PDA

View Full Version : FEU Tamaraws Disbanded; Flores Stays

atenean_blooded
09-19-2006, 12:52 AM
FEU disbands dethroned Tams but keeps Flores

The Philippine Star 09/19/2006

Reeling from the impact of its failure to defend the UAAP men’s basketball crown, Far Eastern University yesterday disbanded the Tams after failing to even make it to the Final Four.

Anton Montinola, the school’s senior representative to the UAAP board, made the announcement a week after his Tams dropped out of the semifinal race following a 68-70 loss to the Ateneo Eagles.

The Tams thus became the first defending champion squad to crash out of the semis since the Final Four format was adopted in 1998.

Montinola, however, clarified that the coaching staff, headed by Bert Flores, remains intact.

"The team has been disbanded although the coaching staff stays," said Montinola.

The disbandment would mean players will be stripped of their allowances and dormitory privileges although Montinola assured the scholarship will remain should they opt to continue to study at FEU.

"The scholarship will continue if they still want to study," said Montinola.

Flores, on the other hand, hopes that the FEU management will still give them another chance.

"We’re still holding on and hoping we’ll be given another chance," said Flores, who steered the Tams to the 2005 crown on a team built around Arwind Santos.

With the breakup, FEU is expected to recruit new players and activate some from its second team.

The squad is also expected to tap some of the players from its high school team slated to dispute the juniors’ crown with Ateneo.

"Definitely we have ample high school talent. We will elevate them to Team B next semester for training. We must improve next year," said Montinola.

He, however, stressed that players who will be eligible for next season will not be allowed to play in the Philippine Basketball League.

Among the Tams who saw action this season, only Jeff Chan, Jonas Villanueva and Francis Barcellano were allowed to play in the PBL since they’ve already played out their final year in the UAAP.

"Ateneo and UST did it, and it worked for them that’s why they’re successful this season," Montinola said. — Joey Villar

oca
09-19-2006, 09:34 AM
Flores stays?

He should be the first to go.

Emotionally, he is not cut for the job. Mas nerbiyoso pa siya sa mga players niya. I remember that last game, when Chan gave FEU their last taste of the lead, mangiyak-iyak ang mukha ni Flores! Akala mo game winning shot yung pinasok. Samantalang malaki pa oras, ayun talo.

I mean, hindi katanggap-tanggap yan sa isang coach. Okay lang "bumigay" ka after the game, pero hindi pa tapos ang laro. Coaches should serve as a stabilizing force from the sideline.

If FEU does keep him, it will be a "continuous build up for the team".

LION
09-19-2006, 09:42 AM
Quitting on your team just after one season is tragic. Dapat ang tanggalin si Bert Flores. I know for a fact that the alumni of FEU tried to convince Coach Koy Banal to return to FEU but Banal politely declined their offer and told them that he is very happy where he is now.

Mel
09-19-2006, 10:05 AM
Shouldn't be time for Anton M. to be coaching the team? It's been like 15 years he is on the bench. He must have gained experience and knowledge by now.

If Flores stays, he has a good lineup to work with in Team B with Cabagnot and other big men.
Plus add the core of Baracael, Gerilla, and Fernandez....this team will still be better than UP next year.

MonL
09-19-2006, 10:08 AM
Quitting on your team just after one season is tragic.* Dapat ang tanggalin si Bert Flores. I know for a fact that the alumni of FEU tried to convince Coach Koy Banal to return to FEU but Banal politely declined their offer and told them that he is very happy where he is now.

Oo nga, eh. I'm sure may sumulat na nga ng liham kay Coach: "Dear Coach Koy, please come back...all is forgiven." *:P

Ghostrider
09-19-2006, 10:12 AM
Me thinks this is a knee jerk reaction by FEU management.

However, having met both Anton Montinola and Mark Molina, I don't think they would have resorted to this if there wasn't something "sinister" going on. The four game losing streak and the their almost miraculous rebound required a suspension of rational thought on my part.

Hopefully these are just "scare tactics" and the parties resolve this matter quickly and more importantly, quietly.

My $ 0.02 worth.

Apocrypha
09-19-2006, 10:35 AM
Is there a precedent for this? What exactly does "disbandment" mean? I think FEU has a solid core of players that can only get better by next season, so are they off the team as well? It does sound like that this announcement was more for show than anything else. FEU could just as easily have held tryouts while quietly declaring that all spots on the the team are vacant, meaning all existing players need to prove their worth again.

shyboy
09-19-2006, 11:26 AM
Baka naman may kailangan itago. Does this mean gone are the days when FEU will have its core with ages ranging from 22-25 y/o?

thor
09-19-2006, 12:38 PM
it looks spiteful and short-sighted. i don't see feu being objectively better than the final four teams this year, so why punish the team? i think the tamaraws will be feeling the repercussions of this move for a long time. maybe montinola feels his team B is loaded, but you don't just cut loose players with UAAP experience like that.

