PDA

View Full Version : US NCAA March Madness 2007

mighty_lion
03-12-2007, 04:56 PM
Hey guys, anyone who are into US NCAA championship series here? Who are your bets and why?

Id like to see this four teams make it out to the final four.

Florida - The depending champion still has its formidable trio in Noah, Horford and Brewer.

Ohio - Lebron had 2 national player of the year honors in high school days. Leave it off, Oden has 3 three of those. Offensively he might not be as gifted or as polished as Durant, but his defense and post-up plays are simple, effective and hard to stop.

Texas - Durant is one in a blue moon gift for Texas. 6'10 who can play 2-3-4. Probably the most complete offensive player your looking for. Scouts call him a "physical version of nowitzki," "garnett who is more confident in taking 3's", "taller version of Carmelo Anthony". Had Aldrige not applied for draft last year, Aldrige/Durant duo would have been the best 4/5 combo this year :o.

North Carolina - Wright and Hansbrough (hard to spell >:(). Nothing much exiting but sure they can finish. Hansbrough is such a nice guy.

Finals - Sana Ohio and Texas, para magkaalaman na kung sino ang top 1 pick sa june draft, battle of stand-out freshmans. Oden or Durant.

jkad
03-12-2007, 08:10 PM
If there are enough interested members, we can create a private tournament pick-em group on Yahoo Sports.

CM_Punk
03-12-2007, 08:49 PM
I just copied this from the Basketball TV website:

NCAA MARCH MADNESS*
First Round (1st game) MAR 16* 8.00AM
First Round (2nd game) MAR 17* 12.00NN
Second Round (1st game) MAR 18* 12.00NN
Second Round (2nd game) MAR 19* 12.00NN
Regional Semifinal 1 MAR 23* 12.00NN
Regional Semifinal 2 MAR 23* 6.30PM
Regional Semifinal 3 MAR 24* 7.00AM
Regional Semifinal 4 MAR 24* 6.30PM
Regional Final 1 MAR 25* 12.00NN
Regional Final 2 MAR 25* 7.00PM
Regional Final 3 MAR 26* 12.00NN
Regional Final 4 MAR 26* 6.30PM
Final Four Game 1 APR 1* 7.00AM
Final Four Game 2 APR 1* 9.30AM
Championship Final APR 3* 9.00AM

No teams yet, though. Perhaps we won't know what games will be shown until they actually show it on TV. Finally, we'll be able to see teams outside the ACC and Pac-10 conferences. I'm picking either Florida or North Carolina (IF Hansbrough can adjust to wearing that mask; his numbers are down ever since breaking his nose) to win it all.

bigfreeze_bibby
03-13-2007, 07:06 AM
Salamat sa scheds CM. Nag-print ako actually hehe. I have to agree na mahirap pa mag-predict especially that we get to see only the ACC and PAC-10 teams. Hindi ko pa nga alam ang capabilities ng Kansas since they were also named as top seeds in the tournament but I don't get to see them often. I think Ohio State will pound their way deep in the tournament but I am not sure about Texas. May katulong ba si Durant sa Texas Longhorns?

I have seen footages ni Oden sa ESPN.com website and I think he's a good and decent big guy at this stage lalo na at freshman pa lang siya. I find him good and talented and tingin ko he can go to the NBA already after this season. In seeing those footages, dun ko nakita na Ohio State can go deep in the tournament. He can dominate and at the same time share the limelight with his teammates.

mighty_lion
03-13-2007, 08:22 AM
Havent seen complete games of Oden and Durant, nakikinoud lang din ako sa mga youtobe posts. From experts rankings, Ohio ang top seed national basis.

Whats good about Oden he makes his teammates better. Odens teammates are just average college players except sa point guard nila. Forgot the name, but he is one of the top point guards in the leage or probably its because Oden is the one receiving the ball to finish the basket ;D Statistically, there more performing players than Oden, i think Durant is the number 1.

Texas on the other hand is almost a one-man show by Durant. Mukhang kakapusin to pagdating sa dulo. Parang Cleveland to na pag tinanggal mo si Lebron, patay na. Unlike Oden, parang Tim Duncan ang effect sa team, gumagaling ang mga kakampi.

Meron ng bracket teams who will play the starting Mar 16 sa yahoo.com. Their bet is its Florida and North Carolina for the finals.

pio_valenz
03-13-2007, 01:35 PM
If there are enough interested members, we can create a private tournament pick-em group on Yahoo Sports.

Call ako diyan. Any more takers?

