang Stadium Friday night.

RP coach Chot Reyes, however, was hardly alarmed by the stinging loss.

“If there’s such a thing as a good loss, this one is it and I’ll take it anytime. We’ve seen them play, and I believe we can beat them,” Reyes said.

“They let their best players play while we kept some of ours. They struck heavily at the paint but we played their big men just straight-up defense. We’ll try to remedy this in Tokushima,” Reyes added.

The RP team mentor had kept some aces up his sleeve, singling out Danny Seigle and Renren Ritualo who didn’t see action.

Jordan coach Mario Palma himself downplayed the importance of the win and was impressed by the way the Filipinos played.

“The game showed that we can beat them but they can beat us too. It would be a tough game for sure in Japan,” said Palma before the international media.

“The Filipinos fight for every single ball and just never give up. They’re a good team with quickness and shooting. They would be strong contender in Japan,” Palma added.

Next up for the Philippines is Iran, another team in the RP team’s bracket called the Group of Death in the elimination round of the Olympic qualifier in Japan from July 28-Aug. 5.

At press time, the Iranians had an even 2-2 record to the Philippines’ 2-3 mark.

Jordan took the solo lead at 4-1 with the Athletes in Action of the US catching up with Lebanon at 3-2 after the former whipped the latter, 81-70, earlier in the day. Qatar walloped Japan, 86-68, also for its third win against two defeats.

The Philippines would have figured in a four-way tie on top with Jordan, US and Lebanon had it beat the Jordanians.

Jordan jumped the gun on the Philippines, opening up with a 9-2 run and leading all the way to the finish although the Filipinos kept coming back from a sizeable deficit.

The Nationals had a chance to pull even with time down to 1:01 but Kerby Raymundo muffed two charities, exposing further the team’s poor free-throw shooting. The Nationals missed nine of 22 free throws in the contest.

NOTES: Asi Taulava downed four bottles of energy drink to steel himself up for his battle against 7-foot-4 Korean behemoth Ha Seung-Jin. He went on to match up well with the former Portland Trailblazer as he logged seven points and the same number of rebounds. He made three clutch free throws helping the team seal the morale-boosting 88-84 win... RP team manager Robert Non arrived on Friday in time for the RP-Jordan tiff. He attended the PBA board meeting Wednesday. Non said Harbour Centre was given up to July 31 to decide whether or not it’s joining the pro league next season... The Jordanian coach believes the RP team is in much better shape, saying they have trained with a complete lineup. “We started training just about the same time as the Philippines. But we’re training with only seven to eight players,” said coach Mario Palma.

Ghostrider
07-07-2007, 11:08 AM
My two cents worth, based solely on the Jordan game:

First of all, I think team composition is flawed. Our so-called power forwards either have no power (Kerby) or are too short or gimpy (Menk). Taulava is the lone big guys with the ability to box out the behemoths which we've been facing.

Helterbrand shouldn't be on the team due to suspect outside shooting.

That being said, with Tokushima around the corner, I don't think its time to mess around with the team composition.

Secondly, rebounding is a great problem. Jordan could have been easily been beaten had there not been a huge, huge disparity in the rebounds. Methinks, a guy like Belasco or Jay Washington would have been a better fit in the 4 spot. Menk is still injured or dealing with the effects of his injury and is not fit for duty.

Further, free throw shooting is atrocious. Alapag, Norwood, Raymundo's free throw shooting could have won the game for us.

Finally, the tendency to revert to the one on one individualistic style of play in the final minutes. Since Caguioa was the only one having success against the Jordanians, he deviated from the gameplan and resorted to isolation plays in the end. The result? A block by Rasheem Wright and a costly error.

In the end game, everyone was standing around and waiting for Mark to make his move. This limited our offensive options and utterly predictable.

That being said, I think Chot is keeping his cards close to his chest. Our main weapon in Japan especially against Jordan will be the suffocating press which we used quite effectively in the second half. Jordan is big, but thier ball handling is quite suspect.

