PDA

View Full Version : Basketball Roots

freak
03-23-2006, 01:16 AM
Since basketball history is such a hot topic here (and this is good bec it educates us "younger" bball fans ;D), I hope we could dig up the roots of our up and coming stars.. like if they have relatives who were basketball stars before.

admuhs_upengg
03-23-2006, 07:38 AM
These kids have surpassed their fathers

Ren Ren Ritualo (Florendo Ritualo)
Johhny Abarrientos (Abarrientos, don't remember his first name)

THese kids have a potential to be better than their pops
Japeth Aguilar - Peter Aguilar
Jun Cabatu - Sonny Cabatu

It seems that a lot of these kids still have a ways to go before they match their father's careers/skills
Jawo - Dudut (well at least before)
Hubalde - Derek and the other one from UST
Mamaril - Billy Mamaril
Pribdhas - Pribdhas from UST
Jong Uichico - Johan Uichico
Leo Austria - Bacon Austria (Ateneo HS)
Freddie Webb - Jason and the others

MonL
03-23-2006, 07:41 AM

Ren Ren Ritualo (Florendo Ritualo)

His father was Billy Abarrientos, small, quick guard who also played for the national team in the 60s.

5FootCarrot
03-23-2006, 08:01 AM
How is that Webb kid from the DLSZ juniors team related to these guys? Apo na ba yun?

Mateen Cleaves
03-23-2006, 08:43 AM
Joshua Webb is not an anak but an apo of Freddie... Son of Fritz, if I'm not mistaken. Fritz Webb was once a star forward for UST -- on the football field. :)

BTW, how true are the rumors that JWebb is set to transfer high schools. Not to Mendiola, as originally speculated, but to his lolo's alma mater in Intramuros?

freak
03-23-2006, 09:07 AM

- didn't know johnny's dad was a player :o

It seems that a lot of these kids still have a ways to go before they match their father's careers/skills

- Derek was the one from USt, Paolo played for UE and was drafted by SMB in the PBA ;)

Kid Cubao
03-23-2006, 09:26 AM
i don't think it's johnny A's dad but his uncle, the great "haba-haba" abarrientos, who played for crispa in the MICAA and the national team in the late 60s and early 70s. small guy, 5'6 in sneakers, but tough as hell and quick like a waterbug. i last saw him in the san francisco del monte playing with his angkan a few years back, at maliksi pa rin.

freak
03-23-2006, 09:27 AM
Ato Agustin's son Marc, also has the potential to be a better player than his dad. This kid literally just had raging growth hormones.. I still remember him when he was still in elementary (he was my schoolmate in DBA Pampanga) playing in the Milo SBP, next thing I knew he was this tattoed guy-with-Obi-Wan-hairdo ::) playing 3 different positions for Adamson. If he would take his basketball seriously, this is one guy to look out for.

bchoter
03-23-2006, 10:06 AM
Is Billy and "Haba Haba" Abbarientos the same person? If yes then Johny is not a son but a nephew.

UST had its share of 2nd generation players. Derek Hubalde and Danny Pribhdas were mentioned earlier. Others include:

1. Richard Melencio - Tembong's son
2. Jininio Manansala - Jimmy Manansala's
3. Richard Yee - Jesse Migalbin's
4. Lester and Edsel del Rosario - son of the former UST player and coach
5. Dondin Villamin - nephew of Crispa great Yoyoy
6. The Tuadles brothers - the late Arnie's sons

Unfortunately, save for Danny, nobody in the list will surpas their father's careers.

bchoter
03-23-2006, 10:34 AM
THese kids have a potential to be better than their pops
Japeth Aguilar - Peter Aguilar
Jun Cabatu - Sonny Cabatu

Mamaril - Billy Mamaril
Pribdhas - Pribdhas from UST
Jong Uichico - Johan Uichico
Leo Austria - Bacon Austria (Ateneo HS)
Other up and comers:
1. Manny Victorin's son (I don't think he can be an MVP candidate and Mythical 5 member in the PBA)
2. Bong Ravena's son (has the potential to surpass his father)
3. Joel Banal's nephew (they're both looking great as Baby Tams but can they equal Joel's college and amateur career? If not for injuries, Joeal could have had a better career in the PBA as a two-way guard. whatever happened to his son the former Blue Eagle?)
4. Ato Agustin's son (has the body and the skills but will he have the drive and the discipline? He has a very long way to even just equal his father's career which includes a great career in the PABL, NT, and the PBA)
5. Leo Austria's son (looks good at a young age but can he surpass his father's amateur career where he played for the NT and was among the better PGs in the PABL?)
6. Elmer Reyes' son (they say he has the potential but can he be an NT fixture like his dad?)
7. Marlou Aquino's son (this early he is in the crosshairs of recruiters. With a little effort, matching his father won't be a problem)

For the second list, add the following:
1. The Tuadles brothers of UST
2. Tim Coloso's son
3. Jimmy Mariano's
4. The Mumars
5. The Loyzagas

MonL
03-23-2006, 11:56 AM
i don't think it's johnny A's dad but his uncle, the great "haba-haba" abarrientos, who played for crispa in the MICAA and the national team in the late 60s and early 70s. small guy, 5'6 in sneakers, but tough as hell and quick like a waterbug. i last saw him in the san francisco del monte playing with his angkan a few years back, at maliksi pa rin.

