PDA

View Full Version : questions on TV coverage

Pages : 1 [2]

bg_eagle
09-16-2008, 04:55 PM
Will Solar bid for the UAAP considering that Kaboom! has mentioned in other boards that the UAAP, save for the ADM-DLSU games and the playoffs (Which is not even guarranteed), doesn't enjoy a high TV rating and pales in comparison to the PBA overall.

I believe the UAAP has its market own market, otherwise nobody would bother sponsoring it. *They don't have the highest ratings but then again, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday afternoon isn't exactly prime time while the PBA sched is. *Considering that Studio 23 has been receiving sponsorships from rivals McDonalds, Jollibee, Smart, Globe and Samsung to name a few, I'm sure the UAAP telecast makes money. *It seems like they make too much money. *Stay tuned to the PBA games. *Considering the PBA has a wider viewership, as long as they are able to keep commercials within timeouts, I'm sure they will be able to do that with the UAAP. *

What Studio 23 does is just plainly insulting to the viewers.

nel
09-17-2008, 02:57 PM
Agreed. And to top it off, they don't listen to anyone. Ah well, here's hoping another network or sports outfit bids for the UAAP coverage and wins.

Kid Cubao
09-17-2008, 04:13 PM
nel, the story i heard (unverified, i must say) is that studio23 is milking the UAAP coverage for every advertising centavo it's got because the revenues generated here subsidize the station's maintenance and other operating costs for the rest of the year. it's a cash cow for them, which explains why they'll never put the concerns of the televiewing public ahead of their own.

clutchjedi
09-17-2008, 06:45 PM
Will Solar bid for the UAAP considering that Kaboom! has mentioned in other boards that the UAAP, save for the ADM-DLSU games and the playoffs (Which is not even guarranteed), doesn't enjoy a high TV rating and pales in comparison to the PBA overall.

I believe the UAAP has its own market, otherwise nobody would bother sponsoring it. *They don't have the highest ratings but then again, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday afternoon isn't exactly prime time while the PBA sched is.

Yup - the UAAP may have a lower rating (less total viewers) than the PBA, but when you consider that demographic's purchasing power and consumer habits - that makes it attractive to advertisers.* :)

Kaya peperahan talaga ng ABS-CBN through advertising and unintelligent coverage, and we're stuck with Boom Gonzales, courtside reporters disrupting live action, and useless hyper / hi-performance plays instead of showing a really relevant or controversial replay.

_weheh_
09-18-2008, 12:03 AM
Televised ba ang Juniors' Finals on Saturday?

nel
09-18-2008, 11:26 AM
nel, the story i heard (unverified, i must say) is that studio23 is milking the UAAP coverage for every advertising centavo it's got because the revenues generated here subsidize the station's maintenance and other operating costs for the rest of the year. it's a cash cow for them, which explains why they'll never put the concerns of the televiewing public ahead of their own.

Kuya Kid Cubao,

It figures. I'm not sure, but it seems that studio23 is losing money and the UAAP coverage is their cash cow. Trouble is, as you said, they're milking it too much and as a result the quality of the coverage suffers. We have to sit through long timeouts (sometimes 2-3 minutes), onscreen plugs that are nothing more than additional commercials, and crappy camera work that misses a lot of action.

How long is the ABSCBN contract with the UAAP?

The_Big_Cat
09-18-2008, 11:36 AM
How long is the ABSCBN contract with the UAAP?

I read somewhere last year that contract will last at the end of 2011.* ???

Kid Cubao
09-18-2008, 11:38 AM
langya. tagal pa pala tayong magtitiis sa mga 'to. kung ganyan, ibalik na nila si joaqui trillo at jimmy javier para mas entertaining man lang yung coverage!

nel
09-18-2008, 11:48 AM
I agree, Joaqui and Jimmy were a good team. I also miss Sev Sarmenta.

The finals coverage is not something to look forward to. Expect 5-minute timeouts, too many honey shots of the audience (read: paid ads), and more crappy camera angles (and missed action sequences).

oca
09-19-2008, 12:27 PM
Di ito biro, magtabi kayo ng maraming pacencia pag nanood ng UAAP Finals. Those 1 minute timeouts will be accomodating more-than-60-second commercials. Infact every deadball ball situation will be an excuse to load those tv ads.

I'll probably pre-occupy myself with some house chores. Sisilip-silip na lang ako ng score. But certainly, I will be watching the replay in full at ch 33 and watch as a critical viewer.

