PDA

View Full Version : PBA to switch to hybrid rules (FIBA plus NBA)

pachador
04-25-2007, 08:47 AM
I hope this pushes through. It will be good for Philippine basketball:

Refs’ guru bats for PBA reforms

By Joaquin Henson
The Philippine Star 04/25/2007

Visiting FIBA referee instructor Alan Richardson said yesterday the PBA must seriously consider adopting "hybrid" rules to familiarize players with the international game and break away from patterning itself after the NBA to develop its own identity.

Richardson, 59, leaves Manila today after a 10-day trip where he observed PBA action, conferred with PBA coaches, met with the PBA Board of Governors, updated PBA referees on trends in officiating, spoke with national coach Chot Reyes at length, called on SBP president Manny Pangilinan and discussed possible reforms with PBA commissioner Noli Eala.

"The PBA is at a crossroads," said the Euroleague’s technical advisor and clinic director who worked FIBA games as a referee from 1978 to 1998. "It’s a recipe for disaster with the PBA employing basically NBA rules and the Philippines back to playing international tournaments. The national team will only suffer from this situation. The US no longer dominates the Olympics and World Championships because the way the game is played has changed. There are too many rules against physical contact in the NBA and PBA."

Richardson said it’s no wonder in Europe, there is only one American coach in circulation – Gordon Herbert who has learned the international game.

"The PBA should undergo a gradual transition and become a league of its own, not just a copy of the NBA," he said. "It takes drastic measures to achieve drastic results but change won’t come overnight."

Richardson said a top-to-bottom reorientation of officiating is necessary to effect meaningful reforms. He referred to a pyramidal structure where the PBA is at the apex, the PBL at the next level, the UAAP and NCAA at a lower level and the mass-based school system at the base.

Richardson said he is open to working with the SBP and PBA on a long-term basis as a consultant.

"Commitment is a two-way street," he said. "I’ve been invited to come back in August. I hope to return and see some changes already in place. I realize transition will be gradual. I’ve recommended slight changes as a start of a step-by-step process. I’ve suggested some mechanical changes and talked about seat-belt rules for coaches. I"ve stressed the importance of discipline because it breeds respect for authority."

If he returns, Richardson said he will gather the PBA coaches and referees for on-court sessions once in the preseason and once more in mid-season. "I will encourage discussion among the coaches and referees," he said. "Coaches can run through plays and clarify what constitutes a foul. This is a process where both sides earn mutual respect. Nothing social, strictly professional."

One aspect that Richardson emphasized to PBA referees is avoiding ticky-tacky calls.

"My rule is don’t stop the music," said Richardson. "Fans want to hear music, not whistles. Don’t call a foul unless contact affects a play. For as long as contact doesn’t interfere with the game, it should be let go. Don’t rob the excitement of the game."

Richardson said the PBA’s 16 referees are in a privileged position because aside from those in the NBA, they’re the only full-time whistle-blowers in the world.

"My conclusion is PBA referees are honest and human," said Richardson. "A player missing a layup or committing a turnover means he’s human. It’s the same thing with a referee who misses a call. I notice a lack of respect for referees and it isn’t right. I know respect is earned but the lottery system of choosing referees 30 minutes before a game is appalling, degrading and distrustful. You can’t expect a referee to be mentally and physically prepared to work a game 30 minutes before it starts. In the Euroleague, referees are assigned two weeks before a game and FIBA assigns referees four weeks before."