Sorry, memory loss.* ;D I remember though reading about the time the Philippines was dethroned by South Korea in 1969. I was nine years old then. We threw everything we had on Korean great Shin-Dong-Pa, but he still shot 42 against us in the title game... Even Billy Abarrientos was tasked to guard Shin...to no avail (a 6-2 scoring machine against a 5-6 waterbug...what were they thinking?)... exasperated, he told the coaching staff "I TOLD you I could not guard him.....!"* Sad to say, no one on the RP squad did. They did not have Ed Ocampo in the lineup then, and that took a toll on the RP defensive capabilities. The only shining moment in that title game was UE forward Rudolf Kutch engaging Shin in a fierce scoring battle, weighing in for 36 points in that game...

(Somebody help me here....was it Billy A. or was it another waterbug guard of that era, Jake Rojas?)

admuhs_upengg
03-23-2006, 12:39 PM
that took a toll on the RP defensive capabilities. The only shining moment in that title game was UE forward Rudolf Kutch engaging Shin in a fierce scoring battle, weighing in for 36 points in that game...

(Somebody help me here....was it Billy A. or was it another waterbug guard of that era, Jake Rojas?)

Idol yan si Kutch--RP's version of Kevin McHale one of the best post-up players the RP has produced.

I remember Joaquin "Jake" Rojas, he played for Toyota. I don't recall if he was ever in an ABC team, though he captained some Pesta Sukan teams in Singapore in the early 70's.

paralusi
03-23-2006, 01:25 PM
jai reyes of the ateneo blue eagles has some uncles who can play a little ball.

:)

freak
04-06-2006, 03:00 AM
Adamson has another second generation player aside from Marc Agustin (Ato's son), Dante Gonzalgo's son apparently is playing for the Falcons.. i just can't remember his name ??? ;D ???

AnthonyServinio
04-07-2006, 10:23 AM
Mapua Tech had a pair of second-generation players last season, sons of former PBA pros in Sean Co, son of Sonny Co and NCAA 81 ROY Kelvin dela Pena, son of Ricardo dela Pena (San Miguel)

San Sebastian's seniors had Red Vicente, son of Redentor Vicente while the champion juniors had Raffy Reyes, son of Elmer Reyes (San Miguel, Pop Cola)

The mighty San Beda Red Cubs paraded Mikey Victorino, son of Manny Victorino and Thomas Babilonia, son of Gido Babilonia.

The son of former Ginebra player Dennis Carbonilla played for La Salle-Greenhills, Adrian Carbonilla.* Meanwhile, the College of Saint Benilde had Martin Urra Jr., son of Martin Urra Sr. and Christian Cabatu, son of Santiago Cabatu Sr.

The Letran Squires had Jun Alas, son of seniors coach Louie Alas.

Lucas Palaka
04-07-2006, 10:30 AM
forgive my ignorance, anthony, but did martin urra, sr. ever play in the commercial leagues and/or the national team? how about sonny co, naglaro ba sya sa MICAA o PBA o national team?

AnthonyServinio
04-07-2006, 10:37 AM
forgive my ignorance, anthony, but did martin urra, sr. ever play in the commercial leagues and/or the national team? how about sonny co, naglaro ba sya sa MICAA o PBA o national team?
The late Martin Urra Sr. was a contemporary and teammate of the legendary Carlos Loyzaga in several Philippine NTs.

Sonny Co was a PBA pioneer in 1975, not sure what team, maybe U-Tex Wranglers(?). He now coaches one of the high schools in the Tiong Lian.

Lucas Palaka
04-07-2006, 11:05 AM
thanks anthony. from now on, you should be known as "the calculator," because you can always be counted on.

Ghostrider
05-25-2006, 11:13 AM
Dante Gonzalgo's son is named Paul Danru Gonzalgo. Another prominent name in the Adamson squad, I believe is Patrick Cabahug who I is related to the famous Cabahug basketball playing clan based in Cebu.

Jay Ramirez (shell) also has a son playing for USC. He was once a recruit for the Blue Eagles (along with JC Intal & Kramer) but it seems he had second thoughts about playing for the Eagles.

Speaking of the Eagles, Rich Alvarez was also a second generation star, his father played collegiately for San Sebastian.

I think Billy and "Haba-Haba" are one and the same person, such that Johnny A. is a nephew and not his son.

I disagree with the assessments regarding Billy Mamaril (who is a much much better player than his father) and Mickey Victorino who will not reach the status accorded to his father Manny (once on the "protected list" of centers in the PBA).

Also, the Banal on the Ateneo team (Dom Banal) was not a son of Joel, rather the son of Joel's elder brother Conrad (columnist for the inquirer).

MonL
05-25-2006, 11:38 AM
Is UPHR's Bauzon a son of former Toyota Comet/Tamaraw Orly Bauzon?

bchoter
05-25-2006, 12:12 PM
Dante Gonzalgo's son is named Paul Danru Gonzalgo.* Another prominent name in the Adamson squad, I believe is Patrick Cabahug who I is related to the famous Cabahug basketball playing clan based in Cebu.Another Falcon with pedigree is Hugnatan who, I think, is the younger of the Hugnatan of Alaska. Doesn't have the brother's hardcore style though.

kryptonite
05-26-2006, 02:26 AM

Si Dudut??? Is he a basketball player, seriously? No offense to Ateneans here pero di naman yata talaga marunong maglaro si Dudut e. Pinilit lang ng tatay nya maglaro. Puro jolens lang yata alam nya. At least pamatay asawa nya...hehehe.

