PDA

View Full Version : Ninoy Aquino Stadium: Season 70's alternate venue

casual_observer
06-04-2007, 11:47 PM
read in AP.com the official schedule of La Salle Green Archers' games, and, yes, you read it right... the official alternate venue to the Araneta Coliseum this year is the Ninoy Aquino Stadium. ::)

from AP.com:

here is the FINAL and OFFICIAL schedule of the DLSU Basketball teams:

MEN'S TEAM:

July 7, SATURDAY, 2:00 PM DLSU vs. UP - Araneta Coliseum
July 14, SATURDAY, 2:00 PM DLSU vs. ADAMSON - Ninoy Aquino Stadium
July 19, THURSDAY, 4:00 PM DLSU vs. FEU - Ninoy Aquino Stadium
July 22, SUNDAY, 4:00 PM DLSU vs. UE - Ninoy Aquino Stadium
July 26, THURSDAY, 4:00 PM DLSU vs. ADMU - Araneta Coliseum
July 29, SUNDAY, 2:00 PM DLSU vs. UST - Ninoy Aquino Stadium
Aug. 5, SUNDAY, 2:00 PM DLSU vs. NU - Ninoy Aquino Stadium

nakakabwisit! mas matino pa ang alternate venue ng NCAA (The Arena in San Juan) kumpara sa atin! >:(

Howard the Duck
06-05-2007, 01:07 AM
pero malamig daw dito :D

tigerman
06-05-2007, 01:18 AM
Tama ba yang schedule na yan? Kasi sa pagkakaalam ko eh thursday ang UST vs. DLSU game.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

atenean_blooded
06-05-2007, 01:37 AM
Yuck.

Bulok na naman.

flsfnoeraekadad
06-05-2007, 01:47 AM
Yuck.

Bulok na naman.
Nice one. Heeheeheehee. ;D

GreenArrows
06-05-2007, 05:27 AM
Tama ba yang schedule na yan? Kasi sa pagkakaalam ko eh thursday ang UST vs. DLSU game.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

Yes, this schedule was approved and released yesterday during the UAAP BOARD MEETING. I only posted the DLSU schedules in APcom (www.archerpride.com) since majority of our readers are from DLSU. Gameface should post ALL the schedules in this site.

I think the reason why NAS was chosen was for its accessibility to local transportation for the students of majority of the schools. I won't say anything about the stadium itself. As for The Arena, great place but it's relatively harder for the students to commute to. I believe this was the main consideration of host UST in finding a second venue. I expect students and alumni of other schools, specially in the Quezon City area, to raise a howl at this again just like last year where some games where held at NAS but were eventually moved to BEG.

casual_observer
06-05-2007, 08:35 AM
^ but many were expecting that UST would select the Cuneta Astrodome, which is, in my honest opinion, also a relatively accessible place given the fact that all forms of public transportation (jeepneys, buses and the LRT, although it is several blocks away) pass by the venue. anong nangyari? bakit nagkaganun? :o

GreenArrows
06-05-2007, 09:56 AM
^ but many were expecting that UST would select the Cuneta Astrodome, which is, in my honest opinion, also a relatively accessible place given the fact that all forms of public transportation (jeepneys, buses and the LRT, although it is several blocks away) pass by the venue. anong nangyari? bakit nagkaganun? :o

That is why when someone posted in PEX and in other fora the 'suppossed' schedule and venues of the season's first round, I advised everyone to WAIT until the official schedule is released. I know for a fact that though the scheduling has its own formula, the host school has the prerogative to make some changes depending on the avilability of the venues and upon the request of member schools.

Also, I knew from insiders that there was a strong resistance to the Cuneta Astrodome. For what reasons, I can only guess. But this resistance was so compelling to some, that the shortcomings of the NAS could be overlooked just to avoid the Astrodome. However, I anticipate that the loud rumblings and protests from a Quezon City school(s) may rise to a level that prods UST to move some games to anOTHER venue. Let's keep our ears on the ground on this matter and NOT listen to any 'rumor' or 'heresay'. For all developments, let's wait for the UAAP Board to decide. Don't speculate.

