PDA

View Full Version : The Music Thread

Pages : [1] 2

5FootCarrot
05-15-2007, 10:36 AM
Since we have an all-new board for non-hoops topics (thank you, site admins! :-*), I figure it's OK to start a thread just for discussions about music. :)

Here are the CDs I've been thinking about buying:

Chris Daughtry's CD The Smithereens' Beatles tribute album The Dreamgirls soundtrack The Sweet Escape (or whatever it's called?) by Gwen Stefani

I'm really not sure about the Gwen Stefani album because, even though I like her, I don't really like the carrier single. Better try to listen to it some more before buying.

However, I am definitely going to buy the new Beastie Boys album when it comes out (reportedly next month). I hear they're going back to their older sound from the late '80s/early '90s, which sounds pretty darn good to me! :)

bigfreeze_bibby
05-15-2007, 10:48 AM
Wala na kong binibiling CD's ngayon puro mp3's na lang (puro downloads in short). Sulit ang pag search sa multiply since dun ko nakuha yung mga medyo mid-90's alternative rock music na hinanap ko. Examples are Teeth, The Youth, The Breed, Backdraft, Razorback, Datu's Tribe and many others.

Wala lang akong makita sa multiply na may mp3's ni Randy Santiago. Puro babaero lang yung mp3's niya dun. Baka naman matulungan nyo kong makakuha ng links. Thanks in advance.

JonarSabilano
05-15-2007, 10:57 AM
Ako naman, puro Jeff Buckley ang dinadownload ngayon, lalo na 'yung "Grace" album. You gotta love the guy. Ganda ng mga cover niya.

Speaking of hard-to-find MP3s, nakahanap ako ng "Bolero Medley" ni Celeste Legaspi on a hip-hop website. If you're wondering how it got there, may ginamit na sample from that song sa "Kick, Push" ni Lupe Fiasco (kasama rin sa Live 07 soundtrack ito -- one of my favorite game OST's, pero ibang topic na 'yun. Hehe). Lupe Fiasco's producer, Soundtrakk, is half-Pinoy.

Mikhail
05-15-2007, 11:16 AM
Ako basta OPM I always buy orig. Yung last ko nabili yung latest album ng Brownman Revival.

Kapag foreign, wala akong paki sa download. Ilagay lang lahat sa torrent queue. :)

Bennie Bangag
05-15-2007, 11:18 AM
bigfreeze, marami kasing babaero sa mundo kaya nakakarelate sila sa kantang yan ;D pero kung inaalat ka sa paghanap ng mga mp3 nya, bumili ka na lang ng mga vicor reissues ni randy. available yan sa mga record stores ngayon.

for me, the most satisfying rock CD i purchased in the last year is still the allman brothers' "live at fillmore east" double album. there are no words to describe the track "in memory of elizabeth reed" except transcendent. no wonder duane allman was named the second greatest rock guitarist ever, behind jimi hendrix, in a poll conducted by rolling stone and mojo magazine.

for jazz, my all-time favorite is miles davis's "kind of blue." i bought my frst copy over 10 years ago; unfortunately nawala sa hiraman. i thought the only way i can get another copy was through the internet; buti na lang nakabili ako uli in 2004. now it's in my ipod, kaya kahit iwala ng mga pamangkin ko yung kopya ko ngayon, ok lang hehehe!

medyo hati pa rin ako when it comes to jeff buckley. i find "grace" a little inconsistent, but i can't place my finger on that missing quality that would have made the album fuller and complete. yes he had one of the more amazing pipes in rock history, but as a vocal trailblazer, sorry, nauna na sa kanya si robert plant at freddie mercury. great songs there, but my all-time favorite jeff buckley original isn't found in "grace." what gives the album its poignancy, though, is that it was buckley's first and last full-fledged studio album. the song "everybody here wants you," for me the defining jeff buckley song, is in his album of demo recordings and outtakes.

my guilty pleasure is christopher cross's debut album. to this day, i love listening to the album over and over. i'm autistic in that respect ;D

BigBlue
05-15-2007, 11:19 AM
Jonar, ok din yung "Sketches" ni Buckley. The songs are a tad bit darker, a bit less melodious than Grace, but richer, much more poetic.

Have you heard of the theory that he's still alive somewhere? They never really found his body after he drowned. He was once upon a time quoted as saying that he missed "the anonimity of playing in cafes and bars". So from here, some have thought that he staged his death to escape fame.

Bennie, I dont think Grace was formed to be a landmark album, or that Buckley wanted to be considered as a "vocal trailblazer". I think when Grace was put out, he just put together a bunch of his good stuff, and shared it to the public. For me the thing that makes him stand out is how well he blends the software with the hardware, how his voice, his musical prowess blends together so well with his songs, lyrics, melodies. with that potent blend, he strikes a cord that for me, very few singer-songwriters could strike. Jeff Buckley seeps into your soul, and lingers there. Admitedly, it's an acquired taste, but one that's hard to shake off.

JonarSabilano
05-15-2007, 11:23 AM
Jonar, ok din yung "Sketches" ni Buckley. The songs are a tad bit darker, a bit less melodious than Grace, but richer, much more poetic.

Have you heard of the theory that he's still alive somewhere? They never really found his body after he drowned. He was once upon a time quoted as saying that he missed "the anonimity of playing in cafes and bars". So from here, some have thought that he staged his death to escape fame.

Ah, oo. Actually, 'yung "Everybody Here Wants You" ang una kong narinig na kanta niya. Pinapatugtog pa sa NU 107 noong college ako. Perfect make-out song 'yun. Must be the lyrics, or the steady, suggestive bass, or the caterwauling guitar. Ranks up there with "Careless Whisper" and "The One You Love".* ;D

Medyo nagsa-subscribe din ako sa theory na staged lang ang pagkakalunod niya. Sino ba kasi sa tamang pag-iisip (well, oo, manic-depressive si Jeff) ang magsusuot ng boots habang lumalangoy, di ba?

Re: "Grace", trailblazing iyon in the sense na kakaiba ang covers doon ("Lilac Wine" and "Corpus Christi Carol" immediately come to mind). Medyo shaky ang songwriting niya doon, pero kumabaga sa laro, tremendous upside ang ipinakita niya.

BigBlue
05-15-2007, 11:29 AM
Actually, i never really grew to like "everybody here wants you". For me his best song is still "last goodbye", his trademark performance is found in "lilac wine" (actually, the song pretty much describes his style), and his one of his last best works, a magnificent combination of songwriting-singing is in "morning theft".

True, I also think that "grace" was trailblazing, but i dont think Buckley had that in mind when he came out with that. sayang lang talaga that he died too early. it would have been interesting to see how far his songwriting would go.

Bennie Bangag
05-15-2007, 11:43 AM
i agree that "grace" was supposed to be a portent of good things to come. nakapanghihinayang isipin kung ano yung creative output nya kung buhay pa sya ngayon. then again, he was fated to die young because of his inner demons. still, what if he lived long enough to come out with at least another two albums, despite the "jeff is alive" speculations?

5FootCarrot
05-15-2007, 02:15 PM
Wala na kong binibiling CD's ngayon puro mp3's na lang (puro downloads in short). Sulit ang pag search sa multiply since dun ko nakuha yung mga medyo mid-90's alternative rock music na hinanap ko. Examples are Teeth, The Youth, The Breed, Backdraft, Razorback, Datu's Tribe and many others.

Dangit, wala akong nakukuha from Multiply. The one and only time I tried, I wound up with a file that wasn't in MP3 format. Maka-try again nga :P

Bennie, my parents listened to Christopher Cross when I was little and they said I insisted on listening to the tape (whichever album that was) every day on my way to and from kindergarten. I knew the lyrics and the order of the song by heart...but now I can't remember a single song ;D

WampumTribe
05-16-2007, 02:38 AM
"Hark, listen to the sound
Follow you all around
Rest your ears
Close to the ground"
--The Way Life Ought To Be

Anyone here remembers Lokal Brown, the 80s "superband" made up of Chikoy Pura, Ed Formoso, members of Asin, a pre-Tropical Depression Dominic "Papadom" Gamboa, and others.

"Sobra gid ang trabaho ko
Jutay ang sweldo"
--Ay Pedro

Can't remember if Binky Lampano and Jun Lupito were part of Lokal Brown.

"This is not Amerika
This is not the USA
This is one of the places
They try to make it feel that way"
--This Is Not Amerika

"This Is Not Amerika" included a mala-Janis Joplin na banat ni Lolita Carbon, singing a few lines from Asin's "Masdan Mo Ang Kapaligiran."

"Makulit nagpupumilit
Bumili ka na ng tiket
Sa Amerika mag-piknik
Huwag ka nang babalik"
--Reklamo Ng Reklamo

Lokal Brown was a studio-only group. And some of their songs (like "Reklamo Ng Reklamo" were covers. Sino meron/saan ako makakakuha ng album nilang "This Is Lokal Brown"? A burned CD would be better even. Had a tape in college pero may pumitik.

Other songs on my hard-to-find MP3 (Music Piracy Fthree) wish list:

"Lokal Boy" by Ethnic Faces
Love Jack Sicat's monotonous yet enchanting drone. Ka-batch sya ng kuya ko sa San Beda High School.

The Papadom song by Tropical Depression
Don't know the title and it isn't in any of their albums. Basta, pag kinakanta nila sa Peyups, nagco-Conga Line lahat, kahit mga punks.

"Kwentong Looban" by Binky Lampano
A visceral anthem to life in the squatter areas.

brian
05-16-2007, 02:57 AM
for me, the most satisfying rock CD i purchased in the last year is still the allman brothers' "live at fillmore east" double album. there are no words to describe the track "in memory of elizabeth reed" except transcendent. no wonder duane allman was named the second greatest rock guitarist ever, behind jimi hendrix, in a poll conducted by rolling stone and mojo magazine.

"at fillmore east" for me is one the greatest live albums ever! ang layo ng elizabeth redd version from the sudio album talagang tataas ang balahibo mo ha ha! come to think of it, lahat ng live releases ng fillmore are classics...i even have "rockin the fillmore" by humble pie with a teenaged peter frampton playing alongside steve marriot on guitars..kakaliabot! oh well, those were the days..

pareng bennie, catch wally gonzalez live every friday at chaquicos, makati ave. and listen to their own kick-ass rendition of "in memory" cha para kang asa time machine he he!

Bennie Bangag
05-18-2007, 08:00 AM
wohoo, another classic rock head in brian! indeed, there's something magical in the fillmore east theater that squeezes out the best in headlining bands performing in that former vaudeville venue.

good news din yang binalita mo about the comeback of pinoy guitar legend wally gonzales in the live circuit. salamat sa info!

5FootCarrot
05-18-2007, 08:27 AM
Ang masasabi ko lang sa Fillmore East ay meron akong CD ng Cypress Hill: Live At The Fillmore ;D I'm not really into Cypress Hill, but some of their songs are good to listen to when you feel like kicking @$$ 8)

flsfnoeraekadad
05-18-2007, 05:32 PM
Bilhin nyo ang bagong CD ng Maroon 5. Good buy sya panigurado. Tinorrent ko lang kagabi pero nagandahan ako. Kaya bibili na ako sa official release. Napapasayaw ako sa bago nilang single. Funky, baby! ;D

JonarSabilano
05-18-2007, 05:50 PM
Ang masasabi ko lang sa Fillmore East ay meron akong CD ng Cypress Hill: Live At The Fillmore ;D I'm not really into Cypress Hill, but some of their songs are good to listen to when you feel like kicking @$$ 8)

Gusto ko mapakinggan 'yung Ozomatli Live At The Fillmore. Ang hirap nga lang mahanap online. Bawal pa man din ang Torrent sa opis.

In other news: Mahal. Ko. Na. Si. Bonnie. Bailey. Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawr.

pachador
05-20-2007, 04:00 AM
here's an indonesian/filipino version of the famous arab song HABIBI YA NURU 'AINI :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uMFvNT7KG0

;D

and the Arab version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaHbEW0wisg

pachador
05-20-2007, 02:43 PM
mga Filipino de machos ;D ,

eto aqui ang advertisement song ng Cerveza San Miguel alli doon sa Espana, enjoy ! :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Usb5tE-oBo0

this song is based on a popular Spanish fiesta song, Paquito :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrVPK2mID-Y&mode=related&search=

Arriba ! Enjoy !

pachador
05-20-2007, 03:16 PM
Espana Cani , a stirring Paso Doble Spanish dance interpreted in a Shakira mix:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXpzswg_0Fc&mode=related&search=

5FootCarrot
05-21-2007, 11:04 AM
Here's a random question...what are your favorite remakes or cover versions? They say that nothing beats the original, but that doesn't mean we can't appreciate an artist's homage to his/her own favorites. :)

For my part, I really love the Beatles' cover versions from the early '60s like "Some Other Guy"* (from the Live at the BBC double album - I can't remember who the original artist was), the Isley Brothers' "Twist and Shout", Chuck Berry's "Roll Over Beethoven" and "Rock and Roll Music" and Smokey Robinson and the Miracles' "You Really Got A Hold On Me." I also love 311's fun remake of Sublime's "What I Got" and their pretty faithful cover of The Clash's "White Man in Hammersmith Palais" (performed live on the 311 Day DVD).

How about you?

JonarSabilano
05-21-2007, 11:21 AM
Here's a random question...what are your favorite remakes or cover versions? They say that nothing beats the original, but that doesn't mean we can't appreciate an artist's homage to his/her own favorites. :)

For my part, I really love the Beatles' cover versions from the early '60s like "Some Other Guy"* (from the Live at the BBC double album - I can't remember who the original artist was), the Isley Brothers' "Twist and Shout", Chuck Berry's "Roll Over Beethoven" and "Rock and Roll Music" and Smokey Robinson and the Miracles' "You Really Got A Hold On Me." I also love 311's fun remake of Sublime's "What I Got" and their pretty faithful cover of The Clash's "White Man in Hammersmith Palais" (performed live on the 311 Day DVD).

How about you?

Jef Buckley -- Elton John's "We All Fall In Love Sometimes" (live bootleg) and Nina Simone's "Lilac Wine" (pero di yata si Nina Simone ang original...)
311 -- The Cure's "Love Song"
Radiohead -- Carly Simon's "Nobody Does It Better" (live bootleg)
Elliott Smith -- The Beatles' "Because" (from the American Beauty OST)
Nirvana -- David Bowie's "The Man Who Sold The World"
Reel Big Fish -- A-Ha's "Take On Me"

Madami pang nasa playlist ko. I have a soft spot for covers of British songs, kung di ninyo napansin. I like all of them equally, pero nangingibabaw si Elliott Smith at Jeff Buckley. These are the songs that readily came into my head when I read 5FootCarrot's post. :)

BigBlue
05-21-2007, 11:31 AM
hmm.. interesting topic you brought up, 5FC. But off the top of my head, I love Ryan Adams' version of Wonderwall.

