PDA

View Full Version : To those who have been asking if Bono is returning for UAAP 70...

kaybee07
12-29-2006, 11:30 AM
...the answer most likely is NO. :(

GHRanger
12-29-2006, 02:35 PM
If that's the case, then Adamson will have a tough time next year.* Ken has finally found the consistency needed to carry and lead his team.* He will leave a big void (literally and figuratively) on the court.* ;D

Sayang lang, sana mas gagaling at mas magiging consistent pa siya pagkatapos ng isa pang taon sa UAAP.

Well, good luck to him, wherever he chooses to go.*

5FootCarrot
12-30-2006, 08:51 AM
I'm sure Adamson fans are disappointed at this development and are hoping that Ken changes his mind.

It makes sense, however, that he would be leaning towards getting out of collegiate ball and taking steps towards the PBA at this point in time. His draft prospects are high following Adamson's first final four stint and his winning the UAAP MVP trophy. If he stays another year, baka ano pa ang mangyari to adversely affect his chances at the pros *knocks wood*

Anyway, I am sure that his decision, whether to go or stay, will be for the best. I don't think that this is the last the public will hear or see of him :) Good luck to Ken in all his future endeavors!

Sam Miguel
01-15-2007, 04:21 PM
In the last edition of the Sunday Inquirer Magazine Ken Bono said the PBA was not the most important thing on his mind right now.

What is the first thing on his mind?

GETTING MARRIED.

That is one lucky woman. It isn't everyday you get hitched to a UAAP MVP as well as a future PBA All Star.

Although I suspect the young lady must also be a very special woman to merit the affection of a hardcore hoops demigod... ;)

JonarSabilano
01-15-2007, 04:35 PM
In the last edition of the Sunday Inquirer Magazine Ken Bono said the PBA was not the most important thing on his mind right now.

What is the first thing on his mind?

GETTING MARRIED.

That is one lucky woman. It isn't everyday you get hitched to a UAAP MVP as well as a future PBA All Star.

Although I suspect the young lady must also be a very special woman to merit the affection of a hardcore hoops demigod... ;)

Maya Montecillo was once a courtside reporter for both the PBL and the NBC. Atenista 'yan. Manager ng track team namin dati. Ken and Maya are both lucky to have each other.

kaybee07
03-27-2007, 08:25 AM
I think this confirms everything...

Bono, Cruz leave UAAP, set sights on PBA
By Joey Villar
The Philippine Star 03/25/2007

Adamson’s Ken Bono and University of the Philippines’ Marvin Cruz, two of the best performers in college basketball last year, will not be returning to their respective schools for the coming UAAP season.

Bono, the 2006 UAAP MVP, and Cruz, a member of the UAAP First Mythical Team, have both decided to forgo the final year of their eligibility in the UAAP to make themselves available for the PBA rookie draft in August.

"He’s applying for the PBA draft," said a source close to Bono.

Bono was reportedly disappointed with the Marcelino-based school’s decision to cut his monthly allowance just a few weeks after powering the Falcons to their first ever Final Four appearance since the format was introduced in the league in the 90s.

"I guess Adamson didn’t need Ken anymore because they cut his allowance after the last UAAP campaign," said the same source.

5FootCarrot
03-27-2007, 11:39 AM
Yup, when I read that article, I thought it would finally put an end to the speculation.

It's sad that Ken Bono's conflict with the Adamson admin came to light, but hopefully this will be a lesson to the admin to be more careful about their relationships with the players.

kaybee07
03-27-2007, 04:03 PM
^
Hi carrot!

At least you knew the truth na long before that newspaper article came out. It pays to be an insider doesn't it? Hehe* :)

Anyway a friend told me na may nag-iissue daw sa PEx that Adamson took away Ken's allowance because he stopped attending the Falcons' practices. Let me just confirm that Ken stopped going to Adamson after the school took away his allowance and not the other way around. Actually nag-enroll pa sya doon this semester all the while thinking that the school will continue giving him his allowance if not increase it. After all, wala naman silang narinig na reklamo dun sa tao nung hindi nila sya binigyan for winning the MVP award last season. At alam naman nilang lahat na si Ken lang ang bumubuhay sa family nya sa Iloilo. He thought that his good performance in the UAAP merited enough for his school to give him a little something to help out with his family's everyday expenses in the province.

But now we all know that none of his expectations were met. And if the issue on PEx is to be believed, si Ken pa ngayon ang napapasama.

