PDA

View Full Version : Ferdinand definitely has no Pinoy blood -- he's as Indonesian as kropek

alberto aguilera
04-10-2007, 03:06 PM
Heard from a little birdie that this Indonesian power forward with designs of playing collegiately in the Philippines, has been trying to establish a Filipino blood connection. The story goes that one of his grandparents is ALLEGEDLY Pinoy. Funny. We've heard of his being in the Philippines ever since 2003-2004 and no one, but no one, has ever mentioned A WORD of this curious state of affairs. Next thing you know, people will say that he was actually named after our long dead dictator by said grandparent. Pure unadulterated rubbish.

If the folks over at the Indonesian Basketball Association ever get wind of this, I wonder if they will be inclined to cut the stipend which the kid continues to collect. I also wonder if the folks over at Taft will choose to invoke a Filipino bloodline for Ferdinand. Would they invoke it in order for him to play alongside Marko Batricevic? A-Ba deer, ma-LABES naman yan masyado.

Kid Cubao
04-10-2007, 03:22 PM
what i do know is that he's part-hindu, making him hindu-nesian ;D

seriously, though, he's a nice kid naman. gagaling pa 'to.

salsa caballero
04-10-2007, 03:30 PM
Good point Alberto. Assuming they're both foreigners, Ferdinand & Marko can't play side-by-side in the UAAP... Parang nakita ko na nga yan dati, "Ferdinand Marko". (Insert martial law allusions here ___________). I'm not too sure about Malabes though, because of the latter's long asserted Filipina mother...

Ateneo will have a similar dilemma with Kirk Long and Zion Laterre, actually. The main difference being that this
Atenean pair will only have one playing year at most together. Anyhow, I'm staying tuned for any updates on this from you. :)

bchoter
04-10-2007, 05:44 PM
Perhaps he can search for Samar town and find himself a grand mother like Asi did.

glock23
04-11-2007, 03:35 PM
ferdinands mother is a filipina according to a big birdie. Alberto, its krupuk not Kropek in indonesia* ;D

Kid Cubao
04-11-2007, 04:05 PM
talaga, galing kay james yap ang balitang yan? ;D

flsfnoeraekadad
04-11-2007, 04:38 PM
Heard from a little birdie that this Indonesian power forward with designs of playing collegiately in the Philippines, has been trying to establish a Filipino blood connection. The story goes that one of his grandparents is ALLEGEDLY Pinoy. Funny. We've heard of his being in the Philippines ever since 2003-2004 and no one, but no one, has ever mentioned A WORD of this curious state of affairs. Next thing you know, people will say that he was actually named after our long dead dictator by said grandparent. Pure unadulterated rubbish.

If the folks over at the Indonesian Basketball Association ever get wind of this, I wonder if they will be inclined to cut the stipend which the kid continues to collect. I also wonder if the folks over at Taft will choose to invoke a Filipino bloodline for Ferdinand. Would they invoke it in order for him to play alongside Marko Batricevic? A-Ba deer, ma-LABES naman yan masyado.
Assuming he's a foreigner, he can still play. But not side by side with Marko. He is eligibile to play whether he's Pinoy or not. The UAAP rules have got this scenario covered. So what's the problem with that? Bader? Kaklase ko yan, Fil-Bahraini talaga si Bader. Why are you making such a big fuss over some topic that's not to be contested over in the first place?

Tsk tsk diversionary tactics nga mga... nevermind!

glock23
04-11-2007, 05:00 PM
james yap??? what does he know about the affairs of DLSU basketball?* Kay manny pangilinan nanggaling yan! just like asi taulava! ;D

bchoter
04-11-2007, 05:17 PM
Mr. F, for me this is a BIG issue because there is a big difference between him being able to play as a foreigner and as a Fil-for. I'm sure any coach would want the option of playing them together because if he's declared as a a fil-for then he can play side by side Marko.

bchoter
04-11-2007, 05:21 PM
Kid Cubao, somebody obviously missed something :D

flsfnoeraekadad
04-11-2007, 05:35 PM
Then ask the coaching staff not to play Ferdi and Marko together at any instance in games. Case closed.

canmaker
04-11-2007, 05:38 PM
Interesting rumor ... Di na nga naman puwede ang Pep test ...

