PDA

View Full Version : After The Suspension: Who Will Make Up Chot's RP 5?

salsa caballero
02-07-2007, 03:48 PM
I made a similar post in another forum sometime back. However the suspension was imposed, and we all know what happened after that. Now that clarity is very palpable on the horizon, who do you think would/should make up the RP 5 and why? Twelve slots only, so think your choices through.

Givens/assumptions:

1.) Chot gets to coach;
2.) Chot gets to pick his assistants;
3.) Marlou Aquino, Dennis Espino and Mark Caguioa are on record as saying they don't want to don the RP colors;
4.) We have to implement/execute a Pinoy brand of play as traditional sets will get us nowhere against the stratospheric competition, ergo, we need to be able to run, press, and produce points on transition;
5.) Outside of Asi and the aforementioned Marlou, we have no other legit "5".

My twelve:

1. Asi Taulava (c) : Currently the PBA's most dominant center. While not the tallest cager at a shade below 6-9, his bulk can be of great use in undergoal skirmishes against the mid-east, chinese and korean bigs. Once compared playing against Yao Ming to battling against a tree. Will need to be reminded to pack a chainsaw.

2. Jay-Jay Helterbrand (1) : IMO, the best point guard in the PBA as well. Can run the break, take the three, drive and dish, and if need be, slash. At 6-1, tall enough to keep in step with most other point guards.

3. Don-Don Hontiveros (2) : Tall enough at 6-2 not to give away much to Asian-level competition. A deadshot who can both play defense and slash to keep defenses honest. Will be critical against Korea's dreaded shooters in particular.

4. Rico Villanueva (4) : A bruiser who has learned to run the break and join the ranks of the PBA's rim-rattlers, after being typecast as a plodding brute in college. Has the occasional jumper that can surprise. Will definitely not back down against anyone,* *although at 6-5, has to be extremely active on defense to hold down opposing 6-7 to 7-0 bigs on the global scene.

5. Kerby Raymundo *(3) : Another young gun who is actually the reigning PBA one-on-one player. At 6-6, an atypical, (by Pinoy standards), *mobile big man, with nice pivot moves and shooting at the post. Can make defenders pay with his perimeter shooting.

Bench-

6. James Yap (2) : 6-3 The reigning MVP who can shoot the lights out of most gyms. Downside is his lack of actual international experience. Upside is that he's young enough to tuck that experience in his belt. Am not too sure about his defense on the perimeter.
7. Jimmy Alapag (1) : 5-8 Tough, quick and confident. The knock on him all his life is that he's too small to play basketball. Funny how those critics don't seem to be making money off of hoops, while Jimmy still is. Obviously used to playing against foreign competition. Has the added advantage of playing daily alongside our only legitimate 5 in Asi. Can drive, draw, dish and take the three. The complete package if one discounts the defensive liability his lack of ceiling brings.
8. Eric Menk (4/5) : 6-6 Probably the pre-eminent 4 in Pinoy basketball. Has gotten bad press lately reportedly because of his penchant for sampling his employer's product lines well into the wee hours. Nevertheless, if toughness and experience underneath are required, Eric's got those in spades.
9. Japhet Aguilar (3/4/5) : At 6-9, the first Pinas-raised US NCAA division 1 recruit since the 1960's, (look it up, someone was on Russell's USF Dons during that decade.) Locally based Ateneans and non-Ateneans alike all know about his leaping ability and impeccable shotblocking. It's what he's learned, (and is learning), Stateside that will surprise. Oh, I forget, he's also supposedly put some of that USDA beef onto what was once an ultra-lean frame and converted it into some hard muscle.
10. Danny Seigle (2/3) : 6-6 A mismatch waiting to happen, at least on the Asian level. Offensively, could be Chot's biggest weapon. Instant offense if brought off the bench. Can be our highlight reel if dunks are in order.
11. Jay Washington (3) : 6-7 Last year's ROY who's slowly gaining confidence with his perimeter shooting and inside game. A vital cog on TnT's roster who can spend time at the 4 spot if called upon to do so.
12. Renren Ritualo (2) : 6-0 and the finest shooter in Pinoy basketball. Much has been made out of his lack of ceiling, but we can count on his offense at crunchtime. Ice water runs through his veins, and he's proven this in the many international stints he's participated in.

My could've beens (if it were a 15-man roster):

Rudy Hatfield- He's got toughness, fire and international experience. He's also got defensive and rebounding skills. He doesn't have outside shooting though, which I believe a 2, (which is where I have him pencilled in), should have.

Kelly Williams- Another highlight reel with board cleaning ability. At 6-4 though, I don't see him outplaying and/or "outvalue-ing" the likes of J-Wash, Kerby and Japhet.

Yancy De Ocampo- Always intriguing to have a 6-8 Pinoy-bred player on the national team. Lacks beef and strength though to battle underneath, although his shooting may compensate.

*Gratuitous understatement. Please ask Danny Ildefonso, Stephen Howard, the Korean Basketball Association and the Bandar Seri Bagawan police department for details.

BigBlue
02-07-2007, 04:22 PM
11. Jay Washington (3) : 6-7 Last year's ROY who's slowly gaining confidence with his perimeter shooting and inside game. A vital cog on TnT's roster who can spend time at the 4 spot if called upon to do so.

correct me if i'm wrong, but wasnt last year's ROY Larry Fo? about Washington, i kind of have reservations about the guy, i get the sense that his heart wouldnt be in it. but that's just me. i'd pick hatfield over him ANY TIME. the guy's been playing like a monster.

Uncle Toots
02-08-2007, 08:49 AM
you're right about that, bigblue. jay washington was injured practically his entire rookie season so he was never in the running for ROY honors.

ang sa akin naman, OK yung mga selection ni el caballero salsa. medyo maiiba lang nang konti ang selection ko.

starting 5

guards: jimmy alapag and jayjay helterbrand
forwards: rudy hatfield and danny seigle
center: asi taulava

my reason is that i wouldn't worry too much about matchup problems in international tournaments. they zone all the time anyway, so you might as well put a premium on offensive versatility and defensive anticipation.

salsa caballero
02-08-2007, 10:59 AM
Bigblue, I stand corrected about Larry Fonacier...I mean, how could I??? What I meant to say was No. 1 Draft Pick. Tinawag ka pang diehard Atenista...SHEEESH!!!

