PDA

View Full Version : Fil-foreign basketball prospects

pachador
04-03-2007, 02:11 PM
some up and coming fil-am ballers:

Nick Stephens 6'5" and Julius Cumlat 5'10"* both in the Holy Names University - Division II

James Francisco 6'3" @ 200 lbs* Chaminade university - Division II

Anthony Torres 6'2" Bear Creek High School ,stockton California -San Joaquin AA League -- a leader in assists, FGs, rebounds, steals -

JonarSabilano
04-03-2007, 03:21 PM
some up and coming fil-am ballers:

Nick Stephens 6'5" and Julius Cumlat 5'10"* both in the Holy Names University - Division II

James Francisco 6'3" @ 200 lbs* Chaminade university - Division II

Anthony Torres 6'2" Bear Creek High School ,stockton California -San Joaquin AA League -- a leader in assists, FGs, rebounds, steals -

As for Anthony's stats, you may find them here: http://www.maxpreps.com/FanPages/Player.mxp/California/Boys_Varsity_Basketball_Winter_06-07/AreaID-d663c9bc-2efc-42a4-b1f5-f51200644ccc/SchoolID-2d7d93af-5c63-492a-8152-359c46e21e81/AthleteID-d163970a-6ced-4a95-9ace-9cb8c90ed959

There's another Pinoy in the lineup, Shawn Caluya. He's been used only sparingly, though.

Nick Stephens' HNU plays in the NAIA Division II, not the NCAA Division II. In a game against NCAA Division I member Santa Clara (Steve Nash's alma mater), Nick Stephens scored 2 points in 14 minutes. Julius Cumlat scored 4.

5FootCarrot
04-04-2007, 07:29 AM
Confirmed na bang Fil-Am yang mga yan? Maybe you'll need to put Quinito Henson on the case ::) ;D

pachador
04-04-2007, 08:31 AM
confirmado na yan hija. sa san joaquin valley ay libo-libong fil-ams who are descended from filpino migrant farm laborers in the 1930s. These laborers settled in bakerfield, delano, visalia, stockton. Diyan naman sa san diego ay mga descendants ng mga filipinos who served in the US navy.
marami rin filipinos na mexclado ng mga americano even before they moved back to the US because back in the 1930s, hundreds of american soldiers settled in homesteads in mindanao specially in momungan(today called Baroy or baloi). this american soldiers married visayans, and most of their descendants moved back to the states. in my home city of cagayan de oro alone, marami sa kanila nakatira na ngayon sa kalfornia tulad ng mga Paige, Chaloner, Petersen, Larrabaster Willkomm, Andrews, Morgan, etc. marami rin mga mexclado na kastila-visaya na lumipat sa US at australia lalo na yung mga kastila who are not doing well.
meron din mga german jews who fled Hitler nung 1930s and they ended up in manila or cebu. I met a descendant whose german father had a business that was responsible during marcos time for maintaining the philippine marines armored vehicles tulad ng mga LVTH6 self propelled howitzer. by the way - yan si Bachmann-->mukhang German na last name yan. achtung !

sa negros naman ay meron nag-settle diyan na mga english at french who helped set up the haciendas. sa cagayan de oro ay meron ding alam ko na isang french mestizo kaso mga maliliit although tisoy. isa nitong mga french mestizo pala ang lahi ay si "Pogi" 6 foot Cabrera who played for mapua with benito cheng* in the 1980s.
and of course there is the ubiquitous fil-chinese that have produced their share of ballers ,e.g. chiu, co, beng, yeo, etc
one source of talent that remains to be tapped are the thousands of kastila-filipinos who decided to go back to spain after world war 2 due to horrendous conditions in post-war manila right after 1945, although obviously, hindi na yan sila filipino , bka mga 12% or maybe 25% na lang. in barcelona at madrid naman recently , maraming native na katulong naman at yung iba nag-asawa ng kastila so baka mag-kakaroon tayo soon ng mga Fil-espanol ala Gasol de mindanao* ;D
The relentless hybridization of the Filipino racial stock and culture is resulting in a Philippines with mixed-race people and culture, and this trend is accelerating with the influx not only of chinese but also korean, european and american immigrants in the philippines coupled with the mixed marriages abroad giving rise to future generations of filipino supermen players ;D
ayan ha pati kitchen sink sinali ko sa sagot ;D

Confirmed na bang Fil-Am yang mga yan? Maybe you'll need to put Quinito Henson on the case ::) ;D

5FootCarrot
04-04-2007, 11:19 AM
Baka naman ikaw si Quinito Henson! :P Just kidding. ;D

Sam Miguel
04-04-2007, 06:12 PM
Get thee hence to the United States, Mr Black!

pachador
04-05-2007, 02:10 PM
actually, there's soooo many fil-am ballers , i just dont know their first names but i remember their last names because of their wizardry, theres* Santos of west covina, Reyes(Ryan yata first name), Margate, Domingo, etc. one of thisdays when I have time ,i'll track down their first names.
I play ball every weekend .its my stresss reliever from work. the pick-up games here are short -- scoring is by 1 point . first team to reach 13 points will win then winner plays next challenger team. lots of injuries happen. i myself have a lot of injuries, luckily none of them has permanently stopped me from playing but for sure no more acrobatic lay-ups in the air for me. its too dangerous as I get older. :(

pachador
04-05-2007, 02:13 PM
crush mo ba si quinito?* chika *;)

Baka naman ikaw si Quinito Henson! :P Just kidding. ;D

coachav
04-06-2007, 04:15 PM
Hi! do you have any contact with the Fil am players? PBL is now on direct hiring this conference and if they are available it is only a 2 month season it will end in June.... you can text me thru 0919-3362509 thank you

pachador
04-07-2007, 12:47 AM
Hi,

looks like your living in north carolina based on your tel #. as a practical friendly suggestion, if your a basketball scout, its much better if you live in states with big fil-am populations ,e.g. california, new york/new jersey, michigan, florida, texas or hawaii. if possible living in california is the best because it has the biggest pool of fil-am ballers ,then go regularly to the asian or filipino tournaments.* what player positions are you looking for? are you a scout or coach? what team do you represent in the PBL?

quote author=coachav link=topic=1111.msg34613#msg34613 date=1175847335]
Hi!* do you have any contact with the Fil am players?* PBL is now on direct hiring this conference and if they are available it is only a 2 month season it will end in June....* *you can text me thru 0919-3362509 thank you

Ghostrider
04-07-2007, 10:25 AM
^^
I think coachav is from the philippines. His number is a smart/talkntext line, hence the proper format if you're sending a SMS/text from the US is +63919-3362509.

Yun lang po ;)

salsa caballero
04-08-2007, 08:51 PM
Si Ghost o...nag-love your own! ;) Syempre, bida ang Smart :) Anyhow Mr. Ghost, hope your kidney stones are better na...My Rocio naman seems to get better by the day, thank God!

Mr. Pachador, do you also visit the Timawa.net forum? Your handle seems familiar....

Btw, Margate's first name is Sunny...

pachador
04-08-2007, 11:08 PM
si senor. whats your nick over there?
there used to be this poster over there who liked to post funny mangled spanish ... I enjoyed reading those posts. it wasn't you ?....by the way for those who are in the military field or who just like war stuff, go to timawa.net...join their forum.

Mr. Pachador, do you also visit the Timawa.net forum? Your handle seems familiar....

Btw, Margate's first name is Sunny...

yungha
04-09-2007, 02:36 PM
^^ and you also managed to register at hilltopperhaven. how did you pull that off - i thought their membership was by invitation only?

salsa caballero
04-09-2007, 08:11 PM
Mr. Pachador,

Same handle, although I really post very rarely. My interest is more on the AFP modernization aspect. Do you stay in the socal area? The Pinoy ballers you describe sound like they play in or around San Bernardino county. Sa may valley, you may want to check out the starting pointguard of Chatsworth, Mike (?) Palarca. If I'm not mistaken, they also play against the likes of Taft High of Woodland Hills, where Jordan Farmar came from.

Mr. Yungha,

AFAIK I never registered there. Could it be that one of my posts was just quoted over there? Interesting...

pachador
04-09-2007, 10:35 PM
oh, they lock their membership periodically. i dont know why. once they unlock it, you become a member or something like that.

^^ and you also managed to register at hilltopperhaven. how did you pull that off - i thought their membership was by invitation only?

pachador
04-09-2007, 10:37 PM
yes the so cal ako. I'll try.. mahirap kasi i have a fulltime and parttime job pa...my only freetime is weekends...

Mr. Pachador,

Same handle, although I really post very rarely. My interest is more on the AFP modernization aspect. Do you stay in the socal area? The Pinoy ballers you describe sound like they play in or around San Bernardino county. Sa may valley, you may want to check out the starting pointguard of Chatsworth, Mike (?) Palarca. If I'm not mistaken, they also play against the likes of Taft High of Woodland Hills, where Jordan Farmar came from.

Mr. Yungha,

AFAIK I never registered there. Could it be that one of my posts was just quoted over there? Interesting...

gameface_one
04-24-2007, 02:49 PM
Fil-Am mulls playing for RP five
By Joaquin Henson
The Philippine Star 04/24/2007

George Mason University’s 6-5 Fil-Am guard Gabe Norwood said the other day he’s open to the possibility of suiting up for the Philippine team in the 2008 Beijing Olympics but will still consult with agent Jim Moughton of Miami on his basketball future as his ultimate goal is playing in the NBA.

Norwood, 22, was recently invited by coach Chot Reyes to join the national squad at the Joe Abunassar impact training camp in Carson City and fit in nicely as the Philippines downed a US selection, 98-74, at the Home Depot Center. He compiled eight points and six assists.

Norwood played only a game and stayed four days at the camp before flying back to Virginia to complete his requirements for graduation.

"I enjoyed the experience of being with coach Chot and the guys," said Norwood in The STAR interview. "I learned a lot in such a short time. My roommate was Asi (Taulava) who’s a bit undersized for a big man but he works hard, is an inside presence and holds his own against bigger guys off the glass. And he can run, too."

Norwood said from what he saw in Carson City, the Philippines can give Yao Ming and company a good fight in the FIBA-Asia Olympic qualifiers.

"The team has good balance," said Norwood. "The guys are the best in the PBA. They’re competitive. They play at a high level. They work hard and play a fast pace. I like Jimmy’s (Alapag) leadership. I didn’t get to play with Dondon (Hontiveros) who was injured during the game but I know he’s a great player, too. The team lacks a bit of size but it has speed, shooting ability and great athleticism."

Norwood is the oldest of five children. His father Brian was a defensive back for the University of Hawaii varsity and a former Calgary Stampeder in the Canadian Football League. His grandmother Frances Viloria traces her roots to Camiling, Tarlac.

A news report from Hawaii said Norwood’s mother Tiffiney Hardy is a fifth-generation Hawaiian whose ancestors migrated to Maui from the Philippines.

Last year, Norwood visited the Philippines for the first time with the Athletes In Action team that played eight games, seven against college varsities and one against an undermanned national quintet.

"It was like a sentimental homecoming for me because I’d never been home," said Norwood. "The PBA playoffs were going on so the national team we played against wasn’t complete."

Norwood said he’s comfortable playing any of three positions on the floor – point guard, off guard and small forward. "I can play whatever coach Chot wants me to," he continued. "I’ll fill in the spot where I can contribute the most."

Playing in the Olympics would be a milestone in his career. "Of course, my dream is to play in the NBA like everybody else," he said. "But playing in the Olympics would be a big accomplishment. It would rank up there with leading my high school team to the state title and playing for George Mason in the NCAA Final Four."

In 2005-06, George Mason went all the way to the Final Four and lost to eventual NCAA champion Florida. This past season, the Patriots posted an 18-15 record. Norwood’s farewell varsity game was a 10-point, 25-minute off-the-bench effort in a 65-59 loss to Virginia Commonwealth last March. He received the Dean Ehlers leadership award as a senior for integrity and sportsmanship in academics and sports. Norwood was cited by college basketball writer Michael Litos for his hustle and athleticism as a "vital part of coach Jim Larranaga’s scramble defense."

Next month, Norwood will play for Athletes In Action in the Czech Republic. In case he’s not picked in the NBA draft, Norwood said he’ll explore other options like showing up in free agent camps, playing for the Philippine team and applying for the PBA draft in August.

john_paul_manahan
04-24-2007, 04:30 PM
i know there was a suggestion posted in another thread....

he should try to play in europe. then, share the knowledge that is provided there to us. :)

bigfreeze_bibby
04-25-2007, 07:33 AM

he should try to play in europe. then, share the knowledge that is provided there to us. :)

Not a bad idea. Pero sana mapunta siya dun sa mga competitive teams so that mas madami siyang exposure, not just in the domestic league.

JonarSabilano
04-25-2007, 09:05 AM

Not a bad idea. Pero sana mapunta siya dun sa mga competitive teams so that mas madami siyang exposure, not just in the domestic league.

Actually, it would be a good idea to loan PBA players to Euroleague teams for stretches of four months or so, just to get a feel for the international game. The question is, would the PBA teams let their players go there?

Kung hindi puwede sa Europe, kahit man lang sa Australia, OK na. Hindi lang for exhibition games.

Kid Cubao
04-25-2007, 09:12 AM

why settle for europe when he's good enough to crack an NBA team roster?

JonarSabilano
04-25-2007, 09:39 AM

why settle for europe when he's good enough to crack an NBA team roster?

Not to knock Gabe Norwood. I know he's a good player, but you should see his stats. They aren't exactly glowing, and he plays in a mid-major conference at that. If an NBA team drafts him for his upside, that's good. But considering that there are other point guards in the draft now with better credentials, he will be a late pick at best.

bluewing
04-25-2007, 10:23 AM
kung mag-enrol sya ngayon, mag-2-yr residency, pwede syang maglaro nang isa pang taon... kaso baka mayari sa 7-yr rule... sayang! ;D

JonarSabilano
04-25-2007, 10:47 AM
kung mag-enrol sya ngayon, mag-2-yr residency, pwede syang maglaro nang isa pang taon... kaso baka mayari sa 7-yr rule... sayang! ;D

Senior na si Gabe, señor Bluewing. ;D

yungha
04-25-2007, 02:05 PM
pachador,

would you know if 7-foot colorado state center ronnie aguilar is a fil-am? he's from LA and went to a certain John Marshall High school. his parents are named gabriel aguilar and lilian romero - pinoy-sounding names definitely.

he was in the news recently as a teammate at colorado state allegedly pointed a gun at him.

JonarSabilano
04-25-2007, 02:27 PM
pachador,

would you know if 7-foot colorado state center ronnie aguilar is a fil-am? he's from LA and went to a certain John Marshall High school. his parents are named gabriel aguilar and lilian romero - pinoy-sounding names definitely.

he was in the news recently as a teammate at colorado state allegedly pointed a gun at him.

The guy looks Pinoy.

http://csurams.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/aguilar_ronnie00.html

By the way, Apl.de.ap of the Black Eyed Peas also went to John Marshall.

Mateen Cleaves
04-25-2007, 06:08 PM
^He has a brother named Kivin -- with an "I". That sounds Filipino to me! ;)

lekiboy
04-25-2007, 06:45 PM

hindi ba taga CEBU sila? ;D

Jaco D
04-26-2007, 06:07 AM

hindi ba taga CEBU sila?* ;D

Cannot be!* Dapat "b" hindi "v"* ::)

salsa caballero
04-26-2007, 10:53 AM
Hahahaha hindi kaya "outside brother" ni Japhet? Joke lang....... :P

pachador
04-26-2007, 10:36 PM
mga roko-roko kayo* ;D* magagalit si Mr. Servinio sa inyo. actually I'm a hybrid(papa is tagalog from manila and mama is bisaya) hehehe. Ok doki, i'll see what i can find about this giant.* *
By the way, Ronnie's teammate at John Marshall high school is a Fil-Am for sure. his name is Jason Escueta , 6'5" 240 lbs bruiser

hindi ba taga CEBU sila?* ;D

Cannot be!* Dapat "b" hindi "v"* ::)

pachador
04-27-2007, 01:53 AM
Filipino players of French descent:

Marc Pingris,
Fritz Gaston( ? )
Joel Banal ( ?) -----> Banal is a French surname kasi
Oca Cabrera of Mapua Cardinals ,late 80s ---> sure ito, he told me kasi noon.

Filipino players of German descent:

Kurt Bachmann (?)
Sonny Thoss
Ed Feihl

sino pa?

JonarSabilano
04-27-2007, 08:31 AM
Filipino players of French descent:

Marc Pingris,
Fritz Gaston( ? )
Joel Banal ( ?)* *-----> Banal is a French surname kasi
Oca Cabrera of Mapua Cardinals ,late 80s ---> sure ito, he told me kasi noon.

Kurt Bachmann (?)
Sonny Thoss
Ed Feihl

sino pa?

Doesn't "Banal" also mean "sacred" in Tagalog?

pachador
04-27-2007, 08:33 AM
oo naman so either filipino or french ang origin ng last name niya.

Doesn't "Banal" also mean "sacred" in Tagalog?

5FootCarrot
04-27-2007, 08:39 AM
I can't really imagine "Banal" being a French name. Anyone know any Frenchmen with that last name, or the meaning of the word in French? ???

pachador
04-27-2007, 08:56 AM
yes, it is. one of my co-workers in our Paris branch has a last name of Banal and he is French.

I can't really imagine "Banal" being a French name. Anyone know any Frenchmen with that last name, or the meaning of the word in French? ???

5FootCarrot
04-27-2007, 09:05 AM
Really? At hindi Pilipino tatay niya?