JonarSabilano
05-21-2007, 11:39 AM
hmm.. interesting topic you brought up, 5FC. But off the top of my head, I love Ryan Adams' version of Wonderwall.

May live version din ang Phish niyan. Ang tawag nila, "Wonder Picket Fence". ;D

Bennie Bangag
05-21-2007, 11:41 AM
for me, here are great remakes that stand out:

earth, wind & fire's got to get you into my life (a beatles original)
joe cocker's with a little help from my friends (another beatles original)
grant lee buffalo's we've only just begun (a carpenters original)
jimi hendrix's all along the watchtower (a dylan original)
johnny cash's hurt (a nine inch nails original)
allman brothers band's statesboro blues (a blind wille mctell original)
manhattan transfer's a nightingale sang in berkeley square (originally sung by nat king cole)

JonarSabilano
05-21-2007, 11:49 AM
Speaking of cover albums, one that really stands out is If I Were A Carpenter. Kasama dun 'yung sa Grant Lee Buffalo, and Matthew Sweet ("Let Me Be The One"), and the Cranberries ("Close To You"). Medyo dark naman ang "Rainy Days and Mondays" ng Cracker, and Sonic Youth's "Superstar", which is actually a cover of a cover.

Bennie Bangag
05-21-2007, 11:50 AM
quirky remakes:

travis's hit me baby one more time (a britney original)
bobby mcferrin's acapella version of drive my car (a beatles original)

worst remake: britney's i love rock n roll (a joan jett original) ;D

JonarSabilano
05-21-2007, 11:58 AM
More quirky remakes:

Starsailor -- The Sugababes' "Push The Button" (live)
Incubus -- Lionel Richie's "Hello" (live on KROQ)
The Klaxons -- Justin Timberlake's "My Love"

Mikhail
05-21-2007, 12:46 PM
In other news: Mahal. Ko. Na. Si. Bonnie. Bailey. Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawr.

Nasa Boracay raw siya nung mid-April. ;D

Bamboo - Englishman in New York (Sting)
Sting - Ne me quitte pas (Jacques Brel)
Sting - A day in the life (Beatles)
Imago - Spoliarium (Eraserheads)

Albums? Hmmm.
Dream Theatre - Master of Metallica (cover of Master of Puppets)

Other remakes:
John Petrucci - Flight of the Bumblebee (Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov)

"Covers"
Google for "Beatallica" if you like The Beatles and Metallica ;D

5FootCarrot
05-21-2007, 01:32 PM
Forgot to add Parokya ni Edgar's remake of "Beh Buti Nga" by Hotdog ;D

worst remake: britney's i love rock n roll (a joan jett original) ;D
Agree. Although I thought we should appreciate our favorites, I must say that Britney definitely does not hold a candle to Joan Jett.

christian
05-21-2007, 03:41 PM
hehehe medyo nag mainstream nga ang maroon 5, pero maganda ang first single nila. I'm currently enjoying dasboard confessional's "stolen" (got 3 versions, ganda ng beat) :) then snow patrol's signal fire, ganda din ng video.

brian
05-21-2007, 04:18 PM
nung nabanggit ni carrot ang isley bros.,
power station comes to mind. favorite ko ang "harvest of the world" remake nila...

i'm easy by faith no more, commodores original
i wanna be your man by rolling stones, beatles original
stairway to heaven by frank zappa, led zep original
superstion by beck bogert and appice, stevie wonder original
little wing ni SRV, hendrix original

at dami pang iba

bchoter
05-21-2007, 07:31 PM
Does MJB's One with U2 count?
Israel's Kamakawiwo'ole's Somewhere Over The Rainbow
I am Sam OST are all Beatle's cover. I like Rufus Wainright's Accross the Universe and
frank zappa's stairway to heaven, a led zep classic
George Tossan's Don't dream is over
Seal and JEff Beck doing Manic Depression of Hendrix

Jaco D
05-21-2007, 11:48 PM
In no particular order:

1.* True Faith's cover of Boy George/Culture Club's "Mistake Number 3"

2.* Re-makes of old Isley Brothers hits:
* * *"I Can't Let Go" by Lee Ritenour
* * *"Harvest for the World" - ang dami nila
* * *"Highways of My Life" - marami din, even Boy Katindig had one.
* * *"Let Me Down Easy" - Ronnie Laws
* * *"At Your Best You Are Love" - Aaliyah
* * *......en meni mor

3.* Re-makes made by the Isley Brothers:
* * *Seals and Crofts's "Summer Breeze"
* * *James Taylor's "Don't Let Me Be Lonely Tonight"
* * *The Doobie Brothers' "Listen to the Music"
* * *Todd Rungren's "Hello It's Me"
* * *Crosby Stills Nash and Young (tama ba?) "Love the One You're With"
* * *.......en meni mor agayn
4.* The Dave Matthews Band's two re-makes (are there more?)
* * *The gazillion versions, all of which I like, of Bob Dylan's "All Along The Watchtower" (funny how many mistake DMB's watchtower versions as "Stairway to Heaven" remakes).
* * *"Time of the Season".* Can't remember who did the original.

Damn.* Aural trip down memory lane.* Makabili nga ng beer sa kanto....

JonarSabilano
05-22-2007, 08:56 AM
Padagdag, ha.

Beck's cover of "Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometime" by the Korgis.
DMB's cover of Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Sweet Home Alabama".

WampumTribe
05-23-2007, 11:55 PM
Covers on the local scene:
• "Ati Cu Pung Singsing" by Tropical Depression

• Tropical Depression's cover of Juan Dela Cruz Band's "Ang Himig Natin" (featuring Pepe Smith)

• Regine Velasquez' cover of a Mr. C classic – "Tuwing Umuulan"

• Michael Cruz' cover of Juan Dela Cruz Band's "Beep Beep"

• P.O.T.'s mas nakakaindak na version of Garry Valenciano's "Yugyugan Na"

• The Philippine stage version of RENT. Not really a cover, but a lot of those who saw both the original Broadway version and the Philippine one say the the Pinoy cast were better singers. And these include foreign folks and some of the American producers themselves.

Elsewhere:
• Pearl Jam's rendition of Neil Young's "Keep On Rockin' In The Free World" Cover na, collaboration pa!

• Michael Bublé's remakes of:
a) Frank Sinatra's "The Summer Wind"
b) Bobby Darin's "Beyond The Sea"
c) Satchmo's "Mack The Knife"

• The Black Crowes cover of The Rolling Stone's "Sympathy For The Devil"

• Enya's "Greensleeves"

• The Commitments soundtrack album, particularly its take on "Mustang Sally" and "The Dark End Of The Street," proved that not only African-Americans have soul.

• Nobody but nobody beats Tony Bennet's "The Way You Look Tonight." Not Bublé, not Harry Connick, Jr.

• Nor for that matter can anyone say "I want to bone you real bad" quite like Tom Jones. "It's Not Unusual" Rules!

• Pat Boone's revamp of GNR's "Sweet Child Of Mine"

WampumTribe
05-24-2007, 02:08 AM
Other I-wish-I-were-Eddie-Vedder Pearl Jam covers:

•* "Last Kiss" by Wayne Cochran & the C.C. Riders
•* "Fools Rush In" by Elvis Presley
•* "Redemption Song" by Bob Marley
•* "Break On Through To The Other Side" by The Doors

Then there are:
•* Scott Weiland's "cover" of Vedder's style (think "Plush")
• Gavin Rossdale's "cover" of Kurt Cobain
• Lenny Kravitz' "cover" of Jimmy Hendrix
• Willie Nepomuceno's "cover" of Ferdie serenading Meldy

5FootCarrot
05-24-2007, 09:04 AM
•* The Commitments soundtrack album, particularly its take on "Mustang Sally" and "The Dark End Of The Street," proved that not only African-Americans have soul.
How could I forget this one? I love their version of "Mustang Sally." Sayang cassette pa yung kopya ko - kung hindi, naka-iPod na yan!

I also forgot to mention Paul Gilbert's version of the Spice Girls' "2 Become 1." ;D

Pearl Jam did a cover of "Break On Through"? STP did one, too - it appeared on the Stoned Immaculate Doors tribute CD. That was a good remake as well.

cool_at_heart
05-24-2007, 01:52 PM
Don't know if anyone brought this up in here but my question is "If you were to own or buy an album twice, what would it be?"

To start off, I'd have to say Rage Against the Machine's self titled debut album. This album would make any other rock band today look like britney spears. The musicality and the lyrics from Bombtrack to Freedom is unequalled, probably one of the best rock albums ever made, you just can't get enough of it. Personally, I believe at one point in the 90's they were far better than u2.

5FootCarrot
05-24-2007, 02:58 PM
"If you were to own or buy an album twice, what would it be?"
I need all of the Beatles' albums on CD, including Live At the BBC and the Anthology sets. Loser pa ako nung unang lumabas yung mga yun kaya puro cassette ang nasa akin :P and now the tapes tend to squeak whenever I play them! (Bakit ba ganun?)

Bennie Bangag
05-24-2007, 03:32 PM
most cassette tapes will eventually squeak because the tapes themselves become brittle with age. when they become brittle, the chrome oxides wear off and crumble, which exposes the underlying fiber of the tape. one of the important tasks of music archivists and recording engineers is to periodically check on the condition of the master tapes in their care, and lubricate them with a special tape oil if needed. for cassette tapes, they apply a much lesser amount of oil--one tiny drop per spool--upon opening the cassette. once this is accomplished, the cassette is screwed back in place and then repeatedly put on forward and rewind in the player. that's how they try to get rid of those squeaks.

john_paul_manahan
05-24-2007, 04:06 PM
I need all of the Beatles' albums on CD, including Live At the BBC and the Anthology sets. Loser pa ako nung unang lumabas yung mga yun kaya puro cassette ang nasa akin :P and now the tapes tend to squeak whenever I play them! (Bakit ba ganun?)

i saw some at a certain record store. have you listened to the remixed Beatles' album Love? it's so expensive. i am so intrigued by the audio DVD version.

hmmm... i love Sitti, our Bossanova Princess. she brings her personal touch to the songs she sings. Ditti for the Bloomfields (it is a must that you see them perform live) and Julianne.

i would love to have the Eheads first three albums. and the Wuds. (no flag no race no rulers no country). ditto for the grin department.

as for songs: Augustana's Boston; Julianne's Grateful; Snow Patrol's Signal Fire; Cornershop's Brimful of Asha; The Offspring's The Kids aren't Alright; Fallout Boy's This Ain't a Scene, It's an Arms Race (i like the original and the Kanye West remix) and Thanks for the Memories;

Btw, Terno Recordings will have a gig at Sagujio i think on the 30th. Julianne will be at Eastwood on June 15 (if i am correct) and Burn Magazine's Burn Sessions starts on May 26.

5FootCarrot
05-24-2007, 04:52 PM
most cassette tapes will eventually squeak because the tapes themselves become brittle with age. when they become brittle, the chrome oxides wear off and crumble, which exposes the underlying fiber of the tape. one of the important tasks of music archivists and recording engineers is to periodically check on the condition of the master tapes in their care, and lubricate them with a special tape oil if needed. for cassette tapes, they apply a much lesser amount of oil--one tiny drop per spool--upon opening the cassette. once this is accomplished, the cassette is screwed back in place and then repeatedly put on forward and rewind in the player. that's how they try to get rid of those squeaks.
The Beatles must have used really cheap tape in the '90s, then, because my Anthology tapes are the squeak-prone ones, not the tapes from the boxed set I bought in 1990. :-\ (I can't remember if those squeak, too.)

Dark Knight
05-24-2007, 07:58 PM
Who's into New Wave Music? You know, bands like The Jesus And Mary Chain, The Wild Swans, New Order, Mighty Lemon Drops etc....

WampumTribe
05-24-2007, 08:08 PM
• The Commitments soundtrack album, particularly its take on "Mustang Sally" and "The Dark End Of The Street," proved that not only African-Americans have soul.
How could I forget this one? I love their version of "Mustang Sally." Sayang cassette pa yung kopya ko - kung hindi, naka-iPod na yan!

Once had the entire soundtrack on mp3. Kaso when i started using another Mac, i forgot to burn the songs.

Pearl Jam did a cover of "Break On Through"? STP did one, too - it appeared on the Stoned Immaculate Doors tribute CD. That was a good remake as well.

Live performance yung na download ko. Also have the complete 1977 concert of The Grateful Dead in Cornell University, pero hindi ko pa napapakinggan.

I also forgot to mention Paul Gilbert's version of the Spice Girls' "2 Become 1." ;D

Mwa-ha-ha! Why would anyone remake a Spice Girls record?

danny
05-25-2007, 03:18 AM
Bedouin Soundclash

http://www.bedouinsoundclash.com/

Joe Stummer and the Mescaleros.......the late Joe Strummer :-[

http://www.amazon.com/Joe-Strummer-&-The-Mescaleros/artist/B000APAB9K
http://www.joestrummer.com/

cool_at_heart
05-25-2007, 11:32 AM
I left out some albums I can't get enough of. :)

House of Pain's "Same as it ever was"
Maxwell's "Urban Hang Suite"
"Frank Sinatra and Antonio Carlos Jobim"
and my personal favorite "Frank Sinatra sings for only the lonely", soft yet strong, lush arrangements plus excellent vocals and interpretations, the best album ever...para sa akin lang po yun. (Sinatraphile kasi ako eh) ;D Kinda hard to collect all his albums though, sobrang dami eh,I just get the really good ones.

JonarSabilano
05-25-2007, 12:41 PM

Kakaiba ang mga cover ni Paul Gilbert, lalo na kapag live. Meron akong MP3 ng cover niya ng "Dancing Queen". ;D

5FootCarrot
05-25-2007, 03:11 PM
OMG, Jonar, naiimagine ko na ;D

WampumTribe, I know the idea of doing a Spice Girls cover sounds silly, but Paul Gilbert's vocals are nothing like the pop tart original. 8)

PS LSS: "Career Opportunities" by The Clash

Gil_Andrews
05-25-2007, 09:51 PM
In no particular order:

1.* True Faith's cover of Boy George/Culture Club's "Mistake Number 3"
2.* Re-makes of old Isley Brothers hits:
* * *"I Can't Let Go" by Lee Ritenour
* * *"Harvest for the World" - ang dami nila
* * *"Highways of My Life" - marami din, even Boy Katindig had one.
* * *"Let Me Down Easy" - Ronnie Laws
* * *"At Your Best You Are Love" - Aaliyah
* * *......en meni mor

3.* Re-makes made by the Isley Brothers:
* * *Seals and Crofts's "Summer Breeze"
* * *James Taylor's "Don't Let Me Be Lonely Tonight"
* * *The Doobie Brothers' "Listen to the Music"
* * *Todd Rungren's "Hello It's Me"
* * *Crosby Stills Nash and Young (tama ba?) "Love the One You're With"
* * *.......en meni mor agayn
4.* The Dave Matthews Band's two re-makes (are there more?)
* * *The gazillion versions, all of which I like, of Bob Dylan's "All Along The Watchtower" (funny how many mistake DMB's watchtower versions as "Stairway to Heaven" remakes).
* * *"Time of the Season".* Can't remember who did the original.

