PDA

View Full Version : DLSU high school teams

bigfreeze_bibby
03-28-2006, 10:56 AM
This is where you can post news, updates, game schedules of the DLSU high school teams. Any La Salle system high school will be welcome in terms of providing updates in the team. This would help us out in looking for DLSU high school studs that can make it or will be good enough to become a future Green Archer.

LION
03-28-2006, 02:49 PM
bigfreeze,

Do you have a list of HS players (Greenhills and Zobel) who played college ball for DLSU?

bigfreeze_bibby
03-29-2006, 07:37 AM
bigfreeze,

Do you have a list of HS players (Greenhills and Zobel) who played college ball for DLSU?

I don't have the list with me but I'll try my best to get a copy of it. As soon as I get it, I'll post it here.

LION
03-29-2006, 02:18 PM
^ Ok Bigfreeze. Will wait for it. It would be interesting to note which between LSGH and LSZ has produced the most number of players who played for the Green Archers (and would therefore has the bragging rights as THE REAL juniors team of the DLS system).

Also, would you know the reason why LSGH plays in the NCAA and LSZ in the UAAP? An insider like you can probably educate us on this topic.

Thanks.

dexneg
03-30-2006, 11:39 PM
^^
When DLSU's application with the UAAP was approved in 1985, it was on the condition that its junior team should be DLSZ.

LSGH was left with no league since 1980. Thus, when CSB applied in the NCAA, i guess, LSGH was the logical choice for its junior team.

LION
03-31-2006, 07:44 AM
^ Many thanks dexneg.

bigfreeze_bibby
03-31-2006, 10:23 AM
Based sa pagkaka-alam ko is that LSGH was the junior's team of then DLSC in the NCAA. Nung umalis ang La Salle sa NCAA dun na din ang start na nawalan ng partner collegiate team ang LSGH.

Pero di puede gamitin ng LSGH ang La Salle sa kanilang uniforms, St. Benilde pa rin ang ginagamit nila. And as some sort of "penalty" na rin siguro na no remnants of La Salle will be left in the NCAA, CSB and LSGH should only use green as its tertiary color. Ang primary colors nila are black and white.

Rektikano
04-01-2006, 12:14 PM
bigfreeze,

As far as I can remember:

from LSGH:

Binky Favis, Aljun Garcia, Jong Uichico, Dominique Uy, Martin Grau, Francis Zamora, Mike Gavino, Mika Vainio........

from Zobel :

Luigi Trillo, Jason Webb, Juno Sauler, Gee Abanilla, Dino Aldeguer, Eric Arejola....

gameface_one
04-01-2006, 12:25 PM
bigfreeze,

from LSGH:

Binky Favis, Aljun Garcia, Jong Uichico, Dominique Uy, Martin Grau, Francis Zamora, Mike Gavino, Mika Vainio........

from Zobel :

Luigi Trillo, Jason Webb, Juno Sauler, Gee Abanilla, Dino Aldeguer, Eric Arejola....

Welcome to gameface.ph Rektikano! Feel free to share with us your tons of knowledge about hardcore hoops.Hope the rest of the credible and reliable AP.com gang join us soon here in our new playground.

boyscout
04-01-2006, 02:31 PM
LSGH has more alumni who went on to play for DLSU Green Archers due to it being an older and much larger high school than DLSZ....as to the condition that DLSZ be the juniors team of DLSU as imposed by the UAAP board, that might not be the case. DLSZ was probably chosen to be the juniors squad because the school is under the DLSU system. LSGH, on the other hand, has always been an independent La Salle high school even prior to the closing of the high school division in taft.

Bear in mind that DLSU had its own high school back then. LSGH only became the juniors squad when DLSU closed down its high school in Taft. So, in essence, LSGH was not the first juniors squad of DLSU.

Perhaps a better comparison between the two high schools is the win/lose stats n the annual inter la salle basketball tournament. It would be interesting to see which high school has more wins over the other. Im pretty sure it will come out even or a slight lead by the home team.

shyboy
04-07-2006, 09:35 PM

from LSGH:

from Zobel :

Calijohn Orfrecio?

Rektikano
04-08-2006, 11:39 AM
I don't think Calijohn graduated from either LSGH or DLSZ. I think he came from another country.

bchoter
04-08-2006, 11:51 AM
bigfreeze,

from LSGH:

from Zobel :

Didn't Binky Favis play for UST in college?

shyboy
04-09-2006, 01:13 AM
Didn't Binky Favis play for UST in college?

Binky Favis went to DLSU for college in 1987 out of LSGH. He played for one year with the Archers. In 1988, he redshirted when the likes of Limpot, Cardel et al came into the picture. Magaling si Favis, I had the chance to watch him play in DLSU, can't remember if sa LSAL or in one of those pickup games at the basketball courts sa Chess Plaza. I think it was in 1989 when he transferred to UST, probably sensing there won't be any spot for him in the Archers lineup for the next 4-5 years. As such, he had to earn his residency for a year before playing for the then Glowing Goldies.

Rektikano
04-09-2006, 06:51 PM
^^^^

Correct. Binky Favis graduated from LSGH and went to DLSU. He played for the Archers in 1987. By the way, he was a computer science student while in LaSalle.

shyboy
04-09-2006, 10:02 PM
^^^^

Correct. Binky Favis graduated from LSGH and went to DLSU. He played for the Archers in 1987. By the way, he was a computer science student while in LaSalle.

Oo nga pala ano, CompSci nga pala si Favis when he was in DLSU.

Going back to the high school topic, does anyone know from which HS did the 80s tisoys Eddie Viaplana and Joey Santamaria come from? If I remember correctly, Dickie Bachmann came from San Agustin. Teddy Monasterio from San Beda. Jonas Mariano was from LSGH I think but transferred somewhere, UE yata (Mariano eh), to complete his secondary schooling. How about si BJ Afable?

Rektikano
04-10-2006, 07:28 PM
^^^^

Eddie Viaplana came from San Agustin/Southridge. Joey Santamaria was 1 year ahead of Dickie Bachmann in San Agustin. I think BJ Afable came from LSGH, not sure though. Jonas Mariano was from LSGH but transferred to UE high to complete his secondary education. Another guy who came from LSGH pala was Arnel Guste. I think mag kabatch sila ni Binky Favis.

bombet
04-14-2006, 02:35 AM
Jonas Mariano was my batchmate at LSGH. Due to failures incurred in 3rd yr HS, he had to transfer to another school to avoid repeating 3rd yr HS. Maybe there was a concession given to him to transfer instead of failing. Why UE? Maybe his dad still has ties with his alma mater.

bombet
04-17-2006, 12:13 PM
^^^^

Oo nga pala ano, CompSci nga pala si Favis when he was in DLSU.

