PDA

View Full Version : DLSU in the 2007 Home and Away Invitational League

bigfreeze_bibby
01-09-2007, 06:59 AM
As per david64's advice, the Green Archers will join this tournament which will start on Saturday, January 13. No final lineups yet were released (as far as the Green Archers are concerned) along with the game venues. DLSU might have a game against NU. We are just waiting for further announcements. I'll post them as soon as I get the information.

gfy
01-09-2007, 08:09 AM
You have a game at HOME vs. NU this Saturday at 1 pm Women's and 230 pm Men's. Next Saturday you will be at Benilde.

A La Sallite at PEX questioned Cua's defense. Who said I was hyping Kirk Long? First time I saw him was last week's tryout. And if you were referring to me Kid Cubao, the only prediction I made was that UE will win over DLSU in the Homegrown Cup. And that was based on certain assumptions. And they will not field their PBL regulars again this HAIL because PBL has games on Saturdays. And Palou himself said Ryan Buenafe is still a Junior.

Academics again re Salamat and Rabeh. Hayaan na ninyo sila. They are trying their best to remain in school. Baka maunahan pa nila mag-graduate ang iba sa inyo. Si Yeo ba nag-graduate na?

nel
01-09-2007, 09:00 AM
Off topic:
Let's leave academics out of the discussions in gameface. Let's just be glad that Salamat and Rabeh are focusing on maintaining their grades, and that should be the end of it.

On topic:
Any information on which schools are joining the HAIL?

gfy
01-09-2007, 10:07 AM
^^ UST, ADAMSON, ADMU, UE, CSB, SBC, DLSU, NU, LYCEUM, EAC, FEU and FEATI. Lyceum I think is the coordinator.

bigfreeze_bibby
01-09-2007, 10:21 AM
You have a game at HOME vs. NU this Saturday at 1 pm Women's and 230 pm Men's. Next Saturday you will be at Benilde.

A La Sallite at PEX questioned Cua's defense. Who said I was hyping Kirk Long? First time I saw him was last week's tryout. And if you were referring to me Kid Cubao, the only prediction I made was that UE will win over DLSU in the Homegrown Cup. And that was based on certain assumptions. And they will not field their PBL regulars again this HAIL because PBL has games on Saturdays. And Palou himself said Ryan Buenafe is still a Junior.

Academics again re Salamat and Rabeh. Hayaan na ninyo sila. They are trying their best to remain in school. Baka maunahan pa nila mag-graduate ang iba sa inyo. Si Yeo ba nag-graduate na?

You are free to reply on the La Sallian's post in Pex but we won't discuss it here. I'll just automatically delete flame bait posts on this thread. Thanks for the schedule by the way.

bigfreeze_bibby
01-09-2007, 10:44 AM
Regarding our schedule on Saturday, it is still tentative.

Ranger
01-09-2007, 11:00 AM

It doesn't matter if a La Sallite questioned Cua's defense at PEX. The fact that you are mentioning it appears that you are agreeing with it! Don't hide behind comments of others in different foras...

bigfreeze_bibby
01-09-2007, 11:03 AM
Ranger, easy lang sa posts. We better get back on the topic at hand. If you were to choose, which team do you want to field in this competition? Would you like to have a mix of team A and team B players? Or only the UAAP bound team? Or a team dominated by team B players plus a handful of team A guys?

nel
01-09-2007, 12:57 PM
If I had my druthers, I'd use this as an extension of the tryouts, and insert promising candidates in the lineup to give them some exposure in actual competition. At least, we'll be able to see how easily they can fit into the system. If I had to sit anyone, I'd probably give the vets a rest. I'd rather field what will more or less be the UAAP team in the FMC. Of course, it all depends on how the coaching staff want to use this tournament.

OT: anyone can claim to be anyone else in pex, so I wouldn't give that post any credence.

GHRanger
01-09-2007, 01:40 PM
I'd prefer 3/4 team A and 1/4 team B. For team A, Marko, Simon, Badeer, Brian, TY, OJ. Team B. For Team B, A. Mangahas, Mike Burtscher. I hope the coaching staff gives Simon more minutes in the game to build up his confidence and skills. Pahinga muna yung mga may injuries at mga ibang vets.

david64
01-09-2007, 09:49 PM
On the games this saturday (M & W), against NU, this could be postponed to a midweek schedule. This is not final and we'll know in the next 2 days at most.

As to the line-up, we will have a 17 man team, so we may have guys not playing in certain games. There will be Team B players included, of course. Still, you must remember only enrolled students can play, so 'promising candidates' who are not yet enrolled cannot be included in the line-ups.

We have not practiced yet-today, they just shook off the rust, and quite a number did not show up. Players are busy finalizing school schedules. Remember, the 3rd trimester started yesterday, so everyone is busy with school.

bigfreeze_bibby
01-10-2007, 07:04 AM
I'll just post the HAIL game schedules posted by david64 in ap.com.

Note: Men and Women play the same day and venue.

Jan 13 DLSU vs. NU at DLSU Gym This game may be postponed to a midweek schedule next week. Will post as soon as final.

Jan 20, Sat. DLSU vs. CSB at CSB Gym W-1PM, M-2:30PM

Jan 21, Sun. DLSU vs. EAC at DLSU Gym W-1PM, M-2:30PM

Jan 27, Sat. DLSU vs. FEU at DLSU Gym, W-1PM, M-2:30PM

Jan 28, Sun. DLSU vs. UST at UST Gym, W-1PM, M-2:30PM

Feb 3, Sat. DLSU vs. SBC at DLSU Gym, W-1PM, M-2:30PM

Feb 4, Sun. DLSU vs. Lyceum at DLSU Gym, W-1PM, M-2:30PM

Feb 10, Sat. DLSU vs. Feati at Lyceum Gym, W-12N, M-1:30PM

Feb 11, Sun. DLSU vs. Adamson at DLSU Gym, W-1PM, M-2:30PM

Feb 17, Sat. DLSU vs. Ateneo at BEG, W-1PM, M-2:30PM

Feb 18, Sun. DLSU vs. UE at DLSU Gym, W-1PM, M-2:30PM

This is the end of the ELIMINATION ROUND.

The top 8 teams advance to a knockout quarterfinals (1 vs. 8, 2 vs. 7, etc.)

The semis will also be a 1-game knockout-W of 1 vs. 8, against W of 4 vs. 5, W of 2 vs. 7 against W of 3 vs. 6.

Semis winners meet in a one game final. Venues for games after elims will be at the Home Gym of the team with the better record.

Fried Green Tomato
01-10-2007, 08:38 AM
OT: Only a fool would mention a totally irrelevant topic (certain player's defensive skill or lack of it) when the thread is very very clear. Buhay nga naman ng mahirap makaintindi. ::)

Bagong taon na... di pa rin nagbago.

flsfnoeraekadad
01-10-2007, 12:59 PM
Ang kulit ng buchi eh. Mukhang well-compensated sa pang-iinis at pangengealam sa business ng may business. Muwahahahaha pakialam ng pakialam eh.