Knowing the people who run the school hindi naman aamin ng kakulangan yan and they will always find reasons to put Ken in a bad light. A lot of the posters on PEx who claim that he has an attitude problem come from his own school, and a lot of those who defend him or try to find out his side of the story muna before passing judgment are supporters of other teams. Weird but true.

joelex
03-28-2007, 12:28 AM
why did ken bono snub the invite for the seaba team as stated in the papers recenty, if true at all? :)

kaybee07
03-28-2007, 07:09 AM
Hi joelex..

Ken was never invited by Harbour to try out for the SEABA team. Nagulat na nga lang kami his name was in the papers, eh. I guess people just assumed that since his point production in the UAAP and PBL were high that he would be a candidate for the RP team that's why they thought he was invited.

Harbour practices after Cebuana everyday at Reyes Gym. If they were really interested in the guy kahit siguro utility boy ng Harbour magsasabi kay Ken na umattend ng tryout but the invitation never came.

Ok lang naman kay Ken yun. He trains twice a day everyday in preparation for the coming months of competition. He is also training with a plyometrics coach at Club 650 Libis to work on his footwork. Sabi nya he will just focus on his PBL and hopefully be drafted by Welcoat in the PBA later this year.

AnthonyServinio
03-28-2007, 09:49 AM
Ken was never invited by Harbour to try out for the SEABA team.
* * *Kailangan pa ba hintayin ang imbitasyon para mag try-out sa pambansang koponan?!* Before, players would literaly kill just for the opportunity and invitation to try out, sometimes going to the training camp uninvited.* And all this trouble for only a pair of new rubber shoes and a uniform with the name "Philippines" on it.* They never asked about how much allowance or if they will get food and lodging while training.* Oh well, to each his own set of values of the game!

Kid Cubao
03-28-2007, 12:04 PM
ewan ko lang, pero nung unang napagkasunduan na harbour centre ang ipadadala sa SEABA, ang pagka-intindi ng marami ay heto na nga yung team, kumbaga wala nang huhugutin mula sa ibang koponan. sa mga susunod na balita ko na lang nalamang naghahanap pa pala ng reinforcements si coach junel baculi.

what i'm trying to say is that medyo iba yung halimbawa nito compared to the open tryouts sought by coaches ron jacobs and chot reyes some time ago. sa open tryouts, di kelangan ng imbitasyon--pati mga kusinero sa tapsihan ni vivian pwedeng makilahok. however, in a set-up in which practically two-thirds of the team is already accounted for, it appears that coach junel had a short list of players he is considering for inclusion, including ken bono. ngayon, kung di sya sumipot, dalawa lang ibig sabihin nun: di sya interesado, o wala syang balita. baka naman wala talagang nakarating na imbitasyon sa kanya.

as for me, i think ken bono is a heck of a player who wouldn't ever let this opportunity pass to don the national colors so he can kick foreign ass ;D

kaybee07
03-28-2007, 03:22 PM
Ken was never invited by Harbour to try out for the SEABA team.
Kailangan pa ba hintayin ang imbitasyon para mag try-out sa pambansang koponan?! Before, players would literaly kill just for the opportunity and invitation to try out, sometimes going to the training camp uninvited. And all this trouble for only a pair of new rubber shoes and a uniform with the name "Philippines" on it. They never asked about how much allowance or if they will get food and lodging while training. Oh well, to each his own set of values of the game!

The tryouts were by invitation naman talaga that's why only a handful showed up. Mahirap naman ipilit ang sarili lalo na't halos buo na naman ang team na ipapadala ng Harbour. Pareho kami ng pagkakaalam ni Kid Cubao, reinforcements na lang naman ang hinanap dun sa team na yun.

Ranger
03-28-2007, 05:07 PM
^
Hi carrot!

At least you knew the truth na long before that newspaper article came out. It pays to be an insider doesn't it? Hehe :)

Anyway a friend told me na may nag-iissue daw sa PEx that Adamson took away Ken's allowance because he stopped attending the Falcons' practices. Let me just confirm that Ken stopped going to Adamson after the school took away his allowance and not the other way around. Actually nag-enroll pa sya doon this semester all the while thinking that the school will continue giving him his allowance if not increase it. After all, wala naman silang narinig na reklamo dun sa tao nung hindi nila sya binigyan for winning the MVP award last season. At alam naman nilang lahat na si Ken lang ang bumubuhay sa family nya sa Iloilo. He thought that his good performance in the UAAP merited enough for his school to give him a little something to help out with his family's everyday expenses in the province.

But now we all know that none of his expectations were met. And if the issue on PEx is to be believed, si Ken pa ngayon ang napapasama.

Knowing the people who run the scho :(ol hindi naman aamin ng kakulangan yan and they will always find reasons to put Ken in a bad light. A lot of the posters on PEx who claim that he has an attitude problem come from his own school, and a lot of those who defend him or try to find out his side of the story muna before passing judgment are supporters of other teams. Weird but true.

