PDA

View Full Version : UAAP vs NCAA

chocoks77
07-28-2006, 05:52 PM
I am watching the NCAA game between San Beda and Letran today(July 28, 2006). I can't help but be dismayed how these guys play. They play with a lot of indiviualistic effort. Parang sobrang walang play. I look at the coaches' reactions and they just let it be. Parang wala talaga compaerd with the UAAP teams where you see that they played a more organized game.

UAAP basketball employs plays and system. They go about their business systematically. They start their defense and offense with plays. They set-up.

Ano tingin niyo kasi as I see it maybe sa game lang na ito, college na larong kanto pa din ang NCAA.

jembengzon
07-28-2006, 06:09 PM
am watching the game as well, but have a different take. both coaches (coy banal and louie alas) apply an uptempo type of pace, which means they force the action. the personnel of both teams have athletic talent to play at an extremely fast and aggressive pace. louie alas has a terrific point guard in boyet bautista who controls pace extremely well, while coy has a lot of weapons on the red lions team this year.

the ncaa is geared more towards offensive action, while the UAAP is more defense oriented. coach coy's bias for defense is making an impact in San Beda this year.

congrats to san beda for winning the game :)

chocoks77
07-28-2006, 06:18 PM
Pero kasi kahit nakaset up na yung opensa, sobrang one on one pa din e. Parang there was no sense na i break up yung depensa.

time1513
07-28-2006, 06:35 PM
i think the NCAA can match up with the UAAP anytime, anywhere. baka sa game lng ngayon kasi feeling ko ang letran umaasa talaga kay boyet and Aaron. kaya nag mukhang one on one. pero look at mapua anyone can score in their team. depende talaga sa depensa. well, i also feel that the Uaap is more hyped than the NCAA. maybe in the past years lamang talaga ang UAAP sa talent against the NCAA pero ngayon i dont really know. who can match up against Espinas or a boyet bautista in the UAAP? i think it really depends on the coach din.

ESCALERA JR.
07-28-2006, 09:46 PM
Both the UAAP and NCAA, being collegiate leagues are employing a more aggressive, fast- pace kind of game which is much better appreciated if witnessed live rather than on TV.

However, magkaiba lang siguro sa audience/market as i see the Uaap more wholesome, family oriented where you can bring along family members to enjoy the weekend games.

You cannot say the same with NC as its market is purely for the fanatical hardcore and a bit more riotous audience. There are some who prefer this kind of games, count me as one of them kaya mas enjoy akong manuod ng NCAA.

Kanya-kanyang taste lang siguro.

freak
07-28-2006, 10:47 PM
hmmm... sino kaya pwede i match up kay Sam Ekwe from the UAAP?

si Big Boned Bono..? IMO hindi uubra si Ken kay Sam.. Agile big man si Ekwe at mas lean kaysa ke Bono..
hmm.. mukhang walang i mamatch pag dating ng friendship games..

Dave the Barbarian
07-28-2006, 11:01 PM
Gentlemen,

I thought this forum was to have NCAA teams vs, UAAP teams. Comparative type of playing pala. Pero, how would NCAA teams fare against UAAP teams??? the answer will hopefully unfold in the FILOIL FLYING V HOMEGROWN CUP this coming October 28, 2006.

We have 9 teams (yes team A mga ito - we have a signed letter of intent from the Athletic Directors)) as per todate. From the NCAA, San Beda, Letran and SSC-R are joining. St. Benilde and JRU are knocking at the door. From the UAAP, we have UE, UP, UST, FEU, Ateneo and yes gentlemen - La Salle is in.

We will have an Ateneo - La Salle play game after all in a full blown tournament. I am including the press release we had 2 and half weeks ago.

FILOIL – FLYING V Homegrown Cup College Edition – A Fund Raising Project

The TOTAL - FILOIL Flying V Homegrown Cup, introduced last March, was such a success that high school, alumni players and their coaches had asked for more.

“We shall prepare better next time.” “When is the next tournament?” Such were the parting words of several participants as the tournament concluded.

FILOIL-Flying V Sports (FFVS) heard these requests and this coming October, right
after the UAAP and NCAA wars, will come the FILOIL college edition of the Homegrown Cup.

Nine schools have confirmed their participation – six from the UAAP, led by arch-rivals De La Salle and Ateneo, and three from the NCAA – Letran, San Beda and San Sebastian.

With Far Eastern, University of the East and University of the Philippines providing worthy challenge, the best schools from the two premier leagues are destined to clash for supremacy in one tournament.

Like the maiden Homegrown Tournament, FILOIL – Flying V Sports will donate cash prizes to the winners, with the objective of supporting the schools athletic scholarship program.

Further, the organizers will donate 10 percent of ticket sales generated throughout the tournament to the Pondo ng Pinoy Community Foundation, Inc. headed by His Eminence Gaudencio B. Cardinal Rosales, the Archbishop of Manila.

Homegrown? What does one mean when mentioning the word? This is where the uniqueness of the tournament comes in. Each school will be required to have a minimum of three homegrown talents in their line-ups.

The players must have completed secondary education from the same university or college that they are currently lined up in. In short, they must have “stayed home.”

FFVS believes that the recruitment and development of players should start at the secondary or even better, the primary level so their talent could be utilized later by the college or university that trained them.

The long-term goal is have full-blown “homegrown” teams competing against each other. Homegrown players unable to make it to the school’s A Team, will have a tournament to look forward to, allowing them to further hone their skills.

Slowly but surely, this plateau will be reached. For the first year, FFVS has required at least three 3 homegrown talents. The following year in will increase to six then nine and 12 until a “real homegrown” team can be created.

Commissioner Virgil Villavicencio, league chairman David Dualan, project head Anthony Suntay, coordinator Dan Noguera and the rest of the organizers promise a slam bang-affair.

joelex
07-29-2006, 02:01 AM
I think the UAAP plays more half court ball and mas mautak mga player. Although sadly, they are also less physical. Mas bara-bara mga NCAA players pero hindi takot sa physicality. Pag sa larong labas, mga commercial league, mga UAAP players puro reklamo sa ref. Hindi sanay parang konting bunggo lang kala niya sinasaktan na siya. Eh ganun naman talaga ang basketball. Pero in fairness, sa NCAA parang sa tingin ko, masasabi ko lang Letran, San Beda at PCU lang ang may kayang lumaban sa UAAP teams. Yung iba, pwede na ibaba sa mga ibang liga, mga ncraa, ETC. Talagang mahina pa. :)

oca
07-29-2006, 04:34 PM
Pana-panahon lang.

At intermittent periods, the best players in this country would come from the UAAP, then NCAA, vice versa.

During this immediate past, because of its high profile, the UAAP has collectively attracted better players. But I believe that in less than 5 years, NCAA players will be hugging the limelight.

This opinion is based on a comparison of the current eligibility rules of both leagues. Masyadong restrictive ang UAAP. That 2-year residency alone for transferees at the UAAP will discourage a lot of players. To cite examples, 2 names come to mind - Dela Pena of MIT and San Beda aspirant Chris Camus. Both grew in North America, they just couldn't wait for 2 years before suiting up. So, they limited their choice of school at the NCAA.

Also, the UAAP prohibits the fielding of two "foreign students" at the same time. The NCAA has no restrictions on that. There's no denying that there is that new generation of Filipinos who were born or who grew up overseas who would want to play this game. The UAAP rules are just not hospitable.

Without citing more details, UAAP's restrictive eligibility rules will have a cummulative negative effect on the quality of the league's players.

Now duon sa punto ng style of play, nasa panlasa na yan ng nanonood.

But it is patently wrong to say one league is better over the other in terms of how we see their respective teams compete among themselves.

Para sa akin, pagtapatin mo ang mga iyan, saka ka magsalita pagkatapos.

Pero sa isang katulad ko, I think NCAA basketball is better overall. Because same importance is given to the Juniors competition. That is undisputable.

LION
07-29-2006, 07:29 PM
I am watching the NCAA game between San Beda and Letran today(July 28, 2006). I can't help but be dismayed how these guys play. They play with a lot of indiviualistic effort. Parang sobrang walang play. I look at the coaches' reactions and they just let it be. Parang wala talaga compaerd with the UAAP teams where you see that they played a more organized game.

UAAP basketball employs plays and system. They go about their business systematically. They start their defense and offense with plays. They set-up.

Ano tingin niyo kasi as I see it maybe sa game lang na ito, college na larong kanto pa din ang NCAA.

Well kanya kanyang opinion yan.

The way you said it, para kong nakikinita sina Koy Banal, Louie Alas, Angel Vanguardia and the other coaches telling their players - "go guys, we encourage you not to observe team play. mag swapang kayo ok lang sa amin."

Seriously, the San Beda-Letran game was admittedly ugly. The players had to resort to individualistic play because both teams played good team defense. The offensive patterns were disrupted. Naipipilitan ang mga players na mag create ng situations. Kung napanood mo lang yung game sa tv, hindi mo makikita kung gaano ka physical yung laro.

Pag pinapanood ko din ang laro ng UAAP teams, ganoon din naman ang nakikita ko. Lots of individualistic plays, hindi pa physical ang laro ng mga yan. Subukan ninyong kalabanin ang Letran, tingnan natin kung hindi maging bara bara ang laro ninyo.

atenean_blooded
07-29-2006, 10:41 PM
I still think that more promotion should be given to the Champions' League, which features the best teams from different leagues from all over the country. UAAP and NCAA teams ought to dominate this, though, owing to better programs.

lekiboy
07-29-2006, 11:03 PM
I still think that more promotion should be given to the Champions' League, which features the best teams from different leagues from all over the country. UAAP and NCAA teams ought to dominate this, though, owing to better programs.

Amen to that! Calling MVP.... I hope Ateneo wins the UAAP crown so that we can meet in a hyped Champions' League. hahahaha
We believe! Go San Beda FIGHT!

brian
07-29-2006, 11:08 PM

oo nga, the champion's league should be our equivalent to the us ncaa's march madness...however, dapat full line-up ang maglalaro unlike the past wherein players where missing...

time1513
07-30-2006, 05:26 PM

oo nga, the champion's league should be our equivalent to the us ncaa's march madness...however, dapat full line-up ang maglalaro unlike the past wherein players where missing...

i agree.. i think that if this champions league is really a champions league then all the star players of each team will have to play their hearts out! well.. lets just say that we see a preview of this in the PBL where all the best collegiate players are pero iba parin kng dala dala nila ang kanilang school name! this would be a battle of pride. the best of the best. but dont count out other small schools who can upset any teams in the uaap or the ncaa. :)

chocoks77
07-30-2006, 07:37 PM
I am trying to look at the leagues in terms of preparing them for professional play. After weighing in what I have seen from both leagues, is it fair to say that UAAP players tend to be more akin or could easily adapt to the system sa pro level since they play with system. NCAA players will be more adept if they get drafted by Phoenix Suns. Just a weird thought since all teams in the PBA, with the exception of Air21 siguro tend to play a more deliberate systematic type of ball.

