PDA

View Full Version : KNights in the Off-Season - CCL, Fr.Martin, PBL...

Pages : [1] 2

ESCALERA JR.
10-12-2006, 09:27 PM
All is quiet in the Knights homefront after the NCAA, meanwhile pocket tournaments will keep the LetranTeam of Louie Alas busy harnessing whatever talents are left on their disposal. Team B layers will have the chance to showcase their wares for a possible shot on the regular roster.

As of this writing, the Knights are still in the thick of the fight in the ongoing Champions League.

Other tournaments like the Fr. Martin Cup & most notably the PBL II conference will keep the Letran 5 running like a well-oiled machine just in time for Season 83 which is approximately 8 months from now.

Fellow letranites, keep our forum Alive, hwag tayong tutulog-tulog. Arriba !!! 8)

LION
10-13-2006, 08:08 AM
May balita na ba kung sino sino ang players na maaring makuha sa team next season?

ESCALERA JR.
10-13-2006, 04:41 PM
SECRET!!! ;)...di pwedeng sabihin

Kaibigang LION, kamusta na ang Celebration ninyo? May hang-over pa ba? Nalasing ba si Ginoong WangBu.

Masarap ang feeling ng Champion noh, parang isang malaking reunion lagi sa loob ng Araneta.

Im back to work again from a month long vacation, but quite dissappointed. Akala ko dederecho letran para Lions-Knights finals pero kinapus kami. Sayang lang pamasahe hehehe.

I hope the Knights could start re-grouping to match the Lions onslaught in the coming 2-3 years. Back-to-back, baka nga mag 3peat pa kayo. Good luck na lang and see you all again next season. 8)

Ayos lang, enjoyed watching basketball

LION
10-18-2006, 09:37 AM
Escalera, hindi pa namin naimbitahan si Wang-bu dahil naging busy kami sa trabaho. Soon we will organize something for him. :)

joelex
10-21-2006, 02:43 PM
nasa toyota pa din ba sila aldave at alacaraz? at si joe devance?

ESCALERA JR.
11-01-2006, 04:52 PM
Sumombra naman yata TAHIMIK ng Letran Knights. ???

Pati ba naman TOYOTA-OTIS wala pa rin INGAY?

Meron pa ba tayong team sa PBL. Balita naman mga bro!!!

arriba95
11-02-2006, 12:20 PM
team arriba letran will be participating in the Homegrown Cup. check out the Homegrown Cup forum for more details.

"for the strength of the team is the knight and the strength of the knight is the team"

toti_mendiola
11-02-2006, 01:23 PM
nasa toyota pa din ba sila aldave at alacaraz? at si joe devance?

Joe Devance flew back in the U.S. when his documentation papers needed in his application to turn pro wasnt complete. No signs of him coming back. we might be seeing Aldave and Alcaraz suit up for toyota.

ESCALERA JR.
11-04-2006, 10:35 AM
HOW will the Letran KNIGHTS fare against De LaSalle GREEN ARCHERS today.

Who will now take on the cudgels ngayon wala na sina Boyet and Aaron? The burden of carrying the team are now in the shoulders of longtime relievers RJ Jazul, Balneg, Hafer Mondragon. Not a pretty sight if you ask me.

Former Squires Greene and Tagarda should pick up from their tandem during their Jrs. stint. Maganda naman combination sila nun, na-disqualify lang

Goodluck Knights!

Arriba!

bugleboy
11-04-2006, 09:27 PM
HOW will the Letran KNIGHTS fare against De LaSalle GREEN ARCHERS today.

Who will now take on the cudgels ngayon wala na sina Boyet and Aaron?* The burden of carrying the team are now in the shoulders of longtime relievers RJ Jazul, Balneg, Hafer Mondragon. Not a pretty sight if you ask me.

Former Squires Greene and Tagarda should pick up from their tandem during their Jrs. stint. Maganda naman combination sila nun, na-disqualify lang

Goodluck Knights!

Arriba!

escalera jr.,

just came back from the philsports arena (ultra to the oldies among us). you'll be glad to know that our letran knights (sans boyet bautista, aaron aban, hafer mondragon, and michael realista) gave the new-look dlsu green archers a great scare before succumbing in overtime, 78 - 71. assistant coach mel alas coached for letran, with big brother and head coach louie scribbling notes in the background.

our guards -- jazul, del rosario, dangcal and melegrito -- were able to direct plays well and put in much-needed points. i was most impressed with del rosario and melegrito, as these two rarely saw action during the regular ncaa season, but fearlessly slashed in for lay-ups in this game. no fear there, despite the much-ballyhooed towers of dlsu (batricevic, maierhofer and ex-squire walsham).

also giving quality performances were mark balneg, mico quinday, bryan faundo, dino daa, and rey guevarra. virtually everybody who was fielded in contributed, including regin renises, john foronda and new guy cabonce. our much shorter guys were able to outrebound the archers in the early goings, resulting in a ten-point bulge midway in the third quarter. it helped, however, that t.y. t@ng and ex-squire o.j. cua just could not get their game going and consistently threw bricks.

the archers, however, were able to catch up because of timely treys from casio and new boys simon atkins and badeer malabes, as well as free throws from p.j. barua and casio. we were in foul trouble in virtually all quarters of the ball game, and we paid dearly for this.

truth be told, we had the winning shot in our hands, after our boys recovered from a botched la salle play, around 20 seconds left in regulation. but jazul lost the handle at the end line and gave the ball back to la salle with around 1 second to play.

still and all, i am glad with how our boys performed. la salle came in with its team A, the team that should have played in the UAAP were it not for the suspension. they had a full crowd, with drums, cheerleaders, students, and old guys wearing gang green t-shirts. their players were wearing spitting new uniforms.

letran, on the other hand, had no cheerleaders, no drums, and only about 10 supporters (including me and my son). several of our team b members were wearing their training uniforms. cabonce even had white masking tape across his original number -- 16 -- to make it appear like 46. laugh trip talaga.

despite this, our guys gave up no inch to these spic-and-span archers. they fought the good fight to the last.

in the end, after the dlsu crowd sang their alma mater song, i thought that there would be no "alma mater letran." but fortunately for us, one of the alumni who was watching, barbie atienza (gs'72, hs'76, coll'80 and manila bulletin vp) grabbed the microphone and led in the singing. all the players, plus the ten students and alumni who were in the audience sang with gusto, with the la salle crowd clapping in appreciation.

i wish there had been more alumni and students. i wish the letran cheering squad had been there. but then, i am gratified that even with this apparent lack of support, the letran knights still put up a gallant stand. basta, laro lang ng laro.

i wish that next time, more letranites would pay more attention to this team. even without boyet, aaron, hafer, and mike, this team has shown that its remaining members deserve to carry the letran name on their chests.

arriba!

p.s. - several of these players came from letran high school and played as squires -- jazul, balneg, melegrito, dangcal, and del rosario. homegrown talaga!

oca
11-05-2006, 12:14 PM
Sayang yung pagkatalo niyo.

Up by ten points midway in the 4th quarter, had Jazul been wiser in calling the plays on two possessions and stretch the lead, it would have taken the fight out of the Archers. Then, in your last possession, score tied, Jazul drove but decided to pass at the last moment ! Just as everyone thought he would take the shot himself. Sayang yun.

But this is the kind of game that makes players learn and play right.

From what I saw yesterday, inspite of the departure of Aban and Bautista, this a better offensive team. Every player is obliged to contribute now. That makes the Knights a less predictable team in offense, w/c to my opinion, makes them more difficult to defend against.

Yung depensa ay hindi nagbago. Matigas at mabilis, is how I would describe it.

Malinaw, ngayon pa lang, contender pa rin ang Letran sa Season 83.

mighty_lion
11-05-2006, 07:56 PM
I was praying all the time for Letran to beat La Salle, but then at the end of fourth at nag-ovetime alam ko na La Salle ang mananalo. Letran showed La Salle a scare by leading them all the way to the fourth, nakahabol nga lang yong La Salle after they connected with long range shots. As time would passes by, Letran system of basketball has always been excellent with or without star players along-side. Sayang it would have been a good story of Knights winning without Bautista and Aban. Tama si Oca, after loosing Bautista and Aban, its harder to predict who will score for the Knights.

Bakit pala wala si Louie Alas?

ESCALERA JR.
11-05-2006, 08:43 PM
thanks bugleboy for the play by play details...how i wish i was there too and give support to our team...nadagdagan pa sana tayo ng isa dun. (make that 11)

Without our 2 main gunners, understandbly nawalan ng gana ang ating gallery, alam kasi nila na puro depensa na lang ang natira, thus giving little hope for the current team. But with the way you described the game here, mukhang meron pa rin ibubuga next season, kulang lang kasi tayo sa "tirador" in the mold of Ronjay or Aldave.

The "D" is already there, a signature of coach Alas. Just a couple of steady shooters and a 'big man', i mean bigger man than the present centers (faundo and foronda). Hope we can recruit one impact playersr in our team during the off season.

yeah, dear old Barbie...di naten matatawaran ang pagka dugong arriba niyan...a batchate of mine, actually.

arriba :)

mighty_lion
11-06-2006, 11:05 AM
kulang lang kasi tayo sa "tirador" in the mold of Ronjay or Aldave.

Balneg ;D

LION
11-06-2006, 11:18 AM
Mark Balneg is now the main man for the Knights.

He can play a good D and can hit those 3 pointers. However, parang yun lang yung nakikita kong offensive weapon niya. If he can approximate the offensive skills of Aaron Aban, malayo ang mararating ng taong ito.

He needs to practice his inside game and medium range jumpers. Hindi pwedeng puro tres lang ang mga tira niya. Pero sa 3 years na natitirand eligibility niya, siguradong mas gagaling pa yan in the next 2 years.

ESCALERA JR.
11-06-2006, 04:25 PM
Mark Balneg...may tira yan sa labas at 'tira' din sa bantay niya. ;D
I think he only has a year left for the Knights.

It was fun watching Balneg hounding Escobal all over the court while whispering sweet nothings. To his credit, it was pure honest to goodness "D". And he does that to all the opposing team's main gunners he's assigned to guard. I also give credit to Pong for not losing his touch and staying 'cool' througout the ordeal.

LION
11-06-2006, 04:52 PM
Mark Balneg...may tira yan sa labas at 'tira' din sa bantay niya. ;D

It was fun watching Balneg hounding Escobal all over the court while whispering sweet nothings. To his credit, it* was pure honest to goodness "D".* And he does that to all the opposing team's main gunners he's assigned to guard.* I also give credit to Pong for not losing his touch and staying 'cool' througout the ordeal.*

Bwahahaha. Nadale mo padre. Actually, Pong had to stay cool kasi nakakatakot talaga si Balneg. And you are right, it was an ordeal. ;D

Actually, magandang training kay Pong yung ginawa ni Balneg. He made Pong tougher. Pag pumasa ka kay Balneg, kayang kaya mo na yung iba. :)

danny
11-11-2006, 03:49 AM
Mark Balneg...may tira yan sa labas at 'tira' din sa bantay niya.* ;D

It was fun watching Balneg hounding Escobal all over the court while whispering sweet nothings. To his credit, it* was pure honest to goodness "D".* And he does that to all the opposing team's main gunners he's assigned to guard.* I also give credit to Pong for not losing his touch and staying 'cool' througout the ordeal.*

Bwahahaha.* Nadale mo padre. Actually, Pong had to stay cool kasi nakakatakot talaga si Balneg. And you are right, it was an ordeal.* *;D

Actually, magandang training kay Pong yung ginawa ni Balneg.* He made Pong tougher. Pag pumasa ka kay Balneg, kayang kaya mo na yung iba.* *:)

nyahahahaha...

Hey Escalera, what are the Knights brewing down the hallowed halls of Intramuros? Any recruitment news?

nash_bedista
11-11-2006, 11:50 AM
for me, Next Aaron aban yung Guevarra. Magaling siya matangkad, may shooting, penetration at mataas tumalon. Siya para sakin ang NEXT KING KNIGHT ng Letran. Konting Hasa pa cgurado ito ang magdadala next season!

ESCALERA JR.
11-11-2006, 05:33 PM
Mark Balneg...may tira yan sa labas at 'tira' din sa bantay niya.* ;D

Bwahahaha.* Nadale mo padre. Actually, Pong had to stay cool kasi nakakatakot talaga si Balneg. And you are right, it was an ordeal.* *;D

Actually, magandang training kay Pong yung ginawa ni Balneg.* He made Pong tougher. Pag pumasa ka kay Balneg, kayang kaya mo na yung iba.* *:)

nyahahahaha...

Hey Escalera, what are the Knights brewing down the hallowed halls of Intramuros?* Any recruitment news?

Secret toh ha...atin-atin lng.

We have a team B player serving out his residency waiting in the wings. From the buzz in the letran camp, he could be the next big thing after the exit the former stars of coach Alas. Knowing the coach'discreet style, he's slowly molding this guy from obscurity to star potential. Hanggang doon lang muna ako baka kasi ma-usog pa.

But your RL would still be a tough nut to crack. Give our team at least2yrs to be competetive once more.

LION
11-12-2006, 02:08 PM
After 2 years, Sam Ekwe, Pong Escobal and Aljamal will no longer be in Red Lions uniforms. Medyo level na ulit ang playing fied by that time.

mighty_lion
11-12-2006, 05:17 PM
After 2 years, Sam Ekwe, Pong Escobal and Aljamal will no longer be in Red Lions uniforms. Medyo level na ulit ang playing fied by that time.

Thats far more scary though because it will be the time hermida, menor, tecson, gamalinda, taganas, marcelo, padilla and lanete's time to shine after Sam, Pong & Aljamal. Thats just the homegrown and exludes outside recruits on the current pool and there are still to come.

Going back to Balneg, i think he is molded by Knights as primary defensive stopper for scoring guards of opposing teams. defensive stopper in hounding physical and psychological toughness of opposite players. Honestly its still part of the game. In the game of basketball, what is not seen and seen but uncalled for by refs are legal. At times there are players whose role is just to mess up the plays of star players. Remembered one during finals between DLSU and FEU, theres one guy from FEU whose role is just to destroy the game of cardona in every aspect. So guys, ff you have to match up with Balneg, you got to have plenty of physicall and mental toughness in your pocket. ;D

ESCALERA JR.
11-12-2006, 07:46 PM
I guess most of you guys (& the hordes of bedans who watched the 2nd rd. game between SBC-Letran), love to hate him (Balneg). In our case, he's one precious gem, one whom u would love to have in your team. As a defensive stopper, he fits the role to a T. Just by looking at hm is already intimidating.

Your RL team though, proved steadier down the stretch... i would even say our team choked in the end game as the RL gave us a doze of our own medicine. Yes, we got the defensive skills...however the RL have the Offensive threat as well as the D to go with it.

mighty_lion
11-12-2006, 09:11 PM
I guess most of you guys (& the hordes of bedans who watched the 2nd rd. game between* SBC-Letran), love to hate him (Balneg).* In our case, he's one precious gem, one whom u would love to have in your team. As a defensive stopper, he fits the role to a T.* Just by looking at hm is already intimidating.

Your RL team though, proved steadier down the stretch... i would even say our team choked in the end game as the RL gave us a doze of our own medicine. Yes, we got the defensive skills...however the RL have the Offensive threat as well as the D to go with it.

There is nothing wrong with it. At the end of the day its just basketball we fanatics loves to watch-out for. ;D

LION
11-13-2006, 08:25 AM
I guess most of you guys (& the hordes of bedans who watched the 2nd rd. game between* SBC-Letran), love to hate him (Balneg).* In our case, he's one precious gem, one whom u would love to have in your team. As a defensive stopper, he fits the role to a T.* Just by looking at hm is already intimidating.

There is nothing wrong with it. At the end of the day its just basketball we fanatics loves to watch-out for.* ;D

Yes, we hate him only when he is playing against us. ;D

But I love him when he plays against the UAAP teams. Para matikman nila yung natikman namin sa inyo hehehe.

letranense1620
11-17-2006, 09:28 AM
Any updates on Filoil Cup?

person
11-17-2006, 09:15 PM
who won the letran-ssc game???

letranense1620
11-26-2006, 07:46 PM
^ Letran won.

Update: 11/26/06

Letran 74 UP 45

We're now 2-1 and tied with JRU.

bugleboy
12-04-2006, 06:49 AM
^well, we're now at 2 - 2, after we lost yesterday to a san beda team composed mostly of team b players.

i really thought we had their number after we went up by double digits for most of the game. but spotty defense in the final quarter, two boneheaded errors by dangcal and a missed layup by guevarra in the final second let the red lions escape with a come-from-behind one-point win.

i never thought i'd say this, but the knights sorely missed faundo in this ball game. he was in street clothes and didn't play yesterday.

foronda played and had some bright moments, but his butter fingers and missed free throws didn't help. san beda exploited the relatively short letran quintet by fielding in galinato, sarangay, taupa, and espinosa. sbc's camus played well, putting in the go-ahead basket with seconds to go.

for the letran side, quinday, jazul, melegrito, and del rosario played well. guevarra too, except for that botched last-second attempt. we put in some new faces yesterday -- reposar, gutilban, and latonio (from the squires) -- but no one among them was particularly impressive.

all in all, a worthy effort. but we really should have won this game. sayang.

oca
12-04-2006, 09:53 AM
I saw both of Letran's games vs DLSU and San Beda. From these two losses what was evident was poor execution at end game.

In this San Beda game, those 2 errors by Dangcal, as mentioned by bugleboy, were both UNFORCED. But still even after those errors Letran was still in aposition to win.

Three seconds to make one baseline inbound play, Guevarra got the ball at the spot where he need not dribble and just go for a lay-up or a short stab. I would not blame him for the miss per se, but with 3 seconds and receiving the ball at that spot, there was no need rush the shot - which he did. Nanduon yung pagkakamali. But maybe he just didn't have the experience to execute it well. Matututo rin yan.

But it was just two months since Bautista got elevated to the pros...and full six months to the next NC'wars. Still lots of time to train and learn.

I still believe you will be a contender in season 83.

ESCALERA JR.
12-04-2006, 07:57 PM
This is one problem Alas has to find solutions, and quickly.

The Knights have no main gunner during crucial moments. Just imagine a regular bench warmer suddenly finds himself with the ball in the dying seconds...for the clincher at that.

Pero sayang din yung opportunity...if ever he made that shot, it would haveboosted his confidence the next time he finds himself in a similar situation. But as it turned out, the poor guy succumb to pressure.

Nice game!

LION
04-04-2007, 03:15 PM
Heard last week that Hafer Mondragon already left the team.

Heard today that Mark Balneg failed most of his subjects and will not play this year.

Would appreciate any confirmation from the Letranites.

abcdef
04-04-2007, 10:31 PM
There is a new player in Letran however he is still in the team b. He is 6'5 to 6'7. I saw him play in a league in Cavite. . .

christian
04-19-2007, 08:52 PM
who is the guy who played point with CSJL yesterday? parang si jason castro, pero pang forward ang katawan! nakakatakot...

Sam Miguel
05-01-2007, 12:50 PM
Balneg, Quinday, Faundo and Foronda were great against San Beda. All they need is just a bit more training and this is a Louie Alas specialty. I believe these four are ready to step up as the main men of Letran for Season 83. You can easily notice the athleticism and skill they bring to the table. Faundo and Foronda are highly servicable big men who have a lot of heart and know how to get after the ball off the glass, a requirement when playing for Alas.

razor
05-01-2007, 08:49 PM
^ Balneg did not play last Sunday. In fact, he is no longer in their line-up.

MonL
05-02-2007, 05:44 PM
^ Balneg did not play last Sunday. In fact, he is no longer in their line-up.

Sam probably was referring to Dangcal. He did give the Lions headaches with his sniping.

Joescoundrel
05-03-2007, 09:15 AM
That must have been Dangcal. Although even Chiqui Reyes, the commentator, seemed to be constantly making a mistake referring to him as "Balneg", oh well... Still, the Knights were indeed quite potent and balanced in their game against the defending NCAA champions. In the end it was just a case of who got the better breaks and made their free throws that sealed it for San Beda.

Ray Jazukl however may not be the pointguard Letran needs, heck he may not even be a fulltime pointguard. While he handles well and has great speed he seems not to keen to set up plays nor look to pass. He made some good passes, yes. But those came almost as gimme plays and not because he ran a set like more traditional pointguards. I'd love to see him become more of a setter.

letranense1620
05-04-2007, 09:39 AM
Ray Jazukl however may not be the pointguard Letran needs, heck he may not even be a fulltime pointguard. While he handles well and has great speed he seems not to keen to set up plays nor look to pass. He made some good passes, yes. But those came almost as gimme plays and not because he ran a set like more traditional pointguards. I'd love to see him become more of a setter.

just like Boyet :)

nash_bedista
05-04-2007, 09:19 PM
Letran won against Ateneo. I don't know the score .

ESCALERA JR.
05-07-2007, 06:04 PM
May balita wala na naman daw sa line-up si Tagarda ???totoo nga ba? can anyone confirm this...if true, ano kaya ang dahilan.

