View Full Version : Dukes Up: The Boxing Thread

Pages : [1] 2

chocoks77
05-06-2007, 12:41 PM
Floyd Mayweather gets a "controversial" split decision win over Oscar dela Hoya

john_paul_manahan
05-06-2007, 12:46 PM
rematch?

LAS VEGAS -- Floyd Mayweather Jr. wanted to give Oscar De La Hoya a beating. He had to settle for just getting a win. Mayweather won one of boxing's richest fights ever Saturday night by using his superb defensive skills and superior speed to take a 12-round split decision and win the WBC 154-pound title in his first fight at that weight.

The fight was billed as one that would save boxing, and while it didn't do that, it was an entertaining battle between two proud champions who fought hard from the opening bell through the end of the final round.

The fight ended with the sellout crowd on its feet roaring and two fighters trading punches wildly at the final bell. They then stopped and embraced each other.

Mayweather was favored on one scorecard 116-112 and 115-113 on a second. De La Hoya was ahead 115-113 on the third scorecard. ESPN.com's Dan Rafael had Mayweather winning 116-112, as did The Associated Press.

In the end, Mayweather was simply faster and more slippery in a bout where neither fighter managed to hurt the other and neither went down

taken from http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=2861780

chocoks77
05-06-2007, 12:49 PM
Hindi kasing exciting ng super featherweight division. Division ng dalawang Pacquiao, Morales, Barrera, Marquez, Valero the tricycle driver, Soto at marami pang iba

bigfreeze_bibby
05-06-2007, 08:20 PM
Pakiramdam ko talaga si Dela Hoya nanalo dun. May rematch yan. Parang gagawan ng trilogy na mala Pacquiao-Morales ang dating hehe.

MrGotti
05-06-2007, 08:56 PM
The Golden Boy vs Pretty boy fight was boaring. It was really hyped to be one of the best fights. It was not even in the top fifty most exciting fights. Mukang nagka lutuan pa.

chocoks77
05-06-2007, 10:54 PM
Totoong boring yung fight. Sa sobrang boring sa tv, binasa ko na yung internet reports. Wala man lang slam bang action nung first few rounds. Wala man lang actions ala Hagler-Leonard, Hearns-Leonard, Duran-Leonard, Ali-Frazier, Pacquiao-Morales, etc

5FootCarrot
05-07-2007, 06:56 AM
Dangit, talo Rangers. Oh, well, it was an interesting series and they went farther than they did last year.

yungha
05-07-2007, 08:24 AM
boring fight. mayweather must think he's fighting in the olympics, where it's sufficient to win just by jabbing away. boom boom's fight was reportedly a rumble though so that's a saving grace. i missed the live coverage and the replay - will there be another replay?

oca
05-07-2007, 10:17 AM
dela hoya- mayweather.

Nakatulugan ko from the 4th to the 11th. Nang magising ako, aba ang linis ng mukha ng dalawa! Wala man lang gasgas.

Ano ginawa nila habang natutulog ako?

chocoks77
05-07-2007, 10:31 AM
Nagdepensahan. Nag-ilagan. Pangit, if there is a rematch I hope it gives credence to the title The World Awaits

Mikhail
05-07-2007, 11:18 AM
And as usual boring nanaman si Mayweather. Takbo ng takbo.

At bakit may singit na Rocky Juarez fight?

shyboy
05-07-2007, 12:16 PM
Basta ang tingin ko, asar na asar si De la Hoya. Nagpapasuntok na sa kanya si Mayweather, tinatawan lang ni Mayweather mga suntok niya.

Tama rin yang talo ni De la Hoya para bumaba siya sa pedestal niya. He thinks too highly of himself, sobrang ganid na rin kaya pati si Pacquiao gusto angkinin niya for Golden Boy Promotions. He should give what the public wants to see, allow Barrera or Marquez vs. Pacquiao!

bluebruiser90
05-07-2007, 01:42 PM
It had all the makings of a boring fight. De La Hoya not having the speed to match up and expected to plod with Mayweather not having the hands (battered from past fights) to stand toe to toe and just be content to snipe and jab on the pedal. Mayweather is far from being his old knockout artist self (5 of his last 6 fights being decisions) and he couldn't expect Oscar to make an Arturo Gatti impersonation for his benefit. He just relied on what he had too much for De La hoya: speed. To slip, bob and weave, back pedal and fire counter punches. Boring fight but he still got the win and cashed in on his biggest payday.

MrGotti
05-07-2007, 10:09 PM
I believe that we have a good future with Boom-boom Bautista. He has good footwork and has power in his punches. Malayo mararating ng bata na ito. I hope he continues to workout with Freddie Roach.

bluebruiser90
05-08-2007, 07:18 AM
I just hope they don't rush him. He's only 20 and they are lining him up for a title shot against the guy that recently defeated Gerry Penalosa. ANother two fights with world class contenders will do him good.

Kid Cubao
05-08-2007, 07:45 AM
tama ka bruiser. kahit sa galing ni boom boom bautista ngayon, ibang klase hetong si daniel ponce de leon, ang kampeon ng WBO sa 122-lbs category. HBO sports named his first round, one-punch stoppage of a thai fighter as the knockout of 2006. i'm just glad gerry penalosa lasted the distance against de leon. ganyan talaga, si boom boom na ang susunod na susubok kay daniel ponce de leon. medyo dehado ang bata natin, pero sana makapag-ensayo sya nang mabuti sa ilalim ni freddie roach.

bluebruiser90
05-08-2007, 08:19 AM
Ponce De Leon is one of the best pure punchers in the business.* But he still has his deficiencies.* He has problems with crafty boxers who can avoid his punches, moves well to throw off his timing and can counterpunch.* Much like our Gerry Penalosa who is as heady as they come. Too bad he is a lot older, two weight classes out of his natural fighting weight and too small to really inflict any telling damage on Ponce De Leon that could have made the scoring tilt more to his favor. He did a good accounting of himself and a lot of boxing experts were of the opinion that Ponce de Leon was lucky to escape with the UD.* Boom may be good but he still has a long way to go to match up to the guile of Gerry Penalosa. That's my reason for*wanting him to gain more experience fighting veterans.* Getting him to train with Gery regularly is not a bad idea too.* *If he does fight Ponce De Leon soon, I hope he learns enough from Freddie Roach to defend against the one punch menu and that he has enough power in his two handed attack to put the champ away.

yungha
05-08-2007, 09:27 AM
boom boom has phenomenal handspeed and is as far ahead in terms of skill as any 20-year old there is. think of him as a young pinoy erik morales. he's far better skilled than the slow, plodding de leon but boom doesn't have the one-punch knockout power that de leon has.

i see boom dominating the the first 6 rounds, using his footspeed to dance around the mexican and his combinations to pepper de leon's head with jabs and his body with power shots. de leon will get desperate, seeking that one punch that will knock boom out and salvage his crown. he'll catch the pinoy youngster in the late rounds and stagger him once or twice, but if boom manages to stay on his feet, he'll snatch the crown.

anyway, much as i hate oscar dela hoya and GBP, i'm definitely flying to cebu to watch this boxing world cup.

bluebruiser90
05-08-2007, 03:53 PM
R.I.P.

Diego "Chico" Corrales
(1977-2007)

Former four time two division world champion. Remembered for one of the best fights in boxing history with his come from behind 10th round knockout win over Jose Luis Castillo in May 7, 2005 to unify their lightweight world titles.

lurkinggood
05-08-2007, 04:00 PM
Wow. Too tragic. Rest in Peace, Chico...

christian
05-08-2007, 05:21 PM
Ngk, ano daw nangyari? i was beating him last night sa fight night 3 sa PS2... ako si Pacquiao...

JonarSabilano
05-08-2007, 05:24 PM
Ngk, ano daw nangyari? i was beating him last night sa fight night 3 sa PS2... ako si Pacquiao...

Motorcycle accident daw. May his soul rest in peace.

john_paul_manahan
05-08-2007, 05:51 PM
Diego (Chico) Corrales, who won titles in two weight classes and was involved in one of the most memorable fights in recent times, died Monday in a motorcycle accident, his promoter said. He was 29.

Gary Shaw said Corrales was driving his motorcycle at a high rate of speed when he ran into the back of a car about 15 kilometres west of the Las Vegas Strip on Monday night.

"He's laying there as we speak with a helmet on his head under a sheet," Shaw said. "It appears he was thrown a great distance."

Shaw said Corrales, whose career had faltered in recent fights, had recently bought a racing motorcycle, which he was apparently riding at the time he was killed.

"He fought recklessly and he lived recklessly," Shaw said. "That was his style."

Las Vegas police spokesman Jose Montoya said the victim in the accident was wearing a helmet, and it was not known if drugs or alcohol was involved.

"No tests have been done. We're still investigating," Montoya said.

2 years ago today, it was his fight against Jose Luis Castillo... one of the best fights of that year...

Gone too soon...

http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/story.html?id=b3de4ade-e716-4617-9963-fb4a276c63ff&k=34542

mangtsito
05-08-2007, 06:03 PM
Natawa ako sa trunks ni Mayweather. Colors ng Mexican flag. ;D

MonL
05-08-2007, 06:38 PM
Diego (Chico) Corrales, who won titles in two weight classes and was involved in one of the most memorable fights in recent times, died Monday in a motorcycle accident, his promoter said. He was 29.

Gary Shaw said Corrales was driving his motorcycle at a high rate of speed when he ran into the back of a car about 15 kilometres west of the Las Vegas Strip on Monday night.

"He's laying there as we speak with a helmet on his head under a sheet," Shaw said. "It appears he was thrown a great distance."

Shaw said Corrales, whose career had faltered in recent fights, had recently bought a racing motorcycle, which he was apparently riding at the time he was killed.

"He fought recklessly and he lived recklessly," Shaw said. "That was his style."

Las Vegas police spokesman Jose Montoya said the victim in the accident was wearing a helmet, and it was not known if drugs or alcohol was involved.

"No tests have been done. We're still investigating," Montoya said.

2 years ago today, it was his fight against Jose Luis Castillo... one of the best fights of that year...

Gone too soon...

http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/story.html?id=b3de4ade-e716-4617-9963-fb4a276c63ff&k=34542

I am also reminded of the late, great WBC Featherweight Champion Salvador Sanchez. Power and skill all in one, and was one of the more respected fighters of the 70s. Brutally disposed of one of the feared brawlers of that time, Wilfredo "Bazooka" Gomez. But what I remember about him was that he had a huge chest, and he had larger than average lungs. He was able to fully recover well before the one minute breaks in between rounds were over, and he would continue the fight fresh and well rested. much to the misfortune of his opponents.

He died in a car accident some time after the Gomez fight, smashing his Porsche 928 on his way home.

LION
05-08-2007, 06:53 PM
Ah, Salvador Sanchez. I grew up as a young kid (when Monl was already in college) idolizing this great boxer. He was invincible and unstoppable. Until now, I consider him as one of the greatest ever pound for pound. I can vividly recall him standing on top of the ring with his trademark Indian headgear. I really felt bad when he died because he had the boxing world in his hands. Sayang, he died young. He could have accomplished more.

I agree with Monl's description of Sanchez. If I were to describe the prototypical boxer, I'd just mention the name Salvador Sanchez.

shyboy
05-08-2007, 11:17 PM
boom boom has phenomenal handspeed and is as far ahead in terms of skill as any 20-year old there is.

I think Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. is the craftiest 20 year old of them all.

Kid Cubao
05-09-2007, 05:40 AM
Ah, Salvador Sanchez. I grew up as a young kid (when Monl was already in college) idolizing this great boxer. He was invincible and unstoppable. Until now, I consider him as one of the greatest ever pound for pound. I can vividly recall him standing on top of the ring with his trademark Indian headgear. I really felt bad when he died because he had the boxing world in his hands. Sayang, he died young. He could have accomplished more.

I agree with Monl's description of Sanchez. If I were to describe the prototypical boxer, I'd just mention the name Salvador Sanchez.

for me, salvador sanchez was the greatest featherweight ever. i was riding a love bus with my classmates taking us back to ateneo high school when i bought a tabloid that headlined his death in a car accident. whoa, ganun lang pala ka-ikli ang buhay, isang iglap lang, babay ka na sa mundo.

he was the greatest featherweight for me because he fought all the great ones during the time and beat them all: rocky lockridge, bazooka gomez, azumah nelson, and danny "little red" lopez. LION, actually pareho sila ni little red na pumapaosk ng ring na may headgear, if i recall correctly. the sanchez-lopez encounters were as memorable as the pacquaio-morales trilogy for today's fans for their drama and unrelenting action.

for me, what made him all the more remarkable was that he seemed impervious to physical pain, particularly his granite chin. i'd seen him take direct blows to the head that could have felled a tree, but he took them like they were just glancing blows. never mind his body, lalong wa-epek. pinakahirap sya kina azumah nelson at bazooka gomez, but he conquered them all and reigned supreme at the 126-lb division until Fate had other plans for him.

bluebruiser90
05-09-2007, 09:02 AM
He's at least No. 2 in the all time fetherweight list. Only the legendary Willie Pep can lay claim to the all time great featherweight ahead of Sanchez. Again, Sanchez was only 23 when he died and could have ended his career as probably the best ever boxer in more than one division.

WampumTribe
05-09-2007, 06:20 PM
Salvador Sanchez stole some of the limelight during the Sugar Ray-Era.

What made him so incredible was how he almost effortlessly beat the crap out of his opponents, including future hall of famers Danny "Little Red" Lopez, Wilfredo Gomez and 3-time champion Azumah Nelson. He looked practically unbruised in his fights with Lopez and Gomez.

At a time when the Heavyweight Division was at its most boring (until today, that is) with Larry Holmes as the champion, Sanchez, Alexis Arguello and of course, Leonard and Hearns, gave the lighter divisions the popularity it deserved.

john_paul_manahan
05-09-2007, 06:29 PM
Natawa ako sa trunks ni Mayweather.* Colors ng Mexican flag.* ;D

maybe because it was Cinco De Mayo...

WampumTribe
05-09-2007, 07:09 PM
The Golden Boy vs Pretty boy fight was boaring. It was really hyped to be one of the best fights. It was not even in the top fifty most exciting fights. Mukang nagka lutuan pa.

Totoong boring yung fight. Sa sobrang boring sa tv, binasa ko na yung internet reports. Wala man lang slam bang action nung first few rounds. Wala man lang actions ala Hagler-Leonard, Hearns-Leonard, Duran-Leonard, Ali-Frazier, Pacquiao-Morales, etc

Here's my personal antidote to boring bouts:

After a mind-numbingly disappointing fight, I always play something I downloaded from Limewire; the Hagler vs. Hearns rumble. It's been called "three of the most brutal rounds of boxing." No matter how may times I've seen it, I always agree.

I keep the mpg file in my Mac and have burned several disc copies so that three years from now – when my son turns four – we can watch it together. While my wife is away of course.

Also have "The Princess Bride," "A Little Princess" (1995 remake by Alfonso Cuarón) and "When Harry Met Sally" para naman sa aking darlingest dearest daughter, to be viewed during her appropriate film appreciation age-level. But that's another story.

MonL
05-09-2007, 07:49 PM
At a time when the Heavyweight Division was at its most boring (until today, that is) with Larry Holmes as the champion, Sanchez, Alexis Arguello and of course, Leonard and Hearns, gave the lighter divisions the popularity it deserved.

I liked this fighter they called "The Explosive Thin Man" who lorded it over the featherweight, Junior Lightweight and the Lightweight divisions then. I still recall vividly his fights with Hawaii based Filipino Andy Ganigan and his demolition of Ray "Boom-Boom" Mancini at a time when bouts lasted fifteen rounds. He was methodical and crisp with his punches, but had trouble against unpredictable figthers. He was finally pounded (twice) by drug-troubled but exciting Junior Welterweight buzz-saw Aaron Pryor, who blasted him into retirement. It was also a troubled time for his native Nicaragua,as the Sandinistas overthrew the unpopular Anastacio Somoza regime. Arguello lost all his wealth in his native land through confiscation, and he reportedly even went back as a guerilla fighter.

Boom-Boom Mancini, though was an exciting fighter in his time, but was indirectly responsible for the 12-round bouts we have today as he brutally pounded Korean boxer Kim-Duk-Koo in the fourteenth round of a Lightweight title fight in the late 70s. Kim was knocked out, later fell into a coma and died soon afterward. His death triggered a clamor for shortened title bouts from 15 to 12 rounds, though ring deaths still occurred later on.*

yungha
05-15-2007, 11:41 AM
this thread is for all hardcore fans of the sweet science - amateur boxing, pro boxing, international boxing scence, boxing what-ifs, pinoy boxing scene. let it be known that pinoy boxing is much more than manny pacquiao and that pinoy boxing has a rich, glorious and colorful heritage. hope we can talk about that, and much more, in this thread.

speaking of boxing fans, when did the likes of jennifer lopez and jack nicholson start watching boxing fights (ringside seats, oscar-floyd)? they should give those seats to real boxing fans, those who really appreciate the sport.

any good fights coming up?

john_paul_manahan
05-16-2007, 07:02 PM
may 28 if i am correct is the booby pacquiao fight.

5FootCarrot
05-17-2007, 07:41 AM
may 28 if i am correct is the booby pacquiao fight.
And who is sponsoring? Victoria's Secret? ;D

I have a question - why is boxing called the sweet science? I'm not saying it's a misnomer, I'm just wondering if there's an interesting story behind the expression :)

mangtsito
05-17-2007, 10:22 AM
^ Probably the same way that the misnomer "beautiful game" applies to football.

yungha
05-17-2007, 11:16 AM
this is a nice read on the etymology of the phrase sweet science - joe-liebling-sweet-science (http://www.thesweetscience.com/boxing-article/4532/joe-liebling-sweet-science/).

to me, boxing is similar to chess - each competitor has its strengths and weaknesses, each has its own tendencies and inclinations, you probe for weaknesses, you exploit your strengths. my favorite boxers are those who are known to be able to adjust mid-fight, those who study the opponent and can make the necessary changes in their fight plans in the middle of a fight. brawlers are exciting to watch at first but it gets cumbersome watching strong but dumb fighters keep rushing in without an intelligent fight plan.

pacman used to be a brawler but he's slowly evolved into a more complete fighter. he's now one of the smartest fighters in the game. coupled with that he hasn't lost his strength and speed to age yet, he's one of the deadliest fighters at present.

yungha
05-17-2007, 11:23 AM
ESPN.com's top 50 greatest fighters of all time. take note of numbers 43 and 49. if they're in the top 50, where does that leave the guy the who KO's and TKO'd these guys into submission?

1. Sugar Ray Robinson
2. Muhammad Ali
3. Henry Armstrong
4. Joe Louis
5. Willie Pep
6. Roberto Duran
7. Benny Leonard
8. Jack Johnson
9. Jack Dempsey
10. Sam Langford
11. Joe Gans
12. Sugar Ray Leonard
13. Harry Greb
14. Rocky Marciano
15. Jimmy Wilde
16. Gene Tunney
17. Mickey Walker
19. Stanley Ketchel
20. George Foreman
21. Tony Canzoneri
22. Barney Ross
23. Jimmy McLarnin
24. Julio Cesar Chavez
25. Marcel Cerdan
26. Joe Frazier
27. Ezzard Charles
18. Archie Moore
28. Jake LaMotta
29. Sandy Saddler
30. Terry McGovern
31. Billy Conn
32. Jose Napoles
33. Ruben Olivares
34. Emile Griffith
35. Marvin Hagler
36. Eder Jofre
37. Thomas Hearns
38. Larry Holmes
39. Oscar De La Hoya
40. Evander Holyfield
41. Ted "Kid" Lewis
42. Alexis Arguello
43. Marco Antonio Barrera
44. Pernell Whitaker
45. Carlos Monzon
46. Roy Jones Jr.
47. Bernard Hopkins
48. Floyd Mayweather Jr.
49. Erik Morales
50. Mike Tyson

BigBlue
05-23-2007, 02:47 PM
Foreman claims his water was drugged in loss to Ali (http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakingnews/sports/view_article.php?article_id=67497)

Agence France-Presse
Last updated 09:13am (Mla time) 05/23/2007

NEW YORK -- Former world heavyweight boxing champion George Foreman claims his water was drugged before he lost to Muhammad Ali in their 1974 "Rumble in the Jungle" at Zaire in his new book.

Foreman told ESPN on Tuesday that he was certain he was drugged because his water had a medicine-like taste, as if someone had spiked it to weaken him before the epic fight, which he lost to Ali by eighth-round knockout.

"I said, 'This water tastes like it has medicine in it,'" Foreman said he told trainer Dick Sadler before the fight. Sadler assured him it was fine, Foreman claimed.

"I know there was medicine in that water. I'll never forget that.

"There was even worse medicine waiting in that ring - Muhammad Ali."

Foreman pounded Ali in early rounds but tired and was vulnerable when Ali counterattacked, the infamous "Rope A Dope" strategy.

Foreman said he has made the drugging claim before but Foreman's promotion of the book has pushed the topic into the limelight once more even as he tries to uphold the glory of Ali's victory while adding to the drama of his own tale.

"It wasn't a fixed fight. I got beat fair and square," Foreman said.

But Foreman also said it took him years to recover from the fight and that he was lucky not to have died.

"It was years before I got my health back together after that fight," said Foreman. "It wasn't doctors who put something in my water. They didn't have PhDs. I'm lucky I'm still alive."

Foreman returned from retirement to reclaim the heavyweight throne in 1994, becoming at age 45 the oldest man to hold the coveted crown.

john_paul_manahan
05-23-2007, 06:36 PM
oops... the bobby pacquiao fight is june 9 vs humberto soto

undercard of judah-cotto at MSG

yungha
05-24-2007, 02:38 PM
this has to be the funniest joke i've heard all year. floyd mayweather, in an interview with boxingtalk's brad cooney, stated that in a fight between him and manny at 130 pounds, he'd knock out manny inside 3 rounds.

hey floyd, you don't knock people out by jabbing then running away.

floyd's mighty fast, though. manny will be hard-pressed to catch him.

bluebruiser90
05-24-2007, 02:55 PM
Delusional yang si Floyd. Kala niya pagbaba niya sa 130lbs, dala niya yung lakas niya ngayon.