Now back on-topic...

Uncle Toots, supposing a zone is employed all game long, don't you think that a taller perimeter shooting team would have the advantage on offense against a smaller defending side? I have nightmares in which we need to defend against teams who know how to swing the ball around a zone and make the long 2 or 3. International players who play 2 like the late Drazen Petrovic come to mind. Tapang mo to employ a Jimmy Alapag and Jayjay Helterbrand guradline... :)

Jeep
02-08-2007, 11:23 AM
i recall seeing in one of the dailies that coach chot had a shortlist in mind. one of those he mentioned as being on his list is rich alvarez. rich has the height and athleticism to work both ends of the court and would merit a slot more than jimmy alapag (my viewpoint).

but if jimmy alapag were critical to the national team for all the reasons cited previously, perhaps the team can make do without japeth aguilar at this point. i would imagine japeth may want to sink his roots deeper in WKU and make a name for himself there and in US college hoops if US pro ball is his long-term goal. but, undoubtedly, about 5 or so years down the road, he will have to have a slot the way pau gasol, dirk nowitzki and yao ming are vital cogs in their respective national teams.

salsa caballero
02-12-2007, 10:33 AM
After catching the last two PBA championship games, what do you think are the chances of LA sneaking up on a national team slot. I know that previously this was slim to none, however, with the way he has been duking it out with Jay Helterbrand, LA might just be making a good case for himself. After all, he is already familiar with Chot's system.

While it may still be a longshot for LA, it suddenly seems that Jimmy Alapag's grasp of an RP 5 slot is not yet cast in stone.

Kid Cubao
02-12-2007, 11:16 AM
definitely, LA tenorio is assured of a slot on the national training pool. remember that what chot reyes learned is the argentinian experience in achieving international success--create a deep pool of national team aspirants, hold twice weekly practices to familiarize them to the system, and then form a national team on the basis of the competing teams joining a particular tilt. merong hierarchy yan: the absolute best players for the olympics and olympic qualifiers, then FIBA-asia/asian games, then regional tournaments like SEABA.

that means chot's RP 5 will ultimately depend on the tournament they're playing. if it's an invitational featuring the nascent middle east powers like lebanon, bahrain, and syria, it's likely the RP 5 will be composed of bruisers well suited against their physical play. if the best team is korea, then it'll be a team founded on quickness. if it's china or any european power that's the top seed, then it'll be one that can at least match up with them either in height or rebounding. isa pa, kung di pwede si alapag, pwedeng i-angat si ganyan. kung di pwede si asi, pwedeng ipalit si ganito, and so on.

salsa caballero
02-12-2007, 11:39 AM
Good point Cubao. Lamang, pagdating sa banda ni Asi, mukhang walang pwedeng "i-angat". I've heard some mention Dorian Pena's name pero malayo talaga. Mas uunahin ko pang gamiting 5 si Menk o si Adducul kesa kay Pena. Sa mga 1, well mayaman tayo sa ganyan, sangkaterba. Sa mga 2, ganun din, maliliit lang ka sa karaniwan, internationally. Sa 3 o 4, we have a slew of guys we can use who stand anywhere in the range of 6-5 to 6-8. Likewise smaller, but also serviceable...

Oh well, nagmimiron lang naman talaga ako. At the end of the day, Chot knows best, be it with respect to LA, Alapag or Asi...

Kid Cubao
02-12-2007, 11:46 AM
heto tanong: sakaling makapasok tayo sa beijing olympics, sino ang lima mo?

khernitz
02-12-2007, 12:19 PM
sana lang wag nag gumamit ng fil-shams.....

BigBlue
02-12-2007, 12:23 PM
i dunno bout you, but for me, as long as they're willing to work hard, sweat it out for the national team, and they've at least got the papers to back them up, by all means, let them in!

chocoks77
02-12-2007, 12:44 PM
heto tanong: sakaling makapasok tayo sa beijing olympics, sino ang lima mo?

Sino kalaban? Depende sa kalaban

Kid Cubao
02-12-2007, 01:03 PM
sige, heto ang schedule for the first three days of competition:

france (martes)
korea (myerkules)
lithuania (huwebes)

how will you marshal your lineup given three different teams, each havig its own distinct style? france is well-known for its speed game, korea its perpetual motion, and lithuania for its indiana high school style of halfcourt sets.

chocoks77
02-12-2007, 01:35 PM
France: Arwind, Kelly Williams, Jap, LA Tenorio and James Yap or Dondon Hontiveros

Korea: Asi, Jay Washington, Jap, James Yap or Honti again and whoever is our choice PG

Lithuania: LA or Jimmy,D. Seigle, Jay Wash, Kelly, Asi

salsa caballero
02-12-2007, 04:37 PM
Here're mine, assuming it's the 2008 Olympics:

France: Helterbrand, Hontiveros, Raymundo, Japeth, Asi (assuming it's Turiaf who'll get major minutes at 5)

Notes: who do you see matching up with Diaw? they also have that mala-canaleta na 2/3 makalele ba yun? Malupit ang France but if Nigeria was able to beat em during the worlds (tama?), then we just might be able to spring a surprise.

