PDA

View Full Version : The NBA Draft

Pages : 1 [2]

Semenelin
06-27-2008, 04:05 PM
Rockets trade 1st pick Batum for Dorsey, Greene (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/hotstories/5859356.html)

..."In the end, it was separate deals that ended up completing a three-way transaction that sent Batum to the Trail Blazers, Darrell Arthur to the Grizzlies and Greene and Dorsey to the Rockets, along with a second-round pick from the Grizzlies in 2009."...

john_paul_manahan
06-27-2008, 04:08 PM
could they stash the french dude for the moment?

erichubert
06-27-2008, 04:23 PM
I think they can stash him, but the reports are conflicting, some say he will play in Europe first, some say he will sign a contract with Portland right away. Regardless, I think he is a steal for Portland.

john_paul_manahan
06-27-2008, 05:32 PM
http://jpmanahan.multiply.com/journal/item/252/The_2008_NBA_draft_as_i_see_it.

do you think i am right?

CM_Punk
06-27-2008, 10:37 PM
Batum is still very young, he can spend more time in France to improve his game. He should follow the lead of his future teammate Rudy Fernandez, who spent an extra year in Spain to get better as a player after he was drafted in the 1st round.

coreytaylor
06-28-2008, 01:21 PM
Bulls take Rose with No. 1 pick in NBA draft
By BRIAN MAHONEY, AP Basketball Writer
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news

NEW YORK (AP)—Minutes after the NBA draft started, Derrick Rose learned he was headed home. Long after it ended, O.J. Mayo and Kevin Love were on the move.

A night that began with the expected pick ended with a stunning trade, which had two top-five selections changing teams as part of an eight-player deal between Minnesota and Memphis.

The Timberwolves dealt the rights to Mayo, the No. 3 pick, to the Grizzlies for Love, taken two spots later, in a trade that wasn’t completed until past 2 a.m. EDT, some two hours after Boston made the 60th and final pick of the draft.

Minnesota also received Mike Miller, Jason Collins and Brian Cardinal, and sent Antoine Walker, Marko Jaric and Greg Buckner to Memphis.

“We fully expected to have O.J. on our team next year,” Minnesota assistant general manager Fred Hoiberg said. “This deal came up very late in the draft. We just felt this deal had too many pieces that addressed needs that we had that we just couldn’t pass it up.”

“Plans are on the fly in this business,” Grizzlies GM Chris Wallace said. “We were hoping to get O.J., but awhile back it was obvious he was not going to drop to five.”

Hours earlier, the Chicago Bulls selected Rose, who grew up on the city’s South Side, with the No. 1 pick, choosing the Memphis guard over Kansas State forward Michael Beasley.

With Beasley going second to Miami and Mayo following, college freshmen made up the first three picks for the first time in draft history.

“We actually talked about this earlier,” Beasley said. “We all grew up together and we all grew up playing against each other and we all made a pact together that we would all be here. Just to see it all fall into place and see it all happen is kind of crazy.”

Five of the first seven players selected and 10 in the first round were freshmen, both NBA records. It was also a big night for the Pac-10 Conference, which had five of the first 11 picks.

Rose led the Tigers to the national championship game in his lone college season. The Bulls opted for the point guard’s playmaking ability over the scoring and rebounding of Beasley, who ranked in the top three in the nation in both categories.

“We talked so much about it. We really did,” Bulls general manager John Paxson said. “Very honestly, at the end when we made our decision, it was unanimous with my scouts and coaches and myself. This was the direction we wanted to go in the end, and it has nothing to do with the talent of Michael Beasley. This had everything to do with the direction we felt was right for us.”

The 6-foot-3 Rose put on a red Bulls cap, hugged some supporters, including Memphis coach John Calipari, and shook hands with Beasley, seated at a nearby table, before walking onto the stage to meet NBA commissioner David Stern.

“I was a little nervous when they came back out, but I always had that in mind that I want to be No. 1,” Rose said. “So it was great hearing my name and being the No. 1 pick.”

Expected to contend for a division title, the Bulls instead stumbled to a 33-49 record and eventually replaced two coaches. But with just a 1.7 percent chance, they won last month’s draft lottery, giving them a chance to quickly return to the playoffs.

“It feels great to go in and compete,” Rose said. “I’m just blessed to be in that position right now, because a lot of people aren’t. And just knowing that we are a few pieces away from really contending as a team, it just makes me happy.”

Miami settled for Beasley, who wasn’t sure if the Heat would go for Mayo instead. Beasley averaged 26.2 points, third in the nation, and topped Division I with 12.4 rebounds per game. But with questions about his size—he may be 2 inches shorter than the 6-foot-10 he’s listed at—the Bulls may not have believed he could play the 4 spot in the NBA.

