PDA

View Full Version : The Mixed Martial Arts Thread

Mikhail
06-19-2007, 02:57 PM
Since Solar started to bring the newest UFC events sa local cable, kinalimutan ko na ang Entertainment Wrestling..

Noguiera is finally making his UFC debut on UFC 73. With CroCop and Nog already on UFC, kulang na lang si Fedor! Maganda sana kung magkaroon ng Couture v Fedor (kahit na likely kakainin ng buhay si Couture). That is kung makalagpas pa siya kay Gonzaga hehe.

Si Kurt Angle daw gusto mag MMA (gustong sumunod kay Brock Lesnar). Hahaha. Baka ma-massacre lang siya.

bigfreeze_bibby
06-23-2007, 08:49 AM
Pre, I'm sorry to say unpredictable pa rin laro ni Couture and it is deceiving. Kahit sabihin mo na matanda na siya at mukhang wala nang ibubuga pero he has that cards on his sleeve na bigla na lang ilalabas and then boom, the next thing you know, he wins again and lives to fight another day.

May balita ba sa performance ni Brock Lesnar? I don't think MMA is Angle's cup of tea but if he really insists to be one someday after his wrestling career, tingin ko he can easily adjust because solid na wrestling background niya due to his Greco-Roman wrestling experience back in college (being a national champion at that).

Where the hell in the world now is Brandon Vera? I've seen him once ni UFC and he's got game. Bigla na lang nawala sa UFC and wala na kong balita where he's fighting. Is he in Pride? K-1? Sayang siya, he should've stuck it out in UFC baka sa title fights na siya lumalaban ngayon and the last time I know, he's unbeaten.

Kid Cubao
06-23-2007, 05:41 PM
bigfreeze, last i heard about "the truth" is that he split from the UFC to sign with elite XC after he was offered a deal he can't refuse: a cool one million dollars per fight!

Mikhail
06-23-2007, 06:24 PM
White assured everyone that Brandon Vera was still with the company and will remain with the company for a long time to come. Vera is currently figuring out personal matters between him and his former manager before he starts actively fighting again.

Hmmm. Kelan kaya next fight nya? Maganda siguro kung ilaban siya kay Arlovski o kaya kay Sylvia..

Lesnar's debut fight sa K1. Medyo corny. -> http://youtube.com/watch?v=k63hOWLBhkY

bigfreeze_bibby
06-23-2007, 09:21 PM
Kay Arlovski muna siya lumaban siguro (referring to Vera). Thanks Kid for the info.

Sam Miguel
06-26-2007, 11:14 AM
I see all of these shows on TV and I'm thinking "Are there tournaments out there that are really and truly hardcore?" You know, tournaments where there are no rules except to kick the shit out of the other guy? THAT would be truly worth watching and betting on.

Kid Cubao
06-26-2007, 12:11 PM
^^ watch the old UFC matches on DVD, from year 1 to 3. yan yung era nina dan "freddie mercury" severn, ken shamrock, royce gracie, mark coleman, tank abbott, kazushi sakuraba, at marcus silveira. they say the old UFC had no rules, pero kailangan pa rin yan. without basic ground rules, a fighting match between unarmed combatants will quickly become a fighting match between ARMED combatants.

bigfreeze_bibby
06-26-2007, 03:09 PM
^^ watch the old UFC matches on DVD, from year 1 to 3. yan yung era nina dan "freddie mercury" severn, ken shamrock, royce gracie, mark coleman, tank abbott, kazushi sakuraba, at marcus silveira. they say the old UFC had no rules, pero kailangan pa rin yan. without basic ground rules, a fighting match between unarmed combatants will quickly become a fighting match between ARMED combatants.

Medyo mas naging cautious na sila this time around as compared to previous years just like what Kid mentioned above. Matitindi talaga yung batch na yan (alang hiya "Freddie Mercury Severn" hahaha) parang may kulang sa list even though I don't consider him that great with the likes of Gracie and company, si Marco Ruas (please correct me if I'm wrong). I watched one game of his puro kick lang sa paa ng kalaban na kala ko ay napakahihina pero bumigay yung paa nung kalaban in the later round. In short, mas madugo lang labanan nung compared today.

Mikhail
06-26-2007, 03:59 PM
Dati, halos wala talagang rules sa UFC. Mga rules lang yung mga tipong bawal mangagat at tumuhog sa mata. Kahit suntok sa ehem, "groin area", pwede (Ngunit isang beses ko lang nakitang may gumawa niyan). Napilitan silang dagdagan ng safety rules dahil sa political pressure. Alam nyo naman sa US, masyadong conservative.

