PDA

View Full Version : Gearing up for July (DLSU's off season tourneys and pre-UAAP exhibition games)

bigfreeze_bibby
04-27-2007, 07:48 AM
Guys, I think it's about time to start this thread for all our pre-season tournaments and exhibition games. We have two tournaments that we are participating as of the moment which is the Flying V and the Nike Summer League. This is the area where you can update and discuss all happenings and events for our team during the pre-season heading up for UAAP season 70 in July.

The lineup that will play in the Nike Summer League will compose the same lineup that will play in the Flying V tournament. Although this was already posted in AP.com and Nike basketball Philippines website, here is the DLSU lineup more or less for both pre season leagues:

Acibar, Kenneth
Atkins, Simon
Batricevic, Marko
Casio, Joseph
Co, Kish
Cua, OJ
Ferdinand, Ferdie
Ilad, Brian
Lee, Rejan
Maierhofer, Rico
Malabes, Bader
Mangahas, James
Mangahas, Allan*
Olalia, Jeffrey
t@ng, Tyrone*
Villanueva, Cholo*
Walsham, PJ*

The new kids on the block on that lineup are Jeff Olalia and Ken Acibar who both played for the Adamson Baby Falcons last season.

Kid Cubao
04-27-2007, 11:05 AM
man, this lineup is effing impressive. great, great additions in acibar, batricevic, ferdinand, malabes, and olalia. may kulang lang, di ko matukoy. teka...

shyboy
04-27-2007, 12:20 PM
Kid Cubao, you missed out Simon Atkins and 2005 NCAA Juniors MVP Allan Mangahas. :)

admu14
04-27-2007, 03:15 PM
man, this lineup is effing impressive. great, great additions in acibar, batricevic, ferdinand, malabes, and olalia. may kulang lang, di ko matukoy. teka...

sino si paguia?

cl.blue.24
04-27-2007, 04:06 PM
how about the la salle juniors? how are they doing in the summer games?

bigfreeze_bibby
04-27-2007, 04:18 PM

sino si paguia?

Maybe you were referring to Jeff Olalia. Jonas Paguia I believe will still play for the Tamaraws in the seniors.

bigfreeze_bibby
04-27-2007, 04:20 PM
how about the la salle juniors? how are they doing in the summer games?

Unfortunately (and I am sorry for this), I can't provide that much info for our juniors squads. Maybe other regulars here who sees the games of the Junior Archers and the Greenies can give better analysis and discussion on how they are performing in the pre season summer leagues.

Rektikano
04-27-2007, 04:21 PM
Peejay Barua's not included in both summer tourneys but if his rehab goes very well, he's got a sure spot in the UAAP lineup. Hyram Bagatsing might be included in the Nike lineup...I think former Junior Archers Espina and Escalante along with former Red Cub Mallari are also in the Nike Summer League lineup..

Kid Cubao
04-27-2007, 06:12 PM
natumbok mo rek, si barua yung wala. why, what happened to him? all the best to peejay.

Rektikano
04-28-2007, 03:47 PM
Kid,

Freak accident nangyari kay Peejay. Tapos na practice. Kids being kids, they were fooling around. Parang he tried a dunk or alleyop or whatever, sumabit sa ring, mali ang bagsak, yun na. Buti na lang di ACL or even MCL. He underwent surgery to repair something and is right now in rehab. Anyway, I understand his rehab is going just fine. Nakakatakbo na siya sa treadmill. :) Pero di nawala yung shooting touch nung bata..hehe..after the practice game with Beda last Tuesday, he shot some baskets with the rest of the guys and ok pa naman.. :D

bigfreeze_bibby
04-29-2007, 07:08 AM
Since nakakalito tignan lahat yung schedules posted for the Nike Summer League, I asked help from nastrans to filter out DLSU's schedule for the NSL. I am posting it here so that it will be easier for you guys to check your schedules and go to the games if ever you're available for these play dates:

April 30 - 1:30 PM vs PMI
May 3 - 1:00 PM vs PCU-M
May 5 - 1:00 PM vs Olivarez
May 8 - 1:00 PM vs JRU
May 10 - 1:00 PM vs DLSU-D
May 17 - 1:00 PM vs UE

All games at FEU gym

bigfreeze_bibby
05-01-2007, 10:09 AM
It's now 1-0 for us in the NSL. The Green Archers manhandled PMI yesterday, 110-72. I think there were 5 Archers who scored in double digits.