Further, Seigle and Ritualo will finally be unveiled and we'll be more balanced unlike now where Mark is practically given the green light to shoot.

cub
07-07-2007, 05:30 PM
Team Pilipinas won earlier against Iran. 89 79. i think Yap had 18 points.

lekiboy
07-08-2007, 07:12 AM
sa next games including sa tokushima - I wish hontiveros stays in the bench - parang may alat ang batang ito.

Si james na lang, Go YAP!

joelex
07-08-2007, 01:28 PM
i think among the team's wingmen, hontiveros gets a lot of PT bec he is the only one who plays solid D. ritualo, yap and cagiuoa are defensive liabilities.

MrGotti
07-08-2007, 08:41 PM
Who will be taken out of the line - up when Danny Seigle starts to play again.

nel
07-08-2007, 10:02 PM
We clobbered Taiwan by 18 points today. ESPN cut the last few minutes to show the F1 Race Day show, so the final score was flashed only during the PBA game.

Finally, a dominating win over a fighting Taiwanese quintet. The Philippines dominated, but as in the past there were lapses which allowed the opponents to threaten to cut the lead to single digits in the 2nd half. There are still rough spots, and there is still a tendency for our players to resort to individualistic plays and showboat. Kelly Williams clanked an alley-oop feed from Alapag when he could just have easily laid it in. This tendency to try for the spectacular play has resulted in a few missed shots, and in a close game, a point or two could make the difference.

The sportscasters repeatedly mentioned our speed and quickness as our assets, as well as our aggressive defense. The Taiwanese repeatedly scored on treys, as is the usual practice in the international game. We still need to shore up our perimeter defense if we're to succeed.

The American experience has shown that the individualistic 'pro' game the NBA and PBA promote isn't going to succeed in the international arena, no matter how talented the players may be individually. Chot Reyes and his staff should have already learned enough about the international game.

There's still a long way to go. Hope the team finds all the holes in their game and the coaching staff get to plug them in time for the qualifying tournament. There's not much time left.

gameface_one
07-09-2007, 08:13 AM
RP five peaking up, routs Taiwan

By NELSON BELTRAN
The Philippine Star

TAIPEI – Improving by the day, the SMC-Philippine team gave the Filipino workers here a big treat Sunday as it fashioned out a relatively easy 82-64 victory over host Chinese Taipei in the 29th Jones Cup at the Hsinchuang Stadium.

Buoyed by their 89-79 win of Iran Saturday, the Nationals conquered another FIBA-Asia championship top contender in the Taiwanese, underscoring the fact that the squad is getting closer to peak form for the Tokushima joust.

The Nationals established control early for the convincing victory watched by a sellout crowd, almost half of them Filipinos.

Coach Chot Reyes and his players said the big Filipino crowd served as their "sixth man" as they became the first RP team to beat Chinese Taipei in their home court since the RP Centennial Team ruled the Jones Cup in 1998.

"To me, it’s a satisfying win since we hadn’t beaten Chinese Taipei in the Jones Cup for nearly a decade now," said Reyes.

"Secondly, we’re really looking to step up our game. We divided into three phases our stint here. We’re now on the final stage and we’re looking to press our bid. It seems pieces are falling into place," Reyes added.

The Nationals caught up with Lebanon, Iran and Chinese Taipei at third place behind Jordan (5-1) and the United States (5-2) on similar 4-3 win-loss records heading to the last two games of the nine-day, 10-nation tourney.

They play Qatar Sunday and Kazakhstan Monday.

"In our first three games here, we’re looking how we could get together with the entry of new players. The next three games were the discovery phase since we’re to play Jordan and Iran. Against Chinese Taipei, Qatar and Kazakhstan, naghahanap na kami ng pangdiin. Matagal na tayong hindi nanalo sa kanila," said Reyes.

Against the Taiwanese, the Nationals pressed their bid early while working on a fluid motion game and torrid outside shooting.

As in their previous games, the RP team‚s guards and wingmen accounted for much of the team‚s production with Mark Caguioa and Jimmy Alapag finishing in double figures with 20 and 15 points, respectively.

Reyes, however, thought the team‚s collective effort defensively spelled the big difference in the contest.

"We talked about working harder on defense and we‚ll continue to work on it. Kasi tingin ko sa depensa magkakatalo sa Tokushima," said Reyes.