Kung hindi, that's cool. I was previously under the impression that "Banal" was just a Tagalog word and a Filipino last name. :)

Sa bagay, tisoy naman sina Coach Joel at Coach Koy. ;D

JonarSabilano
04-27-2007, 09:15 AM

Kung hindi, that's cool. I was previously under the impression that "Banal" was just a Tagalog word and a Filipino last name. :)

There is an English word, "banal", which means "boring".

Pero feeling ko, Pinoy na Pinoy sina Coach Joel at Coach Koy. And considering their strong family ties and faith, bagay nga sa kanila ang last name nila. (May isa pang Banal na tatakbo for councilor sa District 3 ng QC. Dunno if he's a relative of the two, though.)

yungha
04-27-2007, 09:36 AM
pachador, sonny thoss came from australia so he might be of aussie descent.

JonarSabilano
04-27-2007, 09:42 AM
pachador, sonny thoss came from australia so he might be of aussie descent.

Australia has a large European immigrant population, although pinakamarami diyan ang mga Scottish ex-convicts who settled in the early 1800's when it was still a penal colony.

JonarSabilano
04-27-2007, 02:44 PM
Mr. Pachador,

Mr. Yungha,

Michael Palarca has signed a letter of intent to play for South Dakota State this year. SDSU was also one of the schools which were on Japeth's list last year before Western Kentucky came along.

http://www.sdsufans.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1131660049/358

pachador
04-27-2007, 03:05 PM
ok yan. South Dakota is a division I school since 2004 pa yata. magaling talaga yan sii Palarca meron ng garantisadong magaliing na point guard uli ang future philippine team.

Michael Palarca has signed a letter of intent to play for South Dakota State this year. SDSU was also one of the schools which were on Japeth's list last year before Western Kentucky came along.

JonarSabilano
04-27-2007, 03:07 PM
ok yan. South Dakota is a division I school since 2004 pa yata. magaling talaga yan sii Palarca meron ng garantisadong magaliing na point guard uli ang future philippine team.

From what I've read in the SDSU forum, they were in need of a point guard and a post player. SDSU was in a rebuilding mode last year after some of its players were involved in a criminal case the year before, forcing it to get warm bodies from its football team.

At any rate, however, a Division I team is still a Division I team. I hope Michael Palarca makes it good in SDSU, and never forgets that he is still Filipino. :)

pachador
04-29-2007, 11:05 PM
Hope Rob comes back to manila:

Reyes keeps playing

Excels on Filipino court

By Melanie Kirby ,January 31, 2007 , Flagler College Newspaper

Many talented athletes have come through Flagler College and continued playing even after graduation. Robbie Reyes is a standout athlete whose passion for the game of basketball has taken him overseas. Reyes, a four-year veteran of Flagler basketball, graduated in April 2005.
Due to a career changing knee injury in the final weeks of his senior season, Reyes was unable to play in the national tournament.

He always had the dream to continue playing basketball after college but with the injury, he had obstacles to overcome.

Through extensive physical therapy and severe workouts, he gained his strength back. Reyes’ work paid off as when he was recruited by the Philippine Basketball League (PBL), a semi pro league.

“I have to play 25 games in this league before I can go pro because I’m only half Filipino,” Reyes said. The league is played in Manila, and occasionally the games are played out of town.

“I really like the fact that you’re like a superstar when you play here even if it’s just an amateur league,” Reyes said. “Plus it’s cool to play on TV every night.

Not everything about playing in the league is positive.

According to Reyes, the heat is sometimes unbearable and the other players intentionally try to hurt each other. He also complains about the poor calls of the referees.

Reyes’ team, Harbour Centre, is now in the final four of their playoff tournament. According to the PBL, he was named Player of the Week for January 25.

At the time, Reyes was averaging 9.3 points per game and ranking second overall in rebounds at 9.9 rebounds per game. The honor was Reyes’ second.

Reyes eagerly awaits reaching pro status, but is enjoying living in the Philippines with his wife Kristie and his dog Pumpkin.

Formerly known as Kristie Price, Reyes’ wife was a top volleyball player at Flagler.She holds many records in defense, kills, and blocks. The two were married about two months before they moved to the Philippines.

http://gargoyle.flagler.edu/?p=292

pachador
04-30-2007, 05:46 AM
Fil-Am mini - Charles Barkley. Reminds me of the Bisayan strongman Michael Dumdum :

Hawaii Basketball 2007 high school player of the year

At 6 feet tall and weighing 250 pounds, Kaimuki High School in Hawaii senior Keone Reyes may not fit the physical profile of a typical standout basketball forward.

With his relentless power underneath the basket, you wouldn't expect to see him launching (and making) 3-point shots.

And as a sophomore on the Bulldogs' JV team two years ago, Reyes probably would not have been anyone's predicted choice for State Player of the Year some 26 months later.

But Reyes, a gifted athlete full of surprises, proved to be a unanimous selection among voters for the 2007 Advertiser All-State Team and was the overwhelming choice for Player of the Year.

Reyes, a 6-foot, 255-pound senior, brought his leadership and tenacity when the 'Dogs needed them most.

"Keone knew how to rise to the occasion when the game came down to winning and losing," Grant said. "His will to win is second to none. If you look at the flip side of it, he hates to lose. When we lose, he really looks like a poor loser, but he just cannot stand losing."

"He's very physical, but he has really strong skills for his size," Punahou coach Dan Hale said. "He moves so quick. You forget how big he is until he gets inside, and he's basically unstoppable."

http://starbulletin.com/2007/04/08/sports/story04.html

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070410/SPORTS0303/704100344/-1/PREPSPORTS21&template=PrepSports

christian
04-30-2007, 12:53 PM

There is an English word, "banal", which means "boring".

Pero feeling ko, Pinoy na Pinoy sina Coach Joel at Coach Koy. And considering their strong family ties and faith, bagay nga sa kanila ang last name nila. (May isa pang Banal na tatakbo for councilor sa District 3 ng QC. Dunno if he's a relative of the two, though.)

Bolet Banal, kamukhang kamukha ni Joel :) running for councilor inQC's 3rd district.

gameface_one
05-01-2007, 12:01 PM
Parks’ son future Fil-Am star
SPORTING CHANCE By Joaquin M. Henson
The Philippine Star 05/01/2007

Seven-time PBA Best Import awardee Bobby Parks’ Fil-Am son Rey-Rey looks like he’s headed for a stellar basketball career as a chip off the old block.

Rey-Rey, 14, is a Grade 8 student in Memphis where his father and Filipina stepmother Jasmine live. His Filipina mother Shane was Parks’ first wife.

According to former Ateneo varsity star and import recruiter Bobby Rius, Rey-Rey was the youngest kid invited to play at the recent three-day, 17-and-under Las Vegas Easter Classic. Rius, who lives in Las Vegas, watched Parks’ son score 12 points in the first game.

"College scouts were in Vegas to look at prospects,"said Rius. "Bobby’s son was included even if he turned only 14 last February. He’s already close to 6-4. The kid can post up and shoot the three. Two of his co-players, who are in third year high school, were offered to play for Duke, Memphis and Virginia. If he gets an attractive offer from a good school, he might just stay in the US. But Rey-Rey is open to playing for a Manila school."

This month, Parks and his son will visit here. Parks’ buddy and Ateneo coach Norman Black has invited Rey-Rey to practice with the Blue Eagles.

By the way, Rius – who used to work for Levi’s in San Francisco – represents Purefoods’ Marquin Chandler and Red Bull’s James Penny. Another import he brought in this conference was Coca-Cola’s Anthony Johnson.

"Luckily, I’m now semi-retired so I can concentrate on getting quality imports for teams that are loyal to me,"said Rius who has been sending imports to the PBA since the 1980s.

Some of Rius’ most popular imports were Swift’s Tony (Hurricane) Harris, Tanduay’s David Thirdkill, Manila Beer’s Michael Young and Crispa’s Al Green.

Rius said he has the rights to a player whom he guarantees will tear up the PBA. The problem is he’s finishing his contract in Europe where his team is in the playoffs.

"The best of the best is yet to come to Manila this conference,"said Rius. "I thought he would be ready by the third week of April but his team keeps on winning in Europe. Hopefully, he’ll be ready to fly over during the playoffs."

Rius declined to name his star-under-wraps but said the 6-6 forward is averaging 25.6 points, 8.5 rebounds, 1.2 blocks

and 35 minutes. He has hit at least 30 points in six games with a high of 46. His shooting percentages are 52 for two-pointers, 34 for threes and 73 for free throws.

Rius said the player is highly recommended by a scout for an NBA team that’s now in the playoffs. * * *
Sta. Lucia Realty coach Boyet Fernandez said recently the trade that sent Alex Cabagnot, Ricky Calimag and Kenneth Duremdes to Coca-Cola for Denok Miranda and Manny Ramos was initiated by the Tigers.

"We didn’t want to let Alex go but we thought of our salary cap for the next draft where we’re looking at Ken Bono, Doug Kramer, Rob Reyes if he’s available or J. C. Intal,’said the Realtors rookie mentor.

Fernandez said he expects even more from crack rookie Kelly Williams as Sta. Lucia battles for an outright quarterfinals ticket.

"Kelly is playing so well and he still has a lot to show," said Fernandez.

"We’re giving him all the support. You can now see the chemistry in our team. We recently activated Paeng (Santos) and Mark (Magsumbol) because they deserve the chance to play after sacrificing so long in the reserve list. We’re giving everyone a chance to show their worth."

Sta. Lucia returns to action against Air21 tomorrow with new import Jamaal Williams in harness. Williams replaced Rock Winston who was Magsumbol’s teammate with the San Jose Skyrockets in the American Basketball Association last season. * * *
Who are the country’s top bets for an Olympic gold medal in 2008"

The consensus is boxers Joan Tipon and Genebert Basadre and taekwondo jins Tshomlee Go and Toni Rivero are high on the list.

Tipon, a bantamweight, was the only Filipino to strike paydirt in both the 2005 SEA Games and 2006 Asian Games. Basadre, a lightweight, won a SEA Games gold medal and a bronze in Doha.

Go and Rivero bagged golds in the SEA Games and silvers in the Asiad to emerge as Olympic darkhorses.

The four standouts, however, must hurdle qualifying competitions before advancing to the Olympics.

gameface_one
05-04-2007, 11:35 AM
Fil-Am Norwood a long-shot for RP 5

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPORTING CHANCE By JOAQUIN M. HENSON

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

National basketball team coach Chot Reyes said the other day it’s a remote possibility that 6-5 Fil-Am guard Gabe Norwood of George Mason University will suit up for the Philippines at the FIBA-Asia Championships in Tokushima, Japan, on July 28-Aug. 5.

The Philippine Star

National basketball team coach Chot Reyes said the other day it’s a remote possibility that 6-5 Fil-Am guard Gabe Norwood of George Mason University will suit up for the Philippines at the FIBA-Asia Championships in Tokushima, Japan, on July 28-Aug. 5.

Reyes confirmed that Red Bull’s Enrico Villanueva will join the squad for the FIBA-Asia Champions Cup in Tehran on May 13-20 but left the door open for roster changes leading to the Olympic qualifiers.

Norwood, 22, showed up for four days during the national team’s recent two-week training camp in Carson City, California, and was impressive in his brief stay. He collected eight points and six assists in his only game with the Philippine squad, a 98-74 win over a US pro-am selection.

"We finally had a chance to see how Gabe fits in with us and from seeing his game, his work ethic in the weight room and court drills and his instant rapport with his teammates, I think he’s a great fit," said Reyes. Norwood said he’s willing to play for the Philippines but the decision will go through his new agent Jim Moughton of Miami. He will attend NBA free agent tryouts this summer.

A plan to invite former Ateneo cager Japeth Aguilar, now playing for NCAA Division I school Western Kentucky University, to attend the Carson City camp was scuttled.

Reyes said no videos were taken of the Philippines’ games against NCAA schools California State at Fullerton and Long Beach State because of league restrictions. The nationals lost to Fullerton by three and beat Long Beach State by four.

The win over Long Beach State capped the team’s grind in Carson City with a bang.

"Long Beach State is the NCAA Division I Big West Conference champion and qualified for the NCAA tournament this past season," said Reyes. "After being down by 18 and trailing for 38 minutes, we managed to come back. They were bigger, stronger and quicker but our guys just never gave up. In our third practice of the day and our last for the trip, they found a way to win. Astig talaga."

Reyes said recent Manila visitor Alan Richardson of England is arranging a series of at least five games against Serbian Division I clubs in Belgrade in late June before the nationals play in the Qatar Invitationals on July 5-10 and a Manila pocket tournament on July 15-20 leading to the Tokushima joust.

Richardson said playing against rugged European players will toughen the Filipino cagers for the FIBA-Asia Championships.

"Europeans are bigger and stronger than most Asians and play a very physical game," said Richardson. "If the Filipinos can hold their own against the Serbs, it’ll be easy beating teams like Qatar and Lebanon which play the international style. I think the Philippines is competitive against China but I understand coach Chot is wary of the Koreans because they’re bringing in a new team."

The Tehran trip is a welcome bonus for Reyes and his charges. It was made possible by the PBL-Harbour Centre squad that clinched the ticket by winning the SEABA Champions Cup in Jakarta a few weeks ago. Second place wouldn’t have done it. Only the winner of the SEABA qualifier was entitled to represent the zone in the FIBA-Asia Champions Cup in Tehran.

Bagging the SEABA Champions Cup crown wasn’t easy and Harbour Centre rebounded from an early loss to Indonesia to whip the hosts in a grudge rematch for the title. It was an act of supreme sacrifice for Mikee Romero’s Harbour Centre to pave the way for the PBA national team to play in Tehran. That’s what you call teamwork – stakeholders working together and sacrificing for the national interest and the greater good.

Purefoods star James Yap on Thursday sent a letter of explanation to PBA commissioner Noli Eala for his absence in the activities leading to the All-Star Game in Baguio last Sunday.

Yap’s wife Kris Aquino said they worked on the letter the night before.

"I apologize for not having informed the PBA in advance regarding my wife’s health condition," said Yap. "It was our family’s decision to withhold this information from the public because we didn’t want to create panic given my wife’s popularity. We wanted her to have as much privacy as possible to help her recover at the soonest possible time.

"I have always given my 100 percent to my team and the PBA. I’ve always been vocal of the fact that I’m so grateful to be living my childhood dream. It’s public knowledge that my marriage went through a crisis during my wife’s pregnancy and I acknowledge that stress really aggravated her health woes. It was my desire to prove to her and our baby that I am a loving, responsible and loyal husband and father and that they could count on me to be there for them at their weakest and most difficult moments.

"I pray that you will address my situation with compassion."

In the letter, Yap described in detail the health crisis that his wife and baby son faced starting from the emergency Caesarian section delivery last April 19. It was only Thursday last week when doctors confirmed that the worst was over and the next day, Baby James’ neonatologist said he could slowly be weaned from the incubator in the next 48 hours because his blood count had normalized and his lungs were strong enough to function without the oxygen tube in his nose.

Yap left Manila at sunrise for Baguio last Saturday. Along the way, he encountered heavy traffic on the North Luzon Expressway and in Villasis, Pangasinan, where there was a fatal bus and jeepney collision. He arrived in Baguio at 4 p.m. and played in the All-Star Game the next day.

AnthonyServinio
05-06-2007, 03:13 AM
* * *Henkel-Sista of the PBL recently signed up Fil-Am guard Ryan Reyes.* Reyes was the California guy who was featured in an issue of Slam Magazine and later went on to have a brief stint with the Cebuana Lhuillier version of the national team a couple of years ago.* Reyes made his debut yesterday and immediately*made an impact by leading his new team to a win over Magnolia.

pachador
05-06-2007, 07:30 AM
he's got a friend who is about 6'2" or 6'3" that I used to chat with at the gym I go to when I was still living in Cerritos(a city near los angeles), but only plays recreational ball. Last time I talked to his friend about 2 years ago ,he was not sure if Ryan would go play in the philippines due to some 'reason' . I'm glad Ryan made the plunge. He played for Cerritos College as a guard, and after college he continued playing in recreational leagues. He was one of the top scorers in the Asian-american recreational leagues and he is usually in the all-star selections........
......calling Gameface, he is good subject for interview as he is known*as the guy with a collection of 100 pairs of basketball shoes.
By the way, I just wrote an article for Gameface on upcoming Fil-am ballers complete with pictures. Keep an eye on it.