Kid Cubao
05-01-2007, 11:10 AM
medyo delayed ang posting ng mga earlier game results sa basement ng FEU gym. hinahanap ko kahapon ang resulta ng game nyo kahapon sa tally board, pero di pa naitala. congrats for this victory and the win over ateneo last sunday :)

brian
05-02-2007, 01:34 PM
kid,
great game by the eagles too....'cha natalo nga kayo, however, you haven't left as with the feeling that na nanalo kami..... :(

but as the old adage goes, a win is still a win.. ;)

can't wait for the uaap season to begin, ika nga totohanan na he he!

bigfreeze_bibby
05-04-2007, 06:55 AM
The Green Archers are now 2-0 in the Nike Summer League campaign after beating PCU-Manila yesterday to the tune of 92-69. Rico, Bader, OJ Cua did not suit up, and Marko was not fielded in according to david64. Maybe others who have watched the game can share more insights and notes regarding the game. I am more interested actually on who played for the Dolphins.

greencm
05-05-2007, 10:36 PM
Make that 3-0 as we had a nail-biter against olivarez, 106-65, i believe ;)

bigfreeze_bibby
05-06-2007, 08:24 PM
Make that 3-0 as we had a nail-biter against olivarez, 106-65, i believe* ;)

Yup. I just got word on this earlier today while watching the FilOil games wherein we ended this week's pre-season scheduled games in a clean slate after beating San Beda to the tune of 97-84.

david64
05-06-2007, 08:36 PM
Correction : The score in the DLSU-Olivares College game yesterday (Nike SL) was 120-69.

gfy
05-22-2007, 12:07 PM
deleted

nightowl
05-22-2007, 03:53 PM
I think Yeo had better manners than Enrico and Wesley, but I guess that depends on which side of the fence you're on. Do Enrico and Wesley have halos above trheir heads, you think?

As to Rejan, I think the coaches saw his potential ahead of you.

gfy
05-22-2007, 04:35 PM
deleted

christian
05-22-2007, 11:01 PM
san galing HS si rejan lee?

go_flames_go
05-23-2007, 01:07 AM
san galing HS si rejan lee?

I believe he went to Xavier.

Ranger
05-23-2007, 11:14 AM
Gee likes one of our new players... Rejan Lee... uuuyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.....

brian
05-24-2007, 01:26 AM
^Lighten up. I mentioned earlier that Rejan was the slasher DLSU was looking for. Si Brian nga meron sinabi about Rejan.

Even your Vagged posted in PEX that DLSU's team now is mabait save for Ilad hehe. Wala na daw kasi sina Yeo, Arana and Cardona. We'll talk about Enrico and Wesley some other time. :D

yup, simply reminded you that we had rejan lee when you kept insisting that ue would clobber us in the homegrown cup..

"gfy,

but you forget, we have rejan lee

seriously now.. you speak of so many good ue players..my point, as if naman we have none of our own ha ha!

we've have battled this ue team and have prevailed in the past. the difference now is we don't have joseph yeo, on the other hand, they are also missing bonbon custodio...

i am not saying that we surely are to win but only that it will be a great game...."

gfy
05-24-2007, 05:25 AM
deleted

bigfreeze_bibby
05-24-2007, 10:08 AM
If I'm not mistaken, Rejan and Kish belong in the same graduating batch from different schools of course. Both of them had their jousts back in Tiong Lian leading their respective schools. Rejan was one of the main scorers of Xavier while Kish, obviously, was towering his way for St. Stephen.

Rejan still needs to improve his outside shot as it's not yet that deadly but I simply admire his guts taking the ball to the hoop. He doesn't care if his shot gets blocked, or him being for the charging foul, or benefiting from a blocking foul called on the defender. Iba talaga lakas ng loob.

Wingman
05-24-2007, 09:25 PM
Rejan Lee is a relatively tall guard, the kind that Ateneo needs. He's quick and his ballhandling, defense and slashing skills are good and getting better. His outside shots are now finding their mark.

Brian, I was referring to when you wrote something like UE has Paul Lee and you have Rejan Lee and that was the time he was making a lot of rookie mistakes.

Why the attention on Rejan, gfy? Cute ba sya? :)

flsfnoeraekadad
05-24-2007, 10:00 PM
Rejan Lee is a relatively tall guard, the kind that Ateneo needs. He's quick and his ballhandling, defense and slashing skills are good and getting better. His outside shots are now finding their mark.

Brian, I was referring to when you wrote something like UE has Paul Lee and you have Rejan Lee and that was the time he was making a lot of rookie mistakes.

Why the attention on Rejan, gfy? Cute ba sya? :)
Uy, isyu yan. Ha ha! ;D

gfy
05-25-2007, 04:14 AM
deleted

Wingman
05-25-2007, 07:14 AM
gfy, how about Atkins? Any observations on him? Cute din ba? Kelangan mo, este, ng Ateneo din ba?

bigfreeze_bibby
05-25-2007, 10:08 AM
Mga pogi back to topic na tayo baka mabigyan tayo ng warning ng MTRCB. We have two games left in the FilOil while as you all know, we've already qualified for the quarters of the Nike Summer League. We just have to wait for the schedules of the NSL playoffs. I hope these would fall though on a weekend so that most of us can watch. I think this is more competitive that the FilOil games.

Joescoundrel
06-05-2007, 09:34 AM
Bibby any updates on the Nike and Fil-Oil Finals?