Wala, eh. Manhid ang ABS-CBN.

glock23
09-19-2008, 12:53 PM
Well, DLSU might have beaver lopez as co-manager of the seniors team next year, so expect longer exposure on the green side of the fence. :D

theunderdog
09-19-2008, 02:01 PM
the uaap broadcast has gone to the dogs. i'm acutally contemplating on getting a stopwatch and actually list down how much of the actual game time was lost due toe their advertiisng. we know tv is a business but 23 also has the responsibility to the vieweres.

parang 2 din. bigla na lang may nawawalang rounds sa boxing match for the past couple of weeks. sabay sasabihinh watch the replay for the full fight. hay nako. i wish the solar group fishes uaap out of 23 after their contract is over. ang sagwa na e. i'll never forgive them for not being able to show live nonoy's three point shot against dlsu kahit na inulit ulit pa yung clip sa news.

mahiya naman sana kayo sa mga tao sumusuporta sa inyo. if not, we the viewers may choose to boycott the products who advertise sa inyo para naman mabawasan ng konti. we are not asking for too much naman e. you can call it the gaotrade halfway point, kahit na pa every minute ng game may advertiser na nakalapat we don't care. just show us the whole 40 mintues of the game. ganun lang!

glock23
09-19-2008, 02:56 PM
mag benta nalang ng pay per view para no commercials! Im sure it will get more hits than any pacquiao fight! :D

pio_valenz
09-19-2008, 03:22 PM
Everybody prepare for three-minute commercials. Seriously.

bchoter
09-19-2008, 03:30 PM
mag benta nalang ng pay per view para no commercials! Im sure it will get more hits than any pacquiao fight! * :D
I know you meant to exagerate but I seriously doubt if it will even be close :)

Pahabol: I meant on the average ha. Pero ADMU-DLSU puwedeng puwede :D

nel
09-19-2008, 08:11 PM
Can someone direct the sponsors to this thread so they can see the frustration the viewers feel about the ultra-long commercials breaks that result in timeouts that last more than a minute? Or the late start of games because ABSCBN is loading too many ads before each game? Or the innumerable commercial plugs that go on during the games? What about the camera shots of the audience (of course, plugging a sponsor) while the game is going on and you miss those exciting game sequences like Baclao's 3pt shot?

Sobra na! tama na! palitan na!

bg_eagle
09-20-2008, 03:50 PM
Can someone direct the sponsors to this thread so they can see the frustration the viewers feel about the ultra-long commercials breaks that result in timeouts that last more than a minute? Or the late start of games because ABSCBN is loading too many ads before each game? Or the innumerable commercial plugs that go on during the games? What about the camera shots of the audience (of course, plugging a sponsor) while the game is going on and you miss those exciting game sequences like Baclao's 3pt shot?

Sobra na! tama na! palitan na!

Actually they can front load all they want as long as they show the whole game. I don't care if the game starts late because of it as long as no action is missed. Baclao's shot is something people normally would be talking about. So if people who watched live would talk to those watching at home, di na sila magkakaintindihan all because of the incompetent coverage. I remember watching a game this season wherein during the last plays of the ball game, the commentators were talking about one of the coaches or assistant coaches. The stupid director decided to focus on the said coach for a couple of seconds almost missing the possession. While it really wasn't that crucial, the game was not a blow out and people would still want to watch what was going on. I'm just wondering if the director watches basketball or ABS CBN just looks for a spare director they can thrust into the UAAP.

Incidentally, does anyone think that sticking to the 4pm timeslot is because of the TV coverage? Its usually 3pm if its only 1 game. Its going to be awfully boring for those who came early to reserve seats. Its already been a long week waiting for this game. Those last 4 hours prior to game time would be the longest.

glock23
09-20-2008, 05:09 PM
plain and simple, there is simply no one out there willing and able to match what abs-cbn is giving the uaap! And basides, the uaap is at the peak of it's popularity because of the network giant and it's big business for them as advertisers are paying big bucks for a slot, so expect nothing less than a barrage of commercials and long time-outs for the rest of the series.

My bigger concern is the way Araneta allows over-crowding of the big dome way above the maximum capacity of the place!! all it takes is a (God forbid this to happen)* stampede because of an emergency for them to realize that all the exits are blocked full of people before they learn their lesson.

bg_eagle
09-22-2008, 10:31 AM
plain and simple, there is simply no one out there willing and able to match what abs-cbn is giving the uaap! And basides, the uaap is at the peak of it's popularity because of the network giant and it's big business for them as advertisers are paying big bucks for a slot, so expect nothing less than a barrage of commercials and long time-outs for the rest of the series.

My bigger concern is the way Araneta allows over-crowding of the big dome way above the maximum capacity of the place!! all it takes is a (God forbid this to happen)* stampede because of an emergency for them to realize that all the exits are blocked full of people before they learn their lesson.

After watching half of it on replay... coverage seems to have improved.* At least no missed plays yet.* I'll have to wait to catch the second half and see if they really have improved. As for anybody willing to match ABS-CBN, I'm sure the solar group can do it. If they could do it with Pacquiao, and the PBA, moreso with the UAAP. And I do not believe that ABS-CBN should take credit for the boom of the UAAP since they have done nothing for the NCAA. The product sells itself. To a large extent, the rise of the Ateneo basketball program and the the heightened competitiveness of the Ateneo-La Salle rivalry has played a large part in popularizing the UAAP.

