PDA

View Full Version : Predictions for UAAP Men's Basketball in 2007

israeli
09-24-2006, 02:28 PM
now that the 2006 UAAP Men's Basketball Competition is slowly winding down, i am wondering what the gameface.ph people are thiniking of in the comng season. :)

Coolmanny
09-25-2006, 06:10 PM
watch out for the team from Espana* ;D

israeli
09-25-2006, 08:07 PM
^ UST is the clear favorite to win the title in 2007. they are just in the right place at the right time for a return to the Tigers' "glory days". ;)

however, if there are teams that could threaten UST, those would be La Salle, UP and Ateneo. ;D

BigBlue
09-25-2006, 09:17 PM
adamson would be a threat, that's if their players do decide to stay. Bono has one more year of elegibility left doesnt he? then again there's the question of whether Leo Austria will be back next year too, since he has been a major factor for their success this year.

chocoks77
09-25-2006, 09:31 PM
adamson would be a threat, that's if their players do decide to stay. Bono has one more year of elegibility left doesnt he? then again there's the question of whether Leo Austria will be back next year too, since he has been a major factor for their success this year.

I think Leo Austria is going to leave Adamson because he is going to coach Welcoat in the PBA

israeli
09-25-2006, 11:00 PM
Coach Leo Austria is leaving the Adamson Falcons to become the full-time head coach of the Welcoat Dragons in the PBA. Adamson will surely have a new coach in Season 70.

however, i read from other forums that Adamson will have two more problems aside from the dilemma of choosing the new head coach. according to those forums, Ken Bono is allegedly being courted by a PBA team, making the guy contemplate as to whether or not he will leave Adamson for the pros this year. also, the Falcons could have problems with players Roel Hugnatan and Michael Yong, both whom are over the age limit of players set by the UAAP come Season 70.

in spite of those rumors, Adamson will remain a threat, and both UP and Ateneo, the two teams favored to be earn the third and fourth Season 70 Final Four slots respectively, must be aware of that.

BLUE HORSE
09-26-2006, 07:44 AM
now that the 2006 UAAP Men's Basketball Competition is slowly winding down, i am wondering what the gameface.ph people are thiniking of in the comng season. :)

The denizens of gameface.ph will be busy disecting the many recruiting rumors.* Figuring out which player is being courted by which school is almost as exciting as the actual basketball season.

I put LaSalle as the team to beat next season.* They want to make a statement after this years suspension.* The whole roster is intact with as many as 6 players taller than 6' 4".* The backcourt will be manned by veteran players.* Next come UST.* Will Jervy Cruz lock horns once again with Ilad and the rest of the LaSalle players?* *:o* Blows were actually exchange by players of both schools in 2 preseason tournaments before the start of this season.

UP needs to shore up their big men.* They will now get the services of a couple of Fil-Am's in Astorga and a real point guard.*

Ateneo will have to address the departure of 3 starters; Kramer, Intal and Escalona.* Who among the imports from Cebu, Bacolod, Macabebe, Davao, IS, and a couple of exclusive schools south of Katipunan will make the team?* :D I expect Tiu and Salamat to do more scoring next season.

The team B players of FEU are hungrier than this years varsity squad.* They have a couple of transfer players doing residency including 2 from Bacolod and a 6' 8" center.* Expect a couple of the FERN boys to be elevated to varsity, they definitely look old enough to play college ball.* UE has a bunch of transfer players waiting in the wings.* One or two of them even tried out in Ateneo last year before heading to Recto.* Adamson may go nowhere next year if the school does not find a suitable replacement for Austria.*

Mel
09-26-2006, 08:05 AM
Ken Bono can still suit up for Adamson even if he decides to play next season in the PBA.
He just needs to take the Gabby Espinas / Boyet Bautista route.

5FootCarrot
09-26-2006, 08:17 AM
Ken Bono can still suit up for Adamson even if he decides to play next season in the PBA.
He just needs to take the Gabby Espinas / Boyet Bautista route.

Is that allowed in the UAAP?

BigBlue
09-26-2006, 08:36 AM
sa NCAA lang yan Mel. IIRC, UAAP rules state that once you apply for the draft, you are already disqualified from the UAAP. The last person who did this was Don Allado, who was drafted but waited out his last year with DLSU before suiting up for Alaska.

On Leo Austria leaving Adamson, according to Kaybee's comment in the Adamson forum, there is still a possibility, albeit a highly unlikely one, that he can return to coach for Adamson. Accdg to her, he has not yet signed on with Welcoat.

Mel
09-26-2006, 09:30 AM
No wonder, no one from the recent batch of graduating UAAP players applied for the PBA draft.

We used to call this the Don Allado Exception. Anton Montinola and the UAAP Board outlawed
this practice a few years after.

As far as my formal predictions for 2007:

Final Four: UST,DLSU,AdU,ADMU in no particular order
Breakout Players: Garcia (NU), Canizares (UE), Reyes (Ateneo)

israeli
09-26-2006, 10:58 AM
re: UP, i have read from PEx and peyups that there are rumors that Joe Lipa simply had Galen Cacha and Joboy Hipolito as "stop-gap" players for the Maroons. they said that Joe Lipa was simply waiting for several players, most of whom are currently with UP Team B, to suit up for the Maroons next years. among those players from Team B who might get a shot at Team A include Kevin Astorga, Andrew Marfori and Francis Juarez. Fil-Canadian Ron Pajela might get his time in Team A in 2008 as there will be no PG vacancy until Marvin Cruz's graduation next year but UPIS stalwart Jabby Bautista might try to get a shot in becoming Marvelous Marvin's heir-apparent. there are also rumors that Joboy Hipolito could lose his slot in Team A due to the "impending return" of Jay Agbayani. of course, the ultimate rumor about the Maroons would be Joe Lipa and the coaching staff already setting their eyes on highly-talented but not-so-popular recruits that big schools like Ateneo and La Salle are not aware of.

i am still very optimistic about UP's 2007-2008 run. besides, Joe Lipa planned Season 70 as the time for the Maroons to return to the Final Four but who knows if next season is also the time that the team from Diliman would finally break its 21-year championship title drought. ;)

re: Ken Bono, there are rumors that the guy is being "enticed" by a PBA team to apply for the draft, making the guy contemplate about his future in the UAAP. :o

bluebruiser90
09-26-2006, 11:25 AM
Wouldn't be surprised if Bono does declare for the draft.* His stock is sky high and he will be hard pressed to repeat this year's performance (coupled with the Falcon's moderate success). Plus the other factors going against better judgement to pass on the draft: lack of school support and the impending loss of the team's glue, Coach Leo to the pros.* He can go in the top 3 depending on who's available and who's drafting. Probably a possible number one draft pick over-all.* Welcoat, who will definitely finish dead last and get the top pick next year, will have a true center on it's shopping list come draft day. And Bono tops the short list of centers available (probably a very short list with JR Quinahan being the only other noteworthy name).*

He should strike while the iron is hot. Remember what happened to Robin Mendoza in the early 90's. He had a stellar senior season with FEU and was being courted by San Miguel (which had a zero PG depth chart at that time) to declare for the draft.* Mendoza stayed another year in the UAAP, his draft stock tanked, waited some more before finally declaring for the draft, eventually bounced around in an uneventful* PBA career when he could have had the starting PG job at San Miguel (before Olsen Racel transferred from Purefoods) had he declared earlier for the draft.*

pio_valenz
09-26-2006, 05:32 PM
Next year will see perhaps the most balanced competition in a long, long time: no clear title favorite, and no clear league doormat, either.

binocular
09-26-2006, 07:06 PM

The denizens of gameface.ph will be busy disecting the many recruiting rumors.* Figuring out which player is being courted by which school is almost as exciting as the actual basketball season.

I put LaSalle as the team to beat next season.* They want to make a statement after this years suspension.* The whole roster is intact with as many as 6 players taller than 6' 4".* The backcourt will be manned by veteran players.* Next come UST.* Will Jervy Cruz lock horns once again with Ilad and the rest of the LaSalle players?* *:o* Blows were actually exchange by players of both schools in 2 preseason tournaments before the start of this season.

UP needs to shore up their big men.* They will now get the services of a couple of Fil-Am's in Astorga and a real point guard.*

Ateneo will have to address the departure of 3 starters; Kramer, Intal and Escalona.* Who among the imports from Cebu, Bacolod, Macabebe, Davao, IS, and a couple of exclusive schools south of Katipunan will make the team?* :D* I expect Tiu and Salamat to do more scoring next season.

The team B players of FEU are hungrier than this years varsity squad.* They have a couple of transfer players doing residency including 2 from Bacolod and a 6' 8" center.* Expect a couple of the FERN boys to be elevated to varsity, they definitely look old enough to play college ball.* UE has a bunch of transfer players waiting in the wings.* One or two of them even tried out in Ateneo last year before heading to Recto.* Adamson may go nowhere next year if the school does not find a suitable replacement for Austria.*

macabebe?mukhang bago to sa pandinig ko ah same as davao.the davao boys in admu or me iba pa?hehe sana totoo na to hindi yung hype na naman. kakafrustrate lang.

israeli
10-02-2006, 08:55 PM
with UST being crowned as this year's Men's Basketball Champions, would it be safe to assume that the team rankings in Season 70 will be like this?

1. UST Growling Tigers
2. UP Fighting Maroons/DLSU Green Archers
3. UP Fighting Maroons/DLSU Green Archers
4. ADMU Blue Eagles/Adamson Falcons
5. ADMU Blue Eagles/Adamson Falcons
6. UE Red Warriors
7. NU Bulldogs
8. FEU Tamaraws

joelex
10-02-2006, 09:53 PM
barring any major acquisition for ateneo to replace their 3 stars, i dont think they'll place an higher than 6th.

israeli
10-02-2006, 10:06 PM
^ are you saying that you would rank Adamson and UE higher than Ateneo? :o

joelex
10-02-2006, 10:10 PM
i guess so. losing 3 stars and having a very lean bench is not really a good way to enter a season. but well those 5th-7th spots are pretty much interchangable at this time.

israeli
10-02-2006, 11:13 PM
actually, some already dismissed Ateneo as a Final Four contender next year. they are giving the fourth Final Four slot to either Adamson and UE. :o

green_minded
10-02-2006, 11:15 PM
Final Four:
UST
DLSU
Adamson
ADMU

israeli
10-02-2006, 11:17 PM
oh... speaking of Adamson, heard from the rumor mill that the administrators are allegedly considering ALEX COMPTON as Leo Austria's replacement next year. Leo Austria might stay on as a team consultant.

and as for the PBA team that is "courting" Ken Bono, rumors say that it is Leo Austria's Welcoat Dragons.

my Final Four: UST, DLSU, UP and ADMU.

shyboy
10-03-2006, 12:06 AM
oh... speaking of Adamson, heard from the rumor mill that the administrators are allegedly considering ALEX COMPTON as Leo Austria's replacement next year. Leo Austria might stay on as a team consultant.

If this is the case, will Austria's son move over to Adamson from Ateneo?

israeli
10-03-2006, 12:22 AM
^ Bacon Austria? nah. i think he will wear the blue and white jersey when he goes to the seniors. ;)

person
10-03-2006, 01:08 AM
ust will lose evangelista and vizcarra...not sure who will be elevated from team b...but what i want to know is who will be the new recruits for ust???will buenafe, pascual or tiong lian standouts go to ust because of the championship we won????

joelex
10-03-2006, 02:26 AM
ust will lose evangelista and vizcarra...not sure who will be elevated from team b...but what i want to know is who will be the new recruits for ust???will buenafe, pascual or tiong lian standouts go to ust because of the championship we won????

buenafe or EAC? who is this pascual you are reffering to? why is there any feelers being sent by UST to Buenafe?