Is Lasalle in both tournaments's respective Finals?

Sorry, dude, I haven't been around the past couple of days...

shyboy
06-05-2007, 05:18 PM
La Salle is in the semis of both leagues. I think the Archers face the Red Warriors in both the semis games.

06-05-2007, 08:19 PM
It's DLSU vs. NU for the Filoil semis.

bigfreeze_bibby
06-06-2007, 08:23 AM
Pareng Joe, nasagot na yung questions mo regarding our status in the 2 off season leagues that we're playing as of the moment. The game against UE is later today while the semis game against NU is Monday next week if I'm not mistaken.

RAINMAN
06-06-2007, 06:05 PM
DLSU beat UE, 73-70 in the Nike Summer League. DLSU will face FEU in the finals.

shyboy
06-10-2007, 10:53 PM
DLSU beats FEU 88-83 in overtime to win this year's Nike Summer League title. Rico Maierhofer was named league MVP.

Sam Miguel
06-11-2007, 10:09 AM
Lasalle has not miss a beat in the offseason. After winning the Homegrown title behind gameface.ph player of the tournament JV Casio, the Green Archers just collected the Nike Summer League crown behind the game-long brilliance of center-forward Rico Maeirhofer. Although going up against a bevy of better-built and similarly sized players on the FEU side, the elongated Maeirhofer was a constant persence in the lane, especially off the critical offensive glass. This guy will be at least Number 2 on the MVP stats race for Season 70.

shyboy
06-11-2007, 03:14 PM
Coming off that overtime game for the Nike Summer League championship yesterday, the Green Archers still had the energy to win over the NU Bulldogs, 86-78, in this afternoon's Fil-Oil Pre-Season semifinal game.* They'll face the winner of the other semis game between UE and San Beda for the Fil-Oil championship.

Animo La Salle!!

anghusay
06-11-2007, 06:58 PM
San Beda won earlier over UE by four points. Game went into overtime. DLSU will play SBC on Wednesday June 13, 2007 3pm at the Arena in San Juan.

christian
06-11-2007, 08:39 PM
The Red Lions are very eager to get back at the Green Archers, after losing to them in the eliminations of the tourney, and costing me a 18" yellow cab to my GM! What better time than in the Fil Oil Finals? Good Luck to the Green Archers!

Animo San Beda!

I hope they give me a Pizza from my GM :)

bigfreeze_bibby
06-11-2007, 09:39 PM
Going back to the Nike Summer League finals game yesterday, it was evident to me that FEU is one of the real deals this UAAP season 70. It just amazes me how they're able to recruit one athletic big guy after another. It seemed that last year, I thought that it will take for about 3-4 years before FEU can hone another set of athletic guys that will replace Arwind Santos and co. but then yesterday I was proven wrong.

I even thought that Soc Rivera might be sitting in their team B due to the quality of tall, lanky, athletic, and versatile big men in Senor Anton's roster. The weakpoint that FEU might have is on their PG and SG wherein lack of experience might take its toll on them in the later stages of the tournament or in the final four itself (if ever FEU gets in the playoffs). That's where Ty, JV, and Cholo (or Poch if you want to call him as such) put in their maximum advantage to the finest.

NU will be also no pushovers this July. Without Asoro and Fernandez, they proved that they can make strong head way plays earlier. Their inside combo of Lingao Lingao and Aguilar was just simply too much for our big men. Even Salvado in the first half was waxing hot big time until such point that the Archers clamped the defenses on him to at least take out one of their problems. I have to give my hats off to the Archers for winning two tightly contested ball games in two consecutive days, which I find not so easy to accomplish.

Goodluck to San Beda in our return bout for the Fil-Oil Championship on Wednesday. This is going to be a good game for sure. Good final test for us before embarking to our mission in the UAAP.

Bennie Bangag
06-11-2007, 10:06 PM
congrats to la salle nga pala sa pagkapanalo sa 2007 NSL finals. wag lang kayong maubos sa fouls, mukhang kakayanin nyo ang san beda. pero matibay ang san beda, maganda ang pagkapanalo nila vs UE kanina.

shyboy
06-12-2007, 04:09 AM
Basta nasa court si Escobal kahit lamang ang San Beda ng apat, may pag-asa. :)

christian
06-12-2007, 12:50 PM
Don't worry, I'm sure Pong will be there until the end, so malaki ang chance nyo ;)

shyboy
06-13-2007, 05:55 PM
Wala naman si Pong to finish the game eh. :P

Congrats Green Archers! Woohoo, Two championships in four days! The guards are ready. Some more polishing for the frontline and the team will be true contenders come Season 70.

LION
06-14-2007, 07:34 AM
Congratulations to DLSU for the win!

oca
06-14-2007, 10:09 AM
As early as January, in the UAAP sub-forum I had picked DLSU to make the Finals in season70.