======

glock23
04-11-2007, 05:41 PM
Then ask the coaching staff not to play Ferdi and Marko together at any instance in games. Case closed.

no worries man because they wont play together! *after the suspension we are more careful.

flsfnoeraekadad
04-11-2007, 09:11 PM

no worries man because they wont play together! after the suspension we are more careful.
Yeah. I really don't see what's the big fuss over Ferdinand's citizenship.

alberto aguilera
04-11-2007, 09:16 PM

Assuming he's a foreigner, he can still play. But not side by side with Marko. He is eligibile to play whether he's Pinoy or not. The UAAP rules have got this scenario covered. So what's the problem with that? Bader? Kaklase ko yan, Fil-Bahraini talaga si Bader. Why are you making such a big fuss over some topic that's not to be contested over in the first place?

Pareng Salsa, Check the post/reply of this bloke. It's a Gilipoyas.

flsfnoeraekadad
04-11-2007, 09:25 PM

Pareng Salsa, Check the post/reply of this bloke. It's a Gilipoyas.
Yeah right call me stupid if you want to.

Ranger
04-11-2007, 09:38 PM
Mr. F, for me this is a BIG issue because there is a big difference between him being able to play as a foreigner and as a Fil-for. I'm sure any coach would want the option of playing them together because if he's declared as a a fil-for then he can play side by side Marko.

It's not going to be a big issue this coming season because Ferdinand, in my opinion, will not be logging major minutes. He's going to be playing behind Brian Ilad and Kish Co. Marko and Ferdinand will be incoming rookies. It would not be essential for them to be playing together. We're pretty deep in our big men rotation..

Fried Green Tomato
04-12-2007, 12:21 AM

This is stretching the imagination a little bit too much.

First, the thread is not a statement of fact. The only truth maybe is that Ferdinand has an indonesian blood and whether he's pure indonesian or not is still a mystery. With everything still an assumption, it is useless to go to another assumption and another assumption and waste our time debating about it.

Second, Ferdinand maybe is with dlsu but as of now, we still don't know the composition of the team. There is no assurance that he's going to play with our uaap team this season. And if ever he makes the team, he's not going to be an impact player and seeing him & marko playing side by side at the same time is unlikely to happen.

Third, basketball is a team sport. We do not see a ferdinand-marko tandem as the cornerstone of our team in the very near future. They are part of the team but they are not the team. I don't know what's the fuzz about Ferdinand --- he's no threat this season or even in season '71. So this a a case about nothing... and definitely, they are very very far from becoming a jordan-pippen tandem (we have no aspiration & not in our wildest dream).

And last, this is a non-issue simply because of the BIG difference in the coaching philosophy.

When we look at a player, we work not from his known strength but we start from his known weaknesses. And this is applicable also to the team as a whole; we work on the limitations of the team based froml the weaknesses of our players & from there we adjust.

Ferdinand is just one of the players hoping to be a part of our uaap team. We don't revolve around Ferdinand and definitely, strategies & plays are not going to be made & adjusted for his sole benefit... as always...It's the system!

Kid Cubao
04-12-2007, 08:25 AM
Kid Cubao, somebody obviously missed something :D

yes, bchoter, i believe the term to describe that is "S-L-O-W" ;D

nel
04-12-2007, 09:20 AM
It's funny, the preemptive rumor mill has started this early. Ferdinand isn't even sure to be on the team, and we now get this thread. No one questioned his nationality or lineage when he was playing in the NCAA, but after one exhibition game where he did quite well, he's now perceived as a possible thread and therefore fair game for any accusations anyone might care to make. Even Bader and Marko are also being mentioned, and I wouldn't be surprised if separate threads will be started in the future to cast doubt on their eligibility.

