PDA

View Full Version : What Lies Ahead: The Road to Season 83

Gym_Rat
01-02-2007, 05:34 PM
The off-season tournaments have already been concluded. NCAA teams are now in the process of recruiting, training and preparing for Season 83. Some teams have demonstrated this early that they are serious title contenders this coming season. Others are in the healing/recuperative mode as well. Other teams have had individual members go to the PBL for added exposure in tougher leagues. Still other teams have decided to go the stealth route, going by their preparations with nary any fanfare, but their absence have gotten pundits wondering what they are up to. Which teams seemed to be lucky in the offseason? What monkey wrenches have been thrown in teams' plans (injuries, transfers, etc)?

What looms in the horizon at this time? What is it that you see now? What is it that you THINK will happen? Where will that lead to?

It's been a while since this forum last got active. Gamefacers, how about rattling the cage some now?

LION
01-03-2007, 08:03 AM
It seems that some NCAA teams, following the Sam Ekwe formula, are recruiting or have recruited skyscrapers to increase their chances of beating the Red Lions next season.

UPHDS has already enlisted a legit 6'8 Malaysian.* JRU is reportedly hiding a tall recruit as well, which is probably one of the reasons why Angel Vanguardia is so confident of his team's chances of playing in the final four.

Coach Asiong Lim was contemplating on recruiting an import from Mainland China last year but since there are reports that his contract will no longer be renewed this year, the plan may have been put on hold.

The Blazers, on the other hand, will be bolstered by the return of big man Christian Cabatu and super guard Paolo Orbeta. I also got reports that* ex Red Cub Montecastro and another guard, Morial, are set to re-join the team.

oca
01-03-2007, 10:14 AM
Sam Ekwe playing for San Beda, IMO, only brought to fore the NCAA's eligibility rules on non-Filipinos playing in the league. When Red Lion aspirant Fil-Am Chris Camus gets elevated to the NCAA line up, another league rule will be made known publicly - that unlike the UAAP- the NCAA allows foreign students to be fielded at the same time. Needing only a year of residency and not two.

That will make the NCAA a more attractive league for student-athletes with foreign passports.

In another 3 or 4 years, the NCAA will be home to more foreign students dreaming of playing big time collegiate basketball.

Of course the action on court will be the focus of our daily discussions. But the ELIGIBILITY RULES, seeing its application, will chart the course of the NCAA.

MonL
01-03-2007, 05:54 PM
The formation of the Red Lion team last year brought in a few surprises which, in hindsight, were wise moves by Coach Koy Banal and his staff: loading up on point guards or people who could run the team in a pinch instead of capitalizing on the perceived advantage which was the abundance of big men or athletic front liners. After all, the bigs would not have been effective if the guards weren’t able to bring the ball to them or run plays for the team as a whole, especially against teams employing the press. The team was formed after the opposition had been thoroughly scouted. The athleticism of Ekwe mitigated the absence of an able backup, as he played major minutes, and his contributions were vital. The veteran forward line did an able job when he was in foul trouble or injured. When Sam and the forwards clicked, the team was unstoppable.* But with the coming of physically tougher teams this coming season, consistency in the frontcourt, particularly at center, is imperative.* The injury bug reared its ugly head in the Final Four and nearly put Ekwe out of commission in the Championship series last year and may disrupt the Lions’ plans again this year. SBC should heed the lessons of UPHR, who never recovered from Valdimir Joe’s season ending injury that caused their season to go down the tubes with him as no one stepped in to fill up the gap.

Guard play is a major concern once again. Alex Angeles has played out his eligibility, and now the “help wanted “ signs for point guards and perimeter playing 2s have been sent out. Borgie Hermida, Du Canlas and Micah Evangelista are recovering from serious knee injuries, thus there are concerns about their readiness to compete or play long minutes come Season 83, especially at championship time.* Chico Tirona has recovered from a fractured foot and has been getting ready by playing with San Beda’s Team B, but he is more known as a defense-oriented 2 who needs to be more consistent with his J and playmaking.* Escobal’s exposure to the rigors of playmaking especially in the PBL combined with his inherent smarts make him the primary playmaker in the backcourt until the true PGs recover fully.*

Looking back, SBC adjusted to the opposition. Looking ahead, NOW the opposition looks to adjusting to SBC.

oca
01-04-2007, 10:54 AM
With Ekwe's development as a player seemingly on a plateau and with a projected shallow PG rotation, the Red Lions are highly vulnerable coming into Season83.

Of course we are still 6 months from season opening and the outlook may differ. But at the same period last year, after Escobal and Ekwe debut at FMC2, the outlook I had then for the Red Lions held true for Season82.

If I were one of the 7 other teams, I will develop the mindset in my team to play its strengths. I wouldn't be building a team suited to beat a San Beda team. For there are other teams with legitimate chances of making the finals and actually winning it all.

JRU stands tall in the horizon. Wala ng sasabihin pa, nakita na natin ang pruweba sa CCL at HGC.

Letran still plays a solid game, and if the guards do settle down and mature in time, I'll give them one of the championship berths outright.

PCU, for as long as Castro is in the line up, that is an F4 team. How they cope up with the absence of Espinas will determine their chances of actually winning the title.

Mapua has about 9 or 10 carryovers for next year. That's experience every coach would like to have in his lineup. Pero sino nga ba ang coach nila? Whoever comes on board, and the players buys his system, mahirap pa rin talunin yan.

Benilde has a good number of players in the PBL now. They are learning ang they will get more confident. Coach Garcia has proven himself, and kutob ko pinapahinog niya lang ang mga players niya. I wouldn't be surprised kung mag F4 sila sa Season 83.

San Sebastian. Manipis ang lineup. They don't intimidate. But with good enough shooters in the team, good spoliers they will be.

As for the other teams, not much has been seen of them since the season ended. Kahit ano pa ang balitang lumabas tungkol sa mga bago nilang players, I personally never like the chances of teams inactive for long months. A team must continually play competitive and quality games -year round. Kahit combined Team A at B and lineup at wala yung star players. Bottom line is - dapat batak kayo sa laro.

For if only champion teams can be built in summer, then dapat laging dikit ang labanan ng lahat ng koponan.

Gym_Rat
01-04-2007, 12:25 PM
After going through a broad view of the horizon, let's look at some nitty-gritty on what to expect:

The list is incomplete (or inaccurate due to player ineligibility), so add some more or correct the list as we go along….

Players who will likely light up the scoreboards next season:

Castro –PCU
Balneg-CSJL (Mr. Outside)
Guevarra-CSJL (Mr. Inside)
Dela Peña-MIT
Co-MIT
Bauzon-UPHR
Lee-UPHR (In the brief times I’ve seen him, I saw in him flashes of the feared South Korean downtown bombers we Filipinos are so familiar with.)
Cagoco-JRU
Wilson-JRU
Sena-JRU
Viray-SSC
Escobal-SBC
Aljamal-SBC
Urra-CSB

Looking for tough infighting in the paint? Watch out for these guys:
Faundo
Mondragon (But then again the whole Letran team never plays soft ;D)
Nocom
Sena
Wilson
Marcelo
Taganas
Aljamal
Ekwe
Cabatu

I’m not sure about MIT’s frontline players Pascual and Del Rosario, are they still eligible next season?