Ang pinakamadaling makitang rule ngayon ay ang mga limitations kapag nasa ground ang kalaban.. bawal sipain o tuhudin ang ulo hehe.

Wang-Bu
06-26-2007, 04:01 PM
K1 na lang with Mighty Mo, 'yung Samoan na matinding kanang kamao. Kahit yata si Mike Tyson walang binuga sa kanan ni Mighty Mo.

bigfreeze_bibby
06-26-2007, 06:27 PM
Actually pati yung belt nung karate uniform ni Gracie, ilang beses kong nakita na ginamit niya to choke his opponent aside from his arms. Kaya nung next time na, pinagbawal na yung mga naka-karate costume and the likes. Lahat hubad na ang upper body.

Wang-Bu, agree ako dyan kay Samoan ng K1, malakas talaga sumuntok. Teka, K1 ba yung naka boxing gloves yung mga players?

Wang-Bu
06-28-2007, 06:31 PM
^^^ Mismo Sir Bibby.

Meron pa bang mga Pinoy na lumalaban ng Yaw-Yan o Kali?

Itong mga ito ay mga katutubong sistema ng panlaban. Sinasabing mas matindi pa ang Yaw-Yan kaysa sa Muay Thai ng mga kapatid nating Thai. Ang Kali naman ang ginamit na basehan sa fighting form na ginamit ni Matt Damon sa mga fight scenes sa Bourne Identity at Bourne Supremacy.

WampumTribe
07-11-2007, 06:57 PM
Medyo mas naging cautious na sila this time around as compared to previous years just like what Kid mentioned above. Matitindi talaga yung batch na yan (alang hiya "Freddie Mercury Severn" hahaha) parang may kulang sa list even though I don't consider him that great with the likes of Gracie and company, si Marco Ruas (please correct me if I'm wrong). I watched one game of his puro kick lang sa paa ng kalaban na kala ko ay napakahihina pero bumigay yung paa nung kalaban in the later round. In short, mas madugo lang labanan nung compared today.

That was him alright. In that match, he fought and won against a guy who outweighed him by close to 200 pounds. In the early days of the UFC, open-weight ang labanan. Walang weight divisions. It wasn't unusual to see slim karatistas and taekwandistas fighting (and subsequently losing) to heavy-set wrestlers and grapplers.

Hmmm . . . siguro bumaba enrollment sa taekwondo and karate when the Gracies showed that sparring is very different from real fighting. Saw a fight where a taekwondo jin connected with a running spinning back kick na hindi man lang ininda ng kalaban nya. What surprises me is why ex-professional boxers never gained ground in the Octagon, considering some states classify their fists as deadly weapons (or is this legal fiction?)

There were three rules then: No Biting, No Eye-gouging/Poking, and another which i can't remember. Sipaan sa semen-factory wasn't illegal but out of "manly honour," hardly anyone must have done it. The weight classes came in order for the UFC to expand to other states where the sport was still considered illegal.

Kid Cubao
07-14-2007, 01:08 PM
the problem with pro boxers fighting in the octagon is their inflexibility to shift from orthodox to southpaw stances, and vice versa. another problem is that they don't know how to counterattack a kick or a hold. my opinion is they have to fight more unconventionally to win. tank abbott was so raw and unpolished as a boxer, and that may have contributed to his success ;D

bigfreeze_bibby
08-09-2007, 01:17 PM
the problem with pro boxers fighting in the octagon is their inflexibility to shift from orthodox to southpaw stances, and vice versa. another problem is that they don't know how to counterattack a kick or a hold. my opinion is they have to fight more unconventionally to win. tank abbott was so raw and unpolished as a boxer, and that may have contributed to his success ;D

Parang practice ba ng bakbakang kanto pre? Hehe. Meron na kayang sumali or currently playing in UFC or any MMA tournament for that matter na ex-convict? Yung tipong may background sa mga napapanood natin sa TV or cinemas na gulpihan sa selda.

WampumTribe
08-10-2007, 12:08 AM
Meron na kayang sumali or currently playing in UFC or any MMA tournament for that matter na ex-convict? Yung tipong may background sa mga napapanood natin sa TV or cinemas na gulpihan sa selda.

The Shamrock brothers were juvenile delinquents who had a lot of run-ins with the police. Nothing major though, just petty crimes. Before the UFC came into existence, Ken was involved in a lot of backroom/alley fights. Tipong Van Damme movie na may pustahan.

