PDA

View Full Version : Duncil: deserving or undeserving for the Finals MVP award?

fighting_archer
10-02-2006, 09:22 PM
does duncil deserve to be the Finals MVP?

i think dylan ababou or jc intal deserves the Finals MVP award more...

israeli
10-02-2006, 09:24 PM
Jojo deserves the award. he carried the campaign of the Tigers in his arms after Jervy Cruz and Allan Evangelista were fouled out and Anthony Espiritu nursed his own foul trouble.

joelex
10-02-2006, 09:26 PM
definitely deserving. carried the fight in both wins....

Coolmanny
10-02-2006, 09:51 PM
he deserves it, it was a Duncil show during the ovetime, buo loob ;D

lehboy
10-02-2006, 11:20 PM
Deserving for me. Ang galing niya nitong finals.

fighting_archer
10-03-2006, 12:05 AM
but dont you think, jc intal deserves the recognition more? mas malaking hard work ang ginawa niya compared to jojo, nga lang natalo sila...and mas consistent siya kaysa kay jojo...

shyboy
10-03-2006, 12:11 AM
but dont you think, jc intal deserves the recognition more? mas malaking hard work ang ginawa niya compared to jojo, nga lang natalo sila...and mas consistent siya kaysa kay jojo...

Had Intal made his attempt in Ateneo's final play in overtime, it could have given Ateneo the lead and probably the championship. Kaso may daga pa rin si Intal compared dun sa buong loob ni Duncil. Duncil deserves the Finals MVP award in my opinion.

buko4
10-03-2006, 12:16 AM

well..i think (but im not sure ha) na sa champion team nanggagaling ang MVP ng Finals..and besides..duncil carried UST in games 2 and 3..deserving naman siya..although kung nagchampion ang Ateneo..no doubt it would have been Intal..

fighting_archer
10-03-2006, 12:27 AM

well..i think (but im not sure ha) na sa champion team nanggagaling ang MVP ng Finals..and besides..duncil carried UST in games 2 and 3..deserving naman siya..although kung nagchampion ang Ateneo..no doubt it would have been Intal..

uhm..not really, nung 2004, lasalle won the championship but it was arwind santos who was Finals's MVP...:)

buko4
10-03-2006, 12:32 AM

uhm..not really, nung 2004, lasalle won the championship but it was arwind santos who was Finals's MVP...:)

thanks for correcting me.my apologies hehe..pero siguro kasi si duncil talaga nag buhat nung team nung games 2 and 3 lalo na nung off night (on both nights) si jervy..

fighting_archer
10-03-2006, 12:49 AM

Had Intal made his attempt in Ateneo's final play in overtime, it could have given Ateneo the lead and probably the championship.* Kaso may daga pa rin si Intal compared dun sa buong loob ni Duncil.* Duncil deserves the Finals MVP award in my opinion.

ok, hindi naging ganun kaganda laro ni jc, and wala siya nagawa nung overtime, reason: pagod na siya, he played for 41 out 45 mins...tapos hindi siya nakapagpahinga nung 4th quarter except for the time outs..

sa stats, lamang si jc kay jojo sa stats ni jojo...here's Jojo duncil's and JC intal's stats during the champ games:

Game 1: Jojo- 9pts, 8 rbs, 0 ast, 0 stl ;; JC - 21pts, 6 rbs, 1 ast, 2 stls
Game 2: Jojo-21pts, 3 rbs, 1 ast, 2 stl ;; JC-23pts, 10rbs, 3 asts, 0 stls
Game 3: Jojo-18pts, 4 rbs, 1 ast, 0 stl ;; JC-16pts, 5rbs, 5asts, 1 stl

but anyways..everyone is entitled for his/her opinion* ;)

joelex
10-03-2006, 12:54 AM
well i think the award would tend to go to the player who was more instrumental in his team's performance (victory) rather than someone who has played really well but failed to deliver when it mattered most. I guess if Ateneo won especially if Intal made one of his many crucial attempts, he would easily win the award. ;)

shyboy
10-03-2006, 12:56 AM

It was MacMac Cardona who was Finals MVP in 2004. Arwind Santos was season MVP for the same year.

buko4
10-03-2006, 01:06 AM

It was MacMac Cardona who was Finals MVP in 2004.* Arwind Santos was season MVP for the same year.