Kid Cubao
04-25-2007, 09:03 AM
ummmm, the PBA is already carrying out hybrid rules. the league now allows all kinds of zones, and it already uses the new 12 seam basketball while retaining 12 minute quarters, the pro 3 point line, and pro timeouts. it is already a league of its own. that's what happens when you bring parachute observers like alan richardson and let him run his mouth off. i hope he just sticks to his official business here and train pro refs to officiate the pro game.

pachador
04-25-2007, 09:27 AM
maybe he meant adding more FIBA rules perhaps ? such as the goal tending rule

Kid Cubao
04-25-2007, 09:45 AM
for coaches, what used to be the biggest difference between the pro and international game is the zone defense--it's banned in the pros, while international leagues use it to offset advantages in height and many others. now that the PBA allows zones including the 2-3, one can see that PBA offensive sets are slowly becoming more varied than in the past, in which players were instructed to feed the post and get the hell out of the way. manuod ka na lang ng mga laro ng red bull at san miguel and see how the ball is systematically being moved from strong side to weak side in half court sets, and how they always look to beat the defense by going to their early offense with every defensive rebound and quick inbounds.

flsfnoeraekadad
04-25-2007, 09:55 AM
Eh kung gusto nya din eh gawin nang trapezoid yung freethrow box. He he he.

Pwede din nilang i-adapt yung rules nung NBA Europe Live. Hybrid FIBA/NBA rules ang ginagamit dun eh.

bluewing
04-25-2007, 10:21 AM
akala yata nila naglalaro lang sila ng NBA Live kung saan pwede mong babuyin yung rules...

AnthonyServinio
04-25-2007, 01:29 PM
* * *For me, it has to be 100 percent FIBA Rules or nothing, including the floor markings and even trivial matters like jersey specifications!

* * *And someone please stop the insanity of experimenting with the "Three-Point Dunk Rule" even it will be only for the coming All-Star Weekend!

flsfnoeraekadad
04-25-2007, 01:39 PM
For me, it has to be 100 percent FIBA Rules or nothing, including the floor markings and even trivial matters like jersey specifications!

And someone please stop the insanity of experimenting with the "Three-Point Dunk Rule" even it will be only for the coming All-Star Weekend!
Mahirap ata kung biglang sudden yung changes.

AnthonyServinio
04-25-2007, 01:54 PM
* * *For me, it has to be 100 percent FIBA Rules or nothing, including the floor markings and even trivial matters like jersey specifications!

* * *And someone please stop the insanity of experimenting with the "Three-Point Dunk Rule" even it will be only for the coming All-Star Weekend!
Mahirap ata kung biglang sudden yung changes.

* * *In 2002, the PBA used 100 percent FIBA rules for the first two conferences in order to help the two training teams Selecta Ice Cream and Hapee Toothpaste prepare for the Busan Asian Games.

They reverted to the old PBA rules for the Third Conference.

darkwing
04-25-2007, 04:11 PM
I wonder how Mr. Richardson will react once he finds out that PBA Commish Eala is planning to institute a 3 point dunk rule,..a case of a one step backward if you ask me and as logical as the now defunct MBA's 3 point free throw.

Kid Cubao
04-26-2007, 07:24 AM
the three point dunk was unanimously voted down by the PBA board of governors, darkwing. pang-exhibition lang ito.

darkwing
04-26-2007, 12:40 PM
It was turned down by the Board for THIS season of PBA, but why would the Commish insist on applying the 3 point dunk rule this All-Star game?Maybe to see if it will add excitement to the game the Board might reconsider applying the rule for the next season, but will it help our National Team adjust to the International Style of play?I dont think so....just my 2 cents' worth.peace ;)

Bennie Bangag
04-27-2007, 10:18 AM
it is VERY UNLIKELY that the PBA board will ever change its original position to vote down the proposed three-point dunk.

gameface_one
05-26-2007, 04:53 PM
Reyes wants PBA rules adjustments

By WAYLON GALVEZ
mb.com.ph

RATCHABURI, Thailand — The PBA should make some adjustments on its rule in order for its players to become adept in international plays.

This was the assessment made by SMC-RP Team head coach Chot Reyes prior to the team’s opening game against Singapore in the 2007 Southeast Asian Basketball Association (SEABA) men’s basketball championship yesterday here.

In international tournaments sanctioned by FIBA, a player is allowed to use his hands against a player on the offensive side. That way, the defensive player will have more strength in defending against the attacker.

