Big J
Mr. Clutch
Iron Man
Fortune Cookie
The Franchise
Triggerman
Quick Brown Fox
Bandana Kid

Can anyone name player monickers that originated from their high school or college days like The Ninja?

pachador
05-11-2007, 12:39 AM
El Presidente - mon fernandez
bicolano superman - yoyoy villamin

MonL
05-11-2007, 07:40 AM
bicolano superman* - yoyoy villamin

Iron Man- Jimmy Noblezada - First to use the Ironman monicker
Bicolano Ironman- Dante Gonzalgo
The Magician- Rudy Soriano

khernitz
05-11-2007, 08:33 AM
ok yan....mga player monicker.....natatandaan ko nung nagpadala ng all-pro team one time, karamihan ng players may monicker..kala mo ang gagaling....talo naman sa lowly kazakhstan....si Borat lang pala katapat....

MonL
05-12-2007, 01:01 AM
Then there was "Nog-nog," "Baba," "Butiki," "German Moreno," "Beho," but these were thrown at the hated enemy, and were monickers just the same.* ;D

lekiboy
05-12-2007, 09:16 AM
Then there was "Nog-nog," "Baba," "Butiki," "German Moreno," "Beho," but these were thrown at the hated enemy, and were monickers just the same.* ;D

Bossing,
sorry at di matiis: sama ko na din yung mga classic monickers at kantiyaw ng mga Bedista. I am sure makikilala nyo itong mga ito: from the late 80s to present:

coaches:
"tonette macho!"
"coach panget!","coach panget!", LAHAT panget!, lahat panget!
"giant ilong", "giant ilong!" ( different from "da nose")
"iyakin!"
"tony ferrer!"
"agent X44"

players:
"taong bundok",
" ______! yung pana at sibat mo!!",
" hoy, _____! ang haba nag baba mo!, pag nadapa ka, tusok ang dibdib mo nyan!"
"_____, G@g0_______, g@g0!!!
"_________!, _________!, %$#&*m0!!! (chant)
"_________!, _________!ako yung sumigaw!! dito ka tumingin, bugbugan na lang!! ikaw nga!!!! ikaw!!!!

bluebruiser90
05-16-2007, 11:30 AM
In the beer houses that players frequented, Rudy Distrito was known as the.......PM na lang, bastos kasi.

ellaman62578
05-21-2007, 09:26 PM

the bicolano superman stillmplays ball here in queens ny.... they just won the 45 and up in the asian league last saturday..

WampumTribe
07-14-2007, 06:22 PM
Some monikers from the NBA:

"Chocolate Thunder" – Darryl Dawkins, 80s Sixers center who smashed a lot of backboards with his monster jams.
"Air Apparent" – Grant Hill, before injuries aborted "the-next-Michael Jordan-tag" given him.
"The Human Highlight Film" – Dominique Wilkins, corny but describes aptly the only one who could match Jordan's dunkin prowess, both of whom were heirs to the one and only . . .
"Dr. J" – Julius Erving. His film "The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh" was shown locally as "Pisces, The Winning Team."
"The Houdini of the Hardcourt" – Bob Cousy: First Celtics superstar and part of the holy trinity of leprechaun legends along with Bill Russell and Larry Bird.

But for me, the best sports monicker belongs to football's Roberto Baggio: "Il Divino Codino" – The Divine Ponytail. During the USA 1990 World Cup, niligawan pa ata sya ni Madonna. Ewan ko lang kung pinatulan nya.

joelex
07-15-2007, 02:47 AM
bong hawkins was known to be one of the most effective players without much use of jumping.

thus his monicker..."the hawk" ???

Mel
07-15-2007, 02:56 AM
Cool cat
Dunking duo
Bacon
Magnum
Baby Rocket

bluewing
07-15-2007, 11:39 AM
robocop a.k.a. "king midas" (kaso binara agad ni idol ed piczon yung latter kaya di na naulit muli...* ;D)

Dark Knight
07-15-2007, 06:32 PM
Batman And Robin - Jawo and Arnaiz

fujima04
07-15-2007, 07:32 PM
The Skywalker - Samboy Lim
Aerial Voyager - Vergel Meneses
The Flying A - Johnny Abarrientos
The Saint - Ronald Tubid
Captain Lonheart - Alvin PAtrimonio
The Defense Minister - Jerry Codinera
The Tower of Power - Benjie Paras
The Tank - Noli Locsin
The Fast and the Furious a.k.a. Bandana Brothers - Mark Caguioa and Jayjay Helterbrand
The Bullet - Dindo Pumaren
Mr. 100% - Norman Black

WampumTribe
07-15-2007, 08:21 PM
The Bruise Brothers: Yoyoy Villamin and Ricky Relosa

Dark Knight
07-16-2007, 12:11 AM
The Court General - Willie Generalao (Tanduay)

Howard the Duck
07-16-2007, 12:12 AM
The Flying B = Boyet Bautista
(parang gas station :D)

WampumTribe
07-16-2007, 12:29 AM
The Flying B* = Boyet Bautista

Really? Diba "The Flying A" na si Abarrientos? Baka ma-Cherie Gil si Bautista n'yan?

