PDA

View Full Version : La Salle Scandal Part 2

Out_Of_The_Blue
09-11-2006, 10:21 AM
Ok.....so this ain't finish yet. Anybody wants to start?

Out_Of_The_Blue
09-11-2006, 10:26 AM
Why do you guys think there was deliberate concealment on the part of La Salle to 1) not expose the La Salle report to the UAAP board, 2) not to implicate the Pumarens, and 3) not to tell the whole truth not only to the DLSU community but to the whole country as well?

Again I ask, what did DLSU do to Salgado and Lacson after they knew that they had something to do with the scandal?

Since they did nothing, do we expect the same kind of attitude from them with these new revelations?

lurkinggood
09-11-2006, 10:33 AM
Err, di ba La Salle Scandal Part 3 na to (or continuation of Part 2)?

(Hint: Part 1 was the best... ;))

paralusi
09-11-2006, 10:39 AM
sabi ni thescene sa kabilang forum:

"Interesting news on that DLSU report. I only listned to the first part of Mr. Puno's reading of the report and apparently there is a PBL head coach and his assistant coach involved in this whole episode. This asst. coach is also an asst. in the UAAP.

"Meron ding brother from DLSU who is involved."

BigBlue
09-11-2006, 10:41 AM
Details please!! :)

didnt hear the broadcast this morning, because my stupid radio couldnt pick up 918. (i really need to get a new one. galing sa tiangget lang kasi to eh.. tsktsktsk...)

Ghostrider
09-11-2006, 11:09 AM
I think it was a PBA head coach and his assistant.

Speculation has it that the personalities involved are Derrick Pumaren (PBA Head Coach), Jun Tan (Assistant Coach) and the Christian Brother involved is either (Bro. Casingal or Bro. Luistro).

??? Di ko alam kung tutoo yan. My personal speculation lang based on the descriptions/clues handed out earlier during the program.

Ito lang based on what I heard earlier:

1. La Salle promised the UAAP Board full cooperation, yet REFUSED to give the transcripts of testimonies of Mark Benitez and his father to the UAAP Board saying it was an internal University matter;

2. Mark Benitez's and his dad's testimonies said that Mark met with the PBA assistant coach who brought him to the PBA Coach's house. From there, they went to the DepEd where Mark Benitez was made to sign papers. The assistant coach went inside and allegedly said, "Ayan, makakalaro ka na." He did not take the second PEP test.

3. La Salle had already received written confirmation via Registrar Edwin Santiago, about Mark Benitez's fake PEP test results sometime on August (15 or 18?). The written confirmation which Dr. Quebengco sought from Usec. Mike Luz in October and which they claim was basis for continuing with the championship games was not for Mark Benitez, but for Tim Gatchalian (who was no longer on the team anyway). They already recieved confirmation of Mark Benitez's ineligibility as early as August.

4. When the scandal broke out, a certain Christian Brother went over to the Benitez residence and in effect forced him to sign documents implicating only Awoo Lacson and Manny Salgado. He (Mark) was asked to omit reference to the PBA coach and the PBA assistant coach because, "Mataas ang mga yan at mahirap kalabanin."

5. There was no mention of Franz Pumaren in the UAAP report.

6. UAAP Board hid the report of the fact finding committee and that aside from the vague suspension meted out to DLSU, there are no other sanctions levied. Player elegibilities are unaffected, that's why Cholo Villanueva and Ty Tang are playing out their last year for La Salle next year when the suspension is lifted. Maeirhoffer, et al. will still have 3 more years of eligibility and this year's recruits will have the full five playing years.

Marami pang nabanggit but these were the only ones which I remembered.

Let the discussions begin. . .

Kid Cubao
09-11-2006, 11:42 AM
Speculation has it that the personalities involved are Derrick Pumaren (PBA Head Coach), Jun Tan (Assistant Coach) and the Christian Brother involved is either (Bro. Casingal or Bro. Luistro).

baka jun tiongco yung assistant coach :)

Raging Blue
09-11-2006, 11:51 AM

baka jun tiongco yung assistant coach :)

Is he the dusky chinito guy with a moustache who used to be one of the assistant coaqches on the DLSU bench and is currently an assistant coach for Talk 'n Text in the PBA and for UE in the UAAP?

Kid Cubao
09-11-2006, 11:59 AM
that's right. nasa talk n text na si mr jun, although he was a UE assistant until season 68.

paralusi
09-11-2006, 12:00 PM
Is he the dusky chinito guy with a moustache who used to be one of the assistant coaqches on the DLSU bench and is currently an assistant coach for Talk 'n Text in the PBA and for UE in the UAAP?

you talkin' to me? (http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/touchstone_pictures/the_ladykillers/_group_photos/tzi_ma2.jpg)

;D

bluewing
09-11-2006, 01:59 PM
baka si derrick yung 'brother."

brother ni franz.

haha.

Joescoundrel
09-11-2006, 02:06 PM
Why am I not surprised?

I believe it is high time that the most prominent and senior Lasalle alumni finally take a tough and definitive stand on this entire episode. For godsakes, this is no longer just about the failings of those involved with the basketball program. This whole thing is now casting a very large and very dark pall over the integrity, tradition, culture and prestige of an entire institution. I am by no means a Lasalle fan as everyone knows. But for cryin' out loud this is getting ridiculous. Perhaps Tommy Manotoc or the Bachmans, or heck, even the Trillos, should finally put their foot down and put an end to this entire sordid affair.

No doubt about it, the first step should be to remove the entire coaching staff and team management involved in the recruitment of those ineligible players. Then the NBI should be asked to finally step in. For godsakes, laws were broken, crimes were committed, let's go after the bad guys.

Lasalle should owe up to this as an institution.

Kid Cubao
09-11-2006, 02:27 PM
yes, the NBI should now step in so that the damage will be contained while there is still time.

Apocrypha
09-11-2006, 02:42 PM
I didn't hear the broadcast (although I wish I did), so I can't comment on all that was reported, but I don't think much will come out of this. The UAAP board has given out their sanctions, and I don't think they'll see this report as basis to reconvene. From what I understand, the NBI can't step in unless someone actually reports the crime. DLSU seems to be content with ignoring what everyone else is saying and has kept most of the team management and coaching staff on board. The press can continue to report on this, but the public has a short memory and once they run out of stories to tell people will move on to the next scandal. The only other thing I can think of is for the Senate to launch an inquiry in the "aid of legislation", but those guys are too busy trying to keep their jobs to think about something as trivial as a university sports league.

I hate to sound like a pessimist, but this will all blow over because no one is holding the perpetrators accountable, at least, no one with the power to do so.

pio_valenz
09-11-2006, 02:55 PM
6.* UAAP Board hid the report of the fact finding committee and that aside from the vague suspension meted out to DLSU, there are no other sanctions levied.* Player elegibilities are unaffected, that's why Cholo Villanueva and Ty t@ng are playing out their last year for La Salle next year when the suspension is lifted.* Maeirhoffer, et al. will still have 3 more years of eligibility and this year's recruits will have the full five playing years.

This is very disturbing. So even the Board is involved in suppressing vital information? Kung ganun, lokohan lang pala itong investigation na ito.

shockingreport
09-11-2006, 03:12 PM
For discussion purposes, inasmuch as the contents of the UAAP Report have been made public by Robbie Puno in his radio program today, here are the portions of the Report referred to:

This is the portion on Mr. Marcelino Benitez' testimony.* Since some names and places were intentionally not mentioned over the radio, the same names and places have been covered below (for whatever it's worth* ;)). *

http://i2.tinypic.com/331ovgw.jpg*

http://i2.tinypic.com/4h0wy6d.jpg

http://i4.tinypic.com/2gydd3q.jpg

http://i3.tinypic.com/4gdkldc.jpg

jembengzon
09-11-2006, 03:32 PM
6.* UAAP Board hid the report of the fact finding committee and that aside from the vague suspension meted out to DLSU, there are no other sanctions levied.* Player elegibilities are unaffected, that's why Cholo Villanueva and Ty t@ng are playing out their last year for La Salle next year when the suspension is lifted.* Maeirhoffer, et al. will still have 3 more years of eligibility and this year's recruits will have the full five playing years.

This is very disturbing. So even the Board is involved in suppressing vital information? Kung ganun, lokohan lang pala itong investigation na ito.

that's why the time for a professional group to run the UAAP league and its affairs has come. masyadong old boys and insulares and tingin sa pamamlakad na. in as much as DLSU may be guilty of supressing vital information to uncover the truth, so is the UAAP board guilty of doing the same thing.

paralusi
09-11-2006, 03:42 PM
i can read a "pumaren" under the whiteout.

:D

save! save! save!

Legal Eagle
09-11-2006, 03:45 PM
^^ ^^

Which Pumaren kaya yan? Hmmm ....

BigBlue
09-11-2006, 03:50 PM
uy, may Mike Gonzales pang nabanggit.... diba best friend / business partner yun ni kwan??

thanks shockingreport for sharing. this pep test brouhaha has got to end. but not without correcting whatever mistakes were made. ilabas na ang lahat nang kelangan ilabas. patalsikin na lahat ng dapat patalsikin.

to our green friends, im sure some of you are reading, this is in no way aimed at putting you down. we just want to get the facts straight. we want to have a clean UAAP, with clean, worthy competitors in it. i'm sure you guys want to rebuild the erroded image and integrity of your beloved school. but that will never happen as long as things like these are kept in the closet, and suspicious people are still allowed to run or be involved in your basketball program.

tapusin nyo na to. kayo lang makakagawa nyan.

Joescoundrel
09-11-2006, 05:55 PM

Given this "old boys club" mentality of certain member institutions I am not at all surprised at this turn of events. How can we expect the UAAP Board to be partial and unbiased when certain member-schools are nothing more than decades-old diploma mills? It is these schools that have come to give the University Belt in particular an overall bad image in terms of their perceived failure to provide even a passable standard of education. In short there is a deficit of integrity in and among these schools in providing the one thing they are supposed to be good at: quality education. So I guess it would be too much to expect them not to think like typical downtown thugs when it comes to varsity athletics.

Out_Of_The_Blue
09-11-2006, 06:28 PM
The issues are crystal clear.

Will DLSU, as a respectable academic institution, tolerate these kinds of immoral acts that question the foundation of their academic integrity?

To our green friends, it is not anymore a question of school loyalty or color or whatever you want to call it.....it is now a question of whether or not the actions and intentions of your officials were right or wrong or were these "christian" acts according to the virtues and principles of your supposed "christian" brothers?

If all of you still don't get this, and still choose to be mum about it as if what happened was just a "normal" and an "acceptable" course to win at all cost, then you guys and gals are just missing the whole purpose of living.

Time to stand up and take a stand and set aside blind school loyalty.

muddatrucker
09-11-2006, 08:16 PM
i can read a "pumaren" under the whiteout.

save! save! save!

Mukhang sinadyang hindi takpan completely yung pangalan niya. ;D

atenean_blooded
09-11-2006, 10:24 PM
To follow up on what Out_of_the_Blue said, my take on it is this:

After the decision for suspension, La Salle came out with a (badly-written) piece, (with a pretentious) title that touched on morals, integrity, and honesty, which they had published in diifferent newspapers of general circulation. They also asked for clarification from the UAAP Board. I believe that the UAAP board should send them a proper clarification, in writing, regarding its decision. La Salle deserves that much.

But more than that, what does La Salle deserve? It deserves justice.

How, you ask?

La Salle should take the initiative to engage the personalities named in the fact-finding committee report, particularly those said to have taken a part in the fake PEPTCRs. If La Salle stands by what it said about Lacson and Salgado, then they should sue Lacson and Salgado. If they have reason to believe that the other parties mentioned (those whose names were covered in white-out), then they should at least consider taking decisive action. La Salle's more venerable alumni (read: not gurangrene, P.J., and the Queen) should call on the rest of the La Salle alumni to take a stand on this issue and push DLSU into solving this issue hopefully definitively.

The UAAP Board should also be willing to assist La Salle in solving this scandal.

Right now, it is not clear what La Salle has been doing to resolve this issue. It appears, and I hope I'm wrong, that they've been doing absolutely nothing. This is, from a moral standpoint, unacceptable. To sit and do nothing is to forget all that talk about morals, integrity, and honesty. This is going to be a painful process. But hopefully, it's a process that will bring out the best in La Salle.

We shall continue to watch this matter with great interest. We all stand to learn something, after all.

bluewing
09-11-2006, 10:28 PM
dapat siguro ay mag-resign na lang lahat ng mga lasal basket ballofficials, may kasalanan man o wala. para talagang bagong simula. yung mga lasal brothers na involved, kung tigas ng apog ang pa-iiralin, wag na lang silang makisawsaw sa isports kung ayaw nilang umalis.

kaso pakapalan ng mukha eh. kung sa japan nangyari to, nagpakamatay na yung mga involved. eh dito sa atin, sirang-sira na ang mga pangalan nilang ipapamana sa anak nila, sige pa rin....

Raging Blue
09-12-2006, 12:10 AM
Mike Enriquez, where art thou? Paaa-sokk....

paralusi
09-12-2006, 08:10 AM
hoy, popoy weeko, nag fax ka na ba? check mo na lang sa internet ang fax number ng WKU.

gameface_one
09-12-2006, 08:39 AM
The De La Salle PEPTEST scandal revisited
MY VIEWPOINT By Ricardo V. Puno Jr.
The Philippine Star 09/12/2006

The one-year suspension of De La Salle University from competitions of the University Athletic Association of the Philippines due to ineligibility of two members of the senior basketball team in the 2002 through 2005 seasons should have put the matter to rest, right? Wrong.

Recently I got a text message from a source I can’t disclose, urging that I carefully read the report of the UAAP Fact Finding Committee issued back in April 17, 2006. Apparently there are those who still insist that De La Salle got off too lightly, and that there was a massive cover-up involving high officials of the University.

A couple of weeks ago, too, a Jesuit priest, Fr. Alberto Alejo, described as a "leader of any anti-corruption movement," in reaction to the cheating in the recent nursing board exams, urged private and public schools to realign their values-formation programs.

Fr. Alejo said schools should develop a culture of profound respect for words, review their sports and alumni programs, reassess the goals of oratorical contests and debates and adopt a strict policy against cheating.

In regard to sports programs, he charged that recruitment programs for athletes in schools give too much importance to winning. Sports programs, he urged, should teach that the real essence of sports is how athletes play the game.