Anyway... back on topic. This should be a better scope of competition for us as we will play 11 teams (or more?) and that is good for a team for us who is constantly needing more exposure to be in A-game shape for the big dance in July. Kaunting paghihintay na lang! :D

bigfreeze_bibby
01-10-2007, 01:42 PM
The good thing about the scheds is that we play 7 out of 11 possible games at home, so at least kahit papaano we must have a homecourt advantage here even though we don't consider that much of a leverage factor in winning ballgames (remember our 1 point win against UE in a practice game). At least, we don't get to travel that much thinking that the games are played on consecutive days during the weekends.

brian
01-10-2007, 04:27 PM
puede pa humabol ang players na may klase instead of skipping games altogether due to academic commitmets compunded by geographical difficulties.... 8) ;D

flsfnoeraekadad
01-10-2007, 05:49 PM
Kaya lang sa BEG yung Ateneo game natin eh. Baka mapaano mga player natin dun, hindi safe. Mamaya andun si gfy kinukulit yung players natin ng "Hindi kayo mabibilis! Hindi kayo mabibilis!" o kaya pag naglalaro na biglang sumigaw si gfy ng "Hindi kayo makakapag-press! Hindi kayo makaka-saksak sa loob!". Tapos nasa likod ng bench ng Archers. ;D

bigfreeze_bibby
01-11-2007, 07:06 AM
Our game this Saturday has been postponed and will be moved to another date. Our first HAIL appreance will be next week, January 20 against sister school CSB. We just have to cross to the other side of Taft Avenue.

gfy
01-11-2007, 07:33 AM
Off-topic: I was glad to hear (honest!) sa PBA kagabi that Yeo will be going back to school to finish his degree.

Fls - Di ko gagawin yun. Masyado sensitive kayo sa criticism eh.

FGT - A player's skills, offensive or defensive, are not OT in this thread. Cua is playing in HAIL, isn't he?

flsfnoeraekadad
01-11-2007, 01:30 PM
Fls - Di ko gagawin yun. Masyado sensitive kayo sa criticism eh. Sino ba namang hindi maaasar sayo eh araw-arawin mo ba naman eh. Hahahaha. Tapos magcocomment na lang sablay pa. Hehehe!

mighty_lion
01-11-2007, 06:30 PM
I'd prefer 3/4 team A and 1/4 team B.* For team A, Marko, Simon, Badeer, Brian, TY, OJ. Team B. For Team B, A. Mangahas, Mike Burtscher.* I hope the coaching staff gives Simon more minutes in the game to build up his confidence and skills.* Pahinga muna yung mga may injuries at mga ibang vets.

Enrolled na ba si Burstcher sa Lasalle?

glock23
01-11-2007, 07:00 PM
I'd prefer 3/4 team A and 1/4 team B.* For team A, Marko, Simon, Badeer, Brian, TY, OJ. Team B. For Team B, A. Mangahas, Mike Burtscher.* I hope the coaching staff gives Simon more minutes in the game to build up his confidence and skills.* Pahinga muna yung mga may injuries at mga ibang vets.

Deja Vu! here we go again! ;D

flsfnoeraekadad
01-11-2007, 07:02 PM
Naglalaro na eh. So malamang anong say nyo? ;D

mighty_lion
01-11-2007, 07:29 PM

Deja Vu! here we go again!* ;D

im actually asking a serious question. i remembered reading something about burtscher not yet enrolled in lasalle last month ata, can no longer find the thread related to that item. mark saranggay played for lasalle B in FMC two years ago na hindi enrolled.

Fried Green Tomato
01-11-2007, 11:54 PM
FGT - A player's skills, offensive or defensive, are not OT in this thread. Cua is playing in HAIL, isn't he?

Up to now, we still don't know our lineup thus, it's an OT post.

If you want to discuss cua & your other favorite archers, then make a separate thread for it.

Simple, isn't it?

bigfreeze_bibby
01-12-2007, 07:59 AM
glock and flsfnoeraekadad, I think mighty_lion's just making a simple inquiry so easy lang ulit sa pagsagot mga parekoy. Going back to the inquiry, I'll try to check this out and will get back to you as soon as I get word on this. Thanks.

Ranger
01-12-2007, 05:36 PM
Mike B. has not enrolled at DLSU yet. He still has to pay SBC 100,000 to be able to retrieve his records. This is the expense SBC incurred for Mike while he was still enrolled in Mendiola. Goodluck to Mike..

mighty_lion
01-12-2007, 06:06 PM
Mike B. has not enrolled at DLSU yet. He still has to pay SBC 100,000 to be able to retrieve his records. This is the expense SBC incurred for Mike while he was still enrolled in Mendiola. Goodluck to Mike..

Thanks ranger. Now going back to the main topic.

flsfnoeraekadad
01-12-2007, 06:10 PM
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? Ang laking kabayaran naman nun.

glock23
01-12-2007, 10:17 PM
from what i heard 200k pa nga yata eh. abangan! ;D

flsfnoeraekadad
01-12-2007, 10:53 PM
from what i heard 200k pa nga yata eh. abangan! ;D
Kasama pa ba dun yung inuman expenses? Hahahahaha. Sobrang mahal talaga. Parang 4-5 terms na din yun sa atin ah. ;D

mighty_lion
01-13-2007, 12:26 AM
from what i heard 200k pa nga yata eh. abangan!* ;D
Kasama pa ba dun yung inuman expenses? Hahahahaha. Sobrang mahal talaga. Parang 4-5 terms na din yun sa atin ah. ;D

We can do nothing at him but wish all the best for him to make good as a scholar student-athlete in LaSalle. The guy has the height and athleticism for his size, something you could take advantage. Sayang yong talent nung bata kung mamalagi lang sya sa Team B. I just hope he takes his studies seriously once he enrolls already, nakakapanghinayang kung mapapariwara sya.

flsfnoeraekadad
01-13-2007, 06:54 PM
Do we have our final lineup for the HAIL?

Is DLSU also joining the FMC3?

bigfreeze_bibby
01-14-2007, 12:06 PM
Mike B is scheduled to enroll this summer FYI and please this is the last time that I want to hear the discussion of Mike B on this thread. If you still want to talk about him, please use the private messages for your own pleasure and satisfaction. That was already a closed issue to us a long time ago.

No word yet on our final lineup for HAIL but for sure it will be released this week before our Saturday game. No word though for the FMC3 tourney but I doubt if we will join here since we don't have much player pool to allocate on both tournaments and medyo tight na ang schedule since HAIL is being played both Saturdays and Sundays.

MargaretThrasher
01-17-2007, 03:41 PM
My impression of the HAIL and FMC3 tournaments is that the people on the bench can change from game to game, depending I guess on who's available and eligible to play (FMC3 has looser rules on eligibility). So even though a participating school will submit or determine a lineup, it's not set in stone like in the UAAP that all of those people will be present at all the games.

bigfreeze_bibby
01-18-2007, 07:50 AM
My impression of the HAIL and FMC3 tournaments is that the people on the bench can change from game to game, depending I guess on who's available and eligible to play (FMC3 has looser rules on eligibility). So even though a participating school will submit or determine a lineup, it's not set in stone like in the UAAP that all of those people will be present at all the games.