Kid Cubao
05-26-2006, 09:35 AM
as an atenean, no i am not offended when one questions dudut's mettle as a PBA pro :D wala talagang mapipiga dyan--except adipose fat.

paralusi
05-26-2006, 10:35 AM
i think the fact that dudut couldn't get significant minutes off the bench when he played for ateneo, back in the days when a fifth-sixth place finish was expected, tells a lot about his basketball skills.

JonarSabilano
06-22-2006, 07:16 PM
Ato Agustin's son Marc, also has the potential to be a better player than his dad. This kid literally just had raging growth hormones.. I still remember him when he was still in elementary (he was my schoolmate in DBA Pampanga) playing in the Milo SBP, next thing I knew he was this tattoed guy-with-Obi-Wan-hairdo ::) playing 3 different positions for Adamson. If he would take his basketball seriously, this is one guy to look out for.

Sayang nga lang at two straight years laging napuputol ang season niya dahil sa injuries. Ang ganda pa naman ng first game niya last year vs NU... Hindi nga lang nasundan.

bluebruiser90
07-19-2006, 02:58 PM

Si Dudut??? Is he a basketball player, seriously? No offense to Ateneans here pero di naman yata talaga marunong maglaro si Dudut e. Pinilit lang ng tatay nya maglaro. Puro jolens lang yata alam nya. At least pamatay asawa nya...hehehe.

Kahit nung nasa Ateneo siya, mas mabilis pang kumilos si Alamat kaysa sa kanya.* Kaya yata hindi nagsabay maglaro sa court yung mag ama sa PBA, baka maiwan pa si Dutdut sa takbuhan.

Kid Cubao
07-19-2006, 03:07 PM
being the son of ato agustin, marc agustin should be re-christened "tattoo" agustin for his body art ;D

christian
07-19-2006, 08:22 PM
hehehe nice one kid cubao, how about Guidaben's son? JR Guidaben? he was a former schoolmate and played for our passerelle team, i just don't know where he went after.

brian
07-23-2006, 02:15 PM
i'm looking forward to the second generation bacon austria of the eaglets, son of coach leo austria....mukhang titindi ang batang eto, considering he plays a different position his father did...

jembengzon
07-23-2006, 02:40 PM
i'm looking forward to the second generation bacon austria of the eaglets, son of coach leo austria....mukhang titindi ang batang eto, considering he plays a different position his father did...

bri,

he'll playing up front right now, largely because it's the HS division. complete game, inside outside, solid fundamentals, passing, defense, rebounding. he'll probably swing into a 2/3 or even a 1 when he gets to college, but has enough fundamentals and smarts to make the transition. what coach leo has influenced him in is developing the mental and emotional maturity to make it in the college game.

brian
07-23-2006, 02:50 PM
very true indeed, and it's no wonder if he even pulls it off playing playing the 1 position considering he has coach leo as his primary mentor...heck, it's no surprise the kid could even dribble...a very solid player to reckon with.

here's to his future in the college hoops and on to the pros..sana tumangkad pa siya.

MVBA
07-23-2006, 03:16 PM
Since basketball history is such a hot topic here (and this is good bec it educates us "younger" bball fans ;D), I hope we could dig up the roots of our up and coming stars.. like if they have relatives who were basketball stars before.
* * *THERE are a pair of second-generation players from the recent Mindanao Visayas Basketball Association and both played for the champion M. Lhuillier Kwarta Padala-Cebu.

* * *The first is Finals MVP Woodrow Enriquez, son of PBA pioneer Alfredo Enriquez (Seven-Up, Filmanbank).* The other is Nino Ramirez, son of former Shell enforcer Jay Ramirez.

* * *By the way, both fathers are currently M. Lhuillier assistant coaches also.

Click on these related links:
Gameface MVBA Forum (http://www.gameface.ph/forums/index.php?board=30.0)
:) MVBA Friendster Account (http://www.friendster.com/mvba)

oca
07-31-2006, 09:04 AM
Napadaan ako sa Xavier kahapon (July 30) to pick up a relative and got the chance to watch the SBP/ Passarelle games.

Aside from what I saw, I was also told of a handful of second generation players playing at the Passarelle level, below 15 years old.

There's the the son of Art dela Cruz. Sabi ng katabi ko another kid, Navarro, is also the son of a former PBA player. Both are around 6'3" tall at may katawan. I saw the son of Mike Mustre too. All 3 kids are enrolled at San Beda and with the Passarelle team.. If we include in the count the sons of Eric Altamirano and Gido Babilonia, San Beda has quite a number of second generation players in its fold. The kids dela Cruz and Navarro, IMO, have a good chance of making the NCAA line-up of Coach Badolato next season.

Of course Ravena has a son at Ateneo. Pero sabi rin sa akin may isa pang anak yan naka enroll sa DLSU-GH. Yung nasa Ateneo is now playing for the Passarelle team and the one at LaSalle is still in SBP.