casual_observer
06-05-2007, 10:41 AM
^ hmmmm... seems like you are hinting about the Blue Eagle Gym as a possible alternate venue in the second round of eliminations. :D

hmmmm... kung sa bagay, di hamak na mas OK ang BEG kumpara sa Ninoy Aquino Stadium, although medyo hindi accessible sa mga Manila-based schools (except kung alam nila kung paano gumamit ng LRT 2) yung lugar. i do hope that the Philsports Arena can get considered too since it is a "more decent" venue as compared to the cramped and terrible Ninoy Aquino Stadium. ::)

teka... bakit nga kaya may resistance ang mga taga-UST sa Cuneta Astrodome? hmmmm... 1999, perhaps? ;D

gfy
06-05-2007, 11:00 AM
The San Juan Arena should have been an ideal venue at least for the weekday games. It is accessible via the G-Liner. The NCAA has chosen it for their M-W-F games. Studio 23 would have preferred it so they wouldn't have to move their equipment during the week. But Mr. Paguia of NU explained that the Arena might be small (cap 4000). I don't think so. The weekend games and the BIG games could be held at Ninoy or ULTRA and of course Araneta.

Eagle_Eyes
06-05-2007, 11:17 AM
The San Juan Arena should have been an ideal venue at least for the weekday games. It is accessible via the G-Liner. The NCAA has chosen it for their M-W-F games. Studio 23 would have preferred it so they wouldn't have to move their equipment during the week. But Mr. Paguia of NU explained that the Arena might be small (cap 4000). I don't think so. The weekend games and the BIG games could be held at Ninoy or ULTRA and of course Araneta.

At least if the venue is accessible, filling up a greater portion of the 4000 seats should not be that much of a problem - even during weekday games. However, If the venue is bigger but is not that accessible, and the place itself sucks, organizers would be lucky to get 3000 people to go there. Add to this the fact that the UAAP basketball tournament runs during the rainy season. Accessibility should always be the primary concern.

Suddenly, not getting season passes might not have been a bad idea after all ;D

casual_observer
06-05-2007, 01:24 PM
there is already a confusion in PEx as to the schedules and venues of this season's games. nakasama nga yung unang paglalabas ng schedule doon. ::)

perhaps our friends here who have copies of the official schedule that was released yesterday would like to post the entire schedule here in gameface for the benefit of everybody. :)

Wingman
06-05-2007, 03:39 PM
^ hmmmm... seems like you are hinting about the Blue Eagle Gym as a possible alternate venue in the second round of eliminations. :D

hmmmm... kung sa bagay, di hamak na mas OK ang BEG kumpara sa Ninoy Aquino Stadium, although medyo hindi accessible sa mga Manila-based schools (except kung alam nila kung paano gumamit ng LRT 2) yung lugar. i do hope that the Philsports Arena can get considered too since it is a "more decent" venue as compared to the cramped and terrible Ninoy Aquino Stadium. ::)

teka... bakit nga kaya may resistance ang mga taga-UST sa Cuneta Astrodome? hmmmm... 1999, perhaps? ;D

I don't think it's because of 1999. Remember 1993-1996? I think that is where they won most of their championships.

NAS compared to BEG? At least NAS is airconditioned. Sabagay there's no need to put airconditioners at BEG, IMHO.

peterstrauss
06-05-2007, 04:04 PM
while it is true that NAS is airconditioned, the glaring fact is that there is only one sure exit & entry for the audience. can you imagine the "danger" it would expose everyone inside NAS >:( ???

in addition, when it rains, there is leaking inside NAS even on court :(

Wingman
06-05-2007, 04:26 PM
Well it also leaks at BEG and it also gets flooded along Katipunan when it rains.

How many sure exit/entry are there at BEG?

IMHO, ULTRA is a better alternative. I can think of 3 exit/entrance gates.

Howard the Duck
06-05-2007, 07:14 PM
actually the best alternate venue away from araneta is cuneta. kaya lang malayo sa ateneo at up... hindi siguro sanay mag-commute :D

lyndon_24
06-05-2007, 08:01 PM
gadd.. araneta yata yung alternate venue ng NAS ;D

06-05-2007, 08:09 PM
ULTRA is way better that NAS which IMHO is a fire trap God forbid.... Cuneta is kinda unsafe too for people, kids, cars, etc. -- Tembong Melencio, a legendary toughie met his maker there, right? :-[

tigerman
06-05-2007, 08:24 PM
Although NAS is near to my residence and to the manila-based schools, I don't like it for the obvious reasons stated already by others.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

nuss
06-06-2007, 04:56 AM
What's wrong with Ninoy? Old school nga e.