LoL bawi..hindi pala ako corrected :)) kidding aside, duncil not only Delivered but he was also The Liver (ang bumuhay) for the Tigers..pagbigyan niyo na haha sorry kung pilit

joelex
10-03-2006, 01:09 AM

It was MacMac Cardona who was Finals MVP in 2004.* Arwind Santos was season MVP for the same year.

LoL bawi..hindi pala ako corrected :)) kidding aside, duncil not only Delivered but he was also The Liver (ang bumuhay) for the Tigers..pagbigyan niyo na haha sorry kung pilit

:D ;D :D ;D hahahaha

fighting_archer
10-03-2006, 01:12 AM

haha! ok...sorry mali pala po ako.. ;) ok lang...as i have said everyone is entitled for his or her opinion.. ;D JC pa rin MVP for me.. :D para wala ng away, (teka wala naman away in the first place :P) Jojo MVP ng UST tapos JC ng ADMU! hehe! they both worked hard naman... :)

buko4
10-03-2006, 01:12 AM
bkt tol, pilit ba ang The Liver? haha kesa naman si Bonbon..the Leaver (iwanan kasi haha)

fighting_archer
10-03-2006, 01:13 AM
hindi naman..hehe.. ;)

buko4
10-03-2006, 01:13 AM
fighting_archer.. haha MOST Valuable noh..so you can only have one..sige para fair kung gusto mo.. ang MVP nalang si JC DUNCIL or JOJO INTAL hahaha kidding..sige JC and JOJO for Finals MVP..

fighting_archer
10-03-2006, 01:16 AM
^^haha! grabe naman yun...go Jojo and JC!hehe

buko4
10-03-2006, 01:21 AM
Pero for me if meron man MVP for coaches, dapat kay Coach Pido un..ang galing e..natabunan ung magandang play ni coach Norman nung game 1 ng Motivation na binigay ni coach pido sa players niya

joelex
10-03-2006, 01:23 AM
kung ako si duncil, ayaw ko ng The Liver, kasi pag kalaban niya adamson, baka kainin pa siya ng buhay ni KB ;D

buko4
10-03-2006, 01:25 AM
kung ako si duncil, ayaw ko ng The Liver, kasi pag kalaban niya adamson, baka kainin pa siya ng buhay ni KB ;D

haha bka naman pati si Glenn Rice kainin ni KB..Kulang pa tol! EXTRA RICE PLEASE :)

fighting_archer
10-03-2006, 01:34 AM
Pero for me if meron man MVP for coaches, dapat kay Coach Pido un..ang galing e..natabunan ung magandang play ni coach Norman nung game 1 ng Motivation na binigay ni coach pido sa players niya

i agree with you! saludo ako kay Coach Pido! he did a great job...he gets the positive side of the negative things...kaya nagkaroon ng mas mataas na motivation ang UST to win the trophy..

buko4
10-03-2006, 01:40 AM
Duncil is PBL Material and konting hasa pa PBA Material na yan..Sana umabot siya sa PBA

fighting_archer
10-03-2006, 01:45 AM
Yeah..PBL material si kuya jojo!hehe... :) feeling close na... he has few more years pa naman sa UST diba..so kaya pa sigurong mahasa yan for his PBA career... si kuya jc naman, i think he would be one of the top picks sa mga PBA draftees next year..hehe..sorry bilib lang talaga ako kay JC Intal... ;D

atenean_blooded
10-03-2006, 01:57 AM
Duncil deserves the Finals MVP award.

If Ateneo won, it would've gone to Intal and Escalona.

buko4
10-03-2006, 02:01 AM
Duncil deserves the Finals MVP award.

If Ateneo won, it would've gone to Intal and Escalona.

I agree..i would have given it to both intal and escalona..

GreenArrows
10-03-2006, 07:22 AM

YOU ARE WRONG. In 2004, Macmac Cardona was FINALS MVP. (A photo with Cardona and his MVP trophy is herewith attached.) The Finals MVP is ALWAYS from the Champion team.

