PDA

View Full Version : Battle for the MVP title

fighting_archer
09-17-2006, 08:46 PM
wala lang ulet :)

MonL
09-18-2006, 09:01 AM
Ken Bono should win it. He has demonstrated why he should be the MVP.* What an exclamation point to a very outstanding season. Noon ko pa naman sinasabi ito, na naniniwala ako sa batang ito, lihis sa paniniwala ng iba diyan.** ::)

JC's MVP chances, however, are somewhat diluted because he has very outstanding teammates stepping up with him, and collectively carrying the team to the Finals.

Assuming he does win it, to say that Bono's winning the MVP will be an Adamson consolation will not give justice to his efforts and the impact it has on the team's fortunes this year. For carrying the team on his broad shoulders much of the season, he truly earned the distinction and should be recognized for it.

Di na ito biro.* :)

p.s. pardon my ignorance, but up to what point will objective individual statistical points be counted in the deliberations? Are there subjective inputs needed?

chocoks77
09-18-2006, 11:02 AM
Diba during the past seasons, they get the MVP from the champion team kahit mali at pangit?

israeli
09-18-2006, 12:33 PM
got this from peyups:

2006 UAAP MOST VALUABLE PLAYER AWARD
Top Players

1. Ken Bono, ADU Falcons - 74.17
2. JC Intal, ADMU Blue Eagles - 73.17
3. Jervy Cruz, UST Growling Tigers - 68.92
4. Marvin Cruz, UP Fighting Maroons - 62.00
5. Doug Kramer, ADMU Blue Eagles - 60.17
6. Jeff Chan, FEU Tamaraws - 58.50
7. Bonbon Custodio, UE Red Warriors - 57.83
8. Edwin Asoro, NU Bulldogs - 57.17
9. Jonas Villanueva, FEU Tamaraws - 55.58
10. Mark Borboran, UE Red Warriors - 55.25

close fight pa sina Bono at Intal but given their performance yesterday, i am convinced that Bono should be this year's MVP.

bluebruiser90
09-18-2006, 12:57 PM
Will Jervy Cruz make it to the Mythical Five? If he is classified as a Center then he is definitely out of the first team selection. That's Bono's position and you need a forklift to get him out out of the way.

israeli
09-18-2006, 01:06 PM
^ Jervy Cruz is classified as a center, so definitely he is out of the Mythical Five as Ken Bono takes on that position.

if i am to base my Mythical Five prediction on the Top Ten Players for the MVP, my list would include Marvin Cruz (PG), Bonbon Custodio (SG), JC Intal (SF), Doug Kramer (PF) and Ken Bono (C).

p.s.: i can see a three-way race for the 2007 MVP award among Jervy Cruz, Marvin Cruz and Ken Bono. Chris Tiu might also be a shoo-in for the MVP plum next year.

Mateen Cleaves
09-19-2006, 05:21 AM
p.s. pardon my ignorance, but up to what point will objective individual statistical points be counted in the deliberations? Are there subjective inputs needed?

The stats are close because Intal has more bonus points for won games. In addition to the stats, the UAAP press votes on the MVP, as do the players, if I remember correctly.

pio_valenz
09-19-2006, 03:48 PM
^50% stats, 25% media votes, and 25% players votes. Since Ken and JC are just about even in stats (Ken maintaining a very slim lead), it will come down to how the media and players voted.

atenean_blooded
09-19-2006, 10:21 PM
Bono only looks good because aside from Cabahug, his teammates have quite a lot to be desired.

Intal is arguably the best player in a team laden with talent.

Most VALUABLE Player? JC Intal. An actual athlete too.

the_blast_master
09-19-2006, 10:45 PM
both ken and jc's team would not be in the final four if not for their mvp candidates. whoever bags the trophy is truly deserving.

while i'd love for our main man jc superstar to be the recipient of this individual award, i'd want nothing more from him than to make me experience a bonfire in school. the mvp can just be icing.

ken, jc, you two embody what a most valuable player should be like. clutch, talented, and humble. an mvp lets his game do the talking.

kaybee07
09-19-2006, 10:58 PM
At the end of the elims, Ken Bono was still ahead of JC Intal in the statistical race in spite of the fact that JC was awarded 150 bonus points because of ADMU's 10 wins compared to only 90 for Ken (fyi, each player receives 15 extra points for each of his team's victories in the elimination round).