The guy can give quality minutes and relieve Jazul in the pg position, eventually taking over the spot later on.Baka naman hindi nabibigyan ng playing time ni Alas. Sayang kung totoong wala na nga.

bugleboy
05-07-2007, 06:36 PM
wala nga si tagarda, at least, doon sa summer lineups ng letran. as of last semester, he was still enrolled in letran but i don't know if he will still be there come june. new guys on the team are cabonce (said to be a fil-am), gutilban and reposar. of the three, reposar seems to be the one with the most promise, if only he can keep his fouls down.

bugleboy
05-19-2007, 08:39 AM
the knights lost to the jru heavy bombers last night, 76 - 78, in the filoil tournament. the bombers -- starring hayes, wilson, pradas, sena, and cagoco -- fought back from double digit deficits to snatch the lead with around two minutes left in the game. four consecutive misses by del rosario from the line in the dying seconds, as well as botched desperation tries from the others, doomed the knights to their fourth loss. andro quinday sank two from the line with 0.3 seconds left to set the final score.

rj jazul and kojak melegrito performed very well for the knights in this game, along with sporadic brilliant performances from guevarra, quinday, faundo, daa and reposar. dangcal, on the other hand, helped jru with its comeback bid with successive errors --- grrrrr! ditto with ranises, who gave jru's marvin hayes with a lot of and-one opportunites, and which hayes dutifully converted.

still and all, a worthy effort from the knights. they must practice on their free throw shooting though, as close games can be won or lost with this. congratulations to the heavy bombers! quite definitely, they will be a force to reckon with come ncaa 83.

btw, chris camus of san beda's team behold was in the stands yesterday, watching this game. saan kaya papasok ang batang ito sa susunod na taon -- sa jru o sa letran? abangan . . .

ESCALERA JR.
05-20-2007, 03:59 PM
I wonder why Letran is not joining the bandwagon on recruiting highschool stars from other schools. ???

Fortunately, the Letran's Sr. Basketball program continues to flourish even with unknown recruits from lesser known schools in the provinces... however is succesfull in giving faceless players become future hoops stars, eg... Willie Miller in Olongpo, Kerby Raymundo (from what hs ?)r, Alcaraz from LasPinas to name a few..*

Im just wary about our campaign starting this year. With other teams having a strong intact line-up as against the Knights decimated core, now mostly composed of 2nd stringers and former bench-warmers. Balnegcould have been the best guy to carry the team, nawala pa... mukhang mahihirapan na talaga yata mkapasok kahit sa f4.

Formr Squires Juius Wong, Darell Greene,and Tagarda were let go and will now be suiting up for other teams.

Dito naten makikita kung si Alas talaga ang nagdadala sa team. goodluck for season 83. isang bwan na lang!

ESCALERA JR.
10-14-2007, 06:13 AM
Congratulations to Knight Rafael "RJ" JAZUL.

Best Player Awards:

- Gamefacers pick for NCAA Season 83
- UAAP-NCAA Bantay Bata

Way to go, RJ

batangueño
10-14-2007, 10:08 AM
Congratulations to Rey Guevarra for winning the 2007 UAAP-NCAA All-Stars Slam Dunk Competition and RJ Jazul for being the 2007 UAAP-NCAA All Stars Game Most Valuable Player. :)

ESCALERA JR.
12-16-2007, 06:24 AM
After almost 3 months since the NC finals, i hope our Knights return back to action.

Coach L Alas, fresh from SEA Games duty will again stir his boys back to old form.

Which tournament will they play? any info???

Hoy Gising!!! ;D

letranense1620
01-10-2008, 04:55 AM
Arriba Letran!!! Updates naman diyan. :)

mighty_lion
01-13-2008, 04:03 PM
After the last SBC FMC game kanina, we managed to had a glimpse of Letran FMC team in warm-ups. Surprised to see the pesky star PG of La Consolacion is now wearing Jersey #42 for the Knights. From the time I saw that guy play last semester, I and my friend was already expecting someone's going to recruit this guy to play in the NCAA or UAAP. He is a good pick-up for Letran. No idea about his name though.

knight38
02-05-2008, 05:55 PM
Kudos Knights for making it to the FMC 08 final four. Keep on winning! Arriba!

stonecold316
02-08-2008, 01:25 AM
Letran is a force to reckon with sa NCAA. I'm very sure mahihirapan ang San Beda sa kanila what with the the Knight's players already gaining maturity in the off season tourneys.

stonecold316

danny
02-08-2008, 02:32 AM
Letran is a force to reckon with sa NCAA. I'm very sure mahihirapan ang San Beda sa kanila what with the the Knight's players already gaining maturity in the off season tourneys.

stonecold316

No school in the NCAA should* be taken lightly by the Red Lions. With some* Team Behold (poetential Team Animo members) players gaining maturity and the second stringers from Team Animo gaining confidence,* I am also sure mahihirapan din silang lahat contra San Beda. :D :D

Actually mahihirapan ang lahat laban sa isa't isa. Kailan ba naging madali ang NCAA basketball? :D

danny
02-08-2008, 02:37 AM
After the last SBC FMC game kanina, we managed to had a glimpse of Letran FMC team in warm-ups. Surprised to see the pesky star PG of La Consolacion is now wearing Jersey #42 for the Knights. From the time I saw that guy play last semester, I and my friend was already expecting someone's going to recruit this guy to play in the NCAA or UAAP. He is a good pick-up for Letran. No idea about his name though.

That's the beauty of Letran basketball under Alas. Unheralded players are identified then recruited and converted into basketball killing machines. No need for big names.

toti_mendiola
02-12-2008, 01:06 PM
Ayon sa mga pexer na mga letranista, wala na daw si faundo next season, ano nga ba ang dahilan? age, eligibility, exhausted playing years, 7 yr out of HS?

AnthonyServinio
02-12-2008, 02:34 PM
Ayon sa mga pexer na mga letranista, wala na daw si faundo next season, ano nga ba ang dahilan? age, eligibility, exhausted playing years, 7 yr out of HS?

AYAW NA niya kasi marinig yung cheer ng "Fauuuuuuuuuuuuuuuundo!" :D

LION
02-12-2008, 04:26 PM
I've heard this rumor a month ago. Sabi ng mga tsismoso (na katulad natin* ;D), may alitan daw si Faundo at Alas.* *Nakita raw ni Brian si Louie na nakikisigaw ng Faauuuuuuunnnndddoooooooo.* *

Seriously, someone told me that they have a rift.

Sayang, deep inside I admire Faundo. Mabait na bata yan. Gentle giant din yan.

erichubert
02-12-2008, 05:40 PM
Sayang naman, baka pwede na magpadraft si Faundo. Tingin ko pwede siya maging back-up center sa PBA, kung si Bugia nga nagagamit ng Red Bull, siya pa na mas magaling pa.

toti_mendiola
02-12-2008, 05:56 PM
I've heard this rumor a month ago. Sabi ng mga tsismoso (na katulad natin ;D), may alitan daw si Faundo at Alas. Nakita raw ni Brian si Louie na nakikisigaw ng Faauuuuuuunnnndddoooooooo.

Seriously, someone told me that they have a rift.

Sayang, deep inside I admire Faundo. Mabait na bata yan. Gentle giant din yan.

Baka naman nasaktan sa mga chest thumping nila?

Seriously, oo nga sayang kung mawawala si faundo. malaki siyang kawalan sa mga isinisigaw natn.

mighty_lion
02-12-2008, 06:20 PM
Hindi na ako manonoud ng live SBC-Letran game next season kung wala si Bryan Faundo.

ESCALERA JR.
02-12-2008, 07:43 PM
Kayo naman kasi eh, low-profile at mahiyain nga yung tao, panay naman ang sigaw niyo ng FAAAUUUUNNNDO!
Ayan tuloy, nag-self-impose exile ;D

Pero sayang tlga. ngayon pa nag-improve nang husto ang laro niya. Lets keep our fingers crossed, baka mayroon himalang mangyari at makabalik pa siya next season. :)

ESCALERA JR.
02-22-2008, 10:24 PM
Letran Knights up against improving SSC Stags in the FMC semis matchup on Sunday.

Baste is definitely a cinch for a final four in the coming NCAA S84. Gallent has slowly but surely building up its strength in the middle. Maraming pahihirapan... lalo na kung wala si Brian Faundo.

Sino na kaya ang bagong pinoporma ni Alas para pamalit kay Brian?

Abangan sa mga susunod na linggo

LETRANISTA!
02-23-2008, 08:29 PM
dpt tlga malakas na center ang ipplit kay faundo un ang kulang sa letran

oca
02-24-2008, 10:54 PM
What was glaring in this mornings loss to SSC-R at the FMC was --- the Knights were beaten off the boards. They hardly had second shots and gave up too many of the same.

When you think that only Ballesteros was the only competent big man in the Stags rotation, you would wonder how the Knights would fare against SBC with Ekwe, Taganas, Marcelo, Udo and Pascual. Or vs the gang rebounding of MIT.

This is not the Alas coached Letran that I know.

Sabagay, malayo pa ang Season84....

bchoter
02-25-2008, 12:42 PM
How old is Faundo and what year did he complete his HS education? Baka naman puwedeng mag resurface siya sa ibang liga. Baka gusto niyang ma reunite sa ka liga niya sa STI. Puwede din sa UST :D

AnthonyServinio
02-26-2008, 02:27 AM
How old is Faundo and what year did he complete his HS education? Baka naman puwedeng mag resurface siya sa ibang liga. Baka gusto niyang ma reunite sa ka liga niya sa STI. Puwede din sa UST :D

From what I remember, Bryan Fauuuuuuuuuuundo is a transferee from Perpetual Help-Dalta.

STI's league NAASCU does not allow first-time players (ie rookies, transferees) with previous PBL experience to suit up. He already played in the PBL. Fauuuuuuuuuuundo's collegiate career is basically over unless he decides to return to the Knights' fold.

LION
02-26-2008, 07:44 AM
We want Faundo back!* And we are not joking. We really want him back!

mighty_lion
02-26-2008, 08:58 AM
We want Faundo back!* And we are not joking. We really want him back!

Count me in! Bryan Faundo is my favorite player in Letran.

bchoter
02-26-2008, 12:33 PM
AS then by all means, let's get Fauuuuuuuuuundo back in Muralla!

King_stag
02-26-2008, 05:00 PM
FAAAUUUNNNDOOO! Sounds good, hehe. specially during the presentation of starters ::)

ESCALERA JR.
02-26-2008, 08:04 PM
Matanong ko lang...ano ba talaga ang nagustuhan ninyo kay FAUNDOOO maliban sa pagiging magandang lalaki ;D

Faundo was just a second rate player prior to last season when his game started to pick-up mainly due to lack of big men in the Knights roster.

Or was it just the barkers fault.

mighty_lion
02-26-2008, 08:26 PM
One way or another it was the barker who started it out. The main reason I like Faundo is because of his off-court demeanor and personality. Pagnakakasalubong ko yan sa likod after a game nambabati pa yan sabay :).

King_stag
02-26-2008, 09:26 PM
Aside from hi suave appeal, he has a soft 10-15 foot jumper which is rare for a big guy. hehe FAAUUNDOOO rules ;D

LION
02-27-2008, 07:57 AM
And he's the only big man in the NCAA who can frustrate Sam Ekwe with his medium range jumpers. And we like Faundo's demeanour on and off the court. Walang yabang sa katawan. Idol ng bayan yang si Bryan. Favorite ng mga Bedista. :)

Balita ko nga maganda daw gf niyan. Niligawan daw ni boyet bautista yung babae pero basted. Pero kay Bryan laglag ang kanyang p...................uso. :)

ESCALERA JR.
02-27-2008, 09:42 AM
PANAY ANG RALLY NGAYON...

Nais ng Paalisin si GMA>>>ito ang sigaw ng Bayan.

Sino ipapalit natin....si

;DF A A U U N D D ;D ;D ;D!!!

ESCALERA JR.
02-27-2008, 09:54 AM
oops sorry...masyado na tayong OT. Magagalit ang moderator (este ako pala yon ;D)

Bryan Faundo would have gained a better mileage if he has plans of turning pro later in the year. Had he stayed for another season for the Knights, mas lalo pa siya makikilala at mahahasa.

As it is, ganon talaga. We wish him all the luck in his basketball career.

AnthonyServinio
03-03-2008, 03:33 AM
HERE are the current and former Letran Knights playing in the current 2008 PBL Lipovitan Amino Sports Cup:

BACCHUS ENERGY DRINK -- Rey Guevarra and Hafer Mondragon;

HAPEE TOOTHPASTE -- Miko Quinday;

HARBOUR CENTRE -- Boyet Bautista;

SAN MIG COFFEE -- John Paul Alcaraz and Mark Balneg;

TOYOTA-OTIS -- Frederick Rodriguez, Paul Guerrero, Jonathan Aldave and Bryan Faundo.

ilovedhay
03-19-2008, 09:39 PM
Incoming rookies before season 84 ng Letran Knights. So we need a big men after we loss Brian Faundo and Miko Quinday. We need to match the big men like JRU's James Sena and San Beda Sam Ekwe, Marcelo, Emeka Udo and Ervin Pascual

gwaps
03-20-2008, 11:40 AM
^^and my personal favorite, Baby Shaq Taganas.. ;D

I think Foronda and other Team B big men can fill the shoes of Faundo and Quinday in terms of offensive and defensive rebounds.* Yun nga lang, sayang yung perimeter shooting ni Faundo.* Malakas pa rin ang Letran kahit wala sina Faundo and Quinday since mature yung mga guards/wing men ng Letran.* Lahat may depensa.* At higit sa lahat, andyan pa si Coach A, kaya nothing to worry.. ;D

ESCALERA JR.
05-04-2008, 01:57 PM
cLEAN SLATE OF lETRAN sQUIRES AND kNIGHTS IN THE Nike Summer League.

Keep it up!

ESCALERA JR.
05-26-2008, 02:45 PM
cLEAN SLATE OF lETRAN sQUIRES AND kNIGHTS IN THE Nike Summer League.*

Keep it up!

Ay mali...sa Fr. Martin's pala.

No more LetranKnights in the Fil-Oil.

Coach Alas pulled out his team in that tourney, thus will be concentrating on his PBL team playing in the finals...the Nike Tournament and and Fr. Martin.

Good riddance! :)

nastrans
05-26-2008, 10:27 PM
Assuming it wont be rescheduled, Letran meets NU tomorrow at 4pm sa Nike.

Thus far, they are in a three-way logjam for second with the Bulldogs and FEATI University.

Rafiboy_05
06-02-2008, 08:06 PM
umaariba ang KNIGHTS at SQUIRES sa FMC, pasok tayo sa FINALS

Semi Finals Results

Seniors:

Letran: 74
JRU: 67

Juniors:

Letran: 103
Ateneo: 101

ilovedhay
06-02-2008, 09:00 PM
This will be a double celebration for us till next sunday. Arriba Letranista!!!!

ESCALERA JR.
06-03-2008, 11:36 AM
CONGRATS to the Letran Squires for winning the FCBL against the Ateneo Eaglets.

GOOD LUCK to the Letran KNIGHTS & SQUIRES in the FMC Finals on Sunday.

WELL DONE...ARRIBA

arriba95
11-11-2008, 01:51 PM
Knights clobber Titans, near Sweet 16
By Cedelf P. Tupas
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 03:44:00 11/11/2008

MANILA, Philippines—Letran College clobbered AMA Computer College, 96-65, Sunday night to clinch a berth in the crossover semis of the Visayas zonals of the Philippine Collegiate Championship at the Ormoc Dome in Ormoc City.

The Knights, who finished third in the NCAA tournament, pulled away in the second quarter against the Tacloban/Ormoc champions as they warmed up for their showdown with the dangerous University of Cebu Webmasters.

Still, Letran coach Louie Alas was far from satisfied by the performance of his team.

“We were very sluggish because we haven’t been complete in practice since some of the players were with their PBL [Philippine Basketball League] teams,” said Alas, whose team was set to play UC Monday night.

“We have to be consistent if we want to advance from here.”

Letran actually missed key reserve Rey Guevarra, who is sidelined by tendonitis, while power forward Dino Daa is hobbled by a dislocated finger.

In the first game, University of San Jose-Recoletos also moved into the semis with an 88-77 triumph over West Negros University.

The Jaguars avenged their defeat to the Mustangs in the University Games in Dumaguete City last month.

A win by Letran over UC will set up a duel with WNU, while USJ-R will likely face UC in an all-Cebu semis showdown. The winners in both semis matches will gain berths to the Sweet 16.

Already assured of Sweet 16 slots are Ateneo de Manila University, De La Salle University, San Beda College, Jose Rizal University, San Sebastian-Recoletos de Cavite, University of Visayas, and Manuel L. Quezon University.

Advancing from the Luzon zonal phase were University of the East, Arellano University, Lyceum of the Philippines and Mapua Institute of Technology.

The chase for the Sweet 16 berths ends in Cagayan De Oro City where University of Mindanao, Ateneo de Zamboanga University, Xavier University, Far Eastern University, University of San Carlos and Capitol University will vie for the final two slots from Nov. 14-16.

arriba95
11-14-2008, 09:41 AM
Knights nip Jaguars, top PCC Visayas

By Cedelf P. Tupas
First Posted 04:37:00 11/14/2008

MANILA, Philippines—RJ Jazul buried a layup with barely a second left as Letran College completed a stirring comeback from 17 points down to nip University of San Jose-Recoletos, 82-80, Wednesday night and conquer the Visayas zonals of the Philippine Collegiate Championship at the Ormoc Superdome in Ormoc City.

The Jaguars from Cebu looked headed for an upset win as they led, 80-74, with less than a minute left, before Jazul came to life with a couple of game-turning plays and made the Jaguars pay for their poor free throw shooting.

A Dino Daa split and Reymar Gutilban’s three-point play following four missed free throws by USJ-R sliced the lead, 78-80. Jazul tied the game at 80 from the charity stripe with 20 ticks left.

Jazul grabbed the rebound on Manny Gabas’ flubbed free throws, rushed down court and nailed the winning basket as time expired.

“Our defense in the fourth quarter really spelled the difference,” said Letran coach Louie Alas.

The Knights will meet the San Sebastian College-Cavite Baycats in the Sweet 16, while the Jaguars drew NCAA champions San Beda Red Lions.

Jazul pumped in 15 points to match Daa’s output while Jan Malinao and Luther Justiniani finished with 22 and 20, respectively for the Jaguars.

Two more slots to the Sweet 16 will be contested starting Saturday in Cagayan de Oro City, where University of San Carlos, Far Eastern University, Xavier University, Ateneo de Zamboanga, University of Mindanao and Capitol University will be playing.

Joescoundrel
12-01-2008, 10:23 AM
Letran hardly broke a sweat disposing of an off-form San Sebastian Cavite in the ongoing Fil Oil Flying V Sweet 16 tournament at the Arena.

Stamping their class early on against the Bay Cats of head coach Edgar Macaraya, head coach Louie Alas' Knights went to town right away on transition and from the perimeter right from the opening period. PBL veteran and team captain RJ Jazul started everything off with his dead-eye perimeter shooting and masterful ball distribution. Two more PBL veterans - forwards Dino Daa and Rey Guevarra - joined in with timely hits in the lane.

San Sebastian Cavite however was not about to just roll over as 5-foot-11 swingman Jeff Acain and 6-foot swingman Rey "Kobe" Alcasabas responded with slashes into the gut of the Letran defense mixed in with some timely hits from long range to stay within 13-18 after the first period.

Letran however soon went to its superior size inside as well as to its notorious roughhousing tactics to errect their first double-digit lead 36-25. Regin Raneses, Jam Cortes and Alvin Cabonce pounded the smaller San Sebastian Cavite frontline in the lane and at the low blocks. Guards Rey Dangcal, Kojak Melegrito, Kirk Del Rosario and Rey Gutilban also started roughing up 5-foot-9 guard Jun Gracilla and 6-foot-1 forward Lito Escobal on the defensive end to stymie the game of the Bay Cats.

Letran practically put on a clinic in the third period going up by as much as 22 points at 61-49 behind the continued sniping of Jazul and Guevarra, the slashing of Melegrito and Gutilban and the power moves in the lane of Cabonce, Cortes and Daa. San Sebastian Cavite had no solution for the bigger and far more aggressive Knights. It didn't help that key Bay Cats were way off their game, including 6-foot-2 PBL newbie forward Kris Lucernas, the reigning NAASCU most valuable player, and 6-foot-1 forward Mark Basa.

In the payoff fourth period the Bay CAts finally came alive and came within 61-70 behind the transition attacks of Gracilla, Alcasabas and Acain. Lucernas and Lyle Antipuesto also got some opportunistic baskets themselves and the Knights looked visibly rattled. Bucking the fouling out of Jazul midway through the last period, the Knights settled down behind the heads-up guard play of Gutilban even as Melegrito and Daa responded on the offensive end to once again pull away all the way to the final buzzer.

Melegrito led all scorers with 16 points while Daa added 15 markers.

Gracilla had 14 points for the Bay Cats.

KingRedLion
12-03-2008, 06:15 PM
Knights upset Tams! 94-93

Excellent game played by both teams. But Letran was all heart and determination right from the get-go. Letran's outside sniping was unfathomable including the last rainbow conversion by Kojack.

What a matchup between Melegrito and Barroca. Every colegiala's dream(or nightmare) matchup! ;D

It's shaping up to be an NCAA vs. UAAP semi-final ;)

One of the rare times where I wanted Letran to win just coz they're from the NCAA ;)

ilovedhay
12-03-2008, 07:37 PM
its a classic ncaa final four
Letran vs Ateneo, La Salle vs San Beda!!!
Nice to see that!