But in the PBA, there is what they call a handcheck foul.

"It’s just one of the rules that I think needs to be amended," said Reyes. "This kind of adjustment is important if we really want our players to get use to international or FIBA rules."

The PBA only allows players on the defensive end to use there arm to prevent players on the offensive side.

Reyes said that it’s more physical playing in the international arena than in the PBA.

Hard contacts are prevalent in most international tournaments.

"The way some teams give screen talagang ‘yung banggaan grabe sa international," he added.

In the PBA, a player who commits a hard contact or a hard foul even without intention of hurting an opponent would sometimes be slapped a flagrant foul.

The top two finishers in this event will advance to the Olympic qualifying FIBA-Asia Championship in Tokushima, Japan in July.

The RP Team is hoping to gain an Olympic berth in the Beijing Games next year.

The last time a Philippine team played in the Olympics was during the 1972 Munich Games.

Meantime, Reyes said that the lineup for the Tokushima meet could still be changed.

"There’s a possibility of replacing a few (players) after their performance during the FIBA Championships Cup (Iran, Tehran). If they will improve here, we might reconsider," said Reyes.

The fashionable mentor refused to reveal the identity of those who are on the ‘‘list’’ as it might affect their performance, although he mentioned Alaska ace guard Willie Miller as possible substitute.

"He really wanted to play for the national team. What’s good about these players is that they really want to join. We’ll see," added Reyes.

irateluvmachine
07-25-2007, 01:48 PM

i agree wholeheartedly.

ever wonder why the USA is losing its grip on the world basketball scene? one main reason, IMHO, is because the NBA still insists on their...pardon the term...bastardization of certain FIBA rules, such as 12-minute quarters, 6-foul limits, (prior to recent years) no zone defense, etc. sure, these are the rules i grew up on as an NBA and PBA fan for pretty much 3/4ths of my life, but that ain't international basketball.

dunno if it's a coincidence as well, but when the PBA (which incorporated NBA rules) debuted in 1975, this was around the same time that the philippines began its slow but steady decline as an asian basketball power.

it's basically the same old song i've been singing in several posts (mostly in PEx), but the PBA needs to ditch the NBA-influenced rules once and for all and play the game like the rest of the non-american world does.

gameface_one
08-23-2007, 10:37 AM
Old PBA system stays, says chair Chua

By Musong R. Castillo
Inquirer
Last updated 03:24am (Mla time) 08/23/2007

MANILA, Philippines -- The committee that will be tasked to look for the next PBA commissioner -- to use a basketball term -- is just one man short, with new chair Tony Chua to recommend the inclusion of ex-chair Ricky Vargas.

“Out of respect to the former chair (Vargas) and because he is truly competent, I will bat for his inclusion,” Chua told the Philippine Daily Inquirer over the phone Wednesday.

The executive committee, composed of Chua of Red Bull, vice chair Joaqui Trillo of Alaska and treasurer Robert Non of Barangay Ginebra, will be joined by two other members of the board that will look for the next Philippine Basketball Association commissioner to replace Noli Eala.

Several names, including those of former senators Freddie Webb and Robert Jaworski, former San Miguel representative Bert Manlapit, lawyer Chito Salud and grand slam coach and former deputy commissioner Tommy Manotoc have been mentioned as candidates for the league’s sixth commissioner.

Chua said that the committee will be finalized when he presides over his first board meeting on Sept. 26-27 in Macau.

“I don’t expect to make a lot of changes in my term,” Chua also said. “Our PBA will be the same old PBA.”

irateluvmachine
08-23-2007, 02:13 PM
^which i gather, means same old rules?

wag naman sana...the pba was already on the right track in 2002's first two conferences. dapat tinuloy-tuloy na lang nila yun...

slugonice
11-01-2007, 07:44 PM
Kailangan ALL FIBA rules plus Tapos 12 minutes and 6 fouls limit.