The Nationals dominated the Taiwanese, leading by as many as 20 points to great satisfaction of the flag-waving Filipino supporters, who almost matched the number of the hometown crowd in the venue.

"They (the Filipino crowd) gave us an adrenaline drive. They neutralized the local crowd that it looked like we‚re playing on our home court," said Reyes.

gameface_one
07-09-2007, 08:14 AM
Knocking Team Pilipinas

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE GAME OF MY LIFE By BILL VELASCO
Philstar.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Needless to say, local fans are not too happy with the performance of the Philippine team to the Jones Cup in Taipei. Considering that the Centennial Team topped the tournament without as much support as the current team. But before we cast stones, let’s look at the big picture.

Needless to say, local fans are not too happy with the performance of the Philippine team to the Jones Cup in Taipei. Considering that the Centennial Team topped the tournament without as much support as the current team. But before we cast stones, let’s look at the big picture.

Against the Athletes In Action (representing the US), Jimmy Alapag was flawless with 5-of-5 from the field on his way to 19 points. Mark Caguioa scored nine straight for the Philippines down the stretch. Our players used their experience against the young American selection and knocked off the defending champions.

With less than four seconds remaining and looking at overtime, El Fadi Khatib led a mad dash to Lebanon’s basket and passed off to Rony Fahed, whose awkward desperation heave banked and rolled in for a come-from-behind 65-62 victory. We were outscored, 21-10, in the fourth quarter. Khatib had a monster game with 26 points on 7 of 10 field goals attempts and 12 of 14 free throws.

The following day, the Philippines allowed Yusutake Oatada to score the winning fastbreak off Dondon Hontiveros only turnover with one second left. Japan upset the Philippines, 86-84. Once again, we were outscored in the fourth quarter, 26-13, this time. Even after referees reset the clock back to one second, the Philippines wasn’t able to tie the score. Renren Ritualo hit seven of 10 three-pointers.

Against South Korea, the Philippines held on to preserve the win, 88-84. Gabe Norwood dunked with 10.5 seconds to go for a six-point lead. Mark Caguioa led the Filipinos with 19.

Jordan, meanwhile, used size against us, as Team Pilipinas countered with its backcourt. Caguioa and Alapag combined for 42 points in another loss, 74-70. Jamal Almaaytah had 18 points and five rebounds, while Ayman Idais had 15 points and seven rebounds.

Facing Iran, the Philippines bombed away from outside, knocking down 10 three-pointers in an 89-79 win. The Pinoys burst away with a 32-22 second quarter. James Yap led with 18 points, followed by Alapag’s 14 points and eight assists.

The big picture is that, although we may be unhappy with the losses, the Philippines is still a work in progress, and experimenting is part of the strategy. Head coach Chot Reyes has used different combinations of players, because this is the only way he can study combinations in actual combat, as it were. Second, we are still missing Danny Seigle, who is probably the best closer on the team. The final composition of the team has not been determined, and whose hands to put the ball into when the game is on the line is still a question mark.

Third, and the point Filipino fans have had trouble comprehending, is that the Jones Cup is just a tool. It is not the goal. It is a stepping stone, a part of the process. Given the two years lost due to the BAP stalemate, other tournaments have to be used as the laboratory for our team’s growth. Winning the Jones Cup won’t mean anything if we blow the FIBA-Asia tournament. We are merely taking the situation given us, and making the best of it.

So, for now, some of us are reserving our being upset – and our judgment – until we get to the FIBA-Asia.

yungha
07-09-2007, 11:05 AM
Who will be taken out of the line - up when Danny Seigle starts to play again.

james YEP perhaps?

Kid Cubao
07-09-2007, 11:13 AM
tingin ko si KG canaleta's slot will be taken up by danny seigle. moreover, we will NEED his unquestioned ability to finish off close games in tokushima.