MonL
09-19-2006, 12:53 PM
Mala-"courtesy resignation" ito, and all players will have to undergo tryouts to earn a spot. Kaya buo pa rin yung coaching staff. Yun lang ang maaaring maging positive spin dito.

5FootCarrot
09-19-2006, 12:59 PM
This is weird.

I can't understand why FEU would say that it's doing something this drastic, unless like Ghostrider said, there's more to this than just getting eliminated from the playoffs. :( I, too, hope that this matter gets resolved quickly and quietly.

Joescoundrel
09-19-2006, 01:45 PM
Why in the world would anyone disband a team just because of one bad season? Did FEU really expect to just waltz back to the Finals and defend their crown? They lost between 60-65% of their scoring, rebounding and shotblocking from their title season last year when Arwind Santos and Mark Isip finished their college careers. Yes, they were defending champions and it was painful seeing them on the wrong end of a score. Yes, they actually had the talent to make a serious return run to the Finals. Yes, they were, at least on paper, still a tall, talented, experienced team. But NO, it was no guarantee they would repeat as champs. Take a look at the first round when they went a dismal 2-4. That could have easily been 4-2 or at least 3-3; those defeats could have easily been wins had they just gotten a lucky bounce or two their way.

Ghost is right, this is strictly a kneejerk reaction. There MIGHT be something a bit more sinister afoot, but I doubt it is of such a magnitude that they would have to do something this drastic. And I agree with one of the other members: If anyone should go it should be Bert Flores, since he is clearly not cut to be a fulltime headcoach on a program this good. Now every critic has been seemingly proven right - Bert Flores was merely lucky he had one heckuva team last season. This collapse should be placed more on his shoulders than anyone else's.

shyboy
09-19-2006, 02:50 PM
Like everybody else, the proper strategy should've been to immediately form the nucleus of next year's squad and have it compete in the other leagues.*

The disbandment meant that allowances and several benefits were removed from the players.* I don't think that was a good decision.* Usually, management pins the coach for bad performance instead of putting the blame on the players.* Stripping the players of their benefits is a harsh punishment, specially considering that several of them were even members of last year's championship run.

pio_valenz
09-19-2006, 03:54 PM
Is there a precedent for this? What exactly does "disbandment" mean? I think FEU has a solid core of players that can only get better by next season, so are they off the team as well? It does sound like that this announcement was more for show than anything else. FEU could just as easily have held tryouts while quietly declaring that all spots on the the team are vacant, meaning all existing players need to prove their worth again.

According to the news report, "disbandment" apparently means the remaining players will no longer have dormitory privileges and monthly allowance, but will still have their athletic scholarship should they choose to stay at FEU. That means everyone's pretty much free to go.

I had heard FEU was having some internal problems during the season but I didn't think it was this bad. If you ask me, there's more to this than meets the eye. Methinks Montinola and Co. no longer know which players they can trust, hence the need to start from scratch.

Fried Green Tomato
09-19-2006, 05:20 PM
Is montinola trying to make a statement? ???

Honestly, i really don't get it. As story says the players will no longer get monthly allowances and dormitory privileges but if they still want to study, they can continue their athletic scholarship???

For athletes this is very cruel. Let's be honest here... most of these players are not as fortunate as the players from Ateneo, La Salle and even UP getting their monthly allowances & free dorm from the institution + additional (whatever) support from magnanimous alumni. Some are just dependent on the allowances being given by the school and the free lodging provided and if you take away both, how are they going to survive?

They are leaving the players with no choice but to quit schooling even if there's an athletic scholarship.

I think montinola (feu) is setting a bad precedent here. Just because they had a miserable year, they are going to put the blame and persecute these poor players?

Jump_Shooter
09-19-2006, 05:26 PM
^Agree. Even though the scholarship stays, for some of these players it's not as simple as that. When they joined FEU, it was under the assumption that they would be able to stay in a dorm for free plus have a regular allowance. Many of FEU's players are from the provinces and they just can't easily get money to cover board and lodging all of a sudden.