While I do have a bone to pick with Fr. Alejo for finding a connection between good school debaters and orators, on the one hand, and, on the other, "grandstanders in Congress" who are rewarded for being "good in declamation and oratorical contests," I do agree with him that in their desire to win at all costs, some of our educational institutions may be sending wrong messages to our youth.

Fr. Alejo may not have been referring to the DLSU problem on ineligible basketball players, but on second thought, maybe he was. At any rate, after consulting with some friends from De La Salle, I decided to take my mysterious texter’s advice and read the UAAP Report a lot more carefully.

I was able to get a copy of that Report from a source which must remain anonymous, since copies thereof are apparently rarer than the original Gutenberg Bible. Let’s just say a copy "appeared" on my desk. Hey, if guys like Toting, Mike and others can claim the same source for their "exclusive" copies of the Garci tapes, including the alleged "mother of all tapes," so can I. However, my copy, I can assure you, is totally and indubitably authentic.

This analysis will lift certain excerpts from the Report, eschewing too much interpretation. Let me simply express some wonderment as to why the subjects discussed therein have not been further investigated and resolved by the UAAP Board of Trustees.

Late last year, it will be recalled, a controversy erupted over a report that two players of the De La Salle University basketball team, champions of 2004-2005 season and eventual second-placers of the 2005-2006 season, were ineligible for admission into the University and disqualified by UAAP rules from membership in the team.

Their ineligibility, as certified by the Department of Education, was due to having submitted a fake or fabricated Philippine Educational Placement Test Certificate of Rating (PEPTEST Certificate) evidencing their qualification for admission to college. The two players were identified as Mark Lester Benitez and Timoteo Gatchalian III.

How was it possible for the players to dupe the entire DLSU administration into believing that the PEPTEST certificates were genuine? Why did it take top officials of DLSU so long to discover the fraud and, worse, report it to the UAAP? Were sports and other officials of the university involved in the fraud itself, and then a massive cover-up of the scope and extent of the responsibility?

Ostensibly, all these questions are answered by the UAAP Fact Finding Report. They are not. Ostensibly, the guilty officials have been identified. Well, not really. Ostensibly, the proper sanctions have been meted out. That’s debatable, even within the DLSU community. Ostensibly, the measures have been put in place to make sure this sort of thing doesn’t happen again. Here, the answer must be clearly not.

The issue must be of concern, not only to member-schools of the UAAP. And I am fully conscious of fierce school loyalties, and how difficult it is for alumni of one school to comment on the recruitment practices of another. Charges of "let him who is without sin cast the first stone" can fly fast and loose.

Nevertheless, I’ll take the chance, taking comfort in the realization that there are those who, like Fr. Alejo, are disturbed that a lust for winning at all costs flies in the face of all the values and virtues that schools like De La Salle stand for. In this, students and alumni/alumnae from whatever school, be it affiliated with the UAAP, NCAA or other league, must be together.

I start with this excerpt from p. 46 of the UAAP Report:

"He (Mark Benitez) stated that Bro. Casingal (Bro. Roberto ‘Bro. Bobby’ Casingal, FSC, DLSU Director for Sports Development) went to their house and he was made to write:

"Atty. Villa: When did he go to your house?

"Mr. Mark Benitez: Nakalimutan ko na rin po eh. Parang pinasulat niya ko na kung ano yung mga ilalabas ko about kung...hindi na magbabanggit about kay (UE Asst. Coach) Jun Tiongco at kay (UE Coach) Derek Pumaren kasi daw po matataas daw yun...mahirap kalabanin." (I’ve forgotten. Seems he made me write about what I would disclose...no more mention about Jun Tiongco or Derek Pumaren because they’re high up there...hard to fight.)

‘Atty. Villa: Who said that?

‘Mr. Mark Benitez: Si Bro. Bobby po. (Mark Benitez, TSN, p. 24)"

A UE Asst. Coach and the UE Coach himself? But isn’t the De La Salle Coach Franz Pumaren? And Bro. Bobby telling Benitez what not to say? It actually gets more complicated, next time.

Paul of Bataan
09-12-2006, 08:45 AM
The question here is whether la salle will be shamed enough to initiate the proper reforms in light of these revelations. Now that it's been brought out in the open, how will they defend their actions (or the lack thereof) in the court of public opinion?

On the part of the UAAP board, perhaps it is high time they get their acts together and become more than an old boys' club. It is becoming clearer with each passing day that the UAAP charter has become outdated and unresponsive to the new realities of high-stakes amateur competition. How you will reorganize to meet today's challenges will be of interest to its stakeholders and the general public.

AnthonyServinio
09-12-2006, 11:15 AM
Shouldn't this thread be renamed "La Salle Scandal Part 10". Kasi naman taon-taon may skandalo ang La Suspended sa UAAP! :-\

Uncle Toots
09-12-2006, 11:34 AM
baka naman meron na kayong VCD copy nyan at nang may mapanood tayo pag puro patapon ang palabas sa TV ;D

bluewing
09-12-2006, 12:25 PM
da best pa rin yung part 1...

:P

shockingreport
09-12-2006, 01:59 PM
The following are the portions of the UAAP Fact-Finding Committee Report referred to in Dong Puno's Philippine Star column today ... testimony of Mark Lester Benitez:

http://tinypic.com/35bdzk9.jpg*

http://tinypic.com/333d7vp.jpg

http://tinypic.com/2d7epv7.jpg

http://tinypic.com/40lml45.jpg*

mangtsito
09-12-2006, 02:44 PM
Damn.... akala ko pa naman porn ang nandito sa thread na ito. :D

Out_Of_The_Blue
09-12-2006, 04:54 PM
Funny how the green side is taking this with defeaning silence. There was not even a single rebuttal statement issued.

Where are the proud and mighty Greenarrows, Rektikano, FGT, Engwalker?????? Anyone?????

Does SILENCE mean yes to all the allegations?

Facts were presented. From your point of view, what can you deduce from these facts?

Jump_Shooter
09-12-2006, 05:54 PM
Bale wala yung pag blot out ni shocking report ng mga pangalan. Ibinulgar din ni Dong Puno sa column niya sa Phil Star.

Anyway, I'm sure our friends from La Salle will give their views on this when the time is right. My question is, how did the report get leaked out to the public in the first place if the UAAP Board reportedly hid it?

thor
09-12-2006, 07:08 PM
Anyway, I'm sure our friends from La Salle will give their views on this when the time is right. My question is, how did the report get leaked out to the public in the first place if the UAAP Board reportedly hid it?

presumably only uaap board members as well as the investigators had access to the report. so we need to examine motives.

the la salle people in cyberspace already have a few theories:
1. uaap rivals feel threatened by the strength of the archer team-in-waiting and want them frozen a few more years
2. uaap rivals want the pumarens eliminated

there is also the possibility that the leaker belonged to a uaap faction that lost the vote on la salle sanctions, in which case:
3. a whistleblower is exposing the board for disregarding glaring evidence against la salle

but what if the leaker did vote in favor of the one year penalty, only to see many of the people involved still keep their jobs?
4. someone is trying to send la salle a signal to clean house

this is the media-centric theory:
5. dong puno really wants la salle to twist in the wind

finally, human nature:
6. people gossip. there is no such thing as a secret in this town.

freak
09-12-2006, 08:27 PM
"Mr. Mark Benitez: Nakalimutan ko na rin po eh. Parang pinasulat niya ko na kung ano yung mga ilalabas ko about kung...hindi na magbabanggit about kay (UE Asst. Coach) Jun Tiongco at kay (UE Coach) Derek Pumaren kasi daw po matataas daw yun...mahirap kalabanin." (I’ve forgotten. Seems he made me write about what I would disclose...no more mention about Jun Tiongco or Derek Pumaren because they’re high up there...hard to fight.)

A UE Asst. Coach and the UE Coach himself? But isn’t the De La Salle Coach Franz Pumaren? And Bro. Bobby telling Benitez what not to say? It actually gets more complicated, next time.

err.. diba si Dindo ung coach ng UE? ::)

at least sa issue kung sino talaga coach ng UE, lumalabas na ang katotohanan.. ;D ;D

muddatrucker
09-12-2006, 08:35 PM

err.. diba si Dindo ung coach ng UE? ::)

at least sa issue kung sino talaga coach ng UE, lumalabas na ang katotohanan.. ;D ;D

Marami palang nadiscover yung fact-finding commitee ng UAAP! ;D ;D ;D

Wang-Bu
09-12-2006, 09:15 PM
Ang pinakamalaking pagkakamali ng Lasalle ay hindi ang pag-gamit ng mga hugot. Lahat naman ng paaralan, kahit minsan lang sa kanilang kasaysayan, sigurado ako humugot din ng player.

Ang pinakamalaking kasalanan ng Lasalle ay UMAMIN sila.

augustine
09-12-2006, 09:25 PM
Can I add another theory< which was given to me by a La Sallian friend?

Despite Dong Puno being the mouthpiece, the real source is from the La Salle alumni faction that wants to clean house and oust Pumaren.

Jump_Shooter
09-12-2006, 09:38 PM
Can I add another theory< which was given to me by a La Sallian friend?

Despite Dong Puno being the mouthpiece, the real source is from the La Salle alumni faction that wants to clean house and oust Pumaren.

Pwede rin. Madami talagang kaaway si Franz, both in and out of DLSU.

shyboy
09-12-2006, 09:48 PM
Next patient, please!

thor
09-12-2006, 09:55 PM
hmmm. that's possible. but then, i was assuming that la salle had the greatest interest in keeping the report secret. the last place i'd expect it to leak from is from la salle, because it's so embarrassing for the university.

but let's carry this idea to its logical conclusion. if it did leak from the la salle side, then we can probably read it as an anti-pumaren power play. and if we assume only the most senior, need-to-know people in la salle have access to the report, then clearly someone very influential wants the pumarens out. that's a big leap from a year ago, when the only people who wanted franz out were a minority and easy to dismiss as dissident alumni.

bluewing
09-12-2006, 11:04 PM
Ang pinakamalaking pagkakamali ng Lasalle ay hindi ang pag-gamit ng mga hugot. Lahat naman ng paaralan, kahit minsan lang sa kanilang kasaysayan, sigurado ako humugot din ng player.

hindi nila kasalanan yon dude... dahil kung hindi sila umamin, may ibang magbubulgar sa kanila.

cub
09-12-2006, 11:11 PM

hindi nila kasalanan yon dude... dahil kung hindi sila umamin, may ibang magbubulgar sa kanila.

atleast umamin, di katulad nung IBA jan, puro pagtatago.. :)

danny
09-13-2006, 06:25 AM
PBA coach linked to UAAP scandal
By NOLI CRUZ
http://www.mb.com.ph/SPRT2006091374299.html

A PHILIPPINE Basketball Association coach has been linked in the eligibility scandal that led to the suspension of La Salle in the University Athletic Association of the Philippines.

The name of Talk ‘N Text coach Derek Pumaren appeared in the 55-page report of the UAAP fact-finding board, a copy of which was obtained by the Bulletin.

It marked the first time that Pumaren’s name was dragged into the controversy sparked by La Salle’s admission that two of their players entered the university using spurious PEP documents.

Mark Benitez, one of the involved players — the other being Tim Gatchalian — testified that he and his father were brought by former La Salle statistician Raul Lacson to Pumaren’s residence in Valle Verde on the day he was supposed to take his second PEP Test.

He said that it was Pumaren who introduced him to Jun Tiongco, who, in turn, accompanied them to DepEd.

Tiongco is Pumaren’s long-time assistant coach.

In the same report, Pumaren could not recall having met Benitez and his father.

Contacted yesterday, Pumaren reiterated his denial.

"I have nothing to do with that," said Pumaren in an overseas call from South Korea. "I’m just a consultant and my job is only to assess the talent of the players."

Pumaren and the Phone Pals are currently participating in an invitational basketball tournament in South Korea.

Pumaren said he will consult with his lawyer as soon as he returns to determine what legal actions to take if any.

In the same report, which was not made public, the name of a La Salle official also came up.

According to Benitez, the official went to their residence and made him write and sign something about not to implicate the names of Pumaren and Tiongco.

"Parang pinasulat n’ya po ako na kung ano ‘yung ilalabas ko about kung…hindi ako magbabanggit about kay Jun Tiongco at kay Derek Pumaren kasi daw po mataas ‘yun…mahirap kalabanin," Benitez told the committee.

Since the controversy broke out, Benitez has made himself scarce and has not granted any interview with media.

Meanwhile, Rickie Palou, Ateneo director for varsity sports development, expressed surprise that copies of the revealing UAAP fact-finding committee report have found their way to the public.

Palou, who also sits on the UAAP board and was one of those who imposed a one-year suspension on De La Salle for fielding ineligible players last season, said, however, the contents weren’t exactly a shock to him, having read them as early as April.

"I can’t exactly say La Salle was guilty, but they were at the least negligent for not checking the players’ documents with the education department," said Palou.

The leaked committee report, Palou clarified, would have no bearing on the original sanction meted out by the board on La Salle.

"No, the suspension is it," said Palou. "In fact, had La Salle informed the board that they have ineligible players in their roster earlier, they might not have been suspended. Baka forfeiture of games lang."

mangtsito
09-13-2006, 06:39 AM
atleast umamin, di katulad nung IBA jan, puro pagtatago.. :)

(Looks around)

Ito lang? Takot na yata mag fax ang mga tao. ;D

paralusi
09-13-2006, 07:55 AM
oh no. not the chewbacca defense again.

viajero
09-13-2006, 09:29 AM
the theory that the anti-pumaren dlsu alumni faction is the source of this new expose, sounds most persuasive to me. in the first place, the assumption that only the uaap board and select higher-ups have had access to the report is not really tenable, given how things work in this country. i am sure any party with an interest in the issue could well find ways of getting hold of it.

i think it is indicative that the issue revived only after the reinstatement of franz pumaren. if the aim was simply to embarass la salle, the best time to publicize the report would have been right after the suspension, when la salle was crying to high heaven over the injustice of it. and as for the absurd idea that it is a plot to further disqualify la salle in succeding years, it should be obvious that, as the uaap board already knew of the report when it decided on the 1-year suspension, there would not be much hope for this (as palou's statement in fact confirms). i believe then that this is a case of pressure tactic on the part of said alumni to shame their alma mater into finally cutting loose from the people they believe to have disgraced the institution.

thor
09-13-2006, 10:20 AM
yep, unfortunately there are people who honestly believe it's a disqualify-la salle plot. i think they are a little too much in love with their maierhofer-atkins team and they get a bit emotional when the threat of a continued suspension is raised.

paralusi
09-13-2006, 10:55 AM
Pumaren denies role in La Salle case (http://www.philstar.com/philstar/NEWS200609131603.htm)

The Philippine Star 09/13/2006

Talk n Text coach Derick Pumaren yesterday denied his involvement in the La Salle eligibility case following reports of his supposed participation in the controversy that led to the suspension of the school from the UAAP early in the season.