Kid Cubao
07-09-2007, 11:34 AM
breaking down the progress of the RP men's national team, adapted from the discussions at pex:

coach chot, in an interview, cited that the team's participation can be broken down in three phases. the first part, he said, was "to see how we can get together and play everybody." the result? RP won vs the USA AIA in its season opener, but dropped the next two games against lebanon and japan. 1-3.

the second part, according to coach chot, is where they faced iran and jordan, so that comprised the "discovery phase." the result? RP won vs korea, lost to jordan, and beat iran. 2-1.

the third part, as explained by coach chot, is what he called "pandiin na phase" wherein they will try to press their attack against teams they found great difficulty in the past such as taiwan, qatar, and kazakhstan. the result? we've already bludgeoned taiwan last night. today we face qatar. let's hope coach chot's project objectives all fall into place.

Wang-Bu
07-09-2007, 12:20 PM
JIMWELL FOR RP TEAM!

Howard the Duck
07-09-2007, 01:08 PM
JIMWELL FOR RP TEAM!

sama mo na sina junthy at topex 8)

JonarSabilano
07-09-2007, 05:34 PM
Team Pilipinas just won over Qatar, 88-80. Our team led by as much as 19 before the Qataris made a surge. Coach Chot was ejected in the 3rd.

RockLobster
07-09-2007, 06:50 PM
^That's a bit of good news... I mean the win, not Coach Chot's ejection. ;D

I hope I heard it right, but the tournament format does not have a title game such that the champion is determined thru the quotient system? Is this accurate? After this win, does Team Pilipinas still have a shot at the title?

AnthonyServinio
07-09-2007, 07:48 PM
* * *THOSE TWO losses to Lebanon and Japan will really go back to haunt us.* If we won at least one of those two games, we should be in the hunt for the championship!

* * *On the bright side, we are now sure of finishing above 0.500 in the tournament with our current 5-3 win-loss card.* That 5-3 card could have easily been 7-1.

clutchjedi
07-09-2007, 08:14 PM
I hope I heard it right, but the tournament format does not have a title game such that the champion is determined thru the quotient system? Is this accurate? After this win, does Team Pilipinas still have a shot at the title?

Apparently Jordan won today (over Iran) so they're now 7-1 with 1 game left...since we're at 5-3 we can't catch them anymore.** :(

Howard the Duck
07-09-2007, 11:41 PM
parang may tinatago ang qatar since they can't be that bad, right?

Kid Cubao
07-10-2007, 05:08 AM
team philippines is hitting its stride just in time for tokushima.

gameface_one
07-10-2007, 08:31 AM
RP 5 slams Qatar; Jordan virtual champ

By NELSON BELTRAN
The Philippine Star

TAIPEI – The SMC Philippine team leaned on a strong start to coast to another win here Monday even as Jordan nipped Iran, 72-71, to all but wrap up the 29th William Jones Cup international basketball tournament.

The RP quintet waylaid Doha Asiad silver medalist Qatar, 88-80, to keep a share of third place going into the final play date of the nine-day, 10-nation tourney at the Hsinchuang Stadium.

Again displaying a fluid-motion game and near-impeccable shooting, the Nationals dominated the first half and held off repeated rallies by the Qataris in the final 20 minutes of play to boost their stock here to five wins against three defeats.

Noting that the Qataris went to work only in the second half, RP coach Chot Reyes was disappointed over his charges stand in the contest.

"If Jordan was a good loss, this was an ugly win. I think we came out with great effort and energy in the first half, then we relaxed thinking the game was over," rued Reyes.

"When Qatar came back, they outscored us, 14-2, in the first five minutes of the third quarter. That’s unacceptable. We should know by now that we should maintain our level (of play) regardless of what our opponents do," Reyes added.

Reyes felt he needed to be ejected from the game on technical fouls to fire up his troops. He took the exit with 32 seconds left in the third quarter and the RP team ahead by 13, 62-49.

"I saw in their body language at half-time, they’re relaxing, thinking the game was over. It’s good these things are happening now, we can still address these," said Reyes.

The RP team closes out its stint here against Kazakhstan at 3:30 p.m. Tuesday with Reyes calling the contest a "set-up or foundation game since chances are we’re to play them in the quarterfinals if we make it past the eliminations in Tokushima."

Mark Caguioa, though playing with a slight fever, scored 14 points to pace the Nationals, who also drew double-digit outputs from Kelly Williams, Dondon Hontiveros, Jimmy Alapag and Asi Taulava.