As for the Araneta situation, kung talagang may emergency mahihirapan talaga kahit walang SRO binebenta.* I believe there's only one exit point for GA and two exit points for Upper A & B as well as LB and Patron.* Their overfilling the stadium won't make a difference.* As it is, mahirap na talaga.* Anyway, OT ito dito.

oca
09-26-2008, 10:21 AM
There wasn't much missed plays coming off the time-outs due to the tv ads. But the time-outs became 90 seconds long.

Bago na ba ang rules? :o

Pero kinargahan nang tv ads ang pre-game discussions.

Game 2 coverage started at 4pm, but the tip-off was at 4:25pm. There were 5 short segments before tip-off --Boom and TJ's statistical recap of game 1 and giving their take on game 2, the reports of the 2 courtside reporters, and the views Messrs. Olivarez and Webb. From 4 to 4:25, in between these 5 very short/ 2 minute segments were commercials.

Then, at the final buzzer kinargahan uli ng maraming tv ads BEFORE the presentation of trophies and medals for the runner-up and champion.

Ayun, nang magbigayan ng trophy, the euphoria of the victory on the part of ADMU has subsided a bit when they received their trophy, as reflected on tv. Wala na nga halos yung mga tao sa seating section ng patron and courtside!

Of course, it also made DLSU to wait longer to receive their runner up trophy. Losing is painful enough. Pero paghintayin pa ba yung talunan! IMO, bastusan na yun.

Hindi ko na sinali ang nangyari sa half-time.

The sin committed on the Game 2 coverage was on the awarding. Ampotah, malamig na yung hinaing pagkain!

No, I wasn't watching the live tv coverage. I watched the game as taped on the vhs recorder of my pamangkin.

nastrans
09-27-2008, 11:12 AM
Game 1 had a total commercial time of 57 minutes

Two minutes minimum per break and three minutes ang max

Not sure about Game 2 pero malamang exceeded yung total time ng Game 1.

john_paul_manahan
09-27-2008, 11:15 PM
Ayun, nang magbigayan ng trophy, the euphoria of the victory on the part of ADMU has subsided a bit when they received their trophy, as reflected on tv. Wala na nga halos yung mga tao sa seating section ng patron and courtside!

FYI. You were looking at the la salle gallery. the blue and white community were still lounging around and whooping it up.

Raging Blue
10-04-2008, 02:08 PM
I have noticed that Studio 23 has started replaying selected games from the just concluded UAAP season 71 the next broadcast date after Game 2 of* the finals between Ateneo-La Salle.

For those who have been expecting a replay of the finals games, it looks like you have to wait for a while.

In this regard, can anybody who has contacts with Studio 23 try to get a schedule of these upcoming replays? Thanks.

Raging Blue
10-15-2008, 04:04 PM
I contacted Studio 23 for the broadcast schedules of the just-concluded UAAP Finals this afternoon.

They will be replaying Game 1 of the ADMU-DLSU Finals on Sunday, October 19, 2008 at 4 pm.

Game 2 of the Finals will be replayed on Saturday October 25, 2008 4 pm.

So get your recorders ready for the above-mentioned replays.

I also got information that the telecast of the UAAP-NCAA Bantay-Bata all-star game was cancelled. I presume the game will not be held.

BigBlue
08-01-2009, 12:44 AM
Eric Tipan is getting on my nerves.

bg_eagle
08-01-2009, 11:01 PM
Mentioned this sa BEN but I think this deserves to be mentioned again. Studio 23's coverage is obviously all about making money. In today's game between ADMU and NU, there were more times wherein the coverage failed to return on time it was successful. So many plays were missed because of too much commercials which were repeated over and over again anyway. Plays are also missed when they show the doubles duo. Focus lang sa players and the director seems oblivious to the fact that viewers actually want to see the game in action rather than see who the doubles duo are.

If these things can happen in an Ateneo - NU match, much more will it happen in crucial games.

Just have to get this off my chest. If this keeps up, am hoping someone else is awarded the new contract for the coverage of the league.

Oh, as for the HD thing, who cares, how many people will actually be able to watch the games in HD?

bg_eagle
08-24-2009, 03:36 PM
Dagdagan ko lang ito... yesterday's coverage... both of them puro mali-mali ang info. They were saying that Ateneo had clinched the twice to beat advantage. Di naman.

Boom was also saying that it was a 3 possession game, when the UE lead was 11.