Breakout players:
Graham-PCU
Guillermo-MIT
Lee-UPHR

Newbies to watch:
Green-CSJL (?)
Marcelo-SBC
Camus-SBC
UPHR’s foreign recruits
PCU’s rookie veteran recruits ??? :D

mighty_lion
01-04-2007, 03:15 PM
From the looks of it, mukhang mas nguso sa nguso ang labanan ng mga teams sa NCAA kesa UAAP sa June. The way at look at UAAP, they only have UST, DLSU and UE as dominating teams. NCAA has SBC, PCU, Letran, JRU, Benilde, and UPHR to man the 5 spots at the floor on a given time. SBC will have upperhand in terms of bench depth compared to other five teams. San Sebastian has been concentrating their efforts in the Jrs team, medyo humina na yong recruitment and continuity sa Srs.

Anyway, mukhang lintek lang ang walang ganti pagdating ng bantay bata all-stars, hehe. Kung meron kang dalawang 6'8 line-up para bumantay sa paint, dyos ko po, ipagpanalangin kong sana salitan lang sila at wag mag-sabay sa court. Hehe, hope to see Ekwe and the UPHR malaysian battle it out sa slam dunk contest. ;D

LION
01-04-2007, 03:41 PM
With Ekwe's development as a player seemingly on a plateau and with a projected shallow PG rotation, the Red Lions are highly vulnerable coming into Season83.

Sam went home to Lagos during the holidays. He said that he "missed embracing his mom". Can you imagine a man as big as Sam saying that? ;D

I can almost imagine Sam regaling his clan and friends in Nigeria about his life here in the Philippines, the San Beda community, the journey towards the championship, the accolades, etc.; and I wouldn't be surprised if one or two of his younger relatives and friends who are as tall or taller than him would express interest in going to the Philippines and play for San Beda.

Papano na yan? What lies ahead? Thinking about this possibility really scares me.

ESCALERA JR.
01-04-2007, 08:37 PM
Aba LION, ibalato niyo na lang samin kahit yung bunso nila Ekwe. ;D

Seriously, I still see the Red Lions and Dolphins figuring in a rematch next season.

Espinas may be gone but Castro will still be running the show for PCU with a much improved big man Belga and Rob David as his new scoring partners. Castro is at the peak of his college ball career...maybe ripe for an MVP.

I don't see much improvement in the Knights camp with all veterans from the 2 letran champion team all but gone. Latak na lang ang natira...landing at #4 is still hard to imagine. But with coach Alas at the helm, expect the unexpected.

But as long as Ekwe is still wearing the Lion's jersey(2 more seasons!), kalaban na lang nila sa finals ang hinihintay.

LION
01-05-2007, 09:56 AM
Aba LION, ibalato niyo na lang samin kahit yung bunso nila Ekwe. ;D

I don't see much improvement in the Knights camp with all veterans from the 2 letran champion team all but gone. Latak na lang ang natira...landing at #4 is still hard to imagine. But with coach Alas at the helm, expect the unexpected.

There is hope for the Knights pareng Escalera. Have you seen Daa play in the PBL lately? Wow, I tell you he has definitely improved. He and Marvin Cruz are now the main gunners for Toyota Otis. Dennis has been outshining Eric Rodriguez, Chito Jaime, Jonathan Aldave and the other big men of Toyota. Daa and Balneg will definitely lead Letran to the F4 next season.

cub
01-05-2007, 09:23 PM
^^ i think you are referring to the other Daa. that's Dennis. sya ung lagi gumagawa sa Toyota eh. :P

LION
01-07-2007, 04:14 PM
^^ i think you are referring to the other Daa. that's Dennis. sya ung lagi gumagawa sa Toyota eh.* :P

My bad. Si Dino nga pala yon. Magkamukha e. ;D

jayverns
01-08-2007, 12:20 AM
ano balita kay Garvo Lanete? sure na ba siya sa San Beda?

LION
01-08-2007, 07:44 AM
Garvo wants to play for the team. Trouble is, there is no slot available for him. If he is willing to wait and spend one season with Team Behold, he might crack Team Animo in Season 84.

Same with Ranises who has purportedly informed the team that he wants to stay and red shirt for one or two years.

Sabi nga ni Mike Advani, sa lalim ng roster ng team at training team ngayon, mismong mga Red Cubs na gustong gusto ng maging leon e hindi mabigyan ng pwesto sa Team A. Si Dave Marcelo lang so far ang may assured slot sa Team A.

oca
01-08-2007, 09:48 AM
^
When the NCAA regains its stature and is regarded by the casual fan as a co-equal of the UAAP, we should expect more NCAA Junior players to stay in the league.

For so many years now, it is apparent family and friends have been encouraging these Junior prospects to bring their game to the more popular league.

But that should change in the next few years. More will be staying... less and less would be migrating.

mighty_lion
01-08-2007, 06:00 PM
Same with Ranises who has purportedly informed the team that he wants to stay and red shirt for one or two years.

I like ranises game, very flexible, can bring the team and can be a role player depending on what the situation requires. Hope he stays in the den.

If the players of Staglets and PCU juniors stays in the NCAA and wont bite the shining offers from UAAP schools, thats gonna bring more high-level match-up between teams in the NCAA. Red Cubs already started being at home with San Beda.

oca
01-09-2007, 09:16 AM
The PCU Baby Dolphins has a good number of tall players. Kung sa tangkad lang, nakakaintimidate yung line-up nila the past 2 years. Last season's finals stint should serve them well in season 83.

If the success of Season82, in terms of capturing the attention of the general public, can be sustained these kids will seriously consider staying in the NCAA.

Most kids, afterall, just want to be lavished with attention. They want their game to be noticed. Hence, they seek out to play in popular teams and league. Or simply where they can get a Team A spot.

LION
01-09-2007, 09:47 AM
The PCU Baby Dolphins has a good number of tall players. Kung sa tangkad lang, nakakaintimidate yung line-up nila the past 2 years. Last season's finals stint should serve them well in season 83.

If the success of Season82, in terms of capturing the attention of the general public, can be sustained these kids will seriously consider staying in the NCAA.

Most kids, afterall, just want to be lavished with attention. They want their game to be noticed. Hence, they seek out to play in popular teams and league. Or simply where they can get a Team A spot.

Which is the reason why ____________________ is seriously planning to acquire a TV station. If his vision will materialize, the TV station will have the exclusive coverage of the NCAA and will rival Studio 23's coverage of the UAAP.

oca
01-09-2007, 09:57 AM

Which is the reason why ____________________ is seriously planning to acquire a TV station.* If his vision will materialize, the TV station will have the exclusive coverage of the NCAA and will rival Studio 23's coverage of the UAAP.*

Kahit walang sariling station si __________________. Magbitiw lang ng salita si MVP na ikarga lahat ng TV spots ng PLDT/SMART/Talk n Text sa NCAA, tapos na ang UAAP.