Si (Marky) Mark Wahlberg tigasin. Gang member nung bata. May criminal record din (assualt, attempted murder). Maybe we would have seen him in the Octagon kung hindi nya na-ayos buhay nya through showbiz. Pati kapatid nya, si Donnie of New Kids On The Block, basagulero din nung bata. Well, they've got Irish blood . . .

Kid Cubao
08-10-2007, 01:59 PM
i would have loved to see a three-way anything goes street fight among the NBA's most pathological head cases past and present: marvin "bad news" barnes, xavier mcdaniel, and ron artest. police will be on hand not to break up the brawl but to pick up the bodies...

Mikhail
08-26-2007, 01:57 PM
Couture dominates Gonzaga!

Fedor vs Couture na 'to dapat!

Sam Miguel
03-25-2008, 02:01 PM
Kimbo Slice and Brock Lesnar. Best four out of seven. Abangan...

Kid Cubao
03-27-2008, 09:54 AM
anderson silva is the hottest MMA fighter these days. brock lesnar was a big disappointment in his debut against a ranked MMA contender in the person of frank mir. kumbaga, marami pang kakainin yan si brock bago umakyat uli sa octagon.

on the other hand, the brazilian spider was absolutely brilliant when he defeated dan henderson via submission with a rear naked choke in the 2nd round. so my dream matchup is anderson silva vs quinton jackson. yan ang abangan natin...

cub
06-08-2008, 10:56 AM
long time no post here huh. :)

Brandon Vera lost earlier to his Brazilian opponent in what I think was a premature call. yes Vera was receiving huge hammer punches but he's still defending and covering his face. boooooo.

in the other match, I find the fight between Thales Leitus and Nate Marquardt very entertaining, with Leitus emerging as the winner even though he had his nose broken.

THE ONLOOKER
06-08-2008, 02:26 PM
long time no post here huh. :)

Brandon Vera lost earlier to his Brazilian opponent in what I think was a premature call. yes Vera was receiving huge hammer punches but he's still defending and covering his face. boooooo.

in the other match, I find the fight between Thales Leitus and Nate Marquardt very entertaining, with Leitus emerging as the winner even though he had his nose broken.

Dan Miragliotta has his second questionable officiating in two weeks. He officiated EliteXC's Kimbo Slice vs. Thompson which is obviously, fixed. He should be banned for life.

Brandon Vera was clearly robbed but blocking punches without doing any counters, hug, roll, etc. against a Brazilian MMA black belt in full mount in ground and pound is not a good move.

Vera should have not done that since he's doing well in standup and he winded Wernum once in an exchange.

bigfreeze_bibby
06-09-2008, 07:02 PM
Does Vera still fight under the heavyweight division? If yes, then he might re-think again and fight in a lower weight class, say light heavyweight or the same class as George St. Pierre (is that middleweight or welterweight?). Hindi pang heavyweight and body structure ni Vera.

Semenelin
06-09-2008, 07:48 PM
Does Vera still fight under the heavyweight division? If yes, then he might re-think again and fight in a lower weight class, say light heavyweight or the same class as George St. Pierre (is that middleweight or welterweight?). Hindi pang heavyweight and body structure ni Vera.
Rush is on the welterweight division. if vera will cut weight, the best he could do is light heavy, where rampage, chuckie, and wandy will be waiting for him.
I want a spider vs machida match. i dont think its gonna be boring. if machida slows silva, thats something. if silva hits consecutive knees, thats equally something.

THE ONLOOKER
06-09-2008, 08:18 PM

Vera can dominate UFC's heavyweight division because he can handle the "big and fat" fighters like Tim Sylvia and submit Brock Lesnar. He's one of the fastest and dangerous strikers in that division. Going down is not the best thing to do since the light heavyweight division is way too talented.

http://i29.tinypic.com/33onzgo.jpg

His chin will be checked on heavyweight. I can't believe Werdum's "pamatay langaw" blows were effective in Dan Miragliotta's eyes.

Watch out for another upcoming 6'0" Filipino MMA fighter Mark Muñoz in WEC. He trains with Vera at Alliance Training Center and is now currently 4-0. He TKO'd 6'6" Chuck Grisby last WEC 34. Grisby is now under indefinite suspension due to serious head injuries. ;)

THE ONLOOKER
06-09-2008, 08:22 PM
Rush is on the welterweight division. if vera will cut weight, the best he could do is light heavy, where rampage, chuckie, and wandy will be waiting for him.
I want a spider vs machida match. i dont think its gonna be boring. if machida slows silva, thats something. if silva hits consecutive knees, thats equally something.