Howard the Duck
07-16-2007, 12:30 AM
The Flying B = Boyet Bautista

Really? Diba "The Flying A" na si Abarrientos? Baka ma-Cherie Gil si Bautista n'yan?
wala ka! "Triple A" naman daw si aaron aban. ewan ko kung bakit, A.A. lang naman ang initials nya. baka daw maging lasengo siya.

si butch maniego malamang ang nagpauso nito

christian
07-17-2007, 09:28 AM
second name nya yata (middle name?) is A din.

AnthonyServinio
07-17-2007, 10:56 AM
second name nya yata (middle name?) is A din.

His real name is Aaron Abril Aban.

AnthonyServinio
07-17-2007, 10:57 AM
The Court General - Willie Generalao (Tanduay)

His official nicknames were "The Little General" and to a lesser extent, "Wily Willy".

MonL
07-17-2007, 11:06 AM
The Fast and the Furious a.k.a. Bandana Brothers - Mark Caguioa and Jayjay Helterbrand

The original "Bandana Kid," as tagged by the late Pinggoy Pengson, was Steve Watson.

mighty_lion
07-17-2007, 11:49 AM
Kakalimutan ko na yong first name nya. San Beda used to have a player three years ago na pagpinasok sa court everyone would chant "papogian na lang". There you go.

____ "Papogian Na Lang" Webber.

AnthonyServinio
07-17-2007, 11:59 AM
Kakalimutan ko na yong first name nya. San Beda used to have a player three years ago na pagpinasok sa court everyone would chant "papogian na lang". There you go.

That's guard Carlo "Choco" Weber.

mighty_lion
07-17-2007, 01:54 PM
How about Mark "Ah!-Pe!-Pe! 5x" Apepe. ;D

WampumTribe
07-18-2007, 07:20 PM
Pa-deviate ng konti . . . Team Monickers naman.

The Motor City Bad Boys – 80s Detroit Pistons starring hardcourt hooligans Laimbeer, Mahorn, Rodman.

Boston Bigots – derisive term for the late-80s Celtics who had lots of white players in its lineup; aside from Bird and McHale, they had Danny Ainge, Greg Kite, Jerry Schisting, Scott Wedman, a should'av-retired-long-ago Bill Walton, plus a few more. Ironic really, considering the Celtics pioneered in the inclusion of African-Americans in the league; drafting the first black player – Chuck Cooper; and fielding the first all-black five in the NBA.

Murder, Inc. – 1950s Letran squad named after the Mafia's assassination agency.

The Dream Team – The original 1992 Barcelona Olympics USA Men's Basketball Team.

In other sports:
Baseball's "Miracle Mets" (1969 New York Mets) and football's "Galacticos" (meaning superstars, in reference to the 2001-2004 Real Madrid, which had Zidane, Ronaldo, Figo, Beckham and Roberto Carlos playing at the same time.)

amamangloy
09-12-2007, 11:16 AM
EL APARADOR ;D

WampumTribe
09-29-2007, 10:31 PM
Bam Gamalinda/J-Tecson
1. More slashing skills. Though I understand thier role in the team as midrange to outside sniper, mas makakabuti yong ma-improve yong slashing skills nya. Besides, Frankie Lims' uptempo system favors much playing time for slashers than perimeter shooter.
2. One-on-one defense. Bam's defense deteriorated since his first debut in RL. Siguro one-on-one sessions sila ni Menor, Lanete at Ajeet Singh palagi. Yong tipong mamaniin nya sa depensa ang tatlong yan.

Hmmm . . . If he hones his penetration drives, pwede na syang tawagin: Wham-Bam-Thank-You-Ma'am Gamalinda

LION
10-01-2007, 08:23 AM
Murder, Inc. – 1950s Letran squad named after the Mafia's assassination agency.

My apologies to our Letran friends but I received a text message yesterday and I am posting here the edited version.

"In the 1950s, we fought Murder, Inc. of Lauro "the Fox" Mumar. 1n 2007, we fought the Monster, Inc. of John "the Kojak" Melegrito."

LION
10-10-2007, 04:24 PM
Borgie "Mighty Kid" Hermida

Chico "And1" Tirona

Elvin "Bedista-Na-AKo!-Saan-Ka-Pah!" Pascual ;D

mighty_lion
10-10-2007, 09:42 PM
John Paul "The Baby Face Assassin" Escobal (Pwede na, retired naman na si Barerra ;D)

Samuel "The Ekwe-lizer" Ekwe

JR "Big Daddy" Taganas or JR "Happy-All-The-Time" Taganas

Ajeet "Extreme Magic" Singh

Garvo "No Reaction" Lanete. ;D

Jerome "J-Vil" Villanueva

Aron(?) "Pinabili lang ng suka" Anacta

Pero pinaka-malupit parin talaga:

Bryan "Fauuunnddooohhh" Faundo (pronounciation lang nag-iba)

danny
10-11-2007, 06:30 AM

Mag-model na lang sa basketball court.