Apocrypha
09-13-2006, 11:43 AM
It's not far-fetched to think that there are some DLSU alumni out there who have become fed up with the whole affair, and who want those who brought this upon their alma mater to answer for their indiscretions. This also implies that the UAAP board did a piss-poor job of handling the issue. Still unless somebody stands up and acts as a complainant, I don't think this latest round of news will produce any real results.

bluewing
09-13-2006, 01:20 PM
oh no. not the chewbacca defense again.

"... it does not... make... sense!"

Sam Miguel
09-13-2006, 01:23 PM
And so the drama continues.

There will come a time when the truly concerned Lasallites (I refuse to call them that silly rebranded name) have to take a stand on this issue. That they remain silent and not take any action is baffling. When the Benitez issue came to light a year ago every one of every persuasion was up in arms. Now there is a deafening silence. I know the report comes as quite the shocker, but I never expected the usually vociferous defenders of the DLSU varsity basketball program to simply keep quiet over something of this nature. To sweep it under the rug or simply ignore it is ludicrous.

This will adversely affect the entire DLSU institution. Would a parent now want to send his or her child to a school that prides itself as a repository of higher wisdom and knowledge, as a center of excellence, when the headlines are screaming they may have been using basketball mercenaries disguised as students just to prop us their varsity program? The real shame is that this latest issue has not just opened a Pandora's box; it may well have unleashed hell upon the name of Lasalle as an institution.

If they bend (perhaps even break) the rules in the basketball program, do they do so in other sports? Are there other possibly ineligible people donning the green and white of the Archers in other UAAP or other sporting competitions?

Are similar "liberties" being taken in other facets of the Lasalle system? Such as perhaps when their graduates take licensure / board exams? Have those people really graduated; have they completed all of their course requirements and followed the academic prerequisites? Did they pass on their own or did they get a little "help" like some of those nursing graduates who took the June 2006 board exam?

If "liberties" are being taken in one facet of a school's operations, how would I know where this would stop? Is anything still sacred to such a school?

Tough questions indeed, and thanks to a little thing like using an ineligible player in a varsity tournament, so many questions are now being asked. My son wants to be an engineer one day. Aside from Mapua I was thinking Lasalle would be a good place to go for that course. All of a sudden perhaps I should just send him to Michigan State or UC Irvine.

chocoks77
09-13-2006, 05:24 PM
Pumaren denies role in La Salle case

The Philippine Star 09/13/2006

Talk n Text coach Derick Pumaren yesterday denied his involvement in the La Salle eligibility case following reports of his supposed participation in the controversy that led to the suspension of the school from the UAAP early in the season.

In an excerpt of the report of the UAAP Fact Finding Committee issued back on April 17, 2006, Mark Benitez, one of the two members of the school’s men’s basketball squad who was found to have used spurious documents to gain entry to the team, stated that Bro. Bobby Casingal reportedly told him not to mention about Pumaren, then coach of the UE team, and UE assistant coach Jun Tiongco in the investigation.

"Parang pinasulat niya ko na kung ano yung mga ilalabas ko about…hindi na magbabanggit about kay (UE Asst. coach) Jun Tiongco at kay Derick Pumaren kasi daw po matataas daw yun…mahirap kalabanin," according to Benitez in an excerpt of the report which came out in Dong Puno’s column in The STAR yesterday.

But Pumaren, who is in Korea for a series of exhibition games as part of the Phone Pals buildup for the upcoming PBA season, maintained that he had nothing to do with the controversy.

"My conscience is clear. I don’t know what Benitez is talking about. I think Bro. Casingal should be asked for his comment since he is being quoted. I have nothing to do with what Benitez is claiming that Bro. Casingal has supposedly said," he said in an overseas talk with The STAR.

Bro. Casingal, FSC, is De la Salle’s director for sports development.

"I’ve never met Bro. Casingal. I’ve only heard of him as a consultant of the team during that time," said Pumaren. "As consultant, my job was only to evaluate talents whether they’re capable of playing in the UAAP or not. I’ve nothing to do with the players’ academic requirements, that’s not my line."

The Phone Pals, who left last weekend, end their four-game, five-day series on Friday and are set to be back Saturday. They have split their first two games, losing the opener to the South Korea Knights but winning the second game.

At the end of the season 68th of the UAAP, La Salle admitted that it inadvertently fielded in two ineligible players — Gatchalian and Benitez — during its championship run during the 2003-04 season. — Dante Navarro

Sam Miguel
09-13-2006, 06:39 PM
I am still wondering why this report was not made public by the Board considering it is the basketball-watching public that is keeping the league profitable. This is akin to Petron covering up the recent Guimaras oil spill. Whatever the motives of the ones who exposed this controversy may be, isn't it really much better that they did so? Now perhaps ALL schools will finally cease this insulting practise of recruiting mercenary-athletes masquerading as students just to win a few games. It is patently unfair to the real students, the regular students, the non-star athletes, to have to subsidize these pseudo-students and abbet fraud just because the school is looking to make a splash on TV and maybe earn some PR points. Doesn't the public that pays good money to watch UAAP basketball deserve to know whether or not a participating varsity squad may be fielding ineligible players in direct contravention of league rules?

Uncle Toots
09-13-2006, 06:52 PM
malamang walang mangyayaring ganitong gulo kung kukuha lang ng manlalaro na walang sabit. isa pa, di tayo magkakarun ng problema kung saang lupalop man galing ang isang basketbolista basta't nakikita natin syang uunlad bilang mag-aaral sa ating pamantasan. ito'y di lamang sa la salle ko ipinapayo kundi pati na rin sa lahat ng pamantasan sa NCAA man o sa UAAP.

nel
09-14-2006, 07:32 AM
As far as I know, these are not new findings by the UAAP fact finding committee (I would be really surprised if this committee still exists - is it now a permanent fixture of the UAAP?), but excerpts taken from the board report. Someone leaked a copy of the report to someone in the media, and that's how it resurfaced. But if that's the board report that was used as the basis to suspend us, then there's really nothing new, and the matter was already decided on when the UAAP suspended us. Unless someone wants to reopen that case where the suspension was already handed out? What is this - double jeopardy?

Now, if this is an entirely new issue that is really credible (for example, how'd Derek get into the picture - he wasn't involved with the DLSU program anymore), then who's raising the issue within the UAAP? Per the rules, a member school should formally initiate the discussion for it to prosper - let's not have any more of that "common knowledge" excuse to look into the matter. Either a representative of a member school takes it up officially at the board level as a complaint, or it's a non-issue, newspaper and media accounts notwithstanding.

As far as we're concerned, the matter was already decided on, we accepted the decision, and we've moved on. It's no use discussing the matter any further.

shyboy
09-14-2006, 08:21 AM
Since these are new disturbing findings by the UAAP Fact Finding Board, DLSU ought to give its stand or side to the allegations as these affect the very moral foundation the school is supposed to be built upon.

I don't think there will be some midirections of posts or bashing for that matter if we just stick to the issues raised and veer away from emotions.

Anyone from La Salle?

The closure to this issue was the suspension meted out on La Salle. If this fact-finding committee report is disturbing to you, you can go ask your nearest UAAP Board representative for clarifications. That's their report anyway, not ours.

Fried Green Tomato
09-14-2006, 09:16 AM
If that's the case, then you can probably just state for a guideline that the posts should be limited to the issues/controversies brought about by the new revelations in the UAAP Board report such as the involvement of Derek Pumaren, Bro. Casingal, etc. and issues such as 1) why DLSU didn't provide the UAAP board with the report of its own findings, 2) truth behind Bro. Casingal's alleged "forcing" Benitez not to indict the Pumarens in the UAAP Fact Finding Board testimonies, or 3) why DLSU still decided to field in Benitez in the UAAP games last year despite the fact that they were already informed about such findings by the concerned government agancies.

Since these are new disturbing findings by the UAAP Fact Finding Board, DLSU ought to give its stand or side to the allegations as these affect the very moral foundation the school is supposed to be built upon.

I don't think there will be some midirections of posts or bashing for that matter if we just stick to the issues raised and veer away from emotions.

Anyone from La Salle?

Bottomline - the uaap board already decided on the issue and they imposed one year suspension on us. We are now in the process of servng the sentence imposed on us. The "new revelations" being mentioned are no longer new to the uaap board and to the few who got copies of the report.

The uaap board had the chance to use the "uaap fact-finding committee" report as the basis for their conclusion but for reasons only known to them, they neglected or maybe simply rejected the "new revelations" floating now. If there is anyone who needs to explain, definitely NOT La Salle. When La Salle made its finding known (that to many was incomplete) and submitted it to the uaap board, the control was no longer in our hands. La Salle accepted the fact that the control was with the UAAP already when it submitted its report and cooperated with the investigation. It took the uaap more than 6 months to render a decision and the decision is now part of history. Whether the uaap made a logical & fair decision is also no longer the issue since we no longer contested the verdict and we are faithfully serving our sentence (painful it maybe).

As to why the uaap board did not push thru with the investigation or even turn it over to the NBI for further investigation, the answer is not with us. The proper institution to ask is the UAAP and its board.

So to those still in eternal quandary and keep on insisting about some "new" revelations that are no longer new and a matter that has already been settled by the uaap, go ask your uaap board member. And if you feel that your uaap board member made an error or there was negligence on his/her part for not insisting or including indictments of the personalities mentioned in the report, then ask for his replacement. But to insist on reviving on an issue that has long been settled is just plain waste of time. The finality of this issue ended when the uaap made its verdict and La Salle no longer contesting the verdict rendered. Other parties opinions are just opinions. While it may have substance unfortunately it's too late.

We are moving on and until there is a real NEW development that should need our comment, then we shall continue moving on... and maybe others should do the same.

full battle gear
09-14-2006, 11:49 AM
Did anybody care enough?
The Philippine Star 09/14/2006

Several things are abundantly clear in the Report of the University Athletic Association of the Philippines Fact-Finding Committee, dated April 17, 2006, on the alleged ineligibility of two De La Salle University senior basketball players during the 2002 through 2005 seasons (hereinafter, the "Report):

One, the two players, Mark Lester Benitez and Timoteo Gatchalian III, failed the Philippine Educational Placement tests, administered in 2002, to determine their eligibility for admission into college. Second, neither Benitez nor Gatchalian took a second PEP test, whether in 2002 or succeeding years.

Third, both Benitez and Gatchalian were admitted to the De La Salle college in 2003. Fourth, both played for the DLSU senior basketball team from the 2003 through the 2005 seasons. Fifth, the PEP Test Certificate of Rating (PEPTEST Certificate) submitted by each of the two, supposedly issued by the Department of Education, were certified by DepEd as having been faked or fabricated.

Around those undisputed facts, speculations and recriminations have been swirling, including the extent of the responsibility of sports and administrative officials of the University, and whether the one-year suspension imposed by the UAAP on DLSU was a commensurate penalty or merely a slap on the wrist.

A threshold question is how was it possible for the two players to mislead the entire University to believe in the genuineness of the PEPTEST Certificates of Rating which they submitted and were later discovered to have been faked.

In its Report, the UAAP Fact-Finding Committee (the "Committee") stated: "It has always been the responsibility of each member university that the documents submitted for eligibility purposes are genuine and authentic." (p.53, Report; hereinafter, page references are to pages in the Report)

Further, "there is a requirement for the registrar (itals. ours) to authenticate the PEPTEST Certificate with the DepEd as it is the office tasked to authenticate the document. Otherwise, the requirement of authentication would have been dispensed with if it is left to the school registrars to authenticate the said documents" (p. 15).

In proceedings before the Committee, the DLSU Admissions Director acknowledged that her office did not investigate or authenticate PEPTEST Certificates and maintained that this was the responsibility of the Registrar’s Office. Her office merely collated the required documents and forwarded them to the Registrar’s Office (p. 11). She could not recall any circular or memorandum from the DepEd which required verification of PEPTEST results (p. 10).

The University Registrar, Mr. Edwin Santiago, insisted that he had no knowledge of any procedure issued by the DepEd or the Commission on Higher Education "when it comes to PEPTEST Certificates" (p. 12). Thus, although DLSU had the fake PEPTEST Certificates of Benitez and Gatchalian as early as 2003, when both were admitted to the college, Santiago did not check them since it wasn’t "standard procedure to go over the documents one by one for all the students" and it was "common practice of all schools not go to over with (sic) the documents one by one" (p. 13).

The Registrar claimed that it was he who "discovered" the spurious PEPTEST Certificate of Benitez on August 18, 2005, more than two years after the ineligible student had been admitted to college and into the basketball team, which won the championship in the 2004-2005 season.

Actually, the "discovery" was by virtue of an official letter from DepEd dated August 9th, in reply to the August 2nd letter of Santiago requesting verification of the authenticity of the PEPTEST Certificates of six DLSU students that included Benitez and Gatchalian (p. 14). The Registrar didn’t clarify how his suspicions were aroused by the six, but said the move was brought about by discussions in an "association of school registrars regarding the circulation of spurious documents" (p. 13).

The question arises as to why, having "discovered" the anomaly in August, the University waited until October 6th, during which time the basketball tournament was in full swing, to officially notify the UAAP of the ineligible players.

That date, October 6, 2005, is significant, since it was the day of the second game of the championship series between DLSU and Far Eastern University, which FEU eventually won (p. 18, Report). DLSU allowed Benitez to play in that game (p. 28).

The Report explains the time lag between the discovery of the anomaly and the time the school decided to take action.

Registrar Santiago maintained that "a few days after receiving the reply from DepEd, he emailed Bro. Roberto Casingal FSC, Director of the DLSU Office of Sports Development (OSD) about the matter." However, according to the Registrar, "there was no reaction from Bro. Casingal" (p. 14).

Then, in the third week of September, he met Bro. Bobby Casingal and Mr. Daniel Jose, Director for External Affairs of the OSD, and asked what their action would be. Mr. Jose’s reply was "Tungkol saan?" (About what?) The Registrar said it was about Benitez, to which Jose answered "Ano yung kay Benitez?" (What about Benitez?) The Registrar concluded Jose wasn’t aware of the case (p. 14).