As in their game against the Taiwanese, the Nationals came out with their guns ablaze and established control early with a 28-10 bulge going into the second quarter.

The Filipinos opened the game with a 15-2 run and closed the first period with three straight triples from Caguioa and Hontiveros.

The RP squad fired six treys in the first half, the last from Mick Pennisi touching off a 10-to-nothing run that gave the Nationals their biggest lead at 47-26.

Jordan, meanwhile, assured itself of the championship on a stirring come-from-behind win over Iran.

"This win by Jordan installed them as a favorite in Group A in the FIBA-Asia championship. The ranking would be China, Jordan, the Philippines and Iran," said Reyes.

"I think at this point, Jordan is playing at its highest level. They are very efficient, very tall, very smart, they move well, they know what to do," added Reyes.

Reyes, however, stressed that the Nationals can beat Jordan and Iran.

"If there is something that we have learned in the Jones Cup, something we can bring back home and take with us to Japan, it is the notion that we can beat Jordan and Iran in our group," said Reyes.

Mikhail
07-10-2007, 05:28 PM
Grabe! Biglang naging malamya tayo tapos todo init ang mga Kazakhs. Mukhang si Alapag lang at si Caguioa ang may puso sa laro (at dalawang beses nanahod si Caguioa, hehe). Ibang klase yung #13, yung mukhang pinoy. Hindi ata nag mintis.

Ngayong tapos na ang Jones Cup:

1. Itinatago ba si Ritualo?
2. Sana minor injury lang si James Yap. Maganda ang performance niya sa Jones Cup.
3. Kumusta na kaya si Siegle?
4. Kinakain lang ng buhay si Menk. Mukhang di pa fully recovered galing sa injury, ambagal niya gumalaw. Kaso sino ang pwede pumalit na sentro? Si Thoss kaya (kaso nasa PBA finals, argh)?
5. Isingit si Tubid sa team ;D

Kid Cubao
07-10-2007, 05:40 PM
they ran out of gas, the way i see it. alapag and caguioa are being unleashed as "showcase guys" so the opponents can key on them while keeping guys like seigle, james yap, renren ritualo, and perhaps a surprise pacakage under the radar.

ultimately, chot reyes as head coach will be the one to tell if we're already up for the challenges ahead.

Mikhail
07-10-2007, 06:30 PM
Demmit, that makes sense! Puro iso and clear sa kanila..

..unless wala talaga tayo plays hehehe :D

Dark Knight
07-10-2007, 09:45 PM
Now what will be our chances in the coming FIBA-Asia Championships? ;D

yungha
07-10-2007, 10:26 PM
they ran out of gas, the way i see it. alapag and caguioa are being unleashed as "showcase guys" so the opponents can key on them while keeping guys like seigle, james yap, renren ritualo, and perhaps a surprise pacakage under the radar.

ultimately, chot reyes as head coach will be the one to tell if we're already up for the challenges ahead.

of all our losses, this was the one i'm most bothered about. it seemed the kazakhs were in a totally different league, that there was a great disparity between our two teams, that they could beat us easily and we can't do anything about it. i hope coach chot closes the gap and finds a way to beat the kazakhs in tokushima.

a few years back, pinaglalaruan at tinatambakan lang natin ang mga to...

nel
07-10-2007, 10:50 PM
I just hope it's due to one or more of the following:

we had an off day
our players were tired after successive playdates
the Kazakhs were uncommonly hot
Chot didn't want to risk any injuries so the boys didn't go flat out
the team was avoiding being scouted more thoroughly

Yeah, it's frustrating, but let's wait until after the qualifiers before we judge Chot and the team. However, by then it'll be too late to make any adjustments. We just have to trust that they really know what they're doing.