Korea: Asi, Hontiveros, J-wash, Rico (to keep 'em honest), Jimmy

Notes: nightmare match-up will be their ex-Blazed 7-3 guy at the 5, sino uli yun?. They could go big and play him alongside an older, but still effective, Seo Jang Hoon at 4

Lithuania: Asi, Hontiveros, Raymundo, Menk/Rico, Helterbrand

Notes: Will Asi stand a chance if Ilgauskas posts up on him? Who can double? I'd love to see Hontiveros try to bottle up Jasikevicius...Tall order ang Lithuania...

john_paul_manahan
02-13-2007, 05:18 AM
7'3 guy: ha seung-jin... he never really dominated though... might be their equivalent of ej feihl....

khernitz
02-13-2007, 08:07 AM
i dunno bout you, but for me, as long as they're willing to work hard, sweat it out for the national team, and they've at least got the papers to back them up, by all means, let them in!

it's the same for me....as long as their papers are in proper order then by all means....that's why i said fil-shams....if they are not pinoys make them naturalized citizens with proper residency...if they don't have pinoy blood and their papers are fabricated...then it's a shame to use them over other deserving Filipino players.....

BigBlue
02-13-2007, 10:02 AM
^the harcore basketball fanatic in me would turn a blind eye to "fabricated papers" ;)

salsa caballero
02-15-2007, 01:37 PM
Just wanted to share I almost choked on my morning coffee...an ex-BAP official, Christian Tan, actually had the gall to have David "Alamat" Zamar nominated as the coach for the SEABA FIBA-ASIA qualifiers...the nerve :p It's a good thing it was voted down, else I'd have to edit the thread title!

No offense to Zamar, who I understand is enjoying some level of success in Indonesia, but he's no Chot at this point in time.

Note to Christian Tan: The BAP as you knew it is dead. Deal with it.

JonarSabilano
02-15-2007, 02:33 PM
Just wanted to share I almost choked on my morning coffee...an ex-BAP official, Christian Tan, actually had the gall to have David "Alamat" Zamar nominated as the coach for the SEABA FIBA-ASIA qualifiers...the nerve :p It's a good thing it was voted down, else I'd have to edit the thread title!

No offense to Zamar, who I understand is enjoying some level of success in Indonesia, but he's no Chot at this point in time.

The BAP obviously has issues with mistaking the SEABA for the SEA Games.

Semenelin
02-21-2007, 02:41 PM

The BAP obviously has issues with mistaking the SEABA for the SEA Games.
correct me if i'm wrong but most of the teams that play in SEABA are the ones competing in SEA games. SEABA is a qualifying tournament for the ASEAN region. kaya before, nun may BAP pa, hindi PBA team ang sinasali dun kasi kahit commercial league players natin ang isali dun kakayanin natin. Due to time constraints to prepare for the bigger tournaments, isasabak nlng natin ang PBA players para mapractice na sila for the other bigger tournaments. Baka mali lng pagkakaintindi ko so yun may nakakaalam pakibigay liwanag nlng.

Sam Miguel
02-21-2007, 03:32 PM
As of this morning BAP-SBP declared that Chot Reyes will NOT be coaching the SEABA team in May. News reports stated that Louie Alas seems to be Chot's preference for headcoach of the SEABA team. Also, apparently it will not be an all-PBA lineup anymore, more like a 6-and-6 lineup, amateurs and pros. This being the case let's see what we have in the grab bag.

In no particular order I'd say the top six amateurs in the country now are KEN BONO, JC INTAL, JAYSON CASTRO, MARK BORBORAN, PONG ESCOBAL and MARVIN CRUZ, at least as far as their performances went in their respective college leagues as well as the recently concluded PBL conference. For now I will not include JR Quinahan since I only caught his PBL stint, ditto Sam Ekwe because he is not a Filipino citizen (how I wish though...).

In the PBA my personal Top 6 would be ASI TAULAVA, ERIC MENK, MARK CAGUIOA, JAY HELTERBRAND, DANNY SEIGLE and RUDY HATFIELD, based on their consistent numbers all thoughout the PBA Philippine Cup. Although Salsa said Caguioa declared he would not play for the RP Team, I don't think he can say No to some very persuasive people surnamed Cojuancgco, his bosses at Ginebra.

So let's put them all together:

Taulava and Bono at Center
Menk and Hatfield at Power Forward
Intal and Borboran at Small Forward
Seigle and Caguioa at the Swing position
Castro and Escobal at the 2-guard
Helterbrand and Cruz at the Pointguard

Sounds like a great lineup, and one Louie Alas would love with a lot of great athletic scorers especially from the perimeter, an Alas staple. However it doesn't look like a Chot Reyes kind of team. Why? Outside of Hatfield everyone else is an average defender at best, something Reyes cannot live with.

But this is just the SEA Games, where the Philippines has been very successful even just using patchwork teams made up of mostly midlevel amateur talent with a sprinkling of true-blue superstars. I think the last truly all-star RP SEA Games team was the 1991 team of Marlou Aquino, Jun Limpot, Johnny Abarrientos, Vergel Meneses et al; after them it was mostly midlevel talent, including that desperation team in 1993 that included the venerable Harmon Codinera and Onchie Dela Cruz. The above lineup for a SEABA Qualifier is actually overkill in this region. We could even put together an all-amateur team and still come up roses.

Consider:

KEN BONO, JERVY CRUZ, JR QUINAHAN at Center
YOUSIF AL JAMMAL, DOUG KRAMER, CHITO JAIME at the Forward Positions
JC INTAL, FLOYD DEDICATORIA, MARK BORBORAN at the Swing Positions
JAYSON CASTRO, JONAS VILLANUEVA, PONG ESCOBAL at Guard

Now there's a team that can play to a million different looks on both offense and defense and who are all used to the amateur rules.

pio_valenz
02-21-2007, 03:58 PM
Gad, let's just send the entire Harbour Centre team to the SEABA. At least they already have teamwork and familiarity with one another, plus right now they're the best amateur team in the country.

BigBlue
02-21-2007, 04:02 PM
hmm.. baka naman they wont get the best 6 from the PBA, but the best 6 rising stars, like Tenorio, Kelly Williams, Canaleta, Arwind, etc...

Bennie Bangag
02-21-2007, 04:08 PM
Gad, let's just send the entire Harbour Centre team to the SEABA. At least they already have teamwork and familiarity with one another, plus right now they're the best amateur team in the country.

not a bad idea. ba't di ko naisip yun?

salsa caballero
02-21-2007, 04:37 PM
...so much for being able to use all possible opportunities to gain cohesion.