Buti na lang at napilitang mag-retire si Jawo, otherwise baka mag-abot pa ang mga iyan.

LION
07-31-2006, 09:49 AM
Buti na lang at napilitang mag-retire si Jawo, otherwise baka mag-abot pa ang mga iyan.

Hahahaha. Natawa ako dun a. 2 generations ang agwat.

MonL
07-31-2006, 10:08 AM

Hahahaha.* Natawa ako dun a.* *2 generations ang agwat.*

Yan nga ang inaasam noon, eh. Kaya lang nung umalis, naging moot and academic.

Ang biruan nga noong 1997, eh: will he retire in '97? Or AT 97?* :D

baludoy
08-01-2006, 11:42 AM
christian posted:

hehehe nice one kid cubao, how about Guidaben's son? JR Guidaben? he was a former schoolmate and played for our passerelle team, i just don't know where he went after.

didn't this guy play for up several years back?

i heard that abet and his family are now residents of the usa. don't know for sure though

joelex
08-05-2006, 09:19 AM
Jun Tanuan, son of the late Jack Tanuan, is currently in the lineup of FEU's team B and from what i gathered, he is serving this year as residency to be eligible for next season's UAAP. He played for New Era's junior squad and he is a former teammate of another 2nd generation player, Mikee Victorino (Manny), in their Benedictine I.S. high school team. :)

pachador
05-09-2007, 09:02 AM
March 29, 2007
I wanna be like Dad!*

http://www.manilatimes.net/national/2007/apr/14/yehey/images/life.jpg
Benjie Paras with his 2 sons , a 9 year old and an 11 year old
LIKE father, like son. Most kids look up to their dads as role models and heroes. They get so much inspiration from their dads that they usually pursue the same passions and follow the career paths of their folks.

This is so true for second-generation basketball fanatics like Kiefer and Thirdy Ravena, Andre and Kobe Paras, Michael Alfonso Santos and Aaron Black, who all want to play ball just like their famous dads.

“Basketball runs in the family. My dad played before and made a name in the courts. I want to be like him and play in the PBA, too,” said Kiefer, the 13-year-old son of former basketball heavyweight Bong Ravena.

Kiefer’s 10-year-old brother, Thirdy, already has a PBA team in mind. “I want to play for Talk ’N Text because that’s where my dad played for,” he says.

Similarly emulating their fathers are 11-year-old Andre and 9-year-old Kobe, the kids of two-time PBA MVP Benjie Paras; 6-year-old Michael Alfonso, unico hijo of Barangay Ginebra’s Rodney Santos; and 10-year-old Aaron, son of PBA grand-slam champion coach Norman Black.

“I want to be a professional player like my dad someday,” says Andre. Kobe, named after NBA power player Kobe Bryant, adds that he likes playing center likes his tall dad, who has since been sidelined by acting as a comedian on television.

As for Michael Alfonso, Daddy Rodney says, “At such an early age, he already dribbles very well and he tells me that he will one day play for Ginebra. That’s why I like him to train at the BEST center because the place teaches discipline and takes the child away from drugs and bad company.”

According to player-turned-coach Norman Black, his son Aaron “takes basketball very seriously” as can be seen during his stint in many amateur basketball tournaments.

Knowing what’s best for their sons, our ever-supportive cage heroes have sent their boys to the MILO-sponsored BEST Center, the country’s longest-running scientific basketball program to hone their skills and to build their foundation. Paras and Santos also trained with the BEST center during younger years.

“The clinic has helped me a lot and I’ll never be where I am now without the training I got there. I’d like my sons to benefit from its scientific training, too,” says Paras, who enrolled by his parents when he was 10.

“With the BEST Center, I believe my son will even become a better player than me,” expresses Santos, a BEST trainee at age 17.

Now a clinic instructor, Black says the BEST Center is good for aspiring cagers. “It teaches the correct fundamentals of the game and inculcates the importance of practicing what they learn,” he says.

According to Paras, “basketball helps a player to be strong and enhances his ability to analyze problems and make quick decisions” while Black says it makes kids understand the value of “hard work, concentration on the job at hand and obedience to coaches and superiors.”

Such valuable lessons both inside and outside the court will come in handy when these youngsters move forward in pursuing their dreams, in following the footsteps of accomplished dads like Benjie, Bong, Rodney and Norman.

http://www.manilatimes.net/national/2007/apr/14/yehey/life/20070414lif1.html

MrGotti
05-09-2007, 02:13 PM
Where are these kids studying? Meron bang na sa Ateneo?

Jeep
05-09-2007, 02:26 PM
Where are these kids studying?* Meron bang na sa Ateneo?

coach norman's son plays with the baby eaglets. i saw him last year (coach norman was watching, too), sometime in october, in the milo small basketeers' program finals vs. the baby greenies of LSGH, which the latter sadly won -- in our home court at that(BEG)!

bong ravena's son kiefer i also recall was in the AGS. don't know if he is now with the eaglets under coach jamike.

