PDA

View Full Version : Dolphins inclined to sign up Dualan as full-time coach

gameface_one
10-02-2006, 12:49 AM
Dolphins inclined to sign up Dualan as full-time coach
abs-cbnnews.com

After guiding Philippine Christian University to a second place finish in the recent 82nd NCAA menís basketball tournament, Joel Dualan is expected to return next season as the Dolphinsí full-time coach.

Fred Olano, PCU athletic director and NCAA management committee member, said the school normally hires a coach three months before the start of a new season.

But as a gesture of appreciation, PCU is expected to retain Dualanís services.

"Itís also something of a reward for him after he helped the Dolphins reach the Finals. Though we fell short of winning the championship, itís already a big achievement for us considering heís a rookie coach," Olano said.

Not many expected PCU to reach the finals when, two days before the start of the season, Junel Baculi stepped down as coach due to health reasons, leaving the Dolphins without any option but to promote Dualan.

The former PBA player took over on in interim capacity, and although the Dolphins struggled in the early goings of the elimination phase, Dualan slowly but surely developed a good relationship with his players.

With the teamís 1-2 punch of big man Gabby Espinas and guard Jason Castro leading the way, Dualan steered PCU to a second-best 10-4 (win-loss) card tied with erstwhile defending champion Letran.

The Dolphins defeated the Knights in a playoff match to take the No. 2 and the twice-to-beat advantage in the Final Four. Against the same team, they dethroned Letran to advance in the best-of-3 Finals for the third straight time opposite San Beda.

PCU and the Mendiola-based team split the first two games of the title showdown, and in the sudden-death Game 3, the Dolphins were one basket away from denying the Red Lions the title and win their second in team history.

However, Beau Belgaís jumper rimmed out before the game clock expired, giving San Beda its first title in 28 years.

LION
10-02-2006, 07:58 AM
Dophins inclined to sign up Dualan as full-time coach?* *

Of course,* e last year pa lang dinala na lahat ni Dualan lahat ng dating players niya from St. Clare-Caloocan to PCU.

joelex
10-04-2006, 02:25 AM

Of course,* e last year pa lang dinala na lahat ni Dualan lahat ng dating players niya from St. Claire-Caloocan to PCU.

ah talaga? sino sino dun? hindi ba si nino songco st claire din?

AnthonyServinio
10-04-2006, 10:30 AM

Of course,* e last year pa lang dinala na lahat ni Dualan lahat ng dating players niya from St. Claire-Caloocan to PCU.

ah talaga? sino sino dun? hindi ba si nino songco st claire din?
We're talking here three to five players covering all positions who will serve two to three years each tops. More of a quick fix measure to cushion the departure of Gabriel Espinas and Ian Garrido. No wonder Saint Clare was eliminated early in this year's NAASCU after being a Final Four team last year.

Most notable among the transferees is guard Dennis San Pedro, whose claim to fame was making the halfcourt shot that snapped the UM Hawks' incredible winning streak last year.

Unfortunately, Nino Songco is no longer eligible to play NCAA ball since he is already 24 years old. The only year he played for Saint Clare (after four years at Emilio Aguinaldo) was more of another quick fix to enhance the Saints' title hopes.

LION
10-05-2006, 06:01 PM
Since may quick fix na si Dualan which I presume will make PCU a strong contender again next year, I hope he also has a long-term plan for PCU.

And it is St. Clare and not "St. Claire", my bad. Tama spelling ni pareng Anthony.

danny
10-12-2006, 01:51 AM
Since may quick fix na si Dualan which I presume will make PCU a strong contender again next year, I hope he also has a long-term plan for PCU.
And it is St. Clare and not "St. Claire", my bad.* Tama spelling ni pareng Anthony.

Are these kids from St. Claire that good?

LION
10-12-2006, 08:59 AM
They are good enough to be competitive in their own league but I doubt if they can hold their own against the NCAA players. I think that it is Lee Boliver who is the real standout compared to the St. Clare players.