Parang hindi sincere gesture yung keeping the free scholarship. It's like FEU is making it the players' choice to leave if they don't like the current arrangement.

israeli
09-19-2006, 11:18 PM
what's bogging Anton Montinola's mind right now? FEU's lost pride after the departure of Arwind Santos, Mark Isip, RJ Rizada and Denok Miranda? goodness! he should have also punished the FEU coaching staff for their misdoings! ::)

jembengzon
09-20-2006, 05:44 AM
whatever happened to the saying, "players win games, coaches lose them ?"

freak
09-20-2006, 11:53 PM
^ well in this case, the players lost :-[

oca
09-21-2006, 08:34 AM
From what I was told, Team B players are not losing much from what Montinola had announced about the cut in players' privileges.

As for the Team A players, a number of them have contracts to play in the forthcoming PBL conference and a few have definite plans of applying for the PBL draft scheduled for Oct 13. So, many can actually fend for themselves.

The intention of the press release or the act itself was to sack players without naming them publicly. Kaya, pag may nabalitan kayong lumipat ng iskul, or di na bumalik sa FEU after getting a contract sa PBL, yun na yun.

After the PBL draft, a new team will be formed. Then all privileges will be restored for Team A players.

But still, personaly, I still believe it is Flores who should have been the recipient of this kind of action and not the players.

mighty_lion
09-21-2006, 09:06 AM
Yep, it should have not been the players who is cut. FEU have good players at thier roster. Rebuilding a team after loosing marque players in Santos and Isip is not an overall responsibility of the new and current players but the coaching staff who trains and mentors the team. Obviously when Santos and Isip was out, the signature interior defense and dominating rebound department of FEU is gone. This is something that Koy Banal trained the big mens of FEU. The coaching staff should have done long time preparations to train newcomers, and considering most of the players are rookies, you cannot really expect they play what Santos and Isip had in the last three years. Masuerte si Bert Flores last year, kahit siguro sinong new coach handling such a matured and steady line-up, mag-chachampion.

FEU have a good Team B last year, in fact I admire thier new players coming off this years season. Its just the coach was not able to capitalize on what kind of talent thier players have. Coaching is not just about telling players do this and this. Its also assuming overall responsibility over the team. Sad to say its a lone blame to the players as to what happened to FEU. Sorry to say, but that is very uncharacteristic, walang puso. Matapos mong hatakin lahat ng players na maglaro sa Manila (i know most of them are prize recruits from provinces), iiwan mo na lang basta sa gitna dahil hindi umabot sa final four ang team mo. Your players did what they can do, in fact they reached and fought with their heart up to the last chance of getting in the last place for the final four. :-[

Im not from FEU, Im a bedan. But my symphaty is with the players not with the coaching staff. Admin actions are just unjustifiable!

mighty_lion
09-21-2006, 10:30 AM
Off a bit out of topic but I cant stop to share my thoughts of FEU players.

Way back last year when I was watching Team B of FEU vs. San Beda, there are lot of good big mans with skills on that roaster. It is not just good big mans, but players with inside plays. Sam Ekwe was just an intimidating presence then waiting to block shots inside the paint. Sam doesnt even know how to rebound for the ball, na-oout of balance pa sya for rebounding. He is just there standing at the middle for blocks on the defensive side and screens in the offense. At that point in time, FEU big mens find Ekwe's defense and offense to raw against their skills. Baracael, the 6'3 or 6'4 guy with polished inside plays even posterized Sam with a in your face dunk. He was the only one who was able to dunk in front of Sam as far as I know. That time, I know he is a player to watch come uaap season. Not just Baracael, there's a lot more players with skills and talents, far better than what Sam can do. Limiting this story to big mens', that point in time, they have outrebounded Sam despite the height advantage because of thier polished skills. From that time to date, if there's a big difference between Sam and big mens of FEU its because how the coaching staff milestones. Coach Koy and Freddie Abuda done a great job with Sam. How about Coach Flores? Now, back to the real question, Is it really the players fault after all of this? Why punish them?

There are thousand ways to kill a chicken. What I saw in this situation is having an atomic bomb to kill a single chicken. To the feu admin, just to share a simple thought, come to think of it, there are still 999 better ways to kill a chicken.

mangtsito
09-21-2006, 01:34 PM
Much ado about how Flores should have been the one sacked.

But I think Flores should have taken the initiative and submitted a courtesy resignation.

Mel
09-21-2006, 01:38 PM
Baracael, the 6'3 or 6'4 guy with polished inside plays even posterized Sam with a in your face dunk. He was the only one who was able to dunk in front of Sam as far as I know.

OT: Japeth Aquilar in the Home and Away League.