Bennie Bangag
05-24-2007, 03:17 PM
baka kasi 130 lbs na sya ngayon, kaya parang hinahangin na yung loob ng ulo nya.

MonL
05-24-2007, 03:20 PM
this has to be the funniest joke i've heard all year. floyd mayweather, in an interview with boxingtalk's brad cooney, stated that in a fight between him and manny at 130 pounds, he'd knock out manny inside 3 rounds.

hey floyd, you don't knock people out by jabbing then running away.

floyd's mighty fast, though. manny will be hard-pressed to catch him.

If only his fists were as fast as his mouth, he may have a chance. Kaya lang, his feet are faster. :P

Gil_Andrews
05-25-2007, 10:07 PM

I liked this fighter they called "The Explosive Thin Man" who lorded it over the featherweight, Junior Lightweight and the Lightweight divisions then. I still recall vividly his fights with Hawaii based Filipino Andy Ganigan and his demolition of Ray "Boom-Boom" Mancini at a time when bouts lasted fifteen rounds. He was methodical and crisp with his punches, but had trouble against unpredictable figthers. He was finally pounded (twice) by drug-troubled but exciting Junior Welterweight buzz-saw Aaron Pryor, who blasted him into retirement. It was also a troubled time for his native Nicaragua,as the Sandinistas overthrew the unpopular Anastacio Somoza regime. Arguello lost all his wealth in his native land through confiscation, and he reportedly even went back as a guerilla fighter.

Boom-Boom Mancini, though was an exciting fighter in his time, but was indirectly responsible for the 12-round bouts we have today as he brutally pounded Korean boxer Kim-Duk-Koo in the fourteenth round of a Lightweight title fight in the late 70s. Kim was knocked out, later fell into a coma and died soon afterward. His death triggered a clamor for shortened title bouts from 15 to 12 rounds, though ring deaths still occurred later on.*

Aaron "The Hawk" Pryor was supposed to have a very exciting career of boxing ahead of him except that he was alcoholic. Sugar Shane Mosley's style is actually a mirror of Pryor's style.

Gil_Andrews
05-25-2007, 10:14 PM
I think Boom Boom Bautista should still get more seasoned and fight one more opponent before facing Daniel Ponce de Leon. Boom Boom's defense is still lacking and since de Leon is the type of fighter that throws multitude of hard punches in a giffy, Boom Boom will surely be in trouble. His last opponent (Sergio Medina) also had a similar style and look what happened? He got tagged in one of the middle rounds and got knocked down. Good thing this Bautista's got a heart of a Lion. De Leon is a much better and stronger fighter than Medina. He better prepare long and hard for that fight.

WampumTribe
05-26-2007, 12:31 AM
Aaron "The Hawk" Pryor was supposed to have a very exciting career of boxing ahead of him except that he was alcoholic. Sugar Shane Mosley's style is actually a mirror of Pryor's style.

And a crack addict! Arguello once said, "He may have beat me, but I won in life," referring to Pryor's addictions. Tapos, kinarma si Arguello; he became a drug addict himself later on.

But now, after winning their battles against drugs and alcohol, the two are great friends. Pryor, now a preacher, even flew all the way to Nicaragua to help Arguello's mayoral candidacy.

Gallant warriors, these two. Unlike Frazier who, commenting on Ali's deteriorating state, snickered, "Ha-ha, I did that to him."

yungha
05-26-2007, 10:12 AM
pacman officially withdrew from negotiating a rematch with WBC superfeatherweight champ juan manuel marquez. this make JMM free to choose his next challenger, most probably marco antonio barrera.

ok na rin for pacman. if there's any fighter i feel he should avoid, it's JMM. contra-pelo si JMM kay manny, kumbaga. if manny loses and that can happen, that might be the end of any big fights for money given how he's burned bridges with the all-powerful golden boy promotions.

i hope he goes after WBA champ valero or WBO champ guzman, both knockout artists who both feel they can go toe-to-toe with manny in a slugfest. we all know who'll be the last man standing in a slugfest with manny. once manny gets one of those titles and finally becomes a world champ again, he'll have more leverage negotiating big-money fights. not to mention he'll be the first asian 3-division world champion.

Wang-Bu
06-14-2007, 11:48 AM
May nakakakilala ba kay ROMAN GREENBERG?

Dati siyang na-feature as the "Hebrew Hammer" ng Esquire magazine bandang 2003 yata, at nasabi ni Al Dundee na "He's the fastest heavyweight I've seen since Muhammad Ali."

Ano na kayang nangyari sa kanya?

yungha
06-30-2007, 05:18 PM
BREAKING NEWS!

pacman's next fight will be against legendery mexican warrior marco antonio barrera, October 6, 2007 at the 12,000-seat Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.

go manny!

source: fightnews.com

yungha
07-08-2007, 08:04 AM
BREAKING NEWS! WE HAVE A NEW WORLD CHAMPION!

finally, another pinoy wears a world boxing championship belt. in an awesome display of courage in a hostile arena, florante condes dethroned erstwhile IBP strawweight champ muhammad rachman of indonesia in jakarta.

congrats condes! stay humble, stay disciplined and we hope you have a long reign.

BREAKING NEWS
Condes dethrones Rachman!
By Jeffrey Pamungkas at ringside
Strawweight Florante "The Little Pacquiao" Condes (22-3-1, 20 KOs) has just dethroned IBF champion Muhammad "The Rock Breaker" Rachman (61-6-5, 31 KOs) by split decision on Saturday at the Indoor Tennis Stadium, Jakarta, Indonesia. The bout was an all out war in which Rachman was down twice. The action went back and forth the full twelve rounds. Scores were 117-113 for Rachman and 114-112, 114-112 for the new champion Condes.
Saturday, July 7 2007

yungha
07-08-2007, 07:24 PM
what a day - 2 new world champions in 1 day!

Nonito "The Filipino Flash" Donaire (18-1, 11 KOs) won the IBF and IBO flyweight championships with an explosive fifth round knockout of the previously unbeaten Vic "Raging Bull" Darchinyan (28-1, 22 KOs). Donaire surprisingly outboxed the heavily favored Darchinyan from the get-go and a flush left hook put Darchinyan down for several minutes. Time was 1:38. Donaire avenges the loss of his brother, Glenn, who had his jaw broken by Darchinyan last year.

is this the dawn of a new golden age for pinoy boxing?

WampumTribe
07-15-2007, 11:22 PM
Tinatamad akong mag-Google . . . so, may nakatalo ba kay Teofilo Stevenson? And whatever happened to the-next-Teofilo Stevenson, his protegé Felix Savon (i think that's his name)?

cool_at_heart
07-16-2007, 09:55 PM
The heavyweight division is probably the least watched division nowadays; personally i think klitschko won't even last 4 rounds with either ali, lennox or mike in their prime. Gone are the days of plenty for this division. :'(

Uncle Toots
07-19-2007, 10:22 AM

Nonito "The Filipino Flash" Donaire (18-1, 11 KOs) won the IBF and IBO flyweight championships with an explosive fifth round knockout of the previously unbeaten Vic "Raging Bull" Darchinyan (28-1, 22 KOs). Donaire surprisingly outboxed the heavily favored Darchinyan from the get-go and a flush left hook put Darchinyan down for several minutes. Time was 1:38. Donaire avenges the loss of his brother, Glenn, who had his jaw broken by Darchinyan last year.

i do hope so! filipino fighters are experiencing a renaissance of sorts, and of course this is attributable to the wild success of pacman against all those great mexican fighters. very, very impressed with donaire's victory :)

Tinatamad akong mag-Google . . . so, may nakatalo ba kay Teofilo Stevenson? And whatever happened to the-next-Teofilo Stevenson, his protegé Felix Savon (i think that's his name)?

this great cuban heavyweight is considered among the greatest boxers in olympic history for winning gold in the heavyweight division in munich '72, montreal '76, and moscow '80. he didn't win in los angeles in '84 because the host city's name didn't start with the letter "M."

felix savon retired in 2000 after equalling his mentor's feat of three straight olympic golds in barcelona '92, atlanta '96, and sydney 2000.

bluebruiser90
07-20-2007, 04:19 PM

i do hope so! filipino fighters are experiencing a renaissance of sorts, and of course this is attributable to the wild success of pacman against all those great mexican fighters. very, very impressed with donaire's victory :)

The Donaire boys' coming of age has been long coming. A lot of people don't know that the prelude to the Sydney Olympics saw three Filipinos duking it out for the US Olympic team's light-fly slot.* The Donaire's and another heralded amateur who was then world amateur champion.* *Brian Viloria defeated Glen in the prelims and Nonito in the finals of the US 2000 Olympic Boxing Trials.

this great cuban heavyweight is considered among the greatest boxers in olympic history for winning gold in the heavyweight division in munich '72, montreal '76, and moscow '80. he didn't win in los angeles in '84 because the host city's name didn't start with the letter "M."

felix savon retired in 2000 after equalling his mentor's feat of three straight olympic golds in barcelona '92, atlanta '96, and sydney 2000.

Both Cuban greats could have won 4 straight Olympic gold medals if it weren't for boycotts, Stevenson in '84 and Savon in '88.* Stevenson had 20+ defeats ina* 200+ fight amateur career.* He lost to future world champion Trevor Bobick in the 1971 Pan Am games but avenged the loss in the quarters of the 1972 Olympics heavyweight boxing competition.

Savon would have an equally sterling career with his own sampling of future world champions including a sick knockout of Lamond Brewster in the Pan Am games.* Savon also won 6 world championships (should have been 7 if it weren't for their walk out in 2003).* Even before winning his 3rd olympic gold, Savon has already shown chinks in his armour by losing a national championships finals bout with future olympic champion, Jose Oleander Solis.

yungha
07-22-2007, 12:53 AM
good luck to czar amonsot, who'll be fighting for the wbo lightweight championship against michael katsidis in a few hours. amonsot is a heavy underdog in this fight; but then again so were condes and donaire. amonsot is a flashy, flamboyant albeit oftentimes undisciplined hard hitter. what he lacks in fundamentals, he makes up for in raw power. here's hoping that he gets in a few hard blows to katsidis that might just tip the fight in his favor.

AnthonyServinio
07-23-2007, 12:17 AM
good luck to czar amonsot, who'll be fighting for the wbo lightweight championship against michael katsidis in a few hours. amonsot is a heavy underdog in this fight; but then again so were condes and donaire. amonsot is a flashy, flamboyant albeit oftentimes undisciplined hard hitter. what he lacks in fundamentals, he makes up for in raw power. here's hoping that he gets in a few hard blows to katsidis that might just tip the fight in his favor.

* * *TOO BAD Czar Amonsot lost the unanimous 12-round decision.* The face of Michael Katsidis was really beat up and bloodied while Amonsot's mug was clean.* Amonsot was decked twice in the fight and that tilted the judges' nod in Katsidis favor, who should now think twice about granting Amonsot a rematch!

Posterized
08-12-2007, 12:00 PM
Lupit nung body shot ni Penalosa. Taob talaga yung kalaban.

Sayang yung kay Boom Boom. Gigil kasi e. Bata pa nga.

AnthonyServinio
08-13-2007, 01:53 AM
Lupit nung body shot ni Penalosa. Taob talaga yung kalaban.

Sayang yung kay Boom Boom. Gigil kasi e. Bata pa nga.

* * *Looking back, Rey Bautista should have backtracked after the first knockdown and just aim to finish the round, rest for a minute and come back blazing in the second round.

* * *Anyway, there's nothing we can do.* He is young at 21 and has a lot of bigger fights ahead of him.* His handlers must give him one or two tune-up fights before going for another title shot, hopefully at a more legitimate body like the WBA, WBC or IBF.

* * *But who can complain, THE PHILIPPINES WON THE BOXING WORLD CUP!

yungha
08-13-2007, 03:03 PM
if i may offer some unsolicited advice to gerry, RETIRE NOW! there's no better, more beautiful way to end an illustrious career like he did. he's not as quick nor as fast nor as strong as before but for one magical night, he brought back glimpses of the old warrior.

congrats gerry, we're so proud of you. but at 35, you may think about retiring.

congrats to all the pinoy boxers.

boom-boom, i thought for sure you'd beat ponce. but don't lose hope, i'm sure you'll get another chance.

yungha
08-15-2007, 12:50 AM
* * *But who can complain, THE PHILIPPINES WON THE BOXING WORLD CUP!

let's be realistic, anthony, this so-called boxing world cup is nothing more than a promoter's concoction. by no means did that evening determine the best boxing nation or even the better boxing nation between philippines and mexico. neither country sent its best fighters so the result does not in any way indicate who has the better boxers across the board. let's say we both sent our A Teams in another rp-mexico meet, the matchups might look something like this -

strawweight - florante condes vs omar soto or lorenzo trejo (advantage philippines)
junior flyweight - brian viloria vs ulises solis or hugo cazares or edgar sosa (advantage mexico)
flyweight - nonito donaire vs luis maldonado (advantage philippines)
superflyweight - z gorres vs christian mijares or fernando montiel or jorge arce (advantage mexico)
bantamweight - gerry penalosa vs jhonny gonzales (even)
superbantamweight - boom boom bautista vs israel vazquez or daniel ponce de leon or rafael marquez (advantage mexico)
featherweight - jimrex jaca vs oscar larios or jorge solis (even)
superfeatherweight - manny pacquiao vs juan manuel marquez (advantage philippines)
lightweight - randy suico or czar amonsot vs julio diaz or erik morales (advantage mexico)

above lightweight we don't have any more fighters to offer. but lightweight wnd below, we're competitive.

Howard the Duck
09-08-2007, 06:00 PM
anyone thinks pacman training at cebu is a bad idea?

chocoks77
09-14-2007, 01:20 PM
While Pacman is still in Cebu, how about making Brian Ilad one of his sparring partners? Anybody in favor of this idea? :D :D :D

mighty_lion
10-05-2007, 05:23 PM
Dear Manny Pacquiao,

Hindi ko sure kung nagbabasa ka sa gameface at malamang hindi. Alam kong dala dala mo ang bandera ng Pilipinas sa laban mo sa linggo (sabado sa inyo). Good luck at baon mo ang aming panalangin sa inyo laban. Bigyan mo ng pinakamalakas na suntok si Barerra na tipong mag-reretire na sya at huling laban ka na nya.

Isa lang ang paki-usap ko. Sana wag mong i knock-out si Antonio Barerra in 3 rounds. Bigyan mo naman ng value ang tiket na pinambayad ng mga pinoy sa sinehan at mga pinang pay-per-view ng mga cable subscriber sampu ng mga overseas worker sa kung saan saan sulok ng mundo. Ang mahal ng tiket, 650 ang kuha ko bawat isa. Yun lang po. Paabutin mo naman ng at least 6 rounds.

Lugod na nanalangin sa kaligtasan ni Barerra,
mighty_lion

LION
10-05-2007, 05:32 PM
^ I got 2 Robinsons complimentary tickets. :P

mighty_lion
10-05-2007, 05:41 PM
^ I got 2 Robinsons complimentary tickets.* *:P

Talo ako dyan. ;D Dati kasi sa TV ako nanonoud tapos tinitext ako nung mga kakilala ko kung sino nanalo. >:(

Pero enjoy talaga manoud sa sinehan kesa bahay kahit pay per view pa. Astig yong mga moments na magsisigawan kayong lahat. ;D Lekats yong mga maririnig mo sa loob. Patulogin mo na! P@#$%na mo! Manny, papanguin yong ilong! Para quits kayo! ;D

Ano Fearless forecast nyo?

Ako Pacquiao by 5.

LION
10-05-2007, 05:48 PM
Sabi ni Jawo Pacman in 7. Sige na nga. at least magtatagal ang panonood ko. Magandang bugbugin ulit muna si Barrera tapos surrender ulit. No mas! no mas! ;D

bigfreeze_bibby
10-06-2007, 08:07 AM
Parehas ako kay mighty_lion, Pacman in five din ako. May mga bars or restos kaya na magpapalabas ng laban around Araneta area?

mighty_lion
10-06-2007, 01:05 PM
Parehas ako kay mighty_lion, Pacman in five din ako.* May mga bars or restos kaya na magpapalabas ng laban around Araneta area?

NSG Greenbelt nakita ko kagabi na me karatula na mag-aair sila ng live. Malayo nga lang sa Araneta. ;D

chocoks77
10-06-2007, 02:28 PM
Parang may tulog si Pacman dito. He weighed 130lbs at the official weigh-in. AFAIK, he came in at 128lbs in his last 3 outings at the super featherweight class. Mukhang hindi natancha mabuti ni Pacman ang oras niya sa gym at sa GMa.

mighty_lion
10-06-2007, 08:09 PM
Tubig lang yan. ;D

Speaking of weights ang hindi ko maintindihan eh magweweigh-in sila the day after kung nandoon sa required weight tapos kinaumagahan sa laban na nila 5+ lbs ang binibigat ng boxers dahil kumarga ng tubig at kumain ng sandamakmak after ng weigh in. ??? Naalala ko minsa si Pacquiao nung weigh in 129 lbs, pero nung kinaumagahan nung laban na nila nasa 142 lbs na sya. Di ba parang na-defeit din yong purpose ng weigh in?

cub
10-07-2007, 12:51 PM
panalo si manny pacquiao. decision.

joelex
10-07-2007, 02:32 PM
si chris tiu ba yung nakita kong nasa pacquiao-barrera na naka Philippines jacket? tama ba ang naririnig kong sasabak na siya sa showbiz (GMA-7) ?

joelex
10-07-2007, 02:36 PM
I was surprised that manny won unanimously and 2 judges had it at 118-109. Barrera looked stable and fresh all throughout connecting with his jabs and counterpunches while manny's combinations were mostly misfiring. At least i thought at most it couldve been a draw or pacquiao by a small margin

mighty_lion
10-07-2007, 02:48 PM
si chris tiu ba yung nakita kong nasa pacquiao-barrera na naka Philippines jacket? tama ba ang naririnig kong sasabak na siya sa showbiz (GMA-7) ?

Yes.

Kid Cubao
10-07-2007, 05:49 PM
joelex, manny got the unanimous decision because he won more rounds (can't get any clearer than that under the new rules) and landed more telling shots to the face and body. plus he was gifted with a one-point deduction on marco antonio barrera after the mexican landed a traydor bolo punch immediately right after the break in the 10th (teka, 11th pala. KC). as to the fight itself, it was apparent that MAB trained not to win by knockout, but rather to last the distance and optimistically hope to outpoint the pacman. in contrast, manny trained to knock MAB out the moment any opening arises. the irony is that manny eventually won by outlasting barrera.

the controversy here is not the one-point deduction on barrera, but why barrera had to resort to a bush league tactic late in the fight that cost him very dearly. two words: fatigue and frustration.

edited to add: hindi pala 10th, kundi 11th round yung traydor blow ni barrera.

aircanda
10-13-2007, 04:10 AM
valerio daw next opponent ni pacman...

easter
10-13-2007, 07:11 AM
I was surprised that manny won unanimously and 2 judges had it at 118-109. Barrera looked stable and fresh all throughout connecting with his jabs and counterpunches while manny's combinations were mostly misfiring. At least i thought at most it couldve been a draw or pacquiao by a small margin

If you watch the HBO coverage you will get this impression. Parang ginawa nilang tribute for Barrera ang laban na ito.

It is funny that the coverage of Quinito and Chino Trinidad was actually more objective although kahit papano may bias pa rin. But the assessment of who is doing well and who is dominating is pretty much on target unlike the HBO coverage.

Kid Cubao
10-13-2007, 12:38 PM
easter, they post the score at the end of each round. that should give you a clear idea which fighter won each round and by how much. the HBO analysts can yakk all they want about barrera's greatness for all i care, but they don't judge the fight ;D

AnthonyServinio
10-14-2007, 01:17 PM
SULTAN IBRAGIMOV vs. EVANDER HOLYFIELD
for the WBO Heavyweight Championship

* * *. . . now this one was one really BORING fight!* *>:(

* * *I'm not surprised that the Heavyweight Division has lost its luster and the attention (and big bucks) are now invested in the lower weight classes.

Anyway, congratulations to Ibragimov for retaining his crown via a 12-round unanimous decision.

mighty_lion
10-14-2007, 01:23 PM
joelex, manny got the unanimous decision because he won more rounds (can't get any clearer than that under the new rules) and landed more telling shots to the face and body. plus he was gifted with a one-point deduction on marco antonio barrera after the mexican landed a traydor bolo punch immediately right after the break in the 10th (teka, 11th pala. KC). as to the fight itself, it was apparent that MAB trained not to win by knockout, but rather to last the distance and optimistically hope to outpoint the pacman. in contrast, manny trained to knock MAB out the moment any opening arises. the irony is that manny eventually won by outlasting barrera.

the controversy here is not the one-point deduction on barrera, but why barrera had to resort to a bush league tactic late in the fight that cost him very dearly. two words: fatigue and frustration.

edited to add: hindi pala 10th, kundi 11th round yung traydor blow ni barrera.

I actually see it accidental na sinadya ng konti. Pero kudos to Pacman. Pwede ka na mag-artista! Ang dami mong suntok na sinalong ganyan dati me nalalaman ka pang pahawak-hawak ka pa sa lubid ngayon. ;D

mighty_lion
10-14-2007, 01:24 PM
SULTAN IBRAGIMOV vs. EVANDER HOLYFIELD
for the WBO Heavyweight Championship

* * *. . . now this one was one really BORING fight!* *>:(

* * *I'm not surprised that the Heavyweight Division has lost its luster and the attention (and big bucks) are now invested in the lower weight classes.

* * *Anyway, congratulations to Ibragimov for retaining his crown via a 12-round unanimous decision.

Matagal na kasing walang knock-out artist sa Heavyweight.

yungha
10-15-2007, 06:18 PM
pacquiao's gonna need a good lawyer cos he's going to commit murder next february. ang yabang nung valero, eh puro banban naman ang nakalaban niya.

mighty_lion
10-16-2007, 07:39 AM
pacquiao's gonna need a good lawyer cos he's going to commit murder next february. ang yabang nung valero, eh puro banban naman ang nakalaban niya.

