PDA

View Full Version : How about ex-NZ Head Coach Tab Baldwin for Exec. Director of BAP-SBP?

salsa caballero
02-15-2007, 03:42 PM
Chairman Manny V. Pangilinan is on record as saying that like Patrick Baumann, he is open to the idea of hiring a foreign Executive Director for basketball development. I agree. At this point in time, my foreign nominee is Tab Baldwin, formerly head coach of New Zealand's Tall Blacks.

Baldwin is rich in experience, capped by a Top-4 placing by the Kiwis in the 2002 basketball worlds. Given the fact that Auckland is not exactly a basketball hotbed, this was truly a surprising campaign that was spiked by stirring victories over Russia and China, as well as a preliminary victory over the favored Boomers of Australia, in the FIBA Oceania qualifiers. Baldwin has also coached at the club level in Turkey and is obviously very familiar with the international game. On the developmental side, it was reportedly Baldwin who nurtured the likes of highly-regarded Pero Cameron at the junior level to where they are now. As luck(?) would have it, Cameron has already stepped down from his NZ as well as Turkish duties, and is probably open to a new challenge, and we all know what sort of a challenge Pinoy basketball can provide!

I know that guys like ex-pro and AIM grad Fritz Gaston can give good accounts of themselves as executive director. However, given the acrimonious history of the different RP basketball personalities, there may indeed be a lot of wisdom in hiring a dispassionate, unbiased foreigner for the time being. Who knows? Maybe Baldwin and Chot Reyes might yet bring a victorious medal finish by the Philippines on an unsuspecting global hoops arena, more than 50 years after our bronze finish in the 1954 Worlds.*

Paging Messrs. Pangilinan, Vargas and company....

AnthonyServinio
02-15-2007, 04:57 PM
Chairman Manny V. Pangilinan is on record as saying that like Patrick Baumann, he is open to the idea of hiring a foreign Executive Director for basketball development.
Foreigner kamo? Eh di kunin si Graham Chua Lim! :D

Mateen Cleaves
02-28-2007, 10:42 AM
I don't think that the position of Executive Director is necessarily meant for someone with a coaching background. The ED isn't going to run practices or work directly with the players. He or she will be tasked to build and sustain the national basketball program. He or she must work with the different stakeholder groups to provide the organizational foundation for the various national squads. Thus, I think that administrative/managerial skills are more critical. And given the history of the BAP-SBP, diplomacy and political skills are essential.

GHRanger
02-28-2007, 11:29 PM
^ I agree. In addition, he shouldn't be one of those micro managers that we see around so often in the past administrations of the BAP.

Of course, knowing how to play basketball is a plus too. :P

LION
03-01-2007, 07:49 AM
^ In a small organization, micro-management is inevitable.

GHRanger
03-01-2007, 11:14 AM
^ It really depends. Micro managing, IMHO, is really brought about by some or all of these things, 1) insecurity, 2) need to dominate/egotistical, 3) lack of trust in the team, 4) lack of capabilities within the group, 5) major problems/contingency 6) lack of vision, 7) small minds, 8) ugali nating isang kahig isang tuka, 9) in some cases a paternalistic/maternalistic organization. (baka kulang pa. ;D)

The SBP is a relatively more organized now than its predecessor (and albeit larger.)

LION
03-01-2007, 02:14 PM
The SBP is a relatively more organized now than its predecessor (and albeit larger.)*

Because you now have to accommodate and find a job for all the key members (and their respective gofers) of the old BAP and the SBP. ;)

salsa caballero
03-01-2007, 09:21 PM
Thus, I think that administrative/managerial skills are more critical. And given the history of the BAP-SBP, diplomacy and political skills* are essential.

Actually, if you see what Baldwin's done with the NZ program, you'd notice that he's got the administrative/managerial side down pat. I'm not quite sure about the diplomacy/political side though. These things we normally shouldn't associate with basketball. Unfortunately, these are apparently mission critical in this country.

Semenelin
03-07-2007, 10:09 AM
Filipino ba si GTK? pwede yun, di ba marami sya connection sa kung saan saang sports organization? maybe he could help out.