On September 30th, during the birthday celebration of University Executive Vice President Carmelita Quebengco, the Registrar informed her directly because "he sensed that the OSD may not have told her" (p. 15). Ms. Quebengco went to see the President, Bro. Armin Luistro FSC, but was asked to hold the commencement of a full investigation until he returned from a trip abroad a few days later (pp. 17-18).

On October 5th, a meeting was held with Bro. Armin. Among the decisions reached was to formally advise the UAAP about the issue. However, such notification awaited written confirmation by the DepEd of the fake PEPTEST Certificates. That written confirmation came only on the afternoon of the 6th, while the second game of the championship series with FEU was in progress (pp. 18-19).

The story continues next time, starting with why the University’s Office of Sports Development, which should have acted immediately upon the adverse information from the Registrar, seemed to sit on its hands.

Then, the big question: Both Benitez and Gatchalian testified they supposedly didn’t know how they "passed" the PEPTEST when neither ever took a second test, how they got admitted to DLSU, and how come they wound up playing for the senior team. Who, if anyone, engineered this whole sordid affair?

allblue
09-14-2006, 12:17 PM
Another part I found significant in Mark Benitez's testimony is his declaration that he was on LOA and then did not enroll in September. It's the last paragraph on the scanned document.

Not enrolled and on LOA? The UAAP basketball season 68 was ongoing from July until October of 2005. If he wasn't a legitimate student of DLSU at that time, what was he doing playing on their UAAP team?

RAINMAN
09-14-2006, 01:39 PM
This will certainly affect the focus of the UE Coaching Staff.

The timing is curious.* Just when the Final Four of Season 69 is about to commence: the broadcast by Robbie Puno on Sports Radio, the two columns so far by Dong Puno (a third is waiting in the wings probably by next week when the finals goes into full gear), and the item in the Manila Bulletin quoting Ricky Palou.

Could it be . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Out_Of_The_Blue
09-14-2006, 02:24 PM
As far as I know, these are not new findings by the UAAP fact finding committee (I would be really surprised if this committee still exists - is it now a permanent fixture of the UAAP?), but excerpts taken from the board report. Someone leaked a copy of the report to someone in the media, and that's how it resurfaced. But if that's the board report that was used as the basis to suspend us, then there's really nothing new, and the matter was already decided on when the UAAP suspended us. Unless someone wants to reopen that case where the suspension was already handed out? What is this - double jeopardy?

Now, if this is an entirely new issue that is really credible (for example, how'd Derek get into the picture - he wasn't involved with the DLSU program anymore), then who's raising the issue within the UAAP? Per the rules, a member school should formally initiate the discussion for it to prosper - let's not have any more of that "common knowledge" excuse to look into the matter. Either a representative of a member school takes it up officially at the board level as a complaint, or it's a non-issue, newspaper and media accounts notwithstanding.

As far as we're concerned, the matter was already decided on, we accepted the decision, and we've moved on. It's no use discussing the matter any further.

Nel/FGT,

The issue here is not the penalty that was meted out to DLSU but the new questions that surfaced as a result of the "new" revelations - "new" because this is the only time that the public got hold of the document and this is the first time that the public is questioning the intentions of the people involved. Alam nyo na pala ito dati pa, e bakit ipinagkatago-tago nyo pa ng matagal???

Both the UAAP board and DLSU are on trial here. You should not just close your eyes and accept the fact that your people can just walk away with immoral acts. DLSU said before that it was on their own initiative that they blurted out the cases of ineligibility. Now, even this is being questioned as DLSU knew before hand that Benitez shouldn't have played in the championship games but still never cared to do the right thing. DLSU said before that the culprits were "only "Salgado and Lacson." Apparently, from the testimonies of your own Benitez, this is apparently not the case. DLSU said before that it exercised full disclosure to the results and proceedings of its own fact finding committee. Why then did it not release its own findings to the UAAP board?

For the UAAP board, why was this document not released to the Public? Was there are a deliberate atempt to conceal some facts?

I have a relative who is studying in La Salle Greenhills. He is now oftentimes teased as "studying in a school of cheaters" by his friends. Now, he doesn't want to go to school anymore because he doesn't want to be called a "cheater" too.

If these do not in anyway affect your pride and honor of being "proud La Sallians" as you claim, then we simply have no case here. The image of Salgado, Lacson, Derek Pumaren, and Bro Casingal will forever pervade the image of DLSU as an educational institution of "cheats" as long as La Sallians remain to be mum about these issues.

Fried Green Tomato
09-14-2006, 05:50 PM
Nel/FGT,

The issue here is not the penalty that was meted out to DLSU but the new questions that surfaced as a result of the "new" revelations - "new" because this is the only time that the public got hold of the document and this is the first time that the public is questioning the intentions of the people involved. Alam nyo na pala ito dati pa, e bakit ipinagkatago-tago nyo pa ng matagal???

Both the UAAP board and DLSU are on trial here. You should not just close your eyes and accept the fact that your people can just walk away with immoral acts. DLSU said before that it was on their own initiative that they blurted out the cases of ineligibility. Now, even this is being questioned as DLSU knew before hand that Benitez shouldn't have played in the championship games but still never cared to do the right thing. DLSU said before that the culprits were "only "Salgado and Lacson." Apparently, from the testimonies of your own Benitez, this is apparently not the case. DLSU said before that it exercised full disclosure to the results and proceedings of its own fact finding committee. Why then did it not release its own findings to the UAAP board?

For the UAAP board, why was this document not released to the Public? Was there are a deliberate atempt to conceal some facts?

I have a relative who is studying in La Salle Greenhills. He is now oftentimes teased as "studying in a school of cheaters" by his friends. Now, he doesn't want to go to school anymore because he doesn't want to be called a "cheater" too.

If these do not in anyway affect your pride and honor of being "proud La Sallians" as you claim, then we simply have no case here.* The image of Salgado, Lacson, Derek Pumaren, and Bro Casingal will forever pervade the image of DLSU as an educational institution of "cheats" as long as La Sallians remain to be mum about these issues.* *

As expected, this is going no where.

The "new" questions based from the "new" revelations should be directed to the uaap board since it was taken from their own fact finding report. They have explaining to do on why they deliberately did not include such portion in their final report/verdict.

But La Salle does not owe the public any comment resulting from the sudden re-appearance of the snippets of the fact finding report. Our administrators are only liable to us and not to the public. Whatever internal investigation that took place since the start of this controversy last oct, we have the option not to share it with the public - it is purely an internal matter among lasallians.

As to the uaap initiated investigation, we are paying already for our negligence with the 1 year suspension imposed on us by the UAAP and if others are not satisfied with the sanction imposed on us then direct your inquiries to the uaap board. We are in no position to dictate or order the uaap board what it wants to do... we are just following the order (no matter how bias & unfair we deemed the decision) simply because we still want to be a part of the uaap.

We have answered the questions you've raised again & it's futile for us to repeat what we have said. As to the morality angle that some are desperately trying to connect this so-called "new" revelaltion, we are at peace with our morals and we can sleep peacefully without our conscience bothering us. We do care too much about the "perception" of others especially if the ones instigating this "new" inquiry are not the paragons of moral virtues.... oh, let the hypocrites go on with this useless inquest.

Don't worry too much about us or about our pride & honor, that's something for us to worry about. Instead, focus your attention to your own backyard... you never know how filthy it had become.

As for your relative studying in lsgh, i wonder from what school his "friends" are? I'm sure you know very well... as there is only one school breeding hypocrites.

shockingreport
09-14-2006, 06:47 PM
With Mark Benitez' admission that he did not take the second PEP Test exam which he supposedly passed, it has become obvious that the PEP Test result produced for him was fake.* And the National Educational Testing and Research Center of the DepEd readily (and easily) confirmed this fact.* *Executive Director Nelia V. Benito's testimony:*

http://tinypic.com/3zt0ket.jpg*

http://tinypic.com/4h7luoi.jpg

nel
09-14-2006, 07:15 PM
The actions of an individual or group of individuals will never tarnish the reputation of our school. Only the misguided will use the mistakes of a few as an excuse to tar and feather the rest of the community. Most of us are comfortable with being La Sallians. Our values and sense of self-worth will never be shaken by whatever anyone says. We know who we are.

The UAAP formed a fact finding committee, it conducted its study, presented the results to the board, and the board made its decision. We La Sallians have accepted the UAAP's verdict, however much we may disagree, and we've moved on.*

The "new" revelations were already part of the the report that the UAAP board used to mete out its sentence of a 1-year suspension. Everything the committee came up with were included in the report, including testimonies. The report was read, understood, and considered by the board in coming up with the judgment, which was to suspend us for a year. Those who disagree or who want more sanctions should take this up with their school reps who sit on the UAAP board. This is, after all, a UAAP matter.

Instead of simply talking or writing about it, Dong Puno and those who strive to keep the topic alive should take affirmative action if they feel that they have a solid case, such as filing a case before the proper authorities (btw, who aside from the UAAP, who should be considered as the proper authorities?). Otherwise, it's just a rehash of something that was already decided on by the organization most affected - the UAAP.

We've accepted the bitter pill, swallowed it, and moved on. We're comfortable with reality. We have closure on the matter. That's why it's a mystery to us that others (in and out of the UAAP) continue to try to resuscitate what is already a dead topic.

Out_Of_The_Blue
09-14-2006, 08:58 PM
As expected, this is going no where.

The "new" questions based from the "new" revelations should be directed to the uaap board since it was taken from their own fact finding report. They have explaining to do on why they deliberately did not include such portion in their final report/verdict.

That's why I mentioned BOTH DLSU and UAAP are on trial here. You also have to answer why you didn't give your findings to the UAAP Fact Finding committee even if the Benitez' already told your investigating body about the involvement of Pumaren, Tiongco, and Bro Casingal.

But La Salle does not owe the public any comment resulting from the sudden re-appearance of the snippets of the fact finding report. Our administrators are only liable to us and not to the public. Whatever internal investigation that took place since the start of this controversy last oct, we have the option not to share it with the public - it is purely an internal matter among lasallians.

Wrong. The UAAP was created for both the Schools, their students, and the PUBLIC. That's why the games are aired on public television using public airwaves. You have a responsibility to the public as actions and morals of your players and officials can have an effect to the viewing public.* Do you want the kids to emulate this brand of "hiding and escaping the facts and truths? Unless you clear things out, these will all remain.

As to the uaap initiated investigation, we are paying already for our negligence with the 1 year suspension imposed on us by the UAAP and if others are not satisfied with the sanction imposed on us then direct your inquiries to the uaap board. We are in no position to dictate or order the uaap board what it wants to do... we are just following the order (no matter how bias & unfair we deemed the decision) simply because we still want to be a part of the uaap.

As I said, I am not questioning this.

We have answered the questions you've raised again & it's futile for us to repeat what we have said. As to the morality angle that some are desperately trying to connect this so-called "new" revelaltion, we are at peace with our morals and we can sleep peacefully without our conscience bothering us. We do care too much about the "perception" of others especially if the ones instigating this "new" inquiry are not the paragons of moral virtues.... oh, let the hypocrites go on with this useless inquest.

How can you answer the questions I raised when all of these came out only after the "new" revaltions? You claim to have known these before, why didn't you bring all of these out in the open previously?

Don't worry too much about us or about our pride & honor, that's something for us to worry about. Instead, focus your attention to your own backyard... you never know how filthy it had become.

Not the issue here. Focus.

As for your relative studying in lsgh, i wonder from what school his "friends" are? I'm sure you know very well... as there is only one school breeding hypocrites.

UP, Ateneo, Xavier, and Benilde. Yeah right, who said that they "fully admitted and submitted" themselves to their involvement to this malicious act? And ah.....from what school do they belong again????

atenean_blooded
09-15-2006, 12:41 AM
Another part I found significant in Mark Benitez's testimony is his declaration that he was on LOA and then did not enroll in September.* *It's the last paragraph on the scanned document.*

Not enrolled and on LOA?* The UAAP basketball season 68 was ongoing from July until October of 2005.* If he wasn't a legitimate student of DLSU at that time, what was he doing playing on their UAAP team?*

Er... um... This is all I have to say:

;D

Mighty_Alumnus
09-15-2006, 01:00 AM
Paging Popoy and Mr. Henson... what now?

Your articles before are indeed meaningless.

atenista_comm
09-15-2006, 01:17 AM
Popoy Juico, fax another press release!!!
Huwag ka pahuli next time ha...

AnthonyServinio
09-15-2006, 02:13 AM
Another part I found significant in Mark Benitez's testimony is his declaration that he was on LOA and then did not enroll in September.* *It's the last paragraph on the scanned document.*

Not enrolled and on LOA?* The UAAP basketball season 68 was ongoing from July until October of 2005.* If he wasn't a legitimate student of DLSU at that time, what was he doing playing on their UAAP team?
Because of DLSU's unique trimestral calendar, the UAAP allows their athletes to simply enroll in the first trimester for first semester events in order to be eligible.

There have been cases in the past when this rule was availed by students who would be graduating after the first trimester to squeeze in one more year of UAAP eligibility.

gameface_one
09-15-2006, 10:19 AM
Hey Jump Shooter. Good thing these posts were moved to this forum. May I suggest that you just merge this with the other La Salle Scandal Part 2 thread and the Benitez and Gatchalian post of Nel on a separate topic. Better yet, coordinate with Bibby and take out the other posts there related to the La Salle Scandal part 2 topic.

Good work guys. Just make sure this doesn't turn out to be a bashing thread though I'm sure that Out, FGT, Nel, and the rest are all civil enough not to start a "pex" thread here.

Fried Green Tomato
09-15-2006, 10:53 AM
That's why I mentioned BOTH DLSU and UAAP are on trial here. You also have to answer why you didn't give your findings to the UAAP Fact Finding committee even if the Benitez' already told your investigating body about the involvement of Pumaren, Tiongco, and Bro Casingal.

In the perception of those trying to revive a dead issue, both uaap and dlsu are on trial but that's only their perception. Until such time that a real case is filed against dlsu in the uaap or in whatever court then it is our right not to dignify the accusations by these instigators with an answer. As the famous line goes... "we shall only answer at the proper forum".

Wrong. The UAAP was created for both the Schools, their students, and the PUBLIC. That's why the games are aired on public television using public airwaves. You have a responsibility to the public as actions and morals of your players and officials can have an effect to the viewing public.* Do you want the kids to emulate this brand of "hiding and escaping the facts and truths? Unless you clear things out, these will all remain.

