PDA

View Full Version : PBL to move from Studio 23 to the Basketball Channel

israeli
03-15-2007, 01:10 AM
the PBL is to switch TV networks from ABS-CBN's Studio 23 to Solar Entertainment's Basketball Channel...

GMA-7 to air Pacquiao fight
By Ronnie Nathanielsz
Manila Standard Today

x x x

In another development, Viva Sports/Standard Today was informed that Solar Sports had also acquired the rights for the new season of the Philippine Basketball League, which was previously telecast by ABS-CBN on Studio 23.

The PBL games will be telecast on the Basketball Channel of Solar Sports, which also carries extensive coverage of the National Basketball Association games.

kaybee07
03-16-2007, 09:14 AM
I have mixed feelings about the PBL's move to Basketball TV..

On one hand, I'm happy because other sportscasters may be given an opportunity to cover the games. Sa Studio 23/ABS CBN Sports kasi, may mga "bata" na sila dun. If you watch the PBL and UAAP telecasts regularly you will know who these people are. It's so hard to audition there because the producers already have their favorites. Unfair dun sa mga taong may talent naman pero walang connections sa ABS CBN..

On the other hand, it might be hard for those of us who don't have cable or whose cable providers don't carry BTV to follow the games.

Kid Cubao
03-16-2007, 10:11 AM
it will be a problem for those who wish to catch the games on free TV. it's just that the PBL games don't really draw that many ads/sponsors vis-a-vis the UAAP games on studio23, to the effect that abs-cbn had been incurring steady losses in their PBL coverage from day 1. perhaps this is the compromise solution by commissioner trinidad--switch to cable rather than lose their TV presence that they worked long and hard to build up. and it's only appropriate that basketballTV, in its drive to provide more original programming, now includes the PBL games to go with its current NBC coverage.

oca
03-16-2007, 10:46 AM
I just cant find the link, but it was mentioned in one newspaper that the games will also be broadcasted on "free tv". Hindi nga lang binanggit kung live or delayed basis.

Anong channel?

RPN9.

Joescoundrel
03-30-2007, 03:25 PM
Live airing on Cable TV and delayed telecast on RPN 9. Hmm... I guess that's not so bad. Except for a few folks like me and a couple of the other addicts hereabouts no one really bothers to watch the PBL live and follow it throughout.

I was surprised about Kid Cubao's declaration that Studio 23 was losing money on the PBL though, because I've always had this impression that the PBL was a pretty steady, if unspectacular, source of revenue for Studio 23 given all of the mid-major to major corporations fielding teams there. But then again given ABS-CBN's business history with basketball (remember the MBA?) I guess this isn't so surprising to hear after all.

Kid Cubao
03-31-2007, 04:49 PM
joe, a good friend who once worked in abs-cbn yet continues to keep close ties with the giant network summed the situation like this: "abs-cbn pa ang nagbabayad para ma-i-broadcast ang UAAP games, samantalang ang PBL naman ang nagbabayad sa abs-cbn para ma-i-broadcast ang laro nila. di ka ba nagtataka kung bakit binitiwan pa rin nila ang PBL?" it's the bottom line. oh well, the PBL has always had the appeal of a cult movement with a not-so-big fan base of devoted supporters. let it seek its own level.

Sam Miguel
04-02-2007, 08:56 PM
Then I guess it is a good thing there is a new gunslinger in town who will help the PBL get some solid support.