PDA

View Full Version : Ateneo- La Salle Book

cheesenose
09-02-2006, 10:35 AM
hello to all lasallian friends.

i recently approached Ateneo's alumni office to ask about a book project that i'd like to do. it's to be a compilation of stories and thoughts about the many ateneo-la salle games that have been played over the years. this is not just about basketball, though more than likely, a large portion of the book will be dedicated to basketball. Also, this is not solely about competition at the seniors level. If you have a story about playing against ateneo when you were in grade three, send it in.

that having been said, i'm inviting everyone to send in manuscripts of their stories and experiences during ateneo-la salle. the stories may be happy, sad, or even violent; i don't want you to try to hollywood-ize your stories. if it's ugly, let it be ugly. and of course, i'd appreciate it very much if the stories were as factual as possible. naturally, i have no way of knowing for sure, but i'd like for the book to be as true to the actual events as possible.

Stories from players, affiliated team members, coaches, etc., will be given priority. our research team will verify the veracity of your claims as players, coaches, et al., so no BS-ing around, please.

Once submitted, the manuscripts become my property, though copyright laws revert back to the author. Also, all manuscripts will be treated as is. If typos fill the manuscript and result in my not being able to understand your work, sorry na lang kayo.

This is just a preliminary test to see if our editorial pool can come up with enough submissions to fill a book. Try to keep your submissions down to about 5 pages of single-spaced text or so. if our editorial pool finds that we can fill a book, potentially publishable authors will receive an email from me.

Send your submissions to ateneo_lasalle_book@yahoo.com, and kindly send in your submissions in MS Word Rich Text Format (.rtf).

All forms of written work will be accepted. that means prose, poetry, and if you guys feel like writing a screenplay or short play about it, why the hell not.

thanks to all of you.

bigfreeze_bibby
09-02-2006, 10:51 PM
This is a good project cheesenose. Maybe if the book or final product will be published, I hope we can get a copy of it.

mangtsito
09-03-2006, 04:27 AM
Certainly this book would have a slant of some sort. I doubt if it will be just a simple compilation.

Maybe you owe it to everyone to reveal the school that you came from. That will give us fair warning as to how our submissions will be treated.

cheesenose
09-04-2006, 01:33 PM
in the interest of faor representation, the book will be put together by an editorial team with representatives from both ateneo and la salle. if we can put together enough material, that is.

and yes, i'm from ateneo. i'm not the only editor, and i am fully aware of the need for fair representation. i'm currently interviewing several interested editors who are la sallians, and who will be responsible for making la salle's side of the story interesting and factual. in fact, if some of you are interested in working with me, you can send your resumes to the email address for contributions.

it may seem like i'll be taking the lead here, but of course i won't. deliberations on the merit of each story will be conducted with all editorial members on equal footing.

as for slanting the book, that would depend on the quality of the submissions we receive, naturally. if all the submissions we get are little better than i-hate-ateneo-because... or i-hate-lasalle-because..., then we will probably forego publication of the book.

if you're from la salle, simply say so, and i will forward your submissions to the editor for the la salle section. in the same way, if you're from ateneo, simply say so.

so again, the slant the book will take depends on YOU. we will critique your stories in terms of how well-written and how gripping they are. as i said in my introductory post, if you wish to castigate or defame, feel free. just be sure you can back it up. the point behind this project is not to denigrate one and blame the other, but to get to the truth, or the meat of the rivalry.

atenean_blooded
09-06-2006, 12:41 AM
cheesenose, my recommendation would be to simply reprint news articles about the Ateneo-La Salle games, and if necessary, ask for a commentary by some of the school historians/athletes/etc.

LION
09-06-2006, 07:57 AM
Good luck sa mga Atenista at La Sallista dito sa proyektong ito. Nawa ay maging daan ito upang magkaroon na ng magandang relasyon ang mga lahing bughaw at berde.

Mr. D
09-06-2006, 01:04 PM
You may want to interview JV Gayoso, who is the only player in recent memory to have played for both collegiate teams of Ateneo and La Salle. After graduating from AHS he transfered to Taft. He was part of the team that played in the PICUAA and also the MMBL I think. Then transfered back to Ateneo and was part of the 80's back to back champion team. I wouldnt really consider BJ Manalos stint with Ateneo Addict Mobile in Cebu, since I dont think he enrolled in Ateneo for his masters.*

Rektikano
09-07-2006, 12:44 PM
Jayvee Gayoso was lucky enough to play with strong LaSalle and Ateneo teams in the '80s. I think he was also part of the mid 80s LaSalle team that played in the then PABL. There was a picture in the office of Sports Development before of this team and in it were guys like Alfie Almario, Tonichi Yturri, Franz and Dindo Pumaren, Joey Sta. Maria, Dickie Bachmann, Mike Huang, Rafa Dinglasan, Jayvee Gayoso etc. This team was coached by Derrick Pumaren.

bigfreeze_bibby
09-07-2006, 01:12 PM
Good luck sa mga Atenista at La Sallista dito sa proyektong ito. Nawa ay maging daan ito upang magkaroon na ng magandang relasyon ang mga lahing bughaw at berde.