This case will happen in HAIL. But I guess it all depends on school discretion if they want to change lineups every game.

bigfreeze_bibby
01-19-2007, 03:00 PM
DLSU 2007 HAIL lineup: Walsham, Casio, Atkins, Malabes, Villanueva, Maierhofer, Co, Ilad, Cua, Barua, Batricevic, Mangahas, Randolph Soriano, Geo Sia, Migs Soller, Daryl Ciruella and Rejan Lee.

These are courtesy of rektikano from archerpride.com.

Gametime tomorrow is 2:30pm CSB gym. The womens play 1pm.

GHRanger
01-19-2007, 07:05 PM
Okay tong lineup na ito. Mabibigyan si Simon at JVee ng masmaraming oras sa point guard.
Forgive my ignorance, what positions (and height) do Randolph, Geo, Migs, Daryl and Rejan play.

flsfnoeraekadad
01-19-2007, 08:47 PM
How about the women's?

5FootCarrot
01-20-2007, 07:49 AM
Forgive my ignorance, what positions (and height) do Randolph, Geo, Migs, Daryl and Rejan play.
IIRC, Randy Soriano is a guard. I don't know how tall he is, though. From what I remember, he's less than 6'.Of course, I could be wrong and will gladly defer to people who have seen more of him than I have ;D I was just passing through, read this question and thought I would be able to answer part of it.

I don't know who the other guys are. ;)

bigfreeze_bibby
01-20-2007, 10:16 PM
The Green Archers won by a slim margin over CSB, 72-70 earlier. JV Casio, James Mangahas, Peejay Barua, Rejan Lee, and Brian Ilad were the notables for the game. We trailed early due to CSB's hot shooting from the outside courtesy of Paolo Orbeta, Gary Sevilla, and the number 25 guy which I wasn't able to know. Tyrone Bautista called the shots for this game along with coach Joey Santamaria. I think coach Franz will always stay behind the sidelines for the rest of the tournament.

James Mangahas made the game winner with a short one handed jumper in the paint from a nice pass from JV Casio's dribble penetration with 5 seconds left to play. CSB led by as many as 13 points in one point in the 1st quarter, 25-12 but then JV, Peejay, and Rejan kept the Archers close with dribble penetrations and good perimeter game. Ilad provided the muscle inside for the Archers which had foul trouble problems with the big men as early in the 1st quarter.

CSB collapsed somewhat in the 4th quarter due to the Archers' pressure defense and their rushing press break wherein the CSB inbounder will throw a long lead pass to their streaking forward (I think it was Porras but he was perfectly covered by Ilad). CSB made this mistake consecutive times which sealed the game for the Archers. The game would have been sealed but free throw misses by the Archers in the end courtesy of JV (yes you read it right) and Brian made this game reached its end game climax.

Rico, PJ Walsham, and Cholo didn't play for this game since the coaching staff planned to split the veterans for Saturday and Sunday games. We will face EAC-Manila tomorrow at 2:30pm in the 9th floor of DLSU sports complex. But I guess we will be facing team B of EAC since EAC's team A is currently playing in the NCRAA. Remember EAC-Manila's forfeiture of ballgames last year due to this tourney? I guess EAC-Manila doesn't want to encounter this case anymore.

To answer GHRanger's inquiry, Migs Soller and Geo Sia are players who came from LSGH. Geo plays the point while Migs plays the shooting guard/point guard position. Rejan Lee came from Xavier (a good scorer during his time there), I think the same batch of while Kish Co's still playing for St. Stephen. Rejan also plays the shooting guard spot. Daryl also came from LSGH and plays center. These guys actually already played during the last FMC 2 for DLSU-B.

Our women's team beat the Lady Blazers but I forgot the score. My apologies.

Bennie Bangag
01-21-2007, 07:06 AM
We will face EAC-Manila tomorrow at 2:30pm in the 9th floor of DLSU sports complex. But I guess we will be facing team B of EAC since EAC's team A is currently playing in the NCRAA. Remember EAC-Manila's forfeiture of ballgames last year due to this tourney? I guess EAC-Manila doesn't want to encounter this case anymore.

tama ka dyan parekoy. parang all-star intrams lineup ang ipinasok ng EAC sa HAIL. the only player to watch out for is bong melocoton, an EAC veteran who's playing out his remaining college days for the sheer fun of it. he wears no. 20, a lefty who's a handful whenever he asks for a clearout. magaling sya--kaya lang naglalaro sa HAIL ay dahil ubos na ang playing eligibility sa NCRAA. the rest of his teammates you can handle. 'wag nyo na lang masyadong tambakan because their head coach, nomar isla, is a good guy.

bigfreeze_bibby
01-21-2007, 07:13 PM
As per rektikano's update, DLSU beat EAC-Manila, 108-60 in their HAIL game earlier today in DLSU sports complex.

david64
01-21-2007, 09:23 PM
The women's team also beat their counterparts from EAC, by a wide margin. Sorry, can't remember the final score, but definitely a spread of over 30 pts.

In the men's game, DLSU won by 48 pts., a far cry from Ateneo's 59 pt. win over the same team.

bigfreeze_bibby
01-27-2007, 11:55 PM
DLSU beat FEU earlier in their HAIL game to the tune of 87-78. The first half was a close game with FEU using their height advantage to get additional points off offensive rebounds. Our guards also had some difficult moments bringing down the ball and breaking FEU's pressure defense in the first half. But the 3rd quarter was a different story, DLSU started pulling away with the help of Brian Ilad and Peejay Barua scoring and FEU just had a miserable shooting in the 2nd half.

bigfreeze_bibby
01-28-2007, 06:16 PM
We beat UST earlier, 87-56. UST fielded in its team B. We also won in the women's division, 65-62.

bigfreeze_bibby
01-29-2007, 10:46 AM
Our scheduled game versus San Beda in HAIL this Saturday (February 3) won't push through since SBC decided to back out and not play in this tourney. Our HAIL elimination schedules continue on February 4, Sunday against Lyceum-Manila in the Razon Sports Complex, same schedules apply, 1pm for the womens and 2:30pm for the mens.

Another thing, for our February 17 game against Ateneo, I got word that the game will be in BEG and the 1pm (for the womens), 2:30pm (for the mens) schedules will apply. I'll just update if ever there will be future changes.

bigfreeze_bibby
02-05-2007, 07:20 AM
In our lone HAIL game this weekend, the Green Archers beat the Lyceum Pirates yesterday to the tune of 89-63 at the Razon sports complex. It was a close game back in the 1st quarter with Atkins leading the way in scoring for the Archers but Lyceum's athletic wingmen were able to close out on us due to their rough play.

In the 2nd quarter, we just simply went hot from the trifecta region. From a slim 35-31 lead, it ballooned to 44-31 thanks to Atkins, Mangahas, and Bader hitting consecutive threes and from there we never looked back. Bader still continued to sizzle hot in the second half, hitting threes, mid range jumpers, and driving floaters.

We were also able to maximize our size in the second half as Ilad and Co managed to show their presence in the middle by scoring easy points inside the paint. Ilad had a two-handed jam off a nice pass from Atkins in the 4th quarter to put the exclamation point in the game.