Sa entrance ni Pacman dapat yong mga alalay nya me dala-dalang kabaong. ;D

Nakakatawa din kasi mag-asaran ang mga boxers. Naalala ko minsan bago sa laban ni Pacquiao kay Barerra, sabi ni Roach: "Magdala na ng baril sa ring si Barerra." ;D

MonL
10-17-2007, 11:26 PM

He might wind up with the same fate as Argentinian Alberto(?) Rios who had a fearsome record and reputation as a KO artist in the featherweights until he met Luisito Espinosa in that infamous Koronaldal fight in the 90s.

chocoks77
11-23-2007, 11:03 AM
Is Pacquiao afraid of Juan Manuel Marquez? Mukhang ganoon ang situasyon dahil parang mas gusto pa niyang labanan ang Diaz samantalang meron silang score to settle ni JuanMa

yungha
11-23-2007, 11:10 AM
considering manny's present work ethic, he's wise to avoid jmm. jmm's smart, wily, experienced, skillful and superbly conditioned. while a well-trained manny will knock jmm out, a distracted, half-trained, half-hearted manny will lose convincingly to jmm by decision.

chocoks77
11-23-2007, 11:27 AM
He needs to focus on his training and his bout if it is a world championship fight whether it be JMM and whoever-Diaz. I was trying to look into MP's miond why he'd choose the lightweight champion over the superfeatherweight when he has not yet boxed/fought in the lightweight division. Wala lang i feel he is really ducking from JMM

yungha
11-23-2007, 04:20 PM
pac wants to challenge wbc lightweight champ david diaz, who i think he can beat. diaz is a one-trick pony without really the requisite skill or boxing sense to outfight the elite fighters. manny might not be able to knock him out but manny's matured enough the past few years to be able to outbox a brawler like diaz. if he beats diaz, he'll be a legit 3-division world champion, the 1st asian to achieve such a feat.

but why not challenge for the lightweight title first? win one of the lightweight titles first, not necessarily jmm's. the other champs - fana, valero, guzman - will just be fodder even for a poorly-trained pacman. he can win one title, his 3rd, legitimizing himself as one of the all-time greats, then move up to lightweight and challenge diaz in an attempt to win a 4th division title. that alone will surely put his name alongside the legends. but then again manny, can fight one last fight at 140 and challenge pretty boy floyd mayweather to determine who truly is the pound-for-pound greatest fighter in the world. that would surely be a fight for the ages.

problem is, manny's critics are correct in observing that he's more concerned with money than with cementing his legacy. sayang.

BLUE HORSE
11-24-2007, 01:28 AM
Can't blame Manny for going after the money. Boxers only have a short window of opportunity to make dough and they should milk it to the fullest. Remember, Manny made a lot of financial mistakes and he must find the money to take care of his financial obligations in and out of boxing.

yungha
11-26-2007, 01:50 PM
^ i don't begrudge him of his career choices either. but he'll just have to accept that if he doesn't win at least one more title, he won't be remembered as one of the all-time greats.

chocoks77
12-13-2007, 10:07 PM
Were our SEA Games boxers right in their actions in their Gold Medal matches with the siamese pugilists?

aircanda
12-15-2007, 04:09 PM
^^ basta ako sir.. mapamali.. mapatama... suportado ko yang mga boxer naten.. halatang halatang dinaya tayo sa SEA Games.. akalain mo bang magkapuntos yung Thai habang break..

yungha
12-17-2007, 03:45 PM
mali tayo because instead of trying to improve our boxing program, we end up blaming the establishment for our losses. instead of improving our training, conditioning and fundamentals, we end up blaming the refs. we end up blaming everyone but ourselves.

the ABAP is supposedly clamoring for change but if there's anything that should change, it's the leadership. the lopezes should go. we have a world-class talent pool yet all the lopezes can show in over 20 years of management and 6 olympics is a haul of 2 bronzes and 1 silver. we have private and public sector support yet our boxers are sent to tournaments ill-trained, ill-prepared, ill-equipped and relying on little more than sheer guts. in the last asian games, violito payla wore old, heavy leather boots that already had holes near the toeline. it's a miracle of pinoy guts and spirit that he plowed through the rest of the field and won the gold. in the last world boxing championships in chicago, again some of our boxers didn't have proper footwear and 3 boxers had to share one set of uniforms. what the hell's happening? with our huge talent pool and our natural grace, agility and strength, we should be regular olympic gold medal winners. our boxers go into battle full of fire, patriotism, patay kung patay mentality, yet utterly lacking in science and technique.

dami nating nasayang. arlan and danilo lerio both should have at least won silvers in sydney 2000. i think payla, joan tipon and genebert basadre are good enough to win golds next year in beijing - if trained and handled properly. hope we don't blunder again and waste these guys' talents.

it's so frustrating that before, thailand wasn't worthy to carry our fighters' gym bags yet in the past 3 olympics, they've won 2 or 3 golds, a silver and a handful of bronzes. ang layo na natin.

yungha
01-28-2008, 08:37 PM
payla's down, basadre's down, fiel's down, tacuyan's down, tipon's still in the running but doesn't look impressive.

after all the drama of the last SEA Games when we made all sorts of noise about alleged biased officiating and widespread, here we are once again, on the verge of getting wiped out, our fighters not just losing but losing badly. i find it easier to accept our basketball defeats because we really don't have the height and the size. but boxing - we have some of the riches talent pools not just in asia but in the world. it should be us, not the thais, winning olympic boxing medals. we should be challenging the cubans for superiority in the lower weight divisions. problem is, the lopezes don't hold themelves accountable for our debacles. everytime we lose it's either we were cheated or the match was rigged or the weights were tampered or anwar chowdry has an axe to grind against us.

if we begin to accept that our boxers, though talented, are poorly trained and lack in science, technique and intelligent tactics, maybe we'll start winning olympic medals again. maybe talents like tipon and basadre won't be wasted. maybe it's time for the lopezes to step down.

mighty_lion
03-03-2008, 05:51 PM
Pacman vs. Marquez.

Pacman in 5. ;D

yungha
03-06-2008, 12:46 AM
^ pwede. or jmm may just run away and try to survive 12 rounds. but jmm will hit the canvas at least once. at 130 pounds and maybe up to 135, no one can stand the power of a well-trained, well-conditioned pacman. i was a bit worried that pac might have difficulty making weight but after reading today that he's at 133 with 10 days before the fight, i think he'll easily make 130.

slightly OT - i have an uneasy feeling that between now and march 15, the opposition will make major moves to oust GMA, major as in a coup or a military takeover. they have to make their move by then because by march 16, everyone will be in a bright mood, everyone will be talking about nothing but the fight and this scandal will be all but forgotten. they need to strike now or their momentum will snap. i hope it's just a stupid hunch on my part and sana, wala nang gulo.

gameface_one
03-06-2008, 10:46 PM
Which theater or establishment offers the best value for money ticket to watch the JMM vs Pacman fight on Mar. 16?

john_paul_manahan
03-08-2008, 04:42 AM
here in tiendesitas it is 500pesos with popcorn and drink.

abcdef
03-08-2008, 07:46 PM
Any thing cheaper than 500? Para kasing di na good deal yung 500. hehehe!

chocoks77
03-10-2008, 10:13 AM
Dito sa davao, may mga establishments and restos na nag ooffer ng Unfinished Business for 300 plus buffet lunch.

gameface_one
03-12-2008, 11:41 AM
Meron ba sa Metrowalk na resto na lang?

abcdef
03-12-2008, 03:56 PM
From my "research" Market place mandaluyong offers the fight at 400php while Starmall is at 450, Then SM cinemas and Robinsons 500-550 with a Special offer of HOTDOG SANDWICH plus Coffee or Softdrinks. ;D :D

JonarSabilano
03-12-2008, 04:52 PM
From my "research" Market place mandaluyong offers the fight at 400php while Starmall is at 450, Then SM cinemas and Robinsons 500-550 with a Special offer of HOTDOG SANDWICH plus Coffee or Softdrinks. ;D :D

Sa bahay na lang. Tapos may beer. Solb.

yungha
03-12-2008, 11:23 PM
if i were a betting man, i'd bet p1000 on marquez. that way, however way the fight ends, i'm happy.

pio_valenz
03-14-2008, 08:32 PM

Yup, it's 550 in Robinsons. Just bought my ticket at Robinsons Metro East. 550 with free hotdog combo. It's reserved seating, and since I bought my ticket so close to Sunday, the best seat I could get was front row along the center aisle.

I think in Sta. Lucia it's a little cheaper.

john_paul_manahan
03-15-2008, 05:28 AM
does marquinton sell tix?

yungha
03-15-2008, 11:59 AM
i used to watch fights at theaters but not i prefer lower-key establishments like restos and bars. mas comfortable kasi. outback steakhouse offers p550 per head and that includes an appetizer and a drink. restos in greenbelt like NSG offer similar deals. check out the different KTV establishments (the wholesome ones, not the gentleman's clubs ;) ) too. we reserved a ktv room in greenhills, P650 per head, inclusive of food and cold drinks including beer.

anyway, here's to manny. good luck, champ!

yungha
03-15-2008, 12:19 PM
manny makes weight! manny officially weighed in at 129, jmm at 130.

compatriot diosdado "prince" gabi, though, who will mexican face abner mares in an NABF bantamweight title bout, must lose 1.5 pounds to make the 118 pound weight limit.

Kid Cubao
03-15-2008, 12:47 PM
^^ kaya yan, water weight lang yang 1.5 pounds. either he sweats it out, or he drinks cup after cup of coffee so he makes frequent trips to the bathroom.

bchoter
03-16-2008, 12:40 PM
^ Unfortunately, hindli lang water wight pala. He fails to make it and was obviously sapped by his attempt to lose weight. Gabi lost :(.

But PacMan wins via split decision!

batangueño
03-16-2008, 01:08 PM
Kawawang Marquez. Mukhang "na-magic" ang panalo na dapat ay sa kanya. >:(

stonecold316
03-16-2008, 01:31 PM
RP's Gabi loses to Mexico's Mares in 2nd-round TKO
03/16/2008 | 10:03 AM

Bantamweight Filipino boxer Diosado Gabi lost to Mexico's Abner Mares in a technical knockout in the second round on the undercard of the rematch between Manny Pacquio and Juan Manuel Marquez at the Mandalay Bay Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Mares only spent 49 seconds in defeating Gabi with vicious blows, which prompted referee Jay Nady to stop the match.

Earlier, Filipino featherweight boxer Michael Farenas defeated Mexican slugger Baudel Cardenas.

The report said the fight only lasted up to three rounds because Baudel could no longer regain strength to defend himself against Farenas, even after Baudel was given five minutes to recover. The referee declared a technical knockout after the last round.

DzBB said Baudel suffered two low blows during the second round, and another two during the third round, prompting the referee to halt the fight, crediting Farenas with the TKO at the 2:40 mark. - GMANews.TV

stonecold316
03-16-2008, 01:31 PM
Mike Tyson among personalities in Pacquio-Marquez bout
03/16/2008 | 10:35 AM

Retired American boxer Michael Gerard "Mike" Tyson was among the personalities who went to the Mandalay Bay Hotel and Casino in Las, Vegas, Nevada on Sunday (Saturday in the US) to watch the rematch between Filipino champ Manny Pacquiao and Mexican slugger Juan Manuel Marquez.

Tyson, who became controversial for his questionable behavior in and out of the ring, is the youngest boxer who won in the world heavyweight title.

He was seen on television during the undercard match between World Boxing Organization featherweight champ Steven Luevano (34-1, 15 KOs) of La Puente, California and Terdsak Jandaeng (29-2, 19 KOs) of Chumporn, Thailand.

Last October, Luevano was able to defend his title, after winning in a dominant unanimous decision in his bout against Antonio Davis (24-2, 12 KOs).

Luevano's March 15 fight with Jandaeng is another mandatory bout to defend his title. - GMANews.TV

stonecold316
03-16-2008, 01:33 PM
Marquez has no regrets about difficult odyssey between bouts with Pacquiao
03/16/2008 | 11:00 AM

LAS VEGAS - Juan Manuel Marquez's path to a rematch with MannyPacquiao stretched from Indonesia to the side of a Mexican volcano, stopping at two-bit fights and disappointing decisions before winding back to Las Vegas.

Nearly four years later, Marquez still wouldn't change a thing about his strange odyssey. After all, not many easy roads run out of the toughest barrios in Mexico City.

"I don't regret anything," Marquez said. "It was a great experience. Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger."

Marquez (48-3-1, 35 KOs) and Pacquiao (45-3-2, 34 KOs) fought to an acclaimed draw in May 2004, and two of boxing's most gifted combatants are back together on Saturday at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in a match for Marquez's WBC 130-pound (59-kilogram) title.

Both bloodied fighters raised their arms in victory after their first bout, in which Pacquiao floored Marquez three times in the first round, but lost most of the late rounds to the resurgent Mexican champion.

"I thought that fight was over," Pacquiao said. "I was surprised that he's getting up and he came on fighting. I couldn't believe it. I totally underestimated Marquez in the first fight."

The rematch would have happened almost immediately if Pacquiao, the fighters' promoters and millions of fans had their way. Bob Arum, who promoted Marquez then and promotes Pacquiao now, thought the deal would be simple.

But motivated by pride and what most believe was awful advice from Nacho Beristain, his talented trainer and perhaps not-so-talented manager, Marquez spurned the matchup and embarked on a journey that wound across continents.

Just how proud was Marquez? After turning down a $750,000 (€482,000) payday against Pacquiao, he ended up fighting for $30,000 (€20,000) in Indonesia, where he lost his 126-pound (57-kilogram) title to Chris John.

"I wanted to show that sometimes money is not the issue," Marquez said. "I wanted to show that my pride is first, and I don't accept anybody stepping on me or my pride or insulting me with those kinds of offers."

Marquez still distrusts Arum, but the Top Rank czar easily made a deal with Golden Boy Promotions, Marquez's new representation. Marquez will even make more than the $750,000 (€482,000) he could have had back then, though he can't get back the 2½ years he spent in minor bouts against the likes of Jimrex Jaca and Terdsak Jandaeng before retaking the world stage with a unanimous decision over Marco Antonio Barrera one year ago.

"To do this fight (Saturday), I made a lot of concessions because they wanted to avoid me," Marquez said. "They wanted for me to say no. I accepted them because I wanted to prove to them that this time it's going to be different."

Marquez believes his preparation will make the difference. While Pacquiao trained for two punishing months at sea level in Hollywood, Marquez set up camp in Toluca, Mexico, where he made countless runs in the 13,000-foot (4,000-meter) air up the side of Nevado de Toluca, a two-crater volcano.

"I think Juan Manuel is ready because he is a better fighter now," Beristain said. "All this time, we have been working and training and getting better. MannyPacquiao isn't fighting the same fighter. Juan Manuel is better."

With four years of improved technique and counterpunching acumen, Marquez is a fearsome opponent for Pacquiao, widely considered the second-best pound-for-pound fighter in the world behind Floyd Mayweather Jr. But Pacquiao also has improved under trainer Freddie Roach, notably developing a potent right hook to go with his punishing lefts and nonstop, heedless style.

"Because it's been so long since their first fight, there's not a lot you can take from that," Roach said. "You have to get a whole new approach. You don't know how either guy is going to react to the changes that the other guy made, but we think we're ready for it."

National pride also is at stake. Pacquiao has made a career of pounding the Mexican fighters who often dominate his weight divisions, including Barrera and Erik Morales in recent months. Barrera, Morales and Marquez have been boxing-mad Mexico's top champions since Julio Cesar Chavez's decline, and Pacquiao could complete the hat trick with a win over Marquez — or Marquez could become the No. 1 contender for his nation's heart with a victory.

"Pacquiao has a new nickname — the killer of Mexicans," said Barrera, the beloved champion who retired after losing to both Marquez and Pacquiao last year but is mounting a comeback. "Juan Manuel is coming to change history. Pacquiao will have more experience, but Marquez is very good in this fight. I can't say who will win." - AP

stonecold316
03-16-2008, 01:34 PM
Luevano keeps WBO title vs Jandaeng
03/16/2008 | 11:04 AM

World Boxing Organization featherweight champ Steven Luevano (34-1, 15 KOs) of La Puente, California won against Terdsak Jandaeng (29-2, 19 KOs) of Chumporn, Thailand.

Last October, Luevano was able to defend his title, after winning in a dominant unanimous decision in his bout against Antonio Davis (24-2, 12 KOs).

Luevano's March 15 fight with Jandaeng was another mandatory bout to defend his title. - GMANews.TV<.b>

stonecold316
03-16-2008, 01:34 PM
Pacquiao warms up with roach
03/16/2008 | 11:10 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Filipino boxing champion sparred with coach Freddie Roach inside his locker room to warm up minutes before his fight with Mexican Juan Manuel Marquez.

Juan Manuel Marquez and Manny Pacquiao easily made weight on Friday before their rematch bout for the WBC super featherweight title.

Marquez weighed in right at the 130-pound (59-kilogram) limit, while Pacquiao weighed 129 pounds (58.5 kilograms) in front of a spirited, pro-Mexican crowd at the Mandalay Bay Events Center. Marquez and Pacquiao are the main event on Saturday, nearly four years after their acclaimed first matchup ended in a draw.

Both fighters appeared to be in exceptionally good shape, even by their own lofty standards. Neither had any evidence of body fat as they flexed and shook hands while the crowd chanted rude slogans in Spanish at Pacquiao, who has beaten Mexican fighters in his last six bouts.

Pacquiao (45-3-2, 34 KOs) could have even a bit more muscle in his next bout. He's a slight favorite to claim Marquez's title, but the Filipino champion has said the fight will be his last at 130 pounds (59 kilograms).

His next fight is expected to be at Mandalay Bay in late June against WBC lightweight champion David Diaz, who's fighting Ramon Montano on Saturday's undercard. After that, Pacquiao hopes for a unification fight in the autumn with Nate Campbell, who won the other three major 135-pound (61-kilogram) belts last week by beating Juan Diaz.

Marquez (48-3-1, 35 KOs) hopes a victory over Pacquiao will lead to a third meeting, since both fighters have rematch clauses in their contracts. Marquez won his title last year with a unanimous decision over Marco Antonio Barrera.

Steven Luevano and Terdsak Jandaeng also made weight on Friday before their undercard fight for Luevano's WBO featherweight title. - AP

stonecold316
03-16-2008, 01:35 PM
Filipino singer Ciara Anna Gamboa Sotto opened the Pacquiao-Marquez "Unfinished Business II" by singing the Lupang Hinirang at 11:11 a.m. local time as thousands of Filipino spectators applauded.

Ciara Sotto is the youngest daughter of actress Helen Gamboa and actor-politician Tito Sotto.

Ciara made her first appearance on "Eat Bulaga!" at the tender age of 6 and 17 then became one of the show's regular hosts from 2005 to 2007.

She is the cousin of megastar Sharon Cuneta, and the aunt of KC Concepcion.

Before she became a regular host there, she was a member of former teen-oriented drama TGIS, produced by Viva Television and GMA Network.

During her teenage years, Ciara together with cousin Danica Sotto and Jocas de Leon, had a regular Saturday production number in Eat Bulaga!.

They were dubbed as the “Ang TVJ (Tito, Vic and Joey) Kids." During her stint in Eat Bulaga!, she was paired with co-host Paolo Ballesteros and were together dubbed “CiaPao.“ - GMANews.TV

stonecold316
03-16-2008, 01:36 PM
Filipino challenger Manny Pacquiao and Mexican Juan Manuel Marquez, the World Boxing Council super featherweight champ entered the Mandalay Bay Casino and Resort in Las Vegas on Saturday (Sunday in the Philippines) to an eager full-house audience composed mostly of Filipinos and Mexicans waving their respective national colors.

Ciara Sotto sang "Lupang Hinirang," followed by Teo Gonzales who sang the Mexican "El himno nacional." Filipino-American Jasmine Villegas sang the "Star Spangled Banner."

The fight has been tagged Unfinished Business II as it is widely seen as a continuation of the last bout of the two fighters in 2004 in which Pacquiao managed to knock down Marquez three times in the first round alone.

Marquez is not the favorite as far as betting odds are concerned. - GMANews.TV

stonecold316
03-16-2008, 01:38 PM
Round 10: Pacquiao dominates Marquez
03/16/2008 | 12:08 PM

Manny Pacquiao dominated the 10th round of his rematch with Juan Manuel Marquez, managing to sneak in punches to the head of his already bleeding opponent, with a cut over the right eye.

The last few seconds of ninth round saw both fighters getting really aggressive and trading punches in the face.

In the seventh round, both fighters inflicted punches that resulted in cuts under their eyes and entered the eighth round more aggressively trying to lunge at each other.

In the eighth round, Marquez landed two punches in Pacquiao's face that clearly stunned the Filipino challenger.

Both fighters coasted through the fourth and fifth rounds of their 12-round rematch after thrilling their fans with an aggressive first three rounds at the Mandalay Bay Casino and Resort in Las Vegas on Saturday (Sunday in the Philippines).

In the third round, Pacquiao sent Marquez down on the canvas with a left cross to the jaw with just 19 seconds left.

Pacquiao entered the second round clearly the more aggresive fighter, but Marquez ended the round clearly in his favor, landing two punches in the face of Pacquiao just seconds before the bell sounded.

The rematch started off with the two fighters warily sizing up each other as expected, but the already very excited crowd got roused up when Marquez connected with a jab to the face of Pacquiao, who is out to wrest the World Boxing Council super featherweight from him.

Pacquiao, in white trunks, weighed in at 129 lbs, Marquez, in black trunks, at 130.

Pacquiao and Marquez entered the arena with an eager full-house audience composed mostly of Filipinos and Mexicans waving their respective national colors.

Ciara Sotto sang "Lupang Hinirang," followed by Teo Gonzales who sang the Mexican "El himno nacional." Filipino American Jasmine Villegas sang the "Star Spangled Banner."

The fight has been tagged Unfinished Business as it is widely seen as a continutation of the last bout of the two fighters in 2004, in controversial drawn bout, in which Pacquiao managed to knock down Marquez three times in the first round alone.