Of course that will not happen, but if MVP does decide to boost the NCAA's popularity...he has the measn to do so.

LION
01-09-2007, 10:42 AM
;D*

I am confident that ________________ will not do that because Ateneo is with UAAP.* He will not compromise an alma matter just to favor another alma matter.* As far as I know, pantay ang suporta niya sa Ateneo at San Beda.*

___________________'s objective is just to give* the NCAA an opportunity to be a co-equal of the UAAP in terms of popularity* by providing the NCAA with a similar tv* coverage. Level the playing field. As to which league will be more popular, this* will now depend on the member schools, their respective students, alumni, the media and the general public.

mighty_lion
01-09-2007, 01:50 PM
Sino ba yan ______ na walang tv station? ??? pa-PM naman.

Anyway, Season 83 is several months away but see possibilities (in no particular order) coming:

1. MVP - Aljamal / Ekwe / Castro . I see Aljamals stats go higher as Marcelo and other incoming big-mans will eat-up some minutes from Ekwe. Castro will be the heart and soul of PCU, with Espinas out the team will be in good hands with the primary scoring coming from Castro + of course assists and steals to add a few.

2. Most Improved - Cagoco ;D Cagoco has illustrated his playmaking abilities for JRU last year. Next year, he is one of the few to watch out for.

3. ROY - Marcelo / UPHR Malaysian. ;D wala na akong kilalang ibang rookie eh. This will be a battle for playing minutes. Who ever has more minutes, the winner.

muddatrucker
01-09-2007, 08:37 PM

Hindi ako sigurado pero based sa usapan nila, baka yung mayamang basketball fan na may isang team na sinusuportahan sa NCAA at isa sa UAAP. ;)

danny
01-10-2007, 04:46 AM
;D*

I am confident that ________________ will not do that because Ateneo is with UAAP.* He will not compromise an alma matter just to favor another alma matter.* As far as I know, pantay ang suporta niya sa Ateneo at San Beda.*

___________________'s objective is just to give* the NCAA an opportunity to be a co-equal of the UAAP in terms of popularity* by providing the NCAA with a similar tv* coverage. Level the playing field.* As to which league will be more popular, this* will now depend on the member schools, their respective students, alumni, the media and the general public.

A competitive San Beda Red Lions is in the interest of the NCAA from a business point of view. The league even went out of its way to release a PR statement showcasing that the highest grossing NCAA games in recent memory involved San Beda. (Pero ha, pinagbawal tayong tumalikod tuwing half-time cheering. May Letter p kay FR. Rector. Ok lang. Tama din naman yun. Maloko lang talaga Bedista. ;D)

It is my belief that _____________support for the Red Lion's is anchored on the long term plan to make the squad a hot item in collegiate hoops. The plan seems to involve San Beda becoming a yearly contender that can* beat any team in any league at any given day.* A competitive San Beda may be his way of* proving the madness of having two competing leagues.*

It is an open secret that ________________ wants San Beda to be reunited with ancient foes in the other league or in a new league. (But this time the tactical alliance seem to have shifted. Blame _____________;D). But this is ___________ long term plan which he discussed with Fr. Rector.

For now, his all out support for the Red Lion's will benefit the NCAA. Other schools must welcome the resurgence of San Beda Seniors Basketball. This will be beneficial to everyone in further raising the calibre of competition, increasing the league's expsoure (Guess what? A January issue of another* lifestyle mag featured a Bedan NCAA hoopster.), and sustaining business viability while maintaining the league's amateur appeal. ;)

MonL
01-10-2007, 08:30 AM

Hindi ako sigurado pero based sa usapan nila, baka yung mayamang basketball fan na may isang team na sinusuportahan sa NCAA at isa sa UAAP.* ;)

Isang titik na lang, sapul mo na.... ;D

Last edit: Today , Jan 10, 8:55++ pm at some cafe in the boondocks.....D@#*!!! office network connections...there's none at all... >:(

mighty_lion
01-10-2007, 10:22 AM

Hindi ako sigurado pero based sa usapan nila, baka yung mayamang basketball fan na may isang team na sinusuportahan sa NCAA at isa sa UAAP.* ;)

Isang titik na lang, sapiul mo na.... ;D

Ah, ok. I never heard before that he was planning to acquire a TV station. Come February he will have the full resources to do so. I get to see him in at times in makati, patron side in araneta, and once in a meeting. Im lowly just a staff, he doesnt know that I exist. ;D

lekiboy
01-10-2007, 12:42 PM

Isang titik na lang, sapiul mo na.... ;D

Ah, ok. I never heard before that he was planning to acquire a TV station. Come February he will have the full resources to do so. I get to see him in at times in makati, patron side in araneta, and once in a meeting. Im lowly just a staff, he doesnt know that I exist. ;D

pakilala ka pare....at pakisabi na din na mag log in kamo sa gameface....:):):)

oca
01-10-2007, 01:23 PM
There in the Inquirer, 10 January page 2, related news to the "...PCGG", it reported about the privitization of both RPN9 and IBC13 ( down ang server ng inq7.net kaya wala tayong mailalagay na link).

It mentiones just two parties who are interested in buying these networks. One is MVP.

Tried to surf for other news. Saw an article dated May 2006. It also mentions MVP. So, hindi na pala ito bago at hindi rin naman secreto. Hindi lang ako nagbabasa ng kahit anong balita tungkol sa PCGG, these networks being under sequestration.

Called up a friend whom I know is knowledgeable on these issues. Opinyon niya, matagal pa raw bago ma-privitize ang mga TV stations na ito. Not before 2010. Sabi niya, these networks are very valuable in the propaganda campaign of GMA. Who will have to ensure that the next president will be benevolent towards her. Otherwise, patong-patong na kaso ang aabutin niya. Magagamit ang mga networks na ito to prime up "her candidate" in 2010.

Now, kung magipit ang administration and they would need to source funds, the sale of one may push through.

As for MVPs interest in acquiring a network. He is interested in acquiring the franchise and the network facilities only. But there are other assets under these networks and unless there will be a separate valuation between the network facilities and other assets and a separate sale, ayaw yata ni MVP.

Off topic na ba ako ?

Hindi naman..dahil ang punto ko ay-

Magtiyaga na muna ang mga taga-NCAA sa Studio23. Kahit second class citizen ang turing nila sa liga, wala rin naman pwedeng puntahang ibang station.

Wala pa...

LION
01-10-2007, 03:03 PM
^^ Actually may mapupuntahan naman, may ibang regular tv networks at cable sports networks like solar sports o basketball tv.

Di ko lang maintindihan kung bakit napakahina ng NCAA mancom. Ayaw magtrabaho.

oca
01-10-2007, 04:03 PM
^^ Actually may mapupuntahan naman, may ibang regular tv networks at cable sports networks like solar sports o basketball tv.

Di ko lang maintindihan* kung bakit napakahina ng NCAA mancom.* Ayaw magtrabaho.*

Mahirap yata yun. Cable channels kasi ang mga yan, magdadalawang isip ang mga advertisers/ sponsors dahil limited ang coverage/ viewership ng cable channel.