Damn.* Aural trip down memory lane.* Makabili nga ng beer sa kanto....

That was an awesome rendition of "mistake number 3" by True Faith - even better than the Culture Club original.

Another very good remake done by True Faith is their acoustic version of "Say a Little Prayer" and their acoustic remake of "Perfect."

Gil_Andrews
05-25-2007, 09:54 PM

Oh yes Carrot. The Beatles for me is the Best Band ever!

My best song in the Anthology series is the solo mellow version of George Harrison's "While My Guitar Gently Weeps." I like that better than the one in the White Album.

Gil_Andrews
05-25-2007, 09:58 PM
Who's into New Wave Music? You know, bands like The Jesus And Mary Chain, The Wild Swans, New Order, Mighty Lemon Drops etc....

Exactly my generation. I'm looking for this rare CD of EARLY Depeche Mode live versions of their Speak and Spell album and the album after that (which title escapes me right now). Pls help me find one. The last time I heard of the tracks was in 1984.

Gil_Andrews
05-25-2007, 10:01 PM
I'm also into collecting "groove-dance" music of the late 80s up to the early 90s which cover the dance songs of Sybil, M People, Crystal Waters, Sonya, etc. Anybody knows where I can find more of this stuff?

WampumTribe
05-26-2007, 01:28 AM

Kakaiba ang mga cover ni Paul Gilbert, lalo na kapag live. Meron akong MP3 ng cover niya ng "Dancing Queen".* ;D

OMG, Jonar, naiimagine ko na ;D

WampumTribe, I know the idea of doing a Spice Girls cover sounds silly, but Paul Gilbert's vocals are nothing like the pop tart original. 8)

Hmmm...JonarSabilano and 5FootCarrot, to paraphrase the unrecognized genius Kid Creole, "Another gamefacer's arousing my (ooooh) music curiosity."

I'll try limewiring Paul Gilbert songs after my vacation. Okay na sana yung mga Coconuts but dang! those chicks had hairy armpits.

WampumTribe
05-26-2007, 03:38 AM
Best Commercial Jingle: "I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing" from Coke's "Hilltop" TVC spot.

One of the few commercials i still remember seeing as a very young kid. On the TVCs twentieth anniversary, they "remade" it; this time with the children of the original cast running to their parent's arms while singing "It's The Real Thing" as a counterpoint to the original jingle sung by the oldies.

I read that the agency (McCann, i think) spent months and months tracking down the original cast to give the commercial a genuine heart-tugging feel. And boy did it work!

For someone who saw the original spot, it's impossible not to get all choked up and teary-eyed.

Paul of Bataan
05-26-2007, 05:58 AM
i think i have a CD with that song. it's originally by the new seekers, an australian group.

about the commercial, that was the first hippie TV ad by coke, and it perfectly captured the spirit and the anti-war sentiment of the tie-dyed generation reeling from the societal effects of the vietnam draft. probably one of the most memorable commercials of all time.

5FootCarrot
05-26-2007, 08:03 AM
I'm also into collecting "groove-dance" music of the late 80s up to the early 90s which cover the dance songs of Sybil, M People, Crystal Waters, Sonya, etc. Anybody knows where I can find more of this stuff?
OMG, this reminds me of my high school days, when MTV still featured stuff from MTV Europe and everybody waited for the deejay to play "100% Pure Love" at the school dances ;D

I have some M People, but it's on tape also :-\ I may have unearthed it at one of those bargain bins at Odyssey (yung tipong P50 lang yung tape kasi hindi siya mabenta). I would also suggest the "pre-owned/imported" sections at Music One. I have a Culture Beat CD ("Mr. Vain") that I may have found there. Happy hunting!

atenean_blooded
05-26-2007, 03:47 PM
I don't really buy CDs, unless I absolutely like the album and the artist. I usually just mooch stuff off from people's iPods, or rip other people's CDs into iTunes. There's also stuff available on most p2p networks like Limewire, and there are also the torrents. And of course, there's Multiply's search function.

I've been listening to a lot of new music lately, even more than I did in college (and I thought that was impossible).

Let's play a game a friend asked me to play. Make a soundtrack for your life, appropriate for the the following scenes or themes:

1. Opening Credits
2. Waking Up
3. Average Day/Errands/Downtime
4. Party Scene
5. Dancing
6. Seeing her/him for the first time.
7. First date
8. Falling in Love
9. Just before making out, making out
10. Love Scene ;D
11. Post-sex-next-day-is-a-happy-day
12. Fight Scene
13. Breakup
14. Long night alone (emo)
15. Looking for redemption. Partying again.
16. Secret love (the third party, or whoever else, for you players out there)
17. Regretting
18. Getting back together
19. Death Scene
20. Closing Credits

Feel free to add categories, or mix these up.

I'll start:

1. "Fake Tales of San Francisco" - Arctic Monkeys
2. "Love of the Loveless" - The Eels
3. "Sad Boys Dance!!" - The Secret Society
4. "Pachuca Sunrise" - Minus the Bear
5. "Clamour for Glamour" - The Ark
6. "When I Get You Alone" - Robin Thicke
7. "City of Blinding Lights" - U2
8. "Nothing Left to Lose" - Mat Kearney
9. "Breathe Me" - Sia
10. "If I Handle You With Care" - Trembling Blue Stars
11. "1963" - Rachael Yamagata
12. "People of the Sun" - Rage Against The Machine
13. "Coffee and Cigarettes" - Michelle Featherstone
14. "So Sorry" - Feist
15. "7/4 Shoreline" - Broken Social Scene
16. "Damn Girl" - Justin Timberlake
17. "20,000 Seconds" - K's Choice
18."That's All" - Rod Stewart
19. "The World Spins Madly On" - The Weepies
20. "Is You Or Is You Ain't My Baby" - Anita O'Day

Dark Knight
05-30-2007, 10:05 AM

Exactly my generation. I'm looking for this rare CD of EARLY Depeche Mode live versions of their Speak and Spell album and the album after that (which title escapes me right now). Pls help me find one. The last time I heard of the tracks was in 1984.

Hi Gil. You can check out some record stores at the basement of the Makati Cinema Square. Too bad CD Warehouse already closed. There is also this store called Groove Nation Records which sell rare New Wave albums. It was owned by Toti Dalmacion.* A bit pricey though.

You can join this New Wave forum. Im a member here already. Heres the link.

nwoutpost.com (http://nwoutpost.com)

christian
05-30-2007, 04:50 PM
Hanep pare, idol ko din yang si Paul Gilbert! kaya lang i lost track of him after Mr. Big (growing up years yun eh!) and then True Faith, idol ko si Medwin! try listening to their new album, there's a couple of good remakes there. I try to listen to their every song.

As for setting the mood naman, "Love Scene" and "All The Things Your Man Won't Do" by Joe, makalaglag yan :)

Flirt by R. Kelly, T.I. & T. Pain pag gusto ko mangulit, Outta My System - Bow Wow yang ang mga nasa iPod ko na i keep on repeating. Signal Fire and Stolen (got 3 versions) ang favorite ko ngayon.

flsfnoeraekadad
05-30-2007, 11:44 PM
Bakit nagsara ang 6 Underground? :(

JonarSabilano
06-01-2007, 10:13 AM
Bakit nagsara ang 6 Underground? :(

And another good music place bites the dust. :'( Sana, huwag sumunod ang SaGuijo. Kahit na ayaw ko ang crowd doon, sila na lang yata ang may matinong line-up ng banda sa Makati.

john_paul_manahan
06-01-2007, 02:28 PM
btw, saguijo is celebrating its anniversary...

meron tonight and tomorrow night.

check saguijo.com for details.

i actually went there for the 1st last wednesday.

JonarSabilano
06-01-2007, 03:36 PM
btw, saguijo is celebrating its anniversary...

meron tonight and tomorrow night.

check saguijo.com for details.

i actually went there for the 1st last wednesday.

I actually prefer keeping memories of music spots the way they were when I first visited them. For example, I yearn for the old Xaymaca, without the poseurs who mistake Bob Marley for yet another "soul brother" and scantily clad ladies, or Conspiracy with its weekly Writers' Nights. In SaGuijo's case, I remember my first visit there as a semi-official roadie of the now-defunct Monkeyspank. Biro mo, the groupies were throwing Mentos at me at the nearby sari-sari store! Mabuti sana kung may laman...

christian
06-02-2007, 09:33 AM
What's the story behind Rivermaya?

Posterized
06-04-2007, 08:36 AM
Conspiracy

Ito ang okay talaga. Very laid back. Kanta kung kanta ang mga nagpeperform at ang mga nakikinig, inom lang ng inom. Mura pa.

JonarSabilano
06-04-2007, 09:18 AM
Conspiracy

Ito ang okay talaga. Very laid back. Kanta kung kanta ang mga nagpeperform at ang mga nakikinig, inom lang ng inom. Mura pa.

Sadly, Conspi isn't what it used to be. It isn't as jampacked as it used to be on Tuesdays. But they still have the same roster of performers. Ang problema kasi sa place, location. It's somewhat out of the way. Medyo malayo sa mga university, etc., unlike Mag:Net. Mas madalas na ako doon lately.

pachador
06-04-2007, 10:06 AM
I dont know if this has been posted. Neal Mccoy , a popular country music singer in the U.S. is of Filipino-Irish descent. see his pics here:

http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&um=1&hl=en&q=neal+mccoy

http://image.listen.com/img/356x237/6/0/8/4/514806_356x237.jpg

http://www.mooseintl.org/public/moosemagazine/mayjunjul06/imgs/feature05_img/mccoy_350.jpg

flsfnoeraekadad
06-05-2007, 01:57 AM
Rico Blanco's out of the band. Gusto kasi ni Rico na mag-pursue ng career sa pag-arte at sa pagpipinta. Who will step on the pedestal of being the next lead man for the band? Hindi ko din alam hehehe. Hmm. Abangan.

Posterized
06-05-2007, 08:40 AM
Rico Blanco's out of the band. Gusto kasi ni Rico na mag-pursue ng career sa pag-arte at sa pagpipinta. Who will step on the pedestal of being the next lead man for the band? Hindi ko din alam hehehe. Hmm. Abangan.

Ow? Bamboo, balik na sa Rivermaya. Hahaha.

BigBlue
06-05-2007, 10:48 AM
I dont know if this has been posted. Neal Mccoy , a popular country music singer in the U.S. is of Filipino-Irish descent. see his pics here:

A Filipino-Irish country music singer???? That is definitely an aberation.

john_paul_manahan
06-06-2007, 11:51 AM
if i am not mistaken, gweilo's has morphed into dredd...

JonarSabilano
06-06-2007, 01:26 PM

Which one? 'Yung nasa Eastwood, o nasa C. Palanca?

pachador
06-06-2007, 02:01 PM
Cerveza San Miguel de Espana has a website devoted to basketball. the site is not that good because it uses flash macromedia but nevertheless, its an interesting exploration or experimentation in celebrating the euphoria of basketball through videos , colors and sounds.

clique aqui here:

http://www.laeuforia.com/

john_paul_manahan
06-06-2007, 06:29 PM
i think e'wood.

pachador
06-17-2007, 02:59 PM
some entertainment for you. hope you enjoy:

funny chubby guy singing numa numa :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60og9gwKh1o
numa numa guy in dance video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gg5LOd_Zus

Cha-cha music: "Sway" sang by Fil-Am sex bomb Nicole of Pussy Cat Dolls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFPvKGL69kE

"Ultimo Adios" music version of Jose Rizal's poem by Joey Ayala:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yV25BnTkK98

love song by Filipina-Espanola Shaila Durcal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWVYmLg64L0

"Bailamos" by Filipino-Espanol Enrique Iglesias sang in similar trembling syrupy style as his father Julio Iglesias:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omYNh7fTxXQ

"Matador" by Los Fabulosos Cadillacs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPNX9BL5v1w

Mambo: "Mambo Italiano" by sexy Ysabella:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1jQZ2KeKfc

"My First My Last My Everything" by Barry White,the man with the lady-killer voice:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWsXWhagKco
Barry White with Luciano Pavarotti:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL0WFcygdWY

"Sex Bomb" by Tom Jones, the macho machine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KUJE2xs-RE

"Kiss" by Tom Jones:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuSOHHY_I88

"shaft" by Isaac Hayes, the lady's man:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRh-Vg0RNDQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZzBrxj-Gjo

Rap against uptight white guys: "Dobalina"by Del the funky homosapien:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH73YsxN7vk

Funky rap: "Rosa Parks" by Outkast:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPp8v7DKM5U

Funny group: "Hey Ya" by Outkast:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3Wg8BsOamE

For those who went crazy at one time in their lives: "Crazy" by Gnarls Barkley :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbfhXyfbIfo

Wingman
06-17-2007, 04:17 PM

Wala lang akong makita sa multiply na may mp3's ni Randy Santiago. Puro babaero lang yung mp3's niya dun. Baka naman matulungan nyo kong makakuha ng links. Thanks in advance.

Tito BFB why don't you try Limewire. There's lots of Randy Santiago songs there.

bluewing
06-17-2007, 08:52 PM
for almost an entire week now, i couldn't stop listening to "Don't Stop Believing" by Journey. the said song was used in the LAST scene of the Sopranos Series Finale. since it was my favorite TV show of all time, the impact of the last song in the very last scene was just... epic.

it's haunting and optimistic at the same time. i love it... listening to it right now. for the 500th time today.

danny
06-21-2007, 03:01 AM
Napansin niyo bang tumugtog uli ang The Police?

Did the hype reach our shores?

Kid Cubao
06-21-2007, 05:41 AM
yes, matagal na po naming napansin, nung huling grammy awards pa. however, the hype will reach local shores if they decide to visit the philippines as part of their global comeback tour, or if they come out with a new album of all-original material.

cool_at_heart
06-26-2007, 08:02 AM
Article was taken from ratm.com, my heart skipped a beat when i saw this.

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
with special guest
QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE

Alpine Valley Music Theatre - August 24, 2007 East Troy, WI

In Addition to Select Festival Appearances in New York and California, RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE to Play One Concert in the Midwest

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Monday June 11th:

CHICAGO, IL -- After immense anticipation following confirmed appearances at Coachella Music Festival in California and Rock The Bells Festival dates in New York and California, Live Nation announced today that RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE will perform a concert at ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE in East Troy, Wisconsin on Friday, August 24th. This performance will be the band's only Midwest appearance.