LION
12-04-2008, 07:54 AM
Papano yan dalawa ang import ng Ateneo? ;D

The Knights played their best game so far this year. Their outside shots were falling, they were rebounding, they were hustling and they really roughed up the Tamaraws. It was a combination of pesky and physical defense that won the game for the Knights. Pikon na pikon si Knuttel kay Melegrito. ;D

The_Big_Cat
12-04-2008, 02:31 PM
When was the last time the Letran Knights hit 15 three-point shots in one game?

Letran's pressing defense rattled FEU's offensive game yesterday. Although outsmuscled, Letran was sizzling from the perimeter all game long.

ESCALERA JR.
12-06-2008, 05:00 PM
Our LETRAN KNIGHTS almost pulled another MagicTrick against the ATENEO Blue Eagles but ALAS!...fell short by a solitary point 61-60.

We lost ...but the feeling of PRIDE swells in our hearts...mga Ka-Dugong Arriba!.

The never say die attitude has always been there...the boys kept on digging, scratching, battling to cut down Ateneo's big lead...and even took the driver's seat w less than a minute...Ganda sana pag nanalo!

MUntik na...SAYANG!..another come from behind classic sana.

Ok . Life goes on. Next

A R R I B A !

The_Big_Cat
12-06-2008, 05:38 PM
^JP Belencion and Ranises failed to communicate properly as Ryan Buenafe took advantage for a score.

It was a nicely fought game. Despite being depleted in the frontline, Letran showed heart and poise down the stretch.

Kevin Alas was seated behind the Letran Knights bench.

cub
12-06-2008, 05:59 PM
Letran showed to admu the NCAA type of defense. very physical. that T on Daa was proved very costly. admu was able to score 5points after that. IMO, that's not a T. he just ran away to his disbelief and was called for a T? kung nasa NBA tayo pwede pa tawagan ng T un, nasa PCCL lang tayo eh.

Joescoundrel
12-06-2008, 11:38 PM
Ryan Buenafe is really earning all the hype, headlines, column and feature inches and other accolades. Buenafe scored on one of his patented dribble-drives to the hoop to give Ateneo De Manila the nail-biting 61-60 victory over hard-fighting Letran College in the Fil Oil Flying V Final 4 at the Arena.

Playing in front of a predominantly blue and white gallery, the Blue Eagles came out a little tentative as the toughest team in the NCAA opened hostilities by going up 8-0 early in the first period including two treys. But Ateneo soon settled down behind reigning UAAP most valuable player Rabeh Al-Hussaini. Al-Hussaini went to his favorite spot in the left box and nailed jump hook after jump hook to knot the count at 8-all. When Buenafe was first sent in he soon made it 13-8 late in the first period.

In the second period it became a nearly all-Ateneo show as Buenafe and Al-Hussaini continued on their personal scoring parades. Eric Salamat and Jai Reyes also got in on the scoring parade from long range and on transition. Letran looked totally unable to keep up as the Knights resorted to grabbing tactics only to get whistled time and again. By the lemon time break Ateneo had a 39-24 lead and looked headed for the easy cruise to victory.

No such luck though as the second half turned into a bloody war of attrition. Letran turned up the roughhousing tactics with Jam Cortes and Alvin Cabonce tightening up on the Ateneo frontline. Al-Hussaini, who had a lot of success in the first half from the low post turned into a jump shooter as the Knights slammed the door in the lane, ditto Salamat. PBL veterans Dino Daa and RJ Jazul also got going on the firing end bringing Letran within 52-51 late in the payoff fourth period. Ateneo was held scoreless over over four minutes. Were it not for the shotblocking of UAAP defensive player of the year Nonoy Baclao the Blue Eagles could have been in more trouble.

Daa was then called for his fifth and final foul in a loose ball scuffle against Baclao. He put on some histrionics and was then slapped a technical foul, giving the Blue Eagles two foul shots plus possession. Reyes sank both freethrows; one more Ateneo basket made it 56-51. Letran wasn't done yet though as Regin Ranises sank a long trey from the corner.

After another Al-Hussaini miss form the post, Jazul gave Letran the 60-59 lead on a difficult one-handed flip shot off his own miss time down to under 40 seconds. Buenafe however came back into the game and drove into the gut of the Letran defense to score on his game-winner. Jazul had one last chance to play hero but was tied up by Baclao. In the ensuing Ateneo inbound Al-Hussaini got the pass and was locked into a jump ball with time down to 2.7 seconds in the Letran front court. Rey Guevarra however missed the last Letran attempt of the game as the Blue Eagles hung on for the win.

Al-Hussaini led all scorers with 24 points and eight boards while Baclao had five blocks. Buenafe had 11 markers of his own.

Jazul led the Knights with 13 points while Daa added 12. Jam Cortes had 16 huge rebounds.

ilovedhay
12-07-2008, 02:38 PM
I see a break out year for NCAA Season 85 for Jam Cortes and Jaypee Belecion. RJ Jazul and Rey Guevarra will lead this team along John Foronda and Kirk Del Rosario.

arriba95
12-08-2008, 05:12 PM
Congratulations to the Knights of Colegio de San Juan de Letran for bagging Third Place honors in the
Philippine Collegiate Championship.

RJ Jazul could not be more precise: "Redemption"

Year 2008 for the Blue and Red:
Father Martin Cup-2nd Place
NCAA-3rd Place
PCC-3rd Place

"I Am because We Are."

"For the Strength of the Team is the Knight and the Strength of the Knight is the Team."

Onwards to the 2009 Season!

LION
12-08-2008, 05:34 PM
Congratulations for the "Redemption"! :)

oca
12-10-2008, 01:46 PM
The last 2.7 seconds of that CSJL-ADMU game, imo, revalidated just how good a coach Alas is. Without the benefit of a timeout the Knights were able to execute two "designed plays" from the inbound.

Though after the jumpball call was made w/c gave the Knights last possessin, Alas did gathered the 5 players on the floor and gave quick instructions. But without the benefit of the whiteboard, simpleng verbal instruction lang at senyas, naka execute ng magandang inbound play ang Knights. Dalawang play yun at from different locations on the court.

Yan ang kakulangan ng maraming coach. Walang nakahandang plays ang team sa situation na walang timeout.

nash_bedista
12-10-2008, 08:16 PM
eto ata yung sinasabi sa NBA LIVE na "after the timeout" plays ba? ???

ilovedhay
02-03-2009, 07:25 AM
Any latest news for Letran Knight? New recruits

Rafiboy_05
02-03-2009, 11:34 PM
ito narinig ko lang na usap usapan sa campus. Reposar will be back next season.

ilovedhay
02-04-2009, 08:05 AM
^^^this will be competitive line up just in case

Rafiboy_05
02-04-2009, 04:39 PM
kung totoo yung usap suapan na yun ito, 2 slots na lang ang kulang para sa Knights. yung 3 will be given to Taplah, J. Alas & Reposar. si Kevin kaya pwede ng isama sa Knights if ever sa Letran siya mag-college?

ESCALERA JR.
02-04-2009, 10:13 PM
ito narinig ko lang na usap usapan sa campus. Reposar will be back next season.

Unfortunately, Reposar is only good as a reliever...not one we can count on to score points like Faundo or Daa.
Sa depensa ...baka pwede pa.

Seems very quiet on the homefront after the PCCL. Are the Knights coaching staff cooking up something special?.

Rafiboy_05
02-05-2009, 03:12 PM
congrats to RJ Jazul & Rey Guevarra. nasa RP Team na sila ngayon

Rafiboy_05
02-17-2009, 09:42 PM
I heard Kevin Alas will be playing for the Knights this coming season, parang 75% sure na daw na maglalaro siya.

-insane-
02-18-2009, 12:07 PM
good news yan para sa knights merong madadagdag na perimeter shooter

Joescoundrel
06-11-2009, 07:03 PM
San Sebastian the first two quarters to adjust and find their range before pulling away for the 92 - 79 victory against NCAA rival Letran in their Final 4 encounter at the Nike Summer League.

Letran was up by as much as 26-12 in the opening period as the Stags were blowing defensive assignments and switches that allowed Reymar Gutilban, JP Belencion and Jam Cortez to score practically at will.

By the third period though, Jimbo Aquino, Dave Najorda, Ray Maconocido and Ron Pascual began to find hit their stride on offense, even as Pamboy Raymundo masterfully ran the San Sebastian offense. With Raymundo, Anthony Del Rio and Jon Semira playing the passing lanes on defense, the Stags went up by as much as 71-61.

RJ Jazul and Kevin Alas however struck back for the Knights. A Jazul trey and then a drive brought Letran back to within 71-75. But Pascual, Najorda and Aquino conspired to once again pull the Stags away at 81-71. San Sebastian cruised all the way to the final count as Letran ran into a mess of end-game turnovers.

Aquino led the Stags with 20 markers while Najorda added 17. Jazul had a game-high 21 points for Letran.

ilovedhay
11-10-2009, 09:13 PM
champions league is almost less than 2 weeks. Are they doing their preparations already

bugleboy
11-25-2009, 07:46 PM
Hurray for the Knights! They beat the defending champions DLSU Green Archers, 82 - 71, behind J. P. Belencion's super-hot three-point shooting (for a total of 36 points). On to the next round! Arriba Letran!

ilovedhay
01-09-2010, 10:34 PM
mukhang malabo si Jarelan Tampus sa seniors. Maganda ata yung alok sa La Salle

KingRedLion
01-09-2010, 11:07 PM

IIRC, sources from the recuitment honchos is that he's now in Reedley and will be attending La Salle.

Ang rule naman diyan eh hangga't hindi pa naka-enroll eh wala pang kasiguruhan.

KingRedLion
01-12-2010, 09:45 AM

IIRC, sources from the recuitment honchos is that he's now in Reedley and will be attending La Salle.

Letran will most likely get a "steamroller" guard if everything falls into place. ;)

nardy
01-12-2010, 02:12 PM

if he is no longer attending classes at Marulla and is already going to classes in Reedley .... then its just a matter of time that he is delivered to Taft.

ilovedhay
01-12-2010, 05:21 PM
price matters...hope that Glen Khobuntin and Mark Cruz will stay in Intramuros

Rafiboy_05
01-12-2010, 09:29 PM
si Khobuntin mag-stay yata sa Knights. may mga nakakaita na nagprapractice siya kasama ng Team A. together w/ the 6'7 guy and 6'5 guy at Dysam

Joescoundrel
01-13-2010, 01:54 PM
Saturday January 16 at Lyceum Gym, Intramuros Manila

9:00 AM - STI versus FEU
10:30 AM - AMA versus Informatics
12:00 NN - Perpetual versus Fatima (Battle of the Mama Mary Schools!)
1:30 PM - Lyceum versus CEU
3:00 PM - Arellano A versus Adamson

Sunday January 17 at FEU Gym, R Papa Manila

10:30 AM - FEU versus JRU
12:00 NN - San Sebastian versus Mapua A
1:30 PM - Arellano B versus UP
3:00 PM - St Benilde versus San Beda

Saturday January 23 at Arellano Gym, Legarda Manila

9:00 AM - Informatics versus Arellano B
10:30 AM - Letran versus EAC
12:00 NN - Mapua B versus Fatima
1:30 PM - Lyceum versus San Sebastian
3:00 PM - Adamson versus FEU

Sunday January 24 at FEU Gym

9:00 AM - Mapua A versus UP
10:30 AM - Mapua B versus San Beda
12:00 NN - Perpetual versus St Benilde
1:30 PM - JRU versus Arellano A
3:00 PM - CEU versus AMA

Saturday January 30 at Arellano Gym

9:00 AM - Adamson versus STI
10:30 AM - Mapua A versus Letran
12:00 NN - St Benilde versus JRU
4:00 PM San Beda versus FEU (to be played at San Beda Gym as part of San Beda College FROLICS DAY)

Sunday January 31 at FEU Gym

9:00 AM - AMA versus UP
10:30 AM - Arellano A versus Mapua B
12:00 NN - Fatima versus St Benilde

All schedules may be subject to change without prior notice

Gameface is Philippine Basketball

ilovedhay
02-09-2010, 10:48 AM
any news for Knights Basketball. Sure na ba si Glenn Khobuntin sa seniors ng Letran

Outlander
03-05-2010, 10:20 AM
http://balita.ph/2010/03/04/ncaa-de-ramos-guarte-keep-san-sebastian-in-athletics-lead/

NCAA: De Ramos, Guarte keep San Sebastian in athletics lead

March 4, 2010 11:00 pm

... In juniors’ action, Letran’s Glenn Khobuntin, a star in Letran’s high school basketball team who is a track and field athlete on the side, shone the brightest by snaring three gold medals.

The 18-year-old Khobuntin, who is heavily recruited by college teams both as cager and thrower, reigned supreme in the high jump, discus throw and shot put.

Khobuntin’s effort was a big improvement from his performance last year when he copped a pair of golds in high jump and shot put.

“My target is to really improve on my two gold medals last year,” said the 6’4” athlete. (PNA)

ilovedhay
03-07-2010, 04:27 PM
Tampus and Khobuntin is joining the Letran Knights for season 86

riou
03-09-2010, 09:15 AM
sure na ba ito? big men na lang na malakas sa loob champion team na ulit!

machine101
03-09-2010, 09:50 PM
Tampus and Khobuntin is joining the Letran Knights for season 86

sabi sa NU forum na dun na naka commit si khobuntin.. san talaga siya maglalaro?

riou
03-10-2010, 02:06 PM
late naman na yung post na yun sa NU, recent development yung dito na sa letran na siya maglalaro ;D ;D ;D

kernsten
03-13-2010, 11:53 PM
di pa talaga sure yung dalawa.. haven't seen them practicing with the team...

ilovedhay
03-17-2010, 06:53 AM
aside from Franz Dysam. Any information about the other two rookies na binangit ni Mike Abasolo ng inboundpass.com sina Jonathan Belorio and Raymind Almazan

The_Big_Cat
04-28-2010, 10:42 AM
What happened to 6'5" John Foronda and 6'5" Jomar Datang?
I don't see their names in the ongoing FilOil tourney.

bugleboy
04-28-2010, 02:17 PM
^According to chismis, Foronda is sitting out this coming season and will be preparing for his final year next season. Datang, on the other hand, has disciplinary problems and reportedly has been kicked out of the team.

ESCALERA JR.
05-04-2011, 07:54 PM
Knights not winning any pre-season tournaments...!?#

Why?...is the coaching staff not taking summer tournaments seriously?

We should break away from this practice...the pre season tournaments has a lot of bearing on our campaign for the NCaa...winning more games would do a lot for our confidence as a team.

Just wondering.

riou
02-13-2012, 10:46 AM
Hey guys according to Sir Joescoundrel the semi final game matchup for FMC is agianst san beda at the trinity gym at 12 noon on sunday Feb 19 2012. Medyo curious ako sa lineup natin at umabot tayo ng semis. Any letranites here would like to join me to watch this game on sunday?

bugleboy
02-19-2012, 06:45 AM
^This looks like an interesting game, kaya lang hindi ako makakapunta because of some pressing commitments. Ikuwento mo na lang dito kung anong mangyayari... please?

ESCALERA JR.
02-19-2012, 08:15 AM
@riou, while you're at it, any updates on the game and team composition would be very much aprreciated.
Enjoy the game!

riou
02-20-2012, 09:04 AM
^^ Hi sir, Just went to the game yesterday and suprisingly there were many letranites watched the game. Well San beda won the game 64-61 but they fought for it. 1st quarter our team suprise the red lions they even outscored the lion by 16pts but ofcourse the veterans of the red side really took their maturity play. Then this armon guys he's really a great scorer sank that devastating 3pts when needed the most. As for our Knights, well I was bit surprise of the maturity of their plays everyone contribute. Kevin Alas is an unstoppable player as usual but I think his playing skills became much mature, Kevin racal's slashing moves was so effective on the fast breaks, Mark cruz's 3pts. was so lethal keeping san beda's runs at bay during 3rd quarter. The surprise player for me was this incoming sophomere Gabriel, he can be a post-up player but during the game he landed couple of 3 pointers.

Sorry if I could give you all the details during the game, but overall It's a much competitive Letran team a legite title contender for next season.

nash_bedista
02-20-2012, 09:24 AM
si dysam lang nawala sa core nyo .. :)

overall legit championship contender kayo for this season 88 ;)

riou
02-20-2012, 09:57 AM
Nandun ka din ba sir kahapon? ;D The good thing during that game was both alumni somehow made the atmosphere like a NCAA game both side cheering their defense cheers. Your roaring defense and our Get that ball cheer echoed the gym.

nash_bedista
02-20-2012, 02:03 PM
yes sir (kayo yung grupo ng letranista facing sa bench nila?)..

nasa likod mo lang siguro kami nun.

bugleboy
02-20-2012, 02:04 PM
Thanks, riou. Any notable new players for the Knights? How was Luib? Did he play yesterday? Or the supposed Fil-Canadian/s? Nagpakita ba?

riou
02-21-2012, 09:35 AM
Hahaha kayo pala yun sir nash, oo kami yun sir some were alumni cheerleaders yung katabi ko and yung kasama tropa former chief naman niyo.

Sir bugleboy well my mga nakita ako new faces pero hindi gaanong pinaglaro eh actualy after NCAA season eto lang ang first time ko magwatch kasi ng game natin so hopefully sa mga upcomging summer leagues mas makita natin sila at masubaybayan.

Arriba!

riou
02-22-2012, 05:29 PM
NCAA just signed with AKTV as the next TV converor so expect a weekend games during the season. Mga Letranista labas sa mga bahay niyo at wala na tayong dahilan para hindi manood ulit ng live!! ;D

riou
03-05-2012, 03:26 PM
Fil-Oil 2012 summer league will start on April 14, 2012

First match ups will be Letran vs Ateneo and Lasalle vs San Beda

bugleboy
05-17-2012, 09:19 PM
From Philstar.com:

Knights Turn Back Altas

MANILA, Philippines - Letran drew strength from the return of big man Raymond Almazan as it repulsed Perpetual Help, 71-67, to fuel its playoff drive in the Filoil Flying V Hanes Cup at The Arena in San Juan City yesterday.

The 6-7 Almazan scored six points, pulled down 15 rebounds and came through with three blocks to help the Knights even their record at 2-2.

“I told him he will miss a lot not playing this year, I gave him time to think and I’m glad he finally came to his senses,” said Letran coach Louie Alas, referring to Almazan, who missed the team’s first three games due to personal reasons.

Mark Cruz shot 16 points while Jam Cortez and Jonathan Belorio combined for 26 points and 21 rebounds for the Knights, who missed the services of the Alas brothers Kevin (foot) and Jun Jun (hyperextended knee) due to injuries.

The Altas fell to 0-5.

Earlier, Emilio Aguinaldo College unleashed a flurry of treys in the third quarter as it routed Arellano U, 76-65, to post their second win in six games.

The Generals drilled in four triples to highlight the team’s big third quarter charge that turned a 25-29 halftime deficit into a 58-45 bulge at the end of the period.

Noube Happi paced the Generals with 16 points, 14 rebounds, two assists, two steals and two blocks, while Franz Chong chipped in 13 points and five assists and Russel Yaya added 12 points and grabbed seven rebounds.

“I told the boys to outhustle the opponent, and when I saw the stat sheet I was surprised with our rebounding and assists,” said coach Gerry Esplana, whose wards dominated the glass, 50-35, and were a plus-6 in assists.

“I am happy with our turnovers, but we need to work on our free throws,” said Esplana. EAC committed only 17 turnovers after piling up 29 errors in their last outing against Adamson. – With report from Roland Quilente

-- Guess this report finally answers the question about whether Raymond Almazan will still be playing for us or not.

bugleboy
05-18-2012, 10:37 PM
From Filoil Flying V FB page: Letran wins over UP, 64 - 55. DNP: Kevin Alas.

KingRedLion
05-22-2012, 03:20 PM
Sir bugleboy, tapos na ba ang eligibility ni Almazan in the NCAA? Why is there high doubt that he may not be playing this S88? He's improved immensely, esp on his shotblocking, and malaking kawalan siya sa rotation ni Coach Louie.

Pardon my intrusion and I hope no offense is taken with my questions. Much respect.

bugleboy
05-25-2012, 09:47 PM
Hi KingRedLion, AFAIK, Almazan's problem is not eligibility. He was just distracted, is all. Coach Louie gave him time to think things through and happily, he decided in favor of staying in the team. What you said about his contribution to the team is true. Without Almazan, our team's shot-blocking and rebounding abilities will take a big hit. Buti na lang at natauhan.

Letran won today vs. Mapua, 79 - 55, with Mark Cruz leading the way with 27 points. Kevin and Junjun Alas did not play due to injuries. Our man-of-the-hour, Almazan, played.

bugleboy
05-29-2012, 05:55 AM
The Knights got waylaid by the UST Tigers yesterday, 86 - 69. The Tigers led from beginning to end as they exploited early mismatches anchored on Abdul and Ferrer. When Coach Louie adjusted by putting in Almazan and Kevin and clamping down in the interior, the Tigers hit a flurry of treys and long twos to slowly pull away. It seemed that the UST shooters could do no wrong yesterday, while our own shooters like Cruz, Kevin Alas, Luib, and Lituania were inconsistent. Our inevitable fightback occurred in the third quarter, when Racal, Cruz, Almazan and Cortes were able to whittle down the huge 22-point UST lead to 12. However, the stuffing was knocked out of us when UST's Bautista was able to hit a contested three, and Abdul was able to bury a shot from the near the foul line. It was downhill from there as our boys lapsed into a series of fouls and missed shots.