Sadly, we still missed a lot of free throws on that game knowing that we are playing at home. Our free throw attempts were the result of Lyceum's physical play especially on our guards who were constantly harassed throughout the game by the Lyceum guards. I think Kish and Brian had better free throw shooting percentages than our guards yesterday.

bigfreeze_bibby
02-12-2007, 07:41 AM
In our Hail games this past weekend, we were able to beat both FEATI (last Saturday) and Adamson (yesterday). In the FEATI game, we need to come from behind in an early 1st quarter deficit and establish a good 2nd quarter to pull the win while on the Adamson game, we lost a 19 point margin but luckily we were able to regain our form to beat the Falcons.

We are still unbeaten in this tourney but tough tests lie ahead this weekend as we are set to tangle with Ateneo on Saturday in BEG and against UE at home in Razon on Sunday.

Our women's team also prevailed in their two assignments against the same teams this past weekend.

Jeep
02-12-2007, 08:41 AM
hi bfb!

congrats on your wins this weekend! surely, we will see some spirited action this coming weekend as well!

heard from our office clerk who's taking up a customs brokerage course in lyceum, though, that an archer was made to leave the playing area by one of your coaches after he gave an elbow to a FEATI defender on the rebound. he was there watching the game last saturday. parang si kish co daw yata, medyo malaki daw na chinito.

anyway, we're sure to enjoy these off-season leagues as a prelude to july's wars. all the best!

bigfreeze_bibby
02-12-2007, 12:53 PM
hi bfb!

congrats on your wins this weekend! surely, we will see some spirited action this coming weekend as well!

heard from our office clerk who's taking up a customs brokerage course in lyceum, though, that an archer was made to leave the playing area by one of your coaches after he gave an elbow to a FEATI defender on the rebound. he was there watching the game last saturday. parang si kish co daw yata, medyo malaki daw na chinito.

anyway, we're sure to enjoy these off-season leagues as a prelude to july's wars. all the best!

It's Brian Ilad.

Kid Cubao
02-12-2007, 01:21 PM
hay naku, si ilad na naman?!? when will this guy learn to play with his emotions in check?

MargaretThrasher
02-12-2007, 02:51 PM
Oh, man. When I read that the guy who was asked to leave was tall and chinito, I immediately remembered Brian Ilad. Looks like he's still at it. Good thing the La Salle coaches already disciplined him without waiting for the refs to do it.

gfy
02-13-2007, 08:26 AM
What is the UAAP rule on fil-foreigners or pure foreigners? Are they limited to only one such guy at a time on the playing court or is it only the pure foreigners? Batricevic and Ferdinand are pure foreigners. I guess Malabes, Maierhofer and Walsham are fil-foreigners.

bigfreeze_bibby
02-13-2007, 09:23 AM
gfy, I think the same rules apply that both of them cannot play inside at the same time. I am not sure on Ferdinand's status though if he's pure foreigner or not.

That's the reason why every game pag malapit kami sa bench nanonood halos si Brian lang focus na pagsabihan regarding his hot headedness. We always have to shout him, "Brian, cool lang" because of his attitude, teams are already using this as a tactic in order to take away Brian's aggresive game. Madalas na siya pikunin ng kalaban para masira ang laro.

anghusay
02-13-2007, 05:48 PM
That's one weakness in Brian Ilad's game that has already been uncovered. Opposing teams will definitely employ "pang-aasar tactics" against Ilad to mentally take him off his game. I hope he can rectify this since the UAAP games are more emotional and have a lot more at stake. 5 months to go for Season 70 !

flsfnoeraekadad
02-13-2007, 07:00 PM
Maybe we should suggest the coaches to put Brian in an anger management class or program. Malaki ang maitutulong nya sa team pero hindi pupwede yung masyadong hot si Brian.

Bennie Bangag
02-14-2007, 04:59 AM
yes, i think some pointers on how to keep cool will do him good. sayang, nakita ko pa namang maglaro ito at kakaiba nga si brian: it's not everyday you see a pure pinoy of his size who has the athleticism of a guard and the medium-range game of a forward. and the irritability of president arroyo ;D

bigfreeze_bibby
02-14-2007, 06:40 AM
I still have this feeling that Brian's anger problems will diminish come season 70. I am trying to compare this with Jerwin's case wherein he gets irritated easily as well but then improved greatly come "showtime".

oca
02-14-2007, 09:08 AM
What is the UAAP rule on fil-foreigners or pure foreigners? Are they limited to only one such guy at a time on the playing court or is it only the pure foreigners? Batricevic and Ferdinand are pure foreigners. I guess Malabes, Maierhofer and Walsham are fil-foreigners.

Sa pagkakaalam ko, the clincher will be the passport the player is holding.

Philippine passport ba o hindi?

Kahit 100% Pinoy, pinanganak sa Pilipinas, pero lumaki sa ibang bansa, kung sa pagbalik rito ay hindi niya bibitawan yung "foreign passport" na iyon - "foreign student" yan.

Ranger
02-14-2007, 09:51 AM
Kahit 100% Pinoy, pinanganak sa Pilipinas, pero lumaki sa ibang bansa, kung sa pagbalik rito ay hindi niya bibitawan yung "foreign passport" na iyon - "foreign student" yan.

What if its the other way around? Pinanganak sa ibang bansa to a filipino parent, but 100% grew up here in the philippines with no philippine passport..

oca
02-14-2007, 11:04 AM

What if its the other way around? Pinanganak sa ibang bansa to a filipino parent, but 100% grew up here in the philippines with no philippine passport..

Abogado na ang sasagot dyan. ;D

Pero sa konting kaalaman ko, kahit saan ka pinanganak, pag magulang mo ay Pinoy, kahit isa sa dalawa lang, you can elect Filipino citizenship.

If you do elect Philippine citizenship, then your passport will be isuued.

But of the few Pinoy parents I know of, if their kids has an option to elect foreign citizenship to a country they perceive can give their kid better opportunities, they will elect "that" citizenship.

Sa usapan natin, bottomline line is, pag kinuwestyon ang citizenship mo, 'pakita mo Philippine passport mo, pag na-verify na 'di ito issued from Recto, hindi ka foreign student.

brian
02-14-2007, 11:47 AM
hindi ba ubra na sa ating ang dual citizenship... ???

green_minded
02-14-2007, 12:20 PM
I still have this feeling that Brian's anger problems will diminish come season 70.

One season lang Brian....one season lang is all we need. :(

Rektikano
02-14-2007, 02:53 PM
Pero may napansin ako dyan kay Brian eh...pag wala si coach Franz, matapang yan, pero pag nandyan....hehehehe.......when he got entangled with Jervy in the summer FMC last year, wala si coach Franz. Last Saturday wala si coach Franz....well, LaSallites are hoping coach Franz can reel him in when the games are on.

Btw, there was a bit of history already between Brian and Feati since the last time (2006 summer FMC) LaSalle and Feati faced each other. Setting biases aside, Brian was hit on the nape by a Feati player after he lost his balance on a rebound play and was already hitting the floor. In fairness, Brian didn't retaliate. He didn't see who hit him. But coach Franz saw what that Feati player did. Unnecessary talaga. Coach Franz castigated the Feati player and had a "talk" with the coaches of Feati. Problem was, the Feati head coach wouldn't acknowledge him. And if only looks could kill.....