Randy Salvino and Calvin Millado (nakasama ba nila sa Dante Ponce?) . Panalo tayo palagi nung panahong yan. Panalo sa NCAA Top Male Model award! ;D

5FootCarrot
10-11-2007, 07:59 AM
Borgie "Mighty Kid" Hermida

Huwaw, what a retro nickname! ;D (Naabutan pa ba ni Borgie si Mighty Kid? ...Meron pa bang Mighty Kid shoes ngayon? Baka hindi na niya kilala yun :P)

LION
10-11-2007, 08:21 AM
^ Hahaha.

The NCAA tv analysts/anchors gave him that nickname, Carrot.* That explains why it is so "retro".

Jay-R "Big Daddy" Taganas is credited to R. Manlapaz.* And of course, Manlapaz also started the "FAUUUUUUNNNNNDOOOOOO" craze in the NCAA.*

MonL
10-12-2007, 09:51 PM
Aries "Bagwis" ;D Alamarez, 1991 B.C. (Benny Cheng :P).

WampumTribe
10-13-2007, 09:01 PM
Aries "Bagwis" ;D Alamarez, 1991 B.C. (Benny Cheng :P).

Sya ba yung kinakantahan ng theme from Iron Eagle: "Never say die, Alamarez."

Jeep
10-15-2007, 09:57 AM
^ Hahaha.

The NCAA tv analysts/anchors gave him that nickname, Carrot.* That explains why it is so "retro".

Jay-R* "Big Daddy" Taganas is credited to R. Manlapaz.* And of course, Manlapaz also started the "FAUUUUUUNNNNNDOOOOOO" craze in the NCAA.*

lion, rolly manlapaz also refers to UE's reed-thin wingman as "hans THIEELLLEEEEEEH!" it turns out that mr. manlapaz also does the barking chores for the PBA, as i saw him yesterday during the opening ceremonies.

man, i would love to have rolly manlapaz's job (o sige na, kahit yung UAAP na lang! ;D )

LION
10-15-2007, 01:56 PM
Jeep, I wonder how creative Rolly is when he calls on Jobe Nkemakolam (?) :P

5FootCarrot
10-15-2007, 02:06 PM
Mr. Manlapaz knows how to pronounce Jobe's last name correctly. And the boy doesn't need any monikers to stand out 8)

LION
10-15-2007, 03:09 PM
The "pocket rocket" moniker of JC Intal is an injustice to the player. He's way above that nickname.

BigBlue
10-15-2007, 03:26 PM
the "pocket rocket" is actually Eman Monfort, not JC Intal. In JC's second year, he was called "the baby rocket", folks tried to shake off the "baby" part of the name later in his career though.

LION
10-15-2007, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the correction Bigblue.

"Baby Rocket" is still an inadequate description of JC's game. It's good to know that there was an attempt to rectify although we still sometimes hear sportscasters mention it.

BedanRoar
10-15-2007, 04:43 PM
Aries "Bagwis"* ;D Alamarez, 1991 B.C. (Benny Cheng* :P).

Yeah, Teddy "Bagwis" Alamarez

a_ron
10-16-2007, 07:38 AM
el aparador ------------joel dualan
the director-------------hector calma
the snatcher-------winnie arbolede
the firecracker-----------bobby jose
cris 'jumbo'bolado
the hecopter---------jojo lastimosa
bby shaq------------j.r quinnahan
the robocob--------Alvin Teng

5FootCarrot
10-16-2007, 08:13 AM
"Robocob?" Ano yun, mutant na mais? ??? ::)

toti_mendiola
10-16-2007, 10:59 AM
the "pocket rocket" is actually Eman Monfort, not JC Intal. In JC's second year, he was called "the baby rocket", folks tried to shake off the "baby" part of the name later in his career though.

Di puwede pala siyan ihanay sa mga pokemon characters.. siya sa pokemon fort! ;D

Semenelin
10-16-2007, 11:23 AM
el aparador ------------joel dualan
the director-------------hector calma
the snatcher-------winnie arbolede
the firecracker-----------bobby jose
cris 'jumbo'bolado
the hecopter---------jojo lastimosa
bby shaq------------j.r quinnahan
the robocob--------Alvin Teng

helicopter? di ba jolas lng yun tawag kay lastimosa?