On the whole, that was a terrible game played by the Knights, lacking in energy and the will to win. On the other hand, UST showed that they were serious from the get-go, and so got this easy win. We had our chances; we had clear shots at the basket but just couldn't convert, even at pointblank range. It seemed that the team was groping for form, unused as they were with playing as an almost intact team, since key players had been unavailable for the longest time.

BTW, Belorio showed up with his left arm in a sling, and so wasn't able to play. VJ Espiritu was a no-show.

KingRedLion
05-30-2012, 01:10 AM
Thank you sir bugleboy for the reply. I appreciate your shedding light regarding Almazan's status with your team.

At present, set na ba ang roster and rotation ng Knights for the upcoming NCAA season? Or may mga ie-elevate/new recruits pa that we are yet to see?

Again, salamat at ARRIBA!

bugleboy
06-02-2012, 06:34 AM
I think the rotation is set. Whatever new recruits we have for NCAA use are already in the Fil Oil lineup. Yun lang nga, as always, Coach Louie "hides" the real abilities of new recruits during the pre-season, similar to what he did before with Racal, Mendoza, Gabriel, Lituania, and Cabonce. As of now, of the new recruits, only Luib is being given real playing time. I suppose this is because Luib is already well-scouted, having come from the Squires. So the purpose of giving him playing time is to give him exposure to the college level of play and thus, boost his confidence.

Sam Miguel
06-04-2012, 09:15 AM
Ateneo De Manila was 2-3 yesterday in Fr Martin Cup action, as the Blue Eaglets defeated the Adamson Baby Falcons 66-61, the Blue Eagles licked the UP Fighting Maroons 65-53, while the Lady Eagles bowed to the FEU Lady Tams 43-41.

The Lasalle Lady Archers also disposed of the Fatima Lady Phoenix.

Men's quarterfinals will be tomorrow Tuesday at the San Beda gym in Mendiola, Manila commencing at 10:30 AM.

Matches in the Gabby Severino Quarterfinals are as follows:

JRU versus Letran
Ateneo A versus Perpetual Help
UE versus Lasalle
Adamson versus FEU

There will also be one last junior division elimination round game at 9:00 Am of this same game day pitting San Beda HS A versus STI Juniors.

All seminifnal games will be held on Thursday June 7 at Trinity University gym in E Rodriguez. Match-ups in teh senior division will be determined based on the outcomes of the Gabby Severino Quarterfinals.

Ladies' semifinals have Lasalle versus Lyceum and FEU versus Adamson.

Finals for all three divisions will be on Sunday June 10 at the San Beda gym in Mendiola. It will be a one-game winner-take-all match for all three division championships.

bugleboy
06-04-2012, 12:16 PM
Well, at least naka-QF tayo sa Fr. Martin. Re the loss last Saturday to SBC, let's just hope that this will not weigh too heavily on the boys and on the supporters. Laban lang ng laban! Arriba!

Sam Miguel
06-06-2012, 09:22 AM
Game results of the Gabby Severino Quarterfinals at San Beda yesterday:

San Beda HS A beat STI Juniors 91-56 (end of junior division eliminations)

JRU beat Letran 89-79
Ateneo A beat Perpetual 80-61
UE beat Lasalle 64-63
Adamson beat FEU 52-51

Joescoundrel
12-14-2012, 10:41 AM
From Peter Atencio of the Fr Martin Cup media center ___

Beda Whips Letran

Games Dec. 15
(at the Arellano University-Legarda gym)

9 a.m. UP vs Letran
10:30 a.m. Adamson vs Informatics
12 nn Mapua vs EAC

The defending champion San Beda Red Lions held off the Letran Knights, 69-55, last Sunday in the 9th Fr. Martin Cup Collegiate Open basketball tournament at the Arellano University-Legarda gymnasium in Sampaloc, Manila.

Ryusei Koga and Arthur de la Cruz delivered the big baskets for the Red Lions, who bounced back from a 64-56 beating they got from the University of Perpetual Help Altas the other week.

Koga shot 15 points while de la Cruz provided 13 for the Red Lion, who picked up their first win in two games in Group A.

The Knights, bannered by Mark Cruz with 12 points, remained in the lead with their 2-1 win-loss card.

In other games, the University of the Philippines Maroons prevailed over the Lyceum Philippines University Pirates, 72-69, while the College of St. Benilde-A Blazers won over the Mapua Cardinals, 71-69.

Jason Ligad showed the way for the UP Maroons with 18 points while Joseph Marata hit 15.

Jonathan Grey fired 14 points for the Blazers.

bugleboy
12-19-2012, 07:48 AM
Di ba third win na ito ng Knights sa FMC? Medyo kulang yata ang bilang.

From www.philstar.com:

Letran, EAC, Adamson rap Martin Cup rivals
(The Philippine Star) | Updated December 18, 2012 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines - Letran, Adamson and Emilio Aguinaldo College continued to stamp their class in the ninth Fr. Martin Cup Collegiate Open basketball tournament, beating their respective rivals in emphatic fashions at the Arellano gym in Legarda over the weekend.

Kevin Racal and Mark Cruz scored 20 and 18 points, respectively, as the Knights outplayed the University of the Philippines Maroons, 82-65, while the Falcons, with Gian Abrigo and Ingrid Sewa combining for 34 points, thumped the Informatics Icons, 76-66.

Noube Happi banged in 18 points as the Generals defeated the Mapua Cardinals, 62-55.

The Knights, who dropped a 55-69 setback to the defending champion San Beda Red Lions the last time out, improved to 2-1 in Group A while the Falcons posted their second straight win in Group B.

The Generals leaned on back-to-back triples by John Jamon in the last two minutes to help them earn their second win in three games.

bugleboy
01-20-2013, 03:10 PM
First game under Coach Caloy ended in a win for the Knights, 72 - 62, over (ironically enough) the CSB Blazers. We are now at 6-1 in the Fr. Martin Cup, our only loss being to San Beda. (Details from FB posts of various SJLC fans)

knightrider
01-21-2013, 10:03 PM
First game under Coach Caloy ended in a win for the Knights, 72 - 62, over (ironically enough) the CSB Blazers. We are now at 6-1 in the Fr. Martin Cup, our only loss being to San Beda. (Details from FB posts of various SJLC fans)

Good start for Coach Caloy. I heard Nambatac played with the team.

bugleboy
01-22-2013, 06:16 AM
^Yup, along with Quinto. Sana tuloy-tuloy na.

Re our FMC stint, I suppose we have to thank Tino Pinat for leading the team to a good start here, despite the lack of manpower in the early goings of the tourney. Salamat, Coach Tino! Good luck in your future endeavors!

bugleboy
03-03-2013, 01:15 AM
According to FB: Knights lost to Benilde in the Fr. Martin Cup: 63-61. Guess we still have lots of work to do. Either that, or nagpapadama lang tayo. I just hope it's the latter.

Sam Miguel
03-04-2013, 09:28 AM
Beda-Benilde A in Fr Martin Cup Open Finals

Veteran pointguard Luis Sinco scored crucial baskets in the final minute and led the College of St. Benilde-A Blazers to a 63-61 upset of the Letran Knights last Saturday in the semifinal round of the 9th Fr. Martin Cup Collegiate Open basketball tournament.

He made 17 points, including six points in the remaining 53.5 seconds, allowing the Blazers to barge into a winner-take-all finals with the defending champion San Beda Red Lions this weekend.

The Red Lions, behind Rome de la Rosa and Olaide Adeogun, breezed past the Arellano University Chiefs, 75-65, and this earned them the right to go for their second consecutive crown since last year.

Newcomer Jon Jalalon and veteran Toto Pinto tried to keep the Chiefs in the fight, bringing Arellano within 48-54 late in the game, but they just could not get enough support from the rest of their team. It did not help that the expatriate triumvirate of Dioncee Holts, James Forrester and Adam Serjue probably broke more of a sweat walking to the venue than from seeing any real action.

Serjue is expected to be out another month with his ACL injury still in the recovery stage. Holts has a slight left knee sprain. Forrester also is still feeling the effects of a left knee sprain he sustained during the PBA D League.

The Blazers triumph came three weeks after Gabby Velasco came aboard as their new coach. This was only the third game for Velasco with St Benilde; he is also head coach of the St Francis of Assisi Doves in the UCLAA.

Commissioner Robert de la Rosa said the final will be on 9 March, Saturday morning at the Trinity University of Asia gymnasium, with the time to be announced at a later date.

St Benilde fought back from as much as five points down in the last quarter, with Mark Romero forcing a 56-all deadlock with his driving layup in the last 1:53.

Romero showed the way with 24 points for the Blazers, who went on to grab the upperhand with a pair of drives from Sinco, 61-56.

But the Knights still managed to stay close by one off McJour Luib’s triple, Sinco kept the Blazers ahead with a charity, 62-61, in the last 4.8 seconds.

Sinco, a former one-season star for the Ateneo High School, then sank another charity off Rey Nambatac’s foul a second later to finalize the count. Nambatac had gotten himself trapped along the sideline after a bad inbound pass by the Knights. He lost the possession and was whistled for a foul trying to recover the ball.

The Knights could have won it as time expired, but Nambatac’s triple missed its mark as the buzzer sounded. Kevin Racal led the knights with 14 points.

“Nahirapan kami. Buti na lang, hindi sila sumuko,” said Velasco. "Credit goes to the players for not giving up."

New Letran head coach Caloy Garcia meanwhile was livid with the table officials. The man in charge of the scoreboard belatedly credited two points for St Benilde during a Letran rally nearing the end of second quarter putting the Blazers ahead 30-21.

"Nakita mo na? Ayan 'yung bibingay mong two points kanina!" he angrily declared after the final buzzer sounded, pointing at the scoreboard.

knightrider
03-04-2013, 01:10 PM
If this St. Francis is the school in Las Pinas, currently the NCAA South champions, then it seems the coach's winning aura has transferred to the Blazers.

As for the Blazers, this team is no push-over. They also scored an upset over the Adamson Falcons. They can also upset beda.

As for CSJL's loss, nothing to loss sleep over. Nakahabol naman, except that yung end-game medyo pumalya. So it needs more work to get it done.

Yung sakit ng team, nandiyan pa. Pag medyo palagay kaya ang kalaban, they usually start flat, then mount a searing rally in the 3rd or 4th Q. Unfortunately for this approach, it's dangerous as the opponents may not just drop dead to let the Knights do their thing. This is one thing Coach Caloy has to develop - a team with a voracious, vociferous killer's instinct, slashing, cutting, decapitating and eviscerating the opponents from the get-go, just like what the Knights of the middle ages did.

Joescoundrel
03-04-2013, 04:45 PM
During this off-season, Caloy Garcia would be best served to go on a recruitment trip, see old friends and contacts in the provinces, tap former players who may have talented relatives or wards, maybe even reach out overseas. Iba na labanan ngayon sa NCAA, ang Caloy Garcia needs to realize he is no longer in the commercial leagues where he can just wait for talents to come to him. He has to go out there, look for them, bring them in and play them.

bugleboy
03-10-2013, 07:43 AM
^Amen to that. The way I heard it, the reason why some recruits shied away from Letran before was not only because of the lack of "incentives" but also because they were afraid that they would not be given the playing time due to the perception that Coach Alas was prioritizing the development of Kevin over the others. I actually heard that from a friend of mine whose son was a seldom-used guard on the team. Sabi ko sa kanya, "Baka sour-graping lang iyan." This was most likely an unfair perception but I guess we could not really fault these guys for thinking this way.

Now that Caloy Garcia is on board, at least we will not have problems of that kind. Whether he uses that to his advantage remains to be seen.

bugleboy
04-11-2013, 09:22 PM
Two one-liners from Spin.ph (http://www.spin.ph/sports/basketball/news/gamboa-adornado-lift-ateneo-b-over-ph-youth) were about Letran's junior and senior teams competing in the Fr. Martin Cup. Bad news and good news.

First the bad news: "Bobby Ray Parks Jr. had 19 points as National University clobbered Letran, 91-49." Yikes. I know Kevin Racal wasn't able to play due to a hyperextended knee. But I guess nobody else stepped up. Either that, or NU just got up from the right side of the bed and our Knights sleepwalked through this game.

Now the good news: "In the juniors division, Ivan Villanueva scored 15 points as the Letran Squires whipped University of Santo Tomas, 92-51." For a team that lost almost all of its starters (except for Villanueva), our Squires are showing more spunk than usual. More of the same, please.

knightrider
04-13-2013, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the info. I shudder at seeing the opponents score 91 and the Knights held to 49. This is where the value of the Louie Alas system of defense comes in. We never had great scorers (except for Kevin, but that came later) and it was always the defense that propped us up to go over the hurdle for a win. Alas(ka) in the PBA is now a vaunted defensive team, no doubt to the inputs of assistant coach Alas. Hope this loss to NU is not a portent of things to come. It is not only beda we have to watch out for in the next season but the other teams which have beefed up. Mapua, Arellano are no push-overs and the Altas are legitimate title contenders. Unlike in the past, a walk to the FF is no longer a sure deal for us. We have to work hard for it.

bugleboy
04-14-2013, 07:40 AM
knightrider - The denizens over at the Letran FB page are saying that the Letran team that NU faced was Team B. My point is, Team B or not, no Letran team should be blown out by 42 points.

You're right. It seems that we have our work cut out for us, and we should go all out every single game.

bugleboy
04-16-2013, 10:24 PM
BTW, our B-Knights lost again in the FMC, this time to JRU. This time, it wasn't a blowout, though.

ESCALERA JR.
04-17-2013, 10:03 AM
whoa! Back2back losses in the fmc and then maybe some more in the filoil tourney!...but thats ok, maybe because we have a new coach and a few incoming rookies that is just starting to warm up to each other. We dont have a streak shooting Alas to count on but as long as the core of veterans Almazan, Racal, Belorio and Mark Cruz play consistently leading up to next seasons Ncaa tournament, we'll fare better...I hope.

Ano kaya kung biglang lumitaw sa line up ang name na Alas, Kev..bago mag June?hahaha. magandang comeback story yan!

dark_blue
04-17-2013, 11:04 AM
From our facebook page
Letran Knights 2013 FilOil Cup lineup
Source:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/547447_620390367990407_197907131_n.jpg

1 BUENAFLOR, Kevin
2 CATIPAY, Andro Cruise
4 DYSAM, Franz Dionne
5 REQUEJO, Jayson Ryan
6 PANTIN, Ramon Andrei
7 ALAS, Kristoffer Louie
8 ALMARIO, Japeth
9 CRUZ, Mark
10 LUIB, Mcjour
11 OLOTU, Ayodele Edward
12 BELORIO, Jonathan
13 NAMBATAC, Rey Benedict
15 GABAWAN, Jamil
17 ALMAZAN, Raymond
18 PUBLICO, Rey
19 RUAYA, Reneford
22 PO, Jeb Carl
27 CASTRO, Fidel

nash
04-17-2013, 03:09 PM
wait? Franz Dysam? kala ko graduate na siya ..

bchoter
04-17-2013, 03:15 PM
Akala ko ba ayaw sa foreigners ang Letran? Bakit may Cuban? Strongman pa!

Big Ticket
04-17-2013, 04:51 PM
From our facebook page
Letran Knights 2013 FilOil Cup lineup
Source:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/547447_620390367990407_197907131_n.jpg

1 BUENAFLOR, Kevin
2 CATIPAY, Andro Cruise
4 DYSAM, Franz Dionne
5 REQUEJO, Jayson Ryan
6 PANTIN, Ramon Andrei
7 ALAS, Kristoffer Louie
8 ALMARIO, Japeth
9 CRUZ, Mark
10 LUIB, Mcjour
11 OLOTU, Ayodele Edward
12 BELORIO, Jonathan
13 NAMBATAC, Rey Benedict
15 GABAWAN, Jamil
17 ALMAZAN, Raymond
18 PUBLICO, Rey
19 RUAYA, Reneford
22 PO, Jeb Carl
27 CASTRO, Fidel

No more kevin racal?

bugleboy
04-17-2013, 05:45 PM
^Racal's currently injured. Hopefully, he will be all healed by the time the NCAA season comes around. We're also expecting Quinto to be around by June.

@ESCALERA JR. -- Knights Team B ang humaharap sa FMC, so that's not yet indicative of how well (or how badly) we will fare in the NCAA. Team A ang lalaban sa Fil-Oil. Whether they will do well or get blown out of the court still remains to be seen. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that new guys like Buenaflor and Ruaya will play well, alongside Almazan, Cruz, Nambatac and Belorio.

@Bchoter -- Pati ako nagulat doon sa Fidel Castro. Buong akala ko'y may sakit ito at nagpapagaling sa Havana. :)

bugleboy
04-22-2013, 08:58 PM
Letran still in a period of transition, says Cruz
By Mei-Lin Lozada
April 22, 2013, 08:15 pm
http://www.spin.ph/sports/basketball/news/letran-still-in-a-period-of-transition-says-cruz

LETRAN point guard Mark Cruz felt they had a win in hand in their opening match in the 2013 FilOil Flying V Pre-Season Premier Cup.

“Sayang,” Cruz sighed after an 81-88 loss to Ateneo on Monday at the Arena in San Juan. “Mananalo na sana kami eh. Pero ganon talaga.”

Still, the point guard, a younger brother of former UP Maroon Marvin and a revelation at the point guard position for the Knights in the last NCAA season, feels it's only a matter of time before the team starts winning.

“Next time mananalo na dahil nagta-trabaho naman kami,” he said.

Cruz noted that aside from adjusting to the system of coach Caloy Garcia, who has been with the team for only two months since taking over from Louie Alas, the Knights themselves are struggling to each other.

"Ang dami pang bago (players) di pa gaano magkakakilala. Medyo kailangan pa namin mag-adjust," said Cruz, who had 18 points, six rebounds and dished out seven of Letran's 12 assists.

Cruz said also expressed confidence that Garcia can bring the best out of the Knights.

"Si coach Caloy, ok naman siya," said Cruz. "Binibigyan niya ng break ang mga players, nagkaka-kumpyansa lahat. Pero di pa lang gaano okay ang team chemistry."

Follow the writer on Twitter: @meilinlozada

Box scores from TLMKK FB page:

Ateneo 88 – Ravena 33, Newsome 13, Pessumal 9, Golla 8, Babilonia 8, Elorde 7, Tiongson 6, Tolentino 2, Asistio 2, Lim 0, Murphy 0

LETRAN 81 – Nambatac 19, Cruz 18, Belorio 12, Almazan 11, Luib 9, Gabawan 5, Castro 4, Dysam 3, Almario 0, Buenaflor 0, Ruaya 0, Publico 0

Quarterscores: 31-20, 44-35, 75-62, 88-81

bugleboy
04-22-2013, 09:22 PM
We were outrebounded, 41-29, with only Almazan working off the boards, finishing with 15 rebounds to go with his 11 points. Mark Cruz, all 5'5" of him, was our second highest rebounder at 6 boards. Turnover points were 9 for Letran vs. 19 for Ateneo. Free-throw and 2-point shot percentages were quite respectable for Letran at 81% and 50%, respectively. But these just balanced out Ateneo's percentages in the same departments. Our boys didn't fare as well in 3-point shots, making only 25% of the attempts, although in absolute value terms, we did score more three-point shots than the Eagles did.

Of the new guys, Nambatac did very well, at least in terms of scoring. Our favorite Fidel Castro scored 4 points in 10 minutes of action, while Buenaflor and Ruaya did not score. Buenaflor, however, issued 2 assists in 7 minutes of play.

More details from https://www.facebook.com/notes/filoil-flying-v-sports/stats-admu-vs-letran/637262582954745

bugleboy
04-26-2013, 09:46 PM
Nambatac stands out as Knights hold off Cobras
By Karlo Sacamos
April 26, 2013, 02:13 pm
http://www.spin.ph/sports/basketball/news/nambatac-stands-out-as-knights-hold-off-cobras

LETRAN survived a late Southwestern University scare to score a 78-68 victory, its first in the Filoil Flying V Preseason Cup at The Arena in San Juan on Friday.

Rookie Rey Nambatac continued to sparkle for the Knights, who came under siege after the Cebu-based squad rallied from an early 15-point deficit to tie the game at one point in the fourth quarter.

The Knights, now toting a 1-1 win-loss card, dealt the Cobras their fifth loss in six games.

Despite missing the services of veteran swingman Kevin Racal, who’s out the whole summer tournament due to a foot injury, the Knights found plenty of offensive options as they built a 15-point second-quarter lead.

But the Cobras, riding the momentum of their breakthrough win last week against Lyceum, fought back and were able to knot the count at 56 early in the fourth quarter.

The Knights, however, refused to fold and turned to the quartet of Nambatac, Mcjour Luib, Mark Cruz, and Raymond Almazan down the stretch to erect another comfortable margin.

“This tournament is for us to build our confidence heading into the NCAA so I’m trying out different players,” Knights coach Caloy Garcia said.

“Ang gusto ko kasi dito sa outlook ng team namin, anybody can be a threat. Yun ang target talaga namin. Even though they (SWU) caught up, I wasn’t calling timeouts because I want them to mature as quick as possible. I left the ball in their hands.”

Nambatac, the former NCAA juniors MVP, spearheaded the Knights with 16 points (6-of-7 free throws), four steals, and two assists, although he missed all his four three-point attempts.

“Alam naman natin na magaling talaga siya, but he still has to develop other aspects of his game, especially yung three-point shot kasi nandiyan na yung drive niya, magaling pumasa. Yung problema lang yung outside shooting,” Garcia said of Nambatac. “He has to be more consistent.”