Going back to the high school topic, does anyone know from which HS did the 80s tisoys Eddie Viaplana and Joey Santamaria come from? If I remember correctly, Dickie Bachmann came from San Agustin. Teddy Monasterio from San Beda. Jonas Mariano was from LSGH I think but transferred somewhere, UE yata (Mariano eh), to complete his secondary schooling. How about si BJ Afable?

Was Binky Favis part of the team that won the Inter-secondary title in 1986 that beat a Benjie Paras led Red Cubs? Who were the other members of that victorious squad aside from Joey Guanio and Eric Reyes?

always green
04-17-2006, 02:40 PM
Yes, Binky was part of that team including Ricky Henson - who was a deadshot beyond the arc.

salsa caballero
04-17-2006, 02:55 PM
Also on that '86 champion team were Jing Uson and Martin Villongco. Uson went on to college at ADMU and became a covered courts/intrams star.

Eddie Viaplana went to Southridge for high school. BJ Afable came from ADMU-HS, (just like that "other" more famous BJ.) Guste did come from LSGH, while Rafa Dinglasan went to high school in the province, after transferring in early grade school, from Xavier.

Kid Cubao
04-17-2006, 03:29 PM
jing uson also played bass for the band afterimage in the early to mid 90s. lead singer wency cornejo was an alumnus of LSGH.

bombet
04-18-2006, 01:00 PM
Also on that '86 champion team were Jing Uson and Martin Villongco. Uson went on to college at ADMU and became a covered courts/intrams star.

Eddie Viaplana went to Southridge for high school. BJ Afable came from ADMU-HS, (just like that "other" more famous BJ.) Guste did come from LSGH, while Rafa Dinglasan went to high school in the province, after transferring in early grade school, from Xavier.

How about Jonas Mariano? I think he was part of that team.

always green
04-18-2006, 01:19 PM
No, Jonas Mariano was still a sophomore at this time, so he was not included in this team. He, however, was part of the 87 team which included arnel guste, andrei duran, binky favis and ricky henson among others.

bombet
04-22-2006, 04:41 AM
No, Jonas Mariano was still a sophomore at this time, so he was not included in this team. He, however, was part of the 87 team which included arnel guste, andrei duran, binky favis and ricky henson among others.

Aside from that championship in 1986, did La Salle win any other Inter-secondary crown?

ott
04-22-2006, 12:35 PM
now that la salle is supended, what happens to dlsz?

suspended din ba? ???

bigfreeze_bibby
04-24-2006, 07:35 AM
Yes, DLSZ won't play as well because of the 1 year suspension.

Out_Of_The_Blue
08-02-2006, 10:22 PM
Can anybody from our green friends confirm that Salva already transferred to San Beda high school? If so, what is the real reason for this?

bigfreeze_bibby
08-03-2006, 08:46 AM
Can anybody from our green friends confirm that Salva already transferred to San Beda high school? If so, what is the real reason for this?

Yes Nico Salva has transferred to San Beda. Medyo matagal nang balita ito. He's the third transferree as well after LA Revilla and Tommy Babilonia Apparently, there's this misunderstanding between the parents of the players and the coaching staff but the Brothers have taken a look at this concern already. For sure there will be reforms that will be instituted later on regarding the roles and responsibilities of parents and coaches to the basketball team.

pio_valenz
08-04-2006, 07:33 PM
Yes, Binky was part of that team including Ricky Henson - who was a deadshot beyond the arc.

Ah, Ricky Henson. He was my batchmate in UP. A great player, tried out for the Maroons but not sure if he himself chose not to pursue a slot on the team. I think he finished Engineering, just not sure which Eng'g discipline.

Somehow UP always has some ex-La Salle high school players in its line-up, dating back to Joey Guanio and eventually including LSGH alums like Vito Arnaiz, Gino Ferrer, Bruce Quebral and DLSZ alums like Hans Bayaborda and of course the current crop: Migs De Asis, Martin Reyes and Dan Salvador.

brian
08-05-2006, 03:10 AM

Ah, Ricky Henson. He was my batchmate in UP. A great player, tried out for the Maroons but not sure if he himself chose not to pursue a slot on the team. I think he finished Engineering, just not sure which Eng'g discipline.

Somehow UP always has some ex-La Salle high school players in its line-up, dating back to Joey Guanio and eventually including LSGH alums like Vito Arnaiz, Gino Ferrer, Bruce Quebral and DLSZ alums like Hans Bayaborda and of course the current crop: Migs De Asis, Martin Reyes and Dan Salvador.

if i may recall, last season or the season before this, up also had a pointguard from lsgh...si buenvenida ata yun, who at that time played alongside tabique...

gfy
08-05-2006, 06:12 AM
Heard that Salva's parents want their son to go to UP or Ateneo for college. BTW, Benitez is reportedly finishing HS and may go to Mapua.

Mateen Cleaves
08-05-2006, 07:27 AM
^We're HOPING that's the case. FYI, both of Nico's parents played varsity basketball for UP in the 80s. :)

pio_valenz
08-07-2006, 03:47 PM

if i may recall, last season or the season before this, up also had a pointguard from lsgh...si buenvenida ata yun, who at that time played alongside tabique...

Yup, you're correct. I forgot about the Bienvenida brothers. Yes, there were two who suited up for UP: Marvin in 2002 and Alvin from 2003-2005.

kryptonite
10-10-2006, 09:17 AM
LSGH has more alumni who went on to play for DLSU Green Archers due to it being an older and much larger high school than DLSZ....as to the condition that DLSZ be the juniors team of DLSU as imposed by the UAAP board, that might not be the case. DLSZ was probably chosen to be the juniors squad because the school is under the DLSU system. LSGH, on the other hand, has always been an independent La Salle high school even prior to the closing of the high school division in taft.

Bear in mind that DLSU had its own high school back then. LSGH only became the juniors squad when DLSU closed down its high school in Taft. So, in essence, LSGH was not the first juniors squad of DLSU.

Perhaps a better comparison between the two high schools is the win/lose stats n the annual inter la salle basketball tournament. It would be interesting to see which high school has more wins over the other. Im pretty sure it will come out even or a slight lead by the home team.