The uaap is a public domain but la salle is a private institution primarily liable to its community. Perception is just perception and what we do morally or not is not influenced by the perception that others want to project us. We have no problem knowing ourselves and as far as we are concerned our moral values are still intact. Whether others accept it or not, we have no control what they want to think. But at the end of the day, we can still sleep with our conscience not bothering us.

We dont have to validate all the queries especially if they were instigated by those with ulterior motive. If it's a complaint filed in a proper forum then we need to answer but if it's just a cry from the wolves in the forest, then they can cry all they want as alll they would only hear silence from us. And until such time this initiated move is elevated to the uaap then we have no moral responsibility to answer the wild yell from the forest.

How can you answer the questions I raised when all of these came out only after the "new" revaltions? You claim to have known these before, why didn't you bring all of these out in the open previously?

Why should we bring out something that the uaap simply dismissed and ignored not to be included in the final report? We are not going to waste time talking about the details simply because a verdict has been rendered and in the verdict, it did not raise the "new" revelations that others want to talk about now. As i've said, that is not our problem. It is the problem of the uaap and even your uaap board member. Why did your uaap board did not vehemently object for not including the portions that some are quoting now? If you feel that these portions are relevant, why did your uaap board neglect to include it in the final report? Blame UAAP and the board members but not us.

Not the issue here. Focus.

Well, i was not the one who raised those issues here. I'm just making a comment and i think it's you who needs to focus.

UP, Ateneo, Xavier, and Benilde. Yeah right, who said that they "fully admitted and submitted" themselves to their involvement to this malicious act? And ah.....from what school do they belong again????

The act of serving our suspension now is an undeniable proof that we have "fully admitted and submitted ourselves" to the jurisdiction (even to the whims and caprices) of the uaap board. Of course we do have another option such as leaving the uaap but we did not take that path.

ps: gameface_one, don't worry we're just exchanging ideas... it's up to the moderators here to control the situation and prevent others from making this thread to another pex bashing type-like thread.

BigBlue
09-15-2006, 11:05 AM
i find it increasingly intriguing how there are so many parallels between the La Salle Scandal and the Hello Garci Scandal that continues to plague our country to this day. To me, one thing is clear and common between these two items: that these issues will continue to rear its ugly head, and will not stop doing so until all the facts have been presented in a transparent manner and all the erring parties get what they deserve.

Jump_Shooter
09-15-2006, 01:56 PM
Hey Jump Shooter. Good thing these posts were moved to this forum. May I suggest that you just merge this with the other La Salle Scandal Part 2 thread and the Benitez and Gatchalian post of Nel on a separate topic. Better yet, coordinate with Bibby and take out the other posts there related to the La Salle Scandal part 2 topic.

Good work guys. Just make sure this doesn't turn out to be a bashing thread though I'm sure that Out, FGT, Nel, and the rest are all civil enough not to start a "pex" thread here.

Whew! Finally done merging all related posts from the DLSU forum. Many thanks to bibby for helping me out. To reiterate what bossing gameface_one just said, i trust we can all continue the discussion in a civilized manner.

allblue
09-15-2006, 07:04 PM
Another part I found significant in Mark Benitez's testimony is his declaration that he was on LOA and then did not enroll in September. It's the last paragraph on the scanned document.

Not enrolled and on LOA? The UAAP basketball season 68 was ongoing from July until October of 2005. If he wasn't a legitimate student of DLSU at that time, what was he doing playing on their UAAP team?
Because of DLSU's unique trimestral calendar, the UAAP allows their athletes to simply enroll in the first trimester for first semester events in order to be eligible.

There have been cases in the past when this rule was availed by students who would be graduating after the first trimester to squeeze in one more year of UAAP eligibility.

Wow, that's so convenient. So much for the challenge of being a student-athlete. ::)

Out_Of_The_Blue
09-16-2006, 12:00 AM

In the perception of those trying to revive a dead issue, both uaap and dlsu are on trial but that's only their perception. Until such time that a real case is filed against dlsu in the uaap or in whatever court then it is our right not to dignify the accusations by these instigators with an answer. As the famous line goes... "we shall only answer at the proper forum".

Funny but kindly comprehend that I am not initiating a court action against La Salle. This is a forum of public opinion. I'm just asking your (and the other La Sallians') opinion here. Am I correct in saying that you do not represent La Salle? If so, then you don't have to be afraid about sharing with us what you think.....but if you still refuse to share with us your personal views on the "new revelations," it's ok coz we know that either you don't have a stand or you just probably do not care at all.*

The uaap is a public domain but la salle is a private institution primarily liable to its community. Perception is just perception and what we do morally or not is not influenced by the perception that others want to project us. We have no problem knowing ourselves and as far as we are concerned our moral values are still intact. Whether others accept it or not, we have no control what they want to think. But at the end of the day, we can still sleep with our conscience not bothering us.

We dont have to validate all the queries especially if they were instigated by those with ulterior motive. If it's a complaint filed in a proper forum then we need to answer but if it's just a cry from the wolves in the forest, then they can cry all they want as alll they would only hear silence from us. And until such time this initiated move is elevated to the uaap then we have no moral responsibility to answer the wild yell from the forest.

Wrong again. All educational institutions exist primarily to serve the society - to develop young men and women who would uphold the virtues, values, and principles of truths and morals in the service of God and Country. If your mindset on this is reflective of what and how the whole La Sallian community thinks, then that answers it. La Salle, even as a private institution, is subservient to the Constitution and your "Brotherly Christian Teachings." It will always be unswerable to the Public. The actions of your officials will always be answerable to your students and to the public. If you limit La Salle's liability to your students, then it will just be merely an institution that is grounded upon purely business foundation with absolutely no tradition, value, and sense or purpose of existence.

It is your responsibility to go deeper and validate the querries because these issues emanated from your own backyard. The more that you should police your ranks and maintain a public perception that you are exerting all efforts to eliminate any form of "whitewash." The stability of your institution's and the UAAP's moral foundations and credibility are in trial here. Both La Salle and the UAAP should be steadfast to go after the very truth until all clouds of doubt are eliminated. Your investigative body was actually one of the "proper forum" and Benitez, et al gave their testimonies. Why were the other pertinent testimonies kept secret from the public? Why did Bro. Casingal "asked" Benitez not to "implicate" Derek Pumaren, Tiongco, etc.? You had your own proper forum but your officials concealed the truths. Can we have at least your peronal views on this - at least these views are not admissible to the courts so you don't have to be afraid.

Why should we bring out something that the uaap simply dismissed and ignored not to be included in the final report? We are not going to waste time talking about the details simply because a verdict has been rendered and in the verdict, it did not raise the "new" revelations that others want to talk about now. As i've said, that is not our problem. It is the problem of the uaap and even your uaap board member. Why did your uaap board did not vehemently object for not including the portions that some are quoting now? If you feel that these portions are relevant, why did your uaap board neglect to include it in the final report? Blame UAAP and the board members but not us.

And.....you didn't even care to ask youself why your beloved school didn't even give it's own findings and complete recommendation to the board? or why Bro. Casingal told the Benitez' not to implicate Derek Pumaren, Tionco, et al? Talk about blind loyalty! You don't want to question because deep inside you (as the famous actor said) "you can't handle the truth!" At least, you have been consistent with your answer: SILENCE.

Well, i was not the one who raised those issues here. I'm just making a comment and i think it's you who needs to focus.

Where is your comment? Ayaw mo nga magsalita di ba? And about the issuse you mentioned above, it all emanated from La Salle by the way.

The act of serving our suspension now is an undeniable proof that we have "fully admitted and submitted ourselves" to the jurisdiction (even to the whims and caprices) of the uaap board. Of course we do have another option such as leaving the uaap but we did not take that path.

Again, that is not the issue here. I never questioned the penalty given to your school. But ok since you have been reiterating this, if you have "fully admitted" to the accusations, was there 1) remorse on your part? and 2) does this mean that you admit to the facts quoted in the UAAP Fact Finding Board that Derek Pumaren was indeed involved and that Bro. Casingal asked Benitez not to include Derek Pumaren et al in his testimony before the UAAP fact Finding Board?

Howard the Duck
09-16-2006, 12:07 AM
What is this new scandal about? Summary lang ha ;D

Fried Green Tomato
09-16-2006, 04:37 AM
Funny but kindly comprehend that I am not initiating a court action against La Salle. This is a forum of public opinion. I'm just asking your (and the other La Sallians') opinion here. Am I correct in saying that you do not represent La Salle? If so, then you don't have to be afraid about sharing with us what you think.....but if you still refuse to share with us your personal views on the "new revelations," it's ok coz we know that either you don't have a stand or you just probably do not care at all.*

So if you're not trying to initiate court action against La Salle, what is it that you want? Drag an issue that has long been settled? We can talk & argue till kingdom come but nothing is going to be accomplished as it is not going to change the fact that this issue is already dead. For those dreaming of reviving this issue, this is a good material in the "what if" thread.

Don't get the impression that I represent La Salle with my views here. Whatever i say is not the official statement of the institution as they are my opinions. As to the "new revelations", why should i waste time talking in details about something that is going no where? We're not going to accomplish anything or change what has already been done --- move on.* *

Wrong again. All educational institutions exist primarily to serve the society - to develop young men and women who would uphold the virtues, values, and principles of truths and morals in the service of God and Country. If your mindset on this is reflective of what and how the whole La Sallian community thinks, then that answers it. La Salle, even as a private institution, is subservient to the Constitution and your "Brotherly Christian Teachings." It will always be unswerable to the Public. The actions of your officials will always be answerable to your students and to the public. If you limit La Salle's liability to your students, then it will just be merely an institution that is grounded upon purely business foundation with absolutely no tradition, value, and sense or purpose of existence.

It is your responsibility to go deeper and validate the querries because these issues emanated from your own backyard. The more that you should police your ranks and maintain a public perception that you are exerting all efforts to eliminate any form of "whitewash." The stability of your institution's and the UAAP's moral foundations and credibility are in trial here. Both La Salle and the UAAP should be steadfast to go after the very truth until all clouds of doubt are eliminated. Your investigative body was actually one of the "proper forum" and Benitez, et al gave their testimonies. Why were the other pertinent testimonies kept secret from the public? Why did Bro. Casingal "asked" Benitez not to "implicate" Derek Pumaren, Tiongco, etc.? You had your own proper forum but your officials concealed the truths. Can we have at least your peronal views on this - at least these views are not admissible to the courts so you don't have to be afraid.

Save your idealistic point of view and wake up to the reality of the world. La Salle's foremost responsibility is to its community - student, administration, faculty & alumni. Internal problems affecting La Salle should be solved among La Sallians only - no interference from outside could influence us. The only time that La Salle is answerable to the public is when a problem is of public concern such as the fake peptcr since it has a direct effect not only to La Salle but to the uaap (since La Salle is a member of that organization).

La Salle confonted the controversy through the proper forum --- the uaap made an investigation and then a verdict was rendered. And since there was already finality to this controversy, there is nothing more to talk about. Whatever reforms we are doing internally, that is only for us and not for public consumption. We have no obligation to report everything and anything that we do to the public. We don't have to justify the things we are doing just because there are some still not satisfied with the verdict rendered by the uaap board. As far as we are concerned, it is already a closed book.

Don't tell us what we should or should not do. Don't interfere with purely internal La Sallian problems if ever there is still a problem. Don't dwelll too much on the realm of speculation. To put it bluntly, you don't know whether we have done something to correct the perceived problems simply because we are not talking and we are not going to talk. We share only what we want to share and we have no obligation to tell everything just to satisfy the hunger for information of some people. Just as we don't force other schools to divulge everything in their own backyard. In short, to each his own.

And.....you didn't even care to ask youself why your beloved school didn't even give it's own findings and complete recommendation to the board? or why Bro. Casingal told the Benitez' not to implicate Derek Pumaren, Tionco, et al? Talk about blind loyalty! You don't want to question because deep inside you (as the famous actor said) "you can't handle the truth!" At least, you have been consistent with your answer: SILENCE.

Once again you're speculating. How sure are you that I have not asked or questioned our administration? As i've said, if ever there's an internal la salle problem then we solve it among ourselves. There is no need to wash our dirty linens in public. You may continue speculating and that's the only thing you could do.

Again, that is not the issue here. I never questioned the penalty given to your school. But ok since you have been reiterating this, if you have "fully admitted" to the accusations, was there 1) remorse on your part? and 2) does this mean that you admit to the facts quoted in the UAAP Fact Finding Board that Derek Pumaren was indeed involved and that Bro. Casingal asked Benitez not to include Derek Pumaren et al in his testimony before the UAAP fact Finding Board?

quit speculating.

Remorse for what? Telling the truth that we have 2 players with fake peptcr? What we did is the moral thing to do. Of course, others would never do it.

What was in the transcript was the testimony from one side of the fence (benitez' story). It's not right to make a conclusion if* you know only one side of the story. Unfortunately, the uaap already made a decision and rendered a verdict. So whether we hear the other side or not is already irrelevant as the issue is alread finished.

================

This is my last rebuttal on this topic. As far as we are concern, it's already a dead issue. So I suggest you ask your board member if you really want to know everything instead of speculating.

nel
09-16-2006, 09:39 AM
Some people will insist on trying to beat something to death even though it's aready dead. Or is it trying to raise the dead? Either way, it's nauseating to many, and is no longer worth the effort to try to revive it.

As FGT has said, we, as individuals, do not speak for La Salle, in the same way as out_of_the_blue doesn't speak for Ateneo. We, including out_of_the_blue, don't speak for the general public, either. We speak as individuals.

La Salle is not obligated to address any of the matters raised (again!!!) here, since as far as La Salle (and we La Sallians) are concerned, the matter has already been taken up and resolved by the authority concerned, the UAAP, according to its rules and regulations. Everything being brought out here was already seen, understood, and weighed by the UAAP board when it formulated its decision. Nothing new has come up, just a rehash of matters already discussed ad nauseum. Nobody has filed any criminal case against anybody, despite all the publicity and "common knowledge" that has floated around in the media and internet. Maybe that should serve as an indication that there is no smoking gun that can be found, and it's very difficult for any organization to take punitive action without proof. Mere deductions or hearsay cannot be the basis for any just action - ask any lawyer who comes from Ateneo or UP. The burden of proof is on the accuser. Dong Puno's repeated attacks are beginning to sound like smear tactics, because he's basing his points on testimony of other people that hardly seems credible. It's mostly hearsay. Why doesn't he write about his track record in the government instead, or what happened in his ill-fated Senate bid? On that matter, at least, he has first hand experience. This is beginning to look like the showbiz talk columns in the tabloids, where we see a preponderance of he-said, she-said.