GreenArrows
06-06-2007, 05:42 AM
Don't worry everyone. The supporters and alumni of some OTHER schools are increasing their noise to object to the use of NAS. Notice how in fora like gameface and PEX, majority of the recent posts regarding using NAS as a 2nd venue, there has been an increase in protests. Soon, their noise will rise to the level of a howl and maybe UST, as host school, may reconsider its plans. There is a UAAP Board meeting on June 28. Perhaps if the OTHERS continue to raise the level of protest, maybe UST may propose some changes.

Kirk Patrick
06-06-2007, 07:46 AM
UST lang ba ang nagdecide sa venue or kasama ang buong UAAP Board? ???

LION
06-06-2007, 08:06 AM

Agree with Kirk here. People might be barking up the wrong tree.

Is it UST or the UAAP Board which decides on the schedule and venue of the games?

oca
06-06-2007, 08:54 AM
All this talk about the NAS being a firetrap... I can just imagine kung ano ang* isasagot ng UST/ host.

"Eh, di buksan ang mas maraming pinto." ;D ;D ;D

Pero sang-ayon ako....The concern is valid. The criticisms are valid. Pero kung halos di sila natinag last season, what would make them scrap the NAS all together this time?

Though late last season, I do remember lumipat sa ULTRA ( sorry, di ko alam bagong pangalan nito), but this was just too remote for most schools. W/c made the change not much better.

bluewing
06-06-2007, 10:40 AM
ULTRA da best aleternative.

as to accessibility... bakit? di ba kayo marunong mag-commute?

oca
06-06-2007, 11:02 AM
Accessability allows for more students to watch the games. Their presence, their greater number, adds color to the games. Their "involvement" in the games, makes the oncourt action even better, as the players do get energized by the crowd.

I am sure 100pct of students from the University Belt area know how to commute. Pero pag talagang malayo ang venue, unless they are compelled by their PE teachers to attend, walang sisipot on their own.

The games are just a bit bland without these undergrads. ;)

bluewing
06-06-2007, 11:10 AM
I am sure 100pct of students from the University Belt area know how to commute. Pero pag talagang malayo ang venue, unless they are compelled by their PE teachers to attend, walang sisipot on their own.

which is unfortunate. when i was still in school back in the day, EVEN WHEN MY TEAM SUCKED, talagang sinisipot namin ng tropa yung games kahit sa cuneta pa yon. gumagawa kami ng paraan (makikisabay, komyut, etc.). cut pa kung kailangan. at maraming gumagawa nun. the same can be said about SOME of the other schools' supporters. it's all a matter of motivation and school pride.

oca
06-06-2007, 12:15 PM

which is unfortunate. when i was still in school back in the day, EVEN WHEN MY TEAM SUCKED, talagang sinisipot namin ng tropa yung games kahit sa cuneta pa yon. gumagawa kami ng paraan (makikisabay, komyut, etc.). cut pa kung kailangan. at maraming gumagawa nun. the same can be said about SOME of the other schools' supporters. it's all a matter of motivation and school pride.

If only the same can be said for all. Kaya lang...

I think there is no argument that there IS a better venue aside from the firetrap/NAS and the too remote/ULTRA.

Sa tulad kong miron, pag maganda ang pairings at may oras, tiyak manonood ako ng live. Kahit saan pa yan.

casual_observer
06-06-2007, 12:27 PM
^ is that an admission that no place can be a good alternative to the proximity and comfort of the Araneta Coliseum? ???

hmmmm... this is my list of all possible alternate venues to the Araneta Coliseum. i hope you guys, especially those who are very familiar with the said venues, can rate them from best to worst.

* Philsports Arena
* Cuneta Astrodome
* Blue Eagle Gym
* Ninoy Aquino Stadium
* Rizal Memorial Coliseum
* The Arena in San Juan

note: Makati Coliseum stricken from the list. thanks to JonarSabilano. :)

JonarSabilano
06-06-2007, 01:01 PM
^ is that an admission that no place can be a good alternative to the proximity and comfort of the Araneta Coliseum? ???

hmmmm... this is my list of all possible alternate venues to the Araneta Coliseum. i hope you guys, especially those who are very familiar with the said venues, can rate them from best to worst.