Nambatac said: “Masaya ako kasi kahit papano, ginagamit ako ni coach. Malaki talaga yung tiwala niya sa akin.”

“Para sa akin naman, kailangan ko talaga mag-step up kasi si K-Rax may injury so kailangan ko munang pagsilbihan yung role niya,” added the homegrown Letran cager, a combo guard who closes recent games at small forward with the playmaker Cruz and Luib taking both guard spots.

The scores:

Letran 78 – Nambatac 16, Luib 13, Cruz 11, Almazan 11, Tambeling 10, Publico 5, Belorio 5, Gabawan 4, Ruaya 3, Buenaflor 0, Pantin 0, Almario 0, Castro 0, Olotu 0

SWU 68 – Sanjo 17, Arong 16, Ortega 8, Otida 6, Bautista 6, Bergondo 4, Siewe 4, Holper 3, Mohammed 2, Panerio 2, Goloran 0

Quarterscores: 18-8, 39-26, 56-53, 78-68

Follow the writer on Twitter: @KarloSacamos

bugleboy
04-26-2013, 09:55 PM
Other details from FilOil FB:

Knights won the rebounding battle, 44-40, with Almazan contributing 11 boards and Gabawan contributing 10. Transferee Von Tambeling finally saw action today, contributing 10 points.

FT% was at 79% (11 of 14), 2-point FG% was at 48% (20 of 42), and 3-point FG%, 36% (9 of 25). It wasn't a good 3-point shooting day for Rey Nambatac, as he went 0-for-4, despite topscoring for the Knights. Luib, Cruz, and Tambeling, though, contributed in this department (3-pt FG).

Assists leader was Mark Cruz with 5 dimes, while the steals leader was Rey Nambatac with 4. Almazan also had 2 assists.

More here: https://www.facebook.com/notes/filoil-flying-v-sports/stats-letran-knights-vs-southwestern-u/639026122778391

knightrider
04-27-2013, 08:54 AM
Maganda yung mindset ni Coach Caloy na all players should be an offensive threat. This will free up the main scorers, like Nambatac or Racal, or Cruz. By the way, Von Tambeling is a transferee from where? UE ba?

bugleboy
04-28-2013, 09:51 AM
^One of the provincial AMA branches (Ormoc yata).

bugleboy
05-03-2013, 08:13 PM
Knights over Stags, 96-94. Almazan with 27 points and 15 rebounds!

bugleboy
05-03-2013, 08:34 PM
Knights need extra period to overcome Stags
By Karlo Sacamos
May 03, 2013, 06:32 pm
http://www.spin.ph/sports/basketball/news/knights-survive-stags-in-overtime

LETRAN survived San Sebastian in overtime, 96-94, to book its second straight win in the Filoil Flying V Preseason Cup at The Arena in San Juan on Friday.

Raymond Almazan, the towering center known for his defensive prowess, showed on offense this time and teamed up with super rookie Rey Nambatac and Mcjour Luib, who delivered on both ends down the stretch to power the Knights past the Stags.

San Sebastian forced overtime behind the solid plays of rookies Leo de Vera and CJ Perez, but came up short in the extra period to fall to a 2-3 (win-loss) slate.

Follow the writer on Twitter: @KarloSacamos

Boxscores from Filoil Flying V Sports FB page:

Letran - 96: Almazan 27, Cruz 19, Nambatac 13, Dysam 12, Castro 11, Gabawan 6, Belorio 4, Luib 4, Publico 0, Po 0, Pantin 0, Tambeling 0, Buenaflor 0.

More details here: https://www.facebook.com/notes/filoil-flying-v-sports/stats-letran-vs-san-sebastian/642443889103281

knightrider
05-03-2013, 08:47 PM
Overtime win! Kulang sa end-game execution, if not for that, panalo tayo agad. The stags are essentially a new team. They have a guy de Vera who has a nice shooting hand, ala Jimbo Aquino and Ronald Pascual, though not quite there yet. Almazan has inside moves not seen before, probably a result of D -league exposure, where he is a main cog of their team. This guy Fidel Castro looks like a diamond in the rough. Medyo nagpakita ng moves, hustle, and grit kaya binabad ni Caloy Garcia. Nambatac played the 3 position and off-guard. Unlike kay Kevin Alas where the offense was run through the Grand Ace, Nambatac had to pick his spots and kailangan dumiskarte for his points. Rookie pa siya, but this guy has "it" and more plays should be tailored for him. Not so nice to see Franz Dysam play like his old Perpetual self. Played PG with himself as first scoring option, kaya naiipit minsan yung movement of the other players. Kaya pala tinanggal ni Coach sa line-up last year. But he did score a handful of three balls while he was on the floor, though the flow of the Knights offense became somewhat disjointed. New recruit Tambeling should be given more playing time as he is also another diamond in the rough and could be awesome once he gets his confidence. As for Pantin, 4th year ka na brod, wala ka pa rin ipinapakita. Team B ka dapat. Belorio and Gabawan are not Jam Cortes, but with Alamazan scoring a lot inside, their offensive presence were not required. Mark Cruz is still PG supreme, and Dysam as back -up may not do it. Nice to see K-Racs around, without a limp, so the hyper-extended knee should be alright by the start of the NCAA season. Also hope to see Quinto in uniform come season 89, as I heard from insiders he is already "in". No pun intended.

bugleboy
05-06-2013, 09:30 PM
Letran keeps EAC winless in preseason tournament
Reuben Terrado
May 06, 2013, 07:03 pm
http://www.spin.ph/sports/basketball/news/knights-keep-generals-winless-in-preseason-meet

LETRAN defeated Emilio Aguinaldo College, 78-71, on Monday for its third win in the Filoil Flying V Hanes Premier Cup at The Arena in San Juan.

The Knights improved to a 3-1 (win-loss) slate in Group A and climbed at third spot behind undefeated La Salle (3-0) and Ateneo (6-1).

The Generals remained winless in four games.

The scores

Letran (78) -- Almazan 16, Cruz 13, Ruaya 13, Nambatac 9, Pantin 6, Belorio 6, Publico 5, Dysam 5, Luib 2, Gabawan 2, Catipay 1, Castro 0, Buenaflor 0, Requero 0, Tambeling 0, Oluto 0.

Emilio Aguinaldo (71) -- Manga 18, Jamon 15, Munsayac 10, Tayontong 9, King 9, Arquero 5, Paguia 2, Castro 2, Mejos 1, Mallari 0, Monteclaro 0.

Quarterscores: 21-23; 38-40; 56-52; 78-71

bugleboy
05-06-2013, 09:54 PM
I got a glimpse of the new-look Knights today, as I was finally able to squeeze some time off from work.

Coach Caloy had a rather weird starting five today, with Nambatac and Requejo as guards, Pantin as small forward, Ruaya at PF and Publico at center. The battle was nip-and-tuck in the first half, with EAC outrebounding the Knights and coming up with fastbreak plays, and the Knights countering with steals and fastbreaks of their own. Our three-point shooting was mediocre, although what was surprising was the revelation that Publico and Ruaya had good shooting touches from the outside. Publico is a balik-Team A guy, having been part of it at least once over the last four years. It seems that he has bulked up and grown taller (although he still couldn't be a shade above 6'4"). Ruaya, on the other hand, moves like the second coming of Jam Cortes, although he does have better shooting. Jam, however, has a much better nose for the ball.

The game was still pretty close up to the end of the third quarter, although towards the end of that quarter, the Knights had moved ahead, 56-52, as a result of the heads-up play of Mark Cruz and Raymond Almazan. Coach Caloy used a small-ball tactic at the start of the fourth quarter (with Cruz, Luib and Nambatac) and this triggered Letran's pull-away within a span of less than 5 minutes. Within that span, the lead ballooned to a high of 19 points, if I recall correctly. After this, Coach Caloy pulled out Cruz and later, Nambatac, and replaced them with ex-Squire Andro Catipay and Buenaflor. As a result, EAC was able to inch back closer towards the end.
Other notes: Almazan had a double-double today, with 16 points and 12 rebounds, despite playing only for 20 minutes. Cruz started off slowly and had some costly misses and turnovers, but redeemed himself in the fourth quarter, finishing with 13 points, 5 rebounds, and 3 steals. Nambatac had a relatively quiet afternoon, tallying only 9 points. But he brought so much more to the game than just points. He only scored when the opportunity presented itself -- walang tirang pilit. He also tried hard to involve other players in the action, trying to set up Almazan and Publico for gimmes. The guy also played sticky defense and showed that he is not one to give up easily. At one point, he drove to the basket, and was rejected soundly by EAC's import, Manga. Not giving up, he stole the ball right back and drove home to score. Pantin also did well today, scoring 6 points in the first quarter during that point when EAC was shooting treys gloriously.

It was a rather rough game, with referees all but swallowing their whistles. I think Dysam got a slight sprain, Belorio got hacked on the wrist and wasn't fielded back, and Gabawan got a cut on the chin.

knightrider
05-07-2013, 07:32 AM
I wonder who'll make the final cut? I counted 18 players who suited up yesterday. There were a few who did not play, like Po, but he was given exposure during last game vs Baste. Considering that Racal and Quinto are in, it's gonna be difficult choices for the coaching staff. I hope Castro, Ruaya and Tambeling make it. They had playing jitters when fielded in, but being thrust into the big stage, who wouldn't? The ex-Squire Catipoy is a bundle of hustling energy, but appears smaller than Mark Cruz. Publico can be a credible back up to Almazan. Luib appears to be inching his way to the rotation, and is a heady PG. I agree that Nambatac can do more that get points. On several occasions, he drew the defense to him resulting in assists to teammates. We have a relatively deep selection to fill the current roster to support Nambatac. The support cast are potential stars themselves. Those trying to make the team are not "stop-gap" players but the core of a team that can win several crowns.

The game between sisters schools come Saturday is a must see. These two Dominican schools are poised to win the crown in their respective leagues this coming season. If I'm not mistaken, Fr Lana was the Rector of UST when they had their 4-peat. It's time his "magic" rubbed on to the Knights.

Sam Miguel
05-07-2013, 08:24 AM
Bulldogs nose out Falcons; Knights up

By Jasmine W. Payo

12:15 am | Tuesday, May 7th, 2013

RAY Parks knocked in the game-winning jumper with 3.2 seconds left to lift the National U Bulldogs past the gritty Adamson Falcons, 70-68, in overtime in the Filoil Flying V Hanes Premier Cup yesterday at Filoil Flying V Arena.

Hardly losing his focus over a month after his father’s death, Parks scored six of his team’s eight points in the extra period to finish with a game-high 28 points and lead the unbeaten Bulldogs to a sixth straight victory.

“He took it upon himself to carry us through,” said NU coach Eric Altamirano. “We were struggling offensively, but Ray just found a way to win.”

In the second game, Letran dropped a 17-0 bomb in the second half to down Emilio Aguinaldo College, 78-71, and improve to 3-1.

Raymond Almazan shot 16 points and added 12 boards, while Mark Cruz and Ford Ruaya fired 13 each to power the Knights.

Parks, who wore jersey No. 22 in memory of his father and seven-time PBA Best Import Bobby Parks, also had six rebounds, three assists and a couple of steals, but said he’s still far from his best shape.

“I feel I’m not yet there after all that happened,” said Parks, the two-time UAAP MVP. “But my teammates were encouraging me to take the last-second shot. They trusted me.”

The Falcons battled back from double-digit deficits with Cameroonian Alfred Aroga posting 20 points, 16 rebounds and five blocks.

Lloyd Abrigo’s two free throws with 19.4 seconds left in the fourth period forged overtime, 62-62.

The Falcons fell to 1-2, while the Generals remained winless in three outings.

The scores:

First Game

NU 70—Parks 28, Aroga 20, Villamor 6, Labing-isa 6, Alejandro 4, Rosario 3, De Guzman 2, Roño 1, Javillonar 0, Neypes 0, Khobuntin 0.

ADAMSON 68—Cruz 16, Abrigo 12, Brondial 9, Sewa 8, Bernabe 8, Rios 6, Iñigo 3, Ochea 3, Cabigas 3, Monteclaro 0, Petilos 0, Trollano 0.
Quarters: 21-14, 33-27, 47-45, 62-62 (reg), 70-68 (OT)

Second Game

LETRAN 78—Almazan 16, Cruz 13, Ruaya 13, Nambatac 9, Pantin 6, Belorio 6, Publico 5, Dysam 5, Luib 2, Gabawan 2, Catipay 1, Castro 0, Buenaflor 0, Requero 0, Tambeling 0, Oluto 0.

EAC 71—Manga 18, Jamon 15, Munsayac 10, Tayontong 9, King 9, Arquero 5, Paguia 2, Castro 2, Mejos 1, Mallari 0, Monteclaro 0.
Quarters: 21-23, 38-40, 56-52, 78-71

Sam Miguel
05-07-2013, 08:28 AM
^^^ As long as Raymond Almazan and Mark Cruz play well the rest of the team will be fine, and the Knights in general will remain competitive. Outside of Ola Adeogun of San Beda, Almazan is the best center now in the NCAA, Cruz is easily among the Top 5, if not Top 3 pointguards in the league. That means Letran already has the two most difficult positions in the game ably filled. I'd like to see more of Macjur Luib and Jon Belorio now that Kevin Alas and Jam Cortes are both gone.

Also, when are you expecting Kevin Racal back? Racal will take a lot of pressure off Almazan and Cruz on the offensive end, and helps anchor the perimeter defense for you guys. He needs to get back to 100% good health. If he can form a consistent Big 3 with Almazan and Cruz then Letran is a legit title contender.

knightrider
05-07-2013, 09:18 AM
EAC's Manga has a sweet shooting hand, quick, and good moves inside the paint. He is not tall nor beefy for an import. I agree with the opinion, that presently, Adeogun is the best among the current crop of imports playing in the NCAA.

bugleboy
05-07-2013, 09:37 AM
@Sam Miguel -- Racal should be ready by the time NCAA 89 comes around.

@knightrider -- Aside from Po, Almario was not fielded in. I agree with your choices for Team A. Of the rookies, Castro, Ruaya, and Tambeling should be shoo-ins. Publico should be able to make it back. So if we add these guys to Cruz, Nambatac, Luib, Racal, Pantin, Dysam, Almazan, Belorio, Gabawan and Quinto, we would have 14 guys who look like sure deals. I'm not sure who among Buenaflor, Requejo, Olotu, Po and Almario will make it to the final cut. I guess it's pretty sure now that Catipay will have to spend a lot more time in Team B.

With a prospective lineup like that, it looks like we will not have too many problems in scoring. However, we have to remember that NCAA 89 will be Almazan's last year (as well as Belorio's, I think), and without a replacement, we may end up with a doughnut team next year. Publico as full-time center will not be enough.

knightrider
05-07-2013, 10:58 AM
Gabawan can step in for Belorio once the latter graduates. Where is Gabriel? Has his eligibility expired, like sweet shooting Lithuania? Two years back, we had Andrei Mendoza "pirated" (get it?) from our neighbor Lyceum. He was a bruiser but played only for a year. I agree we need a biggie to replace Almazan. Prior to Alamazn, we had Jomar Datang at 6'6" or 6'7", was a work in progress, but unfortunately I heard he transitioned allegedly to "bangu-ngot" (acute hemorrhagic pancreatitis in medical parlance). He was a biggie too. God bless his soul.

bugleboy
05-07-2013, 09:06 PM
Re Gabriel, he has used up his eligibility. Mendoza (thankfully) returned to Lyceum. I guess the replacement for Almazan would be the reported transferee from UE. Haven't seen him yet, though.

dark_blue
05-08-2013, 12:01 PM
Asan na nga pala si Aldrin Serafica?

knightrider
05-08-2013, 06:38 PM
Asan na nga pala si Aldrin Serafica?

Where indeed? In season 87 FF game vs Benilde, when the Squires only had a complement of 10 (for the entire season at that), Serafica impressed me as a shoo-in for the seniors. But again, I saw only that game. But others in the know say he is good. Perhaps, he is still with the Squires?

bugleboy
05-08-2013, 11:44 PM
Oo nga ano. I have forgotten about Serafica. Bakit nga ba hindi i-angat itong batang ito? Last I heard, he was in the Knights' Team B. He may not be the ideal Almazan replacement (unless he has miraculously grown to around 6'7") but he will certainly shore up our frontline, which at this point is relatively thin. Unless, of course, Coach Caloy wants to play Gabawan or Ruaya as a smallish PF/C, a la Jam Cortes. In which case, Serafica may have a hard time cracking the lineup. If this is the case, then the final slot in the lineup may go to a combo guard (Buenaflor? Requejo? Almario?).

bugleboy
05-12-2013, 06:31 AM
Bautista's winner caps amazing UST fightback
By Mei-Lin Lozada
May 11, 2013, 04:17 pm
http://www.spin.ph/sports/basketball/news/bautista-game-winner-caps-amazing-ust-fightback

TATA Bautista capped University of Santo Tomas’ fightback from 17-points down by hitting the game-winning basket over Letran, 78-77, in the Filoil Flying V Pre Season Hanes Cup at The Arena in San Juan on Saturday.

Bautista was left open by the Knights’ defense in the final 3.7 seconds, enabling him to score the basket that lifted the Tigers – playing their second game is as many days - to the rousing win.

Bautista's game-winner highlighted a big comeback after UST found itself trailing, 52-69, in the fourth quarter.

“Down kami by 17, sabi ko sa players ko, ang hindi dumepensa bakla,” said UST coach Pido Jarencio. “Ayun dumepensa sila kaya Heman (super hero) sila."

Jarencio later castigated players Karim Abdul and Aljon Mariano for coming late for the game. Abdul arrived during the second half, while Mariano came with a minute to go in the first quarter.

“Walang Nora Aunor (superstar) sa team ko. FPJ lang at ako yun,” said the coach.

Mariano sparked the Tigers’ comeback following a timeout behind nine straight unanswered points to cut the deficit to 61-69.

The Tigers then finished off the Knights with a 17-8 run to clinch the victory, their third in five outings for a tie with the Knights.

The Knights jumped into that huge lead when they outscored the Tigers in the third quarter, 22-9.

“Nagkagulo kasi kami, nagkanya-kanya sa play," said Bautista on their poor third quarter scoring. "Di na kami sumusunod kay coach Pido, pero buti na lang bumawi kami sa fourth quarter."

Mariano finished with 18 points, including seven in UST's 9-0 run in the fourth, while Bautista had 17 and Kevin Ferrer chipped 15 for the Tigers, who also beat San Sebastian on Friday, 83-79.

Raymond Almazan led Letran with 17 markers, while Mark Cruz and Jamil Gabawan produced 13, respectively.

The scores:

UST (78) - Mariano 18, Bautista 17, Ferrer 15, Daquioag 9, Lo 6, Pe 4, Hainga 4, Tan 3, Gavia 2, Sheriff 0, Marata 0, Lao 0, Faundo 0.

Letran (77) - Almazan 17, Cruz 13, Gabawan 13, Nambatac 8, Buenaflor 7, Luib 6, Publico 4, Po 3, Castro 2, Ruaya 2, Dysam 2.

Quarterscores: 21-23; 43-39; 52-61; 78-77.

bugleboy
05-12-2013, 06:40 AM
We had a golden chance to win this game. No Abdul, no Jeric Teng. And we had them on the ropes at the beginning of the fourth quarter. Then UST tightened their defense, we had several crucial turnovers, plus the defensive lapses. It seemed that Almazan was pacing himself, not really playing defense. I counted at least three times when he turned his back on a UST shooter, when he was the last line of defense. Ayun, siyempre pasok ang tira ng UST. Despite performing at 60% though, Almazan still topscored. It was great seeing him run down on a fastbreak and finishing with a slam dunk. He had at least two in yesterday's game.

During the end-game too, if I were Coach Caloy, I would've put in Luib instead of Nambatac to handle the ball. Luib is a much better dribbler and rebounder, although we may sacrifice some in terms of offense. But then, perhaps Coach wanted the kid to learn how to handle himself during crunchtime. I'm hoping that Nambatac and the rest of the team will learn from this defeat. Memo to team: learn to hold a 17-point lead and win.

Bawi na lang next game.

knightrider
05-12-2013, 07:24 AM
This team is still a work in progress, albeit progressing leaps and bounds. We faced the UAAP runner-up and the PCL champs, a team with an almost intact line-up, but more notably, one with superb chemistry, having played together for a long time. They know how to get it done. On the other hand, our team is relatively new, with a lot of rookies (very good at that) who need more opportunities to play together. I'm happy with what I saw yesterday as they are close to getting there. The ball movement in the 3rd and 4th quarter was impressive with the offense hardly getting stuck (except when Dysam was playing PG. Again!)

This is one pre-season tournament where we are competitive. Unlike in the past, we now have a team with a much deeper rotation. I'm glad that Caloy is giving more playing time to the newbies.

The 17 point meltdown is a learning point for the team, to ensure it does not happen in the NCAA. Again, this is a team being built to its full potential. I still remember 3 seasons back when a similar meltdown happened in a crucial NCAA game vs Mapua. We were leading by double digits in the last 5 minutes when suddenly we forgot to defend our pants. And with that loss, we failed to make the FF.

BTW, we did have a chance to win the game on a play drawn out by Coach Caloy. The ball went into Nambatac's hands and, as expected, he drew the defense like a magnet. Then, a pinpoint pass to Mark Cruz who flubbed a 10 foot shot. Maybe he should have taken it from the 3 point area. Nambatac could have played hero-ball, drove to the basket to score or fish for a foul. But he could have also lost the ball. The fact he stayed true to the Coach's plan shows he is a coach-able superstar. Kevin Alas many times took matters into his own hands to the coach's chagrin. But with the father for a coach, he can get away with almost anything.