Wang-Bu
07-31-2006, 08:32 PM
Pagdating sa amateur basketball tatlo lang naman ang talagang tinitignan ko: PBL, UAAP at NCAA. Bagama't nanonood din ako ng ibang liga gaya ng NCRAA at NAASCU at kahit ng WNCAA, siempre mas tutok ako sa unang nabanggit na mga liga.

Sa higit dalawampung taong panonood ko sa kanila ganito ang aking napuna: (Siempre hindi naman ito isang masasabing empirical study, mga napuna ko lang ober da years...)

1. Mula 1986 hanggang sa kasalukuyan, ang mga nagdala ng Pinoy basketball ay masasabing puro mga individual superstars, hindi naman kasi ganun kaayos ang sistema ng basketball nang mga nakaraang panahon. Kapag may matinding star player ang isang koponan matindi na din ang koponan. 'Yung Philips Sardines team ni Benjie Paras sa PABL, Mapua at Swift's ni Alvin Patrimonio, JRC ni Vegel Meneses, Letran ni Samboy Lim, Lasalle ni Jun Limpot, Adamson nina Kenneth Duremdes at Marlou Aquino, NU ni Danny Ildefonso, San Sebastian una ni Paul Alvarez at huli ni Rommel Adducul, Ateneo nina Jun Reyes at Danny Francisco at marami pang ibang koponan.

Ang mga ganitong klaseng koponan ay sumikat - nanalo pa nga ng kampeonato ang iba - hindi dahil may magaling silang sistema kundi dahil may matindi silang superstar. May mga buenas pa nga na maraming superstar sa isang team, gaya ni Limpot na nagkaroon ng mga gaya nina Jon Cardel at Joey Sta Maria, habang si Ildefonso naman ay may katotong Lourdy Tugade dati.

2. Nung tumagal unti-unting nagkaroon ng sistema ang halos lahat ng team, kaya nga kahit naman walang saksakan ng tinding superstar, nagcha-champion ang team, gaya nung mga UST team ni Chris Cantonjos (matapos ang panahon nina Dennis Espino at Rey Evangelista medyo mahirap kapitan ng turing na superstar sina Cantonjos) at ang FEU team ni Onak Magtulis (ganun din, makalipas ang panahon nina Flying A). Ni wala na nga sa PBA sina Cantonjos at Magtulis, at sa pagakakaalala ko hindi naman sila nagtagal nung nakapag-PBA sila.

Pero tila yata mas gumana ang sistema sa UAAP, kung saan nagkaroon ng mga sistematikong preparasyon, lalo na ang mga koponang gaya ng Lasalle (kuntodo may fulltime strength and conditioning coach, shooting coach, defensive coach at kung ano-ano pang coach nung kasagsagan ni Konsehal Pumaren) at ng Ateneo (na ngayo'y may integrated plyometrics program pa yata at mga "war room" kung saan kinakamada ang mga video ng mga laro nila at laro ng kalaban) Mas napadalas ang pagpapadala ng coaches sa mga international coaching clinics, nagkaroon ng "special skills exercises", "station specific drills" at kung ano-ano pang mga kaparaanan upang pagibayuhin ang laro ng isang koponan.

Dito medyo napag-iwanan ang NCAA. Nung isang friendship game kung saan dumayo ang Ateneo sa Beda, halata ang kakaibang tibay, bilis at kundisyon ng mga taga-Katipunan. Konting pitik lang ang kailangan nakatawid na halos sa kahabaan ng court ang mga gaya nina Japeth Aguilar, Jobe Nkemakolam, Macky Escalona at JC Intal, habang naiwan ang mga gaya nina Yousif Al Jammal, Bong Maggay, Pong Escobal at pati na si Sam Ekwe. Hindi na basketball ang usapan dito kundi ang conditioning. Ang mga totoong top level na atleta ngayon hindi lang dinadaan sa takbo-takbo ang pagpapakundisyon, may damay ng mga makabagong pamamaraan diyan.

[Itutuloy at may trabaho pa si Wang-bu...]

ESCALERA JR.
07-31-2006, 08:45 PM
Napakagandang salaysayin ito bagamat napakahaba, aming susubaybayan ang susunod na kabanata ng iyong istorya.

lekiboy
07-31-2006, 11:20 PM
Napakagandang salaysayin ito bagamat napakahaba, aming susubaybayan ang susunod na kabanata ng iyong istorya.

Ako'y sumasangayon kay escalera, jr na mahaba ang salaysayin ni Ginoong Wang bu...parang alamat ng UAAP. Ang ilang laro lamang ay di magpapakita na mas magaling ang UAAP sa larangan ng busluan laban sa NCAA. Baka inyong nakakalimutan na ang mga magagaling na manlalaro ninyo ay galing halos lahat sa NCAA. Ang manlalaro na nagpanalo sa Ateneo noon kontra sa SAn Beda ay si Ginoong Bughao na isa ding dating Bedista.

Ang larong inyong natunghyan ay isa lamang sa mga napakadaming paghahanda ng SAn Beda sa kanilang misyon na muling mapanalunan ang korona ng NCAA. Sa aking palagay, lahat ng mga kapatid kong Bedista ay sasangayon na ibang- iba na ang koponan na nakatunggali ninyo noon sa aming koponan ngayon.

Ating talakayin ang mga iyan kapag nagkaroon na ng Liga ng mga Kampeon, Ang usapin na kung sino ang mas magaling sa tagisan ng busluan ay makikita nating muli kapag tayo ay nagkaharap muli.

Sa muling talakayan, kapatid. GROWL!!!!

Wang-Bu
07-31-2006, 11:22 PM
3. Hindi maitatatiyang dahil sa naging tagumpay ng Lasalle sa nakaraang dalawang dekada sa UAAP, umangat din ang pangkalahatang antas ng kumpitensiya sa buong UAAP. Ang kanilang karibal na Ateneo ay pinagibayo din ang kanilang programa upang hindi nga naman parati na lang ilampaso ng Lasalle. Hindi siguro kalabisan kung sabihing ang may pinakamalaking budget ngayon pagdating sa pagibayo ng basketball team ay ang Ateneo at Lasalle. Sa sweldo na lang ng head coach at sa ginagastos sa pasilidad mahirap tapatan ang Ateneo at Lasalle.

Bagama't mapepera din naman ang ilang paaralan sa NCAA gaya ng San Beda at Letran, siguro naman hindi ganung kalaki ang gastusin nila katulad ng Lasalle at Ateneo para sa kanilang basketball teams. Gawa na din ng kanilang kayang gastusin mas maganda ang pasilidad, pagsasanay, at iba pang pangsuporta sa kani-kanilang koponan ang Lasalle at Ateneo. Humabol na din ang ibang koponan sa UAAP gaya ng UE at FEU.

(Itutuloy ulit...)

Wang-Bu
08-01-2006, 01:15 PM
[Patalastas: Ako po ay taga-Pamantasan ng Silangan, nagtapos ng bachiller sa sining nuong kalagitnaan ng dekada-90, Dekana ko nuon si Mrs Carmelita Flores at Department Chair ko ang nasirang Bernie Zarate. Ang aking mga tambayan nun ay Azcarraga Cafe, na ngayon ay McDo sa kanto ng Lepanto at Recto, at Topps N Burger, pati na din po ang Ley-Sam OTB sa Bilibid Viejo. Kasabay kong mga player sina Bobby Diloy, Ernie Quidilla, mag-utol na Dennis at Braulio Lim, Jojit Duremdes at Mar Morelos]

Nang makuha ni Kapitan Lucio ang UE nagsimula na namang pagibayuhin ang program ng Warriors. Ganun din ang nangyari sa FEU nung direktang tinaguyod ni Anton Montinola ang programa ng Tamaraws. Ang UST - lalo pa nung magka-dynasty sila sa pamumuno ng napaka-amo at napaka-sinantong Aric Del Rosario, ay lalo ding nagbuhos ng pansin at pondo sa kanilang programa. Nagkaroon ng kakaibang pagtaas ang antas ng mga programang basketball sa UAAP gawa ng mga pangyayari sa mga paaralang ito. Malaking salapi na ang nagpapatakbo sa mga programang pam-basketball ng mga nangungunang paaralan sa UAAP.

4. Samantala sa NCAA naman, nung mga ganitong panahon pa din, mas sumandal pa din ang mga koponan sa mga tinaguriang individual superstars, gaya nina Chris Calaguio, Kerby Raymundo at Willy Miller ng Letran; Brix Encarnacion, Bong Tanigue, Rommel Adducul at Rodney Santos sa Baste; Jacques Gotenbos at Kirwin McKoy sa Beda; Jojo Manalo sa JRC; Chester Tolomia at Gilbert Malabanan sa Perpetual; Sunday Salvacion, Jay Lapinid, Al Magpayo at Ron Capati sa Benilde. Napuna ko na saksakan ng galing ang mga player na ito, pati na din ang iba pang player, ngunit tila hindi yata nagbago ang laro ng kani-kanilang mga koponan. Gaya nung nabanggit ni Chocoks77, karamihan ay mga one-on-one at isolation ang mga nangyayari. Lumalabas tuloy na ang magaling na team ay iyong mas marami ang mga star. Ang napuna ko lang na talagang gumagamit ng play ay ang Beda at Letran, at iyon naman ay gawa ng mga relatively bata at makabago ang kanilang mga coaches, lalo na si Coach Louie Alas ng Letran.

Halata masyado ang angat ng galing ng mga star player sa NCAA kumpara sa bench nila. Ang mga gaya nina Billy Moody, John Prior at JP Pacheco ng Letran; Banjo Calpito ng Baste; Mario Co ng JRU at Benjo Mandig ng Perpetual ay talaga namang halatang supporting cast lang bagama't binibigyan sila ng playing time. Ang naisip ko tuloy: tila yata hindi pa ganun ka-integrated ang skills coaching sa pangkalahatang patakbo ng team sa NCAA. At tila yata nitong mga huling taon lang naisipan ng mga NCAA teams na gawin 'yan. Kung titignan mukhang hindi pa nga din masyadong integrated ang palakad kasi ang PCU nagkaroon lang ng isang matinding star, si Gabby Espinas nung 2004, biglang nag-champion, nag-Rookie MVP pa si Espinas. Nagkaroon lang ng Fritz Bauzon, Vladimir Joe at ilan pang matitindi ang Perpetual bigla nilang nakatapat ang PCU nung laban na iyon.

(MA-E-2-2-LOY...)

ESCALERA JR.
08-01-2006, 09:12 PM
kung inyong mamarapatin, di naman siguron gaanong kalakihan ang agwat ng dalawang liga, datapwat masasabi pa ngang halos mag-kapantay lamang kung ang paguusapan ay galing at galing lamang.

Kung iyong matatandaan noong nakalipas na taon, tinupok ng taga Ncaa ang mga manlalarong Uaap sa isang palarong ginanap para sa mga Bantay-Bata ng dambuhalang istasyong ABS-CBN.