MVBA
05-09-2007, 02:35 PM
* * *The Mindanao Visayas Basketball Association has two sons of former PBA players on its rosters -- Woodrow Enriquez, son of Alfredo "Fredo" Enriquez and Nino Ramirez, son of Jesus "Jay" Ramirez.* Both young stars are members of back-to-back champion M. Lhuillier Kwarta Padala-Cebu City.

pio_valenz
05-09-2007, 07:15 PM
Oh, okay. Press release lang pala ng Milo BEST yung article. ::)

bchoter
05-09-2007, 08:28 PM
Did you notice the Jarencio in the Fil-oil? :D

pachador
05-10-2007, 12:31 AM
does it look like if Norman Black's son will eventually be as tall or taller than his dad?

Where are these kids studying?* Meron bang na sa Ateneo?

coach norman's son plays with the baby eaglets. i saw him last year (coach norman was watching, too), sometime in october, in the milo small basketeers' program finals vs. the baby greenies of LSGH, which the latter sadly won -- in our home court at that(BEG)!

bong ravena's son kiefer i also recall was in the AGS. don't know if he is now with the eaglets under coach jamike.

Kid Cubao
05-10-2007, 07:42 AM
too early to tell if he's gonna be as tall as or taller than his dad. what's been observed, though, is that even his young age, aaron black already has a much better shooting stroke than his dad during his PBA heyday.

gameface_one
05-10-2007, 09:39 AM
Shout-out from Parks’ son
SPORTING CHANCE By Joaquin M. Henson
The Philippine Star 05/10/2007

Seven-time PBA Best Import awardee Bobby Parks’ son Ray sent an email from Memphis the other day to say he’s doing fine playing basketball and missing his Filipino relatives.

Ray seems on the way to becoming a Fil-Am superstar. He turned only 14 last Feb. 19 and now stands 6-4, give or take an inch. From the way he’s growing, Ray could shoot up to 6-8 – way taller than his dad who was listed a generous 6-5 in US college basketball record books.

Bobby, 45, was a star at Memphis State and played for the Tigers varsity that went to the NCAA Sweet 16 thrice. He was picked on the third round by the Atlanta Hawks in the 1984 NBA draft where the top five picks, in order, were Hakeem Olajuwon, Sam Bowie, Michael Jordan, Sam Perkins and Charles Barkley.

Bobby was the 58th player of 228 chosen in the draft. Among the players who were selected after him were Rick Carlisle, Bob Thornton, Eddie Wilkins, Butch Hays and Ken Bannister. Wearing his trademark No. 22, Bobby played for the Hawks in the NBA preseason but was cut before the regular campaign started.

Bobby made his PBA debut for San Miguel Beer in 1987 then saw action for Shell up to 1998, finishing his 12-year career with nearly 9,000 points, over 3,000 rebounds and more than 1,000 assists in 220 games. In 1989, he averaged a whopping 52.6 points in 23 games with a high of 72.

Ray’s email was written in both English and Filipino, like a true Fil-Am. Here’s what he said:

"My name is Bobby Ray Parks, Jr. but my close friends call me Ray. I am originally from the Philippines.

"Ako ay tumira sa Pilipinas ng eight to nine years. I speak Tagalog fluently. I am about 6-3 or 6-4 and I play all positions but I prefer to play the shooting guard or small forward (positions).

"Ako ngayon ay tumitira sa Memphis, Tennessee. I’ve been staying here for a year. I average about 25 points a game and around seven rebounds and five assists. I just turned 14 last Feb. 19 and I weigh about 178 pounds.

"There is a lot more competition here in Memphis. I’m a lefty and I can handle, shoot, post up and dunk. Also, I wear a size 14 shoe. I attend Ridgeway Middle School and I’m in the eighth grade going to ninth. I hope to play in the NBA or PBA someday. That’s after I finish college.

"I would want to give a shout-out to my family in the Philippines and my close friends. Ingat kayo, mga kababayan ko, mga taga-Parañaque at Makati."

Ray’s Filipina mother Shane was Bobby’s first wife. Bobby is remarried to another Filipina, Jasmine. * * *
Boxing judge Chuck Giampa is gaining a solid reputation for incredible scoring in world title fights and should either get his eyes checked or surrender his license forever to preserve the integrity of the sport.

In Las Vegas last Saturday, Giampa turned in another questionable scorecard. He saw it, 116-112, for Floyd Mayweather Jr. over Oscar de la Hoya. The four-point margin could hardly be justified, considering how close the fight was. Another judge Jerry Roth had it, 115-113, for Mayweather. If Roth scored the 12th and last round for de la Hoya as did Giampa and judge Tom Kaczmarek, the outcome would’ve been a split draw.

Giampa gave six of the last eight rounds to Mayweather to seal it for Pretty Boy.

You remember, of course, that Giampa scored, 114-112, for Fernando Montiel in his defense of the WBO superflyweight crown against Filipino challenger Z Gorres in Cebu last February. Montiel beat Gorres by a disputed split decision. Judge Raul Caiz Sr. also saw it for Montiel, 115-111. Only Denny Nelson followed his conscience or judged the right fight and had it, 115-111, for Gorres.

A month later, Giampa was again in queer street, scoring, 119-109, for WBO superbantamweight champion Daniel Ponce de Leon over Gerry Peñalosa in Las Vegas. He gave Peñalosa just one round even as The Ring Magazine said Ponce de Leon was lucky to win the bout.

