PDA

View Full Version : the question of being a champ..

ewe_rach
06-14-2007, 07:27 PM
i always believe that the ue red warriors are a force to reckon with. heck with all the undaunting wares and skills they have! for while they do possess the necesarry skills, one question that haunts me most is that... DO THEY REALLY HAVE THAT DESIRE? i mean, many men in the past succeeded coz they have that unceasing and steadfast passion. im not saying that the warriors dont have this, they do actually but is that enough?
well, i dont mean to open this one up coz its bygone, but the last two "almost-a-finals-appearance" wherein they lost even with a twice to beat advantage and the recent fil-oil where they were leading for as much as 13 pts vs sbc. i really dont have anything againsts these guys, in fact they are ONE OF MY FAVE TEAMS but i really feel like they dont have that fire, not enough so to speak.
anyway, i just hope they would ponder on this as it is really vital in every game.

++ this is just an opinion, a level-headed discussion is what i also intend ++

Howard the Duck
06-14-2007, 08:48 PM
malas lang talaga ang UE. Parang may curse pa nga eh...

una si jec chia, tapos UST last year, twice pa... dunno about previous seasons though.

Dark Knight
06-14-2007, 09:47 PM
UE is twice to beat in 2003 but lost to FEU in the Final 4.

They are always "the team to beat" but became "the fianal 4 team" not advancing in the championship.

Sam Miguel
06-18-2007, 12:58 PM
UE has always fielded competitive teams, especially in the past two decades or so. I think the only time they ever had a "weak" team was sometime in 1993 when their best players were Ernie Quidilla and Mar Morelos, and then just a bunch of not-so-tall not-so-talented 6-footers playing wherever needed. I've always believed that the success of a varsity program depends on two very vital things: support from the school and support from alumni. Everything else will follow if these two conditions are present.

Look at Lasalle: championships in 1989, 1990, 1998-2001, missing maybe only one Final 4 appearance and figuring in majority of the UAAP Finals throughout an 18-year stretch. That's because the school itself and all of its alumni pitched in to make their varsity program arguably the best in the country. Ateneo followed suit and so have FEU and lately UST. UE once had a program that was the best in the UAAP but has since simply not kept up with the times. UE in that sense has a lot of catching up to do.

Wang-Bu
06-18-2007, 08:03 PM
Banderang Kapos. 'Yan ang madalas na pintas sa amin nung panahon ng Lim Brothers, Arnie Gamboa, Mar Morelos, Bobby Diloy, Gerald Ortega, Wowie Ibanez at Jun Catalan. Anlakas ng team ngunit tila rinaracha ng malas kapag malalaking laro. Nung nawala na kaming lahat ang humalili naman sa amin ay sina Ruel Buenaventura, Aldwin Manubag, Ronald Tubid, Leo Vilar at Julius Sotto, hitik na naman sa angking galing ang koponan ngunit inalat na naman pagdating sa laro.

brian
06-18-2007, 11:25 PM
pareng wang bu,
nakalimutan mo pa banggitin si james yap, pba mvp and rookie of the year...ue has always been in contention year in year out, the team to beat at least the past several years. they always showed up pretty well in the regular season games but have faltered always when it counted most..ayun ang misteryo. parang laging inaalat pagdating sa pinaka importanteng laro. palagay ko minamalas lang talaga..think perhaps the pheonix suns :)

gfy
06-19-2007, 01:50 PM
The departing Borboran, Gregorio, Canizares, Fampulme and one or two others might be motivated enough to win it this time. This is their last chance. Next year or two they might not even be in the final four.

Scout
06-19-2007, 04:19 PM
I've always asked "what's with UE????" One year had names like James Yap, Paul Artadi, Tubid, Masbang, Hubalde, Booker, Omiping, Estrada, Canaleta in the lineup -- it's like... how can you still lose? Coaching?

Fast forward to Dindo's teams. Custodio. Arellano. Martinez. Labagala. Saguindel. Espiritu. Borboran. Canizares. Thiele. Gregorio. Heck all these guys could flat out play, albeit Marcy hasn't been the same since dengue.

But, UE has even lost its stature as kings of the offseason as the Homegrown, NSL and Filoil crowns went to DLSU.

IMHO UE has to take a different mental approach to the game. Play smarter basketball. If they decide to do that, they'll be unstoppable.

Wang-Bu
06-20-2007, 09:19 AM
Minsan talaga may mga ganyang panahon. 'Ika nga ng isa ko pang idol "weather-weather" lang 'yan.