Machida is boring on standup. Machida-Ortiz was full of hype but was not PPV worthy. Anderson Silva is superb striker with strong BJJ ground game and I expect Machida to use the whole area of the Octagon again when Spider wants standup.

Schortsanitis
06-09-2008, 08:50 PM
One thing great about Brandon, is the guy speaks Tagalog fluently. When interviewed by Dyan Castillejo over at ABS-CBN, Brandon said something like, "..... kaya ko naman yung mga suntok, e. Bigla lang hininto agad ...."

THE ONLOOKER
06-10-2008, 12:15 AM
One thing great about Brandon, is the guy speaks Tagalog fluently. When interviewed by Dyan Castillejo over at ABS-CBN, Brandon said something like, "..... kaya ko naman yung mga suntok, e. Bigla lang hininto agad ...."

His father raised them as a Filipino. They speak Tagalog in their household.

Semenelin
07-21-2008, 11:51 AM
For those who didn't get to watch "The Last Emperor" against Sylvia, here it is -> LINK (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x66r4l_fedor-vs-sylvia-affliction_sport)

CM_Punk
08-05-2008, 01:33 PM
Lesnar faces must-win against Herring

By Dave Meltzer, Yahoo! Sports

On Saturday night, Brock Lesnar goes into the cage with Heath Herring to answer a question: Is previous fame heading into a mixed martial arts career a blessing or a curse?

Lesnar, a former NCAA wrestling champion and World Wrestling Entertainment star, is one of the greatest athletic prospects to ever come into the sport. He has size, strength and, most of all, incredible quickness and reflexes for a man who had to cut weight to make the 265-pound heavyweight limit.

But as he heads into Saturday’s UFC 87 showdown against rugged veteran Heath Herring, he runs the risk that his headlining fame will be over just as quickly as it started.

“There’s always pressure to win in every circumstance,” said Lesnar. “Me, being very new, nobody wants to follow a loser. I don’t want to say my back is against the wall, but I put pressure on myself. There’s no added pressure in my mind, but I want to win the fight.”

Lesnar can’t afford a second straight loss on a major pay-per-view event and still be considered a long-term main eventer.

And with a hefty contract, Lesnar (1-1 overall; 0-1 UFC) is unlikely to be kept around unless he can be a major pay-per-view seller. It’s not a lock that if he loses he’ll be gone, but if he looks bad or is knocked out, it’s a distinct possibility. UFC last year cut Mirko Cro Cop, a similarly highly paid heavyweight, after two losses.

“I plan on being around for a while,” said Lesnar.

Read complete article here- http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=dm-lesnar080408&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

chocoks77
09-03-2008, 01:19 PM
On November 15(16 here in our beloved country), it will be the legend Randy Couture vs Brock Lesnar for the UFC Heavyweight Championship

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=AlpLuYAbpkABl0QDekzU6Zw9Eo14?slug=ki-couture090208&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

wolfy
09-10-2008, 10:35 PM
chuck liddel was knocked out by rashad evans.... tulog talaga si pareng chuck....

Kid Cubao
10-06-2008, 08:27 AM
sa mga bumilib sa earlier hype ni kimbo slice, heto ang napakasakit na balita ;D

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=dw-kimbo100508&prov=yhoo&type=lgnsfinal curtain for the kimbo show]=http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=dw-kimbo100508&prov=yhoo&type=lgnsfinal curtain for the kimbo show

CM_Punk
11-16-2008, 07:14 PM
Lesnar beats Couture at UFC 91

LAS VEGAS (AP)—Brock Lesnar stopped heavyweight champion Randy Couture in the second round of their fight at UFC 91 on Saturday night, earning a technical knockout when the referee stepped in as he kept punching after Couture went to the ground.

Lesnar, a former NCAA wrestling champion and WWE star, overwhelmed the 45-year-old Couture in just his fourth pro fight. Lesnar sent him to the canvas in the second round with a glancing blow that landed behind the ear and wasted no time in landing numerous hammer fists. Couture was never able to recover and the fight was stopped at 3:07.

“It sounds really good,” Lesnar said after being introduced as the new heavyweight champion. “I can’t believe it.

“I just believe in hard work and it pays off.”

The 6-foot-2, 220-pound Couture was at a decided physical disadvantage against the 6-3, 275-pound Lesnar (3-1), who is 31 and at the start of his pro career. Couture (16-9) also had hadn’t fought for 15 months, stepping away when he became fed up with contract squabbles and his inability to land the big fights he really craved.