We can be sure that when La Salle's UAAP lineup is finalized, the eligibility of all its players will have been verified. Past experience has shown that if the school determines that a player isn't eligible, he doesn't get on the team. How many star grade players could La Salle have gotten if the school intentionally bent the rules? La Salle or its supporters will not manufacture credentials just to land a player. A mistake may have been inadvertently made in the past, but we learned from that. Too bad some people hope that we will repeat the same kind of mistake, or worse, falsify documents just so we can get someone on our lineup. Waste of time, really. La Salle gets players who fit into the team, and it doesn't build the team around any player. As FGT said, it's not about the player, it's the system.

Even before La Salle has re-entered the league after the suspension, La Salle's possible recruits are already under scrutiny. Why the special treatment? So, just to balance things off, why don't we also use this thread to discuss the other players who will be playing in the league for the first time? There are several whose entry is eagerly anticipated by their schools, and there are also many from the UAAP juniors who have the potential to make an impact.

If our players are going to be placed under a microscope, for the sake of fairness, why don't we do this for all notable recruits? Let's examine their lineage, where they studied and what their grades were in high school (a good indication of how they may fare in college), how well they did in their entrance exams, what course they're planning to take, etc. Oh yeah, while we're at it, why stop there? By all means, let's also look at who their parents are and from what province they hail from, whether they're married, who their girlfriends are, families, what they do in their spare time, where they hang out, what kind of cell phone they have, and so forth. In other words, let's invade their privacy and let all the choice details out for the whole basketball world to see. Any takers? What is this, the showbiz gossip page?

gfy
04-12-2007, 09:51 AM
Nel - If your Tomato wasn't so obsessed with what we do as far our team and our recruits are concerned, we wouldn't probably be having this thread. There's one difference though. The guys mentioned mostly came from the NCAA where eligibility rules may be quite different. Re academics, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. The past 5 years, we have nearly 100%, if not 100%, graduation rate as far as our varsity players are concerned. And they complete their degrees in 4-5 years on a 2-semester per year basis. About tutors? What's wrong with having them?

nel
04-12-2007, 10:06 AM
gfy,

If you or anyone believes that La Salle will intentionally accept an ineligible player, then you really don't know what La Salle stands for. It doesn't matter where the player came from, La Salle will vet the credentials based on UAAP rules. La Salle will never bend the rules or manufacture anything just to get a player. Some things are more important than winning a championship. La Salle's integrity has not been questioned - the suspension was due to negligence, and this will not happen again. It does rankle that there are already insinuations that relatives will suddenly be found to justify treating a foreign-born player as a local. C'mon, guys, get real.

BTW, what is this, tit-for-tat? Last I looked, no one from our school has questioned your recruits in this site.

And, by the way, while graduation is what all students should strive for, some who feel that their futures lie in sports may opt not to continue with their studies. Or, if the player doesn't meet the school's academic standards, then he either doesn't play until he delivers acceptable grades, or failing that, leaves the school. The school will do its part, but the student also has to do his. Congratulations on you school's high graduation rate, I'm really happy that the athletes did compete their education and that your school gave them all the support they needed. On tutors - nothing's wrong with having them if the athlete needs help, so what's the fuss? Even non-athletes sometimes get tutors. But that's not the issue here, so let's not get off topic.

Paul of Bataan
04-12-2007, 10:28 AM
teka, ferdinand is the player from LSGH, right? sorry, nakikitanung lang po. he looks very pinoy to me, though.

JonarSabilano
04-12-2007, 10:39 AM
teka, ferdinand is the player from LSGH, right? sorry, nakikitanung lang po. he looks very pinoy to me, though.

Of course he should look Pinoy. Indonesians and Malaysians and Filipinos are all from one race.