Tignan na lang natin nung 2002. Panalo na sana pero isang last second shot lang ang tumalo sa Warriors mula sa isa pang 'di naman gaano star na si Gec Chia. Tapos ngayon magkakampi pa sila ni Ronald Tubid sa Barangay namin, akalain mo.

Hindi ako naniniwalang kulang sa pagnanais na maka-kampeon muli ang Warriors. Tancha ko lang talaga rinaracha lang kami ng malas. Parang ang USTe nitong huli lang. Nag-champion sa UAAP tapos inalat ng todo sa lahat ng mga offseason lalo sa PBL kung saan wala yata silang pinanalo bilang Kettle Korn. Talagang may mga magkakataon na mamalasin at mamalasin ka. Ang Ateneo nga akala dere-derecho ng magcha-champion nung huling UAAP ganun din, sinibak din ng malas mula sa USTe.

Scout
06-20-2007, 11:05 AM
^^^

I agree. Minamalas nga talaga. Yung kay Chia matindi talaga yun.

Joescoundrel
06-21-2007, 06:33 PM
UE has never been short of talent save the Quidilla-Morelos era Wang-bu mentioned. Coaching and team management however have always been inseparable and sticky issues when it came to the UE varsity. Enter Bong Tan bringing with him the Fortune Tobacco coffers in the middle to late-1990's and all of a sudden UE was getting a lot of top recruits with part of the Tan billions going to offering generous scholarships and allowances. Still the Warriors just couldn't seem to win. Grabbing the Fr Martin Cup for consecutive summers back in the late-1990's to the early 2000's was nice but nice in the way you'd pat your dog for fetching your slippers: it wasn't the crown that mattered.

Comes now Dindo Pumaren and all of a sudden it looks like the Warriors are looking pretty good, with some real direction in terms of preparation, conditioning and running some systems. But they still seem to be just on the verge.

UE needs, to quote the needs-to-retire Pat Riley, to summon the winner within to finally win a UAAP championship.

ewe_rach
06-25-2007, 04:40 PM
geez! how my heart ached just seeing the warriors cry the last season! i never felt that sympathy over a losing team than that of the warriors! i just hope that they'll make it this time! i hope they do their best and never rest on their laurels. see you all this uaap season!* ;)

Joescoundrel
08-01-2007, 10:41 AM
UE looks poised to sweep the first round of Season 70.

Hopefully they can put on an equally strong or even stronger showing in the sesond round, when things really get taken up several notches. This is when the likes of NU can put a run together and fulfill the preseason Final 4 predictions for them. This is when UST would most like to show that they are hellbent on defending their crown in the Finals. This is when even the likes of UP and Adamson are looking to be spoilers if only to put any kind of positive spin on their shitty seasons.

This is also when preseason contenders like Lasalle, FEU and Ateneo will play smarter, tighter, better controlled ball.

Overall UE must summon the winner within to get through the homestretch when their own history of playoff collapses looms heavily over them.

oca
08-01-2007, 12:58 PM
In any competition, as it moves to the next level, the pressure also rises. How UE rises to that same level has always been suspect. The dominant form in the elimination round practically has no bearing in the F4.

In the play-off stage, you must play at the play-off level. For UE, that remains to be seen.

We can conceed one of the 2 twice-to-beat-advantage to them, but if they should lose the first game, mas lalong tataas ang pressure.

Kakayanin ba nila?

Hindi sa minamaliit ko ang UE, pero teams with history of folding in the games that matters most must first prove they now know how to "carry that baggage" before anyone gives them that ticket to the Finals.

Surveying how the teams have fared so far in the 1st round, imo, if UE makes the Finals, sa kanila na ako pupusta. But then, make second pa rin.... ;)

Joescoundrel
08-01-2007, 01:35 PM
Ateneo's unexpected collapse in the Finals last season just served as the latest proff of what happens when supposedly favored teams fail to step up and claim the victory they mistakenly take for granted to be theirs already. UE has had several seasons in this situation already. Hopefully this will be the year they prove the critics wrong.

cub
08-01-2007, 01:37 PM
UE is twice to beat in 2003 but lost to FEU in the Final 4.