Maaaring gawin sukatan ang ligang ito pagkat pinagsamasama ang mga magagaling na koponan ng bawat eskwelahan laban sa magabilang liga, at yun nga ang nanyari, nilampaso sa 3 kategorya ng NC ang Ua. Ito ay sa regular na laro kun saan tinalo nga ang tiga Unibesidad: sa palayuan ng tira ( 3-pt shoot-out ); at sa dakdakan ng bula.

Subaybayan naten ang muling pagtatagpo ng 2 ligang ito sa Oktubre.

easter
08-01-2006, 09:53 PM
kung inyong mamarapatin, di naman siguron gaanong kalakihan ang agwat ng dalawang liga, datapwat masasabi pa ngang halos mag-kapantay lamang kung ang paguusapan ay galing at galing lamang.

Kung iyong matatandaan noong nakalipas na taon, tinupok ng taga Ncaa ang mga manlalarong Uaap sa isang palarong ginanap para sa mga Bantay-Bata ng dambuhalang istasyong ABS-CBN.

Maaaring gawin sukatan ang ligang ito pagkat pinagsamasama ang mga magagaling na koponan ng bawat eskwelahan laban sa magabilang liga, at yun nga ang nanyari, nilampaso sa 3 kategorya ng NC ang Ua. Ito ay sa regular na laro kun saan tinalo nga ang tiga Unibesidad: sa palayuan ng tira ( 3-pt shoot-out ); at sa dakdakan ng bula.

Subaybayan naten ang muling pagtatagpo ng 2 ligang ito sa Oktubre.

Pasintabi lamang po at makikisali ng kaunti sa usapan. Tingin ko ito na nga ang ebidensiya sa sinasabi ni pareng Wang-Bu na mas matindi pa rin ang atensiyon ng NCAA sa pang indibidwal na kagalingan ng player kaya tinatalo ng NCAA ang UAAP sa Bantay Bata. Dahil sa mga larong ito, talagang mangingibabaw ang and indibidwal dahil walang sistema na makikita dahil sa kakulangan ng praktis at pagkakaalaman sa laro ng mga player at coaches.

Hindi rin ako sang-ayun sa mga Champion's League or FMC bilang sukatan dahil sa tingin ko ginagawa itong eksperimentuhan ng mga coaches at players. Halimbawa na lamang tingnan natin ang team na UST. Sa FMC at ibang summer leagues ay bihira sila mag-placing o di kaya'y marinig talaga. Pero pagdating sa tampok na liga ayun at kaya palang mamayagpag.

Kung gusto natin talaga makita kung sino sa NCAA or UAAP ang mas magaling dapat ay udyukan ang ABS-CBN na magdaos ng isang series o di kaya ay isang one-game trophy ng champion ng NCAA at UAAP sa taong iyun! Dito malaki ang nakataya kung sino ang titingnan na mas magaling. Tingin ko rin na ilalabas ang tunay na sistema at kagalingan ng players at coaches dito dahil walang gustong matalo sa labanan ng dalawang kampeon at sa harap ng milyun-milyong manonood sa telebisyon. Huli ko itong nasaksihan nang maglaban ang champion ng UAAP na Ateneo, sa panahon ni Jun Reyes at Alex Araneta, laban sa Letran. Sa larong ito panalo ang Ateneo pero napakatagal na nito at ayun sa salaysay ni Wang-Bu ay kabilang pa sa panahon ng makalumang basketball.

Sam Miguel
08-01-2006, 11:12 PM
I believe the high level of individual skill displayed in the NCAA is what led our thread starter to think that the NCAA is still built more around the individual brilliance of the player rather than the total team concept.

While the UAAP has its fair share of brilliant individual stars such as Marvin Cruz, JC Intal, Ken Bono, Edwin Asoro, Jojo Duncil, Bon Custodio and Jonas Villanueva, a cursory examination of their game video would show that these players get most of their numbers within the flow of their respective team concepts. They get good numbers because they happen to be the key players for each of their teams. Taking a closer examination though will reveal that they run a more controlled game in general. With the likes of Norman Black, Franz Pumaren, Joe Lipa and Manny Dandan calling the shots in the UAAP it is not difficult to imagine why there is such a preponderance of systematic ball in that league.

On the other hand we have the NCAA where the brilliance of individual stars is still the main weapon of any team. Take a look at JRU: take Floyd Dedicatoria and even Jason Nocom out of there and they would be in even worse shape than they are now. Mapua would be totally lost without Joferson Gonzalez and Kelvin Dela Pena. Benilde has practically ground to a halt the last couple of seasons, being only slightly competitive last season behind statistical MVP Jay Sagad and the do-all Paolo Orbeta. One could argue that NCAA teams in general really are more dependent on the individual brilliance of certain players more than an overall team system.

Although San Beda, I believe, would be the possible exception here, with the cerebral Koy Banal calling the shots from the Red Lion bench. Coach Banal of course has benefited from his UAAP championship experience, and has imparted a lot of his wisdom and experience to the Red Lions. Banal practically made mincemeat of his brother Joel when his Tamaraws dethroned the Blue Eagles in 2003. At that time Ateneo arguably had a more talented team with Rich Alvarez, Wesley Gonzales, LA Tenorio, Larry Fonacier and Paolo Bugia all still around. FEU then still had relative UAAP newcomers in Dennis Miranda, Arwind Santos, Jeff Chan and Mark Isip. Yet Koy found a system to neutralize Joel's advantage and Joel simply was not able to match up.

It's true: a lot of UAAP stars came from UAAP schools, recent notable examples being Renren Ritualo and LA Tenorio. I would submit however that they have elevated their games to a higher level thanks to their experience in the UAAP, especially since they came onto the most high profile and big money programs in the UAAP. One could also cite the case of Danny Ildefonso and Rommel Adducul. These two were teammates in the 1995 (?) RP Youth team that bowed to Wang Zhizhi and China. Adducul was the bigger collegiate star, leading San Sebastian to a dynasty in the middle to late 1990's. But eventually Ildefonso became a more successful star in the PBA becoming the main man on a star-studded San Miguel lineup, already a two-time MVP when Adducul was still toiling first in the MBA and then in the PBL before getting drafted by Ginebra.

And this year, watching both the UAAP and the NCAA, I still see more isolations and one-on-one action in the NCAA while I see more structure in the UAAP. Opening day in the NCAA was particularly painful to watch as PCU and Mapua practically frustrated every one to death on a bunch of broken plays, passing miscues and a slew of other errors.

Does this make the UAAP necessarily better than the NCAA? I don't think so. Personally I think the UAAP has become a bit too pretty-fied and TV-friendly. It is actually better to watch the down and dirty, macho style of play of the NCAA, where almost every possession is still more about proving your manhood than raising your stock for the pro draft.

danny
08-02-2006, 02:26 AM
UAAP laban sa NCAA?

Sa iba't ibang batayan at sukatan, may ibat' ibang sagot ang bubulaga sa ating harapan.

Ano ba muna ang mga objetibong batayan na pwedeng maging sukatan ng dalawang liga?

1. Dami ng manlalarong naging propesyonal mula sa kung anong taon.
2. Laki ng kita.
3. Dami ng manonood.
4. Dami ng advertisment.
5. Populasyon ng mga paaralan (huling merkado este "captured market"..hehehe)
6. Tagisan ng galing nga mga napiling manlalaro mula sa dalawang liga.
7. Laki ng perang ginugugul sa manlalaro.
7. ano pa ba?

Mga subhetibong batayan.

1. Bakbakan o larong soiree.
2. Dami ng pogi.
3. Tradisyong ipinangangalandakan.
4. Laro pang koponana o barabara bai .
5. Galing sa asaran at sa "cheers".
6. Pagandahan ng kababaihan.
7. Imaheng gustong palabasin.
8. Dami ng English ispokening.
9. Galing ng "cuch".
10. At kung ano ano pa.

Napakadami ng obhetibo at suhetibong batayan maaring i-porma upang maging katanggap tanggap o di-katanggap tanggap ang kanyang kanyang mga pusisyon.

NCAA o UAAP? Kanya kanyang taste lamang yan. Kung may magsabing mas pogi si Espinas kay Aljamal, problema na niya yan. Kung saan tayong lahat enjoy at masaya, yan ang importanteng isinggit sa isipan. ;D

Pero ok din naman ang nagaganap na balitaktakan.

LION
08-02-2006, 07:39 AM
Aheemmmm. may tagisan ba ng galing sa pananalita ng wikang sariling atin dito? Para bagang hindi ko nababasa ang mga kaibigan natin Atenista dine?

Ako ay tuluyang magagalak kung ating mababasa ang napakahalagang opinyon ng aking mga idolo dito sa gameface na katulad ni binibining Karot at ng mga namamayagpag na Agilang sina joescoundrel, a_blooded, at iba pa nilang mga kasama.

Sabi nga ni kasamang Mike Enriquez na taga La Salle......Pasok!!!!!! :)

easter
08-02-2006, 10:53 AM
Aheemmmm. may tagisan ba ng galing sa pananalita ng wikang sariling atin dito? Para bagang hindi ko nababasa ang mga kaibigan natin Atenista dine?

Hindi nga po gaya ng mga pinakapipitagang sina Karot, joescoundrel at iba pa, ngunit nandito po kami at nakikipagpalitan din nang aming kuro-kuro sa napakagandang usapin na ito.

5FootCarrot
08-02-2006, 12:23 PM
Aheemmmm.* may tagisan ba ng galing sa pananalita ng wikang sariling atin dito?* Para bagang hindi ko nababasa ang mga kaibigan natin Atenista dine?*

Ako ay tuluyang magagalak kung ating mababasa ang napakahalagang opinyon ng aking mga idolo dito sa gameface na katulad ni binibining Karot at ng mga namamayagpag na Agilang sina joescoundrel, a_blooded, at iba pa nilang mga kasama.

Sabi nga ni kasamang Mike Enriquez na taga La Salle......Pasok!!!!!!* *:)
Paumanhin, kaibigang Leon, nguni't abala ako ngayon sa pagtutupad ng aking panunungkulan sa aba naming pugad 8) Sisikapin kong makisali sa mainit na balitaktakan dito sa lalong madaling panahon.

ESCALERA JR.
08-02-2006, 03:59 PM
Harinawa ang pagbibigay ng samut-samo at kuro-kuro sa ating sariling wika ay maintindihan ng mga kabataang mahilig mag-ingles ngunit hirap din naman.

sana'y kapulutan ng magagandang istoryang sa larangan ng palakasan sa mga nagdaang panahon ng Uaap at Ncaa na talaga naman napakatagal ng panahon ang inilalagi, higit pa sa ating sinasambang NBA..

O pano na mga ka-kosa't mga repapips, ako'y nahihirapan na sa ganito. Si Wang-bu naman kasi, napakalalim ng tagalog napasabay tuloy ang lahat ;D

Joescoundrel
08-02-2006, 09:03 PM
I agree with Sam Miguel: the UAAP has become too TV-friendly, it is borderline sissy.