I think DLSU used their own HS squad to play in the NCAA. The last HS batch of DLSU was 1984, correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not sure if LSGH ever played junior's ball prior to the entry of St. Benilde.

nel
10-11-2006, 08:00 AM
When La Salle was in the NCAA, it was the LSGH teams that competed in the various events in the NCAA junior division. In the UAAP, DLSZ became DLSU's junior team. LSGH went on to rejoin the NCAA in tandem with CSB, but had to change their dominant school colors from green to black.

kryptonite
10-11-2006, 09:06 PM
ah ok...I just remembered reading a sports article on the NCAA in the late 70s and saw Jong Uichico's name in the box scores so yes LSGH played junior ball in the NCAA.

MonL
10-11-2006, 10:36 PM
ah ok...I just remembered reading a sports article on the NCAA in the late 70s and saw Jong Uichico's name in the box scores so yes LSGH played junior ball in the NCAA.

Check out some of the boxscores in the "Year Zero" thread in our Den. Jong Uichico was the Juniors' most prolific scorer, and the Greenies were the Cubs' toughest opponents in 1978. But his game made a 180 degree turn when he played Senior ball, as we all know now, during the Danding Cojuanco and Ron Jacobs era.

Mitchell Gumabao, aka Dennis Roldan and Roseller "Yeng" Guiao were Greenies whose names appeared on the top 20 scoring lists in their time back then.

boyscout
10-13-2006, 10:30 AM
I believe year 1980 was the last grade school batch of taft, the high school was already phased during that time.* Graduates of that year had a choice of either Zobel or Greenhills with the majority transfering to the greenhills campus(probinsya pa Alabang).* If im not mistaken, The first batch of Zobel was in 1984 and had onyl two sections.* Some of the alumni of batch 84 were remnants of the grade school batch of DLSU( couldnt say most since DLSZ is a COED school so they already had female students at that time).* *

Share ko lang, got a video of the 2005 DLSZ junior Archers from a batchmate/barkada of mine. You guys might be interested in seeing future king archers Simon Atkins and David Webb in action. Pretty good batch since 5 of them are now playing college ball (Simon Atkins for DLSU, David Urra for DLSU-CSB, Martin Reyes, Migs De Asis and Dan Salvador for UP). Hope you guys enjoy it.*

Highlight of the 2005 championship game against UPIS Junior Maroons

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1EBLFriwis

Brief History of DLSU juniors team,* introduction of 2005 De La Salle Junior Archers and buzzer beater games of DLSU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2sPAqd9szU

brian
10-17-2006, 01:54 PM

Check out some of the boxscores in the "Year Zero" thread in our Den. Jong Uichico was the Juniors' most prolific scorer, and the Greenies were the Cubs' toughest opponents in 1978. But his game made a 180 degree turn when he played Senior ball, as we all know now, during the Danding Cojuanco and Ron Jacobs era.

Mitchell Gumabao, aka Dennis Roldan and Roseller "Yeng" Guiao were Greenies whose names appeared on the top 20 scoring lists in their time back then.

yup, yeng guiao played for lsgh and so did junel baculi....in fact, magkabatch/teammate si junel and jong ..

brian
10-17-2006, 02:01 PM
LSGH has more* alumni who went on to play for DLSU Green Archers due to it being an older and much larger high school than DLSZ....as to the condition that DLSZ be the juniors team of DLSU as imposed by the UAAP board, that might not be the case.* DLSZ was probably chosen to be the juniors squad because the school is under the DLSU system. LSGH, on the other hand,* has always been an independent La Salle high school even prior to the closing of the high school division in taft.*

Bear in mind* that DLSU had its own high school back then.* LSGH only became the juniors squad when DLSU closed down its high school in Taft.* So, in essence, LSGH was not the first juniors squad of DLSU.* *

Perhaps a better comparison between the two high schools is the win/lose stats n the annual inter la salle basketball tournament. It would be interesting to see which high school has more wins over the other.* Im pretty sure* it will come out even or a slight lead by the home team.

I think DLSU used their own HS squad to play in the NCAA. The last HS batch of DLSU was 1984, correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not sure if LSGH ever played junior's ball prior to the entry of St. Benilde.

kryptonite,

as i recall, i graduated gradeschool '75(lsgh) and upon entering high school in '76, almost half of our class came from from taft.. by that time wala ng highschool ang taft....pero di ko maalala kung kelan exactly na phase out ang highschool ng taft..

bchoter
10-25-2006, 01:33 PM
I was (pleasantly) surprised to see Salva play against DLSZ in the FMC Juniors Finals (and will no longer play in the UAAP). He was the best player in the SBC B lineup and could have made the game more intesting if he did not succumb to cramps in the 4th Q.

Talagang huli sa balita pag bihirang dumalaw sa gameface.ph :D

bigfreeze_bibby
10-25-2006, 03:27 PM
I was (pleasantly) surprised to see Salva play against DLSZ in the FMC Juniors Finals (and will no longer play in the UAAP). He was the best player in the SBC B lineup and could have made the game more intesting if he did not succumb to cramps in the 4th Q.

We'll see if he doesn't make a comeback to the UAAP hehe. ::)

flsfnoeraekadad
10-25-2006, 03:38 PM
What's the story behind making DLSZ our UAAP contingent? Why Zobel over Greenhills? I'm not insinuating anything, just for trivial purposes.

Ghostrider
10-25-2006, 03:53 PM
I believe year 1980 was the last grade school batch of taft, the high school was already phased during that time.* Graduates of that year had a choice of either Zobel or Greenhills with the majority transfering to the greenhills campus(probinsya pa Alabang).* If im not mistaken, The first batch of Zobel was in 1984 and had onyl two sections.* Some of the alumni of batch 84 were remnants of the grade school batch of DLSU( couldnt say most since DLSZ is a COED school so they already had female students at that time).* *

The last grade school batch of Taft was 1983-1984.

I think the Taft grade school stopped accepting applicants for grade 1 in 1977. All I can recall from my uncles is that there was no more Taft HS in 1979.

Binky Favis was a graduate of the next to last grade school batch 1982-1983. Graduation ceremonies of the Grade school department were usually held at the Phil-Am life auditorium in United Nations Avenue.

If I'm not mistaken, aside from Mang Jack the DO, the only other remnant of the DLSU grade school still in Taft right now is none other than Ms. Melisse Del Rosario of the Admissions department.

LION
10-25-2006, 04:08 PM

We'll see if he doesn't make a comeback to the UAAP hehe. ::)

About Salva,* sa tingin ko maglalaro yan sa UP. Or pwede ring maglaro as a Green Archer or as a Red Lion (madalas niyang panooring maglaro ang Red Lions nung nakaraang NCAA sa NAS at sa Araneta).* *

No offense meant to DLSU, pero sa tingin ko hindi pa ganun kalakas ang hatak ng DLSU kay Salva.* Kumbaga, hindi pa berde ang dugo ng bata.* *At this point, I think it will be the parents who will eventually decide for the kid.* At matagal pa yon. Dalawang taon pa bago natin malalaman.