They are always "the team to beat" but became "the fianal 4 team" not advancing in the championship.

sa pagkakaalala ko, hindi twice to beat ang UE nung 2003. number 2 ang FEU nun, number 3 ang UE.

pokpok
08-01-2007, 02:43 PM
BASTA ang mapapayo ko lang sa mga mahal kong warriors!!!
FORGET the PAST!!! JUST FIGHT and WIN!!!
maraming mga nagdaan na kesyo binenta ni custodio ang laban... o kung ano ano pa...
PERO SANA NGAYON... have the HEART!!!!
YAN LANG ANG MAGPAPANALO SATIN!!!
GO UE!!!

bchoter
08-01-2007, 06:06 PM
I've mentioned in the other thread how Martinez 'angas' could spell a big difference to the Warriors' season because in the past, as talanted as the players were, nobody really had this supreme belief in himself among the Warriors of late. Martinez? If you were on the opposite side lakad palang 'kupal' na.

bchoter
08-01-2007, 06:10 PM
BASTA ang mapapayo ko lang sa mga mahal kong warriors!!!
FORGET the PAST!!! JUST FIGHT and WIN!!!
maraming mga nagdaan na kesyo binenta ni custodio ang laban... o kung ano ano pa...
PERO SANA NGAYON... have the HEART!!!!
YAN LANG ANG MAGPAPANALO SATIN!!!
GO UE!!!
Si Jericho sadsad ang career pero may HEART. Panalo pa rin.

oca
08-02-2007, 10:07 AM
I've mentioned in the other thread how Martinez 'angas' could spell a big difference to the Warriors' season because in the past, as talanted as the players were, nobody really had this supreme belief in himself among the Warriors of late. Martinez? If you were on the opposite side lakad palang 'kupal' na.

Given Matinez' angas, one's angas does not make a team, or will carry a team come play-off. Maybe when you need just one play or one shot to win, Martinez will be enough. But when the intensity and pressure is a protracted one, 1 or 2 other guys must contribute.

Unlike UST w/c has proven it's "collective angas" last season, UE - the team - has yet to prove it posessess such qualities.

As many have pointed out, yun ang challenge sa Warriors* - magpakita ng pruweba.

I would like to see UE play game 2 of a F4 series where it has the twice-to-beat advantage. Yan ang magandang batayan.

Modified to add the letter "c" in carry.

Sam Miguel
08-02-2007, 12:30 PM
Oca, Bchoter, for my part I would like to see UE finish off its opponent quickly and decisively, like the Spurs did to the Cavs in the recent NBA Finals. A team as loaded as UE has no business getting extended in any series, especially with a twice-to-beat edge. If they cannot finish opponents off decisively given their depth and talent it sort of diminishes them. They've shown they can ball with the best and emerge winners like in the offseason tournaments. Now is the time for them to show that they can finally win it all on the biggest of basketball stages.

I am one of those diehard hardcore hoops junkies who cannot countenance highly touted teams simply collapse their way into ignominy. To me that was exactly what happened to my Blue Eagles last season. Taking nothing away from Bchoter's Tigers, last season was like a UE season for Ateneo, with every one expecting us to stroll away with the title. Bchoter's boys quickly showed us that a title is something earned on the court every game. Forget all of the speeches, predictions and power rankings: when the big games are on the truly great teams get it done.

Ateneo was not on anyone's Season 70 Finals scenarios including my own given the derth of experience and sheer talent on this year's team. Thank God we still have a Norman Black who is arguably among the Top 3 coaches in the country, period. UE is undoubtedly far more talented and deeper than any team in Season 70, and they've so far shown that in every game in this first round except against us. With Round 2 about to roll around now is the time to see if they will fulfill their red and white manifest destiny or if they will pull an Ateneo Season 69 job.

oca
08-02-2007, 01:56 PM
Pag naalala ko kung paano humagulgol si Labagala matapos tadyakan ng UST ang UE sa F4 last year, sa isang miron tulad ko, I would really want to see UE win the title this year.

Tanda ko pa iyong maikling usapan namin ng nasirang Gido ilang araw matapos matalo ng dalawang sunod sa UST. Sabi niya, naranasan na rin daw niya matalo, pero noong makita niyang umiyak yung mga bata, ibang emotion daw yung naramdaman niya.

Tama ka Sam, sa lalim ng bench ng UE at sa pinapakita nila, walang dahilan para di nila malagpasan ang F4.