Though the defending Marquez is not the favorite as far as betting odds are concerned. - GMANews.TV

stonecold316
03-16-2008, 01:38 PM
Pacquiao is new WBC super featherweight champ
03/16/2008 | 12:16 PM
Going the whole 12 rounds, Manny Pacquiao wrested the World Boxing Council super featherweight title from Juan Manuel Marquez in a thrilling rematch in fully-packed Mandalay Bay Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Pacquiao dominated the 10th round, managing to sneak in punches to the head of his already bleeding opponent, who had a cut over the right eye.

The last few seconds of ninth round saw both fighters getting really aggressive and trading punches in the face.

In the seventh round, both fighters inflicted punches that resulted in cuts under their eyes and entered the eighth round more aggressively trying to lunge at each other.

In the eighth round, Marquez landed two punches in Pacquiao's face that clearly stunned the Filipino challenger.

Both fighters coasted through the fourth and fifth rounds of their 12-round rematch after thrilling their fans with an aggressive first three rounds at the Mandalay Bay Casino and Resort in Las Vegas on Saturday (Sunday in the Philippines).

In the third round, Pacquiao sent Marquez down on the canvas with a left cross to the jaw with just 19 seconds left.

Pacquiao entered the second round clearly the more aggressive fighter, but Marquez ended the round clearly in his favor, landing two punches in the face of Pacquiao just seconds before the bell sounded.

The rematch started off with the two fighters warily sizing up each other as expected, but the already very excited crowd got roused up when Marquez connected with a jab to the face of Pacquiao, who is out to wrest the World Boxing Council super featherweight from him.

The 29-year-old Pacquiao, in white trunks, weighed in at 129 lbs, while the 34-year-old Marquez, in black trunks, is at 130.

Pacquiao and Marquez entered the arena with an eager full-house audience composed mostly of Filipinos and Mexicans waving their respective national colors.

Ciara Sotto sang the Philippine national anthem Lupang Hinirang followed by Teo Gonzales who sang Mexico's El Himno Nacional. Filipino American Jasmine Villegas sang the Star Spangled Banner.

The fight has been tagged Unfinished Business as it is widely seen as a continuation of the last bout of the two fighters in 2004, in controversial drawn bout, in which Pacquiao managed to knock down Marquez three times in the first round alone.

stonecold316
03-16-2008, 01:39 PM
Marquez praises Pacquiao, but says Manny nixes rematch
03/16/2008 | 12:33 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mexico's Juan Manuel Marquez praised his opponent Filipino champ Manny Pacquiao minutes after the latter won in their Unfinished Business match at the Mandalay Bay Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada.

However, the 34-year-old Marquez was disappointed after the 29-year-old Pacquiao refused a rematch

"He's a very strong fighter... I was asking for a rematch but he doesn't want to give it to me," said Marquez in an interview with reporters.

Going the whole 12 rounds, Pacquiao wrested the World Boxing Council super featherweight title from Marquez in a thrilling rematch in fully-packed Mandalay Bay Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Pacquiao dominated the 10th round, managing to sneak in punches to the head of his already bleeding opponent, who had a cut over the right eye.

Pacquiao entered the second round clearly the more aggressive fighter, but Marquez ended the round clearly in his favor, landing two punches in the face of Pacquiao just seconds before the bell sounded.

Pacquiao, in white trunks, weighed in at 129 lbs, while Marquez, in black trunks, is at 130.

Ciara Sotto sang the Philippine national anthem Lupang Hinirang followed by Teo Gonzales who sang Mexico's El Himno Nacional. Filipino American Jasmine Villegas sang the Star Spangled Banner.

The fight has been tagged Unfinished Business as it is widely seen as a continuation of the last bout of the two fighters in 2004, in controversial drawn bout, in which Pacquiao managed to knock down Marquez three times in the first round alone.

stonecold316
03-16-2008, 01:42 PM
Congratulations to Manny Pacquaio for winning the WBC featherweight title from Juan Manuel Marquez.

Both fighters should be given credit for showing the whole world what true boxing is all about.

The result could have gone either way but no doubt, Pacquiao had the advantage over his rival Mexican fighter.

Next in line for Pacquaio: David Diaz sometime in June.

stonecold316

joelex
03-16-2008, 02:08 PM
General reception of the public was more of relief rather than joy. This was one bout Manny "escaped". But still I think Manny would have finished JMM earlier if not for that bloodied eye.

mighty_lion
03-16-2008, 02:36 PM
I thought it was JMM who won. I am no expert in boxing but one thing I did not saw in the match was Manny's speed. Maybe its JMM's strategy that cancelled out Manny's attack.

Mannys cutman did a hell of a job on Pacquiao's cut. Hats off to you Sir!

stonecold316
03-16-2008, 04:12 PM
I forgot to indicate that Manny Pacquaio is the first Asian boxer to win three different world titles in the sport.

Congrats again Manny. Akala ko din panalo si JMM. Pero the judges saw differently.

stonecold316

yungha
03-16-2008, 04:34 PM
it's disappointing to hear comments like dinaya si marquez or niluto para kay paquiao or na-magic. pac's past spectacular performances have led us to expect him to knock opponents out each and every fight. unfortunately he can't knock someone who keeps running away out. marquez can't keep running away, throw one or two punches while backpedaling, then claim that he dominated pac. pac got hit a couple of times, even got staggered in the 8th, but he was the aggressor throughout.

yes, it was close and the decision could just as easily have gone to jmm but that's how boxing goes. that's the nature of close fights that go the distance. it could have gone either way but it certainly wasn't rigged in pac's favor. God knows how many times we've been on the losing end of close decisions before (pac-marquez 1, gorres-montiel, gorres-darchinyan, peñalosa-ponce de leon, viloria-nino, etc). we just licked our wounds and moved on to the next fight.

personally, i'm looking forward to manny moving up to 135. i'm sick of these 130-pounders running away from manny, refusing to mix it up, throwing in a punch every now and then to make it interesting, then after 12 rounds boast that they took manny the distance as if that were the greatest boxing achievement in the world. i don't see the honor in that, considering that boxing was originally conceived as a gentleman's game.

bring on david diaz. i'm sure this guy won't run away.

mabuhay ka manny, 3-TIME WORLD CHAMPION!

shyboy
03-16-2008, 05:18 PM
Though I'm no boxing expert, I think Manny did win the fight but barely. I gave him rounds 3, 4, 7, 9, 10, 11. Round 12 could've gone either way but still it was either 115-112 or 114-113. That 3rd round knockdown of Marquez was huge as it gave Manny a 2-point round. Had there been no knockdowns, Marquez might have won the bout.

bigfreeze_bibby
03-16-2008, 06:12 PM
I'd also give a 114-113 scorecard for Pacman. Yung knockout in the earlier round (round 2 ata yun) was the edge for me although a draw was also a possibility. Sobrang close nung match wherein either fighter could have won it. Sulit yung rematch. It's okay for me if this goes on to a part 3 but it seems Manny doesn't want to anymore because of his weight adjustments.

yungha
03-16-2008, 10:37 PM
remember also that ref kenny bayless failed to see marquez hold on to the ropes to avoid going down a 2nd time in round 3. holding on to the ropes usually counts as a knockdown so if bayless had called that it would have been a 10-7 round for pac.

yungha
03-16-2008, 10:49 PM
Round 10 clinched it for Manny

official scorecards are out at fightnews.com. all 3 judges unanimously gave manny round 10 which effectively clinched the fight for him. by clinching round 10, manny took a 3-pt lead in both tom miller and duane ford's scorecards. so even if manny lost both round 11 and 12, barring a knockdown of course, he still would have clinched the fight. marquez unanimously won round 11. miller and jerry roth gave round 12 to marquez while ford gave it to pac. however, even if ford had given round 12 to JMM, pac would have still been ahead on his scorecard 114-113, still giving pac the split decision.

stonecold316
03-17-2008, 02:56 AM
Boxing pundits see Marquez as 'real winner'
03/16/2008 | 09:07 PM

MANILA, Philippines - Some Filipino boxing analysts on Sunday said they believe Mexican Juan Manuel Marquez won over Manny Pacquiao in their rematch in Las Vegas.

Pacquiao won a narrow split decision to claim Marquez's WBC 130-pound title Saturday night (late Sunday morning in Manila) in a sensational fight that left two of the world's best boxers bloody and triumphant.

Boxing columnist Ronnie Nathanielsz said if one would look at the scorecard, Marquez out pointed Pacquiao.

Nathanielsz, however, said that when Pacquiao floored Marquez in the third round, it saved the Filipino boxing icon’s day.

Though Marquez landed more punches at a higher percentage, Pacquiao (46-3-2) knocked down Marquez (48-4-1) in the third round and persevered through a nasty cut. Marquez also was cut, but neither backed down from one scintillating exchange after another.

Boxing analyst Recah Trinidad said Marquez should have been declared winner of the match. He believes Marquez led by two to three points over Pacquiao.

Trinidad called for a probe to remove doubts that the fight was rigged.

Boxing expert Ed Tolentino is also convinced that Marquez was the real winner. According to Tolentino, Pacquiao won the bout because he is more “marketable" than Marquez.

In order to dispel doubts on Pacquiao’s victory, Tolentino urged the Filipino boxing hero to accept Marquez’ request for a rematch.

Sports critics Ed Picson and Dennis Principe said Pacquiao gained the edge when he knocked down Marquez in the third round.

First match up

Pacquiao and Marquez first match up ended in a draw in May 2004. Marquez was knocked down three times in the opening round of that acclaimed bout, but the Mexican champion improbably rallied to win most of the later rounds in a possible career-saving performance.

An immediate rematch was scuttled by financial arguments, and Pacquiao went on to cement his spots atop the sport and in every Filipino's heart, while Marquez made a long climb back to a match he eagerly accepted this time.

The second fight was just as tight — and every bit as exciting.

Judge Duane Ford favored Pacquiao 115-112 and Jerry Roth called it 115-112 for Marquez, while Tom Miller gave a 114-113 edge to Pacquiao despite giving the last two rounds to Marquez. The Associated Press narrowly favored Marquez, 114-113, on the strength of his 12th-round performance.

With outstanding action in nearly every round producing bloody injuries and heart-stopping moments, the fight showed why both boxers are at the peak of their profession. One defining moment came when Pacquiao nearly had the fight won in the third round, but Marquez kept his feet.

"I thought at that point I was in control of the fight," Pacquiao said. "But when he cut my eye in the fourth round, he made it more difficult for me, and I couldn't take control of the fight. ... I wasn't sure (heading into the 12th round), but I always treat the final round as the most important. I don't take any chances."

Best rounds

From the opening bell, the action was fast and frenetic at the Mandalay Bay Events Center. Marquez staggered Pacquiao in the second round, but Pacquiao floored Marquez in the third with a left hook. Pacquiao then wobbled Marquez again late in what's sure to be one of the year's best rounds, but couldn't finish off Marquez.

"I don't like the decision," Marquez said. "I still feel I am the champion. It was a bad decision. That first knockdown, he got me cold, but then I adjusted my game plan and I thought from then on, I dictated the whole fight. ... The people are the best judge, and the people are booing him. I won."

Pacquiao won a major world title in his fourth weight division, and he intends to take on a fifth when he moves up to 135 pounds for his next fight against David Diaz, the WBC lightweight champion who won on Saturday's undercard.

"I don't think so," Pacquiao said of a third fight with Marquez. "This business is over."

Marquez, whose brother Rafael just finished a three-fight epic with Israel Vazquez, landed 172 punches, or 34 percent of his total compared to Pacquiao's 25 percent.
Pacquiao threw more jabs, and Marquez landed more power shots.

Pacquiao entered the ring to thousands of cheering fans and a Filipino rapper who incited the crowd with a live performance. Marquez had a white-suited mariachi band waiting for him in the ring, and his fans drowned out the sizable Filipino contingent.

After a cautious start, both fighters showed glimpses of their fearsome potential in the second round. Pacquiao won several tough exchanges, but Marquez wobbled Pacquiao with a three-punch combination in the final seconds.

The third round was nonstop action, with both fighters trading quality punches before Pacquiao put Marquez on the canvas with a left hook. Marquez was leaning against the ropes by the end, but wouldn't go down.

Obscured vision

Marquez cut Pacquiao with a punch in the fourth round, but Pacquiao staggered him again in the seventh, and a collision of heads opened a nasty cut near Marquez's right eye. Marquez then split Pacquiao's right cheek early in the eighth, but Pacquiao kept charging forward to take punishment with his obscured vision.

They traded quality punches until the final minute, when Marquez landed a handful of combinations to do the final damage. Both fighters' cornermen raised them in victory.

"It was a close fight, but we came back at the end," said Pacquiao's trainer, Freddie Roach. "It could have gone either way, in my mind. Manny followed him around the ring too much. He didn't cut off the ring like he should have. Marquez may have had a lot to do with that as well. Manny was more disciplined in training than he was in the fight tonight."

Marquez could have had this fight shortly after their first bout across the Las Vegas Strip at the MGM Grand Garden, but his management complained about the financial terms.

Marquez ended up fighting for $30,000 in Indonesia, where he lost his WBA title to Chris John two years ago, but Marquez claimed the WBC title last year by beating Barrera.- GMANews.TV with a report from AP

oca
03-17-2008, 08:34 AM
I thought JMM won the fight. His punches were "clean and clear". But, yes, MP's appear more "telling". But maybe my opinion is construed by my preference for amateur boxing over pros, where precision punching has more premium over power shots.

Juan Manuel was like a surgeon, while Manny was like a matador at a local slaugther house.

Indeed, that knockdown on the 3rd may have ultimately decided a fight as close as that. I just can't believe Marquez managed to get up from that left. A lesser mortal would not have beaten the count even if you count to 100. But he is no ordinary mortal. So to is Pacquiao by the courage and resilience he showed.

Kahanga-hanga ang dalawa.

I don't agree with the clamor for a third fight.

Hindi na kakayanin ni Manny ang 130. The fact that he "ballooned" to 147 at fight time shows that his body has grown and matured way beyond 130.

Our kababayans who suggested a third fight are actually killing MP. Hindi na kaya ng katawan ni Manny ang parusa ng magbawas ng timbang to 130.

Eh, paano kung umakyat ng timbang si Marquez?

Kasado! In 90 days laban agad!

But I doubt if JMM will agree to fight above 130. He relies a lot on speed for his counter punching style. He will lose that speed if he gets heavier. He is a natural 130 pounder.

So let's move on, business is finished.... at 130, at least.

Kid Cubao
03-17-2008, 08:45 AM
i really don't know what the fuss is all about. para sa akin, panalo kung panalo, talo kung talo.

the thing is, both fighters respected each other's strengths, yet neither one backed down. pacquiao is the classic slugger, while el dinamita is a textbook counter-puncher. more than the knockdown, for me what gave manny the nod of the judges was how he took the fight to marquez, and that is what so-called experts like recah trinidad and ronnie nathanielsz may not be aware about professional prizefighting--that in a closely-contested fight between a slugger and a counterpuncher, it is often the case that the counterpuncher that will be in the losing end of the scorecard for the simple reason that his fighting style depends on the aggressiveness of his opponent, and not being aggressive himself. however, what works in favor of the counterpuncher is the opportunity to catch an opening, even a tiny one, when a slugger misfires and leaves himself unguarded. isang malinis lang, and whapakk, lights out yan kung mapuruhan. for marquez, it was his corkscrew right uppercut whenever manny lunges to set up his one-two combination. ilang beses tinamaan si manny nun, but he kept going, never letting that cramp his doomsday style.

bigfreeze_bibby
03-17-2008, 09:17 AM
Hindi na kakayanin ni Manny ang 130. The fact that he "ballooned" to 147 at fight time shows that his body has grown and matured way beyond 130.

Tumpak ito oca. Kung magrematch man sila, sa lightweight na sila magharap (135 lbs). Kitang-kita sa laban kahapon na hirap si Pacman sa pagbabawas niya ng timbang from 147 lbs to 129 lbs. Napansin ko na medyo bumagal ng konti ang laterals ni Pacman compared to his previous fights. Di ko lang alam kung strategy niya yun o talagang ganun na ang laro niya kahapon.

Wala akong masabi sa counterpunching ni Marquez. Mabilis siya sa counterpunching at dun napupuruhan si Manny sa ibang rounds. Medyo duda pa nga ako sa target weight ni Manny na 135, tingin ko subukin na niya mag 140 unless hindi na siya lalaki pa sa 147 ulit.

Nevertheless congratulations to the two fighters. It was one hell of a fight.

batangueño
03-17-2008, 10:05 AM
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20080316/i/r3302832823.jpg

:o >:( ::)

yungha
03-17-2008, 10:12 AM
Boxing pundits see Marquez as 'real winner'
03/16/2008 | 09:07 PM

...Trinidad called for a probe to remove doubts that the fight was rigged...

WTF?! and he calls himself a sportswriter? maybe he wants the senate to head the investigation as well. hbo boxing, yahoo sports, espn, cnnsi, hbo boxing, AP, thesweetscience, boxingscene, etc all thought the fight was close and could have gone either way. some scored it for pac, some for jmm. others didn't agree with the decision, naturally. but no one ever said the fight was rigged in favor of pac. ironically, tayong lang na mga kapwa pinoy ang nagsasabi na niluto yung decision. is that how low we've sunk - we've gotten so used to losing that when we actually win something, we automatically assume we cheated.

just to clarify, i'm not against those who think JMM won. like everyone says, it could've gone either way. what i'm against is those people, fellow pinoys at that, who insinuate that manny won because the fight was rigged.

...in a closely-contested fight between a slugger and a counterpuncher, it is often the case that the counterpuncher that will be in the losing end of the scorecard for the simple reason that his fighting style depends on the aggressiveness of his opponent, and not being aggressive himself. ..

good point cubao.

bchoter
03-17-2008, 11:10 AM
It was laugh trip everytime Donaire contradicts Quinito's and Chinitio's analysis. Serves them right. Nagdudunung-dunungan masyado.

Raging Blue
03-17-2008, 11:14 AM
I am no boxing pundit, but for me Pacman delivered on his pre-fight promise: he made the Filipinos happy with his performance and eventual victory.

Regarding the Trinidads, like father, like son :D

bigfreeze_bibby
03-17-2008, 11:31 AM
Pardon my ignorance mga pare ko, ano yung isang belt pa ni Manny aside from the Ring Magazine and WBC Super Featherweight belt?

Kid Cubao
03-17-2008, 11:41 AM
ang alam ko tatlong titulo ang hinawakan ni manny: the WBC flyweight title, the IBF super bantamweight, and this current one, the WBC superfeatherweight title, which he earned after outpointing el dinamita.

bchoter, kahit ako nagtataka ba't may kasama pang dalawang mascot si nonito donaire when he could have more ably provided BOTH commentary and analysis all by himself.

yungha
03-17-2008, 11:57 AM
anyone know what putty-like substance it was they put into JMM's cut? ang galing, it really stopped the bleeding for him.

Bennie Bangag
03-17-2008, 12:05 PM
anyone know what putty-like substance it was they put into JMM's cut? ang galing, it really stopped the bleeding for him.

don't know for sure, but i heard cut men apply petroleum jelly to reduce contact friction on cuts. as far as stopping the bleeding is concerned, though, yan ang isa sa mga sekreto ng mga magagaling sa larangan ng boksing :)

5FootCarrot
03-17-2008, 01:42 PM
Maybe it was that super-sealant product that works underwater. Besides springing for a gajillion commercials during the GMA broadcast of the fight, maybe the manufacturer is trying via product placement to market alternative uses for his product ;D

erichubert
03-17-2008, 02:49 PM
Pardon my ignorance mga pare ko, ano yung isang belt pa ni Manny aside from the Ring Magazine and WBC Super Featherweight belt?

As of now, Manny is the Ring Magazine, WBC Super Featherweight and WBC International Super Featherweight Champion, so that is 3 belts in all. But I think in a couple of months, he might vacate those titles to move up to the Lightweight division. If there would be a rematch, Manny should agree only if it is in the 135lbs category. The way I see it, his body can't stay at 130 anymore, if he would force himself to make the weight, he would follow the path of Morales who stayed at 130 a tad too long causing his defeats to Manny.

For me, one reason why people are disappointed with the match was because they underestimated Marquez, before the fight, all these boxing pundits keep on saying that swerte na si Marquez to last 6-8 rounds, conveniently forgetting that he is the reigning champion and is in fact no.5 in the pound-for-pound best boxer list. Plus, his style is really tailor made for Manny, he is a thinking puncher who adjusts to the situation and whose counter punching skills are second to no one in the boxing world today.