As far as the La Sallian community is concerned, the matter is closed. As far as the UAAP is concerned, the matter is also closed, at least according to Ateneo representative Ricky Palou. Unless Puno or out_of_the_blue and other similarly minded people are willing to file any case in front of any authority, there is nothing to discuss. Of course, that doesn't stop some people from spreading malicious gossip about how La Salle is a school of "cheats".

If La Salle chooses to take any action against any person or persons, it does not have to publish its actions to the general public just to satisfy the morbid fascination of a select few. There are matters which it can and will do within the confines of the institution and community. We're not publicity hungry. The general public are not our stakeholders.

Again, raising old issues is a 2-way street. We have never blamed any school for the shenanigans of a fraternity which hazed a student to death, nor have we castigated any school for the "immoral" actions of its graduates who went on to positions of leadership in the government. It's pointless and stupid, and it doesn't do justice to the fine institution of higher learning and morality that bred so many outstanding Filipino citizens. The actions of a few cannot smear the school or the vast majority of the members of its community. I refuse to mindlessly call the school names just because a few misguided students or alumni did something we don't agree with. So, please, unless you are willing to push the case to any authority, let's let this matter rest. If Dong Puno wants to write about it, he's free to do so. I wonder if he and some others are trying to rally a lynch mob that will try and hang La Salle in the court of public opinion? But you won't get anything from us, because we don't believe in talking about it any longer.

peterstrauss
09-16-2006, 10:30 AM
He the man?
The Philippine Star 09/16/2006

Here’s my bottom line in the controversy over two ineligible senior basketball players of De La Salle: We do not yet know the full story behind the scam, and we missed a golden opportunity to blow a scandal wide open.

Tragically, in both reports of the fact-finding committees of DLSU and the UAAP, there were no "findings of fact" as to who caused the falsification of the Philippine Educational Placement Test Certificate of Rating (PEPTEST Certificate) for Mark Lester Benitez and Timoteo Gatchalian III.

The DLSU Report did identify Mr. Raul "Awoo" Lacson, a contractual statistician of the basketball team, as having given the spurious PEP Certificates to both Mark Benitez and Timoteo Gatchalian. Also, Manny Salgado, assistant manager of the team, was mentioned as "possibly the other person with prior knowledge as to how the spurious document of Mark Benitez would be obtained." (Itals. ours) The UAAP Report followed the same tack, more or less, in a little more detail.

From an evidentiary point of view (not technical rules of evidence but simple sense and sensibility), having given the spurious documents or having had prior knowledge of the fabricated document of one player (Benitez) is not quite the same as having participated in, or caused, the falsification itself. Both Lacson and Salgado denied any personal knowledge about the Benitez PEPTEST Certificate.

Thus, both reports were essentially useless for purposes of fixing responsibility on the persons responsible for the falsification. One would think that that would have been the primary concern of DLSU. But its report seemed more bent on stressing the "finding" that: "No DLSU official was mentioned by all those interviewed."

Well, the UAAP Report, as we’ve noted previously, did mention several DLSU officials, including the Registrar, Mr. Edwin Santiago, who showed little alacrity in verifying the authenticity of the PEPTEST Certificates of the ineligible players. However, the DepEd made clear, and the UAAP agreed, that school registrars are responsible for authenticating documents submitted in the application process.

Another official mentioned was Bro. Robert "Bro. Bobby" Casingal FSC, Director of the Office of Sports Development. He was pointed to by Mark Benitez as having instructed him not to mention Frederick "Derek" Pumaren, University of the East consultant for the men’s basketball team, and Agustin "Jun" Tiongco, assistant coach of the UE basketball team, in any written statement in regard to the falsification.

Both reports confirmed the fabrication of the PEPTEST Certificates. Among the defects noted in the Benitez certificate were: the indication of a false and non-existent test venue; the signature of one DepEd official on the certificate was digitally scanned, not originally signed; and the document lacked a security logo. Defects in the Gatchalian certificate included the wrong Division code for the venue indicated, and discrepancies in the "raw scores, transmuted scores, and the certificate format."

The fake certificates were actually used by the ineligible players. They allegedly took, and must have passed, separate admission tests given by the University for incoming athletes after receipt of the fake PEPTEST Certificates. They were admitted to study in degree courses of the University, and became members of the senior basketball team.

The fabrication of the PEPTEST Certificates arguably constituted falsification of documents punishable under Articles 171 and 172 of the Revised Penal Code, depending on whether the forgery was perpetrated by a public official (such as, theoretically, a DepEd official) or a private individual.

Any public official or private person who cooperated with the culprits, conspired with them, or in any way benefited from the act would be criminally liable. The penalties for falsification range from 6 months and one day to 6 years (Art. 172, Revised Penal Code) to 6 years and one day to 12 years (Art. 171, Revised Penal Code). Evidently, these are not minor crimes.

The one-year suspension meted out by the UAAP Board, whether or not we agree with it, was a judgment call. However, we wonder why the Association’s fact-finding committee pussy-footed around on the critical issue of who caused the fabrication.

Since the ball has been dropped, further inquiry should be conducted by other independent bodies on the falsification of official documents. It is by no means clear that the instances of falsification of PEPTEST certificates were limited to the two DLSU basketball players. If other schools, including my alma mater, Ateneo de Manila University, committed any similar offenses, the book should likewise be thrown at them.

Was there – is there – a syndicate composed of DepEd insiders and private individuals trafficking in these Certificates for pecuniary gain? The value of these Certificates is manifest. They are a key to admission to college, to an athletic team, to stardom on the college leagues, and then to a lucrative career in professional ranks.

Awoo Lacson is named in both the DLSU and UAAP Reports as the person who gave the falsified certificates to Benitez and Gatchalian. Manny Salgado supposedly had prior knowledge of the false documents. But neither is specifically identified as having caused or participated in the falsifications themselves, or in the procurement of the spurious documents. Both have denied any culpability at all.

But even if they were guilty, a still disputable assumption, could they have acted alone? For example, what was the real role of Jun Tiongco in this entire sordid affair? Why did he find it necessary to deny that he had any friends or relatives in the DepEd? Benitez testified that Tiongco accompanied him to the DepEd, ostensibly to take a second PEPTEST. He never took that test, but was subsequently told that everything was taken care of. It turned out later that things had really been taken care of.

Perhaps another body, such as the National Bureau of Investigation, should take over and determine the facts. If violations of criminal statutes were committed in the fabrication of the PEPTEST Certificates, some people should do time.

If our young college men and women become steeped in a culture of complicity or silence, as well as a culture of cheating, the idea may take hold that in this country crime pays, as long as one does not get caught. God help us!

Out_Of_The_Blue
09-16-2006, 11:09 AM
He the man?

Here’s my bottom line in the controversy over two ineligible senior basketball players of De La Salle: We do not yet know the full story behind the scam, and we missed a golden opportunity to blow a scandal wide open.
Tragically, in both reports of the fact-finding committees of DLSU and the UAAP, there were no "findings of fact" as to who caused the falsification of the Philippine Educational Placement Test Certificate of Rating (PEPTEST Certificate) for Mark Lester Benitez and Timoteo Gatchalian III.

The DLSU Report did identify Mr. Raul "Awoo" Lacson, a contractual statistician of the basketball team, as having given the spurious PEP Certificates to both Mark Benitez and Timoteo Gatchalian. Also, Manny Salgado, assistant manager of the team, was mentioned as "possibly the other person with prior knowledge as to how the spurious document of Mark Benitez would be obtained." (Itals. ours) The UAAP Report followed the same tack, more or less, in a little more detail.

From an evidentiary point of view (not technical rules of evidence but simple sense and sensibility), having given the spurious documents or having had prior knowledge of the fabricated document of one player (Benitez) is not quite the same as having participated in, or caused, the falsification itself. Both Lacson and Salgado denied any personal knowledge about the Benitez PEPTEST Certificate.

Thus, both reports were essentially useless for purposes of fixing responsibility on the persons responsible for the falsification. One would think that that would have been the primary concern of DLSU. But its report seemed more bent on stressing the "finding" that: "No DLSU official was mentioned by all those interviewed."

Well, the UAAP Report, as we’ve noted previously, did mention several DLSU officials, including the Registrar, Mr. Edwin Santiago, who showed little alacrity in verifying the authenticity of the PEPTEST Certificates of the ineligible players. However, the DepEd made clear, and the UAAP agreed, that school registrars are responsible for authenticating documents submitted in the application process.

Another official mentioned was Bro. Robert "Bro. Bobby" Casingal FSC, Director of the Office of Sports Development. He was pointed to by Mark Benitez as having instructed him not to mention Frederick "Derek" Pumaren, University of the East consultant for the men’s basketball team, and Agustin "Jun" Tiongco, assistant coach of the UE basketball team, in any written statement in regard to the falsification.

Both reports confirmed the fabrication of the PEPTEST Certificates. Among the defects noted in the Benitez certificate were: the indication of a false and non-existent test venue; the signature of one DepEd official on the certificate was digitally scanned, not originally signed; and the document lacked a security logo. Defects in the Gatchalian certificate included the wrong Division code for the venue indicated, and discrepancies in the "raw scores, transmuted scores, and the certificate format."

The fake certificates were actually used by the ineligible players. They allegedly took, and must have passed, separate admission tests given by the University for incoming athletes after receipt of the fake PEPTEST Certificates. They were admitted to study in degree courses of the University, and became members of the senior basketball team.

The fabrication of the PEPTEST Certificates arguably constituted falsification of documents punishable under Articles 171 and 172 of the Revised Penal Code, depending on whether the forgery was perpetrated by a public official (such as, theoretically, a DepEd official) or a private individual.

Any public official or private person who cooperated with the culprits, conspired with them, or in any way benefited from the act would be criminally liable. The penalties for falsification range from 6 months and one day to 6 years (Art. 172, Revised Penal Code) to 6 years and one day to 12 years (Art. 171, Revised Penal Code). Evidently, these are not minor crimes.
The one-year suspension meted out by the UAAP Board, whether or not we agree with it, was a judgment call. However, we wonder why the Association’s fact-finding committee pussy-footed around on the critical issue of who caused the fabrication.

Since the ball has been dropped, further inquiry should be conducted by other independent bodies on the falsification of official documents. It is by no means clear that the instances of falsification of PEPTEST certificates were limited to the two DLSU basketball players. If other schools, including my alma mater, Ateneo de Manila University, committed any similar offenses, the book should likewise be thrown at them.

Was there – is there – a syndicate composed of DepEd insiders and private individuals trafficking in these Certificates for pecuniary gain? The value of these Certificates is manifest. They are a key to admission to college, to an athletic team, to stardom on the college leagues, and then to a lucrative career in professional ranks.

Awoo Lacson is named in both the DLSU and UAAP Reports as the person who gave the falsified certificates to Benitez and Gatchalian. Manny Salgado supposedly had prior knowledge of the false documents. But neither is specifically identified as having caused or participated in the falsifications themselves, or in the procurement of the spurious documents. Both have denied any culpability at all.

But even if they were guilty, a still disputable assumption, could they have acted alone? For example, what was the real role of Jun Tiongco in this entire sordid affair? Why did he find it necessary to deny that he had any friends or relatives in the DepEd? Benitez testified that Tiongco accompanied him to the DepEd, ostensibly to take a second PEPTEST. He never took that test, but was subsequently told that everything was taken care of. It turned out later that things had really been taken care of.

Perhaps another body, such as the National Bureau of Investigation, should take over and determine the facts. If violations of criminal statutes were committed in the fabrication of the PEPTEST Certificates, some people should do time.

If our young college men and women become steeped in a culture of complicity or silence, as well as a culture of cheating, the idea may take hold that in this country crime pays, as long as one does not get caught. God help us!

Nel/FGT, the article of Dong above summarized everything very well. Note those in bold specially the last paragraph. I know you guys will never answer the issues raised. These are all new to the public since all of these were deliberately concealed from us both by DLSU and the UAAP. Since these are all new, you, at least in your personal capacity should take a stand and not hide behind the blind colors of loyalty of your school. It is very clear that there are people here who violated some laws. We are not anymore questioning the Board decision nor the penalty given to La Salle. What we are asking is what, as La Sallians, is your personal stand about all of these? The facts are just too glaring to be ignored. You just can't close your eyes and admit to the fact that the case is close when in reality, there are more questions unanswered.

nel
09-16-2006, 11:52 AM
out,

There are no "glaring facts", just testimony that was not really verifiable or even credible. If there was a solid basis for action (smoking gun), then the appropriate measures would have been taken by La Salle and by the UAAP. There is no coverup - the "evidence" is simply not compelling or solid enough to be taken as the "truth".

Why don't you question your school representative to the UAAP instead of posting here? He may be able to explain matters to you to your satisfaction. After all, he was part of the process. He knows much more about this than FGT or I do. In fact, Dong Puno would be better served if he did some investigation* first by asking the UAAP instead of just shooting off his opinion in the media.

After all that investigation, certain issues may still be unanswered. Despite that, a decision was made by the UAAP with finality. Unless there is another case brought up before the UAAP, as far as it's concerned, the matter has been resolved. We're not happy with it, but we have accepted the fact that all the answers may never be found. We're moving on.

Personally, I'm offended by this muckracking that some people are doing. I'm offended that my Alma Mater is being called a school of cheats by people who have nothing better to do than look for mistakes of others. All schools have produced some crooks and cheats - just read the papers, but we've never blamed their schools for what they did. Our people could have easily responded by calling for an investigation of all supposed violations by all schools in the past, but we didn't. Or we could have done the easy thing by printing all "facts" about what we think are vioulations in the media, but we didn't. We won't get into a tit-for-tat situation.

I will leave it to our school authorities to decide on the appropriate course of action, and I will trust in their judgment, whether or not I agree with it. I will let them decide on what they want to share with us within the community and with the general public. Our administration admitted negligence, and we were penalized for that.

With the UAAP decision, we have closure. Matter closed.

Out_Of_The_Blue
09-16-2006, 01:04 PM
out,

There are no "glaring facts", just testimony that was not really verifiable or even credible. If there was a solid basis for action (smoking gun), then the appropriate measures would have been taken by La Salle and by the UAAP. There is no coverup - the "evidence" is simply not compelling or solid enough to be taken as the "truth".

Why don't you question your school representative to the UAAP instead of posting here? He may be able to explain matters to you to your satisfaction. After all, he was part of the process. He knows much more about this than FGT or I do. In fact, Dong Puno would be better served if he did some investigation* first by asking the UAAP instead of just shooting off his opinion in the media.