I, too, haven't seen Kansas play. I particularly want to see how good Brandon Rush is. He's the youngest brother of former Kansas City playground legend JaRon and ex-NBA player Kareem. I read an interesting article on the Net about this kid, written by a Jayhawks fan who felt Kansas gambled too much by recuriting a headcase like Brandon. The title of the article? "Avoid the Rush." ;D

Mateen Cleaves
03-13-2007, 01:39 PM
I'd have to disagree a little bit with mighty_lion's assessment of Ohio State. There's a reason why, at the end of the regular season, Ohio State with Oden is the number 1 ranked team in the country, while Texas is only #11. Texas is to Durant as the Timberwolves are to Garnett.

But Ohio State is not just Oden. Mike Conley (the point guard) is on the all-Big Ten Team (first team according to the media, second team according to the coaches). Fellow rookie, Daequan Cook was the 6th Man of the Year according to the coaches. Then, two upperclassmen, Ron Lewis (SR) and Jamar Butler (JR), were Honorable Mention Big Ten players as well. Plus, Ivan Harris is a solid contributor in the frontcourt. In other words, a real team. Oden may be the only surefire NBA draftee among this lot, but the other players I mentioned are definitely above average players in the college level. And then, of course, you have coaching. Thad Matta is proving that he's one of the best in the business.

I'm just happy that my Michigan State team is in the final 64. Tough draw though. First, we play our mirror image in Marquette. Then, if we win, our reward will be to play UNC... in North Carolina! ;D

JonarSabilano
03-13-2007, 01:47 PM

I, too, haven't seen Kansas play. I particularly want to see how good Brandon Rush is. He's the youngest brother of former Kansas City playground legend JaRon and ex-NBA player Kareem. I read an interesting article on the Net about this kid, written by a Jayhawks fan who felt Kansas gambled too much by recuriting a headcase like Brandon. The title of the article? "Avoid the Rush."* ;D

Call!

Let's go ORU! ;D

CM_Punk
03-13-2007, 02:50 PM
I particularly want to see how good Brandon Rush is. He's the youngest brother of former Kansas City playground legend JaRon and ex-NBA player Kareem. I read an interesting article on the Net about this kid, written by a Jayhawks fan who felt Kansas gambled too much by recuriting a headcase like Brandon. The title of the article? "Avoid the Rush."* ;D

I've also been following the career of Brandon Rush, as he wanted to go jump directly to the NBA draft 2 years ago (draft class of Gerald Green and Andrew Bynum back in 2005), but was convinced to go to Kansas instead. With his shooting skills and defensive potential, the guy's got top-10 talent, but at times tends to disappear, and is reluctant to be the go-to guy for the Kansas team that's full of potential NBA players. I can see them being like UConn Huskies last March, a team that had 4 first rounders on its roster, but was defeated by George Mason in the NCAA tournament. We'll see if the Jayhawks have the mental toughness as a team to make it to the Final Four, and possibly win it all.

pio_valenz
03-13-2007, 04:41 PM
^The article I read mentioned that the only reason Brandon decided to attend Kansas was because he seemed headed to the NBDL if he had declared for the pros straight out of high school. I've followed the careers of his older brothers JaRon and Kareem, and the debate a few years ago was which of his brothers' lives Brandon would follow.

JaRon was a can't-miss prospect coming out of high school in 1998, a playground legend whom scouts believed would be a surefire star in the NBA. But he had a forgettable collegiate stint in UCLA, becoming an alcoholic and believing too much in his own hype. He was suspended for 24 games in his rookie season, then got injured in his sophomore season. Despite his lack of exposure, he applied for the 2000 draft because he felt he was certainly more talented than all the other draft applicants. Of course, he went undrafted. Prior to the draft, an NBA team invited him for a private workout, but it was cut short because he showed up with a hangover. He drifted from minor league to minor league before being invted to the Seattle Sonics' training camp in 2002, where he was the last cut. After that I don't know if he was able to play anywhere else. I googled his name a few months ago, but he didn't turn up in any active team roster.

Kareem was billed the anti-JaRon: low-key, not too flashy (although not as talented), and with enough smarts to stay in college (at Mizzou) for three to work on his game. It was KAreem who would become a first-round draft pick (by the Lakers in 2003), but apparently he also has some attitude problems as evidenced by the fact that Charlotte cut him in midseason last year due to conduct detrimental to the team. He's now playing in some European league.

john_paul_manahan
03-13-2007, 04:57 PM
This is the year of the Freshman...

Oden, Durant, the Wrights (Julian and Brandin), etc...

Kansas is good. it remains to be seen if Bill Self can take them there.

Teams i would look out for:

Winthrop and Davidson: 2 mid-majors who can whoop it up.

Texas A&M: Acie Law IV...