Anyway, Coach Franz' point was that that incident could cause an untoward incident and baka magka rumble pa. He knew Brian is a volatile player and delikadong mapikon yan.

bigfreeze_bibby
02-15-2007, 08:20 AM
Pero may napansin ako dyan kay Brian eh...pag wala si coach Franz, matapang yan, pero pag nandyan....hehehehe.......when he got entangled with Jervy in the summer FMC last year, wala si coach Franz. Last Saturday wala si coach Franz....well, LaSallites are hoping coach Franz can reel him in when the games are on.

Btw, there was a bit of history already between Brian and Feati since the last time (2006 summer FMC) LaSalle and Feati faced each other. Setting biases aside, Brian was hit on the nape by a Feati player after he lost his balance on a rebound play and was already hitting the floor. In fairness, Brian didn't retaliate. He didn't see who hit him. But coach Franz saw what that Feati player did. Unnecessary talaga. Coach Franz castigated the Feati player and had a "talk" with the coaches of Feati. Problem was, the Feati head coach wouldn't acknowledge him. And if only looks could kill.....

Anyway, Coach Franz'* point was that that incident could cause an untoward incident and baka magka rumble pa. He knew Brian is a volatile player and delikadong mapikon yan.

Yep. Same observation here Tito rek. Medyo naka-renda siya pag andyan si coach Franz, pag wala nakakawala ng konti (?). We both saw that game against FEATI na until end of the game wherein coaches and players exchange handshakes, yung head coach ng FEATI wala ng kinamayan from our side. Coach Franz called immediately the referees' attention to stop the play nung nahirapan tumayo si Brian.

Do you know any player guys currently playing the UAAP now that has dual citizenship? I am not sure if this rule can apply in the league.

Bennie Bangag
02-15-2007, 08:42 AM
tingin ko meron sa ateneo, kasi parehong kapwa ipinanganak sa states but raised locally. that's marty quimson and johann uichico. i'm not certain, though, if they've already opted for dual citizenship, or elected one over the other. nevertheless, if ever there are UAAP players out there who are dual citizens, we can narrow our search by beginning with these two.

bigfreeze_bibby
02-15-2007, 01:16 PM
There will be changes in the HAIL game schedules of the Green Archers this coming weekend. For saturday's game, the mens game will be at 3pm and the womens at 4:30. For Sunday, the mens play at 1pm while the womens play at 2:30pm.

GreenArrows
02-16-2007, 03:05 PM
tingin ko meron sa ateneo, kasi parehong kapwa ipinanganak sa states but raised locally. that's marty quimson and johann uichico. i'm not certain, though, if they've already opted for dual citizenship, or elected one over the other. nevertheless, if ever there are UAAP players out there who are dual citizens, we can narrow our search by beginning with these two.

I have personal knowledge on this matter since my son was born in the US but was raised in the Philippines. He is a NATURAL BORN citizen of the U.S. thus he has his own U.S. passport. When we brought him home to the Philippines, there is a process in the B.I.D. called RECOGNITION. We applied for RECOGNITION of my son as the child of Filipino parents born abroad. When approved, he was given documents which proves his RECOGNITION as a Filipino even though he is a natural born citizen in the U.S. When we travel, he uses only a U.S. passport. However, he brings along his RECOGNITION PAPERS which proves his Filipino lineage and presents it to the Immigration officer in the outgoing booth at NAIA (when he leaves for abroad) and presents it to the Immigration officer in the incoming booth at NAIA (when he returns from abroad). He CAN APPLY for a Philippine passport but doing so and using both passports, at times, 'complicates' his entry and his exit from the U.S. Thus, he uses only ONE passport when he travels but brings along photocopies of his RECOGNITION papers. I hope this answers your queries.

5FootCarrot
02-16-2007, 05:11 PM
I have personal knowledge on this matter since my son was born in the US but was raised in the Philippines.* He is a NATURAL BORN citizen of the U.S. thus he has his own U.S. passport.* When we brought him home to the Philippines, there is a process in the B.I.D. called RECOGNITION.* We applied for RECOGNITION of my son as the child of Filipino parents born abroad.* When approved, he was given documents which proves his RECOGNITION as a Filipino even though he is a natural born citizen in the U.S.* ...
So, per the recognition papers, your son is considered Filipino (even though he was born elsewhere and has a US passport) while he is here in the country, at least? :)

GreenArrows
02-16-2007, 05:39 PM
I have personal knowledge on this matter since my son was born in the US but was raised in the Philippines. He is a NATURAL BORN citizen of the U.S. thus he has his own U.S. passport. When we brought him home to the Philippines, there is a process in the B.I.D. called RECOGNITION. We applied for RECOGNITION of my son as the child of Filipino parents born abroad. When approved, he was given documents which proves his RECOGNITION as a Filipino even though he is a natural born citizen in the U.S. ...
So, per the recognition papers, your son is considered Filipino (even though he was born elsewhere and has a US passport) while he is here in the country, at least? :)

YES! He is RECOGNIZED as a Filipino HERE. In the U.S., he is considered an American citizen. By being RECOGNIZED, there is no need to register him as a foreigner who would need to get an ACR every year from the BID which is required for enrollment in Philippine schools and for employment in the country. He has NO ACR though, he only has one passport - a U.S. passport. Again, he can qualify and apply to get a Philippine passport but at this time, there is no need for him to get one.

In the PBA, RECOGNITION PAPERS though legal, are NOT enough. You have to get an additional CERTIFICATION from the Department of Justice to prove that you are a Filipino - as defined by current laws and the Constitution. Also, the PBA requires that the player has a Philippine passport. This is an offshoot of the Filsham scandal a few years ago. Also, having a Philippine passport makes it easier for the player to play for the Philippine team, if chosen. But for everyone else, RECOGNITION PAPERS are sufficient. My son, as others, need not choose between Filipino or American citizenship as it is NOT REQUIRED of him. Not by the Philippines and not by the U.S. (though the U.S. discourages their citizens from pledging allegiance to another country/government). He is a NATURAL BORN CITIZEN of the U.S but is RECOGNIZED as a Filipino according to our laws and constitution. That's sufficient enough for him to study and work here if he wants to.

5FootCarrot
02-16-2007, 07:10 PM
I see. Thanks, GreenArrows! I learned something new today :)

GreenArrows
02-16-2007, 10:26 PM
I see. Thanks, GreenArrows! I learned something new today :)

Glad I was of help. BTW, when it comes time for you, 5FC, to want to have kids, you should consider giving birth in another country like the U.S. - specially your eldest kid - a serious thought. At least he/she will have options not readily available to most and options which many of our own countrymen go to the extremes to try to obtain. It's legal and in the long run, would give your kids a chance to decide better on what to do with their lives given the options available to them. What they do with such opportunities, as we all know, will be up to them.

Now back to discussions regarding the HAIL. Good luck to all teams this weekend.

BLUE HORSE
02-17-2007, 01:07 AM

I have personal knowledge on this matter since my son was born in the US but was raised in the Philippines.* He is a NATURAL BORN citizen of the U.S. thus he has his own U.S. passport.*

In the case of Greenarrows son, in the future he can run for president of the US and not just the barangay captain of Urdaneta Village if he so desires. He meets the biggest requirement that of a natural born citizen of the US. ;D

Think of it as an investment in the future if one can afford the equivalent of a year to a year and a half of tuition fees in either DLSU or ADMU. It helps if one has a relative who can give the family shelter while awaiting the birth of the baby. Mexicans who cross the border at the beginning of their eigth or nineth month make do with a comadrona then return to Mexico once securing the necessary birth certificate. Canada is another country worth considering.