Sa akin lang ha, an international competition is an international competition. Granted, we can arguably go up against better opposition via the local teams available, YET, these games which are virtual scrimmages really are simulations of actual game conditions at best.

Truth be told, we've been know to lose in the SEA level as well-- most recently, to Malaysia, IIRC. Eh, kung masilat tayo at ma-nose out from any of the top 2 slots? Paano na ngayon? Kung matambakan ng 100 ang kalaban, ok lang, diba? Problema na nila yun. Let's let Chot drive this ship. We gave him the reins, now let him run with the ball! The objective for now is to get to Beijing 2008. Let's send our best so we can qualify!

flsfnoeraekadad
02-21-2007, 04:42 PM
PG: Jayjay
SG: Hontiveros
SF: Danny S.
PF: Rudy/Erick
C: Japeth

time1513
02-24-2007, 02:37 PM
my bet would be ...

Asi Taulava - still the most dominant player in the PBA. big body and has the height.

Jay Jay Helterbrand - the best PG now in the PBA and has the mentality of a pure point guard. has the height and the speed to compete in international competition. however, should improve on his outside shooting in order to be more effective.

Ren Ritualo - quick release. pure shooter. deadly even when has an off night.

Rudy Hatfield - brings the intangibles to the game. may lack height but brings a lot of toughness to the team and most importantly brings in a lot of Heart.

Danny Seigle - the best scorer in the PBA has has the height to match up with bigger guards in international competition.

Don don Hontiveros - leader of the team and brings in a deadly outside shot to break the zone and has the slashing ability and drive strong to the hoop.

Eric Menk - like hatfield will bring in a lot of hustle and brings in a lot of intagibles to the game. toughness will be a plus and has a decent outside shot to draw out big men.

Jimmy Alapag - brings speed and a pass first point man. has an advantage because of his outside shot but height will be a liability.

Kerby Raymundo - one the best big men in the PBA and has a nice soft touch to break the zone.

Kelly Williams - a very versitile player and can play both wing and play a little big (when needed) brings a lot of athletism to the team and will play a big defensive role to the team. must continue to work on his jump shot to be more effective to the team.

Enrico Villanueva - i choose him because this kid is not afraid to tanggo with other players. hard nose player who is always on the attack. must be able to control emotions but still a valuable asset to the team.

Mark Caguioa - explosive scorer and can be a huge headache to other teams. think Ayuso of the Puerto Rico nationional team.

full battle gear
02-25-2007, 01:37 PM
Reyes unveils national team

By Musong R. Castillo
Inquirer
Last updated 04:56am (Mla time) 02/25/2007

MANILA, Philippines -- Call it the Dream Team.

Not because this 12-man squad is super talented or ultra star-studded, but because the Filipinos’ long-cherished dream of making it back to the Olympics begins with this assembly of multi-millionaire professionals.

National coach Chot Reyes yesterday named the members of the team that the Philippines will parade in its first foray into the international scene since regaining playing rights from the international basketball federation (Fiba).

The squad’s members are Rudy Hatfield, Danny Seigle, Tony dela Cruz, Kerby Raymundo, Ranidel de Ocampo, Asi Taulava, Mick Pennisi, Jimmy Alapag, Dondon Hontiveros, Ren-Ren Ritualo, Mark Caguioa and Jay-Jay Helterbrand.

Rommel Adducul, Rafi Reavis and Enrico Villanueva are the alternates of the all-pro team that will be prepared for the Southeast Asian Basketball Association (Seaba) championship and then the Fiba-Asia tournament in Tokoshima, Japan, in July-August.

The Seaba, which will take place in May— and which the country might end up hosting—is the qualifier for the Japan tournament, which in turn is the qualifier for the Beijing Olympics.

“We have a very quick team that can break people (defenses) down,” said Reyes, who made the announcement together with PBA commissioner Noli Eala, during a brief conference in Libis, Quezon City.

“We have players who really want to be in the team and that gives me a lot of optimism. Now that it is done (getting Fiba recognition and naming the team), the easy part is over.”

Though Reyes would not admit it, the Filipinos are expected to steamroll lightweight opposition in the Seaba championship and gain a berth in the Fiba-Asia slated July 28 to Aug. 4.

“This is not automatic,” Reyes said. “Whether it (the lineup) is overkill or not is immaterial, what matters is that you go (to a tournament) with the best resources possible.”

The Philippine team needs at least a second-place finish in the Seaba to qualify to the Fiba-Asia. And that will be a foregone conclusion if, as Inquirer sources say, the country hosts it as expected in May.

If only because of a larger field, the fight for an Olympic berth gets mighty hard in the Tokoshima tournament. Aside from Asian Games runner-up Qatar and host Japan, traditional Asian powerhouses like South Korea and Lebanon will be in the fold to contest two seats in the Beijing Games.

The last time a Filipino quintet played in the Olympics was in 1972 in Munich, where a team that included William “Bogs” Adornado, Manny Paner, Adriano “Jun” Papa, Ed Ocampo and Narciso Bernardo finished 13th.

“The real question is how well they can play together,” Reyes said of his team. “We (coaching staff) wanted to make sure that we have the best team, which is not necessarily the best talent.”

Reyes arrived at the final roster after long sessions with members of his coaching staff that includes Aboy Castro and Binky Favis, as well as former RP team coaches Tim Cone, Jong Uichico and Norman Black.

Practice will start on March 5, and Reyes said he will pit his team against PBA squads during the import-flavored Fiesta Conference that begins this Sunday at the Cuneta Astrodome.

From there, they will fly to the United States for a two-week camp early in April, before playing in an invitational tournament in Australia.