* Philsports Arena
* Cuneta Astrodome
* Blue Eagle Gym
* Ninoy Aquino Stadium
* Makati Coliseum
* The Arena in San Juan

You might want to consider scratching Makati Coliseum from your list, casual_observer. Last time I checked, it had been converted into a full-time cockfighting arena.

GreenArrows
06-06-2007, 01:42 PM

The host school is the one that arranges the venues and play dates for the UAAP. It is the only one that has the prerogative to find suitable venues and negotiate with their management/owners. As the host school has that prerogative and responsibility, the rest of the UAAP Board, as a matter of tradition, always approves the recommendations and arrangements of the host school. To oppose it openly on the first organizational meeting, could be considered not only a break in tradition, but as a sign of disrespect for the host school.

What usually takes place is, after a few play dates, the UAAP Board in cooperation with the host school, reviews how the tournament is coming along. Any changes in the venue(s) is usually set to take effect in the second round. At least by the time they make changes, every Board member, including the host school's own, would have assessed the progress of the whole tournament, including the effects of the venues specially with regards to crowd attendance, and have made a more proper decision. But for the first round, again, as a tradition, the UAAP Board respects the arrangements made by the host school.

5FootCarrot
06-06-2007, 02:06 PM
* Philsports Arena
* Cuneta Astrodome
* Blue Eagle Gym
* Ninoy Aquino Stadium
* Makati Coliseum
* The Arena in San Juan

Here is my ranking from best to worst:

1. Blue Eagle Gym - the most convenient to me ;D - also, fairly accessible by commute, has plenty of free parking nearby, eateries within hiking distance :P, not so congested outside
2. Ninoy Aquino Stadium - easily accessible by commute, near a mall/comfortable eating establishments (with CR!) and parking facilities
3. Rizal Memorial Coliseum - slightly more accessible by commute than NAS, but the proximity to HP and more parking options gives NAS the edge
4. Philsports Arena - not as accessible by public transport, rather cramped parking (and you have to walk uphill), some eateries nearby but choice is limited if you are the picky sort
5. Cuneta Astrodome - accessible by commute but reportedly dangerous to visit
6. The Arena in San Juan - accessible by commute, has parking, is new and nice, but there's nowhere to hang out nearby
7. Makati Coliseum - no longer a contender, according to JonarSabilano; but even if it is, it would still be the worst because, from what I remember, it's hard to get to, it's hard to park there, and it's cramped outside

Note, though, that I rated these venues mainly on their convenience. Safety would definitely be a concern, but I don't put much stock in amenities like nice chairs and bathrooms because hey, it's only a couple of hours. Stand up and cheer, and always *go* before you leave the house/restaurant.

bchoter
06-06-2007, 05:28 PM

If only the same can be said for all. Kaya lang...

I think there is no argument that there IS a better venue aside from the firetrap/NAS and the too remote/ULTRA.

Sa tulad kong miron, pag maganda ang pairings at may oras, tiyak manonood ako ng live. Kahit saan pa yan.
Sama akong lima jan bluewing. Maski nga non-UAAP game basta patok ang ang match-up game ako. Pero scratch the DLSU-ADMU game for me. PAra sa isang miron ang hirap manood ng live. Siksikan. Mahirap mag park. Mahirap din mag commute. ANg hirap humagilap ng ticket. At higit sa lahat nakakadugo ng ilong ang mga salita... puro ingles.

bchoter
06-06-2007, 06:07 PM
* The Arena in San Juan

Here is my ranking from best to worst:

6. The Arena in San Juan - accessible by commute, has parking, is new and nice, but there's nowhere to hang out nearby
The Arena ranks high for me because of its proximity to Greenhills. The better half can always re-discover the nooks and crannies of GH while I watch non-UST games.

bluewing
06-06-2007, 06:57 PM
da best ang loyola center dahil enclosed ito from the outside. so yung mga tulirong talunan, hindi basta-basta masasagasaan...

true.blue
06-06-2007, 11:03 PM
Well it also leaks at BEG and it also gets flooded along Katipunan when it rains.

How many sure exit/entry are there at BEG?

IMHO, ULTRA is a better alternative.* I can think of 3 exit/entrance gates.

I don't remember seeing the BEG roof leak anymore since repairs were done in 2000 or 2001.

Each bleacher side has its own exclusive exit and ramp going to either the front or the back parking lot. Add these two exits to the two exits for the lower and upper box sections and you have a total of 4 exits, not to mention the natural ventilatipn with the wide open balcony behnd the upperbox behind the north goal.