Tickets for the Alpine Valley Music Theatre concert will go on sale on Saturday, June 16th at 10 a.m. Ticket prices are $60.00 for reserved pavilion and general admission lawn seating and will be available at the Alpine Valley Box Office, all Ticketmaster locations, charge by phone at (312) 559-1212 or online at www.livenation.com and www.ticketmaster.com.

After 7 years, original RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE band members Zack de la Rocha, Tom Morello, Tim Commerford, and Brad Wilk reunited on stage at Coachella Music Festival in Indio, California on April 29th, sparking rumors of additional performances. These rumors were soon confirmed, as the band announced additional festival appearances at the Rock The Bells festival dates in New York, San Francisco, and San Bernardino.

The announcement of the Alpine Valley Music Theatre concert today marks the band's sixth appearance of the summer and their only Midwest appearance. It is also the band's only non-festival concert.

...This band is way too good to just walk away. Hope they release a new album. No wonder audioslave disbanded, na-miss siguro ni tom si zack. :D Works for us!

5FootCarrot
06-26-2007, 08:23 AM
I think the news that RATM was re-forming broke a long time ago, but I haven't paid any attention to them since then. I, too, hope that they resume recording and come out with another album - Audioslave wasn't half as good as RATM was (sorry, Chris Cornell).

5FootCarrot
07-04-2007, 08:55 PM
Has anyone heard any of the new Beastie Boys music? I'm definitely going to buy the CD later this week, but would also love to know what others think of it.

atenean_blooded
07-04-2007, 11:12 PM

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
with special guest
QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE

In Addition to Select Festival Appearances in New York and California, RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE to Play One Concert in the Midwest*

CHICAGO, IL -- After immense anticipation following confirmed appearances at Coachella Music Festival in California and Rock The Bells Festival dates in New York and California, Live Nation announced today that RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE will perform a concert at ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE in East Troy, Wisconsin on Friday, August 24th. This performance will be the band's only Midwest appearance.

Tickets for the Alpine Valley Music Theatre concert will go on sale on Saturday, June 16th at 10 a.m. Ticket prices are $60.00 for reserved pavilion and general admission lawn seating and will be available at the Alpine Valley Box Office, all Ticketmaster locations, charge by phone at (312) 559-1212 or online at www.livenation.com and www.ticketmaster.com.

After 7 years, original RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE band members Zack de la Rocha, Tom Morello, Tim Commerford, and Brad Wilk reunited on stage at Coachella Music Festival in Indio, California on April 29th, sparking rumors of additional performances. These rumors were soon confirmed, as the band announced additional festival appearances at the Rock The Bells festival dates in New York, San Francisco, and San Bernardino.

The announcement of the Alpine Valley Music Theatre concert today marks the band's sixth appearance of the summer and their only Midwest appearance. It is also the band's only non-festival concert.

...This band is way too good to just walk away. Hope they release a new album. No wonder audioslave disbanded, na-miss siguro ni tom si zack. :D* Works for us!

I was supposed to go watch RATM and all the other bands that played in Coachella when I went to the States a few months ago.

Thing was, my friend forgot to buy us tickets on time, so when we looked at scalpers' prices, tickets that were going for $250 (3 day pass) were selling for $1200.

Of course, I was getting e-mail after e-mail about how kick-ass Coachella and RATM were.

JonarSabilano
07-04-2007, 11:18 PM

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
with special guest
QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE

In Addition to Select Festival Appearances in New York and California, RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE to Play One Concert in the Midwest*

...This band is way too good to just walk away. Hope they release a new album. No wonder audioslave disbanded, na-miss siguro ni tom si zack. :D* Works for us!

Medyo pa-OT muna, ha. Saktong-sakto, e.

Puro high-school stuff ang nangyayari sa akin ngayon. Una, may pa-videoke ang batch namin sa Sabado. Sunod, ikakasal ang bespren ko sa ika-21 ng buwang ito (note to self: maka-book na nga ng flight). Tapos, 'yung ka-partner ko sa Science Research na isinumpa kong sasagasaan ko sa pagkakataong makita ko siya sa vicinity ng Katipunan, in-add ako sa Friendster.

Tapos, magkakabalikan na ang RATM. Baka mamaya, biglang ring mabuo muli ang E-heads. *;D

Makadalaw nga sa alma mater ko minsan.

Back to topic.

Noong tumugtog dito ang RATM, nanood ng concert sa Astrodome ang daddy ng GF ko. Sabi niya, paglabas niya, 'yung mga batang nakikita niyang nagwawala sa loob ng Cuneta, ayun, ayos na ayos habang sinusundo ng mga magulang nilang nag-aabang sa labas. Wala lang. RATM's too good to be wasted on the young.

atenean_blooded
07-04-2007, 11:30 PM
For those of you who are planning to buy CDs (hello, Carrot!) or download music, try to find

Albums
1. "The Reminder" by Feist - Feist's newest album, where she treats us to her beautiful songs which are all sung in a manner that can make even Dick Cheney weep.

2. "Overtones" by Just Jack (not the guy from Will and Grace) - Trippy, dancy-dancy music by this guy from the UK featuring nice lyrics, nice raps and rhymes.

3. "Ultra Payloaded" by Satellite Party - Kick-ass lyrics, kick-ass music.

4. "State of the Ark" by The Ark - Glam rock. Fantastic music, trippy beats and melodies.

5. "Beneath the Boardwalk" or "Favourite Worst Nightmare" by Arctic Monkeys - Great music by another UK band, which is, interestingly enough, getting some comparisons to the Beatles. They sound worlds apart, but I guess it's because they're British, a foursome, and sport similar hairstyles.

Also, look for "Transparent Things" by Fujiya & Miyagi if you're into electronica.

Songs

- "Message In A Bottle" as covered by Brandon Boyd and Gwen Stefani
- "Careless Whisper" as covered by Ben Folds Five and Rufus Wainright
- "Wouldn't Get Far" by The Game (featuring Kanye West)
- "Make This Go On Forever" by Snow Patrol
- "Throw It All Away" by Zero7.
- "New Shoes" by Paolo Nutini
- "Your Ex-Lover Is Dead" by Stars
- "Nothing Left To Lose" by Mat Kearney
- "Lover You Should've Come Over" by Jeff Buckley

JonarSabilano
07-04-2007, 11:45 PM
For those of you who are planning to buy CDs (hello, Carrot!) or download music, try to find

Albums
1. "The Reminder" by Feist - Feist's newest album, where she treats us to her beautiful songs which are all sung in a manner that can make even Dick Cheney weep.

2. "Overtones" by Just Jack (not the guy from Will and Grace) - Trippy, dancy-dancy music by this guy from the UK featuring nice lyrics, nice raps and rhymes.

4. "State of the Ark" by The Ark - Glam rock. Fantastic music, trippy beats and melodies.

5. "Beneath the Boardwalk" or "Favourite Worst Nightmare" by Arctic Monkeys - Great music by another UK band, which is, interestingly enough, getting some comparisons to the Beatles. They sound worlds apart, but I guess it's because they're British, a foursome, and sport similar hairstyles.

Also, look for "Transparent Things" by Fujiya & Miyagi if you're into electronica.

Songs

I have Feist's album. Ayos 'yun. I downloaded "Mushaboom" the moment I heard it on a perfume commercial. I also liked her collaboration with Kings Of Convenience on their Riot on an Empty Street album.

As for the "Careless Whisper" cover, pa-spoiler lang: Watch out for the falsetto. Ang galing.* :)

You should also try listening to these other Jeff Buckley tracks, atenean_blooded:

1) "We All Fall In Love Sometimes". Rare live bootleg of an Elton John original.
2) "Forget Her", "Lilac Wine" and "Corpus Christi Carol" from Grace.
3) "Everybody Here Wants You" from Sketches For My Sweetheart The Drunk.

I'm currently listening to Lupe Fiasco's Food and Liquor album, featuring samples from Celeste Legaspi and Burt Bacharach, among others. Also, Ozomatli's latest release, Do Not Mess With The Dragon.

atenean_blooded
07-05-2007, 12:45 AM

Albums

Songs

I have Feist's album. Ayos 'yun. I downloaded "Mushaboom" the moment I heard it on a perfume commercial. I also liked her collaboration with Kings Of Convenience on their Riot on an Empty Street album.

As for the "Careless Whisper" cover, pa-spoiler lang: Watch out for the falsetto. Ang galing.* :)

You should also try listening to these other Jeff Buckley tracks, atenean_blooded:

1) "We All Fall In Love Sometimes". Rare live bootleg of an Elton John original.
2) "Forget Her", "Lilac Wine" and "Corpus Christi Carol" from Grace.
3) "Everybody Here Wants You" from Sketches For My Sweetheart The Drunk.

I'm currently listening to Lupe Fiasco's Food and Liquor album, featuring samples from Celeste Legaspi and Burt Bacharach, among others. Also, Ozomatli's latest release, Do Not Mess With The Dragon.

If you like Feist's stuff, you'll like her huge band, Broken Social Scene (the band basically has Feist, Kings of Convenience, and a whole bunch of other singers from Toronto's indie scene ALL IN ONE BAND).

And yes, those Buckley songs are all classics. Long live Jeff Buckley.

Kaibigan, alam mo naman yung address ng blog at multiply ko. Makikita mo yung iba kong song list dun. Hehe.

JonarSabilano
07-05-2007, 09:17 AM
^ Ah oo. I have a bunch of Broken Social Scene MP3s in my office PC. Galing.

BTW, anyone here who listens to the likes of Nick Drake and Elliott Smith?

Kid Cubao
07-07-2007, 05:39 AM
my friends say i do a great cover of "last goodbye" and "everybody here wants you." i say otherwise, because these are the same friends of mine who get choked over william hung's "i believe i can fly."

JonarSabilano
07-07-2007, 05:49 AM
my friends say i do a great cover of "last goodbye" and "everybody here wants you." i say otherwise, because these are the same friends of mine who get choked over william hung's "i believe i can fly."

Sana meron na sa videoke ng "Everybody Here Wants You". I find it hard to sing that song without making giling, y'know. Lalo na sa bridge. Ang hirap gumiling nang may dalang gitara. ;D

atenean_blooded
07-07-2007, 08:37 AM

Sana meron na sa videoke ng "Everybody Here Wants You". I find it hard to sing that song without making giling, y'know. Lalo na sa bridge. Ang hirap gumiling nang may dalang gitara. ;D

Kaibigan, mahirap ilagay sa videoke yan.

Sa "My Way" pa lang nga nagpapatayan na.

Isama mo pa yung "Everybody Here Wants You," baka masimulan mo ang Word War III.

JonarSabilano
07-08-2007, 01:38 AM

Isama mo pa yung "Everybody Here Wants You," baka masimulan mo ang Word War III.

Ayos lang 'yan. Iilan lang naman tayong nakakaalam niyan. Tsaka medyo pabulong ang falsetto diyan.

atenean_blooded
07-08-2007, 01:53 AM

Kapag lasheng ka na mehn wala nang bulong bulong.* ;D

Ayos lang 'yan. Iilan lang naman tayong nakakaalam niyan. Tsaka medyo pabulong ang falsetto diyan.

Kaibigan, kapag lasheng ka na, wala nang bulong-bulong pa. ;D

Patayan na yang falsetto. ;D

WampumTribe
07-11-2007, 08:29 PM
i think i have a CD with that song. it's originally by the new seekers, an australian group.

about the commercial, that was the first hippie TV ad by coke, and it perfectly captured the spirit and the anti-war sentiment of the tie-dyed generation reeling from the societal effects of the vietnam draft. probably one of the most memorable commercials of all time.

Found it!

Para sa mga mulat na ng dekada 70s, here's the original Coke "Hilltop" TVC: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8H5263jCGg

And the "20 Years Later" remake: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvwz58OuZi8

This gets me teary-eyed all the time and makes me wonder what special memories i can share with my kids. There was also a news documentary on how Coke and its ad agency tracked down the original talents to remake the spot. The TVC must have won tons of awards.

WampumTribe
07-12-2007, 12:02 AM
Songs that sell.

Here are some songs that were in perfect harmony (pun intended) with the TV commercials they were used in:

"Oh Lord, Won't You Buy Me A Mercedes Benz" by Janis Joplin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjTuRDW2NHY

"It Must Be Love" by Madness
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BLI0o_-EOE

"Made To Last" by Semisonic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MiQI-zqJP0

"Mas Que Nada" by Tambo Trio
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbFmK4zZ9Ys

"Mama Loves Mambo" by Perry Como
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANFZWTLzZbk

"Something In The Air" by Thunderclap Newman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa51ieQa8ec

Musical Chairs spot from British Airways
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8beJ2wxdv1M

Don't know the tune from the "Musical Chairs" TVC.

Off-topic: The Nike "Airport" spot featured the about-to-be-humbled mighty 1998 Brazil World Cup squad, a team that drew comparisons to their 1970 squad (the hands-down choice as the greatest football team of all-time). Checkout Ronaldinho's unbelievable dribbling in the "Olé" spot.

bluewing
07-12-2007, 08:00 PM
limewire da best!

piracy in my own home! convenient!

sulit sa dsl!

JonarSabilano
07-13-2007, 08:35 PM
limewire da best!

sulit sa dsl!

Oks ang Limewire na 'yan. Just make sure you've got adequate virus protection.

Naka-download na rin ako ng BitTorrent sa office, pero hindi ko pa rin ma-gets kung paano maka-download...

BigBlue
07-16-2007, 12:59 PM
limewire da best!

sulit sa dsl!

Naka-download na rin ako ng BitTorrent sa office, pero hindi ko pa rin ma-gets kung paano maka-download...

Jonar! Opismeyt! pano mo nagawa yan sa opis? di ba na block ng firewall or na-detect ng WST? gusto ko din nyan!

JonarSabilano
07-16-2007, 03:50 PM
limewire da best!

sulit sa dsl!

Jonar! Opismeyt! pano mo nagawa yan sa opis? di ba na block ng firewall or na-detect ng WST? gusto ko din nyan!

Shhhh. PM kita. ;D

Posterized
07-17-2007, 03:10 PM
^Mga katotong opismeyts. Mas mahusay ang multiply. Wala pa tayong sabit!

JonarSabilano
07-17-2007, 03:15 PM
^Mga katotong opismeyts. Mas mahusay ang multiply. Wala pa tayong sabit!