Ken Bono is free to do whatever he wants. It just leaves a bad taste because the impression I'm getting is that Ken only went to Adamson in exchange for the compensation he was receiving. I would think that since he has been playing in the PBL already for the past two years, and having a steady income, the school would be able to stop subsidizing his expenses. Unfortunately, it appears he was still expecting a raise because of his MVP award. :o

Mateen Cleaves
03-28-2007, 07:56 PM
ewan ko lang, pero nung unang napagkasunduan na harbour centre ang ipadadala sa SEABA, ang pagka-intindi ng marami ay heto na nga yung team, kumbaga wala nang huhugutin mula sa ibang koponan. sa mga susunod na balita ko na lang nalamang naghahanap pa pala ng reinforcements si coach junel baculi.

what i'm trying to say is that medyo iba yung halimbawa nito compared to the open tryouts sought by coaches ron jacobs and chot reyes some time ago. sa open tryouts, di kelangan ng imbitasyon--pati mga kusinero sa tapsihan ni vivian pwedeng makilahok. however, in a set-up in which practically two-thirds of the team is already accounted for, it appears that coach junel had a short list of players he is considering for inclusion, including ken bono. ngayon, kung di sya sumipot, dalawa lang ibig sabihin nun: di sya interesado, o wala syang balita. baka naman wala talagang nakarating na imbitasyon sa kanya.

Paki-linaw lang nga... Hindi ba't Champion's Cup ang sasalihan ng Harbour. In other word's Interclub lang 'to ng SEA. Hindi talaga national team ito. Hindi naman Pilipinas ang tatanghalin na panalo e -- Harbour Centre. O mali ba ang pagkaintindi ko?

Off-topic: Ang tapsihan ba ni vivian yung malapit sa dating aurora market? Sa bandang batino ba 'yon? Di ko na matandaan yung kalye pero may gasolinahan ata na malapit din? ;D

kaybee07
03-28-2007, 08:15 PM
Ken Bono is free to do whatever he wants. It just leaves a bad taste because the impression I'm getting is that Ken only went to Adamson in exchange for the compensation he was receiving. I would think that since he has been playing in the PBL already for the past two years, and having a steady income, the school would be able to stop subsidizing his expenses. Unfortunately, it appears he was still expecting a raise because of his MVP award.* :o

Hi Ranger...

Ken Bono was recruited by Luigi Trillo (in behalf of Adamson) so that he can support his mom, grandmother and adopted sisters in Iloilo. To this day he is the sole breadwinner of his family.

From your post I can see that you share the same mindset as the AdU administration, that Ken doesn't need his meager allowance from the school since he is already earning from the PBL. But I don't think that's reason enough to take away his monthly stipend from the school. Bakit sila magdedesisyon kung kailangan o hindi ng tao yung pera? At ano naman ineexpect nila, na maglaro ng libre sa kanila yung tao?! Wala naman atang gumagawa nun unless galing sa mayamang pamilya at hindi na talaga nangangailangan ng pera. And we all know that Ken does not come from that kind of background.

By the way, the maximum salary in the PBL is only 35 thousand pesos a month excluding taxes. Even if he was receiving this amount, it's not going to make Ken a rich man especially since things aren't exactly getting cheaper nowadays. Add to the fact that he's spending for his upcoming wedding in a few months. Every cent counts for this guy.

Human nature dictates that a student-athlete who brought honor to his school would expect a raise in his compensation, but honestly all Ken ever wanted was to continue receiving the same amount he was getting since his rookie year in Adamson. But the way things turned out kahit yun hindi magawa para sa kanya ng school nya.

Kid Cubao
03-29-2007, 08:26 AM
tama ka dyan mateen, hindi naman talaga pang-national team yung ipadadala sa ganitong torneyo, inter-club kasi itong SEABA cup. may mga import ngang kasali, at si julius nwosu ang kinuha ng red bull, este, harbour ;D

oo, tama ka dun sa tapsihan ni vivian na malapit sa petron station sa harap ng NCBA-QC. malamang dun ka muna nag-almusal bago ka umuwi from an all-nighter hehehe!

5FootCarrot
03-29-2007, 09:05 AM
It's a fact that most, if not all, schools offer some assistance to their players. I believe that if a student is playing for a school that offers such assistance, he/she is entitled to receive it. He/she can opt to give it up, but the school should offer it across the board to their players (or, at least, to as many players as they can afford).