GreenArrows
10-03-2006, 07:43 AM
i guess so. losing 3 stars and having a very lean bench is not really a good way to enter a season. but well those 5th-7th spots are pretty much interchangable at this time.

Have you seen Ateneo's Team B in the FMC tournaments? I don't think you have based on your statements. The Blue Eagles have at least 4 or 5 players there who can easily be elevated to Team A and contribute significantly to the Katipunan cause. Remember, basketball is a team game. Norman Black is a great coach in instilling the essence of team play. And with these Team B players elevated to Team A, expect ADMU to be back in the hunt next year. Never count them out, NEVER!

i-point
10-03-2006, 08:21 AM
Sa ngayon, dalawa lang ang angat nang konti para sa susunod na taon - ang USTe at DLSU. Mahigpit naman ang magiging labanan para sa natitirang mga puwesto sa Final Four sa pagitan ng ADMU (may tsismis na may magagaling na na-recruit pampalit kay Kramer at Escalona, ewan ko lang kung meron na para kay Intal), UE (mahusay pa ring koponan kahit wala na sina Custodio at Borboran), FEU (ito ang dapat abangan - yung mga Team B nila, matatangkad na, mabibilis pa - pantampat sa USTe), UP (lalo pang gagaling ang mga rookie nila, at madadagdagan pa raw ng isang malaking nagre-residency ngayon), at NU (walang ga-graduate sa koponang ito, at si Asoro at Fernandez nandiyan pa rin), pati na rin ang Adamson (kung hindi mawawala si Bono).

Magiging bakbakan ang Season 70 ng UAAP!

israeli
10-03-2006, 08:53 AM
joelex: person is referring to Elvin Pascual, the PCU Baby Dolphins center and 2006 NCAA Juniors MVP. although i see Pascual being heavily scouted by UAAP schools, he would most likely stay with PCU and go on to the seniors as a replacement for either Gabby Espinas or Jason Castro.

some of the priced rookies to watch out for in Season 70 are:

1. Ryan Buenafe of the San Sebastian Staglets - allegedly being recruited by Ateneo

2. Dave Marcelo of the San Beda Red Cubs - might stay with SBC but also have UP and Ateneo as choices

3. Ferdinand of La Salle Greenhills Greenies - joined the Green Archers

4. Danny Buenventura of UPIS - read in peyups that he is being recruited by UST but i hope UP will do everything to make the kid stay

5. Bacon Austria of Ateneo HS - will he wear the blue and white jersey or will his father move him to the other blue school?

bigfreeze_bibby
10-03-2006, 08:59 AM
Graduating na ba si Ryan Buenafe? I thought that this kid is only in his junior year.

israeli
10-03-2006, 09:03 AM
^ i don't know, but maybe our NCAA insiders here can clarify that. so far, Ateneo has set its eyes on Buenafe, courtesy of Eric Salamat. :o

sa Tiong Lian ba, sinu-sino ang mga dapat abangan?

JonarSabilano
10-03-2006, 10:01 AM
Magkakaroon ng United Nations sa Ateneo next year:

Matsumoto
Nkemakolam
Tiu
Al-Hussaini
Laterre (if he's still eligible)

easter
10-03-2006, 10:20 AM
I see the UST Tigers as the overwhelming favorites next year. Yes DLSU will be a tough team and very much in the hunt but having a bunch of rookies against a champion team UST will be a high mountain even for them. Plus the weakness of the Pumaren system is their opponents having tall and skilled ball handlers just like the 2002 Ateneo team and this year's UST Growling Tigers.

israeli
10-03-2006, 11:16 AM
would a Big Four (UST, DLSU, UP and ADMU) Final Four be possible in Season 70? :o

bigfreeze_bibby
10-03-2006, 12:23 PM
The last final four spot will be contested by FEU, UE, or UP.

israeli
10-03-2006, 12:34 PM
^ i am giving the third Final Four spot to UP while a significantly weakened Ateneo will have to slug it out against UE and Adamson for the last Final Four spot.

Howard the Duck
10-03-2006, 02:48 PM
Final Four next year:
UST
DLSU
UP
NU
bwahahahaha

And don't forget next season may allegations of lutuan pa rin lol :p

joelex
10-03-2006, 07:47 PM

Have you seen Ateneo's Team B in the FMC tournaments?* I don't think you have based on your statements.* The Blue Eagles have at least 4 or 5 players there who can easily be elevated to Team A and contribute significantly to the Katipunan cause.* Remember, basketball is a team game.* Norman Black is a great coach in instilling the essence of team play.* And with these Team B players elevated to Team A, expect ADMU to be back in the hunt next year.* Never count them out, NEVER!

i havent seen the B-team in action although im quite familiar with their individual play. Who are those 4-5 you are mentioning?

christian
10-03-2006, 10:51 PM
DLSU. With bruised egos, they'll be on a rampage next year.
UST
ADMU
FEU

israeli
10-05-2006, 03:16 AM
heard from the grapevine that Bogs Adornado is now closer to being appointed as the new Adamson head coach as he was tasked to coach the Falcons during the CCL. could Adornado and not Alex Compton be the next head coach of the Falcons?

BLUE HORSE
10-05-2006, 05:07 AM

Have you seen Ateneo's Team B in the FMC tournaments?* I don't think you have based on your statements.* The Blue Eagles have at least 4 or 5 players there who can easily be elevated to Team A and contribute significantly to the Katipunan cause.* Remember, basketball is a team game.* Norman Black is a great coach in instilling the essence of team play.* And with these Team B players elevated to Team A, expect ADMU to be back in the hunt next year.* Never count them out, NEVER!

i havent seen the B-team in action although im quite familiar with their individual play. Who are those 4-5 you are mentioning?

I suspect the players GreenArrows was alluding to are Nonoy Baclao, Mark Intal, Chris Matsumoto, Jeff de Guzman and Baldos/Estoesta.* How about a starting 5 consisting of Rabeh, Nonoy, Zion, Chris Tiu and Salamat for next year.* The second team will be hard pressed to come up with players who can score consistently.* Ateneo needs athletic wing players who can score and rebound.

Yeah, Adamson appointed Adornado as the new coach of Adamson.* Siguro naman, hindi na siya aantukin during team meetings.*

Will the UAAP need to increase security and have an ambulance available when LaSalle plays UST. There is some bad blood between the UST and LaSalle players this past preseason. Jervy Cruz introduced his elbows or is it fist to the nose of Brian Ilad during the summer FMC tournament. There was also a prior skirmish between team B players of both schools again involving Ilad and Cruz plus others. I think it was the Home and Away tournament.

Looks like Ryan Buenafe is ready to play college ball. If he is a junior in high school, Baste will go for a three peat. Young Valenzona will be crazy to let this boy get away but other schools are already knocking on the door of this boy this early. He is definitely destined to play for one of the UAAP schools. Surprise na lang!

green_minded
10-05-2006, 07:01 AM
Final Four:
UST
DLSU
Adamson
Ateneo

gfy
10-06-2006, 07:15 AM
Talked to Coach Valenzona. He will not stand in the way if Buenafe chooses Ateneo just like Salamat. He said Ateneo is an excellent school and takes very good care of its ballers.

israeli
10-06-2006, 09:58 AM
^ so he will just let go of Ryan Buenafe just like that? hindi ba niya iniisip yung possibility na mapunta si Ryan sa ibang UAAP teams (e.g. UP, DLSU and UST) or even sa Baste seniors?

john_paul_manahan
10-06-2006, 12:04 PM
methinks the coach trusts the player... he has faith in him, i guess... after all, it is ryan's future we are talking about...

pio_valenz
10-06-2006, 03:47 PM
^ so he will just let go of Ryan Buenafe just like that? hindi ba niya iniisip yung possibility na mapunta si Ryan sa ibang UAAP teams (e.g. UP, DLSU and UST) or even sa Baste seniors?

it's all about courtesy and respect for the individual. If going elsewhere is what Buenafe truly wants, then I admire the coach for respecting his decision and not forcing the issue. Hindi tulad ng ibang high schools, iniipit ang papeles ng mga star players nila to prevent them from leaving for another school.

I'm sure alam ni Coach valenzona na may possibility na mapunta si Buenafe sa ibang UAAP team. Hindi naman siya tanga eh. But like I said, he will obviously respect Buenafe's decision, whatever it will be.

israeli
10-06-2006, 11:32 PM
^ i see. kung sa bagay, maganda na rin yung hindi niya pinipilit yung bata. :)

however, hindi ba nagpaparamdam si Valenzona kay Buenafe na mag-stay na lang yung bata sa Baste para naman bumalik ang dating sigla ng Stags? ???

i came across PEx and started to read posts regarding those Tiong Lian players. meron ba sa kanila na dapat abangan as UAAP teams' prospects?

BLUE HORSE
10-07-2006, 12:17 AM
Yes! Pero hindi pa hinog! ??? Most of the recruitable players of the league come out of St. Jude, CKS, St. Stephen and Xavier. Wait and see the games in Jan..

gfy
10-09-2006, 05:39 PM
When I posted that Coach R. Valenzona said that "Ateneo takes very good care of its ballers" I meant that Ateneo has an excellent basketball program i.e. training, good facilities and academics as priority. In fact, Coach Raymond said - "Who wouldn't want to play for Ateneo?"

binocular
10-09-2006, 06:22 PM
anong year na ba ni buenafe?

gfy
10-09-2006, 07:06 PM
Junior pa lang.

binocular
10-09-2006, 07:43 PM
nagsalita na ba siya kung san siya most probably pupunta? si elvin pascual ng pcu?

israeli
10-09-2006, 11:59 PM
nagsalita na si Ryan Buenafe. he was not sure as to where he will head in college because he still has one more year with the San Sebastian Staglets.

as for Elvin Pascual, sabi nila baka mag-stay daw yung bata sa PCU.

israeli
10-12-2006, 12:51 AM
The Athletic Mind: Till Next Year
by Sid Ventura
http://www.ubelt.com/ub/uaap/mbb/story.aspx?id=1248

kaybee07
12-29-2006, 12:07 PM
Roel Hugnatan and the other big men of the Falcons will need to step up big time as Kenneth Bono is not likely to return to Adamson for UAAP Season 70. Should they fail to take their game to a new level then AdU will probably not be able to make it to the Final Four next year..

Jump_Shooter
12-29-2006, 05:26 PM
kaybee,

So it's true Bono doesn't want to play for Bogs Adornado?

kaybee07
01-02-2007, 04:56 PM
kaybee,

Hi J.S.! :)

It's not that Ken doesn't want to play for Coach Bogs. We don't want the guy to think Ken has a grudge against him or anything. It's just that, among other reasons, Ken feels he will be a better player under the guidance of Coach Leo Austria.