Ranger
10-25-2006, 04:36 PM
Kung magpapahabol pa si Salva sa inyo na lang sya! We don't need his attitude in DLSU...

oca
10-26-2006, 09:39 AM
Kung magpapahabol pa si Salva sa inyo na lang sya! We don't need his attitude in DLSU...

The kid is ok. Ang may "isyu" ay yung tatay.

In the many occasions I saw the elder Salva watch his son play, todate the former has not established a rapport with the hardcore supporters of the Red Cubs. I take this to mean as, the elder Salva not having any intention of making the kid stay at San Beda after highschool. Kahit nga sa coaching staff hindi nakikihalubilo ang tatay. Unlike the parents of other Red Cubs at Team B, they have a very "normal relationship" with the coaching staff.

At kung hindi nagpapakita ng interest ang tatay, I doubt if anyone at the Den will bother to invite the kid to stay after highschool.

It is obvious, yung tatay ang may huling pasya rito.

LION
10-26-2006, 10:49 AM

The kid is ok. Ang may "isyu" ay yung tatay.

In the many occasions I saw the elder Salva watch his son play, todate the former has not established a rapport with the hardcore supporters of the Red Cubs. I take this to mean as, the elder Salva not having any intention of making the kid stay at San Beda after highschool. Kahit nga sa coaching staff hindi nakikihalubilo ang tatay. Unlike the parents of other Red Cubs at Team B, they have a very "normal relationship" with the coaching staff.

At kung hindi nagpapakita ng interest ang tatay, I doubt if anyone at the Den will bother to invite the kid to stay after highschool.

It is obvious, yung tatay ang may huling pasya rito.

I posted before my opinion that Salva is just using SBC as a "halfway house" while he is trying to sort out some issues. We did not recruit him, he came to us looking for a place to stay.

As far as I know, there are no moves yet from SBC to recruit this kid. Masyado ng maraming prospects and Red Lions at problema na nga kung sino ang kailangang iangat sa Team A.

Tama ang obserbasyon ni Oca. Yung bata hindi masyadong malapit sa ibang mga Red Cubs sa Team A. Madalas nanonood yan ng laro ng Red Lions at isa lang parati ang kasama niya na hindi pa player. Tahimik lang yung bata. At mukhang malalim. As of now, walang nakakaalam ng totoong saloobin ni Salva.

Kaya, again no offense meant to DLSU, huwag niyo munang "i-alienate" yung bata. Sa tingin ko hindi siya nagpapahabol. Malay ninyo gusto niyang maglaro sa inyo. Kaya lang, alam niyang hindi naman siya lang ang magde desisyon para sa sarili niya.

bigfreeze_bibby
10-26-2006, 01:49 PM
The last grade school batch of Taft was 1983-1984.*

I think the Taft grade school stopped accepting applicants for grade 1 in 1977.* All I can recall from my uncles is that there was no more Taft HS in 1979.

Binky Favis was a graduate of the next to last grade school batch 1982-1983.* Graduation ceremonies of the Grade school department were usually held at the Phil-Am life auditorium in United Nations Avenue.*

If I'm not mistaken, aside from Mang Jack the DO, the only other remnant of the DLSU grade school still in Taft right now is none other than Ms. Melisse Del Rosario of the Admissions department.

Pare off topic, ang ganda ng avatar mo nice shot hahaha.

Regarding Salva, tingin ko sa UP siya mas inclined pumunta but as of now, I really have to say magaling at may potential yung bata. Sayang at nawala ito sa LSGH. If coach Ato will improve him further in 2 years, malamang pag-aagawan ito ng iba't ibang paaralan for college.

shyboy
10-26-2006, 04:09 PM
I hope Salva considers DLSU for college. If two years pa, does this mean he'll possibly come in together with Joshua Webb? It'll be Maiierhoffer's fourth playing year when they get on board and those two can be Rico's protege in his final two years with the Archers. La Salle needs big men for the long term program and Salva will be a welcome addition to our frontline.

bigfreeze_bibby
10-26-2006, 10:32 PM
Actually, IMO, Salva is one of those guys fit to be converted to a wingman, a tall wingman at that. If ever he chooses DLSU for college and coach Franz can convert him to a good, tall wingman then he'll definitely be a good addition to the team. You are actually right shyboy, Salva's arrival to the team (assumptions again) will be a perfect timing to have a good, tall, and athletic squad who can run up and down the court and play the pressure defense.

It's still 2 years, madami pang puedeng mangyari, so we'll see how Salva develops in those 2 years in San Beda. Dun lahat nakadepend itong mga assumptions natin.

BLUE HORSE
10-28-2006, 12:37 AM

There is a big issue between members of the LSGH coaching staff and parents/guardians of the LSGH players. In trying to alienate Salva, do you plan to do the same to Fran and the other former LSGH players who transferred to Beda from Greenhills? When 5 players bolts or decline to play for the high school varsity team, there is a big problem in the basketball program. LSGH will be competitive in next years NCAA only if Fran decides to play for the varsity team.

This past season would have been the best chance for LSGH to win the NCAA junior championship if there was no turmoil in the basketball program. The starting 5 this past season could have been Ferdinand, Fran, Salva, Liwag and Revilla. The team definitely had size and the players had been playing together for sometime. It was suppose to be LSGH's time to harvest the fruits of the grass roots program; the administration, team management and coaching staff ended up trying to squealch the rebellion from within the program for the past 2 seasons.

glock23
10-28-2006, 01:23 PM
^^^the coaching staff in LSGH is the root of all problems in our basketball program in greenhills. the school admin know about it but refuse to do something for reasons that are beyond me! I have heard complaints coming from some parents and guardians of ex players and they are unanimous in their disgust in the way the program is being implemented by the coaches. its just frustrating to see potentially great players leaving our fold.

flsfnoeraekadad
10-28-2006, 10:22 PM
La Salle Greenhills won one earlier over De La Salle Zobel in the inter-La Salle High Schools Tournament. The Greenies are the champions.

JonarSabilano
10-30-2006, 10:54 AM
What's the story behind making DLSZ our UAAP contingent? Why Zobel over Greenhills? I'm not insinuating anything, just for trivial purposes.