Read full article here-
http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news;_ylt=AsdqEPvOnXZQxVdKc9BxGSA5nYcB?slug=ap-ufc91&prov=ap&type=lgns

Semenelin
12-28-2008, 02:06 PM
kakatapos lng ng UFC

Rampage > Wandy - knockout. wow, ngayon ko lng nakita sumuntok si rampage ng ganun while going toe to toe with anyone. he wasnt wild or anything, i guess bispong's camp taught him some new tricks.

Mir > Big Nog - this one is a clear win for Mir but i blame the referee for stopping it. yes big nog fell 3 times but nog was still trying to comeout. the last one you can see how slow his hands was when he tried deflecting frank's punches but again, nog didnt seem to be in deep trouble yet. wobbly but not really out.

Sugar > Forrest - new light heavy champ people. I think this exposed how gay Forrest is when it comes to changing plans. he's a great fighter but he doesnt seem to be replanning during the fight. he used the exact game plan he used for rampage. the difference is, sugar was faster and a wee bit more prepared then rampage was. forrest got caught, and as they were grappling, forrest didnt seem to be trying to control sugar. so sugar tried his darnest to hit forrest and eventually, he did. boom. end of story. i was more excited with the mir-big nog fight. who would have thought mir would stick to striking instead of going down. he said he was very scared going into the octaqgon and it showed when he dropped nog and nog presented an opening to his guard. mir stood up and went to striking. that was a classy and intelligent move.

Semenelin
01-26-2009, 02:10 PM
well, affliction just finished their card yesterday. and i bet everyone who paid to watch the event(free here, solar showed it after a few hours) was glad they paid what they paid for.

i just want to highlight 2 fights, barnett-yvel and fedor-AA

barnett was smart to not standup infront of a nasty striker and forced the match in the ground. yvel is incredible, he was on his back but was still throwing enough punches to josh's face. he needs to train in the ground more. if he didnt tap, the referee would have stopped it or he'll loose by a big margin in the fight cards. barnett will now face his friend fedor. i hope he has new tricks up his sleeves for this man.

fedor-aa
WOW! freddie roach taught AA to fight like pacman. he dominated fedor through striking. then he tried a flying knee... WAM, BAM, THANK YOU MAM!!!!
one right overhead and all that wonderful work was wasted. i have no idea what made him throw a knee on "the baddest man on the planet". i mean he was well ahead on striking from a distance. just goes to show, you have to be very patient and fight smart against fedor. he may be a more technical striker but fedor also knows how to box and has monster like knockout power on both hands.

lastly, for anyone who thinks sugar rashad has more than a punchers chance against fedor, dream on. he aint going to walk inside evans to trade punches.
yes, i want a brock vs fedor just to shut Dana up.

Semenelin
01-27-2009, 11:51 AM
i am angry at what i read in this LINK (http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=ArW1GU18r1_9mfQzROttIMc9Eo14?slug=ys-mmaweek012409&prov=yhoo&type=lgns")

Fedor is paid less than Arlovski. He is Affliction! and his opponent received a whole lot more!!! geez, this is the reason why Affliction will go down after some time. not taking care of the Baddest Man in the Planet.

If you dont know who fedor is, please watch this -> Baddest Man on the Planet (http://www.mmatko.com/fedor-emelianenko-the-baddest-man-on-the-planet-documentary/")

arjay_g
04-29-2009, 03:54 PM
Dana White just made a very exciting fight for UFC101

middleweight champ Anderson Silva versus ex- light heavyweight champ Forrest Griffin!!!!

This should wake the Spider up from 2 lackluster performances.

================================================== =====================

UFC signs Silva-Griffin blockbuster
By Kevin Iole, Yahoo! Sports

Ultimate Fighting Championship president Dana White made good on his promise to land a significant fight for suddenly under siege middleweight champion Anderson Silva, telling Yahoo! Sports on Tuesday that he had signed a deal for Silva to face ex-light heavyweight champion Forrest Griffin in the co-main event of UFC 101 in Philadelphia on Aug. 8.

Regarded by many as the pound-for-pound best fighter in the world, Silva has come under a barrage of criticism for his performances in his last two fights, including from White. White said he was embarrassed by Silva’s performance in a decision victory over Thales Leites at UFC 97 in Montreal.

That came on the heels of a questionable performance against Patrick Cote at UFC 90 in Chicago in October in which it appeared that Silva was toying with Cote.

White wanted to find a fighter who would challenge Silva, winner of a UFC record nine consecutive fights, and believes he has done it by signing Griffin.

“Forrest loved the idea and said he’d do it right away, and Anderson told me he would fight anyone I wanted him to fight, no matter who it is,” White said. “So we got the deal.”