Greenarrows is not alone. There are others of this fora who have done so.

Back to regular programming.

GreenArrows
02-17-2007, 07:11 AM

I have personal knowledge on this matter since my son was born in the US but was raised in the Philippines. He is a NATURAL BORN citizen of the U.S. thus he has his own U.S. passport.

In the case of Greenarrows son,....... not just the barangay captain of Urdaneta Village if he so desires. ..... ;D
BH, pre, barangay kagawad lang. I am not ambitious naman. Bwahahahahaha 8)

Back to the HAIL. Looks like most members of Team A won't be playing this afternoon. Rico, TY, Cholo, Jvee, PJ, JWalsh may not see action at all due to other committments, injuries and plain taking some time off. So, this should prove to be an exciting and, more or less, evenly matched game. To all who are watching, this is a good way to spend a few lazy and warm Saturday hours. Enjoy the games!

anghusay
02-17-2007, 07:15 PM
Who won the game between the Archers and Eagles?

GreenArrows
02-17-2007, 08:57 PM
ADMU won by 10 points

Bennie Bangag
02-18-2007, 05:56 AM
i saw the game. la salle was not at full strength, and i think they really missed the playmaking stability of TY tang and JV casio, as well as the overall value of rico maierhoffer. so ateneans shouldn't really crow over this victory because the blue eagles still have to take care of business--not to mention the fact that it already had two losses in the tournament. because of that, ateneo will need to sweep its remaining assignments to vie for advancement in the playoff round.

it was a good game, though. talagang di mawawala ang kantyawan, at talagang di maiiwasan na magkarun ng konting gulangan sa mga players. what's great is that the green and blue galleries showed their all-out support to their teams, and that they treated each other with respect and civility. it can't be helped--ateneans and la sallians bump into each other so often in other circles that it's impossible na di sila maging magkakakilala.

about the refs, that's a different matter. makakalbo ka sa inis kung papa-apekto ka sa mga yan.

bigfreeze_bibby
02-19-2007, 07:20 AM
Ateneo played with focus last Saturday as compared to us na medyo out of sync talaga. Feeling ko mas marami pa kaming ginawang mali kesa tama last Saturday especially the free throws. Parang wala sa gana maglaro ang mga bata because I noticed that mabagal sila gumalaw wala sa wisyo kumbaga as shown in the body language of both teams. Good thing we were able to recover against UE yesterday. I am not sure kelan tutuloy yung postponed game versus NU.

Rektikano
02-19-2007, 09:37 AM
Good game for the Eagles last Saturday. They showed more heart and desire and the will to win was very evident.

Except for the homegrown cup, it looks like we are having a hard time beating the FMC and HAIL teams of Ateneo..hehehe.... in HAIL games, we are 0-2 against them since last year. In the 2006 Summer FMC, we lost to them and in FMC2, our teams A and B both lost.....BTW, in the 2006 summer FMC and 2006 HAIL, Ronnie Bughao just killed us...

It's a good thing we were able to recover against UE yesterday. We started out strong. Kish Co was marvelous yesterday, scoring on several turnaround jumpers. Rejan Lee was his usual daredevil self. We just couldn't hold on to a safe lead as UE just kept on coming back. In the third quarter, we held "comfortable" 7 points leads twice and in just a matter of minutes, UE wiped it out. Their 3 point shooters, Bandaying, Lee and Martinez also clicked and began hitting their strides while big men Fampulme and Thiele also asserted themselves inside. But Kish, Rejan, Brian and James all held the fort and repulsed every UE comeback. We also got a couple of breaks as a couple of calls went our way. But nevertheless, UE just wouldn't call it quits. Maybe it's the Pumaren mystique as Coach Dindo just kept on pushing his boys to work hard. UE finally broke through and grab a 1 point lead at the last 2 minute mark of the game. Kish quickly answered with a fadeaway turnaround shot. UE committed a turnover in the succeeding play and with shot clock winding down, James Mangahas sank an 18 footer over the outstretched arm of a Warrior to give us a 3 point lead at 82-79. On UE's next possession, Brian Ilad switched on a pick and roll play which became a blessing in disguise as he was the one who chased the 3 point attempt by Paul Lee or Bandaying (not sure). Clearly, with a tall guy chasing the jump shot, the shot was off line and Kish and Simon each put in a free throw to peg the final score at 84-79.

nel
02-19-2007, 10:23 AM
It's a good thing that the team regained their bearings after looking lost against Ateneo last Saturday. Looks like Kish Co got his game back after a forgettable game the day before. Last Saturday, our PGs were unable to orchestrate effectively, and we were a step slower against the fired-up and well-prepared Blue Eagles. What changed yesterday? Who quarterbacked the team against UE's press? Was our lineup the same as Saturday's?

gfy
02-19-2007, 12:28 PM
Rejan Lee proved he's the slasher DLSU has been looking for* ;). Without Casio and T@ng, sabi ng iba medyo nawalan daw kayo na magaling na court general. And they will be marked men because they are your reliable shooters as well. Malabes was also defended well by Ateneo.

Rektikano
02-19-2007, 07:28 PM
It's a good thing that the team regained their bearings after looking lost against Ateneo last Saturday. Looks like Kish Co got his game back after a forgettable game the day before. Last Saturday, our PGs were unable to orchestrate effectively, and we were a step slower against the fired-up and well-prepared Blue Eagles. What changed yesterday? Who quarterbacked the team against UE's press? Was our lineup the same as Saturday's?

What changed yesterday? well, the guys had more focus. They also had a better start compared to last Saturday. Shots were falling in (the homecourt advantage was really a big help), defense was much better, plus some miscues on the defensive part of UE which hindered their taking the game over time and again.

Same lineup was used yesterday with Simon the chief quarterback and Randolph backing him up. Migs Soller and Geo Sia were also fielded yesterday with Migs scoring our first basket of the game on a fastbreak layup. We led immediately after that basket at 2-0 and never looked back 'till that 1 point lead by UE at the last minutes of the game.

bigfreeze_bibby
02-20-2007, 06:58 AM
Soller and Sia weren't used in the ADMU game. I felt that coach Ty should've used them somewhere at some point in that game especially in the shooting guard slot (for Migs) and Geo in the PG slot (Randolph really sucked in that game).

Rektikano
02-20-2007, 10:14 AM
^^^^

Well, funny thing is Migs, I think, is being groomed more for the point guard spot. In the other HAIL games, he is sometimes used as the third point guard behind Simon and Randolph. Si Migs and Geo can both play as combo guards. Yun lang mas malakas lang si Migs kay Geo and also has the better all around game.

Medyo nabangko nung weekend si Darrel Ciruella..hehehe...one guy I would like to see play again is Paolo Rodriguez, who played for our team B in the last FMC2. The guy has a lot of upside and has a good sense of moves around the basket. Medyo bata pa lang nga but sana ma develop din.