Parang nag-iba na ang search engine ng multiply. Ang bagal na, kakaunti pa ang matches at hindi pa eksakto sa hinahanap mo. Kahit naka-DAP ako, mabagal pa rin ang download. >:(

WampumTribe
07-18-2007, 01:55 AM
Pinaka-classic na cover, "Wild Thing" ni Romeo Lee habang back-up ang Eraserheds. Laging inaabangan sa UP nuon.

irateluvmachine
07-25-2007, 01:33 PM
http://www.soundclick.com/thechenelins

banda ko. ;D

pagpasensyahan nyo yung quality ng ibang mga mp3's na nandyan, we're trying to find the time and money to record our first decent-quality EP. i'm the drummer, but i sing lead (or try to) on the song "ESR! (Endshift Resign!)", our song about call center life, partly based on a true story.

(preparing for virtual tomatoes and mineral water bottles to be thrown my way...)

irateluvmachine
07-25-2007, 01:35 PM

yes, it has. *still doesn't look like the old dredd...parang gweilos pa rin itsura niya...but if it's any consolation, they've got a decent men's room, unlike the old dredd.

we had the good fortune to play there last july 14...ok yung PA nila, they were playing datu's tribe's "galit kami sa baboy" album while the bands were setting up. *:D

irateluvmachine
07-25-2007, 11:05 PM

ayus ah... ;D old-school pinoy rock...

may nakita ka na bang mga mp3 ng compilation album na "BIYAHENG ILALIM"? LA 105.9 days yun, IMHO the best hard rock compilation from the LA 105 era...

flsfnoeraekadad
07-26-2007, 01:01 AM
May bagong album si Chris Cornell.

Nakita ko yung latest video single nya, parang ang emo-ish. ;D

5FootCarrot
08-06-2007, 03:15 PM
Another cool remake I've been meaning to add here is 311's version of "Reggae Got Soul," originally by Toots & the Maytals IIRC. I like the original version all right, but the 311 version (on the Surf's Up soundtrack) has a happy, bouncy, party feel to it, and it's nice to hear SA Martinez in the lead vocal spotlight for a change :)

cool_at_heart
08-06-2007, 06:56 PM
Speaking of Toots and the Maytals, I love their song 'Funky Kingston'.

toti_mendiola
08-13-2007, 03:47 PM
Patay na pala si Anthony Wilson 57.Founder of the Brit indie music label ng Joy Division at nung maging New Order na siloa at ang Happy Mondays. Kidney Cancer.Rock in Peace.

danny
08-14-2007, 03:54 AM
Patay na pala si Anthony Wilson 57.Founder of the Brit indie music label ng Joy Division at nung maging New Order na siloa at ang Happy Mondays. Kidney Cancer.Rock in Peace.

There goes another indie legend.* >:(

Come to think of it, mayroon akong Cd ng New Order at Happy Mondays pero Joy Divison wala. Cassette Tape lang. Weird. hehehe. ;D* Makahanap nga sa second hand store.

irateluvmachine
08-14-2007, 10:29 AM

Come to think of it, mayroon akong Cd ng New Order at Happy Mondays pero Joy Divison wala. Cassette Tape lang. Weird. hehehe. ;D* Makahanap nga sa second hand store.

dami pa rin siguro sa recto...back in the days when i had a lot of free time from work, recto still had a good selection of rare CD's/cassettes...

speaking of which, anybody know where i can get (preferably) CD's of the old LA 105.9 compilations? nothing like old-school pinoy rock to trip on, when almost everybody significant in today's scene sounds the same...

JonarSabilano
08-14-2007, 11:32 AM

dami pa rin siguro sa recto...back in the days when i had a lot of free time from work, recto still had a good selection of rare CD's/cassettes...

speaking of which, anybody know where i can get (preferably) CD's of the old LA 105.9 compilations?* nothing like old-school pinoy rock to trip on, when almost everybody significant in today's scene sounds the same...

Even more evident is the absence of real old-school DJs from radio like "The Doctor" Francis Zialcita. Y'know, 'yung nanggagatong ng awayang hip-hop at metal...

danny
08-18-2007, 04:06 AM

speaking of which, anybody know where i can get (preferably) CD's of the old LA 105.9 compilations?* nothing like old-school pinoy rock to trip on, when almost everybody significant in today's scene sounds the same...

Noon sa ilalim ng UE may Khumbmela (did I spell it rigt?) Boutique. Dun ko nabili yung Lloyd Cole and the Commotion at kung ano ano pa. Teka sa kabila naman (anong sinehan nga ba yun?), daming hardcore at punk na nakaistambay para mangotong.

Today's EMO scene seems more like the Glam' Metal act of yore. I don't know but they seem to be overdoing the showmanship side.

The band that really got my attention is Bedouin Soundclash. For me, they sound like a combination of The Clash and The Housemartins. Coolest of cool. I think. :D

Jonar, how about the gatungan between the punks and the new wavers? ;D

flsfnoeraekadad
08-18-2007, 10:55 AM
Anong nangyayari sa RX? Bakit sobrang hina ng signal nila sa radyo???

john_paul_manahan
08-19-2007, 04:15 AM
according to my sources...

nagkaproblema sila sa kanilang antenna. blame it on dodong and egay. :)

toti_mendiola
08-19-2007, 08:00 PM

Noon sa ilalim ng UE may Khumbmela (did I spell it rigt?) Boutique. Dun ko nabili yung Lloyd Cole and the Commotion at kung ano ano pa. Teka sa kabila naman (anong sinehan nga ba yun?), daming hardcore at punk na nakaistambay para mangotong.

Today's EMO scene seems more like the Glam' Metal act of yore. I don't know* but they seem to be overdoing the showmanship side.

The band that really got my attention is Bedouin Soundclash.* *For me, they sound like a combination of The Clash and The Housemartins. Coolest of cool. I think. :D

Danny that is cartimar recto. Where i bought all my bootleg dirty dozen,twisted cross albums.

cool_at_heart
08-19-2007, 09:45 PM
Is anyone familiar with the Digable Planets ,the Jungle brothers and Afrika Bambaataa, sobrang galing nitong mga ito. DP's 'reachin' album and JB's 'straight out the jungle' are masterpieces!

Afrika Bam also made the soundtrack to that famous nike shox commercial, when it was first introduced to the market. This is the commercial wherein superstars like rasheed, jason williams etc...was freestylin' with the ball, while the sound of whistles, balls screeching and dribbling played in the background. One of the best nike commercials ever made, next to mj's 'tell me that i'm old' ad. :)

toti_mendiola
08-19-2007, 10:09 PM
diggable Planets with their horn section and that lone chick vocals astig! "cool like that chill like that!"

5FootCarrot
08-20-2007, 08:17 AM
I remember Digable Planets. I was never able to find a copy of Reachin' but I do have "Rebirth of Slick" (the "cool like that" song) on my iPod. They had another song come out on MTV, but can't remember the title.

JonarSabilano
08-20-2007, 10:01 AM

Parang hindi ko naabutan 'yun. Puro kuwento-kuwento lang ng uncle ko. Sabi niya, nagkaka-slam dancing daw sa ibabaw ng SM Carpark, at New Wave pa ang Introvoys. ;D

danny
08-21-2007, 01:57 AM
Cartimar!

Toti, ang natatandaang kong remnant ng punk era sa San Beda e si Jayvee Anarkista. Palaging dala dala ang kanyang messenger bag na minsan may Chinese Red Star pin at may lamang tape ng "Philippine Violaters." ;D

No Future sa Pader!

cool_at_heart
08-21-2007, 10:28 PM
I remember Digable Planets. I was never able to find a copy of Reachin' but I do have "Rebirth of Slick" (the "cool like that" song) on my iPod. They had another song come out on MTV, but can't remember the title.

that would be 'nickel bag' ... 'a nickel bag of funk' :)

That's just the tip of the iceberg, the whole album is great!
One of the few albums na walang tapon.
It's been more than a decade they came out with that album, pero they still sound as fresh.
If i remember, yung digable planets, si john starks, charles oakley and anthony mason were still teammates sa knicks. :P

Sayang lang, they weren't able to follow up the success of their first album kaya parang naging one hit wonder, medyo political na kasi yung 'blowout comb' album, medyo malalim na and the beat's a bit darker kaya walang bumili ata, pero okay din. :) The best pa rin yung reachin'!

Personally, i feel mas bagay sila sa blue note records, kasi jazz talaga genre nila. It just so happened magaling din sila mag rap.

danny
08-22-2007, 02:18 AM
Blue Note records.... Acid Jazz!

toti_mendiola
08-22-2007, 07:54 AM
Cartimar!

Toti, ang natatandaang kong remnant ng punk era sa San Beda e si Jayvee Anarkista. Palaging dala dala ang kanyang messenger bag na minsan may Chinese Red Star pin at may lamang tape ng "Philippine Violaters." ;D

No Future sa Pader!

Danny,

jayvee is still doing the rounds of schools as a speaker in punk/hardcore symposiums. hehe. After their single via compilation together with other seminal ug punk bands was produced and released by Balingit of the Wuds they momentarily disbanded to continue further studies. Their frontman screamer is now Atty. mumuy an upgrade of the neofascist mumuy back in C.A.S. days, pocholo i heard is in the u.s. for world domination and their bassist jeremy the rising sun emperor,a former UAAP blue eagle, has shied away from the scene since then.
btw: the phil. violators is doing the ug music scene again. sana magreunion na rin ang violent playground.

irateluvmachine
08-22-2007, 01:18 PM
^would you be referring to jeremy nishimori, who briefly played for ateneo in the 1994 season? bahista pala yun...anong pangalan ng banda niya? if it's underground punk and got aired in LA 105.9, malamang kilala ko yung banda by name...

which reminds me of other varsity players dabbling in (rock) music...also from LA 105.9 days. the lead guitarist of the band bonehead (from DLS-Z and later on CSB) used to play reserve forward for the DLS-Z bengals (nung di pa sila junior archers)...know of any other varsity players in the rock scene?

toti_mendiola
08-27-2007, 01:35 PM
Tulong! Nakalimutan ko na kung sino kumanta ng "your smiles and jokes". di ako pinatulog kagabi ng letseng banda na yun eh dahil di ko maalala.

Kid Cubao
08-28-2007, 09:38 AM
i just want to give a major shout-out to the philippine madrigal singers for being named the best choir in the world after topping the 2007 European Choral Grand Prix in arezzo, italy. this is their second time to win this accolade; the first time they won this honor was in tours, france in 1997. congratulations also to choirmaster mark anthony carpio for upholding the tradition of excellence originally set by founder and national artist dr. andrea "OA" veneracion.

danny
08-28-2007, 05:06 PM
Cartimar!

No Future sa Pader!

Danny,

jayvee is still doing the rounds of schools as a speaker in punk/hardcore symposiums. hehe. After their single via compilation together with other seminal ug punk bands was produced and released by Balingit of the Wuds they momentarily disbanded to continue further studies. Their frontman screamer is now Atty. mumuy an upgrade of the neofascist mumuy back in C.A.S. days, pocholo i heard is in the u.s. for world domination and their bassist jeremy the rising sun emperor,a former UAAP blue eagle, has shied away from the scene since then.
btw: the phil. violators is doing the ug music scene again. sana magreunion na rin ang violent playground.

Mumuy is now lawyer cum punk rocker? :D

Mayroon bang mga bagong album ang Philippine Violators? Si Chikoy Pura? Buhay pa ba?

danny
08-28-2007, 05:07 PM
Tulong! Nakalimutan ko na kung sino kumanta ng "your smiles and jokes". di ako pinatulog kagabi ng letseng banda na yun eh dahil di ko maalala.

Killing Joke?

toti_mendiola
08-28-2007, 08:20 PM
Cartimar!

No Future sa Pader!

Danny,

Mumuy is now lawyer cum punk rocker?* :D

Mayroon bang mga bagong album ang Philippine Violators? Si Chikoy Pura? Buhay pa ba?

Phil vio made a comeback and did a series of ug gigs but disbanded as quick as their single sikay na si pedro. :)

chikoy Pura is alive and kicking and even had a panel judge stint at a bandiscovery show in ch. 9. He and the jerks are very much around the gig circuit. yung huling panuod mo ba sa jerks eh yung magkasama pa tayo sa mayrics at me live recording sila na prinoduce ni gary granada?

danny
08-29-2007, 01:21 AM
The last time we went to Mayrics, it was Indio I who was playing.

I do have the live recording of the Jerks back home. My Gary Granada tapes like "Pagsamba at Pakikibaka", they just withered away. ;)

JonarSabilano
08-29-2007, 10:47 AM
May regular Friday gig sa 70's Bistro ang The Jerks. Meron pa akong album nilang "Haligi ng Maynila". Malupit din mag-cover si Chikoy ng "The Joker". Hehe.

john_paul_manahan
08-29-2007, 04:19 PM
i know meron din sa Tiendesitas this month....

danny
08-30-2007, 02:48 AM
May regular Friday gig sa 70's Bistro ang The Jerks. Meron pa akong album nilang "Haligi ng Maynila". Malupit din mag-cover si Chikoy ng "The Joker". Hehe.

Hehehehe....Ayos! Buhay pa 70's Bistro.

Tiendesitas?

JonarSabilano
08-30-2007, 08:34 AM

Hehehehe....Ayos! Buhay pa 70's Bistro.

Tiendesitas?

Yep, buhay na buhay pa. Lunes yata, Parokya ang tumutugtog. Minsan, napanood ko ring tumugtog ng 4-song set ang Indio I. May event kasi ang org namin noon sa 70's.

Sa Tiendesitas naman, may dalawang venue: 'Yung plaza sa gitna, malapit sa foodcourt; tsaka isang maliit na acoustic place sa gilid, malapit sa SM Hypermart. Magaling din 'yung showband na tumutugtog sa foodcourt tuwing weekend. May regular silang jammer na sobrang kulit -- kakanta ng "I'll Be There For You" ni Bon Jovi, sabay buwelta ng "Don't Let Me Down" ng Beatles. Lupeeeeet.

5FootCarrot
08-30-2007, 02:24 PM
Hilly Kristal, founder CBGB, has died at age 75.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070829/music_nm/cbgb_kristal_dc;_ylt=ArkP9Z0evatBQdYhbJf9PsaVEhkF

irateluvmachine
08-30-2007, 07:37 PM
Hilly Kristal, founder CBGB, has died at age 75.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070829/music_nm/cbgb_kristal_dc;_ylt=ArkP9Z0evatBQdYhbJf9PsaVEhkF

rest in peace. :(

JonarSabilano
10-10-2007, 10:23 AM
'Takteng "Papaya Song" 'yan, oo. Nakaka-LSS.

flsfnoeraekadad
10-10-2007, 10:14 PM
Tiririririt.

Tiririririt.

