PDA

View Full Version : PBA Imports: The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

Sam Miguel
08-31-2006, 08:42 PM
Some of the most colorful - and even not so colorful - folks have played in the PBA as imports.

A few of the more notable ones: Norman Black, Billy Ray Bates, Michael Hacket, Rob Williams, Cyrus Mann, Byron "Snake" Jones.

Share your memories and anecdotes about the PBA's imports right here.

jembengzon
08-31-2006, 08:51 PM
first two i remember were billy ray robinson and cisco* oliver!* they were the complete opposites

billy ray was low key, bald and bland, but reliable. cicso had the wild afro, was the forefather of the double head tap after every made basket, except he raised both fists high above his head instead (and he scored something like 20+ pts. a game, so imagine how many times he did that a game).

one game, cisco didn't agree with the ref's call, so he started throwing a tantrum on court, ripped off his playing jersey and slouched under the basket.* no one could get him to leave the court. man, that was a riot !* it was a sight, not only because of the antics, but because players in those days weren't exactly in the best of shape either !!!* ;D

Lucas Palaka
08-31-2006, 08:57 PM
Cyrus Mann was among Crispa's original imports. Too bad he got felled by drug use in his later years. Had to be sent home by Baby Dalupan after his marijuana abuse had exacted its toll on his athletic skills and basketball talent.

Byron "Snake" Jones I remember for his smooth, silky lefty moves like he was running on ball bearings. He originally suited up for Toyota, but later signed up by arch-foe Crispa in 1981. Had a good stroke for a big man.

Norman Black I remember for not ever attempting a three-point shot. His reason is that he's got to go clean up after Ricky Brown, Ricky Relosa, Allan Caidic, Franz Pumaren, and all the PBA legends he ever played for in their prime. Had a volcanic temper when he originally suited up for Tefilin. Now you can trust him with your first-born on his baptismal rites :)

Sam Miguel
08-31-2006, 09:13 PM
Any memories about ex-NBA players who played as imports here? Norman Black (Detroit Pistons) and Billy Ray Bates (Portland Trailblazers) are just two of the more notable examples.

Or even imports who eventually played in the NBA? Kevin Gamble (Ginebra, later to the Boston Celtics) and Richie Frahm (Talk N Text, late of the Seattle Supersonics)

pio_valenz
08-31-2006, 09:23 PM
^Two ex-imports won championship rings with the Celtics. David Thirdkill (Tanduay, Purefoods) was a reserve on the Celtics' '86 championship team. And before him, there was Glenn McDonald (U-Tex), who was a reserve on the Celtics' '76 championship team. He was the hero of that classic triple overtime Game 5. There's also Tony Harris (Swift) who played for the Sixers and the Celtics.

Other ex-imports who won NBA championship rings include Wes Matthews (Ginebra, Lakers '87), Billy Thompson (SMB, Lakers 87), Dennis Hopson (Purefoods, Chicago Bulls '91) and Scott Burrell (Red Bull, Chicago Bulls '98). Also, Leon Wood (Purefoods) was on the '84 US Olympic team.

Cedric Ceballos also played here for a couple of games a few years ago. Can't remember which team, though. But he was already past his prime.

chocoks77
08-31-2006, 09:26 PM
1. Scott Burrell(Red Bull) - from the fabled Chicago Bulls of the 90's.
2. Wes Matthews - Ginebra yata from LA Lakers yata.
3. Ennis Whatley - Is he PBA to NBA? He played for San Miguel
4. Darvin Ham - Detroit Pistons
5. Henry James(Ginebra) - Atlanta Hawks
6. Michael Young(Manila Beer) - Phoenix Suns

Some imports that I remember. David Thirdkill for Purefoods, Dexter Shouse also for Purefoods, Terrence Bailey for Presto, CArlos Briggs(I think Rodman copied it from him and made his more flamboyant. Sino pa ba? *Terquin Mott,

Sam Miguel
08-31-2006, 09:40 PM
I almost forgot: Chris King of Gordon's Gin. He led the Gins to the 1997 Commissioner's Cup championship along with Marlou Aquino, Bal David, Noli Locsin, Jayvee Gayoso and Vince Hizon. Before that he was on the regular roster of the Seattle Supersonics where the scouting reports said he was a "streak shooter, tall post-up 3/2, can get up and down the court well, plays adequate defense..."

Sam Miguel
08-31-2006, 09:51 PM
I wonder what ever happened to the PBA's other Mister 100% Awardee, former career Alaska import Sean Chambers...?

cub
08-31-2006, 10:00 PM
Devin Davis of Alaska. led alaska to a 8-0 start in the 1998 governor's cup, and eventually winning the championship.
also, Derrick Hamilton, once scored 78 points in a game. but was sent home for illegal use of drugs in 1995.

christian
08-31-2006, 10:13 PM
ang inaabangan ko nun eh yung mga import ng ginebra! carlos briggs, jumpin' joe ward, leon trimmingham (idol ko to, kaya lang every game he played, his game's level also went down... eventually was replaced) chris king and henry james.

cub
08-31-2006, 10:51 PM
sama na natin dyan si alex coles.. import ng ginebra nung 1995.
very memorable yung dunk nya kasi tinalunan niya from the freethrow line yung 5 PBA babes. dahil dun, nanalo sa dunk contest. ;D

Wang-Bu
08-31-2006, 10:56 PM
Si Alex Coles ba 'yon o si JERVIS COLE? Pero ang alaala ko kay Jervis Cole e nung supalpalin niyang last second three-pointer ni Ronnie Magsanoc para manalo ang Anejo laban sa Shell nung Reinforced Conference ng 1991.

cub
08-31-2006, 10:59 PM
Si Alex Coles ba 'yon o si JERVIS COLE? Pero ang alaala ko kay Jervis Cole e nung supalpalin niyang last second three-pointer ni Ronnie Magsanoc para manalo ang Anejo laban sa Shell nung Reinforced Conference ng 1991.

baka magkaiba yun.. ginebra na yung team nya nun eh.. number 21 sya.. matangkad..

Wang-Bu
08-31-2006, 11:06 PM
Isa pang Ginebra import na muntik ko ng malimutan, Jamie "The Great" Waller. Do-it-all na player 'yon, lakas sa poste kahit hindi naman kalakihan, nasa 6'3" lang yata.

Sino nga 'yung dating Ginebra import na naglaro sa Purefoods? 'Yung import na finally nagbigay ng championship sa Purefoods matapos nung sinasabing "Fernandez Hex". Nasa 6'2" lang yata siya, matindi sa lundagan.

Tapos naalala ko din si Ken Redfield. Ano ba pinapakain o pinapatoma o pinapahithit sa mga taga-Michigan State? Lahat na lang magagaling magdala ng bola at pumasa: Magic Johnson, Steve Smith, at kahit si Ken Redfield.

Wang-Bu
08-31-2006, 11:08 PM
Patawarin tayong lahat ng Poong Maykapal, limutin ba naman daw ang 7-time Best Import awardee na si BOBBY PARKS!

Dapat nga ang Best Import trophy tawagin na lang BOBBY PARKS Trophy.

WampumTribe
08-31-2006, 11:22 PM
...there was Glenn McDonald (U-Tex), who was a reserve on the Celtics' '76 championship team. He was the hero of that classic triple overtime Game 5.

Boston Celtics vs. Phoenix Suns (Game 5, 1976 NBA Finals), still considered by many as the greatest NBA game ever.

jembengzon
08-31-2006, 11:29 PM
toyota had some great imports:

bruce sky king = built like a truck , but strong inside and out; once wore 111 on his jersey when arnie tuadles was 11 and andy fields was 1

Andy fields = silky smooth moves, solid on both ends. cool temprament like george gervin. signature move was his spin move, turn around jumper, in one motion

donny ray koonce = smaller version of fields, but equally as impressive

joelex
09-01-2006, 12:49 AM
ronnie grandison led sunkist to a chip, the late ronnie thompkins was phenomenal, and if i remember it correctly, may hinabol siyang local player all the way to the dugout..lamont strothers and his step back, jay ward of tnt step back din pero literal, free throw area steps back to 3 pt area..bwakaw.., many more.

but if i were to name the last great import to play here, its gotta be damien owens. very very unorthodox, but twice as efficient. led SLR to a title. ibang klase, remeber a him to be an outstanding shotblocker, once solidly blocked danny ildefonso's raise the roof dunk attempt in his prime! talagang napahiya si danny i nun...

bluebruiser90
09-01-2006, 06:09 AM
Isa pang Ginebra import na muntik ko ng malimutan, Jamie "The Great" Waller. Do-it-all na player 'yon, lakas sa poste kahit hindi naman kalakihan, nasa 6'3" lang yata.

Made everybody's list as one of the best players not to be playing in the NBA.

Sino nga 'yung dating Ginebra import na naglaro sa Purefoods? 'Yung import na finally nagbigay ng championship sa Purefoods matapos nung sinasabing "Fernandez Hex". Nasa 6'2" lang yata siya, matindi sa lundagan.

Darenn Queenan.* Won the title for Purefoods teaming up with Rose.

easter
09-01-2006, 07:03 AM
...there was Glenn McDonald (U-Tex), who was a reserve on the Celtics' '76 championship team. He was the hero of that classic triple overtime Game 5.

Boston Celtics vs. Phoenix Suns (Game 5, 1976 NBA Finals), still considered by many as the greatest NBA game ever.

Isn't it amazing that Glenn McDonald played as well on what is considered as the best PBA game ever... U-Tex vs. Toyota. This was the longest 16 seconds in the history of the PBA as U-Tex was down by four and and was able to tie the game and win the PBA crown in overtime.

bluebruiser90
09-01-2006, 07:13 AM
1. Scott Burrell(Red Bull) - from the fabled Chicago Bulls of the 90's.

Lottery pick with Charlotte after a stellar career with UConn. *Was a two way pro as he played AAA baseball in the minors during the college off season and could have played in the majors. *One of the annointed Jordan clones and paid for the curse that went with it as he cut short his career with injuries.

2. Wes Matthews - Ginebra yata from LA Lakers yata.
3. Ennis Whatley- Is he PBA to NBA? He played for San Miguel

The most famous pic of Wes during his heyday with the Lakers was of him being choked by the X Man (Xavier McDaniel) in a Lakers home game vs. the Sonics.

Whatley - NBA to the PBA then back to the NBA again where he played until the 1996 season. *A high draft pick by the Kansas City Kings(13th) in 1983 out of 'Bama and played his first two seasons with the Chicago Bulls. Could be the answer to the trivia question: who was drafted ahead of Clyde Drexler that could have landed The Glide and later Michael Jordan on the same Chicago Bulls team (as Portland picked 13th during that draft)? Of course the Blazers passed up on that combo in the '84 draft by picking Sam Bowie ahead of MJ.

4. Darvin Ham - Detroit Pistons

Known for his power dunks since his college days and once destroyed a backboard while playing for Texas Tech that made it to ESPN. Never drafted. His appearance on the 2003 world champs Pistons capped the long route of minor leagues and 10 day contracts that he took to make it in the NBA.

6. Michael Young(Manila Beer) - Phoenix Suns

Part of the answer to the PBA trivia question: what *3 straight NCAA final four and two time runner-up team sent the most number of its members to the Philippines as imports and who were these players?

Answer: *The Houston Cougars (NCAA Final Four appearance, from the 1981-82 up to the 1983-84 season and runners-up in the 1982-83 to the Jim Valvano led NC State Wolpack and that famous last second follow up dunk and the 1983-84 Georgetown Hoyas of Coach John Thompson, Patrick Ewing, David Wingate and Reggie Williams.

The PHI SLAMA JAMMA alums who played in the PBA were Rob Williams (who teamed up with Andre McCoy and gave the old Tanduay franchise of the Elizaldes their first PBA title. *The Rhum Makers won the succeeding All-Filipino conference but fell short of getting the PBA's thrid grandslam after they fell to the Billy Ray Bates and Tony Hackett led Ginebra San Miguel in the final conference), Michael Young, Benny Anders, Alvin Franklin and David Thompson (the brother of Kareem's back-up at LA, Mycal, not the famous dunker from NC State).

That Cougars team of the '80's would feature four first round picks in the NBA: Williams (23rd, Denver in 1982), Micahel Young (24th, Boston Celtics, 1984) and of course the more heralded members, Akeem Olajuwon (1st, Houston, 1984) and Clyde Drexler (13th, Portland, 1983). *

Williams is arguably the best pure shooter ever to play in the PBA. Tony Harris and Billy Ray Bates can score but Williams can flat out shoot and had parking lot range. *I remember the match ups with Bates where Bates would meet up the ball carrying Williams from the PBA three point line and Williams would just shoot three after three after three a few feet away.

Some imports that I remember. David Thirdkill for Purefoods, Dexter Shouse also for Purefoods, Terrence Bailey for Presto, CArlos Briggs(I think Rodman copied it from him and made his more flamboyant. Sino pa ba?* Terquin Mott,

David Thirdkill and his 12 point championship game 7 performance for Purefoods during their rookie season.* And the "sawa" stories from the Blue Eagle gym.

Carlos Briggs, whippet* that could score a bundle for Ginebra.

Remember Dexter Shouse going after Alamat after Shouse was sent crashing to the floor on a dunk attempt.*Jumped straight up and ran after Jawo after executing a text book army airborne roll. It took half of Shell's bench to restrain him. Jawo froze in his tracks. Shouse was hell bent in tearing Jawo into four pieces if he was able to put his hands on him.

MonL
09-01-2006, 07:53 AM
Remember the imports who played in the ABA? There were a couple that I remember: Tanduay's 6-9 Gene Moore of the Kentucky Colonels(?) and Crispa's Ansley Truitt.

I don't know which PBA team was first to get players with NBA experience, but the earliest NBA vets I remember were Royal Tru-Orange's Otto Moore, Crispa's James Hardy and, yes, Glenn McDonald. In one interview then Glenn said that he did not wear contact lenses during games, as lenses during those days were the hard "pop-out" kind which hurt and got lost easily. Since the rings were colored orange then, Glenn took aim at orange blurs.*

MonL
09-01-2006, 09:32 AM
IN the MICAA back then, the YCO Painters had an American playing for them named James Payne. He had a younger brother, Kenny, who would also later play for Tanduay and team up with ABA vet Gene Moore.

MonL
09-01-2006, 09:48 AM
White players were a minority in the PBA, simply because black players were more athletic and there were so much talent to choose from that there was a lesser chance to get a black “lemon” than a white one. Some white players did make a splash, however. Some good white players that I remember were Tanduay’s Timmy Hirten and Kevin Cluess, U/Tex’s Lee Haven, Seven-Up’s Steve Stroud, Royal’s Gugliotta (Don’t remember his first name, but can anyone verify if he’s related to “Googs” of the NBA?)

LION
09-01-2006, 10:08 AM
Ayos yan pareng MonL, pati ABA e fresh pa rin sa memory mo. MBA na lang ang naabutan ko e.

oca
09-01-2006, 10:12 AM
It is apparent that the namess mentioned here are mostly from the first 15-20 years of the PBA....At tandang-tanda sila ng mga nag-post!

At kailan pa huling nagkaroon ng puting import ? Naaaaaaapakatagal na nu'n!

Dahan-dahan at napaghahalata ang mga edad ninyo. ;D ;D ;D ;D

oca
09-01-2006, 10:13 AM
Ayos yan pareng MonL, pati ABA e fresh pa rin sa memory mo.* MBA na lang ang naabutan ko e.

Nakakabilid ang memory...hindi ito pwedeng hiraman ng pera. :D

Kid Cubao
09-01-2006, 10:44 AM

TnT's richie frahm, ginebra's ryan fletcher, san miguel's chris burgess, and purefoods' david wood are all quality imports over the last four years who happen to be white :)

MonL
09-01-2006, 12:21 PM
It is apparent that the namess mentioned here are mostly from the first 15-20 years of the PBA....At tandang-tanda sila ng mga nag-post!

Dahan-dahan at napaghahalata ang mga edad ninyo. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Bata pa ako nun at madaling makatanda ang bata ;D ;D ;D

MonL
09-01-2006, 12:39 PM

TnT's richie frahm, ginebra's ryan fletcher, san miguel's chris burgess, and purefoods' david wood are all quality imports over the last four years who happen to be white :)

David Wood was a dependable, low-key contributor, yes. But effective just the same. Whites usually play into the system. With black players,well, the line of thinking before was that an import has to make 35-40ppg, aand about 20 rebs a game.*
They would simply dominate a game with their individual skills. Specially imports 6-8 and up.