Basehan ko nuon ay yung materyales na meron si Franz Pumaren. January was a long wasy to July. Pero kung nariyan na ang mga kailangan mong players, it's a matter of time before they hit peak form and develop cohesion.

Yung kalawang na dala ng lay-off ay madaling solusyunan. Pero kung wala lang materyales- wala.

Huwag na i-downplay ang chances ng DLSU. This is a team who will make it to the Finals of Season70. I am not repeating that because they just won the Fil-Oil Pre-Season Tournament. But seeing HOW they played, IMO, the team will be playing until mid-October.

bigfreeze_bibby
06-14-2007, 10:39 AM
As early as January, in the UAAP sub-forum I had picked DLSU to make the Finals in season70.

Basehan ko nuon ay yung materyales na meron si Franz Pumaren. January was a long wasy to July. Pero kung nariyan na ang mga kailangan mong players, it's a matter of time before they hit peak form and develop cohesion.

Yung kalawang na dala ng lay-off ay madaling solusyunan. Pero kung wala lang materyales- wala.

Huwag na i-downplay ang chances ng DLSU. This is a team who will make it to the Finals of Season70. I am not repeating that because they just won the Fil-Oil Pre-Season Tournament. But seeing HOW they played, IMO, the team will be playing until mid-October.

Nawa'y mag dilang anghel ka dyan sa sinabi mo pero parang may kulang pa rin sa team. Hindi sapat yung performance nila in the two off season leagues that they joined in to propel us in the UAAP playoffs. May mga butas pa na kailangang ayusin na puedeng i-exploit ng sobra ng mga kalaban sa UAAP.

Congratulations to DLSU for the win!

Congrats din for a hard fought game. Sayang at di masyadong babad si Tecson. I'm sure this guy would have made a difference yesterday.

LION
06-14-2007, 10:59 AM
I agree with Oca. DLSU and UE are the team to beat in the UAAP based on the pre-season tournaments. DLSU basketball is thriving on a solid and successful system.*

I am amazed by the tremendous improvement of Rico, t@ng and Mangahas.* I also admire Cholo's simple yet deadly game.* His medium range jumpers are fun to watch. Deadshot.*

Most of all, I like this DLSU team now because of the character of their players. Walang angas. No reason to hate them. Rico, JV, Cholo, TY, PJ and the rest of the players are real gentlemen.* Brian Ilad may lose his temper once in a while pero wala ring angas ang taong ito.

oca
06-14-2007, 11:36 AM
Nawa'y mag dilang anghel ka dyan sa sinabi mo pero parang may kulang pa rin sa team. Hindi sapat yung performance nila in the two off season leagues that they joined in to propel us in the UAAP playoffs. May mga butas pa na kailangang ayusin na puedeng i-exploit ng sobra ng mga kalaban sa UAAP.

Congrats din for a hard fought game. Sayang at di masyadong babad si Tecson. I'm sure this guy would have made a difference yesterday.

You worry too much.

It's a 14-game eliminations leading to the semis. Kung ano man ang kulang, dahilan ba yan for you to miss the semis? At pag nasa-semis na ang DLSU, that character w/c Franz has developed in his players will carry you through.

Duon sa January post ko, I picked DLSU and UST to meet in the Finals.

Kahit di natin nakita ang anino ng Team A ng UST this summer, sila pa rin ang pick kong makakatapat ninyo. All these are base on the "materyales" na meron ang dalawang coaches.

Now, dahil di nga natin nakita ang anino ng Tigers, walang basehan to pick a winner. Yan ang abangan natin!

oca
06-14-2007, 11:39 AM
I agree with Oca. DLSU and UE are the team to beat in the UAAP based on the pre-season tournaments. DLSU basketball is thriving on a solid and successful system.*

I am amazed by the tremendous improvement of Rico, t@ng and Mangahas.* I also admire Cholo's simple yet deadly game.* His medium range jumpers are fun to watch. Deadshot.*

Most of all, I like this DLSU team now because of the character of their players. Walang angas. No reason to hate them. Rico, JV, Cholo, TY, PJ and the rest of the players are real gentlemen. Brian Ilad may lose his temper once in a while pero wala ring angas ang taong ito.

Sang-ayon ako riyan. All gentlemen. Si Brian naman, IMO, di naman yan mangunguna. Gaganti kung gaganti. Pero hindi nangbabastos ng kalaban yan.

Rektikano
06-14-2007, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the kind words, Sirs Oca and Lion, regarding the renewed character of our guys. The suspension brought about a deep soul searching for the team and I hope tuloy tuloy na 'to..

Congrats Green Archers for the 2 pre season titles. It was hard playing 2 tournaments at the same time and winning both at that! You guys sacrificed a lot especially during practices, what with a demanding coach like Coach Franz ( hehe, joke lang coach) who like Coach Popovich always demand perfection from his players. I remember in 1 stretch early May, we had to play about 7 games in 9 to 10 days. That was a killer!

