PDA

View Full Version : Sam Ekwe should not be allowed on the Harbor team to the FIBA-Club tourney

pachador
03-15-2007, 02:19 AM
why are they sending Same Ekwe to the FIBA Club qualifier in Indonesia? if the goal of sending amateur players to the FIBA- club tournament is to get the amateur plays more experience, they should send Eman Samigue instead ! Secondly, Sam Ekwe will not be able to play in the ASEAN games in Bangkok sa december because of citizenship issue ! Hello ! What are they thinking? just winning in the FIBA-club tourney? they forget that the goal of sending the amateur team to the FIBA-Clubs is to gain experience and preparation for the ASEAN games in december ! sus ginoo....
unless Sam ekwe becomes naturalized citizen then sending him does not make sense since I understand the Harbor team will also play in the ASEAN games in december , diba?

Bennie Bangag
03-15-2007, 05:08 AM
dude, you're the one who brought up that samigue eman is currently indisposed because of some mystery ailment in the first place. another thing dude, in case you're not aware, FIBA rules allow foreign players in interclub play, and the teams they will compete against have foreigners as well, some of them as many as four in their roster.

pachador
03-15-2007, 06:28 AM
the FIBA-club tourney is just a club tournament where the team with the best imports win. If Harbor-Master will also represent the Philippines in the ASEAN games in bangkok in december(this tournament is different from the SEABA tournament which is also in thailand), then, logically, Harbor Master would want to use the FIBA-Club tourney as a practice tourney for the more prestigious ASEAN games.

If Harbor use Sam Ekwe, he can only play in the FIBA-Club but not in the ASEAN games because he is not a Filipino citizen. That being the case, the replacement for Sam Ekwe would be at the losing end since he did not gain the experience his other teammates already gained at the FIBA-Club.

The replacement for Sam Ekwe or rather the position of Sam Ekwe is that of the center postion , hence I mentioned Eman Samigue who is not ill anymore. Its true that Harbor-master can choose a better but shorter center such as Quinahan, but this is short-term planning. Of what use is Quinahan against Asian centers such as korea, china, lebanon later on if ever Quinahan gets to play later in the real PBA national team? Eman is a long-term project that has been shelved and hidden so many times that he is never getting the proper tough exposure. first he was with Univ of mindanao where he didnt get enough experience against tough teams then he was with lhuillier's BAP team that did not go far, and now he is with henkel that got eliminated in the last PBL cup so he played less games compared to other centers. why Eman anyway? the answer is this ---> how many amateur players are there in the philippines thats 6'10", and mobile with good body control? only one and thats Eman, and yet look whats happening to him? he is languishing, and not being developed to his full potential.

LION
03-15-2007, 07:19 AM
I'd rather that Sam Ekwe be excluded from this tourney. He might suffer another injury again, and this we cannot afford since the NCAA is just 3 months away.

Si Eric Suguitan na lang. ;)

Semenelin
03-15-2007, 08:16 AM
correct me if i'm wrong. teams in this tournament may have up to 2 imports. Sam will be considered as an import if ever.

Kid Cubao
03-15-2007, 08:33 AM
1. maybe sam ekwe needs to join this tournament to get himself started again after his recovery. anyway, it's just a short tournament. mahaba na ang tatlong linggo nito.

2. about samigue eman, my advice for him is this: kung gusto nya talagang gumaling sa paglalaro, then he must relocate to manila. hindi naman ata pwedeng sina chot reyes at norman black ang pumupunta sa kanila sa mindanao para turuan sya, di ba? ilang beses nang inimbitahang mag-attend ng practices ng national pool yan, pero di naman mahagilap. so pano yan?

3. semenelin, in FIBA interclub play, there is actually no limit to the number of foreign players in a roster. pinagpapaubaya na sa tournament organizer kung ilan ang maximum allowable imports ang pwede. so for this tournament, dalawa ba ang maximum?

oca
03-15-2007, 08:35 AM
Puntirya ng San Beda ang repeat, I doubt kung papayagan nilang maglaro riyan si Ekwe and expose him to unnecessary risk, gayong kagagaling rin lang nito sa isang injury.

Semenelin
03-15-2007, 08:56 AM
3. semenelin, in FIBA interclub play, there is actually no limit to the number of foreign players in a roster. pinagpapaubaya na sa tournament organizer kung ilan ang maximum allowable imports ang pwede. so for this tournament, dalawa ba ang maximum?

It says in the news article that Full Battle Gear in the other sub forum http://www.gameface.ph/forums/index.php?PHPSESSID=bf911afd6681b4a468fdb9b59a0736 a1&topic=1082.0 na 2. Unless there are other news saying other wise, i assume 2 per team nga. Alam ko ito rin yun team na pinadala sila Adducul with Compton and the lefty from laguna lakers standing as imports.

pachador
03-15-2007, 01:39 PM
I have heard criticism about eman's attitude from several posters in different forums as well which I find disturbing because if the allegations are true then what can I say except " what a waste of height" .

quote author=Kid Cubao link=topic=1086.msg33701#msg33701 date=1173918788]
1. maybe sam ekwe needs to join this tournament to get himself started again after his recovery. anyway, it's just a short tournament. mahaba na ang tatlong linggo nito.