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/9669/v62hz7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Please be more careful with your statements and make sure of your facts before posting them.

GreenArrows
10-03-2006, 07:29 AM
Jojo Duncil deserved to win the Finals MVP if only for what he did in Game 3. He was saddled with 3 early fouls which took him out of the game in the 2nd quarter. Inspite of this handicap, he played his role to the hilt in the 3rd and most specially in the 4th quarter and in overtime. Most specially since both Evangelista and Jervy Cruz fouled out. Though UST played more as a team in the end, Duncil provided them the leadership and the points when the Tigers needed it the most. That he deserves to be the MOST VALUABLE Player of the Finals, is without a doubt to true basketball pundits.

Had Ateneo won, hands down, JC Intal would have been the Finals MVP. But UST won it thus Duncil is the FINALS MVP.

GreenArrows
10-03-2006, 07:45 AM
I think the three Ateneo seniors - Intal, Kramer and ESCALONA - played and gave the best they had. No one can fault them for coming up 2 point short. They can still keep their heads high knowing that there was nothing left in them in the end. They gave their all. And that is all that one can give. This, however, shows that a team must be at least 8-10 players deep if they wish to bring themselves to the top. In the end, Intal, Kramer and Escalona poured their all. But the others were founding lacking. Call it gitters, call it inexperience. But the others were lacking. However, there is a silver lining. For in Team B of Ateneo, I can see 4-5 players who would fit perfectly in the type of team play that Norman Black is known for.

Now, if only Coach Norman can keep that hack-a-player-for-free-throws strategy out of his play book. Then perhaps, the team he coaches can win through genuine strategy and skills. That strategy did not work for Portland when they introduced that strategy against Shaq's LA team a few years ago and that strategy did not work for ADMU yesterday. Remember, when a team knows one of their players will almost always be fouled because of his poor foul shooting, excuse HORRENDOUS foul shooting, trust me, that team will adjust to make up for it. It rarely, if ever, benefits the hacking team. My 2 cents worth Coach Norman.

vickster
10-03-2006, 09:28 AM
Though I'm a Blue Eagle junkie, I believe Duncil is definitely deserving of the MVP award.

The best argument for this is -- without him, there was no way UST could have won the crown. His stats and offensive contribution were laid out clearly in the previous posts. What you cannot see in the boxscores, IMO, was far more important, and valuable, if you will.

Duncil showed unbelievable poise under the greatest of pressures. And this after sitting out most of the 1st half with 3 fouls. Also for the entire series, he played brilliant man to man defense on chris tiu. I think it is has been proven that if chris tiu is shut down, ateneo becomes predictable and ultimately easier to beat. Duncil's greatest contribution was his perseverance in chasing tiu around pick after pick, banging and sticking to him through all 3 games. To top it all off, he still had the energy to bury clutch jumper after clutch jumper in Games 2 and 3.

patupup
10-03-2006, 10:14 AM
no doubt, he deserves it! Congrats USTe!!!!

bongkers
10-03-2006, 10:17 AM
I too believe Duncil deserves the award. (and if not Duncil, then it should be Dylan and not Jervy) Just look at UST's two victories, it was Duncil and Ababou who stepped up to secure the victories. Jervy was consistent throughout, but he was not the difference maker.

Howard the Duck
10-03-2006, 02:45 PM
I think Duncil doesn't give a damn.
What matters is that the Tigers are the champs.
Period.

freak
10-04-2006, 01:17 AM
Yep.. Duncil did deserve the MVP trophy.. another player that would also be deserving is Dylan Ababou.

DREDD
10-04-2006, 10:51 AM
GALING MO IDOOOOOOOL! DESERVING KA NA MAKAKUHA NG MVP SOBRA!
http://www.geocities.com/raldimaculangan/champions-jojo-02.jpg
AT LAHAT NG PLAYERS NG TIGERS! D BEST!

gameface_one
10-05-2006, 08:44 AM
Duncil is UAAP Finals MVP
mb.com.ph

HE LET his team down a number of times in the elimination round. He was a disappointment in the finals opener of the 69th UAAP basketball tournament.