BigBlue
01-02-2007, 05:04 PM
kaybee,

It's not that Ken doesn't want to play for Coach Bogs. We don't want the guy to think Ken has a grudge against him or anything. It's just that, among other reasons, Ken feels he will be a better player under the guidance of Coach Leo Austria.

as welcoat's top pick for the 2007 draft? ;)

MonL
01-02-2007, 06:49 PM
kaybee,

Has there been any Falcon player whose development can be attributed to Coach Adornado's mentoring? Was Coach Bogs given a chance? I would like to think that if there was any facet of a player's game that can be honed by Coach Bogs outstandingly, that would be shooting. As far as that facet is concerned, Bogs would be a most competent mentor. After all, he was not called "Asia's Deadliest" in his prime for nothing. I'd like to think Ken's outside game had been influenced by Coach Bogs. Was it?

kaybee07
01-02-2007, 06:54 PM
kaybee,

as welcoat's top pick for the 2007 draft?* ;)

Even though Ken's not suiting up for the Falcons this season, he said he won't be joining the PBA Draft if he does not perform well with Cebuana Lhuillier. So we'll have to wait and see how things go in the next two PBL conferences, BigBlue. Pero syempre if you ask him he will tell you that he'd love to play under Coach Leo again in the PBA. :)

kaybee07
01-02-2007, 07:01 PM
kaybee,

Has there been any Falcon player whose development can be attributed to Coach Adornado's mentoring? Was Coach Bogs given a chance? I would like to think that if there was any facet of a player's game that can be honed by Coach Bogs outstandingly, that would be shooting. As far as that facet is concerned, Bogs would be a most competent mentor. After all, he was not called "Asia's Deadliest" in his prime for nothing. I'd like to think Ken's outside game had been influenced by Coach Bogs. Was it?

Hi Mon,

To this day, no Falcon player has defeated Coach Bogs in one-on-one shootouts and he definitely helped Ken improve his shooting. He was one of the top free-throw shooters in the UAAP and probably the best three-point shooting center in the league last year.

Pero sa akin lang there is more to effective mentorship than being a good shooting coach. But that's probably not the main issue here. Sana mali ako! I sincerely hope Coach Bogs can hone the remaining Falcons into shooters deadly enough to produce victories in UAAP 70.

MonL
01-02-2007, 07:17 PM
kaybee,

Hi Mon,

To this day, no Falcon player has defeated Coach Bogs in one-on-one shootouts and he definitely helped Ken improve his shooting. He was one of the top free-throw shooters in the UAAP and probably the best three-point shooting center in the league last year.

Pero sa akin lang there is more to effective mentorship than being a good shooting coach. But that's probably not the main issue here. Sana mali ako! I sincerely hope Coach Bogs can hone the remaining Falcons into shooters deadly enough to produce victories in UAAP 70.

kaybee,

Yes, what you said about mentoring is true. The players have to buy into the system and style of the coach. I don't want to think that there's more than meets the eye here. All I can say as an outsider and a pundit is that I hope this team can overcome its adversities as it had last year. I really would have wanted to see Ken carry this team one last time, though, so this news about him saddens me some.

kaybee07
01-02-2007, 07:44 PM
kaybee,

Hi Mon,

kaybee,

Yes, what you said about mentoring is true. The players have to buy into the system and style of the coach.* I don't want to think that there's more than meets the eye here. All I can say as an outsider and a pundit is that I hope this team can overcome its adversities as it had last year.* I really would have wanted to see Ken carry this team one last time, though, so this news about him saddens me some.

Naku Mon I wish I had the time and space here to tell you all the issues that made Ken decide to leave the Falcons pero mahirap naman at baka ma-accuse pa ako of being intrigera or one sided. Believe me pati si Ken mismo and ako syempre malungkot din na he won't be playing in the UAAP again. But I'd like to believe din that he's proven himself na in the league and that was probably going to be the best college ball performance he would ever give..

Jump_Shooter
01-02-2007, 08:17 PM
kaybee,

Obviously there are many things you cannot divulge here, and we certainly can respect that. But I just find it odd that Ken says he will forego his final UAAP season because he only wants to play for Coach Leo, yet he doesn't want to enter the PBA draft because he still wants to play for Cebuana Lhullier in the PBL.

It's also not a sure thing that Welcoat will be able to draft him if he does turn pro next year instead of this year. If you ask me, if he really wants to play for Welcoat, this year would be the best time for him to turn pro because Welcoat has a pretty good chance of getting the top pick.

But whatever he decides, I wish him the best.

kaybee07
01-04-2007, 09:22 AM
kaybee,

Obviously there are many things you cannot divulge here, and we certainly can respect that. But I just find it odd that Ken says he will forego his final UAAP season because he only wants to play for Coach Leo, yet he doesn't want to enter the PBA draft because he still wants to play for Cebuana Lhullier in the PBL.

It's also not a sure thing that Welcoat will be able to draft him if he does turn pro next year instead of this year. If you ask me, if he really wants to play for Welcoat, this year would be the best time for him to turn pro because Welcoat has a pretty good chance of getting the top pick.

But whatever he decides, I wish him the best.

Hi JS!

Just a few clarifications, Ken would rather play for Coach Leo but not only for him. And he wants to focus on performing well in the PBL muna so that when he applies for the PBA draft at least no one will say he is not yet prepared.

Right now he is recovering from an ankle injury he incurred at practice last week and he is doing extra work outside of his training with Cebuana to make sure he returns to his fighting form.

I agree with you though that this year's draft is the best time for him to turn pro especially since he wants to play for Welcoat. Kaya din he's working extra hard to show that he deserves to join the draft in spite of playing for the UAAP only for four years and the PBL for two.

Pero medyo off-topic na ata tayo dito. What do you think will happen to Adamson without Ken in UAAP 2007? Nagpaalam na sya sa mga teammates nya over the phone and the players themselves were all worried about their chances without him and were begging him to reconsider..

oca
01-04-2007, 11:31 AM
Gustuhin ko man isa-isahin ang mga chances ng 8 koponan, sa huli, nakikita ko lang ang UST at DLSU.

We all know that UST will have an intact lineup, losing only 2 players. That's a line up that is tall across the board who can shoot very well from the outside- with the exception of course of Japs Cuan. Then, alam na natin how good a motivator Jarencio is.

DLSU is wanting to slap the faces of the rest of the other 7 teams. ( Figure of speech lang yan, ha!) We know the core of the team, at pwedeng itapat kahit kanino. Franz Pumaren is still there, and his players obey his commands as if non-compliance would* mean their demise from the team.

Forget about the Xs and Os when these two teams are on court. Don't even talk about matchups. ( Lintek, para que hahayaan kong mangyari ang matchup kung dehado ako. Ano ang ginagawa ng zone-defense!) It's about mindset and mentality.

Jarencio knows how to motivate his players. Keep them relaxed and focused.

DLSU fears no one and cannot be intimidated.

If there are other teams with an equally talented lineup and who possess either of these qualities, sabihin niyo lang at isasama ko sa equation. Baka magbago ang resulta.

Sino ang mananalo?

If UST protects the ball at the backcourt and prevents DLSU from piling up points off turnovers, then UST should win. I don't think anyone can beat UST when it is able to set up at the front court. If DLSU is unable to force turnovers by the dozens, it will have to play very, very, very well at the half court to have a good chance of winning.

mighty_lion
01-04-2007, 02:50 PM
With seven months more to go, marami pa ang pwedeng mangyari. At this point in time im counting 3 teams to battle it out, UST, DLSU and UE.
1. UST has intact line-up to struggle it out and considering Jervy is able to add more range on his jumpshots nung CCL, this makes them more deadly. It wouldnt really matter if Cuan improves his jumpshots and FT shooting, they have lot of players who can shoot from the perimeter, baka makasama pa sa UST kung matutong tumira sa labas si Japs, his role is to run the team and push the ball inside. Another thing they have new recruit in Scott who is deadly shooter. Wag lang sana masira yong team chemistry nila now that most of the team are playing in PBL without Jervy. And hope, series of losses that they got in CCL and PBL wont affect thier winning attitude.
2. DLSU. With Pumaren at the bench, this team will always be in the F4 at the least no matter what.
3. UE. Nevermind having no Custodio caliber scorer next year. Borboran, Arellano, Martinez and Labagala is vastly improving these days. I just hope their veteran recruits wont lower down the teams chemistry. Year to year, this team is always strong, that is they start strong and loose gas come near-end.

Ateneo and FEU may come out with surprises but that would depend on how the remaining seven months will do for them, since these are in the rebuilding phase. But then, they capable and may pull out surprises come Season 70.

BigBlue
01-04-2007, 03:09 PM
^ hasnt borboran already maxed out his eligibility? 2 years with JRU plus 3 years (incl. residency) with UE?

binocular
01-04-2007, 07:06 PM
^ hasnt borboran already maxed out his eligibility? 2 years with JRU plus 3 years (incl. residency) with UE?

even if borboaran has not maxed out his eligibility, he would turn 25 before the uaap season.

anghusay
01-08-2007, 08:52 PM
3. UE. Nevermind having no Custodio caliber scorer next year. Borboran, Arellano, Martinez and Labagala is vastly improving these days. I just hope their veteran recruits wont lower down the teams chemistry. Year to year, this team is always strong, that is they start strong and loose gas come near-end.

I think Rob Labagala has maxed out his eligibility as well.

Mateen Cleaves
01-08-2007, 10:01 PM

I think they count playing years. The residency year doesn't count, I think.

AnthonyServinio
01-09-2007, 12:43 AM

I think they count playing years. The residency year doesn't count, I think.
To clear the basic UAAP eligibility rules, a player can see action as long as he does not exceed any of the following:

1. Five combined years of playing in the UAAP or its recognized leagues (ex. NCAA, NCRAA, etc.);

2. Seven years of studying counted from the date of high school graduation. Taking a leave of absence from school or if the player or the whole school gets suspended is counted to one's "studying" years;

3. Twenty-four (24) years of age by June 30 of the current school year.

gfy
01-09-2007, 07:36 AM
^^ So the cut-off is June 30. If a guy is already 25 by June 30, then he's not eligible. The 7-year rule, I think, is very simple. Anybody who graduated from High School in 2000 will not be eligible for season 70 or 2007. Next year, it will be 2001 for the year 2008 or season 71. And so on.

bigfreeze_bibby
01-09-2007, 10:08 AM

even if borboaran has not maxed out his eligibility, he would turn 25 before the uaap season.

Does this mean Borboran is already out of UE based on what AS posted re: UAAP eligibility rules? What I know Borboran should also be out of the UE lineup for July's basketball wars.

Leeanna20
01-09-2007, 09:02 PM
pwede po ba malaman kung sino sino yung mga player ng tiong lian na naka pasok sa UAAP? ;D

gfy
01-09-2007, 10:26 PM
I was told that Borboran has at least another year to play. And that the UE players in the PBL won't be playing anymore in the next conference to prepare for the UAAP.

ai_linn
01-10-2007, 02:06 PM
My foreccast to this year's season 70 of UAAP, just like according to somebody (also a member of this forum website) is obviously, no clear team-to beat-teams, no clear outstanding players, and no clear team standings. In short, a very exciting and suspense games will surprise us this upcoming season. Of course, there would still small collegiate leagues that will come first and more times for all different teams to prepare for this season. Yet, this is what* i want to happen in the final four:
* *1. DLSU
* *2, UST
* *3. UE
* *4. UP
* * * * * * * * * *I found this thread very less percentage of predictions for ue to remain in final four so I decided to add myself.* Hopefully, ue can make it!

jayverns
01-20-2007, 11:37 PM
tingin ko ito malalakas na team next season:

UST
DLSU
UE

codiak
01-21-2007, 06:18 PM
DLSU
ADMU
UST
UE

flsfnoeraekadad
01-22-2007, 03:15 PM
DLSU's still raw at this point in time. Maybe they're the best team on paper and on the opinions of insiders but I still won't put them afar from last year's UAAP titans UE, Ateneo, UST. As for Adamson, their future relies with Pat and Ken. Take those two away, and let's all get ready for another disappointing campaign. Plus the other teams have more surprises like UP who will get Ateneo star player Mike G. next year. So there's more a lot of work to do and the suspense just builds as we head to July 07.