UCLA guard Russell Westbrook was the first non-freshmen taken, going fourth to the Seattle SuperSonics—with new teammate and reigning Rookie of the Year Kevin Durant standing and applauding the pick from the back.

Love gave UCLA consecutive picks and the New York Knicks followed at No. 6 with Italian forward Danilo Gallinari, whose father played with new coach Mike D’Antoni overseas. Fans in Madison Square Garden weren’t impressed, booing loudly.

“It’s part of the game, all the players have got to hear this,” Gallinari said. “Not every time can you hear good things. It’s normal.”

Indiana guard Eric Gordon became the fifth freshman taken, going to the Los Angeles Clippers at No. 7. West Virginia’s Joe Alexander, whose stock began to rise after a strong run at Madison Square Garden in the Big East tournament, went to Milwaukee with the next pick.

Charlotte gave new coach Larry Brown a point guard, taking D.J. Augustin of Texas with the ninth pick. New Jersey took Stanford center Brook Lopez at No. 10, and Arizona’s Jerryd Bayless joined fellow Pac-10 guards Mayo and Westbrook by going 11th to Indiana.

Bayless’ rights were later traded to Portland along with Ike Diogu for the rights to Brandon Rush, the No. 13 pick from national champion Kansas, Jarrett Jack and Josh McRoberts. Rush’s agent, Mark Bartelstein, told The Associated Press about the deal shortly after Rush was taken.

Sacramento pulled a surprise at No. 12 with Rider forward Jason Thompson, the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference player of the year and the first senior taken. Golden State grabbed LSU forward Anthony Randolph—yet another freshman — with the 14th and final lottery pick.

Robin Lopez joined twin brother Brook in the NBA when Phoenix chose him at No. 15. That started a run of big men in which Philadelphia took Florida’s Marreese Speights, Toronto picked Roy Hibbert of Georgetown at No. 17, and Washington drafted Nevada 7-footer JaVale McGee with the 18th pick.

Darrell Arthur of Kansas was the final player in the green room, lasting until the 27th spot, where New Orleans grabbed him—and dealt his rights to Portland for cash in a previously arranged deal. The Trail Blazers then traded his rights to the Houston Rockets, who shipped them to Memphis in another transaction.

NBA champion Boston chose J.R. Giddens of New Mexico with the 30th and final pick of the first round.

Mario Chalmers, Darnell Jackson (No. 52, Miami) and Sasha Kaun (No. 56, Seattle) were taken in the second round, giving the Jayhawks five players in the draft—and all had their rights traded. Chalmers was picked by Minnesota but his rights were later dealt to Miami. Cleveland later acquired the rights to both Jackson and Kaun.

Joey Dorsey (Portland, No. 33, rights traded to Houston) and Chris Douglas-Roberts (New Jersey, No. 40) of runner-up Memphis also were picked. Texas A&M center DeAndre Jordan, considered a possible lottery pick, tumbled to the Clippers at No. 35.

Other well-known names going late in the draft included: UCLA’s Luc Mbah a Moute (No. 37, Milwaukee); Georgetown’s Patrick Ewing Jr. (No. 43, Sacramento); Kansas State’s Bill Walker (No. 47, Washington, rights traded to Boston); and Kentucky’s Joe Crawford (No. 58, Lakers).

coreytaylor
06-28-2008, 02:25 PM
i was completely stunned when joey dorsey(33rd pick) was picked earlier than CDR(40th pick).* ;D haha bilog talaga ang bola when it comes to the nba draft. :D

coreytaylor
06-28-2008, 03:01 PM
Great pickups by New Jersey (B. Lopez, Anderson and CDR), good job Mr. Rod Thorn and Kiki.* :)

indeed! they made their bench a little deep, at least. i just dont like the jefferson trade. they should have traded vince instead. but hell, who would want vince with such a big contract?? >:(

coreytaylor
06-28-2008, 03:05 PM
Galinari better show up early or else D' Antoni's gonna be getting some boos too. :D

i really hope coz they made the dumbest choice in the draft! stupid stupid stupid! >:(

Mateen Cleaves
06-28-2008, 05:47 PM
Joe D is sick, he got the guy he wanted (DJ white) but he traded the right to the 32nd and 42nd pick. They received walter sharpe >:(.

Without a doubt, Detroit got the real sleeper of the 2008 NBA Draft, in Walter Sharpe. To make amends for drafting Darko, Joe D. decided to pick Narco! ;D

Apparently, Detroit believes that Sharpe is a natural SF, even though he played PF in college. He'll be given a chance to audition for the back-up spot to Prince. DJ White, according to Dumars, was too similar a player to Jason Maxiell. Not enough value there for a guaranteed contract.

coreytaylor
06-29-2008, 10:19 AM
McHale: Love's the one he's with
by: Steve Aschburner, INSIDE THE NBA
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/

MINNEAPOLIS -- One o'clock came and went, and for the weary media folks waiting until the wee hours Friday morning at Target Center for the official team announcement, the news already was becoming obvious: The Timberwolves were going to fire Mets manager Willie Randolph all over again.