My Final Four: Gators, Hoyas, Texas A&M, UCLA.

mighty_lion
03-13-2007, 06:32 PM

Sige pangatlo ako. Ilan ba dapat?

john_paul_manahan
03-13-2007, 06:55 PM
count me in...

mighty_lion
03-14-2007, 10:39 AM
Guys here are some of the schedules I got from BTV website.

March 16 7am Ohio St. vs. Central Conn St.
Magpapalate ako sa office para mapanoud si Mighty Greg Oden* ;D

March 17 10am Texas vs. New Mexico
No friday gimmick muna para sigurado gising sa Saturday. Gotta see how fantastic Durant play!!!* :o

So far apat palang yung nagconfirm on jkads proposal. Meron pa bang iba?
1. jkad
2. Pio_valenz
3. mighty_lion
4. john_paul_manahan

JonarSabilano
03-14-2007, 11:42 AM
Guys here are some of the schedules I got from BTV website.

March 16 7am Ohio St. vs. Central Conn St.
Magpapalate ako sa office para mapanoud si Mighty Greg Oden* ;D

March 17 10am Texas vs. New Mexico
No friday gimmick muna para sigurado gising sa Saturday. Gotta see how fantastic Durant play!!!* :o

So far apat palang yung nagconfirm on jkads proposal. Meron pa bang iba?
1. jkad
2. Pio_valenz
3. mighty_lion
4. john_paul_manahan

Count me in.

CM_Punk
03-14-2007, 12:18 PM
Last time I watched Oden and Durant play was during the McDonald's High School All-Star Game last year, shown on ESPN. Even back then, they were dominating the competition already, so it should be good to see them finally play in the NCAA tournment. Might have to catch the replay, though, as my mornings are booked already.

mighty_lion
03-14-2007, 12:29 PM
Recounting.
1. jkad
2. Pio_valenz
3. mighty_lion
4. john_paul_manahan
5. JonarSabilano

CM_Punk
03-16-2007, 11:35 AM
Duke lost to VCU, 79-77 on a last second jumper. First time the Blue Devils lost in the first round since 1996.
Oden and OSU also advanced, beating CCSU as expected.*

JonarSabilano
03-16-2007, 11:58 AM
Duke lost to VCU, 79-77 on a last second jumper. First time the Blue Devils lost in the first round since 1996.
Oden and OSU also advanced, beating CCSU as expected.*

I felt the whole season that this year's Duke team is the weakest in recent memory. I felt, too, that they deserved an 8-seed instead of sixth. Could VCU be this year's George Mason?

Kid Cubao
03-16-2007, 12:03 PM
it's their inability to close games that summarized duke's 2006-07 season. ilang beses silang natalo sa dikit na laban, at nahihirapan silang humabol pag nalamangan. minsan nga, lamang na sila, nahahabol pa ng kalaban.

Mateen Cleaves
03-16-2007, 04:06 PM
^That could be because the Celtics (;)) are a very young team. Mostly sophs and freshmen. Nelson is the only significant older player -- and he's just a junior, as well!

P.s. Speaking of Celtics, did Gerald Henderson play today?

mighty_lion
03-16-2007, 07:34 PM
Even before the season started, Coach K is already amenable that thier current roster is far away from the previous those in previous years. Gud luck for them next season na lang, sayang.

Ohio did the most convincing win today. Thier opponents got punished both by by 3pt sniping and inside games Ohio. Greg Oden the Man did couple of monter dunks against his defender. He's tough, very athletic :o

Durant naman bukas. ;D

john_paul_manahan
03-17-2007, 01:52 AM
Duke - VCU: the Devils' lack of a real go-to-guy killed them. kudos to the VCU guys, espcially Maynor.

OSU - CCSU: we have not seen what Greg Oden can do.

Xavier - BYU: stong guard play, let by the Sooner tranfer Drew Lavender

Stanford - Louisville: i saw how they pressed Stanford into submission

My bracket: 2 sweet 16 teams out (ODU, Oral Roberts), missed out on (Gonzaga, Texas Tech, Stanford, BYU)

go_flames_go
03-17-2007, 02:04 AM
That was a disappointing (unless you're a Tar Heel fan) game for the Blue Devils. I agree that it wasn't surprising at all. Top seeds usually have their way in the early rounds but there's always that chance for an upset. Think last years George Mason (I wonder if there's going to be one this year). Anyway, now that my team (Duke) is out, here WAS my final four wishlist:

Georgetown in the East, Texas A&M in the South, Gonzaga in the West and Maryland in the Midwest

I said "WAS" because the Zags are now out. Sayang. The Hoosiers really dominated that game. I think they'll have a hard time in the next round, though, against Pac-10 champs UCLA.