From there, sana nga ay magtuloy-tuloy...

ewe_rach
08-02-2007, 05:04 PM
Pag naalala ko kung paano humagulgol si Labagala matapos tadyakan ng UST ang UE sa F4 last year, sa isang miron tulad ko, I would really want to see UE win the title this year.
Tanda ko pa iyong maikling usapan namin ng nasirang Gido ilang araw matapos matalo ng dalawang sunod sa UST. Sabi niya, naranasan na rin daw niya matalo, pero noong makita niyang umiyak yung mga bata, ibang emotion daw yung naramdaman niya.

Tama ka Sam, sa lalim ng bench ng UE at sa pinapakita nila, walang dahilan para di nila malagpasan ang F4.

From there, sana nga ay magtuloy-tuloy...

we share the same feeling sir oca. when i finally had the chance to see the replay of that game, my heart went out to them and had a tear swell on my right eye (hehe drama) but seriously though, i think they mean business now.

ewe_rach
08-02-2007, 05:08 PM
i wouldnt have the heart to refute you all. dapat lang talaga gawin ng warriors ang nararapat which is to win that championship or at least break the 20 year finals drought.
i hope to see them all happy after waiting so long for another championship.
ang tagal narin kasi...

bchoter
08-02-2007, 05:43 PM
pareng oca, sa ganang akin, it would hurt even more for Labagala if they win right after he left the squad. So as not to make himg hurt even more I thinke they should just reach the finals and then let UST win in a two-gamer. On the 'angas' thing, yes one player cannot make a team but it might be a start for the generally 'soft' Warriors. Maybe we can start with Espiritu, whose 'angas' seemed to have left him after getting stared down by Kramer last year.

oca
08-02-2007, 06:45 PM
pareng oca, sa ganang akin, it would hurt even more for Labagala if they win right after he leaves. So as not to make himg hurt even more I thinke they should reach the finals and let UST win in a two-gamer. On the 'angas' thing, yes one player cannot make a team but it might be a start for the generally 'soft' Warriors. Maybe we can start with Espiritu, whose 'angas' seemed to have left him after getting stared down by Kramer last year.

Pag yang gusto mo ang nangyari, yung mga graduating ngayon ang iiyak...then ipagpapaliban uli dahil mas masakit para sa kanila. Magpapaulit-ulit lang. Ang kalalabasan di makakatikim ng kampeonato ng UE.

Magsumikap na lang ang lahat na talunin ang Warriors. ;)

Wang-Bu
08-08-2007, 11:54 AM
Maganda ang article ni Sir Sam Miguel sa homepage ng gameface.ph tungkol sa Warriors natin, sana nga magtuloy-tuloy na ang mga Anak ni Lualhati.

ewe_rach
08-13-2007, 03:24 PM
i hope the warriors are not peaking too early. i hope they sustain the momentum up to the final dance.
no time for complacency!

Wang-Bu
08-20-2007, 10:49 AM
pareng oca, sa ganang akin, it would hurt even more for Labagala if they win right after he left the squad. So as not to make himg hurt even more I thinke they should just reach the finals and then let UST win in a two-gamer. On the 'angas' thing, yes one player cannot make a team but it might be a start for the generally 'soft' Warriors. Maybe we can start with Espiritu, whose 'angas' seemed to have left him after getting stared down by Kramer last year.

Sir Bchoter, nanumbalik ng angas ni Elmer! :D

Scout
08-20-2007, 12:23 PM
Llagas 21 points! Secret weapon!!!

ewe_rach
08-20-2007, 08:07 PM
if my memory serves me right, he was the offensive anchor of ue last year during the do-or die game (when bonbon got sacked) vs. ust before he got fouled out. he scored double digits then and was the best defender against cruz.

another carreer high for dindo's boys - Barry Llgas. Galing!

pokpok
08-21-2007, 03:40 AM
manpower and talent wise... WALANG DUDA na UE ang THE BEST THIS SEASON...
we just have to PRAY HARDER!!!! yun na lang at malapit na nating makamit ang ating ika 19 na titulo...
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO UE WARRIORS!!!

flsfnoeraekadad
08-21-2007, 10:31 AM
Marunong din palang mag-tres itong si Llagas.

Sam Miguel
08-21-2007, 01:27 PM

I think all of Dindo Pumaren's post guys did extra shooting drills to deliberately extend opposing defenses...

mighty_lion
08-21-2007, 02:04 PM
I'll try to hold on this question untill the season ends. Sa pinapakita ng Red Warriors ngayon, walang dudang aabot sila ng finals. I'll count out na ang makakalaban ng UE sa F4 matatanggal kaagad. Come Finals dyan tingin ko yan magiging sukatan. Walang twice to beat advantage.