How else to explain an NBA draft that was pushing well into the witching hour, some 57 picks and a second work shift since the Wolves grabbed USC guard O.J. Mayo with the third selection, back around the time commissioner and first-round emcee David Stern first cleared his throat?

Twenty-four more minutes passed before Kevin McHale, Minnesota's vice president of basketball operations, appeared, trailed by general manager Jim Stack and assistant GM Fred Hoiberg. All three of them had bleary but satisfied looks on their faces, like a surgical team that had just snapped off the latex gloves and shed the scrubs after an around-the-clock ordeal in which the patient, happily, survived.

Hold up, though. These were the Timberwolves. This was McHale. And this was draft night, an out-of-season Halloween for most of the franchise's checkered existence when it comes to identifying, selecting and retaining the right pro prospect. Draft Brandon Roy, trade him immediately for Randy Foye, then watch Roy assert his future stardom as the league's best rookie. Draft Ray Allen, trade him immediately for Stephon Marbury, then watch Allen celebrate an NBA title 12 years later for some other team with the cornerstone player (Kevin Garnett) Marbury was supposed to sidekick. Draft William Avery. Draft Paul Grant. Draft Ndudi Ebi. Draft Rashad McCants. And then, of course, keep each of those guys, at least long enough to expose their limitations.

So you started to scan for the blood stains and wonder what sort of Frankenstein's monster, what horrific two-headed devil dog, McHale and his cohorts had concocted in their loony laboratory this time.

That's when the word came: Mayo had been traded to Memphis, in essence, for No. 5 pick Kevin Love and Grizzlies swingman Mike Miller. There were other pieces involved -- veterans Marko Jaric, Antoine Walker and Greg Buckner leaving Minnesota, Jason Collins and Brian Cardinal coming back -- that enticed the Wolves for a net slashing of payroll and contract duration. But the success or failure of this deal will be dictated by how good Mayo becomes, how good UCLA's Love maybe doesn't become and whether the Wolves are positioned to do anything tangible as a team by the time Miller, who turned 29 in February, is ready to retire.

"In the deal, we get the best big man in the draft, I felt, and we get a knock-down shooter in Mike Miller,'' McHale said. "Very seldom do you see a guy [Love] come into the Pac-10, which is a rough, tough conference, and not only be Freshman of the Year but Player of the Year. So we couldn't be happier.''

The modest crowd assembled in Minnesota's practice gym for its draft "party'' sounded plenty happy when Mayo -- a Pac-10 freshman rival of Love's -- was announced and the highlight reel unspooled. By the time Hoiberg spoke to the fans, talking of his Iowa State and Chicago ties with current USC coach Tim Floyd, people were sold. Extra Mayo, please!

Besides, at that moment, there was no trade in the works. Minnesota had laid some groundwork with Memphis in the days preceding the draft and made a couple of phone calls early Thursday evening. But once the Grizzlies took Love, McHale said, it all went on "shutdown mode'' for the next 90 minutes. Finally, at the end of the first round, Memphis called back.

Now, right there, that might have raised some red flags for some execs. Not so much that the Grizzlies learned something about Love that worried them ("I don't think they had that much time to really take him in the gym and work him out," McHale scoffed). But rather, maybe Memphis GM Chris Wallace or someone else in their front office suddenly realized, "Hey, no one has snookered McHale yet this year! What's that area code again, 6-1-2?''

"No,'' McHale said. "I never felt that way anyway.''

From the Wolves' perspective, they got a swell "locker room guy'' in Cardinal, and a legitimate 7-foot center in Collins who can spare Al Jefferson minutes at a position he doesn't enjoy. They also got Miller, a career 40 percent shooter from three-point range who can make foes pay for sagging on Big Al. And they also got Love, a player who flattered McHale with stories about his dad, former pro Stan Love, showing the kid footage of the longtime Celtics power forward.

Where others question Love's athletic ability and natural position in the NBA, McHale sees a multitalented hybrid who gets by as much from his neck up as other players, including Mayo, do from their necks down.

"Sometimes in our league we only see a bunch of athletes jumping and doing stuff,'' the Minnesota exec said. "Kevin Love actually boxes out and moves. He got 11 rebounds a game in the Pac-10 by knowing how to play. Defensively, he moves his feet in small areas very well. He and Al, the one thing, neither one of them are classic 7-footers. But years ago, Wes Unseld and Elvin Hayes won a championship, and Wes Unseld was 6-7 and Elvin Hayes was 6-8, maybe 6-9. If you know how to play, it makes up for a lot, and both those guys really know how to play.''

Sounds swell. But you can't blame the locals, when McHale starts scheming, for getting nervous.

