PDA

View Full Version : Re-open/Merge with Ferdinand lineage thread

Ghostrider
06-25-2007, 10:34 AM
Re: Ferdinand definitely has no Pinoy blood -- he's as Indonesian as kropek

AFAIK, nobody from La Salle has ever claimed that Ferdinand has Filipino blood. Dunno if the Bedans can offer any more details, since he got his start as an aspiring Red Cub, so they may have some information.

Just listened to ITZ's college basketball preview episode this morning.

The one thing that got me was Tony Atayde, Sr.'s (writer for Animo Magazine and Father of Tony Atayde, Jr. - Nike Marketing Director) comment that Ferdinand is a Fil-Indonesian.

He claims that the reason why Ferdinand has no surname is because his father (an Indonesian) married a foreigner (pinay).

With all the conflicting claims, ano ba talaga ang totoo?* ???*

oca
06-25-2007, 11:39 AM
Napag-usapan na yan.

Sa collegiate play, "Lineage has no relevance to a player's eligibility."

salsa caballero
06-25-2007, 11:42 AM
Ghost,

This is a pretty intriguing development. If it's true, then Alberto Aguilera was prescient after all! So, do we get to see Ferdinand on-court alongside Batricevic in the coming UAAP?

The answer is likely a no -- and apparently, it won't be because of Ferdinand's lineage either. ;)

5FootCarrot
06-25-2007, 12:00 PM
Sa collegiate play, "Lineage has no relevance to a player's eligibility."
No, this does not affect Ferdinand's eligibility in any way, but does have bearing on 1) whether he can be fielded in at the same time as a foreigner during a game, and 2) whether DLSU can add another full-blooded foreigner to its roster, both of which will affect DLSU's chances on the playing field.

Just sayin'.

EDIT: Also, just clarifyin' that whether or not Ferdinand's found to be part-Filipino or all-foreign, AFAIK La Salle isn't in any danger of violating any rules about having foreigners on their roster. I don't mean to imply that they're about to have problems again. Sorry I forgot to add that earlier - it was lunch time ;D

Fried Green Tomato
06-25-2007, 01:28 PM
Whether as a foreigner or a Fil-something, Ferdinand is eligible to play.

Barring new developments, I think La Salle is going to submit his application as a foreigner to the uaap eligibility committee.*

As to the assertion (rumor) for quite some time now of Ferdinand's Filipino lineage, it has not (yet) been establlished.

And even if he's Filipino, we are not hiding another foreigner player for our future use.

canmaker
06-25-2007, 01:45 PM
Maybe the mother is from Samar also, like Asi's "mother" ...

====

Whether as a foreigner or a Fil-am, Ferdinand is eligible to play.

Barring new developments, I think La Salle is going to submit his application as a foreigner to the uaap eligibility committee.*

As to the assertion (rumor) for quite some time now of Ferdinand's Filipino lineage, it has not (yet) been establlished.

And even if he's Filipino, we are not hiding another foreigner player for our future use.

salsa caballero
06-25-2007, 02:16 PM
I don't think any of the previous BEN posters said Ferdinand was a Fil-am.

Fried Green Tomato
06-25-2007, 02:22 PM
^^^

my mistake. I really need coffee now. ;D

Rektikano
06-25-2007, 02:59 PM
I also got to listen to the program earlier. Tony Atayde Sr. gave out a lot of misleading info. I don't know why the ITZ people even got him. Just some of his booboos... He was supposed to be from LaSalle and yet he doesn't know his team. According to him, James Mangahas is a rookie when in fact James came to LaSalle in 2005. He said UE lost to FEU and San Beda in the semis of the 2 pre season leagues when it was LaSalle and San Beda UE lost to...He said Marvin Cruz plays for Harbour in the PBL. Actually Marvin plays for Toyota Balintawak...He even labeled Joseph Yeo as over rated. I know a lot of people don't like Joseph Yeo but at least during his UAAP career, I don't think even his detractors would consider him over rated. He won a lot of games for LaSalle whether hitting game winners or carrying the team on his shoulders the whole game.

Now, as for the case of Ferdinand... He said Ferdinand's mother is a Pinay. As far as I know, that's not verified. Again, as far as I know, LaSalle will rule Ferdinand as a foreigner. Therefore, he couldn't play with Marko Batricevic at the same time, at least in the UAAP.

By the way, is there a rule in the UAAP limiting the number of foreigners in a team?

fujima04
06-25-2007, 03:09 PM
^Parang Beth Celis?! :D

5FootCarrot
06-25-2007, 03:39 PM
By the way, is there a rule in the UAAP limiting the number of foreigners in a team?
I think it was mentioned in a recent Manila Bulletin article (which should be posted in the on-line news thread) that the limit is two. But I only have the source quoted in said article to go on, I don't know whether the UAAP rule book says anything different.

Ghostrider
06-25-2007, 04:04 PM
I also got to listen to the program earlier. Tony Atayde Sr. gave out a lot of misleading info.

OT:* I don't know if I heard it correctly due to the radio static, but my favorite commentary by Mr. Atayde in this morning's show was that NU was the prohibitive title opponent for La Salle in this year's UAAP championship.* :o* Kung DLSU-UST or DLSU-UE pa, maniniwala ako.* However, with that comment, I felt that Mr. Atayde, Sr. lost alot of his credibility.