Hindi pa nga tapos ang 2nd sem sports eh. ;D

Semenelin
01-22-2007, 05:15 PM
i am very very excited for the upcoming season of UAAP. ang daming sideshows to watch out for that I believe will make the race for the crown wide wide open.

UST - still intact lineup but the void of evangelista is still big. silang dalawa ni jervy yun talagang gumagawa ng paraan to open up the lanes for duncil and ababou at nagkikick out to espiritu whenever the defense drops down to the shaded area. pascual, is that you?(sana)

UP - like last year, sila pa rin ang may pinakamaraming ok na rookies. with the news of getting 3 fern boys and gamboa, thats 4 quality recruits(wow i can count!). plus the rumors that cruz might not go back makes it interesting how coach joe will handle the kids. serios as capt? interesting

FEU - dahil sobrang bago ng team na to at most likely si capacio na papalit, tignan natin kung ano na mangyayari sa kanila. deep resources but we dont know how they will fare during actual games.

NU - solid line up last year tapos si malagueno at si chris catamora lng yun nawala. if they get a good PG they could break in the final four

DLSU - team with the most talent, however a year without playing in a serious league is bad for any team. Yun homegrown cup panay team b karamihan, JRU lng yun nakita kong Team A yun kinalaban nila and yet we still saw some holes they need to fill up.

Adamson - with the rumors of bono and cabahug leaving, ano na mangyayari sa team na dapat ay seryosong lalaban para sa kampeonado? at pagkatapos ng UAAP 69 ay in-announce na aalis si austria. si adornado ata yun pumallit. at sa isang post nakita ko na baka over age na si hugnatan at si yong? and to top it all off, hindi na natin makikita si marvelous marvin poloyapoy. ang player na nakablue jersey at naka red na sapatos.

Ateneo - Kirk Long. 'nuff said(he alone makes it exciting)

UE - dindo at ang kanyang mga resbak. si fampulme plang yun nababalitaan kong bagong hatak nya pero marami yan, mga pumaren pa. hilig nila ng experience hire e. hhmm... malaking kawala pa rin si bonbon, sino kaya ang magstep up for them? will martinez finally play point(yun totoo) or will dindon but him at the 2 position(mas bagay at mas effective)

para sakin FEU and Adamson yun mukang mahihirapan pumasok ng F4(unless mabuhat ni cabagnot yun mga tamaraos at bumalik si bono and cabahug). kapag bumalik si bono at cabahug, baka ateneo naman ang mahirapan kasi medyo maliliit sila this coming year. i really am not sure. kaya exciting. kahit sa NU e naeexcite ako(seryoso) lalo na kung may makuha silang matinong PG.

opinyon ko lng po :D ;D

muddatrucker
01-22-2007, 06:27 PM

Has anyone here actually seen Kirk Long play (aside from the tryouts)? I'm an Atenean but I think we're gonna be in big trouble if we rely only on Kirk Long to get us into the F4 (unless he's as good a or better than LA Tenorio when he was a rookie). I think Ateneo should rely more on its Team B players that will make it to Team A next year than Kirk Long.

GHRanger
01-23-2007, 09:33 AM
Based on the Falcon's thread, Pat Cabahug will be playing this coming UAAP. If they can convince Ken to come in as well, Adamson will have a good chance at the final four.

binocular
01-23-2007, 11:16 AM

Has anyone here actually seen Kirk Long play (aside from the tryouts)?* I'm an Atenean but I think we're gonna be in big trouble if we rely only on Kirk Long to get us into the F4 (unless he's as good a or better than LA Tenorio when he was a rookie).* I think Ateneo should rely more on its Team B players that will make it to Team A next year than Kirk Long.

yup,saw him once.payat pa bata kaya yoko pang umasa talaga sa kanya.dapat role player muna siya who could contribute when needed.pero mataas ang basketball iq ng bata.when i saw him,slashing moves ang pinakita niya noon.was playing sa elite basketball noon.he has the potential pag nasanay na ang laro sa uaap at konting gym pa.

ai_linn
01-23-2007, 03:20 PM
Based on the Falcon's thread, Pat Cabahug will be playing this coming UAAP.* If they can convince Ken to come in as well, Adamson will have a good chance at the final four.

If ever Patrick Cabahug will be playing this nest seaon, it's much better he's doing well in PBL. I also hope Ken B. to play and sana lang hindi totoo yung mga rumors na aalis na siya. It may be a big lost to Adamson if he will leave ganda pa naman kapag nsa F4 yung team nila.

freak
01-23-2007, 09:01 PM
With the way things are, Bono will no longer play for AdU.. sayang lang pagbalik ni Cabahug, if there is no one to help him carry the team. Agustin needs to step up big time to be able to cushion the scoring loss of Bono. If these happens and at least one more Falcon backs up the two, ayos na sa F4 and AdU.

5FootCarrot
01-24-2007, 08:03 AM
Has anyone here actually seen Kirk Long play (aside from the tryouts)?* I'm an Atenean but I think we're gonna be in big trouble if we rely only on Kirk Long to get us into the F4 (unless he's as good a or better than LA Tenorio when he was a rookie).* I think Ateneo should rely more on its Team B players that will make it to Team A next year than Kirk Long.

yup,saw him once.payat pa bata kaya yoko pang umasa talaga sa kanya.dapat role player muna siya who could contribute when needed.pero mataas ang basketball iq ng bata.when i saw him,slashing moves ang pinakita niya noon.was playing sa elite basketball noon.he has the potential pag nasanay na ang laro sa uaap at konting gym pa.

I think a lot of people are excited about the prospect of Kirk Long coming in and this has given the impression that he's all Ateneo has in store for this coming season. I'm not claiming to be a mind-reader or even a team insider, but I'm pretty sure that our coaches aren't so dumb as to pin all their hopes on one guy, and an incoming freshman at that (if he does go to Ateneo - I'm not in the know about that either). Perhaps Kirk is the highest-profile recruit for Ateneo at present, but trust in the coaches - there is more in store for next season out there! :)

binocular
01-24-2007, 10:00 AM

I think a lot of people are excited about the prospect of Kirk Long coming in and this has given the impression that he's all Ateneo has in store for this coming season. I'm not claiming to be a mind-reader or even a team insider, but I'm pretty sure that our coaches aren't so dumb as to pin all their hopes on one guy, and an incoming freshman at that (if he does go to Ateneo - I'm not in the know about that either). Perhaps Kirk is the highest-profile recruit for Ateneo at present, but trust in the coaches - there is more in store for next season out there! :)

there is so more point guards for next season? ;D

BigBlue
01-24-2007, 10:03 AM
binocular, your fixation on our point guards and your over-all pesimistic view is turning me off. i say this: Ateneo has the tools, the equipment to do well next season. this time last year, most, if not all were not confident about our chances for Season 69. how could a team lead by a bumbling Kramer, an over-acrobatic Escalona and and inconsistent Intal succeed? they proved us wrong, and we went as far as the finals.

let's trust our coaching staff. they know what theyre doing.

binocular
01-24-2007, 10:10 AM
binocular, your fixation on our point guards and your over-all pesimistic view is turning me off.

so?bakit di ba totoo na puro guards.di kita tinitira wag mo akong pakialaman ok?!hirap sa inyo,hype kayo nang hype! ::)wala naman pala binatbat sa dulo yun nakuha.if your getting turned off,well i am furious sa ginagawa niyo!wake up and grow up sa mga pinapantasya niyo!rodrigo baby!

5FootCarrot
01-24-2007, 11:58 AM
Hey, binocular, just because there aren't any forwards being recruited (that we know of) doesn't mean that next season's lineup will consist only of guards. You seem to forget that Coach Norman specializes in teaching forwards and like BigBlue, I trust that he's not going to neglect the bigs like you seem to think he's doing.

If you don't like the direction that the coaches are taking with the team, that's fine, you're entitled to your own opinion; but it is possible to air your views in a mature and non-antagonistic manner. I think you would be doing us all a favor if you at least calmed down here in the forums.

full battle gear
01-24-2007, 12:14 PM
binocular, I do not mean to pick on you but it seems like you have been antagonizing quite a number of people here in the different forums. Learn to disagree with the other forum members without being rude or condescending. This serves as your first warning.

salsa caballero
01-24-2007, 06:04 PM
As for me, I only wish Kirk really intends to play for us for a LONG time. Another one or two year wonder is not what we need...nonetheless, he is not the only rookie who can bring home the BACON. I'm also happy to note that the trials of JOBE seem to be over. Do we get to see him back in Team A? Speaking of call-ups to Team A, there are rumblings inside the BALDOS' gate that bode well for Mike's entry. A high school buddy is also JEFF-initely making a good case for himself if reports are to be believed. Am I dreaming? Well, nothing WONG with that. After all, in a UAAP hoops league teeming with Goliaths, it wouldn't hurt if a consensus "undersized" Ateneo team pulled a DAVE on the rest of the field...justincase "it" doesn't happen ;)

binocular
01-24-2007, 06:29 PM
binocular, I do not mean to pick on you but it seems like you have been antagonizing quite a number of people here in the different forums.* Learn to disagree with the other forum members without being rude or condescending.* This serves as your first warning.*

i am just saying my opinion and then they started picking on me.classic "epal".you know what i mean.why are you prohibiting me from doing this?e sila nga mga misleading infos binibigay at parang nantitrip pa eh.may warning din ba?rude does not mean nambabastos na talaga ko so why niyo ko bibigyan ng warning.hello yung semen na pinansin ko,feeling atenista pa at kung anu ano sinasabi para magmukhang atenista at nangunguha pa na info kaya ginulo ko rin.i-trace niyo nga muna bago kayo magsalita!

muddatrucker
01-24-2007, 06:51 PM
[i am just saying my opinion and then they started picking on me.classic "epal".you know what i mean.why are you prohibiting me from doing this?
You're free to express your opinion in a mature way. Criticizing the Ateneo coaching staff is fine, but doing it every chance you get, sometimes even when it is off topic, is stupid and annoying.

rude does not mean nambabastos na talaga ko so why niyo ko bibigyan ng warning.
::)

hello yung semen na pinansin ko,feeling atenista pa at kung anu ano sinasabi para magmukhang atenista at nangunguha pa na info kaya ginulo ko rin.i-trace niyo nga muna bago kayo magsalita!

I can't find that post right now but IIRC, all that guy did was ask about Ateneo recruits then you started telling him to leave and "stop trying to steal our recruits". WTF is up with that?

binocular
01-24-2007, 06:59 PM
[i am just saying my opinion and then they started picking on me.classic "epal".you know what i mean.why are you prohibiting me from doing this?
You're free to express your opinion in a mature way.* Criticizing the Ateneo coaching staff is fine, but doing it every chance you get, sometimes even when it is off topic, is stupid and annoying.

hello yung semen na pinansin ko,feeling atenista pa at kung anu ano sinasabi para magmukhang atenista at nangunguha pa na info kaya ginulo ko rin.i-trace niyo nga muna bago kayo magsalita!

I can't find that post right now but IIRC, all that guy did was ask about Ateneo recruits then you started telling him to leave and "stop trying to steal our recruits".* WTF is up with that?

wow sawsaw naman!haha stupid and annoying?eh yung pantitrip niyo di ba nakakabwisit?

wala tayong pakialamanan mga lolo. ;D

mighty_lion
01-24-2007, 11:46 PM
You're free to express your opinion in a mature way.* Criticizing the Ateneo coaching staff is fine, but doing it every chance you get, sometimes even when it is off topic, is stupid and annoying.