The fight will be the co-main event in the UFC’s first foray into Philadelphia, sharing top billing with a lightweight title fight between B.J. Penn and No. 1 contender Kenny Florian.

read the rest of the article here (http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=AiapFHrRmglkPExEjJzLl7g9Eo14?slug=ki-silvagriffin042909&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

elvis
09-08-2009, 02:32 PM
Mixed martial arts clash between an Atenean and a La Sallian (though representing their respective clubs and not schools). IIRC, there was an MMA-type tournament last year where Ateneans also went up against and won over La Sallians.

=========================

La Salle, Ateneo bets clash in URCC meet
(The Philippine Star) Updated September 08, 2009 12:00 AM

MANILA, Philippines - A match featuring La Salle and Ateneo fighters will highlight the 15 bouts scheduled in the Colt 45 Universal Reality Combat Championship (URCC) University Challenge on Saturday at the A. Venue Events Hall in Makati.

Ateneo’s Ralph Mendita, who trains under Hybrid Yam-Yan Club, collides with La Salle’s Meshal Al-Khuzeem in the 160-169 division of the event presented by Colt 45.

Mendita, who grew up in Alberta, Canada, has an excellent boxing background but Al-Khuzeem (Strikes and Submission Club) could be more dangerous because of his solid striking and superior ground techniques.

“Coming from schools with long history of rivalry, they are expected to bring their A-game,” said URCC founder and president Alvin Aguilar. “So we expect their fight to be extra intense and dramatic.”

As in their staging of “Aggression” last July also at the same venue, URCC marketing director Bubbles Aguilar and Colt 45 brand manager Greg Anonas expect the event – backed by Alaxan FR, E-Games, Chris Sports, Seair, Yoshinoya and Tribal Gear – to be another blockbuster affair.

The organizing URCC, however, stressed that while the participants are all collegiate players they will represent their respective clubs in the tournament that will follow the professional MMA rules except that it will be a three 5-minute rounds instead of the usual two 10-minute rounds.

Also worth watching are the bouts involving La Salle’s Jojo Tobang (Hybrid Yaw-Yan), Samsom College’s Jean Marc Martin (Hybrid Yaw-Yan), La Salle’s Chung Chang (MMASC), St. Paul’s Angelo Cristi (Maic’s Gym), Juan Sumulong University’s Nino Banatao (Maic’s Gym), St. Paul’s Angelo Cristi (Maic’s Gym) and San Beda’s Rain Balibalos (DefTac).

Tobang battles PMI’s Albert de Guzman in the 110-119 lbs division, Cristi collides with La Salle’s Andrew Laxa (DefTac) in the 150-159 division, Martin tangles with University of the East’s Justin Daguilan (Sprawl) in the 130-139 lbs, Banatao takes on Sta. Rita College’s Ceazar Militante (CFS) in the 170-179 lbs.

Schortsanitis
08-18-2010, 03:01 PM
Belated congratulations to Eduard "The Landslide" Folayang for winning his second straight fight in the "Martial Combat" competition in Singapore last July 14, 2010, by beating Bao She "The Warlord" Ri Gu Leng.

He won a belt in the 70kg Division, forgot which one, but its a major MMA international event, just saw the fight on ESPN.

Here's the link for more information: http://www.rwmartialcombat.com/popup-fight-card.php?day=5

On a related note, a Filipino is fighting today, August 18, 2010, in another Martial Combat event. It will be Angelito Manguray, against Shane Wiggand of the USA in the 67-73kg Division. Here's the link for more details: http://www.rwmartialcombat.com/popup-fight-card.php?day=7

Schortsanitis
08-18-2010, 03:05 PM
ADDENDUM: Two Filipinos will be fighting in another Martial Combat event tomorrow, August 19, 2010 in Singapore. It will be Ole 'Iron Fist' Laursen versus Nicolas Leconte of the USA in the 70kg Division, and then Sabah 'Persian Warrior' Fadai against Doo Jae Jung 'Dragonball' of South Korea.

Good luck to both fighters. Here is the link for more info: http://www.rwmartialcombat.com/popup-fight-card.php?day=8

Schortsanitis
08-18-2010, 08:41 PM
Here is Eduard Folayang's fight against Bao She Ri Gu Leng, the first of five parts. The rest of the fight can be accessed on the right side of the page:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Bx_hi0bw6Q

"The Landslide" was behind the first two rounds, before starting to dominate on the third, on his way to winning the fight convincingly.