Did you guys see the Michigan State - Marquette game? Naalala ko yung Terry Saldana injury. MSU center Idong Ibok dislocated his elbow tapos kita mo yung buto. Sakit nun!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing top seeds (Florida, Ohio St. etc.) fall although this is very unlikely.

john_paul_manahan
03-17-2007, 07:58 AM
the pressure is off Winthrop.... they finally beat the Irish.

Nevada survives OT... and.... Tennessee beat Long Beach State 121-86. Yes... that is the final score.

Mateen Cleaves
03-17-2007, 10:22 AM
Did you guys see the Michigan State - Marquette game? Naalala ko yung Terry Saldana injury. MSU center Idong Ibok dislocated his elbow tapos kita mo yung buto. Sakit nun!

It looked worse than it actually was. They popped the elbow back in, but nothing appears to have been broken or fractured. He'll be out 2-4 weeks.

BTW, Big 10 teams quietly went 5-1 (just two points away from 6-0) in the first round! :)

go_flames_go
03-17-2007, 01:25 PM
^ Oo nga. Sayang yung lamang ng Illinois. It would have been 6-0 for Big 10 teams but you gotta give it to Virginia Tech. Ganda rin ng habol nila down 13.

Here's my count so far (hope i didn't miss any)

Big 10: 5-1 (with Illinois out)
Big 12: 3-1 (with Texas Tech out)
Pac 10: 4-2 (with Stanford and Arizona out)
SEC: 4-1 (with Arkansas out)
ACC: 5-2 (with Duke and Georgia Tech out)
Big East: 3-3 (with Notre Dame, Marquette and Villanova out)

john_paul_manahan
03-17-2007, 01:32 PM
a relatively decent record for the BCS peeps...

mighty_lion
03-17-2007, 01:49 PM
Texas won. But havent seen a good highlight from durant. He scored 20+ points though. Mukhang kakaining yung team nila sa second round. His teammates are not really that good to make thier team a championship caliber.

go_flames_go
03-18-2007, 01:10 AM
^ Texas will have their hands fulls with USC this Sunday but I think they can make it past the Trojans in this round. I think it's going to be Texas - UNC in the next round and mukang dyan na sila mahihirapan.

It's not going to be easy for the Longhorns though as the Trojans have been playing with a lot of confidence. Maganda yung nilalaro ng Freshman nilang si Taj Gibson plus they have PAC-10 leading scorer Nick Young. Tapos it looks like the Trojans are going beyond College Football with news that they'll get No. 1 High School recruit O.J. Mayo next year.

CM_Punk
03-19-2007, 08:05 AM
Say goodbye to Durant and Texas, as USC was able to get past the Longhorns and into the Sweet 16. Now, the NBA draft is up next for Durant. The only question that remains is if he'll be the #1 pick of the draft, or will it be Greg Oden, if he'll also declare.

LION
03-19-2007, 09:23 AM
^ Durant's team is weak and is not really expected to stay long in contention, notwithstanding Durant's all-around brilliance. It was just a matter of time for Texas to get eliminated.

I think Durant should stay for at least one more year in college. He needs to bulk up and learn how to play strong. He's not yet ripe for the pros.

CM_Punk
03-24-2007, 06:51 PM
Almost all the #1 and #2 seeds are still alive in the Final Eight. The teams are evenly matched, and it would be quite the sight to see the four top-seeded teams (UNC, Ohio St., Florida, Kansas) to reach the Final Four :)

go_flames_go
03-25-2007, 03:21 AM
Oh boy, that was one crazy Division 2 Championship game. Barton with 2 Steals in less than 1 minute to come from behind. Iba talaga college hoops* ;D Looking forward to an exciting afternoon of basketball

john_paul_manahan
03-25-2007, 11:12 AM
half of the Final 4 cast is complete.

UCLA and Ohio State advance.

Florida vs Oregon and Georgetown vs North Carolina tomorrow

mighty_lion
03-25-2007, 11:44 PM
Here is my final four in mind:
1. Ohio
2. UCLA
3. Florida
4. UNC (georgetown is good, i just have a feeling that UNC will knock them out)

Some notes:
a. Its hard to hell who will be the champion amongst the 4. My guess is its UNC (based on depth, sytem and how they run the offense). I love how they run their offense, ang bilis. I wont argue that Oden and Durant are the top two pick, but Brandan Wright is awesome near the basket. Parang Marion. Its just very amazing how they run the ball once they have the possession, parang paghawak na nila ang bola, wag kana kumirap, mabilis ang mga pangyayari.
b. Oden has been struggling from foul trouble for the last two games, the team who can take him to foul trouble benefits the most.

CM_Punk
03-26-2007, 07:58 AM
Final Four is now set- UCLA vs Florida, Georgetown vs Ohio.