If only he was part of a more competitive team and media-savvy school, Ken would have gotten the trophy in a heartbeat. However the Falcons' mediocre win-loss record and their school's so-so media relations have put this in jeopardy. :'(

Congrats in advance to JC and to the Eagles in the finals..

awol
09-20-2006, 02:30 AM
Bono only looks good because aside from Cabahug, his teammates have quite a lot to be desired.

i disagree. Bono looks good because he is good. he was able to lead his team to the final four even with teammates that have quite a lot to be desired.

it seems you think Bono is less of an athlete. that may be so, but i think Bono is the better basketball player.

Intal has the inside track on the mvp plum mostly because of his performance in the last three or four games. of course, having talented teammates doesnt hurt.

arhtmahn
09-20-2006, 06:19 AM
At the end of the elims, Ken Bono was still ahead of JC Intal in the statistical race in spite of the fact that JC was awarded 150 bonus points because of ADMU's 10 wins compared to only 90 for Ken (fyi, each player receives 15 extra points for each of his team's victories in the elimination round).
If only he was part of a more competitive team and media-savvy school, Ken would have gotten the trophy in a heartbeat. However the Falcons' mediocre win-loss record and their school's so-so media relations have put this in jeopardy.* :'(
Congrats in advance to JC and to the Eagles in the finals..

Huwag naman masyadong masama ang loob mo, kaybee.* Needless to say, it will be a very close race, but I believe that very few from either Adamson or Ateneo will be very disappointed if the other school's star gets the nod.* Ken has proven to be the genuine article, a truly class act.* Also, no need to look out for a surprise winner.* Hamak na mas maganda naman kayo ng girlfriend ni JC kaysa kay Kris Aquino, kung meron man siyang boytoy sa UAAP.

jembengzon
09-20-2006, 06:30 AM

i disagree. Bono looks good because he is good. he was able to lead his team to the final four even with teammates that have quite a lot to be desired.

it seems you think Bono is less of an athlete. that may be so, but i think Bono is the better basketball player.

Intal has the inside track on the mvp plum mostly because of his performance in the last three or four games. of course, having talented teammates doesnt hurt.

bono is a fine basketball player, much like the way larry bird was a basketball player - and bird won 3 straight nba mvps.

an mvp makes his team better than they actually are. *both have accomplished that this season, both carried their teams into the final four.

ken bono has had to make more with less material, hence the great stat line. *he's also the focal point of the offense. *jc's role is as a facilitator, as opposed to the main protagonist. *hence, the better all around stats. *yes, it also helps that he has very talented teamates, so he doesn't have to get 20-10 every time out.

stats aside, both would be worthy to be called MVP this season. *but the balance 50% is media and player's votes. *and as much as i would want JC to gain it, *i think ken would win the players vote, because the players know and respect what he's had to put up with, and he still got the job done. *the degree of difficulty ken bono had to go through was just more, and that gains players' respect.

atenean_blooded
09-20-2006, 10:19 AM

Bono's game has arguably picked up only this year, thanks mainly to the absence of Japeth Aguilar/Arwind Santos/Mark Isip/anyone who could match and work around Bono's inside game, as well as the benefit of having a shooting coach like Bogs Adornado which really helped Bono's shooting.

Bono? A better basketball player than Intal? Maybe, a better jump-shooter or post-up player (size). Intal's still better all-around.

But then again, that's just me.

dvdx
09-20-2006, 12:37 PM
i didnt think Adamson could have won those games if not for Bono. and to me that's what MVPs are all about.

Intal's great, heck he's super, but Ateneo can win games even if Intal sits on the bench.

Bono's gonna win MVP by a minute margin.

patupup
09-20-2006, 01:06 PM
i didnt think Adamson could have won those games if not for Bono. and to me that's what MVPs are all about.

Intal's great, heck he's super, but Ateneo can win games even if Intal sits on the bench.