LION
10-16-2007, 12:57 PM
^ Jolas was also called the helicopter because he drives with his arms rotating just like the chopper blades.

tigerman
10-16-2007, 01:04 PM
Cyrus "Rocketman" Baguio

Long before Jc Intal was given the nickname "The Rocket", this high-flying swingman from Iligan City was already called "Rocketman" while he was still playing in the PBL and UAAP.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

BigBlue
10-16-2007, 01:21 PM
Which iirc, is the primary reason why JC was dubbed as "the baby rocket" and not just "the rocket", cyrus baguio was still around.

bchoter
10-16-2007, 01:45 PM
I always thought Jolas was given the monicker "the helicopter" becauase of his "pirouette" (bahalan a kayo sa spelling... basta sounds like :D) move.

tigerman
10-16-2007, 02:05 PM
Which iirc, is the primary reason why JC was dubbed as "the baby rocket" and not just "the rocket", cyrus baguio was still around.

Really? I thought Jc's monicker right from the start was "The Rocket". Thanks for the correction.

Speaking of high-flyers, another player with a nick that's related to his play is Chester "The Elevator" Tolomia back in his UPHR and Shark playing days.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

BigBlue
10-16-2007, 02:09 PM
the PBL gives its own nicknames to players. Enrico Villanueva was known as "The Dominator", James Yap was "The Predator", some names did stick like Topex "Doberman" Robinson and "The Saint" Ronald Tubid.

MonL
10-16-2007, 04:10 PM
I always thought Jolas was given the monicker "the helicopter" becauase of his "pirouette" (bahalan a kayo sa spelling... basta sounds like :D) move.

Samboy Lim whirled around like helicopter blades before crashing head first to the floor after getting entangled with Jolas in a driving play, but that was an unfortunate accident.:P

bchoter
10-16-2007, 05:49 PM
Di ba Makabebe Rocket Siya talaga?

Si Gerilla pwede ding tawagin Da Racket

aircanda
10-16-2007, 06:27 PM
the PBL gives its own nicknames to players. Enrico Villanueva was known as "The Dominator", James Yap was "The Predator", some names did stick like Topex "Doberman" Robinson and "The Saint" Ronald Tubid.

bakit siya tinawag na the saint?

BigBlue
10-16-2007, 06:35 PM

hindi ba sya mukhang saint? :D

seriously, Ronald Tubid, when he was still starting out his career in UE, was asked to pose for the portrait of the then-to be canonized, now Blessed Pedro Calungsod. I think it's because he comes from the same town as Calungsod. It's his image that was used during the canonization ceremony in Rome.

http://www.catholic-forum.com/saints/saintp86.jpg

toti_mendiola
10-16-2007, 06:38 PM

hindi ba sya mukhang saint? :D

seriously, Ronald Tubid, when he was still starting out his career in UE, was asked to pose for the portrait of the then-to be canonized, now Blessed Pedro Calungsod. I think it's because he comes from the same town as Calungsod. It's his image that was used during the canonization ceremony in Rome.

tumpak, mismo. Si Blessed Pedro Calungsod nga pala iyun.

bchoter
10-16-2007, 06:42 PM
Because he's a 'spitting' image of the Blessed Pedro Calungsod?

At hindi pala. Siya pala mismo yung model :D

toti_mendiola
10-16-2007, 06:47 PM
Si Gerilla pwede ding tawagin Da Racket

wahaha. Puwede ding The Phat Pocket.

LION
10-17-2007, 09:00 AM
May naging moniker ba si Luke Dator, formerly Luke Dacula?

Jaco D
10-17-2007, 09:54 PM
None that I know of, though I remember everytime he would check in the game you could hear a couple of wolf howls coming from the bleachers section.

aircanda
10-17-2007, 10:19 PM

hindi ba sya mukhang saint?* :D

really..? siya talga? napawow aq ah.. salamat sir BigBlue.. asteeeeg ;D :D

Jaco D
10-18-2007, 04:39 AM
^^ ganun ba?* All the while i thought that his facial hair made him look either "saintly" or made him look like those characters who allow themselves to be nailed to the cross in the local sinakulos come Holy Week.

genom222
11-03-2007, 06:06 AM

Iron Man- Jimmy Noblezada - First to use the Ironman monicker
Bicolano Ironman- Dante Gonzalgo
The Magician- Rudy Soriano

Sir, I am ahppy to tell you that Jimmy Noblezada is still playing until now.* IRON MAN talaga... I get to play against him in Sunday games in Dasma ville and I tell you whenever he has the ball or sets a pick no one still dares to go near him (specially the pick which I experienced first hand hehe malupit pa sa brick wall)

Wasn't Jojo Lastimosa monickered as the "4th quarter man" when he was with Alaska? And Alvin Teng was known as the "Robocop?" Because of his robot-like moves? hehehe

For me the best monicker is still - "the DESTROYER" saktong-sakto sa player and I doubt it if anyone adopts this name again...

MonL
11-03-2007, 08:22 AM
Some monikers from the NBA:

"Chocolate Thunder" – Darryl Dawkins, 80s Sixers center who smashed a lot of backboards with his monster jams.
"Air Apparent" – Grant Hill, before injuries aborted "the-next-Michael Jordan-tag" given him.
"The Human Highlight Film" – Dominique Wilkins, corny but describes aptly the only one who could match Jordan's dunkin prowess, both of whom were heirs to the one and only . . .
"Dr. J" – Julius Erving. His film "The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh" was shown locally as "Pisces, The Winning Team."
"The Houdini of the Hardcourt" – Bob Cousy: First Celtics superstar and part of the holy trinity of leprechaun legends along with Bill Russell and Larry Bird.