* * *Henkel-Sista of the PBL recently signed up Fil-Am guard Ryan Reyes.* Reyes was the California guy who was featured in an issue of Slam Magazine and later went on to have a brief stint with the Cebuana Lhuillier version of the national team a couple of years ago.* Reyes made his debut yesterday and immediately*made an impact by leading his new team to a win over Magnolia.

joelex
05-07-2007, 02:05 PM

could you post what slam issue he was featured on?
thanks

Kid Cubao
05-07-2007, 08:18 PM
pinsan nina coach koy at joel si councilor bolet, who's running for reelection together with coach franz pumaren. another physical trait the banal men all share: they all stand six feet tall and above.

pachador
05-07-2007, 10:38 PM
this is what Oca Cabrera related to me regarding his french ancestor. he said his french ancestor was a sailor who jumped ship or voluntarily left ship(my memory is a bit hazy on this part) and stayed behind in manila. he then proceeded to scatter his seed. the rest is history. Oca Cabrera for those who do not know was a 6 foot guard for Mapua back in the late 1980s.
There was also a revolutionary general during the Filipino-american war that was of French descent, General Cailles, who later became a Governor of Laguna yata.
There was a french family in cagayan de oro, the 'Fournier" but I last I heard some of them immigrated to canada.
I know theres french settlers in the Bacolod area. There is a town in negros where theres a lot of french mestizos. I forgot the name of the town. next time , my aunt from bacolod visits us , I'll ask her.
BTW, during the british-spanish war, the british invaded manila, when the biritish left, a bunch of their Indian(bombay) soldiers stayed behind and settled in the cainta/pateros area thats why some of our filipino brothers are have that ricardo montalban complexion* ;D* *of course later on, more bombays/arabs settled in the philippines producing tall basketball players for the UAAP/NCAA

bluebruiser90
05-08-2007, 07:16 AM
Didn't know about that story re Oca Cabrera. Interesting though. We come from the same Batangas town as the Cabreras and a lot of our relatives were either close friends or at the very least contemporaries. I actualy met him once in college through Kevin Ramas (we played summer league ball, with Bong Marasigan and Benny Cheng, before he turned pro).

pachador
05-08-2007, 09:27 AM
the racial intermixing of filipinos gets really interesting. for example , my older brother married a filipina-portuguese. her grandfather was a portuguese from hongkong who was an admirer of jose rizal and he decided to move to manila. he eventually married a filipina and sired kids. they are the da silva family.
there are also filipino-lebanese. i heard the Bicharas of Bicol are of lebanese descent and so was the famous Ysmael family( i dont know kung nasa manila pa sila) yung Ysmael meron silang basketball team yata noon sa MICAA. in mindanao, there were a bunch of lebanese and Syrian-bisayans too pero yung iba yata na sa US na. I'll ask my grandma where they are now. meron akong girlfriend noon na lebanese-bisaya. pag siya tumingin nakakatakot parang tutusukin ka sa talim ng titig . alam mo na yung yung mga titig ng mga arabo parang Bin-Laden hehe, anyway ok lang kasi sabi rin niya nakakatakot rin pag-ako tumingin sa kanya parang manyak daw hehe kaya iguales lang kami.

i wonder if the recent korean immigrants in manila are intermarrying with the filpinos? they might produce a filipino Shin Dong Pa* :D** * ........... at doon naman sa Bohol sa may Panglao island at Palawan naman ang daming intermixing ng mga europeans sa mga bisayan girls, kaya di tayo mauubusan ng mga high flying centers at forwards. maraming european retirees sa bohol at palawan.

the point of this discussion is to show that eventually , the philippines will produce a new bunch of flying hybrid basketball players* ;D

pachador
05-09-2007, 02:00 PM
the philippine news papers report him as being 23. that does not seem right because as far as I can remember, he graduated from artesia high school in 2000 pa yata which would place him around 18 years old back in 2000, and around 25 or 26 now* which is still young anyway. Well, i could be wrong.

bchoter
05-09-2007, 09:26 PM
I know I had that Slam issue with Ryan Reyes. Okok Slam = all hype... but these old issues are my only companion when the missus is throwing away my hard earned money in Greenhills

pachador
05-10-2007, 12:29 AM
Shout-out from Parks’ son
SPORTING CHANCE By Joaquin M. Henson
The Philippine Star 05/10/2007

Seven-time PBA Best Import awardee Bobby Parks’ son Ray sent an email from Memphis the other day to say he’s doing fine playing basketball and missing his Filipino relatives.

Ray seems on the way to becoming a Fil-Am superstar. He turned only 14 last Feb. 19 and now stands 6-4, give or take an inch. From the way he’s growing, Ray could shoot up to 6-8 – way taller than his dad who was listed a generous 6-5 in US college basketball record books.

Bobby, 45, was a star at Memphis State and played for the Tigers varsity that went to the NCAA Sweet 16 thrice. He was picked on the third round by the Atlanta Hawks in the 1984 NBA draft where the top five picks, in order, were Hakeem Olajuwon, Sam Bowie, Michael Jordan, Sam Perkins and Charles Barkley.

Bobby was the 58th player of 228 chosen in the draft. Among the players who were selected after him were Rick Carlisle, Bob Thornton, Eddie Wilkins, Butch Hays and Ken Bannister. Wearing his trademark No. 22, Bobby played for the Hawks in the NBA preseason but was cut before the regular campaign started.

Bobby made his PBA debut for San Miguel Beer in 1987 then saw action for Shell up to 1998, finishing his 12-year career with nearly 9,000 points, over 3,000 rebounds and more than 1,000 assists in 220 games. In 1989, he averaged a whopping 52.6 points in 23 games with a high of 72.

Ray’s email was written in both English and Filipino, like a true Fil-Am. Here’s what he said:

"My name is Bobby Ray Parks, Jr. but my close friends call me Ray. I am originally from the Philippines.

"Ako ay tumira sa Pilipinas ng eight to nine years. I speak Tagalog fluently. I am about 6-3 or 6-4 and I play all positions but I prefer to play the shooting guard or small forward (positions).

"Ako ngayon ay tumitira sa Memphis, Tennessee. I’ve been staying here for a year. I average about 25 points a game and around seven rebounds and five assists. I just turned 14 last Feb. 19 and I weigh about 178 pounds.

"There is a lot more competition here in Memphis. I’m a lefty and I can handle, shoot, post up and dunk. Also, I wear a size 14 shoe. I attend Ridgeway Middle School and I’m in the eighth grade going to ninth. I hope to play in the NBA or PBA someday. That’s after I finish college.

"I would want to give a shout-out to my family in the Philippines and my close friends. Ingat kayo, mga kababayan ko, mga taga-Parañaque at Makati."

Ray’s Filipina mother Shane was Bobby’s first wife. Bobby is remarried to another Filipina, Jasmine.

pachador
05-12-2007, 07:20 AM
saan na si Pep Moore ??? fil-am ba siya or from Olongapo? or ? is he ok ?

pachador
05-16-2007, 09:47 AM
Parks’ son dreams of playing for RP 5

By JOAQUIN HENSON
The Philippine Star

Seven-time PBA Best Import awardee Bobby Parks’ Fil-Am son Ray is growing up to be just like his celebrated father and dreams of someday playing for the Philippine national team.

Ray, 14, stands 6' 3", weighs 178 pounds and averages 25 points, seven rebounds and five assists for the Ridgeway Middle School varsity in Memphis. He was the youngest player invited to play in the recent three-day, 17-and-under Las Vegas Easter Classic and stood out in the tournament.

Ray is one of Parks’ four children. The eldest is Quincy, 25, and lives in Bolivar, Tennessee. Parks, 45, had a brief relationship with a black American woman when he played at Memphis State and sired Quincy. Then, Parks had two children, Ray and 11-year-old Celine Ira, with Marifer Celine (Shane) Barbosa, a Filipina now living in Los Angeles.

Today, Parks lives in Memphis with Filipina wife, Jasmine, and Ray. Jasmine’s daughter from a previous relationship stays with them. Parks’ son with Jasmine, Montell, 6, lives in Manila. Jasmine is an activity therapist while Parks owns a transportation business and conducts basketball camps in Memphis.

Ray, whose godfathers are PBA Hall of Famer Norman Black and former Ateneo cager Bobby Rius, said he learned to play when he was five in his father’s hoop school in Manila. Ray lived in Parañaque and studied at the International Christian Academy up to Grade 7 then moved to Memphis last year. He is advancing to Grade 9 at Ridgeway next schoolyear.

After playing in the Amateur Athletic Union this summer, Ray plans to visit Manila with his father. He is being invited to try out for the Ateneo varsity team by Black, the Blue Eagles coach.

“It would be nice to play in the Philippines,” said Ray. “I definitely want to go to college either in the US or the Philippines. I don’t know what to do yet. It would be an honor to someday play for the Philippine team. My dad would love to see me play for the national team.”

Black said he has seen Ray play on tape. “He shoots better than Bobby,” said Black. “I think he’ll be a great player. Of course, I’d like him to play for Ateneo but I leave it up to Ray and Bobby. The level of competition is certainly higher in the US and if Ray is invited to play for a big school, I’ll encourage him to go for it.”

Ray’s hero is his father. He wears No. 22 – like his father did – and said he hopes to win a lot of championships – like his father did – and gain the respect his father did as a winner.

“The two things I learned most from my dad are dribbling and shooting,” said Ray. “My dad’s more athletic and jumps higher than me but I’ve got a better jump shot and handles. Plus, I can play one, two and three. I’m like a mixture of LeBron (James) and Carmelo (Anthony).”

Ray said playing for Memphis State, where his 45-year-old father starred, would be a challenge because the players are bigger in NCAA Division I than even in the PBA.

“My dad thinks I have a very bright future because most of the guys my size and age in the US can’t handle the basketball and shoot as well as I can,” he said. “He was happy with my trip to Vegas where I was the only 14-year-old invited to play with 17-year-olds and I held my own.”

Ray said he watches the NBA hometown team Memphis Grizzlies play as often as he can. “They mostly need a good center and one leader,” said Ray. “By the way, I play for Mike Miller’s traveling team. In the NBA, my idols are Carmelo and Michael Jordan. And in the PBA, my idols are my dad and Jimmy Alapag.”

Ray speaks Tagalog fluently and said he misses his Filipino relatives in Parañaque and Makati. “I would like to give a shout-out to my family in the Philippines and my close friends,” he said. “Ingat kayo, mga kababayan ko!”

AnthonyServinio
05-16-2007, 03:16 PM
saan na si Pep Moore ??? fil-am ba siya or from Olongapo? or ? is he ok ?

* * *Clark Moore is back home in the United States.* Moore's mother is a Filipina.* He was born in the United States and attended Trident Tech in South Carolina.

* * *In 2000, the 6'6" Moore came to the Philippines and tried his luck in the professional MBA but was cut by the Pampanga Dragons.* He instead hooked up with San Sebastian and the rest is history.

* * * Is he ok?* Since this thread is about up and coming Fil-Ams, I don't think Moore fits the bill. It's unlikely he will return to stage a comeback.

pachador
05-18-2007, 03:48 AM
i already contacted 3 people at Aguilar's school about this but no one would answer. unfortunately this happened arround the time of the argument he had with this teammate xavier so maybe the officials there are just paranoid.
i also contacted the manager of his teamate in high school, and the manager said that he "heard he is fil-am" , and that he would ask around to verify but never got back to me.
in summary, i believe if ever he is fil-am his manager or basketball scouts are being secretive about him for the obvious reason that he is 7 foot and is a big catch.
one intriguing detail is that he has a brother whose name is spelled "kivin" which is like a bisaya pronunciation. ;D
but dont hold your hopes high yet. he could be mexican or puerto rican.

pachador,

jaybanes42
05-18-2007, 12:25 PM
i thnk he's a fil-am!

JonarSabilano
05-18-2007, 12:36 PM
i thnk he's a fil-am!

Sana nga. But how'd you say he is one?

BigBlue
05-18-2007, 01:10 PM
It's a common practice among many african-american families to give their kids unique names, names like Roshanda, Lakeisha, or in some ways changing how a common name is spelled, just look at Dwyane Wade. It's a pretty big jump to conclude that Kivin is bisaya.

pachador
05-18-2007, 02:48 PM
i tried contacting another colorado state official today but no response. i sure hope they are not gonna start thinking that im stalking him :D

augustine
05-20-2007, 10:54 AM
Here's a question. Noli Eala was quoted today as saying the National Team could use another big man. I wonder... Could the team make use of Japeth Aguilar?

Kid Cubao
05-20-2007, 11:03 AM
augustine, i think noli eala is referring to another aguilar--not japeth, but somebody named ronnie. this aguilar stands as tall as EJ feihl at 7'1. kinokontak na ata ni eala ito.

augustine
05-20-2007, 12:06 PM
background please?

true.blue
05-20-2007, 02:09 PM
Pinoy ba 'to?* http://csurams.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/aguilar_ronnie00.html

Kid Cubao
05-20-2007, 03:26 PM
true.blue, it's a case of the "if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck..." analogy popularized by right-wingers. let's see: dad's name is gabriel aguilar, mom's is lilian angeles, has two brothers named kivin [sic] and jason, and a sister named jasmine. draw your conclusions ;D

jaybanes42
05-20-2007, 10:20 PM
my future rp 5

centerronnie aguilar 7-0 if he's a legit fil-am and f not(gian chiu 6-10)big man
pf-c japeth aguilar 6-10 versatile
pf jr reyes 6-8 versatile and pemter
pf enrico villanueva 6-6defense
sf/pf kelly williams 6-6 complete player
sf/pf ranidel de ocampo-defense and can shoot the 3
sf/sg arwind santos 6-4 role player
sf nino canaleta showtime
pg/sg gabe norwood 6-5 can play then point and sg
sg mark caguiao 6-0 offense
sg ren2x ritualo 6-0 3 point shooting
pg jason castro or ryan reyes
how about this?

Howard the Duck
05-20-2007, 11:34 PM
norwood may have pinoy blood but is he a pinoy?

pachador
05-24-2007, 12:13 AM
new 6'10" filipino-new zealander player spotted by Julius Nwosu. read below:

SBP appoints Gregorio exec director
By Joaquin Henson and Nelson Beltran
Thursday, May 24, 2007
Page: 1
The SBP (Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas) board of trustees convenes at the PLDT building in Makati tonight to reportedly appoint Patrick Gregorio as the executive director of the cage body.

The SBP board of trustees meets at 6 p.m. at the PLDT office in Makati where Gregorio’s appointment by SBP president Manny V. Pangilinan is expected to be formalized.

Pangilinan, Gregorio and PBA commissioner Noli Eala will later fly to Thailand tomorrow to give the RP team morale support in its SEABA joust campaign.

Gregorio was chosen by Pangilinan from three officials who made it to the short list of candidates drawn by the nominations committee chaired by Ely Capacio.

NAASCU president Dr. Jay Adalem was the other highly recommended for the job.

Ateneo officials Junjun Capistrano and Ricky Palou declined their nominations even before the committee completed the list.

If appointed, Gregorio, 39, said a key element in his program of activities is youth development and hosting the Asian Junior Championships next year will be an immediate goal.

Eala and Gregorio left last Friday to join the San Miguel Beer-Philippine team playing at the FIBA-Asia Champions Cup in Tehran and returned home Monday night.

“I went as an observer,” said Gregorio, a Ten Outstanding Young Men awardee for tourism in 2003. “It was a unique and eye-opening experience. I saw the importance of building a good relationship with FIBA. I also saw that against a taller team that’s quicker and shoots better than us, we’ll be in trouble because our strengths are supposed to be quickness and shooting ability.”

Gregorio, former chief marketing officer of Microtels Inns and Suites and consultant of Manila North Tollways Corp, took the opportunity to introduce himself to FIBA-Asia secretary-general Dato Yeoh Choo Hock of Malaysia during the tournament.

“Dato Yeoh was very encouraging,” said Gregorio. “He supports bringing up young leaders in basketball. He likes the idea of Manila hosting the Asian Junior Championships next year and offered to allocate a $50,000 subsidy. The host is expected to provide hotel accommodations, inland transportation and food so the FIBA subsidy will help although it won’t be nearly enough.”

Gregorio said with news of 14-year-old Fil-Am Ray Parks’ emergence, his plan is to assemble a core of teenagers in the formative age group for a developmental national pool.

“We’re looking at our young talent here and abroad,” said Gregorio. “We’ve got a lot of potential at home. And we know there are more Fil-foreigners out there. For instance, we were informed by Julius (Nwosu) that there’s a good 6-10 player who’s half-Filipino and half-New Zealander. Somebody else told us that a Filipina, Jessica Roque, is averaging 20 points for Cleveland State, an NCAA Division I school.”

Nwosu played as an import for the Philippines at the SEABA Champions Cup in Jakarta last month but suited up for Syria in Tehran.

Gregorio said aside from Dato Yeoh, he also conferred with Col. Kak Kuan Lee who is a member of the FIBA-Asia Technical Committee.

In the semifinals last Saturday, referees Petri Mantyla of Finland and Mohammed Al-Amiri of Kuwait awarded 41 free throws to Syria and only 15 to the Philippines.

“We’ve checked the FIBA guidebook and found that there are no sanctions for erring referees,” said Gregorio. “That’s not right.”

With the game out of reach, Eala was even slapped a technical foul by Mantyla.

“We were sitting on the bench and the Commissioner pleaded for the referees to call a foul on Syria,” said Gregorio. “By that time, Syria was already ahead by over 20. The Commissioner later explained to Mantyla he meant no disrespect. Mantyla thought he was insulted but the Commissioner did no such thing. I think the Commissioner gained Mantyla’s respect for apologizing.

They exchanged calling cards and the Commissioner told him about Alan Richardson’s recent visit to Manila to work with PBA referees.”

Gregorio said Eala’s gesture was an example of generating goodwill in international competitions.

“Mantyla told us the Philippine team plays well but sometimes loses focus, maybe because of lack of experience in international play,” said Gregorio. “I learned in tourism, that public relations is vital. It’s the same in international basketball.”

pachador
05-24-2007, 05:35 AM
Ok guys some bad news. I finally got a reply from a Colorado State University Athletic Department. Ronnie aguilar is not Filipino or part-filipino. Unless, someone else can come up with something to the contrary. The issue is closed. i know it sucks but thats what i just found out today :(

The only other fil-foreigner who is a big man on the horizon is that 6'10" half-filipino half- new zealander that was mentioned in Philstar. we need to get him before new zealand gets him to play because once he has played for new zealand, i think the fiba rules say that he cannot play anymore for another country.

pachador
05-28-2007, 09:37 AM
According to a poster in interbasket, its been confirmed that the 6'10" Fil-New Zealander player is Joe Hooks. anyone has info about him? the poster said he read it in Phil Star but I could not find anything

JonarSabilano
05-28-2007, 09:40 AM
According to a poster in interbasket, its been confirmed that the 6'10" Fil-New Zealander player is Joe Hooks. anyone has info about him? the poster said he read it in Phil Star but I could not find anything

Ako yata 'yung nagpost. Actually, it's in the print edition, a sidebar to the story about the RP team clobbering the Malaysians. ;D

pachador
05-28-2007, 09:58 AM
details naman Jonar please !!! thanks

Ako yata 'yung nagpost. Actually, it's in the print edition, a sidebar to the story about the RP team clobbering the Malaysians.* ;D

JonarSabilano
05-28-2007, 11:28 AM
details naman Jonar please !!! thanks

Ako yata 'yung nagpost. Actually, it's in the print edition, a sidebar to the story about the RP team clobbering the Malaysians.* ;D

I don't have a copy now (naiwan ko sa bahay), pero 'yun nga, confirmed na raw by "some team officials" ang Pinoy lineage ng bata. Don't remember if it was Coach Chot or Commisioner Eala who said it. They're trying to track him down.

shyboy
05-28-2007, 11:55 AM
I think this is the Philstar article you're referring to.