As for the coverage itself, why couldn't they follow the NCAA scoreboard format which had the shot clock and game clock on?

maroonmartian
08-24-2009, 08:53 PM
I would still choose Studio 23 over C/S 9. Me parts ng Philippines na di masagap C/S 9. Studio 23 I think nationwide. I know UAAP because of UAAP because of Studio 23. And to C/S 9? You made me forget PBA. Magpalakas naman kayo ng signal!
With regards sa shotclock at gameclock on the TV screen, sa host niyo na sisihin. Come on, P150 sa Gallery tix sa Arena last Saturday? That is usurious. NCAA eh P50 lang ata.

bg_eagle
08-25-2009, 04:22 PM
I would still choose Studio 23 over C/S 9. Me parts ng Philippines na di masagap C/S 9. Studio 23 I think nationwide. I know UAAP because of UAAP because of Studio 23. And to C/S 9? You made me forget PBA. Magpalakas naman kayo ng signal!
With regards sa shotclock at gameclock on the TV screen, sa host niyo na sisihin. Come on, P150 sa Gallery tix sa Arena last Saturday? That is usurious. NCAA eh P50 lang ata.

We may blame FEU for so many things this year but why do we blame them for not having the clock on the TV screen? Doesn't make sense.

maroonmartian
09-01-2009, 09:12 PM
If nagawa ng NCAA na lagyan ng shotclock sa screen, why not the UAAP? So the UAAP please resolve this.
Regarding sa coverage, medyo nainis na rin ako sa Studio 23. Mukha na silang pera sa dami ng ads.

BigBlue
09-01-2009, 10:34 PM
^milking cow

bg_eagle
09-01-2009, 10:53 PM
If nagawa ng NCAA na lagyan ng shotclock sa screen, why not the UAAP? So the UAAP please resolve this.
Regarding sa coverage, medyo nainis na rin ako sa Studio 23. Mukha na silang pera sa dami ng ads.

Exactly. Parang yung game na yung commercial break in between ads and whatever gimickry they have. And there have been countless times wherein we miss game action because of these ads, may it be actual commercial breaks or shots of players/fans doing useless things that are forced by sponsors.

What's weird about the NCAA coverage is that they also have the same smart logo as sponsor for the scoreboard but they happen to have both clocks on at the same time... all the time. Di ko lang sure if there's a separate sponsor for the clock for the UAAP. In any case, they shouldn't sacrifice the quality of the coverage just to be able to fit whatever ads. Dapat ginagawan ng paraan.

arjay_g
09-05-2009, 05:56 PM
Eric Tipan during the UST-DLSU game:

Mirza was posting up against an archer and made a move towards the basket via a spin, fake then step and shot.

Eric Tipan: "Great footwork by Mirza!"

then Mirza gets whistled for a travel... :D :D :D

haaaay studio 23 the quality of your commentators... ::)

elvis
09-05-2009, 06:12 PM
Sometime in the 4th qtr of the feu-lasal game, TJ comments on the press of lasal:

"lasal is showing another version of their press; all the teams are having nightmares about this."

I guess that is why lasal is in ... 5th place.

sanlo
09-05-2009, 06:44 PM
Sometime in the 4th qtr of the feu-lasal game, TJ comments on the press of lasal:

"lasal is showing another version of their press; all the teams are having nightmares about this."

I guess that is why lasal is in ... 5th place.

Of course all the teams are having nightmares when they play la salle. Wouldnt you if you were playing against Yutien! ;D Did you notice that he has a white tuldok at the very top of his head. Parang siopao...I wonder if he is asado or bolabola. hehe

RockLobster
09-05-2009, 06:52 PM
It's actually ironic how ABS-CBN can make lots of money from sponsors and yet can't pay for quality commentators. Then again, the other side of the coin is that Solar Sports, with all its reliable basketball analysts, isn't as technically capable as ABS-CBN when it comes to live coverages, or at least that's my take. Can't have the best of both worlds I guess.

pio_valenz
09-06-2009, 12:09 PM
^That's not a fair comparison. The UAAP and the PBA have very different TV audiences. The PBA's viewers are older and more sophisticated, hence analysis tends to be more technical.

The UAAP's audience is consisted mostly of the younger set, majority of whom do not have a very firm grasp yet of basketball. I know, some of you are no doubt thinking, "Hey, a lot of us here in gameface are knowledgable in basketball. Don't we represent the majority of UAAP viewers?" To be blunt, no you don't. Not even 10%, actually.

And it has nothing to do with commentators' "quality" or the number of sopnsors being raked in. If you're serious about making a career out of psortscasting, then the PBA is the better option simply because it has a much longer season, nine months compared to the UAAP's three. That means more games to cover, and more talent fee to collect.

ponce
09-06-2009, 04:14 PM
During the UST-AdU game coverage, Eric Tipan kept on saying that Adamson hasn't reached the Final 4 since the UAAP first used this format. CMIIW but Adamson was in the F4 in '06 when Ken Bono was named season MVP. Tama ba ako mga sir?