I also had Marquez winning but there were a lot of rounds that could have gone either way specifically Round 1, Round 11 and Round 12, so I would not be surprised with the decision going the way of Manny.

yungha
03-17-2008, 03:27 PM
It was laugh trip everytime Donaire contradicts Quinito's and Chinitio's analysis. Serves them right. Nagdudunung-dunungan masyado.

quinito: i think the increase in weight from 129 to 144 is obviously bothering manny
donaire: i don't think so, quinito. he weighed this much when he beat eric morales.

quinito: if manny moves up to 135, he'll have to use 10-ounce gloves and that might affect his power.
donaire: i don't think so, quinito. at this level and with manny's power, 2 ounces won't make a difference.

yungha
03-17-2008, 04:34 PM
with manny's victory, the Philippines now has 5 reigning world boxing champions. we have the 4th most number of champs behind USA (11), england (6) and mexico (6), as follows:

USA (11)
England (6)
Mexico (6)
Philippines (5)
Japan (4)
Puerto Rico (4)
Ukraine (4)
Australia (3)
Germany (3)
Venezuela (3)
Argentina (2)
Canada (1)
Colombia (1)
Dominican Republic (1)
France (1)
Ghana (1)
Haiti (1)
Hungary (1)
Indonesia (1)
Nigeria (1)
Panama (1)
Romania (1)
Russia (1)
South Africa (1)
Thailand (1)
Uzbekistan (1)

the reigning world boxing champions are as follows:

Argentina (2)
Omar Narvaez – WBO flyweight
Jose Alfaro – WBA lightweight

Australia (3)
Michael Katsidis - WBO lightweight
Anthony Mundine – WBA super middleweight
Danny Green – WBA light heavyweight

Canada (1)
Steve Molitor – IBF superbantamweight

Colombia (1)
Ricardo Torres – WBO super lightweight

Dominican Republic (1)
Joan Guzman – WBO superfeatherweight

England (6)
Alex Arthur – WBO superfeatherweight interim
Gavin Rees – WBA super lightweight
Junior Witter – WBC super lightweight
Joe Calzaghe – WBO, WBC, WBA super middleweight
Clinton Woods – IBF lightheavyweight
David Haye – WBA, WBC, WBO cruiserweight

France (1)
Brahim Asloum – WBA lightflyweight

Germany (3)
Felix Sturm – WBA middleweight
Arthur Abraham – IBF middleweight
Firat Arslan – WBA cruiserweight

Ghana (1)
Joseph Agbeko – IBF bantamweight

Haiti (1)
Joachim Alcine – WBA super welterweight

Hungary (1)
Zsolt Erdei – WBO light heavyweight

Indonesia (1)
Chris John – WBA featherweight

Japan (4)
Yutaka niida – WBA strawweight
Takefumi Sakata – WBA flyweight
Daisuke Naito – WBC flyweight
Hozumi Hasegawa – WBC bantamweight

Mexico (6)
Edgar Sosa – WBC lightflyweight
Ulises Solis – IBF lightflyweight
Christian Mijares – WBC superflyweight
Fernando Montiel – WBO superflyweight
Israel Vasquez – WBC superbantamweight
Daniel Ponce de Leon – WBO superbantamweight

Nigeria (1)
Samuel Peter – WBC heavyweight

Panama (1)
Celestino Caballero – WBA superbantamweight

Philippines (5)
Florante condes- IBF strawweight
Donnie nietes- WBO strawweight
Nonito Donaire – IBF flyweight
Gerry Peñalosa – WBO bantamweight
Manny Pacquiao – WBC superfeatherweight

Puerto Rico (4)
Ivan Calderon – WBO lightflyweight
Miguel Cotto – WBA welterweight
Kermit Cintron – IBF welterweight
Carlos Quintana – WBO welterweight

Romania (1)
Lucian Bute – IBF super middleweight

Russia (1)
Dimitri Kirilov – IBF superflyweight

South Africa (1)
Mzonke Fana – IBF superfeatherweight

Thailand (1)
Oleydong Sithsamerchai – WBC strawweight

Ukraine (4)
Wladimir Sidorenko – WBA bantamweight
Yuriy Nuzhenko – WBA welterweight
Yuriy Dzinziruk – WBO super welterweight
Wladimir Klitschko – IBF, WBO heavyweight

USA (11)
Robert Guerrero – IBF featherweight
Steven Luevano – WBO featherweight
Nate Campbell – WBA lightweight
David Diaz – WBC lightweight
Paul Malignaggi – IBF super lightweight
Floyd Mayweather – WBC welterweight
Vernon Forrest – WBC superwelterweight
Cory Spinks – IBF super welterweight
Kelly Pavlik - WBC middleweight
Chad Dawson – WBC light heavyweight
Steve Cunningham – IBF cruiserweight

Uzbekistan (1)
Ruslan Chagaev – WBA heavyweight

Venezuela (3)
Alexander Muñoz – WBA superflyweight
Jorge Linares – WBC featherweight
Edwin Valero – WBA superfeatherweight

tigerman
03-17-2008, 06:37 PM
I'm no boxing expert but I thought Marquez won and not Pacman. Sans the 3rd round jackhammer the latter put on the former, the results could have been different.

One thing I notice here is the absense of Pacman's punching speed. The power was there but the rapid coming of punches he is known for was not there last night. Ilag din si Manny sumuntok ng sunod-sunod due to his fear of JMM's superb counterpunching skills.

Congrats to both Manny and Juan Manuel for the excellent match you put up for us fans.

And the politicians who immediately threw their hat in the boxing ring after the match just to show off, shame on you!!!!

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

2sc1
03-17-2008, 09:15 PM

You mean the one on his waist? That's the WBC International Super Featherweight title. It's the title which Manny won when he fought Erik Morales. It's the second most prestigious title in the division, next only to the WBC title Manny won against Marquez.(That being said, it's still not very prestigious. For those who watch WWE, parang Intercontinental Championship siya.)

pio_valenz
03-17-2008, 10:12 PM
A very well-written article from espn.com. Two thumbs up to the writer.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=3296381

It indeed was a helluva a match. I think Pacman did just enough to win, which is not to say he did not give it his best. JMM is just a great boxer and a lot of people underestimate him. I don't know why everyone was expecting Pacman to just go out there and knock JMM out.

stonecold316
03-18-2008, 04:32 AM

quinito: i think the increase in weight from 129 to 144 is obviously bothering manny
donaire: i don't think so, quinito. he weighed this much when he beat eric morales.

quinito: if manny moves up to 135, he'll have to use 10-ounce gloves and that might affect his power.
donaire: i don't think so, quinito. at this level and with manny's power, 2 ounces won't make a difference.

Yes, mismong ako napansin ko din na panay ang kontra ni Donaire sa dalawa. It was a good thing at nandun siya because as an experienced fighter, he really knows what's happening inside the ring. Unlike si Quinito at Chino na puro daldal lang ang alam.

;D ;D ;D
stonecold316

john_paul_manahan
03-18-2008, 05:45 AM
bring on Diaz. or Nate Campbell.

JonarSabilano
03-18-2008, 07:59 AM

You mean the one on his waist? That's the WBC International Super Featherweight title. It's the title which Manny won when he fought Erik Morales. It's the second most prestigious title in the division, next only to the WBC title Manny won against Marquez.(That being said, it's still not very prestigious. For those who watch WWE, parang Intercontinental Championship siya.)

IIRC, the International title is given to the 11th-ranked fighter in the division. Now that Manny's gotten THE WBC title, will he give up the other one?

bigfreeze_bibby
03-18-2008, 08:09 AM
Salamat sa lahat ng sumagot regarding my inquiry sa belts. Narinig ko sa balita kagabi na okay kay Marquez na umangat din ng timbang para lang makapagrematch sila ni Pacman. Mukhang gigil si El Dinamita na bumawi kay Pacman. Samantalang dati na siya kinukulit ni Pacman e inabot ng four years bago nangyari ang rematch.

oca
03-18-2008, 08:23 AM
Salamat sa lahat ng sumagot regarding my inquiry sa belts.* Narinig ko sa balita kagabi na okay kay Marquez na umangat din ng timbang para lang makapagrematch sila ni Pacman.* Mukhang gigil si El Dinamita na bumawi kay Pacman.* Samantalang dati na siya kinukulit ni Pacman e inabot ng four years bago nangyari ang rematch.

He is willing to fight at a heavier weight?

Kasado!

Juan Manuel will lose a considerable amount of speed in his counter punches if he gets heavier. If they have to officially weigh-in at 135, by fight time he will be near 150. As a natural 130 pounder, masyadong mabigat na sa kanya yan. He will not be able to uncork those counter punches as quick as he did in this second fight. He won't be able to move away from that left as nimble as he did last Saturday evening.

As for Manny, he does not rely on speed. Mas gusto niya nga na nakatayo lang sila ng kalaban niya sa gitna kaysa sumayaw at magpaikot-ikot.

Anger and frustration can really cloud one's judgement. JMM's camps should think this over.

Kid Cubao
03-18-2008, 09:34 AM
It indeed was a helluva a match. I think Pacman did just enough to win, which is not to say he did not give it his best. JMM is just a great boxer and a lot of people underestimate him. I don't know why everyone was expecting Pacman to just go out there and knock JMM out.

that's because of the first pacman-el dinamita fight. marquez was knocked down three times in the FIRST ROUND, and had it not been for a judge who later admitted he should have scored the first round 10-6 instead of the 10-7 he scribbled in his scorecard, and had it not been for a large blister in pacquiao's left foot that exploded midway into the fight and left a large open wound that bled each time he twisted and turned (reportedly caused by the cheap thin pair of socks his gofers bought at a discount store in the US), the outcome would not have been a draw.

this time around, marquez's camp thoroughly prepared their ward by sending juan manuel to training camp way ahead of manny. in the months that followed, reports that filtered in seemed to indicate that marquez was able to scout and anticipate pacquiao's tendencies especially when he's about to throw his feared left cross. the result was a fighting machine that was geared toward vanquishing manny pacquiao and defending the title. and his technique was something to behold. sabi nga ni oca, it was surgeon-like in its precision. that's why i wouldn't hold it against JMM to express outrage and disappointment at the decision, because he felt--as well as many others--that he was the better boxer that night. yun lang, dahil di napabagsak ni JMM si pacquiao, kelangang i-tally yung mga scores, at ika nga ni andy jao, lamang sa bilangan si pacquiao ng wampoint ;D

bchoter
03-18-2008, 09:54 AM
^ Wampoint. Amp! Natawa ako don Kid Cubao.

chocoks77
03-18-2008, 10:04 AM

don't know for sure, but i heard cut men apply petroleum jelly to reduce contact friction on cuts. as far as stopping the bleeding is concerned, though, yan ang isa sa mga sekreto ng mga magagaling sa larangan ng boksing :)

I actually saw the cutman putting thread sa loob ng sugat ni JMM to stop the bleeding. Galing nga how they stopped the bleeding from both boxers in a matter of seconds.

erichubert
03-18-2008, 11:04 AM
If the third fight would be at 135lbs, it would be a huge advantage for Manny. I think that is his natural weight right now and it would make him not add too much weight at the night of the fight. I think in this last fight, he was too heavy during the actual match. From 129 to 145 or 147 is just too big a leap.

mighty_lion
03-18-2008, 11:42 AM
In the past its hard to recollect instances na-nagiging groggy si Pacman mula sa solid punches nung mga kalaban. In his second bout with JMM I think there were more than five instances na iniinda ni Manny yong solid punches ni JMM. While we can credit it to JMM's power I think iniinda na rin ni Pacman yong mga malalakas na suntok unlike before when he was 22-27 years of age.

Before the start of the game, Morales predicted a Pacman win through scorecard after 12. He who has been there knows better. Hehe.

erichubert
03-18-2008, 12:01 PM
Freddie Roach said that Manny kept on moving towards Marquez's right hand instead of away from it, this could be one reason why nagroggy siya sa mga suntok ni Marquez. Solid din and mga tama sa kanya. But I think it is a testament to his improvement that he didn't go down from those punches. Manny has always had a vulnerable chin, in fact he has been knocked down by less heralded opponents before. Remember, he was knocked down in his match here in Luneta several years ago against an opponent from Kazakhstan.

Straying away from Manny, one of our best hopes for an Olympic berth in boxing Joan Tipon just lost his first match in the last Olympic qualifying in Kazakhstan. The way things are going, it looks like for the first time in years, we would be sending only one boxer to the Olympics in Harry Tanamor. :-\

pio_valenz
03-18-2008, 02:42 PM
Straying away from Manny, one of our best hopes for an Olympic berth in boxing Joan Tipon just lost his first match in the last Olympic qualifying in Kazakhstan. The way things are going, it looks like for the first time in years, we would be sending only one boxer to the Olympics in Harry Tanamor.* :-\

May problema na talaga sa program ng ABAP. I don't think we lack talent, and the ABAP certainly has not run out of sponsors to finance its programs, so maybe we're not doing something right when it comes to training.

Paul of Bataan
03-18-2008, 03:02 PM
may kumakalat na balita ngayon na dahil tinalo ni pacquiao ang lahat ng magigiting na boksingero ng mexico, ang huling alas na ikakasa nila ay walang iba kundi si zorro.

abcdef
03-18-2008, 03:16 PM
may kumakalat na balita ngayon na dahil tinalo ni pacquiao ang lahat ng magigiting na boksingero ng mexico, ang huling alas na ikakasa nila ay walang iba kundi si zorro.

Hehehe! But the Philippines is more than prepared to resurect PANDAY for that matter! ;D ;D ;D

oca
03-18-2008, 03:23 PM
Straying away from Manny, one of our best hopes for an Olympic berth in boxing Joan Tipon just lost his first match in the last Olympic qualifying in Kazakhstan. The way things are going, it looks like for the first time in years, we would be sending only one boxer to the Olympics in Harry Tanamor.* :-\

May problema na talaga sa program ng ABAP. I don't think we lack talent, and the ABAP certainly has not run out of sponsors to finance its programs, so maybe we're not doing something right when it comes to training.

Amateur boxing naman...

Puno't dulo ng problema? Gaya ng sinabi ni Pio, hindi nawawalan ng padrino ang ABAP. Pero bakit ganyan?

Imo, ang problema ay nasa mga Lopez.

Kung hindi ako nagkakamali, ng itanghal ang 1988 Seoul Olympics, mga Lopez na ang nakaupo sa ABAP. Malamang mas maaga pa sa 1988 nang makuha ng mga Lopez ang trono ng ABAP.

Masyado nang matagal ang panahon na iyan.

Kahit maganda ang palakad mo, kalabisan na ang umupo ka ng ganyang katagal. Ano pa kung hindi sumusulong ang amateur boxing sa pamumuno mo.

Napakawalang kwentang tao ba tayo, wala tayong makitang ibang pwedeng mamuno?

O, napakadisente natin, walang gustong tumapat sa mga Lopez sa tuwing may ABAP eleksyon?

Ano ba ang pwedeng ibida ng mga Lopez?

4 o 5 gold sa Asian games?

1 pilak, 2 tanso sa Olympics?

Ilan sa World Championships?

Lahat iyan sa loob ng 20 taon! (Mas higit pa yata sa 20!)

Kung titignan mo ang mga nagpanalong boxer natin sa mga nagdaang Asian Games o Olympics, lahat yan ay tuwirang magagaling. Hindi yan produkto ng programa ng ABAP. Yung mga tulad nila Serrantes, Jalnaiz, magkapatid na Velasco, likas na magaling ang mga iyan.

Pero hindi natin madadaig ang lahat sa angking kagalingan. Dapat nandyan ang programa na magpapaibayo at maghahanda sa mga boxer natin. Sa tuwing matatapos ang isang Asian Games o Olympics, yun at yun pa rin ang palusot kung bakit hindi nanalo.

Mahiya naman sana ang mga Lopez at ang kanilang alipores.

Wala na si Chowdry, di na pwedeng sabihin naluto o maluluto ang mga boxer natin. Bago na ang pamunuan ng boxing sa mundo.

Pero dito sa atin?

Tayo na naturingan na may mayaman at mahabang history sa event na ito ay hindi umangat ang antas!

Mahiya naman ang mga Lopez.

Dalawampung taon na pinatatakbo ang zarzuelang yan!

yungha
03-19-2008, 12:48 AM
... that's why i wouldn't hold it against JMM to express outrage and disappointment at the decision, because he felt--as well as many others--that he was the better boxer that night. yun lang, dahil di napabagsak ni JMM si pacquiao, kelangang i-tally yung mga scores, at ika nga ni andy jao, lamang sa bilangan si pacquiao ng wampoint ;D...

JMM and his handlers however took their outrage a step further, claiming that this decision is bad for the sport of boxing and will turn fans away from boxing. they also insinuated cheating and that the late replacement judge was planted by freddie roach.

JMM will go down in boxing history as one of those unfortunate talented pugilists. he has a strong case to be among the great fighters of his time but he fought at a time when the big guns in his division - morales, barrera and pacquiao - were still blazing. he never got to prove himself against morales, didn't get respect for beating an old, watered-down version of barrera, and almost won TWICE against boxing sensation pacquiao but never quite got over the hump. morales and barrera have cemented their legacies many times over whereas manny is mentioned in the same breath as floyd mayweather and oscar dela hoya. JMM, on the other hand, gets to fight second-tier guys like rocky juarez, jimrex jaca, terdsak jandaeng, orlando salido, for 5-figure purses in such prestigious venues as kalimantan timur, indonesia and hidalgo, texas.

that's why JMM is so vehement in his protests, so persistent in asking for a rematch. he needs manny. he needs manny to get recognition as an elite fighter, to get respect from the boxing community, to get the 7-figure purses he feels he deserves while fighting in MGM Grand or Mandalay Bay. that's why he'll chase manny pacquiao all the way to heavyweight if need be.

stonecold316
03-19-2008, 01:19 AM
... that's why i wouldn't hold it against JMM to express outrage and disappointment at the decision, because he felt--as well as many others--that he was the better boxer that night. yun lang, dahil di napabagsak ni JMM si pacquiao, kelangang i-tally yung mga scores, at ika nga ni andy jao, lamang sa bilangan si pacquiao ng wampoint ;D...

JMM and his handlers however took their outrage a step further, claiming that this decision is bad for the sport of boxing and will turn fans away from boxing. they also insinuated cheating and that the late replacement judge was planted by freddie roach.

JMM will go down in boxing history as one of those unfortunate talented pugilists. he has a strong case to be among the great fighters of his time but he fought at a time when the big guns in his division - morales, barrera and pacquiao - were still blazing. he never got to prove himself against morales, didn't get respect for beating an old, watered-down version of barrera, and almost won TWICE against boxing sensation pacquiao but never quite got over the hump. morales and barrera have cemented their legacies many times over whereas manny is mentioned in the same breath as floyd mayweather and oscar dela hoya. JMM, on the other hand, gets to fight second-tier guys like rocky juarez, jimrex jaca, terdsak jandaeng, orlando salido, for 5-figure purses in such prestigious venues as kalimantan timur, indonesia and hidalgo, texas.

that's why JMM is so vehement in his protests, so persistent in asking for a rematch. he needs manny. he needs manny to get recognition as an elite fighter, to get respect from the boxing community, to get the 7-figure purses he feels he deserves while fighting in MGM Grand or Mandalay Bay. that's why he'll chase manny pacquiao all the way to heavyweight if need be.

Baka sobrang tanda na niya nun kapag mangyari man ang rematch. ;D ;D ;D

Honestely, tama ka sa sinabi mo. Marquez needs Manny to get the attention he needs. Without Pacman, Marquez will be a nobody. tsk, tsk, tsk,

stonecold316

stonecold316
03-19-2008, 01:24 AM

Amateur boxing naman...

Puno't dulo ng problema? Gaya ng sinabi ni Pio, hindi nawawalan ng padrino ang ABAP. Pero bakit ganyan?

Imo, ang problema ay nasa mga Lopez.

Kung hindi ako nagkakamali, ng itanghal ang 1988 Seoul Olympics, mga Lopez na ang nakaupo sa ABAP. Malamang mas maaga pa sa 1988 nang makuha ng mga Lopez ang trono ng ABAP.

Masyado nang matagal ang panahon na iyan.

Kahit maganda ang palakad mo, kalabisan na ang umupo ka ng ganyang katagal. Ano pa kung hindi sumusulong ang amateur boxing sa pamumuno mo.

Napakawalang kwentang tao ba tayo, wala tayong makitang ibang pwedeng mamuno?

O, napakadisente natin, walang gustong tumapat sa mga Lopez sa tuwing may ABAP eleksyon?

Ano ba ang pwedeng ibida ng mga Lopez?

4 o 5 gold sa Asian games?

1 pilak, 2 tanso sa Olympics?

Ilan sa World Championships?

Lahat iyan sa loob ng 20 taon! (Mas higit pa yata sa 20!)

Kung titignan mo ang mga nagpanalong boxer natin sa mga nagdaang Asian Games o Olympics, lahat yan ay tuwirang magagaling. Hindi yan produkto ng programa ng ABAP. Yung mga tulad nila Serrantes, Jalnaiz, magkapatid na Velasco, likas na magaling ang mga iyan.

Pero hindi natin madadaig ang lahat sa angking kagalingan. Dapat nandyan ang programa na magpapaibayo at maghahanda sa mga boxer natin. Sa tuwing matatapos ang isang Asian Games o Olympics, yun at yun pa rin ang palusot kung bakit hindi nanalo.

Mahiya naman sana ang mga Lopez at ang kanilang alipores.

Wala na si Chowdry, di na pwedeng sabihin naluto o maluluto ang mga boxer natin. Bago na ang pamunuan ng boxing sa mundo.

Pero dito sa atin?

Tayo na naturingan na may mayaman at mahabang history sa event na ito ay hindi umangat ang antas!

Mahiya naman ang mga Lopez.

Dalawampung taon na pinatatakbo ang zarzuelang yan!

Well said sir. Actually, hindi lang naman sa ABAP ang may ganyang problema kungdi sa iba pang NSAs. Parang mafia rin kasi ang patakbo sa mga sporting organizations na ito. Kung sino ang malakas siya usually and boss. Pansin ninyo rin ba na usually mga politicians ang humahawak ng ating mga NSAs that's why may corruption din na nangyayari. Hanggat hindi nababago ang sistema kawawa talaga ang amateur boxing at other sports sa bansa.

stonecold316

Jaco D
03-19-2008, 03:17 AM
JMM, on the other hand, gets to fight second-tier guys like rocky juarez, jimrex jaca, terdsak jandaeng, orlando salido, for 5-figure purses in such prestigious venues as kalimantan timur, indonesia and hidalgo, texas.

You're right, the guy is grasping at straws.* Actually, his ending up in rinky-dinky fights is entirely his fault (well, not exactly his but his trainer/manager).* JMM and Pac went through different paths from their first fight to the second one over a four year period, with Pac going through the "career enhancement" route.* He should have made hay while the sun was still out and not play catch up this late in his career.* If he thinks that he isn't getting the respect which he deserves, then he should earn it.* If he thinks Pac is what's standing between him and respect then he should earn it on Pacs terms (higher weight class, "not now but maybe later", maybe going through Diaz before Pac, etc.)

On a side note, in the undercard, the handlers of the Thai boxer (si Jandaeng ba iyon?) were sporting baseball caps with the Philippine flag on the side.* Is he being handled by one of the many boxing stables in the Philippines?

stonecold316
03-19-2008, 08:21 PM
'Don't rush it,' says Roach on Pacquiao-Marquez rematch
03/19/2008 | 12:10 AM
Manny Pacquiao, the new World Boxing Council (WBC) super featherweight champ, won't refuse a rematch with Juan Manuel Marquez. But Freddie Roach, his longtime trainer, says: Don't rush it.