One the worst monickers in the NBA was that of Lester "The Molester" Conner of the Golden State Warriors, probably an attempt to highlight his defense-oriented game. :P

bchoter
11-05-2007, 12:59 PM
^ Hector Calma was briefly called the Penetrator at the height of the Pene movies :D

toti_mendiola
11-05-2007, 02:05 PM
^ Hector Calma was briefly called the Penetrator at the height of the Pene movies :D

Na promote naman to being "the director" at the height og the pene movies din hehehe.

a_ron
11-06-2007, 11:10 AM
dagdag ko lang mga taga Ginebra dati..

Bal "the flash" DAVID
nOLI "THE Tank" LOCSIN
Marlou "skyscraper" Aquino

oca
11-06-2007, 12:01 PM
Wasn't popular among sportcasters covering the PBA then, but kids in our neighborhood would use these
monickers when referring to certain players-

BALYADORSKI

MANNY PADER

JIMMY DOBLEZADA

Reflects how games were played then. ;D

ovlucero
12-17-2007, 05:12 PM
I know this is not a monicker but nick name: Genesis "Don King" Sasuman. Is this after the famous boxing promoter?

bchoter
12-17-2007, 05:48 PM
Wasn't popular among sportcasters covering the PBA then, but kids in our neighborhood would use these

BALYADORSKI

MANNY PADER

JIMMY DOBLEZADA

Ah these I heard from our uncles :D

oca
12-17-2007, 06:54 PM

BALYADORSKI

MANNY PADER

JIMMY DOBLEZADA

Ah these I heard from our uncles :D

If these kids I referred to are your "uncles".... lolo mo ako? >:(

bchoter
12-18-2007, 10:25 AM
^ Kwento lang po ng mga tito ko tito oca... ooops :D. Actually we did make use those names in street ball then especially the "BALYADORSKI" :D

easter
12-18-2007, 11:08 AM

I was too young then but have heard and caught glimpses of Dacula but couldn't remember how he played actually. Did he really changed his name? Did he changed his name during or after his PBA career?

Other monickers I can rember.

Cariaso - The Jet
Meneses - Aerial Voyager
Bong Alvarez - Mr. Excitement
Samboy Lim - The Skywalker
Fabiosa - TJ (Tough jobs)
Philip Cezar - The Scholar
Mon Fernandez - The Franchise
Atoy Co - The Fortune Cookie
Francis Arnaiz - Mr. Velvet Touch
Abe King - The Chairman of the Boards

MonL
12-18-2007, 11:18 AM

I was too young then but have heard and caught glimpses of Dacula but couldn't remember how he played actually. Did he really changed his name? Did he changed his name during or after his PBA career?

"Dator" was a combination of Luke's surname(Dacula) and that of his wife(Tortor) that they used to get rid of the "fan adulation" that the name "Dacula" had, but he reverted back to "Dacula" later on.... So to answer the question "May naging monicker ba si Dator"...... wala.

I remember Luke was even featured in a Sports World article entitled "For Whom the Crowds Hoooo." :D

dioning
12-18-2007, 06:16 PM

"Dator" was a combination of Luke's surname(Dacula) and that of his wife(Tortor) that they used to get rid of the "fan adulation" that the name "Dacula" had, but he reverted back to "Dacula" later on.... So to answer the question "May naging monicker ba si Dator"...... wala.

I remember Luke was even featured in a Sports World article entitled "For Whom the Crowds Hoooo."* :D

Dapat siguro nickname nya ay "COUNT"
Para Luke "Count" Dacula.
Puede rin "SQUACULA" nickname nya, squaking naman siya maglaro e bukod sa mala-draculang surname niya.
Di lang mala-dracula pangalan nya, pati hitsura niya mukhang dracula. Malalaking maiitim ang mga mata nya, malaki din panga nya, higit sa lahat, naka-side burns pa siya. Draculang-dracula talaga!
I remember an old game between Mariwasa vs Quasar, everytime Dacula touched the ball, the crowd in Araneta would howl "AAWWWOOOOOOO!"

Jaco D
12-19-2007, 01:54 AM
Yeah, I remember those games and the howling from the bleachers (doon yung malakas, though I think the howling came from everywhere).* So Mon, was the name change and reversion all done through legal means or parang stage name lang?* Kung through legal channels yan maybe the judge should have driven a stake through Luke's heart.* Complete waste of legal time and resources.

mangtsito
04-25-2008, 12:42 PM
I've recently come across these fairly new ones na madyo pilit pero nakakatawa rin:

Melvin Mamaclay - HOT MAMA

Bruce Daa - BIG DAA-DY

;D :D ;D :D

bchoter
04-25-2008, 12:53 PM
^ Ian SalaDagger is fairly new, too.