Giampa is no stranger to strange scoring. In 1993, he was the only judge to favor Sung Kil Moon as Jose Luis Bueno won by split decision in a WBC superflyweight title bout in Pohang, Korea. Giampa had it, 115-114, for the hometowner, perhaps to worm his way into the hosts’ good graces, while Marty Denkin saw it, 117-112, and Lou Filippo, 118-110, for the visitor. You’ll notice the two other judges’ scorecards weren’t close.

Only last January, Giampa once more stood out like a sore thumb when he scored it ,115-113, for Herman Ngoudjo in Jose Luis Castillo’s win via a split decision in a WBC lightwelterweight title eliminator in Las Vegas. Mike Ross and Glenn Trowbridge both saw it, 115-113, for Castillo.

Give boxing a break. Giampa, who started as a boxing judge in 1986, should be retired. At 64, the dinosaur should be declared extinct.

gameface_one
09-24-2007, 07:39 AM
Sons of cage greats doing great in UAAP

By JOEY VILLAR
The Philippine Star

The ongoing UAAP high school basketball title showdown between arch rivals Ateneo de Manila and La Salle-Zobel is also a showcase of the sons and grandson of former cage stars and icons who once ruled the game in their glory days.

Ateneo, for instance, has four – Keifer Ravena, Tim Capacio, Ael Banal and Ise Reyes, whose fathers are Bong Ravena, Ely Capacio, Joel Banal and RP men’s team coach Chot Reyes, respectively.

La Salle, on the other hand, boasts of two, including former Senator and basketball great Freddie Webb’s grandson David Webb and former many-time PBA Defensive Player of the Year Glen Capacio’s son Matthew.

But they’re not just namesakes – they play like their fathers.

Ravena, for one, has the moves and shooting skills of his father, now an assistant to Dindo Pumaren at University of the East. Webb, the leading candidate for the UAAP high school MVP plum, displays the same grace, not to mention speed, as his grandpa.

In fact, Webb, a senior, fired 17 points in powering the Junior Archers to a 76-74 win over the Eaglets Saturday to gain a 1-0 edge in their best-of-three duel.

This early, Ravena, whose mother Mossy is also a volleyball star during her college days at UST, has proved he’s ready to take over the team.

"He’s a gem," said Ateneo mentor Jamike Jarin of the 13-year-old Keifer.

"David is the team’s heart and soul, he’s the leader of this team," La Salle coach Boris Aldeguer said of the 6-3 Webb, who has a wide array of shots, including a spinning move from both sides.

At 6-5, Tim Capacio is starting to assert himself on the floor with a size, heft and move similar to father Ely while Banal is slowly but surely taking the path his dad, Joel, once took.

His cousin, Matthew, is as aggressive and defense-minded like his father Glen, who watched his son from the sidelines and liked what he saw.

"I guide him and support him in things that he does. But I basically let him find his own identity on the court," said Capacio, a nine-time member of the PBA Defensive Team.

Ise Reyes, member of the noted Reyes clan, has the outside shot, the speed to make it big like his father and uncles.

In due time, these second and third generation stars are expected to lord it over in the pro league, the way their fathers and grandfathers did.

nastrans
10-01-2007, 08:48 PM
EAC's Nico Hubalde still playing in the UCAA, one of Freddie Hubalde's son at ang natitira yatang Hubalde sa collegiate leagues sa ngayon.

joelex
10-05-2007, 01:16 AM
how does his game compare to that of his more prominent brothers? any chance he'll surpass either?

LION
10-05-2007, 08:29 AM
Nico pales in comparison to Derrick Hubalde although they have the same playing style. Nico has sparks of brilliance but is mostly inconsistent.

Kung magaling talaga yan sana sa UAAP or NCAA naglalaro.

AnthonyServinio
10-05-2007, 11:02 AM
EAC's Nico Hubalde still playing in the UCAA, one of Freddie Hubalde's son at ang natitira yatang Hubalde sa collegiate leagues sa ngayon.

Another second-generation star on the EAC Generals' roster is JR Manansala, son of 1978 PBA Rookie of the Year Jimmy Manansala. A couple of years back, they had the son of another PBA player Joshua Villapando.

bluegirl
10-05-2007, 11:33 AM
The late Martin Urra Sr. was a contemporary and teammate of the legendary Carlos Loyzaga in several Philippine NTs.

Sonny Co was a PBA pioneer in 1975, not sure what team, maybe U-Tex Wranglers(?). He now coaches one of the high schools in the Tiong Lian.

alam ko matagal na ung post, ngayon ko lang nabasa eh. Sunny Co played for great taste. naglaro sya sa micaa and pba. unfortunately, a knee injury shortened his professional career. and sean co's mother, julieta co was a former member of the Women's RP Team during her hey day.

MIT's jonathan banal is the son of coach koy banal
yuri escueta's dad was also a basketball player
alvin teng's son is currently enrolled in xavier, i'm not sure if he is playing for the varsity. but i have seen him play and he has potential.

oca
10-05-2007, 12:04 PM

Sonny Co was a PBA pioneer in 1975, not sure what team, maybe U-Tex Wranglers(?).* He now coaches one of the high schools in the Tiong Lian.

alam ko matagal na ung post, ngayon ko lang nabasa eh. Sunny Co played for great taste. naglaro sya sa micaa and pba. unfortunately, a knee injury shortened his professional career. and sean co's mother, julieta co was a former member of the Women's RP Team during her hey day.