All things considered I'd rather watch the NCAA. Live of course. It's rather painful to watch on TV especially with the camera angles seemingly exaggerating the turnovers and errors.

joelex
08-05-2006, 09:25 AM
I agree with Sam Miguel: the UAAP has become too TV-friendly, it is borderline sissy.

All things considered I'd rather watch the NCAA. Live of course. It's rather painful to watch on TV especially with the camera angles seemingly exaggerating the turnovers and errors.

Especially Xavier and Ateneo high recruits playing in the UAAP. The talent may be there but as far as toughness goes, no comparison to less heralded players in the NCAA, or even in "lower" college leagues. Overhyped lang talaga.

chocoks77
08-05-2006, 09:28 AM

Especially Xavier and Ateneo high recruits playing in the UAAP. The talent may be there but as far as toughness goes, no comparison to less heralded players in the NCAA, or even in "lower" college leagues. Overhyped lang talaga.

How about Chris Tiu's sharpened elbows and Martin QUimson's toughness inside. Aren't these tough? NCAA becomes bara bara, too individualistic.

joelex
08-05-2006, 05:20 PM

How about Chris Tiu's sharpened elbows and Martin QUimson's toughness inside. Aren't these tough? NCAA becomes bara bara, too individualistic.

yeah maybe martin quimson is an exception. but chris tiu's sharpened elbows?? sharpened shooting siguro.

chocoks77
08-05-2006, 09:20 PM

yeah maybe martin quimson is an exception. but chris tiu's sharpened elbows?? sharpened shooting siguro.

Oh well! I think you have to visit past posts about Chris Tiu. Let me cite an example at Blue Eagle's Nest forum look for the Sideshows thread brother! ;)

Sam Miguel
08-07-2006, 11:11 PM
It's still more hardcore action in the NCAA. It may not have the structure of modern ball, and it may not be set as well as the UAAP game, but I still like seeing a lot of that ra-ra action in college ball. If I wanted structure I'd watch the Chinese and Taiwanese basketball leagues on Star Sports and get myself bored half to death. In this country the NCAA is still THE place to be as far as real macho college ball is concerned.

john_paul_manahan
09-21-2006, 05:51 AM
i know it is near... i managed to hear that there will be a NCAA all-star vs UAAp all-star game.

who will be on the NCAA team and on the UAAP?

easter
09-21-2006, 07:11 AM
Akala ko pa naman paglalabanin na ang champions ng NCAA vs UAAP. Ewan ko ba bat di nila gawin ito eh interesting san a magharap ang juniors and seniors champions. Kung ginawa nila ito noon pa eh di sana daming beses na naglaban ang Ateneo vs San Beda (Juniors) plus DLSU vs Letran (Seniors).

BigBlue
09-21-2006, 09:52 AM
sa CCL na lang sila mag-tuos. although sayang kasi walang Juniors dun...

chocoks77
10-04-2006, 12:11 PM
Champion ng NCAA e San Beda Red Lions, Champion ng UAAP ay UST Growling Tigers. 2006 Collegiate basketball was dominated by the Big Cats and Lion Tiger Katol...hehehehe...peace ;D :D

MonL
10-04-2006, 01:25 PM
As posted in B.com:

UAAP All-Star Team:

Jerby Cruz (UST)
Jojo Duncil (UST)
Allan Evangelista (UST)
J.C. Intal (ADMU)
Doug Kramer (ADMU)
Macky Escalona (ADMU)
Marcy Arellano (UE)
Mark Borboran (UE)
Ken Bono (ADU)
Patrick Cabahug (ADU)
Jonas Villanueva (FEU)
Jeffrei Chan (FEU)
Edwin Asoro (NU)
Marvin Cruz (UP)

NCAA All-Star Team:

Samuel Ekwe (SBC)
Yousif Aljamal (SBC)
Rogemar Menor (SBC)
John Paul Escobal (SBC)
Alex Angeles (SBC)
Riego Gamalinda (SBC)
Jason Castro (PCU)
Ian Garrido (PCU)
Hafer Mondragon (CSJL)
Jerby Del Rosario (MIT)
Khiel Misa (UPHDS)
Floyd Dedicatoria (JRU)
Bruce Jim Viray (SSC-R)
Martin Urra (CSB)

I'm not sure of Sam's status, as he played hurt in the NCAA Finals. I believe that he was advised to rest his knee for a month, with no surgery needed.

Howard the Duck
10-04-2006, 03:57 PM
Sayang wala si Idol espinas ;D

5FootCarrot
10-05-2006, 01:45 PM
Will there be side events too? Any info on who might be joining said events, if any?

full battle gear
10-06-2006, 08:27 AM
UAAP vs NCAA stars in Bantay Bata charity
www.mb.com.ph

WHO OWNS the loudest roar, the Tigers of Santo Tomas or the Lions of San Beda? Which is the better league, the UAAP or the NCAA?

These and more are the backdrops as the best and the brightest of the top two collegiate leagues in the land clash tomorrow in the Bantay Bata 163 All-Stars at the Philsports Arena (formerly ULTRA).

Kenneth Bono, this year’s MVP winner, will lead the UAAP pack that includes fellow Mythical First Team awardees Jervy Cruz of victorious UST, JC Intal of Ateneo de Manila, Marvin Cruz of University of the Philippines and Jeff Chan of Far Eastern University.

Samuel Ekwe, the Nigerian 6-foot-8 behemoth who was this year’s rookie-MVP for San Beda, on the other hand, will spearhead the NCAA side along with teammate Yousif Aljamal, Jason Castro of PCU, Floyd Dedicatoria of Jose Rizal and Khiel Misa of Perpetual Help.

Pido Jarencio of UST will coach the UAAP side while Koy Banal of San Beda the NCAA.

Preceding the main match is the battle of the best high school players from both leagues set at 1 p.m.

Meantime, Raymond Valenzona of back-to-back NCAA winner San Sebastian Staglets will mentor the other squad. Potit de Vera, who steered the FEU Baby Tams to the finals, will coach the UAAP in lieu of league champion Ateneo coach Jamike Jarin who is in the United States.

Other members of the UAAP are Doug Kramer, Macky Escalona of Ateneo, Patrick Cabahug of Adamson, Jonas Villanueva of FEU, Edwin Asoro of National University, Marcy Arellano and Mark Borboran of University of the East and Jojo Duncil and Allan Evangelista of UST.

Completing the NCAA roster are Martin Urra of St. Benilde, Hafer Mondragon of Letran, Jerby del Rosario of Mapua, Ian Garrido of PCU, Alex Angeles, Pong Escobal, Ogie Menor and Riego Gamalinda of San Beda and Jim Viray of San Sebastian.

Proceeds for the one-day event will go to children of Bantay Bata 163, a foundation put up by television giant ABS-CBN to help needy kids.

full battle gear
10-06-2006, 08:28 AM
Ekwe, Bono tiff looms in Bantay Bata cage tilt
www.abs-cbnnews.com

Who’s the better player, Ken Bono or Samuel Ekwe?

Who owns the loudest roar, the Tigers of Santo Tomas or the Lions of San Beda? Who’s the better league, the University Athletic Association of the Philippines or the National Collegiate Athletic Association?

These and more are the storylines as the best and the brightest of the top two collegiate leagues in the land clash Saturday in the Bantay Bata 163 All-Stars at the Philsports Arena.

Bono, the Most Valuable Player, will lead the UAAP pack that includes fellow Mythical Team awardees Jervy Cruz of victorious UST, JC Intal of Ateneo de Manila University, Marvin Cruz of University of the Philippines and Jeff Chan of Far Eastern University.

Ekwe, the 6-foot-8 Nigerian behemoth who was this year’s best rookie and MVP for triumphant San Beda, will spearhead the NCAA side alongside teammate Yousif Aljamal, Jason Castro of Philippine Christian University, Floyd Dedicatoria of Jose Rizal University and Khiel Misa of the University of Perpetual Help.

Pido Jarencio of Santo Tomas will coach the UAAP side while Koy Banal of San Beda handles the NCAA’s men.

Preceding the main match is the battle of the best high school players from both leagues set at 1 p.m.

Potit de Vera, who steered the FEU Baby Tams to the finals, will coach the UAAP in lieu of league champion Ateneo coach Jamike Jarin, who is in the United States.

Raymond Valenzona of back-to-back NCAA winner San Sebastian College High School will mentor the other squad.

The games are for a cause, as proceeds from the one-day event will go to children of Bantay Bata 163, a foundation put up by television giant ABS-CBN to help needy kids.

Other members of the UAAP squad are Doug Kramer and Macky Escalona of Ateneo, Patrick Cabahug of Adamson University, Jonas Villanueva of FEU, Edwin Asoro of National University, Marcy Arellano and Mark Borboran of the University of the East and Jojo Duncil and Allan Evangelista of UST.

Completing the NCAA roster are Martin Urra of the College of Saint Benilde, Hafer Mondragon of Letran College, Jerby del Rosario of Mapua Tech, Ian Garrido of PCU, Alex Angeles, Pong Escobal, Ogie Menor and Riego Gamalinda of San Beda and Jim Viray of San Sebastian.

Ateneo will comprise the bulk of the UAAP juniors All-Stars led by MVP Raymond Austria and Mythical First Team member Mike Gamboa, while rookie MVP Elvin Pascual of PCU and Finals MVP Ryan Buenafe of San Sebastian spearheads the NCAA.

The 2-3 ball, slam dunk competition and three-point shooting contests will spice up the one-day event.

Tickets at P150, P100 and P50 are available at all Ticketnet outlets in all SM Department Stores and the Araneta Coliseum box office, the Philsports Arena and ABS-CBN Sports (415-2272 local 2844).

full battle gear
10-06-2006, 08:31 AM
Best of UAAP, NC clash for a cause

The Philippine Star 10/06/2006

The season’s best and brightest — from Adamson’s Ken Bono to San Beda’s Sam Ekwe — will be featured tomorrow in the Bantay Bata 163 All-Stars that will gather the top stars in the UAAP and NCAA at the Philsports Arena.

Bono, the UAAP Most Valuable Player awardee, will lead the varsity pack that includes Mythical First team members Jervy Cruz of victorious UST, JC Intal of Ateneo de Manila, Marvin Cruz of State U and Jeff Chan of Far Eastern U.

On the other hand, Ekwe, the Nigerian 6’8" behemoth who was this year’s rookie MVP for triumphant San Beda will spearhead the NCAA side along with teammate Yousif Aljamal, Jason Castro of PCU, Floyd Dedicatoria of Jose Rizal and Khiel Misa of Perpetual Help.

Pido Jarencio of UST will coach the UAAP selection while Koy Banal of San Beda the NCAA in the match set at 4 p.m.

Preceding the main match is the battle of the best high school players from both leagues set at 2 p.m.

Potit de Vera, who steered the FEU Baby Tams to the finals, will coach the UAAP in lieu of league champion Ateneo coach Jamike Jarin who is in the United States.

Raymond Valenzona of back-to-back NCAA winner San Sebastian High will mentor the other squad. And it’s for a cause.

Proceeds for the one-day event will go to children of Bantay Bata 163, a foundation put up by television giant ABS-CBN to help needy kids.