They remember so many of the trades that failed, the picks that petered out. They cringe about the Jaric for Sam Cassell move in 2005 for which the Wolves still owe the Clippers a future first-round pick. They remember vividly the "first'' Boston trade, in January 2006, that brought notorious malingerers Ricky Davis and Mark Blount aboard, coronated Marcus Banks as the team's point guard of the new millennium and essentially cost Dwane Casey his job as coach.

The Roy-Foye switcheroo came a few months after that -- some folks wonder if McHale didn't just mix up the rhyming names. To shed Davis and Blount last fall, they took on Walker's burdensome contract, more trash to be taken out Thursday. And, of course, there was McHale's piece de resistance: the seven-for-one blockbuster that delivered Garnett not only to McHale's old club and the parquet floor in Boston but also right onto the cover of Sports Illustrated, standing next to Bill Russell, beaming like a kid on Christmas morning who just found the Larry O'Brien trophy in his stocking. Minnesota, meanwhile, slid from 30 victories to 22 with buddy Danny Ainge's discards.

Little wonder then that people fret about McHale getting too clever by half. Or too ambitious and desperate by whole. Also, it doesn't instill confidence when a team uses a prime draft spot to clean up past mistakes, like Walker (really, Davis and Blount hangover) and the $21 million left on Jaric's contract.

In McHale's view, the fears are unfounded. He has a vision of how he wants his team to play, a vision that never fully meshed with Garnett's strengths or Flip Saunders' style and thus took more than a decade to seriously pursue. McHale wants heady guys moving, thinking and playing as one, with no SportsCenter plays of the day necessary. With all the Celtics' nostalgia unleashed this month by their Finals appearance and 17th championship, it's quite likely that McHale is chasing a proven old model. Think of Love as a poor man's Bird, a passing, shooting and slightly unorthodox fit with a fierce competitive streak. Think of Jefferson as McHale, a low-post terror. Foye, if he's lucky, gets to be Dennis Johnson, a clutch combo guard. And Miller is Ainge with more height and better range. That leaves, who, Collins as Robert Parish? Or maybe, in time, Thursday's No. 31 pick, Serbian big man Nikola Pekovic.

Hey, McHale can dream. And in the meantime, he can shoulder the risks, which include Pekovic's NBA vs. Euroleague career arc and the Wolves' decision at No. 34 to draft but not keep Kansas guard Mario Chalmers for themselves. (Chalmers was shipped to Miami for two future second-round picks and, sure to please owner Glen Taylor, some cash.) There is the risk that Mayo will become a star rather than the next Harold Miner. And the risk that Love won't inspire much from Wolves fans.

"I know what has been put out there about Love's lack of athleticism,'' Stack said. "We did a very extensive study of what he did at the combines and compared it to Al Horford [the 2007 pick at No. 3 and Atlanta's near-Rookie of the Year power forward]. He, across the board, measured almost identical to what Al Horford brought to the table. And he brings a jump shot and an ability to stretch the defense way better than Al Horford.

"From that standpoint, people have said, 'Well this kid's not an athlete.' I beg to differ. This kid jumped 35 inches. He has a big wingspan, he reaches nine feet in the air. And he's dedicated to coming in here. His profile, when we compared these people, was off the charts. We had to trade a very good player in O.J. Mayo, obviously. But it really set us up on so many levels that this was a deal we couldn't pass up.''

McHale was asked specifically about sticking his neck out again, which -- let's be honest -- always is easier when there's no hatchet man standing by. Under Taylor, McHale has enjoyed job security that is inexplicable to many, perverse to some.

"You've got to do what you feel is right,'' he said close to 2 a.m. Friday. "Brandon Roy has played better than Randy Foye their first two years -- I don't think anyone is going to judge anybody's career after two years. If there's something you feel you [should] do, you've got to do it. I've never been one to worry about it.

"I felt like this was a deal that was best for our team. I couldn't be happier with it.''

coreytaylor
06-29-2008, 10:39 AM
NBA draft’s winners, losers
By Dan Wetzel, Yahoo! Sports

The NBA draft, the annual exercise in hype, hysterics and horrible trades, decisions and wardrobe, is always one of the most entertaining evenings of the year. As a service to the readers, here’s our annual take on the winners and losers from New York.

WINNER

CHICAGO

The Bulls took hometown star Derrick Rose with the No. 1 pick. Yes, they have a glut of backcourt players but none as good as the Simeon High product. He’s a monster talent, a winner (he led Memphis to the NCAA title game) and while not a vocal leader he is the kind of player guys love playing with.

At the end of the day when a franchise can get the best player in the draft, who is a franchise point guard that is already popular in town, it’s a good night.

LOSER

MINNESOTA and MEMPHIS

Two of the most puzzling front offices in the NBA were cited for creating the NBA Finals this year. Minnesota gave Boston Kevin Garnett while Memphis handed over Pau Gasol to Los Angeles.