SBP appoints Gregorio exec director
By Joaquin Henson and Nelson Beltran
Thursday, May 24, 2007

The SBP (Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas) board of trustees convenes at the PLDT building in Makati tonight to reportedly appoint Patrick Gregorio as the executive director of the cage body.

The SBP board of trustees meets at 6 p.m. at the PLDT office in Makati where Gregorio’s appointment by SBP president Manny V. Pangilinan is expected to be formalized.

Pangilinan, Gregorio and PBA commissioner Noli Eala will later fly to Thailand tomorrow to give the RP team morale support in its SEABA joust campaign.

Gregorio was chosen by Pangilinan from three officials who made it to the short list of candidates drawn by the nominations committee chaired by Ely Capacio.

NAASCU president Dr. Jay Adalem was the other highly recommended for the job.

Ateneo officials Junjun Capistrano and Ricky Palou declined their nominations even before the committee completed the list.

If appointed, Gregorio, 39, said a key element in his program of activities is youth development and hosting the Asian Junior Championships next year will be an immediate goal.

Eala and Gregorio left last Friday to join the San Miguel Beer-Philippine team playing at the FIBA-Asia Champions Cup in Tehran and returned home Monday night.

“I went as an observer,” said Gregorio, a Ten Outstanding Young Men awardee for tourism in 2003. “It was a unique and eye-opening experience. I saw the importance of building a good relationship with FIBA. I also saw that against a taller team that’s quicker and shoots better than us, we’ll be in trouble because our strengths are supposed to be quickness and shooting ability.”

Gregorio, former chief marketing officer of Microtels Inns and Suites and consultant of Manila North Tollways Corp, took the opportunity to introduce himself to FIBA-Asia secretary-general Dato Yeoh Choo Hock of Malaysia during the tournament.

“Dato Yeoh was very encouraging,” said Gregorio. “He supports bringing up young leaders in basketball. He likes the idea of Manila hosting the Asian Junior Championships next year and offered to allocate a $50,000 subsidy. The host is expected to provide hotel accommodations, inland transportation and food so the FIBA subsidy will help although it won’t be nearly enough.”

Gregorio said with news of 14-year-old Fil-Am Ray Parks’ emergence, his plan is to assemble a core of teenagers in the formative age group for a developmental national pool.

“We’re looking at our young talent here and abroad,” said Gregorio. “We’ve got a lot of potential at home. And we know there are more Fil-foreigners out there. For instance, we were informed by Julius (Nwosu) that there’s a good 6-10 player who’s half-Filipino and half-New Zealander. Somebody else told us that a Filipina, Jessica Roque, is averaging 20 points for Cleveland State, an NCAA Division I school.”

Nwosu played as an import for the Philippines at the SEABA Champions Cup in Jakarta last month but suited up for Syria in Tehran.

Gregorio said aside from Dato Yeoh, he also conferred with Col. Kak Kuan Lee who is a member of the FIBA-Asia Technical Committee.

In the semifinals last Saturday, referees Petri Mantyla of Finland and Mohammed Al-Amiri of Kuwait awarded 41 free throws to Syria and only 15 to the Philippines.

“We’ve checked the FIBA guidebook and found that there are no sanctions for erring referees,” said Gregorio. “That’s not right.”

With the game out of reach, Eala was even slapped a technical foul by Mantyla.

“We were sitting on the bench and the Commissioner pleaded for the referees to call a foul on Syria,” said Gregorio. “By that time, Syria was already ahead by over 20. The Commissioner later explained to Mantyla he meant no disrespect. Mantyla thought he was insulted but the Commissioner did no such thing. I think the Commissioner gained Mantyla’s respect for apologizing.

They exchanged calling cards and the Commissioner told him about Alan Richardson’s recent visit to Manila to work with PBA referees.”

Gregorio said Eala’s gesture was an example of generating goodwill in international competitions.

“Mantyla told us the Philippine team plays well but sometimes loses focus, maybe because of lack of experience in international play,” said Gregorio. “I learned in tourism, that public relations is vital. It’s the same in international basketball.”

JonarSabilano
05-28-2007, 12:00 PM
Thanks for sharing the article, shyboy. But I'm referring to another article that appeared in today's STAR. The sidebar wasn't available on the internet edition, though. :-\

swaggerbox
05-29-2007, 10:19 AM
Joe Hooks is not 6-10, maybe closer to 6-7. He is listed at 6-9 (probably with shoes on), he played his senior year at Northwest Oklahoma State (after 4 years with three different schools), averaging 18.1ppg and 9.0 rpg and 1.3bpg. He was selected by the Connecticut Pride in 5th round (#58 pick overall) of 1995 CBA Draft. He suited up for Pop Cola as an import in 1999. Yes, he is the same Joe Hooks who lost his college ring inside an EDSA Plaza Hotel men's CR (the ring was returned to him by a certain Erwin Bonifacio who had migrated to New Zealand). He confided to then Pop Cola team manager that he knows and loves Filipino dishes because his mom is Filipina. He played as an import also for some Asian teams like Malaysia and Japan, and also for Australia. He is bulky and strong, built like a tank but I don't think he thrives in the transition. He may have weight conditioning issues. He graduated from college after the 1994-95 season (as 5th-year senior), which makes him around 35 years old.

pachador
05-29-2007, 12:12 PM
i still hope the joe hooks guy they r looking for is younger and different person from this 35 yrd old joe hooks.............who is the oldest, joe hooks , pennisi or taulava ?* * i also wonder how fit this Joe hooks guy considering he is 35 yrs old* ;D

yungha
05-29-2007, 01:53 PM
looking long into the future, if any of former NBA player doug west's kids play basketball, they'll be eligible to play for the philippines. doug's wife is a pure-blooded pinas-born pinay.

doug west is a 6'6 former point guard of then-expansion teams minnesota timeberwolves and vancouver grizzlies.

pachador
05-29-2007, 10:30 PM
maybe, gameface should have a database of american players specially the ones in the NBA married to filipinas and track their kids progress ;)* i also heard that karl malone is married* to a filipinas. true? then there's norman black and Bobby Parks, who else?

looking long into the future, if any of former NBA player doug west's kids play basketball, they'll be eligible to play for the philippines. doug's wife is a pure-blooded pinas-born pinay.

doug west is a 6'6 former point guard of then-expansion teams minnesota timeberwolves and vancouver grizzlies.

AnthonyServinio
05-30-2007, 02:54 AM
Joe Hooks is not 6-10, maybe closer to 6-7. He is listed at 6-9 (probably with shoes on), he played his senior year at Northwest Oklahoma State (after 4 years with three different schools), averaging 18.1ppg and 9.0 rpg and 1.3bpg. He was selected by the Connecticut Pride in 5th round (#58 pick overall) of 1995 CBA Draft. He suited up for Pop Cola as an import in 1999. Yes, he is the same Joe Hooks who lost his college ring inside an EDSA Plaza Hotel men's CR (the ring was returned to him by a certain Erwin Bonifacio who had migrated to New Zealand). He confided to then Pop Cola team manager that he knows and loves Filipino dishes because his mom is Filipina. He played as an import also for some Asian teams like Malaysia and Japan, and also for Australia. He is bulky and strong, built like a tank but I don't think he thrives in the transition. He may have weight conditioning issues. He graduated from college after the 1994-95 season (as 5th-year senior), which makes him around 35 years old.

* * *LET'S PUT it simply -- if Joe Hooks was actually Filipino as per his verbal claim, then why did not he fly back ASAP once his injury was healed?* He could have stayed here for a while during the healing process and probably seek out his Pinoy roots which he never really explained in detail.

* * *Take note at that time, the PBA was scrambling to get Fil-Ams after they allowed the teams to direct-hire one each.* The mad scramble unearthed several fakes that blew up on the PBA's face -- Sonny Alvarado, Al Segova and Rob Parker.* Before Segova, Purefoods inquired about the availability of a certain Eduardo Najera (in reality a pure Mexican), then a college senior who would later have a solid NBA career.* Ginebra was set to field a certain Poncho Guirias, but the guy was really something like a Colombian or some other South American nationality.

* * *Hooks probably got note of the crackdown so he probably decided to stay away.

pachador
05-30-2007, 04:40 AM
so the joe hooks name could just be a pseudonym for someone else( i hope) who is much younger. for one thing, the clue is fill-newzealander. i assume this 35 year old joe hooks is not half-kiwi?
maybe team officials are keeping the guy's identity secret until all the paperwork has been ironed-out( again, i hope)
;D

swaggerbox
05-30-2007, 06:58 AM
that's what I think Pachador. It could not be Joe Hooks. I think it is somebody else.

anthony: maybe you are right. i just find it odd that several teams, including Pop Cola did not pursue Joe Hooks if they knew he was a legit fil-am. maybe he's a fake or maybe he just doesn't want to play here at all.

shyboy
05-30-2007, 08:47 AM
maybe, gameface should have a database of american players specially the ones in the NBA married to filipinas and track their kids progress ;)* i also heard that karl malone is married* to a filipinas. true? then there's norman black and Bobby Parks, who else?

How about Tony Harris and Ilonah Jean? ;D joke

Did Sean Chambers get to marry any Filipina?

pachador
05-30-2007, 09:24 AM
i feel kind of sad at the same time i find it humurous that we a nation of shorty people are scouring the whole wide world from the islands to the mountains to overseas to the mixed-marriages for tall good players* . Almighty God, where art thou? why did you play a prank on us short filipinos to develop a fanatical love for basketball ? Please help us. :D
seriously, we might as well make a database of these players and track their progress including how many kids they have sired and how old the kids are and so forth i mean this is serious stuff for the 91 million filipino basketball fanatics* :)

salsa caballero
05-30-2007, 01:58 PM
Around 10 or so years ago, the PBL had an import by the name of Derek Brower. Derek came from a division 1 school, Syracuse?, and was an actual Fil-Am. (Full-blooded Pinay mom.) He stood at a bulky 6-9. If memory serves, he did not have a stellar college career and wasn't much of a scorer. However, he took up a lot of space and also played as an import in the Belgian league...He should be in his late 30's by now, so baka pwede pa, kahit 5-10 minutes a game lang.

true.blue
05-30-2007, 02:37 PM
i feel kind of sad at the same time i find it humurous that we a nation of shorty people are scouring the whole wide world from the islands to the mountains to overseas to the mixed-marriages for tall good players* . Almighty God, where art thou? why did you play a prank on us short filipinos to develop a fanatical love for basketball ? Please help us.* :D
seriously, we might as well make a database of these players and track their progress including how many kids they have sired and how old the kids are and so forth i mean this is serious stuff for the 91 million filipino basketball fanatics* :)

You're sounding like Professor Suresh of Heroes! :D

JonarSabilano
05-30-2007, 02:52 PM
Around 10 or so years ago, the PBL had an import by the name of Derek Brower. Derek came from a division 1 school, Syracuse?, and was an actual Fil-Am. (Full-blooded Pinay mom.) He stood at a bulky 6-9. If memory serves, he did not have a stellar college career and wasn't much of a scorer. However, he took up a lot of space and also played as an import in the Belgian league...He should be in his late 30's by now, so baka pwede pa, kahit 5-10 minutes a game lang.

This should help:

http://www.orangehoops.org/DBrower.htm

Brower would be in his late 30's na nga. Maybe 40. Maybe we can get him to marry a Pinay and... ;D

pachador
06-01-2007, 01:07 AM
ayan... patuloy ang dagsaan ng mga fil-foreign players. Filipinos will increasingly have more and more racial mixtures in the years to come...the mestisohation of the Philippines* :D Based on this , we will eventually get loaded at the center position and I'm optimistic we will eventually crash again into the top 6 of the world basketball* championships within 20 years or earlier.* ;)

More Filipinos marrying foreigners

By Veronica Uy
INQUIRER.net
05/31/2007

PASAY CITY, Philippines -- Over the last three years, more Filipinos have married foreigners, data obtained by INQUIRER.net from the Commission on Filipinos Overseas shows.

Last year, 24,904 Filipinos married foreigners, up 18 percent from the previous year’s 21,100. The 2005 figure is an 11.4 percent increase from the 2004 figure of 18,933.

Minda Valencia, director of CFO’s Migrant Integration and Education Office, attributed the steady increase in inter-marriages to globalization and technology.

“With more Filipinos leaving for abroad, they get more opportunities to meet foreigners. Some meet through relatives who introduce them through letters and make them into pen pals,” she said.

“We’ve also had more cases who meet over the Internet,” she added.

Citing CFO records, Valencia said most of the Filipinos marrying foreigners are female. From 1989 to 2006, Filipinas accounted for some 89.2 percent of these unions.

The same set of data shows that Americans comprise the biggest foreign spouses of Filipinos at 126,638 or 40.24 percent of the 309,745 foreigners who have married Filipinos from 1989 to 2006.
This is followed by Japanese at 94,792 or 30.60 percent. Australians are a far third at 25,073 or 8.09 percent.

The rest of the nationality groupings are: Canadians at 12,401 or four percent; Germans at 11,307 or 3.65 percent; Taiwanese at 6,950 or 2.24 percent; British at 5,780 or 1.87 percent; South Koreans at 4,582 or 1.48 percent; and New Zealanders at 2,233 or 0.7 percent.

Valencia said the figures include former Filipinos who* married their childhood sweethearts.

“Many of these are from the United States and Australia,” she said.

Valencia said the figures are taken from those who are applying for fiancé and spouse passports.

Citing the Passport Act and Department of Foreign Affairs’ Department Orders 28-94 and 11-97, she said all these applicants are required to go through counseling which the CFO oversees.

Valencia said the figures do not include all Filipinos who marry foreigners outside the Philippines and who apply for fiancé or spouse passports in the Philippine embassies outside the country.

She said that while the Philippine embassies are required to monitor the number of inter-marriages by Filipinos in their jurisdiction, some of them have not submitted the data to the CFO.

AnthonyServinio
06-01-2007, 01:22 PM
^
* * *THAT IS a sad sign of the times.* As life gets more miserable for some Filipinos, they will resort to desperate measures including selling their daughters to foreigners as mail-order brides!* Marrying a foreigner will be the woman and her family's ticket out of poverty!

* * *Poor foreigner, he does not know his new Filipina bride is only after his dollars and his citizenship.

* * *Reminds me of a joke on "Frasier".* One of the character's wife had an expensive cosmetic surgery.* The other character remarked, "For half that amount you could get a brand new wife from the Philippines!"* It just goes to show how low they think of our women.

pachador
06-01-2007, 02:03 PM
well, i now take a more optimistic or is it practical view of this. basically marrying a foreigner to me is just like marrying a filipino that has money. in both cases, the woman is seeking material stability which biologically speaking is a basic need of women so she can start her nest egg. Men on the other hand, whether filipinos or foreigners have a biological need to seek out the healthiest err prettiest or sexiest women as fertile partners to sire their kids. the man with the most money whether filipino or foreigner gets to pick the best or is it willing? woman. the above illustrations are being simplistic as i am sure there are a lot of exceptions to the rule. All this is also discussed in several bestselling books about sex, biology and the selection of our partners such as "sex and the brain" , etc On the other hand i do emphathize with what Anthony is saying because i still get a knee-jerk resentment up to now when i see a foreigner with a filipina, but i have grown or become accustomed for the most part to understand the issues and factors surrounding mixed-marriages.
reminds me of my cousin who got married to a supposedly sophisticated kano(graduate in A.B. history from berkeley) . anyway after they have been married, it started falling apart because he was such a control freak, and did not want her to work or go out !. i told him once that you shoulld have married an uneducated filipina from the remote village in the philippines and not my cousin because as much as she is a filipina in looks, she is already a white girl inside because she grew up in california. this urban kano was under the illusion that all filipinas have the stereotype of being a submissive asian woman ::)

^
* * *THAT IS a sad sign of the times.* As life gets more miserable for some Filipinos, they will resort to desperate measures including selling their daughters to foreigners as mail-order brides!* Marrying a foreigner will be the woman and her family's ticket out of poverty!

* * *Poor foreigner, he does not know his new Filipina bride is only after his dollars and his citizenship.

* * *Reminds me of a joke on "Frasier".* One of the character's wife had an expensive cosmetic surgery.* The other character remarked, "For half that amount you could get a brand new wife from the Philippines!"* It just goes to show how low they think of our women.

jaybanes42
06-01-2007, 10:20 PM
we need a 7 ft. fil-for center!but that's a very big question f ther's a 7 ft. fil-foreigner... :-\

AnthonyServinio
06-01-2007, 11:02 PM
we need a 7 ft. fil-for center!but that's a very big question f ther's a 7 ft. fil-foreigner... :-\

* * *HE IS not a seven-footer, so will you settle for someone in the area of 6'9" to 6'11"?* I bumped into the player a few hours ago and his height is legit since I stood beside him.