Rome wasn't built in a day but this team will be fully structured come July (hopefully!).

ESCALERA JR.
05-12-2013, 02:02 PM
We let this one slipped away. Losing by a point after leading by 17 is truly a heartbreaker. On the bright side, the team is starting to gel just in time for the coming NC season. Lesson learned...protect a double digit lead.

Letran Basketball. From a defense-oriented squad to a more offense-minded team. This has been the trademark during the Alas era. For many years our bread & butter centered on a low scoring game w/ defense as the key to winning, barely allowing the opposing team to score beyond the 70pt mark. It worked well enough to land us in the final 4 several times (13 seasons)and only missing the bus twice in 2002 and 2010.

But to be able to finally win them all, a team has to score as well. Defense alone can not do it. Nakakabusit din panoorin ang low scoring game na puros foul at masyadong physical ang laban. It takes away the excitement when the whistle blows to stop an otherwise free flowing game.

On the other hand registering higher points but letting the opposition to score at will ain't gonna do it eitherThe champion years of the Alas-coached teams of '98, '03, '05 and the '99 squad of Binky Favis were a compliment of both defense and offense.

Cris Calaguio of the circa 98 is a sweet shooting scoring machine while Kerby mans the middle, a scoring option as well. Then sophomore Ronjay Enrile in '03 burns the stats sheet w/ 30 plus pts on several games w/ the burly Jonathan Pinera. The 2005 is the complete team so far. Anyone can score in double digit without compromising the vaunted 40 mins of hell. The present day Knights have new scorers like Nambatac, John Quinto and comebacking Dysam...old reliables Almazan, cruz, the other kevin (time to step up KRAC)maybe we could do with 50/50. Meaning, once we establish a comfortable lead, lets reverse back to the old reliable D. If we get thru soonest, we will have a good run with Nambatac as the new cornerstone of the Knights in the next 5 seasons.

riou
05-13-2013, 01:55 AM
First time I watched a letran game this year during the fr martin game against csb and from that game and from this game, there we're big improvements in terms of passing the ball well and executing the offense. Natutuwa ako andami ng options and the rookies are really stepping up their game. Nanibago din ako from a 40 mins of hell jn defense to a shooting fest game with ust. Ni isang quarter hindi tayo umabot sa penalty. Bright future withthe knights siguro masasabi ko iapply padin ung stiff defense if kelangan gamitin para mamaintain ung big leads.

knightrider
05-13-2013, 07:07 AM
You're both right. As Coach Alas has said, offense wins games but its defense that wins championships.

bugleboy
05-16-2013, 07:29 AM
Misfiring UE Warriors still too good for Knights
By Reuben Terrado
May 15, 2013, 07:59 pm
http://www.spin.ph/sports/basketball/news/misfiring-ue-warriors-still-too-good-for-knights

UNIVERSITY of the East defeated Letran, 76-64, in a Filoil Flying V Hanes Premier Cup game Wednesday marred by poor shooting from both teams.

The Red Warriors came out victorious despite making only 22 of their 76 shots at The Arena in San Juan. Faring even worse were the Knights who hit only 16-of-62 from the field.

In all, both teams missed a hundred field goal attempts between them.

The Red Warriors improved their record to 3-2 in Group B, while the Knights evened their slate at 3-3.

Ironically, both teams also shot poorly from the foul line, where the Warriors finished 30-of-51 and the Knights 26-of-44.

“Hindi ako puwede mag-dahilan,” said UE coach Boysie Zamar, when asked if the team came out rusty following a week of training in Indonesia. “But we need games like this in our UAAP preparation.”

Chris Javier poured in 18 points and nine rebounds for the Red Warriors, who also got a double-double effort from Charles Mammie and Roi Sumang.

Mammie, the team’s import from Sierra Leone, had 11 points and 10 rebounds, while Sumang chipped in 10 points and 10 assists.

Ford Ruaya had 13 points for the Knights, who also got 11 from Fidel Castro.

Big man Raymund Almazan had seven points but was 0-for-7 from the field.

The Warriors were ahead 54-50 at the end of the third, but opened the final quarter with an 8-3 run.

With the Knights missing their free throws, the Warriors readily took advantage as Adrian Santos converted a three-point play for a 71-60 UE lead in the final 1:29

Letran went 6-of-12 from the foul line in the fourth.

After beating last season's NCAA runner-up, UE will next face UAAP runner-up University of Santo Tomas on Saturday for the first time since both teams figured in a fight-marred game in the MBL Open two months ago that saw the Tigers walk out of the match.

Group B senior standings: DLSU 4-0, Ateneo 6-1, UST 3-2, UE 3-2, Letran 3-3, San Sebastian 2-4, SWU 3-5, Lyceum 0-3, EAC 0-4.

The scores:

UE (76) -Javier 18, Mammie 11, Sumang 10, Santos 10, Olivarez 9, Casajeros 5, Sumido 4, Hernandez 4, Flores 4, Noble 1, Pujante 0, Bonleon 0, Galanza 0, Guion 0.

Letran (64) - Ruaya 13, Castro 11, Almazan 7, Gabawan 7, Cruz 6, Luib 6, Nambatac 5, Dysam 4, Publico 3, Tambeling 2, Po 0, Oluto 0, Almario 0.

Quarterscores: 15-14; 37-35; 54-50; 76-64.

---------
Terrible game by the Knights. Almazan looked visibly tired and irked, missing all his 7 attempts from the field, and making just 50% of his free throws (7 of 14). Mark Cruz made just 1 of 6 2-point attempts, although he was able to convert his lone 3-point shot. It seemed that he was concentrating more on orchestrating the offense; unfortunately, that didn't pan out too well as the rest of the team only converted 9 out of 32 2-point field goals and 5 out of 23 3-point shots (of course, less the Cruz attempts).

Bright points: Jamil Gabawan provided a lot of energy and shored up our rebounding figures (we were outrebounded 63-48 by the Warriors). Ford Ruaya and Fidel Castro also tried to fight back for the Knights, putting in 13 and 11 points, respectively. Ruaya even had a converted triple early in the second half. McJour Luib appeared to be getting his old shooting touch back, converting 2 of 4 triple tries. Rey Nambatac also tried to get things going with his outside shooting and penetrations, but unfortunately was stymied by foul trouble and was in and out of the game.

It seemed that the coaching staff was not that troubled by the results of this game, as they seemed intent on testing the newbies by giving them a lot of playing time. Extended minutes were given to JC Po, Almario, Tambeling to enable them to show what they've got. Of the three, only Tambeling was able to amount to anything, though.

Other notes: The team has to learn to play through bad calls and non-calls. It seemed that our key players Almazan and Cruz allowed themselves to be affected too much and this showed in their performance. To be sure, the calls were tight on both sides. We really should have taken advantage of the calls by sinking more of our free throws.

knightrider
05-16-2013, 09:50 AM
It was an ugly game. We came out flat. There was no rhythm. Niluluwa yung bola. The short semi hooks of Almazan all missed their mark. Though he got the moves, Nambatc's point blank shots did not go in. It seems that there was a lid put on our side of the basket throughout the game. (Note: Ex Squire John Noble missed a foul throw, committed a foul that gave two points to us. Another bum foul with 0.5 secs in the quarter for another two free throws for us. Somehow, I felt this Letranite was helping us form the other side of the fence). A lot of hand passes were intercepted. Parang kulang tayo sa focus at sa energy. It looks like the team was just going through the motions. Walang angas and sense of urgency, things you see in an Alas' coached game. The competitive spirit was shallow. Maraming ginamit na mga bago. Different combinations. Not many worked. Even Sir Oben (the face of the ex-Alumnos) left the game long before the final buzzer. When that happens, you know the game we played was really bad. Really an ugly game. The other side played as bad, pero tayo ang minalas, kasi tayo ang natalo.

bchoter
05-16-2013, 10:23 AM
I like how the coaching staff is mixing in the newbies with the vets. This will prove valuable in the long run

bugleboy
05-16-2013, 11:16 AM
@knightrider: I wouldn't worry too much about this loss. Mukhang iba talaga ang pakay ng coaching staff sa torneong ito -- extended tryouts, kung baga.

IIRC, we've lost big under Coach Louie, particularly in the pre-season. I remember last year in this same Fil Oil tourney, our intact team (with Kevin Alas, Cortes, Lituania, Almazan, Cruz, etc.) went up against Jeric Teng and the UST Tigers, and we got blown out by 17 points. Same lack of energy and lack of sense of urgency that we saw yesterday. According to Almazan in the Letran FB thread, masakit daw ang paa niya kaya hindi siya masyadong makagalaw kahapon. Also, we were giving him the ball too far from his comfort zone, allowing the UE guys time to bottle him up, thus forcing him to resort to those awful-looking hook shots.

@bchoter: I hope these things work out in the long run.

bugleboy
05-17-2013, 10:43 PM
Rookie Nambatac comes to Knights' rescue again
By Reuben Terrado
May 17, 2013, 03:14 pm
http://www.spin.ph/sports/basketball/news/rookie-nambatac-comes-to-knights-rescue-again

LETRAN leaned on rookie Rey Nambatac to beat Lyceum, 77-72, on Friday in the Filoil Flying V Hanes Premier Cup at The Arena in San Juan.

Nambatac had 16 points and eight rebounds to help the Knights get back on tract after their defeat to University of the East on Wednesday.

McJour Luib added 11 points and eight rebounds including 2-of-4 from beyond the three-point line for the Knights, who also averted a comeback by the Pirates late in the fourth quarter.

The Pirates were able to cut Letran’s lead to three points, 75-72, on a basket by Vergel Evangelista but by then, there was only three seconds left on the clock.

Franz Dysam added 10 points including a triple that allowed the Knights to post a 73-58 advantage in the fourth.

Lyceum remained winless after four games.

The scores:

Letran (77) – Nambatac 16, Luib 11, Dysam 10, Publico 9, Cruz 7, Oluto 6, Ruaya 5, Gabawan 5, Tambeling 3, Castro 3, Almario 1, Po 1, Requero 0.

Lyceum (72) – Zamora 17, Evangelista 13, Lesmoras 10, Azores 9, Taladua 6, Lacastesantos 6, Ko 6, Mendoza 4, Soliman 1, Francisco 0, Garcia 0, Edora 0.

Quarterscores: 16-22; 32-34; 56-50; 77-72.

-----------
Raymond Almazan today joined Kevin Buenaflor, Kevin Racal, and Jonathan Belorio in our growing list of the walking wounded, leaving our team with just Rey Publico, Ford Ruaya, Edward Olotu, and Jamil Gabawan to man our decimated frontline. It's good that our Liliputians were there to save the day, even managing to outrebound Lyceum, 54-50, in this game. To be sure, the Pirates are no giants; their PG Lesmoras is even smaller than Mark Cruz. But at least, we saw a different Knights team today, fighting for possessions and defending the basket, unlike in our previous two losses where we literally sleepwalked our way through the game.

Bright points: Very confident game from Luib and Nambatac, although Nambatac still tends to get trapped too often. But great effort from him to get the Knights out of the fire. Coach Caloy continued to give lots of playing time to the rarely used players. This time, it was Oluto's turn, and the boy gamely showed what he's got. It would help to tone down on the nerves, though. Franz Dysam showed more discipline this time around and actually made shots within rhythm.

Points to improve: Nambatac's ball-handling and three-point shooting, our ability to hold on to a lead (this time, we lost a 15-point lead in the fourth quarter when Coach Caloy pulled out the starters), our still inconsistent transition defense (Lyceum had 24 points off fastbreaks), and our below-par freethrow shooting (65% in this game).

But on the whole, it's good to win again. At least, we were able to sweep our NCAA foes.

knightrider
05-18-2013, 08:44 PM
@ bugleboy,
Pantin was absent in the games vs. UST and UE, and now vs LPU. AFAIK, he ain't among the walking wounded. Has he been given his walking papers?

bugleboy
05-18-2013, 11:12 PM
Nope, he's still there. DNP-CD lang nga.

bugleboy
05-27-2013, 09:15 PM
Well, that's it for the Fil Oil tourney:

Vosotros catches fire as La Salle slams quarterfinals door on Letran
By Mei-Lin Lozada
May 27, 2013, 08:00 pm
http://www.spin.ph/sports/basketball/news/vosotros-catches-fire-as-la-salle-slams-quarterfinals-door-on-letran

ALMOND Vosotros caught fire in the final quarter to power La Salle past Letran, 64-45, and book a quarterfinals berth in the Filoil Flying V Pre Season Hanes Premier Cup Monday at The Arena in San Juan.

Silent for the first three quarters, Vosotros came alive in the pivotal fourth by pouring 11 of his team-high 16 points. The senior playmaker personally made an 11-2 run for the Green Archers, highlighted by three straight triples that put La Salle beyond reach, 55-39, with 4:41 left to play.

“Unang shoot ko pa lang kasi pumasok na agad," said Vosotros afterwards. "Kaya sabi ko sa sarili ko pag open ako, i-shoot ko ulit."

The Green Archers improved to a 6-1 (win-loss) record and bounced back from a sorry 53-60 loss at the hands of the University of the East Warriors Saturday.

“We redeemed ourselves in today's game,” said Jason Perkins of the win. “Our game against UE wasn't our usual game. We were outplayed, outhustled. It was really hard for us to swallow.”

Jeron Teng came through with 11 points to compliment Vosotros offensively.

Mark Cruz was the lone player in double figures for Letran with 10 as the Knights formally bow out of contention even with an even 4-4 slate.

The scores

La Salle (64) -- Vosotros 16, Teng 11, Torres, N. 7, Van Opstal 6, Torres, T. 4, Reyes 4, Perkins 4, Bolick 4, Salem 4, Dela Paz 2, Paredes 2, Montalbo 0.

Letran (45) -- Cruz 10, Gabawan 8, Nambatac 7, Castro 7, Luib 4, Ruaya 3, Publico 2, Almazan 2, Almario 2, Pantin 0.

Quarterscores: 20-13; 30-25; 40-33; 64-45.

bugleboy
06-02-2013, 01:35 AM
With Ateneo's impending pull-out from the Fil Oil tourney, the Letran Knights now find themselves in the quarterfinals, along with UE, La Salle, and FEU. Funny how things turn out, huh? Let's see what happens in the coming days.

ESCALERA JR.
06-02-2013, 08:39 AM
Yehey!...Lucky break for the boys. Another week to run our plays in actual games, test the rookies, warm-up our veterans and earn
much needed exposure for the upcoming NCAA season89. Now that we're in the qtr finals, might as well make the most of it and make
another run to the semis...and maybe a mad rush at the filoil finals just like what we did in NC S88.
Arriba...

knightrider
06-02-2013, 06:14 PM
No thanks to ADMU, but we're in, so let's make the most of it - that means winning games henceforth.

It's a do or die game vs NU. Our team has been rolling over and dying in the last games of the tournament.
I'm tired of seeing a Knights team without the spunk, the "angas" and the"bangis" of old. Bring back the "Never give in, never give up!" mentality.

No more playing soft - let's lance the bulldogs come Wednesday. We are Knights, not court jesters!

No excuses (i.e., wala pang teamwork), no rationalizing (i.e., rebuilding mode pa tayo with a new coach) ...this team must be ready NOW! Only a win vs NU is acceptable!! Tryouts are over!!!

bugleboy
06-02-2013, 10:50 PM
Amen to that!

However, this NU team is the defending champion of this tournament, and is undefeated so far. They have Rayray Parks, two-time UAAP MVP, and a very good import in Alfred Aroga. In addition, they have a 6'6" guy (Rosario) who is very mobile and has a fine touch from the outside, and is an active rebounder as well. Who do we have to match up against them -- especially against Parks?

I'm not saying it's impossible to beat them, but if our Knights are to do so, then their intensity has to move up at least 10 notches. We know the abilities are there; it's just that so far, cohesiveness in teamwork has come in spurts. Having a slew of people in sickbay (like Racal, Belorio, Buenaflor and Oluto) does not help either. If we are to win this, our guys have to pour themselves totally into this. No more tryouts! No more experiments!

This NU team will play with a lot of spunk and pride. They will not give up the crown easily. It's either we go hard... or we just go home.

dark_blue
06-05-2013, 09:08 PM
NU def. Letran, 69-67

Breaks of the game!! Sayang yung clutch trey ni Nambatac. Kinulang lang tayo sa end-game execution.

Bonus na lang sa atin yung big swat ni big man Almazan kay Rayray Parks :D

Sam Miguel
06-06-2013, 08:31 AM
Lions, Bulldogs complete Final 4

By Jasmine W. Payo

11:46 pm | Wednesday, June 5th, 2013

San Beda rallied from 10 points in the last three minutes while National University also came from behind as the Lions and the Bulldogs completed yesterday the Final Four cast of the Filoil Flying V Hanes Premier Cup at Filoil Flying V Arena.

Baser Amer knocked in all his eight points in San Beda’s blistering 13-0 windup as the Lions slipped past the La Salle Green Archers, 66-63, while Alfred Aroga completed a three-point play with 24.5 seconds left to lift the Bulldogs past the Letran Knights, 69-67.

“Baser played badly in the first three quarters, but when we needed him, he stepped up,” coach Boyet Fernandez said after his Lions rallied from a 53-63 deficit in the last 3:50 minutes of play.

Aroga’s heroics preserved another superb all-around show by Ray Parks, who paced the Bulldogs with 16 points on top of three rebounds, four assists and a couple of blocks.

“I like the poise of the boys in the end,” said NU coach Eric Altamirano. “We were behind most of the game, yet in the most important moment, they were able to deliver.”

The Bulldogs, who stayed unbeaten in nine games, will clash with the Lions in the knockout semifinals at 4 p.m. tomorrow. University of the East and University of Santo Tomas collide in the other pairing at 2 p.m.

Arthur dela Cruz posted a double-double of 14 points and 11 rebounds to lead the Lions, while Rome dela Rosa added 12.

Jeron Teng gave La Salle a 63-53 advantage with 3:50 minutes to go but San Beda mounted a rally with Amer firing six straight points in the final minute.

Aroga’s three-point play gave the Bulldogs the lead, 68-67, and a Gelo Alolino free throw made it 69-66 with 4.6 seconds left.

The Knights tried to forge overtime, but NUs Troy Rosario blocked Ford Ruaya’s attempt at the buzzer.

The scores:

First Game

NU 69—Parks 16, Alolino 13, Rosario 12, Aroga 9, Villamor 8, Roño 5, De Guzman 3, Mbe 2, Javillonar 1, Alejandro 0.

LETRAN 67—Cruz 16, Nambatac 11, Almazan 10, Gabawan 8, Castro 8, Ruaya 6, Luib 5, Dysam 3, Buenaflor 0, Publico 0, Po 0, Pantin 0.

Quarters: 19-22, 43-37, 56-58, 69-67

Second Game

SAN BEDA 66—Dela Cruz 14, Dela Rosa 12, Koga 11, Amer 8, Adeogun 7, Pascual 4, D. Semerad 4, Abarcar 2, Semerad 2, Sara 2, Villaruz 0.

LA SALLE 63—Vosotros 16, Teng 15, N. Torres 10, Van Opstal 10, Perkins 6, Revilla 3, T. Torres 2, G. Reyes 1, Bolick 0, Montalbo 0, M. Reyes 0, Dela Paz 0.

Quarters: 17-14, 33-26, 46-53, 66-63

bugleboy
06-07-2013, 06:29 AM
Masakit ang pagkatalong ito. We were leading until the last 25 seconds, but then NU's Alejandro made a brilliant pass to a cutting Aroga under the basket for a twinner and 1. We had the tying or winning shot in our hands twice but flubbed both attempts.

Still, props to the Knights for playing their all in this game. Almazan appeared to have recovered from whatever was ailing him and dominated both imported centers of NU. But that block on a driving Parks was particularly sweet!

Mark Cruz was brilliant, orchestrating plays and scoring even against the defense of Parks. Nambatac got great looks from the outside and buried at least two of his treys, the last one being our go-ahead basket in the last minute of play. Luib and Gabawan also had significant spot minutes; ditto for Ruaya and Fidel Castro.

On the whole, the Knights played well precisely because they were relaxed and had their full attention on the game. Here's hoping we can put all these learnings to good use in the NCAA.

bchoter
06-07-2013, 11:29 AM
As long as Mark Cruz and Almazan are playing, you will always have a chance against any team but props to Coach Caloy for loosening up the offense while maintaining the defensive focus cultivated during coach Louie Alas's term.

bugleboy
11-30-2013, 11:45 AM
Knights versus Growling Tigers on Dec. 2 for a place in the PCCL Elite Eight. I'm not too hopeful about this one, especially since Almazan will not be playing for us and Karim Abdul will suit up for UST. But then, who knows? Gabawan and Publico may yet surprise us here. And we may pull out a win here like last time in the Dominicans Collide charity event. :)

Laban lang! Arriba!

bugleboy
12-02-2013, 05:51 PM
Well, that's the way the ball bounces.

The Tigers -- courtesy of Clark Bautista and Kevin Ferrer -- lit up the court with trey after trey in the fourth quarter, while we went pffft. Result? A 77-60 victory for UST over Letran in the PCCL Sweet 16 matchup. It seemed like UST did not want to let go of its national title that easily, so they notched up their efforts starting the third quarter, and finished this game pulling away.