Ang matagal ko nang hinihintay ay yung tulad ng set-up dati ng PBA at Vintage. Vintage ang entity na may hawak ng marketing at TV production. Sila na rin ang bahala maghanap ng carrying station.

Sa ngayon kasi, hawak lahat ng Studio 23- marketing, production at carrying station.

Pwede marahil, mag-offer ang Solar Sports sa NCAA ng isang kontrata similar to that of the PBA and Vintage. Then bumili ng airtime sa isa sa local networks tulad ng NBN4, RPN9 or IBC13. Pwede rin ABC5, dahil hindi naman conflict ang collegiate basketball season with the PBA.

Paniwala ko kasi, hinding-hindi ipapatas ng Studio23 ang pagtrato sa NCAA at UAAP.

Aminado tayo na unang pumuwesto ang UAAP sa Studio23. Pero ngayong papaangat na uli ang NCAA, bibigyan ba yan ng Studio 23 ng tamang atensyon?

Highit sa lahat, may kontrata na ang UAAP at Studio23 sa weekend coverage. Makakasingit pa ba ang NCAA?

Kahit maibigay ang isa sa weekend playdate sa NCAA, pwede na.

Pero mangyari naman kaya yun?

Teka muna, sino ang nakakaalam kung kailan magtatapos ang kasalukuyang kontrata ng NCAA at Studio23?

Mang_Roger
01-21-2007, 01:18 PM
Beside San Beda and probably Letran, other schools in the NCAA are not willing to go the extra mile in helping the league boost its popularity. Takot. Take for example the venue. The league was having second thoughts of holding the Final Four in the Araneta because the other schools cannot commit a good turnout from their respective crowd.

Only San Beda was vigorous in pushing Araneta as the venue. The Mancom finally agreed when San Beda/Alumni Association guaranteed a certain number of crowd from Mendiola. I could safely say that San Beda alumni, students and fans bought 60% of all tickets sold during the Final Four including the game between Letran and PCU combined.

Students from most of the member schools are watching the games because of incentives like exemption from a P.E. class or additional grades, etc. Only a handful watches the game because of passion for their alma matter. Low turnout means low ticket sales which then translates to Class B and C venues.

Take for example PCU. No offense meant but during the finals, I felt like San Beda is up against a high school team in an intramurals game. A huge portion of their crowd are high school and elementary students. They merely occupied 20% of the seats.

LION
01-23-2007, 07:49 AM
^ University pa yan kuno ha. These schools are lucky because their junior teams play on the same day and they are assured of a steady supply of HS supporters. Kung walang NCAA juniors patay na sila.

Mang_Roger
01-23-2007, 09:00 AM
^ University pa yan kuno ha.* These schools are lucky because their junior teams play on the same day and they are assured of a steady supply of HS supporters. Kung walang NCAA juniors patay na sila.

The way I perceive it, most member schools are not that keen on giving the league the needed boost. Gusto rin nilang sumikat at umangat pero kung hindi, kuntento na. Patay tayo diyan.

lekiboy
01-23-2007, 09:13 AM
^ University pa yan kuno ha.* These schools are lucky because their junior teams play on the same day and they are assured of a steady supply of HS supporters. Kung walang NCAA juniors patay na sila.

The way I perceive it, most member schools are not that keen on giving the league the needed boost. Gusto rin nilang sumikat at umangat pero kung hindi, kuntento na.* Patay tayo diyan.

On a positive note, I think after season 82, we have brought a new tick to the league and hopefully, other schools will get the drift and jump on the bandwagon... new players, new market and new wave of changes.....but still the same champion for the next yearSSSS to come....

admu14
01-25-2007, 02:18 AM
ncaa would be in the same level as the uaap in next year's campaign..tv share was slowly up in the ncaa.the only reason why this happened is because of sam ekwe.his presence opened the opportunites.thanks sam.you are God's gift to the ncaa.

redlion123
01-25-2007, 11:15 AM
^^partly because DLSU's suspension na rin.

admu14
01-25-2007, 06:43 PM

i agree with you regarding this.i hope next year studio 23 would also cover the ncaa like what they did last season and the junior's games.

LION
01-26-2007, 01:50 PM

i agree with you regarding this.i hope next year studio 23 would also cover the ncaa like what they did last season and the junior's games.

I hope not.

redlion123
01-29-2007, 12:45 PM
^ medyo pangit nga coverage ng ncaa..sana we could have games on weekends, para samin mga alumni..and yung finals sana pakita ng buo yung half time cheer(putol nung finals eh)..sana icover din pati ibang sport like SOCCER..tsaka palitan yung mga ibang commentator or aleast magresearch sila ng facts nila mabuti..malimali kadalasan...

bRED_and_butter
01-29-2007, 06:48 PM
Qtv 11 na lang sana kunin kung tapos na kontrata sa 23. I believe that as long as studio 23 is the carrying station of the ncaa we will never get the right exposure that we need or shall i say we deserve. They will always prioritize uaap which is perceived to be the more glamorous and popular league. Kung ibang network na hahawak sa ncaa baka meron ng televised games on weekends...The problem rin kasi is lagi na lang san beda ang pumupuno ng mga venue pag may games. If we want the exposre we need other member schools should do their part.

oca
01-30-2007, 09:15 AM
Qtv 11 na lang sana kunin kung tapos na kontrata sa 23. I believe that as long as studio 23 is the carrying station of the ncaa we will never get the right exposure that we need or shall i say we deserve. They will always prioritize uaap which is perceived to be the more glamorous and popular league. Kung ibang network na hahawak sa ncaa baka meron ng televised games on weekends...The problem rin kasi is lagi na lang san beda ang pumupuno ng mga venue pag may games. If we want the exposre we need other member schools should do their part.

Parang manok at itlog yan...

Ano ang una?

Tumaas muna ang attendance ng ibang paaralan bago mangarap ang NC' ng mas magandang coverage? O dapat ba, gumanda muna ang coverage para gumanda rin ang suporta mula sa ibang paaralan?

Dapat yatang banggitin na bago hinawakan ng Studio 23 ang UAAP, nag-e-echo ang talbog ng bola sa mga venues. Kahit sa ngayon, ang weekday playdates nila ay walang pinag-iba sa NC'. Infact even some weekend playdates would have very, very few people in attendance.

Lamang lang talaga ang UAAP sa weekend playdates. It provides them a bigger audience for the most obvious reason.

Bigyan lang ng weekend playdate ang NC', itaga niyo sa bato, in 2 or 3 seasons the general public will see both leagues as co-equal.

rclionheart
02-09-2007, 05:35 PM
Yup, Oca's right. As I've mentioned before, a weekend playdate and TV coverage for the NCAA should do the trick in creating greater awareness of the league and would surely improve the gate attendance,sponsors and TV ratings since more alumni of the respective schools can watch, including the casual basketball fans/viewers (e.g. students, employees, outsiders who normally don't have work or classes during weekends)

The UAAP has enjoyed this "unfair advantage" for so many years already and the NCAA organizers have just been contented with the status quo and failed to realize this opportunity to further improve the league and boost its popularity and prestige.

anghusay
02-10-2007, 07:06 AM
what do you guys suggest? sabayan ng ncaa yung uaap coverage during weekends(assuming hindi na studio 23 ang may hawak sa ncaa) or the ncaa plays its weekend games during mornings para hindi conflict sa uaap? para maging almost whole day yung college basketball ala ESPN. UAAP 2-6pm NCAA 8am-12pm.