MIT's jonathan banal is the son of coach koy banal
yuri escueta's dad was also a basketball player
alvin teng's son is currently enrolled in xavier, i'm not sure if he is playing for the varsity. but i have seen him play and he has potential.

The kid is part of Xavier's Passarelle team that won the just concluded MILO-BEST for NCR.

bchoter
10-05-2007, 05:57 PM

* * *Another second-generation star on the EAC Generals' roster is JR Manansala, son of 1978 PBA Rookie of the Year Jimmy Manansala.* A couple of years back, they had the son of another PBA player Joshua Villapando.
His brother, Nino, played for UST. He used to be part of the coaching staff of one school. Can't remember if it's AMA or STI.

onggok
10-06-2007, 03:27 AM
sino bang may alam dito kung may anak na lalaki sina Lea Andanar at Arlan yu? kasi pareong malalaki itong
dalawang ito ( Lea 5"10 at Arlan 6'5) at kung meron ilan taon na at saan naglalaro?

irateluvmachine
10-14-2007, 05:32 PM
this isn't exactly basketball roots...iba kasi ang nilalarong (mga) basketball ng anak... ;D surprised no one has mentioned this so far...

how about former pba point guard eddie boy mendoza...and his "son", IC? ;D

genom222
11-03-2007, 06:47 AM
this isn't exactly basketball roots...iba kasi ang nilalarong (mga) basketball ng anak... ;D* surprised no one has mentioned this so far...

HAHAHAHA! nice one!

aircanda
11-03-2007, 06:02 PM
this isn't exactly basketball roots...iba kasi ang nilalarong (mga) basketball ng anak... ;D* surprised no one has mentioned this so far...

HAHAHAHA! nice one!

hehehe... iba ata ang sport ni IC eh... ;D

amdgc82
11-24-2007, 10:24 AM
http://bleachersbrew.blogspot.com/2007/11/son-rises-chat-with-kiefer-ravena.html

Saturday, November 24, 2007
The Son Rises. A Chat with Kiefer Ravena.

The Ravena household is like the UAAP. Mom Mozzy is from UST. Their famous father, Bong, was the King Warrior of his time aside from being a former PBA Rookie of the Year with San Miguel Beer. And up until last year, younger brother Thirdy was still in La Salle Greenhills (he has since moved to Loyola Heights). And Kiefer is from the runner-up Blue Eaglets and this young is already drawing raves from every basketball nook, chat room, and cognoscenti.

Kiefer wears #14 for the team. But for his ABL jersey he sports #24. The number fourteen by tradition has always been reserved for any basketball team’s starting center. It’s a fine tradition that began with Caloy Loyzaga when even as a senior in high school, he was leading the college varsity to the NCAA Men’s title. That’s how revered he was. And so for a frosh point guard to wear the number...

As for #24? “Kobe Bryant. Kobe. Yes, I’m a big fan so that makes me a fan of the Lakers. But I like Steve Nash too,” he adds for variety, but he swears by Black Mamba. “If he moves to Chicago then I’ll be a fan of the Bulls.”

Bong Ravena + Kobe Bryant = high-flying, high-scoring, absolutely fearless basketball player.

See the resemblance?

Athletic. Magic with the ball. A money player come money time. And that Afro.

Okay so Kiefer doesn’t sport an Afro. He laughs at the thought and ruffles his spiked hair.

While Kiefer hasn’t had that growth spurt just yet, he is already playing bigger than his height. As a freshman, he played the game of his life against the De La Salle Zobel Junior Archers in the just-concluded Junior’s UAAP basketball tournament. It’s rare that a freshman makes the junior varsity. More so to stay in a close game during crunch time. But there he was taking it to the hole against the taller Archers. And just when his guards thought he’d be driving to the hoop, he would stick a trey right in their faces. It was an incandescent performance despite a losing cause. Yet it was eerily reminiscent of LA Tenorio in the 2001’s seniors’ finals where he pumped in 33 huge points to forever cement his name in UAAP lore.

The league may have conferred the rookie of the Year Award to a player from UE, but the UAAP Press Corp restored a measure of justice by handing it to Ravena.

Dad Bong is proud of his son’s accomplishments. But the son is even prouder. He knows an obscure stat: “Dad scored 27 in his first game in the UAAP (and that was against Ateneo).”

“And napanood ko na siya sa Talk n Text.”

It’s a Friday and the high school has been let out early. Practice is at 4pm and before that pro team Coca Cola then PBL team Pharex are scheduled one after another for their own team practices. Ravena steals some time to shoot on one of the unused courts. There are two things he distinctly remembers – the SBP loss to Ateneo when he was playing for La Salle Greenhills in Grade 5 (Ravena missed a potential game winner against an Ateneo team that was bannered by Chucky Dumrique, Jayvee’s younger brother.

It was to be his last game for LSGH as he transferred to Ateneo the following year after being recruited by none other than the blue and white’s chief patron Manny Pangilinan. Even then there were rumors floated about by parents of his former schoolmates that he deliberately missed the shot (that would have given the Greenies an SBP three-peat) since he was transferring to Ateneo. “That wasn’t true,” he asserts.