Benjie Paras' contribution: Dylam LAbabou :D

The_Big_Cat
04-25-2008, 01:11 PM

Benjie Paras' contribution: Dylan LAbabou :D

^Yes I have heard this a lot from the PBL.

"Block Superman" for Sam Ekwe.
"Kelvinator" for Kelvin Dela Pena.
"Kevin Udom" for Kevin Emeka Udo (in reference to Lamar Odom)

AnthonyServinio
04-26-2008, 03:33 AM

Benjie Paras' contribution: Dylam LAbabou :D

Richard Ian "The Dagger" Saladaga has been referred to as such as early as 2003-2004, his final years with the University of San Jose-Recoletos Jaguars. That was also the time he became the CeSAFI Dunk Champion. When Saladaga played for Lactovitale-Cebu in the United Regional Basketball League (URBL) in 2004, he also used the nickname.

billabong
04-27-2008, 10:28 PM
joseph "the ninja" yeo

jc "the rocket" intal

MonL
05-05-2008, 12:43 AM

Retro: No one figured out who these were so....

"Nog-nog"* * * * * *= Johnny Revilla (but if you called him "Ita," you had to be ready for a slaughter. Yours. ;D)
"Baba"* * * * * * * * = Danny Florencio
"Butiki"* * * * * * * *= Rene Canent (due to his long torso)
"German Moreno"= Freddie Webb* :D
"Beho"* * * * * * * *= Atoy Co

Back to present:

Cyrus "Skyrus" Baguio

King_stag
05-05-2008, 03:07 AM
Francis "frankeinstein" De leon
Christian "Baba" Coronel

erichubert
05-05-2008, 10:23 AM
Peter "the Twister" Naron
Jun "The Franchise" Limpot
Kirby "The Kid" Raymundo
Willie Thriller Miller
Franz El Bigote Pumaren
Vince The Prince Hizon
Jerry The Defense Minister Codinera
Alvin Captain LionHeart Patrimonio

bchoter
05-05-2008, 11:55 AM
^ Coach Pido calls his players some colorful names that we sometimes don't even get the meaning or the relation to the player. Samples include 'supot' (in the previous FMC), 'kaliwete' (apparently for one of the ahum, chickboys in the team who was playing listlessly in practice and 'nanlalambot ang tuhod'), miss universe (used in practice on a player who, instead of using his off-hand to cover the passing angles, would just raise his hand in a pang pageant-like wave)

Raging Blue
05-05-2008, 12:46 PM
Separated at birth nga talaga sila ni Allan K :D

In the sixties, the late great Senor Willie Hernandez was the most colorful sportscaster in Philippine basketball. He was a broadcaster in the MICAA, the foreruner of the PBA. His spiced up the cagers' names with monikers even referring to commercial products (I wonder if he ever got paid by the companies) , samples of wihch are:

Jun Papa - Pepsi Papa
Freddie Webb - Toyota Webb
Elias Tolentino - Mikado (referring to a pomade brand due to the player's pompadour)
Danny Florencio - El Fortissimo (not a brand but refers to his artistic drive-ins to the basket)
Billie Abbarientos (Hubba-hubba, a play with words)
Narciso Bernardo - the Nonpareil (referring to his superlative shooting)

There are many other I can't recall. Maybe other can help out to recall.

The_Big_Cat
05-05-2008, 01:23 PM
I recall hearing Steve "The Bandana" Watson. Watson used to sport a bandana around his head when he played with Gilbey's Gin in the PBA and had the defensive assignment of guarding "The Black Superman" Billy Ray Bates whenever Gilbey's plays Crispa.

erichubert
05-05-2008, 01:51 PM
Dondon the Magician Ampalayo
Nelson the Bull Asaytono
Enrico the Raging Bull Villanueva
Topex the Pit Bull Robinson
Skyrus Baguio
Jimwell Tora Tora Torion
Ye Ye Bonel Balingit
Captain Marbel Kenneth Duremdes
Jeffrey the Jet Cariaso
Dennis the Menace Espino

If you guys remember Reggie Fox, an import of Ginebra in the 90s, one commentator gave him the name of Reggie the Quick Brown Fox, but luckily the monicker didn't stick.
Another import monicker was for Presto import Winston Crite, who was named the Human Eraser for his shotblocking abilities.
Buti si Sean Chambers hindi naging Sean the Gas Chambers ;D

The_Big_Cat
05-05-2008, 02:14 PM
Another import monicker was for Presto import Winston Crite, who was named the Human Eraser for his shotblocking abilities.

Yes. I remember Winston Crite. You cannot forget his "alien-like" head. He was truly an "eraser". I recall him playing for Presto in one of those tourneys with PBA squads going up against the Chinese National Team (1990 or 1991).