ESCALERA JR.
02-10-2007, 02:17 PM
^Good idea ! *Another suggestion is to alternate playing schedules in the afternoon weekend games.
Saturday: 1st live telecast starts at around 3pm with an NCAA lineup with the usual game panelist of competing schools complete with team analysis, player interviews, campus tours *and halftime cheering show.

After the 1st game in between long commercial break comes in the *2nd or Main Game between UAAP teams until 7pm. *

Sunday: main game naman ang NC after a Uaap appetizer.

Weekday games for NC on Thu. and fri for Uaap with 2 live games starting at 2pm and one replay at late night for those who can't catch it live.

In this setup, sponsors will be happy, all teams get equal exposure, both leagues will be winners.

Semenelin
02-20-2007, 08:30 PM
^ i actually like the weekend idea of yours.

pero sana yun weekdays two playing days for both schools i.e. T-TH for NC and W-F for UAAP. Lunes lng ang pahinga pero pwedeng may show kahit 30mins lng na magrereport kung anu ano ang mga nangyari sa nakaraang linggo. highlights and all...

joelex
02-24-2007, 02:29 AM
Mapua just appointed Leo Isaac, former PBA player and current head coach of Arellano University, as its head coach. Arellano is a consistently top ranking team in the NCRAA and is currently playing in the finals. Could this pave the way for unheralded but promising Arellano top guns Orlando Daroya and Gio Ciriacruz to the more glamorous NCAA?

anghusay
02-24-2007, 06:24 AM
Daroya and Ciria Cruz are on their 3rd playing year with the Arellano Chiefs. If they move to the NCAA, they will have to sit out next season before playing out their final year in 2008. Ciria Cruz has a younger brother playing out his last year for the Junior Chiefs. He could possibly be recruited by Coach Leo to play for the Mapua Cardinals.

Medyo OT, NCRAA finals between Arellano University and Emilio Aguinaldo College is tied at 1-1. The deciding game 3 is tentatively set on Wednesday Feb 28, 2007 at the Rizal Memorial. Games are very exciting and competitive. Check it out.

magnum_motoki
05-19-2007, 05:13 PM
Wala ba tayong news regarding sa preparations ng jru for this coming season 83?

Do we have a new commisioner already?

How about schedules this coming season?

Prospective line-ups and coaches?

sorry ha...excited na ako!! :)

ESCALERA JR.
05-20-2007, 04:13 PM
Replacing the late Comm. Jun Bernardino is Chito Narvasa.

JRU is this years host. As the new schoolyear draws nearer, expect the collegiate basketball fever to reach fever peak by mid June. Sure, lahat ng line-up on both Uaap and Ncaa maglalabasan na to be drumed up by no less than ABS Ch 23. In the meantime, relax lang!

AnthonyServinio
05-30-2007, 04:39 PM
* * *AS PART of their preparations for NCAA 83, the University of Perpetual Help-Dalta will be representing the Philippines in the 2007 Sister Cities Cup to be held in Jakarta, Indonesia this June 9 to 16.

* * *The Altas will be facing tough club and varsity teams from host Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, China, South Korea and Turkey

* * *The country was represented last year by Far Eastern and the year earlier by Adamson.* Perpetual got the organizers' nod because of the presence of two Indonesian students on its roster.

lekiboy
06-04-2007, 04:12 PM
SATURDAY, JUNE 23, 2007
2pm JRU vs SBC ARANETA ELIMS
4pm MIT vs LC ARANETA ELIMS
6pm UPHR vs SSC-R ARANETA ELIMS

WEDNESDAY, JUNE 27, 2007
2pm CSB vs MIT SAN JUAN - ARENA ELIMS
4pm SSC-R vs JRU SAN JUAN - ARENA ELIMS

FRIDAY, JUNE 29, 2007
2pm SBC vs UPHR SAN JUAN - ARENA ELIMS
4pm LC vs CSB SAN JUAN - ARENA ELIMS

WEDNESDAY, JULY 04, 2007
2pm CSB vs UPHR SAN JUAN - ARENA ELIMS
4pm MIT vs SBC SAN JUAN - ARENA ELIMS

FRIDAY, JULY 06, 2007
2pm LC vs SSC-R SAN JUAN - ARENA ELIMS
4pm JRU vs MIT SAN JUAN - ARENA ELIMS

WEDNESDAY, JULY 11, 2007
2pm SBC vs CSB SAN JUAN - ARENA ELIMS
4pm UPHR vs LC SAN JUAN - ARENA ELIMS

FRIDAY, JULY 13, 2007
2pm MIT vs SSC-R SAN JUAN - ARENA ELIMS
4pm CSB vs JRU SAN JUAN - ARENA ELIMS

WEDNESDAY, JULY 18, 2007
2pm SSC-R vs CSB SAN JUAN - ARENA ELIMS
4pm UPHR vs MIT SAN JUAN - ARENA ELIMS

FRIDAY, JULY 20, 2007
2pm LC vs JRU SAN JUAN - ARENA ELIMS
4pm SSC-R vs SBC SAN JUAN - ARENA ELIMS

WEDNESDAY, JULY 25, 2007
2pm JRU vs UPHR SAN JUAN - ARENA ELIMS
4pm SBC vs LC SAN JUAN - ARENA ELIMS

Howard the Duck
06-05-2007, 01:15 AM
parang bagong tradition yung LC-SBC game sa last gameday ah? ;D

danny
06-05-2007, 06:11 AM
parang bagong tradition yung LC-SBC game sa last gameday ah? ;D

Really? I haven't noticed. That's a good sign.

Glad to know that San Beda's basketball* program has slowly gained respect and credibility among our peers. Letran has always been a basketball powerhouse. It's* an honor to battle a great squad with so much history and tradition.

Besides the San Beda-Letran and San Beda-PCU games last year shattered NCAA sales record. I bet the NCAA is hoping for a repeat performance. :D

danny
06-05-2007, 06:20 AM
SATURDAY, JUNE 23, 2007
2pm JRU vs SBC ARANETA ELIMS
4pm MIT vs LC ARANETA ELIMS
6pm UPHR vs SSC-R ARANETA ELIMS