Animo La Salle!!

bigfreeze_bibby
06-14-2007, 02:13 PM
Off Topic: Si JV nag-angas kahapon yan. Kinuha yung tseke tapos kinalimutan na magpa-picture sa team.

Fried Green Tomato
06-14-2007, 03:46 PM
This season, we're not even going to attempt downplaying our team's chances as a result of our wins in Nike & Fil-oil... it's a futile acto to do so.

Although we don't like the attention that we're going to get this season, as everybody should be looking at Growling Tigers being the defending champions, we have no choice.

Yesterday, we had a good game. San Beda is clearly the team to beat in the NCAA and with what they've shown yesterday, was a good sign of wonderful things to come for their NCAA campaign. We've seen two different coaching styles yesterday but in the end, franz had the edge being a veteran in amateur rules - right adjustments/substitutions in certain plays/situations.

The end result is secondary to what both teams experienced yesterday and hopefully, both teams would put in good use the deficiencies that they still have for the bigger wars they have in the UAAP & NCAA.

For sure, San Beda's opponents made copy of yesterday's game in preparation on how to minimize ekwe's dominance just as our opponents were watching closely our game (Ateneo & UST's coaching staff were present yesterday... writing, jotting & taking notes)

Good luck to San Beda on your campaign & hoping to another wonderful game soon.

Bennie Bangag
06-14-2007, 04:21 PM
sa totoo lang, natatawa pa rin ako pag naaalala ko yung mga nagpost noon na di raw makakapasok ang DLSU sa season 70 final 4. yoo hoo, nasan na kayo? heto lang ang problema mga repapips: mas markado kayo ngayon pag nagsimula na ang torneyo, gaya ng sabi ni FGT.

congrats mga kaibigan. di biro ang preseason record ninyo: homegrown cup, NSL, at hetong latest sa fil-oil preseason tournament. let's see if the rest of the field can rise to the challenge of your return to action.

christian
06-14-2007, 05:01 PM
Wala naman si Pong to finish the game eh.* *:P

Congrats Green Archers!* Woohoo, Two championships in four days!* The guards are ready.* Some more polishing for the frontline and the team will be true contenders come Season 70.

Hehe oo nga pare, hanep si TY, lalong gumagaling kapag kami ang kalaban. The DLSU guards was able to check our guards, hats off kay Cholo, JV (i love it everytime he swooshes in a 3) the on-court brilliance of TY, and of course the whole green team. The well prepared won yesterday ;)

Good luck to your campaign.

shyboy
06-14-2007, 05:48 PM
Wala naman si Pong to finish the game eh.* *:P

Congrats Green Archers!* Woohoo, Two championships in four days!* The guards are ready.* Some more polishing for the frontline and the team will be true contenders come Season 70.

Hehe oo nga pare, hanep si TY, lalong gumagaling kapag kami ang kalaban. The DLSU guards was able to check our guards, hats off kay Cholo, JV (i love it everytime he swooshes in a 3) the on-court brilliance of TY, and of course the whole green team. The well prepared won yesterday* ;)

Good luck to your campaign.

Good luck din sa San Beda sa NCAA. Malayo ang agwat niyo sa ibang teams.

shyboy
06-14-2007, 06:15 PM
sa totoo lang, natatawa pa rin ako pag naaalala ko yung mga nagpost noon na di raw makakapasok ang DLSU sa season 70 final 4. yoo hoo, nasan na kayo? heto lang ang problema mga repapips: mas markado kayo ngayon pag nagsimula na ang torneyo, gaya ng sabi ni FGT.

congrats mga kaibigan. di biro ang preseason record ninyo: homegrown cup, NSL, at hetong latest sa fil-oil preseason tournament. let's see if the rest of the field can rise to the challenge of your return to action.

despite the wins, parang may kulang pa sa totoo lang. wala yung effectivity ng press unlike before. the archers are relying too much on outside shooting and we all know di araw-araw pasko. true, winning these off season tournaments made other teams wary of the archers. madaming practice pa para mas flexible yung team.

Rektikano
06-14-2007, 06:22 PM

Sayang nga yung HAIL eh. We finished the elims as the number 1 team despite the 1 loss to Ateneo but FEU waylaid us in the semis in overtime at our homecourt. Naubos kasi kami nung HAIL semis. Depleted na nga yung lineup without the veterans tapos Peejay Barua and Bader got injured pa nung latter part nung tourney. Sayang. hehehe....sobrang swapang ko na yata neto...hehe..

Wala na kaming magagawa in us being markado pre..our guys just have to be ready each game.

Good luck to your Ateneo too, Bennie. Thanks for the accolade!

bigfreeze_bibby
06-15-2007, 08:07 AM
despite the wins, parang may kulang pa sa totoo lang. wala yung effectivity ng press unlike before. the archers are relying too much on outside shooting and we all know di araw-araw pasko. true, winning these off season tournaments made other teams wary of the archers. madaming practice pa para mas flexible yung team.