* * *Allow me to be the first to announce to everyone that the University of Cebu has just recruited the said Fil-Am lad all the way from Virginia, USA.* He will hopefully suit up for the Webmasters in the coming CeSAFI season this July.* This player has bulk, albeit most of it is fat as of the moment but there's nothing a good conditioning can fix.* The Webmasters can now have a formidable frontline as he teams with incoming 6'9" sophomore Junmar Fajardo.

* * *I'll keep the rest of the details under wraps, mahirap na at baka masulot ng Manila schools.* By the way, his surname sounds like "Slaughter"!

pachador
06-02-2007, 07:14 AM
anthony,

are the parents of this new fil-am 6'11" 'slaughter' giant from the visaya too?* how about 6'9" junmar fajardo, what visayan island is he from?* ngilngig na da thanks for the news. you are indeed a harbringer of good news

jaybanes42
06-02-2007, 10:56 AM
junmar is not 6-9 but 6-7 and he's only 16 0r 17 yrs. old.when i saw dis dude in our campus,he was too skinny and he's still a raw talent!if we can find a 6-10 and above center and has the offensve skill of alvin patrimonio and the supal-pal ability of benjie paras...we can make it to beijing!but that's a very big question again!?we hav don2x and ren2x for 3 pt. shooting and mark caguiao and danny s. for scoring.alapag & helterbrand as our pg with gabe N. but we dont have a tall center like china,syria and other teams... >:(

pachador
06-02-2007, 12:23 PM
saang campus mo siya nakita?

junmar is not 6-9 but 6-7 and he's only 16 0r 17 yrs. old.when i saw dis dude in our campus,he was too* skinny and he's still a raw talent!if we can find a 6-10 and above center and has the offensve skill of alvin patrimonio and the supal-pal ability of benjie paras...we can make it to beijing!but that's a very big question again!?we hav don2x and* ren2x for 3 pt. shooting and mark caguiao and danny s. for scoring.alapag & helterbrand as our pg with gabe N. but we dont have a tall center like china,syria and other teams... >:(

AnthonyServinio
06-03-2007, 01:33 PM
anthony,

are the parents of this new fil-am 6'11" 'slaughter' giant from the visaya too?
* * *Perhaps the mother only, mukhang may halo yung bata.

how about 6'9" junmar fajardo, what visayan island is he from?* ngilngig na da thanks for the news. you are indeed a harbringer of good news

* * *Junmar Fajardo is from Pinamungajan town on the Western side of the island.

AnthonyServinio
06-03-2007, 01:36 PM
junmar is not 6-9 but 6-7 and he's only 16 0r 17 yrs. old.when i saw dis dude in our campus,he was too* skinny and he's still a raw talent!
* * *I don't think so.* Rino Berame of UV is listed at either 6'7" or 6'8" depending on who's writing the story and Junmar Fajardo stands at least an inch or two taller than Berame when they stand side by side.

swaggerbox
06-04-2007, 12:08 AM
Berame is 6'7" and will be the next big thing in the Visayas after Eman and Quinahan turn pro this year. Fajardo is a legit 6'9" but still incredibly raw and lacks strength, but he is a nice looking prospect. He could grow up to 6-10 or 6-11. I should know because I'm seeing them a lot when I watch CESAFI.

Anthony:

What is the name of this incoming Fil-Am player from UC? Does he have game?

jaybanes42
06-04-2007, 09:03 PM
junmar is not 6-9 but 6-7 and he's only 16 0r 17 yrs. old.when i saw dis dude in our campus,he was too* skinny and he's still a raw talent!
* * *I don't think so.* Rino Berame of UV is listed at either 6'7" or 6'8" depending on who's writing the story and Junmar Fajardo stands at least an inch or two taller than Berame when they stand side by side.

baka tumangkad na pa cya!is berame a legit 6-7?

jaybanes42
06-04-2007, 09:29 PM
saang campus mo siya nakita?

sa univ. of cebu,,last year pa yon..baka tumangkad na cya at tatangkad pa!

Bennie Bangag
06-06-2007, 07:14 PM
let's limit our discussions on fil-foreign prospects as the thread title indicates. now if you wish to continue your spirited exchange about berame, junmar fajardo, and other tall HOMEGROWN prospects, kindly do it in other threads, namely the pinoy giants discussion. thank you.

jaybanes42
06-08-2007, 09:54 PM
let's limit our discussions on fil-foreign prospects as the thread title indicates. now if you wish to continue your spirited exchange about berame, junmar fajardo, and other tall HOMEGROWN prospects, kindly do it in other threads, namely the pinoy giants discussion. thank you.

any info about jermaine philips?

JonarSabilano
06-13-2007, 10:09 AM
Ok guys some bad news. I finally got a reply from a Colorado State University Athletic Department. Ronnie aguilar is not Filipino or part-filipino.* Unless, someone else can come up with something to the contrary. The issue is closed. i know it sucks but thats what i just found out today* * *:(

The only other fil-foreigner who is a big man on the horizon is that 6'10" half-filipino half- new zealander that was mentioned in Philstar. we need to get him before new zealand gets him to play because once he has played for new zealand, i think the fiba rules say that* he cannot play anymore for another country.

Looks like Noli Eala has knows something about Ronnie Aguilar that we don't know yet. I caught the news on Teledyaryo last night. He mentioned Ronnie as a potential recruit, along with Gian Chiu and Ray Parks.

Kid Cubao
06-13-2007, 11:27 AM
tama ka dyan jonar. let's not give up too easily on ronnie aguilar. for all we know, the athletic department of colorado state issued that denial if only to get our basketball scouts off their backs, and to me that is what happened.

pachador
06-13-2007, 01:49 PM
i hope so too. the interesting thing when i enquired from the colorado state athletic dept is that i called 6 different officials 2 times each ! and it took so long for them to respond when all i wanted was a yes or no. this was the first time by the way i had this experience. previously, when i made calls to other schools i got a response right away with pics pa. also , I emailed ex-pba commentator janelle so who is now los angeles based and asked her if she can find out about ronnie aguilar. she might have found something i was not privy to. :o
here is another interesting 7 foot prospect, this time a 7 footer with Villanova, Chris Charles. Look at this asian eyes. he could be mixed korean or chinese or tadaaa ! mixed filipino:
http://villanova.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/charles_chris00.html

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/nova/sports/m-baskbl/auto_headshot/292785.jpeg

tama ka dyan jonar. let's not give up too easily on ronnie aguilar. for all we know, the athletic department of colorado state issued that denial if only to get our basketball scouts off their backs, and to me that is what happened.

shyboy
06-13-2007, 06:03 PM
Since he looks somewhat like Jeff Cariaso, sana nga may lahing Pilipino yan.

pachador
06-15-2007, 12:35 AM
ibang anthony washington ito.* *;D* * kung pinoy man ito siguro 1/4 na lang kasi itim na mukha e. tatay niya cordova tapos nanay ay mukhang hapon ang last name
http://www.goviks.com/sports/mbball/rosters/displayPlayer.asp?PLAYER_ID=1912

Ghostrider
06-18-2007, 10:19 AM
Ok guys some bad news. I finally got a reply from a Colorado State University Athletic Department. Ronnie aguilar is not Filipino or part-filipino.* Unless, someone else can come up with something to the contrary. The issue is closed. i know it sucks but thats what i just found out today* * *:(

The only other fil-foreigner who is a big man on the horizon is that 6'10" half-filipino half- new zealander that was mentioned in Philstar. we need to get him before new zealand gets him to play because once he has played for new zealand, i think the fiba rules say that* he cannot play anymore for another country.

Looks like Noli Eala has knows something about Ronnie Aguilar that we don't know yet. I caught the news on Teledyaryo last night. He mentioned Ronnie as a potential recruit, along with Gian Chiu and Ray Parks.

As per SBP Executive Director, Patrick "Pato" Gregorio in this morning's interview at ITZ, 918khz, Ronnie Aguilar is of filipino descent. His father is Filipino. This bodes well for the national team.

JonarSabilano
06-18-2007, 11:21 AM

As per SBP Executive Director, Patrick "Pato" Gregorio in this morning's interview at ITZ, 918khz, Ronnie Aguilar is of filipino descent. His father is Filipino.* *This bodes well for the national team.

I'll be booking a flight to Heathrow in 2012. I swear I can hear The Clash playing "London Calling" right now. ;D

Seriously, though, it looks like we won't be lacking in ceiling in the next few years. We've got Slaughter (6'11"), who will take up space in the paint, and we've got R. Aguilar (7'0") who can be a player in the Marcus Camby mold. And let's not forget Japeth who, at 6'9", has good size for a hybrid 3/4 and a decent outside shot and incredible shotblocking, and Gian (6'10" according to his MySpace profile) who will provide solid scoring and rebounding. Any of these four players, if developed correctly, can start for the National team.

pachador
06-18-2007, 12:05 PM
Well, I'm very happy that Ronnie Aguilar is half-filipino although I am puzzled why the colorado state official would say that he is not. The only reason I can think of is that Colorado State was worried that PBA or team Pilipinas would pirate Ronnie Aguilar. Anyway, I hope more concrete news will come out in the newspapers about Ronnie Aguilar. I also emaiiled SIPA(search to involve filipinos in the US) , the LA Showtime coach(a fil-am team) and other filipino groups so one way or another as well as through other channels, someone must have been able(hopefully) to concretely nail down Aguilar's filipino ancestry. Anyway, Below is the reply sent to me that Ronnie is not pinoy:
----Original Message Follows----
To: Anton--- <fr---@--il.com>
Subject: RE: re:Ronnie Aguilar basketball center for Colorado State
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 13:45:25 -0600

Sorry, no he is not Filipino or part Filipino.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, May 17, 2007 2:04 PM
To: d____@lamar.colostate.edu
Cc: P___
Subject: re:Ronnie Aguilar basketball center for Colorado State

Dear M_. P___,

On behalf of our Filipino basketball magazine, Gameface at www.gameface.ph,
and millions of Filipino fans, we would like to know if Ronnie Aguilar your
7 foot basketball center has some Filipino ancestry either on his mom or
dad's side ?

Thank you so much for your time.

Sincerely,

Tony F

As per SBP Executive Director, Patrick "Pato" Gregorio in this morning's interview at ITZ, 918khz, Ronnie Aguilar is of filipino descent. His father is Filipino.* *This bodes well for the national team.

I'll be booking a flight to Heathrow in 2012. I swear I can hear The Clash playing "London Calling" right now.* ;D

Seriously, though, it looks like we won't be lacking in ceiling in the next few years. We've got Slaughter (6'11"), who will take up space in the paint, and we've got R. Aguilar (7'0") who can be a player in the Marcus Camby mold. And let's not forget Japeth who, at 6'9", has good size for a hybrid 3/4 and a decent outside shot and incredible shotblocking, and Gian (6'10" according to his MySpace profile) who will provide solid scoring and rebounding. Any of these four players, if developed correctly, can start for the National team.

pachador
06-18-2007, 12:41 PM
by the way, In my communication with the coach of LA Showtime(a Fil-Am ball team), he said that he heard Ronnie is Fil-am but that he wanted to verify himself but he never got back to me. He further said, that if he found out that Ronnie is Fil-Am he was planning to invite Ronnie to join LA Showtime and bring him with LA showtime in their yearly tour of the Philippines in games against philippiine universities. it is interesting to note that LA Showtime's center, 6'5" Fil-Am Jason Escueta was a high school teammate of Ronnie Aguilar at John Marshall high school varsity team in Los Angeles.

jaybanes42
06-18-2007, 04:42 PM
by the way, In my communication with the coach of LA Showtime(a Fil-Am ball team), he said that he heard Ronnie is Fil-am but that he wanted to verify himself but he never got back to me. He further said, that if he found out that Ronnie is Fil-Am he was planning to invite Ronnie to join LA Showtime and bring him with LA showtime in their yearly tour of the Philippines in games against philippiine universities. it is interesting to note that LA Showtime's center, 6'5" Fil-Am Jason Escueta was a high school teammate of Ronnie Aguilar at John Marshall high school varsity team in Los Angeles.

ronnie aguilar 7-0
greg slaughter 6-11
gian chiu 6-10
japeth aguilar 6-9
michael palarca 5-10
gabe norwood 6-5
they are the future of rp basketball!!!

john_paul_manahan
06-19-2007, 12:02 AM
i think we should let these guys play it out... be trained elsewhere....

for the pba... this is one sacrifice that they have to have for the good of philippine basketball... (if not beijing, london)

yungha
06-19-2007, 11:29 PM
not sure if i saw the same ITZ ghostrider was referring to, but i just watched in the zone, with jude turcuato et al. they had a phone interview with SBP director pato gregorio. gregorio specifically stated that ronnie aguilar's father is pure filipino. amazing news, really. like pachador said in another thread, our national team is all set at the pivot for years to come. we need not fear asi's retirement.

and we'll have 2 aguilars playing in the US NCAA Division 1. any other pinoys in division 1 or strong division 1 prospects at least?

pachador
06-20-2007, 12:35 AM
6'10"* Gian Chiu has made a commitment to Division 3 Oberlin College according to the bball coach at that school. (first noticed by Jonar)

not sure if i saw the same ITZ ghostrider was referring to, but i just watched in the zone, with jude turcuato et al. they had a phone interview with SBP director pato gregorio. gregorio specifically stated that ronnie aguilar's father is pure filipino. amazing news, really. like pachador said in another thread, our national team is all set at the pivot for years to come. we need not fear asi's retirement.

and we'll have 2 aguilars playing in the US NCAA Division 1. any other pinoys in division 1 or strong division 1 prospects at least?

Ghostrider
06-20-2007, 08:47 AM
not sure if i saw the same ITZ ghostrider was referring to, but i just watched in the zone, with jude turcuato et al. they had a phone interview with SBP director pato gregorio. gregorio specifically stated that ronnie aguilar's father is pure filipino.

Its the same. The tuesday night TV show is a "replay"/edited version of the Monday AM radio show on sports radio 918. I prefer the AM show because its spontaneous. I was the mystery texter who asked about Greg Slaughter. ;D

jaggededge7
06-20-2007, 12:23 PM
I saw couple of Pinays playing for Cleveland State NCAA Division 1. Check it it out, I saw them play Virginia Tech. They were awesome. Check them out sa website ng Cleveland State Womens Basketball.

jaybanes42
06-20-2007, 03:22 PM

baka namn adopted child si ronnie aguilar?

Kid Cubao
06-20-2007, 03:28 PM
^^ and what is the basis for saying that? can you provide proof to the contrary?

5FootCarrot
06-21-2007, 08:05 AM
Sorry about the pseudo-modding, Jump_Shooter, but I think this topic doesn't fall within the purview of the UAAP forum. Sa GD forum siguro dapat ito.

5FootCarrot
06-21-2007, 08:09 AM
Cubao - baka namn nagbibiro lang si jaybanes42? Nalimutan lang nga yung smiley face ;D

jaybanes42
06-21-2007, 06:50 PM
Cubao - baka namn nagbibiro lang si jaybanes42? Nalimutan lang nga yung smiley face ;D

nakalimutan ko nga!sorry... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

gameface_one
07-20-2007, 06:43 AM
Japan schools looking for more Pinoy cagers

By BILL VELASCO
The Philippine Star

“The Exchange Student Who is Causing a Sensation”

That is how newspapers in Kyoto, Japan describe Maui Villanueva, a former UAAP junior Mythical team member from UPIS who is the first Filipino recruited to play basketball for a Japanese school. Now, he’s opened the door for other young Filipino players to follow suit.

It all started in March of 2005, when Villanueva visited a friend at Reyes Gym in Mandaluyong. Higashiyama High School happened to be holding tryouts, and invited him back the following morning, which was the last day. After that last session, the coaches were so impressed, they immediately offered the 6’4” center a three-year scholarship.

“We were surprised when they told us that Maui had to leave immediately the following week,” recalls Maui’s mother, Corinne. “We were happy and sad, and just tried to give him all the advice we could, and told him to pray.”

“There was a lot of pressure on me, because I knew I was representing the Philippines and our culture,” Maui told The Star. “It was really hard. I missed my family and I didn’t understand Japanese. So everything was body language, even the practices.”

But he made a huge impression on the entire Kyoto when, in his first month, he was visited by former president Corazon Aquino, who had read about him in The STAR. Mrs. Aquino was on a speaking engagament in Kyoto, and went to the Higashiyama campus to check on him.

“They were like, ‘Who are you back in the Philippines, anyway?’” laughs Villanueva at the recollection. “It was a great honor for me.”

Eventually, the former UPIS starter’s skill surfaced, and Higashiyama won on several of the tournaments they joined. In the Kyoto district tournament, they placed second only to the eventual All-Japan champion Rakunan High School. Villanueva hopes that, before he graduates in March, he will be able to repay Higashiyama by overcoming that last remaining obstacle.

Now, other schools have taken notice, and are looking for their own Filipino recruits. But before they do that, Maui Villanueva’s coach has one last request: find him another tall, talented Filipino recruit who has the same fighting heart.

gameface_one
08-10-2007, 07:58 PM
Check out Tony Faustino's new article about FilAm prospects in the homepage.

Mateen Cleaves
08-11-2007, 07:02 AM
^interesting article. Some thoughts:

Di ba naglaro na dito yang "playground legend" Sunny Margate?

Daming mga 6'0" / 255 pound prospects sa Hawaii! Mukhang may lahing Samoan na ang mga 'to. Baka mas bagay na nose guard kesa point guard.