Di ko na alam susunod hahahaha.

tigerman
01-19-2008, 01:30 AM
Top 20 Albums Courtesy of Odyssey
as of January 15, 2008

1. Willie Revillame - Willie Sings Camo Saturno
2. Nina - Nina Featuring The Hits Of Barry Manilow
3. Parokya Ni Edgar - Solid
4. Edu Manzano - World\'s Greatest Dance Steps
5. Sitti Navarro - Mybossanova
6. Martin Nievera - Milestones
7. Kyla - Heartfelt
8. Sitti Navarro - Cafe Bossa
9. Urbandub - Under Southern Lights
10. Aiza Seguerra - Para Lang Sa\'yo
11. Piolo Pascual - Timeless
12. Sharon Cuneta - Isn\'t It Romantic 2
13. Kris Aquino - Love & Inspiration
14. Various Artists - Let\'s Do The Papaya
15. Christian Bautista - Christian Live
16. Jay R - Soul In Love
17. Nina - Live
18. Various Artists - Maging Sino Ka Man (OST)
19. Lea Salonga - Inspired
20. Callalily - Destination XYZ

Can somebody save the opm industry?

No. 9 is the only saving grace in an otherwise &@*!^#* list.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

john_paul_manahan
01-19-2008, 02:37 AM
*currently liking sarah bareilles*

why would you say that the list above is ******?

irateluvmachine
01-19-2008, 03:20 PM
^see #1, 4, 13 and 14 for a very concise explanation...

but i must say, i am very pleased to see urbandub in this list...you don't hear their songs in mainstream (read: pangmasa) radio, but they've got a very strong following and are arguably one of the best pinoy rock has to offer these days...

john_paul_manahan
01-20-2008, 07:41 PM
noted irate. the problem is in the generalizing. which i kinda detest since there are great artists on that grouping.

and yes, urdandub is cool.

danny
02-08-2008, 04:37 AM
^see #1, 4, 13 and 14 for a very concise explanation...

but i must say, i am very pleased to see urbandub in this list...you don't hear their songs in mainstream (read: pangmasa) radio, but they've got a very strong following and are arguably one of the best pinoy rock has to offer these days...

Mainstream radio does not necessarily mean pang-masa radio.* 105.1 is a mainstream pop-Jazz station but would not be considered pang-masa by the self-styled Jazz afficionado crowd. The same crowd who try so* hard to to love Jazz, but would not really be able to swallow Coltraine's "anti-jazz" jazz.* :D

I like Sitti Navarro's Mybossanova at # 5. In fact my wife and I* bought one.* She reminds me of Astrud. Sitti is better than Bebel Gilberto in my list. You should hear her take on U2s With or Without You, The Style Council's My Ever Changing Moods, Basia's Time and Tide and Rivermaya's Hinahanap Hanap Kita. Coolest of cool.* 8)* Bossa Nova, just like Reggae and Ska,* is a good musical style to use in* reinterpreting* music by other artists. I think Sitti did a really good job. Otherwise I would have stuck with my old Stan Getz collection.

Anyway, thanks Jonar and John. I was able to catch Chikoy Pura by chance back there at Tiendesitas. While strolling along with our friends, I heard a singer blurting out "Reklamo ng Reklamo!" I remembered what you guys posted here. Kaya ayun, niyaya ko munang makinig kay Chikoy.

danny
02-08-2008, 04:51 AM
As to indie-bands who jumped to the mainstream, in my opinion they are no different to any local pop artist.

Mainstream pop is no different from mainstream rock. They* are enjoyed by the same masa who simply like one genre over the other. Kung sa pabahuan lang ng crowd, mas mababaho ang nanunuod ng free concerts ng mga "emote" na rock bands kesa concerts ni Sharon Cuneta.:D

Kaya nga enjoy mga punk concerts nuon. Ang baho ng crowd! Mga taong grasa! Masang masa! Kaya nga punkista* dahil masa. Kaya nga rock dahil masa.* Ewan ko ba kung bakit ayaw ng ilan ma-identify na masa, e pang masa naman talaga ang rock and roll. :D

As to the list, that's OPM music.* Urbandub is more foreign sounding than Edu Manzano. It just so happen that the list does not reflect some of our personal choices. Who are we to say our musical taste is better than Juan de la Cruz who bought these albums?

danny
02-08-2008, 05:59 AM
The thing is, a lot of local bands continue to worship the musical styles of the West. For many local pinoys, we readily accept posers as good simply because they look and sound foreign. Honestly, tunog OPM ba yan? So let' not assume that we are saving pinoy music by supporting foreign sounding pinoy bands who are simply riding the latest EMO bandwagon.

Now, anyone out there has an album of Joe Strummer and The Mescaleros?* Now that's* good music. ;D To those who haven't heard of Joe, here is a link to Joe's rock and roll music for the masses (I'm not talking about Depeche Mode). No hint of snobbish elitism from this great artist.* http://www.hell-cat.com/artists/artist/39/Joe_Strummer_And_The_Mescaleros

JonarSabilano
02-08-2008, 12:38 PM
As to the list, that's OPM music.* Urbandub is more foreign sounding than Edu Manzano. It just so happen that the list does not reflect some of our personal choices. Who are we to say our musical taste is better than Juan de la Cruz who bought these albums?

Hear! Hear! :)

salsa caballero
02-08-2008, 03:23 PM
Shout out for the Out of Body Special. Time Magazine was spot on -- they probably DO funk harder than any other Asian band...On second thought, Pinoys really know how to groove. Anyone else here digging the Pinoy Soul Movement CD?

toti_mendiola
02-08-2008, 03:35 PM
cosmic love? pinoy stories? sinosikat belonged to the movement before the major label sign up.

toti_mendiola
02-08-2008, 03:39 PM
before the cd i used to see them strut it in saGuijo. got hold of some of their samplers though. cosmic love with sun valley crew is a great act.

danny
02-08-2008, 04:27 PM
before the cd* i used to see them strut it in saGuijo. got hold of some of their samplers though. cosmic love with sun valley crew is a great act.

Pre, "selling out" has always been the issue against indie acts who become mainstream via major label contract.

How do these bands handle such accusations hurled against them? Is it always the goal to get singed-up or are there indie bands that would rather do it on their own to preserve their integrity?

The trend, I think is not to rely anymore on major label contracts (with the dwindling returns and the declining CD sales across the board) but do more gigs and sell more self-produced CDs or downloadable mp3s. Radiohead started challenging the current business model with their latest release. Kaya ba ito ng pinoy music artists?

toti_mendiola
02-08-2008, 05:53 PM
before the cd i used to see them strut it in saGuijo. got hold of some of their samplers though. cosmic love with sun valley crew is a great act.

Pre, "selling out" has always been the issue against indie acts who become mainstream via major label contract.

How do these bands handle such accusations hurled against them? Is it always the goal to get singed-up or are there indie bands that would rather do it on their own to preserve their integrity?

The trend, I think is not to rely anymore on major label contracts (with the dwindling returns and the declining CD sales across the board) but do more gigs and sell more self-produced CDs or downloadable mp3s. Radiohead started challenging the current business model with their latest release. Kaya ba ito ng pinoy music artists?

The smashing pumpkins route should serve them well. sign with an indie label and let the major record outfit distribute the records.

irateluvmachine
02-10-2008, 08:54 AM

for me, selling out wouldn't just constitute signing to a major label...it's more about changing your sound and/or image to be more marketable to the record-buying public...as a struggling musician for the better part of the last 10-12 years, i still wouldn't mind getting signed up to a major label, but never will i allow myself to compromise my band's sound just to make a few bucks...that, to me, is the real essence of selling out. it's not signing to the major per se, but more of changing an important part of the band's sound/image to satisfy the general public.

there are several bands, though...mostly the underground punk/hardcore bands...that stay indie throughout it all to preserve their integrity. case in point - askals and deceased, two mainstays of the pinoy punk scene of the '80s, and still going strong AFAIK as indie bands...after some 20-25 years together! dead ends is another punk band that could've easily gone major (like the wuds and philippine violators did) during the pinoy rock explosion of the '90s, but they chose not to. sayang wala nang dead ends...their bassist jay dimalanta passed away some 10+ years ago...

danny
02-13-2008, 06:19 AM
Yup. That's one way to put it. However, for many "possesive" indie-alternative fan, it's all about prote4cting the idea that the music music will not be bastardized by mainstream media. An underground-mainstream dichotomy.

There is reallly somehting about Joss Stone that makes me smile. :)

Kid Cubao
02-13-2008, 08:09 AM
iba ang sitwasyon ng mga musikerong noypi sa mga foreign artists. for instance, many foreign musical acts can live off their royalties from CD and download sales. on the other hand, local musicians earn mainly through live performances and endorsements; halos di sila kumikita sa album sales.

as far as "selling out" is concerned, the very definition of the term itself lies in the eye of the beholder. for musical artists, the act of selling out connotes abandoning your musical roots because you were told to do so. for fans, however, we have to be aware that many of them are somewhat possessive with the knowledge that they were followers of this band when they were still starting out, etc. there's this element na "sa akin ka lang," so they get disappointed when they move to the mainstream, attract many new fans, and become corporate darlings.

toti_mendiola
02-13-2008, 08:43 AM
Noel Tio. Guitarist of the Joey Ayala led Ang Bagong Lumad died of stroke yesterday 2/12/08. He was 46yo. May he Rest in Harmonic Peace.

danny
02-14-2008, 02:39 AM
Noel Tio. Guitarist of* the Joey Ayala* led Ang Bagong Lumad died of stroke yesterday 2/12/08. He was 46yo.* May he Rest in Harmonic Peace.

Rest in peace. "Walang Hanggang Paalam" kasama... :(

danny
02-14-2008, 02:53 AM
Pareng kid, even mainstream* foreign acts are now being affected by the relative decline of album sales. Kakaunti na lang ang stadium acts like U2.

Thus, back to the touring road for many.* Majority of the non-mainstream foreign bands continue to rely on good old fashion gigs. However, unlike local artists, they have a wider market to cover.* :(

danny
02-29-2008, 05:30 PM
Anyone here who remembers The Fall?

Just recently ripped their compilation album called "50,000 Fall Fans Can't Be Wrong". ;D

A quirky and darker alternative to The Smiths. Their songs are indeed for the peretual now. I heard Franz Ferdinand did a cover of one of their song. Ano kayang title nun?

flsfnoeraekadad
02-29-2008, 11:10 PM
U23D. Mall of Asia IMAX Cinema. Coming this April.

www.u23dmovie.com

Tickets for Php 500 a pop.

irateluvmachine
03-01-2008, 09:04 AM
and yet another mainstay of pinoy rock/punk in the '80s and '90s has joined the great rock 'n' roll band up in the sky...pero last year pa, as per myspace. louie "weslu" guiang of private stock, GI and the idiots and put3ska has his own myspace profile, but apparently a tribute profile - "Weslu (1968-2007)". doesn't say how he had passed on...

speaking of private stock, i've just recently re-discovered this band...first heard of them in the mid-'90s when they had a brief comeback - "kulay" and a few other songs whose titles i don't remember got good airplay in NU107. they were different from most other of the '80s "brave new world" pinoy punk scene, taking a cue from '60s british invasion bands for their "mod"-influenced punk. interesting trivia about this band is that two of their ex-members may be related to butch maniego (aka roadwarrior)...who had discussed private stock in one of his rare visits to PEx's music & radio forum.

toti_mendiola
03-01-2008, 10:15 AM
private stock-the rockabillies from CEU dent. R.I.P. Dirty dozen pioneers.

and yet another mainstay of pinoy rock/punk in the '80s and '90s has joined the great rock 'n' roll band up in the sky...pero last year pa, as per myspace. louie "weslu" guiang of private stock, GI and the idiots and put3ska has his own myspace profile, but apparently a tribute profile - "Weslu (1968-2007)". doesn't say how he had passed on...

speaking of private stock, i've just recently re-discovered this band...first heard of them in the mid-'90s when they had a brief comeback - "kulay" and a few other songs whose titles i don't remember got good airplay in NU107. they were different from most other of the '80s "brave new world" pinoy punk scene, taking a cue from '60s british invasion bands for their "mod"-influenced punk. interesting trivia about this band is that two of their ex-members may be related to butch maniego (aka roadwarrior)...who had discussed private stock in one of his rare visits to PEx's music & radio forum.

irateluvmachine
03-01-2008, 12:20 PM
^oo nga...they have some songs from their debut album "hype's cool" that have a strong rockabilly influence...but they consider themselves more of a mod-type band...especially if you hear their mid-'90s comeback material.

sayang at di sila sumikat...but it's good to know that they're all successful in their post-musical lives, and still very supportive of the music they used to play. ;D

toti_mendiola
03-02-2008, 01:29 PM
Sabi nga nila, No Future sa Pader.

bchoter
03-02-2008, 02:59 PM
FILSCAP needs to get its act together in protetcting the rights of the musicians and songwriters. In the US, ASCAP has a good performance monitoring and royalties distribution in place ensuring that the members earn from their works

JonarSabilano
03-06-2008, 07:42 PM
and yet another mainstay of pinoy rock/punk in the '80s and '90s has joined the great rock 'n' roll band up in the sky...pero last year pa, as per myspace.* louie "weslu" guiang of private stock, GI and the idiots and put3ska has his own myspace profile, but apparently a tribute profile - "Weslu (1968-2007)".* doesn't say how he had passed on...

Bandmeyt, ang alam ko, namatay si Weslu sa isang motorcycle accident. And yeah, last year pa siya pumanaw. :-[

toti_mendiola
03-06-2008, 09:17 PM
Okay siguro nung lamay ni weslu. Me mga kapatid sigurong magwawagayway ng twisted red cross na flag.

tigerman
03-17-2008, 06:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfbQSi6_8RY

Music video of "The Stone" by Ashes Divide. A new band formed by A Perfect Circle members Billy and Josh.

I just hope APC won't breakup.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

JonarSabilano
03-18-2008, 08:00 AM
Okay siguro nung lamay ni weslu. Me mga kapatid sigurong magwawagayway ng twisted red cross na flag.

Nagkaroon daw ng motorcade ng mga scooter sa Timog.

stonecold316
03-19-2008, 01:29 AM
Hi guys, sino mga Eraserheads fanatic dito?

stonecold316

john_paul_manahan
03-23-2008, 02:28 PM
btw, Campus Radio is back. just move your dials to 99.5

stonecold316
04-03-2008, 06:23 PM
btw, Campus Radio is back. just move your dials to 99.5

that's nice to hear. si Triggerman pala wala ng work.

stonecold316

JonarSabilano
05-22-2008, 08:58 AM
Nag-break out si David Archuletta kahapon.

Sayang si David Cook. :-\

john_paul_manahan
05-22-2008, 01:23 PM
then again, Cook's the man by 12 percentage points.

flsfnoeraekadad
05-24-2008, 11:54 AM
Sa mga mahilig sa R&B dyan, lumabas na ang bagong album ni Usher.