Mel
09-21-2006, 01:39 PM
....twice

Wang-Bu
09-22-2006, 04:13 PM
Akala ko ang common lang namin ng FEU 'yung kalye ng R Papa kung nasaan ang Lepanto gate namin at ang kanila namang gym na suking venue ng FMC. Mukhang pati pala sa hinalaan at kapraningan pagdating sa bintangan magkasabay pa kami...

whiplash
09-23-2006, 05:36 AM
isnt the management bound by a contract to its players?

i mean arent the players eligible for board and lodging as part of their varsity athlete contract? just a question for clarification

5FootCarrot
09-23-2006, 07:24 AM
I don't know whether such contracts exist, but the point is that the school has stripped the players of their varsity athlete status. So whether or not there is a contract stipulating that varsity athletes are entitled to some benefits is moot because the players in question are no longer recognized as such.

bluetruck
09-23-2006, 03:33 PM

i mean arent the players eligible for board and lodging as part of their varsity athlete contract?* just a question for clarification

contracts? there goes your student-ahtletes.

bluebruiser90
09-23-2006, 04:44 PM
^May Employer-Employee relationship. Pag nagkataon, hindi sa korte ang demandahan, sa National Labor Relations Commission.

BigBlue
09-23-2006, 06:33 PM
^May Employer-Employee relationship.

so the players are considered pros?

bluetruck
09-23-2006, 09:42 PM
feu's pronouncement to get players from their junior squad seemed to rub off on the guys as can be seen by the way they played during game 1 of the finals

bigfreeze_bibby
09-24-2006, 07:57 PM
To be honest, Anton has a good crop of guys in his FEU-FERN and FEU-B teams. But kawawa naman talaga yung mga players na tinanggalan ng dorm and allowances. I dunno how will they stay to keep up for their expenses sa school (should they continue to study). Ganun ba ka-sobrang disappointed si Anton for his team not reaching the final four this year? He should have realized that his team is not that strong as compared to the previous seasons.

israeli
09-24-2006, 08:35 PM
^ he must realize that the FEU's glory days ended when Santos, Rizada and Isip left for the PBA. he must be open to the fact that the Tams are now in the cellar and it would stay that way for years to come (magkakasama sila ng UE sa ibaba at parang mas lamang pa ng isang paligo sa kanilang dalawa ang NU) unless some miracle happens during the off-season prior to the 2007-2008 UAAP season.

p.s.: graduating na ba si Jonathan Banal ng FEU-FERN? if yes, saan kaya siya pupunta, sa FEU Tamaraws ni Bert Flores o sa San Beda Red Lions ng tatay niya na si Koy Banal?

atenean_blooded
09-25-2006, 01:47 AM
MVP is said to have asked the Blue Eagles what they wanted as a prize if they won the championship. Incentives.

The team declined to give a straight answer then.

My suggestion is this:

That instead of a trip to Hong Kong or whatnot, they should just ask MVP to finance dorms for the FEU players who got kicked out of the team.

That way, the Blue Eagles won't be playing just for themselves. And they'll be doing a service to others.

oca
09-25-2006, 08:05 AM
^ he must realize that the FEU's glory days ended when Santos, Rizada and Isip left for the PBA. he must be open to the fact that the Tams are now in the cellar and it would stay that way for years to come (magkakasama sila ng UE sa ibaba at parang mas lamang pa ng isang paligo sa kanilang dalawa ang NU) unless some miracle happens during the off-season prior to the 2007-2008 UAAP season.

p.s.: graduating na ba si Jonathan Banal ng FEU-FERN? if yes, saan kaya siya pupunta, sa FEU Tamaraws ni Bert Flores o sa San Beda Red Lions ng tatay niya na si Koy Banal?

Kung mas magaling na coach ang tatay mo, bakit ka naman maglalaro sa para sa isang tulad ni Flores?

GreenArrows
09-25-2006, 08:17 AM
With all due respects to those who have posted in this thread, but I really find it hard to understand why so many of us really believe that 'press release' that Montinola really 'DISBANDED' the Tamaraws. Come on everyone, do you really believe that? FEU failed to defend their crown this year. So what? FEU failed to get into the Final Four. So what? FEU is the first defending champion team since the Final Four was put up to be eliminated? So what? Move on, is what I advise FEU. DISBANDED is just a PR phrase used by Anton to try to gain some sympathy to his cause. But no one in FEU believes that. So why should we? :-\ The FEU-FERN and even their Team B have more than enough prospects to make their team more than competitive for the next few years. Don't forget FEU's maginificent machinery in finding provincial prospects like Arwind Santos and RJ Rizada. FEU WILL BE BACK, trust me.