There was a conference then called the "Reinforced All-Filipino" featuring small imports. But the expectations were still the same. And that's why you have Tony Harris,* Carlos Briggs, and others who would still dominate a game in a conference where the locals should have been the showcase.

On imports* 6-5 and below:
Remember Francoise Wise? 6-5 and 230+ pounds. He and Tanduay enforcer Vic Sanchez were close buddies. There were stories then that Vic would unexpectedly visit Fran in his pad bringing buckets of fried chicken...* ;D* Sanchez called Wise the "Impossible Hulk,"* and Wise in turn, called Vic "Crazy Horse."* *:D*
I think Wise is now a policeman in L.A.

LION
09-01-2006, 12:40 PM
Ayos yan pareng MonL, pati ABA e fresh pa rin sa memory mo.* MBA na lang ang naabutan ko e.

Nakakabilid ang memory...hindi ito pwedeng hiraman ng pera. :D

Bwahahaha. Nadale mo.

yungha
09-01-2006, 12:50 PM
ronnie grandison led sunkist to a chip, the late ronnie thompkins was phenomenal, and if i remember it correctly, may hinabol siyang local player all the way to the dugout..lamont strothers and his step back, jay ward of tnt step back din pero literal, free throw area steps back to 3 pt area..bwakaw.., many more.

but if i were to name the last great import to play here, its gotta be damien owens. very very unorthodox, but twice as efficient. led SLR to a title. ibang klase, remeber* a him to be an outstanding shotblocker, once solidly blocked danny ildefonso's raise the roof dunk attempt in his prime! talagang napahiya si danny i nun...

patay na si ronnie thompkins?

Kid Cubao
09-01-2006, 12:52 PM
yup, he died sometime in 2003.

MonL
09-01-2006, 12:53 PM

but if i were to name the last great import to play here, its gotta be damien owens. very very unorthodox, but twice as efficient. led SLR to a title. ibang klase, remeber* a him to be an outstanding shotblocker, once solidly blocked danny ildefonso's raise the roof dunk attempt in his prime! talagang napahiya si danny i nun...

patay na si ronnie thompkins?

So is Bruce "Sky"King and 6-11 U/Tex center Dan Knight.

Mel
09-01-2006, 01:04 PM
Rob Williams NBa veteran din yan..Denver..he was in that highest scoring game
ever against the Pistons.

May isang game sa Solar napanood ko pa si Bates playing for the Blazers.
I scanned one of my prize possessions here.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e391/melrome/bates.jpg

Jose Slaughter- 6'3" Hills Bros. Held the record for a time with 14 triples in one game.

Dexter Shouse- 6'2" Shell. Kinuha rin ng Purefoods pero umalis agad kaya tinawag siya
na Dexter the Deserter.

Tony Harris-nasa Caf ako nun ateneo high yung mga upperclassmen were talking about
an import who scored 82 in his debut.

Jeff Ward-SMB best import..20 pts 20 rebs. per game...
Terquin Mott!
How about the helicopter Lamont Strothers?
Eh si Willie Bland of late 80s Alaska? Lupit ng dunks nito. Nagka STD daw siya rito nabalita.

David Thirdkill pic

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e391/melrome/thirdkill.jpg

Another ex-Celtic na pumunta rito aside from the sheriff and glen macdonald is Kevin Gamble (Ginebra)..
and Terry Duerod (Ginebra)

How about NCAA finals hero ketih smart of indiana..pumunta rin yan dito.

For Great Tast fans:
Jeff Collins
Michael Britt (the flying pencil)
Milchael Holton
Wally Rank
Andrew "Choo" Kennedy
Walker Russel - great passer; part of the Detroit bad boys

MonL
09-01-2006, 01:06 PM
Any memories about ex-NBA players who played as imports here? Norman Black (Detroit Pistons) and Billy Ray Bates (Portland Trailblazers) are just two of the more notable examples.

Or even imports who eventually played in the NBA? Kevin Gamble (Ginebra, later to the Boston Celtics) and Richie Frahm (Talk N Text, late of the Seattle Supersonics)

The first PBA import to have played in the NBA after playing first in the PBA is Toyota's 6-5 Carlos Terry who played for the Washington Bullets afterwards. After him later on *was 7-0 Jeff Wilkins of CDCP. But the most famous one was Kevin Gamble, who had a long NBA career. To think that he was shipped out after a few games because he did not impress *Coach Jawo enough.

LION
09-01-2006, 01:25 PM
Do you still recall Al Green and Glenn Hagan? Two of my favorite small imports nung sanggol palang ako.

pio_valenz
09-01-2006, 01:59 PM
^I remember Glenn Hagan, played for Crispa in '82 (uh, kwento lang sa akin yan ng tito ko). Hsi Toyota rival was Donnie Ray Koonce, who always had a sad look on his face.

Speaking of Toyota imports, my all-time favorite Toyota import was Andy Fields.

Kid Cubao
09-01-2006, 02:12 PM
actually both of them were crispa imports. glenn hagan i remember because he dressed like a pimp whenever i saw him in cubao :D

bluebruiser90
09-01-2006, 02:51 PM
the late ronnie thompkins was phenomenal, and if i remember it correctly, may hinabol siyang local player all the way to the dugout..

Si Jay Mendoza yata yang nakaaway ni Thompkins.

actually both of them were crispa imports. glenn hagan i remember because he dressed like a pimp whenever i saw him in cubao :D

The PBA had a 6'1" ceiling on imports for one of the regular conferences.

Wang-Bu
09-01-2006, 03:19 PM
Ano nga pangalan nung malaking damulag na import ng Barangay? 'Yung nagpapanalo sa unang kampeonato ni Siot Tanquincen. "Braggs" yata ang apelyido... Ang kasabay nito isa pang malaking damulag duon naman sa San Miguel, mainitin ang ulo at madaling pikunin.

Kid Cubao
09-01-2006, 03:21 PM
torraye braggs is his full name :) yung sa san miguel ay si art long.

pio_valenz
09-01-2006, 06:30 PM
the late ronnie thompkins was phenomenal, and if i remember it correctly, may hinabol siyang local player all the way to the dugout..

Si Jay Mendoza yata yang nakaaway ni Thompkins.

Actually si Ricky Relosa yun. Kitang kita sa slo-mo replay: Relosa looked around to make sure the refs were looking elsewhere, tapos binatukan niya si Thompkins and ran towards the Shell bench. Siya yata ang naging inspirasyon ni Manny Salgado.

bluebruiser90
09-01-2006, 07:59 PM
Ibang goons ng Shell pala. Sinong import ba yung nakabangga ni Jay Mendoza? Alam ko may ganyan din yang episode.

Gil_Andrews
09-03-2006, 09:02 PM
My Top 3 best offensive Imports of All-Time:

1. Tony "Hurricane" Harris - can't forget those 2 to 3 "hurricane" spin moves from the top of the key off 3 to 4 defenders before dricing strong to the basket. At 6'2, he could be the import who was never cheked or stopped by any local or fellow import. He could post up donw low and shoot the three from rainbow country anytime too.

2. Billy Ray "The Black Superman" Bates - 6'3 Mr. Showtime was also unstoppable specially during his Crispa days. He was also unstoppable from the 3 pt arc. He almost always scored close range shots with dunks. Siya rin and nag pauso ng free throw na pabanda.

3. Bobby Parks - 6'3 Mr. Do-it-all who can play all positions. Remember his 74 pt output in the IBA tournament when he played as a "hiram" import for Ginebra/Anejo. Always calm and in control of his fouls, he could be the most intelligent and the most banged Import to have ever played in Philippine soil. Kahit na anong balya nila Jawo at Distrito sa kanya, kalmado at laro pa rin.

Wang-Bu
09-04-2006, 08:03 PM
One-game wonder lang si Cedric Ceballos pero at least masasabi pa ding nagkaroon ng NBA All Star na naglaro dito.

Sino kayang team ang naging pinakamaswerte pagdating sa pagkuha ng import?

Buenas ang Shell kay Parks, Alaska kay Chambers, Crispa kay Bates, na halos lahat ng pagkakataon kung hindi man nagkampeon ang kani-kanilang koponan ay lumaban pa din para sa kampeonato.

chocoks77
09-04-2006, 10:53 PM
Joe, Cubao, Naalala ko na yung import ng Presto dati si Winston Crite. Sa San Miguel si Derrick Chievous

Mel
09-05-2006, 10:01 AM
...Winston Crite aka The Human Eraser
...Wally Rank of Great Taste puting import din.
..binanggit na ba si Kenny Travis? Brave enough to match tony harris.

Malas sa imports ang san miguel nung late 80s to early 90s...buti na lang
magaling locals.

pio_valenz
09-05-2006, 05:30 PM
My all-time favorite blue collar type import was Lambert Shell, one of the first imports who played for Sta. Lucia in the mid nineties. He played with little fanfare and emotion, but he always put up big numbers at the end of the game and was very consistent. I remember one game he hit something like 27 out of 28 free throws.

freak
09-05-2006, 07:15 PM
I remember watching Tony "The Hurricane" Harris back in the day.. isa yata siya sa mga sikat balik-imports nun na napaka-notorius. ;D I think he even was involved with an actress here.

Wang-Bu
09-05-2006, 07:54 PM
Bukod kina Norman Black at Bobby Parks sino pa bang mga import ang nagtagal ang pananatili sa pinagpalang bayan ng Pilipinas?

bluebruiser90
09-05-2006, 08:33 PM
Daryl Smith. Cebuano na.

chocoks77
09-05-2006, 09:28 PM
I remember watching Tony "The Hurricane" Harris back in the day.. isa yata siya sa mga sikat balik-imports nun na napaka-notorius. ;D* I think he even was involved with an actress here.

Ilonah Jean

AnthonyServinio
09-05-2006, 09:42 PM
Daryl Smith. Cebuano na.
Daryl Smith has made Cebu City his home since he married a Filipina after this two-season PBA stint for Great Taste and Winston.* In Cebu he became the resident "import" for M. Lhuillier, although he was later considered a local player in the commercial leagues there.

In January of 2005, M. Lhuiillier ended an era by waiving the then 48-year old Smith after winning the lone United Regional Basketball League (URBL) tournament a month earlier.

To this day, Smith still makes a living playing in fiestas and short-term tournaments in the Vis-Min area.

Joescoundrel
09-05-2006, 11:09 PM
Winston Crite, yes, a shellhead if ever there was one. I recall the "block parties" he had against another import known more for his rebounding and defense, Anejo's Sylvester "Sly" Gray. Whenever Presto and Anejo played against each other in these times it was like watching the Dragonball characters literally skying and slamming against one another.

bluebruiser90
09-06-2006, 05:56 AM
Sylvester Gray, the Human Aparador.*Thick and muscular, he looked like he was chiseled from marble. Played in a conference that had a 6'6" height limit but looked so imposing that other teams started compalianing that no way Gray was shorter than 6'8". Probably crouched himself to a huncback and retracted his 22" inch neck when he was officially measured by the PBA office.

MonL
09-06-2006, 07:18 AM
Toyota had 3 Kings in its storied history: the first and local one, Abe, and then the imports: 6-8 Bruce "Sky" King and later on, 6-9 Victor King....

Joescoundrel
09-07-2006, 10:05 PM
Who was "Jumpin'" Joe Ward's import partner, the shorter import in a one big-one small conference? He was a stone scorer with a funky sidecut box top 'do.

freak
09-07-2006, 10:37 PM
Who was "Jumpin'" Joe Ward's import partner, the shorter import in a one big-one small conference? He was a stone scorer with a funky sidecut box top 'do.

Carlos Briggs?

triggerwes
09-08-2006, 01:49 AM
Tommy Davis and Joe Ward ata ang magpartner. Sa pagkakaalala ko shooter itong si Davis mejo nde ko nagustuhan ang laro nya.

Kid Cubao
09-08-2006, 09:12 AM
that's right, it was tommy davis who paired up with joe ward for anejo in the late 80s.

bluebruiser90
09-11-2006, 07:29 AM
I remember a Henry James playing for Ginebra in the '90's. A shooter without a conscience.

Is he the same guy in this news release?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2579119

BigBlue
09-11-2006, 09:05 AM
I remember a Henry James playing for Ginebra in the '90's. A shooter without a conscience.

Is he the same guy in this news release?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2579119

Yep, that's him alright. Not long after his Ginebra stint, he joined the Atlanta Hawks and made tied the record for most 3-pointers in a quarter, as mentioned in the article.

Buttah Like Parkay
09-21-2006, 09:13 AM
"The Helicopter" Lamont Strothers - My favorite import of all-time. His drives to the basket, his spin moves to up-and-under improbable layups were just a thing of beauty to watch. I remember when he first came to the PBA, he hardly had an outside shot...but he became deadly from long range as time passed by. Also brought "The Shimmy" to the PBA.

Kenny Travis - Overlooked because he played in that era of Tony Harris, Grandison, Sean Chambers in his prime, etc. But he was a very good player for SMB as well.

Tony Harris - What a beast. Dude was the epitome of a scoring machine. Didn't he set the PBA record with 104 points in a game? That was absurd. I remember seeing highlights of that game when i was a kid. I was like, "How could dude not play in the NBA?". Of course i was only a kid then with limited knowledge of what it takes to play in the NBA...Too bad the only thing he could really do was score...and his attitude sucked, from what i heard/remember. Regardless, he was still very entertaining to watch.

My all-time favorite blue collar type import was Lambert Shell, one of the first imports who played for Sta. Lucia in the mid nineties. He played with little fanfare and emotion, but he always put up big numbers at the end of the game and was very consistent. I remember one game he hit something like 27 out of 28 free throws.

I hated this guy as a young'n coz he always seemed to play his best against SMB. I remember watching that game where he went 27/28. If i'm right, that was in the Finals against SMB. I think it was a 3OT game or something and i remember Franz Pumaren (who was still a backup to Hector Calma at that time) hitting some clutch shots.

Lastly, anyone remember John Best? How could we go 5 pages without a mention of him. Granted, he wasn't a "standout" per se...but he was still very effective in his multiple stints in the PBA. He reminded me of Reggie Miller with his slim frame, bald head, and deadly outside shot.

Buttah Like Parkay
09-21-2006, 09:27 AM
I forgot someone fairly recent...

Lenny Cooke.

He was supposed to be Lebron before Lebron. Dude was featured in SLAM magazine and was widely hailed as the next big thing out of HS. He was also responsible, in a way, for jumpstarting the Lebron hype. From what i read, when Lebron was a Sophomore and Cooke was a Senior, they met in a tournament. Lenny was the top senior that time and Bron was the top soph. Bron, to many people's surprise, owned Lenny in the tournament. Not only did he match him, he exceeded Lenny.

Many people thought Lenny had NBA talent out of HS and his handlers urged him to enter, which he did. In truth, Lenny didn't have a choice. For all the talent he had, Lenny was dumb. No University would have accepted him coz his intellectual capacity just wasn't there. His HS grades were a joke as were his SAT's. Likewise, his basketball IQ was below average...which was probably the reason he wasn't drafted.

Anyway, he went on to have a good run with Purefoods before blowing up his Achilles and in all likelihood, ending his NBA dream. Last i heard, he was working his way back to shape from the injury. He still plays in various rec-leagues/tourneys in the US but word is that he isn't the player he used to be.

xxio
10-12-2006, 03:34 PM
Wow 5 pages and no mention of Michael "the bulldog" Hackett? The Ginebra import who never crossed the midcourt line to score 100 points. Tuadles had 20 assists just trhowing the inbounds pass towards the other freethrow line.

Wang-Bu
10-12-2006, 03:45 PM
Saan nag-import si KEITH SMART? Siya din ba 'yung Keith Smart na nagpapanalo sa Indiana Hoosiers ni Bobby Knight nung isang NCAA Finals?

bluebruiser90
10-12-2006, 04:36 PM
Yup same guy. Played in the '87 NCAA finals and sank the game winner for Indiana U, Bobby Knight and Steve Alford.