After all that investigation, certain issues may still be unanswered. Despite that, a decision was made by the UAAP with finality. Unless there is another case brought up before the UAAP, as far as it's concerned, the matter has been resolved. We're not happy with it, but we have accepted the fact that all the answers may never be found. We're moving on.

Personally, I'm offended by this muckracking that some people are doing. I'm offended that my Alma Mater is being called a school of cheats by people who have nothing better to do than look for mistakes of others. All schools have produced some crooks and cheats - just read the papers, but we've never blamed their schools for what they did. Our people could have easily responded by calling for an investigation of all supposed violations by all schools in the past, but we didn't. Or we could have done the easy thing by printing all "facts" about what we think are vioulations in the media, but we didn't. We won't get into a tit-for-tat situation.

I will leave it to our school authorities to decide on the appropriate course of action, and I will trust in their judgment, whether or not I agree with it. I will let them decide on what they want to share with us within the community and with the general public. Our administration admitted negligence, and we were penalized for that.

With the UAAP decision, we have closure. Matter closed.

Nel, may I ask what is the truth then? Or should I say what are the truths behind the issues? Don't you find it very fishy that your school didn't give the results and recommendation of its own Investigative body even after the UAAP board requested for the same? What were the transcripts or results of the findings? Do you admit that the act of a La Salle Brother to ask or force witnesses not to include prominent names in their testimonies means nothing to you at all? Did any of you attempt at least to uncover the real truth even to the extent of questioning your authorities?

Of course, it will always be more convenient to all of you to say that this case is already closed and a decision has already benn rendered DESPITE the fact that these new telling facts were not revealed to the community beforehand.

If you listened to the Sports Radio, they said that they verified the authenticity of the document they had and they readily said that upon verification with the UAAP board and with the wintesses, everything that was quoted there were authentically done.

If we will all just give up in the pursuit of truth and just ride on the convenient excuse that the case is close DESPITE the fact that there are more TRUTHS that needed to be exposed then we should all be ashamed to even claim that we are christians.

If this is really your mindset, then there is pratically nothing to discuss here.

atenean_blooded
09-16-2006, 01:40 PM
My take on the most recent discussion:

1. There's a semblance of closure because the suspension verdict has already been handed down and is already being served. So at least with regard to La Salle's fielding of ineligible players and its negligence, or rather, La Salle's actions insofar as they are relevant to the UAAP, the matter ought to be closed. The matter of fielding ineligible players has been resolved, at least in relation to the UAAP. That's what Nel and the other La Sallites have been trying to say, at least in part. That much is clear enough for everyone, I hope.

2. For me, the key question is, how did these ineligible players get into a situation that they'd actually be ineligible players? That is, how did these players get into La Salle if they flunked the PEP test? The answer, at least according to what has been established, is that they got in with the help of certain characters who helped them or procured for them fake PEPTCRs. Both players actually noted that they did not take retests, but were instead issued fake PEPTCRs, which were then submitted to La Salle, which were then the basis for their admission into the university, and with which they got to play. I presume we still all agree up to this point.

3. The rub here is: What ought to be done?

I personally do not think the UAAP has any business delving into the internal affairs of DLSU. The internal affairs of DLSU are not the business of the UAAP (which is why the once-cited argument that it was the registrar that received the August 18 notification that Benitez's PEPTCR was fake is irrelevant; as far as the UAAP is concerned, La Salle knew of the whole sordid affair as of August 18, but still did not stop fielding Benitez). That said, it is clear that La Salle is the party that was most aggrieved by the usage of fake PEPTCRs to gain admission. Its negligence aside, La Salle violated the UAAP as a result of these fake documents. Dong Puno and Pinoyexchange aside, La Salle has had its reputation of sorts smeared by these fake documents. La Salle is the one who has all the reasons to get to the bottom of this whole sordid affair. This is what I mean when I say that it is La Salle that deserves justice with regard to this situation, at least.

This then leads me to the questions: What has La Salle done? Is there any intention on La Salle's part to investigate the matter further? Why hasn't La Salle sued Salgado and Lacson, if indeed they are behind the affair, at least as per the DLSU version of the facts? I am sure that La Salle has a copy of the report, and that there were names named by the students with the fake PEPTCRs (I am of the belief that their testimonies are the most credible in this instance). Does La Salle even plan to check those people out? If it does, why does it seem like it hasn't done anything even now?

There's closure with regard to the UAAP. In fact, the facts brought to the public are facts which most of us have already known for months. However, there may or may not be any closure with regard to this affair as a matter for La Salle, on its own, to resolve. The discussions here may seem like another attempt to besmirch La Salle's reputation of sorts. They can very well be twisted into that sort of discussion, which, of course, would be wrong. If anything, I think the questions brought up here might be questions worth answering.

However, if La Salle deems it unnecessary to pursue action for its own sake, then that's its own judgment call. What it means and how telling it is, is up to the individual observer.

nel
09-16-2006, 02:37 PM
Nel, may I ask what is the truth then? Or should I say what are the truths behind the issues? Don't you find it very fishy that your school didn't give the results and recommendation of its own Investigative body even after the UAAP board requested for the same? What were the transcripts or results of the findings? Do you admit that the act of a La Salle Brother to ask or force witnesses not to include prominent names in their testimonies means nothing to you at all? Did any of you attempt at least to uncover the real truth even to the extent of questioning your authorities?

Of course, it will always be more convenient to all of you to say that this case is already closed and a decision has already benn rendered DESPITE the fact that these new telling facts were not revealed to the community beforehand.

If you listened to the Sports Radio, they said that they verified the authenticity of the document they had and they readily said that upon verification with the UAAP board and with the wintesses, everything that was quoted there were authentically done.

If we will all just give up in the pursuit of truth and just ride on the convenient excuse that the case is close DESPITE the fact that there are more TRUTHS that needed to be exposed then we should all be ashamed to even claim that we are christians.

If this is really your mindset, then there is pratically nothing to discuss here.

First of all, I suggest that you take a close look at what you refer to as "new facts". They're not new, they were in the committee's report. If they were facts (which I seriously doubt), then the UAAP would have acted on them and a heavier penalty would have been imposed. A fact is based on a provable piece of information, not hearsay testimony. The school's involvement in attempting to suppress information has not been proven as a fact. I would believe that if this were indeed proven to be a "fact" by the committee and the board, then the penalty of a 1-year suspension might not have been the only decision. I wonder how Derek Pumaren was brought into this issue - that alone makes me question the credibility of the "fact". Derek was not involved with DLSU at that time - he was a consultant for UE. This alone makes me question the veracity and credibility of the testimony (the "facts" you keep repeating). Many of the things you cite are based on "they said". I don't think that those can be cited as facts. Don't be so gullible and believe what everyone says, someone might try to sell you the London Bridge.

You like to question the wisdom of the UAAP's decision - why don't you ask your school rep who was part of the whole deliberation?

I'm not privy to what measures La Salle has taken on this matter. La Salle is under no obligation to publicize its actions to anyone, least of all you or me.

Oh, and by the way, I suggest you don't bring religion into this - it has nothing to do with the matter you keep dredging up.

jembengzon
09-16-2006, 04:49 PM
hey children, if gameface is going to stick to its goal of being the site that intelligently discusses basketball issues, then i suggest we all restrain ourselves from the subtle and not-so-subtle digs at each other and stick to the issue at hand.* let's not pretend otherwise, they've been a lot of brickbrats thrown from all parties, and personally,* please take* them outside the site, where they belong.

this site works because the members should* respect the rules of the founders.* you want to play a game of intellectual one upmanship, go back to your own school partisan sites, and express all you want.* but here,* please respect the site rules.

let opinions differ on the issues, and argue all you want, but below the belt comments on school superiority and inferiority don't belong here.* take them to PEX >:(

gameface_one
09-16-2006, 05:19 PM
hey children, if gameface is going to stick to its goal of being the site that intelligently discusses basketball issues, then i suggest we all restrain ourselves from the subtle and not-so-subtle digs at each other and stick to the issue at hand.* let's not pretend otherwise, they've been a lot of brickbrats thrown from all parties, and personally,* please take* them outside the site, where they belong.

this site works because the members should* respect the rules of the founders.* you want to play a game of intellectual one upmanship, go back to your own school partisan sites, and express all you want.* but here,* please respect the site rules.

let opinions differ on the issues, and argue all you want, but below the belt comments on school superiority and inferiority don't belong here.* take them to PEX* *>:(

Alright gentlemen. Upon motion of jembengzon, may I advise that we all control any form of untoward emotion regarding this subject. As we have heard both sides' interpollation on the matter, the last posts have been in a stalemate no new views on the matter have been cited as arguments from both sides are just reaching nowhere.

You may continue with all the arguments you want but this thread will be immediately modified for any single instance or sign of bashing.

oca
09-16-2006, 08:25 PM
Buti na lang at lumabas agad yang “3rd at bottom line" article ni Puno. Gustong-gusto ko nang sumali sa usapan, pero hinintay ko matapos siya, dahil sa column niya unang nalathala yung di inihayag sa publiko ng Board.

Uno –

Puno raises issues about getting to the bottom… about fully knowing the whole crime… just who are exactly involved....

The fact is, kahit wala itong "dagdag na disclosure" na ito, kung meron tao na gustong alamin ang buong katotohanan, nuon pa dapat may nagsampa ng reklamo sa NBI para ito ma-imbestigahan.

Pero wala.

Does the mention of additional names change the nature of the crime he now wants investigated and eventually prosecuted?

Hindi.

Does the mention of these previously unrevealed details make it more compelling than before that NBI should come in now?

It was compelling before, even without these now revealed details.

Kung inaakala ni Puno, sa paglabas ng dagdag na detalye, ay na merong concerned citizen na tatayo at gagawa ng hakbang para malitis ang kasong ito, para naman siyang ewan.

Kung yun rin lang ang gusto niya, siya na ang tumayong concerned citizen.

Common sense tells us all these would not have happened without the involvement of an insider from DepEd to begin with. Nuon pa alam na natin yan.

Common sense tells us that someone from DLSU must be involved to consummate the wrongdoing. Nuon pa alam na natin yan.

Even without the mention of these additional names, dapat nuon pa na-imbestigahan na ito ng NBI. Dapat nuon pa sinabi na yan ni Puno sa column niya.

Does one need to get hold of a copy of a report to be concern about what action has been taken relative to the commission of the crime?

Kaduda-duda ang motive ni Puno for taking this up.

Dos –

I see no point para idiin pa lalo ang DLSU.

Do not expect DLSU to take “more action against its own people” now. Dahil kung ginusto nila, dapat nuon pa. Kung ayaw, do you think this “revelation” will compel them to do so?

Unless one is willing to assume the role of a “concerned citizen” and initiate action for “criminal investigation” to begin, huwag nang idiin ang DLSU. Kung pulos salita ka, pero wala ka namang balak maging concerned citizen at pumunta sa NBI, lubayan niyo na ang DLSU dito sa gameface.

Huwag ipasok sa usapan yung values, morals at kung ano pa, just to compel DLSU to do more than what it has done so far.

“Pakialam natin kung ayaw disiplinahin ng kapit-bahay natin yung mga anak nila.”

“Pakialam nila kung kulang para sa atin yung pagdi-disiplina nila.”

“Pakialam natin kung ayaw nilang sabihin kung paano nila dinisiplina ang mga anak nila.”

Kung ididiin pa ang DLSU, iikot lang usapan gaya ng nangyayari.

Para maiba, punta na kayo sa barangay.

atenean_blooded
09-16-2006, 11:03 PM
I'm not even sure if Dong Puno can take this to court. I doubt he'll be granted standing.

Raging Blue
09-16-2006, 11:35 PM
He the man?

I believe this is the whole point of his column.

Amen.

john_paul_manahan
09-16-2006, 11:59 PM
the ball is in your court, DLSU. watcha gonna do about it?

nel
09-17-2006, 08:56 AM
Certain measures have already been taken, and others are bing planned or implemented by the school authorities to prevent a recurrence of anything similar in nature. However, don't expect the school to publish all its actions in the media for all to see. There's no need for publicity in everything the school or community does.

john_paul_manahan
09-18-2006, 04:23 PM
well and good, then...

true.blue
09-19-2006, 05:44 PM
Just caught a newsflash on TV announcing that the Ombudsman is going to look into this case.

bluebruiser90
09-19-2006, 06:59 PM
Sino ang imbestigahan ng Ombudsman? DEP ED?

Joescoundrel
09-19-2006, 08:12 PM
Perhaps the lawyers hereabouts can enlighten us, especially Legal, Bruiser and Salsa: Do you all agree with Dong Puno's column that this whole PEP Test fiasco is at least a possible violation of our penal laws?

Frankly I've always maintained that at the very least there may have been falsification of public documents what with these fake PEP Test certificates, as the Dep Ed itself has already certified. If that is the case then perhaps it should be the Dep Ed officials in charge of the PEP Test as well as the Lasalle employees / personnel involved in the "fixing" who should be investigated and charged once prima facie or other evidence is properly established.

One other question: Should it really be the Ombudsman doing the investigating? Shouldn't this be more up the Justice Department's alley, especially the NBI? It seems this isn't merely a case of a government agency involved in a possibly corrupt act; it looks more like an out and out felony. Mark Jalandoni seems hot on this issue anyway, might as well sic him and his NBI hounds on the bad guys and see what they turn up.

true.blue
09-20-2006, 02:38 AM
Ombudsman orders probe of collegiate qualifying exam

By Tetch Torres
INQ7.net
Last updated 11:29am (Mla time) 09/19/2006

OMBUDSMAN Merceditas Gutierrez has ordered an investigation on alleged irregularities involving the issuance of certificates by the Department of Education (DepEd) for the Philippine Educational Placement Test or PEPTEST.

The PEPTEST allows undergraduate high school students to be accelerated into college after passing a qualifying exam that determines if they are eligible to enroll for tertiary education.

In an order, Gutierrez ordered Task Force SAPAK or Sama-samang Pagkilos Laban sa Katiwalian para sa Kabataan (United Movement Against Corruption for the Youth) to look into reports that some officials of DepEd allegedly conspired with several school officials in manufacturing and issuing fake PEPTEST certificates to undeserving students.

The case stemmed from reports that two varsity players from De La Salle University were admitted to study in degree courses and even became members of the school basketball team after submitting the PEPTEST Certificates of Rating, which were discovered to be falsified.

Assistant Ombudsman Mark E. Jalandoni, Task Force SAPAK chairman, said the probe would center on the possible involvement of public officials in the fabrication of the PEPTEST certificates.