If a player isn't financially comfortable, he/she will naturally consider the assistance he/she receives from the school in deciding whether or not to continue to play for them. I think that in principle, students play for love of the game and love of their school, but in certain situations things like allowances are used for more than just the student's personal expenses. Filipinos, of all people, should understand about sending extra money to relatives and friends who need it. [/Econ egghead moment]

I'm sorry to hear that Adamson cut Ken Bono's allowance considering that he was sending whatever money he can spare home to his family. Good thing he's earning from his PBL stint so he can still help them out. Hopefully, money won't be as tight after the wedding, especially after he gets that pro contract :) Ingat lang sa pera para hindi magipit.

JonarSabilano
03-29-2007, 11:25 AM
Off-topic: Ang tapsihan ba ni vivian yung malapit sa dating aurora market? Sa bandang batino ba 'yon? Di ko na matandaan yung kalye pero may gasolinahan ata na malapit din?* ;D

Ah. Dabest ang bulalo ng Vivian's. Instant tanggal-tama. ;D

Ranger
03-29-2007, 05:27 PM
Ken Bono is free to do whatever he wants. It just leaves a bad taste because the impression I'm getting is that Ken only went to Adamson in exchange for the compensation he was receiving. I would think that since he has been playing in the PBL already for the past two years, and having a steady income, the school would be able to stop subsidizing his expenses. Unfortunately, it appears he was still expecting a raise because of his MVP award. :o

Hi Ranger...

Ken Bono was recruited by Luigi Trillo (in behalf of Adamson) so that he can support his mom, grandmother and adopted sisters in Iloilo. To this day he is the sole breadwinner of his family.

From your post I can see that you share the same mindset as the AdU administration, that Ken doesn't need his meager allowance from the school since he is already earning from the PBL. But I don't think that's reason enough to take away his monthly stipend from the school. Bakit sila magdedesisyon kung kailangan o hindi ng tao yung pera? At ano naman ineexpect nila, na maglaro ng libre sa kanila yung tao?! Wala naman atang gumagawa nun unless galing sa mayamang pamilya at hindi na talaga nangangailangan ng pera. And we all know that Ken does not come from that kind of background.

By the way, the maximum salary in the PBL is only 35 thousand pesos a month excluding taxes. Even if he was receiving this amount, it's not going to make Ken a rich man especially since things aren't exactly getting cheaper nowadays. Add to the fact that he's spending for his upcoming wedding in a few months. Every cent counts for this guy.

Human nature dictates that a student-athlete who brought honor to his school would expect a raise in his compensation, but honestly all Ken ever wanted was to continue receiving the same amount he was getting since his rookie year in Adamson. But the way things turned out kahit yun hindi magawa para sa kanya ng school nya.

Hi kaybee07...

If the reason of Ken to bypass his senior year is because he plans to get married and needs the income to support his future family, then its more understandable and practical. But to say its because Adu cut its support, then it sounds like there is blaming, and that the University is at fault.

I don't think its right to fault the officials of the school. In the first place this is a collegiate/amateur competition. Aside from Ken receiving a monthly stipend, I came to read in one of this threads, that his uncle was also given a job. I'm guessing the uncle's job was given in consideration to making Ken more secured to play for Adu.

In fairness, It's not practical anymore for the school to continue its stipend because Ken is earning more than enough. When he started he had nothing. He used Adu as a vehicle to get where he is. "Hindi naman pwedeng kabig lang ng kabig". Hindi naman libre ang paglalaro nya... he is supposed to be getting quality education for free in return. Unless it was really all basketball for him in Adu...

If its time to go, it's time to go... no pinpointing...

just my views...

kaybee07
04-04-2007, 03:07 PM
Once again the difference in our opinions are very apparent, Mr. Ranger. And I do not wish to fight with you, my only purpose is to defend Ken because he's not here to defend himself.

I don't think that if Ken expected his allowance to continue, that we can just say na "kabig ng kabig" na ang tao. After all he would have continued to render his services to the Falcons' team. It's not like he wanted to continue receiving his allowance and not give anything back to the school. Siguro pag ganun na ang nangyari pwede na natin syang sumbatan.

Do you mean to say ba na if a player, for any reason, becomes more stable financially during his tenure as athlete-scholar, then he does not deserve anymore to receive the allowance he was promised by his school? Yun siguro ang unfair.

We all know Arwind Santos returned to FEU to play one final year in the UAAP, but I don't think he would have come back if FEU cut his allowance. Ang alam ko nga he received a stipend not only from FEU but from Magnolia too because they were tied up with his school at that time. Ang malas lang ni Ken dahil pareho ang situation nila ni Arwind na MVP in his 4th year but in his case he stopped receiving an allowance from his school after that.

Anyway what's done is done. The school management has made its decision so Ken also made his. Good luck na lang siguro sa lahat.