Disbanded? Give me a break. If you beleive that, then PM me if you are interested in buying Rizal Park or the Quiapo church. I can sell it to you. ;)

oca
09-25-2006, 08:29 AM
^
Gaya ng sinabi ng kaibigan kong matagal ng nagta-trabaho sa FEU, it was a way of dropping players from the line-up without naming them publicly.

From what I was told, Team B players are not losing much from what Montinola had announced about the cut in players' privileges.

As for the Team A players, a number of them have contracts to play in the forthcoming PBL conference and a few have definite plans of applying for the PBL draft scheduled for Oct 13. So, many can actually fend for themselves.

The intention of the press release or the act itself was to sack players without naming them publicly. Kaya, pag may nabalitan kayong lumipat ng iskul, or di na bumalik sa FEU after getting a contract sa PBL, yun na yun.

After the PBL draft, a new team will be formed. Then all privileges will be restored for Team A players.

But still, personaly, I still believe it is Flores who should have been the recipient of this kind of action and not the players.

LION
09-25-2006, 09:00 AM

Kung mas magaling na coach ang tatay mo, bakit ka naman maglalaro sa para sa isang tulad ni Flores?

------------------------------------

Lahat ng anak ni Koy na nag aaral lumipat na sa San Beda maliban kay Jonathan. Tinanong ko siya nung bago magsimula ang NCAA kung mag aaral ba siya sa San Beda sa kolehiyo. Sabi niya, gustong gusto na niyang lumipat na sana ng San Beda kaya lang senior year na niya sa FEU - FERN High kaya hindi na daw praktikal na lumipat siya. Kung walang ginagawa yang si Jonathan, madalas naglalagi yan sa Mendiola.

Ang problema lang, punong puno ang koponan ng San Beda hanggang sa isang taon. Walang paglalagyan sa Team A. Kung makapag aantay sana siya at maglaro muna sa Team B ng isang taon, malaki ang tsansa niyang masali sa Team A ng San Beda sa Season 84 dahil mga gwardiya ang kailangan ng team.

Ang magandang kumbinasyon sana sa Season 84 ay mga gwardiyang katulad ni Hermida, Jamie Padilla at Jonathan Banal.

christian
09-27-2006, 09:17 PM
Sabay sila ni Sam para mag-preach on-court :)

whiplash
09-28-2006, 01:36 PM

i mean arent the players eligible for board and lodging as part of their varsity athlete contract?* just a question for clarification

contracts?* there goes your student-ahtletes.

its the one that parents sign a waiver for.. its to protect their scholarships? when a school invests a scholarship on a student (such as to an A student), they have to maintain a certain grade or status... if they fail to make the grade or level, they lose their scholarship.. in the same way, dont school's protect themselves from athletes who jump from one school to another after some schools have made huge investments in their training and education?

Hooplover
10-09-2006, 10:54 PM
With all due respects to those who have posted in this thread, but I really find it hard to understand why so many of us* really believe that 'press release' that Montinola really 'DISBANDED' the Tamaraws.* Come on everyone, do you really believe that?* FEU failed to defend their crown this year.* So what?* FEU failed to get into the Final Four. So what?* FEU is the first defending champion team since the Final Four was put up to be eliminated?* So what?* Move on, is what I advise FEU.* DISBANDED is just a PR phrase used by Anton to try to gain some sympathy to his cause.* But no one in FEU believes that.* So why should we?* :-\ The FEU-FERN and even their Team B have more than enough prospects to make their team more than competitive for the next few years.* Don't forget FEU's maginificent machinery in finding provincial prospects like Arwind Santos and RJ Rizada.* FEU WILL BE BACK, trust me.

Disbanded? Give me a break.* If you beleive that, then PM me if you are interested in buying Rizal Park or the Quiapo church. I can sell it to you.* ;)
Yup,you're right sir,its just a press release by Anton to express his disappointment and besides if he really disbands the team,how come the coaching staff stays wherein it should have been the first to go.

Wang-Bu
10-13-2006, 02:26 PM
Congratulations kay pareng GLENN CAPACIO. May bago ng headcoach ang Tamaraws. Si Berting stays on bilang consultant.

BigBlue
10-13-2006, 03:15 PM
Congratulations kay pareng GLENN CAPACIO. May bago ng headcoach ang Tamaraws. Si Berting stays on bilang consultant.

wang-bu, confirmed na ba to? interesting developments... eh di sa mga UAAP Coach ngayon, si Lipa at Dandan na lang ang hindi pa nakakapaglaro sa PBA.

Joescoundrel
10-13-2006, 03:51 PM

Quite a scoop...

israeli
10-14-2006, 12:15 AM
any confirmation of this news?