I can't find that post right now but IIRC, all that guy did was ask about Ateneo recruits then you started telling him to leave and "stop trying to steal our recruits".* WTF is up with that?

wow sawsaw naman!haha stupid and annoying?eh yung pantitrip niyo di ba nakakabwisit?
wala tayong pakialamanan mga lolo. ;D

guys, its getting far away to the topic. lets just focus on the topic. There is nothing else everyone of us would wish for but world peace ;)

admu14
01-25-2007, 02:13 AM
i think f4 next year would be:

dlsu
ue
ust
feu

i'll just watch ateneo first without any expectations.just support them.kung papalarin salamat!

ONE BIG FIGHT

full battle gear
01-25-2007, 11:37 AM
binocular, I do not mean to pick on you but it seems like you have been antagonizing quite a number of people here in the different forums. Learn to disagree with the other forum members without being rude or condescending. This serves as your first warning.

i am just saying my opinion and then they started picking on me.classic "epal".you know what i mean.why are you prohibiting me from doing this?e sila nga mga misleading infos binibigay at parang nantitrip pa eh.may warning din ba?rude does not mean nambabastos na talaga ko so why niyo ko bibigyan ng warning.hello yung semen na pinansin ko,feeling atenista pa at kung anu ano sinasabi para magmukhang atenista at nangunguha pa na info kaya ginulo ko rin.i-trace niyo nga muna bago kayo magsalita!

People are reacting to your posts because they are perceived as rude and condescending. You should learn how to argue your points without being antagonistic.

I don't think Semenelin (you can at least learn his correct usernae) was trying to get information for the purpose of plotting against your school. I've read the BEN forums and the regulars there have been pretty open about your recruits for next year so it's not like that's a big secret.

My assumption is that people are posting the truth in these forums. If they choose to post "misleading infos" then that is their business. If you choose to believe them, then that is yours.

BigBlue
01-25-2007, 12:00 PM
My assumption is that people are posting the truth in these forums. If they choose to post "misleading infos" then that is their business. If you choose to believe them, then that is yours.

siguro na-kuryente na dati si binocular dahil sa info na na-pulot nya dito... kaya siguro sya sobrang bitter. one more thing "walang pakialamanan" is one of the lamest lines you can bring up in a forum like this. kung ganun nga, why bother to post at all? grow up. please.

Out_Of_The_Blue
01-25-2007, 05:18 PM
binocular, your fixation on our point guards and your over-all pesimistic view is turning me off.

so?bakit di ba totoo na puro guards.di kita tinitira wag mo akong pakialaman ok?!hirap sa inyo,hype kayo nang hype! ::)wala naman pala binatbat sa dulo yun nakuha.if your getting turned off,well i am furious sa ginagawa niyo!wake up and grow up sa mga pinapantasya niyo!rodrigo baby!

Can you prove that Rodrigo does not exist?

JonarSabilano
01-25-2007, 05:23 PM

Can you prove that Rodrigo does not exist?

Naaalala ko tuloy ang legendary na tanong ni Padre (daw): "Prove to me that this chair doesn't exist."

freak
01-25-2007, 09:17 PM
Naaalala ko tuloy ang legendary na tanong ni Padre (daw): "Prove to me that this chair doesn't exist."

thanks, for bringing that up jonar.. lalo sumakit ulo ko dito ..ehehe arrgh!
:D ;D :D

Jump_Shooter
01-25-2007, 10:13 PM
Pasensya na po, nagkaproblema ang Internet access sa amin, ang hirap pasukan ang gameface. Ngayon lang ako nakabalik. Thanks, full battle gear, for pinch hitting while I was away.

All right, everyone get back to the topic. Not that I want to pass on this "problem" to my fellow mod 5footcarrot, but if you want to fight over Kirk Long, Rodrigo (whoever he is), Ateneo's guards, Ateneo's forwards, or Ateneo's coaching staff, then BEN is the place for you - even if it's apparent carrot's patience has also worn thin over there.

And I thought this forum would only be busy from June to October. :P

john_paul_manahan
01-26-2007, 06:19 AM
as long there are hot recruits out there... the heat will remain on...

LION
01-26-2007, 01:49 PM
My assumption is that people are posting the truth in these forums.* If they choose to post "misleading infos" then that is their business.* If you choose to believe them, then that is yours.*

siguro na-kuryente na dati si binocular dahil sa info na na-pulot nya dito... kaya siguro sya sobrang bitter. one more thing "walang pakialamanan" is one of the lamest lines you can bring up in a forum like this. kung ganun nga, why bother to post at all? grow up. please.

Ako na-kuryente na rin. buti na lang di halata. ;D

ai_linn
02-02-2007, 03:03 PM
Ei there...long time no posts fRom me. I've read the recent posts masyado na ngang lumalayo yung topic so dagdag ko na lang to:

With the way things are, Bono will no longer play for AdU.. sayang lang pagbalik ni Cabahug, if there is no one to help him carry the team. Agustin needs to step up big time to be able to cushion the scoring loss of Bono. If these happens and at least one more Falcon backs up the two, ayos na sa F4 and AdU.

so talaga ngang di na babalik si Bono sa Adu. And i think it doesn't mean they will never* heve a big chance to the finals although i don't have specific idea about there new recruits but i have this feeling may ibubuga pa rin sila sa season & 70. And speaking of Kenn, ang "sayang" ay yung natalo sila sa Harbour Centre(sa Pbl po 'to sorry kung off topic). Ganda sana ng crucial time performance niya dun eh it really reminds me about the UAAP. Well, after all this long message, ito pa rin ang prediction ko:DLSU, UE, UST, UP

boyscout
02-03-2007, 06:35 PM
My Final Four Prediction
DLSU
UST
UE
UP/Ateneo

Im hoping though for a La Salle sweep in all Divisions (Mens, womens and Juniors) come season 70. ;)

DEBT COLLECTOR
02-09-2007, 03:28 PM
My Final Four Prediction
DLSU
UST
UE
UP/Ateneo

Im hoping though for a La Salle sweep in all Divisions (Mens, womens and Juniors) come season 70. ;)

I agree.* UST, ADMU, UE and DLSU will be in the Final Four. Asoro can't do it alone for NU. FEU didn't make it then with Chan and Villanueva, they won't make it now without them. Adamson has no chance without Bono. UP has no chance, period. Tama ba, Mr. Olivares?

DLSU won't sweep anything. The gym floor, maybe.* Correct, Ricky?

Jump_Shooter
02-10-2007, 03:01 PM
Who is Mr. Olivares and who is Ricky? Care to further explain why UP has no chance?

jancarlo
02-10-2007, 09:35 PM
Hmm. Ateneo at UST ang malakas sa Women's and Junior's Basketball next year. La Salle is a contender though pero there's still FEU, UP and Adamson in both women's and junior's tournament.

jancarlo
02-10-2007, 09:37 PM

Marc Agustin told me that Ken Bono and Patrick Cabahug will still play for next year. :)

israeli
02-11-2007, 12:16 AM
^ ha? talaga? :o

baka naman si Cabahug lang yung siguradong babalik sa Falcons. si Bono daw kasi, sobrang decided nang mag-PBA. ???

flsfnoeraekadad
02-11-2007, 12:26 AM
Kasing-laki ni Ken Bono yung effort at scoring na dapat ibigay ng Adamson to fill the void na iniwan ni Bono to give them some chance.

ai_linn
02-20-2007, 07:44 PM
Ang gara talaga ng UAAP. There were many famous and nice players but some of them, because of a desire to prioritize their career and not their alma mater, the school got no chance to win. Maybe teamwork is a best policy in sport, but, "scoring-machine look a like" players just like Marvin Cruz and Kenneth Bono were their effective weapons to continue hoping hard to win every game in this prestigious collegiate league.

Semenelin
02-20-2007, 08:24 PM
My Final Four Prediction
DLSU
UST
UE
UP/Ateneo

we have a near similar prediction:
UST
DLSU
UE
wildcard pa para sakin ang pangapat na pwesto. I really think ADMU/UP/Adu have a chance to get that. Adamson will definitely get it if both Bono and Cabahug plays. UP got, will play, a lot of new and ready to play rookies and if the leftovers matures, maganda pagkakataon nila. ADMU is in a wait and see mode for me. They still have good players pero feeling ko hahanapin nila ang leadership ng isang player sa loob ng laro. last year they got 3 veterans na kaya tlaga maguide yun mga kakampi nila. if two or more of them do step up, ganda rin. sa aking opinyon lng yan.

flsfnoeraekadad
02-20-2007, 09:47 PM
Ateneo's still a force to reckon. They tamed the streaking Archers in last Saturday's HAIL action by a considerable margin. They were the first time to put a stick in the loss column of the Archers' HAIL campaign. Though it was only a battle of second/third stringers, it only signifies that the Eagles can get significant contribution from their bench players when the situation needs them to deliver. So I think I'm more lenient in Ateneo going into the Final Four.

But really, I want an ADMU-DLSU-UP-UST Final Four. Not only will it be a clash of the country's top four educational institutions, pero sure hit din ito sa mga SCALPERS. ;D

kaybee07
02-21-2007, 03:12 PM
Ang gara talaga ng UAAP. There were many famous and nice players but some of them, because of a desire to prioritize their career and not their alma mater, the school got no chance to win. Maybe teamwork is a best policy in sport, but, "scoring-machine look a like" players just like Marvin Cruz and Kenneth Bono were their effective weapons to continue hoping hard to win every game in this prestigious collegiate league.

I think it's a bit unfair to overgeneralize that all players who opt not to finish their playing years in the UAAP only do so because they prioritize their careers over their schools. Sometimes even though a player still wants to be part of his team, circumstances such as a falling out with his coach or maltreatment by his school's officials might force the guy to cut his UAAP career short.

GHRanger
02-21-2007, 04:13 PM
^ Kasama na rin doon ang pangangailangang pinansyal ng player at ng kanyang pamilya.

arhtmahn
02-28-2007, 12:23 AM
UE will surely be in the Final Four. Most probably in the top 2 seeds. They have shaken off the effects, if any, of the Bonbon Custodio fiasco. They have been doing well in the off-season tournaments as they always do. They have the players and the coach(es) to win consistently, but the question with UE has always been DO THEY HAVE THE CHARACTER TO GO ALL THE WAY?

UST's ‘06 champion team is practically intact. Nobody in UST wants to admit it, but the best thing that happened to the team wasn't the hiring of Pido Jarencio, it was the season-ending injury of Jemaal Vizcarra. The championship has distracted them thoroughly so their unheralded assistant coach has a more formidable job ahead of him this time around. The players will be harder to convince to get off their laurels and the coach will be harder to control. They already have a winning formula that ensures them of at least a Final Four spot. The question is, HOW MUCH LATITUDE WILL THE COACH BE GIVEN TO TINKER WITH THE SYSTEM?

DLSU has and will always be a contender simply because their program has relative stability and continuity. Nobody in DLSU wants to admit it, but it was almost a Godsend that they were suspended when they were about to field the weakest DLSU team in recent memory. This 2007, they have a better than average chance of getting into the Final Four because their team gained a year of seasoning and the field will be significantly weaker this coming season. The question is, WILL ANOTHER ELIGIBILITY SCANDAL CROP UP AT THE MOST INOPPORTUNE TIME TO KILL THEIR MOMENTUM?