And if Marquez really wants a rematch he would probably get it after Pacquiao wins a lightweight title, which he's been aspiring for as he's been having some trouble getting down to the 130-pound limit of his current weight division.

"He's feeling he doesn't want it," Roach said in an interview with Chino Trinidad, whose report was aired on Tuesday over 24 Oras, GMA Network's early evening newscast.

"Let's enjoy this one for a moment," Roach added. "The rematch is probably not going to happen right away because Manny's having trouble making 130. We want to move up to 135. We'd like to win the title first at 135, and he want to challenge for the 135 title, let's do it that way."

Marquez asked Pacquiao for a rematch shortly after the Filipino icon defeated him on a very close split decision in their Unfinished Business rematch on March 15 at the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino in Las Vegas (March 16 in the Phlippines).

Richard Schaefer, chief executive officer of Golden Boy Promotions, even made a money offer shortly after the bout, saying: "I would be willing to invite Pacquiao right now for $6 million for the rematch."

Marquez insisted that he should have won the match, and even well-known Filipino sports analysts, like Ronnie Nathanielsz, Recah Trinidad, and Ed Picson, gave the Mexican the benefit of the doubt.

The two boxers first fought in 2004, in bout that also ended in controversial decision – a draw that many Filipino fans should have been a win for Pacquiao, who after all knocked down Marquez no less than three times in the very first round. - GMANews.TV

stonecold316
03-19-2008, 08:25 PM
'Don't rush it,' says Roach on Pacquiao-Marquez rematch
03/19/2008 | 12:10 AM
Manny Pacquiao, the new World Boxing Council (WBC) super featherweight champ, won't refuse a rematch with Juan Manuel Marquez. But Freddie Roach, his longtime trainer, says: Don't rush it.

And if Marquez really wants a rematch he would probably get it after Pacquiao wins a lightweight title, which he's been aspiring for as he's been having some trouble getting down to the 130-pound limit of his current weight division.

"He's feeling he doesn't want it," Roach said in an interview with Chino Trinidad, whose report was aired on Tuesday over 24 Oras, GMA Network's early evening newscast.

"Let's enjoy this one for a moment," Roach added. "The rematch is probably not going to happen right away because Manny's having trouble making 130. We want to move up to 135. We'd like to win the title first at 135, and he want to challenge for the 135 title, let's do it that way."

Marquez asked Pacquiao for a rematch shortly after the Filipino icon defeated him on a very close split decision in their Unfinished Business rematch on March 15 at the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino in Las Vegas (March 16 in the Phlippines).

Richard Schaefer, chief executive officer of Golden Boy Promotions, even made a money offer shortly after the bout, saying: "I would be willing to invite Pacquiao right now for $6 million for the rematch."

Marquez insisted that he should have won the match, and even well-known Filipino sports analysts, like Ronnie Nathanielsz, Recah Trinidad, and Ed Picson, gave the Mexican the benefit of the doubt.

The two boxers first fought in 2004, in bout that also ended in controversial decision – a draw that many Filipino fans should have been a win for Pacquiao, who after all knocked down Marquez no less than three times in the very first round. - GMANews.TV

stonecold316
03-21-2008, 04:44 PM
Rematch pressed

Nick Giongco

LOS ANGELES — Golden Boy Promotions (GBP) is hell-bent in staging an immediate rubber match between Mexican Juan Manuel Marquez and his Filipino tormentor Manny Pacquiao, GBP publicity director head Ramiro Gonzalez told the Bulletin on Tuesday.

"Golden Boy Promotions is looking forward to hold the rematch as soon as possible and we would like to tell Marquez that we are solidly behind him," said Gonzalez.

Marquez was knocked down in the third round with just one shot — a left cross by the Filipino — and was rocked badly in the tenth but wound up finishing the fight on his feet with Pacquiao eking out a razor-thin split verdict to capture the World Boxing Council (WBC) super-featherweight crown in Las Vegas over the weekend.

Gonzalez said "it was a great fight (and) great atmosphere," and "in the end someone has to win and someone has to lose." "

For me I had Marquez (winning by) one point or (the fight could have been ruled) a draw," said Gonzalez, who formerly worked as a sportswriter for La Opinion before being recruited by the Oscar de la Hoya-owned GBP to handle the media affairs of the Los Angeles-based company.

But Team Pacquiao has other plans next and foremost on the agenda is a crack at David Diaz’s WBC lightweight title in late-June or early-July, according to Top Rank boss Bob Arum.

Arum also promotes the Chicago-bred Diaz and the 76-year-old Hall of Fame promoter was uninterested in having Pacquiao and Marquez go at it for the third time, saying Marquez has to wait for another opportunity since Pacquiao is not even mandated to give him a third fight as there is no clause in the contract that guarantees him of such.

Marquez’s training team as well as GBP insists that the 34-year-old counter-puncher had been robbed of a win as he boxed exceptionally well despite being floored early in the action-packed match before 11,060 fans at Mandalay Bay.

Marquez said the 29-year-old Pacquiao only won four rounds the most but there were as much as four rounds that had been awarded to his foe that should have been his.

Upon his setting foot in Mexico City on Sunday night, Marquez told the press that he will take a break from training but should be showing up for training in time for his return to action in September or October.

The decision triggered a war of words involving Marquez’s training team and GBP against Arum during the post-fight press conference.

Arum said people in boxing should learn how to live with close decisions like Pacquiao-Marquez 2.

Arum "sparred" with GBP Chief Executive Officer Richard Schaefer and Jaime Quintana, who is Marquez’s adviser and translator, during the much-talked about incident.

stonecold316
03-21-2008, 04:51 PM
Pacquiao wants to fight Diaz

Nick Giongco

SAN FRANCISCO — Manny Pacquiao wants to push through with the June 28 battle with American David Diaz in Las Vegas, a key Team Pacquiao member said on Wednesday.

"Manny says he can return to the ring as scheduled in late-June," said Pacquiao confidant Wakee Salud.

Top Rank head Bob Arum had earlier penciled June 28 as the date for Pacquiao’s crack at Diaz’s World Boxing Council (WBC) lightweight crown.

The 12-000-seat Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, venue of Pacquiao’s pulsating split decision win over Juan Manuel Marquez, has been tapped to host the bout.

Arum had expressed fears that the original playdate of June 28 will have to be postponed owing to a cut Pacquiao sustained in his winning Marquez’s WBC super-featherweight title.

Jeffrey Ross, the plastic surgeon who stitched Pacquiao up after the Marquez tiff, said it will take six to eight weeks before the wound fully heals.

Diaz caught Arum’s eyes after the bull-strong Chicago native pounded out a lopsided ten-round decision over Ramon Montano of Mexico underneath the Pacquiao-Marquez headliner.

Diaz is also being promoted by Arum and the Hall of Fame promoter’s judgement to leave Marquez out in the cold despite a sure-fire knockout hit if he pairs Pacquiao and Marquez again for the rubber match is a business decision.

Should Arum go on with Pacquiao-Diaz, Golden Boy Promotions (GBP) will not have any financial say in the event since Pacquiao will be facing a fellow Top Rank fighter.

"The soup will not spill over the bowl," said noted boxing man Ramon Lainez, who was at ringside when Pacquiao dethroned Marquez.

Marquez is under contract with GBP, the Los Angeles-based outfit owned by Oscar De La Hoya.

Arum said it is right and proper that people give Pacquiao and Marquez some space especially after what they went through.

"Give them some air," said Arum during Saturday’s much-talked about post-fight press conference.

Although he is not against putting up a third fight between Pacquiao and Marquez, Arum is keen in seeing Pacquiao go after a fourth world championship when he returns to the ring.

stonecold316
03-21-2008, 04:57 PM
Pacquiao joins Mayweather at top pound-for-pound spot

With his recent win over Juan Manuel Marquez, new super featherweight king Manny Pacquiao joined welterweight champ Floyd Mayweather at the Number 1 spot at BoxingScene.com’s top pound-for-pound list, abs-cbnNEWS.com learned Wednesday.

Boxing Scene’s Cliff Rold described Pacquiao "a fighter for the ages no matter how you slice it."

"He’s the only fighter in history to win the World title at 112 and 126 lbs.; the only one to win the World titles 112 and 130; and needless to say the only one to pull of that hat trick," said Rold.

He even admitted scoring the Pacquiao-Marquez fight in favor of the Mexican but "with two fighters that good and that close, the official verdict must stand."

"Throw in an ‘alphabelt’ at 122 and Pacquiao’s blend of scale climbing and pressure fighting is as close to Henry Armstrong as today’s fans may ever get," said Rold.

Rold said that Pacquiao’s next standing on the pound-for-pound list would depend on the outcome of the planned fight between Pacquiao and WBC lightweight champion David Diaz.

"If he defeats Diaz, Pacquiao could easily have this spot to himself by the end of the year," he said.

Pacquiao defeated Marquez in a close fight, snatching the WBC super featherweight belt via split decision at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas Nevada over the weekend.

Two of the judges saw it 115-112, 114-113 for Pacquiao, while the third scored 115-112 for Marquez.

Aside from being crowned as WBC super featherweight champ, Pacquiao was awarded with the Ring Magazine super featherweight belt.

2sc1
03-23-2008, 12:58 AM

IIRC, the International title is given to the 11th-ranked fighter in the division. Now that Manny's gotten THE WBC title, will he give up the other one?

Well, apparently he already has, according to the WBC's website.

stonecold316
03-23-2008, 05:38 PM
Katsidis fights Casamayor, eyes Pacquiao

CABAZON, California (AFP) — Undefeated Australian powerhouse Michael Katsidis, with 20 knockouts in 23 fights, challenges Cuban veteran Joel Casamayor for the World Boxing Council interim lightweight title here Saturday.

A victory by the 27-year-old puncher from Toowoomba, Queensland, could put him in the path of Philippines star Manny Pacquiao, who is likely to next fight WBC lightweight champion David Diaz of the United States.

Katsidis has not fought since his US pro debut last July when he won a unanimous 12-round decision over Czar Amonsot, shaking off cuts over both eyes to knock down the Filipino fighter twice and take the victory.

A possible Katsidis title fight with Juan Diaz fell through, the US fighter electing to face compatriot Nate Campbell two weeks ago and losing his World Boxing Association and International Boxing Federation lightweight crowns.

Katsidis, a 2000 Olympian at lightweight who lost in the second round, instead booked a date with 36-year-old Casamayor, the 1992 Olympic champion who as a pro is 35-3 with one draw and 21 knockouts.

‘’It’s an honor to fight a great champion like Casamayor and I’m looking forward to testing my skills against him,’’ Katsidis said. ‘’I believe my pressure, power and youth will carry me to victory.’’

Casamayor took a split decision over Diego Corrales in 2006 to claim the WBC lightweight title but did not fight again for 13 months until edging Jose Santa Cruz by split decision four months ago despite being knocked down in round one.

The long layoff and narrow escape has many questioning whether Casamayor retains his championship form.

‘’I’ve been on top for a long time and I’m not about to leave anytime soon,’’ Casamayor said. ‘’Katsidis is a good fighter and he will be on top of this division someday, but this is still my time and I’m not about to lose to him.’’

stonecold316
03-23-2008, 05:40 PM
Pacquiao starts training in April

By Nick Giongco

SAN FRANCISCO — Manny Pacquiao plans to report back for training at the Wild Card Boxing Club in Hollywood in the last week of April in preparation for a June 28 fight being lined up by Top Rank.

Pacquiao told the Bulletin on Friday that he is looking forward to returning to action after his razor-thin split decision win over Juan Manuel Marquez last week in Las Vegas after he takes care of the backlog in his studies at Notre Dame in General Santos City.

The 29-year-old Pacquiao is enrolled there taking up management.

"I have to attend to my studies first then head back to the Wild Card," said Pacquiao, who now holds the World Boxing Council (WBC) super-featherweight crown after his win over Marquez.

Pacquiao left behind two months worth of studies when he started training for Marquez in mid-January.

Although Top Rank has already penciled a date for Pacquiao, the choice of opponent is still up in the air according to the boxer even if Bob Arum, the man who calls the shots for the Las Vegas-based promotional outfit, has spoken about Pacquiao facing WBC lightweight king David Diaz at Mandalay Bay.

"Everything is still under negotiations," said Pacquiao, who leaves for Manila on Saturday night. A victory parade awaits him when he sets foot in the Philippines on Monday morning.

As this developed, Pacquiao had the stitches on his right eyebrow removed also on Friday, almost a week after Marquez opened that ghastly wound with a right straight in the eighth round of their 12-round brawl.

Pacquiao had to wear dark glasses to hid the hideous wound when he faced the media during the post-fight press conference and he wore that in the days that followed.

"I am doing fine now, my eye is no longer closed," said Pacquiao from his apartment unit at The Palazzo in trendy La Brea area.

For the Marquez bout, Pacquiao trained for eight solid weeks and he is keen in doing the same in his next fight regardless of who the opponent will be.

After the June bout, Pacquiao plans to see action one more time in November.

Pacquiao will be joined in the trip back to the Philippines by wife Jinkee and close family members as well as two of his trainers and friends and supporters.

stonecold316
03-23-2008, 05:44 PM
Pacquiao to grace Elorde Awards

Newly-crowned World Boxing Council super featherweight champion Manny Pacquiao is scheduled to return to the country after the Lenten season in time for his induction into the Elorde Hall of Fame during the eighth Gabriel "Flash" Elorde Memorial Awards on March 25 at the Centennial Hall of the Manila Hotel.

Pacquiao, fresh from his 12-round win over Mexican Juan Manuel Marquez, is set to arrive tomorrow from Los Angeles.

President Macapagal Arroyo will lead the induction rites for the boxing legend, who will be the first Filipino to be enshrined into the Elorde Boxing Hall of Fame, the ultimate award in Philippine professional boxing.

Pacquiao will be enshrined as a Hall of Famer, an honor given to a boxer who has received the Elorde boxer-of-the-year honors for seven years, the same number of years Flash Elorde reigned as world junior lightweight champion (1960-67).

Pacquiao will lead four others who share boxer-of-the-year honors in ceremonies which start at 6 p.m.

They are champions Gerry Peñalosa (WBO bantamweight), Nonito Donaire (IBF superflyweight), Florante Condes (IBF minimumweight) and Donnie Nietes (WBO minimumweight).

Games and Amusements Board chairman Eric Buhain will introduce President Arroyo while the late boxer’s wife Laura Elorde will deliver the welcome remarks.

Masters of ceremonies are Liza Elorde and Ted Lerner.

Former WBC and WBA featherweight champion Luisito Espinosa, based in the US during the last 10 years, is also returning to the Philippines Monday to receive a long-overdue award as former world champion.

Also joining Pacquiao in the Elorde Banquet of Champions are 28 other world and international champions, including two in the distaff side, and 16 Philippine titleholders.

Also to be honored in the rites are Antonio Aldeguer (best promoter), Michael Aldeguer (best manager), Edito Villamor (best trainer), Ferdinand Estrella (best referee), Silvestre Abainza (best judge) and AJ Banal (most promising boxer).

Special awards will also be given to the World Boxing Council, the Games & Amusement Board, the Philippine Sportswriters Association, Springboard Foundation and boxing judge Ricardo Canlas.

Posthumous awards will be bestowed on Boxing manager, Leopoldo Correa, boxing trainer Igmedio Espinosa, father of Luisito Espinosa, Felixberto Jardenil, matchmaker and former Japan Boxing Champion Nolito Cabato.

The affair is hosted by the Elorde Foundation and Johnny Elorde Management International and sponsored by PAGCOR, LONSDALE, the Department of Tourism (DOT), PCSO and Raymundo’s Trophies and Sculptures which crafted the trophies.

stonecold316
03-23-2008, 05:45 PM
Diaz craves for Pacman

By NICK GIONGCO

SAN FRANCISCO — David Diaz, the bull-strong Mexican-American being lined up to collide with Manny Pacquiao on June 28 in Las Vegas, is vacationing with his family in his native Chicago and will immediately report for training once the fight is confirmed by Top Rank.

Bernie Bharmasel, who does the publicity work for Diaz, told the Bulletin on Thursday that the 31-year-old southpaw "is currently waiting to hear that the June 28 date is finalized for his fight with the Mexicutioner."

"He (Diaz) will start camp accordingly as soon as the fight is finalized," said Bharmasel. "At the present time, he is in Chicago spending time with his family."

Diaz caught the fancy of Top Rank chief Bob Arum over the weekend in Las Vegas after he hammered out a clear-cut 10-round decision over Ramon Montano of Mexico underneath Pacquiao’s split verdict victory over Juan Manuel Marquez.

Although contracts have yet to be signed, Arum has mentioned publicly that Diaz will defend his World Boxing Council (WBC) lightweight crown against Pacquiao at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas.

After learning about Arum’s plan, Diaz vowed to train harder since he eager to beat the 29-year-old Pacquiao.

"No, not that way I fought that night," Diaz told. "I know I have to pick up my game a little more, and I know what I am capable of doing. If I can do what I am capable of doing, I know I can beat Manny Pacquiao."

Diaz said if the boxing community and Pacquiao think he is just a raw slugger and an easy prey for Pacquiao’s brand of fight, they’re all mistaken.

"Definitely, I think that’s what he thinks," said Diaz when pressed to comment about thoughts that Pacquiao will devour him easily.

"I think his camp think it’s going to be an easier fight, and I welcome that. Train hard, please train hard, because I am going to be there all 12 rounds," added Diaz, who holds a 34-1-1 win-loss-draw card with 17 knockouts.

Diaz racked up almost 200 amateur fights and was a three-time US National Golden Gloves champion and a member of the 1996 US Olympic team before turning professional after reaching the second round of the Atlanta Games.

Arum said Pacquiao will have to sacrifice just like what he did when he trained for Juan Manuel Marquez to topple Diaz.

"I think it’s a tough fight, Diaz is not the most skilled guy, certainly you know you can hit him over the head with a sledgehammer, and you can’t budge him. He never stops trying," Arum also told the same website.

"I think it’s going to be a very entertaining and tough fight. Manny is a lot quicker but I don’t see him being able to knock David out. It will be an exciting fight for the full 12 rounds," said the New York-born Hall of Fame promoter.

Pacquiao holds the WBC super-feather crown, the first three-division titlist from Asia, and will shoot for an even harder feat when he tries to take Diaz’s 130-lb title.

Pacquiao suffered a nasty cut underneath his right eyebrow when he unseated Marquez and was told by the plastic surgeon that the cut needs at least six to eight weeks to heal.

stonecold316
03-23-2008, 05:46 PM
Top RP female boxer trains for world crown

By KRISTEL SATUMBAGA

Amateur boxer Annie Albania has won two Southeast Asian Games gold medal. Now she wants a bigger one — a World Championships victory.

The flyweight Albania, who won in the 2005 Manila and 2007 Thailand biennial meet, said she has been training for the prestigious event dubbed as the Olympics in women’s boxing to create more impact in the male-dominated sport.

"Feeling ko ngayong taon ang biggest break sa aking career," Albania, 25, said.

The Banga, South Cotabato native added she has been taking her training slowly but seriously to avoid injuries and be in tip top shape in time for the event.

Albania has been recuperating from a rib injury she sustained during training months before the SEAG last December.

"Twice a week nagpapa-ultrasound ako para makita ‘yung improvement.

Sa ngayon, hinay-hinay lang ako sa training para hindi lumala," Albania said.

"Ang mahalaga lang sa akin muna ngayon ay mapanatiling kondisyon ang aking katawan," she said.

Injuries do not actually bother Albania that much, as she recounted how she still knocked out her Thai opponent in the biennial meet despite her condition.

"Sumasakit pati ang likod ko, pero hindi ko ‘yun inisip. Pag laban kasi, laban talaga. Doon lang ako naka-focus," Albania said.

Albania, a former athletics varsity at the University of the East, added she was hoping to get a couple of foreign exposures before the World Championships to measure her chances.

She also targets the prestigious World Championship gold to prove that even women can excel in the sport.

So far, the Amateur Boxing Association of the Philippines is focused on the men’s campaign for the Beijing Olympics in August.

"Handa naman akong gawin ang lahat kung sakaling hindi mabigyan ng exposure," Albania said.

"Ang mahalaga ay nagamit ko nang maayos ang aking oras para pagbutihin ang aking paghahanda."

stonecold316
03-23-2008, 05:47 PM
Cuban coach sees bright future for pugs

By WILLIE CABALLES

For Cuban coach Juan Enrique Steyners Tissert, joining the Amateur Boxing Association of the Philippines (ABAP) is a win-win situation for both himself and the Philippines.

Tissert, a veteran trainer of many Cuban champions, has been contracted by the ABAP and the Philippine Sports Commission (PSC) to help the Filipinos fulfill their dream of winning a boxing gold medal in the Olympics.

Although the 54-year-old Cuban would not promise anything but progress in the system, he is optimistic that he could help the Filipinos to attain their goal.

"I still do not know too much about Filipino boxers," Tissert admitted in halting English. "But so far, I think I am looking at a group of good boxers. In my book, if I do not like what I see in a boxer, I will not work. But with only a month with the Filipinos, I see good things."

The 54-year-old Cuban coach, who has seen so many international teams and guided foreign teams such as the Spanish Olympic team and the national teams of Qatar, Venezuela and Pakistan to victories the past years, said that the Filipinos are physically good although some refinements in their fighting tactics are still needed.

"Amateur boxing is very different from professional boxing. In professional fights, you only have to study the man you are going to fight for 12 rounds (if it is a championship bout). But in amateur boxing, you need to fight at least 16 rounds before you win the gold medal but this means that you will fight four different boxers, " he said.

Tissert said that this is the toughest part of amateur fighting.

"You will not have enough time to study your opponent, so, training to fight basically all kinds of boxers – a slugger, a tactical fighter, a lefthander, righthander, etcetera, is a must," the Cuban coach said. "And here will come your experience in fighting in international tournaments. Fighting against each other (teammates) locally will not do a boxer good. A fighter must be ready to box anyone with a specific fighting style and this is what I would like to impart to Filipino boxers."