San Miguel Beer. Played very few games and was replaced. Baka nga one game lang. Not the prototypical PBA import.

bluebruiser90
10-12-2006, 04:39 PM
Wow 5 pages and no mention of Michael "the bulldog" Hackett? The Ginebra import who never crossed the midcourt line to score 100 points. Tuadles had 20 assists just trhowing the inbounds pass towards the other freethrow line.

He was good but I guess his rep got a beating by the way he went after all those records.* Remember when he was chasing the single game rebound high record, he was throwing the ball off the boards just to pad his stats.

vickster
10-12-2006, 09:25 PM
There was this pair of Tanduay imports named Odell Ball and Kevin Cluess. They were a notable pair since Cluess was one of the few white imports in the early 80s and Ball was one of the imports with unlimited height then. Cluess was slow and not really that talented, but added stability and good outside shooting. But as far as I remember, they didnt win a lot of games. ;D

Jump_Shooter
10-12-2006, 09:29 PM
Yup same guy.* Played in the '87 NCAA finals and sank the game winner for Indiana U, Bobby Knight and Steve Alford.

San Miguel Beer. Played very few games and was replaced. Baka nga one game lang. Not the prototypical PBA import.

Pwedeng maging trivia question ito: who was the only player to have played for Bobby Knight and Norman Black? ;D

AnthonyServinio
10-12-2006, 09:37 PM
Yup same guy.* Played in the '87 NCAA finals and sank the game winner for Indiana U, Bobby Knight and Steve Alford.

Pwedeng maging trivia question ito: who was the only player to have played for Bobby Knight and Norman Black?* ;D

Keith Smart, whose claim to fame is hitting the buzzer beater that won the NCAA title for Indiana. Later recruited as a PBA import and eventually became head coach of the NBA's Cleveland Cavaliers.

Sam Miguel
10-25-2006, 03:41 PM
Jerald Honeycutt, listed as 6-foot-9 and 245 pounds at the 3 and 4 spots, was chosenn 39th overall by Milwaukee in the 1997 Draft, the same draft that had Tim Duncan, Keith Van Horn and Chauncy Billups. He was highly touted as a college player with his multiple skills. I wonder why he never quite panned out in the NBA? He played for Talk N Text here in the PBA.

joelex
11-01-2006, 05:14 AM
Ugliest was darvin ham.

i dont know if dude didnt dish out 100% or he just proves that some NBA players do not automatically dominate PBA ball.

joelex
11-01-2006, 05:16 AM
for me, the most legit NBA vet to prove the disparity of play here and there was art long. he singlehandedly dominated the PBA and IIRC, led the beemren atop the the standings.

sadly though his stay was cut short due to a falling out between him and SMB management.

Sam Miguel
11-06-2006, 09:16 PM
Art Long had quite a temper and was a candidate for anger management sessions...

gameface_one
11-10-2006, 10:56 AM
Celtic hero to visit Manila
SPORTING CHANCE By Joaquin M. Henson
The Philippine Star 11/10/2006

Glenn McDonald, the hero of the Boston Celtics’ classic 128-126 triple overtime win over Phoenix in the 1976 National Basketball Association (NBA) finals, is arriving in Manila tomorrow for a sentimental one-week visit with wife Renee.

McDonald, 54, played and coached in the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) from 1978 to 1983. Since leaving the PBA, McDonald continued to be involved in basketball as Long Beach State’s varsity coach for women and the Los Angeles Sparks’ assistant coach in the Women’s National Basketball Association (WNBA). Today, he is a scout for the Utah Jazz and the athletic director at Long Beach State, his alma mater.

McDonald and his wife will be house guests of Rajan and Apples Sadhwani in Bel-Air Village, Makati. McDonald was Sadhwani’s best man when he got married to the popular fashion model Apples Aberin in 1997.

The coming visit will be McDonald’s third to Manila since ending his PBA career. He was here in 1995 to train the Mobiline team for two weeks and again in 1997, for Sadhwani’s wedding.

"I met Glenn when I was doing marketing work for Le Tigre shirts and he was playing in the PBA," said Sadhwani. "We became close friends and never lost contact. Whenever I visit Los Angeles, I always call on Glenn."

It was McDonald who put Sadhwani in contact with another PBA veteran Francois Wise in Los Angeles. Now a policeman, the burly Wise is assigned to Shaquille O’Neal’s security detail when the Miami Heat center is in L. A.

"When Glenn played in the PBA, imports were quite popular because the good ones kept coming back," said Sadhwani. "Guys like Wise and Lew Massey were celebrities. Lately, a lot of imports just come and go because they’re replaced so often, making it difficult for fans to identify with many of them."

McDonald found a second home in the Philippines. His son Michael was born here, played for Stanford University and once tried out for the Sacramento Kings as a 6-1 guard. The McDonalds’ only other child Alexis played volleyball at Washington State.

McDonald attended Jefferson High in Los Angeles then moved to Long Beach State where in 1971-72, he averaged 5.5 points as a sophomore under coach Jerry Tarkanian and the varsity posted a 25-4 record. The next season, McDonald sat out part of the campaign due to injuries but managed to improve his scoring clip to 7.3 as new coach Lute Olson led the 49ers to a 26-3 mark and a fifth consecutive Pacific Coast Athletic Association title.

As a senior, McDonald hit at an 11.5 clip. The 49ers registered a 24-2 record but failed to qualify for the NCAA Tournament due to a probation penalty. Long Beach extended its home win streak to 77 games, finishing the 1973-74 season with 12 straight victories. The varsity yielded only 61.1 points a game, ranking eighth in the NCAA in defense, and scored a 65-64 decision over the University of San Francisco whose team was bannered by future pros Kevin Restani and Phil Smith.

McDonald’s collegiate exploits caught the attention of the Celtics front office. Boston general manager Red Auerbach said, "One thing I liked about Glenn was the way his college coach never took him out — he was the guy who held Long Beach together."

Celtics coach Tommy Heinsohn said, "Glenn’s fast, has good hands and can shoot — he has excellent size for the backcourt, great speed for the front." It was no surprise the Celtics picked McDonald on the first round in the 1974 NBA draft.

Playing behind John Havlicek, McDonald averaged 2.7 points in 62 games as a Celtic rookie. Slowly, he polished his style, learning the art of shooting and faking from Don Nelson, defense from Paul Silas and forward play from Havlicek.

In 1975-76, McDonald raised his scoring norm to 5.6. He will forever be remembered as the Celtics hero in the finals that season.

In Game 5, McDonald came off the bench to score six points and grab a key rebound in the Celtics’ triple overtime win over Phoenix. Boston rode on the momentum of the big win to clinch the crown in Game 6.

"Have I ever played in three overtimes before?" said McDonald. "I barely played in one overtime. But the pressure didn’t bother me because if I was worried about it, I’d have screwed up. I finally got a chance to play and coach Heinsohn had confidence in me. All you can say about this game is that Celtic pride paid off."

Ironically, McDonald was cut by the Celtics before the next season. He was picked up from waivers by Milwaukee. McDonald played only nine games for the Bucks before winding up his three-year NBA career.

In the PBA, McDonald played on two U-Tex title squads under coach Tommy Manotoc. His most memorable conference was in the 1980 Open where he teamed with Aaron James to tow U-Tex to a come-from-behind win over Toyota in the best-of-five finals. In 1981, McDonald coached U-Tex to a runner-up finish in the Reinforced All-Filipino conference. He called the shots for the Wranglers up to 1982.

In 1983, McDonald made a playing comeback in the PBA but saw action in only two games for Manhattan which he also coached.

McDonald is in the PBA history books as the first import to coach in the league. Among his U-Tex teammates were Bogs Adornado, Fritz Gaston, Jimmy Noblezada, Rudy Hines and Lim Eng Beng.

To the McDonalds, welcome back to your second home.

Kid Cubao
11-10-2006, 06:12 PM
glenn mcdonald--yan ang isa sa mga unang astig na imports sa PBA. san kayo makakakita ng player, let alone an import, na pinapayagan magyosi sa bench? no kidding: when he coached u-tex, he chainsmoked all game long.

razor
11-11-2006, 11:07 AM
Saan nag-import si KEITH SMART? Siya din ba 'yung Keith Smart na nagpapanalo sa Indiana Hoosiers ni Bobby Knight nung isang NCAA Finals?

He played here in '89 and but was replaced by Enis Whatley who then led SMB to the Championship for a Grand Slam.

Some say he played here injured, hence, his poor performance.

theboywhocriedwolf
11-17-2006, 12:42 AM
a few other ginebra imports i remember in the 90s:

-Alex Coles: was famous for his dunks (including the one over Noli Locsin and 3 or 4 other cheerleaders in the slamdunk contest).

-Leon Trimmingham: a scoring threat from anywhere. national player of a certain country in the olympics/world championships if i'm not mistaken.

-Dennis Edwards: originally from the pbl. a master of semi-hook/one-hander floaters even from afar.

-Henry James: 3-pt king. NBA vet. was mentioned in the Jordan Rules (book on MJ in the 90s).

yungha
11-27-2006, 10:41 AM
tanduay once brought in an import named freeman williams. if i'm not mistaken, freeman williams is the only pba import to date ever to have been honored as nba player of the week.

anyway, in his first pba game, he scored 11 points. he called his mom and his mom said i can't believe you only scored 11 points. in his second game, he scored 81 points. he called his mom again and his mom said i can't believe you scored 81 points.

MonL
11-27-2006, 11:32 AM
tanduay once brought in an import named freeman williams. if i'm not mistaken, freeman williams is the only pba import to date ever to have been honored as nba player of the week.

anyway, in his first pba game, he scored 11 points. he called his mom and his mom said i can't believe you only scored 11 points. in his second game, he scored 81 points. he called his mom again and his mom said i can't believe you scored 81 points.

He was listed among the top five college players in the late 70s along with Marvin Delph, who played for the US National Team in the Worlds in Manila in 1978, and a certain hick named Larry Bird from obscure Indiana State U.....

fujima04
11-27-2006, 02:44 PM
a few other ginebra imports i remember in the 90s:

-Alex Coles: was famous for his dunks (including the one over Noli Locsin and 3 or 4 other cheerleaders in the slamdunk contest).

Correct me if I'm wrong. I believed his name is Jervis Cole, but I am not sure, and yeah I remember this guy doing that dunk over Noli and cheerleaders.

pio_valenz
11-27-2006, 05:19 PM
^Two different players. Jervis Cole played for Ginebra in 1991 and was their import when they staged that dramatic comeback from a 3-1 deficit, capped of course by Distrito's title-clinching shot in Game 7. Alex Coles played sometime in the mid-90s, but came onboard midway through whatever conference just as Ginebra was about to be eliminated. Hence, he palyed for only a couple of games.

RockLobster
11-27-2006, 06:38 PM
Carlos Briggs?

Carlos Briggs was the redhead Ginebra import, right?* He was a pretty good outside shooter.

Lastly, anyone remember John Best? How could we go 5 pages without a mention of him. Granted, he wasn't a "standout" per se... but he was still very effective in his multiple stints in the PBA. He reminded me of Reggie Miller with his slim frame, bald head, and deadly outside shot.

I was told by a former German officemate of mine that John Best became a mainstay of one of the commercial teams in the German basketball league.* Made a good account of himself for the number of years that he played.

fujima04
11-27-2006, 06:59 PM
^Two different players. Jervis Cole played for Ginebra in 1991 and was their import when they staged that dramatic comeback from a 3-1 deficit, capped of course by Distrito's title-clinching shot in Game 7. Alex Coles played sometime in the mid-90s, but came onboard midway through whatever conference just as Ginebra was about to be eliminated. Hence, he palyed for only a couple of games.

I see, so they are 2 different Coles pala. But from what I can remember, It was the "JERVIS" one that made the spectacular dunk over Noli Locsin.

I remembered parang naglaro din siya sa PBL/PABL after ng PBA or vice versa.

RockLobster
11-27-2006, 07:05 PM
^I might be wrong, pero there's this Andy Grosvenor, a Ginebra import I think, na naging import sa PABL after a stint in the PBA.* Hindi ba siya 'yung tinutukoy mo?* Magkamukha sila, actually, at magsing-itim. :)

Also, on imports who were able to play in the NBA after their PBA stint, I remember Ansu Sesay of Sta. Lucia was sgined by the Seattle Supersonics in the late 90s (or was it early 2000?).

fujima04
11-27-2006, 07:38 PM
^I might be wrong, pero there's this Andy Grosvenor, a Ginebra import I think, na naging import sa PABL after a stint in the PBA. Hindi ba siya 'yung tinutukoy mo? Magkamukha sila, actually, at magsing-itim. :)

Malamang nga...before kasi, when I saw him. I knew he was the one who once played for Ginebra.

I also remembered, aside from Scott Burell, recently (around 2 years ago?) Alaska acquired the services of Dickie Simpkins. The same player who played along with Michael Jordan with the Bulls.

Wang-Bu
11-27-2006, 11:05 PM
Tila yata nakaligtaan si Sean Chambers, the other Mr 100% among PBA Imports other than the legendary Norman Black.

Kid Cubao
11-28-2006, 11:02 AM
I see, so they are 2 different Coles pala. But from what I can remember, It was the "JERVIS" one that made the spectacular dunk over Noli Locsin.

again, how can jervis cole make that spectacular dunk over noli locsin when they're teammates at ginebra when the said import played locally?

Kid Cubao
11-28-2006, 11:04 AM
the only PBA import to also play in the PBL is shell's andy grosvenor (pronounced GROV-NER).

AnthonyServinio
11-28-2006, 11:25 AM
the only PBA import to also play in the PBL is shell's andy grosvenor (pronounced GROV-NER).

* * *Nope, Dennis Edwards of Ginebra also had an earlier PBL stint with Tanduay Gold.

* * *In addition, Tony Harris, Bobby Parks, Alex Coles, Purnell Perry have reinforced PBL-formed squads to international competitions like the FIBA-Asia Champions Cup.* This was after their PBA stints, save for Perry.

fujima04
11-28-2006, 11:53 AM

again, how can jervis cole make that spectacular dunk over noli locsin when they're teammates at ginebra when the said import played locally?

Well, it's not an actual game. It's like a slam dunk contest or something. As I've said, Coles dunked it over Noli Locsin plus 4 or 5 PBA Cheerleaders being lined-up under the rim.

xxio
11-28-2006, 01:03 PM
Andy Grosvenor...My friends and I were there when he made his debut. He was a quick replacement for an injured import. I think he was here on vacation visiting Bobby Parks. IIRC they are cousins. We werew like WTF....who is this guy.

In that era of 30+ pts per game imports. "Governor" as the colisuem kept mispronouncing his name scored like 12 pts. I think Tuadles (Arnie) was the one who carried the team that game.

pio_valenz
11-28-2006, 04:50 PM

Actually it was Alex Coles who dunked over Locsin and three or four other guys during the Slam Dunk contest. His leaping ability was well-advertised even before he played his first game for Ginebra. Unfortunately, when he arrived as a replacement, like I said Ginebra was on the brink of elimination so he only got to play two games. Jervis, on the other hand, was an inside operator. Please note, though that it's Jervis COLE (no "s" at the end) and Alex COLES (with "s"). I remember because the sportscasters christened the former Jervis "Burning" Cole.

theboywhocriedwolf
12-01-2006, 12:39 AM
if i'm not mistaken, Coles (and Locsin) still didn't win the contest even with that dunk. By pairs pa yata yung format ng slamdunk event at that time.

Sam Miguel
12-01-2006, 03:41 PM
I ran into the name KEITH SMART in an NBA online article, seems this guy's Nellie's assistant now at Golden State. I wonder if this is the same Keith Smart mentioned in this thread...?

Sam Miguel
12-01-2006, 03:44 PM
And speaking of imports, who for you guys is the best WHITE import to play in the PBA?

In recent memory (although imperfect) there was a white guy who played for San Miguel Beer, last year I think, during the big import conference (6'8" limit). I forgot his name, but that guy was one smart baller.