ADMU, like DLSU, has a solid program and, just like DLSU, they will be competitive because of the exodus of talent from the other teams. Nobody in ADMU wants to admit it, but it was long after they lost in the championship series that they remembered that they were not even supposed to be in finals at all. After this reality check, they don’t expect lightning to strike twice so they’re now branding themselves as the dark horse. The question is, WILL THERE BE ANOTHER BLUE EAGLE WHO WILL RISE FROM RELATIVE OBSCURITY TO HELP THEM OVERACHIEVE AGAIN?

FEU is still sulking after failing to make it to the Final Four last year. The drastic measures taken by their decision-makers have not had any evident positive effects. Morale is low and practically everybody has written them off this early. While their recruitment system has made sure that they have the talent, the question with FEU is DO THEY HAVE THE KIND LEADERSHIP ON AND OFF THE COURT TO TAKE THEM TO THE FINAL FOUR?

At the start of the movie Troy, Brad Pitt as Achilles, after quickly disposing of the opposing army’s champion, arrogantly asks, “Is there no one else? Is there no one else?” The answer simply is NO. Nobody else has the talent pool to match the top five teams this coming season. Granted that there will be an upset or two, but any gambling man/woman who knows how the sport is played wouldn’t bet big on it.

Ken Bono was not happy camper with AdU in ’06, but was inspired by Coach Leo Austria. His supporting cast was effective but unappreciated. Without Bono, Austria and possibly Cabahug, Adamson is in for a short season. No Final Four appearance repeat.

UP arguably had the best power forward and scoring guard in ’06, but nobody else stepped up consistently. The trademark controversies that seem to hound Joe Lipa-coached teams did not help any. Without David and Cruz, UP is going nowhere near the Final Four if they don’t have tickets to watch.

Edwin Asoro is tired. Tired of having to carry NU on his back season after season. The flashes of brilliance they displayed in 2006 were more the result of inspired coaching than anything else. Asoro will play well enough again to get heads nodding, but he can’t lead them to the Final Four and he certainly won’t risk injuring himself trying.

bchoter
03-02-2007, 02:09 PM
1. UE - I'm betting on them nabbing the top spot with a solid core and a supporting cast that will probably start with half of the UAAP teams and they're a year wiser with some solid PBL experience. Plus they'll be playing with a chip on their shoulders with the bonbon issue derailing them.
2. DSLU - another team with an axe to grind. They still think that the league conspired against them and that is extra motivation for them. They probably have the strongest roster on paper and they still have 4 months to get back to UAAP form. They'll crowd UE at the top.
3. ADMU - the ol' Black magic is their biggest edge. But the departure of Macky, JC, and Kramer will weigh against them in the latter stages.
4. UST - the element of surprise is gone and they're now the hunted. Allan had played a big role in steadying the Tigers. With him gone he leaves a huge void in leadership. Jojo may be clutch but he's too mild mannered. Japs may be the leader this year but he gets flustered at times.
5. FEU/UP/NU - Montinola gave the impression that the Tams are rebuilding. But if you look at their squad you'll see old hands who've been playing for Team B for quite a while. All they need is actuall UAAP games. UP will have a lot newcomers who need to familiarize themselves with their teammates and the system. But coach Joe's brilliance will compensate. NU is, again, being overlooked. But with one more year under Manny Dandan will go a long way for the Bulldogs. They will still be led by Asoro and Ferndandez, who both had great games in against better opposition in the PBL. These three are my wildcards who can easily knockout UST if hte Tigers lower their guards.
8. Adamason - No coach Leo. Possibly no Bono. Spells disaster.

gfy
03-04-2007, 09:45 PM
As of now, I also have Bchoter's final four teams but not necessarily in that order. I am now hearing though that Bono will play this season for Adamson.

time1513
03-05-2007, 12:29 AM
my final four....

UST - Jervy Cruz might be the best or second best behind Bono in terms of big man in the UAAP! Duncil will be tough to guard. watch out for their role players like Ababou, Espiritu,and jun dizon.

DLSU - simple. one of the greatest amatuer coaches of all time franz will be pressing hard on their opponents. rico should step up and watch out for their new comers.

UE - like dlsu has a good program under coach Dindo. will rely once again on speed. but will the fact that they lack a true post up threat hurt them?

Adu - if Bono plays then they will be contenders. Cabahug has improved a lot and the pbl proved to be a good exposure for him.

Dark Horses.

ADMU - Black is still Black and could come up with a lot of surprises.

UP - young. hungry. but with most of their rookies entering their 2nd season will it help them or hurt them?

glock23
03-06-2007, 01:44 PM
ADMU, like DLSU, has a solid program and, just like DLSU, they will be competitive because of the exodus of talent from the other teams.* Nobody in ADMU wants to admit it, but it was long after they lost in the championship series that they remembered that they were not even supposed to be in finals at all.* After this reality check, they don’t expect lightning to strike twice so they’re now branding themselves as the dark horse.* The question is, WILL THERE BE ANOTHER BLUE EAGLE WHO WILL RISE FROM RELATIVE OBSCURITY TO HELP THEM OVERACHIEVE AGAIN?

you gotta be kidding right? ADMU expected nothing less than the championship in season 69! the reality check that hit them long after they lost the series to UST was that they blew it! Just keepin' it real man!

canmaker
03-06-2007, 04:37 PM
You are certainly entitled to your opinion Glock. If Ateneo had Aguilar and Bughao last season, then surely Ateneans would have expected it ... As it was, the good record of Ateneo the last season was not expected .... The team just gelled very well in the summer before the uaap.

=====

ADMU, like DLSU, has a solid program and, just like DLSU, they will be competitive because of the exodus of talent from the other teams.* Nobody in ADMU wants to admit it, but it was long after they lost in the championship series that they remembered that they were not even supposed to be in finals at all.* After this reality check, they don’t expect lightning to strike twice so they’re now branding themselves as the dark horse.* The question is, WILL THERE BE ANOTHER BLUE EAGLE WHO WILL RISE FROM RELATIVE OBSCURITY TO HELP THEM OVERACHIEVE AGAIN?

you gotta be kidding right? ADMU expected nothing less than the championship in season 69! the reality check that hit them long after they lost the series to UST was that they blew it! Just keepin' it real man!

arhtmahn
03-06-2007, 05:18 PM
ADMU, like DLSU, has a solid program and, just like DLSU, they will be competitive because of the exodus of talent from the other teams. Nobody in ADMU wants to admit it, but it was long after they lost in the championship series that they remembered that they were not even supposed to be in finals at all. After this reality check, they don’t expect lightning to strike twice so they’re now branding themselves as the dark horse. The question is, WILL THERE BE ANOTHER BLUE EAGLE WHO WILL RISE FROM RELATIVE OBSCURITY TO HELP THEM OVERACHIEVE AGAIN?

I truly commiserate with your perception of reality. You're a DLRTian and you are dead sure of what the Ateneo community expected last season. I bet you also believe in the Matrix. Is that you, Neo?

Jump_Shooter
03-06-2007, 05:28 PM
No bashing, please.

kaybee07
03-07-2007, 03:37 PM
As of now, I also have Bchoter's final four teams but not necessarily in that order. I am now hearing though that Bono will play this season for Adamson.

Where did you hear this from gfy?

Ken Bono is NOT going to play for Adamson this year..

freak
03-08-2007, 06:52 AM

Where did you hear this from gfy?

Ken Bono is NOT going to play for Adamson this year..

there you go.. straight from kaybee.. no Bono for AdU ;)

gfy
03-08-2007, 11:11 AM
I posted before that Bono's gf said that there's 80 % chance Bono won't be playing this season. Pero sabi ng some Adamson players dun sa Adamson- FEU game sa HAIL last week ay maglalaro daw si Bono. Matanong nga kay Fr. Max CM. ;)

5FootCarrot
03-08-2007, 01:31 PM
I think Fr. Max will say that Ken Bono is coming back, but the fact remains that a reliable source has stated that he isn't.

There's some further explanation on the differing information on the issue in this thread (http://www.gameface.ph/forums/index.php?topic=896.0).

Kid Cubao
03-08-2007, 01:43 PM
I posted before that Bono's gf said that there's 80 % chance Bono won't be playing this season. Pero sabi ng some Adamson players dun sa Adamson- FEU game sa HAIL last week ay maglalaro daw si Bono. Matanong nga kay Fr. Max CM. ;)

ultimately the decision to return next season or jump straight to the pros will be up to ken bono. they may try to persuade, cajole, and get down on their hands and knees to make him stay, but if ken has already made up his mind to leave, wala silang magagawa.

gfy
03-08-2007, 10:57 PM
Of course it's Bono's decision. I'm in favor of amending the UAAP rule to allow them to apply for the PBA draft and still play for the UAAP. I think the NCAA allows this.

bigfreeze_bibby
03-09-2007, 07:36 AM
Of course it's Bono's decision. I'm in favor of amending the UAAP rule to allow them to apply for the PBA draft and still play for the UAAP. I think the NCAA allows this.

The bad effect for this is that nag-iingat na yung ibang players after ma-draft sila. They won't give that 100% energy and commitment for their respective schools during the course of the competition kasi nga naman baka ma-injured pa sila at ma-risk ang pag-sign sa kanila ng team na nag-draft sa kanila. I am sorry but this was what I noticed kay Boyet Bautista and Aaron Aban last year sa Letran. Ang laki ng pinagbago ng agressiveness nung dalawa sa NCAA after the annual rookie draft.

I maybe wrong here baka iba opinion ng iba pero these are just my 2 cents worth.

Kid Cubao
03-09-2007, 09:10 AM
actually pati si gabby espinas naging pa-petik-petik na rin ang laro after last year's draft. si jason castro ang bumitbit sa PCU sa finals vs san beda nung nakaraang taon.

nel
03-09-2007, 09:50 AM
It's hard to blame the players if they tend to take it easy after getting drafted. This is what they aspired and worked their butts off for - the chance to earn big bucks playing in the PBA. I don't know if the PBA contracts will cover or protect the draftee if he's injured wihile playing in the NCAA or any other amateur league prior to playing his first game with his PBA team.

Remember, getting in and staying in a PBA team is difficult, given that the league has a fixed number of teams and that every year, the best amateurs apply for the draft. There are only so many vacancies in the league, so if a player feels he will be drafted and assured of a slot on a team, he may just decide to forego his eligibility in the UAAP, or play not to get hurt in the NCAA.

Who can really fault them for trying to ensure the first couple of years of their livelihood in the PBA?

david64
03-09-2007, 08:15 PM
From what I know, there still is a good chance that Bono will be back. Some people are advising him to do so, but since the UAAP is still 3 1/2 months away, anything can happen.

Adamson will have some pretty good recruits, though.

gfy
03-09-2007, 10:10 PM
These PBA draftees are of course so good that even if they play not to get hurt or below their usual level and intensity some coaches would still prefer to use them than the others. Let's leave the decision to the schools and the coaches and the players by getting rid of that rule unless there are other compelling reasons.

Adamson will be a formidable team with Bono and Cabahug. They might just break into the final four again.

kaybee07
03-13-2007, 03:02 PM
I think those who are saying Bono is returning to Adamson are those who haven't seen/spoken to him since the last UAAP tournament or those who are not aware of the unpleasant events that transpired after he won the MVP award.

I can assure you that unless may magbago sa ginagawa ng school admin sa player na ito, Bono is NOT returning to Adamson for this year's tournament.

Carrot and some of the other regular posters in this forum should agree that I'm a reliable source when it comes to this issue, right friends?