RockLobster
09-06-2009, 08:23 PM
^pio_valenz, sorry, I didn't mean "technical" in terms of game analysis, but logistics, equipment, etc. No complaints about how the UAAP games are analyzed, really. And the new analysts are definitely a welcome change.

agdlc
09-06-2009, 10:00 PM
rocklobster has a good point. i was actually thinking about this, and the the ateneo-up game a while ago,i think, is a good example of what he's trying to say.

caught the 2nd quarter of the game only, but during that time i noticed that luigi trillo kept on mentioning la salle during his statements. 1) martin reyes, former lasalle zobel standout, 2) golla was highly being recruited by franz pumaren to play for lasalle, 3) golla is the first cousin of a lasalle player 4) salva played for lsgh before san beda, 4) he mentioned bringas when he started talking about braganza's san sebastian roots. if these statements are said individually, they'd be alright. but taken as a whole, and in the span of a few minutes only, they kinda divulge a more biased commentary- one with a very limited perspective that is in the context of lasalle. my friend also mentioned that trillo mistakenly said "lasalle" vs. up or something like that at the start of the game. i stopped counting after the 2nd quarter. i find that luigi trillo, however, gives great insight when he analyzes the game.

hmmm.... maybe the uaap needs new commentators, or the commentators they have to be more "professional" (for lack of a better term) and do their research before they handle a game. i enjoy the technical stuff. not so much the "this player went here for hs!" or "this player is the relative of this player!". that's just me. but i think a mix of both would be a good thing...

boom was the other panelist. although a lot of ateneans don't like the way boom comes off as "anti-atenean", i think he's the best play-by-play commentator in the uaap. very fluid.

atenean_blooded
09-07-2009, 12:35 AM
rocklobster has a good point. i was actually thinking about this, and the the ateneo-up game a while ago,i think, is a good example of what he's trying to say.

caught the 2nd quarter of the game only, but during that time i noticed that luigi trillo kept on mentioning la salle during his statements. 1) martin reyes, former lasalle zobel standout, 2) golla was highly being recruited by franz pumaren to play for lasalle, 3) golla is the first cousin of a lasalle player 4) salva played for lsgh before san beda, 4) he mentioned bringas when he started talking about braganza's san sebastian roots. if these statements are said individually, they'd be alright. but taken as a whole, and in the span of a few minutes only, they kinda divulge a more biased commentary- one with a very limited perspective that is in the context of lasalle. my friend also mentioned that trillo mistakenly said "lasalle" vs. up or something like that at the start of the game. i stopped counting after the 2nd quarter. i find that luigi trillo, however, gives great insight when he analyzes the game.

hmmm.... maybe the uaap needs new commentators, or the commentators they have to be more "professional" (for lack of a better term) and do their research before they handle a game. i enjoy the technical stuff. not so much the "this player went here for hs!" or "this player is the relative of this player!". that's just me. but i think a mix of both would be a good thing...

boom was the other panelist. although a lot of ateneans don't like the way boom comes off as "anti-atenean", i think he's the best play-by-play commentator in the uaap. very fluid.

Luigi Trillo, being a former basketball player and coach (albeit a rather unsuccessful one), SHOULD know how to articulate an analysis of the game. And I recognize that insofar as basketball analysis is concerned, he's fine. But I was laughing out loud, at first, with all the mentions of La Salle. The comments got old pretty quickly.

Come to think of it, Boom Gonzales sometimes has a decent commentary in terms of analysis. But that's usually overshadowed by the stupid terms like "spin cycle move," "repossession," "15th parallel," etc. ad nauseam... Sure, there's some argument about individual style to be had there, but it's sort of like this:

http://demotivationalblog.com/demotivational/2008/09/coolness-you-may-be-cool-but-youll-never-be-4-popped-collars-cool-copy.jpg

Boom comes off as "anti-Ateneo" in the sense that he keeps bringing up lots of silly things, like how Ateneo lost to UST in 2006 when he was doing the commentary for Game 2 of last season's finals, that silly "pretenders to the throne" line, and his whining every time we've beaten La Salle (or any other team that he seems like he likes more than ours). I agree that Boom is articulate and fluid in his reporting, though.

TJ Manotoc also sometimes has a decent commentary. But sometimes, he seems like he's there to balance Boom Gonzales, and not much else.

Eric Tipan, aside from having the uncanny ability to state the obvious, needs to brush up on his knowledge of individual teams. Heck, I think even Andrei Felix might do a better job than him. Aaron Atayde certainly can.

I liked the commentaries by Sev Sarmenta (the best, I think), and Jude Turcuato (did I get the spelling right?). I also liked the ones by Alex Compton and Ronnie Magsanoc (even if Magsanoc wasn't as articulate as Compton).

If Studio 23 can keep getting courtside reporters, maybe they can increase the number of commentators. Maybe guest a wider variety of people.

Also, what's up with the practice of assigning courtside reporters to schools when the said reporters aren't even students of the said schools?

Posterized
09-07-2009, 01:14 PM
A Jude and Alex combo would be awesome for the replays of our games. ;D

pio_valenz
09-07-2009, 01:48 PM
Luigi Trillo, being a former basketball player and coach (albeit a rather unsuccessful one), SHOULD know how to articulate an analysis of the game. And I recognize that insofar as basketball analysis is concerned, he's fine. But I was laughing out loud, at first, with all the mentions of La Salle. The comments got old pretty quickly.