"The falsification of PEPTEST certificates erodes the integrity of the educational system specifically the value of government instruments and public documents. The Office shall determine the people responsible for these acts as well as their possible liabilities."

Assistant Ombudsman Jalandoni added that those who may be found liable may face charges of falsification of documents and violation of the Anti-Graft and Corrupt Practices Act, which carries the penalty of six to 15 years imprisonment.

danny
09-20-2006, 02:52 AM
Ombudsman orders probe of collegiate qualifying exam

By Tetch Torres
INQ7.net
Last updated 11:29am (Mla time) 09/19/2006

OMBUDSMAN Merceditas Gutierrez has ordered an investigation on alleged irregularities involving the issuance of certificates by the Department of Education (DepEd) for the Philippine Educational Placement Test or PEPTEST.

The PEPTEST allows undergraduate high school students to be accelerated into college after passing a qualifying exam that determines if they are eligible to enroll for tertiary education.

In an order, Gutierrez ordered Task Force SAPAK or Sama-samang Pagkilos Laban sa Katiwalian para sa Kabataan (United Movement Against Corruption for the Youth) to look into reports that some officials of DepEd allegedly conspired with several school officials in manufacturing and issuing fake PEPTEST certificates to undeserving students.

The case stemmed from reports that two varsity players from De La Salle University were admitted to study in degree courses and even became members of the school basketball team after submitting the PEPTEST Certificates of Rating, which were discovered to be falsified.

Assistant Ombudsman Mark E. Jalandoni, Task Force SAPAK chairman, said the probe would center on the possible involvement of public officials in the fabrication of the PEPTEST certificates.

"The falsification of PEPTEST certificates erodes the integrity of the educational system specifically the value of government instruments and public documents. The Office shall determine the people responsible for these acts as well as their possible liabilities."

Assistant Ombudsman Jalandoni added that those who may be found liable may face charges of falsification of documents and violation of the Anti-Graft and Corrupt Practices Act, which carries the penalty of six to 15 years imprisonment.

At long last , something is being done. However, the Office of the Ombudsman is overloaded. This might drag on for years. The sooner the culprits are brought to justice, the better. Patay ang mandurugas sa lahat ng liga, mapa-UAAP o NCAA pa... ;D

arhtmahn
09-20-2006, 06:29 AM
Dong Puno has been slowly but surely applying pressure on DLSU via his Star column and in the middle of his series Assistant Ombudsman Mark Jalandoni suddenly gets involved. Aren't these two Ateneo alumni? It's a conspiracy, I tell you!

Eagle_Eyes
09-20-2006, 08:58 AM
Dong Puno has been slowly but surely applying pressure on DLSU via his Star column and in the middle of his series Assistant Ombudsman Mark Jalandoni suddenly gets involved.* Aren't these two Ateneo alumni?* It's a conspiracy, I tell you!

whether there is a conspiracy or not is not the issue. where there's a stench, it's either shit or a dead animal. either way, malas lang talaga at nagkakabukuhan na.

Out_Of_The_Blue
09-20-2006, 10:04 AM
What is glaring is that DLSU is also the aggrieved party here and yet no known case was filed against Salgado and Lacson. Is it a case of protecting your own or a cover-up or the institution just doesn't have the balls and will to do so?

O di kaya ganito talaga ang mentality: "ganyan talaga ang buhay, lahat naman gumagawa nyan. pabayaan na lang natin."

Fried Green Tomato
09-20-2006, 10:12 AM
A formal investigation of the ombudsman is long overdue in order to put closure into this mess. We welcome this development.

When La Salle made its investigation, some names were mentioned based from the testimonies made. Same thing happened when the UAAP made its formal investigation.

However, i'm not really sure of the probative value of the statements made by those invited in the investigation. Were they sworn under oath when they made those statements? UAAP had no contempt power when they invited the guests to give testimony. They could not even compel a guest to appear if he/she wishes to do otherwise.

There are many legal luminaries here, i'm just wondering what's the real worth of the uaap's fact-finding report in the light that is now in another realm (obmudsman)?

atenean_blooded
09-20-2006, 10:28 AM
FGT:

If I remember correctly, the report's front matter said that the investigation was made less like a courtroom or legislative inquiry. That said, whether or not the participants were under oath is not clear.

In any case, I think the report will have some value before the Ombudsman, which can use the report as a springboard for the investigation. Any need for other testimonies can simply be asked for by the Ombudsman anyway, this time, clearly under oath.

alberto aguilera
09-20-2006, 10:40 AM
Taken from the Office of the Ombudsman Website
PRESS RELEASE

19 September 2006

OMBUDSMAN ORDERS PROBE ON PEPTEST IRREGULARITY

Ombudsman Ma. Merceditas N. Gutierrez today ordered Task Force SAPAK (Sama-samang Pagkilos Laban as Katiwalian para as Kabataan) to investigate alleged irregularities in the issuance of certificates for the Philippine Educational Placement or PEPTEST conducted by the Department of Education (Dep Ed).

The anti-graft chief particularly wants Task Force SAPAK to look into reports that some officials of the Dep Ed reportedly conspired with several school officials in manufacturing and issuing fake PEPTEST certificates to undeserving students.

The PEPTEST allows undergraduate high school students to be accelerated into college after they pass a qualifying exam that determines whether they are eligible to enroll for tertiary education even without finishing secondary school.

The controversy regarding the PEPTEST stemmed from reports that two varsity players of the De La Salle University were admitted to study in degree courses and even became members of the basketball team after submitting PEPTEST Certificates of Rating which were later discovered to have been falsified.

For his part, Task Force SAPAK chair Assistant Ombudsman Mark E. Jalandoni said the probe will center on the possible involvement of public officials in the fabrication of the PEPTEST certificates.

He said, “We are determined to find out the truth about this matter. The falsification of PEPTEST Certificates erodes the integrity of the educational system specifically the value of government instruments and public documents. The Office shall determine the people responsible for these acts as well as their possible liabilities.”

Assistant Ombudsman Jalandoni added that those who may be found liable may face charges of falsification of documents and violation of the Anti-Graft and Corrupt Practices Act which carries the penalty of six to 15 years imprisonment.

Fried Green Tomato
09-20-2006, 10:47 AM
^^^

ok. But when i saw the news segment last night (saksi), deped said that they already made an internal investigation and found nothing in their own backyard. Basing from that statement alone, it looks like another dead end. Of course, the ombudsman can initiate their own investigation but if nobody's going to cooperate in deped (i'm sure they are not going to incriminate themselves even when asked) then i'm afraid it's going no where.

And knowing the backlogs of cases being handled/investigated by the ombudsman, i don't know how long it would take them.

Ghostrider
09-20-2006, 02:41 PM
Dong Puno has been slowly but surely applying pressure on DLSU via his Star column and in the middle of his series Assistant Ombudsman Mark Jalandoni suddenly gets involved.* Aren't these two Ateneo alumni?* It's a conspiracy, I tell you!

To be fair, I think Assistant Ombudsman Jalandoni is also a DLSU college alumnus.

RAINMAN
09-20-2006, 03:34 PM
If the Task Force headed by Mark Jalandoni can determine that a conspiracy existed between DEPT. of EDUCATION officials and the persons named by Mark Benitez, then these persons, even if they are in the private sector, can be indicted together with the responsible DEPED officials for falsification of public documents, violation of Republic Act 3019 (Anti-Graft and Corrupt Practices Act), etc.

bluebruiser90
09-20-2006, 06:15 PM
All the good wishes to Assistant Ombudsman Mark Jalandoni on this task.* Now that this issue has taken a public color by the involvement of the government, I would like to take sides and root for the republic.* May all the real parties reponsible for this episode by deliberate acts and/ or culpable acts or omissions be properly identified and their guilt or negligence proven to the degree required by law to make them answerable.*

peterstrauss
09-21-2006, 08:52 AM
Tectonic shift in policy?
The Philippine Star 09/21/2006

At long last, the Ombudsman has gotten into the picture on the case of the falsified Philippine Educational Placement Test Certificates of Rating (PEPTEST Certificates) of two De La Salle University senior basketball team players. Assistant Ombudsman Mark Jalandoni announced the other day that certain officials of the Department of Education will be asked to explain the issuance of the fake certificates.

Jalandoni said; "The falsification of PEPTEST Certificates erodes the integrity of the educational system specifically the value of government instruments and public documents." But of course!

We have said in this space that both "fact-finding committees" of DLSU and the University Athletic Association of the Philippines had inexplicably come up with pitifully scant facts, the most glaring omission of which was the abject failure to find out who perpetrated the falsifications in the first place.

Since both bodies fell flat on their faces in the fact-finding phase, it is now left to government, the Ombudsman and, if necessary, the National Bureau of Investigation, to determine who, if any one, is responsible for civil and criminal violations, and for violations of the Anti-Graft law.

It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that the scam could not have been carried out solely by the basketball players involved. There obviously were a lot of people, maybe an organized syndicate involving private individuals and DepEd insiders that had to be part of the scam. Hopefully, we will soon find out the truth. The objective should be to exonerate the innocent and the mere "fall guys," and focus on the truly guilty...even if they walk about in priestly (or brotherly?) garb. Abangan!

bluetruck
09-21-2006, 01:25 PM
The price of a championship
Bleachers’ Brew
Rick Olivares
bleachersbrew@gmail.com
I AGREE with Dong Puno when he wrote in his column: “If our young college men and women become steeped in a culture of complicity or silence, as well as a culture of cheating, the idea may take hold that in this country crime pays, as long as one does not get caught. God help us!”

It’s even more positively chilling when you hear that a couple of persons named in the University Athletic Association of the Philippines (UAAP) Fact Finding Report on the De La Salle scandal, has asked a few members of the media to shy away from this most shameful matter. Apparently, some people want to kill this issue. So much for freedom of the press.

When you think about it, no school in recent memory has had many eligibility issues and player scandals than De La Salle.

I recall that former Archer Johnedel Cardel’s eligibility was questioned when he suited up for San Sebastian before moving on to Taft. UAAP rules require a transferee to establish a year’s residency before he can suit up. The protest went nowhere and Cardel played and helped De La Salle to two titles.

There was a similar problem with Noli Locsin as well. If I remember correctly, the games in which he played in his first season were all overturned. And a few years ago, the eligibility of Mark Cardona was questioned.

And now, of course, Benitez and Gatchalian. So who else?

It’s kind of ironic, too, that in the UAAP Report, the coach claimed to know nothing about matters and procedures outside the basketball court (he even said he knew nothing of what his assistants were doing with regards to recruitment, etc.) then when his team guested on a talk show, it was he who was explaining to the host (and the viewers) what his players’ courses were! Ba-dump!

Tommy Manotoc decried the win-at-all-costs mentality that has consumed the basketball program of his alma mater. All those who have agreed with Manotoc’s stand have been called traitors. Hmm. What I learned from my school was that if you stood up for the truth and fought against lies, hypocrisy, dictatorship and deceit, then you were a cause-oriented person, a man of principle or a patriot all rolled up into one.

dose
09-22-2006, 12:27 AM
^^Hindi kaya dahil lagi sila nananalo?

jombag16
09-27-2006, 03:15 PM
guys,

before we discuss the big names involved.. ang root question nalang dito is that bakit pumayag sila Mark benitez and his father to have their papers fixed and not take another PEPT exam? i mean as a parent, you know the capabilities of your son, and would you allow your son to succeed through cheating/deception? at this point i would say dapat managot ang child and parents dito before any big wig. wala ba silang conscience na i'm in the seniors team pero pati high school hindi ko naipasa.. guys, super dali lang ng Pept exam- un mga kick out sa school namin ang nagsasabi.. by the way, i thought DLSU will help Benitez and Gatchalian finish hs?

cha

whiplash
09-28-2006, 01:01 PM
i cant help but commend the one who created the title of the thread... sorry guys.. just had to voice it out

jombag16
10-03-2006, 09:33 PM
ah the infamous title? haha i dont know who did it.. :)

offside
10-04-2006, 02:58 PM
actually im more curious about lasalle scandal part 1. is it an urban legend or did the parties really come from lasalle? what happened to them?

sorry for the off-topic.

now re office of the ombudsman investigating the subject matter... well, after seeing the decision of ombudsgirl gutierrez re the comelec-mega pacific scam, no one should hold their breath about the investigation into this case. mwahaha.

JonarSabilano
10-04-2006, 03:43 PM
actually im more curious about lasalle scandal part 1.* is it an urban legend or did the parties really come from lasalle? what happened to them?

sorry for the off-topic.*

now re office of the ombudsman investigating the subject matter...* well, after seeing the decision of ombudsgirl gutierrez re the comelec-mega pacific scam, no one should hold their breath about the investigation into this case.* mwahaha.

There is an article in FHM's Gold issue about the said "scandal". You might want to read it.

Jump_Shooter
10-04-2006, 04:09 PM
Stay on topic please.

Howard the Duck
10-04-2006, 04:19 PM
guys,

* * before we discuss the big names involved.. ang root question nalang dito is that bakit pumayag sila Mark benitez and his father to have their papers fixed and not take another PEPT exam? i mean as a parent, you know the capabilities of your son, and would you allow your son to succeed through cheating/deception? at this point i would say dapat managot ang child and parents dito before any big wig. wala ba silang conscience na i'm in the seniors team pero pati high school hindi ko naipasa.. guys, super dali lang ng Pept exam- un mga kick out sa school namin ang nagsasabi.. by the way, i thought* DLSU will help Benitez and Gatchalian finish hs?

cha

Now is Benitez that bad?
really?

danny
10-08-2006, 01:13 AM
guys,

before we discuss the big names involved.. ang root question nalang dito is that bakit pumayag sila Mark benitez and his father to have their papers fixed and not take another PEPT exam? i mean as a parent, you know the capabilities of your son, and would you allow your son to succeed through cheating/deception? at this point i would say dapat managot ang child and parents dito before any big wig. wala ba silang conscience na i'm in the seniors team pero pati high school hindi ko naipasa.. guys, super dali lang ng Pept exam- un mga kick out sa school namin ang nagsasabi.. by the way, i thought DLSU will help Benitez and Gatchalian finish hs?

cha

Hindi. Dapat managot lahat ng may sala.

jombag16
10-19-2006, 08:47 AM
tama ka lhat dapat managot the prob is dpat external body ang mag inverstigate, like the nbi.. pag uaap board kasi its either magtakipan or bulgaran since member schools ang kasali. dpat laging may external board that governs such leagues to check and balance..