Ryan Fletcher was also a productive import for Ginebra some two years ago, and for Sta Lucia last year.

john_paul_manahan
12-02-2006, 05:40 AM
Fletcher was K-Mart's teammate at Cincinnati

Kid Cubao
12-02-2006, 05:49 AM
yes, sam miguel, that's the same keith smart now with golden state. keith smart's become a basketball lifer, i guess.

the white import you're referring to is chris burgess, who played for san miguel until he was replaced by ace custis, as far as i recall. good move on their part, for custis was the big difference for the beermen as they went on to beat talk n text for the PBA conference title.

for me the best white imports talent-wise were kevin cluess of tanduay, defensive specialist david wood (whose last team was purefoods), and richie frahm of talk n text.

theboywhocriedwolf
12-04-2006, 01:10 AM
Fletcher was K-Mart's teammate at Cincinnati

I can still remember his first game for Ginebra. I believe it was his first time to suit up as an import (coming out of college) and he wasn't really used to logging heavy minutes. At the dying minutes of the game, I think he threw up or something (parang nahilo yata siya nun). After that game though, he became fully adjusted to his role.

Wang-Bu
06-28-2007, 11:06 AM
Lintek sa pinakitang laro kagabi 'yung JAMES PENNY, iika-ika na nga nabitbit pa din ang team niya sa tagumpay.

Mel
07-14-2007, 02:16 AM
Keith Smart of Bobby Knight's Indiana gained national prominence in the US after his clutch shot in the NCAA final. He went out in the same draft as Reggie Miller. The city of Indiana could not accept that the franchise drafted someone named Reggie Miller out of UCLA. Fifteen to twenty years later, Reggie Miller can be mentioned in the same breath as Larry Bird in Indiana basketball lore.

Howard the Duck
07-20-2007, 12:00 AM
Ryan Fletcher kahit talo ni-retain pa rin ng BGK hehehe

cricohermoso
07-24-2007, 05:39 PM

Fletcher did wonders too with Sta. Lucia back in the Fiesta Cup 2005. Too bad twice beaten sila sa quarters. :P

Sayang si Rod Nealy this conference :( He's a very efficient offensive player. too bad Ginebra lost in that forgettable Game 3 against SMB :(

Howard the Duck
07-24-2007, 09:03 PM

Fletcher did wonders too with Sta. Lucia back in the Fiesta Cup 2005. Too bad twice beaten sila sa quarters. :P

Sayang si Rod Nealy this conference :( He's a very efficient offensive player. too bad Ginebra lost in that forgettable Game 3 against SMB :(
siya pa lang ang white import na nakikita ko ;D

irateluvmachine
07-25-2007, 01:42 PM

siya pa lang ang white import na nakikita ko ;D

what about david wood, former purefoods import and nba journeyman? fletcher's ok, but wood was a better all-around player and intangibles guy...perfect fit for purefoods' halfcourt game.

irateluvmachine
07-27-2007, 03:57 AM
despite growing up on pinball-ish pba scores in the late '80s and early '90s, my favorite PBA import of all time would have to be lamont strothers...was too young to fully appreciate billy ray bates and michael hackett during their heyday, and tony harris was always too much of a ball-hog for my tastes. strothers started out as your typical scoring machine-type super-import, then later on in his career became more of a sean chambers-type, fitting in more with the system rather than totally dominating the boxscore...without losing his effectiveness.

lemon of an import for SMB. naalala ko nung bata ako, tawag ko sa kanya "keith dumb" nung pinauwi na siya ng beermen...little did i know that he was the hero of bobby knight's NCAA champion indiana hoosiers in the mid-'80s as steve alford's backcourt partner...

another reason why i'm not too much of a fan of ballhogging imports. last place ang tanduay nung nag-import siya...and yes, while he regularly scored 60+ for the rhum makers, i think he scored less than 20 as well in his last PBA game. his college nickname was "NO CONSCIENCE"...no big surprise since he was a volume shooter in his NCAA and NBA days...forgot though with what teams he played for...san diego (now L.A.) clippers ata.

wala pa masyadong nagbanggit kay dexter "THE LOUSE" shouse...i remember how disgusted i was when purefoods picked him up...para lang mang-iwan siya ulit sa ere. that guy should've been blacklisted from the PBA first time he pulled that off, with shell, if i'm not mistaken...

macgyver
08-19-2007, 11:10 AM
People, still remember the import from Royal Tru-Orange who would always make three bounces of the ball on the free-throw line before shooting? The crowd would always count aloud after every bounce. LARRY POUNDS, his partner was OTTO MOORE. They led RTO to a championship. Remember the Yoyong Martirez swipe of the ball from behind off a streaking Francis Arnaiz?

Remember the import who left his shoes on the goalpost after an 85 game performance? Former NBA Slam Dunk champion LARRY "The Hawk" MCNEIL, partner of Dean Tolson in Gilbey's Gin.

Remember the import who was nicknamed "Kamandag" (Carlo J. Caparas character, half snake, half man) because of this long hair? JEROME HENDERSON, Tanduary import partnered with CURTIS BERRY

Remember RUSSEL MURRAY? After making a basketball, he would run back in funny awkward gait.

Remember the Alaska import who was banished because he was involved in game-fixing? WILLIE BLAND

Remember JAMES LISTER AND ED LAWRENCE, the 6'10 and 7'0 tandem of CDCP back then?

Remember Crispa imports SYLVESTER CUYLER, JAMES HARDY, LEWIS BROWN and GLENN MOSELEY?

Remember JEFF WILKINS 7'0?

AARON JAMES, BERNIE HARRIS, LEROY JACKSON, DARREL ALLUMS, CHARLES MATHENEY, CHARLES BRADLEY (he with the unorthodox one handed shot)

NORM KELLY and TOM SNYDER the white import duo of what team I can't remember.

That's all for now, folks!

erichubert
08-19-2007, 10:10 PM
How about Kenny Redfield, Mr Triple Double himself. He played for Pepsi, Purefoods but it was with Shell that he really made it big with that running three point buzzer beater to beat Ginebra. That was classic.
Also Jay Taylor who played for Purefoods under Chot circa 1993-95, smallish guard with a smooth outside shot.
Rodney Monroe played for Shell also around that time, he was a very reliable and efficient import who even came back for a second stint. Another former import was Bob McCann, he played for Yeng with Pepsi and he was a former NBA player too, he was strong but not too fancy. Another good import was Ronnie Coleman who was a lefty bigman with a good post game and played for Pepsi too. Ansu Sesay was also good, he played for Seattle after his stint here with Sta. Lucia I think. Of the recent imports Quemont Greer is doing well in the NBDL and I would be surprised if he gets a call from a NBA team soon.

Ghostrider
08-20-2007, 09:29 PM
First white import I saw was the 7'1 canadian (?) Jim Zoet. At that time, he was the tallest import to ever play for the PBA. then also John Kazmer in 1981.

Other memorable imports who graced our shore were Chris King (from Wake Forest ata), Jay Edwards, Steve Hood, Russel Murray, Terrance Bailey, Byron Houston, Lew "Machine Gun" Massey, Kevin Porter, Terry Duerod, Archie Talley, Aaron James, Carlos Terry, Clinton Wheeler, Mike McGee, Jose Slaughter, Stewart Granger, Mitchell Wiggins, Howard Carter, nba ref Leon Wood, Kenny Fields, Dell Demps, Alfrederick Hughes, Bernard Thompson, Derrick Chievous, Jerome Lane, Kenny Battle, Byron Irvin, Earl Tatum, Kelvin Upshaw, Carl Bird, Larry Demic, Cisco Oliver, Cyrus Mann, Ronnie Coleman and the prolific Richard Dumas.

Wild wild Wes Matthews also came to blows with Joey Loyzaga for his comment regarding Joey's then wife Gretchen Barreto.

Vince Askew, Mario Elie, Sedric toney, Pat Durham, Ennis Whatley and Steve Colter were some of the other imports that made it back to the NBA coming from the PBA.

Ledell Eackles, Jarvis Basnight and Willie Glass flew iin but never made their debuts due to being over the height limit.

Dwayne Mclain and Joe Binion likewise made their names here before becoming resident imports in other countries.

Wang-Bu
08-21-2007, 10:01 AM
^^^ Sir Ghost, ito din po bang CHRIS KING na naglaro para sa Seattle sa NBA?

salsa caballero
08-21-2007, 10:34 AM
^^^ Snyder and kelly played for CDCP, if memory serves. Also, this was the pair that popularized the "allley-oop" play which was heretofore unheard of in these parts. Again, if memory serves, this pair was actually AUSTRALIAN.

irateluvmachine
08-21-2007, 10:40 AM
^^^ Sir Ghost, ito din po bang CHRIS KING na naglaro para sa Seattle sa NBA?

chris king, best-known as one of ginebra's more reliable imports in the late-'90s, was seattle's 2nd-round draft pick in the 1993 season, but got the most nba exposure as a member of the inaugural vancouver grizzlies team of '95-'96. he scored the grizzlies' first ever basket, and averaged something like 7ppg as the grizzlies' starting SF.

amamangloy
09-12-2007, 11:21 AM
First white import I saw was the 7'1 canadian (?) Jim Zoet.* At that time, he was the tallest import to ever play for the PBA. then also John Kazmer in 1981.

Other memorable imports who graced our shore were Chris King (from Wake Forest ata), Jay Edwards, Steve Hood, Russel Murray, Terrance Bailey, Byron Houston, Lew "Machine Gun" Massey, Kevin Porter, Terry Duerod, Archie Talley, Aaron James, Carlos Terry, Clinton Wheeler, Mike McGee, Jose Slaughter, Stewart Granger, Mitchell Wiggins, Howard Carter, nba ref Leon Wood, Kenny Fields, Dell Demps, Alfrederick Hughes, Bernard Thompson, Derrick Chievous, Jerome Lane, Kenny Battle, Byron Irvin, Earl Tatum, Kelvin Upshaw, Carl Bird, Larry Demic, Cisco Oliver, Cyrus Mann, Ronnie Coleman and the prolific Richard Dumas.

Wild wild Wes Matthews also came to blows with Joey Loyzaga for his comment regarding Joey's then wife Gretchen Barreto.

Vince Askew, Mario Elie, Sedric toney, Pat Durham, Ennis Whatley and Steve Colter were some of the other imports that made it back to the NBA coming from the PBA.

Ledell Eackles, Jarvis Basnight and Willie Glass flew iin but never made their debuts due to being over the height limit.

Dwayne Mclain and Joe Binion likewise made their names here before becoming resident imports in other countries.

boss where nakapaglaro si Richard Dumas sa PBA? What year?

amamangloy
09-12-2007, 11:34 AM
others who went on to play in the NBA:

Earl Barron (RB 2004-05) - Heat 2005-present
Andre Brown (BG 2004-05) - Sonics 2006-07; signed by Memphis this season
Noel Felix (TNT 2004-05) - Sonics 2005-06
Richie Frahm (TNT 2001) - Sonics, Blazers, Rockets
Billy Thomas (Tanduay 2001) - Wizards

irateluvmachine
09-12-2007, 07:36 PM
First white import I saw was the 7'1 canadian (?) Jim Zoet.* At that time, he was the tallest import to ever play for the PBA. then also John Kazmer in 1981.

jarvis basnight played in the PBA in '97 or '98...by then he was using the name jarvis matthews. turned out not to be worth the very long wait, he was a lemon who was sent home after a game or two.

other much-hyped imports who turned out to be lemons include former #3 overall pick dennis hopson, and yet another former 1st-rounder, byron irvin...both played for purefoods in the late '90s.

to echo the previous post...did richard dumas play in the pba? parang di ko maalala...

aircanda
09-13-2007, 12:29 AM
others who went on to play in the NBA:

Earl Barron (RB 2004-05) - Heat 2005-present
Andre Brown (BG 2004-05) - Sonics 2006-07; signed by Memphis this season
Noel Felix (TNT 2004-05) - Sonics 2005-06
Richie Frahm (TNT 2001) - Sonics, Blazers, Rockets
Billy Thomas (Tanduay 2001) - Wizards

pare kasama dito sa Torraye Braggs.. import ng Ginebra noong una clang nagchampion back in 04.. c Art Long dn ata.. ung bad boy na import ng SMB in 04 dn.

bchoter
09-14-2007, 05:20 PM
Add Kevin Gamble to the list. What makes him different is that Jawo sent him packing after a luckluster performance but went on to the NBA and was even among the scoring leaders of his team (Yes, the Celtics were that bad then)

chupot
10-08-2007, 10:33 AM
Celtics were NOT a bad team when Gamble signed up with them in 88-89 season. The Big Three was still playing together, though Larry Bird has been having back troubles then. His best season was still part of the 90 - 91 season when he averaged 15.6 pts, 5.5 rebounds per game. The guy had talent, Jaworski never gave him a chance.

Ghostrider
10-10-2007, 11:13 AM
No doubt Kevin Gamble had talent.

Except it was a bad fit for Ginebra. Kevin Gamble as a complementary player who was great at playing a role. Ginebra needed a Billy Ray Bates type of import who could dominate.

Gamble could play defense, rebound and hit the open shot. He could not create for himself and elevate his game nor the level of play of his teammates.

gameface_one
10-26-2007, 09:45 AM
Ex-PBA import in James Gang
Friday, October 26, 2007
Philstar.com

Former Talk ’N’ Text import Noel Felix is now playing for the Cleveland Cavaliers in the NBA and swore the other day that teammate LeBron James is as good as advertised.

Felix, who just signed a two-year guaranteed contract, was with the James Gang that lost a 100-84 decision to the Orlando Magic at the Venetian Arena in Macau last Saturday.

In the crowd of over 11,000 were PLDT chairman and Phone Pals team owner Manny Pangilinan, Al Panlilio and wife Angela, Atty. Paul Gueco, Abet Dungo, Dr. Raffy Bejar, Ramon Macatangay and Gary Kwong.

“I’d love to go back and play in the PBA,” Felix told The STAR. “I still keep in touch with my Filipino friends. Talk ’N’ Text is a class organization and I appreciate the chance I got to play in the PBA. I stayed only about a month and I wish I could’ve stayed longer but they wanted to bring back Jerald Honeycutt who knows the PBA game well. I knew it was for the good of the team.”

Felix, 26, played three games for the Phone Pals in the 2004-05 season, averaging 21 points with a high of 32. He came in as Earl Ike’s replacement and in his PBA debut, nearly collapsed from the heat, scoring only 11 points in Talk ’N’ Text’s 97-92 out-of-town win over Alaska. Then the Phone Pals lost two in a row, prompting Honeycutt’s recall.

From the PBA, Felix saw action for the US team at the FIBA-Americas World Championship qualifiers in 2005. He went on to suit up for the Seattle SuperSonics, scoring 18 points in 12 games in 2005-06. Before joining the Cavs, Felix played for Maccabi Tel-Aviv in Israel.

“What I remember about Filipino fans is their passion for the game,” said Felix. “It’s the same passion I saw in the Israeli fans.”

The 6-9, 225-pound former Fresno State star averaged 10.6 points for Milwaukee in the Las Vegas pro league last summer and was inked by Cleveland as an insurance player with Brazil’s Anderson Varejao still an unsigned restricted free agent.

Against Orlando, Felix checked in with 6:11 left in the fourth period and the Magic on top, 84-75. He finished the game on the court with four points and a blocked shot. Felix scored four of Cleveland’s last six points. One of his shots was a driving dunk down the baseline.

Felix was unheralded at Fresno State where he hit at a 5.4 clip in four years. He was never drafted but caught the eye of NBA scouts with his athleticism, defensive skills and coachability.

Basketball legend Darryl (Chocolate Thunder) Dawkins was a guest during the NBA festivities in Shanghai and Macau last week. He flew in with other legends Rick Barry and George Gervin.

Dawkins, 50, was mobbed by fans everywhere he went and cheerfully posed for photographs and signed autographs.

“I’ll be in Manila this September with Sam Unera,” said Dawkins, referring to the Filipino sports agent who was the Pennsylvania Valley Dawgs general manager when the backboard-breaking center was the USBL team’s coach.

Dawkins said he was told his friend, Robert Jaworski, has been offered to coach in the PBA.

“I heard about that and I wish the Big J all the best,” said the 6-11 Dawkins. “I’m his biggest fan. Please tell the Big J if he’d like me to sit on the bench with him, I’ll be honored. I’ll be his assistant coach if he wants. As head coach, I tend to bark at my players a lot. But as an assistant, I can see the game from a distance and give suggestions to the coach. Hey, I’d love that role with the Big J.”