Depende sa magiging pairing ng F4, tingin ko either:
UE vs UST or
UE vs DLSU ang laban.

ewe_rach
08-21-2007, 04:28 PM

sir fls, i was surprised to know this. now they have every means of scoring.

bchoter
08-21-2007, 05:33 PM

Wir parang kulang at pilit pa rin ang angas ni elmer. Wala sa kalahati ng angas ni Fampulme :D

ewe_rach
08-21-2007, 05:46 PM

Wir parang kulang at pilit pa rin ang angas ni elmer. Wala sa kalahati ng angas ni Fampulme :D

oo nga si fampulme iba ang angas nung mamang yun! aside from that, very PASSIONATE!

ewe_rach
10-07-2007, 10:45 PM
well, natapos na ang isang season. another heartbreak season for the red warriors.
anyway, stand tall! at least you guys made history.
next year na lang ulit...

bchoter
10-09-2007, 07:17 PM
The answer to the question is mental toughness. And they failed (again) miserably.

What happened to BAndaying? I seem to not have seen him in Finals. Or maybe it just didn't register. I feel that his being steady is what they need in the finals. He may not give you a lot of points but he won't give up a lot.

Dark Knight
10-09-2007, 11:23 PM
The answer to the question is mental toughness. And they failed (again) miserably.

What happened to BAndaying? I seem to not have seen him in Finals. Or maybe it just didn't register. I feel that his being steady is what they need in the finals. He may not give* you a lot of points but he won't give up a lot.

Thats what happen when you have a lot of superstars in your line up. Some good players will have less playing time. ;D

Joescoundrel
10-14-2007, 03:26 PM
To have come so close only to once again fall short...

To have what should have been a dream season end in a hellish nightmare...

To totally breakdown after being so seemingly invincible...

To come undone so publicly after many public proclamations and hail...

The funeral dirge of these so-called Warriors continues to toll, and shall toll louder still in what will surely be a long, hot, miserable offseason, accented with planty of second-guessing, hind-sighting and what-could've-beens.

In the main Recto campus there was an obvious resentment and a lot of bad feelings in the air, and it persists to this moment. If greatness means consistency, pride, strength inside and out, then these poor Warriors will have to deal with the fact that greatness will never attach to them. To have failed so spectacularly, after such a spectacular regular season showing, will forever haunt them as one of the all-time greatest choke acts in the UAAP.

pokpok
10-23-2007, 01:37 AM
hey guyssss being 2nd is not bad at all... DLSU is 5 yrs bridesmaid of UST during the 90s before became champions..
4th, 3rd, and now 2nd... so becoming number 1 is not impossible...

question.. surprise recruits???

jayverns
10-28-2007, 11:39 PM
tanong ko lang guys nagkaroon ba ng teambuilding ang Red Warriors bago ang championship? kasi ilang taon ng nangyayari sa kanila yan panahon pa nila James Yap, KG Canaleta, Artadi, etc. tingin ko kahit makapasok pa ang UE ng ilang beses sa finals kung ganun palagi ang mentality nila lalo na pag importante ang laro hinding-hindi sila magiging champion.

ralph9cooper
01-05-2011, 08:22 PM
I am also a huge fan of Red warriors.
I know that they are not doing their best right now, but believe that they will be back soon at the top level.
They just need some good efforts in practice.

red_engr1987
03-25-2011, 04:29 PM
I know that they are not doing their best right now, but believe that they will be back soon at the top level.

I can see a UE RED WARRIORS final appearance in Season 75, the time when Henri Betayane don the UE Red Warriors jersey together with Ken Acibar, Roi Sumang, Nike Montalvo, Sumido, Casajeros, Enguio, Villarias, Noble, Duran, Zamar & the recruits from RTU.

We will be back as UAAP MBT champion, we will get there soon

Just Keep the FAITH in our UE RED WARRIORS

ironcoach
07-04-2011, 09:56 AM

I can see a UE RED WARRIORS final appearance in Season 75, the time when Henri Betayane don the UE Red Warriors jersey together with Ken Acibar, Roi Sumang, Nike Montalvo, Sumido, Casajeros, Enguio, Villarias, Noble, Duran, Zamar & the recruits from RTU.

We will be back as UAAP MBT champion, we will get there soon

May ganitong post pala only 3 months ago.

Just Keep the FAITH in our UE RED WARRIORS