Back to the drawing board. Let's use this game as a learning experience and move from there. The good news was, Publico and Gabawan actually played well, and supported Cruz and Racal in scoring. But their best, alas, was still not enough to contain Karim Abdul.

Thanks, Knights. Rest now; see you again in the pre-season tourneys next year.

bugleboy
01-10-2014, 08:46 AM
Hog’s Breath Cafe back on track after win over BDO-NU
By Celest R. Flores
INQUIRER.net
6:16 pm | Thursday, January 9th, 2014

MANILA, Philippines — Hog’s Breath Cafe returned to winning ways with an 87-80 win over Banco De Oro-National University Thursday in the 2014 PBA D-League Aspirants’ Cup.

Coming off a three-game tailspin, the Razorbacks finally got their acts together against the also-ran Bulldogs and tied with Jumbo Plastic at 8-3.

“I’m happy that slump is finally over. Today we focus on rebounding and we also got everybody involved,” said Hog’s Breath head coach Caloy Garcia.

Hog’s Breath Cafe set the tone early then stretched their 48-41 halftime lead to as big as 23 points, 69-46, midway the third period.
Philipp Paniamogan scored 12 of his team-best 15 points in the second period while Ford Ruaya poured most of his 11 in the third quarter. Billy Robles added 12.

Jethroy Rosario and Bobby Ray Parks Jr., meanwhile, combined for 44 points for BDO-NU, which picked up its seventh defeat in eight games.

bugleboy
01-22-2014, 09:56 AM
PBA D-League: Razorbacks go on blistering run late to beat Elite
By Mark Giongco
INQUIRER.net
5:17 pm | Tuesday, January 21st, 2014

MANILA, Philippines — Hog’s Breath Café went on a telling run at the finish to beat Blackwater Sports, 73-63, in the 2014 PBA D-League Aspirants Cup Tuesday at the Trinity University of Asia gym in Quezon City.

The Razorbacks closed the game on a 16-2 blast in the final four minutes after trailing 57-61 to improve to 9-3 and move into solo fourth place for the last twice-to-beat edge in the quarterfinals.

Kevin Racal scored 14 points while Philip Paniamogan and Jamil Gabawan chipped in 10 each for Hog’s Breath, which gained a one game lead after Cagayan Valley took a 68-76 loss to Cebuana Lhuillier earlier.

Adamson star Jericho Cruz had 14 points and guard Allan Mangahas added 13 for the Elite, who suffered their second straight setback and are now on the verge of missing the playoffs with a 6-5 card.

The scores: (from spin.ph)

Hog’s Breath Café (73) – Racal 14, Gabawan 10, Sanga 10, Paniamogan 9, Terso 9, Austria 5, Publico 4, Ruaya 4, Pasculado 4, Rios 4, Allera 0, Macasaet 0, Belorio 0.

Blackwater Sport (63) – Cruz 14, A. Mangahas 13, Bulawan 9, Austria 7, Ferrer 6, Llagas 6, Ciriacruz 5, Acibar 3, Reyes 0, Bagatsing 0, Pe 0.
Quarterscores: 16-14; 33-27; 48-53; 73-63.

bugleboy
01-31-2014, 12:34 AM
Knights contributed to Hog's Breath's win over Big Chill in the PBA D-League game last Jan. 30. Belorio had 10; Racal, 8; Publico and Gabawan had 6 each; and Ruaya had 2.

http://www.spin.ph/sports/basketball/news/rios-stars-as-hogs-breath-cafe-foils-big-chills-bid-for-no.-1-spot

bugleboy
02-05-2014, 10:55 AM
Big win by Kevin Racal and Hog's Breath Cafe! On to the semis! Too bad, though, for Mark Cruz and Cagayan Valley.

Box scores from spin.ph:

Hog’s Breath Café (82) – Racal 15, Rios 12, Austria 10, Allera 10, Gabawan 9, Paniamogan 9, Ruaya 5, Sanga 5, Macasaet 3, Terso 3, Belorio 1, Publico 0.

Cagayan Valley (79) – Celada 21, Ighalo 11, Trollano 9, Cruz 9, Juico 7, Pinto 6, Melano 6, Bringas 6, Galliguez 4, Mabulac 0, Collado 0, Foronda 0.

Quarterscores: 11-14; 27-40; 58-63; 82-79.

bugleboy
02-11-2014, 09:34 AM
Kevin vs. Kevin today, as Hog's Breath battles NLEX in the first game of the PBA D-League semis.

http://www.spin.ph/sports/basketball/news/nlex-downplays-favorite-tag-in-semifinal-clash-with-hogs-breath

bugleboy
02-12-2014, 10:06 AM
K-Ace and the NLEX Road Warriors thumped K-Racs and the Razorbacks, 99-74. Coach Caloy took a page from Coach Yeng's playbook and got himself ejected for excessive complaining.

Scores from Inquirer.net:

NLEX 99—Lanete 23, Ganuelas 14, Alas 12, J. Pascual 11, Dela Rosa 9, Adeogun 8, R. Pascual 8, Hermida 5, Raymundo 4, K. Pascual 4, Long 1, Dela Cruz 0, Koga 0, Amer 0.

HOG’S BREATH CAFE 74—Publico 13, Ruaya 11, Sanga 10, Allera 9, Gabawan 7, Paniamogan 7, Racal 6, Robles 5, Austria 4, Rios 2, Macasaet 0, Belorio 0, Terso 0.

Quarters: 31-12, 45-26, 71-45, 99-74

bugleboy
02-24-2014, 06:47 AM
Arriba, Kevin Alas!

NLEX withstands Big Chill on heroics by Alas, Ganuelas
By Celest R. Flores
INQUIRER.net
5:43 pm | Sunday, February 23rd, 2014

MANILA, Philippines — Buoyed by the heroics of Kevin Alas and Matt Ganuelas, NLEX withstood a late charge by Big Chill, 79-75, Sunday in game 1 of the PBA D-League Aspirants’ Cup finals at the Smart Araneta Coliseum.

Alas finished 17 points and knocked down five crucial points, while Ganuelas added 13 to bail out the Road Warriors, who wasted a 65-50 edge.

Big Chill, which is seeking its first title, slowly clawed back and pulled within 65-68 on a 3-pointer by Quinton Heruela with still 3:55 left in the game.

But Alas answered with a layup in traffic back-to-back with a transition basket from Matt Ganuelas to push the lead to seven.

Brondial made it a four-point game twice at 68-72 and 70-74 but Alas unleashed a marginal 3-pointer to seal the win with 38 seconds left.

“I told you this will be a tough series. But I’m pleased the guys kept their poise when Big Chill rallied late in the game,” said NLEX coach Boyet Fernandez.

Big Chill’s defense held Garvo Lanete to just four points but the Superchargers found no answer for Alas and Ganuelas, who combined for 14 of the NLEX’s 21 points in the fourth quarter.

“Kevin is already ripe for the PBA. He got us going when Big Chill made run. His 3-point shot late in the game was huge. Matthew also played well. I thought he is starting to play comfortably at the four spot.”

The Road Warriors can wrap up the series and clinch their fifth championship with another victory in Game 2 of the best-of-three series.

The schedule of Game 2 depends on the outcome of Game 5 of the PBA Philippine Cup Finals between San Mig Coffee and Rain or Shine.
Should San Mig Coffee clinch the title Sunday, Game 2 will be on Tuesday at 3 p.m. at The Arena in San Juan. Should Rain or Shine extend the series to a Game 6, the next game of Aspirants’ Cup finals will be held at 4:15 on Wednesday at the Smart Araneta Coliseum

bugleboy
02-27-2014, 01:26 PM
Congratulations to NLEX and Kevin Alas!

Scores from spin.ph:

NLEX (88) – J. Pascual 17, Adeogun 12, Lanete 10, Dela Cruz 9, Ganuelas 8, Alas 8, Dela Rosa 7, R. Pascual 7, K. Pascual 4, Long 3, Hermida 3, Raymundo 0.

Big Chill (70) – Maiquez 18, Apinan 10, Baloria 9, Heruela 9, Cervantes 5, Mirza 5, Belleza 5, Brondial 5, Lozada 3, Canlas 1, Villahermosa 0, Santos 0, Miranda 0.

Quarterscores: 21-22; 41-39; 72-52; 88-70.

bugleboy
04-11-2014, 11:28 AM
Mahirap-hirap na laban ito. Pero laban lang! Arriba!

3 champs draw tough Filoil group

4:30 am | Thursday, April 10th, 2014
http://sports.inquirer.net/149820/3-champs-draw-tough-filoil-group

Three varsity champions will clash early in a tough group when the Filoil Flying V Hanes Premier Cup unfolds on April 23.
UAAP champion La Salle, four-time NCAA king San Beda and Cebu Schools Athletic Foundation Inc. (Cesafi) titlist University of Visayas got bunched together in Group A of the premier summer league that drew a record 21 teams.

The three reigning champions will battle in a single round-robin with other Group A teams Letran, University of the East and Cebu-based teams Southwestern U and University of San Carlos.

Far Eastern U leads Group B squads Perpetual Help, Mapua, Lyceum, Emilio Aguinaldo, St. Clare and the Under-18 National Youth Team, which will compete in the tournament as part of their buildup for the Fiba Worlds.

Squaring off in Group C are National U, San Sebastian, Jose Rizal U, University of the Philippines, Centro Escolar, St. Benilde and Holy Trinity. - Jasmine W. Payo

gfy
04-12-2014, 06:20 AM
Stupid yun gumawa ng mga brackets. Imagine Group A with both the UAAP and NCAA champions, Letran and all the Cebu teams...

bugleboy
04-12-2014, 08:07 AM
My sentiments, exactly. But as I wrote above, sige lang. Laban lang. This may just help develop team chemistry much more quickly. Sana.

gfy
04-12-2014, 09:32 AM
The teams in Group A will play against one another. That should be exciting. But the quarters and semis and finals will already be anticlimactic...

bugleboy
04-16-2014, 06:52 AM
Apparently, the basketball gods heard you, gfy.

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/356813/sports/campussports/filoil-flying-v-premier-cup-adjusts-groupings

ESCALERA JR.
04-18-2014, 01:48 PM
We are a doughnut team entering this Filoil tournament. Wala pang balitang replacement sa #5 position...then how could we compete ngayon wala na si Almazan and Belorio? The NC season is just 2 short months away. Dadaanin na lang ba ulit sa umaatikabong D, the ever reliable trademark instilled by coach Louie na depensa, hustle from our small but quick guards and most importantly...PUSO? I guess we'll find out very soon.

bugleboy
04-21-2014, 04:59 PM
Escalera Jr., so far, our purported additions per news reports are Saldua (6'5"), Apreku (6'3"), Singontiko (6'2"-6'3") and Quinto (6'0"). Not sure, though, if the news reports are correct as there are other promising guys waiting on the wings.

But you're right. No real replacement for Almazan. Belorio, though, can be replaced by Ruaya and Gabawan. Apreku will be an additional guy in our frontline, but I think he is a one-and-done type of player because of his age. Thus, the problem will remain even after this year unless we are able to find an Almazan-like center -- more so because I think this will also be Ruaya's final year.

Quinto, even though he played center in HS, is too small to play this position in college. At best, he will be a 2/3, assuming that he has improved his handles. We all know he can shoot, so at least there's that. Singontiko, despite his height, looks more comfortable playing as guard rather than as a Racal replacement at 3, so we'll see how he'll turn out.

I guess we'll get our first look come this Saturday. Unfortunately, I won't be able to watch as this thing called work will get in the way, so I'll have to rely on Twitter to get live feeds. Maybe knightrider can give us an analysis the day after.

Big Ticket
04-21-2014, 05:54 PM
Reports say that tambeling is also out due to academics and buenaflor due to an injury...

ESCALERA JR.
04-26-2014, 06:13 PM
Read the latest update on our game against the RL via fb...a 3pt loss, 2Ot!? Was not expecting it to be this close wala naman tayong big guy to man the middle pero dikit pa din yung laban?. Bugleboy pa update naman.

bugleboy
04-26-2014, 08:37 PM
Sorry, Escalera Jr. I wasn't able to watch the game as I was neck-deep in work. Pagtiyagaan na lang muna natin ito:

San Beda outlasts Letran after two OTs in Filoil opener
By Celest R. Flores
INQUIRER.net
6:58 pm | Saturday, April 26th, 2014

MANILA, Philippines—No one gave an inch on the floor for 50 minutes, and yet it was only their first game in the pre-season.
Rivals San Beda and Letran picked up where they left off the last NCAA finals and battled for five intense quarters with the Red Lions surviving, 99-96, in the 2014 Filoil Flying V Hanes Premier Cup.

“We fought and played heart. We’re happy we came out with the win. I know they’re tired but their lion heart is there,” said head coach Boyet Fernandez.

San Beda trailed Letran for most of the match, no thanks to its 15-28 second period production. But it was an entirely different story after the Red Lions caught up in the payoff period.

No side led by more than six points in the last six minutes of regulation and by more than three in the extra periods, but San Beda got a huge break with Letran’s top five scorers all fouling out.

A 6-0 run from the Red Lions gave them the lead for good en route to their first win with 1:08 left in second OT as Baser Amer took over and accounted for half of that run.

Amer finished with 28 points on 9-of-13 field goal shooting and 11-of-16 freethrows, along with seven boards, three assists and two steals.

NCAA finals MVP Art Dela Cruz added 21 points and 11 rebounds for the Red Lions, who attempted 50 from the stripe.
San Beda got 11 of its last 18 points in regulation from freebies, which gave them a 78-76 lead with 43.4 seconds left.

Veteran forward Kevin Racal tied the game and sent it into OT on a fastbreak layup off a swipe by Mark Cruz with 12.3 ticks to play.
Racal also extended the match to another OT with two freebies, but fouled out with two minutes left in that extension.

Cruz led the Knights’ valiant effort with 18 points, Ford Ruaya added 18, Rey Nambatac and Jamik Gabawan 11 each, and Racal nine, but all didn’t get to finish the match.

The Knights, who got badly beat in the offensive glass, 6-25, always managed to get the upper hand in both overtimes, but failed sustain the momentum.

bugleboy
04-26-2014, 08:54 PM
Scores from spin.ph:

San Beda (99) – Amer 28, Dela Cruz 21, Adeogun 13, A. Semerad 8, Sara 7, Pascual 6, Abarcar 6, Ludovice 3, Cabanag 2, Mendoza 2, Mocon 2, Koga 1, D. Semerad 0, Tongco 0, Estrada 0.

Letran (96) – Cruz 18, Ruaya 12, Nambatac 11, Gabawan 11, Racal 9, Publico 8, Quinto 7, Luib 6, Saldua 4, Singontiko 4, Dela Pena 4, Apreku 2, Castro 0, Pantin 0, Po 0.

Quarterscores: 24-20; 39-48; 52-62; 78-78; 91-91; 99-96.

ESCALERA JR.
04-27-2014, 08:27 AM
I can see Quinto finally re-joining with his other Jrs star mvp ReyNambatac...magkakasama na uli ang mga dating Squires Cruz and Luib. Sayang may nakawalang isa...yung wide-bodied and burly Villanueva (am not sure of his name) I googled rookie Daryl Singontiko...looks very impressive. Hopefully he can jell with the other rookies in the team come June.

Initially, I had serious doubts how the team can compete without Almazan, same way I thought when KevinAlas left last year....pero as usual, our Knights still springing up surprises, always playing gallantly. With the way things unfolded in last nights game, patuloy pa rin umaariba ang mga kabalyeros ng Intramuros. If only we could have another BIG guy just to neutralize Ola, we are in for another run in the Finals. Abangan.

Big Ticket
04-27-2014, 03:28 PM
Read the latest update on our game against the RL via fb...a 3pt loss, 2Ot!? Was not expecting it to be this close wala naman tayong big guy to man the middle pero dikit pa din yung laban?. Bugleboy pa update naman.

Leading pa kayo ng double digits in the middle quarters....kinapos lang nun dulo...

bugleboy
04-28-2014, 08:53 PM
Looking at the Letran-San Beda Filoil match
By Rick Olivares, Unblogged Sports (philstar.com) | Updated April 28, 2014 - 2:13pm

MANILA, Philippines – It’s just the preseason, but the way these two teams played it was as if it was for the championship. It took two overtimes to decide it in the Red Lions’ favor.

Pulsating. Riveting. And as always, intense. If you paid money to watch last Saturday’s opening of the Filoil Flying V Hanes Premier Cup, this match alone was worth the price of admission.

I know it’s just the preseason but nevertheless, here are some thoughts:

San Beda’s winning ways no longer surprise me. Even for a team that isn’t bristling with the weaponry it once head, they can still put up the points.

What surprised me honestly was Letran.

No Raymond Almazan. No Jonathan Belorio. No John Tambeling. And No Franz Dysam. Well, they just keep on ticking.

The hustle, energy and never-say-die spirit continue for this team of – with all due respect here – no names. Maybe Rey Nambatac is the closest to a big name coming out of Letran high school as not much was expected of Mark Cruz, who people didn’t think would do well in college.

But Cruz is one of those best pound-for-pound players who seemingly can get a shot of against anyone.

It’s tough that Letran lost three key players in Nambatac, Cruz and Kevin Racal to foul trouble but the guys left on the floor were pretty good. Rey Publico had potential last year but this year, yowza! Imagine if he weren’t in foul trouble as well.

Jamil Gabawan is one of my favorite college players. He’s one of those classic Letran tough guys who does not flinch, does all the dirty work, and has terrific game. He paired with Belorio last year in doing all of that but it looks like this year, he has another tag team partner in Ian Dela Peña who has a good medium range shot. Ola Adeogun could not push him back at all! That left me shaking my head. He tried several times but couldn’t do so.

The other newbies – Daryll Singkontiko and Chester Saldua – aren’t so bad at all. They can shoot and are the active sort.

Felix Apreku could be in the mold of George Allen; one of those wondrous under-sized Perpetual Help Altas forwards of several years ago. Could be a defensive stopper with loads of hustle and speed.

They were too far behind in rebounds – 57-41 to San Beda. So they need to gang rebound. But without that man in the middle to guard the likes of Ola Adeogun they’ll be in foul trouble a lot.

Letran has never been one to marshal their fouls because of their physical game. I am not even venturing about changing their style of play. They found a style they are comfortable with and it works for them. But foul trouble is something they do not need especially with their thin front line corps.

Furthermore, I am not sure if it’s a good idea to put Rey Nambatac on Baser Amer. Letran needs his offense to complement Mark Cruz. Singkontiko and Saldua will score but we’re not sure if they can be consistent in their play. So Nambatac and Kevin Racal – especially Kevin Racal – need to play better.

For San Beda to win it all again, they will need their entire team to chip in. Aside from Amer, the only one who can put points on the board on a regular basis are Art dela Cruz and Adeogun. Francis Abarcar could be that fourth scoring option. This kid can quarterback and can also hit big shots. It is his misfortune that those big minutes are eaten up by Baser.

Head coach Boyet Fernandez said that he didn’t play his rookies during crunch time with that game really close. But we can expect others like Radge Tongco and Javee Mocon get more playing time. Mocon can be that guy to replace Rome dela Rosa if the Semerad brothers do not play well.

The game of the Semerad brothers seems to have gone down after their first two years. Anthony played well in this match. David needs to pick it up some. Because if the brothers do – I don’t see any NCAA team stopping them.

Remember this is just the preseason. And this is just my take away from that match

bugleboy
05-04-2014, 07:37 AM
We live, we learn.

Tolomia, Cruz heat up as Tams trample Knights
By AARON VALDEZ May 3, 2014 8:20pm
http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/359473/sports/campussports/filoil-tolomia-cruz-heat-up-as-tams-trample-knights

The FEU Tamaraws charged to their third straight win, demolishing the Colegio de San Juan de Letran Knights 85-75 on Saturday, at the FilOil Flying V Arena in San Juan.

The Knights emerged out of a third quarter deadlock and took the lead early in the fourth, but Carl Bryan Cruz’ heroics saved the day for his side, as he sank three crucial triples late to give FEU the lead for good.

Guard Mike Tolomia anchored the team’s offense with 17 points and nine assists, while Cruz cashed in 16 points, 15 of them coming from downtown, while adding nine rebounds. FEU lorded over the rebounding department with 45 rebounds and dished out 23 assists as a unit.

“This is very different from the setup of the UAAP,” said FEU head coach Nash Racela. “It’s for us coaches to know the players na meron kami. We’re going through the same period na dinaanan namin last year with regards to knowing our players better. Siguro kalahati ng team namin bago.”

“Nakita ko nalilibre yung four namin [Cruz] so hindi ko siya pinipilit na ipasok sa loob, ginamit ko yung openings,” said Mike Tolomia.

“Sa offense namin, good spacing kaya ako nakatsamba sa tres,” said Carl Cruz.

This is the Tams’ third straight win, having defeated the Mapua Cardinals and the RP Youth U18 team earlier this week.

Tolomia and his comrades rallied to a hot start, leading 16-11 by the time Letran head coach Caloy Garcia pressed for time. Letran had trouble getting through FEU’s pesky defense, though five straight points from Jamil Gabawan and Mark Cruz brought the Knights within striking distance, 18-15.

The Tams’ big men took charge early in the second, as Mac Belo, Raymark Jose, and Russell Escoto all chipped in two points to extend the lead to seven. The lead reached its peak at 11 points after Cruz hit a triple to make it a 32-21 ballgame. Letran, staying true to form, went on a 10-3 run to cut the lead to 35-31 before heading to the second half.