Rektikano
02-26-2007, 03:49 PM
We closed out our elims campaign with an 81-54 win vs NU yesterday. It was an important win for us as we secured te homecourt edge all throughout the playoffs. Being tied with UE at #1, we couldn't afford to lose yesterday as this would allow UE to grab the top spot and the homecourt edge should we meet them again in the playoffs.

Bader set the tone with 3 straight free throws when he was fouled taking a triple in the first play of the game. From there, the Archers never looked back as their defense held forth, holding NU to 4 first quarter points and 11 second quarter points.

Bader was on fire yesterday scoring about 4 or 5 triples with some nice penetrations while Brian Ilad backed him up, lording it over the shaded lane, offensively and defensively. J-Walsh (wala siguro magawa to yesterday kaya naglaro ;D) made an appearance and acquitted himself well, making his requisite 3 point attempt and making it. He also had a couple of nice low post moves.

Rektikano
03-03-2007, 04:56 PM
The Green Archers won over the CSB Blazers today, 100-72 to barge into the semi final round of the 2007 Home and Away Invitational tourney. Everybody clicked today on offense. Passing was crisp and we shot pretty well from the field highlighted by the 3 triples at end game by Migs Soller, JWalsh and Marko Batricevic. Turnovers were also limited to a minimum. On the other hand, we shot down top CSB gunner Paolo Orbeta. We just had too much fire power in this game against the Blazers.

bigfreeze_bibby
03-05-2007, 12:52 PM
According to david64, we will face the FEU Tamaraws in the semis of HAIL. We'll just post the scheds once available.

Rektikano
03-05-2007, 08:34 PM
game is on Thursday, 5 pm at Razon Sports Complex.

We will have our hands full in this game. As we know, FEU's strength lies with their wingmen and we will be missing 2 reliable wingmen who can match up with their wing who played in the elims game between LaSalle and FEU namely OJ Cua and Peejay Barua. Hope the whole team plays well again.

GHRanger
03-06-2007, 09:33 AM
Why won't OJ play on thursday? Thanks.

Rektikano
03-06-2007, 10:00 AM
^^^^

All the veterans have been given the tournament off by the coaching staff..Jayvee played in 1 game (CSB), Cholo and Rico also one (EAC yata), OJ- 2 games (FEU and UST), Jwalsh - 2 games also at first (also FEU and UST) but he played against NU and the quarterfinal game vs CSB, TY none.....

bigfreeze_bibby
03-09-2007, 07:41 AM
We lost to the FEU Tamaraws last night to the tune of 87-81 in OT. Bader didn't play because he was very ill while the difference during the last HAIL elims game and the semis game last night was Peejay Barua (because of his leg injury) and OJ Cua (coaches decision) didn't play. It was a good run though by the Archers on this tournament which provided confidence boost for the other players that may make it to the UAAP season '70 lineup.

Kid Cubao
03-09-2007, 09:15 AM
not a bad run, guys :) kitang-kita naman na kinapos lang kayo ng tao.

GHRanger
03-09-2007, 11:12 AM
Congrats to the Archers and the Tams.

Rektikano
03-09-2007, 12:15 PM
First of all, congrats to the Tams..

In a way, sayang din yung game last night. But it was satisfying too in the sense that lumaban rin talaga tayo. Yun lang nga, sabi nga ni Kid Cubao, kinapos talaga. Although without Bader yesterday, I felt we had a good chance to pull it off if Brian and Simon didn't go down with cramps. The game went into overtime and Brian went out with about 4 to 5 minutes left in the 4th and never came back. Si Simon naman, twice or thrice went down with cramps. Brian, before he went out was dominating the FEU bigs. He even had an and one alleyop play in the 4th quarter plus he had several free thows that swooshed the net. Sayang talaga. Coach Franz even praised him when Brian went down with us in the elevator. Another guy who really took charge last night was James Mangahas. The guy finally showed up. And he went up against the tall frontline of the Tams, scoring on post up moves, drives to the basket and jumpers plus he was helping out in the rebounding department. JWalsh, on the other hand, scored more ponts from the outside than inside. He was 2-3 from the 3 point country but missed a couple of jumphooks inside the lane. His back to back triples in the second quarter brought the Archers back from a 21-12 deficit. One funny thing was ang galing ng free throw shooting natin kagabi except in the ot when we started 1-4 from the free throw line. Anyway, it's rest and study time now for the guys and in about 3 weeks time, full rigid practice and conditioning will start.

flsfnoeraekadad
03-09-2007, 06:37 PM
Malapit na finals lol.

gfy
03-14-2007, 09:12 AM
A little OT: I asked earlier what the UAAP rules are for foreigners and fil-foreigners. For basketball (or for all the other sports). This is important because you have quite a number of them on your team. And you don't want to forfeit games later on. As for the Ateneo baseball team (some of you are asking at your site), this is what I know.* The U.S. passport of Zialcita was submitted. Necessarily, the eligibility committee asked for an ACR or alien certificate of registration. But Zialcita is not an alien. According to the 1987 constitution, he is a Filipino since both (one will suffice) of his parents were Filipinos at the time of his birth. And Fr. Bernas SJ reportedly gave the opinion that recognition papers are not required. So it was just a matter of submitting the proper documents to the eligibility committee. Zialcita is entitled to a Philippine passport which could have been obtained in several days. Or submit documentation that both his parents were Filipinos at the time of his birth. The committee, according to Anton Montinola, asked for these documents since January yet.*

There are also residency rules. Transfers from local schools or from abroad. I heard Walsham went back to Australia for a while. Where did Malabes come from? There is also a rule that no two foreigners can play at the same time. Make sure you've got all areas covered. Otherwise, games may be forfeited.

flsfnoeraekadad
03-14-2007, 02:58 PM
wrong post

oca
03-14-2007, 04:59 PM
These RULES.

Sa palagay ko walang pro-problemahin ang Archers sa EXISTING rules. I am sure they have all bases covered, 'ika nga. Alam nila na mainit ang mata ng kalaban sa kanilang pagbabalik, kaya tiyak mahigit pa sa diligence ng isang ulirang ama ang kanilang ginawa at gagawin.

Pero, lahat kayong taga-UAAP, di lang DLSU, ay magdasal na walang ipapatupad na bagong "eligibility rule".

Alam niyo naman itong Board ng UAAP, di mo malaman kung anong prinsipyo ang pinapairal sa ganitong usapin.

5FootCarrot
03-15-2007, 09:24 AM
Pero, lahat kayong taga-UAAP, di lang DLSU, ay magdasal na walang ipapatupad na bagong "eligibility rule".

Alam niyo naman itong Board ng UAAP, di mo malaman kung anong prinsipyo ang pinapairal sa ganitong usapin.
Pasensya na kung OT pa rin, but I just had to say this: Amen. Mabibigla na lang yung tao kung may bago nang regulasyon, malabo pa ang mga kundisyon/interpretasyon nito. Look at what happened to Roel Capati of Adamson last season.

Rektikano
03-15-2007, 10:54 AM
Ms. Carrot,

What was the case of Roel Capati last season?

Semenelin
03-15-2007, 11:12 AM
yeah, im interested with it as well. alam ko ang nagkaproblema si alonzo.