Yung Dave Clark, ang lakas pa rin pala. Paborito ng tatay ko yan e.

darkwing
08-18-2007, 05:10 PM
There's an article about a certain Adrian Sosa from Emory University-Florida on asian-basket.com, I just checked his stats on the Emory Basketball website. Seems like an outstanding baller to me but does'nt a surname like Sosa sound more like cuban than pinoy?Anyway, he's rumoured to be playing this upcoming PBL season so well see if he's legit...abangan

pachador
08-19-2007, 04:53 AM
Emory University's top gun Adrian Sosa set to make waves in the Philippines
by Hector Santos - Aug 18, 2007

In the state of Florida, Adrian Sosa is without a doubt, the most dominant Filipino-American hoops figure in American college basketball as described by Balt Quinain Jr, Team Florida Basketball General Manager.

According to the article by Balt, Sosa's fans should make the most of what could be his last few days in Florida. After the NABA games in Toronto, the 6'0 foot point guard from Emory University (NCAA Division 3) in Atlanta will fly to the Philippines to take part in a series of basketball camps to be part of the prestigious Philippine Basketball League (PBL) and the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA).

Adrian, whose paternal roots is from Cavite, is more than ready to go through whatever hurdles that come his way. As a star point guard of the Emory Eagles basketball program from 2005 to 2007, Adrian is a seasoned playmaker. He has become a five-star general in the backcourt and has been pitted against the best of the best in American college hoops.

In one of his spectacular performances, Sosa scored a career high 28 points in a lopsided 78-61 win against the University of the South, hitting nine of 17 on the floor, and a career-tying record of seven triples. His 11 rebounds highlighted his first career double-double in that same game.

In a previous outing, Sosa exploded with 14 points to lift the Eagles in a 77-73 victory against Oglethorpe University.

The two performances earned Sosa the Co-Player-of-the-Week Award from officials of the University Athletic Association (UAA).

Sosa is ranked first among all UAA players in scoring, averaging 19 points per game. He also ranks first in the three-point department, averaging three triples per game. He placed 11th in three-point field goal percentage (43.3%) and is tied for ninth in free throw percentage (80.0%).

Prior to joining Emory, Sosa has also been a standout of the men's basketball program at Oxford College, also in Atlanta.

In 2005, he averaged 23 points per game as he led an All-Star Gainesville team to the semi-finals round in the Philippine Invitational Basketball of North America (PIBNA). PIBNA is an annual competition of Filipino-American basketball teams from more than 20 cities across the United States and Canada.

Last August 11, he led Team Florida to the Final Four of the Asian Basketball League in Atlanta where he averaged 19 points per game. Sosa also awarded with First Team Awardee.

On September 1 and 2, he along with powerhouse Team Florida 2007 will fly to Toronto in a bid to wrest the Open Division crown of the North American Basketball Association (NABA) inter-cities basketball championship.

pachador
08-29-2007, 02:13 AM
brother of Victoria Brick, member of the RP women's bball team:

http://www.citadelsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=43216&SPID=3830&DB_OEM_ID=9700&ATCLID=682332&Q_SEASON=2006

gameface_one
08-29-2007, 07:57 PM
click the link below to view the complete article on the Fil-Am Ballers

http://www.gameface.ph/columns/faustinocolumn.htm

XsandOs
09-06-2007, 05:11 AM
Hi everyone...

There are some other Filipino American products under the radar:

Allan Aguilar: 5'10'' PG from San Diego, California.* 24 year old player who was MVP of his high school team and competed in a city which has a storied history of very good high school talent.* Is finishing his education at Platt College in graphic design and is ready to make the jump to professional basketball.* Has a very high basketball IQ who displays a calm demeanor under game situations and can make both the simple play and the spectacular look very easy.* Very fluid in his game.* He will be entering the PBL draft this September.* Can shoot off the dribble, finish and dunk in transition or off a broken play, and can shoot reliably from the perimeter.* Most of all, he is unselfish and looks to pass first.* Extremely coachable player who works hard.* He makes his teammates better.

Ryan Raypon: 5' 11'' G from Fresno, California.* He is a 19 year old sophomore at University of California, San Diego.* Spent time last year as part of the coaching and training staff for the Men's Basketball Program and will now be walking on with the team.* Strong and athletic build who can finish plays in traffic with body contact.* Was the starting SG for nationally ranked (USA Today Super 25 High School Basketball Poll) San Joaquin Memorial High School for the 2005-2006 season that played in the CIF Division IV Southern Section Finals (State Final Four), and played alongside 7'0'' Brook and Robin Lopez (starting frontcourt for Stanford University) and Quincy Pondexter (starting SF for University of Washington).* Ryan is capable perimeter shooter and can run the break as the PG or finish in the lane on transition.* He can make plays off the dribble in the full court or in a half court offense and always has his eyes up.* He is an excellent onball defender and plays the gaps well in a team defensive setting.*

These are two guys to watch out for in the future and are associated with X's & O's Basketball Events Management.

gameface_one
09-10-2007, 08:17 AM
Fil-Iran star in RP 5 tryouts Monday

By JOAQUIN HENSON
The Philippine Star

Filipino-Iranian sharpshooter Amir Javier Mazarei is showing up for the 11 a.m. Philippine team practice at the Rizal Memorial Coliseum Monday and from all indications, he’ll breeze through the tryouts set by coach Junel Baculi to choose the players representing the country at the Southeast Asian Games in Bangkok in December.

Mazarei, 22, arrived from Los Angeles with Filipina mother Erlinda Javier of Paco and sports agent Roger Jimenez on an Eva Air flight late Saturday morning.

"I’m looking forward to playing for the Philippine team," said Mazarei on Sunday morning during a break from shooting baskets at the Sterling Life Subdivision court in Pamplona, Las Piñas. "It’s a great opportunity and an honor. If I’m given the chance, I hope to be able to contribute to the team."

National team manager Erick Arejola said he’s eager to see how Mazarei performs in Monday’s scrimmages. Harbour Centre owner and national team godfather Mikee Romero might check out the tryouts if his schedule allows.

Arejola said he expects other players to attend the tryouts supervised by Baculi, Ryan Dy and Louie Alas. He named former Purefoods guard Boyet Bautista, Eric Rodriguez of Letran, Ford Arao of Ateneo and Fil-Am Kevin Delafu of Vanguard University as among those who expressed interest in attending. He said Talk ’N’ Text guard Jimmy Alapag is sending his Fil-Am cousin to try out, too.

Arejola mentioned that Christian Coronel and Dennis Daa, who played for the national team in Brunei recently, are now training with Sta. Lucia Realty. Still in the national pool are former pros Allan Salangsang and Ato Morano.

Arejola said when the UAAP and NCAA wars are over, there will be more players trying out for spots in Baculi’s roster. "We hope players like Cabahug, Fernandez, Escobal and Maierhofer will join us," he said. "We can build a very competitive pool."

The 5-10 Mazarei led the three US NCAA divisions in three-point scoring last season. He averaged 28.6 points and 6.2 three-point conversions a game as a senior for the University of Redlands varsity.

"I played point guard in high school and offguard in college," said Mazarei who shot a career-high 57 points against Occidental College in the 2005-06 season. "My passing skills are okay but I think I shoot better than I pass."

Mazarei said he was introduced to the game by his Iranian father Mahdi.

"When I was seven, my dad took me to play in a league," said Mazarei. "My dad was my first coach and biggest influence. I’ve been playing ever since. All my life, I’ve been shooting the ball so I guess I just got good at it."

Mazarei said he teamed with older brother Adam, who is 5-8, for two years at Redlands. "Adam played point guard so he passed the ball a lot to me to score," said Mazarei. "He’s now coaching a club team." Mazarei is the third of four children, all boys.

Last year, Mazarei came to Manila for the first time. "The heat was rough," he recalled. "But I had a good time with my grandparents, uncle (Benjie) and three cousins. I don’t think I’ll have a hard time adjusting to Philippine conditions when I’m playing."

Mazarei said he was informed of the coming PBL draft.

"I don’t know what’s ahead for me," said Mazarei. "All I know is I want to play in the Philippines and hopefully enjoy a long career. I leave it up to Roger to determine what to do. If I’m eligible, I’d like to join the PBL draft and later the PBA draft. My priority at the moment is to try to play for the national team."

Jimenez described Mazarei as a can’t-miss proposition.

"This boy is the real thing," said Jimenez. "He plays like Mark Caguioa. He’s an impact player. I’ve coached Mark, Tony de la Cruz, Alex Cabagnot and Don Allado in Fil-Am leagues in Los Angeles and I’m convinced Amir can hold his own in the PBA."

Mazarei broke the Redlands varsity all-time career records in scoring, field goals and steals in four years with the Bulldogs. He improved his scoring norm every year from 15.4 as a freshman to 20.9 as a sophomore to 24.8 as a junior and to 28.6 as a senior.

Mazarei’s mother Erlinda, an accountant, has two brothers one of whom Benjie lives in Las Piñas where the Fil-Iranian hotshot is now staying.

gameface_one
09-10-2007, 08:22 AM
2 more cagers with Filipino roots seeking SEAG berths

By Jasmine W. Payo
Inquirer
Last updated 03:50am (Mla time) 09/10/2007

MANILA, Philippines -- The Philippine basketball team continues to get a boost from the international pipeline.

Two more overseas-born players with Filipino roots are hoping to land slots in the all-amateur squad that will see action in the Thailand Southeast Asian Games in December.

Fil-American Kevin Dalafu and Fil-Iranian Amir Mazarei will try out for the team when it resumes training at 11 a.m. Monday at the Rizal Coliseum.

Dalafu, a 6-foot-2 guard, played for the Vanguard University of Southern California.

The 5-foot-11 Mazarei, who arrived Saturday night, suited up for the University of Redlands in Thousand Oaks, California.

Mazarei set a single-game record of 57 points and averaged four triples a game for his school. The 22-year-old cager also averaged 24.8 points to earn a spot in the first team of the Southern California Inter-Collegiate Athletic Conference.

Fil-Am Gabe Norwood, a 6-foot-5 guard, earlier expressed interest to don the national colors again after playing for the San Miguel-RP squad in the FIBA Asia championship in Tokushima, Japan, last July.

“With the departure of most top PBL (Philippine Basketball League) players to the pro ranks, we really need to beef up our team,” said Mikee Romero, Harbour Centre owner and SEAG project manager. “If they’re really good, then we will take them.”

Only Jason Castro, PBL back-to-back Most Valuable Player, and 6-foot-6 center Beau Belga are assured of slots in the national team mentored by Junel Baculi.

Former Purefoods point guard Boyet Bautista and Erick Rodriguez of Toyota Balintawak are also expected to join the tryouts.

Meanwhile, the PBL has set a Sept. 24 deadline for the submission of rookie draft applications. The draft is slated Sept. 28.

gameface_one
09-12-2007, 10:03 AM
Four Fil-fors’ fate hangs in balance

SPORTING CHANCE By JOAQUIN M. HENSON
Philstar.com

Coach Junel Baculi said Tuesday he’s not sure if slots will be available on the national team for the four Fil-foreigners trying out to represent the country at the Southeast Asian (SEA) Games in Bangkok this December.

The Philippine Star

Coach Junel Baculi said Tuesday he’s not sure if slots will be available on the national team for the four Fil-foreigners trying out to represent the country at the Southeast Asian (SEA) Games in Bangkok this December.

But Baculi left the door open for the hopefuls, saying nobody is guaranteed a ticket until the pool is finalized at the end of the UAAP and NCAA seasons.

Baculi said what will separate the men from the boys is talent.

“It’s all about pagalingan,” remarked Baculi during a break in the three-hour practice and tryouts at the Rizal Memorial Coliseum. “Let’s see who will be left standing. We’ve got a lot of guards trying out. What we lack are big men.”

Balance is key in the composition of the team. Once the positions are filled up, Baculi will work on each player’s role, chemistry and teamwork.

Team manager Erick Arejola said experience is also a determining factor, pointing to the advantage of former pros Allan Salangsang, Boyet Bautista and Ato Morano and veteran Eugene Tan.

In Tuesday’s practice, Morano was absent, leaving Josh Urbiztondo, Chad Alonzo, Kevin Delafu, Kevyn White, Amir Mazarei, Nestor David, Richard Cole, Salangsang, Tan, Jeff Chan, Beau Belga, Jason Castro, Eric de la Cuesta, Jerwin Gaco, Lawrence Bonus, Bautista and Paolo Obra to sweat it out on the floor. Supervising the workouts were Baculi, Ryan Dy and Louie Alas.

Of the players trying out, 11 were on the Harbour Centre-Philippine squad that took fifth place in the six-team Sultan’s Cup in Brunei last week.

Arejola said four of the six teams played with imports. The exceptions were Harbour Centre and last-placer Jordan.

“We didn’t recruit imports because that would’ve defeated the purpose of our participation,” explained Arejola. “We wanted to test our players.” The LG Sakers of South Korea won the title with the PBA’s Sta. Lucia Realty finishing second. The Singapore Slingers, made up of seven Australians, two imports and three Singaporeans, took third and the Darwin All-Stars, fourth.

Arejola said he’s now looking for an overseas tournament where the team could play in a tune-up for the SEA Games.

Baculi said he’ll trim the training roster in late October or early November. Expected to show up for tryouts after the UAAP and NCAA end their seasons are San Beda College’s Pong Escobal, Adamson’s Patrick Cabahug, National University’s Jonathan Fernandez, La Salle’s Rico Maierhofer, University of Santo Tomas’ Jervy Cruz and Ateneo’s Ford Arao.

Arejola said he was impressed by the Fil-foreigners who are all walk-in applicants.

“Amir’s a shooter and he’s quick,” said Arejola. “He has good basketball sense and knows how to use picks. Delafu’s a deadshot who has more size than Amir. Cole is like Tayshaun Prince with long arms and plays tough defense. He played with Ryan Reyes on the LA Showtime team. White is Jimmy Alapag’s nephew so if basketball’s in his blood, he must be good, too.”

White, 24, is on his second Manila visit like Mazarei. In 2004, White was brought by Alapag to train with the Talk ’N’ Text squad for over a month. He flew in two days ago from Los Angeles. His mother Elizabeth is Alapag’s older sister.

Mazarei’s agent Roger Jimenez, a Los Angeles-based Filipino, said the University of Redlands guard will join the PBL draft on Sept. 28. Mazarei, a Fil-Iranian, arrived Saturday from Los Angeles with his Fiipina mother Erlinda Javier.

Arejola said in Brunei, Castro and Belga were the team’s most consistent performers. “Jason took over games by himself and Beau was a factor under the boards with his height and bulk,” said Arejola. “Chad also contributed a lot as a power forward.”

In the last SEA Games here two years ago, basketball was scrapped from the schedule because of the Philippines’ suspension by FIBA. But the sport is back in the SEA Games calendar and Arejola said Harbour Centre owner Mikee Romero is determined to win the gold for the country.

Here are comments on Tuesday’s column.

From an Ateneo supporter – “Loved your mini-headlines. My daughter put up a poster ‘Thank You Salamat’ and she was briefly flashed on TV. I also loved the ‘Tiu That Ball’ poster.”

From a La Salle supporter (who requested anonymity) – ”You failed to mention in your column that referee Bermejo called a foul and basket on Maierhofer’s last shot. Looking at the video, Rico made contact with 0.2 of a second left but clutched his shot and released with no time left. The referee made the foul signal then was called by the Technical Committee to view the replay. At least, there should have been two foul shots awarded to Rico.

“(Commissioner Ed) Cordero explained that the referee raised his hand to signal a foul after the buzzer. When a referee sees a foul at 0.2 of a second to go, his hand to signal a foul will surely come after the buzzer.”

Ghostrider
09-20-2007, 11:40 PM
;D

This thread was cited in Coach Eric Altamirano's column in yesterday's Business mirror:

http://www.businessmirror.com.ph/09192007/sports06.html

Call for national players answered

In this writer’s capacity as head of the National Basketball Training Center (NBTC), a call was issued to Filipino basketball players overseas who might want to become members of future Philippine basketball teams.

Although the priority is always for local-bred players from the provinces, the NBTC is also opening the doors to Filipinos who took up residence in other countries, particularly the United States, Canada and Europe.

I am happy to note that there have been referrals from our friends, both based here and in abroad.

Our friend Jay Lopez from PLDT wrote:

“Coach E, in line with your quest to find Filipino-American basketball talents, you may want to check these guys out:

“Allan Aguilar, five-foot-10 point guard from San Diego, California. The 24-year-old player, who was Most Valuable Player (MVP) in his high school, competed in a city which has a history of very good high-school talents. Aguilar is finishing his degree in graphic design at Platt College and is ready to make the jump to professional basketball.…Has a very high basketball IQ and displays a calm demeanor under game situations.…Can make both the simple play and the spectacular look very easy and is very fluid in his game. … Can shoot off the dribble, finish and dunk in transition or off a broken play, and can shoot reliably from the perimeter. Most of all, he is unselfish and looks to pass first.…Extremely coachable player who works hard. He makes his teammates better. … Will enter the Philippine Basketball League draft this September.

“Ryan Raypon, five-foot-11 guard from Fresno, California. He is a 19-year-old sophomore at University of California, San Diego.…Spent time last year as part of the coaching and training staff for the men’s basketball program and will now be walking on with the team.…Strong and athletic player who can finish plays in traffic with body contact.…Was the starting shooting guard for nationally ranked San Joaquin Memorial High School (USA Today Super 25 High School Basketball Poll) for the 2005-’06 season.…Played in the CIF Division IV Southern Section Finals (State Final Four), and played alongside seven-foot Brook and Robin Lopez (starting frontcourt for Stanford University) and Quincy Pondexter (starting SF for University of Washington). Ryan is a perimeter shooter and can run the break as the point guard or finish in the lane in transition. He can make plays off the dribble in the full court or in a half-court offense and always has his eyes up. He is an excellent on-ball defender and plays the gaps well in a team defensive setting.”