Not to apologize for Luigi, but when the game is a blowout (like yesterday's game), you sometimes have no choice but to talk about other things.

Come to think of it, Boom Gonzales sometimes has a decent commentary in terms of analysis. But that's usually overshadowed by the stupid terms like "spin cycle move," "repossession," "15th parallel," etc. ad nauseam...

Boom comes off as "anti-Ateneo" in the sense that he keeps bringing up lots of silly things, like how Ateneo lost to UST in 2006 when he was doing the commentary for Game 2 of last season's finals, that silly "pretenders to the throne" line, and his whining every time we've beaten La Salle (or any other team that he seems like he likes more than ours). I agree that Boom is articulate and fluid in his reporting, though.

Two things: 1) Pretenders to the throne is a metaphor, and one not meant to be insulting. 2) Boom was just reading the script prepared, so it wasn't really his line to begin with (I already explained this in the BEN last year when everyone there overreacted to it).

TJ Manotoc also sometimes has a decent commentary. But sometimes, he seems like he's there to balance Boom Gonzales, and not much else.

This may surprise a lot of people (especially those who mistakenly think he is anti-La Salle), but right now TJ is considered the best analyst. And I have to agree.

I liked the commentaries by Sev Sarmenta (the best, I think), and Jude Turcuato (did I get the spelling right?). I also liked the ones by Alex Compton and Ronnie Magsanoc (even if Magsanoc wasn't as articulate as Compton).

Agree on this part.

If Studio 23 can keep getting courtside reporters, maybe they can increase the number of commentators. Maybe guest a wider variety of people.

Not as easy as it sounds. ABS-CBN Sports announced open auditions early this year, and a lot of people showed up. But only a handful made the cut.

Also, what's up with the practice of assigning courtside reporters to schools when the said reporters aren't even students of the said schools?

Again, not as simple as it sounds. Every year all schools are pretty evenly represented in the auditions for courtside reporters, but as you can imagine, sometimes no one from a particular school is good enough to make the cut. When that happens the producers have no choice but to pick someone from another school. That's why you have Maan Panganiban (UP) doing courtside for NU and Tiff Atendido (DLSU) doing courtside for UE.

See my reply to blooded above about doing commentary during blowout games.

Again, see my reply above.

Agree. And he's very professional to work with, plus he goes out of his way to get his partner anaylyst more involved. And no, despite what the BENistas think, Boom is NOT anti-Ateneo.

Another thing the audience needs to know: sometimes even when you want to say something you think is substantive and interesting, there simply isn't enough time to get all the words out. There are a thousand and one things going on all at the same time at the panelists' table. Aside from keeping tabs on what's happening on the court, you have to keep an eye out for a signal from the statisticians and from the floor director. Mahirap talaga. Of course, I know viewers have to be treated to quality commentary, but there are times you just cannot say everything you want to say. The trick is to either talk very fast or learn how to paraphrase, all the while maintaining the correct voice modulation. :)

atenean_blooded
09-07-2009, 02:31 PM
Not to apologize for Luigi, but when the game is a blowout (like yesterday's game), you sometimes have no choice but to talk about other things.

Other things like La Salle?

I have no problem with talking about other things. But Luigi Trillo could have gone into a more technical analysis of what the Blue Eagles were doing right, for example. Or had he really just wanted to talk about other things, he could have been more discriminate as to what he was going to talk about. Even Boom Gonzales noticed.

Two things: 1) Pretenders to the throne is a metaphor, and one not meant to be insulting. 2) Boom was just reading the script prepared, so it wasn't really his line to begin with (I already explained this in the BEN last year when everyone there overreacted to it).

1. I know what it means (and I also know it's not a metaphor, strictly speaking). And while I understand that it might not be meant to be insulting, I know that not everyone knows what that phrase means. Hence, the idea of Boom coming off as anti-Ateneo.

2. Of course Boom was reading the script. It's not unusual for broadcasters to deviate from a script, or to ask that they be changed, especially since the line was pre-recorded.

That's just me, of course.

This may surprise a lot of people (especially those who mistakenly think he is anti-La Salle), but right now TJ is considered the best analyst. And I have to agree.

He's certainly better than guys like Eric Tipan.

Not as easy as it sounds. ABS-CBN Sports announced open auditions early this year, and a lot of people showed up. But only a handful made the cut.

Hmm, maybe they shouldn't necessarily go for a larger set of permanent commentators, but seek out lots of guest commentators?