Other members of the UAAP are Doug Kramer, Macky Escalona of Ateneo, Patrick Cabahug of Adamson, Jonas Villanueva of FEU, Edwin Asoro of National U, Marcy Arellano and Mark Borboran of University of the East and Jojo Duncil and Allan Evangelista of UST.

Completing the NCAA roster are Martin Urra of St. Benilde, Hafer Mondragon of Letran, Jerby del Rosario of Mapua, Ian Garrido of PCU, Alex Angeles, Pong Escobal, Ogie Menor and Riego Gamalinda of San Beda and Jim Viray of San Sebastian.

Ateneo will comprise the bulk of the UAAP led by MVP Raymond Austria and Mythical First Team member Mike Gamboa while rookie MVP Elvin Pascual of PCU and Finals MVP Ryan Buenafe of San Sebastian spearheads the NCAA.

BigBlue
10-06-2006, 09:05 AM
ang galing talaga ng sports reporting sa bayan natin. three different newspapers with the same article!

bigfreeze_bibby
10-06-2006, 09:23 AM
I'm excited to see the juniors match ups.

john_paul_manahan
10-06-2006, 12:23 PM
can someone post the rosters of the junior all-stars...

parang mcdonald's sa states ang dating niyan. then we could like say who would go where.... :)

oca
10-06-2006, 12:43 PM
^
^^
I hope you won't get disappointed with this Juniors AS. Dahil sa tantya ko, malaking tambakan ito.

The big kids of NC' will control the boards and limit the UAAP to one-shot. I cannot see anyone from the UAAP who can matchup with Marcelo/San Beda, Buenafe/SSC-R, Pascual/PCU and Ferdinand/LSGH. If the Bringas brothers/SSC-R are included, that's 6 big kids Coach Valenzona can field in 3's. These kids all stand above 6'3". They ALL can run and they can jump and have decent shots from within 10 feet of the basket.

Collectively, for so many years now, the Juniors of the NCAA have lorded it over their UAAP counterparts. Though the Ateneo Juniors team have consistently shown to be equal to the NCAA teams, still that's just one team. The NCAA Juniors is deep in talent across the board.

Just take last year, UAAP Jrs champion Zobel couldn't even beat NCAA third placer PCU. But we all saw in this Season 69 of the UAAP the rave reviews the Zobel boys of Lipa received as rookies. Of course, most of us will not argue just how good Atkins is. Pero sa NCAA tersero, hindi umubra ang Zobel.

Ganoon pa man, I like the idea of a Juniors All-Star. Kahit isang laro lang ay mabigyan ng importansya yung galing ng mga bata. Sino ba mga iyan ang ayaw matawag na "All-Star"!.

Ghostrider
10-07-2006, 11:23 AM
^
^^
I hope you won't get disappointed with this Juniors AS. Dahil sa tantya ko, malaking tambakan ito.

The big kids of NC' will control the boards and limit the UAAP to one-shot. I cannot see anyone from the UAAP who can matchup with Marcelo/San Beda, Buenafe/SSC-R, Pascual/PCU and Ferdinand/LSGH. If the Bringas brothers/SSC-R are included, that's 6 big kids Coach Valenzona can field in 3's. These kids all stand above 6'3". They ALL can run and they can jump and have decent shots from within 10 feet of the basket.

Collectively, for so many years now, the Juniors of the NCAA have lorded it over their UAAP counterparts. Though the Ateneo Juniors team have consistently shown to be equal to the NCAA teams, still that's just one team. The NCAA Juniors is deep in talent across the board.

Just take last year, UAAP Jrs champion Zobel couldn't even beat NCAA third placer PCU. But we all saw in this Season 69 of the UAAP the rave reviews the Zobel boys of Lipa received as rookies. Of course, most of us will not argue just how good Atkins is. Pero sa NCAA tersero, hindi umubra ang Zobel.

Ganoon pa man, I like the idea of a Juniors All-Star. Kahit isang laro lang ay mabigyan ng importansya yung galing ng mga bata. Sino ba mga iyan ang ayaw matawag na "All-Star"!.

Will the bantay bata, especially the juniors game, be televised?

chocoks77
10-07-2006, 11:36 AM
can someone post the rosters of the junior all-stars...

parang mcdonald's sa states ang dating niyan. then we could like say who would go where.... :)

NCAA UAAP
BUENAFE(SSC-R) AUSTRIA(ADMU)
NASAYAO GAMBOA
DEL RIO GONZAGA
BRINGAS KATIPUNAN
SOLEDAD BALMACEDA
PASCUAL(PCU) RIVERA(FEU)
LANSANG PAGUIA
MARCELO(SBC) LOPEZ
LANNETE KNUTTEL
LITUANIA(JRU) OLALIA(ADU)
KABIGTING BATAC, K(NU)
GUIAO(CSB) REYES, J(UST)
ORBE(UPHD) DURAN(UE)
WONG(CSJL) ESPIRITU(UP)

COACH:
RAYMOND VALENZONA POTIT DE VERA

gameface_one
10-07-2006, 11:56 AM
Doing it for the kids
THE GAME OF MY LIFE By Bill Velasco
The Philippine Star 10/07/2006

Finally, there will only be one UAAP selection and NCAA All-Star Squad facing each other in the Bantay Bata 163 All-Star Game at the PhilSports Arena today.

In the past, each league put together two teams in a crossover clash that left bragging rights well, undecided. This time around, each league will also have a juniors game to use to prove who is the best, for this year, at least.

Each of the seven schools in the UAAP and each of the eight member institutions of the NCAA will be represented. The NCAA wil have Rookie of the Year and Most Valuable Player Sam Ekwe of champion San Beda College starting at center, along with teammate Yousif Aljamal and Floyd Dedicatoria of Jose Rizal University at the forward spots, and guards Jayson Castro of Philippine Christian University and Khiel Misa of University of Perpetual Help. All are members of the Mythical Team except for Aljamal, who was sixth in the MVP race. There will be six Red Lions in the roster. If San Beda coach Koy Banal will be attending to his duties as assistant coach in the Purefoods Chunkee Giants’ game in Dumaguete today, he will most likely be replaced by coach Joel Dualan of the runner-up PCU Dolphins. In the juniors game, Ateneo coach Jamike Jarin is in the US, so filling his shoes will be coach Potit De Vera of the runner-up FEU Baby Tamaraws. NCAA champion juniors coach Raymond Valenzona of San Sebastian College will call the shots fro his side.

Of course, the NCAA will no longer be able to avail of the services of Mythical Team center Gabby Espinas of PCU, as he is already suiting up for the San Miguel Beermen, or Letran Knights Boyet Bautista and Aaron Aban, who have each seen brief action for the Alaska Aces and Purefoods Chunkee Giants, respectively. Bautista has been one of the reasons why the NCAA players have gotten the upper hand over their more popular UAAP counterparts the past couple of years.

The UAAP, meanwhile, will likely field a starting lineup of Most Valuable Player Ken Bono of Adamson University at center, JC Intal of the Ateneo de Manila and Jervy Cruz of champion University of Santo Tomas at the forward spots, and guards Marvin Cruz of University of the Philippines and Jeff Chan of Far Eastern University. Then again, coach Pido Jarencio may opt to keep Cruz on the bench and field Final MVP Jojo Duncil instead. He will have three Growling Tigers, three Blue Eagles and two Tamaraws at his disposal.

The NCAA selection will have a slight height advantage at center, with the 6’8" Ekwe, 6’5" Jerby del Rosario of Mapua and 6’3" Hafer Mondragon manning the slot against the 6’4" Bono, 6’4" Doug Kramer of Ateneo and 6’4" Jervy Cruz as their counterparts. Outside shooting will be a very interesting duel with Ateneo’s Macky Escalona and Adamson’s Patrick Cabahug going up against Misa and San Beda’s Pong Escobal. The forward slot will showcase different looks for each team, with high flyers like JC Intal of Ateneo and Edwin Asoro of NU being challenged at both ends of the floor by Dedicatoria and the San Beda trio of Ogie Menor, Riego Gamalinda and Aljamal. The question for the UAAP is who will guard the jet-quick Jayson Castro?

The slam dunk contest will also be a very exciting affair. 2005 champion Rey Guevarra of Letran will get a chance to take the measure of 2004 champion Intal of Ateneo. Expect UST’s finals revelation Dylan Ababou to try to crash the top two. There will also be a 2-3Ball contest, featuring one seniors player partnered with one juniors player from as many of the schools as possible.

The three-point shootout will also be a thriller, as the UAAP entries have posted phenomenal number this season. UP’s Marvin Curz lit it up with 46 percent from beyond the arc. He will be joined by Manrel Baraquel of FEU, Chris Tiu of Ateneo and Jessey Garcia of National University. Their opponents will be Khiel Misa and Fritz Bauzon of Perpetual Help, Alex Angeles of San Beda and Mark Cagoco of JRU.

Proceeds of the event will go to Bantay Bata 163, which rescues and helps underprivileged and abused children. In the past, participating players have visited the village in Bulacan specially built for these poor kids.

gameface_one
10-07-2006, 11:56 AM
UAAP tests NCAA today

Inquirer
Last updated 02:05am (Mla time) 10/07/2006

Published on page A24 of the October 7, 2006 issue of the Philippine Daily Inquirer

GAMES TODAY (Philsports)
1 p.m.—UAAP vs NCAA (Jrs.)
3 p.m.—Side events
4 p.m.—UAAP vs NCAA (Srs.)

IT will be the best versus the brightest when two coaches from two champion teams from two different leagues test each other’s mettle as the UAAP and NCAA collide today in the Bantay Bata 163 All-Stars at the Philsports Arena.

Pido Jarencio of UAAP champion Santo Tomas seeks to complete an impressive stint as rookie coach when he tries to avenge the varsity league’s humiliating loss in all fronts during last year’s edition staged to help abused children of Bantay Bata 163.

Koy Banal of victorious San Beda, for his part, will bid to extend NCAA domination of UAAP by following its sweep of two all-star games and the 2-3 ball, three-point shooting and slam dunk side events.

“Coach Pido may still be on cloud nine but he knows Coach Koy well enough, he can’t take it easy,” says sportscaster Butch Maniego.

Peter Musngi, ABS-CBN’s vice president for sports said the games are being taken as personal challenges.”

freak
10-07-2006, 08:20 PM
I was able to watch almost the entire game and was glad to see the UAAP All-Stars taking control of the game. IIRC, NCAA All-Stars have always been the winner in the past few games against their UAAP counterparts. Coach Pido pulled the right strings at the right time.

IMO, the best strategy he employed was when the NCAA stars started to close the gap in the 3rd quarter and he put in his "firemen" (Cabahug, Arellano, Villanueva), who doused cold threes over the rally. Best play was the Escalona touchdown pass to Duncil, and to think they were closely guarding each other just a few days ago. ;) I also liked when he played the star players from the finals in the fourth. ;)

Raging Blue
10-07-2006, 11:47 PM
Best play was the Escalona touchdown pass to Duncil, and to think they were closely guarding each other just a few days ago. ;) I also liked when he played the star players from the finals in the fourth. ;)

Paradoxically, the Ateneo and UST UAAP All-Stars played well together because they played against each other in the just-concluded finals. It made them familiar with each others' moves and tendencies.