Schortsanitis
08-19-2010, 10:18 AM
* Here is the news result of Folayang's victory over Ri Gu Leng, with pics: http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/7/15/1570757/wushu-expert-and-current-urcc

* Congratulations to Angelito Manguray for his impressive victory over Shane Wiggand of the USA in yesterday's (Wednesday, August 17, 2010) Martial Combat 7 event. Here are excerpts of the news report:

"And in the quickest fight of the night, Shane Wiggand lost to Angelito Manguray in the first round.

As a 42-year-old doctor, Manguray is one of the sport's most colourful characters fighting with a traditional karate background.

The contest was over after Wiggand attempted to clinch and was pulled to the ground. Manguray found himself in the dominant position and started pelting the American with a barrage of unanswered punches.

The referee had to examine Wiggand and eventually called a halt to the contest to prevent further punishment from the Filipino. It was a very impressive performance from Manguray, the latest in a long line of fighters from the Philippines to enjoy success at Resorts World® Sentosa Martial CombatTM."

Read the full article here: http://www.espnstar.com/other-sports/news/detail/item486441/Martial-Combat-7:-Ray-reigns-Reiner/

Schortsanitis
09-26-2010, 06:35 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=ki-ufcearly092510

Mir knocks out ‘Cro Cop’ in UFC 119 main event

By Kevin Iole, Yahoo! Sports

Frank Mir knocked out Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic on Saturday in the main event of UFC 119 at Conseco Fieldhouse in Indianapolis, a knee to the chin in the final minute putting an end to what up until that point had been one of the worst main events in modern Ultimate Fighting Championship history.

Mir and Filipovic did next to-nothing for 14 minutes, drawing the ire of the large crowd, which booed lustily from the middle of the bout on. As the men grappled with their backs to the cage, Mir pulled Filipovic’s head down and kneed him on the chin. Filipovic went down hard and Mir finished him with a couple of hard shots from the top before referee Herb Dean stopped it with 58 seconds left.
More From Kevin Iole

That was about the only action in an otherwise awful main event. Mir said his plan was to get the fight to the ground to use his jiu-jitsu, but they stayed standing almost the entire way to the finish.

“It looked kind of ugly, but I’d rather pull off an ugly win rather than get an ugly loss,” said Mir, a former UFC heavyweight champion who improved to 14-5.

Filipovic didn’t know what had happened at the finish and came over and asked Mir what went on at the end.

Filipovic dropped to 27-8-2.

Ryan Bader, the winner of Season 8 of “The Ultimate Fighter,” moved toward a shot at the UFC light heavyweight title with a unanimous decision victory over Antonio Rogerio Nogueira. All three judges had it 30-27 for Bader, who is 12-0. Yahoo! Sports scored it 29-28 for Nogueira.

The win likely will lead to a match between two of the UFC’s top prospects, pitting Bader against highly touted Jon “Bones” Jones.

Bader’s wrestling was the difference in the fight, as he took down Nogueira several times and kept the Brazilian off-balance with the threat of the shot. In the first, Bader took down Nogueira and landed two huge rights from the top that had Nogueira in trouble.

“The good thing about being a wrestler is having him guess and being able to dictate where the fight goes,” Bader said.

Chris Lytle and Matt Serra each have black belts in Brazilian jiu-jitsu, but they stood and traded punches for the entire fight in an entertaining three-round welterweight battle. That style of fight, though, benefited Lytle, a former professional boxer, who pulled out a unanimous decision over the ex-champion.

All three judges scored the fight 30-27 for Lytle. Yahoo! Sports had Lytle, 30-26.

“What kind of idiot wants to box with the Indiana state boxing champion?” Sherk asked following the fight, joking.

Lytle’s right hand consistently found a home. But in the second, he began mixing in hooks and uppercuts and tore apart Serra in a rematch of the finale from “The Ultimate Fighter 4,” which Serra won.

“I give Matt Serra all the credit in the world, because he could have come in here and tried to make it boring, but he was moving forward the whole time,” said Lytle, an Indianapolis fireman who was fighting in front of his hometown crowd.

Sean Sherk and Evan Dunham put on a mixed martial arts clinic in their lightweight fight, as Sherk survived several deep chokes to pull out a split decision victory. All three judges scored the bout 29-28, with Glenn Trowbridge and Cecil Peoples scoring it for Sherk and Kevin Caldwell seeing it for Dunham. Yahoo! Sports had it 29-28 for Dunham, giving Dunham the final two rounds.

UFC president Dana White clearly thought Dunham won. On his Twitter account, he wrote, “Robbed! Judging (expletive) sucks.” The crowd concurred, booing Sherk during his post-fight interview.