So when they make a trade, let alone a late-night, draft-night, eight-player swap, oh the potential humanity. Can there really be a winner?

Here are the particulars: Minnesota sent its third pick, O.J. Mayo, along with a guy with a bad contract, Marko Jaric, and two afterthoughts and bad contracts in Antoine Walker and Greg Buckner to Memphis for the No. 5 pick, Kevin Love, still-reliable scorer Mike Miller and two afterthoughts with useless contracts, Brian Cardinal and Jason Collins.

Memphis got the best player. Minnesota got more good players.

Who knows which is better? Mayo is the steal here, a star in the making. Of course, Memphis now has four young guards, including last year’s first-round selection Mike Conley Jr. And the Grizz have no power forward (although they did add rookie Darrell Arthur). But that’s why they are the Grizz. Certainly Conley and Mayo can play together, but they need to move some more players for this to make sense.

Kevin McHale supposedly fell in love with Love, but Love’s game has partially been based on his sheer strength, something that always evens out in the grown-man world of the NBA. It’s not that he’s a bad player, but at 6-9 he isn’t much different than the Wolves’ Al Jefferson. Except he isn’t as athletic, and the NBA is rarely kind to undersized power forwards who lack quick feet and elevation.

Minnesota did dump the horrendous contract of Jaric, but whose fault was that in the first place? Besides, they lose out on courtside sightings of Jaric’s fianc ée, supermodel Adriana Lima, who fans must have appreciated in the dead of a Minnesota winter.

Miller is still a scorer who will help immediately, but on a team as far from contention as Minnesota, is that enough?

Generally the team that gets the best player wins a deal and Memphis got that, even if they may not have needed him. What do you expect from a trade between these two?

WINNER

O.J. MAYO

He may never live down the allegations he took money from an agent during his one year at USC. It’s a scandal that is a big deal in college basketball but amounts to little in the real world. Perception is reality though and Mayo is paying for it.

Thursday he was nattily-attired in a three-piece suit and wearing scholarly glasses as he was selected third overall by Minnesota and later traded to Memphis.

A star in the spotlight since he was a sixth-grader in West Virginia, he looked more than ready to move onto a new chapter in his life, one where NCAA rules can’t haunt him.

LOSER

WASHINGTON

The Wizards can’t get out of the first round of the playoffs and it’s not easy to see how this draft changes that trend. They took JaVale McGee out of Nevada to help inside, but he looks like one of those classic draft mistakes.

McGee is 7-feet tall with a 7-foot-6 wingspan. Against moderate competition in the Western Athletic Conference, he averaged just 7.8 rebounds a game. It’s counterintuitive to think a big man who can’t rebound against smaller opponents in college will start doing it against bigger players in the NBA. This rarely works.

WINNER

MICHAEL BEASLEY

After a dominating freshman year at Kansas State – 26.2 points, 12.4 rebounds a game – the power forward had rumors swirl that his chronic immaturity would cause him to drop in the draft. No one thinks Beasley is a bad guy; he’s just a very young one.

How young and immature? Well, in high school he got suspended from Oak Hill Academy (Va.) – no small feat considering the knuckleheads who have matriculated there. Beasley though was caught engaging in a graffiti contest with a teammate. Told he’d get the boot if he did it again, he promptly tagged the headmaster’s car.

Since then Beasley’s family and summer coach did a masterful job keeping him focused on the task at hand, directing him to a friendly college located way out on the plains and keeping a close eye on his future. It wasn’t easy.

Still, the word was out that Miami would pass on Beasley, mainly because of those old concerns. The Heat, instead, took him at No. 2 after all, proving his talent was too tantalizing. There’s a good chance Beasley accepts the challenge and thrives, but Heat president Pat Riley is aware of the situation.

“We’re hoping he matures real quickly,” said Riley. “We think we have the infrastructure to make that happen real quickly.”

They also have South Beach, of course.

WINNER

PORTLAND

When your owner, Paul Allen, is willing to buy up other team’s draft picks it should be a good night. A year ago the Blazers were a big draft-night winner when they chose Greg Oden, a franchise center out of Ohio State, with the No. 1 pick overall. Then Oden’s knee got hurt and he was lost for the season.

A year later, the Trail Blazers weren’t expected to make things happen again, but after a respectable 41-win season and Oden set to return, the push for the playoffs starts now.

GM Kevin Pritchard pulled off a trade with Indiana that brought in Arizona guard Jerryd Bayless and bulky forward Ike Diogu in exchange for Kansas forward Brandon Rush and guard Jarrett Jack.

The Blazers’ decision to buy New Orleans’ pick at No. 27 for $3 million worked out when Kansas forward Darrell Arthur, a lottery pick level talent, dropped to them due to rumors about a possible kidney ailment.