5FootCarrot
06-07-2007, 07:43 AM
The Arena ranks high for me because of its proximity to Greenhills. The better half can always re-discover the nooks and crannies of GH while I watch non-UST games.
Ayaw ko roon kasi hindi walking distance yung shopping area. Paano naman ang mga tulad ko na nangangailangan ng retail therapy, win or lose? ;D

GreenArrows
06-07-2007, 11:05 AM
Ayaw ko roon kasi hindi walking distance yung shopping area. Paano naman ang mga tulad ko na nangangailangan ng retail therapy, win or lose? ;D

Bwahahahahaha! You and me both 5FC!!! Don't forget, a place to eat our frustrations away or celebrate our victories, di ba?!

The UAAP Board is meeting on June 28. Let's just wait and see if the host school has made any 'alternate' proposals. For me personally, I like the Philsports Arena and the BEG (yes, the Blue Eagle Gym. why are you surprised?) to be the alternate sites. Just the right size for UAAP games outside the 'blockbuster' type of games. BUT, that's just me.

Wherever the host school decides on and the UAAP Board approves it, you can be sure I will be there to cheer my team on. Kahit saan, kahit kailan!

bluegirl
06-07-2007, 11:13 AM
in my opinion, masyadong inaccessible ang Philsports Arena (dating Ultra ito right?) same with the arena.

the following, i think are some of the things that are factored when making decisions regarding the venue:
1. Cost
2. Capacity
3. Accessibility
4. schedule

so for me, maybe we should consider first kung anu bang pinag-basehan ng mga taong involved sa pagpili ng venue.

BigBlue
06-07-2007, 11:49 AM
Philsports is such a badly designed venue. Just look back a few years ago to the Wowowee stampede. Because it's built on a cliff, alternate entry points are difficult to get to. No provision for parking, the closest thing to "safe" parking is paying tambays to watch your car (some charge as high as Php40!), should you decide not to pay, prepare to come back to a broken windshield after the game.

Ranger
06-07-2007, 12:34 PM
Huwag sa BEG! ang init doon... Philsports the most ideal. When it was last held there i remember it getting filled up on many playing dates... So why the difficulty in commuting?

5FootCarrot
06-07-2007, 01:33 PM
Philsports is a nice venue in terms of seating and amenities, but I know it's accessible mainly by taxi and FX. I'm not too sure if jeepneys pass there (maglalakad ka yata kung susubukan mong mag-jeep doon), but you can definitely forget about taking a bus or a train to get to that vicinity.

bchoter
06-07-2007, 05:18 PM
Philsports is such a badly designed venue. Just look back a few years ago to the Wowowee stampede. Because it's built on a cliff, alternate entry points are difficult to get to. No provision for parking, the closest thing to "safe" parking is paying tambays to watch your car (some charge as high as Php40!), should you decide not to pay, prepare to come back to a broken windshield after the game.
Or missing spare tire (hindi ito yung spare na dinadala sa mga tahimik na lugar sa gawi roon ng Philsports).

casual_observer
06-07-2007, 06:10 PM
kung nagkakanakawan nga ng spare tire o ng side mirror sa vicinity ng Philsports Arena, meron na bang nagreklamo about it? dapat kasi nagrereklamo yung mga nabiktima at nang malaman ng Philsports management, Pasig City Police at Barangay Oranbo na may mga ganung incidents everytime na may malaking event sa Philsports such as the UAAP.

well anyway, may nabanggit dito about the Cuneta Astrodome being "a dangerous place" to visit. as far as i know, vicinity of the Cuneta Astrodome is always filled with people during weekdays, in particular those with business at the DFA, which is almost adjacent to the Astrodome. gusto ko lang malaman kung anong naging basis nung mga tao sa pagsasabi na "dangerous" ang Cuneta Astrodome samantalang in reality ay wala naman talaga na kahit isa sa mga venues na sinabi na natin dito na masasabing safe talaga (Araneta Coliseum included).