Dawkins said he’s sure Jaworski would be a successful coach.

“He’s been a coach before and I know he can do it again,” he continued. “The thing about the Big J is he’s a winner. When I come in September, I hope to be able to meet him. I’d love to do clinics for kids when I’m there, too.”

JonarSabilano
11-20-2007, 10:01 AM
--deleted--

john_paul_manahan
11-20-2007, 09:35 PM
i would believe that everybody was kinda wondering if the tony harris that died in brazil was the tony harris we know. :p

that tony studied in Washington. the hurricane studied in New Orleans.

yokam
11-21-2007, 01:36 PM
The best PBA import for me was Kenny Travis. Of course, I'm a San Miguel Beer fan.

But I think Bobby Parks' 7-time Best Import award speaks a lot about him.

Here are my top 10:

1.) Kenny Travis
2.) Tony Harris
3.) Bobby Parks
4.) Michael Hackett
5.) Norman Black
6.) Devin Davis
7.) Sean Chambers
8.) Lamont Strothers
9.) Ronnie Thompkins
10.) Kenny Redfield

irateluvmachine
01-21-2008, 09:22 PM
in my earlier days as a pba fan, i preferred my imports high-scoring...carlos briggs, tony harris, etc., never mind if many other observers refer to them as "buwaya"/"bwakaw"...times have changed, though, and as you can see in my list, it's the imports who really make their teams/teammates better who top my list...

1. norman black
2. sean chambers
3. bobby parks
4. billy ray bates
5. lamont strothers
6. kenny redfield
7. tony harris
8. michael hackett
9. kenny travis
10. derrick brown

gameface_one
02-14-2008, 09:02 AM
Ex-PBA import a Pacman fan

Thursday, February 14, 2008
Philstar.com

Los Angeles patrol policeman Francois Wise was at the right place and at the right time when Manny Pacquiao walked into the downtown station to report a case of bank fraud last Thursday.

Wise, 49, was writing a report at the front desk and about to sign off from work for the day when he overheard Pacquiao speaking in Pilipino to companions.

“I recognized the language because I played five years in the PBA,” said Wise in a long distance telephone interview yesterday. “I looked up and saw this familiar face. Aren’t you Pacman, I asked. When he nodded, I introduced myself as a former PBA import. Of course, I got his autograph.”

Wise said he’s not involved in Pacquiao’s case.

“I just happened to be there when he came in,” said Wise. “I knock off at about 6 p.m. and Pacman walked in late afternoon. Another police officer attended to his report. My son Junior is a big boxing fan and watches all the fights on TV. I’m a boxing fan myself. I’ve watched Pacman’s fights, too.”

Wise said Pacquiao invited him to watch his fight against Juan Manuel Marquez in Las Vegas on March 15. “I’d love to go if my schedule will allow it,” he said. “Pacman looks like he’s in real good shape. I know Marquez is tough but I think Pacman will knock him out.”

Wise, who played at Long Beach State, saw action for U-Tex, Tanduay, Manila Beer and Hills Brothers in the PBA, averaging 36.7 points in 118 games. He was known as the Magnificent Hulk because of his 6-5, 220-pound body which was like granite with finely chiseled muscle. Wise made his PBA debut in 1981 and ended his tour of duty with Hills Brothers under coach Nat Canson in 1987.

“It’s been 20 years since I left Manila and I’ve always dreamed of coming back,” said Wise who has been a patrol policeman for 18 years. “I’d love to see my former coaches, teammates and friends again. I’ll always remember Bogs Adornado, Fritz Gaston, Atoy Co, Philip Cezar, Lim Eng Beng, Freddie Webb, Andy Jao, Rajan Sadhwani and Vic Sanchez whom I called Crazy Horse.”

Manila is close to Wise’s heart because his oldest daughter Bonita, now a volleyball import in Europe, was born here.

“My wife, also named Bonita, and I came over in 1981 and we were just married,” said Wise. “Our daughter was born at the Makati Medical Center. I’ll never forget that.”

Aside from Bonita, Wise’s other children are Francois Jr., 25, Cameron, 20, and Eric, 18. Junior works as a manager of a car rental company in Los Angeles. Cameron plays junior college basketball while Eric, who stands 6-6, is evaluating at least six scholarship offers after graduating from Martin Luther King High School in Riverside.

Wise said one day when he’s on leave, he’ll drop by the Wild Card Gym to watch Pacquiao work out.

“I’m a big Pacman fan,” said Wise. “He told me he recognized me from when I was playing in the PBA but if that was in 1987, he was only eight or nine years old. He plays basketball, too, so that’s something we’ve got in common.”

Wise shot a single-game high of 74 points in the PBA and never averaged less than 30. His PBA coaches were Glenn McDonald (U-Tex), Webb (Tanduay), Ed Ocampo (Manila Beer) and Canson (Hills Brothers). Among his teammates were Jimmy Noblezada, Tito Varela, Steve Watson, Ed Cordero, Abet Guidaben, Ely Capacio, former Mayor Joey Marquez, J. B. Yango, Talk ‘N’ Text team manager Frankie Lim and Sta. Lucia assistant coach Adonis Tierra.

“I heard about the coming PBA Legends Tour in the US ,” said Wise. “I’m thinking of going to watch some games and meet the guys. But I’m not playing. I haven’t played in over 10 years and my latest involvement with the game has been coaching my sons.”

By the way, the Magnificent Hulk has ballooned to 305 pounds, making him the most recognizable – and probably, the most popular – cop in the L. A. force. – Joaquin Henson

gameface_one
03-09-2008, 04:38 PM
Tigers get teeth with 6-9 banger

By NELSON BELTRAN
The Philippine Star

A 6-foot-9 bruiser who has won a number of championships in the Chinese pro league battling the likes of Yao Ming, Wang Zhi Zhi, Yi Jianliang and Batere Menk is one of the Coca-Cola Tigers’ two imports in the PBA Fiesta Cup opening late this month.

Jason Dixon is flying in Tuesday fresh from another tour of duty with the Guandong Southern Tigers – his team in the Chinese Basketball Association since 1998 or three years after ending his varsity stint with Liberty University.

Former Seton Hall Pirate Donald Copeland was supposed to team up with Dixon but the 5-foot-10 guard couldn’t get his release from his current engagement.

"What I like with the guy is the fact that he’s long been playing and winning championships for his team in China. He won’t last in the Chinese league if he’s a so-so player," said Coca-Cola coach Binky Favis of his import recruit.

At 35, the Aurora, Colorado native also has had tours of duty in Turkey, Israel, Argentina, Sweden and Cyprus.

But it is in China where Dixon has become a permanent basketball fixture. Dixon has won three championships with the Guandong team.

Dixon averaged 13.1 points on .514 shooting plus 8.1 rebounds in 58 games with Liberty University in 1995. He was a transferee from Eastern Wyoming.

The Tigers, however, remain in search of another import as they weren’t able to fly in Copeland, an all-around guard putting in 16.1 points, 4.5 assists, 3.0 rebounds and 1.4 steals a game for Seton Hall in the 2005-06 campaign.

Coca-Cola and Air21 are allowed to field in two imports each in the coming tourney for placing ninth and 10th, respectively, in the Philippine Cup elimination round.

And with Nic Belasco firming up the team’s local lineup, Coca-Cola is tipped this early to be one of the teams figuring prominently in the finals race.

"It’s an opportunity we have to seize. Last conference, we’re lacking in big men. Definitely, our lineup improved on the entry of Nic (Belasco)," said Favis.

"We’ll have an edge playing with two imports. The question is how will everybody sacrifice because it’s given the two imports will play at least 40 minutes each," Favis added.

The Tigers have been in training for three weeks now, one week spent under the tutelage of renowned US coach Kevin Barbosa – the same mentor who handled the Sta. Lucia Realtors’ training in Boston before the start of the Philippine Cup.

MonL
03-09-2008, 05:36 PM
Ex-PBA import a Pacman fan

Thursday, February 14, 2008
Philstar.com

“It’s been 20 years since I left Manila and I’ve always dreamed of coming back,” said Wise who has been a patrol policeman for 18 years. “I’d love to see my former coaches, teammates and friends again. I’ll always remember Bogs Adornado, Fritz Gaston, Atoy Co, Philip Cezar, Lim Eng Beng, Freddie Webb, Andy Jao, Rajan Sadhwani and Vic Sanchez whom I called Crazy Horse.”

By the way, the Magnificent Hulk has ballooned to 305 pounds, making him the most recognizable – and probably, the most popular – cop in the L. A. force. – Joaquin Henson

Vic Sanchez, on the other hand, called Wise the "Impossible Hulk."* *;D :D ;D

canmaker
03-09-2008, 07:59 PM
I think Richard DUMAS played for the Phoenix Suns ...

MonL
03-10-2008, 01:42 AM
I think Richard DUMAS played for the Phoenix Suns ...

He was a brilliant rookie and a late 2nd round draft find but only played a year later, on that Charles Barkley-led Suns team that was beaten by the Bulls in the 1992 NBA Finals, due to a drug-offense suspension imposed by the league. Drug problems ruined his short NBA career.

stonecold316
03-10-2008, 02:40 AM
I'm a big Ginebra import so bias ako. Among the imports na nagustuhan ko were Billy Ray Bates, Micheal Hackett, Joe Ward, Carlos Briggs, Henry James, etc. Lahat ng imports na yan ay scorer.

stonecold316

bchoter
03-10-2008, 03:50 AM
^ Pareng Francis were you bigger than Lew Massey or Francois Wise at saang team ka naging big import?

Biro lang ;)

gameface_one
03-10-2008, 07:53 AM
Giants looking for super import

By WAYLON GALVEZ
mb.com.ph

Purefoods TJ Hotdogs, smarting from its heartbreaking defeat at the hands of Sta. Lucia Realty in the Smart-PBA Philippine Cup Finals, is looking for a super import to boost its chance in the coming PBA Fiesta Cup.

The Giants have actually tried to acquire the services of the now retired Scottie Pippen, but the former Chicago Bull forward was not available.

"But I think he is being considered by the Bulls (as head coach)," Purefoods coach Ryan Gregorio said.

Gregorio disclosed that they have not enlisted any import.

"In the next two days, I am hoping that we can finalize the contract for our import. I’m looking at a 6-foot-10 legit who can help us strengthen our frontline position," he said.

He also mentioned of bolstering his frontline, which for him "proved to be a little shallow especially when one of my big men gets into foul trouble."

A week after their failed bid, Gregorio said he has fully recovered from the nightmare.

The 35-year-old Gregorio lost for the first time in three trips to the finals. He won his first two against Alaska in the 2002 Governors’ Cup and Red Bull in the 2006 Philippine Cup.

Despite the disappointment, Gregorio said he’s proud with his team’s accomplishment.

"I still believe that we had a good conference despite losing the series (one game away from winning the title)," he said.

James Yap, whose one-game suspension triggered a controversy, is currently on vacation in Bangkok, Thailand.

Yap was suspended for one game (Game 5) and was fined R20,000 after PBA commissioner Sonny Barrios upgraded the referees’ calls from Flagrant 1 Foul to Flagrant 2 Foul, which is automatic for suspension.

Yap hit SLR guard Joseph Yeo late in the third game in apparent retaliation after getting fouled hard by the former Green Archer.

"Well, masakit talaga ‘yung nangyari (suspension). But in Game 7, I know binigay ko ‘yung best ko," Yap said in a text message to the Bulletin.

Yap said he learned a lot from the finals.

"Ang natutuhan ko sa series is more patience," Yap added. "I know more better now kasi talagang physical ang laro, gagawin nila (opposing teams) lahat para pikonin ako, para masira laro ko."

The PBA Fiesta Cup, which allows teams to tap reinforcements with unlimited height, is set to open on March 29 in Panabo City in Davao del Norte.

Welcoat Paints and Coca-Cola are allowed to get two imports – one with unlimited height and the other not taller than 6-foot-1 – after finishing at the bottom two of the Philippine Cup.

So far, already with imports are Talk ‘N Text with Aaron McGhee, and Air21 with Steve Tomas.

The Tigers and the Dragons also got one of two imports, 6-foot9 Jason Dison and 6-foot-1 Cory Santee, respectively.

Other teams – defending champion Alaska, Sta. Lucia, Barangay Ginebra, Magnolia Beverage and Red Bull have yet to sign up their reinforcements.

cub
03-10-2008, 10:37 AM
Giants looking for super import

By WAYLON GALVEZ
mb.com.ph

Purefoods TJ Hotdogs, smarting from its heartbreaking defeat at the hands of Sta. Lucia Realty in the Smart-PBA Philippine Cup Finals, is looking for a super import to boost its chance in the coming PBA Fiesta Cup.

Yap said he learned a lot from the finals.

"Ang natutuhan ko sa series is more patience," Yap added. "I know more better now kasi talagang physical ang laro, gagawin nila (opposing teams) lahat para pikonin ako, para masira laro ko."

anu daw? ::)

bigfreeze_bibby
03-10-2008, 02:54 PM
Mabuti pa ang Purefoods, may lusot na sa malabong pagkuha nila kay Scottie Pippen hehehe. How about Red Bull? Mukhang wala nang narinig sa kanila since lumabas yung tsismis with "The Mailman" hehe.

gameface_one
03-11-2008, 07:08 AM
Alaska, SLR enlist import returnees

By NELSON BELTRAN
The Philippine Star

Reigning titlist Alaska Milk and Philippine Cup champion Sta. Lucia Realty have tapped PBA veteran imports as their reinforcements in the Fiesta Cup opening March 29 in Panabo, Davao del Norte.

The Aces have signed up Randy Holcomb while the Realtors have enlisted Wesley Wilson.

The 6-foot-8 Holcomb had a tour of duty with Talk n Text while 6-foot-11 Wilson suited up with Shell in the 2004-05 PBA transition season.

Holcomb, a former Atlanta Hawk, put up 25.5 points, 13.5 rebounds and 3.0 assists in six games while Wilson, a Georgetown U product, piled up 28.6 points, 13.9 rebounds and 2.6 blocks in 10 outings.

The two players were both cut despite decent numbers.

At 6-foot-11, Wilson is the highest among players signed up as imports for the season-ending tourney.

"He’s my personal choice. I still remember him playing for Shell. He can score, rebound and play defense. With the guy, I now have somebody who can clog the middle and solve our problem in rebounding," said Sta. Lucia coach Boyet Fernandez.

Curiously, the Realtors were worst in the league in rebounds in the recent Philippine Cup despite having big men Kelly Williams, Dennis Espino and Marlou Aquino in their lineup. The team averaged only 46 caroms per game.

The rock-solid import steered Shell to a fast start in the 2005 Fiesta Cup with his power plays and ferocious work off the boards only to taper off towards the end, sparking rumors of injuries and contract dispute with management.

"I do remember Wesley averaging almost 30 points and 20 rebounds in his early games with Shell. If he can do that for us, then we’ll have a good chance of winning," said Fernandez.

This early, Fernandez is seeing a big improvement in his rotation.

"I can now slide Kelly (Williams) to the wings. Wesley will play center playing alongside Dennis (Espino) and power forward playing with Marlou (Aquino)," said Fernandez.

Wilson is still playing in the Turkish league at the moment. He’s expected by the Sta. Lucia team here before March 24 when the Realtors start their preparation for the Fiesta Cup.

Wilson has also played for the SK Knights in Korea, the L. A. Defenders in the NBDL and Fujian in China. He never made it to the NBA but played for Charlotte and Cleveland in summer leagues.

Wilson’s agent Ben Pensack described him as "a very athletic big man who runs the court as well as anyone his size, a great shot blocker (who) can also knock down the 15-foot jumpshot with ease."

In his final year in Georgetown – the same school that produced Patrick Ewing, Dikembe Mutombo and Alonzo Mourning, Wilson put in 6.6 points, 4.9 rebounds and 1.8 blocks a game.

Meanwhile, the PBA board, in a meeting Monday, agreed to hold a fund-raising event on Easter Sunday. Dubbed the PBA Blue vs Green, the game will pit PBA players from Ateneo and La Salle in an exhibition match. Proceeds will go to the PBA players’ trust fund.

gameface_one
03-13-2008, 01:15 PM
Ginebra opts for a bruiser

Waylon Galvez
mb.com.ph

Barangay Ginebra will rely on a veteran bruiser once it starts its campaign for the season-ending PBA Fiesta Cup.