5FootCarrot
03-13-2007, 03:41 PM
Yes, kaybee, that's why I haven't been able to believe statements that he's coming back to Adamson next year, even if school administrators and other players have said so. As far as I'm concerned, if it comes from you, it's as good as coming from Ken Bono himself 8)

gfy
03-13-2007, 03:54 PM
If you say so Kaybee. I just posted what I heard from Hugnatan and other sources. So if he's not coming back, then he's not coming back. ;)

person
03-13-2007, 07:44 PM
can i ask why is he not coming back???is it the same reason as marvin's???to join the draft???i can understand that...i also read that he's getting married to his girlfriend...

israeli
03-14-2007, 12:31 AM
^ well, the most probable reason is that both Ken Bono and Marvin Cruz would seek the chance to get drafted in the PBA given the fact that they have become "star players" in the UAAP and that the demand for them to play in the PBA would be very high.

kung magkaganun nga, si Jervy Cruz lang ang mag-isang member ng 2006 UAAP Seniors' Mythical Five na maglalaro this coming season.

kaybee07
03-15-2007, 10:12 AM
Let's just say Ken Bono isn't coming back because of a "falling out" with Adamson school officials..

israeli
03-15-2007, 03:06 PM
^ oooooppppsss! that's weird. i thought that was only applicable to the case of Patrick Cabahug? ???

5FootCarrot
03-15-2007, 03:47 PM
Well, you know, it is possible to have problems with more than one person at a time.

israeli
03-15-2007, 04:43 PM
^ i know, pero ang akala ko kasi ay personal decision ni Ken Bono kaya aalis siya sa Falcons bukod sa mataas ang stock niya ngayon, thus increasing his chance to play in the PBA very soon. oh well... late breaking developments such as what Kaybee said sure is surprising.

i am very curious about the developments with the NU Bulldogs. if we keep on hearing news about the seven members of the UAAP (UP, Ateneo, La Salle, UST, FEU, UE and Adamson), itong NU ay sobrang tahimik. :o

kaybee07
03-15-2007, 09:20 PM
Ken and Pat had similar issues with the Adamson admin, it's just that the school took action to resolve Cabahug's problem but not Bono's. I guess Ken should take that as a sign that he should move on. May karapatan na rin naman siguro yung tao mag-apply for the PBA draft this year..

Ang narinig ko naman sa NU is that only Malcontento and Catamora are not returning this season. They have a new player daw, Aguilar from San Sebastian. I think the other UAAP teams should not take the Bulldogs for granted because their three best players Asoro, Lingaolingao and Fernandez are still in their lineup.

5FootCarrot
03-16-2007, 07:44 AM
Hoy, magagalit si Jahnke at hindi siya kasama sa "best players"! ;D

Seriously, I think it's kind of hard to see where NU is going at this point in time at least in terms of new players. They use the offseason tournaments - including the summer league where (on the average) school teams are more or less formed and are working on developing cohesion - as tryouts, so it's going to be difficult to keep track of all the new faces. I agree, though, that no matter what happens, they shouldn't be taken lightly. Fernandez in particular did very well in the recent PBL tournament, and I'm sure he and all his teammates, whether rookies or veterans, will give the other teams a good fight next season.

joelex
03-16-2007, 12:37 PM
is howard flor still playing next season? there were nasty rumors directed at him at last seasons end IIRC.

Kid Cubao
03-16-2007, 01:07 PM
howard flor has already left school last year.

person
03-16-2007, 06:32 PM
Ken and Pat had similar issues with the Adamson admin, it's just that the school took action to resolve Cabahug's problem but not Bono's. I guess Ken should take that as a sign that he should move on. May karapatan na rin naman siguro yung tao mag-apply for the PBA draft this year..

Ang narinig ko naman sa NU is that only Malcontento and Catamora are not returning this season. They have a new player daw, Aguilar from San Sebastian. I think the other UAAP teams should not take the Bulldogs for granted because their three best players Asoro, Lingaolingao and Fernandez are still in their lineup.

is this the aguilar that participated 2 years ago in the bantay bata slam dunk contest???sayang naman umalis cya sa baste...he did not suit up last season dahil sa injury..tpos ppnta n cyang nu???ilang year nalang cya maglalaro niyan...he should have just stayed

admu14
03-16-2007, 08:51 PM

is this the aguilar that participated 2 years ago in the bantay bata slam dunk contest???sayang naman umalis cya sa baste...he did not suit up last season dahil* sa injury..tpos ppnta n cyang nu???ilang year nalang cya maglalaro niyan...he should have just stayed

yung aguilar yung medyo maitim.nasa nu na siya ng fmc last year.saw him vs. admu noon.parang si robert "truck" taylor ang itsura.

christian
03-16-2007, 09:04 PM
raymond aguilar yata nam nun...

nash_bedista
03-17-2007, 12:07 PM
dating San Sebastian Stags yan.

admu14
03-17-2007, 03:17 PM

is this the aguilar that participated 2 years ago in the bantay bata slam dunk contest???sayang naman umalis cya sa baste...he did not suit up last season dahil* sa injury..tpos ppnta n cyang nu???ilang year nalang cya maglalaro niyan...he should have just stayed

the one who participated sa slamdunk is japeth aguilar of admu.

Mateen Cleaves
03-17-2007, 05:10 PM
raymond aguilar of san sebastian DID participate in the 2005 Bantay Bata slam dunk event... as did japeth of ADMU. :)

Mhel_Garrido
03-20-2007, 10:17 AM
1. UE - I'm betting on them nabbing the top spot with a solid core and a supporting cast that will probably start with half of the UAAP teams and they're a year wiser with some solid PBL experience.
2. DSLU - another team with an axe to grind.
3. ADMU - the ol' Black magic is their biggest edge.
4. UST - the element of surprise is gone and they're now the hunted.
5. FEU/UP/NU - Montinola gave the impression that the Tams are rebuilding. But if you look at their squad you'll see old hands who've been playing for Team B for quite a while. UP will have a lot newcomers who need to familiarize themselves with their teammates and the system. NU is, again, being overlooked. But with one more year under Manny Dandan will go a long way for the Bulldogs. 8. Adamason - No coach Leo. Possibly no Bono. Spells disaster.

As of now, I think UE is top pick then UST, and DLSU because as of now they are the more cohesive teams with a lot of returnees. ADMU's fate will depend on how well they will do in this off season. Same with FEU. Both can go all the way depending on when they will peak during the UAAP Season. NU and AdU will be contenders and i think UP will have just give a good run in the second round.

Howard the Duck
04-28-2007, 09:01 PM
Season 70 F4:
UST
UE
DLSU
UP

paul_tamaraws
04-29-2007, 06:56 PM
my final four-cast for season 70:

1. DLSU
2. UST
3. UE
4. FEU

liu yang
05-11-2007, 06:50 PM
i think it'll be a battle between the pumaren's, marvin cruz no longer playing for up, also ken bono is heading pro. coach leo will be a fulltime coach for welcoat. admu lost intal, kramer and escalona hu's all be trying luck for pro... eventhough ust still has duncil but he's allegedly overaged, a bigman like allan will be a big lost. feu still adjusting... only red warriors and green archers has a "complete line up", having a starters who all played well for PBL, red warriors sure will a big threat

bchoter
05-12-2007, 06:09 PM
... eventhough ust still has duncil but he's allegedly overaged
And who made the allegations? Care to expound?

augustine
05-17-2007, 12:08 AM
From the info on Pex he is okay age-wise (24 years old at the start of the season). But when did he graduate from high school? There is still the 7 years from high school rule.

Jeep
06-04-2007, 11:42 AM
... eventhough ust still has duncil but he's allegedly overaged
And who made the allegations? Care to expound?

augustine, bchoter:

don't know about PEX (being what it is), but perhaps a more reliable source would be libre, the tabloid published by the inquirer and distributed to riders of the metro manila trains. there is no online copy to link you guys to, so i'll just copy the pertinent paragraphs. btw, the article is entitled "ang hiwaga sa tunay na edad ni king tiger" (subtitled "1982 o 1983 ba sinilang si jodun") taglined by dennis u. eroa. here goes:

"Siya ang naging tagayan ng kahusayan sa makapanindig-balahibong 2006 UAAP men's basketball Finals.

Gumawa siya ng pinakamalakas na ugong sa gitna ng mga atunga sa pagitan ng magkalabang dilaw at asul na bumalot sa umaapaw na Araneta Coliseum. Naukit sa isipan ng mga tagamasid ang ngalang Jojo Duncil, ang King Tiger na bumuhat sa University of Santo tomas sa titulo laban sa Ateneo Blue Eagles."

moving on to the pertinent provisions:

"Ayon sa isang tagamasid na may kaugnayan sa mga kaganapan, hindi bababa sa dalawang karibal na iskul ang handang umeksena at pigilan ang paglalaro ni Duncil. 'Ang masama nito ay payagang makapaglaro si Jojo ngunit sa kalagitnaan ng liga ay biglang ilabas ang mga di-umano'y katibayan na hindi eligible si Jojo. Magiging sanhi ito ng pagkatalo ng UST sa lahat ng laro na lumaban si Jojo," sabi ng source sa isang eksklusibong interbyu sa isang mall sa Maynila.

"Ayon sa kautusan, hindi na puwedeng sumali sa liga ang isang 25-taon-gulang na atleta.

"Upang ibaon na sa limot ang mga katanungan gumawa ng pananaliksik ang Libre at ito ang mga nangyari. Nakakuha ang Libre ng mga patunay mula sa Divina Pastora Parish sa Apalit na si Joselito M. Duncil, anak ni Flaviano at Helena duncil ay sinilang noong Enero 13, 1983. Nakasaad dito na bininyagan siya noong Mayo 1, 1983 ni Rev. Fr. Leobardo Montoya xxx. Pirmado ito ni Rev. Fr. Reynaldo P. Garcia, kasalukuyang kura paroko.

"Tiniyak rin ng office of the Civil Registrar sa Apalit na isinilang si Duncil noong Enero 13, 1983 at ito ay tinala noong Marso 13, 1983. Pirmado ito nina municipal civil registrar Erlinda Danganan at civil registry clerk Leonila B. Villanueva.

"Ngunit hindi dito natatapos ang suliranin. Matapos na itala na 1983 pinanganak si Duncil ay muling nagkaroon ng ikalawang rehistrasyon sa Apalit civil registrar noong 1989 at dito ay 1982 na siya pinanganak. Dahil sa tinatawag na 'clerical error' nagkaroon ng di-umano'y pagkakamali sa marka ni Duncil sa National Statistics Office sa East Avenue.

"Nakuha ng Libre ang sertipikasyon mula NSO at malinaw na sinasabing 1982 pinanganak si Duncil at kung ito ang susundin, 25-taon-gulang na si Duncil at hindi na ito maaaring maglaro sa UAAP. Walang duda na ang dokumento mula sa NSO ang pinakamalaking batayan ng eligibilidad ng isang manlalaro sa ligang gaya ng UAAP.

"Dahil dito, ang bola ay nasa kamay ng UST upang patunayan sa madla at sa UAAP eligibility board na siya ay 1983 pinanganak."

the article does not end there, however, but goes on to continue quoting the unnamed source, who says that, if the NSO were asked to issue a certification (pagpapatunay), it would show that jojo was born in 1982 and not 1983 as the microfilm source shows the latter as the year of birth. it's not like jojo is the only one who has this problem, the source says, as countless other filipinos have this same problem. jojo himself was interviewed, saying that truth is on his side, and that he will be able to play without any hitches -- that he will turn 25 only in january 2008.

anyway, it will be sad -- and totally unfair to jojo and UST -- if the said plot to come out with this evidence in the middle of the season materializes. so, in fairness to all of us UAAP fanatics, the board better deal with this issue now, and not when the season is in full swing.

i was told the board is meeting today, and that the soc rivera eligibility/redshirting issue will be discussed. i hope they talk about jojo's case, as well, and not choose to ignore it or sweep it under the rug, hoping it goes away. we need the board to be pro-active about all these issues. it's just too bad that these controversies are coming up in waves, but with a high-profile league like the UAAP, one can expect these things to -- like the proverbial excrement -- hit the fan.