But there’s no way Jojo Duncil will let the University of Santo Tomas Tigers down and be a disappointment again in the game that mattered the most.

"Nung nawala ang mga malalaki namin sa loob, ‘yun ang naging cue ko para mag-take charge sa opensa namin," Duncil said.

With slotman Jervy Cruz and power forward Allan Evangelista fouling out late in the fourth and early in overtime, UST coach Pido Jarencio, with no hesitation at all, turned to his third-year guard.

Duncil didn’t disappoint, pouring in eight of his 18 points in overtime to lead the Tigers past the Ateneo Blue Eagles, 76-74, in the deciding Game 3 of their title series.

He only had nine points on 2-of-11 shooting in their one-point loss in the finals opener and 20 when they tied the series in Game 2.

The UAAP Press Corps named him the Finals MVP for his strong performances in their twin victories.

"Pambawi ko na rin ‘yun dahil hindi ako masyadong nakatulong sa kanila nung elimination."

The 23-year-old from Apalit, Pampanga missed four games as the Tigers struggled to qualify in the Final Four.

He served a one-game suspension early in the elimination round for head-butting a player from the National University Bulldogs.

"Galit na galit ako sa sarili ko nun," Duncil recalled. "Feeling ko imbes na makatulong, nakakasira pa ako sa team."

He missed another game at the start of the second round, this time because of typhoid fever. The Tigers went on to lose to the University of the East Warriors and drop to the cellar with a 2-5 card.

But the Tigers turned their season around with victories over last year’s champion Far Eastern U Tamaraws and the then undefeated Ateneo Blue Eagles.

Duncil was still in sick bay on both occasions.

"Naging inspirado ako na makabalik agad nung nagpapanalo na kami. Nakita ko kasi na determinado lahat ng mga teammates ko."

When he came back, there was no stopping the Tigers from returning to the top. — Noli CRUZ

axel4104
10-05-2006, 11:27 AM
Jojo Duncil truly deserves the award! He lifted his team when the game is on the line! :)

mangtsito
10-08-2006, 10:46 AM
YOU ARE WRONG.* In 2004, Macmac Cardona was FINALS MVP. (A photo with Cardona and his MVP trophy is herewith attached.) The Finals MVP is ALWAYS from the Champion team.

In that case, Cardona should return the trophy just to keep up with the events 2 years later. ;)

Anyway, yup, Jojo Duncil deserves it. There could never be any convncing argument to the contrary.

Joescoundrel
10-13-2006, 03:55 PM
Jojo Duncil was the most noticed, especially in Game 3. But Allan Evangelista for me was the real difference maker in these Finals. He gave UST its best low post threat and at all of 6'3" in his sneakers. He hit big jumpers, played underrated defense, grabbed key rebounds and basically was the heart and soul of the Tigers. He was the most consistent among them and Norman Black's defense was keyed in on him. Heck he almost gave UST a sweep of these Finals if not for Doug Kramer's One-Second Miracle.

pablohoney36
11-29-2006, 11:00 PM
Jojo Duncil, no doubt, is deserving of the FINALS MVP.
JC Intal was great, scored baskets more consistently compared to Jojo. But he choked in the biggest game of the season, when the championship was on the line.He choked, not just once, but twice. Maybe he was tired, playde most of the game, but still, he failed to put the ball in when it mattered most. If he scored on that last play in the regulation, or maybe in the OT period, he would have been FINALS MVP, no doubt. Plain and simple.

fujima04
12-05-2006, 03:59 PM
He deserves it...

He delivers when the Tigers needed it the most! ;)

ai_linn
01-10-2007, 02:22 PM

* * Akala ko sa champion team lang mangagaling yung MVP award, di pala. Hmmm.....Although i didn't appreciated his efforts for his team, magaling naman talaga maglaro si Duncil (but for me Jervy is greater than him). Maybe to others he deserved that but nung in-announce na sya, nsabi ko na lang sayang yung bet kong si Intal.

Jump_Shooter
06-14-2007, 06:38 PM
Deleted a useless post and will now lock this thread, which I should have done much earlier.