A European tour has also been confirmed for the team in June, as well as a stint in the tough Qatar Invitationals and another one in Manila before they plane to Japan around a week before the Fiba-Asia

salsa caballero
02-26-2007, 11:56 AM
Damn strong team, in my opinion. My major surprises though are:

1.) the inclusion of Mick Pennisi and Ranidel;
2.) Caguioa's evident "agreement" to join; and,
3.) the non-inclusion of Eric Menk whether as part of the core 12, or the "priority three".

Mick strikes me as being a bit slow and ungainly, although he is pretty tough and possesses a nice touch from the three-point area. Come to think of it, just the sort of description someone by the name of Bill Laimbeer went by when he patrolled the lane for the Pistons in '89-90. Hmmm, Mick as the poor man's Laimbeer??? Come to think of it, the guy was about to enter college at Central(?) Michigan around that time so go figure...(Motor city represent!)

As for Ranidel, I've seen him in action and he's plenty tough as well. Got a nice touch from outside and a good bulky, in a Malayan sort of way, frame as well. Funny thing is, in college at SFAC and in the PBL for John-O, Ranidel was always heralded as being 6-5 -- sometimes even 6-6! Prior to entering the PBA though, he was then pencilled in as a shade below 6-3. Hmmm...again, go figure. That said, I've seen the boy play and he's got loads of heart. He will play his heart out on defense and surprise on offense. His threes may well define his offensive game for us, but his rebounding against taller might just surprise us as well.

Mark Caguioa? No one doubts his ability, especially this miron. I just hope he's got his heart set on playing for the three stars and the sun. (Barangay "G" represent!)

No Eric Menk. Now there's a surprise. He's got the post defense and inside scoring requirements in one package. Ditto the international experience. What gives? Could it be his current off-court adventures? His injury being more serious than initially thought? Could it be because Chot doesn't think Menk can keep up with his high-octane tempo? Whatever it is, I just hope that once all these issues are settled, Major Pain can somehow make it back to the national side. I think that he's too valuable a resource to ingnore ALTHOUGH, truth be told, WTF do I know compared to Chot?

Now that's off my chest, all I can say is GOOD LUCK to our national squad!!! The hopes and prayers of a nation are with you...now get out there and kick some Asian culos!!!

full battle gear
02-26-2007, 12:03 PM
Reyes defends RP five lineup

By WAYLON GALVEZ
www.mb.com.ph

OVERKILL OR not, it doesn’t matter to national coach Chot Reyes.

Reyes defended his selection of 12 PBA stars for the SEABA Championship, a not-so strong tournament serving as a qualifying for the much tougher FIBA-Asia Championship in Japan in July.

"It’s not important. What’s important is to win the SEABA," said Reyes.

The two finalists in the SEABA will advance to the FIBA-Asia where the top two teams, together with 2008 Olympic host China, will earn berths in the Beijing Games.

Putting up an all-pro squad to the SEABA, according to some observers, is just "too much" believing that a combination of several top players from the PBA and amateur leagues is already enough to win the event.

Making up the RP team are guards Jimmy Alapag and Renren Ritualo (Talk ‘N Text), Mark Caguioa and Jayjay Helterbrand (Barangay Ginebra) and Dondon Hontiveros (San Miguel Beer).

Named as forwards were Danny Seigle (San Miguel), Rudy Hatfield (Ginebra), Tony dela Cruz (Alaska), Ranidel de Ocampo (Air21) and Kerby Raymundo (Purefoods Chunkee) while Asi Taulava (Talk ‘N Text) and Mick Pennisi (Red Bull) were selected to man the middle.

Reserves were Rafi Reavis (Ginebra), Rico Villanueva (Red Bull) and Romel Adducul (San Miguel).

Reyes said the SEABA will be the nationals’ first competition after the FIBA lifted the country’s suspension, so it’s just proper that Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas should send its best available players around.

"Remember that we don’t have any (official) tournament before the FIBA-Asia," said Reyes.

The PBA-backed team also need to train long and hard since members of the team belong to different ball clubs in the pro league.

Before the SEABA, the nationals will play in various invitational tournaments in the Middle East and in Europe. The national team’s practice will start March 5, although Reyes hopes to conduct a training camp in the US in April.

The country was barred from competing in all FIBA-sanctioned tournaments in July 3, 2005 because of the crisis brought by the expulsion of the controversial Basketball Association of the Philippines from the Philippine Olympic family.

The suspension was only lifted last Feb. 21 when the world governing body formally recognized the new group Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas as well as the election of Manny V. Pangilinan as president.

Sam Miguel
02-26-2007, 04:05 PM
No doubt this is a team that can score, a team with plus athletic skills across the board, and a team with size and strength at all positions. Against Southeast Asian competition this team is definitely overkill. Just one thing though: outside of the H-Bomb and (maybe) Mighty Mouse, who the heck can play defense on this team? No disrespect to the others in this lineup but defense isn't exactly something the likes of Tony Dela Cruz and Mick Pennisi do particularly well. I'm certain they'll get a lot of blocks and steals and they will be able to rotate quickly against fellow Southeast Asians, but against the big and tall companies like China, Korea, Japan, even Lebanon and the UAE, we may find ourselves having to always shoot our way out of a mess.

Take a look at the results we posted against international competition like that mini-tournament in California two years ago, the pocket tournaments sponsored by the PBA at about the same time, and the last couple of stints in other non-FIBA tournaments. Renren Ritualo and Dondon Hontiveros were the top scorers, never the any of the Bigs, and their rebounding and shotblocking numbers were average at best.

All of this tells me two things: First, we live and die by the perimeter shot, and we all know what a crapshoot that can be. If our shooters get covered, or simply go cold, we'll get buried because we have no other source of points. Second, our Bigs become more like "Mediums" against the real international giants who are agile and mobile and can actually play away from the paint. And again: DEFENSE. The likes of Hontiveros and Ritualo give up as many points as they score if not more so, try that kind of strategy against the Koreans, never mind the Chinese and the Taiwanese. We'll run with this lineup? Sounds great. Except we gotta rebound first, something we haven't done particularly well in the most recent international tournaments we've joined. Don't even ask about the offensive rebounding and second chance numbers of the competition, we got killed.