Wingman
06-04-2007, 12:17 PM
I predict that Ateneo will go all the way. They have the most fearsome backcourt in Long and Tiu. With Monfort subbing for these 2 guys, their backcourt is a winner. Plus with Arao and Jobe manning the paint, other teams will be hard pressed to rebound against these 2 great guys.

BTW, ok ang board. Tanggalin mo lang si Montinola.

Out_Of_The_Blue
06-04-2007, 11:23 PM
^^^^Fiction. DLSU has a more potent guard rotation in TY Tang (the best pg in the UAAP), JV Casio (the best shooting guard), Cholo Villanueva, Badeer Malabes, Simon Atkins, and Rejan Lee. Their frontline also has the awsome duo of Batricevic and Walsham to complement Meirhoffer, Ilad and Mangahas. They all stand at least 6-5 to 6-6. No way can other schools' frontline match-up with these DSLU giants.

I agree. Dapat matanggal si Montinola.

tigerman
06-05-2007, 12:20 AM
Somebody here who could post the FINAL and OFFICIAL schedule for the 1st round of the upcoming season.
Thanks...

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

shyboy
06-05-2007, 12:30 AM
^^You're too nice. * The Archers may look good on paper individually but with the way La Salle played against Mapua this afternoon, it's still a long way to go before the team becomes cohesive enough on both ends of the court to be a contender.

There's still some thick dust that needs to be shaken off. *I predict La Salle will lose at least two games in the first round elims. *The ability to adjust will be key in the second round.

Mas madali sabihin ang chances ng La Salle after the first 3-4 games.

tigerman
06-05-2007, 01:29 AM
While I may agree that Ty T@ng is the best pg right now (with the exit of Cruz, Villanueva and Escalona) I beg to disagree that Casio is the best 2-guard. I will rank him at no.3 after Duncil and Tiu with Arellano of UE a close 4th.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

the_red_one
06-07-2007, 07:42 PM
Batricevic- injured during UE game -1, plus malabes and walsham can't play together, both foreigners!

Joescoundrel
06-14-2007, 09:40 AM
Lasalle won two championships in four days: the Fil-Oil cup and the Nike summer.

UE won the last HAIL.

Ateneo defended the FMC Open.

All this time the UST Tigers were making a complete mess in the PBL, not winning a single game...hmm...

FEU was in the thick of the Nike summer, UE was in the thick, period.

Ah, but then again the UAAP is an altogether different set of circumstances. This should make for an interesting Season 70.

aguila
06-14-2007, 06:13 PM
My predictions? I say ADMU, DLSU, UE, and UST will be in the final4. FEU is a dark horse.

Message edited. Watch it, aguila. Consider this a warning.

gameface_one
06-21-2007, 09:06 AM
Ateneo settles for spoiler's role

By Nick Giongco
mb.com.ph

ATENEO HAS gone the extra mile in its bid to make a dent in Season 70 of the UAAP basketball wars, where, unlike last year when it was one of the favorites, the team is merely regarded as a "dark horse."

In preparation for the July 7 opening at the Araneta Coliseum, Blue Eagles coach Norman Black brought his team to the US and Canada recently where they focused mainly on "individual and team training."

"We played one game in (Las) Vegas and one game in Vancouver," said Black yesterday as he was getting prepared to call the shots when the Blue Eagles face off with the University of Guam in a friendly.

The overseas training stint lasted two weeks and Black believes this year’s batch, made up mostly of young players, "is a very good team" but obviously "lacks experience" that he thinks will be acquired during the progress of the tournament.

"We’ve been playing non-stop and taking part in tournaments like the Fr. Martin’s Cup," said Black, who is in his third year as coach of one of the league’s top draws.

Gone are star forward JC Intal, point guard Macky Escalona and back-up forward Doug Kramer and Black tapped 6-foot-5 Noynoy Baclao of Bacolod, shooter Kirk Long of Faith Academy and Ateneo juniors MVP Raymond Austria to beef up the squad that will have veteran playmaker Chris Tiu as its leader.

Emman Monfort, considered to be a creative guard, is seen to add depth to Black’s bench.

As with fellow coaches, Black points to La Salle as title contender along with defending champion University of Santo Tomas with the other teams not to be taken lightly.

Last year, Ateneo thought it had the title in the bag when it took the series opener versus UST this year’s host.

But the Tigers clawed back to life and went on to rack up two straight victories.

Ateneo last won the UAAP diadem in 2002 when LA Tenorio, Larry Fonacier, Rich Alvarez, Wesley Gonzalez and Enrico Villanueva were still around.

animoateneo
06-22-2007, 12:07 AM
sending the team for training in the US was a very sly move on our part. though it only lasted for two weeks, it shielded the team from any unnecessary publicity that would have turned into scouting info for our competition. of course any college basketball fan knows better than to underestimate a team especially this coming season 7 where no one is a clear cut front runner.

GreenArrows
06-22-2007, 05:20 AM
Batricevic- injured during UE game -1, plus malabes and walsham can't play together, both foreigners!

Malabes and Walsham can play anytime in any combination as both are FIL-FOREIGNERS. Please be sure of your facts before posting. Thank you.

canmaker
06-30-2007, 01:08 AM
Nagbago na kaya ang lahat ng predictions, ngayon at biglang sumali si DUNCIL sa pba draft???

pokpok
06-30-2007, 02:45 AM
ngyon nawala na si duncil at batriecivic .... GO UE WARRIORS!!!! but be quiet and HUMBLE ....

casual_observer
06-30-2007, 02:48 AM
i will never underestimate the heart of a champion (UST) and a team that is itching to do revenge (DLSU). ;)

freak
06-30-2007, 04:04 AM
Nagbago na kaya ang lahat ng predictions, ngayon at biglang sumali si DUNCIL sa pba draft???

He did? :o ::) ???

bchoter
06-30-2007, 12:02 PM
I'm having the Tigers as the darkhorse together with FEU behind DLSU, UE, NU, and ADMU

jstd
06-30-2007, 01:04 PM
my final 4...
..admu
...dlsu
....feu
.....ust

canmaker
06-30-2007, 04:33 PM
USTe will miss their fearless leader, who was not afraid to take the big shots during end-game. But expect USTe to compete with its very talented line-up, and with the real GEM in its brain trust, Beaujing Acot ... This is not put Pido down (as he is a great motivator), but to duly honor Asst Coach Acot ...

=====

I'm having the Tigers as the darkhorse together with FEU behind DLSU, UE, NU, and ADMU

Howard the Duck
06-30-2007, 04:36 PM
with the last minute lineup "changes," here's my revised pre-season rankings:

1. DLSU
2. UE
3. UST
4. UP

venom
06-30-2007, 11:00 PM
USTe will miss their fearless leader, who was not afraid to take the big shots during end-game. But expect USTe to compete with its very talented line-up, and with the real GEM in its brain trust, Beaujing Acot ... This is not put Pido down (as he is a great motivator), but to duly honor Asst Coach Acot ...

=====

Canmaker

well said!

Last season I couldnt help but notice that during timeouts the UST coaching staff would hold a short powwow in the court with Beaujing doing all the talking using that diagram board. After the short meeting he'd turn over the board to Pido who in turn would start talking to his boys.

Mel
06-30-2007, 11:24 PM
Why didn't UE hire him after the Boysie Zamar era?

Me predicts a lasalle-ust final.

bowtoBLUE
07-02-2007, 12:04 PM
everyone is counting us out but we're still in it to win it. GO ATENEO!!!

canmaker
07-02-2007, 02:02 PM
Coach Acot coaches a HS team from QC, the Benedictine Intl School (formerly Benedictine Abbey of QC). I don't think that it's a big school (baka kaya hindi pa siya high profile). Aside from an association with Pido Jarencio, interestingly enough, he does some coaching work with ADMU's Coach Black outside of the college scene. Ito yata yung Burlington coaching clinic ...

====

Why didn't UE hire him after the Boysie Zamar era?

Me predicts a lasalle-ust final.

bluewing
07-02-2007, 02:17 PM
everyone is counting us out but we're still in it to win it. GO ATENEO!!!

hayaan mo sila.

casual_observer
07-02-2007, 02:19 PM
^ sabihin na natin na there are some teams that are touted to be this year's Final Four and Finals contenders but the truth of the matter is that UAAP Season 70 will be the most leveled competition in the league's history. walang malinaw na angat, wala ring malinaw na kulelat. lahat ay unpredictable, kaya nga masyado pang maaga para sabihin natin na kulelat si ganito o magiging champion si ganito.

dickismael69
07-02-2007, 04:52 PM
My Final 4 Predictions (With no particular order):

--> UP[/b]
--> ADMU
--> DLSU
--> UST

cl.blue.24
07-02-2007, 06:28 PM
my final four prediction :

DLSU (we can all agree La Salle will be a very strong and dominating team this season.)
UST (they are the fresh champions in the UAAP, they will be a contender even with the loss of Duncil.)
UE (UE, in my opinion, has always been a strong team.)
ADMU (Ateneo is not a very strong team compared to last year. But with the new additions, we will make it to the final four.)

ONE BIG FIGHT!

Dark Knight
07-02-2007, 06:46 PM
Dont count out FEU. They might surprise everyone.

Sure they are the first champions who failed to enter the F4 the following year.

But in 2002, they also failed to enter the F4 but won the championship the next year. (2003).

shyboy
07-02-2007, 07:35 PM
^ Di naman sila disbanded nung 2002. They had excellent holdovers who went on to win in 2003.

This year's FEU team, however, is almost made from scratch. One look at them though even without their jerseys you can tell its an FEU team. ;D

The talent they have might give them a good shot at a Final Four slot but still short of being championship contenders. Maybe next year.

casual_observer
07-02-2007, 07:41 PM
i love it when i read praises are being posted towards the highly touted teams. i am honestly starting to doubt if these highly touted teams are humble enough to work for the win or they are, well, simply too overconfident that their overconfidence will eat them alive, paving the way for the underdogs, the ones with the real urge to win, to comprise this year's Final Four. ;) ;D

the highly touted teams should deeply understand the meaning of the saying "he who flies high crashes hard." :o

nel
07-02-2007, 09:30 PM
I disagree that there are highly touted teams that are heads and shoulders above the rest. The league is more balanced this year. NU should be considered as a serious final four contender, just like FEU, UE, Ateneo, UST, La Salle. Even UP could compile enough wins to make it. About the only team that may not be in the race is Adamson. That's 7 out of the 8 schools that could conceivably make it. Every game will count, so expect each team to go for the jugular once the ball is tossed. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a logjam of 5-6 teams fighting for slots at the end of the elims.

christian
07-02-2007, 09:42 PM
Dont count out FEU. They might surprise everyone.

Sure they are the first champions who failed to enter the F4 the following year.

But in 2002, they also failed to enter the F4 but won the championship the next year. (2003).

Basta one thing's for sure with FEU... ganda ng courtside reporter nyo :) Si Anton ba ang nag recruit dito? :)

casual_observer
07-02-2007, 09:44 PM
Basta one thing's for sure with FEU... ganda ng courtside reporter nyo :) Si Anton ba ang nag recruit dito? :)

ABS-CBN po. ;D

hanep! ang sarap na ngayon manood sa TV ng UAAP games. :D