With no room on the roster for Arthur, they were able to move him (along with second-rounder Joey Dorsey) to Houston for highly-regarded French forward Nicolas Batum, who will stay in Europe this year. Later they traded Omer Asik, a second-round selection out of Turkey, to the Bulls for three future second-round picks.

The Blazers got better, got more picks and foreign talent for the future and had a hand in all sorts of interesting moments of the draft (They traded all five players they originally drafted). Not a bad night.

LOSER

CHARLOTTE

Point guard D.J. Augustin was fine with the Bobcats’ first pick, but they traded a future first-rounder to Denver for the 20th pick so they could add either Georgetown’s Roy Hibbert or Rider’s Jason Thompson. Both are huge centers who could aid Emeka Okafor down low.

Then they watched as Sacramento took Thompson and Indiana grabbed Hibbert, leaving Charlotte holding the bag.

The Michael Jordan/Larry Brown brain trust selected 7-footer Alexis Ajinca of France. Can he help? Well, as ESPN analyst Fran Fraschilla put it:

“So far, he has not been a productive player.”

I doubt that will be a part of the season-ticket advertising campaign.

WINNER

THE LOPEZ FAMILY

Brook Lopez is picked 10th by the New Jersey Nets. Twin brother Robin goes 15th to the Phoenix Suns. Most families understandably break down and cry when one kid gets picked in the NBA lottery. How about two?

Even better – as is their way – the two brothers spent much of the night giving each other a hard time.

Brook is the more serious one – although he may be the only NBA player who likes “Sex and the City.” Robin has the Sideshow Bob haircut, never stops cracking jokes and dates Michelle Wie, who could use his hair for chipping practice. Alas, Michelle had a quintuple bogey Thursday at the U.S. Open, so the day wasn’t perfect.

WINNER

NEW JERSEY

Brook Lopez at 10, Cal power forward Ryan Anderson at 21 and Memphis’ quirky Chris Douglas-Roberts at 40 is value at each spot. The Nets are doing everything with an eye on luring LeBron in 2010, but they got a lot out of each pick Thursday.

LOSER

DEANDRE JORDAN

It’s not so much that the Texas A&M freshman big man came out too early or even that he dropped out of the guaranteed money of the first round to wind up with the Clippers. It’s that in recent weeks his agent, Joel Bell, was refusing to allow teams with picks in the 20s to work Jordan out, assuming he’d go in the teens. Oops.

LOSER

DENVER AND NEW ORLEANS SCOUTS

So you’re a scout for either of these two franchises. You spend the last 12 months crisscrossing the world watching prospects. You go to the ends of the earth – Europe, China, Stillwater. You miss time with the kids, stay in crappy motels, suffer from jet lag. You write reports, watch and rewatch tape and perform character background checks.

No, it’s not ditch digging, but its work. You live for draft night, the moment all your efforts come to fruition.

Then your franchise trades away your draft pick (in the case of Denver) or sells it (in the case of New Orleans). You have no picks. One year of work, all for nothing. And you have to watch your peers at Seattle and Portland combine to make 11 selections.

The worse part: Denver didn’t have a draft pick last year, either.

WINNER

KANSAS

It may not have been as exciting for fans as the national championship, but five Jayhawks were selected Thursday night, including two in the first round. With that kind of talent, it’s no wonder they won it all – runner-up Memphis had three picks. And to think, Davidson almost upset them in the Elite Eight.

LOSER

DRAFT CRITICS

Every armchair GM who loves ripping teams for terrible decisions should have held a moment of silence for the first post-Isiah Thomas draft. The Knicks finally ended the Isiah era this season and, combined with the brooming of Philadelphia’s Billy King, things may never be the same.

Not to get all “Are you going to get in the truck” about it, but thanks Zeke for the laughs, horrible trades, no-name picks and chemistry disasters. We miss you already.

WINNER

FRESHMEN

The NBA age limit now makes guys go to one year of college and plenty of them did the minimum before making a jail break to the NBA. Twelve freshmen were drafted, including seven in the lottery and the first three picks (Rose, Beasley and Mayo).

Conversely, only four seniors went in the first round.

WINNER

FOREIGN PLAYERS

Yes, the era where the European workout fiend was all the rage is over, but the first round was still dotted with players from around the globe. New York took Danilo Gallinari of Italy. Seattle selected Serge Ibaka or the Congo. And Utah picked Kosta Koufus, who emigrated from Canton, Ohio.

Ibaka is an interesting case; he was one of 18 children his parents raised. Even the Duggars were impressed. Shawn Kemp, not so much.

LOSER

PLAYERS TRADED FOR CASH

It happens all the time. One team makes a pick, another buys the rights to the players. Take Bill Walker of Kansas State, who got sold by the Washington Wizards to the Boston Celtics for an undisclosed sum.