Definitely a must-buy. All tracks are good.

toti_mendiola
05-29-2008, 12:25 PM
Patay na pala si Howlin Dave 3 days ago at merong tribute sa kaniya kagabi sa brothers moustache. Dami sigurong pinoy rock legend kagabi dun.
RIP Mr. DAvid

Raging Blue
05-29-2008, 02:04 PM
Patay na pala si Howlin Dave 3 days ago at merong tribute sa kaniya kagabi sa brothers moustache. Dami sigurong pinoy rock legend kagabi dun.
RIP Mr. DAvid

:'(

MonL
05-29-2008, 03:51 PM
In yesterday's teaser prior to Game 5 of the Celtics-Pistons series, BTV played "Let Me Take You Home Tonight" by the rock group (who else?) Boston. That cut came from their smash debut album released in 1976 which also included the song "More Than A Feeling."

The band was formed and led by MIT college and masters gradute, inventor and engineer Tom Scholz on guitars and by the late Brad Delp on vocals.

danny
06-26-2008, 12:49 AM
In yesterday's teaser prior to Game 5 of the Celtics-Pistons series, BTV played "Let Me Take You Home Tonight" by the rock group (who else?) Boston. That cut came from their smash debut album released in 1976 which also included the song "More Than A Feeling."

The band was formed and led by MIT college and masters gradute, inventor and engineer Tom Scholz on guitars and by the late Brad Delp on vocals.

1976? Ang tagal na niyan ah. :D

Lyna
06-28-2008, 05:28 PM
I love listening to "Somewhere over the rainbow", Jason Castro's version.. ^_^

kakainlove.. inspiring..

flsfnoeraekadad
06-29-2008, 01:01 AM
Coldplay is out with a new release.

salsa caballero
06-30-2008, 12:16 PM
It used to be that after an especially* hard day at the office, I would pour me a double Johnnie black and throw in a couple of ice cubes from the fridge. Then, I would head on to my couch in the living room, switch on an incandescent or two, then slide on Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue" into my CD tray. Nice. After the first few strains of "So What", I am good to go. Nothing sounded better on my AE 100's than that.

It would appear though that THAT routine is going to be in for a little bit of change. You see, I just picked up the deluxe edition of Amy Winehouse' album, "Frank", and I am just utterly, totally blown away. I've shared in the opinion that today's lady vocalists aren't built like Billie Holliday, Sarah Vaughn and Nina Simone anymore. The kind that sings from experience and wraps each lyric iin just the right amount of emotion. No useless histrionics and nods to ubiquitous "belter" stylings. Oh I've heard a few of today's crop, mind you-- and many of them are good. Erykah Badu comes to mind as a contemporary facsimile of Billie. Even our very own Mischka Adams does, with her clever phrasing as she does a cover or two. Unfortunately, to me at least, what these technically proficient ladies seemed to lack was depth. This is where Ms. Winehouse trumps them.

The lady is a gem. She's got all the tools and none of the usual accoutrements. First off, without meaning to sound racist, she isn't black. She is in fact, Jewish(!). Next, she isn't even Jewish-American. She's British. Lastly, word has it that Amy Winehouse is all of 25, AT MOST. So one naturally wonders where that aching comes from, seeing how she really doesn't trace roots to Mother Africa, never lived in the "projects", or been divorced half-a-dozen times. My mini-monitors can't distinguish race however, and to my untrained ear, Ms. Winehouse sounds black as ebony, like she was raised in Harlem, or New Orleans, or Birmingham, Alabama or some such corner of America where the pathos of black peoples' struggle with poverty and its concommitant social problems, resonates. The speakers don't measure time as well, and on some tracks of "Frank", I am just as easily transported to a smoky dive of a saloon in any of the aforementioned places, (check out "Someone To Watch Over Me", "Teach Me Tonight" and "Around Midnight".) Which is not to say she can't do contemporary. That she does with aplomb. Her "F**k Me Pumps", "Take The Box" and "Stronger Than Me" come to mind here. As the remixes on this double disc will show you, she can even do house. Again, i mean no disrespect to Ms. Winehouse, but what on earth did she grow up on, that drove her to sing as soulfully as she does.

Yes, as I've told you, I've been blown away...by a Jewish-English lady who signs like Billie, channels Sarah and grooves like Nina (Simone). I had to add that surname there, if you get my drift. It would, after all, be sacrilegious not to.

salsa caballero
06-30-2008, 04:58 PM
Just learned that this lady has issues, both personal and substance-related. Guess I've been hiding under a rock all this time :D Well, at least I learned where all that raw emotion comes from when she sings. Turns out she was a mere 19 when Frank, the album, was first issued. Dang. What a monumental waste of talent if she doesn't get her head screwed on right, eventually.

Kid Cubao
06-30-2008, 07:53 PM
hehe, di mo pala alam yung issues ni mareng amy ;D

well, if it's any consolation, amy winehouse is trudging down the beaten path of brilliant, talented, but utterly tormented torch singers like, you said it, billie holiday and sarah vaughan. "God bless the child that's got his own, that's got his own..."

Raging Blue
07-01-2008, 03:12 PM
And don't forget the late great female rocker Janis Joplin.

"Oh Lord, can you buy me a Mercedes Benz?"

tigerman
07-02-2008, 11:54 PM

What can you say with the album?

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

flsfnoeraekadad
07-03-2008, 01:15 AM

What can you say with the album?

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

The album is oh so super effin awesome, lalo na yung song na Viva La Vida and its lyrics that take subtle potshots of the Roman Catholic Church. Violet Hill is equally impressive, also Strawberry Swing and Yes. Also, the beginning of the intro track is similar with the ending of the last track. You should be able to notice that. Hehe.

The other songs are also great, pero hindi pa ako na-LSS sa mga ibang yon tulad ng 4 songs na yan. If you already haven't listened to it, you probably need to do now, may youtube naman. Or kung gusto mo ilagay sa iPod mo, may torrents. ;D

atenean_blooded
07-10-2008, 02:36 AM
I like Coldplay's new album, although the sound's different from their previous work. The opening and ending tracks almost sound like U2, even.

The b-sides versions of some songs like "Lost!" are nicer than the ones on the actual album.

JonarSabilano
07-14-2008, 04:01 PM
I just got my first-ever bass guitar from a friend who used to play with Grin Department and The Breed, among others. It's a third-hand X-Trek bass, weighing far less than your usual bass guitar, in near-mint condition, and handles well too. I'll be posting pics here once I get hold of a decent camera.

Speaking of which, I'm excited about our first-ever gig with irateluvmachine. Watch out for Armando's Experience, coming soon.

Jaco D
07-14-2008, 09:41 PM
^^ Jonar, welcome to the low-life. ;) You might want to frequent the Philmusic.com bass forum (run by an Atenean by the name of Jim Ayson) to keep tabs on the close-knit bass fraternity. You'd be surprised how friendly and unassuming the folks are over there as compared to their guitar counterparts in the same site.

Nga pala, who's your friend who used to play bass for The Breed - Johnny Besa (another Atenean by the way)?

JonarSabilano
07-15-2008, 09:41 AM
^^ Jonar, welcome to the low-life.* ;)* You might want to frequent the Philmusic.com bass forum (run by an Atenean by the name of Jim Ayson) to keep tabs on the close-knit bass fraternity.* You'd be surprised how friendly and unassuming the folks are over there as compared to their guitar counterparts in the same site.

Nga pala, who's your friend who used to play bass for The Breed - Johnny Besa (another Atenean by the way)?

Yep, I've been a PM member for two months now. Still in "newbie" status, but piling up the post count.

I got the bass from Gerard de Dios -- I don't remember if he was a regular part of the line-up, but he did play a couple of sessions with them. He's also Atenean, but transferred in the middle of HS.

Kid Cubao
07-15-2008, 03:02 PM
i had a fender jazzmaster bass guitar in high school. i gave it to my nephew, and now he's gigging with friends from the call center music scene.

Jaco D
07-15-2008, 10:46 PM
Cubao, get it back!!!!!* Collector's item yan!* You'd be surprised how much a real-deal sixties-era Jazzmaster costs these days (they go in the $ thousands).* Swap it with a modern day Squier, which are great bang-for-the buck pieces by the way, and you'll still be ahead of the game (so will your nephew be with the new Squier).

tigerman
07-15-2008, 11:50 PM
What's the real story on the tsismis august 30 reunion concert of the Eraserheads?

Nagkaayos na ba si Ely and Raymund?

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

bluewing
07-16-2008, 12:21 AM
pare, para sa 10 million pesos, makikipagbati ako kahit kanino.

Kid Cubao
07-16-2008, 08:44 AM
Cubao, get it back!!!!! Collector's item yan! You'd be surprised how much a real-deal sixties-era Jazzmaster costs these days (they go in the $ thousands). Swap it with a modern day Squier, which are great bang-for-the buck pieces by the way, and you'll still be ahead of the game (so will your nephew be with the new Squier).

buti pinaalala mo. actually, di ko pa naman binigay talaga, kaya ko lang nasabing ganun ay dahil mas madalas lang gamitin ng bata ngayon ;D

it's the real deal. it's of 1972 vintage, and i bought it including its original genuine leather hardcase that looks better with age. it's got block markers, not dots, along the fingerboard. 2 pickups, and i love its warm and mellow tone (kahit patakbuhing amp ang gamit ko).

JonarSabilano
07-16-2008, 09:33 AM
Cubao, get it back!!!!!* Collector's item yan!* You'd be surprised how much a real-deal sixties-era Jazzmaster costs these days (they go in the $ thousands).* Swap it with a modern day Squier, which are great bang-for-the buck pieces by the way, and you'll still be ahead of the game (so will your nephew be with the new Squier).

buti pinaalala mo. actually, di ko pa naman binigay talaga, kaya ko lang nasabing ganun ay dahil mas madalas lang gamitin ng bata ngayon ;D

it's the real deal. it's of 1972 vintage, and i bought it including its original genuine leather hardcase that looks better with age. it's got block markers, not dots, along the fingerboard. 2 pickups, and i love its warm and mellow tone (kahit patakbuhing amp ang gamit ko).*

Daaaaaaaym. If I won the lotto today, I'd get one like that. Do you still play bass? ;D

Kid Cubao
07-16-2008, 10:01 AM
jonar, unfortunately, i don't get to play as often as i used to. in fact, numinipis na ang mga kalyo ko sa magkabilang fingertips. yan si jaco, malamang sesyonista na yan sa toronto ngayon, he might want to give us pointers--although baka fretless ang gamit nya.

anyway, here is how a fender bass sounds in the hands of the MASTER, the late, great james jamerson of motown. in this track, notice how the bass line is so melodic, it practically serves as a running counterpoint to the lead vocals. you've got to be schooled in the works of johann sebastian bach to come up with such a thing of beauty on bass. heto: http://youtube.com/watch?v=ND-iW51idC0

i would have loved to see a jam session between james jamerson and drummer bernard purdie. malamang hihinto ang mundo ng musika para makapanuod din.

JonarSabilano
07-16-2008, 10:33 AM
^ Listening to the youtube vid now. I have only one word to describe the bass line: "Delicious".

Jaco D
07-16-2008, 01:49 PM
yan si jaco, malamang sesyonista na yan sa toronto ngayon, he might want to give us pointers--although baka fretless ang gamit nya.

Cubao, are you kidding?* For me this is therapy.* I'd be lucky if I can find the time, skill, cohorts and "K" to play in front of an audience, so more often than not it's trying to play along with CDs in the privacy of the bedroom.* Speaking of Cubao (the place) there was a family (Vitan)* living behind the Nepa Q Mart area that rented out sound equipment and practice space in the 70s/80s.* The stuff they had during my time back home were name brand "segunda mano" stuff sourced from the US bases.* I heard that they've since liquidated their equipment on a piece-meal basis and whoever bought them got them cheap.* Because of E-bay, probably a lot of them may have been re-sold in Europe at double digit multiples vis-a-vis the Vitan selling prices. Deymmmmmm!!!!!

Jamerson and the Funk Brothers are a joy to listen to - very simple yet well executed melodies.* Walang ka kupas-kupas.* Of the original Funk Brothers that backed up the Motown big names tatatlo na lang ata silang nabubuhay, and in typical "buhay musikero" fashion not one of the Funk Brothers raked-in the big bucks unlike the artists they played for.* Kaya ako pa-therapy-therapy na lang* ;D

JonarSabilano
07-16-2008, 02:09 PM
yan si jaco, malamang sesyonista na yan sa toronto ngayon, he might want to give us pointers--although baka fretless ang gamit nya.

Cubao, are you kidding?* For me this is therapy.* I'd be lucky if I can find the time, skill, cohorts and "K" to play in front of an audience, so more often than not it's trying to play along with CDs in the privacy of the bedroom.* Speaking of Cubao (the place) there was a family (Vitan) living behind the Nepa Q Mart area that rented out sound equipment and practice space in the 70s/80s.* The stuff they had during my time back home were name brand "segunda mano" stuff sourced from the US bases.* I heard that they've since liquidated their equipment on a piece-meal basis and whoever bought them got them cheap.* Because of E-bay, probably a lot of them may have been re-sold in Europe at double digit multiples vis-a-vis the Vitan selling prices. Deymmmmmm!!!!!

Buhay na buhay pa rin ang studio scene sa Q-Mart area. Doon kami sa Q-Mart nagpapractice dati, then sa Gig Studio sa Ermin Garcia. We've decided to move to another studio along Banahaw Street on the other side of EDSA, near the MRT station.

flsfnoeraekadad
07-16-2008, 07:12 PM
pare, para sa 10 million pesos, makikipagbati ako kahit kanino.

Tsong, 2m per head lang daw.

JonarSabilano
08-07-2008, 05:25 PM
Rick Astley and Roderick Paulate. Priceless.

http://wrkshy.multiply.com/video/item/69

stonecold316
08-07-2008, 05:56 PM
Hi guys, sino manonood dito ng Eraserheads reunion concert August 30?

mangtsito
08-07-2008, 06:44 PM
Basta ako, kung may magbibigay sa akin ng boxed set ng Steely Dan, wala na akong hihilingin pa. ;)

Jaco D
08-07-2008, 10:47 PM
^^^ "Are you reelin' in the years, stowin' away the time..."

8)

mangtsito
08-08-2008, 05:21 PM
^ Hehe, I prefer the "Drink your big black cow, and get outta here." period of Steely Dan. Pero ok din sa akin yung pre-Aja albums nila. ;)

Jaco D
08-08-2008, 10:52 PM
Chits, I still have to come across an SD album and DVD (legit or bootleg/"kolorum") I didn't like, and have accumulated a sizeable number of their releases.* Saw them last month in NY, the year previous Upstate, and Fagen during the "New York Rock and Soul Review" tour almost fifteen years ago.* Definitely better than sex...almost.