Bono's gonna win MVP by a minute margin.

I agree. For me, Ateneo can win w/o Intal, but cannot win w/o Escalona. Escalona's more important for Ateneo than Intal... :)

awol
09-20-2006, 04:42 PM
i dont think Escalona is more important for Ateneo's basketball team than Intal. while Escalona has had a good season, Intal's has been superlative. imho, ateneo's wins from close games have been largely due to Intal.

mangtsito
09-20-2006, 08:36 PM
Diba during the past seasons, they get the MVP from the champion team kahit mali at pangit?

Not necessarily. James Yap became an MVP in the 2003 season.

Fried Green Tomato
09-26-2006, 12:52 PM
FEARLESS FORECAST:

MVP: KEN BONO

MYTHICAL 5: JEFF CHAN
JC INTAL
KEN BONO
JERVY CRUZ
MARVIN CRUZ

Raging Blue
09-26-2006, 01:10 PM
During the commercial break in the telecast of last Sunday's game between Ateneo and UST, it was announced that JC Intal was the Gillette Vector Breakout Player for 2006.

That should provide a clue as to who will be the UAAP MVP for Season 69 Men's Basketball.

AnthonyServinio
09-26-2006, 01:49 PM
I gather that a certain MVP candidate gave UAAP sportswriters P1,000.00 to vote for him. :o :-[ >:(

patupup
09-26-2006, 02:23 PM
* * *I gather that a certain MVP candidate gave UAAP sportswriters P1,000.00 to vote for him.* *:o :-[ >:(

baka si Bonbon un, malaki yata kinita niya e, ;D

israeli
09-26-2006, 02:50 PM
^ P1,000 lang? ang liit naman nun. ::) ;D

LION
09-26-2006, 03:45 PM
^^^ Yan ang hirap pag may media votes. Di talaga maiiwasan ang spekulasyon, ang politika at mga intriga.

Rooster
09-27-2006, 03:34 PM
Bono has some fine basketball talents, but what contributes enormously to his production is his ability to commit 10 to 20 uncalled offensive fouls per game. Again and again you can see Ken with or without the ball initiating contact with defenders and bulldozing them. The refs never seem to call Bono for the offensive foul, which FIBA obilgates them to do.

Even worse, if a defender tries to stand his ground or muscle back at Ken, the defender is always called for the foul. A good example is the final 4 game vs. Ateneo. He played his usual game, initiating contact and pushing defenders around. Any defender who tried to hold his ground or push back was called for defensive foul. In Bono's last possession, he took the inbounds pass on the baseline, Doug Kramer was standing still and Bono jumped into him. Refs called a foul on the stationary Kramer. The refs never called a single foul on Bono in that game, an awful example of favoritism.

If Bono wins the MVP, he should name the Nabro refs as co-winners! The man is talented, but if the FIBA rules were correctly enforced and if he continued his same style of play, he would foul out around the 2nd quarter of each game.

israeli
09-27-2006, 03:48 PM
got a confirmation from a UAAP player that Ken Bono is indeed this season's MVP.

Coolmanny
09-29-2006, 12:06 AM
should be Intal, he helped his team reached the finals

xxio
09-29-2006, 08:10 AM
^50% stats, 25% media votes, and 25% players votes. Since Ken and JC are just about even in stats (Ken maintaining a very slim lead), it will come down to how the media and players voted.

Ken Bono and slim in the same sentence!!!

MonL
09-29-2006, 08:28 AM

Ken Bono and slim in the same sentence!!!

Uhmm.... careful in them thar jokes........ ;)

mangtsito
09-29-2006, 08:30 AM
got a confirmation from a UAAP player that Ken Bono is indeed this season's MVP.

Sino yung UAAP player? Si Ken Bono rin? ;D

israeli
09-29-2006, 12:26 PM
^ no. someone from FEU. ;)

MonL
09-30-2006, 05:29 PM
No more votes. We have a winner.

Congratulations to Ken Bono for being Season 69 MVP.

You EARNED it, Big Man!

shyboy
09-30-2006, 07:54 PM
Congratulations to Ken Bono!