Dunham caught Sherk, a former UFC lightweight champion, with two very deep chokes in the first round, but Sherk managed to slip his neck out on each occasion. Sherk wound up in Dunham’s guard after escaping one and drilled Dunham with a big elbow that opened a nasty gash over Dunham’s right eye.

“I was breathing, but all the chokes were tight,” said Sherk, who fought for the first time since losing to Frankie Edgar 16 months ago. “You can ask any of my training partners; I’m hard to choke.”

The crowd booed lustily when the decision was announced, but Dunham accepted the first defeat of his career graciously.

“You can never tell what the judges are thinking,” said Dunham, now 11-1. “I was excited and having fun being in there and having the crowd join me in my fun.”

In the first bout of the pay-per-view portion of the card, Melvin Guillard outlasted bitter rival Jeremy Stephens, winning a split decision. Judges saw it 29-28 and 30-27 for Guillard and 29-28 for Stephens. Yahoo! Sports had Guillard 29-28.

The fight wasn’t nearly as heated as had been expected. Guillard circled most of the night and the men rarely traded, as they had promised to do.

gameface_one
05-17-2015, 06:47 PM
Muñoz: I tried for finish Barnatt

By Camille B. Naredo, ABS-CBNnews.com
Posted at 05/17/2015 5:58 PM

Mark Muñoz got the lion's share of applause from the Mall of Asia Arena crowd on Saturday. Photo by Richard Esguerra, ABS-CBN Sports

MANILA, Philippines – Mark "The Filipino Wrecking Machine" Muñoz did his best to finish Luke Barnatt in their UFC Fight Night Manila showdown but had to settle for a wide unanimous decision victory as "The Big Slow" proved to be a tough nut to crack.

Muñoz battered Barnatt right from the opening bell, repeatedly taking him down and using ground and pound, while shaking off the knee strikes attempted by the Englishman.

Barnatt not only survived Muñoz's onslaught in the first round, he also got a few good hits of his own in the second, before fading down the stretch in the third.

"I was trying to knock him out," Muñoz stated in the post-fight press conference. "I really did."

"I tried to knock him out, but he can take some shots. He's got a chin on him," he added.

Muñoz said he was happy that Barnatt came to fight. "I didn't want him to lay down," he said.

"He's tough. I didn't want anybody to lay down for me. I wanted to earn it," he added.

Barnatt for his part was gracious in defeat. In an Instagram post, he called Muñoz "a true gentleman" and wished him well on his retirement.

"Good luck helping your son become an All-American," Barnatt also wrote. "He has one hell of a coach!"

Barnatt, however, also acknowledged that the loss to Muñoz is likely to have implications on his UFC career, as it was his third defeat in a row.

"I know that's three in a row," he wrote on Twitter. "But two split decisions, and giving it my all tonight. I'm ready to go again right now. Talk soon, (UFC president) Dana White."

gameface_one
05-17-2015, 06:47 PM
Muñoz: I tried for finish Barnatt

By Camille B. Naredo, ABS-CBNnews.com
Posted at 05/17/2015 5:58 PM

Mark Muñoz got the lion's share of applause from the Mall of Asia Arena crowd on Saturday. Photo by Richard Esguerra, ABS-CBN Sports

MANILA, Philippines – Mark "The Filipino Wrecking Machine" Muñoz did his best to finish Luke Barnatt in their UFC Fight Night Manila showdown but had to settle for a wide unanimous decision victory as "The Big Slow" proved to be a tough nut to crack.

Muñoz battered Barnatt right from the opening bell, repeatedly taking him down and using ground and pound, while shaking off the knee strikes attempted by the Englishman.

Barnatt not only survived Muñoz's onslaught in the first round, he also got a few good hits of his own in the second, before fading down the stretch in the third.

"I was trying to knock him out," Muñoz stated in the post-fight press conference. "I really did."

"I tried to knock him out, but he can take some shots. He's got a chin on him," he added.

Muñoz said he was happy that Barnatt came to fight. "I didn't want him to lay down," he said.

"He's tough. I didn't want anybody to lay down for me. I wanted to earn it," he added.

Barnatt for his part was gracious in defeat. In an Instagram post, he called Muñoz "a true gentleman" and wished him well on his retirement.

"Good luck helping your son become an All-American," Barnatt also wrote. "He has one hell of a coach!"

Barnatt, however, also acknowledged that the loss to Muñoz is likely to have implications on his UFC career, as it was his third defeat in a row.

"I know that's three in a row," he wrote on Twitter. "But two split decisions, and giving it my all tonight. I'm ready to go again right now. Talk soon, (UFC president) Dana White."