Iin a sense, the UAAP finals was a scrimmage for the All-Star game.

I'm glad that the Ateneo and UST protagonists got along fine with each other after that emotional and gruelling finals They were having fun just playing.

full battle gear
10-08-2006, 09:48 AM
UAAP proves steadier in All-Star tussle

By Jasmine W. Payo
Inquirer
Last updated 05:14am (Mla time) 10/08/2006

Published on page A27 of the October 8, 2006 issue of the Philippine Daily Inquirer

IT looked like the Santo Tomas Tigers’ magic had rubbed off on the rest of the UAAP superstars.

The UAAP squad overcame repeated rallies by the formidable NCAA crew and held on for an 83-78 triumph in the Bantay Bata 163 UAAP-NCAA All Stars yesterday at the Philsports Arena.

UST’s Jojo Duncil, who finished with 13 points, provided the firepower in the closing minutes to earn his second Most Valuable Player plum after bagging the UAAP Finals MVP last Monday.

With Tigers coach Pido Jarencio calling the shots, the UAAP side also drew a strong performance from season MVP Ken Bono, who buried two free throws that cushioned the lead, 82-78, in the last 16.1 seconds. The beefy Adamson center wound up with a team high 15 markers.

The NCAA, though, proved steadier in junior action and won, 72-64. San Beda slotman David Marcelo shot a team-high 12 points to clinch the MVP trophy.

In the side events, Elmer Espiritu of the University of the East Warriors shone with a 360-degree double-clutch jam to rule the slamdunk competition.

Espiritu, the league’s shotblock leader at 2.1 swats per game, earned 48 points from the five-man judging panel led by commissioners Elmer Yanga of the UAAP and Jun Bernardino of the NCAA.

Ateneo’s JC Intal, the event’s 2004 champion, finished just a point shy at 47 points and settled for a runner-up citation.

Wearing Ateneo coach Norman Black’s San Miguel jersey, Intal executed a two-handed double pump dunk in the final round.

Third-placer Rafael Bartolo of Jose Rizal University scored 44 points after sailing over two men for a one-hand jam.

Chris Tiu, Ateneo’s clutch-shooting guard, ruled the three-point shootout after edging San Beda’s Alex Angeles in the tie-breaker.

Tiu tallied nine points, while Angeles scored five in the final round after both finished tied at 15 points.

San Sebastian topped the 2-3 ball contest with the Stags’ Jim Viray and the Staglets’ Anthony del Rosario collecting 65 points.

University of the Philippines placed second after the senior-junior tandem of Migs de Asis and Tata Marata combined for 56 points.

Duncil, who led the Tigers to the UAAP title recently at the expense of the Ateneo Blue Eagles, spearheaded UAAP’s recovery in the fourth period by pouring in six straight points for a 78-67 lead.

Rookie MVP Sam Ekwe of San Beda and Philippine Christian University’s Jason Castro orchestrated an NCAA comeback in the last three minutes, but could only pull their team within 80-78.

NCAA failed to wrest the lead as Castro and San Beda’s Pong Escobal missed successive three-point attempts.

The scores:

First Game (Jrs)

NCAA 72—Marcelo 12, Buenafe 11, Lituania 11, Pascual 10, Kabigting 9, Lanete 6, Wong 4, Guiao 4, Nasayao 3, Lansang 2, Del Rio 0, Soledad 0, Bringas 0.

UAAP 64—Rivera 14, Katipunan 8, Olalia 8, Austria 6, Lopez 5, Gonzaga 5, Balmaceda 4, Espiritu 4, Batac 3, Duran 2, Paguia 2, Reyes 2, Gamboa 1, Knuttel 0.

Quarters: 18-15, 28-30,42-41, 72-64

Second Game (Srs)

UAAP 83—Bono 15, Duncil 13, Cabahug 12, Arellano 9, Chan 8, M. Cruz 7, Evangelista 6, J. Cruz 4, Intal 3, Kramer 3, Borboran 2, Villanueva 1, Asoro 0, Escalona 0.

NCAA 78—Castro 15, Ekwe 12, Misa 10, Aljamal 10, Del Rosario 9, Escobal 7, Viray 5, Garrido 3, Dedicatoria 2, Menor 2, Gamalinda 2, Urra 1, Angeles 0, Mondragon 0.

Quarters: 24-16, 45-33, 69-58, 83-78

full battle gear
10-08-2006, 09:53 AM
UAAP five exacts revenge on NCAA
By Joey Villar
The Philippine Star 10/08/2006

Sweet revenge.

The UAAP survived a late fight-back by the NCAA to carve out a 83-78 win yesterday, erasing the stigma of its humiliating defeat last year in the Bantay Bata 163 All-Star Game at the Philsports Arena.

Jojo Duncil scored six of his 13 points in the fourth quarter, helping the UAAP exact revenge versus the NCAA, which swept all events last year.

With his sterling job, Duncil won the MVP trophy, his second individual award after winning the Finals MVP honors in the recent UAAP season.

NCAA rookie-MVP winner Samuel Ekwe, a Nigerian behemoth with an intimidating game, shone brightest among the NCAA stars, scoring 12 points, including a power slam.

In the end, the biggest winners, though, were needy children who are beneficiaries of the charity game.

"The most important thing is that we’re not just doing this for pride but for charity," said winning coach Pido Jarencio of UST.

Earlier, the NCAA unleashed a telling fourth quarter run as it nipped the UAAP, 72-64, in the juniors’ side of the Bantay Bata 163 All-Stars.

David Marcelo, a standout from traditional high school power San Beda, was the NCAA’s main source of strength. He won the MVP award.

In between the two games, Elmer Espiritu of University of the East pulled off a stunner as he bested heavily favored JC Intal of Ateneo in the slam dunk competition.

Finishing second behind JC Intal in the elimination, Espiritu did a 360-degree, double-clutch jam to beat the Ateneo star in the finale.

Intal, the 2004 champion, earned a perfect 50 on a rim-rattling windmill jam in the qualifiers but missed what could have been the winning dunk – a between-the-legs one-handed tomahawk slam.

Intal’s teammate Kris Tiu won the three-point shootout with nine points. San Beda’s Alex Angeles had only five for second place.

The San Sebastian pair of Jim Viray and Anthony del Rio tallied 65 points to rule the 2-3 ball event.

full battle gear
10-08-2006, 09:57 AM
UAAP gets back at NCAA cagers
www.mb.com.ph

THE UAAP avenged the humiliation of last year’s sweep as it downed the NCAA, 83-78, to cap the Bantay Bata 163 All-Stars before a sizable weekend crowd at the PhilSports Arena last night.

Ken Bono led all scorers with 15 points but it was Jojo Duncil, the Finals MVP for triumphant Santo Tomas, who scored the shots that mattered in the fourth quarter.

Duncil fired six of his 13 points in the stretch that to give UAAP enough cushion that thwarted a late fight back by the NCAA.

NCAA rookie MVP Samuel Ekwe, a Nigerian who packs his slams and blocks with power, was the biggest performer from the losing side with 12 points he highlighted with a high-powered slam and swatted shots like flies.

In the end, the biggest winners were the needy children of Bantay Bata 163.

"The most important thing is that we’re not just doing this for pride but for charity," said UST Coach Pido Jarencio.

In the side event, Elmer Espiritu of University of the East pulled off a major shocker as he bested heavily favored JC Intal of Ateneo in the slam dunk competition.

Coming in second behind JC Intal in the elimination, Espiritu did a 360degree, double-clutch jam to score a 48, enough to beat the former.

Intal, the 2004 champion, had a perfect 50 after a rim-rattling windmill jam in the qualifiers but missed what could have been the winning dunk — a between-the-legs, one-handed tomahawk slam.

Earlier, the NCAA unleashed a telling fourth quarter run as it nipped the UAAP, 72-64, in the juniors’ side of the Bantay Bata 163 All-Stars.

David Marcelo, a standout from traditional high school powerhouse San Beda, was the NCAA’s source of strength, bullying his way to 12 points to clinch the MVP plum ahead of 2004 rookie MVP Elvin Pascual of PCU and Finals MVP Ryan Buenafe.

Pascual, who is expected to bring his wares for the Dolphins next year, finished with just 10 points while Buenafe added 11 including seven in a pivotal fourth quarter run.

Jose Rizal’s Carlo Lituania, however, stole some of the limelight by spewing nine of his 11 points in the final canto when the NCAA stars unleashed the run that took the fight of the UAAP dribblers.

Proceeds of this one-day event will go to needy kids of Bantay Bata 163.

full battle gear
10-08-2006, 10:02 AM
UAAP’s best trump NCAA stars

By FRANK CALAPRE, The Manila Times Correspondent
www.abs-cbnnews.com

The best of the University Athletic Association of the Philippines displayed savvy and better shooting from the three-point arc as they humbled their National Collegiate Athletic Association counterparts, 83-78, Saturday in the Bantay Bata 163 All-Stars event at the Philsports Arena in Pasig City.

UAAP Most Valuable Player Kenneth Bono of Adamson University led the way for the younger league, which avenged its losses in all areas of the All-Star bash held for the benefit of ABS-CBN’s Bantay Bata 163 foundation.

Bono combined with Jojo Duncil and Jervy Cruz of University of Santo Tomas and Ateneo de Manila University’s Doug Kramer and JC Intal for 14 big points in the final quarter to finally overpower the NCAA side.

"It’s lot of fun. The boys enjoyed it so much and it was not really hard to look for a better combination if you have the best in the league this season," said UAAP coach Pido Jarencio, who extended his winning ways after leading the UST Tigers to the title last week.

Sam Ekwe of San Beda College, the 6-foot-8 Nigerian center and the NCAA’s reigning rookie-MVP, proved to be the best defensive player as he blocked 9 shots—Intal and Kramer twice—to the delight of the fans who trooped to Big Dome to see their favorite collegiate stars.

But Duncil overshadowed Ekwe by getting the nod as the MVP of the match marking the end of the collegiate basketball season. He was also named the UAAP Finals MVP after the Growling Tigers’ victory over the Blue Eagles.

"I’m really thankful for the UAAP and the NCAA for this MVP All-Star awards. This will really make me work harder to become a better player," said Duncil.

In the high school division, the NCAA juniors made it two in a row over the UAAP’s best with a pulsating 70-64 win.

David Marcelo of San Beda, who finished with 12 points and 13 rebounds, was chosen the game’s MVP, ahead of 2004 NCAA juniors rookie MVP Elvin Pascual of Philippine Christian University and Finals MVP Ryan Buenafe.

In the three-point shooting contest, Chris Tiu of Ateneo scored 9 points in the tiebreak to beat San Beda’s Alex Angeles for the honor, while San Sebastian College-Recoletos’ Jim Viray and Anthony del Rio scored 60 points to pocket the 2-3 ball competition.