WEDNESDAY, JUNE 27, 2007
2pm CSB vs MIT SAN JUAN - ARENA ELIMS
4pm SSC-R vs JRU SAN JUAN - ARENA ELIMS

FRIDAY, JUNE 29, 2007
2pm SBC vs UPHR SAN JUAN - ARENA ELIMS
4pm LC vs CSB SAN JUAN - ARENA ELIMS

WEDNESDAY, JULY 04, 2007
2pm CSB vs UPHR SAN JUAN - ARENA ELIMS
4pm MIT vs SBC SAN JUAN - ARENA ELIMS

FRIDAY, JULY 06, 2007
2pm LC vs SSC-R SAN JUAN - ARENA ELIMS
4pm JRU vs MIT SAN JUAN - ARENA ELIMS

WEDNESDAY, JULY 11, 2007
2pm SBC vs CSB SAN JUAN - ARENA ELIMS
4pm UPHR vs LC SAN JUAN - ARENA ELIMS

FRIDAY, JULY 13, 2007
2pm MIT vs SSC-R SAN JUAN - ARENA ELIMS
4pm CSB vs JRU SAN JUAN - ARENA ELIMS

WEDNESDAY, JULY 18, 2007
2pm SSC-R vs CSB SAN JUAN - ARENA ELIMS
4pm UPHR vs MIT SAN JUAN - ARENA ELIMS

FRIDAY, JULY 20, 2007
2pm LC vs JRU SAN JUAN - ARENA ELIMS
4pm SSC-R vs SBC SAN JUAN - ARENA ELIMS

WEDNESDAY, JULY 25, 2007
2pm JRU vs UPHR SAN JUAN - ARENA ELIMS
4pm SBC vs LC SAN JUAN - ARENA ELIMS

Pre, wala pang paraan para mapanood over the net ang mga laban ng Red Lions? Yung mga VL/SL niyo, oks na ba? ;D

lekiboy
06-05-2007, 07:38 AM
ok na..may telecommute naman ako every FRI...ang problema na lang ay yung WED - siguradong leave itong mga ito/
si LION, kakausapin na lang ang mga judge at bibigyan na lang daw ng ticket. ;D

LION
06-05-2007, 07:50 AM
My VLs have been filed in advance although not for all the games. Papatayin ako ng boss ko hehehe.

I am planning to buy a personal DVD player with TV so I can surreptitiously watch the Studio 23 telecast at the office. I saw one in HK last month being sold at about P8k but wife didn't want me to buy. Now I have to buy it here at twice the cost. >:(

lekiboy
06-05-2007, 07:54 AM
My VLs have been filed in advance although not for all the games.* Papatayin ako ng boss ko hehehe.

I am planning to buy a personal DVD player with TV so I can surreptitiously watch the Studio 23 telecast at the office.* I saw one in HK last month* being sold at about P8k but wife didn't want me to buy.* Now I have to buy it here at twice the cost.* *>:(

hay...plans, plans..... eventually, i will be seeing you in the games....mga tumakas na bilanggo!!! ;D ;D

mighty_lion
06-05-2007, 08:09 AM
yan ang bisyong mahirap para sa ating lahat na iwan. ;D kung mangaaway si misis, madali lang gawan ng argumento yan. aba kesa naman yosi, alak at babae ang pagkaabalahan ko??? NCAA na lang :D

LION
06-05-2007, 08:23 AM
Tama ka pareng lekiboy at mighty_lion. Bakit ba ganun ang mga misis, di naman natin kamag anak o kadugo pero kinukuha ang mga sweldo natin. Sila pa ang nasusunod sa bahay. Aba aba aba nasaaan ba ang mga Gabriela na yan. ;D

Dapat matuwa sila. Buti nga basketball lang ang bisyo natin, hindi alak at babae. ::)

lekiboy
06-05-2007, 08:25 AM
yan ang bisyong mahirap para sa ating lahat na iwan.* ;D kung mangaaway si misis, madali lang gawan ng argumento yan. aba kesa naman yosi, alak at babae ang pagkaabalahan ko??? NCAA na lang* *:D

bwahahaha....

another good tip - isama ang wife at kid(s) sa games...buy them the shirts, head gear, etc...eventually, they will get the disease. :) ----- they will even alert you when other teams are copying your cheers!!! bwahahaha

casual_observer
06-05-2007, 08:55 AM
nakakainggit naman kayo sa NCAA. matino ang venue niyo (The Arena in San Juan) kumpara sa amin sa UAAP (Ninoy Aquino Stadium), all c/o UST. :-[

razor
06-05-2007, 09:39 AM
I am planning to buy a personal DVD player with TV so I can surreptitiously watch the Studio 23 telecast at the office. I saw one in HK last month being sold at about P8k but wife didn't want me to buy. Now I have to buy it here at twice the cost. >:(

Pre, 5" LCD car TV (with AC adaptor) mura lang at around 5k. ;D

Pwede rin TV tuner for laptop para hindi masyado obvious.

LION
06-05-2007, 09:47 AM
Sige pare usap tayo sa next game against NU. June 11 yata hehehe.

The car tv is obvious. Di pwede.

Di rin pwede sa laptop ko. Our ISD guys removed all the multi-media and other entertainment features of our unit. VCD player lang natira e hehehe.

christian
06-05-2007, 09:53 AM
Mga sirs, what happened to Ed Cordero? UAAP commish yata sya, how about his asst. coaching job with SBC?

LION
06-05-2007, 10:04 AM
Mga sirs, what happened to Ed Cordero? UAAP commish yata sya, how about his asst. coaching job with SBC?

Parang di ko na siya nakita nung game agaisnt PCU. Si Boni Garcia na lang ang nakita ko sa SBC bench.

lekiboy
06-05-2007, 05:12 PM

Parang di ko na siya nakita nung game agaisnt PCU. Si Boni Garcia na lang ang nakita ko sa SBC bench.

e di si jude roque na dapat ang ipalit... :)

oca
06-06-2007, 08:46 AM
Dahil Kume na nga sa UAAP si Cordero, IMO, mas makakabuti para sa SBC ang mag-resign si Cordero as asst. coach.

Bakit?

On the issue of "referee".

As UAAP Kume the refs are under his supervision. Regardless who does the officiating at the UAAP or NCAA may complications yan that will not help the Red Lions' cause.

christian
06-06-2007, 10:09 AM
Thank you. I didn't see him either the lsat two games. Anyway, whatever will help our campign this season, so be it.

lekiboy
06-06-2007, 07:31 PM
Dahil Kume na nga sa UAAP si Cordero, IMO, mas makakabuti para sa SBC ang mag-resign si Cordero as asst. coach.

Bakit?

As UAAP Kume the refs are under his supervision. Regardless who does the officiating at the UAAP or NCAA may complications yan that will not help the Red Lions' cause.

that is called INEGRITY and DELICADEZA...saan na nga ba si Jude?

Joescoundrel
06-07-2007, 09:51 AM
Gentlemen (and Ladies if there be any), would any of you be so kind as to post the lineups and coaches of the respective teams? I assume since your opening day is just a couple of weeks away that all NCAA member-schools now have their basketball lineups all set, Seniors and Juniors.

oca
06-07-2007, 10:02 AM

Bakit?

that is called INEGRITY and* DELICADEZA...saan na nga ba si Jude?

Baka lang di tama ang dating sa ibang babasa, allow me to make clear what I really meant.

The issue here is not the integrity or delicadeza as it relates to Cordero mismo. But to the referee's association who will be tasked to make the calls.

Assume NABRO officiates in both the UAAP and NCAA.

Ano sa palagay ninyo ang magiging usapan with Cordero sitting as Kume at the UAAP and Red Lion Assistant Coach sa NCAA?
Tiyak di maganda. More so in games that will have questionable calls at end game with San Beda as winner.