The Gin Kings tapped Rahshon Turner, a 6-foot-7 center who starred for the Knights of Fairleigh Dickinson University (FDU) and has played professional ball in several European leagues.
Rahshon Turner

The 32-year-old Turner, according to Ginebra mentor Jong Uichico, is expected to arrive Thursday night.

"He is an experienced player, he has played for several European teams," Uichico, who is hoping to win his second title with Barangay Ginebra on his second season, yesterday said.

The Fiesta Cup is set to open Mar. 29 in Panabo City, Davao del Norte.

Last year, Turner, a 200-pound native of Passaic, New Jersey, played for Gravelines in France.

He is a regular in the French All-Star Games.

Turner played for FDU from 1994 to 1998 and led the team to the Northeast Conference (NEC) tournament title and a berth in the US NCAA Tournament in his senior season.

He also played pro in Holland, France, Spain and France in 2005.

During the 2005-06 Season, Turner was named the top forward in the Euro league by after averaging 15.4 points and 7.8 rebounds.

Turner returned to the US late last year and has played in several tournaments.

His addition will boost Ginebra’s frontline that includes former MVP Eric Menk, Rafi Reavis, Billy Mamaril and Victor Pablo.

In last season’s Fiesta Cup, the Kings lost to eventual champion Alaska Aces in the semifinals with import Rod Nealy.

Meantime, Purefoods TJ Hotdogs, runner up in the previous Philippine Cup, has tapped a scoring-machine in Darius Rice, nephew of NFL great Jerry Rice of the San Francisco 49ers.

The former stalwart of the Miami Hurricanes had a brief stint in the NBA. He played for the Cleveland Cavaliers in the 2007 pre-season.

However, he was waived before the season started.

In the NBA Development League (NBDL) Finals last season, Rice scored a league record of 52 points highlighted by 11 three-pointers in a 129-121 overtime win by the Dakota Wizards against the Colorado 14ers.

The 25-year-old Rice is currently playing in Puerto Rico.

Purefoods youthful mentor Ryan Gregorio expects Rice to be here before Mar. 21.

"With his tremendous touch from the outside, other teams would think twice about zoning us," Gregorio said. "With another scorer, I can now share the scoring cudgels among three prolific players (James Yap, Kerby Raymundo and Rice)."

"If he is as good as advertised, he is expected to shoot the lights out with his shooting prowess," he added.

On the other hand, Coca-Cola got Bobby Burries, a former stalwart of Cal State University in San Bernardino, as its second import for the Fiesta Cup after acquiring Jason Dixon over the weekend. Burries, who arrived yesterday, is a 6-foot1 guard.

He last played in Mexico, according to the Tigers mentor Binky Favis.

The Tigers and the Welcoat Dragons are allowed to get two imports — one with unlimited height and the other not taller than 6-foot-1 — after finishing at the bottom two of the Philippine Cup eliminations.

Welcoat has yet to name its second import after acquiring Cory Santee.

The other eight teams are only allowed to have one import with unlimited height.

So far, already with imports are defending champion Alaska (Randy Holcomb, Philippine Cup titlist Sta. Lucia Realty (Wesley Wilson), Talk ’N Text (Aaron McGhee) and Air21 (Steve Tomas).

gameface_one
03-14-2008, 11:48 AM
Welcoat imports solid guard, frontliner
By Nelson Beltran
Friday, March 14, 2008
Philstar.com

Welcoat has decided to get former San Diego stalwart Jason Beau Keep to partner with Texas Christian U’s Cory Santee as the team’s imports in the coming PBA Fiesta Cup.

The team coaching staff chose Keep over Georgia State’s Sylvester Morgan after a thorough analysis of their credentials.

Keep and Santee arrive in the country this weekend.

Magnolia, Purefoods and Red Bull are the three remaining teams still negotiating with their prospective imports two weeks before the opening of the season-ending tourney.

Other imports already signed up are Bobby Burries and Jason Dixon of Coca-Cola, Wesley Wilson of Sta. Lucia, Rahshon Turner of Ginebra, Randy Holcomb of Alaska, Aaron McGhee of Talk n Text and Steve Thomas of Air21. Welcoat coach Leo Austria believes they’ve got a solid all-around guard in Santee and a rock-solid frontliner in Keep as they look forward to making a worthy showing in the Fiesta Cup.

With two imports, Austria expects his team to do well in the reinforced tourney opening March 29 with a road game in Panabo, Davao del Norte pitting Talk n Text and Coca-Cola.

Santee is a 6-foot-1 guard who played college ball for the Texas Christian University and had a stint with the Fort Worth team in the 2006-07 NBDL campaign, putting in 12.2 points, 1.5 assists and 1.0 steal a game.

Keep, on the other hand, played the final season of his collegiate career at San Diego after a one-year stay at North Idaho College in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho and a two-year stint with Oklahoma State. He averaged 18.0 points and 9.1 rebounds with the San Diego Toreros.

The Bend, Oregon native was runner-up to Gonzaga’s Blake Stepp for the 2003 West Coast Conference Player of the Year. He earned all-tournament honors at the 2003 Portsmouth Invitational Tournament after averaging 16.3 points on 64.3 shooting percentage (third best in the tourney).

gameface_one
03-16-2008, 08:26 AM
Magnolia gets Red Bull import
By Nelson Beltran
Sunday, March 16, 2008
Philstar.com

Magnolia beat Red Bull in their virtual tug-o-war for the services of Jameel Watkins while Purefoods was finally able to convince Darius Lashaun Rice to play for the team in the coming PBA Fiesta Cup.

The Beverage Masters and the Giants struck deals with Watkins and Rice yesterday leaving the Barakos as the only team still without an import two weeks before the opening of the reinforced tourney.

“I knew Red Bull was also interested in Watkins but his agent committed the player to us as early as a month ago,” said Magnolia coach Siot Tanquingcen.

“It took Watkins awhile to sign up since his wife was pregnant. She gave birth only last Friday,” Tanquingcen added.

Watkins, a former NBA player who suited up with the Shell Turbochargers in 2005, was among Red Bull’s import prospects.

The 6-foot-8 Watkins was fresh from the Chinese league where he teamed up with former Ginebra import Chris Porter with the Fujian team. He has also played in Korea the last three years, winning one championship with the Dongbu ball club.

The Georgetown U product had 27.3 points, 51.2 percent shooting, 18.0 rebs, 3.9 assists and 2.8 blocks a game for Shell.

Purefoods, meanwhile, was finally able to convince Rice to play in the local pro league after completing his current tour of duty in Puerto Rico.

The 6-foot-10 Rice, 25, was a highly scouted NBA prospect while playing with the Miami Hurricanes from 2000 to 2004.

He made the All-Big East Second Team and First Team All-District 6 by the NABC in his sophomore, junior, and senior seasons and finished his collegiate career as the fourth all-time leading scorer in school history with 1,865 points. He was the only player in school history to lead the team in scoring in four consecutive seasons.

He also ranked first in games started (113), 10th in games played (116), third in minutes (3,727), sixth in field goals (631), second in three-point field goals (260), and fifth in 20-point games (35).

A nephew of NFL receiver Jerry Rice, Darius led the Dakota Wizards to the NBDL championship in the 2006-07 season, firing 52 points in the final game.

gameface_one
03-17-2008, 09:51 PM
Red Bull enlists tall Mexican 5 mainstay
By Nelson Beltran
Monday, March 17, 2008
Philstar.com

Losing Jameel Watkins to Magnolia may turn out to be a blessing in disguise for Red Bull as the Photokina Marketing franchise instead got a taller and probably more talented import in Adam Parada.

Parada, among the last cut in the Los Angeles Lakers lineup for the 2005 NBA season, is expected to arrive here tomorrow.

A legitimate seven-footer, the 26-year-old California-Irvine product, who’s a mainstay of the Mexican national team, will be the tallest among all the imports set to see action in the PBA Fiesta Cup firing off March 29 in Panabo, Davao del Norte.

Red Bull coach Yeng Guiao expressed interest on Watkins, a former Shell import, but was beaten to the draw by Magnolia.

The cast of imports in the coming reinforced tourney is now complete with Red Bull enlisting Parada.

Bobby Burries and Jason Dixon will play Coca-Cola, Cory Santee and Jason Keep for Welcoat, Rahshon Turner for Ginebra, Wesley Wilson for Sta. Lucia, Randy Holcomb for Alaska, Aaron McGhee for Talk n Text, Darius Rice for Purefoods and Steve Thomas for Air21.

Parada, who weighs 265 pounds, played with the Sacramento Kings in the most recent NBA summer league, averaging two points and three assists a game.

He’s long been a member of the Mexican national team, making an impact for the team in the last Tournament of the Americas.

Three years ago, Red Bull also unveiled a legitimate seven-foot import in Earl Baron who later made the NBA, playing for the Miami champion team bannered by Dwyane Wade and Shaquille O’Neal.

Red Bull has proved to have a good eye for import talent, recruiting Tony Lang and James Penny who powered the team to championships.

The Bulls have always been a contender in reinforced tourneys.

gameface_one
03-18-2008, 08:09 AM
Red Bull picks 7-ft Mexican as PBA import

By WAYLON GALVEZ
mb.com.ph

Red Bull has completed its negotiation with a 7-foot import in Adam Parada and expects the former Mexican national team member to arrive today for the 2008 PBA Fiesta Cup.

Parada, a 265 lbs center who had several NBA pre-season experiences, played a key role for Zain’s campaign in Jordan.

"He’ll be a big help for us with his size and his experience," said Tony Chua, the Bulls representative and PBA Board chairman. "He’s not the explosive type of a player but he can get the job done."

Chua, whose first priority was to get former NBA great Karl Malone for the season-ending conference set March 29, said that the 27-year-old Parada will improve the Bulls’ frontline.

In the Fiesta Cup last season, Red Bull, reinforced by James Penny, made it to the semifinals but lost to Talk ‘N Text in the semis. Red Bull beat San Miguel Beer (now Magnolia Beverage) in the one-game battle for third place.

With Parada, a one-time stalwart of the UC-Irvine Anteaters, Chua expressed optimism of their chance to make it to the Finals, particularly now that Rich Alvarez is ready to play after missing the last conference due to an injury.

According to Chua, if his team’s performance in the previous Philippine Cup would be used as a basis, then they have good chances of achieving their goal which is to play in the finals again.

Despite a depleted line-up, the team managed to make to the Final Four, a feat that earned the team plaudits from their rival teams.

"It’s going to be tough, we know that. But as long as the players play under the system of coach Yeng Guiao, we have a good shot," he said.

Red Bull forced a sudden-death Game 7 in the semis but its effort fell short against Purefoods.

Still, Guiao saw something good in that defeat, not to mention the arrival of Parada and the return of Alvarez.

"Looking at the bright side (after Philippine Cup), a lot of my players had really blossomed. Guys like Mike (Hrabak), Kiko (Adriano) and Leo Najorda. Rich will play in the next conference," he said.

"With all the positive things that had happened to the team, we’re excited to play in the next conference," he said.

Alvarez, a former standout from Ateneo, missed the all-Filipino conference due to ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) injury. He started practicing late last month and he was chosen to play in a PBA-sanctioned Ateneo-La Salle game on Sunday.

gameface_one
03-26-2008, 11:06 AM
Experts say Purefoods import the real deal
By Nelson Beltran
Wednesday, March 26, 2008
Philstar.com

Experts in the business are pointing to Purefoods’ Darius Rice as the import to watch in the PBA Fiesta Cup opening Saturday in Panabo, Davao del Norte.

American conditioning coaches Kevin Barbosa and Kirk Collier are among those considering Rice the best in the start list of imports that includes three returnees in Wesley Wilson of Sta. Lucia Realty, Randy Holcomb of Alaska Milk and Jameel Watkins of Magnolia.

“Coach Kevin (Barbosa) couldn’t believe Darius Rice is coming. He said Darius is the real deal. He’s a legit NBA material,” said Purefoods coach Ryan Gregorio on Barbosa’s comment on their import acquisition.

Gregorio said Collier said practically the same thing.

Gregorio was keeping his fingers crossed Rice shall have boarded his Northwest flight to Manila last night. Rice is expected to join the Giants in practice starting Thursday.

“He’s really a legit NBA material but we’re taking a lot of risk in signing him. Our contract has a clause that he’ll leave us if he gets a call from the NBA,” said Gregorio.

“We’re the only team without an import yet. We’ve been waiting for long. Hopefully, it’s worth the wait,” Gregorio added.

Rice, nephew of NFL future Hall of Famer wide receiver Jerry Rice, took some time to get his release papers from the Puerto Rican league where he’s the leading scorer and rebounder of his team.

“Before going to Puerto Rico, he was in China playing two games, scoring 53 and 58 points. A lot are after his services,” said Gregorio.

Rice was a McDonald’s All-American in his senior year in high school. Like LeBron James, Kobe Bryant and others, Rice, already 6-foot-10 then, was already an NBA prospect after high school but he opted to study and play college ball with the Miami Hurricanes.

Rice played four seasons at Miami (2000-04), averaging 16.1 points, 5.7 rebounds, 1.2 assists and 1.1 steals over the course of 116 games, 113 of them as a starter.

He’s fourth among Miami’s all-time leaders in scoring (1,865 points) and second in three-point field goals at 260.

He wasn’t drafted in the NBA but was the last cut in the Miami Heat roster for the 2005 campaign and in the Cleveland Cavaliers lineup this season.

Only at 25, his prospect of making it to the NBA, however, is big.

The other imports are Bobby Burries and Jason Dixon of Coca-Cola, Cory Santee and Jason Keep of Welcoat, Rahshon Turner of Ginebra, Aaron McGhee of Talk n Text, Adam Parada of Red Bull and Steve Thomas for Air21.

All are in except Rice with Wilson arriving Saturday and joining the Realtors in two practice sessions so far.

“He’s in a good condition. Pinagsususupalpal si Marlou (Aquino) at Dennis (Espino). I think we could go places with him,” said coach Boyet Fernandez whose team is in contention for a double championship in the season.

gameface_one
03-30-2008, 09:06 AM
Wheeling and dealing
Sunday, March 30, 2008
mb.com.ph

In the PBA just like in the NBA, players move in and out of lineups like cards being shuffled until the dealer hits paydirt. It’s a dynamic process where coaches try to make the pieces fit, to find the right combinations that click.

Stagnancy is a coach’s worst enemy. It breeds complacency and belies a lack of motivation to excel. If a team can’t win consistently, then something’s wrong and if something’s wrong, you find the problem and fix it or else you’re stuck in the mud.

In the NBA this season, several teams made dramatic lineup changes to get ready for the playoffs.

Here are some examples: San Antonio picked up Kurt Thomas and Damon Stoudemire and got back Brent Barry who had previously been traded to Seattle. Phoenix acquired Shaquille O’Neal and Gordan Giricek. The Los Angeles Lakers shored up their frontline with Pau Gasol, DJ Mbenga and Ira Newble. Boston added veterans Sam Cassell and P. J. Brown to go with pre-season recruits Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen, Eddie House and James Posey. Cleveland traded for Ben Wallace, Joe Smith, Wally Szczerbiak and Delonte West to back up LeBron James. New Orleans added Bonzi Wells and Mike James to the Hornets cast. Detroit brought in Theo Ratliff and Juan Dixon. Dallas moved in Jason Kidd, Jamaal Magloire and Tyronn Lue. Houston added Bobby Jackson. Atlanta went for Mike Bibby.

When it comes to figuring out what’s the best mix for a winning combination, nobody’s a sacred cow because in the last analysis, the bottom line is the only thing that matters. Think Allen Iverson who once said he’ll play only for Philadelphia in his entire NBA career. Now, he’s with the Denver Nuggets.

In the PBA, there were several earth-shaking trades leading to the opening of the Fiesta Conference yesterday.

Coca-Cola beefed up by acquiring Nic Belasco and Mark Macapagal. Magnolia took in Mike Cortez, Ken Bono, Chester Tolomia and Marc Pingris. Barangay Ginebra welcomed Willy Wilson and Chris Pacana to the fold. Purefoods obtained Enrico Villanueva. Alaska went for L. A. Tenorio and Larry Fonacier. Welcoat picked up Mark Isip. Talk ’N’ Text got Jec Chia and Gilbert Lao.