I think it's got something to do with Zobel and Greenhills being controlled by different FSC provinces (much like how Xavier and AdMU are controlled by different SJ provinces). But I'll verify first with my bro who teaches at Zobel.

brian
10-30-2006, 12:07 PM

I think it's got something to do with Zobel and Greenhills being controlled by different FSC provinces (much like how Xavier and AdMU are controlled by different SJ provinces). But I'll verify first with my bro who teaches at Zobel.

actually, it was a pre-condition of the uaap that the junior team of dlsu would be zobel...di ko na maalala ang details kung bakit..

can anyone else enlighten us pls..

bchoter
11-03-2006, 10:52 PM
Salva is more of a wing man. He's got moves that are well ahead of his peers. Kaya lang minsan masyadong fancy. Maraming matututunan ito sa San Beda... para pakinabangan ni coach Joe sa UP?

boy2hog
11-20-2006, 12:08 PM
I think zobel won the MMBL Division 1 Championship of 2005 na kasali ang NCAA powerhouse teams like Letran, San Beda, PCU and San Sebastian. Zobel won over Letran sa Finals. Na eliminate ng Letran ang San Beda sa semis. That time was yung last year nila Menor and Taganas sa high school and months before mag champion ang Zobel sa UAAP 2005. The Zobel team na nag laro sa champions league or inter secondary, I'm not sure sa name ng league pero kasali din ang San Sebastian, San Beda and PCU. Yung line up nila is not the exact line up ng Zobel UAAP champion team of 2005. I think nag tangal na sila ng ibang junior and senior players ang Zobel team so hindi na yun yung exact line up na nag champion sa UAAP unlike yung mga pinadala ng NCAA teams na intact na ang line up plus pinalaro pa nila ang Team B players ng college team nila. Ito yung ginawa ng PCU team.Yun yung sabi ng isang organizer ng MMBL.Sure siya na hindi yun yung exact line up na ginamit ng PCU sa MMBL Div.1 and during the NCAA season of 2005. In short, nanalo naman ang Zobel UAAP champion team sa mga powerhouse NCAA teams during the time of Atkins. Nag champion nga sila sa MMBL Division 1 of 2005. ;D

gallery
11-21-2006, 11:51 PM
Yup DLSZ has played and beaten top NCAA teams. DLSZ beat the PCU (Mangahas, etc.. ) and Xavier (The Tiong Lian Champions with Woody Co) in the 2005 MMBL. I was also in San Sebastian Gym where DLSZ beat San Sebastian (Salamat, Buenafe, etc...) by 7 points in a tune up game, a few days before 2005 NCAA opening (San Sebastian went on to win their 1st Junior NCAA crown). DLSZ beat LSGH three times (MMBL, Tune-up game in LSGH and DLS Lipa Foundation Week) with an avg. of 20 point margin before losing by 4 points in the recent Inter-La Salle. Anyway Just letting you guys know...* *

gallery, I removed your other post since it is one-liner - bigfreeze_bibby

LION
11-22-2006, 11:45 AM
I think that La Salle Greenhills is slowly but surely catching up with the traditional NCAA juniors powerhouses San Beda, , Letran and San Sebastian.

Kailangan lang isabak sa hardcore actions ang mga taga Greenhills para tumigas pa yung laro nila. I can see that the players are talented pero kailangang batakin pa ng husto.

bigfreeze_bibby
11-22-2006, 02:51 PM
I merged boy2hog's thread to this thread since it talks about DLSU high school teams, particularly, La Salle Zobel.

Pareng LION, angat pa rin ang San Beda, PCU, or San Sebastian compared to LSGH as far as next season is concerned. The current team that the Greenies has right now is short, with Martin Reyes their tallest player at 6'2" and as evident in their MMBL stint, they are stil struggling as of the moment due to team chemistry and lack of height. Unless LSGH coaching staff can recruit other players to beef up their roster especially the ceiling players, then I guess the Greenies will be fine next year and can contend for one of those final four seats.

The departure of Salva and Fran's decision not to play for the NCAA team is taking its toll to the Greenies as it lacked the ceiling that they need to contend with the other teams. I don't know much about DLSZ's recruitment as of the moment. I hope they will also be competitive come next year's UAAP wars.

LION
11-23-2006, 09:35 AM
^^^ If it were not for the departure of Revilla, Salva and Fran, may pag asa sanang umabot ng Finals ang juniors team ninyo next season. San Beda will be a short team next year due to the graduation of Marcelo. Ganun din ang San Sebastian at PCU.

Bakit hindi ninyo paglaruin yung juniors team ninyo dun sa mga ligan sinasalihan ng Red Cubs? Kaya ganun kalakas ang Red Cubs, pinapasabak sila ni Senor Ato sa mga liga na mas matanda, mas magulang at mas malalaki ang katawan sa kanila ang mga kalaban nila.

bigfreeze_bibby
11-23-2006, 03:13 PM
^^^ If it were not for the departure of Revilla, Salva and Fran, may pag asa sanang umabot ng Finals ang juniors team ninyo next season.* San Beda will be a short team next year due to the graduation of Marcelo. Ganun din ang San Sebastian at PCU.

Bakit hindi ninyo paglaruin yung juniors team ninyo dun sa mga ligan sinasalihan ng Red Cubs? Kaya ganun kalakas ang Red Cubs, pinapasabak sila ni Senor Ato sa mga liga na mas matanda, mas magulang at mas malalaki ang katawan sa kanila ang mga kalaban nila.*

Puede din but it still depends on the coaches' and school management's call. You may also include Kiefer Ravena on that list of the faithful departed hehe.

brian
11-24-2006, 10:32 AM
atsaka dapat tanggalin na pulitika sa sports program ng greenies among other reforms kaya di masyado maka takeoff considering they have the personnel and arhletes to be successful...

dunkerslam
12-11-2006, 12:45 AM
^^^^
Eddie Viaplana came from San Agustin/Southridge. Joey Santamaria was 1 year ahead of Dickie Bachmann in San Agustin. I think BJ Afable came from LSGH, not sure though. Jonas Mariano was from LSGH but transferred to UE high to complete his secondary education. Another guy who came from LSGH pala was Arnel Guste. I think mag kabatch sila ni Binky Favis.