That was one part of my observation regarding the team's plays this past offseason tourneys. As frustrated as I am not seeing the effectivity of the press on these games, in the end, I am still happy because we are pulling off those victories minus the press effet. This is a good additional factor for us since opposing teams cannot simply rely on breaking our press to beat us. We can win also on deliberate half court sets and "phantom" traps, whether full court or 3/4 court.

oca
06-15-2007, 08:45 AM

That was one part of my observation regarding the team's plays this past offseason tourneys.* As frustrated as I am not seeing the effectivity of the press on these games, in the end, I am still happy because we are pulling off those victories minus the press effet.* This is a good additional factor for us since opposing teams cannot simply rely on breaking our press to beat us.* We can win also on deliberate half court sets and "phantom" traps, whether full court or 3/4 court.

IMO, this is a case where after so many years opponents have learned to play against it. It can no longer be employed in long stretches, but believe me may mabubulaga pa rin dyan.

Employing the press in now a matter of tactics. Parang pang-ambush na dapat ay maganda ang timing. Hindi na pwedeng gamiting stategy, unlike in years past.

Kid Cubao
06-15-2007, 10:00 AM
guys, in case you missed the latest developments in the la salle camp, may mga bago sa pressure defense na ginagamit ng green archers :)

in the past, la salle employed a variety of ZONE pressure predicated on the 2-2-1. of course, pinapailitan ni coach franz yung mga looks--minsan may 3-man front, minsan dalawa, minsan 1-3-1--pero asahan nyo na pag na-trap na yung ballhandler, it'll always end up with 2 trappers, 2 interceptors, and 1 safety [played to the hilt by the phenomenal rico maierhoffer].

these days, though, in addition to the 2-2-1 staple, the green archers have included variations of the run and jump press in the mix as part of its philosophy. this is how it works:

1. you begin from man-to-man coverage. the man guarding the ballhandler must keep him away from the middle and into the sideline. tawag dyan ay "force sideline," kumbaga uunahan ng depensa sa pwesto ang ballhandler in order to stop his dribble and/or draw a charge. this is the "run" part.

2. once you force sideline, the other defensive backcourt partner leaves his man in order to double team the trapped ballhandler. this is the "jump" part. after that, the other three will play both the man and the pass. at this point, halos lahat ng pasang ibabato ay paagaw na ;D

perhaps what's limiting the success of this set-up is the execution since it's still fairly new for la salle. mukhang kulang pa sa communication ang front line at back line--minsan nahuhuli magreact sina marko at kish co. pero maganda ito panoorin pag talagang kumagat.

GHRanger
06-15-2007, 10:11 AM
Thanks Kid. Napansin ko rin in the previous years yung style na yan, kung saan iipitin ka sa half court line (parang apat bantay mo (2 players, halfcourt line at sidelines.) Pero paisa isa lang ang pag employ nito kasi nakakaadjust kaagad yung opposing team after 1-2 tries. Pero ang ganda ngang tingnan, pag napilitan pumasa at naagaw yung bola, tapos may 2-3 players na nagfafast break.

Rektikano
06-15-2007, 10:12 AM
Two things regarding the press :

One.. The personnel we have. Before, we could employ the press with ease because we had one man press demons like Mon Jose, MacMac to Ryan Arana..These type of guys can shot down the dribble from the backcourt immediately and when the dribblers try to pass, the athletic big guys come down for the interceptions to the intended receiver.

Second.. The press is effective against some teams and not against others. Iba iba yan. That's why we can't employ it everytime. It depends on who we are playing. But make no mistake, it is part of our system and gagamitin yan. Just don't expect it everytime. Besides, there are lots of types of press in our system. you just have to recognize it. ;D

Rektikano
06-15-2007, 10:25 AM
Hey kid,

That's what I'm saying, that there are a lot of variations to the La Salle press. What you mentioned actually was already being used the past couple of years. Pero yun nga..para sa akin, depende kasi yan sa personnel. You mentioned Kish and Marko.. classic examples na not fast players kaya medyo not being there sa spots right away when dapat nandun na sila.

I understand some of the guys' frustrations here na may kulang pa. I also became frustrated during the middle part of the 2 tourneys. But seeing how the team worked so hard to achieve something threw all those worries away. Besides, they were still winning which made me think that pwede pa rin pala manalo kahit ang sama na ng laro (pwede kaya 'to sa UAAP? hehehe). A testament to the system if they just follow it to the letter.

So just hang in there guys. Be patient. Remember, we do not want to peak now. There is a right time to reach peak form..

shyboy
06-15-2007, 11:37 AM

One.. The personnel we have. Before, we could employ the press with ease because we had one man press demons like Mon Jose, MacMac to Ryan Arana..These type of guys can shot down the dribble from the backcourt immediately and when the dribblers try to pass, the athletic big guys come down for the interceptions to the intended receiver.