5FootCarrot
04-12-2007, 10:43 AM
Jonar - pati yung Samoan mukha ring Pinoy. Look at The Rock! ;D [/off-topic]

AFAIK Ferdinand followed the Marko route and finished high school in LSGH to establish residency (besides, of course, finish his high school education), but then what do I really know; hindi ako La Salle insider. :P

What I'd like to know is whether anyone ever put it about that Ferdinand was part Filipino. I just kept hearing that the kid's from Indonesia. If someone is claiming that Ferdinand's part Filipino and there's evidence to prove that he's not, then oops, huli, but IMO no harm has been done yet, as he has yet to set foot in the UAAP.

LION
04-12-2007, 10:49 AM
Ferdinand? *Let's ask Ogie Menor. * ;D * Joke.

I don't think that Ferdinad has insinuated even in the past that he has Filipino blood running in his veins. * *Thus, to do it now would be a real hard sell.

Anyway, what got my interest though is the stipend which is being given by IBA to Ferdinand. *Wow! *Is this true? *If it is, then the Indonesians really are serious with their basketball training program. *

Agree with Carrot, no harm done yet so it's a wait-and-see phase in the meantime.*

Carrot, Ferdinand did not intentionally follow the Marko route to establish residency in DLSU.* The kid wanted to be a red cub and was already learning the ropes from Ato Badolato but because the aspiring cub reportedly encountered a lion, he left the den, looked for another school, and LSG gladly took him.

gfy
04-12-2007, 11:07 AM
Nel - Unfortunayely or fortunately, gameface has become our site. IMO, DLSU could do more to exhort your varsity athletes to finish their education. That's what our people do in the Ateneo as far as I know. A PBA career may be short-lived if one is seriously injured or cut.

gameface_one
04-12-2007, 11:09 AM
Ok, just a reminder to everybody. No bashing pls. Intellectual discussions only. We are monitoring this thread.

BigBlue
04-12-2007, 11:26 AM
First, the thread is not a statement of fact. The only truth maybe is that Ferdinand has an indonesian blood and whether he's pure indonesian or not is still a mystery.

Still a mystery? Ferdinand has been with La Salle for this long and his lineage is still a mystery?

Fried Green Tomato
04-12-2007, 12:54 PM
Nel - If your Tomato wasn't so obsessed with what we do as far our team and our recruits are concerned, we wouldn't probably be having this thread.

There goes another assumption.

So this thread is nothing but a reactionary divertionary tactic? But for what? To shut me up? Are you saying that the thread starter had that notion when he started this thread? ... i don't think so!

Oh, btw, are you talking in behalf of the thread starter? Does he share the same sentiment with what you stated above?

And as for the other part of your post, it's simply off-topic.

shyboy
04-12-2007, 01:00 PM
Nel - If your Tomato wasn't so obsessed with what we do as far our team and our recruits are concerned, we wouldn't probably be having this thread. There's one difference though. The guys mentioned mostly came from the NCAA where eligibility rules may be quite different. Re academics, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. The past 5 years, we have nearly 100%, if not 100%, graduation rate as far as our varsity players are concerned. And they complete their degrees in 4-5 years on a 2-semester per year basis. About tutors? What's wrong with having them?

Two words... Ronnie Bughao. *Ay oo nga pala, di siya napakinabangan sa varsity kaya pinabayaan na lang.

nel
04-12-2007, 01:03 PM
AFAIK, nobody from La Salle has ever claimed that Ferdinand has Filipino blood. Dunno if the Bedans can offer any more details, since he got his start as an aspiring Red Cub, so they may have some information.

That's why it's a mystery that we're starting to see insinuations that someone might try to "manufacture" a Filipino bloodline, as well as side mentions of our other cagers with foreign blood. If anybody has proof of any shenanigans, please, please come out with the evidence. Enough with the speculation and malicious rumor mongering.