Bennie Bangag
06-07-2007, 08:03 PM
well anyway, may nabanggit dito about the Cuneta Astrodome being "a dangerous place" to visit. as far as i know, vicinity of the Cuneta Astrodome is always filled with people during weekdays, in particular those with business at the DFA, which is almost adjacent to the Astrodome. gusto ko lang malaman kung anong naging basis nung mga tao sa pagsasabi na "dangerous" ang Cuneta Astrodome samantalang in reality ay wala naman talaga na kahit isa sa mga venues na sinabi na natin dito na masasabing safe talaga (Araneta Coliseum included).

well, well, it appears that you were born not long ago ;D

to fill you in, cuneta astrodome is notorious for its "bantay-salakay" security. walang pinapatawad rito. in fact, the PBA had to abandon cuneta as among its regular playing venues after players openly complained that their belongings and valuables were being stolen RIGHT INSIDE THE DUGOUTS. snatchers, bukas kotses, and armed robbers roamed freely in the vicinity of cuneta.

i'm sure the pasay city government has done major steps in recent years to ensure the safety of property and lives inside cuneta, but the damage to its reputation has yet to fully repaired. the fact that it is now the haven of big-time cockfighting outside the big dome does not help in rehabilitating its image.

casual_observer
06-07-2007, 08:29 PM
^ ah. eh bata pa naman talaga ako noong mga panahon na nasa Cuneta pa ang PBA so talagang wala akong masyadong alam dun sa mga bantay-salakay security stories na yan. ;D

well anyway, siguro naman ay gumagawa na ng steps ang Pasay City Government para ma-step-up ang security sa vicinity ng Cuneta Astrodome given the fact that there were already complaints about the total lack of security and incidents of lawlessness (if i can call it as such) recorded. isa pa, kung walang ginagawa ang gobyerno ng Pasay, siguro ay hindi magkakaroon doon ng games (as far as i know, ang alternate venues ng PBA sa Araneta Coliseum are the Cuneta Astrodome and the Ynares Center in Antipolo) ang PBA nowadays, di ba? ;)

hmmmm... teka nga muna... kung panay pala ang pagtingin natin sa negative sides ng bawat alternate venue sa Araneta Coliseum for the UAAP games, eh mabuti pa pala siguro na pag-ipunan nang husto ng UAAP board ang pambayad sa mga Araneta para halos sa atin na lang ang Big Dome habang wala pang kalaban sa schedule ng paggamit ng place. besides, lumalabas na walang ibang gusto ang karamihan dito sa atin kundi sa Araneta Coliseum lang gawin ang lahat ng laro ng UAAP kahit na hindi crowd getter yung game.

lastly, about the complaints aired against the Ninoy Aquino Stadium and the Rizal Memorial Coliseum, siguro naman ay aware ang Philippine Sports Commission sa state ng mga venues na ito at sa dami ng reklamo about them. the PSC should really take the necessary steps in RESTORING the entire Rizal Memorial Sports Complex to bring them up to modern standards (although i would really prefer to have an entirely new, Olympic-standard sports facility for the country to be situated in either Bonifacio Global City or the Manila Bay reclamation area). yung NAS, dapat ayusin ang ventilation at ang buong facility na rin at dapat magkaroon ng adjustments sa lugar based on the Fire Code (dahil firetrap talaga yung lugar). as for the RMC, siguro ventilation (if possible, have it airconditioned) at pag-aayos ng buong venue.

john_paul_manahan
06-07-2007, 09:05 PM
Philsports is a nice venue in terms of seating and amenities, but I know it's accessible mainly by taxi and FX. I'm not too sure if jeepneys pass there (maglalakad ka yata kung susubukan mong mag-jeep doon), but you can definitely forget about taking a bus or a train to get to that vicinity.

you can take a jeep. "look for the crossing" signboard.

casual_observer
06-07-2007, 09:35 PM
hmmmmm... i think the Cuneta Astrodome's "nightmares" are slowly taking place right inside the Ninoy Aquino Stadium, according to this article (http://www.inboundpass.com/2007/06/07/la-salle-wins-but-loses-to-robbers/) by Tony Atayde of inboundpass.com (http://www.inboundpass.com)...

La Salle Wins But Loses to Robbers
by Tony Atayde
Thursday, 7 June 2007

x x x

But the story was not out on the basketball court but in the dugout. When the La Salle team got to their locker room at the Ninoy Aquino Stadium, they found that the door leading directly to their locker room was open and the players’ cubicles ransacked. Initial reports mentioned that cell phones and wallets were taken.

x x x

shyboy
06-07-2007, 09:45 PM
Actually, a short walk from Philsports thru Oranbo will get you to Shaw Blvd where you can take the jeepney going to Edsa (MRT Crossing), Mandaluyong, Sta. Mesa (LRT 3) up to Quiapo.

shyboy
06-07-2007, 09:47 PM
hmmmmm... i think the Cuneta Astrodome's "nightmares" are slowly taking place right inside the Ninoy Aquino Stadium, according to this article (http://www.inboundpass.com/2007/06/07/la-salle-wins-but-loses-to-robbers/) by Tony Atayde of inboundpass.com (http://www.inboundpass.com)...