Jay also mentioned a site he set up with friends (www.gameface.ph) and mentioned a column by a US-based contributor Tony Faustino in that same web site. It is with great interest that this writer read some names alongside Philippine-bred talents like Japeth Aguilar and Gian Chiu, both former Ateneo Blue Eagles who are in training in the US. Some of the names Tony mentioned were already drafted by PBA teams like Joe Devance and Ryan Reyes.

to continue reading the complete article, click on the link above

:D cool!

XsandOs
09-21-2007, 12:34 AM
;D

This thread was cited in Coach Eric Altamirano's column in yesterday's Business mirror:

http://www.businessmirror.com.ph/09192007/sports06.html

Call for national players answered

In this writer’s capacity as head of the National Basketball Training Center (NBTC), a call was issued to Filipino basketball players overseas who might want to become members of future Philippine basketball teams.

Although the priority is always for local-bred players from the provinces, the NBTC is also opening the doors to Filipinos who took up residence in other countries, particularly the United States, Canada and Europe.

I am happy to note that there have been referrals from our friends, both based here and in abroad.

Our friend Jay Lopez from PLDT wrote:

“Coach E, in line with your quest to find Filipino-American basketball talents, you may want to check these guys out:

“Allan Aguilar, five-foot-10 point guard from San Diego, California. The 24-year-old player, who was Most Valuable Player (MVP) in his high school, competed in a city which has a history of very good high-school talents. Aguilar is finishing his degree in graphic design at Platt College and is ready to make the jump to professional basketball.…Has a very high basketball IQ and displays a calm demeanor under game situations.…Can make both the simple play and the spectacular look very easy and is very fluid in his game. … Can shoot off the dribble, finish and dunk in transition or off a broken play, and can shoot reliably from the perimeter. Most of all, he is unselfish and looks to pass first.…Extremely coachable player who works hard. He makes his teammates better. … Will enter the Philippine Basketball League draft this September.

“Ryan Raypon, five-foot-11 guard from Fresno, California. He is a 19-year-old sophomore at University of California, San Diego.…Spent time last year as part of the coaching and training staff for the men’s basketball program and will now be walking on with the team.…Strong and athletic player who can finish plays in traffic with body contact.…Was the starting shooting guard for nationally ranked San Joaquin Memorial High School (USA Today Super 25 High School Basketball Poll) for the 2005-’06 season.…Played in the CIF Division IV Southern Section Finals (State Final Four), and played alongside seven-foot Brook and Robin Lopez (starting frontcourt for Stanford University) and Quincy Pondexter (starting SF for University of Washington). Ryan is a perimeter shooter and can run the break as the point guard or finish in the lane in transition. He can make plays off the dribble in the full court or in a half-court offense and always has his eyes up. He is an excellent on-ball defender and plays the gaps well in a team defensive setting.”

Jay also mentioned a site he set up with friends (www.gameface.ph) and mentioned a column by a US-based contributor Tony Faustino in that same web site. It is with great interest that this writer read some names alongside Philippine-bred talents like Japeth Aguilar and Gian Chiu, both former Ateneo Blue Eagles who are in training in the US. Some of the names Tony mentioned were already drafted by PBA teams like Joe Devance and Ryan Reyes.

to continue reading the complete article, click on the link above

:D cool!

To the gameface.ph community...thanks for helping to get my players some much-deserved publicity.* These players are good young men who deserve the opportunity to follow their dreams.* We here at X's & O's Basketball Events Management are happy to support them in their efforts.

If anyone has questions about Allan or Ryan, or would like to discuss other players who need help, guidance, or support, they can contact us at:

X's & O's Basketball Events Management
inquiry@xoevents.org
www.xoevents.org

We're based out of California and Manila.

gameface_one
09-21-2007, 11:36 AM
^^^XsandOs, thank you also for informing us. Pls do not hesitate to share with us or give us more news and information.

Big thanks also to our Gameface.ph member/US correspondent Tony Faustino for providing the Fil-Am Ballers article. You certainly opened up a lot of opportunities to our brothers in the US. Your article reached the SBP heads.

pachador
09-21-2007, 01:15 PM
well, if the UAAP, NCAA, CESAFI does not move their basketball calendar to late 1st sem or to 2nd semester, what will happen is the national team B and junior national teams will end up being stocked with mostly fil-ams because american schools does not start till september and FIBA tournaments coincidentally end around august.

this is just a warning to the philippine school leagues that if they dont do their share in contributing to the devt of grassroots basketball, the young fil-ams will end up doing the job of representing the youth teams in the fiba tournaments since american schools dont start till september.

as a general rule , i'm not in favor of young fil-am high schoolers playing in the philippines. i would rather they get more bball experience in college in the US until such time as when the philippine school leagues rise to a level at par with at least american ncaa div 2 or kahit div3, and besides if philippine school leagues do not change their bball calendars, and if all the young fil-ams end up playing in philippine leagues then wala nang matira na magaling for the youth national teams kasi lahat naglalaro sa 1st semester ng philippine school leagues. kaya mas mabuti wag na galawin yung mga young fil-ams for now.

john_paul_manahan
09-21-2007, 01:38 PM
plus if ever, have some of the fil-ams (namely gabe) go play in europe para masanay sa euroball.

mahihirapan tayo if we stick to what we have now....

XsandOs
09-21-2007, 03:33 PM
well, if the UAAP, NCAA, CESAFI does not move their basketball calendar to late 1st sem or to 2nd semester, what will happen is the national team B and junior national teams will end up being stocked with mostly fil-ams because american schools does not start till september and FIBA tournaments coincidentally end around august.

this is just a warning to the philippine school leagues that if they dont do their share in contributing to the devt of grassroots basketball, the young fil-ams will end up doing the job of representing the youth teams in the fiba tournaments since american schools dont start till september.

as a general rule , i'm not in favor of young fil-am high schoolers playing in the philippines. i would rather they get more bball experience in college in the US until such time as when the philippine school leagues rise to a level at par with at least american ncaa div 2 or kahit div3, and besides if philippine school leagues do not change their bball calendars, and if all the young fil-ams end up playing in philippine leagues then wala nang matira na magaling for the youth national teams kasi lahat naglalaro sa 1st semester ng philippine school leagues. kaya mas mabuti wag na galawin yung mga young fil-ams for now.

I can understand your take on the current state of things.* It is certainly vaild, but I think that it is important to keep in my that competition is the best motivator* for improvement and forward progress.* I say open up the gym and the opportunities to any skilled or talented players of Filipino heritage.* In a forum of open and fair competition, the best should always rise to the top.* It is incumbent on those not selected to become mentally tough, work on their game, and come back to compete to take someone else's spot.*

What's the one thing that is missing in Filipino basketball today?* Is it training?* Is is heart and passion?* I don't think so.* All the heart and training in the world does not help a team if they are not mentally tough and cannot handle challenges, fold under pressure, or cannot perservere.* Perserverence is so much a part of the national character...why does it not show up all the time in basketball?* We have teams protesting games based on a technicality that did not impact the final outcome.* We have a team of professional players representing the country who say that they expected to play in the single elimination of the FIBA Asia Championships, and kept on reiterating to an entire nation how disappointed they were, instead of really focusing on playing each game with enthusiasm to try and inspire a nation of fans by playing with resilience.* It does not matter if you fall down...it only matters if and how you get up to fight again.

Honest competition helps a generation of players to develop a mental edge over time.* If that means that Fil Foreigners come in droves to the Philippines to earn spots on teams, at the expense of Filipino players, so be it.* Things will only change when ALL THE STAKEHOLDERS take a serious look at how basketball business is done in the Philippines, and decides that enough is enough, and they start training and developing skill and talent to take the sport and their spots back.* Until that happens and competition, not position, becomes a priority, Pilipinas Basketball will be mired in mediocrity.* Maybe it will be deserved, but the direction can be changed.* We here at X's & O's want to be a part of the solution on both ends of the Pacific, with player identification and development in the Philippines and the United States.*

pachador
09-21-2007, 10:38 PM
there is no question about the need for open competition with no restrictions but what i am trying to emphasize is that fiba competitions which should be the ultimate goal happens in the 1st semester of the philippine school calendar, but if philippine college players whether filam or homegrown cannot participate in the FIBA due to the school leagues then of what purpose are these filam and homegrown players striving for after graduation? e di ano pa kundi money in the PBA. where is the grassroots goal of the SBP of sending the best college and high school players to play in the FIBA competitions? That won't happen nga kasi the school leagues run smack at the same time as the fiba competitions in the 1st semester.

I can understand your take on the current state of things.* It is certainly vaild, but I think that it is important to keep in my that competition is the best motivator* for improvement and forward progress.* I say open up the gym and the opportunities to any skilled or talented players of Filipino heritage.* In a forum of open and fair competition, the best should always rise to the top.* It is incumbent on those not selected to become mentally tough, work on their game, and come back to compete to take someone else's spot.*

What's the one thing that is missing in Filipino basketball today?* Is it training?* Is is heart and passion?* I don't think so.* All the heart and training in the world does not help a team if they are not mentally tough and cannot handle challenges, fold under pressure, or cannot perservere.* Perserverence is so much a part of the national character...why does it not show up all the time in basketball?* We have teams protesting games based on a technicality that did not impact the final outcome.* We have a team of professional players representing the country who say that they expected to play in the single elimination of the FIBA Asia Championships, and kept on reiterating to an entire nation how disappointed they were, instead of really focusing on playing each game with enthusiasm to try and inspire a nation of fans by playing with resilience.* It does not matter if you fall down...it only matters if and how you get up to fight again.

Honest competition helps a generation of players to develop a mental edge over time.* If that means that Fil Foreigners come in droves to the Philippines to earn spots on teams, at the expense of Filipino players, so be it.* Things will only change when ALL THE STAKEHOLDERS take a serious look at how basketball business is done in the Philippines, and decides that enough is enough, and they start training and developing skill and talent to take the sport and their spots back.* Until that happens and competition, not position, becomes a priority, Pilipinas Basketball will be mired in mediocrity.* Maybe it will be deserved, but the direction can be changed.* We here at X's & O's want to be a part of the solution on both ends of the Pacific, with player identification and development in the Philippines and the United States.*

XsandOs
09-22-2007, 05:36 AM
there is no question about the need for open competition with no restrictions but what i am trying to emphasize is that fiba competitions which should be the ultimate goal happens in the 1st semester of the philippine school calendar, but if philippine college players whether filam or homegrown cannot participate in the FIBA due to the school leagues then of what purpose are these filam and homegrown players striving for after graduation? e di ano pa kundi money in the PBA.* where is the grassroots goal of the SBP of sending the best college and high school players to play in the FIBA competitions? That won't happen nga kasi the school leagues run smack at the same time as the fiba competitions in the 1st semester.

I see your point. You are definitely correct in your insights.* In my discussions focusing on grassroots basketball with people within SBP, your concern, stated in other language, has been a point of debate.* The mandate has to come from SBP that all stakeholders, leagues, conferences, and other basketball entities must cooperate with each other, for the good of Pilipinas Basketball.* Meaning, when it comes to training or tournaments, national players must be allowed the opportunity to participate without penalty from the player's home team or conference.* Only SBP can hold the other governing bodies accountable.*

I think they are working towards that soution, but it will take alot of convincing on the part of high school, college, and university coaches, as well as athletic administrators.* Not to mention leagues and conferences.* It's all a matter of SBP leadership and its ability to navigate a highly politicized situation to get everyone to be on the same page, or its force of will make stakeholders bend in order to do what is right for the country.*

As for me, with a slate of progressive grassroots projects that I would like to offer to the Philippines, I am hoping that SBP will do what is best for the country and its athletes and and support the release of national players as needed to represent the country, whenever quality competitions and tournaments are staged.* Playing as a unit against the best global competition is the only way to effective influence improvement in skill and basketball IQ.

gameface_one
09-22-2007, 01:29 PM
Fil-fors headed to PBL, not SEAG?

By NELSON BELTRAN
The Philippine Star

The four Fil-foreign players hoping to make the Harbour Centre-RP team have been advised to look for possible PBL teams instead of continuing to practice with the Nationals without guarantee of a slot to the SEA Games-bound squad.

National coach Junel Baculi told The STAR Kevyn White, Kevin Delafu, Amir Mazarei and Richard Cole are now excused from the RP team’s daily practice, allowing them to try out with ball clubs looking to beef up their lineup from the PBL draft set Sept. 28.

“They’re still welcome to re-join us after the PBL draft but without guarantee of making it to the team,” said Baculi.

“All four are shooters. The problem is that we’re filled with players playing the same position. What we need is big men,” Baculi stressed.

Wingmen who are seemingly having the brighter prospects of making it to the team are Jonathan Fernandez, Eric dela Cuesta and Patrick Cabahug.

“Fernandez and Dela Cuesta are tested players. Fernandez has proven his worth in the SEABA Champions Cup while Dela Cuesta has shown his stuff in the Brunei Cup. We’ve yet to see Cabahug in international play but he showed his worth in the UAAP,” said Baculi.

Among the four Fil-foreign players, Cole, 21, seemed to make the best impression. “He’s 6-foot-4 who looks like Tayshaun Prince. But he’s too young. He’s a good material maybe for the next SEA Games,” said Baculi.

The RP team coaching staff plans to finalize the lineup after the collegiate basketball season or after the likes of Pong Escobal, Jervy Cruz, Mark Borboran and Rico Maierhofer have shown up in practice.

Baculi are looking at Cruz, Borboran and Maierhofer to strengthen their frontcourt.

Escobal, meanwhile, seems already shoo-in to take over from Christian Coronel who has turned pro, signing up with the Sta. Lucia Realtors.

Baculi has promised veteran guard Eugene Tan of a slot if he’s able to trim down by at least 15 pounds. “He could be our third guard. He’s an enforcer. We may need a player like him,” said Baculi, who’s other playmaker is ex-pro Boyet Bautista.

Big men in the current pool are Jason Ballesteros of San Sebastian, Lawrence Bonus of St. Francis of Assisi, Beau Belga of PCU, Chad Alonzo of Adamson, Jerwin Gaco of La Salle and Allan Salangsang of Letran.

“Jervy Cruz, Rico Maierhofer and Borboran are sure to make an impact. That’s the selection process,” said Baculi.

Having played one international tourney in Brunei, the RP team’s next trip could be Korea or Chinese Taipei for a series of exhibition games in the first week of October.

“We’re looking at a trip where we can simulate what we’ll do in the SEA Games – a week of daily games,” said Baculi.

pachador
09-23-2007, 02:11 PM
Russell(from X & O),

kilala mo si Ted or Edward Raypon from cagayan de oro originally?

there is no question about the need for open competition with no restrictions but what i am trying to emphasize is that fiba competitions which should be the ultimate goal happens in the 1st semester of the philippine school calendar, but if philippine college players whether filam or homegrown cannot participate in the FIBA due to the school leagues then of what purpose are these filam and homegrown players striving for after graduation? e di ano pa kundi money in the PBA.* where is the grassroots goal of the SBP of sending the best college and high school players to play in the FIBA competitions? That won't happen nga kasi the school leagues run smack at the same time as the fiba competitions in the 1st semester.

I see your point. You are definitely correct in your insights.* In my discussions focusing on grassroots basketball with people within SBP, your concern, stated in other language, has been a point of debate.* The mandate has to come from SBP that all stakeholders, leagues, conferences, and other basketball entities must cooperate with each other, for the good of Pilipinas Basketball.* Meaning, when it comes to training or tournaments, national players must be allowed the opportunity to participate without penalty from the player's home team or conference.* Only SBP can hold the other governing bodies accountable.*

I think they are working towards that soution, but it will take alot of convincing on the part of high school, college, and university coaches, as well as athletic administrators.* Not to mention leagues and conferences.* It's all a matter of SBP leadership and its ability to navigate a highly politicized situation to get everyone to be on the same page, or its force of will make stakeholders bend in order to do what is right for the country.*

As for me, with a slate of progressive grassroots projects that I would like to offer to the Philippines, I am hoping that SBP will do what is best for the country and its athletes and and support the release of national players as needed to represent the country, whenever quality competitions and tournaments are staged.* Playing as a unit against the best global competition is the only way to effective influence improvement in skill and basketball IQ.

JonarSabilano
10-15-2007, 11:02 AM
I got this info from a guy named "logre23" on Interbasket.net:

guys, trying to find players with filipino blood i found this picture stating philip martin guy is half "philippine boy"....i think this pic was taken way back in year 2000.

http://iwillneverusetobacco.com/Basketball.htm

based on my research I found a guy named philip martin playing for Radford Highlanders (Div I) (big south) ( 6-6 , 190lbs , Sophomore)
but again bench warmer...still, let see after college if any improvements

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebas.../roster/RADFRD

http://www.ruhighlanders.com/teams/i...3&season_id=55

to see his profile..click roster, player profiles ...philip martin.
the face seems alike as the old picture.*

I dont have NCAA tv programs here in the middle east...hope you can check out this guy whenever there is a highlanders game....& hope he has the kabayan blood.

I'm not too sure if the two websites refer to the same person since the Fil-Am Philip Martin went to Lexington Catholic HS while Radford's Philip Martin went to Roanoke Catholic HS.