So what's the defense gonna look like? Zone all the way, baby! With undersized guards at the perimeter going up against players four to five inches taller all of hom are dead-eye shooters. Unfortunately we have little choice. Zones are the best way to mask our deficiencies on the defensive end. So the looks we give will have to vary, probably a lot like the looks Joseph Uichico gave Chot Reyes when Ginebra won the recent Philippine Cup.

easter
02-26-2007, 08:00 PM
Putting up an all-pro squad to the SEABA, according to some observers, is just "too much" believing that a combination of several top players from the PBA and amateur leagues is already enough to win the event.

So what if it is an over-kill? Yabang kaagad eh di pa nga nagsisimula laban. This overconfidence and thumbing down of our SEABA neighbors will do us no good. Tapos what if we send a different team and we lose? Sisihan at turuan an naman!

We need to win this or there wouldn't be a FIBA Asian stint at all for a crack at the Olympics.

chocoks77
02-26-2007, 09:15 PM

So what if it is an over-kill? Yabang kaagad eh di pa nga nagsisimula laban. This overconfidence and thumbing down of our SEABA neighbors will do us no good. Tapos what if we send a different team and we lose? Sisihan at turuan an naman!

We need to win this or there wouldn't be a FIBA Asian stint at all for a crack at the Olympics.

I have to agree with this one. We should send the all pro squad and announce to our neighbors that we are back. Hopefully, we kick everyone's(SEA neighbors) ass by a murderous margin.

GHRanger
02-26-2007, 09:18 PM
I believe it's better this way - overkill kung overkill.

On a non critical year, I'd agree to send in a combination of amateurs, college and pros. *But this year is important because of the Asian qualifying events, with barely 3 quarters of a year to go, we need all the exposure, preparation, jelling we need to make it to the Olympics. *We will probably have the luxury of fielding composite teams from Collegiate/Amateur/Pros over the next 2-3 years after the Olympics.

Anyway, marami pa namang international leagues (i.e. Jones Cup, etc.)

salsa caballero
02-26-2007, 09:20 PM
^^^ Gotta' agree with Sam that Ritualo's defense isn't exactly what the doctor ordered. However, methinks his outside shooting remains too valuable to ignore. On the other hand, I would think that Hontiveros plays good D. Good enough for me to consider him a two-way player...Like I said earlier though, relative to Chot and company, I know squat about hoops so I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed and trust the coaching staff to lead us to Beijing in 2008 :D

Bennie Bangag
02-27-2007, 05:45 AM
this is more like a team created to run at every opportunity. they're not going to overwhelm the tougher competition with their size, so i guess they're going to put the pressure on the defense by constantly attacking.

i agree with the observations that this team does not have the defensive specialists we need, so to speak, but if they can be trained to defend and rebound AS A TEAM, then so much the better. and i think they can become a cohesive, drum-tight defensive unit. after all, one hardly sees isolation plays in international basketball so why bother getting defensive specialists, di ba?

again, my gut feel is that chot reyes organized this lineup not so much to match up with the chinese, but rather with the koreans and the middle east powers. we know what to expect against the chinese and i think chot already has a plan against them--hetong UAE, bahrain, jordan, at syria ang nakakatakot dahil pinipirata nila ang pinakamagagaling na basketbolista sa muslim africa.

Joescoundrel
03-04-2007, 05:32 PM
Short tournaments like the FIBA competitions all over the world are often decided more by offense rather than defense. Why else do you think other countries put such a premium on multiskilled players who have a a variety of ways to put the ball into the hoop? Notice how the top teams like Argentina and Spain shoot so well, move the ball so well, move without the ball so well and transition so well? International competitions are too short, involving only a handful of games. In such situations offense will always have an advantage. Everyone plays zone so everyone else learned how to shoot well, that's how it works.

In this context I don't really mind the lineup Chot Reyes finally came up with. In a recent conversation with Coach Norman Black he said that it took them practically the whole night to come up with the team we have now, and the debates were nearly endless. Among the biggest questions were Mick Pennisi and Ranidel De Ocampo. Pennisi was apparently brought aboard to be a banger on defense and a bomber on offense, and at 6-foot-9 he'll be a matchup problem in that role for any team. De Ocampo was seen more as a 12th-man type who can do a lot of things at his size of 6-foot-5. De Ocampo won his slot with his perimeter shooting and ballhandling, something similarly sized and positioned players like Mark Telan and Nic Belasco can't do as well as he can.

Semenelin
03-05-2007, 08:15 AM
After a few months, kahapon ko nlng napanuod si JR Reyes. Like what was said above, I also question the inclusion of pennisi. after seeing reyes, i'd rather get him over pennisi. we have a lot of 3pt bombers outisde with hontiveros, ritualo, and the spark. reyes is a decent defender with nice moves around the basket. and he's got perimeter shooting to boot.

in a game that uses zone most of the time, konti lng naman ang poposte and i dont think pennisi is that quick to go after cutting players. so kelan sya gagamitin? kung may post player yun kalaban? or kung inaalat sina dynamite?

mighty_lion
03-05-2007, 10:50 AM
Defense? Kung pwede lang si Ekwe ;D. He is undersized at 6'8 for international competition but his atheleticism and leaping ability will give it a blow on rebound and swatting shots. Ekwe at 5, Asi at 4, that can control the board somewhat somehow. Plus if we rely on perimeter offense due to height deficiency, Ekwe will fit for blue collar player for offensive rebounds on the weak side. Kahit maka-piso man lang lang si Sam kay Tiago Splitter and Ilgaskaus, for sure parang knock out moments din ni pacquaio yun. ;D.

Anyway thats far away from reality right now. Sarap mangarap ;D

salsa caballero
03-05-2007, 11:53 AM
De Ocampo was seen more as a 12th-man type who can do a lot of things at his size of 6-foot-5. De Ocampo won his slot with his perimeter shooting and ballhandling, something similarly sized and positioned players like Mark Telan and Nic Belasco can't do as well as he can.