I'm picking Florida to repeat as champs, as they can beat UCLA in the semis, just like in last year's Final game. The other semis game will feature the two 7-footers going at it, Oden and Roy Hibbert. I expect Jeff Green to have a good game as well.

john_paul_manahan
03-26-2007, 03:55 PM
3 out of my 4 made it (damn you memphis... you knocked out a&m)

ucla gets vengeance, but the hoyas will win

go_flames_go
03-26-2007, 11:26 PM
Only 1 (Hoyas) of my original 4 made it so I hope Georgetown goes all the way. I think the last time they made it this far was in the mid 80s with Ewing (I could be wrong).

Most of the analysis and articles online point to a Florida - Ohio State finals (payback for the football finals?) but with college ball you'll never know.

CM_Punk
04-01-2007, 04:07 PM
The whole Durant vs Oden debate should now be over, as clearly, Oden is definitely worthy of being the #1 pick in the NBA draft this June, with Ohio State now in the Finals.

I know Florida was able to beat Ohio St. last December (86-60) with Noah and Horford dominating the frontcourt, but with the formerly broken right wrist of Oden almost back to full strength for this matchup, it should be a closer game this time to determine who wants the championship more.

MonL
04-02-2007, 02:17 PM
The whole Durant vs Oden debate should now be over, as clearly, Oden is definitely worthy of being the #1 pick in the NBA draft this June, with Ohio State now in the Finals.

I know Florida was able to beat Ohio St. last December (86-60) with Noah and Horford dominating the frontcourt, but with the formerly broken right wrist of Oden almost back to full strength for this matchup, it should be a closer game this time to determine who wants the championship more.

There's a new debate being brewed: Can Florida beat the bottom echelon NBA teams like Boston and Memphis?
Opinions range from Florida being competitive enough to beat them to Mark Cuban's response that anyone thnking that is sniffing dope and that the bottom tier NBA teams can beat the Gators by 50.

LION
04-02-2007, 02:33 PM
Absurd. Just because Boston is near the bottom of the NBA rankings does not mean that the best NCAA team can beat the Celtics.

Florida vs. Celtics? I will give the Gators a +30 headstart and that margin will be gone before end of the first half.

salsa caballero
04-02-2007, 04:16 PM
^ I'd only agree with you if a lottery pick weren't at stake ;)

mighty_lion
04-02-2007, 04:30 PM
No way Florida beats Boston or Memphis in a game. *???

Now thats its Florida vs Ohio in the Finals, who are your bets? Hirap mag-predict kasi isang game lang at hindi series kahit man lang best of 3. Just a note though, Ohio's opponents in the last three games has been on a strategy taking Oden into early foul trouble. In the game against Georgetown, Ohio simply shocased them they can play with and without Oden. I was thinking they are using wrong strategy then in beating Ohio. Its not Oden but Conley (the PG) that they should have got into early foul trouble.

LION
04-02-2007, 04:51 PM
^ I'd only agree with you if a lottery pick weren't at stake* ;)

;D ;D

But I agree that the Celtics will be in the playoffs next season even if they don't get Oden or Durant. Bad luck hounded the Celtics this season despite their shamrock.

If Pierce, Jefferson, West, Green, Szerbiak and the rest stay healty next season, I think they will be in the playoffs.

MonL
04-02-2007, 04:53 PM

;D* *;D*

But I agree that the Celtics will be in the playoffs next season even if they don't get Oden or Durant.* Bad luck hounded the Celtics this season despite their shamrock.

If Pierce, Jefferson, West, Green, Szerbiak and the rest stay healty next season, I think they will be in the playoffs.

How deep in the playoffs is the question. As it is they are really a doughnut team. Perk is really a 4 or a backup 5.

MonL
04-02-2007, 04:54 PM
double post

LION
04-02-2007, 04:57 PM

;D* *;D*

But I agree that the Celtics will be in the playoffs next season even if they don't get Oden or Durant.* Bad luck hounded the Celtics this season despite their shamrock.

How deep* in the playoffs is the question. As it is they are really a doughnut team. Perk is really a 4 or a backup 5.

Sayang kasi si Candyman. The big guy's a dud. Now, if they can get Oden and he learns to to manage his fouls..... :)

Joescoundrel
04-02-2007, 04:58 PM
Its the Gators versus the Buckeyes, Noah versus Oden in my much hoped for NCAA National Finals game.

I want Florida to win and repeat.

But my better instincts know that Ohio State will take this away in the neighborhood of 65-60 or 68-61. Oden gets 15 points and 10 boards while Noah gets 12 and 11.