At the break, Tolomia and Escoto paced their team with eight points apiece, the former having four assists in 11 minutes of play. Raymar Jose followed suit with six points. The Tams converted seven points off seven turnovers and dominated the boards, 24-15.

Racal topped the Knights in the scoring department at the half with eight, followed by Ruaya with six and Nambatac with five. They converted nine out of 17 shots from within the arc but shot dismally from long-range, making only two out of 15 tries.

Mark Cruz sizzled in the third quarter, scoring eight points in the first five minutes to bring them within a point, 44-43. Letran finally stole the lead off freebies after the Tams entered a penalty situation early, 51-50. The final three minutes featured four lead changes until Pogoy and Saldua traded baskets to forge a tie heading to the fourth frame.

The Knights scored 10 straight points early in the fourth, as Cruz’ triple gave them a 67-63 edge over the Tams. The Tams’ own Cruz was not to be outdone, and swished in his own triples, the third of which gave them an 80-72 lead late in the fourth. The Knights tried to convert but ended up creating turnovers, and free throws for Tolomia, who cemented the win for FEU, 85-75.

Jose added 12 points for the Tams, making six of his nine shots while Escoto chipped in with 10, making five of his six attempts.

Mark Cruz scattered 20 points on 14 shots, while Kevin Racal and Ray Nambatac had 10 apiece. The Knights lost in every other area save for the stripe, where they netted 26 out of 31 tries.

The Tamaraws (3-0) take on the Lyceum of the Philippines Pirates (2-0) on Wednesday, May 7 at 12:30pm while the Knights (0-2) seek to improve their standing next Friday as they square off against the winless Mapua Cardinals (0-2) on May 9 at 4pm - RAF, GMA News

The scores:

FEU – Tolomia 17, Cruz 16, Jose 12, Escoto 12, Belo 8, Inigo 6, Pogoy 6, Hargrove 3, Tamsi 3, Ugsang 2, Delfinado 2, David 0 Lee Yu 0, Padilla 0, Dennison 0, Belga 0

CSJL – Cruz 20, Racal 10, Nambatac 10, Ruaya 9, Singontiko 7, Publico 6, Saldua 6, Gabawan 5, Apreku 2, Quinto 0, Luib 0, Castro 0, Aquino 0, Dela Pena 0

Quarter Scoring: 18-15, 35-31, 57-57, 85-75

bugleboy
05-10-2014, 07:07 AM
Good win by the Knights over the MIT Cardinals yesterday, despite the absence of Mark Cruz and Rey Nambatac.

FilOil: Short-handed Knights shoot down Cardinals
By AARON VALDEZMay 9, 2014 4:50pm
http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/360333/sports/campussports/filoil-short-handed-knights-shoot-down-cardinals

The Colegio de San Juan de Letran rode to their first win of the FilOil Flying V Premier Cup, subduing the Mapua Cardinals 81-77 on Friday at the FilOil Flying V Arena in San Juan.

McJour Luib stepped up for the Knights, scoring 18 points and playing point guard for long stretches for his squad. Forward Kevin Racal dropped 16 points and grabbed seven boards, leading a scrappy frontline over the likes of Jesse Saitanan and Joseph Eriobu.

The NCAA runners-up were at Mapua's mercy for most of the game, but pulled together a 24-12 fourth quarter to grab the lead late and snare the W. The Knights managed to secure the victory despite playing without Mark Cruz and Ray Nambatac, who were respectively suffering from a pulled hamstring and an injured shooting arm.

"Entering the game we were without Nambatac and Cruz. I gave breaks to the other players because our purpose in the FilOil is to get more experience heading to the NCAA," said Letran coach Caloy Garcia. "We're not really a big team. We have lots of improvements but we need to improve because we cannot be complacent. We were down by 10 with six minutes into the game. Hindi ko naman sila sinisigawan, sila yung nagkusa na manalo, they pushed themselves."

Despite their lack of size, Luib said their forwards were key in getting the win. "Nag-stick lang kami sa plano ni Coach na ipasa sa mga big man kasi nalilibre sila off the pick-and-roll," he said.

"Si [Fidel] Castro and si [Felix] Apreku, I didn't use them for three quarters but in the fourth quarter they came up big," added Garcia. "We just became more aggressive on defense and we were rebounding in the last quarter of the game."

Without Cruz, the Knights had trouble generating offense, relying on half court sets, while the Cardinals leaned on fast break baskets to get going. Letran gained separation after LJ Aquino hit a triple to give them a six-point lead. Mapúa rallied to tie the game, but Kevin Racal canned a trey from the top of the key to give his squad a 19-16 lead after the first quarter.

Letran led by as much as five early but Josan Nimes and Jessie Saitanan kept clawing back for the Cardinals, keeping them within deadlocks or a one-point deficit. Letran lived off open jump shots while Mapua still ran the break at every opportunity, though a three-pointer from Luib gave the Knights a 34-32 lead. The Cardinals however went on an 8-0 run to wrap up the first half, as Mapúa carried a 39-34 advantage to the second half.

Nimes' drive-and-dish game was in full swing at the start of the half, converting turnovers to points by finding the open man on the break as the lead reached it's zenith, 50-39. Letran had to distribute minutes at the point to three different people, with Racal, Luib, and Daryl Singontiko all playing floor general. The Knights cut the lead to just four points but the Cardinals took advantage of the penalty situation and shot their way to a 65-56 lead heading to the fourth frame.

The Knights punished the Cardinals' lackadaisical defense in the fourth, going on an 11-2 run which swung the lead and the momentum their way, 77-76, as they led for the first time after two quarters. Luib, who had the hot hand from the perimeter, sank a jumper over Andrew Estrella, and Felix Apreku converted on a second-chance opportunity to give them an 81-77 lead with a minute remaining. Rey Cantos failed to convert on two good looks and Letran dribbled out their first win, 81-77.

Nimes tallied 24 points, nine rebounds, and six assists in a losing effort. Estrella recorded 13 points, eight rebounds and three assists while Saitanan logged 13 points and seven rebounds. The Cardinals beat the Knights in every category but slumped offensively in the final quarter, posting only 12 points.

The Knights (1-2) joust with Dexter Zamora and the LPU Pirates (2-1) next Friday at 12:30pm while the Cardinals (0-3) take on Group B linchpins and NCAA Champions San Beda (3-0) next Saturday, May 17 at 4pm. - JDL, GMA News

The scores:
CSJL 81 - Luib 18, Racal 16, Publico 8, Saldua 6, Quinto 6, Castro 6, Pantin 4, Gabawan 4, Apreku 4, Requejo 3, Singontiko 3, Aquino 3, Rusya 0, Vasquez 0, Dela Pena 0

MIT 77 - Nimes 24, Estrella 13, Saitanan 13, Eriobu 11, Cantos 9, Villasenor 6, Canaynay 1, Layug 0, Guzman 0

Quarter scoring: 19-16, 34-39, 57-65, 81-77

bugleboy
05-21-2014, 05:01 PM
Whew. Seems that we survived St. Clare by the skin of our teeth: 83-79. Next up: Lyceum on Friday. Let's see if the Knights' luck holds.

Letran survives scare from St. Clare to even record in preseason tournament
May 21, 2014, 04:30 pm

JAMIL Gabawan hit the go-ahead basket to help Letran survive St. Clare College, 83-79, on Wednesday in the Filoil Flying V Hanes Premier Cup at The Arena in San Juan.

A deflection off Rey Nambatac landed straight to Gabawan, who hit a basket with 13 seconds to play to break a 79-all deadlock.

“Napakagandang play,” said Gabawan, smiling.

Letran now has an even 2-2 win-loss card to grab fourth spot in Group B, with Far Eastern University and San Beda occupying the top spot with a 5-0 card.

St. Clare took a 75-73 lead on a Jason Ibay free throw, but Gabawan leveled the score with a jumper with 1:09 left.

Although it was too close for comfort, Letran coach Caloy Garcia said they could learn a lot from such games.

More here: http://www.spin.ph/sports/basketball/news/letran-survives-scare-from-st-clare-filoil-preseason-tournament-jamil-gabawan

bugleboy
05-21-2014, 05:11 PM
Hmmm. But then, it seems that Racal didn't play in the St. Clare game.

bugleboy
05-22-2014, 09:48 AM
A more exhaustive report from GMA:

FilOil: Knights take one over Saints, stay in quarterfinals hunt
By AARON VALDEZ
May 21, 2014 3:57pm
http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/361990/sports/campussports/filoil-knights-take-one-over-saints-stay-in-quarterfinals-hunt

The Colegio De San Juan de Letran Knights picked up their second win in the FilOil Flying V-Hanes Premier Cup after staving off the St. Clare Saints, 83-79, on Wednesday at the FilOil Flying V Arena in San Juan.

The Knights keep their quarterfinals hope alive as they even their record at 2-2 in Group B play, while the Saints slump to 1-4, still sitting at number five and out of postseason contention.

Letran piled up as much as 18 points on their opponents in the first quarter but found themselves in a close fight in the fourth, where the Saints forced five deadlocks in the last three minutes of play. As the scoreboard read 79-all, Ray Nambatac drove to the lane and had the ball poked away, but Jamil Gabawan picked up the loose change and converted on a nifty hook, 81-79.

The Saints missed their last attempt as Marte Gil's triple rimmed out, and the Knights escaped St. Clare's grindhouse to keep them at .500.

“These are NAASCU finalists,” said Letran coach Caloy Garcia after the game. “We came here to learn and I gave everyone an opportunity to play. Sabi ko sa second half hindi ako tatawag ng timeout dahil gusto ko silang matuto. They have to decide on their own kasi pagdating sa NCAA, limited lang ang timeout, at the same time may mga TV timeouts.

“What I want to happen in the FilOil is for the boys to learn how to think.”

Letran's offense resembled a well-oiled machine early, finding the open shooter and opting for high-efficiency shots, while the Saints stumbled out of the gate to a 12-point deficit, 14-2. The NCAA runners-up pushed the lead to 18 as St. Clare struggled to find open looks against a zone. Saints point guard Marte Gil found the touch from downtown, swishing in two treys and helping his team hack away at the lead as they cut the deficit to 11 points after the first canto, 28-17.

The Saints continued chipping away at the lead, going hard in the paint to draw fouls and score on put-backs as they watered the lead down to eight points, 30-22. The Knights quickly staved off the run, as Ford Ruaya hit a triple which restored the buffer to double-digits, 33-22. St. Clare's offense showed signs of life though, as the Saints carved out eight straight points from second-chances and the charity stripe as the scoreboard read 41-37 heading to the second half.

Cruz fired 12 first half points while Nambatac added seven of his own. The Knights were shooting a high clip (79 percent) from inside the arc but were beaten on second chance points, 4-15.

Gil netted eight first-half points followed by Jamito and Redoh Favien with six apiece. The Saints shot a characteristic 37 percent from the floor, making up for it with 15 second-chance points off 11 offensive rebounds. The Saints outclassed the Knights in the rebounding department, 21-13.

Letran gained a 10-point separation from their foes early in the third after a split from Felix Apreku, 51-41, a spread which lingered between eight to ten points until St. Clare started to wax hot again from downtown. Elmer Managuelod, Jason Ibarra, and Gil all hit three's for their side as they trimmed the lead to just four, 58-54. A free throw from Jamil Gabawan sealed the quarter for the Knights, whose 18-point lead now shrank to five, 59-54,

Nambatac and his comrades gambled for steals and pushed the ball in transition to neutralise St. Clare's zone, a tactic which worked as they put up an 11-point lead, 68-57. Ibay spurred a 16-3 run midway through the fourth which handed them their first lead of the game, 73-71. Free throws from Fidel Castro stopped the bleeding and the Knights regained the lead after four straight points from Cruz and Gabawan, 77-75.

A basket from Favien knotted the game at 77-77, the third of four deadlocks. The Knights finally broke the tie after the ball found itself in Gabawan's hands, leading to the hoop and the harm. Gabawan flubbed the free throw but Gil missed a Hail Mary from the top of the arc as Nambatac wrapped up Letran's second win with charities, 83-79.

"Napakagandang play noon para sa amin," Gabawan later said jokingly. "Nice pass, may kasama pang foul."

Guard Mark Cruz sizzled with 19 points while Rey Nambatac helped with 15 points and six rebounds. Though Letran lost in the battle of the boards, they made up for it by hitting their shots at an efficient clip of 51 percent while adding 19 points from the line.

Gil stuffed the stat sheet with 18 points, seven rebounds, and four assists, while Jason Ibay tallied 13 points. Jam Jamito added 12 points and seven boards. Redoh Favien chipped in with 10 points and six rebounds.

The Saints (1-4) play their last game of the tournament against the idle Mapua Cardinals (0-4) while the Knights (2-2) have a chance to prevent the Lyceum Pirates (3-2) from entering the quarterfinals as they face off this Friday at 12:30pm. - JDL, GMA News

The scores:

CSJL - Cruz 19, Nambatac 15, Gabawan 8, Quinto 8, Publico 8, Ruaya 5, Apreku 5, SIngontiko 5, Castro 4, Calvo 4, Luib 2, Sumalacay 0, Saldua 0, Po 0

SCC - Gil 18, Ibay 13, Jamito 12, Redoh 10, Bolos 8, Ibarra 5, Lunor 5, Managuelod 5, Acebron 3, Fongue 0, Dulalia 0

Quarter scoring: 28-17, 41-37, 59-54, 83-79

bugleboy
05-23-2014, 04:51 PM
Ngayon lang ako nanood ng live, olats pa.

Coach Caloy did not field in Kevin Racal (in street clothes, must be injured) and Mark Cruz. As a result, Letran's offense sputtered all throughout all four quarters. It was good that Lyceum was in foul trouble early in the first three quarters; that was why they never got to pull away completely, as the Knights were given a lot of free throws. To their credit, though, the Pirates played tenacious defense -- never giving the Knights any clean look at the basket. They played with a lot of spunk and pride, while the Knights played like they would rather be someplace else.

It was late in the fourth quarter when the Knights, battling from 12 points down through the efforts of Rey Nambatac, Bong Quinto and Jamil Gabawan, managed to come within one point with seconds to go and were poised to go for the go-ahead basket with about 9 seconds left. But Gabawan issued a telegraphed pass to Luib which was intercepted by the Pirates' Gabayni. Gabayni's made free throw fixed the final score at 66-64, after he intentionally missed the second throw to let the clock run out on the Knights.

If truth be told, Nambatac didn't exactly play a stellar game. He seemed a bit put off by the defense of Lesmoras and Maconocido, and only settled down in the fourth quarter. The Knights were actually carried by Quinto, Publico and Gabawan, who were the only consistent players fielded in. Ruaya was out of sorts; so were Castro and Po. Newcomers Sumalakay (a smallish wingman) and Calvo (Mark Cruz clone without the supreme self-confidence) surprised me with their energy and smarts. Sumalakay may prove to be more reliable wingman than Po, while Calvo may be better than the other guards-in-waiting like Requejo and Catipay. Singontiko was also impressive; given more time to develop, he will be able to get rid of his game-time jitters and contribute more. I just wish he'd dribble a lot less and look to create more scoring opportunities.

Our new bigs -- Apreku, Saldua and Dela Pena -- certainly aren't the second coming of Raymond Almazan. Apreku and Saldua are serviceable, though. Given time, they may develop into new versions of Jam Cortes or Jonathan Belorio. With regard to Dela Pena, I don't know. I didn't see much of his performance to form any type of judgment.

bugleboy
05-23-2014, 04:55 PM
Here's how GMA Sports saw it:

FilOil: Pirates get lucky, dodge Knights' comeback try
By KEVIN DAVISMay 23, 2014 3:51pm
http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/362365/sports/campussports/filoil-pirates-get-lucky-dodge-knights-comeback-try

After comfortably leading for the majority of the second half, Lyceum of the Philippines University managed to survive a last-minute collapse and escape their matchup against the Colegio de San Juan de Letran Knights with a 66-64 victory on Friday at the FilOil Flying V Arena in San Juan City.

The Pirates controlled the game through a balanced offensive attack as four different players scored in double-digits. Dexter Zamora, Guy Mbida and Rhoel Maconocido all scored a game-high 12 points. The Pirates were particularly potent from the three-point line, hitting nine of their 26 three-pointers.

The win gives Lyceum a record of 4-2, putting them squarely in third place of Group B of the FIlOil Flying V Hanes Premier Cup, behind the group’s two unbeaten teams, the San Beda Red Lions and the FEU Tamaraws.

Lyceum’s 4-2 record gives them a very strong chance to squeeze into the quarterfinals as a wild card team. The loss drops Letran to a 2-3 record, fourth in the group.

Playing without star players Mark Cruz and Kevin Racal, the Knights had a difficulty creating offense for one another, totaling just four assists. Matched up against an imposing Lyceum big man rotation, the Knights failed to find easy baskets in the paint and shot a dismal 36 percent inside the arc.

Letran's outside shooting was an even bigger issue, as the Knights hit just one three-pointer out of 18 attempts.

Despite their struggles from the field, the Knights kept pace with the Pirates through a steady stream of free throws, hitting 31 of their 42 attempts which accounted for nearly half of their offensive output.

Lyceum kept the Knights at arms length, maintaining a comfortable eight-point cushion for the majority of the second half. But the Pirates kept their oppenents in the game by committing 20 turnovers, seven of which were credited to point guard Zamora.

Those missed opportunities nearly cost the Pirates the game in the final two minutes. After Mbida's steal and layup spotted the Pirates a 10-point lead at the 2:06 mark, the Pirates failed to score another field goal. McJour Luib's layup cut the lead to eight, followed by a Lyceum turnover and layup by Jamil Gabawan.

Bong Quinto finished an and one opportunity with 43 seconds left to put them within three points. After Rey Nambatac's layup cut the lead to one at the 9.7 second mark, the Pirates turned the ball over on the ensuing inbounds play. However, Gabawan's floating outlet pass was intercepted by Lyceum's Joseph Gabayani who was promptly fouled with 2.3 seconds remaining.

After making the first free throw, Gabayani intentionally missed the second attempt to burn the remaining time off the clock. "I want the players to learn from this. I want my players to learn how to play in the end game and how to win games," said Lyceum head coach Bonnie Tan. "We weren't able to sustain our lead but we'll take this win." - JDL, GMA News

The scores:
LPU 66- Zamoa 12, Mbida 12, Maconocido 12, Ko 10, Bulawan 5, Baltaar 3, Gabayani 3, Lesmoras 3, Taldua 3, Azores 2, SOliman 1

CSJL 64- Gabawan 12, Quinto 10, Publico 9, Nambatac 6, Ruaya 6, Luib 5, Singontiko 5, Calvo 4, APreku 3, Pantin 2, Sumalakay 2

ESCALERA JR.
05-24-2014, 08:13 PM
Sabi sa reports the LPU Pirates has vastly improved and may finally crack the F4 this coming season with veteran coach Bong Tan. Samething with our other next door neighbor MIT. Kung gayon, the battle of Intramuros would now be contested fiercely. Im sure our boys would not hand them over the throne that easily...daanin na lang natin sa 'intimidation' and placeplayoff experience.
Hindi matatanggap ng LRC yan lol.

I still believe we can make it, basta maka pasok lang then we'll take it from there. Arriba lang ng arriba

bugleboy
05-30-2014, 03:52 PM
To tell you frankly, our lack of ceiling is our main problem this season. The Lyceum bigs weren't particularly, well, big but they managed to out-muscle and out-hustle our guys. It was also obvious that we didn't do much scouting. People like Maconocido, Bulawan, and Mbida kept getting away for uncontested shots all throughout the game and our guys were always late in defending. Despite their win, mukhang mayroon pang tinatago itong Lyceum na ito e. I doubt if they showed all their aces during that game.

But then, neither did we. :)

Good news naman. The Knights won their last game in the Fil-Oil Cup today, 93-63, over the RP Youth U-18 team. Kung sabagay, kung natalo pa tayo rito, dapat sigurong mag-disband na ang team na ito.

ESCALERA JR.
05-31-2014, 03:57 AM
To tell you frankly, our lack of ceiling is our main problem this season. The Lyceum bigs weren't particularly, well, big but they managed to out-muscle and out-hustle our guys. It was also obvious that we didn't do much scouting. People like Maconocido, Bulawan, and Mbida kept getting away for uncontested shots all throughout the game and our guys were always late in defending. Despite their win, mukhang mayroon pang tinatago itong Lyceum na ito e. I doubt if they showed all their aces during that game.

But then, neither did we. :)

Good news naman. The Knights won their last game in the Fil-Oil Cup today, 93-63, over the RP Youth U-18 team. Kung sabagay, kung natalo pa tayo rito, dapat sigurong mag-disband na ang team na ito.

Huwag naman boss bugle!...lam mo nama every letran game is something i look forward to...manalo o matalo (...bugbog kayo'!)

bugleboy
06-02-2014, 07:13 AM
Well, if there was one thing that was positive in this game, it was that Castro seems to have found his mojo. Here's hoping that he will be able to carry this forward into the NCAA season.

bugleboy
06-05-2014, 10:17 AM
Congratulations to Kevin Alas -- MVP in the PBA D-League!

http://www.spin.ph/sports/d-league/news/kevin-alas-mvp-pba-d-league-foundation-cup-nlex-garvo-lanete-jake-pascual

bugleboy
06-16-2014, 08:10 AM
Good article on K-Ace and Coach Louie:

http://www.spin.ph/sports/basketball/news/fathers-day-special-louie-and-kevin-alas-prefer-to-chart-their-own-path-in-pba