La Salle Wins But Loses to Robbers
by Tony Atayde
Thursday, 7 June 2007

x x x

But the story was not out on the basketball court but in the dugout. When the La Salle team got to their locker room at the Ninoy Aquino Stadium, they found that the door leading directly to their locker room was open and the players’ cubicles ransacked. Initial reports mentioned that cell phones and wallets were taken.

x x x

Yan pala ang reason kaya dala-dala nila yung bags nila out of the dugout during the DLSU-UE halftime break of the NSL.

casual_observer
06-07-2007, 09:50 PM
^ which makes me think twice about the kind of security that the Philippine Sports Commission is exercising in its facilities (Rizal Memorial Sports Complex and the Philsports Complex). kung players nga mismo, tinitira ng mga masasamang loob, yung audience pa kaya? ::)

RuckuS
06-13-2007, 03:34 PM
^ NAS nangyari yang incident na yan. ;D

peterstrauss
06-14-2007, 08:40 AM
BEG has 4 exits and the leak is not directly on the playing court compare to NAS.

it is true ULTRA is the best alternative venue.

aguila
06-14-2007, 06:10 PM
I say The Arena in san juan is the best venue. Maliit nga lang compared to araneta.

paul_tamaraws
06-17-2007, 04:40 PM
according to newly-appointed uaap commissioner ed cordero, the schedule for men's basketball has not yet been finalized, meaning to say na pwede pang baguhin ang venue before the season opens on july 07, kaya titingnan namin nung ano ang magiging kahihinatnan ng uaap board meeting sa june 28...

casual_observer
06-17-2007, 05:36 PM
^ i am guessing that UST will take another look at the suggestion of Ateneo board rep Ricky Palou on having The Arena in San Juan as an alternate venue instead of the Ninoy Aquino Stadium. however, the small sitting capacity of The Arena (4,000) could be a turn-off so the board should consider other venues such as the Philsports Arena, the Blue Eagle Gym and the Cuneta Astrodome (surprisingly, this place would surely be included in the list).

cl.blue.24
06-17-2007, 06:51 PM
^ i am guessing that UST will take another look at the suggestion of Ateneo board rep Ricky Palou on having The Arena in San Juan as an alternate venue instead of the Ninoy Aquino Stadium. however, the small sitting capacity of The Arena (4,000) could be a turn-off so the board should consider other venues such as the Philsports Arena, the Blue Eagle Gym and the Cuneta Astrodome (surprisingly, this place would surely be included in the list).

I suggest not having the Arena in San Juan as an alternate venue since NCAA is already using this venue. There might be problems with the schedule. The Philsports Arena is the best venue aside from Araneta.

Another, I suggest they schedule the 'big games' or rather, those with big audience, be held on weekends (such as Ateneo-La Salle, Ateneo-UP, La Salle-UST, Ateneo-UST) and if possible, in Araneta.

casual_observer
06-17-2007, 08:15 PM
^ siguro naman ay walang magiging problema sa scheduling as far as the use of The Arena in San Juan as alternate venue is concerned. based on this year's NCAA schedule (http://www.ubelt.com/ub/ncaa/mbb/games.aspx), The Arena in San Juan will only host NCAA games during Wednesdays and Fridays, thus it would be very possible for the UAAP to have the place used during Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays. of course, we still do not know if there will be conflicts on the availability of The Arena in San Juan on schedules other than Wednesdays and Fridays so i suggested in my earlier posts that the UAAP should also look in other possible alternate venues such as the Philsports Arena, the Blue Eagle Gym and the Cuneta Astrodome.