As for Boston versus Florida, jesus ainge christ, Boston pulls away 56-21 midway through the first half and never looks back for the 121-55 win.

john_paul_manahan
04-02-2007, 05:02 PM
they may just go small with al jefferson at the 5 and perkins or ryan gomes at the 4.

anyhow, gators will win.

LION
04-02-2007, 05:44 PM
anyhow, gators will win.

against boston or ohio? sensiya ka na, naghalo halo na ang usapan. :)

bigfreeze_bibby
04-03-2007, 10:01 AM
Gators are 5-of-7 from the three point range and Florida leads by 11 in the first half, 3:47 remaining, 33-22.

LION
04-03-2007, 10:15 AM
This is great bfb. Office slaves like me always appreciate on-line updates like this. :)

MonL
04-03-2007, 10:45 AM
Greg Oden now has 17 pts on 3 of 5 layups, 1 of 4 jumpers and 4 of 4 dunks. But Florida still leads, 49-40, 14:44 in 2nd half.

MonL
04-03-2007, 11:03 AM
Buckeyes shooting terribly from 3-pt land, 2-17 va 8-15 for Florida.

Gators up, 64-54, 7:55 left.

JonarSabilano
04-03-2007, 11:06 AM
Greg Oden* now has 17 pts on 3 of 5 layups, 1 of 4 jumpers and 4 of 4 dunks. But Florida still leads, 49-40, 14:44 in 2nd half.

It's Florida 75 - Ohio St 65 with 1:33 to go. Looks like they're letting Greg Oden have his way inside with Joakim Noah in foul trouble while clogging Mike Conley Jr.'s comfort zones. Joakim Noah has been a non-factor but Al Horford is filling in nicely. Florida is likely to get its second NCAA championship in as many years.

Good effort by Oden, though. This kid will be the # 1 pick this year, should he decide to apply for the draft.

LION
04-03-2007, 11:26 AM
77 - 67, Florida, 1:14 remaining.

The 3 point shot was the biggest factor in the game. 10/18 for the Gators for a whopping 56%. The Buckeyes are shooting a miserable 2/21, or less than 10%.

MonL
04-03-2007, 11:30 AM
Congrats to the Gators for defending their title!!!

LION
04-03-2007, 11:30 AM
84 - 75, final score. Florida repeats as champs.

CM_Punk
04-03-2007, 11:52 AM
Florida has repeated as champs. Will they go for three straight championships next year?* ???

The three big players (Noah, Horford, Brewer) still have one year to go in college basketball, if they don't declare for the NBA draft this June. All three are definitely top-10 material, and I was really impressed with the skills and versatility shown by Brewer today.

bigfreeze_bibby
04-03-2007, 01:10 PM
Florida has repeated as champs. Will they go for three straight championships next year?* ???

The three big players (Noah, Horford, Brewer) still have one year to go in college basketball, if they don't declare for the NBA draft this June. All three are definitely top-10 material, and I was really impressed with the skills and versatility shown by Brewer today.

University of Kentucky is also eyeing on Billy Donovan to man the Wildcats after firing Tubby Smith so I guess that's another question in mind if the Gators want to do a three-peat in college basketball.

LION, sa yahoo broadcast lang ako nakikinig kasi ako rin ay bihag ng aking trabaho. Di ko na nga natuloy because of a long meeting hehe.

Kid Cubao
04-03-2007, 02:14 PM
haha, talo ko kayong lahat dahil next week na ako babalik sa opisina ;D

was able to catch the game on TV. greg oden played the best game in his collegiate career. he scored inside, blocked many shots and altered even more, and got the tough rebounds. too bad he didn't get enough support from his buckeye teammates. even mike conley's impact was below normal and his flashes of brilliance fewer and farther between. in contrast, everyone stepped up for the gators. joakim noah got into foul trouble, so teammates chris richard and al horford filled in and made oden work really hard on both offense and defense.

the key really was teamwork. florida won because of their unrelenting teamwork and faith in each other. however, i do feel that ohio state would have been able to steer the outcome on their favor if they were able to summon that last ounce of stamina and spring on their legs. partly the reason is that ohio state head coach thad matta leaned more on his starters, while florida mentor billy donovan scooted reserves to give timely breathers to corey brewer, taurean green, and the rest of the starters.

lee humphrey time and again doused ohio state's rallies with his killer threes. the buckeyes' inability to rotate and challenge his shots was a result of the fatigue factor creeping in deep in the 2nd half. he and corey brewer impressed me a lot.

ps: word spread that joakim noah's dad, yannick noah, was seen rolling up a toke in the final seconds of this championship game. i wonder if this will catch on like red auerbach's victory cigar. only in jamaica, i guess ;D