Jamie "The Wall" Wallers (Ginbebra import)
Carlos "Red hair" Briggs (Ginebra import)
Kenny "Mr. Triple double" Redfield (Shell, Purefoods import)

erichubert
05-05-2008, 02:53 PM
Some more monickers, a lot of them weird:
Boy Lightning and Kid Thunder for Paul Artadi and James Yap
The Conqueror for Vic Pablo
The Slasher for Rodney Santos
Captain Hook for MacMac Cardona
The Spark Mark Caguioa
Point Laureate (mali ata spelling) Ronnie Magsanok
Tower of Power/Bondying Benjie Paras ( this one fit him well)
The Face for Rommel Santos (remember him)
The golden Boy for Noy Castillo ( I don't know why)
Cool Cat (Cool Cash?) Mike Cortez
The Alaminos Assassin Lordy Tugade (I like this)
The Ninja Joseph Yeo (Bagay din ito)
Wild Wild Wesley Gonzales (Bagay to lalo na noong nasa college pa siya)

fujima04
05-05-2008, 07:51 PM
If you guys remember Reggie Fox, an import of Ginebra in the 90s, one commentator gave him the name of Reggie the Quick Brown Fox, but luckily the monicker didn't stick.

If my memory serves me right, the same monicker was given to Ricky Brown of SMB.

joelex
05-05-2008, 10:58 PM
the HAWK Bong Hawkins..

he is known as one who would be productive without the need for much jumping...and he is dubbed "the hawk" ;D

mangtsito
05-06-2008, 08:44 AM
Some more monickers, a lot of them weird:
Boy Lightning and Kid Thunder for Paul Artadi and James Yap
The Conqueror for Vic Pablo
The Slasher for Rodney Santos
Captain Hook for MacMac Cardona
The Spark Mark Caguioa
Point Laureate (mali ata spelling) Ronnie Magsanok
Tower of Power/Bondying Benjie Paras ( this one fit him well)
The Face for Rommel Santos (remember him)
The golden Boy for Noy Castillo ( I don't know why)
Cool Cat (Cool Cash?) Mike Cortez
The Alaminos Assassin Lordy Tugade (I like this)
The Ninja Joseph Yeo (Bagay din ito)
Wild Wild Wesley Gonzales (Bagay to lalo na noong nasa college pa siya)

Brod, tama spelling mo ng "laureate"...ang mali yung "Magsanok" ;D

mangtsito
05-06-2008, 08:49 AM
Kung sino man ang maka-gets nito mananalo ng isang milyong piso, hahaha!:

==================================================

Ampalayo? ...Ampalaya!

Cuenco? ...Mango! (pronounced "meynggo")

Distrito? ...Prito!

Parks? ...Pork! (with American accent)

Philip (Cesar)? ...Sardines!

;D ;D ;D

erichubert
05-06-2008, 02:11 PM
Another monicker is Mad Max Delantes. I don't know if you guys remember him, he was with Sta. Lucia in the first few years of that team. Undersized forward yet plays big, sort of a Willie Wilson.

Meron pa, si Atom Bomb Ato Agustin, Robocop Alvin Teng, El Presidente Mon Fernandez, tska si Bobby Jose, tawag ni Joe Cantada minsan Bobby Joe.

Leo Isaac was formerly called Robin because he was regarded as a sidekick to the Big J.

Speaking of which, anyone remember the monicker of Boy Cabahug?

clutchjedi
05-06-2008, 02:46 PM

the silencer...magkakampi sila sa alaska ni ric-ric "quick draw" marata, another gunner*:)

MonL
05-06-2008, 02:52 PM
Kung sino man ang maka-gets nito mananalo ng isang milyong piso, hahaha!:

==================================================

Ampalayo? ...Ampalaya!

Cuenco? ...Mango! (pronounced "meynggo")

Distrito? ...Prito!

Parks? ...Pork! (with American accent)

Philip (Cesar)? ...Sardines!

;D* ;D* ;D

TV plugs ng pelikula ng Regal yan... :D

erichubert
05-06-2008, 03:28 PM
Yes, I remember that movie, kay Jimmy Santos ata yun, with cameo from Ampalayo etc. They were dressed as school kids and were singing to those rhymes.

MonL
05-07-2008, 09:03 AM
The late Pinggoy Pengson once tried on Abet Guidaben the monicker "ABetamax" as Abet had a Betamax-format video rental business on the side. The monicker and the business(remember VHS?) didn't quite last long.* ;D

The_Big_Cat
05-07-2008, 12:12 PM
tska si Bobby Jose, tawag ni Joe Cantada minsan Bobby Joe.

Bobby Jose was also known by the monicker as "The Firecracker" because he was from Bulacan and how he would come off the bench in his 1989 rookie season to provide quick explosive points.

I remember Guidaben's rental business because it was shown in many halftime shows during the 80s.