Let me correct you, Eddie Viaplana graduated hs at Southridge. Bj Afable is from Ateneo hs. Pare, you guys forgot ERIC REYES, JOEY GUANIO AND LEN MUMAR, JOEY LOZADA. All from LSGH. I just dont know why DLSU didnt actively recruit them? eric and len played for that school in Katipunan, Joey- UP, Joey Lozada- San Beda. But too bad Len Mumar is heavily into drugs now and is a TOTAL waste.

dunkerslam
12-11-2006, 12:51 AM

Ricky Henson was my hs basketball teammate. I was a bench warmer but enjoyed every second of being in the basketball team of LA SALLE. I'm 2 batches ahead i think. What's he doing now? Sorry, i cant reveal my identity since so many people from the other school hate me. (read my comments in the other threads). So, i'll have to be anonymous here. Great to here old names from LSGH. I miss that school

glock23
12-12-2006, 04:33 PM
^^^^

Let me correct you, Eddie Viaplana graduated hs at Southridge.* Bj Afable is from Ateneo hs.* Pare, you guys forgot ERIC REYES, JOEY GUANIO AND LEN MUMAR, JOEY LOZADA.* All from LSGH.* I just dont know why DLSU didnt actively recruit them?* *eric and len played for that school in Katipunan, Joey- UP, Joey Lozada- San Beda.* But too bad Len Mumar is heavily into drugs now and is a TOTAL waste.

hey dunkerslam, those were indeed the good old days. i remember the DLSU team would all hang out in the afable house in dasma. i know cos my ex girlfriends house is just walking distance to that house. Gee abanilla, Bj and eric afable, eddie viaplana, mike huang, the brother of tonichi yturri, mari was always there too and countless others. I believe eric reyes, joey guanio and Len tried out for dlsu but we just had a full line up so they opted to try out with others who would give them playing time right away.

dunkerslam
12-12-2006, 06:39 PM
hey dunkerslam, those were indeed the good old days. i remember the DLSU team would all hang out in the afable house in dasma. i know cos my ex girlfriends house is just walking distance to that house. Gee abanilla, Bj and eric afable, eddie viaplana, mike huang, the brother of tonichi yturri, mari was always there too and countless others. I believe eric reyes, joey guanio and Len tried out for dlsu but we just had a full line up so they opted to try out with others who would give them playing time right away.

Thanks for the info. but i'm surprised DLSU did not even scout LSGH players? They should have known who JOEY GUANIO, ERIC REYES and LEN MUMAR were? They should have been aggressively recruited. They were good players. I still see Eddie Vipalana. I dont see Mike Huang, The Afables Gee anymore. Are they still in the Philippines?

glock23
12-12-2006, 06:57 PM

Thanks for the info.* but i'm surprised DLSU did not even scout LSGH players?* They should have known who JOEY GUANIO, ERIC REYES and LEN MUMAR were?* They should have been aggressively recruited.* They were good players. I still see Eddie Vipalana.* I dont see Mike Huang, The Afables Gee anymore.* Are they still in the Philippines?

Bj i still see and eric i believe is in the states. they sold their house in dasma already. Gee abanilla is an assistant coach for red bull. im sure the coaching staff knew who those guys were but DLSU simply had too much firepower and they could have been relegated to team b. Thats whats happening now. some of our HS players are in UP and other schools because there are only 14 slots available in the seniors team. dog eat dog out there man

gallery
06-12-2007, 10:10 PM
What are the predictions for the Junior Archers in the UAAP and the Greenies in the NCAA? How far do you think will both La Salle Juniors Team go in their respective Leagues?

Gil_Andrews
06-13-2007, 11:41 AM
The Zobel team has promising David Webb, Luigi De La Paz, and Capacio. Webb is around 6-2 or 6-3 and plays Center/PF. He has a decent baby hook and is also a very good defender in the wings. If he develops to a 3, he can be a good prospect in the collegiate level.

Capacio seems to be a natural 4. He stands about the same height as Webb but he has better back to the basket and low post moves. He just has to work more on his laterals.

De La Paz is around 5'10. He is very quick. Plays like a smaller version of Jojo Duncil plus the point guard mentality.

boyscout
06-13-2007, 12:47 PM
Luigi De La Paz will need to sit it out for a year due to UAAP's rule on transferees. We wont be seeing him in action till UAAP season 71.

cl.blue.24
06-13-2007, 05:24 PM
There's a good forward/center from LSGH.. Martin Reyes, a 16 year old 6-foot-2 junior. There's still two more years left for him in high school to grow before he enters college (i hope he makes the right decision for his career ;) )

Their standing in Nike is 3rd, with 5 wins and 1 loss. Right behind FEU and Baste.

gallery
06-15-2007, 06:33 AM
Just got this from the Nike League organizers:

Nike Summer League Standing

1st place: San Sebastian Staglets (9-0)
2nd place: San Beda Red Cubs (8-1)
3rd place: Letran Squires (7-2)
4th place: Far Eastern University (6-1)

Quarter-Finalists: PCU (4-2), LSGH (5-1), DLSZ (5-1) and UST (4-2)

gallery
06-15-2007, 04:49 PM
...while in the Father Martin Juniors Division
The rankings are:

1. San Sebastian Staglets
2. De La Salle Zobel Junior Archers
3. San Beda Red Cubs
4. Letran Squires

Gil_Andrews
06-21-2007, 05:53 PM
Will Mark Franco be part of this year's varsity?

shyboy
06-21-2007, 07:17 PM
Mark Franco is not included in LSGH's NCAA lineup for this year based on what's posted in Archerpride.com.

da_rasmus
07-29-2007, 10:13 AM
Is this just for DLSU, LSGH and DLS-Z or for the entire De La Salle Philippines?

Thank's

shyboy
07-29-2007, 11:18 PM
^ For all members of De La Salle Philippines.

gallery
08-16-2007, 08:39 AM
As of August 16, 2007

UAAP Jrs. Standing

Ateneo 9-0
DLSZ 8-1
FEU 5-4
NU 5-4
ADU 4-5
UE 3-6
UP 2-7
UST 0-9

batangueño
09-29-2007, 06:35 PM
Congratulations to the De La Salle Zobel Junior Archers, 2007 UAAP Juniors' Basketball Champions! :)

LightningMan
09-29-2007, 07:18 PM
great game by the Junior Archers. down by 6 points with 1.20 left in the 4th. napa overtime pa nila. monster game by Webb, had around 16 points and 20 rebounds. you have to also admire former LSGH standout now Blue Eaglet Keifer Ravena, had 21 points ata. not bad for someone who is only in 1st year high school.

flsfnoeraekadad
10-02-2007, 12:13 AM
David Webb finished with a statline of 21-21.

gallery
10-02-2007, 10:43 AM
So who's MVP in the Junior Division?

gallery
12-13-2007, 12:45 AM
Extended Version of the Video Tribute to the 2007-2008 Junior Archers. Check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCrPaRH-f4c

Ghostrider
01-08-2008, 03:03 PM
I like Arnold Van Opstal, DLZ's 16 year old 6'7.5 center. A little raw right now, but will definitely be a force to recon with in the future.

Martin Reyes is another good one. However, unless he grows taller, he may need to diversify his game. Otherwise, he'll be a tweener in college.

Joma Adornado is quite underrated and has a high basketball IQ. Physically and athletically not that gifted but has a deceptive extra gear, a change of pace which will leave his defender flat footed.

After seeing his legendary father in UST jerseys, kind of disconcerting to see an Adornado in a La Salle jersey.

glock23
01-09-2008, 12:50 PM
looks like we were both in the NBTC tryouts last sunday ghostrider. I noticed the same players that you mentioned plus the guy from TIP. ;)

Ghostrider
01-10-2008, 02:16 PM
looks like we were both in the NBTC tryouts last sunday ghostrider. I noticed the same players that you mentioned plus the guy from TIP.* ;)

Yes, we both were.

Next time we should both watch and exchange notes. Tutal, pang national team naman ito and whatever "prospects" we see there are out in the open and known to the Coaching communities anyway.

I wanted to see the Monachini kid sana or other touted fil-ams in the newspapers. Kaso, wala namang dumating ::)

glock23
01-10-2008, 08:00 PM
^for sure coach eric will let me know when the next tryouts will be. :) actually, marami pa talagang nakatago pa. see you there man!

bigfreeze_bibby
03-03-2008, 04:28 PM
Coach Boris Aldeguer has resigned as DLSZ's high school basketball coach. With this development, what do you think will be the impact for the coaching change on the Junior Archers' campaign this season 71?

batangueño
03-03-2008, 07:52 PM
To Coach Boris Aldeguer: Thank you for sharing your expertise with the DLSZ team. I wish you the best of luck in your present and future endeavors. God bless you always, Coach Boris. :)

03-04-2008, 06:17 AM
Boris will be a tough act to follow. 2 consecutive Championships, the latter against perennial winner Ateneo -- whoever succeeds him will have an unenviable task.....

oca
03-04-2008, 08:21 AM
Anytime a winning team would have a new coach, it always put into question if their winning ways will continue. Maraming factors yan. Maraming variables.

The players, young as they are, get easily attached to good coaches. Nariyan yung ituring na kuya or father figure and kanilang coach. How they will handle the loss of that figure is always a concern.

Madaling tugunan ang Xs and Os ng coaching. Kahit akong miron can do that. Pero yung kalooban ng mga mga bata, saloobin nila, who would be in a position to address that. More so if the circumstances for that resignation is not clear to the kids.

Pero ang crucial dito is if the new coach will not fill that vacuum of a kuya or father figure. Kahit gaano kagaling yan sa technical aspect ng laro, the kids will not respond.

Regardless if maraming carryover from last season's lineup, the kids must must be on the same page as their new coach. Yun ang hamon.

boyscout
03-04-2008, 05:02 PM
Congrats Coach Boris on your new career in the PBA.* Thank you for the 2 championships you gave La Salle in the Juniors Division! Its sad to see a dedicated coach go but its all good knowing he'll be joining past DLSZ coaches (Jong Uichico, Perry Ronquilo, Juno Sauler) who moved on to the PBA after their stint in juniors basketball.

I believe whoever will be the new coach will still inherit a strong team. The bulk of the holdovers are in 2nd year high school so its just a matter of gelling them together before the start of S71 for them to have a shot at the final four and maybe another finals appearance.*

bigfreeze_bibby
03-04-2008, 06:57 PM
I would like to add the discussion here regarding the coaching change in LSGH wherein coach Hubert Delos Santos will handle the Junior Blazers (or Greenies) in this coming NCAA season 84. What will be his impact and what can he bring into the table to turn the fortunes of LSGH around this season? Alam natin na madami ding controversies in the past na pinagdaanan ang LSGH HS basketball team with the exodus of some of their good players like Salva and Revilla.

stonecold316
03-14-2008, 05:36 PM
^^^^

Wow. thanks for the information. Naglaro pala si Binky sa DLSU. Nung nag-college ako sa USTe in 1994, Favis was the head coach of the UST Tiger Cubs. Isa sa mga naging players niya eh si Gerard Francisco.

stonecold316

bigfreeze_bibby
03-15-2008, 08:31 AM
If I can recall it right, maganda track record ni coach Binky sa USTHS.

nastrans
04-17-2008, 03:17 PM
Greenhills beat Zobel, 71-70, in the Nike Summer League earlier today.

Joescoundrel
04-18-2008, 12:00 AM
^

I may have just seen the best game of the entire Nike Summer League thus far this afternoon: Lasalle Greenhills beat defending UAAP champion Lasalle Zobel 71-70 on a shotclock-beating three-pointer from guard Mikey Reyes. It was a very very exciting game all throughout with both teams putting together runs and spurts and constant rallies and lead changes and shifts in momentum.

Mick Franco led the victors with 21 points while Gwyne Capacio led the other side with 21 points himself.

My personal best player of the game was Martin Reyes of LSGH who controlled the boards, defended all over the place, held the inside and passed very well from the post. I've never seen a kid with that kind of natural instincts and court intelligence in a long while. A lot of kids that age rely on 90% athletic ability. Reyes is an above-average to superior athlete with good length and overall size AND possesses incredible recognition. If he ever develops consistent shooting from the 18-foot range and picks up his handles he could stop growing now and be the next Larry Fonacier.

nel
04-18-2008, 09:44 AM
joescoundrel, thanks for your account of the game. wish i could have been there.

for those who have watched an lsgh-dlsz game, do you remember if each team sings the alma mater song separately, or do both teams just do it together?

Sam Miguel
04-18-2008, 10:21 AM
^ Nel, they did not sing at all after the Nike game, although that may have something to do with the fact that games come right on each other's heels.

Speaking of Zobel, Gwyne Capacio and Aiki Herrera are the best frontline combination in the high school game. They are not only tall and long they are also solidly built especially Herrera. Herrera almost sent this game into overtime but missed a lay-up and then buckled on high-pressure freethrows. Capacio is probably the best pure low post operator in high school and knows how to position himself very well inside.

They will however face quite a test against the trio of Agovida, Vayas and Butacan of JRU who are all in the same Nike group. These three are not broad of shoulder and meaty of limbs like Capacio and Herrera but they are better jumpers and runners especially Keith Agovida, typical lean street ball types who can jump out of the gym, and I think height-wise they are right there with the Bengals bigs.

nastrans
04-18-2008, 10:46 AM
None. There was no singing of alma matter whatsoever but the game was tightly fought.

Franco was doing well from the outside, he hit like four three-pointers while on the other end I think Capacio is poise to have a better year for the Junior Archers come the UAAP wars.

While Reyes had a bad offensive game (he still should work on his footwork a little bit), yes he did make up for it on defense.

nastrans
04-18-2008, 10:50 AM
Greenhills upset Zobel in all-La Salle tiff
by Jonas Terrado

La Salle Greenhills hit the key shots and made the big breaks in the homestretch to beat sister school De La Salle Santiago Zobel via a hairline 71-70 win in an afternoon tussle at the 2008 Nike Summer League juniors' basketball tournament at the FEU gym in Manila last April 17.

Point guard Mikee Reyes put LSGH ahead for good on a desperation three-pointer with the shot clock winding down while finding some lady luck in the end as Aiki Herrera missed his first free throw with no time left to produce the upset.

Mark Franco led the Greenies with 19 points on 4-for-5 from beyond the arc along with seven assists while Reyes and Joma Adornado each had 13 markers.

"Masaya din na manalo against our sister school," said LSGH head coach Hubert delos Santos. "Siyempre pride din iyan, gusto namin pakita na mas magaling kami sa kanila."

Despite holding the lead for most of the three quarters, the Greenies, also known as the Junior Blazers in the NCAA, took the lead with 1:26 in the ballgame as 19 hit an open three from the left side to grab a 68-67 edge.

DLSZ answered with a basket by Herrera, 21 ticks later, but it was Reyes who came through with the go-ahead shot. After nearly turning the ball over by himself, he sank a difficult right-handed shot from the left elbow with five seconds on the shot clock for a 71-69 mark, 42.5 seconds to go.

Zobel had a last chance to send the game in overtime as Herrera was fouled by Jio Heneres on the baseline with no time left but missed his first charity to seal the Mandaluyong-based squad's victory.

The Junior Archers were led by Gwynne Capacio’s 22 points, four rebounds, and two assists with Luigi dela Paz hitting 17 points, seven rebounds, and four assists in their NSL debut.

La Salle Greenhills made a strong start with a 22-11 first quarter advantage and led 36-31 at intermission on a three-point buzzer-beater by Franco. Zobel, though, grabbed a short 46-43 lead on a basket by Capacio but Jasper Tanhueco hit a three as time expired to hand the Greenies a slim 57-56 edge entering the final period.

Nico Elorde, grandson of boxing legend Gabriel, capped off DLSZ's biggest lead, 67-61, on a three-point play with 3:18 remaining.

Two other games in the afternoon where also played as Informatics bombed Tiong Lian Basketball Tournament finalist Chiang Kai Shek College, 87-55, while the Letran Squires beat University of the East, 71-46.

A mix of women's and juniors' clashes are set tomorrow with UAAP champion Ateneo de Manila meeting Polytechnic University of the Philippines, NSL runners-up PCCr taking on San Beda College-Alabang and WNCAA titlist Lyceum of the Philippines University battling University of the East in the distaff side.

The juniors tilt will see National University and De La Salle Lipa, University of Santo Tomas High School tackling Don Bosco Technical College, FEU-FERN battling San Beda College-Alabang, and University of Perpetual Help System Dalta in an affair with St Stephen High School

http://www.nikebasketball.com.ph/nsl2007/nike/news_read.php?id=96&class=daily

boyscout
04-18-2008, 07:08 PM
DLSZ is still in an adjustment period due to the departure of Coach Boris. The good news though is that Capacio, Elorde, Dela Paz and Herrera are still 2 years away from graduating. They will be incoming third year students next school year so two more UAAP appearances. Enough time to hone their skills for college play.

If im not mistaken, the team for next season has only 3 or 4 incoming senior players with the bulk coming from the lower batches.

Global Greenie
05-24-2008, 10:53 AM
Greenies steal win, quarters seat from Bombers
by Reuben Ezra Terrado

La Salle-Greenhills climbed back from a nine-point deficit in the final two minutes of regulation to beat Jose Rizal University in overtime, 88-81, in Wednesday night’s playoff game for a quarterfinal seat in the 2008 Nike Summer League juniors division at the Far Eastern University gym.

The Greenies build an 11-2 run in regulation to force overtime. From there, the momentum carried on to clinch the win and, more importantly, a trip to the quarterfinals.

“This is a big win for us. I hope we can carry on with this win in the quarterfinals,” said La Salle-Greenhills coach Hubert Delos Santos.

Center Martin Reyes lorded it over in the paint scoring 26 points and grabbing 21 rebounds while guard Mark Franco had 15 points including a shot clock beating deuce and steal in overtime to seal win for the Greenies, who came back even without floor leader Mikee Reyes due to his fifth foul in the fourth quarter.

Keith Jasper Agovida had a game-high 35 points for the Light Bombers but scored a quiet six points in overtime in a disappointing loss.

The Light Bombers looked headed for a win with a 72-63 lead with 1:41 left in regulation until the Greenies employed a fullcourt defense that worked wonders for them.

Franco sinked two free throws, Jio Heneres scored a deuce then Martin Reyes scored a three-point play—all of them thanks to JRU’s turnovers—as the Greenies came to within two, 72-70, with 53.2 ticks left.

Louie Vigil sank two free throws then Vergara split his for a 74-71 count. But the Greenies got the possession back when they forced a jumpball with possession arrow pointing in their favor with 18 seconds on the clock.

Martin Reyes drew a foul on the ensuing possession but missed his second free throw. Fortunately, Patrick Vergara grabbed the offensive rebound and nailed the putback with 11.1 ticks left to tie the game up.

Vigil committed a turnover on the next possession for JRU as Franco missed a desperation three to send the game into overtime.

La Salle-Greenhills was unperturbed by a two-hand dunk by Agovida to start overtime as it had an 82-79 advantage on a short stab by Reyes with 1:45 on the clock.

Vigil scored a layup afterwards but that was the last time the Light Bombers scored.

With the Greenies clinging to a one-point lead with two seconds on the shotclock, Franco nailed a crucial jumper at the buzzer with 37 seconds left in overtime, then stole the ball on the next possession to melt the clock away.

The Greenies, Light Bombers and De La Salle-Zobel were tied at the end of the eliminations with a 5-1 record in Group A but the Junior Archers advanced due to a superior quotient setting up the playoff game.

more ...

Get_Blazed
06-24-2008, 01:21 PM
Since the opening of this new sub-forum for the CSB Blazers, The Burning Legion (http://www.gameface.ph/forums/index.php?board=60.0).

Here we likewise opened a new thread for our junior counterparts, the LSGH Greenies.

Pls use this thread for discussions and news on the Greenies: http://www.gameface.ph/forums/index.php?topic=3037.0

bigfreeze_bibby
06-24-2008, 02:53 PM
Guys, I will now close this thread and will start a thread for the DLSZ Junior Archers. Please post all discussions on the LSGH Greenies at the thread posted by Get_Blazed at the Burning Legion sub-forum.