Second.. The press* is effective against some teams and not against others. Iba iba yan. That's why we can't employ it everytime. It depends on who we are playing. But make no mistake, it is part of our system and gagamitin yan. Just don't expect it everytime. Besides, there are lots of types of press in our system. you just have to recognize it. ;D

I'm more concerned about the first one. Yan din ang nasa isip ko, we don't anymore have any good pressure defenders sa tuktok. The guy who'll take this role is the key to the press. Kung mali yung pag-trap niya, patay na agad yung press. I think Cholo is the closest Archer who can possibly play this role. Timing lang yung papitik-pitik ng gamit ng press.

I am happy though that the guys are working so hard and we're in a position where we want to be. Still not in perfect form but progressing well enough to peak at the right time.

GHRanger
06-15-2007, 01:40 PM
How's OJ with the press? I heard some time back that he's shaping up to be the defensive anchor this coming year.

bigfreeze_bibby
06-15-2007, 02:15 PM
How's OJ with the press? I heard some time back that he's shaping up to be the defensive anchor this coming year.

From what I've seen in the games, OJ Cua is the player who harasses the inbounder of the opposing team. I feel that he's doing a good job on that category but the guy still lacks consistency. Minsan maganda, minsan hindi ang laro kaya hindi maiiwasan na nababangko siya.

Fried Green Tomato
06-15-2007, 02:55 PM
In the last few games of La Salle (both nike & fil-oil), we rarerly seen the vaunted la salle press. I guess, everybody's expecting it as it is a regular part of our game being a cornerstone of our system. But since these summer leagues were preparatory to the real test come uaap, it was a good time to experiment and try different options. And i think that's what franz did.

Eventhough we're heavily scouted, it is still good that we keep some of our options deeply embedded to our hearts. The element of surprise is still a good tactic for the 1st round of uaap.

Rektikano
06-15-2007, 05:26 PM

Second.. The press is effective against some teams and not against others. Iba iba yan. That's why we can't employ it everytime. It depends on who we are playing. But make no mistake, it is part of our system and gagamitin yan. Just don't expect it everytime. Besides, there are lots of types of press in our system. you just have to recognize it. ;D

I'm more concerned about the first one. Yan din ang nasa isip ko, we don't anymore have any good pressure defenders sa tuktok. The guy who'll take this role is the key to the press. Kung mali yung pag-trap niya, patay na agad yung press. I think Cholo is the closest Archer who can possibly play this role. Timing lang yung papitik-pitik ng gamit ng press.

I am happy though that the guys are working so hard and we're in a position where we want to be. Still not in perfect form but progressing well enough to peak at the right time.

Aside from the presser of the ball handler, importante sa akin yung kukuha dun sa receiver ng pasa ng ball handler. A lot of times, marami sana tayong interceptions kaso nahuhuli (or talagang mabagal?) yung trapper/interceptor like James, OJ, Kish or even Brian. The only guy that has very good timing diyan is Rico. But make no mistakes, coach Franz knows how to tweak this.

You're correct Shyboy, timing at biglaan yang paggamit sa press na yan..

shyboy
06-15-2007, 06:00 PM
Aside from the presser of the ball handler, importante sa akin yung kukuha dun sa receiver ng pasa ng ball handler. A lot of times, marami sana tayong interceptions kaso nahuhuli (or talagang mabagal?) yung trapper/interceptor like James, OJ, Kish or even Brian. The only guy that has very good timing diyan is Rico. But make no mistakes, coach Franz knows how to tweak this.

You're correct Shyboy, timing at biglaan yang paggamit sa press na yan..

Yeah, importante din yung nakaabang for the interception. Dito pa lang sa game against FEU and NU, madaming beses di umaabot yung interceptor sa pasa ng bola. Nakakahinayang. Ang kandahan sa press natin, alam ng kada isa yung role niya sa court. At saka reliable yung mga poste and alam ng lahat kapag na-break na yung press. Nakaka-balik agad lahat sa half-court defense kaya di basta-basta nakakakuha ng layup yung kalaban.

I very much agree with your assessment kay Rico. Rookie pa lang, kitang-kita na yung timing niya sa abang dun sa mga pasa. Ang haba din kasi ng galamay kaya pagkakuha ng bola, takbo agad for either a two-handed dunk or a long stretch layup.

George Best
06-17-2007, 10:54 AM
I'm not at all concerned if the press didn't work out in the off-season tourneys. Kung ako ang masusunod, I won't make them apply the pressure D in the off-season for the sole reason that I want our players to improve in their halfcourt defense. Yes, the pressure D works wonders for us but our true defensive capabilities will be tested on our halfcourt defense. Balewala rin ang pressure D if our players are fundamentally poor defensively that's why gusto ko puro halfcourt defense natin ang matest. In the game against San Beda, I wanted San Beda to continue to go to Ekwe para mas lalong matuto si Walsham dumepensa. It was a great test for our big men. In the game against FEU, our perimeter defense was truly tested. FEU had Cawaling and Baracael who are good jump shooters. That was another good test for us.