Mateen Cleaves
04-03-2007, 03:39 PM
Yannick Noah is a Frenchman of Cameroonian descent. Not a drop of Jamaican blood there. Mas malapit pa si Horford -- who's from the Dominican Republic. ;)

May halong malas din ang Ohio State. Florida got two or three conversions from the three-point line after monster blocks by Oden. Nasapal nga niya, but by allowing Florida to regain possession in broken play situations, OSU left Humphrey and Brewer wide open for threes. Those should have been momentum-turning blocks. Instead, OSU ended up getting even more demoralized by their failure to convert on one end. Followed by relatively easy conversions by the Gators.

john_paul_manahan
04-03-2007, 04:43 PM
i managed to watch a major portion of the game (had to leave because of work)

my thoughts:

1. tubby smith resigned and took the univ of minnesota job. (he left before the wildcats got to fire him)
2. they simply let oden tire himself out with varying amount of defenders (noah, horford, richard, #34 frosh, even brewer)
3. sure helps when conley got himself into early foul trouble. conley was the MOP of the South Regional
4. timely scoring and unselfishness by the gators. they always look for the extra pass and the open man.
5. gators' defense shutting down the ohio state perimeter game.

it looks like noah and horford as lottery picks, brewer and green ast mid-late 1st rounders, and humprhey as a 2nd rounder

mighty_lion
04-03-2007, 06:06 PM
No way Florida beats Boston or Memphis in a game. *???

Now thats its Florida vs Ohio in the Finals, who are your bets? Hirap mag-predict kasi isang game lang at hindi series kahit man lang best of 3. Just a note though, Ohio's opponents in the last three games has been on a strategy taking Oden into early foul trouble. In the game against Georgetown, Ohio simply shocased them they can play with and without Oden. I was thinking they are using wrong strategy then in beating Ohio. Its not Oden but Conley (the PG) that they should have got into early foul trouble.

No question asked, Florida came into the game with more depth than Ohio plus they did the best strategy in defeating Ohio which is to have Conley out of the game by early foul trouble. Conley got his 2nd foul after 4 minutes (i think) in the 1st half. That was start Florida rallied the game and come out with around 8-10 points lead. In that stretch, Ohio missed the defensive leadership and playmaking ability of Conley. Florida even employeed a full court press during that stretch to test the toughness of Ohio in running play without Conley. And by the time Conley was back, 6'9 Brewer is either manning him 1-on-1 or chasing him for help defense. Its just like Pippen chasing Stockton.

As the game ended theres only one conclusion on my head* *Oden >> Noah / Horford / Richards (just factor-out fatigue)
Oden is such a nice guy, walang angas, simple lang ang laro. He knows when to take the game to a different level and how to play without taking burden too much. He is such a guy that need not have to score to much, rebound to much, block shots for a team to win. To bad his teammates had a horrible perimeter shooting.* :-[

CM_Punk
04-04-2007, 09:05 AM
I've been reading some NBA draft sites, and it looks like the Florida players are indeed leaving the team, and will soon be hiring their respective agents in preparation for the upcoming NBA draft workouts. The race for lottery ping-pong balls just got better for those teams in the cellar (Boston, Memphis, Charlotte, etc).

LION
04-04-2007, 09:20 AM
^ And that is why Paul Pierce and Al Jefferson are now "injured" and not playing.

john_paul_manahan
04-07-2007, 01:22 PM
the top 6 players are leaving...

humphrey and richard are seniors

the 04's: noah, horford, green, and brewer are juniors

but donovan is staying.

JonarSabilano
04-07-2007, 03:49 PM
the top 6 players are leaving...

humphrey and richard are seniors

the 04's: noah, horford, green, and brewer are juniors

but donovan is staying.

Yep. Donovan is staying with Florida. Kentucky has hired former Texas A&M coache Billy Gillispie in lieu of Tubby Smith.

go_flames_go
05-11-2007, 05:15 AM
Interesting Mock Draft from NBA.com

1. Greg Oden (Ohio State – 7-0 – Freshman) – Grizzlies
2. Kevin Durant (Texas – 6-9 – Freshman) –Celtics
3. Al Horford (Florida – 6-10 – Junior) – Bucks
4. Brandan Wright (N. Carolina – 6-9 – Freshman) – Hawks
5. Joakim Noah (Florida – 6-11 – Junior) – Sonics
6. Yi Jianlian (China – 6-11 – 1987 DOB) – Blazers
7. Corey Brewer (Florida – 6-9 – Junior) – Timberwolves
8. Julian Wright (Kansas – 6-8 – Sophomore) – Bobcats
9. Roy Hibber (Georgetown – 7-2 – Junior) – Knicks
10. Mike Conley (Ohio State – 6-1 – Freshman) – Kings
11. Jeff Green (Georgetown – 6-9 – Junior) – Pacers
12. Spencer Hawes (Wasington – 7-0 – Freshman) – 76ers
13. Acie Law (Texas A&M – 6-3 – Senior) – Hornets
14. Al Thornton (Florida St. – 6-7 – Senior) – Clippers