Assume NABRO losses its UAAP account but officiates at the NCAA.

Sa palagay niyo ba ay hindi mapapansin ng mga referee si Cordero sa Red Lions' bench? They just lost a substantial amount of money in losing the UAAP account. Tao lang yan mga refs.

At this time there is no official statement as who will do the officiating at both leagues. Ano pa man, with Cordero as UAAP Kume, malinaw ang complications kahit sino ang maatasang humawak ng pito.

At yung may hawak ng pito ang isyu. Nataon lang ang complication dahil sa paghirang kay Cordero as UAAP Kume.

Sa mga veteran observers, huwag ihalintulad ang situation sa panahon na naging Kume at Asst. Kume si Badolato sa UAAP and at the same coach and Red Cubs at Athletic Director ng SBC. During those times the Red Cubs were clearly dominant and the Red Lions were still aspiring to be competitive and a non-F4 team. Whatever the refs does will not change the fate of the Red and White, mapa Srs or Jrs.

Pero iba ang situation ngayon. The Red Lions are aiming for dominance. Iwasan na magkaroon ng kulay ang officiating.

IMO, mas makakabuti bitawan ni Cordero ang posisyon niya sa Red Lions para huwag na mabigyan ng kulay o malisya ang magiging tawagan pag may laban ang Red Lions.

Yung referees group ang inaalala ko at hindi ang integridad ni Cordero.

lekiboy
06-07-2007, 10:55 AM
Oca,
I was referring to the integirty and delicadeza of all parties to avoid issues and malice on the game.
I think we are on the same plane.

If Cordero's presence or decisions will have a positive or negative effect on us, it still better to avoid those complications. We do not need them.

ESCALERA JR.
06-09-2007, 11:02 AM
Just like DLSU' one year hiatus in the UAAP, the PCU Dolphins missing this years NCAA would create scramble for the #2 spot. #1 is already assured for the SanBeda RL considering their almost intact line-up.

The not so talked about teams of the past seasons have suddenly emerge as contenders.

Surprisingly, among the favourites are the JRU Bombers who have made the loudest noise during the summer and the very quiet but dangerous "PERPS" from UPHDS. Lets see how their 2 gangling imports fare against the Nigerian behemoth.

Even the CSB Blazers or MIT can squeeze in the f4.

The once mighty LetranKnights in the past 4 seasons would now be relegated to supporting roles this time around, while the Stags remain on the rebuilding stage with their new coach and a bunch of new players.

Go NCAA

gameface_one
06-09-2007, 02:23 PM
Who will challenge San Beda this year?

By Marc Anthony Reyes
Inquirer
Last updated 02:56am (Mla time) 06/09/2007

MANILA, Philippines—The battle-cry in this year’s NCAA cage wars will be “Get San Beda.”

The defending varsity basketball champion Red Lions, fresh from training in the United States, will have their hands full trying to retain the crown when the NCAA begins its 83rd season on June 25.

“It’s going to be an exciting season,”’ said NCAA president Paul Supan of host Jose Rizal University during yesterday’s Scoop sa Kamayan session.

He reported that teams have stepped up training in order to stop the Red Lions, despite the fact that the only team that managed to challenge them in the final is sitting out a one-year suspension.

Philippine Christian University, sanctioned for using ineligible players last season, is a perennial title contender and a major fixture in the Final Four.

“The competition will be stiffer,” predicted Letran coach Louie Alas. “The other teams in the lower bracket have a chance since PCU has always been a shoo-in for the Final Four in the past seasons.”

JRU coach Ariel Vanguardia said: “All teams are equal in terms of strength. San Beda will be a seeded team but after them, it will be a tight battle for the other Final Four slots.”

“We know that this season will be a tough one,” said San Beda assistant coach JB Sison. “Everybody will be going after us.”

Other teams jostling for school pride are University of Perpetual Help-Dalta, San Sebastian-Recoletos, St. Benilde and Mapua.

LION
06-12-2007, 07:20 AM
Oca,
I was referring to the integirty and delicadeza of all parties to avoid issues and malice on the game.
I think we are on the same plane.

If Cordero's presence or decisions will have a positive or negative effect on us, it still better to avoid those complications. We do not need them.

Asst. Coach Ed Cordero sat on the bench of the Red Lions yesterday in the game against UE - and he saw how inept the referees were in that game.

oca
06-12-2007, 12:53 PM
Asst. Coach Ed Cordero sat on the bench of the Red Lions yesterday in the game against UE - and he saw how inept the referees were in that game.*

Pag yang grupong yan ang hahawak ng pito sa NCAA at HINDI sila kinuha ni Cordero para sa UAAP, MAGIGING MAINIT ANG MATA NANG MGA YAN RED LIONS.

Pag kinuha naman sila ni Cordero, sakit ng ulo naman ang aabutin niya dala ng inaasahang sangkaterbang reklamo sa UAAP.

Walang panalo si Cordero sa kalagayan niyang ito, liban na lang kung hindi kukunin ang grupong ito ng parehong NCAA at UAAP.

Joescoundrel
06-18-2007, 10:05 AM
No lineups yet? Paging Anthony Servinio!

gameface_one
06-19-2007, 11:19 AM
Lions fancied to repeat In 7-team NCAA hoop

By JOEY VILLAR
The Philippine Star

The National Collegiate Athletic Association unwraps its 83rd season on Saturday at the Araneta Coliseum with the title chase as competitive as ever despite having a depleted seven-team field.

San Beda goes for a back-to-back crown on a squad built around Sam Ekwe, the Nigerian behemoth who helped power the team to last year’s title romp over Philippine Christian University.

PCU, however, will be sorely missed this year after the NCAA board suspended the school for one year for player "identity switching."

But league officials remain upbeat of the new season even without PCU, vowing to steer the league to greater heights and try to live up to this year’s theme – Soaring High at 83.

"We’ll soar high even though we’re just seven schools this year," said league president and board chair Vince Fabella of Jose Rizal in Monday’s press conference at the ELJ Building in Quezon City.

PCU’s absence would mean one less problem for San Beda, easily the team to beat with Ekwe at the helm and with a new coach in Frankie Lim, who replaced last year’s winning mentor Koy Banal.

"They have Ekwe, they have a good coach and they’re intact. That makes them tough to beat this year," said Jose Rizal mentor Ariel Vanguardia. "After them, it’s going to be a tough fight for us remaining six."

As hosts, the Bombers will get the honor to challenge the reigning champs in the 2 p.m. opener of a triple-bill, which also features the Mapua-Letran clash at 4 p.m. and the San Sebastian-Perpetual Help encounter at 6 p.m.

"San Beda is the team to beat, no doubt about it," said Letran coach Louie Alas, who steered the Muralla-based school to titles in 1998, 2003 and 2005. "But we will go out there fighting."

However, Lim opted to downplay his team’s chances, saying it’s never going to be easy. "It’s hard to be No. 1 but it’s harder to stay No. 1," Lim said. "It’s not going to be a walk in the park for us."