Elmer Espiritu of University of the East completed the UAAP’s domination by shocking Intal in the slam dunk competition.

Coming in second behind Intal in the eliminations, Espiritu did a 360-degree, double-clutch jam to score a 48, enough to beat the Ateneo bet.

Intal, the 2004 champion, had a perfect 50 after a rim-rattling windmill jam in the qualifiers, but missed what could have been the winning dunk—a between-the-legs one-handed tomahawk slam.

Intal, wearing the old No. 24 San Miguel jersey of his Ateno coach Norman Black, had time to roll in a two-handed double-pump dunk, but drew just 47 points from the judges to lose by just a point.

MonL
10-09-2006, 07:40 AM
When playing for a worthy cause, there are no winners or losers. Revenge is an irrelevant hype. I enjoyed Sam's shotblocking and Jason Castro's brilliance, but I also enjoyed watching the UAAP's shooting stars like Cabahug, Jeff Chan and even Bono successfully launching from downtown. It was a most enjoyable afternoon, no matter who won in the end.

Bragging rights are at stake in the CCL, and the hype over it is more fitting there.

lekiboy
10-09-2006, 09:57 AM
When playing for a worthy cause, there are no winners or losers. Revenge is an irrelevant hype. I enjoyed Sam's shotblocking and Jason Castro's brilliance, but I also enjoyed watching the UAAP's shooting stars like Cabahug, Jeff Chan and even Bono successfully launching from downtown. It was a most enjoyable afternoon, no matter who won in the end.

Bragging rights are at stake in the CCL, and the hype over it is more fitting there.

just to add on to MonL's enjoyment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQfoxHyWbvI

thanks to projector king...

Wang-Bu
10-09-2006, 04:07 PM
Malayo pa talaga sa katotohanan ang pagiging basketball superstar ni JC Intal...

easter
10-09-2006, 04:48 PM
Malayo pa talaga sa katotohanan ang pagiging basketball superstar ni JC Intal...

Lahat ba ng nasupalpal ni Ekwe eh hinde na pwede maging superstar? So boung NCAA, pwera ang SBC, ay walang superstar sa team nila? Eh lahat yan nakatikim kay Ekwe boung taon ah. Natural lang yan matangkad si Ekwe at napakganda pa sa tiyempo.

Ok nga si Intal eh walang kiyeme, kahit masupalpal ng ilang ulit banat pa rin. Masupalpal minsan salaksak pa din walang paki. Tingin ko mas ok yung ganyang player kesa sa takot masupalpal.

mighty_lion
10-09-2006, 07:43 PM

Lahat ba ng nasupalpal ni Ekwe eh hinde na pwede maging superstar? So boung NCAA, pwera ang SBC, ay walang superstar sa team nila? Eh lahat yan nakatikim kay Ekwe boung taon ah. Natural lang yan matangkad si Ekwe at napakganda pa sa tiyempo.

Ok nga si Intal eh walang kiyeme, kahit masupalpal ng ilang ulit banat pa rin. Masupalpal minsan salaksak pa din walang paki. Tingin ko mas ok yung ganyang player kesa sa takot masupalpal.

True, in this game there is no real winner but the kids of bantay-bata. Those were just highlights reel. Much as i enjoy Sam blocking Intal, but that doesnt make him a total losser. 3 blocked shots in that game will not outscore his 17 pts average per game in UAAP. Not to mention his mid average rebounds and assists, plus intangible contributions of course. I see Intal as top 3 favorite for next years' pba draft, he has to improve his outside shooting though. He still have PBL to prove himself further.

Kinabagan ako sa katatawa hindi ldahil dun sa pag-kablock ni Sam kay Intal but on how Pido Jarencio laughed at the scenario. No meaning done, pero parang nag-enjoy masyado si Pido dun more than anyone else in the court. ;D Even Shaq is vulnerable to block shots, no one is to good to be that invincible. Kahit si Ekwe napalpal na rin yan sometime nung 2nd round ata, nakalimutan ko lang kung sino, he was just smiling thereafter. ;D

Joescoundrel
10-09-2006, 08:30 PM
Totally agree with the sentiments regarding the kids being the true winners. As for the star of John Christopher, well, we´ll see...

toti_mendiola
10-10-2006, 05:20 PM

Kahit si Ekwe napalpal na rin yan sometime nung 2nd round ata, nakalimutan ko lang kung sino, he was just smiling thereafter.* ;D

Layug of CSB Blazers during the 2nd round overtime game.

Howard the Duck
10-11-2006, 12:31 AM
Kelvin dela Pena also blocked Ekwe from behind :D

danny
10-11-2006, 01:37 AM
Kelvin dela Pena also blocked Ekwe from behind :D

Hindi lang siya ang sumupalpal* kay Sam. Espinach! Eto pa ang matinding bata. Iang tapal ba inabot ni Sam fom this* PCU Superstar. (At ilang tapal din naibigay ni Sam sa kanya?). Still Sam remained the toast of the press..kahit masupalpalan at magkalat sa free throws.* Love is blind ika nga.;D

easter
10-11-2006, 06:49 AM
We'll dami kasing nagagawa ni Ekwe na positives and yung mga mali niya na na-bloblock sa likod (siyempre di niya kita eh) and missed freethrows is something na ordinary miscues sa isang center.

christian
10-31-2006, 01:31 PM
I don't know where to put this, but, is Horacio Lim sacked? I read from beth celis' column that they're already looking for a new coach and some of the notable who turned down the offer was captain lionheart Alvin patrimonio. Any more new on this ?

brian
10-31-2006, 05:12 PM
I don't know where to put this, but, is Horacio Lim sacked? I read from beth celis' column that they're already looking for a new coach and some of the notable who turned down the offer was captain lionheart Alvin patrimonio. Any more new on this ?

wasn't really sacked...nag-expire na ata contract and won't be renewed.

Sam Miguel
10-31-2006, 08:10 PM

Coach Horacio "Ari" Lim did not get a new contract with the Mapua Cardinals. There was talk that Mapua's performance in the CCL was actually the make or break thing for him, not necessarily NCAA Season 82. After his team beat the CCL's topseed Ateneo De Manila - and thus advanced to the Final 4 - it was widely believed that his contract would be renewed. Apparently that was not the case. As for Alvin Patrimonio, I do not think he is looking for a fulltime college coaching career right now, especially with his management responsibilities with Purefoods in the PBA. College coaching is not something that can be done seasonally now, as evidenced by fulltime college coaches like Norman Black at Ateneo and Leo Austria, late of Adamson and now with Welcoat in the PBA.

oca
11-02-2006, 05:17 PM

Coach Horacio "Ari" Lim did not get a new contract with the Mapua Cardinals. There was talk that Mapua's performance in the CCL was actually the make or break thing for him, not necessarily NCAA Season 82. After his team beat the CCL's topseed Ateneo De Manila - and thus advanced to the Final 4 - it was widely believed that his contract would be renewed. Apparently that was not the case. As for Alvin Patrimonio, I do not think he is looking for a fulltime college coaching career right now, especially with his management responsibilities with Purefoods in the PBA. College coaching is not something that can be done seasonally now, as evidenced by fulltime college coaches like Norman Black at Ateneo and Leo Austria, late of Adamson and now with Welcoat in the PBA.

Kung gayon, 'di pala ako dapat magtaka kung biglang maging coach ng Cardinals si Atoy Co.

Ilang beses nuong first round ng elims ng season82, nakita ka siyang nanonood. Samantalang, sa tagal ng panonood ko sa NC', 'di ko yan nakikita nuon!

Mapua is now owned by the Yuchengco's. Atoy is still very much chinese and he should be favored over other candidates or prospects.

Wang-Bu
11-02-2006, 09:44 PM
Ayos 'yan. Si Pido tumakbo dating konsehal sa third district ng Maynila, ngayon coach na sa UAAP. So ito palang si Fortune Cookie na konsehal naman ng Pasig maaaring magin coach naman sa NCAA. Sadyang pinagsasanib ang politika at basketball.

Mateen Cleaves
11-05-2006, 06:19 PM
E kung ang susunod na coach ng Mapua ang pag-uusapan, puede bang hindi maisama sa usapan ang mga pangalan ng mga alumni tulad nila Bong Ramos, Junel Baculi, at Joel Banal? Hindi ba bakante ngayon itong mga 'to?

oca
11-06-2006, 09:05 AM
E kung ang susunod na coach ng Mapua ang pag-uusapan, puede bang hindi maisama sa usapan ang mga pangalan ng mga alumni tulad nila Bong Ramos, Junel Baculi, at Joel Banal? Hindi ba bakante ngayon itong mga 'to?

Dahil Yunchengco na ang may-ari ng Mapua, I'll give the inside track to Atoy Co.

All things being equal, we all know that a chinese will always favor a chinese from a non-chinese.

I saw the Fortune Cookie watch a few Mapua games this season 82. Sa tagal ko nang nanonood ng NC', 'di ko yan nakikita. Aba, biglang nagka-interest!

O, baka naimbitahan?

LION
11-06-2006, 09:25 AM
^^^^ If indeed it will be the Fortune Cookie who will be the next coach of Mapua, I think that he will mold the sytem of the Cardinals in accordance with his playing philosophy - a good offense is the best defense. Can he duplicate Pido Jarencio's achievement? They are both proven scorers during their time. Halos parehong walang coaching experience and dalawa.

Can Atoy provide the motivation to his players? Eto ang hindi ako sigurado. Si Pido very intense as a coach. Kitang kita mo yan sa tv. And he has this talent to really motivate his players. Pinoy style of coaching ang kay Pido. Very effective for UST.

john_paul_manahan
11-06-2006, 11:16 AM
if he builds an excellent core of assistants, maybe...

with the team i saw in the CCL against Ateneo, i can imagine an offensive spark...

(interesting parallel with pido)

christian
11-06-2006, 05:12 PM
Hmmm...

joelex
03-04-2008, 03:01 PM
the more i see it the more im inclined to say that the NCAA is far more physical than the uaap. in fact the naascu, cusa and ncraa are much more physical than the uaap players. althoguh uaap still has the edge as far as talent is concerned. UAAP palyers are less willing to mix it up and mistake physical play for intentional hurting more often than not.

for reference, just check some of the retro games on S23.

oca
03-04-2008, 04:36 PM
the more i see it the more im inclined to say that the NCAA is far more physical than the uaap. in fact the naascu, cusa and ncraa are much more physical than the uaap players. althoguh uaap still has the edge as far as talent is concerned. UAAP palyers are less willing to mix it up and mistake physical play for intentional hurting more often than not.

for reference, just check some of the retro games on S23.

More than that....

Sa NC', then and now, seldom do players and fans blame the refs for their defeats. Unlike sa UAAP, pre-game pa lang.. in game... post game laging usapin ang referees. ::) ::) ::)

Sa public perception lesser league ang NC', but they know how to take a loss. Yes, they'll complain about certain calls and non-calls. But at the end of the game, pag talo, talo!