So why this thread in the first place? Hoping that the UAAP board will read it? Do we see a protest even before the lineups have been submitted to the UAAP?

gfy, the issues of athletes graduating has already been tackled in other fora, and this thread isn't the place for it. Read the heading again for reference. Implying that La Salle doesn't do enough to keep its athletes in school while mentioning that your athletes have a good graduation rate isn't appropriate for gameface - it smacks too much of underhanded bashing. This isn't a "my school is better than yours" site - it's for basketball.

oca
04-12-2007, 01:23 PM
Teka, sa pagkakaalam ko, lineage is a irrelevant with regards to eligibility in the UAAP.

Pag ikaw ay enrolled as a "foreign student", kahit Pinoy ang lahat ng ninuno mo, subject ka sa eligibility rules on foreign students, at ang iyong koponan ay subject sa restrictions on the fielding of such student-athletes.

Dami nang nasabi, eh, napaka-simple ng eligibity rules at restrictions on "foreign students".

5FootCarrot
04-12-2007, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the fresh perspective, oca! I am laughing at myself for completely forgetting about that ;D

Fried Green Tomato
04-12-2007, 01:37 PM
First, the thread is not a statement of fact. The only truth maybe is that Ferdinand has an indonesian blood and whether he's pure indonesian or not is still a mystery.

Still a mystery? Ferdinand has been with La Salle for this long and his lineage is still a mystery?

Yes bec. Ferdinand's lineage was never an issue in La Salle.

The papers that he submitted in LSGH stated he's an indonesian and they have no reason not to bellieve it.

If he says he's indonesian then fine.

By july, when we submit our line-up to the eligibility committee of the uaap and if ever Ferdinand is included then the whole uaap community shall know his true citizenship.

oca:

Yes, lineage is irrelevant with regards to eligibility in the uaap.

But the whole thread is about an assumption that we are looking at ferdinand's lineage with the hope that he has filipino blood somewhere.

And from that assumption is another assumption that we are purportedly doing it to maximize his playing chances... thus he is exempted from the two foreigners playing on the court at the same time (side by side with marko).

That's one assumption too many.

oca
04-12-2007, 02:05 PM
oca:

Yes, lineage is irrelevant with regards to eligibility in the uaap.

But the whole thread is about an assumption that we are looking at ferdinand's lineage with the hope that he has filipino blood somewhere.

And from that assumption is another assumption that we are purportedly doing it to maximize his playing chances... thus he is exempted from the two foreigners playing on the court at the same time (side by side with marko).

That's one assumption too many.

Granting, for the sake of discussion, he has Filipino roots. For him to avail of Filipino citizenship and be not classified as a foreign student, he will have to go through a process that is outside the domain of the UAAP.

There is no question that he had previously enrolled as a foreign student. Now, if there is basis for him to avail Filipino citizenship by lineage, Court process will have to take place with goverment agencies ( eg BID, DOJ ) as primary players.

Will DLSU basketball, or any school team for that matter, go through all that process and be subjected futher to public scrutiny as customary for individuals applying for Filipino citizenship?

I share the same opinion that there seems to be malice with how the thread was initiated. But the replies and rejoinders were all off tangent. Kaya humaba ang usapan na walang saysay.

Alam niyo naman basketball lang ang gusto kong makita dito.* >:( >:( >:( >:(

Jump_Shooter
04-12-2007, 02:13 PM
^This last reply by oca is perhaps the only sensible one in this entire thread. I fail to see the whole point of this topic, actually, and worse, it is slowly turning into another bashing thread. What the hell is the relevance of the graduation rate of Ateneo's players to Ferdinand's lineage?

Without meaning to pre-empt gameface_one, I'm locking this thread for now until someone can explain to me how Ferdinand's lineage can be worthy of its own discussion thread. As far as I can see, if he's not Filipino, then so be it. He can't play at the same time with Batricevic. Case closed.