Of course, I understand that isn't as simple as it sounds too.

fujitsu
09-07-2009, 04:57 PM
parang pro-lasal ang mga commentators ng abs ha. ;D

A-boy97
09-07-2009, 07:37 PM
^Para hindi raw mahalata ang pagiging die-hard Ateneo fans ng mga Lopez! ;D

BigBlue
09-07-2009, 07:54 PM
^not all the Lopezes are die-hard ateneo fans. There's one sitting on La Salle's bench as Team Manager.

batangueño
10-04-2009, 10:32 PM
UAAP extends partnership with ABS-CBN
abs-cbnNEWS.com (http://abs-cbnnews.com/sports/10/04/09/uaap-extends-partnership-abs-cbn)
10/04/2009, 5:36 PM

MANILA - The University Athletic Association of the Philippines (UAAP) has awarded the broadcast rights of the league for the next five years to long-time partner ABS-CBN.

Both parties have agreed in principle and signed the Memorandum of Agreement right before the tip-off of the Game Two of the men's basketball Finals between Ateneo de Manila University (ADMU) and University of the East (UE) on Sunday.

UAAP President Anton Montinola and ABS-CBN Chairman Gabby Lopez led the signing in the presence of the league board members and other network officials.

"They have been an excellent partner and we hope to take this partnership to the next level," Montinola said.

ABS-CBN has vowed "to continue to be at the forefront of technology improvement."

"We believe in the UAAP product and we'll do everything to make it better," Lopez said.

The giant television network has gradually improved the marketability of the league since their partnership started in 2000.

This season, Lopez-owned network made history by broadcasting the league's basketball games in high-definition through its SkyCable channel.

Starting next season, ABS-CBN announced that the men's basketball Finals will be broadcasted live on Channel 2, the network's main channel.

The elimination games and the Final Four will still be carried by its youth-oriented channel Studio 23.

Women's volleyball, which was moved from the first semester to the second semester in the UAAP calendar this season, will also enjoy the same coverage with that of men's basketball.

Selected highlights of the non-basketball events will also be shown by the network.

The new contract, which is to be worked out by both parties' legal counsels in the next coming days, will last until 2015.

"We didn't see any reason why we have to break our partnership. Upon long deliberation, the board has unanimously decided to award the rights again to ABS-CBN. We have looked at the plusses and minuses and at the end of the day, they (ABS-CBN) were clearly the winner," Montinola said.

The other networks which bid for the UAAP broadcast rights are GMA Network and Solar Sports.

bg_eagle
10-23-2009, 11:03 PM
Hopefully the integration of sponsors would be done better in the future. All the sponsor plugs... champ of the game candidate, doubles duo candidate, silverworks, appeton, all shameful and disrupted the enjoyment of the viewers because a lot of action was not shown due to these segments and commercials.

Also, hopefully, they could give us a better graphic showing the score and timing information for the whole game similar to what C/S 9 is able to do during the PBA telecast.

pepman
11-01-2009, 10:29 AM
May correction lang ako for Boom Gonzales:

Noong Games 2-3 ng UAAP finals, I heard him saying that there just 4 rookie coaches who won a UAAP title in his maiden campaign, and those are:
1. Franz Pumaren (1998)
2. Joel Banal (2002)
3. Pido Jarencio (2006)
4. Bert Flores (2005)

Actually, Boom (if you are reading), there a few more before Bigote, and from my sources, they are:
1. Danny Gavieres (1997)
2. Cris Calilan (1987)
3. Fritz Gaston (1988)
4. Jimmy Mariano (1984)

I'm not sure if Pong Amador was FEU's coach in 1991, and I admit mas marami pa sa na-research ko ang nariyan. Any other contributions on this?

sanlo
11-01-2009, 11:22 AM
May correction lang ako for Boom Gonzales:

Noong Games 2-3 ng UAAP finals, I heard him saying that there just 4 rookie coaches who won a UAAP title in his maiden campaign, and those are:
1. Franz Pumaren (1998)
2. Joel Banal (2002)
3. Pido Jarencio (2006)
4. Bert Flores (2005)

Actually, Boom (if you are reading), there a few more before Bigote, and from my sources, they are:
1. Danny Gavieres (1997)
2. Cris Calilan (1987)
3. Fritz Gaston (1988)
4. Jimmy Mariano (1984)

I'm not sure if Pong Amador was FEU's coach in 1991, and I admit mas marami pa sa na-research ko ang nariyan. Any other contributions on this?

I think Boom qualified his by saying rookie coaches who won since the Final 4 was instituted.

nastrans
11-01-2009, 04:36 PM
^Or during the last 11 years.

bg_eagle
06-18-2010, 12:15 PM
After watching Solar/BTV's coverage on the NBA Finals, I will no longger complain about ABS-CBN's coverage (ata). Nilampasan pa ang garapal sa commercial.

atenean_blooded
06-18-2010, 12:57 PM
After watching Solar/BTV's coverage on the NBA Finals, I will no longger complain about ABS-CBN's coverage (ata). Nilampasan pa ang garapal sa commercial.

At least wala na akong naririnig na Quinito Henson na commentator sa BTV coverage. But yes, the BTV coverage was awful. It was the worst thing about having to watch the Finals.

oca
09-17-2010, 05:59 AM
Ewan ko anong pagpapahalaga meron itong UAAP for the Junior players.