As for Elmer "Boy" Cabahug, you take away the "G". ;D
That's how I came across to that monicker playing in community leagues back then. :)

bchoter
05-07-2008, 01:03 PM
Bobby Joe was known as, well, Bobby Joe even when he ws in UST.

tigerman
05-08-2008, 08:34 AM
The Spark Mark Caguioa

If memory serves me right, this monicker came from Queenito Henson. This was due to Caguioa's contributions back when he was Ginebra's 6th man.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

bchoter
05-08-2008, 01:06 PM
^ Dahil daw galing SaPARKing lot ang mga tira niya..

tigerman
05-08-2008, 04:59 PM
^ Haha. Akala ko dahil SPARKling yung blonde hair niya dati. ;D

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

a_ron
05-08-2008, 06:23 PM
Mike "the mask" Maniego.........

tigerman
05-11-2008, 07:31 PM
Sino dito nakakaalala kay Whitey Almonte ng Cebu Gems? I'm pretty sure Whitey is not his real name since he is black.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

bchoter
05-11-2008, 07:44 PM
I remember Michael "Whitey" Almonte. He had Joel Co, Piodo, and Sumampan as teammates with the Jaguears in the mid- to late-90's.

tigerman
05-11-2008, 07:58 PM
Whoever came up with that nick Whitey is one hell of a manlalait. ;D
We can also say the same for the one who called Jeffrey Sanders of the Batangas Blades "THE SHADOW".

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

King_stag
05-13-2008, 05:35 PM
Here is a tribute to mapua's mazo who scored 32 in their last outing.

Ian "The Hammer" Mazo* ;D

erichubert
05-15-2008, 02:01 PM
Just remembered another one: Chris Stone Wall Jackson. It would have more fitting to call him stonecold though, he looks like Steve Austin with his bald head. ;D

The_Big_Cat
05-20-2008, 01:29 PM
Robert Horry.

From "Big Shot Bob" to "Cheap Shot Bob". ;D

After game 6 Spurs vs Hornets.

erichubert
05-20-2008, 01:50 PM
Horry should retire already, wala na siyang papatunayan, and he is ruining his legacy with those cheap shots he is doing lately.

a_ron
05-23-2008, 09:20 AM
I remember my Idol

CRIS "Jumbo", "Lucky" BOLADO

tawkytawny
05-23-2008, 10:29 AM
Do you still remember the monickers given to Asaytono before he was called the Bull?

The Human Dyanamo and Babyface (anak ni Janice) ;D

The_Big_Cat
05-23-2008, 12:18 PM
Do you still remember the monickers given to Asaytono before he was called the Bull?

The Human Dyanamo and Babyface (anak ni Janice) ;D

Babyface Nelson. In reference to the american gangster.

erichubert
05-24-2008, 05:21 PM
Was listening to the radio coverage of the PBA yesterday, may mga bagong monickers na sinusubukan pasikatin ng mga coverors like Denok "the power point" Miranda and Nelbert "Boy Pulot" Omolon.

Emon74
05-16-2009, 11:11 AM
my favorite monickers were:

bicolano superman - Yoyoy Villamin
chairman of the boards - Abe King

ang ayaw ko

Nino "KG" Canaleta - yun "KG" insulting to kevin Garnett

bchoter
05-18-2009, 11:38 PM
Hector Calma was briefly called "The Penetrator" in the 80s when the pene movies were in vogue :D

dakugoo10
05-19-2009, 12:16 AM
[quoteJamie "The Wall" Wallers (Ginbebra import)
Carlos "Red hair" Briggs (Ginebra import)
Kenny "Mr. Triple double" Redfield (Shell, Purefoods import)
[/quote]

jamie waller- eto yung kahawig ni mike tyson
carlos briggs - he was called "red", then there was this champ sports magazine cover that has briggs on the cover with the title- "they call him goldfish" becoz of his big bulging eyes

dakugoo10
05-19-2009, 12:22 AM
John Paul "The Baby Face Assassin" Escobal (Pwede na, retired naman na si Barerra ;D)

Samuel "The Ekwe-lizer" Ekwe

JR "Big Daddy" Taganas or JR "Happy-All-The-Time" Taganas or jr"eat all you can" taganas

Ajeet "Extreme Magic" Singh

Garvo "No Reaction" Lanete. ;D

Jerome "J-Vil" Villanueva

Aron(?) "Pinabili lang ng suka" Anacta

Pero pinaka-malupit parin talaga:

Bryan "Fauuunnddooohhh" Faundo (pronounciation lang nag-iba)

dakugoo10
05-19-2009, 12:28 AM
Peter "the Twister" Naron
Jun "The Franchise" Limpot pwede rin jun "the championship" limpot. pero mas common yung monicker nya na "main man"
Kirby "The Kid" Raymundo
Willie Thriller Miller
Franz El Bigote Pumaren
Vince The Prince Hizon
Jerry The Defense Minister Codinera
Alvin Captain LionHeart Patrimonio

nash_bedista
05-19-2009, 11:24 AM
Lamont "the Helicopter" Strothers

MrM
10-23-2012, 05:24 PM
Bumping up this thread because player monickers never run out of style: