PDA

View Full Version : Latest On-line News

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

Richard
04-09-2010, 02:58 PM
PBL relaxes age limit, then looks South
04/09/2010

Source: http://www.tribuneonline.org/sports/20100409spo6.html

The Philippine Basketball League (PBL) will relax its age requirement slightly in order to add spice and excitement for its second conference slated late this month.

Under the new scheme, each team will be allowed to field a maximum of three players between 26 and 28 years old since these players still have the capabilities to provide stability and leadership to most of the young teams in the league.

“Since most of our teams in the league right now are still young, they need someone who can guide their rookie players,” said PBL officer-in-charge Butch Maniego. “Besides, these players are still at the prime.”

These players may either be ex-pros from the PBA and ABL, or veterans of the PBL itself, Liga or other local leagues who have not previously applied for drafting.

“For ex-pros, this is their second chance, so I’m sure they will come back to play for any PBL team,” added Maniego.

They only to submit their names for drafting on or before April 12, by faxing a letter to the PBL office at tel. no. 533-3556 or by e-mailing applications to 2010pblveterans@gmail.com.

Pro league practice players who are allowed by their PBA teams to rejoin the PBL this conference will also be encouraged.

"I believe this league will be going strong once again because players from different leagues like ABL, PBL before or Liga given another second chance to prove to them what they have what it takes to step up in the PBL"

Sam Miguel
04-12-2010, 10:57 AM
I only hope the PBL does indeed stay on, it's already an institution, and relaxing rules in times of financial crisis can help in this regard. I'd like to see the same eight teams, although there seems to be only four teams at present according to Butch Maniego. Perhaps if they invite two or three provincial teams and get them into the league. There are several players seeing action in the summer street liga circuit all over Quezon City and Antipolo who could be serviceable for the PBL. Chris Santos, Soc Rivera, Julius Laurel, Galen Cacha, King Go, Richmond Sibal, Jun Tanuan and a bunch of other pretty good players are all playing the street liga circuit at present.

coreytaylor
04-29-2010, 06:19 AM
PBL-Liga joint venture slated
By Jasmine W. Payo, Philippine Daily Inquirer
http://sports.inquirer.net/sport/basketball/view/20100429-267037/PBL-Liga-joint-venture-slated

MANILA, Philippines—A new tournament set in June will launch the attempt of the Philippine Basketball League (PBL) and Liga Pilipinas to unify the two amateur cage bodies.

The two struggling leagues signed a Memorandum of Agreement Wednesday for a two-year pact that also had the blessing of the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA).

“We’ve all taken an active part in working out the differences that hindered all previous talks,” said PBL executive director Butch Maniego. “How many teams will play, I think that’s our basic starting point.”

The PBA had been pushing for the joint venture that will eventually serve as the backbone of the pro league’s development league project patterned after the NBA’s D-League.

But PBA chair Lito Alvarez, who signed the agreement as a witness, said the pro league will keep its hands off in the inaugural tournament slated on June 5.

“For the time being, we’re not involved yet, this is just between those two leagues,” said Alvarez.

PBL chair Ding Camua of Pascual Laboratories and San Miguel Corporation’s Robert Non signed the agreement with Liga president Noli Eala.

Sam Miguel
04-29-2010, 09:41 AM
^^^ The timing of that tournament sucks.

If they open on June 5 they will definitely run smack into the UAAP, NCAA, NAASCU and even Fr Martin Division II tournaments. Who on earth will they then be looking to "develop" here, 30-something has-beens who couldn't latch onto a PBA job when they were 25? What could you possibly still develop skill-wise or game-wise in a player who is already 25 or older anyway?

Sam Miguel
05-06-2010, 08:11 AM
From Inquirer - - -

PBL-Liga merger slates rookie draft
By Jasmine W. Payo

MANILA, Philippines—New talents for a new league.

A rookie draft has been set for the inaugural Philippine Basketball Developmental League, the joint venture between the Philippine Basketball League (PBL) and Liga Pilipinas which is slated to get going on June 5.

But PBL executive director Butch Maniego said the Rookie Draft set on May 15 is open only to players born from 1981 onward.

Applicants also must have not seen action in the PBL or Liga Pilipinas.

“We’ll remain as an amateur league,” said Maniego of the two-year joint venture that will serve as the blueprint for the Philippine Basketball Association’s (PBA) development league project patterned after the NBA’s D-League.

Filipino players with foreign lineage must also show proof of their roots up to the third degree of consanguinity and acquire a Filipino passport.

Application forms may be sent through e-mail at wordcomet@yahoo.com, b_antonio427@yahoo.com or pdreyes827@yahoo.com. Deadline is on May 12.

Sam Miguel
05-06-2010, 08:15 AM
^^^ Hmm... I wonder what this is all about now? If 1981 is the cutoff year, then that means we won't be seeing any 30-something players this time around, which makes sense since the new PBDL will lean toward development of amateur players into PBA-ready players.

However I am a little confused as to what they mean by "must have not seen action" in the PBL or Liga. What about players released or waived already by their Liga or PBL teams for whatever reason and were born in 1981 or later, will they not be admitted into the new PBDL?

6h12is
05-06-2010, 09:17 PM
hi i was just wondering where i can get an application form for the upcoming PBDL rookie draft

Sam Miguel
05-07-2010, 09:22 AM
^^^ Just make your own applicaiton letter, indicate your age, date of birth, citizenship, and your height and weight, then e-mail to the addresses above in MS Word file.

6h12is
05-07-2010, 10:36 AM
Ok thank you for your help. One last question hehehe where will the venue be and at what time
Thanks again!!

Sam Miguel
05-07-2010, 02:35 PM
^^^ No venue or time set just yet for the draft, but I'm pretty sure it will be in the immediate area of Pioneer street in Mandaluyong, probably inside the Robinson mall there at the corner of Pioneer and EDSA. Just stay tuned here.

6h12is
05-07-2010, 06:36 PM
ok thank you once again

6h12is
05-12-2010, 07:40 AM
Hello once again any news yet on where the PBDL draft will be held and at what time?

Thanks

Joescoundrel
05-22-2010, 03:21 PM
^ The PBL will now be officially called the PBDL, as in Philippine Basketball Development League, under the auspices of the PBA, similar to the NBA-NBDL arrangement. There was supposedly a draft held last May 15, where players who applied online via the e-mail addresses above took part. I think only 14 or 15 players were taken in two drafting rounds, most of them Filipinos of some mixed provenance. Those who were unable to join this draft may try out with the teams directly.

I recall the teams still involved on the PBL end are Pharex and Cobra, from Liga Pilipinas there is Laguna and Gen San. There are at least two more teams whose names I cannot recall at present. The school-based teams like recent champion Excel Roof and Add Mix are not participating this time as their players are of course busy preparing for the regular college season.

The PBDL is the initial attempt to merge PBL and Liga with the PBA as go-between.

You really ought to e-mail the PBDL directly (wordcomet@yahoo.com, address to Butch Maniego) to get the details you need. Opening Day is set for June 5 2010, I think at the Arena in San Juan.

Sam Miguel
06-09-2010, 10:42 AM
From our friends in Inquirer Sports ...

Maiden PBL-Liga caging on; 4 squads plunge into action

By Cedelf P. Tupas
Philippine Daily Inquirer

MANILA, Philippines—Philippine basketball marks another chapter on Wednesday with the kickoff of the first leg of the Tournament of the Philippines, the first joint venture of the Philippine Basketball League and Liga Pilipinas, at the Ninoy Aquino Stadium in Manila.

Ascof-Lagundi, one of three PBL teams in the nine-team tournament, faces Liga’s Trace Laguna Stallions in the curtain-raiser at 1:30 p.m., before Ani-FCA clashes with reigning Liga champion ML Kwarta Padala-Cebu Niños.

A short opening ceremony will precede the first game with Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas president Manny V. Pangilinan leading the guest list.

“This is one of the best things that will happen to Philippine basketball,” SBP executive director Noli Eala, who is also CEO of the Liga, said in Tuesday’s PSA Forum at Shakey’s UN Avenue branch in Manila.

“We came together in the interest of basketball. We are looking forward to tremendous competition.”

Eala also told the public sports program sponsored by Shakey’s, Pagcor, Accel and Outlast Battery that only four teams are seeing action in the kickoff leg, which will have a single-round format. The top two teams dispute the crown on Saturday.