At first he worried the transition would be difficult, but some of his new schoolmates were familiar to him since they played together in various tournaments.

Now he walks the campus like he’s been here in all his life. Clearly enjoying his new school, he’s aware of the tradition and the possibilities. “Malaking inspiration sa akin na yung mga players ng Ateneo nakakuha ng magandang education. Nakikita ko naman na hindi lahat ng player kahit yung ibang magagaling at umaabot sa PBA. Yung iba nandoon pero hindi tumatagal. Saan na sila pagkatapos noon?”

“So big deal yung studies sa akin at sa parents ko. And sana maka laro para sa Blue Eagles.”

Posted by Rick Olivares* *

ankle breaker
12-11-2007, 02:56 AM
Is Billy and "Haba Haba" Abbarientos the same person? If yes then Johny is not a son but a nephew.

UST had its share of 2nd generation players. Derek Hubalde and Danny Pribhdas were mentioned earlier. Others include:

1. Richard Melencio - Tembong's son
2. Jininio Manansala - Jimmy Manansala's
3. Richard Yee - Jesse Migalbin's
4. Lester and Edsel del Rosario - son of the former UST player and coach
5. Dondin Villamin - nephew of Crispa great Yoyoy
6. The Tuadles brothers - the late Arnie's sons

Unfortunately, save for Danny, nobody in the list will surpas their father's careers.

6. The Tuadles brothers - the late Arnie's sons - now addicted to shabu and was recently nabbed by the police.

thadzonline
12-31-2007, 08:12 PM
Anybody heard of that 6'9" Ryan Fernando guy? he could be around 20 years old by now

gameface_one
01-03-2008, 09:58 AM
Sons of ex-cagers rise in Youth tryout

By NELSON BELTRAN
The Philippine Star

Gabriel Banal, Gwyne Capacio, Anton Altamirano and Jeric Teng are four of seven second-generation players heading the list of 20 players who made the latest cut in the ongoing tryout for the RP Youth team to the coming SEABA youth champion in Malaysia in May.

Nicolas Salva, Jed Manguera and Joseph Marata are the other second-generation players very much in contention for the team being groomed to make the Asian youth championship in Iran in September and the First Youth Olympics in 2010.

Gabriel, Gwyne, Anton and Jeric are sons of former national players who later played in the PBA.

Gabriel’s father is Alaska assistant coach Joel, Gwyne is FEU coach Glen’s first boy, Anton is National Youth Training Center supervisor Eric’s kid while Jeric’s dad is former PBA enforcer Alvin.

The fathers of Salva, Manguera and Marata played college ball.

Six-foot-6 center Philip Paredes from Cagayan de Oro, 6-foot-1 wingman John Ray Sumido from Iloilo and 6-foot-3 forward Jairold Flores from Negros Occidental were three players left from the 14 out-of-towners brought in by the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas for a tryout from Dec. 26-30.

The other remaining hopefuls are La Salle-Zobel’s Luigi dela Paz, JRU’s Jerome Cruz and Jerome Ramos, FEU’s Ryan Roose Garcia, Ateneo’s Frank Golla, UPIS’ Joel Tolentino, UP’s Mark Lopez and Don Carlo Fortu, NU’s Joseph Terso and Mark Jovet Mendoza, Adamson’s Andrew Penan and Southridge’s Andrew Felix.

"These are guys showing dedication and commitment to the team. Most probably 16 will be left for the pool with the four to join the National Youth Training Center for possible use in the national team in the future," said RP youth coach Franz Pumaren.

Conspicuously missing in the list are NCAA juniors MVP Ryan Buenafe and fellow San Sebastian Staglets standout Arvy Bringas. The two showed up in the tryouts only in its early stages last November.

Seven out of the remaining hopefuls stand at least 6-foot-3. These are Salva, Cruz, Ramos, Golla, Penan, Paredes and Flores.

All the hopefuls are 17 years old or below. Capacio, Dela Paz and Paredes are the youngest at 15.

But Pumaren said they’re not yet closing the door on other players especially those from the provinces. He said he’ll also take a look on Fil-Am talents as he brings the pool to the US for a two-week training in March.

One player being recommended is 6-foot-5 Fil-Italian Nico Monachini who plays for University of British Columbia in Canada.

Pumaren said among his goals is to bring back honor and prestige in representing the country in international competitions.

"I just feel that the last few years, playing for the country is no longer among the ambitions of our young players. Whereas before players were looking to play in college, the national team then the PBA, nowadays the priority it seems is college ball then the PBA," said Pumaren.

"I want to bring the RP team back in the equation," added Pumaren, a member of the RP team that last won the Asian championship in Malaysia in 1986.

Pumaren knows that he has a tough job, considering the fact that the Philippines last won the Asian youth championship in 1982.

"Hopefully, with the program that we have, we can end the title drought. We set a three-year program. Our target is to make it to the First Youth Olympics in 2010," said Pumaren.

onggok
02-25-2008, 05:52 AM
While I'm watching PBA finals, I heard Dennis Espino has 8 years old son (Joshua). Can anybody give some information about his kid if he is playing basketball too. I also remembered Dennis has two older brothers have the same height (6'5) I wondered what happened to them if they have kids playing basketball too. Information about Benjie Paras son.