Kid Cubao
03-15-2007, 11:33 AM
if i'm not mistaken, roel capati's ineligibility stems from the belated discovery that he has earned credits in a number of course subjects that are considered graduate level in adamson U. ang balita ko'y pang-MBA yung iba nyang natapos na management subjects. para mong pinarusahan yung bata dahil sa kanyang pagsikap sa pag-aaral, tsk tsk.

5FootCarrot
03-15-2007, 01:19 PM
Yup, what Cubao said was what I heard about Roel Capati. He did not out and out enroll as a graduate student, just started taking some graduate-level courses but apparently only undergrad-level courses are acceptable to the UAAP.

(On the other hand, Chad Alonzo, as everyone knows, fell prey to the seven-years-out-of-HS rule the season before that.)

I don't like it either, but that's best discussed elsewhere :)

nel
03-15-2007, 01:27 PM
It's beginning to look like the UAAP board is more interested in preventing student athletes from advancing their education. And I thought that they were primarily educators. I wonder why they would want to prevent students taking a post grad course or subjects from playing - isn't the graduate school a part of the university?

Kid Cubao
03-15-2007, 01:34 PM
It's beginning to look like the UAAP board is more interested in preventing student athletes from advancing their education. And I thought that they were primarily educators. I wonder why they would want to prevent students taking a post grad course from playing - isn't the graduate school a part of the university?

it's outrageous, isn't it? you're sending the wrong message to athletes with aspirations outside the sporting arena. it's as if you're penalizing them for staying in school and finishing their degrees. one for the books, i say.

gfy
03-15-2007, 04:16 PM
I already brought this master's thing up with Mr. Montinola. I suggested that they allow athletes to take up master's if they come from the same school. I also suggested that they review the foreigners thing before it gets out of hand. Like limiting the number of foreigners to two, for example. The PBA and PBL have restrictions on the number of foreigners. But I guess the rule that no two foreigners can play at the same time may be sufficient for the time being.

With regard to the eligibility rules, I guess they will just have to define more exactly who is a Filipino citizen.

shyboy
03-15-2007, 08:45 PM
Funny that these things need to be suggested to people who're supposed to academicians.

Fried Green Tomato
03-16-2007, 02:27 AM
These RULES.

Sa palagay ko walang pro-problemahin ang Archers sa EXISTING rules. I am sure they have all bases covered, 'ika nga. Alam nila na mainit ang mata ng kalaban sa kanilang pagbabalik, kaya tiyak mahigit pa sa diligence ng isang ulirang ama ang kanilang ginawa at gagawin.

If ever there is a new "eligibility" rule concocted by the uaap board, usually it is not an outright implementation and it's going to take effect during the next season (season 71).

But knowing that the uaap board is omnipotent, nothing is impossible.

nel
03-16-2007, 09:22 AM
Yes, I agree. Remember the Cardona issue? Per UAAP rules, protests regarding a player's eligibility must be filed before the end of the first round. The whole brouhaha about Macmac surfaced once the 2nd round was underway, and the UAAP decided to "investigate" it even without any school filing a formal request. It turned out to be a very high profile investigation which ended with nary a whimper, when the school principal in the US verified everything La Salle had been saying all along. I don't know if an investigation or inquiry without any formal basis is within the rules, particularly after the period for looking into eligibility issues had lapsed, but they did it anyway.

As the Macmac case shows, the UAAP board can do anything it wants, even if it's against the rules.

oca
03-16-2007, 10:56 AM
These RULES.

If ever there is a new "eligibility" rule concocted by the uaap board, usually it is not an outright implementation and it's going to take effect during the next season (season 71).
But knowing that the uaap board is omnipotent, nothing is impossible.

Nakakatakot pa rin isipin kung meron ngang bagong eligibility rule na ipapatupad, kahit na sa season 71 pa.

We all are aware of teams having players who are there at Team B for a purpose/ reason. But definitely part of the future plans of the team. Then, eto ang bagong rule w/c will affect his status for the season he is intended to start playing.

Di pa rin makatwiran.

GHRanger
03-16-2007, 03:54 PM
Kahit na sabihin mong di matutuloy yung isang eligibility rule na pinaguusapan, malaki pa riin ang magaging epekto nito sa liga. Isipin mo na lang, merong kang isang player A. Nakita na magaling siya at isa syang magiging key player sa isang team. Sa kalagitnaan ng liga, pinagusapan si player A ng board sa possibleng ineligibility.

Mag dadalawang isip si Coach kung ilalaro niya ito ng lubusan. Sayang yung oportunidad. Parang nilagay mo si Player A sa freezer. Tapos pag finals na, saka sasabihin na dropped yung imbestigasyon.

Sa palagay ko kung may nakalusot na ineligible player, maging liable din yung in-charge sa eligibility/screening comittee ng UAAP. Ngeligence on behalf of the screening committee. Hahaha - I wish.

Ang problema din kasi sa UAAP na ang rason nila na gusto nila maging level yung playing field; ang una nilang tirada yung players. Di nila naiisip na ang nagpapagaling sa isang team ay hindi ang players lang kundi pati yung programa ng teams and sarisariling administrasyon ng unibersidad.

Ang favorite ng UAAP na subject - "Subject to interpretation"

Sang ayon ako yung suggestion ni GA na every certain number of years gumawa sila ng review committee, tapos every 5-7 years ang pagitan ng review. Para mag mature yung rules at maging mature din ang basis nila sa paggawa ng desisyon.

nel
03-17-2007, 10:56 AM
Hahaha. You're assuming that most board members are mature, but the quality of decisions they've made in the past shows otherwise.

The board reps have probably NEVER been personally involved in any kind of athletic competition, yet they feel that they have the competence to enact rules governing sports? I seriously doubt if they have any personal experience of what it means to prepare and train for months or years for the chance to represent your school in the competition, and they then decide to throw all that down the drain with their mindless decisions. How "learned" is that? It's been said that the first step towards attaining knowledge and wisdom is to recognize and accept the possibility that one is ignorant. Well, those fossils who pass themselves off as board members feel that they know it all. Maybe we should require a sanity check for board members, but that would probably decimate the board as it is today.

How about making it mandatory for a prospective board member to prove that they engaged in actual official competition? If they've never been an athlete, then they shouldn't be qualified to sit on a board that is the overall authority over the UAAP sports competitions.

A bit off topic:
Hmmm, the way the board is populated sounds like our politics - we have actors, dancers, comedians, and their wives and children who, despite never having held any position of importance anywhere, decide that they can become congressmen, mayors, governors, and senators. And our voters do believe them??? We deserve the political leaders that we elect into office.

Back to the topic:
Isn't there anything we (the general UAAP audience) can do to start a movement to professionalize the way the UAAP is run? If we do nothing, we're saying that we accept the situation by our inaction. IMO, the best way to run the UAAP is to have an independent professional body which is experienced in sports management to manage the operations. They will be answerable to the board, but the board will NOT have any say in the day-to-day operations or even on matters of eligibility. This way, we should expect that decisions will be impartial, not because of vested interests of board members.

nel
03-20-2007, 06:32 PM
As posted by Angel on Fire in AP:

UST @ DLSU (WOMEN)
MARCH 24
SAT 10:00AM