On paper, the Tigers seem to be the team to beat in the conference, what with a local lineup composed of Asi Taulava, Mark Telan, John Arigo, Kenneth Duremdes, Alex Cabagnot, Ronjay Buenafe, Belasco and Macapagal and the privilege of playing two imports. For finishing in the tailend of the double round eliminations last conference, Welcoat and Coca-Cola are allowed to play two imports at a time.

In a conference where imports play a dominant role, it’s extremely difficult to pick a favorite. You’ll never know if you’ve got the right import until the ball’s in play. And sometimes, keeping the right import in the groove is the bigger challenge.

Of the 12 imports in town, only three are returnees – Alaska’s Randy Holcomb (Talk ’N’ Text 2004), Magnolia’s Jameel Watkins (Shell, 2004-05) and Sta. Lucia Realty’s Wesley Wilson (Shell 2005). Holcomb is the only NBA veteran among the gunslingers – he inked a 10-day contract with the Chicago Bulls in 2005-06 and played four games.

The tallest import is Red Bull’s seven-foot Adam Parada, a former Mexican national cager with stints in Korea and Jordan. Wilson and Wesley are both 6-11 from Georgetown, known for producing top-notch centers like Alonzo Mourning, Dikembe Mutombo and Pat Ewing.

The import to watch is Purefoods’ 6-10 Darius Rice, only the second player in Miami history to lead the varsity in scoring four straight seasons. In the last NBA summer league, he averaged 10.6 points for Cleveland. Rice was impressive in scoring 19 on 7-of-13 from the floor against San Antonio and 21 on 8-of-11 against Phoenix. Rice, 25, is a veteran of the Puerto Rico, Venezuela and Chinese leagues.

Another blue-chipper is Air21’s Steve Thomas who led the CBA in rebounding (11.4) and field goal percentage (.625) this season. The 6-8, 235-pound bruiser is fresh from playing for Atlanta and East Kentucky in the CBA.

Ginebra’s import Rahshon Turner, 33, is a well-traveled import who has seen action in the Netherlands, Spain and France. He averaged 17.9 points and 10.6 rebounds as a senior at Farleigh-Dickinson, a school in New Jersey, in 1997-98. Turner stands 6-6 so he’ll be at a height disadvantage going up against much taller imports.

The oldest import is Coca-Cola’s Jason Dixon who’s turning 35 on April 4. The 6-9 journeyman has played in Turkey, Israel, China, Qatar, Cyprus, Venezuela, Sweden and Argentina so adjusting to the PBA shouldn’t be difficult. He’s teaming up with six-foot Calvin Cage who flew in as a late replacement for Bobby Burries who measured above the 6-1 limit as a second import. Cage, the youngest import at 23, is a three-point bomber who hit 41 percent from triple range as a senior at Buffalo in 2005-06. He has played in Cyrus, Saudi Arabia, Iran and Lebanon.

The only other import tandem is Welcoat’s 6-10 Jason Keep and 6-1 Corey Santee. Keep, 30, has played in Cyprus, Mexico, Chile, Puerto Rico, Argentina, Poland, Turkey, Italy and Egypt. Santee, 24, averaged in double figures in four years at Texas Christian University and has played in Latvia, Germany, Hungary and Cyprus.

Finally, there is Talk ’N’ Text’s 6-8 Aaron McGhee of Oklahoma. McGhee, 28, is a scorching scorer who averaged 26.5 points at Vincennes Junior College, the same school that produced Bob McAdoo. He has played in Italy, Spain, Korea, Puerto Rico and China.

Alaska is the defending Fiesta Conference champion. Coach Tim Cone personally fetched the 6-9, 235-pound Holcomb at the airport when he arrived two weeks ago. Holcomb, 28, is out to settle some unfinished business because in 2004, he was replaced by Jerald Honeycutt after averaging 25.5 points in six games to start the conference with Talk ’N’ Text. Now, he’s back with solid experience from the NBA, Venezuela, Spain, Puerto Rico and Japan since leaving here four years ago.

joelex
03-30-2008, 05:57 PM
Jason Beau Please Do Not Keep

nastrans
03-30-2008, 11:13 PM
Adam Parada with monster numbers of 28 points, 20 rebounds and five blocks, good find by Red Bull although it would be interesting how he will match up against Jameel Watkins, Wesley Wilson and the Air21 import.

coreytaylor
03-31-2008, 12:02 PM
wow! i think jason keep is the most impressive import i've ever seen! nakakatakot...ang kanyang dazzling moves! :o

The_Big_Cat
03-31-2008, 01:06 PM
Adam Parada, the "big fundamental" among PBA imports. Simple, not athletic but very effective import for Yeng Guiao.

erichubert
03-31-2008, 03:18 PM
Parada really looks solid, he is the kind of player we should naturalize for the national team. Fundamentally good, doesn't need the ball to be effective and from the looks of it, has a positive attitude. He kind of looks like Mike Hrabak, I think he can pass off as a Filipino ;D

Jason Keep won't be kept, expect him to be replaced in the next few days. Turner of Ginebra was also mediocre, he is too small, I think they should get a taller import, if not they would have problems with Wilson, Watkins and McGee.

Schortsanitis
03-31-2008, 05:36 PM
Adam Parada is the Philippine's dream Center: 7'0", can dominate both ends of the floor, whether offensively or defensively.

He blocks shots (6 blocks), grabs rebounds (21 rebounds), scores a lot (28 pts.). The most important stat for me, is his Field Goal percentages, which I estimate would've been AT LEAST 60% in this game (at least 3 of every 5 shots go in).

Not very quick, but decent leaper, & terrific coordination & timing. Very fast, too, in short bursts, great for those trailing plays in fastbreak situations.

gameface_one
04-01-2008, 09:08 AM
Two PBA imports on way out

Welcoat finds Keep mediocre; Coke’s Cage injured

By June Navarro
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 01:23:00 04/01/2008

MANILA, Philippines—Two Philippine Basketball Association imports are headed home after failing to keep up with the expectations of their respective teams.

Jason Keep’s mediocre opening stint with the Welcoat Dragons and an injured Calvin Cage of Coca-Cola have prompted team officials to consider hiring replacements capable of doing the task.

A Welcoat official confirmed the Dragons are now scouting a substitute for the 6-foot-10 Keep, who debuted with 12 points and 15 rebounds built on a lackluster 5-of-13 shooting during the team’s 105-95 setback to the Air21 Express on Sunday.

“When he (Keep) came here on his first practice with the team, we already knew the need to change an import,” said the Welcoat team official who requested anonymity. “There’s just not enough time to make the replacement.”

The same source said the Dragons are hoping to seal a deal with a new import to complement 6-foot-1 Corey Santee in time for Welcoat’s game against Talk ‘N Text on Friday. Santee scored 19 points and had nine assists and two steals for the Dragons.

On Coca-Cola’s side, team manager JB Baylon is contemplating securing the services of another import following a freak accident that put the 6-foot Cage on the injury list.

Cage fractured his right ankle as a result of a flagrant foul inflicted by Talk ‘N Text rookie Yousif Aljamal during the Tigers’ 87-79 win over the Phone Pals in Panabo City over the weekend. Cage and co-import 6-foot-9 Jason Dixon showed up with 19 points for the Tigers.

“We’ll be able to determine the extent of the damage on the succeeding tests,” said Baylon. “But initial findings show a fracture on his ankle that would take a month to heal.”

While Cage and Keep are in danger of losing their jobs, Talk ‘N Text import Aaron McGhee, Steve Thomas of Air21 and Red Bull’s Adam Parada have impressed their ballclubs in the conference-openers of the 2008 Smart-PBA Fiesta Cup.

So far, Parada has been the prize-catch from among the present crop of imports after firing 28 points on top of 21 rebounds, five blocks, two assists and a steal during Red Bull’s win over Barangay Ginebra on Sunday.

Thomas produced solid numbers for the Express after scoring 23 points and plucking down 15 rebounds while the 6-foot-8 McGhee posted 24 points, 15 rebounds and six assists despite a lethargic performance by the local crew.

Barangay Ginebra’s Rashon Turner had a forgettable debut after going 5-of-14 from the field to finish with 12 points. Ginebra team officials, however, have kept their lips sealed on the possibility of replacing the 6-foot-7 Turner.

Four more teams will make their debut on Wednesday and they’re hoping to get solid performances from their respective imports.

The Alaska Aces tabbed Randy Holcomb, the Sta. Lucia Realtors partnered with Wesley Wilson and Magnolia Beverage hooked up with Jameel Watkins. While Purefoods hired Darius Rice.

gameface_one
04-02-2008, 08:36 AM
Purefoods import struts wares versus Magnolia

Wednesday, April 2, 2008
philstar.com

Darius Rice, the 6-foot-10 former University of Miami standout tipped to be the yardstick among imports, finally makes his debut with Purefoods Tender Juicy against Magnolia in the 2007-08 Smart PBA Fiesta Cup at the Araneta Coliseum today.

Reigning champion Alaska Milk and Philippine Cup titlist Sta. Lucia Realty clash in the other game both unveiling returning import like Magnolia.

Rice will be up against former Shell reinforcement Jameel Watkins while another ex-Shell import Wesley Wilson takes on former Talk n Text recruit Randy Holcomb.

Wilson, a 6-foot-11 behemoth out of Georgetown U, will strut his stuff with the Realtors chasing a double-championship in the season. He averaged 28.6 points and 13.9 rebounds in 10 games with Shell in the 2005 Fiesta Cup.

Holcomb, who is two inches shorter, played for Talk n Text in 2004, averaging 25.5 points, 13.5 rebounds and 3.0 assists in six games.

The Giants went a game short of winning the All-Filipino crown but are excited with the prospect of going all the way to win the Fiesta Cup with Rice on their side.

“He’s very impressive. We’re happy with what we’ve seen although we know the ultimate test is playing actual game,” said Gregorio.

marmand
04-02-2008, 09:44 PM
An explosive debut by Rice. 56 pts. in a win vs. Magnolia.

joelex
04-02-2008, 10:39 PM
but the guy is unusually slow and unexplosive off the dribble for a wing import. relies solely on shooting and takes the right side exclusively. liability on defense too. good shooter but once scouted, i doubt if he can top the 56 he got tonight.

erichubert
04-02-2008, 11:54 PM
I think he would adapt eventually, I wouldn't bet on him not repeating his output tonight, even in the NBDL, he could score that many points. The challenge for him is to learn to trust his teammates so that they would not rely on him too much. Still, he is in my opinion the best and most exciting import this conference.

Dark Knight
04-03-2008, 12:13 AM
I'll still go for that Air 21 import to win the Best Import award.

And talk about being lucky. A 3 on 1 fastbreak by Purefoods and Rice attempts (succesfully) a 3 point shot. Those are the things that will make coaches whiten their hair. Had it not gone in............... ;D

joelex
04-03-2008, 12:45 AM
I think he would adapt eventually, I wouldn't bet on him not repeating his output tonight, even in the NBDL, he could score that many points. The challenge for him is to learn to trust his teammates so that they would not rely on him too much. Still, he is in my opinion the best and most exciting import this conference.

of course he is the best, in an era where the strothers or the redfields or the chambers' of the world are nowhere to be found. what the pba has are tall and physical international discards, i.e., watkins, wilson, turner, parada, dixon, (halos lahat ah)role playing but extremely boring. if every team have imports who excite the crowd like how Rice did earlier tonight, the coliseum would be packed every game day.

tigerman
04-03-2008, 10:50 AM
While Rice may be exciting to the fans, I just hope he will eventually learn to pass the ball to his teammates and not only to the ring.

Ang bakaw eh.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

The_Big_Cat
04-03-2008, 11:03 AM
Sensational debut for Purefoods.

Perhaps the quickest and most versatile frontline in this Fiesta Conference with the trio of Villanueva, Raymundo and Darius Rice.

stat
04-03-2008, 11:20 AM
Sensational debut for Purefoods.

Perhaps the quickest and most versatile frontline in this Fiesta Conference with the trio of Villanueva, Raymundo and Darius Rice.

super import!

erichubert
04-03-2008, 01:38 PM
He will be the player that could help you or hurt you depending on whether his shots fall or not. The intriguing part would be when he starts to miss a lot, then we would see whether he would learn to play decoy and pass the ball or continue to throw bombs and ill-advised shots.

Honestly, this conference' imports are good, not flashy but good. That is what you get when there is no height ceiling anymore, teams would definitely go for the 7'0 centers that could be their tower in the paint.

gameface_one
04-04-2008, 08:52 AM
Parada’s 7-foot frame towers over Express

By WAYLON GALVEZ
mb.com.ph

At seven feet, Red Bull import Adam Parada is a ‘nightmare’ down low at the post against opposing teams.

But even with the height advantage, Air21 coach Bo Perasol believes they can compete against Parada and Red Bull when the two teams dispute the early lead in the Smart-PBA Fiesta Cup today at the Araneta Coliseum.

Fresh from impressive wins in last weekends opening games, the Express and the Bulls clash at 7:20 p.m. after the 4:50 p.m. first game between opening day losers Welcoat Paints and Talk ’N Text.

Last Sunday, Air21 downed Welcoat, 105-96, despite suiting up only eight players as Ranidel De Ocampo led a balanced attack with 25 points while import Steven Thomas had a double-double 23 points and 15 rebounds.

While the Express defeated a team that has the concession of using two imports, Thomas was able to dominate at the post the ineffective import of the Dragons, Jason Keep.

But it’s going to be a lot tougher for the 6-foot-8 Thomas and the local big men of Air21 facing Parada.

"We will have our hands full in defending him (Parada)," Perasol said.

However, Perasol believes that by playing tough defense, they can beat the Bulls, saying: "We have to be disciplined in executing our game plan against them particularly on the defensive end."

The four players who missed the previous game due to various injuries — Gabby Espinas (lateral meniscus tear), Ervin Sotto (patella femoral syndrome), Homer Se (flu) and JC Intal (skin allergy) — may play today.

Gary David was used sparingly against Welcoat after coming back from an ACL injury last conference.

Parada, the former stalwart from University of California-Irvine, debuted in style as he scored 28 points and grabbed 21 rebounds in an 89-93 win over Barangay Ginebra also last Sunday.

And Red Bull mentor Yeng Guiao was impressed with his performance.

"We did not expect to get such a good game from Adam," Guiao said. "He’s an effective big man, he makes good decision. He works hard inside. Rebounding has been our weakest stat."

Aside from Parada, Guiao will also rely on locals Cyrus Baguio, Rich Alvarez, Mick Pennisi, Mike Hrabak, Celino Cruz and Leo Najorda.

It remains uncertain if Red Bull veteran forward Junthy Valenzuela will play after he was benched by Guiao because of the reported trade talks with Ginebra. The Bulls management has remained silent on the issue.

Equally exciting is the game between Welcoat and TNT, two teams eager to bounce back from a setback.

The Dragons were beaten by the Express while the Phone Pals suffered an 87-79 beating from the Coca-Cola Tigers last Saturday in Panabo City.

Welcoat management was not impressed with the way Keep performed, reason why they are lreplacing him with Marquise Gainous, who will arrive this weekend.

"We have to keep Keep for another game," said Welcoat Paints interim coach Caloy Garcia.

Against Air21, Keep struggled with from the field shooting 5-of-13 for 12 points, while Welcoat’s other import Cory Santee made 7-of-15 shots to finish with 19 points with five turnovers.

Garcia hopes that Keep and Santee have adjusted to the system and will have better performance together with locals Joe de Vance, Jay-Arr Reyes, Rob Wainwright and Joey Mente.

The Pals’ import, 6-foot-8 Aaron McGhee did well in his first game with 24 points, shooting 12-of-25 from the field. He added 15 rebounds and six assists.

Coach Chot Reyes, who replaced Derek Pumaren during the mid-season break, will lean on mainstays Red-Ren Ritualo, Jimmy Alapag, Marc Cardona, Jay Washington and Harvey Carey to back-up their import.