The Cuban said that the former coach and trainer imported from Cuba, Raul Fernandez Liranza, had taught the Filipinos many things and he (Tissert) is here to fine tune those things.

"But I guess I came in a bit late for this team (RP PLDT-Smart Boxing Team). But I see something very good in this ‘young’ team. Tacuyan (Orlando Jr.) is still new and very young but he is a good student and fast learner. Tipon (Joan), Castro (Godfrey) and Basadre (Genebert) are good but need some refinements in their tactics. Boholst (Delfin) is very strong," said the Cuban.

"Basically, this team knows how to attack, counterattack and defend. But as I have said, I am still new in this team.’’

yungha
03-23-2008, 09:28 PM
re: the marquez rematch - arum's no fool. he knows that JMM's a dangerous opponent for pac and he'll do everything to protect his top moneymaker. he knows that JMM will turn 35 soon. he knows that in a few months the public will forget how the last fight ended and the clamor for an immediate rematch will die down. in a few months JMM will be just another aging bitter ex-champ while pac might possibly be the toast of the boxing world. if pac wins against diaz, he'll be the concurrent WBC lightweight and superfeatherweight champ. he'll then have 10 days to decide which of the 2 titles he'll hold on to. only then can JMM possibly fight pac in a rematch. in the meantime why not keep busy - he can fight fana or valero or guzman for their titles.

what a brawl between casamayor and katsidis. great comeback for the old warrior. you can see though that casa's fighting against time and you can see why he's desperately calling out for a big money fight with pac now.

mangtsito
03-23-2008, 11:18 PM
Question:

If, at the end of 12 rounds, one judge scores the fight with Fighter A winning over Fighter B, while the other two score the fight as a draw, will the official decision be a draw? or will Fighter A be the winner of the match?

Kid Cubao
03-24-2008, 07:50 AM
panalo si fighter A :)

may ganito pa ngang kaso: supposing at the end of the fight, one judge says fighter A wins by two points, the second says fighter B wins by one point, while the third says fighter B wins also by one point. will you still add the cumulative total of the points (which in this case will result in the same number of points for either pugilist so it'll be a draw), or will you award the victory to fighter B by virtue of getting the nod of two judges?

erichubert
03-24-2008, 09:26 AM
Question:

If, at the end of 12 rounds, one judge scores the fight with Fighter A winning over Fighter B, while the other two score the fight as a draw, will the official decision be a draw? or will Fighter A be the winner of the match?

If two judges score the fight as a draw, the match would be a majority draw. So it would be a draw, no one wins. If two judges score the fight for fighter A, and one scores it as a draw, fighter A wins by majority decision.
If one scores it for fighter A, another for fighter B and another scores it a draw, then it is a split draw.
The margin of the scores for either fighter doesn't matter in this case, a judge can score a fight for fighter A by 10 pts but if the other judges score the fight for fighter B even by only 1 pt, fighter B still wins.

Kid Cubao
03-24-2008, 09:57 AM
i see, thanks for the clarification.

stonecold316
03-26-2008, 12:46 AM
Freddie Roach hurt in LA accident
MARK MERUEÑAS, GMANews.TV
03/25/2008 | 12:17 PM
Email this | Email the Editor | Print | Digg this | Add to del.icio.us
MANILA, Philippines - Manny Pacquiao's famed boxing trainer Freddie Roach hurt his back and cracked a tooth after figuring in a road accident in Los Angeles over the weekend.

Despite this, Roach was still able to "walk away" from the scene without suffering serious injuries.

"It feels a little bit stiff after hurting my back. It was only whenever I bent over that I realized that my lower back was really sore," Roach told GMANews.TV in an overseas phone interview Tuesday morning (Manila time), adding "But I am okay. I can walk."

According to him, the incident happened at about 11 p.m. Saturday in Los Angeles (Sunday in Manila) when his Lincoln Navigator sport-utility vehicle (SUV) was hit on the side and on the back by two vehicles.

"I was driving on the freeway and a sports car crossing into the freeway on the on-ramp lost control and crossed three lanes," Roach said.

Roach said that his SUV was initially sideswiped by the incoming sports car from the opposite lane before being hit from the back by another vehicle that was on the same lane as he was.

"My car spun around twice and then I stopped in the middle," he recounted.

Roach said his vehicle skidded some 20 feet after the collision.

"Luckily, I walked away," said Roach, adding that he went directly home after the incident and his SUV had to be towed.

The two people on board the vehicle that hit Roach's SUV from the back emerged injured in the incident.

"The police officer I talked to said the woman lost an eye and the baby she was with was badly hurt," Roach said.

The American coach also quoted the driver of the sports car as admitting he lost control of the vehicle and said he would take responsibility for the road accident.

Before the incident, Roach had gone with friend Bill Keane, manager of Gerry Peñalosa, to see a boxing title match between boxers Michael Katsidis and Joel Casamayor on Saturday evening.

After the fight, the two went their separate ways as Roach drove his way home at about 10:30 p.m. Saturday, minutes before the road mishap.

Since the incident happened, Roach has been seeing a physician, who "manipulated by hand my hip joints and cracked my lower back muscles to align them since they had gone out of sequence."

Roach said he still has to undergo three more sessions with the doctor.

Aside from attending to his stressed lower back, Roach also went to see a dentist since he also suffered injuries to his mouth.

"I didn't know I cracked my tooth in half until I got home. But I already visited the dentist and the dentist said I must have been really hit so hard," Roach chuckled.

As of this posting, Roach is at his Los Angeles-based Wild Card Boxing Club overseeing its daily operations. - GMANews.TV

stonecold316
03-26-2008, 12:48 AM
WBA light heavyweight world champ Danny Green quits boxing
03/25/2008 | 11:09 AM
PERTH, Australia - WBA light heavyweight world champion Danny Green quit boxing Tuesday, saying he wanted to protect his health and spend more time with his family.

The 35-year-old Green, (25-3 with 22 knockouts) had been preparing in Sydney for a mandatory defense of his WBA title against Argentina's Hugo Garay on April 27.

"I am getting out on my terms, with my dignity and respect intact," Green said. "I have made the decision of an intelligent man — looking to 25 years in the future."

Green turned professional in 2001 after coming to prominence at the Sydney 2000 Olympics and won his first 16 bouts before a fifth-round disqualification against Germany's Markus Beyer in a WBC world title challenge in August 2003.

Green won the WBC interim super middleweight belt with a sixth-round stoppage of Canadian Eric Lucas four months later, before a second loss — this time on points — to Beyer in March 2005.

A long-anticipated bout with fellow Australian Anthony Mundine resulted in a unanimous points decision against Green in front of 30,000 spectators at Sydney in May 2006.

Green moved up to the light heavyweight division and won the WBA world title with a convincing win over Croatia's Stipe Drews in his hometown of Perth, Western Australia, last December. - AP

stonecold316
03-26-2008, 12:51 AM
Pacquiao inducted into Elorde Hall of Fame
03/25/2008 | 10:00 PM
MANILA, Philippines - World Boxing Council super featherweight champion Emmanuel “Manny" Pacquiao was inducted into the Elorde Hall of Fame Tuesday during the 8th Gabriel “Flash" Elorde Boxing Awards Night held at the Manila Hotel.

No less than President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo, who lead the induction rites, personally handed the trophy to Pacquiao, the first Filipino to be enshrined into the Elorde Boxing Hall of Fame.

The Elorde Boxing Hall of Fame is considered as the ultimate award in Philippine professional boxing.

The award was named after the first Asian to be inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame in Canosta, New York. He was also inducted into the World Boxing Hall of Fame.

Honored as Boxers of the Year in the ceremony were champions Gerry Peñalosa (WBO Bantamweight), Florante Condes (IBF minimumweight), Donnie Nietes (WBO minimumweight), and Nonito Donaire Jr (IBF super-flyweight). - GMANews.TV

stonecold316
03-26-2008, 12:53 AM
Lawmaker wants to abolish boxing in the Philippines
03/24/2008 | 10:37 PM
People may never see newly crowned WBC featherweight champion Manny Pacquiao fighting inside the ring here in the Philippines – that is, if a bill filed in the House of Representatives should become a law banning "violent sports," like boxing.

Nueva Ecija Rep. Eduardo Joson, author of House Bill No. 3743, said boxing is a dangerous sport whose basic intent is to inflict physical injury on the opponent.

He cited studies showing boxing incidents that resulted permanent damage to the fighter like brain injury and sight and hearing loss – and even death.

"Sometimes, a single punch does the damage," Joson said. "But in other cases, it is the overall effect of hundreds of punches over the many fights fought by the boxer throughout his career. For this reason, and in line with the policy of the state to promote sports for the development of a healthy and alert citizenry, the author hereby seeks to put a complete ban on boxing contest and or exhibition."

Joson also noted that fame and money a few successful boxers sends a tempting message to the youth, especially those who belong to poor families.

"Many young boys are lured to go into boxing because of that," he said.

The bill seeks to penalize a boxer with prision correccional (six months and one day to six years) and fine of not less than P200 but not more than P6,000.

Joson said no amount of money can compensate for permanent brain damage and premature death of a boxer.

Last year, boxer Angelito Sisnorio, a native of Koronadal City, died after getting head injuries in a bout in Thailand . - Fidel Jimenez, GMANews.TV

CM_Punk
03-26-2008, 09:17 AM
^ That boxing ban proposal sure as hell ain't gonna happen, that's for sure* ::)

nastrans
03-26-2008, 09:06 PM
Boxing injuries right now are not anymore as fatal as it was in the past and society will always appreciate the sport no matter what.

As for the Casamayor fight, what a comeback I guess Katsidis was a bit overzealous. Big knockdown by the 36-year old in the 10th before ending it with a barrage of hits.

It was nice to see Luisito Espinosa back on TV after a long time, long overdue recognition by the Elordes. I think after losing that bout to Soto in Mexico, he never returned to the country.

Kid Cubao
03-27-2008, 08:12 AM
^^ he also had a long drawn-out feud with erstwhile manager hermie rivera over, reports say, his wife's meddling in luisito's financial affairs. good thing luisito and hermie rivera have since patched things up.

about representative joson's proposal, he should instead consult with boxing insiders and sports scientists on how to reduce the incidence of fatal injuries in the sport and then, based on their findings and recommendations, make the necessary legislative steps--if indeed they are needed.

nastrans
03-27-2008, 03:44 PM
Plus "Lindol" has to dispute some purse that wasn't paid to him a decade ago, and here's a Luisito interview.

FORMER TWO-DIVISION CHAMP ESPINOSA HOME AT LAST
dennis PRINCIPE
Wednesday, 26 March 2008

REMEMBER Luisito Espinosa?

One of country’s two-division world champion is back in town after staying in the United States for 10 years.

“Masaya ako at nakabalik ako dito sa bansa natin. Nakakatuwa dahil nakita ko ulit yung mga tao na nakilala ko nung world champion pa ako,” said Espinosa in an interview.

Espinosa left the country in early 1998 after he was not paid for his successful world title defense against Carlos Rios last December 1997 in Koronadal, South Cotabato.

“Sana mabayaran na ako kasi pinaghirapan ko din naman yun. Ang hinihingi ko lang naman ay yung kung ano ang dapat para sa akin,”: said Espinosa.

Espinosa attended Tuesday night’s 8th Annual Flash Elorde Banquet of Champions awards night highlighted by the enshrinement of current boxing idol Manny Pacquiao as the event’s first ever hall of famer. He arrived unnoticed Monday morning from San Francisco the same time Pacquiao arrived in the country from Los Angeles.

“Wala ngang nakakilala sa kaniya nung dumating probably because all eyes were on Manny who arrived almost the same time as Louie,” said Liza Elorde wife of the late Elorde’s son Johnny who was instrumental in inviting Espinosa fly home.

Espinosa however said he felt the adoration of his countrymen when dozens of autograph seekers approached him during the awards night.

“Nagpapasalamat ako at may nakakakilala pa sa akin. Sa pakiramdam ko hindi pa din nasayang yung hirap ko para mabigyan ng karangalan ang bansa natin,” said Espinosa.

Espinosa plans to pursue his case currently pending at the sala of Judge Rosario Cruz of the Manila Regional Trial court Branch 173 involving his unpaid fight purse of $150,000.

Respodents of the case are fight promoter Rod Nazario, matchmaker Lito Mondejar and former South Cotabato governor Hilario de Pedro.

The agreement states that as promoter, Nazario "guarantees the purse of $150,000 and training expenses of $10,000 for Luisito Espinosa".

It was signed by Nazario, Espinosa’s namanger Joe Koizumi and a certain Jose Pring, Jr. representing De Pedro.

Part of the documents presented by Espinosa’s lawyer Dennis Manzanal was a Letter of Guarantee signed by De Pedro and Nazario endorsed by then Games and Amusement Board Chairman Dominador Cepeda.

When the case was actively heard sometime in 2005, Nazario reiterated his argument that he merely accommodated Koizumi and De Pedro as both of them had no domestic license to promote the fight.

Espinosa, 41, won the World Boxing Association (WBA) bantamweight crown in October 1989 by stopping legendary local legend Khaokor Galaxy in a single round in Thailand then annexed the World Boxing Council (WBC) featherweight championship via 12-round decision win over Mexican Manuel Medina December of 1995.

Espinosa defended the WBC belt seven times in a span of nearly four years before losing the belt via controversial 12-round decision to another Mexican Cesar Soto in May 1999 in El Paso, Texas.

Now working as a stockman in Cosco, the green card-holder Espinosa ended his illustrious career with a record of 47-13 with 26 knockouts.

http://www.sportsnews.ph/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=619&Itemid=1

stonecold316
03-30-2008, 01:39 AM
Pacquiao is king of pay-per-view

LOS ANGELES—Manny Pacquiao is the pay-per-view king of the lighter weight divisions.

According to HBO, which telecast Pacquiao’s March 15 rematch with Mexican Juan Manuel Marquez in Las Vegas, there were 400,000 buys that amounted to a little over $ 20 million.

"Still, the figures are higher than Pacquiao’s fights with (Erik) Morales (twice) and (Marco Antonio) Barrera," said Top Rank chief Bob Arum from New York, where he presided over a press conference for Kelly Pavlik’s next fight.

Pavlik shares the spotlight with Pacquiao over at the Top Rank banner.

Arum noted that when Pacquiao faced Morales and Barrera, it did not reach the 400,000 plateau although it was still a smashing success with 350,000 to 380,000 buys in each fights.

Based on the contract Pacquiao signed with Top Rank for the Marquez rematch, he is entitled to a share in the profit generated by the successful joint promotion between Top Rank and Oscar De La Hoya’s Golden Boy Promotions.

Apart from the guaranteed paycheck of $ 5 million, Pacquiao also has a cut in the closed circuit—a first time for a Pacquiao fight--and ticket sales.

The 400,000 PPV buys is the biggest number south of the welterweight class.

mangtsito
03-30-2008, 08:51 PM
about representative joson's proposal, he should instead consult with boxing insiders and sports scientists on how to reduce the incidence of fatal injuries in the sport and then, based on their findings and recommendations, make the necessary legislative steps--if indeed they are needed.*

Actually, we can safely say that Rep. Joson never was serious in filing the bill. The man is a traditional politician who goes by every election purely on name recall. He's not stupid - he himself knows that the bill will go nowhere. But the publicity it will generate - no matter how small - will surely help him build political capital.

yungha
04-08-2008, 07:46 AM
now you know why manny was smart not to sign with golden boy promotions. they're more adept at organizing circuses than real honest-to-goodness boxing cards. they come up with catchy titles like Invasion: Philippines vs the World then bring in tomato cans to be slaughtered by our rising stars. of all the foreigners, only caril herrera seemed legit as he is the WBC #2 contender. unfortunately, our 19-year old AJ Banal was just too quick and powerful for him. boom boom's a real blue chip prospect but we're not doing him any favors by matching him up against bums like camargo. give him 2 real tough fights vets and he'll be ready for another title shot within a year.

then golden boy brings in marquez who flies halfway around the world begging for a rematch, trying to taunt manny into a rematch like we're at WWE. geez, have some dignity man.

Kid Cubao
04-08-2008, 08:14 AM
marami talagang sablay sa nangyaring event ng golden boy productions. una, juan manuel marquez had no business here since he wasn't fighting at all. sabi nga ng ibang na-interview sa rayo at TV, kung si JMM nagkamaling nanghamon sa mga looban ng cubao, malamang na-tubo na yan sa sentido nang di nya namamalayan. it's so bush league and unbecoming to be engaging in such sideshow antics to a sport that is just slowly regaining credibility, which in large part can be credited to manny pacquaio and his ongoing crusade against the best of latin america.

ikalawa, who were these fighters brought in by the organizers? if this is the outfit's way of currying favor with local fighters to sign up, then it would be advised for them to see golden boy through and wait for other options down the road.

stonecold316
04-17-2008, 06:44 PM
'Bazooka' Banal may get WBC ranking

World Boxing Council (WBC) President Don Jose Sulaiman was impressed with AJ "Bazooka" Banal’s win over WBC No. 2 ranked Caril Herrera at the "Invasion" card last April 6 at the Araneta Coliseum.

In a report posted on www.philboxing.com, Sulaiman said Banal, who is not in the WBC rankings, would "definitely" break into its list of ranked boxers after the Filipino scored an impressive fourth round technical knock-out (TKO) over Herrera.

Banal is currently rated No. 6 by the WBA, No. 7 by the IBF and No. 4 by the WBO.

Before facing Banal, Herrera had a record of 21-0 with 13 knockouts. He, however, absorbed his first loss after the Filipino pummelled him to defeat at 1:18 of Round Four.

With the win, Banal improved his record to 17-0-1 with 14 knockouts.

Banal could also be in line for a title shot against reigning champion Dimitri Kirilov, who will defend his title against Australia’s Vic Darchinyan reportedly in July.

However, boxing patron Tony Aldeguer made it clear he does not plan to rush Banal for a title shot.

Aldeguer said they will be priming Banal up with a couple of fights more before throwing him into the "big league."

yungha
04-22-2008, 11:30 AM
a funny thing happened on the way to the latest WBC superflyweight rankings - AJ Banal did break into the rankings at #13 while Caril Herrera dropped to #5. so banal isn't even in the top 10 while the guy he nearly murdered over 4 brutal, one-sided rounds is still in the top 5. labo mehn.

erichubert
04-22-2008, 12:01 PM
Aldeguer is doing a good job in grooming Banal. Kitang kita yung progression niya after every fight, his opponents get tougher and tougher. I think they have learned their lesson with what happened to Boom Boom.

I don't think the rankings are really a good gauge of the abilities of boxers, minsan politics na din yan.

yungha
04-26-2008, 01:04 AM
manny's been invited by chinese officials to visit the venues for the upcoming olympics in beijing. this invitation is in recognition of his being a symbol of asian sporting excellence, and rightfully so. he is, after all, the first and only Asian 3-division world boxing champion.

rumor has it that juan manuel marquez will follow manny to beijing and is studying how to say you know i won that fight, i want a rematch in mandarin.

mangtsito
04-27-2008, 06:55 AM
^ Now, now.... don't give that loser any ideas. ;D

john_paul_manahan
04-27-2008, 04:20 PM
kudos to bernabe concepcion who defended his NABF title earlier today in mexico.

King_stag
04-27-2008, 08:43 PM
Pinoy boxer scores TKO over US foe

Abs-cbnnews.com

Filipino boxer Bernabe Concepcion inched closer to a title shot against IBF champion Steve “The Canadian Kid” Molitor with a spectacular second round TKO over American Torrence Daniels in Queretaro, Mexico, Saturday (Sunday in Manila).

According to Philboxing.com, it was a title defense for the 20-year-old Bernabe who holds the North American Boxing Federation super bantamweight belt.

Though Daniels was regarded by Top Rank honcho Bob Arum as a “tough opponent with surgeon-like skills,” Concepcion proved to be the stronger boxer as he tagged the American with a right hook to the body. Daniels crumpled afterwards.

Daniels got up in time for the count but Concepcion gave out a strong finisher and hit the American with a right to the face. Daniels was already down by the time referee Ruben Carrion stopped the fight.

Arum said that with the win, Concepcion could get a title fight, likely to be against Molitor, before the “next end of the year.”

For his part, WBC president Don Jose Sulaiman said Mexican fight fans have been impressed by the performance of Concepcion.

Sulaiman also said that he was impressed with the Filipino’s win over Juan Ruiz in his previous fight, saying that Concepcion “connected with the cleaner and more telling blows.”

-Conception is rock solid, he never slows down. Seen his previous bouts, all I can say is he is a world champ in the making. Hopefuly his promoters can handle his upcoming matches well.

cub
05-04-2008, 11:52 AM
it seems nobody's interested with that Dela Hoya-Forbes fight. anyways, the Golden Boy won the match via unanimous decision. 119-109, 119-109 and 120-108.

MonL
05-05-2008, 12:06 AM
it seems nobody's interested with that Dela Hoya-Forbes fight. anyways, the Golden Boy won the match via unanimous decision. 119-109, 119-109 and 120-108.

This was just supposed to be another quick buck fight for Oscar before another big-money fight with Mayweather.

It was a surprise to me that it went the distance. Even if Forbes had only 9 KOs in his 33 wins, he had a granite chin that withstood Oscar's attacks and such very good handspeed that he put welts on the Golden Boy's pretty face. He got an uppercut through in the middle to late rounds that would have kayoed Oscar cold had it been made by a more powerful opponent.

pio_valenz
05-05-2008, 11:43 PM
^It was a surprise to me that ABS-CBN even bothered to cover it. The only highlight of this utterly boring card was the nickname of this totally unknown fighter who fought in the undercard: The Golden Child. Talk about a Dela Hoya wannabe! :D

mangtsito
05-06-2008, 08:51 AM
Meron akong napanood dati sa Mano-mano Pro Boxing yata. Ang pangalan ng boxer "Ricky Balboa".

Real name yun ha. ;D

yungha
05-21-2008, 12:39 PM
June 2008 may turn out to be another banner month for pinoy pro boxing like July 2007, when on the 7th of that month (7-7-07) donaire and condes ended the 5-year pinoy world boxing title drought.

on june 18, AJ Banal (or as gerry penalosa calls him, EG Banal) guns for the WBA superflyweight title versus rafael concepcion of panama. then there's the pac-diaz fight which requires no further elaboration.