Aside from Ekwe, the other Lions seeing action are 2006 Finals MVP Yousif Aljamal, Pong Escobal, Riego Gamalinda, Rogemar Menor, Raymund Maggay and sophomore John Hermida.

"I don’t want to single out any team but I think Mapua is unpredictable," said Lim. "We’ve played them in the pre-season and I think they have improved a lot under Leo Isaac, he’s really a good coach."

gameface_one
06-19-2007, 11:29 AM
With PCU out, SBC is top favorite

By WAYLON GALVEZ
mb.com.ph

WITH AN almost intact line-up, San Beda College is tipped to retain its men’s basketball title when the 83rd National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) gets going this Saturday at the Araneta Coliseum.

The triumvirate of Nigerian bigman Sam Ekwe, forward Yousif Aljamal and guard Pong Escobal is the reason why the Red Lions have been rated as the toughest team to beat this season.

While the 6-foot-3 Aljamal and Escobal provide stability and firepower, the 6-foot-9 Ekwe is again expected to terrorize their opponents with his ferocious rebounding.

Another reason is the absence of last year’s losing finalist Philippine Chrisian Univerity, which was suspended for one year for violating a league rule.

A member of the PCU Baby Dolphins was found to have "switched" his identity with his cousin to enable him to play in the high school division and that led to PCU’s suspension in the country’s oldest collegiate league.

"Without Philippine Christian University, it’s safe to say that San Beda is already seeded in the finals," Jose Rizal University coach Ariel Vanguardia.

If not for its suspension, PCU should be a strong title contender due to the presence of PBL back-to-back MVP winner Jason Castro and the vastly improving Beau Belga.

The other finals berth, according to Vanguardia, will be a wide open race for the six other teams – JRU, Mapua, Letran, Perpetual Help, St. Benilde and San Sebastian.

Despite having a new coach in ex-pro and one-time San Beda player Frankie Lim, the Red Lions have prepared hard and long enough in their desire to win for the second straight year. They even underwent a 16-day training in the United States to further polish their skills.

Lim, who replaced Koy Banal, said the pressure is getting bigger each day for him, much more with expectation of the entire San Beda community and the league coaches.

Despite this, Lim said they will be ready.

"If it’s hard to be on top, but it’s much harder to stay on top," said Lim. "This will not be a walk in the park for us. Whether you are the champion or not, the pressure is always there."

San Beda defeated PCU last year in a classic three-game series.

Like San Beda, Mapua and San Sebastian will be handled by new but veteran coaches.

Jorge Gallent, who steered Harbour Centre to three straight championships, will be San Sebastian’s new mentor, while Leo Isaac will be calling the shots for the Cardinals.

St. Benilde’s Caloy Garcia will bring back veteran playmaker Paolo Orbeta and forward Chris Cabatu in the hope of making it to the Final Four once again while Letran coach Louie Alas, who lost key players Aaron Aban and Boyet Bautista to the PBA, will rely on his holdovers, led by Marco Quinday.

Perpetual, however, is believed to be the dark horse this year as it tapped two Indonesian players, 6-foot-9 Thoyib Isman and 6-foot-6 Ryan Frebyan.

"Wala talagang angat na angat except for San Beda. But we’re doing fine this year," said Perpetual coach Bai Cristobal.

joelex
08-05-2007, 01:55 PM
can anyone kindly post the list of NCAA players playing thier last year this season? thank you. :)

jayverns
08-12-2007, 09:41 PM
sa San Beda, si Yousif Aljamal at si Raymond Maggay,sa Mapua sila Kelvin Dela Pena, Sean Co, at Jerby Del Rosario. yung ibang team hindi ko na alam.

eggyboi
09-04-2007, 09:45 PM
what lies ahead??? upsets!!! hahaha!!! :)

aircanda
09-04-2007, 10:26 PM
what lies ahead??? upsets!!! hahaha!!! :)

feeling q makakapasok mit sa finals..
hehehe..
wag sana magalit ang mga leon..
pero dame kcng iniicp ng sbc eh..
from yousif's issue to the brawling incident..
who knows?mapua might produce an upset?..

mighty_lion
09-04-2007, 10:28 PM
sa San Beda, si Yousif Aljamal at si Raymond Maggay,sa Mapua sila Kelvin Dela Pena, Sean Co, at Jerby Del Rosario. yung ibang team hindi ko na alam.

Can anyone confirm this, last year na ni Dela Pena?

Howard the Duck
09-04-2007, 10:37 PM

KDL is the ROY on season 81, therefore he still has 2 more seasons to go, if he doesn't go overage

Howard the Duck
09-04-2007, 10:38 PM

KDP is the ROY on season 81, therefore he still has 2 more seasons to go, if he doesn't go overage

jayverns
09-05-2007, 12:13 AM
oops my bad! ilan taon na ba si Kelvin? may nakakaalam ba dito?

bluegirl
09-05-2007, 12:41 PM
oops my bad! ilan taon na ba si Kelvin? may nakakaalam ba dito?

i'm not sure about the exact age, but i don't think he's more than 22 yrs old.

toti_mendiola
09-05-2007, 01:41 PM
KD was 21 in his NCAA debut if my memory serves me right, that will make him 23yo this season.

danny
09-07-2007, 06:43 AM
Three more for the Red School!

Animo San Beda!

Plugging lang ha:

"Animo means courage......."- elder La Sallite
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhUafBrku14

:D

lekiboy
09-07-2007, 09:08 AM
Three more for the Red School!

Animo San Beda!

Plugging lang* ha:

"Animo means courage......."- elder La Sallite
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhUafBrku14

:D

3 more then we're out... :) of the league....

indian
09-07-2007, 01:19 PM

lilipat na tayo?? ??? ;)

christian
09-07-2007, 01:20 PM
Hahaha wag muna sir alex... ;D

eggyboi
09-07-2007, 01:51 PM
malapit ng matapos ang season 83... and still para sakin wala pa ring cguradong mag cha champion...
;D

christian
09-07-2007, 03:42 PM
Of course, no one's sure who will win the championship this season. As it is, we are the defending champs and we will defend it come what may ;D

toti_mendiola
09-13-2007, 12:48 AM
Shared a couple of San mig with rolly"buffer" manlapat, varsity pala siya ng San Beda dati sa track and field. Kaya pala macho. ;D

LION
09-13-2007, 07:20 AM
And due to popular demand from the beer guzzling Bedans last night, Rolly entertained us with his now famous "FAUUUUUUUNNNNNDOOOOOOOO" trademark sans the PA system.

He studied in San Beda for a year before moving to Katipunan.

toti_mendiola
09-13-2007, 07:34 AM
At kya pala maaling mag modulate ng boses itong si rolly eh songer pala at naging member ng San Beda Glee Club.
Kaya pala matulis at matinik sa chicks. ;D

chief
09-13-2007, 06:10 PM

lilipat na tayo?? ???* ;)

interesting to note... which team would MVP support?

jayverns
09-17-2007, 10:31 PM
^^hindi naman totoo yan diba? sabi-sabi lang.

Gym_Rat
10-08-2007, 10:17 PM
The road has reached its end. Season 83 is over. And so are discussions on this thread.