First off, it’s rare a man finds out his true worth and, depending on the number, it might be a humbling experience. Of course, when it comes to someone who’s been through the college basketball recruiting system, it’s entirely possible this isn’t the first time there’s been a monetary exchange for services.

Mateen Cleaves
06-29-2008, 01:36 PM
I'm very surprised that CDR lasted all the way to the 40th pick, going to New Jersey. Guess teams still view him as the guy who choked with his free throws in the last few minutes of the NCAA championship game, and the fact that he had had so-so workouts. I'm sure CDR will have a huge chip on his shoulder, and want to prove to all the other teams that they made a mistake in making him fall to the 2nd round.

This might explain his drop more than his NCAA performance. After all, he did play very well in the Finals. But if he was blowing off workouts with the Pistons, he was also probably blowing off other teams that were at the lower end of the first round. Looks like he had an inflated opinion of where he was going to be picked. It's not really a good practice to be choosy about NBA teams unless you're a definite Top 3 pick.

CDR Did NOT Want to Be a Piston
http://wdfn.com/pages/mattdery.html?_show

June 28, WDFN.com:Shep filled in for Jamie yesterday on the WDFN morning show and one of the callers said that he was at CDR's house on draft night. CDR told everyone there (according to this mystery caller) that he did not feel he fit with Detroit and had no interest in being a Piston and wanted to go to a team that ran more. I was working that morning and heard this exchange and I decided to do a little research.

It turns out that the caller (CDR's friend) was right on the money. Douglas-Roberts believed that there was no way he would drop to #29 and likely felt like it was an insult to even believe that he would be available to play for a team like Detroit drafting that low. I talked to someone who knows CDR and he told me that Douglas-Roberts thought he was a top 20 lock. In addition, the Pistons did call CDR's people and offered to work him out. There was no workout. He did not come to the Palace. Now you know the story and the kid ended up going to New Jersey at #40.

mighty_lion
06-29-2008, 03:14 PM
Buti na lang hindi ako fan ng Kings. Otherwise baka tumalon ako sa building namin ng walang paalam. ;D

Suns picked Robin Lopez and got Goran Drajic from this years draft. Not a bad draft day for Suns fan. At least we didnt go home with a player named Cash. ;D

flsfnoeraekadad
06-29-2008, 04:47 PM
The Lakers have the steal of the year.

We have Joe Crawford on our team. Beware, you, especially San Antonio ;D

erichubert
06-30-2008, 02:38 PM
CDR reportedly didn't wow people in workouts, probably because he really didn't possess great athleticism or speed or unbelievable shooting, plus he was very unorthodox in his movements. But personally I don't give a great importance on this workouts, I think actual game performance still counts the most as CDR will prove.

Charlotte would also find this out with Ajinca who had impressive workouts with them but only averaged 5pts a game in France. Baka matulad ito kay Johann Petro, Sene and Frederick Weiss, only picked in the first round because of their workouts but all became busts.

Semenelin
06-30-2008, 02:43 PM
Buti na lang hindi ako fan ng Kings. Otherwise baka tumalon ako sa building namin ng walang paalam. ;D

Suns picked Robin Lopez and got Goran Drajic from this years draft. Not a bad draft day for Suns fan. At least we didnt go home with a player named Cash. ;D

they're trying to buy out the contract of Goran. I hope they do, Nasg needs a PG for a backup. No more skill-ball i guess...

stonecold316
07-08-2008, 02:53 PM
Round 1 to Beasley as Heat top Rose's Bulls in summer league
07/08/2008 | 09:22 AM
Email this | Email the Editor | Print | Digg this | Add to del.icio.us
ORLANDO, Fla. - Michael Beasley stood in the doorway to the gym an hour before gametime, iPod in his left hand, head bobbing slightly as he chatted with new Miami Heat teammate Mario Chalmers.

He was the picture of cool.

And on the court, his demeanor didn't change much.

If Beasley was the tiniest bit anxious about his first pro outing — one that came against the Chicago Bulls and Derrick Rose, the only player selected before him in last month's NBA draft — he hid the nerves perfectly. Beasley scored 28 points in 23 minutes, lifting Miami past Chicago 94-70 Monday in the Orlando summer league opener for both teams.

It was the ninth-highest scoring performance in Orlando summer league history, and true to his form, Beasley wasn't the least bit impressed.

"Could have played better," Beasley said. "Could have got a couple more assists, made a couple extra passes, got a couple more rebounds, could have got a couple stops early on."

He was 9-for-21 from the field, with nine rebounds and 19 points in the second half — matching the total that Bulls forwards Joakim Noah and Tyrus Thomas, both second-year NBA pros, managed in the entire game. The Bulls started with Thomas guarding Beasley, switched to put Noah on him midway through the first quarter, and neither had much of an answer.