Joe,

Was wondering about that one...is Ranidel really 6-5 already? Seem to recall that during his pre-PBA rookie camp, he was measured as being closer to 6-3. I know he's probably a better banger, but Telan and Belasco seem a little bit quicker and more comfortable on the dribble...It must be his relative youthfulness compared to the latter two that tipped the choice in his favor.

Semenelin
03-05-2007, 01:29 PM
which makes me wonder, chot before said that he the game-type of princeton/argentina will be used. that was before the suspension, if that is still what he plans to use, isnt' it that telan and belasco's kind of game would be better for our team?

chocoks77
03-05-2007, 03:09 PM
It is hard to guess what is on Chot's mind. No offense meant to the GInebra fans out there but I believe he could have done better with San Miguel during the last championship run against Ginebra.

1. Seigle sitting down on a certtain game.
2. Dorian Pena sitting the crucial stretches of another game.
3. Tugade used sparringly.

I hope the compostion of this team will be comptetitive enough and all of us skeptics be proven wrong.

yungha
03-05-2007, 11:34 PM
we're a long way from the olympics and a lot of things could happen between now and then. this early i can think of 3 wildcards who might just enter the national team picture between now and next year-

1) japeth aguilar - if he makes an impact in western kentucky and shows that he's eased into his transition as a 3, then it'll be hard for chot not to give the kid some valuable experience in beijing. might take over ranidel's spot.

2) gabe norwood - 6'5 point guard out of george mason, supposedly a fil-am. tons of big-game experience. coach chot might just need a 2nd point guard and it would be difficult to pass up on an athletic 6'5 kid with skills. if he turns out to be a legit fil-am, that is.

3) david pennisi - mick's kid bro. supposedly bigger (6'10), more athletic and better skilled. supposedly a bruiser in the paint. has played in australia and in the italian serie a. can team up with asi to form a tall, bruising frontline. but is he interested in playing for RP?

Bennie Bangag
03-06-2007, 05:44 AM
yungha, mukhang malabong makapaglaro sa atin si david pennisi because he has already represented australia as a national player in juniors competition, na bawal sa bagong FIBA rules.

about gabe norwood, i think his filipino bloodline is clear, and it was stated in earlier interviews that as a kid he used to visit his pinoy relatives in the country in the summer. great player too. as fast as a greyhound.

Kid Cubao
03-06-2007, 08:16 AM
gabe norwood visited the country last year as part of the athletes in action selection that barnstormed manila just prior to the UAAP and NCAA seasons. his team played against the blue eagles at moro, and he was a blur. he practically gave a watch and learn session on ballhandling and making the right decisions on the run. nice guy also :)

Semenelin
03-07-2007, 10:05 AM
bennie, even if david is a legit fil-aussie hindi na sya pwedeng maglaro para satin? sayang naman kung ganun.

ano ba yun ruling regarding that? if you play for one country in the past, that's the only you can play for in any FIBA sactioned tourney?

Kid Cubao
03-07-2007, 10:50 AM
the new FIBA ruling says basically that you can't jump anymore from one national team to another. this is the one concession to the increasingly relaxed FIBA rules regarding the composition of national teams competing in international tournaments. this was imposed in the wake of the rony seikaly issue--as a standout at syracuse university, lebanese-born rony seikaly was part of the last all-amateur US national selection that won the world basketball championships in 1986. many years later, after he finished his NBA career, seikaly resurfaced as a national player for his home country lebanon in a FIBA-asia tournament, so one can just imagine the kind of skill and experience edge he brought at the center position to his team. later, it was ruled that once a player represents a certain country, he can no longer be part of another team representing a different country. this does not, however, cover players from former socialist states who have broken up into smaller independent states.

Semenelin
03-07-2007, 11:03 AM
oh well, marami pa naman tayong manlalarong basketbolista na pwedeng pwedeng i-represent tayo. :D

MonL
03-07-2007, 11:12 AM
the new FIBA ruling says basically that you can't jump anymore from one national team to another. this is the one concession to the increasingly relaxed FIBA rules regarding the composition of national teams competing in international tournaments. this was imposed in the wake of the rony seikaly issue--as a standout at syracuse university, lebanese-born rony seikaly was part of the last all-amateur US national selection that won the world basketball championships in 1986. many years later, after he finished his NBA career, seikaly resurfaced as a national player for his home country lebanon in a FIBA-asia tournament, so one can just imagine the kind of skill and experience edge he brought at the center position to his team. later, it was ruled that once a player represents a certain country, he can no longer be part of another team representing a different country. this does not, however, cover players from former socialist states who have broken up into smaller independent states.

We can look at our own backyard for another example. Eddie Joe Chavez, a 6'2" guard recruited for the RP Training/Northern Cement team then* along with Jeff Moore, Ricky Brown, Steve Lingenfelter, Willie Pearson, Dennis Still, Steve Schall and others, suited up for the Panamanian national team several years later.

Semenelin
03-08-2007, 03:38 PM
Sino pla kakatawan sa ating Inang Bansa sa champions cup? baka dun pwede maglaro ang mga players na nasabi ni yungha. baka pwede rin natin palaruin ang "The Future" Justin Chua. Exposure kung baga, habang bata pa.

Kid Cubao
03-08-2007, 03:53 PM
masyado pang hilaw si justin sa ganyang competition.

Semenelin
03-09-2007, 06:03 PM
masyado pang hilaw si justin sa ganyang competition.

true. i'd actually want some of our college players to go to the champions cups but since its near the collegiate season, baka hindi sila payagan. Kaya ba kung yun mga PBA hopefuls and isabak? Will JC, Bono, JR Q, and the like be enough to pose a threat?

sana may non-pro national lineup tayo na laging nageensayo for these kinds of competition. Lakihan nlng yun bilang ng kasapi para may room for turnover ng players to the pro league. para naman masanay silang kalaro ang isa't isa. naku, mukang nananaginip ako ng gising dito. epekto ata ng balita na nalift yun ban sa atin.