I'm confident our pressure D will show its effectivity once our players become fundamentally ready to play halfcourt d. You have to remember, a pressure d can always be broken but a good halfcourt d will win you championships.

Rektikano
06-18-2007, 05:01 PM
Agree 100% with George Best. It is my opinion that not all teams will succumbed to the pressure D for whatever reasons. It might be their press break is effective or our guys are just not up to it or lacking the ability to apply it. A good halfcourt D should also be in our arsenal especially when defending against the pick and roll, the screens for the shooters and the defense against good post players. These will be needed when defensive stops are needed in close games.

Kid Cubao
06-19-2007, 08:59 AM
a pressing team likes to press for two reasons:

1. to force turnovers that will lead to easy baskets on the other end; and
2. to force its opponent to play to the tempo they dictate.

opponents will realize that practicing good fundamentals and executing press break principles will help them avoid the traps and pitfalls of pressure defenses. however, the question is: are they beating the press in accordance with their own offensive philosophy, or are they trying to beat the press to the detriment of their natural tendencies, i. e. a slowdown team being forced to play uptempo to beat the traps?

Scout
06-19-2007, 04:29 PM
Seeing DLSU people on provincial sorties watching kids' and HS games in Cagayan, Negros, even Dumaguete makes me wonder what they're looking at, or to rephrase-- who they're looking for......

shyboy
06-19-2007, 05:40 PM
Probably the same reason why you were there, Scout. ;D

Scout
06-19-2007, 08:24 PM
Hahaha you got me there :D

George Best
06-20-2007, 11:44 AM
Last time I checked, everyone is allowed to watch basketball games even in Cagayan, Negros or Dumaguete.

Scout
06-20-2007, 01:56 PM
::) ::) ::)

Gil_Andrews
06-21-2007, 05:51 PM
Bibby, what are the injuries suffered by Batricevic and Malabes? Is Barua 100% already?

shyboy
06-21-2007, 06:47 PM
Secret. ;D

GreenArrows
06-21-2007, 06:52 PM
Bibby, what are the injuries suffered by Batricevic and Malabes? Is Barua 100% already?

Batricivic has a sprain while Malabes has a recurring hamstring injury. Barua is NOT yet 100% but he is ready and has been cleared by his doctors to play. Coach Franz, however, is giving him more time to get back into the flow of the team.

wolverine78ph
06-22-2007, 10:45 PM

Batricivic has a sprain while Malabes has a recurring hamstring injury.* Barua is NOT yet 100% but he is ready and has been cleared by his doctors to play.* Coach Franz, however, is giving him more time to get back into the flow of the team.

i saw this kid play last year in the Fil-Oil league and he is a prized find because of his sniping from the perimeter, get well soon Malabes we need you in the coming UAAP wars! ;)

gameface_one
07-02-2007, 09:41 AM
La Salle ‘excited’ over UAAP return

By Jasmine W. Payo
Inquirer
Last updated 06:45am (Mla time) 07/02/2007

MANILA, Philippines -- After serving a one-year suspension, the De La Salle University Green Archers will be back in the 70th UAAP season concerned with the likely distractions during the game.

“There’s going to be a plus factor and a negative factor,” said La Salle coach Franz Pumaren. “One plus factor is we’re excited. We’re very hungry. But the negative factor is we’ve been away from the limelight for one year. It can affect us. It’s a different atmosphere.”

On court, however, there’s no doubt that the Archers remain very confident of their game.

“We’re almost in top shape,” said Pumaren. “We have the rhythm. We joined many tournaments to get back in shape, to get back our competitive spirit.”

Led by Rico Maierhofer and TY Tang, the Archers swept the pre-season tournaments that, naturally, pegged them on the top of the list of teams to beat.

Yet assistant coach Tyrone Bautista countered: “We can’t base it on the pre-season tournaments. Some teams fielded their Team B, some were experimenting their rotation, their defense and offense. The competition in the UAAP is different.”

Everything, though, will still be familiar for the 5-foot-9 Tang, arguably the league’s top point guard this season.

“I will try to bring in leadership,” said Tang. “I stayed for one more year so we can get the championship again.”

Along with Tang, veterans Cholo Villanueva, JV Casio and freshmen Simon Atkins and Fil-Bahraini Bader Malabes will banner the Archers’ backcourt.

The Archers also boast a towering frontline with a pair of rookie imports -- 6-foot-6 Serbian Marko Batricevic and 6-foot-5 Indonesian Ferdinand -- teaming up with Maierhofer, Brian Ilad and PJ Walsham..

Batricevic, however, needs to go through a two-week rehabilitation program after spraining his knee during a pre-season game.

Peejay Barua, Kish Co, OJ Cua, Rejan Lee and James Mangahas complete the La Salle lineup.

“We’re happy to be competing again in the UAAP,” said Pumaren.