Bazooka Banal is special and might approximate or surpass pac's global success. at this point i think he's a much better prospect than boom boom. this is a good opportunity for him and i think he'll win, considering the less-than-impressive credentials of his opponent. he'll win the title, but defending it will be a problem. holding the title will make him a target. he'll be lined up for big money fights against the big guns like mijares, kirilov, montiel, darchinyan, the japs nashiro and kono, munoz, etc. and it's these types of fights that i'm apprehensive about. banal's good, but he's still young, inexperienced and unpolished. he could get KO'd fighting these big guns. ideally he should wait another 2 years before challenging for a title. but aldeguer's smart enough to know that you don't just turn down opportunities like these as fortune favors the brave in boxing. so best of luck to bazooka. give us another title, AJ!

bchoter
05-21-2008, 12:51 PM
I saw the HAwaiian Punch win by knock out last saturday. I hope he makes it back on top.

stonecold316
05-22-2008, 06:00 PM
Diaz vows to beat Pacquiao
By NICK GIONGCO

David Diaz vows not to hand the World Boxing Council (WBC) lightweight crown to Manny Pacquiao on a silver platter.

"He’s a great champion but he’s fighting in my division—lightweight," Diaz told Chicago Sun-Times staffer Roman Modrowski in an article that came out yesterday, the eve of the face-off at Federal Plaza between him and the Filipino icon. "I have worked too hard for this world title and I will not give it up to him."

"Manny Pacquiao has beaten many great fighters, especially Mexicans like Morales, [Marco Antonio] Barrera and [Juan Manuel] Marquez," said Diaz, who will be staking the WBC 135-lb throne for the second time on June 28 at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas. "I will shock the world and beat Pacquiao at his own game, power for power."

Pacquiao and Diaz will hold a joint press conference at Lalo’s Restaurant at 10:30 a.m. of Wednesday then they’ll proceed to Federal Plaza for a pep rally.

Top Rank chairman Bob Arum flew with Pacquiao on board a private plane of Million Air from Burbank early Tuesday night and they were expected to land in Chicago just before midnight.

Also with Pacquiao and Arum in the chartered flight were trainer Freddie Roach, training assistant Buboy Fernandez and Tony Walker, a high-ranking executive of HBO Sports.

Before heading to Windy City, Pacquiao sparred for four rounds, according to Roach, who opted to tap two other fighters instead of ex-champ Freddie Norwood.

Roach said he’s satisfied with the way Pacquiao conducted business on top of the ring.

"Manny looked very good in sparring," said the 48-year-old cornerman from Boston.

From Chicago, Pacquiao will fly back to Los Angeles at 4 p.m. also of Wednesday, said Arum, who will next join Pacquiao on a promotional tour next week when they visit San Francisco, which has a large Filipino and Mexican population, on another chartered flight.

Arum said Diaz would also be flown in to the Bay Area from Chicago to drum up more interest in the slugfest dubbed "Lethal Combination."

The last stop of the one-day promo tour will be San Diego and this will take place in the second week of June.

King_stag
05-30-2008, 10:12 PM
Manny’s new spar mate gets rude welcome

The Philippine Star

Manny Pacquiao sparred 10 rounds with three different boxers Wednesday at the Wild Card Gym and gave the newest member of the training camp, Juan Rodriguez, a bloody welcome.

According to a Team Pacquiao member, Rodriguez, a lefty who moves like David Diaz, suffered a bloody nose after three hard rounds with the Pinoy superstar who "moved so well on the ring."

Even Pacquiao’s shirt which he wore during sparring had Rodriguez’ blood on it, according to the source.

Pacquiao, who shoots for the WBC lightweight crown against Diaz on June 28 in Las Vegas, also sparred three rounds with Steve Quinones and four with Gary McMillen.

Pacquiao sparred eight rounds last Monday, and has logged a total of 38 rounds just a month before the fight. He said he plans to spar no less than 120 rounds for the coming fight.

Pacquiao, who normally spars on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, has changed his schedule to M-W-F only for this week as he prepares for another promotional tour in California on May 31.

If plans push through, Pacquiao and Diaz will hold public workouts on Saturday (Sunday in Manila) at the West-Wind Event Center at 1551 University Ave. in Berkeley, California.

Less than two weeks ago, the two fighters were in Chicago, Diaz’ hometown, for a press conference and a pep rally drumming up the highly awaited showdown.

CM_Punk
06-29-2008, 12:12 PM
Congrats to Manny Pacquiao! ;) Very glad that he is focused on boxing, and not on politics like last year.

lurkinggood
06-29-2008, 12:14 PM
Manny Pacquiao just finished David Diaz in 9 rounds. It was too one-sided as Manny was too fast for Diaz' style. During the interview after the fight, Diaz said he could take Manny's punches but the speed....?!! "SYET, he was focking too fast!" *.

flsfnoeraekadad
06-29-2008, 12:43 PM
Galing ni Pacman. Parang pagkatapos ng payt nya na yon, kaya pa nyang lumaban ng isa pang payt.

Kid Cubao
06-29-2008, 12:51 PM
... During the interview after the fight, Diaz said he could take Manny's punches but the speed....?!! "SYET, he was focking too fast!"

malamang wala pa sa sarili si diaz nung sinabing kaya nya yung mga suntok ni manny. he was out like a lamp after he ducked rght into pacquiao's waiting left, di na nga binilangan ng referee ;D

flsfnoeraekadad
06-29-2008, 01:03 PM
Nakakita na ko ng pictures, kawawa si Diaz sobra.

And pagkatapos nung payt ni Manny, ugung-ugungan na kasama daw nya yung ilang key players ng C's mag-celebrate. I think they were the Big 3 + Rondo + E.T.

batangueño
06-29-2008, 01:45 PM
Ha? Bandwagoneer pala si Pekyaw? :o ;D

Kid Cubao
06-29-2008, 02:13 PM
^^ mukhang baligtad ang pagkaintindi mo. yung mga celtic players yung nakiki-celebrate with pacquaio, not the other way around.

batangueño
06-29-2008, 02:22 PM
^^ mukhang baligtad ang pagkaintindi mo. yung mga celtic players yung nakiki-celebrate with pacquaio, not the other way around.

Ah. Pasensiya na, Kabayang Kid Cubao. Ang alam ko kasi maka-Spurs yang si Pekyaw so I was quite surprised nung biglang nakabit ang mga Boston Celtics players sa kanya. ;)

Kid Cubao
06-29-2008, 02:30 PM
^^ i think certain celtic players were in town and actually bought tickets to watch the pacquiao fight. nung nanalo si manny, eh di naki-celebrate din sila. para silang si vandolph nung nagcha-champion ang ginebra during the marlou-noli-gonzalgo-loyzaga-jawo years ;D

batangueño
06-29-2008, 02:33 PM
Ayos din si Pekyaw ha. Mga Boston Celtics players pa ang kasama niya sa victory party niya sa Vegas. Huwag lang lalapit ang mga C's kay Chavit, ayos na ang lahat. ;D

Thanks nga pala for the correction, Kabayang Kid Cubao. :)

reforms
06-29-2008, 04:09 PM
Yep! saw it on tv! close na sila! hehe. andun ung big 3, si rondo and cassell!

mabilis lang daw si manny sabi ni diaz. kung bilis lang, bakit ung muka nya nagkaganun? ;D

flsfnoeraekadad
06-29-2008, 04:20 PM
Kobe was also there. Of course with the customary pics with Manny. Pareho ata silang endorser ng Nike.

gameface_one
06-29-2008, 07:29 PM
Anybody knows when and where I can watch the reply on Skycable?

aircanda
06-29-2008, 08:58 PM
cassell was screaming.. PACMAN! PACMAN! PACMAN!

nastar-struck kay pacman! ;D

JonarSabilano
06-30-2008, 07:10 AM
Caught the replay last night. As with almost all of Pacman's knockout punches, Diaz didn't see it coming. Ako mismo, hindi ko nakita. One second, Diaz was standing, then he's on the canvas the next. Pacquiao's strength is really deceptive.

mangtsito
06-30-2008, 07:49 AM
^^ i think certain celtic players were in town and actually bought tickets to watch the pacquiao fight. nung nanalo si manny, eh di naki-celebrate din sila. para silang si vandolph nung nagcha-champion ang ginebra during the marlou-noli-gonzalgo-loyzaga-jawo years ;D

The story is, Pacquiao was publicly rooting for the Celtics all along despite being based in L.A. But he was unable to watch some of the NBA Finals games in L.A. due to his training schedule.

He wanted to provide tickets to the Celtics to watch him fight, but when Mandalay Bay management heard of his plans, they told him that he need not worry because they are the ones who will provide the tickets. I think the arrangement is packaged as part of the "reward" for the Celtics for winning the NBA Championship.

Funny thing about the photo-op, they had Pacquiao stand on a chair in order to be on the same height as the cagers....but he still ended up being shorter than Garnett ;D

bigfreeze_bibby
06-30-2008, 10:59 AM
Meron kayang site where I can see these pictures?

BigBlue
06-30-2008, 11:40 AM

The story is, Pacquiao was publicly rooting for the Celtics all along despite being based in L.A. But he was unable to watch some of the NBA Finals games in L.A. due to his training schedule.

He wanted to provide tickets to the Celtics to watch him fight, but when Mandalay Bay management heard of his plans, they told him that he need not worry because they are the ones who will provide the tickets. I think the arrangement is packaged as part of the "reward" for the Celtics for winning the NBA Championship.

Funny thing about the photo-op, they had Pacquiao stand on a chair in order to be on the same height as the cagers....but he still ended up being shorter than Garnett ;D

nakakatuwang makita, na yung mga NBA players pa yung parang star-struck kay Pacquiao!

The_Big_Cat
06-30-2008, 11:58 AM
Pacquiao will defend his new WBC Lightweight crown this November. It looks like it will be Edwin Valero who has secured a permit to fight in Texas already and is current applying in Nevada. Valero's wins all came via knockout, also a southpaw and 2 years younger.

tigerman
06-30-2008, 12:13 PM
On the Pacman-Diaz match:
This is probably the best Pacman match we've seen since his 2 ko wins over Erik Morales. Manny showed his vast improvements in other areas like his right hand and defense. That right jab kept Diaz off throughout the match and his footwork and head movements helped him avoid the punches of the ex-champ. Kudos as well to Roach, Neri and Fernandez. To cut the long story short, wala na yung old bara-barang Manny Pacquiao. ;D

I did not have the privilege of watching the great Filipino boxers like Pancho Villa and Gabriel "Flash" Elorde (who many considers as the best Pinoy boxer ever). But after this win of Pacquiao over Diaz to become the first Asian to win titles in 4 different weight divisions, can we now safely say that Manny is the best Pinoy boxer ever?

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

mangtsito
06-30-2008, 12:30 PM
^ I still have my reservations.

Pancho Villa, during his heyday, fought something like 17 fights a year - this was at a time when gloves were thinner and fights were longer than the 12 round limit that we now have as standard.

mangtsito
06-30-2008, 12:39 PM
Pacquiao will defend his new WBC Lightweight crown this November. It looks like it will be Edwin Valero who has secured a permit to fight in Texas already and is current applying in Nevada. Valero's wins all came via knockout, also a southpaw and 2 years younger.

I'd rather he face Valero than Hatton. Manny doesn't really need to prove anything, but for the sake of his fans and detractors, a fight with Valero might prove to be more exciting. Anyway, they're all following Manny to the lightweight division.

erichubert
06-30-2008, 01:42 PM
Valero would be an exciting fight but a very dangerous one. The kids packs a mean punch, for this fight Manny really has to improve his defense more. With the way Manny is improving nowadays, the only way he could lose if his opponent gets him with a clean punch and knocks him out and Valero has that ability so he has to be very careful.

sa_pula
06-30-2008, 02:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc_zaPRZFsA

pacquiao and the celtics..

Meny!Meny!meny!...hehe

Pacquiao: My dream is come true..hehe

hindi pala uubra mga brawler style kay pacman.Isa sa mga naghahamon kay pacquiao sa lightweight eh si Juan "BabyBull"Diaz..Parang improved version lang to ni David Diaz, pero kapag nakaharap ni manny to sigurado magiging corn beef mukha nito..

erichubert
06-30-2008, 02:32 PM
Brawler style would be the perfect style for Manny, he can just pick his spots, move in and out and land the big punches. Plus Manny is essentially a brawler before being converted into a boxer, his punch is still as strong as anybody. The countering style of Marquez would be the hardest match-up for Manny.

The way I see it, Manny's next opponents would be Valero, then Marquez part 3, then Hatton.

stonecold316
06-30-2008, 03:46 PM
Pacquiao cements his place as a legend

By RONNIE NATHANIELSZ

Filipino ring idol and national treasure Manny Pacquiao cemented his place among the legends of boxing with a spectacular ninth round knockout over Mexican-American David Diaz before Pacquiao’s wildly cheering countrymen at the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino in Las Vegas.

Pacquiao, who has been described by boxing writers as the “Mexecutioner” because of his demolition of Mexican legends Marco Antonio Barrera, Erik “El Terrible Morales and Juan Manuel Marquez and battered pretenders like undefeated Jorge Solis, Hector Velasquez, Emmanuel Lucero and Gabriel Mira, lived up to his billing by an execution-style annihilation of the game but utterly outclassed Diaz.

A crowd of 8,326 watched Pacquiao fulfill his quest to re-write history by becoming the first Filipino and indeed the first Asian to win four world titles, not counting the Ring Magazine featherweight championship which he won when he mauled Marco Antonio Barrera into submission in 11 rounds in November 2003 at the Alamadome in Texas, home of the San Antonio Spurs..

This time around it was the NBA champions Boston Celtics who were at special ringside to cheer Pacquiao who had invited them to watch the fight. Pacquiao endeared himself to the Celtics when, despite training in Los Angeles, he picked the Celtics as his favorite team to beat the Lakers and when they did their admiration for one another was strengthened even further.

Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Ray Allen went into Pacquiao’s crowded dressing room after the fight to congratulate the No.1 pound-for-pound fighter in the world who put on a display that overwhelmingly justified his Ring Magazine choice. Even if Floyd Mayweather Jr. hadn’t retired, editor-in-chief Nigel Collins would have had a hard time not recognizing Pacquiao as No.1 based on his near flawless performance against Diaz.

Pacquiao, who plays basketball with almost the same passion as he displays in the ring, said he was “so happy to see my idols, the Boston Celtics.”

Despite moving up to 135 pounds, Pacquiao’s speed didn’t seem to diminish at all, especially against a much slower Diaz, who himself admitted he didn’t see the cracking left hook that dropped him face down in the ninth round after Pacquiao set him up with a stinging right straight.

It was as clinical an execution fight fans could ever witness and it began from the opening bell when Pacquiao exploded with vicious combinations that accentuated his speed. Pacquiao, whose skills have been honed to perfection by celebrated trainer Freddie Roach, showed exemplary footwork, new-found weapons in the hook and the uppercut and a stinging right straight that went with his devastating left.

No chance

Following Roach’s fight-plan throughout, Pacquiao didn’t allow Diaz the luxury of getting him pinned against the ropes and bludgeoned with body shots but spun out of trouble on a few occasions he was driven there and kept the fight in the center of the ring where his vaunted speed, literally killed any hope that Diaz nursed in his courageous heart.

Round after round, Pacquiao ripped into the 1996 Olympian in a gold medal performance, inflicted a cut across the bridge of the lightweight champion’s nose and then opened up a nasty gash on his right eyebrow that began to ooze with blood prompting referee Vic Drakulich to have the ringside physician take a look at it not once but twice.

Instructed by assistant trainer Buboy Fernandez to feint with the right and then throw an uppercut, Pacquiao hurt Diaz in round eight. When Diaz went to his corner at the end of the round he was seen shaking his head in disbelief.

Pacquiao sensed by this time that the fight had been taken out of the game Diaz. After rocking Diaz with a right he threw a right straight and as the 135-pound champion moved forward, Pacquiao cracked him with a thunderous, perfectly-timed left hook sending Diaz crashing to the canvas flat on his face. Drakulich counted Diaz out at 2:24 of round nine.

In a post-fight interview, Pacquiao said it was not easy to move up in weight but he was “lucky that God gave me the strength” Pacquiao said he felt “stronger” at 135 pounds and “it would be better to stay at 135 or I can fight at 140 pounds.”

He said he was “not worried about taking the punches” of the naturally heavier Diaz although he credited Diaz with being “the toughest opponent I ever had. I was surprised that he took a lot of strong punches, power punches and still stood up.” Later on Pacquiao conceded “he did hurt me one time during the fight.”

Not that fast?

Diaz said he didn’t think Pacquiao “was that fast.” He said he “saw Manny getting a little tired a little bit at the end” and said to himself his tactic of trying to wear Pacquiao down was working but “he caught me with a good shot and that’s the way it goes. Sometimes you got to go out and say he was the better man tonight.”

Diaz admitted he didn’t see the punch that decked him, coming. “I was thinking he doesn’t hit that hard and then I was on the floor and I looked up and said what the heck. My hats off to him (Pacquiao). He is a great, great fighter and more than what I expected. You got to tip your hat off to him and say you are f—king good and that’s what Manny was.”

Top Rank promoter Bob Arum said “Manny is a great fighter and when he trains hard like he did, there’s nobody that can beat him. He really is a phenomenon. People say he is the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world. I believe he is.”

Arum said at present there are a lot of good lightweights for Pacquiao to fight but that WBA super featherweight champion Edwin Valero who has won all his fights by knockout would be a good fight. He also mentioned lightweight champion Nate Campbell.

Arum said Pacquiao’s lifestyle in the past was a drawback and that he and Roach had decided to put him in the gym in Los Angeles because there is no training in the Philippines anymore. Arum pointed out “look the shape he is in. Look how many punches he threw and didn’t get tired.”

For Roach who had predicted Pacquiao would win by a knockout in the eighth or ninth round his prized possession carried out his fight plan “to the tee." He said: "I am very proud of Manny.”

Pacquiao dedicated his victory to the victims of the recent devastating typhoon and said his “inspiration was drawn from those who suffered” even as he promised to provide whatever help he could when he returns home.

Pacquiao succeeded where the late great Hall-of-Famer Gabriel “Flash” Elorde failed when he twice fought Puerto Rican Carlos Ortiz for the world lightweight title and was stopped on both occasions in the 14th round, the second by knockout which was the first in Elorde’s illustrious career as world junior lightweight champion for almost seven-and-a-half years.

The_Big_Cat
06-30-2008, 03:59 PM
Edwin Valero is the current WBA Superfeatherweight king while Manny holds the WBC belt.
Definitely, if you're looking for an exciting fight for Manny it has got to be Valero. It would be in the 135 pound limit. But if Manny is looking for money it has to be Ricky Hatton at the 140 pound.

I think Manny should not rush things and not go to the 140 pound level. Manny is better off fighting in the 135 pound. There are a lot of great fighters in the 130-135 level that can also be profitable for Pacquiao.

The more logical choice right now has to be Edwin Valero while Manny is young.

BigBlue
06-30-2008, 05:10 PM
go for Valero, then Campbell for the undisputed title. after that, i think he'd be ready to get Hatton.

tigerman
06-30-2008, 07:27 PM
At what weight division should the Pacman-Valero fight be in? I think Manny should be wary of fighting again at the 130 pound division. He might suffer the fate of Erik Morales who decided to fight Manny at the super-featherweight division despite being used to the lightweight division already.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

Howard the Duck
06-30-2008, 07:33 PM
we want hatton!!! :D

pio_valenz
06-30-2008, 07:53 PM
I absolutely loved the "Is There No One Else?" series of signs hoisted by a group of Pinoys. :D

Jeep
06-30-2008, 08:14 PM
basta ako, nakakainggit na ka-kodak niya ang mga celtics!* ;D

(some guy off-cam says to KG of pacman: "he's your number one fan." to which the big ticket replies: "well, i'm his number one fan, too!"* :)* )

bchoter
06-30-2008, 08:25 PM
Si Kobe bandwaggoner :D

Sana nga si Hatton ang kalbanin niya. Kaya lang ang tangkad ni Nap.

oca
06-30-2008, 09:21 PM
Though this win was impressive, I wouldn't be too sure that Manny will do as impressive at this weight in future fights.

Fact is, with all those clean shots and amazing combinations, it took all of 9 rounds before Diaz went down.

Diaz himself said, at initial rounds, he knew he can take Manny's punches. But not the accumulation of it as the fight progressed.

So, if Manny encounters someone who knows how to move side to side and/or parry punches walang "accumulation of hits" na magaganap. Then, things may be a little bit scary for us.

Obviously, nobody expected Manny to retain the speed, both hand and footwork, he had at 130 or 124. Obviously, the Diaz camp didn't prepare for that. They thought that Manny will not be moving much and throwing so many punches and they are more than willing to engage in exchanges.

Pero talagang mabilis ang manok natin.

Ngayong alam na nang lahat na nariyan pa ang hand speed at footwork, pero yung power ay di kasing bisa kontra sa 130/ 124 fighters, future opponents will device an appropriate fight plan.

yungha
06-30-2008, 11:11 PM
^ true. let's not get ahead of ourselves. pac's win, while impressive, came against a second-tier fighter. i believe though that pac will grow into this new weight 1 or 2 fights down the road just like he did when he moved up to 126 then 130. then he'll be more dangerous.

arum's shrewd. he's pushing for a valero fight, why? valero, while undefeated, is an unintelligent, unskilled, one-dimensional fighter. he doesn't have the footwork nor the ability to adjust in-fight. yes he has power but against pac he'll be throwing haymakers into thin air given pac's speed and with his awkward stance he'll be peppered with jabs and uppercuts. arum will promote the fight as the fight of the year, a battle royale between 2 knockout artists when in reality it'll be another mismatch between an elite fighter and a clueless punk who'll be perfect fodder for pac's power punches. then the legend of pac will continue the grow, the better to build greater mystique in getting bigger-money fights.