Sabagay, this could be attributed to literary license owing to his theme of a level playing and the fact that every team was a contender.* NU in the title series or even as UAAP champion? what the heck, stranger things have happened.

A close runner up was his comment that Ateneo's Kirk Long could not play during sunday games because his religion prohibited playing on sabbath day.

Sana sina Nel or GA nalang ang ipinadala.* Then again, spoiled na ata ako from reading here on the internet.* ;)

GreenArrows
06-25-2007, 04:40 PM
You're too generous Ghostrider. But I have never been invited to Sports Radio and I doubt if I ever will. That's because of 'stage fright' on my part.

As to Ferdinand, DLSU considers him an Indonesian player. Any playing time he gets this season (note he is still very raw in his moves) will probably be when Batricivic is on the bench as current UAAP rules do not allow two foreign players playing at the same time. UAAP rules state that teams may have a maximum of 2 foreign players in their teams BUT only one can play at a time.

However, some of his maternal relatives have informed DLSU that Ferdinand's mother was a Filipino when he was born thus a Filipino under the current constitution. DLSU is currently looking into this matter but will probably defer any action until AFTER Season 70. There is no rush to research on his lineage. We are happy that he get any playing minutes vis-a-vis Batricivic. If it is verified by the BID AND the DOJ that Ferdinand is indeed a Fil-foreigner, then we will present him as such probably next season. But definitely, not this season.

RockLobster
06-25-2007, 04:59 PM
A close runner up was his comment that Ateneo's Kirk Long could not play during sunday games because his religion prohibited playing on sabbath day.

Funny nga, kasi kung bawal sya maglaro on Sabbath Day, e di Saturday sya hindi pwedeng maglaro, hindi Sunday. ;D

casual_observer
06-25-2007, 05:01 PM
^ ha? Sabadista ba si Kirk Long? ???

Ghostrider
06-25-2007, 05:04 PM
Originally denoting Saturday, the seventh day of the week (or, more precisely, the time period from Friday sunset to Saturday nightfall), the term "sabbath" can now mean one of several things, depending on the context and the speaker:

Saturday as above, in reference to the Jewish day of rest, also observed by some Christian groups;
Sunday, as a synonym for "the Lord's Day" in commemoration of the resurrection of Christ, for most other Christian groups;[2][3][4][5]
Any day of rest, prayer, worship or ritual, as in "Friday is the Muslim Sabbath"[6][7]

Depends on what context. Kasi, iba iba na ang definition ng sabbath ngayon.

salsa caballero
06-25-2007, 05:10 PM
^Greenarcher,

Unsolicited advice from left-field -- it may be better to just stick to presenting Ferdinand as a Fil-for, if that is going to be the initial presentation. If changes are made in the succeeding seasons, the league may again be wracked by controversy. It may well be that Ferdinand is as raw as as a biker's knee after it meets the pavement. However, seeing how the league has recently been bearing witness to controversy due to "principle", you really never know.

Principle is to the UAAP, what art is to low-brow Philippine cinema -- an excuse to show dirty linen to a jaded, amusement-hungry audience...Really, let's just have a great series of ballgames and consign all portents of controversy to the rubbish bin...

See you at the games!

Sam Miguel
06-25-2007, 05:18 PM
Thank God no one's questioning OJ Mayo...

GreenArrows
06-25-2007, 07:36 PM
^Greenarcher,

Unsolicited advice from left-field -- it may be better to just stick to presenting Ferdinand as a Fil-for, if that is going to be the initial presentation. If changes are made in the succeeding seasons, the league may again be wracked by controversy. It may well be that Ferdinand is as raw as as a biker's knee after it meets the pavement. However, seeing how the league has recently been bearing witness to controversy due to "principle", you really never know.

Principle is to the UAAP, what art is to low-brow Philippine cinema -- an excuse to show dirty linen to a jaded, amusement-hungry audience...Really, let's just have a great series of ballgames and consign all portents of controversy to the rubbish bin...

See you at the games!

Salsa, it's GreenArrows and not Greenarcher. Nevertheless, that's really good and sound advise. Rest assured that will play heavily in future discussions, if any, on Ferdinand's lneage. Thanks for your advise.

wolverine78ph
06-25-2007, 10:02 PM
^Greenarcher,

See you at the games!

Salsa, it's GreenArrows and not Greenarcher.* Nevertheless, that's really good and sound advise.* Rest assured that will play heavily in future discussions, if any, on Ferdinand's lneage.* Thanks for your advise.

So what is the fuz anyways about Ferdinand's lineage?

Wingman
06-26-2007, 12:18 AM
Much ado about nothing, IMHO.

salsa caballero
06-26-2007, 10:15 AM
Salsa, it's GreenArrows and not Greenarcher.* Nevertheless, that's really good and sound advise.* Rest assured that will play heavily in future discussions, if any, on Ferdinand's lneage.* Thanks for your advise.

My apologies GreenArrows! To think I am a registered member of your site...I owe you a beer ;)

RockLobster
06-26-2007, 10:50 AM
Much ado about nothing, IMHO.

Agree. Just let the games begin and decide things on the court. :)