Maganda naman ang relasyon ng lahing bughaw at berde. Nag-iiba lang talaga pagdating sa basketball hehe. Pero sa mga di maiiwasang pagkakataon lalo na sa internet or forum sites na ganito, meron talagang mga tao na lumalabas na galit sa isa't isa.

Mighty_Alumnus
09-08-2006, 12:38 AM
Timing wouldn't be great given another revelation is about to rock that community.

kryptonite
10-10-2006, 09:06 AM
Jayvee Gayoso was lucky enough to play with strong LaSalle and Ateneo teams in the '80s. I think he was also part of the mid 80s LaSalle team that played in the then PABL. There was a picture in the office of Sports Development before of this team and in it were guys like Alfie Almario, Tonichi Yturri, Franz and Dindo Pumaren, Joey Sta. Maria, Dickie Bachmann, Mike Huang, Rafa Dinglasan, Jayvee Gayoso etc. This team was coached by Derrick Pumaren.

Add Naning Valenciano to that team. I believe that La Salle team won the very first title in the PABL with Valenciano wiining the MVP.

kryptonite
10-10-2006, 09:08 AM
Why not include the Official Line-ups of both schools in the history of the UAAP and NCAA, every season. I have a listing of the Archer's line-ups during their stint in the UAAP, though not complete.

cricohermoso
10-10-2006, 09:52 AM
good project! kudos for the brilliant idea :D

LION
11-07-2006, 07:54 AM
Ano na ang nangyari dito? Natuloy din ba?

atenista_comm
07-05-2007, 03:23 PM
Onga... what ever happened to this project?

nel
07-05-2007, 10:37 PM
Perhaps we should request our friend cheesenose to give an update, whether the project pushed through, is on hold, or was shelved. Sounds like a very interesting project, and I'm sure that there will be many takers from both schools if and when the book does come out.

Howard the Duck
07-07-2007, 12:16 AM
anyone know the head-to-head standing? sa uaap lamang DLSU

atenean_blooded
07-07-2007, 02:01 AM
Howard:

I think even the La Sallites will concede that we had more NCAA wins head-to-head. We've won more championships head-to-head (I think the record's something like 5-3, including UAAP I think, in our favor or something like that). We've also won more championships in the NCAA (Ateneo 23, including 14 men's and 9 juniors' vs. La Salle 10, 5 men's and 5 juniors') and in the UAAP (Ateneo 19, including 3 men's, 1 women's, and 15 juniors' vs. La Salle 11, including 6 men's, 4 women's, and 1 juniors').

In terms of head-to-head championship matches, we've beaten La Salle in 1988 and 2002, and they've beaten us in 2001. In terms of basketball games, I think it's safe to say that La Salle's been winning over us in basketball lately.

And that's just basketball, if we go by sheer number of wins or titles. Our current football dominance in the UAAP doesn't really look very impressive to La Salle's NCAA football record. But we've got a better history when it comes to UAAP and NCAA track and field,UAAP and NCAA volleyball (although our college teams have yet to win as of late). La Salle's been better in terms of UAAP and NCAA swimming and UAAP and NCAA tennis.

ESCALERA JR.
07-07-2007, 10:08 AM
PEDE BANG MAKISALI ANG HINDI ATENISTA O LASALISTA.

Why not include just a small portion of the book to outsiders, i mean schools aside from lasalle/ateneo who were part of the NCAA or UAAP of yesteryears to give account of their experiences.

I for one, as a young schoolboy from the walls of intramuros have watched with awe and "shock" how these 2 very glamorous institutions get it on during basketball games in the then called Loyola Center (B.E.G.) and very old RMC.

I have vivid memories of the first Dream Games i saw from the farthest corners of the bleachers section of the Araneta Coliseum between the Blue Eagles and the Green Archers in the mid 70's. Talaga naman nakakainggit ang media exposure niyo noon pa man magpa-hanggang ngayon. Wala kayong kakupas-kupas.

I am sure guys from other schools particularly another dominant figure wearing the Red jerseys and many others would be glad to give their own account and experiences as well.

An apt title for this column(kahit sa last pages man lang) would be...Outside Looking In: Why does the grass look Greener or the Sky seems Bluer from afar?

mikol
07-21-2007, 09:27 PM
you came up with a very interesting idea...a very good one!. I guess i have to gather up my thoughts and recall the moments when i watched some of La Salle + Ateneo games before. Keep me updated regarding the progress of the book. Thank you & Godbless! ;)