BLUE HORSE
05-11-2007, 06:40 AM
The mock draft is meaningless until the lottery occurs. Who knows, a lower seeded team may get lucky and end up with the number 1 pick. Also, the Knicks do not own their own pick. That pick is owned by the Chicago Bulls when NY signed away Eddie Curry away from the Bulls. As compensation, the Bulls received the pick they used for Thomas last season and they have the option of switching picks with the Knicks this season. The Bulls will exercise the option hoping to catching lightning in the bottle 2 years in a row with their draft picks.

bigfreeze_bibby
05-11-2007, 07:58 AM
The mock draft is meaningless until the lottery occurs.* Who knows, a lower seeded team may get lucky and end up with the number 1 pick.* Also, the Knicks do not own their own pick.* That pick is owned by the Chicago Bulls when NY signed away Eddie Curry away from the Bulls.* As compensation, the Bulls received the pick they used for Thomas last season and they have the option of switching picks with the Knicks this season.* The Bulls will exercise the option hoping to catching lightning in the bottle 2 years in a row with their draft picks.*

Yan ang isang napakagaling na nagawa ni Isiah Thomas sa New York hehehe.

mighty_lion
05-11-2007, 11:59 AM
The team who will have the number 1 pick will be stupid enough not to draft Oden at 1, except probably for teams with young and promising centers which on my mind is only the Magic. As I agree that Durant is far away better offensively than Oden, Greg Oden is still the safest pick.

What Id like to see after this draft is who Michael Jordan will pick for the Bobcats and see how his third rookie perform in 2007-2008. Kwame Brown was a bust and the most frustrating player ever drafted as number 1. Adam Morrison, as it turn out to be is also a bust. From being scoring champion in NCAA to lowest % shooter in Charlotte line up. Di kaya me sumpa si Jordan. ;D Joke lang.

Regarding Isiah - New York is just like a charitable institution. Kung me ayaw ka nang player kukunin yan ng New York. Plus they dont mind paying luxury taxes for being the highest among above the cap limit.

BLUE HORSE
05-11-2007, 09:15 PM
Isiah Thomas is in a no win situation in NY. When he took over the management of the team, the Knicks had a very shallow bench and big contracts, thats you Houston. The fans of NY are notoriously impatient. Going for the quick fix, Isiah restocked the team with free agent signings. Hindi naman niya pera and he had almost carte blanche authority on the team. He definitely over paid his hometown team, Chicago, a couple of first rounders for Curry and the big guard who was injured. Those picks turned out to be Gordon, Thomas and this years draft choice.

I hope the Bulls get lucky in the lottery and end up with Oden. If the pick is Durant, I am not sure what Paxson will do since he already has Deng. Then again the Bulls can draft Durant and start him with Deng, Gordon, Hinrich and big Ben. The problem then is how they will all share the ball. This is the reason why Memphis wanted to trade Pau Gasol to the Bulls for Deng, Nocioni, Sweetney/PJ Brown and the Knicks lottery pick.

Portland's new manager Kevin Pritchard intends to follow the Paxson blue print when he retools the Trailblazers. He is going to do it through the draft. If there are crazy managers who offer him a first round pick for some of his malcontent players he would do so.

JonarSabilano
08-21-2007, 02:15 PM
I thought I'd bump up this thread now that the next NCAA season is about a month away.

While we're crowing about having one player in Japeth Aguilar playing in Division I this year, the Chinese have three of their own playing in high-major teams: 6'9" Shang Ping (Nebraska), 6'10" Ji Xiang (Hawaii), 7'3" Zhang Zhaoxu (California). Japan also has 3rd-year guard KJ Matsui (Columbia) in their roster.

Speaking of Aguilar, his WKU Hilltoppers have been ranked at #54 (http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=1146&CID=703070) by Yahoo! and rivals.com. However, I keep on getting a "Cannot find server" error when I try to read it. I hope someone can post the Hilltopper preview on this thread. Thanks!

Mateen Cleaves
08-22-2007, 05:37 AM
Mukhang hindi talaga accessible ang rivals.com dito sa Pilipinas. Try mo scout.com, but parang mas focused on recruiting sila rather than the season itself.

BTW, October 12 pa ang Midnight Madness. November pa ang mga pre-season basketball games. Football muna. :)

john_paul_manahan
08-22-2007, 02:20 PM
yep. college football comes this september. the nfl din. thank god solar sports is bringing the preseason games.