Howard the Duck
07-11-2007, 12:40 AM
The last day was a crazy day actually, if you'll ask me:

lowly Japan won over Jordan
Kazakhs win over the Pinoys
AIA lose to Iran

Kid Cubao
07-11-2007, 05:16 AM
of all our losses, this was the one i'm most bothered about. it seemed the kazakhs were in a totally different league, that there was a great disparity between our two teams, that they could beat us easily and we can't do anything about it. i hope coach chot closes the gap and finds a way to beat the kazakhs in tokushima.

a few years back, pinaglalaruan at tinatambakan lang natin ang mga to...

we were actually keeping in stride with team borat until the middle of the 3rd quarter. then suddenly they all rediscovered their shooting touch from beyond the 3 pt arc and consequently opened up the game. talagang may kasama nang swerte yung pagkapanalo nila, at kung kelan naman binuwenas ang kalaban, tayo naman ang inalat.

asian basketball became a lot more competitive after the breakup of the former soviet states into new central asian republics. if you ask me, kazakhstan basketball is no different from european basketball. to beat team borat, we need more exposure against european ballclubs the same way we need to get exposed to african basketball in order to familiarize with middle eastern teams.

i'm still optimistic about team pilipinas's chances. kung di sa beijing, baka sa london. ang mahalaga'y marami na tayong natutunan at nalaman sa maikling panahon mula nung pinayagan tayo muli ng FIBA.

gameface_one
07-11-2007, 08:51 AM
RP 5 succumbs to Kazakhs, takes third place

By NELSON BELTRAN
The Philippine Star

TAIPEI – The SMC-Philippine quintet got another grim reminder of what awaits the team in the Tokushima Olympic qualifier as the Nationals fell to a 90-107 ambush by Kazakhstan at the close of the 29th William Jones Cup at the Hsinchuang Stadium here Tuesday night.

The Nationals came out flat and were pounded by Kazakhstan, blowing a chance for a second-place finish in the nine-day, 10-nation tourney.

The RP squad wound up with a 5-4 win-loss record and secured third place after Korea upended Chinese-Taipei, 82-59, in the final match.

The Nationals figured in a five-way tie with the host, Iran, United States and Korea but took third place on superior quotient. Jordan won the championship followed by Lebanon.

The loss so infuriated RP team coach Chot Reyes that he went straight to their vehicle after the game, doing away with the usual post-game huddle with his charges.

“I saw it coming since the second half of yesterday’s game against Qatar. I tried to remedy the situation by practicing early this morning,” said Reyes.

“Kazakhstan is a good team. We’ve had a bad record against them. I don’t mind losing to them but not this way. This is unacceptable,” added Reyes, feeling his players hardly put up an effort against the Kazakhs.

The Philippines is now 0-4 against Kazakhstan since the Busan Asian Games. The Nationals lost the battle for the bronze medal to the Kazakhs in the 2002 Asiad and also bowed to the same team in the 2005 Jones Cup and in the recent Champions Cup in Iran.

“Going to Tokushima, we’ll be praying that we do not cross paths with them. That’s the effect of this game. In our mind, we can’t beat them, that’s why I’m so disappointed,” said Reyes.

Kazakh coach Alexey Veropkin, meanwhile, said they prepared a special package against the Philippines. “We made a special preparation for this game. We started out Yegor Biryulin and Gavrilov Dimitriy just for them and our game plan worked perfectly,” said Veropkin.

The tall Kazakh team pounded RP squad from inside and out, going 16-of-44 from the three-point area.

And not even injuries to Biryulin, Dimitriy and Shpekht Andrey could stop the Kazakhs in demolishingthe Filipinos, going for the kill on a 13-2 opening run in the final quarter.

Anton Ponomarev fired three treys in that lethal assault, breaking the game open at 89-74.

A team which thrived on outside shooting, the Nationals were cold from the outside last night, converting only nine of 36 three-point tries.

James Yap had gone 1-of-2 from the three-point land when he suffered a sprained left ankle on a bad fall with 5:01 left in the second quarter.

Asi Taulava getting into foul-trouble situation early also took its toll on the team.

Jordan was beaten by Japan, 101-102, but still won the championship with a 7-2 record.