"He's a great player on the pick and roll and he's going to be someone who'll be very tough to guard," Noah said. "I mean, I was very impressed. He was very comfortable in everything that he wanted to do and he did a great job."

Meanwhile, Rose had some moments, but simply never took over the game the way Beasley did offensively.

The guard who spearheaded Memphis' run to the NCAA title game this past season finished with 10 points on 3-for-8 shooting, with four assists and five turnovers — mostly while being guarded by Chalmers, who helped Kansas beat Rose's Tigers in that national championship game.

"We didn't win," Rose said, "so I think I played horrible. But tomorrow's a new day." - AP

coreytaylor
07-09-2008, 09:47 AM
Beasley struggles in second summer league game
By TIM REYNOLDS, AP Sports Writer

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP)—Michael Beasley griped about some calls, tumbled after missing layups, then shook his head in disappointment after a rebound bounced off his outstretched hands.

His first summer league game drew raves.

In his second, well, Beasley looked like a rookie again.

One day after scoring 28 points in his much-hyped debut, Beasley returned to earth Tuesday, finishing with only nine points in Miami’s 90-81 summer league win over New Jersey. The second overall pick in last month’s draft was a mere mortal, missing all but one of his 13 shots from the field and collecting nearly as many fouls (seven, there’s no automatic disqualification in summer league) as he did points.

“You can’t have a great game every night,” Beasley said. “But that wasn’t a bad game, though. We still won.”

Beasley might have left the game hurting physically—he had to ditch the thick pad he donned at the start of the game to protect his cracked sternum because it impaired his movement, then got kicked in the left shin during a third-quarter collision and sported a large ice pack on that leg after the game.

But if his spirit was dampened by a 1-for-13 effort, a far cry from what he did in Miami’s win over No. 1 pick Derrick Rose and Chicago in Monday’s opener, he didn’t let it show.

“I feel exactly the same. I’m happy,” Beasley said. “My team’s happy. Coach is happy. We won. They lost. I don’t see any difference.”

Mario Chalmers had 19 points and nine assists, Anthony Morrow had 19 points and Kasib Powell scored 17 for the Heat, who closed the game on a 16-6 run. Brook Lopez and Ryan Anderson each scored 18 for New Jersey.

The Heat moved to 2-0 in the five-games-in-five-days event.

Beasley was 0-for-9 in the first half with five fouls and five turnovers. Many of his shots bounced off the front of the rim, he seemed increasingly frustrated with calls going against him and pleaded his case to the Heat bench after being whistled for a defensive three-second violation.

“It wasn’t exactly my best performance,” Beasley conceded.

He missed his first shot of the second half, too, before finally connecting on a 3-pointer from the left wing midway through the third quarter. It was his lone basket in 27 minutes.

“It’s a humbling experience,” Heat summer league coach Keith Askins said. “He came out and the thing I told him was, ‘Let’s see how good you are when they can prepare for you.”’

New Jersey was prepared for him, and Beasley knew it—really knew it. See, the Heat inadvertently went into the wrong locker room before the game and saw New Jersey’s notes scribbled on a board in their dressing room.

“He saw everything on the board was about him,” Askins said.

Beasley often talks about how the game has always come easily to him; hence the “B-Easy” nickname, which is tattooed on his right shoulder.

But not everything in the NBA will be a cakewalk, and if Beasley didn’t know that before, he learned that lesson Tuesday.

“Every part of my game needs to get stronger,” Beasley said.
Miami Heat forward Michael Beasley gets off a shot over New Jersey Nets' Sean Williams during an NBA summer league basketball game in Orlando, Fla., Tuesday, July 8, 2008.
Miami Heat forward Michael Bea…
AP - Jul 8, 5:12 pm EDT

Beasley is starting to learn another lesson about the NBA: Even in summer league, where the rosters are mostly composed of players hoping to be rookies next season, first-year pros don’t get every call.

Fouls have been a bit of an issue for Beasley so far in Orlando. He picked up three quick ones in Monday’s win over the Bulls, and he heard plenty of whistles blowing in his direction Tuesday.

He might play defense like a rookie, but he can question calls like a seasoned veteran.

“When you get tackled on one end and touch somebody with your pinky finger on the other, it kind of gets frustrating,” he said.

Against Chicago, Beasley had most of his success by getting the ball on the right side of the line, squaring up, then taking a hard dribble to the left and driving past whomever was guarding him, usually Tyrus Thomas or Joakim Noah.

So the Nets did what any team with a scouting report would do and took that away, forcing Beasley to the right and out of his comfort zone.

Heat coach Erik Spoelstra said he has no doubt Beasley can quickly adjust, at both ends of the floor.

“This is what summer is about, learning our system and learning our defensive system because it always starts with that,” Spoelstra said. “You can impact a game in many different ways. It’s not always how many points you score.”