however, my main concern with the use of The Arena in San Juan as an alternate venue for the UAAP is the fact that it is quite a small venue, with only a seating capacity of 4,000 as compared to Philsports' 10,000, Cuneta's 10,000 and BEG's 7,500. siguro ang magandang gawin ay yung mga games na hindi gaanong tinatao ay gagawin sa The Arena in San Juan pero yung mga malalaking games (Ateneo vs La Sallle, Ateneo vs UP, La Salle vs UST, La Salle vs Ateneo, La Salle vs FEU and Ateneo vs UE) ay dapat sa Araneta Coliseum gawin nang WEEKENDS. magiging problema na lang kung hindi available ang Big Dome kapag weekends due to conflict in schedule, thus the real need for a "bigger" alternate venue like Philsports and Cuneta arises.

lastly, hindi ba't pabor sa ABS-CBN kung ang The Arena in San Juan din ang alternate venue ng UAAP? hindi na kasi magpapalipat-lipat ng gamit ang ABS-CBN just in case parehong nasa The Arena ang UAAP at ang NCAA.

paul_tamaraws
06-17-2007, 10:00 PM
^ siguro naman ay walang magiging problema sa scheduling as far as the use of The Arena in San Juan as alternate venue is concerned. based on this year's NCAA schedule (http://www.ubelt.com/ub/ncaa/mbb/games.aspx), The Arena in San Juan will only host NCAA games during Wednesdays and Fridays, thus it would be very possible for the UAAP to have the place used during Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays. of course, we still do not know if there will be conflicts on the availability of The Arena in San Juan on schedules other than Wednesdays and Fridays so i suggested in my earlier posts that the UAAP should also look in other possible alternate venues such as the Philsports Arena, the Blue Eagle Gym and the Cuneta Astrodome.

however, my main concern with the use of The Arena in San Juan as an alternate venue for the UAAP is the fact that it is quite a small venue, with only a seating capacity of 4,000 as compared to Philsports' 10,000, Cuneta's 10,000 and BEG's 7,500. siguro ang magandang gawin ay yung mga games na hindi gaanong tinatao ay gagawin sa The Arena in San Juan pero yung mga malalaking games (Ateneo vs La Sallle, Ateneo vs UP, La Salle vs UST, La Salle vs Ateneo, La Salle vs FEU and Ateneo vs UE) ay dapat sa Araneta Coliseum gawin nang WEEKENDS. magiging problema na lang kung hindi available ang Big Dome kapag weekends due to conflict in schedule, thus the real need for a "bigger" alternate venue like Philsports and Cuneta arises.

lastly, hindi ba't pabor sa ABS-CBN kung ang The Arena in San Juan din ang alternate venue ng UAAP? hindi na kasi magpapalipat-lipat ng gamit ang ABS-CBN just in case parehong nasa The Arena ang UAAP at ang NCAA.

for me, the arena in san juan is not a perfect venue for the UAAP because of its seating capacity, i would rather prefer philsports and araneta as better venues dahil accessible naman to for some students/alumnis from different UAAP schools, at malapit lang ang philsports sa amin(im from mandaluyong) since sa pasig ang location nito... at di mabigat sa pamasahe dahil isang sakay lang ako papunta dun, ganun din sa araneta, jeep + MRT at andun ka na, unlike sa NAS, nakakaligaw masyado dun at delikado pa sa gabi dahil maraming mga snatcher dun... kaya if i were UST, i would rather change my mind before the season starts...

Howard the Duck
06-18-2007, 11:49 AM
IMHO, the Arena is perfect. Di naman dinudumog ang UAAP lalo na kung early rounds palang. Maybe use the Arena for small-time and Thursday games. Yung weekend games sa ibang lugar na.

ashcroft
06-18-2007, 03:22 PM
in my opinion, sobrang init sa Blue Eagle Gym, lalo na yung sa General admission, kung saan karamihan ng students ay umuupo dahil nandun yung mga pep squads, masaya, maingay at mura yung tickets, ay walang ventilation or electric fan, yung lower box lang at patron yung may mga fans, ang maganda nga lang ay accessible siya from UP... isang jeepnet ride lang... at may malapit na LRT(purple line) station...

wilhelm
07-01-2007, 10:46 PM
pano na kaya ung CR sa ninoy? haha

dickismael69
07-02-2007, 04:55 PM
Di pa pwedeng sa The Arena nalang ang ibang venue? mas ok dun eh.. Tsaka di naman matatamaan ang games ng NCAA eh... Dba?

jollibeeaddict
08-05-2007, 08:21 PM
is the UAAP "abandoning" the NAS for either the Philsports Arena or The Arena in San Juan due an "untoward incident?" abangan! ;D