NOTES: Coach Chot Reyes said the Nationals would be confined to their hotel rooms until their departure for Manila today because of the disappointing loss to Kazakhstan. “No one will be allowed to go out, no one will be allowed to accept visitors. Lights out at 10,” said Reyes… Sixteen days before the FIBA-Asia Olympic qualifier, Fil-Am player Gabe Norwood has yet to get the needed documents that will clear him to play for the Japan joust.... Kelly Williams has long been cleared by the Bureau of Immigration and the Department of Justice as a legitimate Filipino but has yet to hold a Philippine passport…. “With the BI and DOJ documents, I don’t see any problem Kelly acquiring the Philippine passport,” said Reyes.

clutchjedi
07-11-2007, 09:05 AM
i'm still optimistic about team pilipinas's chances. kung di sa beijing, baka sa london.

it might be tougher to make it to london 2012...kasi hindi na host ang china and i think 1 olympic slot lang ang guaranteed for asia - unless an asian team finishes high in the 2010 fiba worlds? pero sa 2010 (in turkey) i think we have a good chance of making it, there should be at least 3 or 4 asian slots there.

on this jones cup
- this may be one of the best jones cups ever, or at least in recent memory. 9 of the 10 teams could conceivably beat anyone on any given night, so you have to play hard and smart each time.

- natuwa ako sa mga in-stadium sound effects sa taipei. may mission impossible theme, kung anu-anong contemporary (pop/r&b?) na kanta, pati super mario brothers music may narinig ako. sa pba kasi, minsan parang sumasakit ang ulo ko sa music e* :D

Kid Cubao
07-11-2007, 09:14 AM
clutchjedi, starting 2008, the IOC and FIBA added an extra slot for asia in basketball competition. in fact, talks are already underway to study the possibility of adding another slot for africa and still another for asia, eventually making two for africa and three for asia. at this point, though, it is more likely for africa to get two slots than for asia to get three slots in olympic competition. maybe 12 years down the road.

clutchjedi
07-11-2007, 09:24 AM
^ oh, okay...i thought guaranteed asian slots had been reduced because of the olympic "wildcard" qualification tournament. never saw news about more asia slots. anyway, thanks!

salsa caballero
07-11-2007, 02:56 PM
Some things to ponder, post-Jones Cup -

a.) The players, to a man, believe that their Serbian coach Vlade _____ , was a great help to them in Serbia. Coach Chot also said that they kept an item in their budget for such an expense. Has his appointment to the RP team already been approved? As shown by our experience against the Kazakhs, there are still a lot of things to pick up on as far as the Euro-style of play is concerned. Hence, hiring the Serb coach will be a great help.

b.) Our speed and shooting are almost FIBA-Asia ready, (hope we're not peaking too early). However, it seems that if we do not out-"quick" or out-position our opponents, (read: Jordan, Kazakhstan), we will invariably get banged and beaten underneath the boards. Let's admit it, we really are that much smalller. Hence, I believe it imperative that we beef up the team with other "bigs" if and when we get to Beijing, (fingers still crossed). This early, an NCAA-hardened Japeth comes to mind. Ditto a PBA-capped Samigue Eman. I understand that both of these guys are getting stronger under the watch of dedicated strength and conditioning coaches. A big help these two are bound to be, alongside Asi at the post. Their 6-9 and 6-10 frames will prove useful, especially when faced with the 7-footers the other Asian countries field, not to mention the myriad Euro and American "trees". Ronnie Aguilar? I still don't know how legit he is. Greg Slaughter? The jury's still out on that one.

c.) We tend to play in spurts. Apart from the Taiwan game which was arguably our best, I failed to see sustained intensity over 40 minutes. I trust that it's only because we are still approaching our peak as a team. Hopefully, come Tokushima, our focus and determination will surface every second we're out on court. As the Americans say colloquially, we need to let it "all hang out" once the FIBA-Asia tourney starts...

d.) Our fitness seems great. I just hope that we are also considering the proper time to "taper off" prior to the Olympic qualifiers. Over-exertion can lead to fatigue or even (God forbid) injuries...Nonetheless, I have complete trust in our coaching staff. I know that more than a miron like me, they definitely know what they're doing, being extremely competent at what they do...

e.) Have we held back? Something inside tells me Chot kept some aces up his sleeve. There's got to be a trick defense in there somewhere, in order to control opposing bigs. (they mystery of the unreported big win we had in Serbia?) Likewise, there's also got to be some production that's bound to emanate from the forward line. We may have exposed our superb guard line in Caguioa, Alapag, et al., but our forward line has yet to have a "coming out" party...Hmmm....

Nagmimiron lang naman...