2. about samigue eman, my advice for him is this: kung gusto nya talagang gumaling sa paglalaro, then he must relocate to manila. hindi naman ata pwedeng sina chot reyes at norman black ang pumupunta sa kanila sa mindanao para turuan sya, di ba? ilang beses nang inimbitahang mag-attend ng practices ng national pool yan, pero di naman mahagilap. so pano yan?

MonL
03-15-2007, 02:00 PM
I have heard criticism about eman's attitude* from several posters in different forums as well which I find disturbing because if the allegations are true then what can I say except " what a waste of height" .

Is he really aware of what's going on? Does he have a "cordon sanitaire" which filters/controls any news/information concerning him, and which also makes decisions in his behalf?

mighty_lion
03-15-2007, 02:08 PM
I'd rather that Sam Ekwe be excluded from this tourney. He might suffer another injury again, and this we cannot afford since the NCAA is just 3 months away.

Si Eric Suguitan na lang.* *;)

Agree. The red lions is currently in the process of learning a new system from a new coach. Its now mid-March and we are just counting nearly 3 months for another NCAA season.

I think there was a talk before regarding Sam getting naturalized lateron. Correct me guys me if I am wrong, Sam wants to spend his career here in the Philippines as a "priest". That time siguro, part-time nalang if meron pang opportunities for basketball.

Title of this thread is a bit annoying though. Did some changes at least

MargaretThrasher
03-15-2007, 02:52 PM
The articles in the PBL forum seem to all say that Sam Ekwe is being "eyed" to join the team. None of them say that he's really joining, although training is supposed to start really soon so I don't know how short-notice this invitation will be. Ekwe and/or San Beda can still say no, and maybe Samigue Eman or whoever can be coaxed out to Manila to join the team.

But if Samigue Eman also says no - if he hasn't already, as shown by his lack of interest in presenting himself to the decision-makers as a possible addition to the team - well, I don't know what's going to happen after that.

lekiboy
03-15-2007, 04:44 PM
I do not think Sam will be released by Kuya LION.
Takot na lang ni Sam sa kanya. ;D

Sam Miguel
03-15-2007, 05:51 PM
Philippine basketball has been very good to Sam Ekwe, he's been wildly cheered even by non-San Beda hoops lovers and there is no doubting the many positives he brings to a team. In the recently concluded PBL tournament he was second only in the stats to PBL veteran JR Quinahan. And let us not forget that he was the NCAA Season 82 ROY-MVP. He's got good size and athleticism and has improved by leaps and bounds as a player. You'd have to be blind or retarded as a hoops fan not to appreciate how much help he could provide for the PBL-Harbour Centre selection that will be sent to this tournament.

As for Eman Samigue, that boy's got a lot of good instincts and above-average athleticism (running, jumping, turning) at his height and of course all that God-given size and length, but for chrissakes Kid Cubao is right: He needs to haul his ass on over to Manila and stop listening to those leeches masquerading as "managers" and "agents" who "look out for his welfare". I've been around this game long enough to know that the farther away you are from Manila the less likely you'll learn how to play the game consistently well at the highest levels.

AnthonyServinio
03-16-2007, 02:30 AM
Puntirya ng San Beda ang repeat, I doubt kung papayagan nilang maglaro riyan si Ekwe and expose him to unnecessary risk, gayong kagagaling rin lang nito sa isang injury.

* * *The SEABA Champions Cup and the subsequent FIBA-Asia Champions Cup will allow teams to field a maximum of two import players.* I have a big hunch that Samuel Ekwe will not play.

* * *I say that the team just go out and hire a tried and tested veteran import.* In the 2005 FIBA-Asia Champions Cup, the all-Filipino San Miguel-Philippines placed Fifth, highest among teams that played sans imports.* Notice that teams like eventual champion Qatar and Lebanon managed to bring in NBA veterans in Todd Day and Stephen Howard respectively.* The imports of the other teams were no pushovers!

* * *The tournament has evolved into an import hiring contest.* In the past, the Philippines did well because aside from our talented local crew, we had the benefit of having good connections to hire the best imports because of our established pro league.* When we won back-to-back crowns in 1995 and 1996, we had Bobby Parks teaming up with Alex Coles and then Tony Harris.* At that time, Parks was in the twilight of his career but he still ate alive the opposition's imports with the help of Coles and Harris.

* * *In 1997, the Philippines was aiming for a three-peat but the PBL's Tanduay Gold opted for the duo of Purnell Perry and John McCord.* Parks and partner Kenny Travis suited up for Indonesia, leading them to Third Place while the Pinoys finished Fifth.

danny
03-16-2007, 02:52 AM
I do not think Sam will be released by Kuya LION.
Takot na lang ni Sam sa kanya. ;D

I hope Sam will not play. Sige siya, baka maiwan siya when "Frankie Goes To Hollywood" together with the Red Lions.

RELAX
DON'T DO IT....... :D