They scheduled the F4 games of DLSU-FEU and ADMU-AdU games on separates dates. Therefore, there will only be 1 game fo each day, yet they still have the usual TV timeslot of 2 to 6 pm.

Bakit hindi i-televised ang ADMU-UST Jrs championship gayong isang Seniors game lang naman ang lalaruin?

Mas ginusto pang mag-replay ng ibang Srs game.

Ang sarap nyo murahin... PWE!

yungha
09-17-2010, 02:05 PM
^ previously, we also conceded that we're going to miss the first play of every quarter due to the heavy commercials. ngayon grabe na, we miss the first 1 or 2 plays after every timeout. in yesterday's feu-dlsu game, the first timeout was called with feu ahead 5-2 or something like that. when the telecast resumed, it was already something like 8-5. dalawang basket ang hindi naipakita. and during the course of the game, kahit walang timeout, they show this axe man of the game or the close-up couple kahit walang deadball. more plays missed. garapal na masyado.

paulit-ulit lang naman. hindi na nakakaaliw yung tugs-tugs-tugs at yung kelot na ginulpi nung gagamba.

Joescoundrel
09-20-2010, 08:15 AM
Why is it only NU games were being replayed? MAGKANO ba ang binayad ng SM Group sa ABS CBN Sports?

oca
09-20-2010, 09:58 AM
Why is it only NU games were being replayed? MAGKANO ba ang binayad ng SM Group sa ABS CBN Sports?

Bago natin pag-aksayahan ng pansin kung bakit laro ng NU ang laging nire-replay --- marapat na gawing isyu kung bakit hindi televised ang Juniors championship!

The 3rd game was held at the Big Dome. Naroon na at nakaset-up na ang gamit ng ABS-CBN, ano ba naman i-tape nila ang laro ng Jrs na ginanap ng 11am at ipalabas ng delayed ng 2pm.

But still, I cannot understand why the UAAP cannot make that stipulation in their contract with ABS-CBN--- that Jrs championship games be televised.

Last year, ADMU- DLSZ ang nagtagpo championship at ito ay napanood sa tv at live pa kung di ako nagkakamali. Dahil ba ang magkatunggali ay ADMU at DLSZ kaya may coverage?

Putcha, hamon ito sa mga Atenista, kailangan ba nakakabit ang laro ng Eaglets sa mga taga-Zobel para ma-televise ang championship? Nasan yung binibidang brand na Ateneo? ::)

Mas sikat ang UAAP di ba? Mas malakas ang harak ng Ateneo di ba?

Eh, lintek pala itong 2nd rate league na NCAA, kahit sinong magtapat sa Jrs--- tiyak may LIVE coverage!

elvis
09-20-2010, 10:58 AM
^^Siguro mga ser, iniisip pa ng abs kung magkano ang i-ch-charge nila sa mga advertiser. Napansin ko lang kasi na sa 2nd half, hindi tumawag ng time out si coach Jamike. That means mas konti and pagkakataon na magpalabas ng commercial ang abs.

oca
09-20-2010, 08:55 PM
^^Siguro mga ser, iniisip pa ng abs kung magkano ang i-ch-charge nila sa mga advertiser. Napansin ko lang kasi na sa 2nd half, hindi tumawag ng time out si coach Jamike. That means mas konti and pagkakataon na magpalabas ng commercial ang abs.

Mas malaki ba pag delayed ng ilang araw?

pepman
09-26-2010, 02:10 AM
I find Eric Tipan awkward speaking Tagalog.

bg_eagle
10-04-2010, 02:11 PM
While watching the replay of both finals games yesterday, they kept on showing the best fastbreak plays of the season (although they just kept on showing 1 play) which was sponsored by some company I can't remember. They chose a play in the 1st round game between Adamson and Ateneo wherein Lester Alvarez grabbed the rebound from Jumbo Escueta and went coast to coast and got fouled by Nico Salva.

The weird thing was, it didn't seem like a fast break. After grabbing the rebound, he slowed down while bring the ball to his front court. When he got there, the defense was set and he decided to drive to the basket. Yes, nice play for Alvarez but how was it a "fast" break when you do not push the ball up to the front court and let the defense set-up?

elvis
10-04-2010, 03:08 PM
Watching the replay of game 1 of the finals, it seems like tj still couldn't get over the round 1 W by the Blue Eagles over the Falcons. In his pre-game analysis, he said that Ateneo was only 3 & 4 (W-L) in games decided by 4 pts. or less, suggesting that the Blue Eagles has trouble closing out tight contests. While the conclusion is debatable, what's annoying is that tj said the record could even be 2 & 5 if one considers that the round 1 game against Adamson was won only because of the free throws resulting from fouls called in the dying seconds of the game.

oca
10-07-2010, 05:20 PM
If a so called 2nd class league can put on live TV a Jrs F4 game, why can't the UAAP do the same?