Mang_Roger
03-04-2008, 05:22 PM
I agree that the NCAA brand of basketball is more physical. May kultura kasi sa ibang team na bumulong, utusan o hayaan ng isang coach tumira mga players nila o mang-braso to compensate for their lack of basketball skills and/or smarts. Yan ang pamana ng old school NCAA.

Kaya lang there is simply no way we can gauge, with certainty, which league is better.

Kung natuloy yung merger, pinakamagandang batayan yun. Kaya lang ayaw ng UAAP ;)

bchoter
03-04-2008, 07:03 PM
^^ But not in the recent stepladder. Coach Pido didn't blame the refs. Not even his players. Di daw kasi dinalaw ni John Lee si Nonoy :D

joelex
03-05-2008, 06:55 AM
Hate to say it, but sometimes i cant help but look at the uaap players as overrated. UAAP players that went on to play in the PBL and especially the PBA are good players, but there is a vast drop in talent/skill when looking at those who dont make it to the PBL, and at the same time it cannot be said that they are better than players from the NC and the other collegiate leagues in the Metro. For a time I wanted to believe that the UAAP hype was legit and got peeved everytime I hear non UAAP players (just because I had several friends from the NAASCU and NCRAA) saying that they are just as good if not better but with mych less hype. But lately it seems like ive been proven wrong since I constantly get to watch games pitting players from various leagues in our town.

As much as I dont wanna name names, but to give examples.. in their PBL game, Jervy Cruz couldnt back down nor go around Mapua's Nat Cruz, but the same could not be said when Nat Cruz was in possesion. Just check out their stats. Ira Buyco was the UAAP bad boy during his time, but Danny Capobres, Randy LopeZ and Francis Sanz took turns making him cry. Remember the names Micutuan, Porto and Mabayo? How about former NC tough guys, Balneg and Daryl Mendoza? Probably not, but they beat UST in the CCL. Langya, yang Mendoza naninipa pa kay Jervy. ;D Im sure giving more props to hardcore and underground schools will fit this site's theme to the fullest.

oca
03-05-2008, 08:16 AM
Hate to say it, but sometimes i cant help but look at the uaap players as overrated. UAAP players that went on to play in the PBL and especially the PBA are good players, but there is a vast drop in talent/skill when looking at those who dont make it to the PBL, and at the same time it cannot be said that they are better than players from the NC and the other collegiate leagues in the Metro. For a time I wanted to believe that the UAAP hype was legit and got peeved everytime I hear non UAAP players (just because I had several friends from the NAASCU and NCRAA) saying that they are just as good if not better but with mych less hype. But lately it seems like ive been proven wrong since I constantly get to watch games pitting players from various leagues in our town.

As much as I dont wanna name names, but to give examples.. in their PBL game, Jervy Cruz couldnt back down nor go around Mapua's Nat Cruz, but the same could not be said when Nat Cruz was in possesion. Just check out their stats. Ira Buyco was the UAAP bad boy during his time, but Danny Capobres, Randy LopeZ and Francis Sanz took turns making him cry. Remember the names Micutuan, Porto and Mabayo? How about former NC tough guys, Balneg and Daryl Mendoza? Probably not, but they beat UST in the CCL. Langya, yang Mendoza naninipa pa kay Jervy. ;D* Im sure giving more props to hardcore and underground schools will fit this site's theme to the fullest.

The followers of those schools and leagues must just make an effort to be active here at gameface.

As for the rest of your post...isa lang ang dahilan ng ganon perception...TV and the weekend timeslots. Exposure cultivates discussion. Exposure generates opinion. The more someone is talked about, it will create a perception.

Collegiate games, regardless of the name of the league and teams involved, are genuinely exciting. Pero may slant leaning towards a better perception pag may TV exposure on a better timeslot. Simply, pag laging nakikita at napag-uusapan, akala na tuwirang magagaling across the board.

Also, pana-panahon rin yan. There was a time when UAAP players actualy felt timid and at times even outright inferior in the presence of NC' players. By the late 80's and through the 90's, baligtad naman. This past 3 to 4 years, things are starting to level off. Among players, they now consider each other as co-equals. Yung mga non-hardcore fans na lang ang makulit in saying one league is better than the other. When in fact yung TV coverage lang naman may likha ng ganong perception.

bchoter
03-05-2008, 10:18 AM
^ Yes, the UAAP bball programs have taken notice of the harcore hoopsters. Part of big time hoops programs na ngayon ang pag recruit ng transfers from lesser known leagues. At first glance mukhang DLSU with Gaco started the trend but FEU and UE has done this for the longest time. Ngayon lang nagiging high profile ang mga transfers. Ateneo has paraded Nonoy Baclao, a sure top 5 frontliner come 71. UST has high hopes on Maliksi (hope he recovers from a partially torn ACL) a former UM Hawk. These guys can come in and immediately make an impact.

But on the Nat-Jervy comparison, I don't think this is the best example of how overrated the UAAP players are or how underrated players from smaller league are becasue Jervy, at this point, is way behind experience-wise. Nat Cruz has been toiling in the commercial leagues for a couple of years now while Jervy is still feeling his way in both in the league and his team's scheme. Heck, he's not even the 2nd or 3rd relief guy for Rodriguez, playing behind Mercado and Grijaldo. Even during his NT stint, Jervy didn't easily adapt to it because he wasn't getting the touches he's used to. Until he gets more exposure, Jervy cannot give justice to the UAAP in the PBL.

Mang_Roger
03-05-2008, 11:04 AM

As much as I dont wanna name names, but to give examples.. in their PBL game, Jervy Cruz couldnt back down nor go around Mapua's Nat Cruz, but the same could not be said when Nat Cruz was in possesion. Just check out their stats. Ira Buyco was the UAAP bad boy during his time, but Danny Capobres, Randy LopeZ and Francis Sanz took turns making him cry. Remember the names Micutuan, Porto and Mabayo? How about former NC tough guys, Balneg and Daryl Mendoza? Probably not, but they beat UST in the CCL. Langya, yang Mendoza naninipa pa kay Jervy. ;D* Im sure giving more props to hardcore and underground schools will fit this site's theme to the fullest.

The followers of those schools and leagues must just make an effort to be active here at gameface.

As for the rest of your post...isa lang ang dahilan ng ganon perception...TV and the weekend timeslots. Exposure cultivates discussion. Exposure generates opinion. The more someone is talked about, it will create a perception.

Collegiate games, regardless of the name of the league and teams involved, are genuinely exciting. Pero may slant leaning towards a better perception pag may TV exposure on a better timeslot. Simply, pag laging nakikita at napag-uusapan, akala na tuwirang magagaling across the board.

Also, pana-panahon rin yan. There was a time when UAAP players actualy felt timid and at times even outright inferior in the presence of NC' players. By the late 80's and through the 90's, baligtad naman. This past 3 to 4 years, things are starting to level off. Among players, they now consider each other as co-equals. Yung mga non-hardcore fans na lang ang makulit in saying one league is better than the other. When in fact yung TV coverage lang naman may likha ng ganong perception.

Best example would be the San Sebastian team from 1993-1997. That team, bannered by Adducul, can give every collegaite team at that time a run for their money. Even the 1990-1991 Mapua team has a formidable line-up.

I agree with you, media hype and exposure boost the general perception that a certain league is superior. Malaking bagay talaga ang weekend games at diyan agrabyado and NCAA and other leagues as well.

LION
03-05-2008, 11:54 AM
That 5-peat San Sebastian team can beat even a UAAP mythical team if one were formed at that time.

danny
03-07-2008, 05:40 AM

Capitalismo, baby!

Celebrity obsession, assault against reason or simply the manufacture of consent. Normal in the context of perpetual capitalist accumulation. Follow the money. The medium is the message. :D

When reality is replaced by perception even among hardcore fans, then it's an Orwellian world already. Gameface may look lika a fringe collective of fans attempting to reclaim reason from basketball media thought manipulation.

This fringe collective is good enough for me. Then I'll go for a non-fiat money steady-state economy that will do away with the myth of perpetual growth to survive.

Lasing lang. ;)

Joescoundrel
03-12-2008, 12:11 AM
I wonder sometimes, exactly what do we mean when we say "better" when talking about the two leading college leagues?

Is it in terms of fan attendance?

Is it in terms of PBA players or PBA MVP's produced?

Is it in terms of National Team members produced?

What about crossover schools like Ateneo and Lasalle who started in the NCAA but are now in the UAAP?

Alvin Patrimonio is from an NCAA school and won four MVP awards, Willie Miller has two. Danny I has two, Kenneth Duremdes and Johnny Abarrientos have one each, all of them are from UAAP schools. How much of that is due to their individual skill and talent and how much can be attributed to having been in a given league?

To my recollection only one NCAA player (Kerby Raymundo) and one UAAP player (Renren Ritualo) are on the current RP Team. The rest except Ranidel De Ocampo are all Fil-Foreign.

danny
03-12-2008, 02:07 AM
Perceived* glitz/glamour, sponsorships and media exposure. That's how some fans would always like to frame the discussion when trying to downplay the NCAA.

Examples include:

1.* In a merger, the UAAP has nothing to gain in terms of making the league more popular.
2.* NCAA players are not as hyped as the UAAP counterpart.
3.* The UAAP are all universities while the NCAA allows colleges to compete.

In terms of attendance, the UAAP can easily win by default simply because of the huge student population compared to much smaller colleges in the NCAA like San Beda and Letran with around 6k to 7k* each (and that's from the elementary to college level).* However, if we use per capita attendance* and not the nominal figure,* a different story will emerge.* *

History, tradition and identity? Let us not even dwell on this.

Solution? Let's kick-ass in* unified league under one national collegiate sports body. (Not those by invitation only where losers will always find ways to downplay the results.)*

Unless of course the GAME* is really not about sports on the first place. Unlike the American model,* divide and conquer to perpetuate the current business model seems more appropriate. If I were ABS-CBS, contrary to common belief,* a divided league with two F4 and Championship Games will deliver two sources of income. Not to mention* the unacceptable "charitable" sharing of income to non-profit making schools from the point of view of both the UAAP Board and the NCAA ManCom. ;D

Who is better? The puppet masters of course. And we are the pawns, so they think.

Sam Miguel
04-01-2008, 11:52 PM
I was surprised to discover that some schools give their players "won game" bonuses (really some sort of bonus allowance) for every game they win, i.e. every win means getting say P500 cash in the dugout from say the team manager or some "booster".

Is this allowed under UAAP rules?

Is this allowed under NCAA rules?

LION
04-02-2008, 07:44 AM
I think that with respect to the "booster", this is purely personal and rules are inexistent about giving "bonuses". If the booster is feeling happy about the won game/s, then he can be generous and give extra to his adopted player. At least the bonus is based on performance and results.

The_Big_Cat
04-02-2008, 09:36 AM
Probably a good motivation for these kids. At least their playing to win the game.

Howard the Duck
04-02-2008, 12:24 PM
aren't they "amateurs" so that means no money? :D

As per league comparison, UAAP is like Duke... great team but crappy players :p
NCAA produces better players, IMHO :D