BigBlue
03-12-2007, 11:10 AM
we're a long way from the olympics and a lot of things could happen between now and then. this early i can think of 3 wildcards who might just enter the national team picture between now and next year-

1) japeth aguilar - if he makes an impact in western kentucky and shows that he's eased into his transition as a 3, then it'll be hard for chot not to give the kid some valuable experience in beijing. might take over ranidel's spot.

2) gabe norwood - 6'5 point guard out of george mason, supposedly a fil-am. tons of big-game experience. coach chot might just need a 2nd point guard and it would be difficult to pass up on an athletic 6'5 kid with skills. if he turns out to be a legit fil-am, that is.

3) david pennisi - mick's kid bro. supposedly bigger (6'10), more athletic and better skilled. supposedly a bruiser in the paint. has played in australia and in the italian serie a. can team up with asi to form a tall, bruising frontline. but is he interested in playing for RP?

Checked out Beth Celis' latest article (http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/inquirerheadlines/sports/view_article.php?article_id=54091Beth Celis' article):

It’s a wonder no one took notice of sensational Fil-Am cager Gabe Norwood who came to Manila last year with the Athletes in Action squad composed of Division l US NCAA players.

The Americans played against Ateneo and the RP Nationals, clobbering both. Also in the team is 6-foot-10 David Pennisi, who is Mick’s brother.

Seeing as how often Ms. Celis has been refeing to this fine website the past months, hindi kaya dito napulot ni Ms. Celis ang info na ito?? Could Beth Celis actually be a gameface lurker? If so, hello and welcome. Hopefully time spent browsing here can help you improve as a writer! ;)

Semenelin
03-12-2007, 11:35 AM
was david really in AIA?

Semenelin
03-22-2007, 09:45 AM
http://www.pinoyexchange.com/forums/showthread.php?s=3d0bda08eb07c64b3366314e0774c20e&t=294265

ayaw ni paras sa lineup. hehehe

Joescoundrel
04-13-2007, 06:38 PM
Conspicuously ABSENT from the lineup: JAMES YAP and WILLIE MILLER, two MVP's who have shown maturity and improvement every year they've been in the league.

Bennie Bangag
04-14-2007, 06:34 AM
james yap has excused himself upon orders of the wife, while willie miller is currently in trouble with the law. meron kasong kinahaharap sa miller kung saang inakusahan sya at ng mga kasama nya na nambugbog ng isang driver patungong subic. mabigat yung kaso nya dahil ang nakasaksi ng pangyayari ay ang asawa't dalawang anak ng drayber, dahil magkakasama sila sa sasakyan nung naganap ang pambubugbog.

Sam Miguel
04-17-2007, 01:37 PM
Conspicuously ABSENT from the lineup: JAMES YAP and WILLIE MILLER, two MVP's who have shown maturity and improvement every year they've been in the league.

Perhaps there simply is not enough D in their games to impress a defense-oriented conscious coach like Chot Reyes.

chief
07-04-2007, 07:48 AM
meron bang nakapanood ng game last night against lebanon. although i know we're not in it to win, pero grabe... the referees are just plain incompetent. Aba'y gamitan ba ng Michael Jordan rule is El-Khatib, ang daming freethrow nung mama... parang mga touch fouls lang naman ang mga nakukuha niya.... samantalang yun mga contacts kina taulava at menk tipong bumabalikwat na eh wala pa rin calls.

what's up with hontiveros? nanggigil yun tao. while i trust his shooting skills, his decision making skills were bad last night... baka kinakabahan lang....

i hope we learned from this para sa game natin against jordan tomorrow would give a better result.

gameface_one
07-04-2007, 09:30 AM
^^^^Kindly refer to the 2007 William Jones Cup thread under the General Discussions forum.

salsa caballero
08-13-2007, 02:43 PM
Went through the thread for posterity. It looks like we weren't too far off in our projections on who would make the team. Eventually, longshots like Caguioa, Norwood and Pennisi even made the team for one reason or another. We all know by now that we aren't playing in Beijing come 2008, but what the heck, we succeeded in forming a competitive team. THAT no one can argue about. A few missed calls and a better draw were what made the difference.

Anyway, I look forward to the next iterations of our national team. We finally seem to be on the right track, this setback notwithstanding. Too, I will bring up the need for some foreign know-how in our basketball braintrust as well. Their Serbian consultant Vlade something appears to be well-respected by the players. Again, there's the hugely experienced and successful Tab Baldwin, formerly of the Kiwi national team and Turkish leagues, by way of the United States. The list goes on, actually.

In other words, the quest continues. The fight remains. Let's keep the faith and maximize the momentum we are currently enjoying. Agreed?

Wang-Bu
08-16-2007, 02:22 PM
^^^ Sir Salsa tancha ko lang dapat mas ma-invlove din ang mga expatriate players natin sa national pool gaya nina Japeth Aguilar at Gian Chiu, sayang naman kasing husay at laki ng dalawang batang ito kung hindi natin mapakinabanagan sa national team natin, willing naman yata silang pareho na maglaro para sa bayan.

salsa caballero
08-16-2007, 06:15 PM
Tama ka rin dyan Wang-Bu. Lamang, sana ay matuto nang husto si Gian sa Oberlin. Wari ko kasi, mas mahina pa sa Patriot league ang liga nila - Div. III yata ang Oberlin - at hindi mababatak sa paspasang bakbakan si Gian dun. Kung sana ay napunta nalang siya sa katipo ng Stanford, Berkeley, Duke o Northwestern na maganda rin naman ang acads. Yun nga lang eh, "walk-on" ang dating niya dun.

As for Japhet, kahit mid-major lang yung WKU, basta umabot sa NCAA ayos lang. Tignan mo ang George Mason ni Norwood, mid-major pero naka Final Four. Tinalo pa ang Connecticut.