Intelligent Rock at its best!

mangtsito
08-09-2008, 02:36 PM
^ You said it, man. Intelligent Rock indeed. 8)

What got me started with the Dan was Peg, because I was - and still am - partial to jazz and jazz-rock fusions. Later on, I realized that I was already devouring SD albums because their songs are simply so good in whatever genre. From "King of the World", to "the Caves of Altamira", to "Time Out of Mind", and even all the way to "Cousin Dupree" - they're all excellent despite being markedly different songs.

You've seen Fagen and Becker in person? Cooooooooool! 8)

Kid Cubao
08-09-2008, 08:54 PM
^^ the hippest dudes on earth, walter and donald. i have them all, including the new albums plus their solo incursions with the tragic exception of donald's debut solo, the classic "nightfly."

my favorites from the 1972-80 era were the albums "katy lied" and "aja," although i loved them all. when i finally realized what the song "gaucho" was about, i really had to laugh out loud because that proved once and for all that nothing, and i mean nothing, was off-limits to these timeless hipsters and finger-poppin' daddies. and we haven't even talked about their renowned technical perfection especially in the recording studio. the fact that they were able to draw to their sessions first-call jazz and rock musicians like steve gadd, rick marotta, wayne shorter (his solo on the track "aja" is as majestic as the beijing olympic opening ceremonies), michael mcdonald--the list goes on and on--is proof of how they were highly regarded by the music scene.

"i recall when i was small, i would spend my days alone. the busy world was not for me, so i went and found my own..." ;D

Jaco D
08-10-2008, 08:21 PM
I guess you need some gray matter between the ears to write what seem to be harmless lyrics yet have subliminal meanings beyond comprehension by the morality police. With a name like Steely Dan which sent literary buffs giggling in the background, Becker and Fagen sent notice to the music world that their music was gong to be different. To say they were masters of the double entendre would be an understatement. If classes have been organized to analyze to death the writings of Sun Tzu and Nostradamus, it would be great if a progressive-thinking english lit prof could conduct a class on BnF's music as part of creative writing. Well, I guess you can expect this much from a couple of alumni from a liberal arts college like Bard College.

Kid Cubao
08-11-2008, 08:38 AM
jaco, there's actually a class in the UP college of music on deconstructing the music and lyrics of steely dan.

flsfnoeraekadad
08-12-2008, 12:20 AM
Coldplay = March 2009?

Abangan!

tigerman
08-12-2008, 09:09 AM
^ Dude, ang ganda nga ng viva la vida. LSS ako sa lost!

Pero the best pa din ang A Rush of Blood to the Head.* ;D

Sana nga magkatotoo yan. Isama na din ang Muse at Radiohead.* :)

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

mangtsito
08-12-2008, 12:47 PM
jaco, there's actually a class in the UP college of music on deconstructing the music and lyrics of steely dan.

Wasn't there someone in these forums with the nick "Gaslighting Abbie"? ;D

john_paul_manahan
08-12-2008, 02:28 PM
Coldplay = March 2009?

Abangan!

OMG. No Way. Must have ticket. Must have ticket.

BTW, Tara Bosch-Santelices (Guitarist of Saffron Speedway and other half of Stormy), get well soon. We are praying for your recovery.

flsfnoeraekadad
08-12-2008, 02:35 PM
Yup, may series of concerts to help her family raise funds for the operation coz hindi ata sila nag-agree na operahan yung anak nila for some reason, maybe financial. I'll try to go to one of the fund-raising gigs.

http://leatherlace.multiply.com/journal for the gig details.

Kid Cubao
08-12-2008, 02:44 PM
all the best to tara santelices. may she recover quickly and fully from her harrowing ordeal.

JonarSabilano
08-12-2008, 02:52 PM
Yup, may series of concerts to help her family raise funds for the operation coz hindi ata sila nag-agree na operahan yung anak nila for some reason, maybe financial. I'll try to go to one of the fund-raising gigs.

http://leatherlace.multiply.com/journal for the gig details.

Heard about what happened to her. Might go to one of the gigs as well.

Kawawa talaga. I hope she gets through this, not only physically, but emotionally and spiritually.

tigerman
08-12-2008, 11:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9iapmqXBbg&feature=related

Kano o Noypi? ;D

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

Jaco D
08-13-2008, 12:14 AM
Coldplay = March 2009?

Abangan!

Though Coldplay is many degrees removed from my (o sige, idamay ko na si MangTsits, Kid Cubao and the other old guards here ;D) music generation, I was quite impressed with them when they performed at the Air Canada Centre a few weeks back (libreng ticket - what more can you ask?). Had I come to age at a later time, I would have followed this group with interest. Of course, sitting in the audience with a throng of twenty-something aged members of the opposite sex partially reminds you why you went to live concerts in the first place....

Well worth the cash and effort, if you ask me.

danny
08-13-2008, 01:17 AM
Coldplay = March 2009?

Abangan!

OMG. No Way. Must have ticket. Must have ticket.

BTW, Tara Bosch-Santelices (Guitarist of Saffron Speedway and other half of Stormy), get well soon. We are praying for your recovery.

Tara Bosch... Is she related to Annabelle Bosch?

flsfnoeraekadad
08-13-2008, 10:08 PM
Francis Magalona was diagnosed with leukemia :O

http://showbizandstyle.inquirer.net/breakingnews/breakingnews/view/20080813-154425/Francis-M-diagnosed-with-leukemiasource

john_paul_manahan
08-15-2008, 05:36 PM
i know there is a blood drive for him at Medical City.

flsfnoeraekadad
08-30-2008, 10:44 PM
http://showbizandstyle.inquirer.net/breakingnews/breakingnews/view/20080830-157767/Eraserheads-reunion-cut-short-Buendia-rushed-to-hospital

Ely Buendia rushed to the hospital; E-heads concert cut short

john_paul_manahan
08-31-2008, 09:44 AM
but not before playing 15 songs.

multiply is kind of getting filled up with eraserheads-related stuff.

parang tribute.

JonarSabilano
09-02-2008, 05:50 PM
From Mikael Co's blog, about the Eheads reunion:

glass half full: isang bukas na liham sa eraserheads
Monday, September 01, 2008

Pinakamainam sigurong magsimula (palagi, at lalung-lalo na sa pagkakataong ito,) sa isang pasasalamat. Hindi ko inasahang masasaksihan ko pa ito sa buong tanang-buhay ko; hindi ko inasahang 'yung mga kantang pinatutugtog ko kapag sadyang malungkot, o masaya, o nasa mood umalala, 'yung mga kantang di maiwasang kalabitin sa gitara kapag napapasarap ang inuman, kapag nadadalas ang pagtingin sa bintana-- hindi ko inasahang maririnig ko ulit 'yun. Hindi galing sa inyo, mismo, sa entablado. Para du'n, Ely, Raimund, Buddy, Marcus, para du'n-- salamat.

Ang pagkukuwento raw, sabi sa akin ng isang magaling na guro at kuwentista, e isang "manipulation of time." Nangyayari ang kuwento sa paglalaro mo sa sequence ng mga pangyayari. May kronolohikal na pangyayari, pero 'yung skill ng pagkukuwento e nangyayari sa kung paano mo napapasirko ang kronolohiya nito gamit ang mga flashback, ang mga flashforward, atbp.

Hindi ako kuwentista. Hindi ako marunong mag-manipulate ng panahon, di kayang mag-sustain ng naratibo, madali akong madistract sa wika, madaling kumuyom ang puso sa mga pangyayari sa loob ng kuwento. Pero susubukin ko rito. Dahil kayo, sinubok ninyo, di ba, para sa amin.

The rest of the entry here (http://abo-sa-dila.blogspot.com).

danny
09-03-2008, 05:44 AM
I finally got a copy of Aztec Camera's 2005 "Deep And Wide And Tall" compilation album thanks to Rasputin Records in downtown San Francisco.* ;D

Some* of my favorite Aztec songs. Enjoy.

Still On Fire (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOw-aY6WBAc)
Walk Out To Winter (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pYecCW8z7o&feature=related)
Oblivious (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM3mB6WrhJ4&feature=related)
Good Morning Britain (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FagEXaPTwRE&feature=related)

Kid Cubao
09-04-2008, 03:26 PM
i also like their "how men are." roddy frame is a criminally underrated songwriter.

bchoter
09-04-2008, 06:24 PM
^^ and ^

I feel nostalgic for my uncles :D

john_paul_manahan
09-05-2008, 02:45 PM
Third Eye Blind @ San Miguel Oktoberfest.

nothing like alcohol to jumpstart a weekend.

mangtsito
09-07-2008, 03:59 PM
To the older posters:

When I was in prep, I came a cross a "spoof" version of the Lupang Hinirang. At one point I memorized it, but was later punished for it because of it's irreverence. And then I just forgot all about it.

Does anyone have the complete lyrics of that?

I just remember a line that goes, "...sa dagat at bundok, maraming Huk, kasama si Taruc..."

Gusto ko lang mag-reminisce. ;D

MonL
09-07-2008, 04:12 PM
To the older posters:

When I was in prep, I came a cross a "spoof" version of the Lupang Hinirang.* At one point I memorized it, but was later punished for it because of it's irreverence.* And then I just forgot all about it.

Does anyone have the complete lyrics of that?

I just remember a line that goes, "...sa dagat at bundok, maraming Huk, kasama si Taruc..."

Gusto ko lang mag-reminisce.* *;D

May masa malala pa dyan, at maaari kang pagbunutin ng damo sa Crame kapag nauli kang kumakanta nito: Yung spoof ng "Bagong Silang" o "March of The New Society" noong Martial Law:

"Madaling araw,
may mag-na-na-kaw,
na nanaog sa hagdan,

Naga-lit ang may-ari,
binato ng ka-wa-li,

May Bagong Bukol......."

:D :D :D

bluegirl
09-08-2008, 11:22 AM
eto ba yung:

Bayang inutang, di pa binabayaran
Sa mandaluyong dun ka ikukulong

ahaha yan lang naalala kong part. tsaka ung

banana-q, barbecue at kamote-q somewhere in the middle.

Kid Cubao
09-08-2008, 11:29 AM
^^ hahaha! grabe nag-flashback ako all the way back to my grade school days, wherein the school bus prefect (always a teacher) would chastise us kids for bowdlerizing the lyrics to lupang hinirang and the bagong lipunan theme. "hoy ikaw, gusto mong magbunot ng damo sa crame?!?," the bus prefect would always threaten us ;D

bchoter
09-08-2008, 11:32 AM
^ Reminds me of Ariel Ureta's bike :D

mangtsito
09-08-2008, 11:35 AM
^ "Sa ikauunlad ng bayan, bisikleta ang kailangan".

Ayun, pinag-bisikleta ni Marcos.* *;D

EDITED TO ADD:

Wala ba talagang may full lyrics nung "Bayang Inutang"? ::)

bluegirl
09-08-2008, 11:45 AM

Ayun, pinag-bisikleta ni Marcos. ;D

EDITED TO ADD:

haha alam ko ito. nakwento ng mom ko sa amin some time ago. :P

nakulong din ata sya di ba?

MonL
09-08-2008, 11:50 AM
Siyempre, heto ang pinaka-tuldok ng Lupang Hinirang:

"Ang mamatay na sana kayooooooo!!!" * *;D

bchoter
09-08-2008, 11:59 AM

Ayun, pinag-bisikleta ni Marcos.* *;D

EDITED TO ADD:

Wala ba talagang may full lyrics nung "Bayang Inutang"?* ::)

Ako din na kwento lang ang lahat ng mga ito :D

irateluvmachine
09-08-2008, 04:13 PM
shameless plugging. ;D

September 12, 2008
Friday
8:00pm

Indie Night

featuring:

April Morning Skies
Harakiri Jiro
Decrepit Memories
Malaya
Cool Ethan
Carpe Diem
Anaheim
Killer Kamatis
Pseudonym
Pupitre
Astral Project
Dreadlocks
Doom of Mantra
Longstembonsai
Krosing
Prophets of Memories
Brokensauce
Loosing All
Nelo at ang Tala
IPB 108
Congee
Good Burgers
Short Visit
Facts of the System
Halmista

FREEDOM BAR
2nd floor Anonas Commercial Complex
# 3 Anonas Road Project 3, Q.C.

btw, Brokensauce features gameface members irateluvmachine (on drums) and JonarSabilano (on vocals/bass)... ;D

bluegirl
09-08-2008, 04:26 PM

Ayun, pinag-bisikleta ni Marcos. ;D

EDITED TO ADD:

Ako din na kwento lang ang lahat ng mga ito :D

:)) ako totoo yan. ewan ko lang sa inyo ::)

MonL
09-13-2008, 02:04 PM
For you 80s era guys, check out this website with a compilation of 1000 80s songs:

http://www.80smusicvids.com.

Enjoy!

The_Big_Cat
09-13-2008, 03:17 PM
For you 80s era guys, check out this website with a compilation of 1000 80s songs:

Enjoy!

My kind of music. Thanks.

toti_mendiola
09-13-2008, 07:32 PM
eto ba yung:

Bayang inutang, di pa binabayaran
Sa mandaluyong dun ka ikukulong

ahaha yan lang naalala kong part. tsaka ung

banana-q, barbecue at kamote-q somewhere in the middle.

Totoo? seryosong merong spoof? solid yung lyrics, galing!

Jaco D
09-14-2008, 01:23 PM

Enjoy!

Nice find, Mon.

bchoter
09-16-2008, 03:27 PM
Pink Floyd's Richard Wright dies at 65.

JonarSabilano
09-19-2008, 01:12 PM
Shameless Plugging lang.

The Sausage Bar and
FatJack Productions
brings you... >|||<
8208 - sAusagE/sKa+reGgAe Combo> Live:
SKA-Reggae/homestyle... >|||<

S C H E D U L E D B A N D S :

::::: Sidhi
::::: Pisenlav
::::: Armandos Experience

and probably more ;-)

:: where'sausage? ::
42-A Sgt. Esguerra cor E. Lopez St., South Triangle, QC
Beside Kitaro and ESL (East of St. Louis).
Adjacent to ABS-CBN, diagonally across
FIGARO-BOHOL

Event Info:
Host: THE SAUSAGE BAR + FatJack Productions
Type: Music/Arts - Performance
Time and Place:
Start Time: Saturday, September 20, 2008 at 8:00pm
End Time: Sunday, September 21, 2008 at 3:00am
42A Sgt Esguerra St. cor. E.Lopez St.,
Brgy.So.Triangle, Quezon City, Philippines

Kid Cubao
11-24-2008, 05:00 AM
paul buchanan and the blue nile. songs of rare beauty and truth at 5 in the morning. ayos.

tigerman
11-24-2008, 03:03 PM
Up Dharma Down's bipolar is one of the best opm albums to come out in a while.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!