XsandOs
10-17-2007, 09:19 AM
I got this info from a guy named "logre23" on Interbasket.net:

guys, trying to find players with filipino blood i found this picture stating philip martin guy is half "philippine boy"....i think this pic was taken way back in year 2000.

http://iwillneverusetobacco.com/Basketball.htm

based on my research I found a guy named philip martin playing for Radford Highlanders (Div I) (big south) ( 6-6 , 190lbs , Sophomore)
but again bench warmer...still, let see after college if any improvements

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebas.../roster/RADFRD

http://www.ruhighlanders.com/teams/i...3&season_id=55

to see his profile..click roster, player profiles ...philip martin.
the face seems alike as the old picture.*

I dont have NCAA tv programs here in the middle east...hope you can check out this guy whenever there is a highlanders game....& hope he has the kabayan blood.

I'm not too sure if the two websites refer to the same person since the Fil-Am Philip Martin went to Lexington Catholic HS while Radford's Philip Martin went to Roanoke Catholic HS.

Unless the kid's family moved from Kentucky (Lexington) to Virginia (Roanoke), then these are probably two different guys.* The links to the school Radford websites did not work.* Hard to tell if they're talking about the same guy in the photo.* But if you project out and assume that the player in the photo was 14 years old in 2000, he would be 23 now, too old to be a sophomore in college.* Let's say he went to a junior college for a couple of years, he would still be a little old to be a sophomore and would not be considered so in terms of collegiate eligibility.*

The Big South is considered a mid-major conference and does not often have nationally televised games. The only way to catch them on TV is if you lived in Virginia.

thadzonline
10-17-2007, 12:01 PM
Here's a Fil-am benchwarmer from USC of the Pac-10 Conference: Ryan Wetherell

http://philippinebasketballreview.blogspot.com/2007/10/ryan-wetherell.html

thadzonline
10-18-2007, 03:16 PM
what about this guy who looks Asian:

http://www.lynn.edu/index.php?src=directory&srctype=display&id=13184&submenu=BasketballMen&view=BasketballMen_detail&category=Basketball%20Men%20Roster

thadzonline
10-18-2007, 04:28 PM
Hans Thiele of the UE Warriors is half-German and there's this one guy from Australia set to play NAIA, 6-1 Matt Schmechtig.

pachador
10-19-2007, 01:28 PM
three term Governor of Laguna , Gobernador Juan Cailles of French and bombay descent:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_Cailles

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8f/Juan_Cailles.jpg

BedanRoar
10-19-2007, 01:46 PM
Robert "Big J" Jaworski .

thadzonline
10-19-2007, 03:35 PM

Jaworski is of Polish descent

BedanRoar
10-19-2007, 04:05 PM

Jaworski the father may have polish lineage. But, the mother of Jaworski is related to a Bonnevie which has French Blood (if my understanding was right from the explanation of this mother's relative to me many years ago). Anyway, anybody here could probably confirm this further.

BigBlue
10-19-2007, 04:06 PM
three term Governor of Laguna , Gobernador Juan Cailles of French and bombay descent:

basketball player din sya? ???

pachador
10-20-2007, 02:50 PM
not that i know of =) ok i went overboard on that one. malay mo meron siyang mga descendants who are now players=)

basketball player din sya? ???

flsfnoeraekadad
10-20-2007, 04:44 PM
Nicole Scherzinger. Joke lang. ;D

toti_mendiola
10-20-2007, 07:28 PM
Didn't know about that story re Oca Cabrera. Interesting though. We come from the same Batangas town as the Cabreras and a lot of our relatives were either close friends or at the very least contemporaries. I actualy met him once in college through Kevin Ramas (we played summer league ball, with Bong Marasigan and Benny Cheng, before he turned pro).

Oca"pogi" Cabrera still has mean game.We would often meet hiis team, Biocare, whom he coaches and plays for in the finals whether it is an open l league here in fairview-lagro-nova area. His contemporaries in MIT back in the days are also regular participants. Topacio & co. oftenly represents Konica team here in our side of hoops paradise and they are oftenly reinforced by ex-pros. Before Ramas moved out of fairview and relocated somewhere else he would always team up with pogi and participate in leagues inside and outside of F-L-N area.

JakeCL
10-25-2007, 12:21 PM

Kurt Bachmann (?)
Sonny Thoss
Ed Feihl

sino pa?

the great Charlie Borck. :)

thadzonline
10-25-2007, 12:38 PM
Matt Schmechtig now playing US NAIA Div I is of Filipino-German-Australian ancestry

thadzonline
10-25-2007, 12:44 PM
Fil-foreigner joining USC Warriors tryout after the Halloween break...dati daw nag try out sa Ateneo

dioning
10-30-2007, 10:38 PM

Jaworski the father may have polish lineage. But, the mother of Jaworski is related to a Bonnevie which has French Blood (if my understanding was right from the explanation of this mother's relative to me many years ago). Anyway, anybody here could probably confirm this further.

Not sure but I think Jaworski's mother married a Bonnevie

dioning
10-30-2007, 11:18 PM

Kurt Bachmann (?)
Sonny Thoss
Ed Feihl

sino pa?

the great Charlie Borck.* *:)

Dickie Bachmann
Jens Knuttel
Jacques Gottenbos (actually Fil-Dutch, teutonic na din)
Frauendorff of San Beda and Mapua
Mike Burtscher (Fil-Swiss, the Swiss are either French or German)
Rico Maierhofer (Austrians are of German stock)
Kurt Seeberger (former Letran cager, hope I got his name right)
Rudy Kutch?

Jeep
11-08-2007, 03:31 PM
blue eaglet legend mike facundo's mother is german, i think.

MonL
11-08-2007, 03:40 PM

OT: Hindi nag-umpisa sa Letran ang pag-gamit ng pangalan sa pangangantiyaw (FaUNdoooooooo....)

Nag-umpisa ito kay Mike. (FaCUNdooooo!!!!!!!!!)* Pero di kasing lakas nung kay Bryan.*Honest. First hand account ito. ;D

Back to topic na.* ;D

dioning
11-08-2007, 06:07 PM

korekadyan! Facundo's mom is german. He also played for the seniors team together with chot reyes, jolas and jonel ladaban. During the early eighties, laging nagkakainitan ang Ateneo at UP sa UAAP. Lalo na pag si chot at yeng guiao ang nag tapat. I remember a game in 1981 when players from both ateneo and UP ended up throwing punches at each other immediately after the game. Mabilis lang yung away at naawat agad.

Btw, Ken Bono yata is also part german.

Atsaka regarding Oscar Cabrera of San Beda, Mapua and RC Cola, lagi ko siyang nakikita sa Pacific Star Building kung saan located yung french embassy.

thadzonline
12-31-2007, 08:16 PM
A 6'0" guard from North Carolina wants to play ball in the Philippines

alex15
01-03-2008, 09:48 AM
Sino ung player na yan thadz? magaling ba?

thadzonline
01-03-2008, 10:08 AM
6'9 Antonio Herico's reply when asked about any plans to play pro basketball in RP:

im saying i do love the sport but as of right now im working trying to get my own place, and going to school.

thadzonline
01-03-2008, 10:11 AM
Sino ung player na yan thadz? magaling ba?

good shooter, good rebounder...probably will drop by Cebu first

alex15
01-03-2008, 05:33 PM
Ano pla ung name at height?

JonarSabilano
02-11-2008, 01:18 PM
There's a 6'5" half-Pinoy shooting guard starting for the Hawai'i Rainbow Warriors in the NCAA Division I:

Turnaround jumper

By Dayton Morinaga
Advertiser Staff Writer

Jared Dillinger is hapa, he likes to watch "Lost," and he enjoys surfing.

Sometimes, looks can be deceiving.

"I call him a poser," his teammate Riley Luettgerodt said with a laugh. "He thinks he's Hawaiian, even though he's not. But he doesn't fool us. We know the real J.D."

The real "J.D." has emerged as a secret weapon this season for the University of Hawai'i men's basketball team.

Last season, Dillinger was the 14th man on a 14-player roster for the Rainbow Warriors. This season, he is a starting guard who has become one of the team's most reliable defenders and long-range shooters.

(Please see http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080208/SPORTS0204/802080381/1312/SPORTS0204&template=UHsports
for the rest of the story.

JustAWatcher
05-07-2008, 02:10 PM
;)

gameface_one
05-07-2008, 04:40 PM
^^^Merging this with the Fil-foreign basketball prospects thread.

JustAWatcher
05-07-2008, 10:55 PM
anyone know of Karl Dehesa? one of the best fil-am player in so cal region, in my opinion. 20 yr. old 6'2'' swingman can handle the ball very well and has a quick pull up jumper, NBA range and can dunk defense is amazing. don't sleep on him!

gameface_one
05-07-2008, 11:31 PM
^^^He was mentioned previously in an article about Fil-Am Ballers written by Gameface.ph correspondent Tony Faustino last year. The article can still be read in the homepage (click Tony Faustino) or this link:
http://www.gameface.ph/columns/faustino080907.php

JustAWatcher
05-08-2008, 12:15 PM
^^^gameface_one i would like to chat with you please send contact info or please e-mail me at kevd26@yahoo.com. thanks.

gameface_one
05-08-2008, 09:30 PM
^^^Replied to your PM.

kingtut
06-10-2008, 10:34 PM
For people back home.... some people here (greater Toronto area) are trying to organize sending young talents (high school) to the Phillipines to play against College/university teams in Manila and possibly in the provinces too. Earliest date is possibly '08 Christmas time! This way the kids here can have some exposure and possibly attract offers from schools there!

thadzonline
06-26-2008, 12:37 AM
bring em on kingtut, many would love to watch that

Joescoundrel
09-15-2008, 11:01 AM
Any one new on the immediate horizon?

thadzonline
09-15-2008, 11:54 AM
January 2009 Joe, 6'8" kid coming to Cebu..unfortunately, I cannot divulge the details just yet

thadzonline
09-15-2008, 11:55 AM
Josh Vanlandingham, 6'4" from Pacific Lutheran University( I suppose this is an NAIA program) has apparently submitted his documents for the PBL Draft

Topflight
12-11-2008, 06:28 PM
Karl Dehesa
6'3
190 Pounds
SG
21 years old

Karl is currently playing at Waldorf College in Iowa. He developed his game in Southern California. He played his first two years of college basketball at Santa Ana College. Very solid player. Can shoot the three, take it to the hole strong, has a good solid handle on the ball, and plays D ( something that lacks in fil-am players ). Also has a good head on his shoulders. Look out for this kid in 2010 after he get his degree at Waldorf. He wants to play in the PI if given the chance.

nardy
12-18-2008, 12:45 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3245/2598268972_a29fba9921.jpg

Eric Altamirano, the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) Program Head of the National Basketball Training Center (NBTC) and the Head Coach of the Philippine U16 National Youth Team for Boys, has issued a call to Filipino basketball players based in the Philippines or overseas who might want to become members of future Philippine basketball teams.

Although the priority is always for local-bred players from the provinces, the NBTC is also opening the doors to Filipinos who took up residence in other countries, particularly the United States, Canada, Argentina, Brazil, Europe, Africa and Australia.

Coach Eric indicated there is an urgency to find the following 2 type of players for NBTC:

A very tall foreign player (6'10 and above) who is willing to become*
a Naturalized Filipino.* Said player should have been born on 1993*
or much later. Said player shoud have the makings of a Bill Russell*
kind of a player.

A Filipino or Fil-Foreign player that's a very good point guard. He
should also be born 1993 or much later. Said player is someone who
plays more maturely than his actual age.

Both players should be able to easily adopt to the way the International Game is played.

We are also looking for Fil-foreign players who are consistent outside shooters from mid-range upto beyond the 3-point line.

The Philippines really needs tall players as the program is taken on an international context. We also need younger players (boys and girls) within the 12 to 19 age requirement of the NBTC program. If there are other Filipino or Fil-foreign kids that are based locally or overseas and have considerable talent in basketball, your recommendations are most welcomed.

If you are in the know of such players as stated above, you can contact Coach Eric at his email address altamiranohoops@yahoo.com.

For our Men's National Team, we are looking for one or two tall foreign player(s), preferably standing around 7 feet. The foreign player will then be asked to undergo naturalization to become a Filipino citizen. We are looking for a player who can "match up with the best of Asia's seven-footers." He is pictured as a hardworking rebounder, an intimidating shot-blocker plus can be depended on to score on the low post if needed and when double-teamed has an eye for an open team mate then make an accurate pass.

The long-term program of the Men's National Team is also looking for 20-, 25-, 30-year old half-Filipinos who are tall in height and are extremely talented and athletic basketball players.

Do email prospective players for the Men's Team to the SBP Executive Director Noli Eala. His email address is n_eala@yahoo.com.

There is also a revival of the country's women's basketball league whose objective is to elevate the level of women's basketball and make it competitive in the Southeast Asian Games and eventually, in the Asian Games. This league is a venue for aspiring lady players and a launch pad for our campaign to win internationally. Filipina and Fil-Foreign players from abroad are very much welcome to play in the league. The league will allow players 28 years old and below to play. Those who want to try-out can communicate with Women's Philippine Basketball League via email, admin@pbl.org Attention:PBL Commissioner Chino Trinidad

Do note all foreign players who had played previously in their National Team at any level are already disqualified from being naturalized so they would no longer be entertained. And Naturalized Filipinos are needed to renounce their present citizenship(s) and are not allowed to have dual-citizenships.

By the way to avoid citizenship complications on Fil-foreign players, it's more prudent that at least one of his or her parents was still a Filipino Citizen at the time of birth of said player.

Please note this is a serious search and kindly make sure of the quality of play of your recommendees are really worth considering as National Team Players. Again, if ever you found the kind of basketball players we are looking for, do email directly to the PBL, Coach Altimirano and/or Mr. Eala, just advise them that Mr. Nardy contacted you and am referring you to them.* Do send personal biodata with contact information/references, basketball profile including official career statistics and photos of the players you are recommending plus any available videos (online link or file attachment) of their games.* * If you have other questions, they are the above personalities are the right people to give you the answers.

http://www.globalfirepower.com/imgs/maps/philippines.jpg

SBP USA regional director Caloy Allado, for his part, would also like to inform that there is a Filipino-American Camp to be held in the US to search for probable national players of the Philippines. We are staging this Fil-Am All-Star camp scheduled sometime in April 2009 to be held in Las Vegas, Nevada. We will be having two categories:

a. Senior Level (19-26 yrs old with college ball experience)

b. Junior Level (15-18 yrs old with high school ball experience)

The final number of teams will be determined on the number of players that will be nominated.

The purpose of the Fil-Am camp is to identify potential members for the Philippine national team that will compete in the Asian Games in 2010, Qualifiying Tournament leading to 2012 London Olympics and other international tournaments in the next four years. The national coach and his staff will be present in the camp.

We would appreciate your assistance in spreading the news to your members/players and hopefully you could nominate players to this camp.

For further information, please call or email:

Caloy Allado
USA Regional Director, BAP-SBP
13103 Barbara Ann St. Ste 23
North Hollywood CA 91605-4612
Cellphone No.: +1 (818) 387-5576 or +1 (818) 764-6112
Email: hallado@aol.com

Thank you so much and Good luck to us all.

In behalf of the Philippines our sincerest gratitude.

Mabuhay ang TEAM PILIPINAS !!!!

PS. You can visit the website of the Philippines' National Basketball Federation at http://www.sbp.com.ph (http://www.sbp.com.ph)

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/julio38/RPTeam.jpg

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n268/hingedman/team-pilipinas.jpg

Schortsanitis
08-12-2009, 05:09 PM
It hasn't been posted yet here, but it was already posted at the Interbasket forums since a couple of days ago that UCLA prospect Tyler Lamb is a Fil-Am. This is still for confirmation, but if indeed true, the guy must be really, really good to be a prospect for a major US NCAA Division 1 team.

yungha
08-13-2009, 10:03 AM
damn right he's good. he's a 4- star recruit, ranked by rivals.com at #38 overall and #8 among all shooting guards for the class of 2010. not even ryan reyes, gabe norwood nor kelly williams were ever ranked by rivals.

mighty_lion
08-13-2009, 10:33 AM
Here is a draftexpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/article/HoopHall-Classic-Scouting-Reports-Part-Three-3090/) article regarding Tyler Lamb.

Tyler Lamb, 6-4, Shooting Guard, Mater Dei, 2010
Committed to UCLA

Tyler Lamb (#57 Scout, #99 Rivals, #33 ESPN) didn’t stand out in particular in this game against a very talented Whitney Young team, but his team really didn’t need him to do much but play his typical game.

Lamb doesn’t really stand out physically on first glance, being a 6-3 or 6-4 skinny combo guard with an average frame and just decent athleticism. He doesn’t appear to be much of a scorer either, as he’s a decent shooter and average shot-creator, while he struggled to finish around the basket in the few occasions he tried getting there. He is extremely unselfish, though, showing some potential to possibly develop some point guard skills down the road, being a very good passer (particularly with his post-entry looks) and highly intelligent moving the ball around in Mater Dei’s half-court sets. Fundamentally sound defensively, Lamb looked like a very competitive player, playing extremely hard and doing a good job hustling after rebounds. He’s a role player in high school, and will almost certainly be a role player in college, which is exactly what Ben Howland will need from him at UCLA. There is a lot to be said for signing players from great high school programs that already know how to win, work and execute, and Howland seems to understand that as well as anyone.

Schortsanitis
08-13-2009, 01:19 PM
Here are more information about Tyler from www.scouthoops.scout.com:

- Profile: http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=3168608

- News: http://search.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=4&c=1&search=1&sskey=%22Tyler+Lamb%22&sssiteid=-1

Mateen Cleaves
08-13-2009, 04:27 PM
Saw an article that gave his mother's height at 5'0"... pang Pinay nga yang height na 'yan! ;D