The_Big_Cat
04-04-2008, 11:30 AM
Air21 vs Red Bull. I like Air21 over Red Bull. Air21 has the more deeper bench and has the athletic players to play double-teaming defense on Adam Parada allo game long. It will be a run and gun game because these are two highest scoring teams in the PBA right now.

gameface_one
04-09-2008, 07:47 AM
Tigers eye ‘Iceman’ son, battle Dragons

The Philippine Star

A player with a renowned lineage could well become Coca-Cola’s replacement for the injured Calvin Cage.

Gee Gervin, son of NBA Hall of Famer George "The Iceman," is actually one of two players being looked at by the Tigers to take over from Cage.

The team had yet to make an official announcement at press time but PBA endorsement for Gervin’s immigration paper processing has been prepared.

The Tigers and the Welcoat Dragons, two teams allowed to field two imports, clash in the Smart PBA Fiesta Conference at the Araneta Coliseum Wednesday.

While the Tigers seek a third straight win, the Dragons look to snap a two-game losing run, coming out with a new big import in 6-foot-9 Maquis Ganious replacing Jason Keep.

Purefoods and Air21, which both split their first two games in the tourney, play in the other game at 7:20 p.m.

Gervin has yet to show his real form although his past achievements tend to show he’s a reliable player.

He’s an all-conference USA member in the 1998-99 and 1999-00 seasons while playing with University of Houston under coach Clyde Drexler.

Picked No. 3 overall by the Detroit Dogs in the ABA rookie draft in 2000, he went on to lead the team to the 2000-01 championships, emerging as season and playoffs co-MVP.

"His fundamentals are better than mine ever were. His knowledge of the game is greater than mine at his age. What he lacks in size, he makes up with his quickness, ability to run an offense and make good things happen on the court," said his father George on Gee’s website.

"A true leader on and off the court. Gee is the best player that I have ever coached. He’s one of the best players in the history of Conference USA and is a definite NBA prospect," said Drexler on the same web site.

Gee was drafted in the ABA draft in 2000 ahead of former PBA imports Ryan Fletcher, Chris Porter, Harold Arceneaux, Ron Hale, Richie Frahm, Gaylon Young and Nate Johnson. Picked ahead of him was Eddie House at No. 1 and current Magnolia import Jameel Watkins at No. 2..

Meanwhile, Ganious is a former star player of Texas Christian University, the same school attended by Welcoat partner Corey Santee.
Nelson Beltran

stonecold316
04-09-2008, 01:14 PM
Sana palitan na ng Ginebra ang import nila kasi right now what the Gin Kings need is a big time scorer or possibly a great defender and rebounder. Nung laban nila against Alaska last Sunday, kitang-kita ang kahinaan ng import. Most of the time nag All-Filipino ang Ginebra dahil di effective import nila. Kapag natalo pa sila ng isang beses, isama na si Jong Uichico sa palitan.

stonecold316

The_Big_Cat
04-09-2008, 02:46 PM
Sana palitan na ng Ginebra ang import nila kasi right now what the Gin Kings need is a big time scorer or possibly a great defender and rebounder. Nung laban nila against Alaska last Sunday, kitang-kita ang kahinaan ng import. Most of the time nag All-Filipino ang Ginebra dahil di effective import nila. Kapag natalo pa sila ng isang beses, isama na si Jong Uichico sa palitan.

stonecold316

Si Art Dela Cruz or Allan Caidic na lang since mas bata sila kay Jong Uichico.
:D :D

coreytaylor
04-10-2008, 01:07 PM
I heard Ginebra acquired a new import coming from a fresh stint in the euroleage.

Name:Tunji Femi Awojobi
Position: Center
Height: 200cm
Born: 30.07.1973.

Dark Knight
04-10-2008, 01:51 PM
Nagta TANTRUMS pala si Darius Rice. ;D

The_Big_Cat
04-10-2008, 01:56 PM
Nagta TANTRUMS pala si Darius Rice. ;D

His entitled to one. He scored 56 pts in his first game.

Huwag lang sana sosobra. ;D

erichubert
04-10-2008, 01:57 PM
Nagta TANTRUMS pala si Darius Rice.* ;D

His entitled to one. He scored 56 pts in his first game.

Huwag lang sana sosobra.* ;D

Rice got a first hand taste of the physicality of the PBA courtesy of Homer Se and De Ocampo. Mukhang hindi sanay sa pisikalan eh. I can't wait to see how he handles Red Bull and Ginebra :D

stonecold316
04-10-2008, 03:28 PM
I heard Ginebra acquired a new import coming from a fresh stint in the euroleage.

Wow, thanks for the info. Just hope this import will be more offensive minded and has toughness especially int the inside. Medyo hirap ata Ginebra sa loob ng paint if we will gauge yung past two games nila.

stonecold316

erichubert
04-10-2008, 03:42 PM

Wow, thanks for the info. Just hope this import will be more offensive minded and has toughness especially int the inside. Medyo hirap ata Ginebra sa loob ng paint if we will gauge yung past two games nila.

stonecold316

Basing from his name though, he looks like a defensive shot blocking player. Hope he does give them a better presence inside, as Menk and Reavis are obviously not enough.

BigBlue
04-10-2008, 03:48 PM
Basing from his name though, he looks like a defensive shot blocking player. Hope he does give them a better presence inside, as Menk and Reavis are obviously not enough.

we can judge a player's game based on his name now? ???

AnthonyServinio
04-10-2008, 03:54 PM

we can judge a player's game based on his name now?* ???

* * *Think former FedEx import Darrin Hancock.

And after last night, we might see Welcoat import Corey Santee live up to his name - C-Santee! And let's not forget his partner who was not kept, Jason Keep. The Dragon's new import Marquise Gainous wasn't really a gain.

In Purefoods, there is no shortage of Darius Rice. Hotdogs really go well with rice, only in the Philippines.

Adam Parada of Red Bull can just park in the shaded lane and he cannot be towed away.

erichubert
04-10-2008, 04:02 PM

It was just a comment since we do not have any information yet on the player, as there is no scouting report yet. Key words were "looks like". ::)

coreytaylor
04-11-2008, 03:57 PM
brgy. ginebra all ready have an official replacement for R. Turner: Ernest Brown, who once played for the miami heat. he will debut tomorrow's out of town game vs. sta. lucia. mukhang di na matutuloy si Tunji Femi Awojobi. this guy is a 7 footer.

link: http://www.abante-tonite.com/issue/apr1108/sports3.htm

BigBlue
04-12-2008, 10:26 AM

we can judge a player's game based on his name now? ???

It was just a comment since we do not have any information yet on the player, as there is no scouting report yet. Key words were "looks like". ::)

precisely my point. what about his name gave you that impression?? it's worse than judging a book by its cover, it's judging a book by its title!
::)

gameface_one
04-12-2008, 11:43 AM
Chot draws worst in import, best in locals

By NELSON BELTRAN

The Philippine Star

Aaron McGhee picked up two early fouls and figured in a verbal tussle with coach Chot Reyes on the bench in the third quarter, but Talk n Text stayed focused on the game, scoring an emphatic 103-92 win over Red Bull in the Smart PBA Fiesta Cup at the Araneta Coliseum Friday night.

The Talk n Text locals did much of the damage as the Pals caught up with the Bulls and the Purefoods Tender Juicy Giants at third place on their identical 2-1 win-loss records.

Don Allado came through with a double-double game with 21 points and 11 rebounds and Macmac Cardona added 19 points, eight assists, seven rebounds and two steals as the Pals made it two in a row following a 131-95 rout of the Welcoat Dragons last Friday.

McGhee played only 22 minutes because of early fouls and was limited to 18 points and seven rebounds.

"I shouted at him and he shouted back but it’s okay with me as he plays all out when he’s on the court. He’s a competitor and he doesn’t want to lose. Incident as what happened in the third quarter is a part of our colorful relationship," said coach Chot Reyes.

"When I asked him if he’s ready to play, he said ‘yes coach.’ We’d put the incident behind us," Reyes said.

The Pals did a good job cutting down to size seven-foot Red Bull import Adam Parada.

"We knew we can’t match up with Parada’s size. We need quickness to offset his size and I guess we’re able to do that," said Reyes.

The Pals won the battle off the boards, 60-51, generating fast-break points from the efforts.

Six TnT players in Allado, Cardona, McGee, Jay Washington, Ali Peek and Yancy de Ocampo accounted for at least seven rebounds each.

The Bulls engaged the Pals in one deadlock and eight lead changes in the opening period before fading away.

The Pals took the half at 53-35 and kept double-digit leads all the way to the finish.

"It’s a good test for us how well we can come together since we’re up against the best team in the league.

Red Bull may not have the best players and the best talents but, to me, they’re the best team in the league," said Reyes.

erichubert
04-12-2008, 02:04 PM

It was just a comment since we do not have any information yet on the player, as there is no scouting report yet. Key words were "looks like".* *::)

precisely my point. what about his name gave you that impression?? it's worse than judging a book by its cover, it's judging a book by its title!
::)

It was an African sounding name, and African big men usually are tough, defensive players like Dikembe. Anyway he isn't coming over so no sense in arguing about that. And by the way, I would rather judge a book by its title than its cover, a title is supposed to give a general glimpse of what the book has to offer.

joelex
04-19-2008, 03:16 AM
sana naman maibalik na yung 3 conf format na 6-1 below ang import sa 3rd conference.

magagaling naman ang mga import sa conference na ito, ngunit tila mas patok sa pilipino ang mga dating import na kahit buwaya eh talagang tuwing hawak ng bola alam mong pag sumalaksak eh dakdakan talaga. oh di kaya'y mag ala strothers, bitin sa ere sabay tatlong bantay tatalon at ililipat sa kaliwa para i lay up. si stevin smith ng sunkist dati, kahit chubby eh ang liksi saka nakakatuwa sa court. oh si redfield, oh kaya si travis, 38-14-7-3-2 sa stats. commanding ng double team lahat ng import dati. kahit 28-12 na ang average, pauuwiin. 33ppg ang minimum sa import dati. sabihin na natin hindi natututo ang Pinas para sa intl play, kahit puros taga europa ilagay mo dyan di pa din tayo mananalo. Mas patok talaga sa ordinaryong pilipino gaya ko ang mga import na talagang angat ang laro, mabibilis, maliliksi, at talagang MAGAGALING.

gameface_one
04-22-2008, 08:57 AM
Alaska import faces ban, fine

By WAYLON GALVEZ
mb.com.ph

Alaska import Randy Holcomb has been summoned to appear today at the PBA Commissioner’s Office after hacking and breaking the nose of Red Bull forward Rich Alvarez in an out of town game last Saturday.

The 6-foot-4 Alvarez suffered a broken nose when he was hacked by the 6-foot-9 Holcomb during a fast break play early in the final quarter of the game which the Bulls won in overtime, 100-97, at the Ilocos Norte Centennial Arena in Laoag.

The incident happened with 10 minutes left to play and the Aces up, 81-80, when Cyrus Baguio stole the leather and feed it to the streaking Alvarez.

Holcomb tried to block Alvarez’s lay-up but he hit the former Ateneo star in the face.

Alvarez made the shot, 82-81, but was taken out with a bloody nose while Holcomb was assessed with a Flagrant Foul Penalty 1 (F1).

The incident triggered a heated exchange of words between Red Bull coach Yeng Guiao and Holcomb.

"It’s a vicious and treacherous act that endangers the careers of other potential victims if it goes unpunished," Guiao told the Bulletin yesterday. "The refs totally misjudged the incident. If that’s not F2 what else is. "Imports like Holcomb do not deserve our (country’s) hospitality," Guiao, a vice governor in Pampanga, added.

PBA Executive Director Rickie Santos, who handles the technical affairs of the league, said that Commissioner Sonny Barrios will meet with Holcomb today at 11 a.m., although they’re already reviewing the tape.

"Commissioner Barrios will most probably have a decision tomorrow afternoon," Santos said.

However, because there’s precedent that occurred recently during the Finals of the Philippine Cup between eventual champion Sta. Lucia Realty and Purefoods TJ Hotdogs, a league insider said there’s a strong possibility that the F1 on Holcomb be upgraded to F2, which carries at least a R10,000 fine and one-game suspension.

In Game 4 of the Philippine Cup Finals, James Yap hit Joseph Yeo that swollen the nose of the former. The referees gave Yap an F1 but Barrios upgraded it to F2 that suspended Yap in Game 5 and fined R10,000.

"There’s already a precedent, that’s why it is possible that the call be upgraded to F2," said the source who asked not to be named.

gameface_one
04-24-2008, 08:27 AM
2 imports give Coke its sizzle

By Waylon Galvez
mb.com.ph

It’s not surprising why Coca-Cola is currently leading the field going into the All-Star festivity of the Smart-PBA Fiesta Cup.

Having the luxury of fielding two imports – the concession they got for finishing 9th in last year’s conference — the Tigers appear to be in great shape to end a series of misfortunes.

Through six games in this import-flavored conference, Coca-Cola sports a 5-1 (win-loss) record after beating Philippine Cup champion Sta. Lucia Realty, 95-88, the other day at the Astrodome in Pasay City.

Coke is half a game ahead of Red Bull, which carries a 4-1 card, while at third is Talk ‘N Text with 4-2.

The setback dropped Sta. Lucia into a tie for fourth with Magnolia Beverage. Air21, Purefoods TJ Hotdogs and defending champion Alaska have similar 2-3 slates, followed by Welcoat Paints at 1-4. Barangay Ginebra has yet to win in five games.

Several basketball observers rank the Tigers as the top contender this conference because of their advantage of having two imports, not to mention a merry mix of talented local players led by Asi Taulava, Nick Belasco, Mark Telan and rising stars Ronjay Buenafe, Mark Macapagal and Alex Cabagnot.

Coke started the conference with three straight wins, although its first win against TNT, 87-79, was marred by the injury to 6-foot-1 import Calvin Cage, who broke his left foot.

Despite playing with one import – 6-foot-9 Jason Dixon – in their next two assignments, the Tigers still prevailed over the Giants, 109-108, and the Dragons, 98-96.

However, Coke’s winning streak was halted by Air21 with a 95-102 defeat.

The setback spoiled the debut of George "Gee Gervin" Jr., son of former NBA great George "The Iceman" Gervin. In his first game, Gervin finished 26 points with two rebounds, six assists and three steals.

Six days later though, the Tigers bounced back with a thrilling 82-81 victory opposite the Gin Kings.

"We never really got going offensively but I’m glad that our defense showed up big time (in those five wins). Up to the very end we just continue defending," Coca-Cola mentor Binky Favis said.

"It’s a joy watching all the locals supporting each other and the two imports come in support each other as well. They just tried to feed off each other," Favis added.

But Favis is not going to celebrate their early success yet.

Their biggest test will be against Adam Parada-led Red Bull on April 30.

"We’re going to try a conscious effort to get as much learning (during the break) and improve as much as we could, particularly with Gervin, who’s still trying to fit his way in," Favis said.

In three games, the former Houston University star playmaker averages 19.3 points, 3.6 rebounds and 3.3 assists for Coke. Leading the team in points and rebounds is Dixon with 25.5 and 11.1, respectively with 2.6 assists.

The 6-foot-9 Taulava is the top local producer with 11.1 points and 9.1 rebounds while Buenafe continues to excite his supporters by averaging 10.1 points, 3.3 boards and 3.1 assists a game.

The other contributing factors to the Tigers’ early success are the consistent showing of Cabagnot, Macapagal, Ariel Dimaunahan and Ronjay Enrile.

For Favis, aside from improving their plays, his other concern is the physical condition of his players.

"I hope we stay healthy," he said.

gameface_one
06-04-2008, 10:06 AM
Ex-import eager to coach in PBA
By Joaquin Henson
Wednesday, June 4, 2008
Philstar.com

It’s been 25 years since former Toyota import Andy Fields played in the PBA and now that he’s 51, the man fondly called “Andres Bukid” by his Filipino fans hopes to return as a coach–if there are takers.

Fields was recently spotted by Filipino tourist Robin Tong at the Fairfield Inn in Philadelphia. Tong spoke to Fields who readily shared his contact numbers to reconnect with local media.

In a later e-mail to The Star, Fields said he works as an assistant inspector for the New Jersey casino control commission and is applying to coach the varsity basketball team of his alma mater Cheyney State, a Pennsylvania school west of Philadelphia.

Fields won the Best Import award in 1981 and led Toyota to three championships before leaving the PBA in 1983 when the Tamaraws disbanded. He is in the PBA record books for averaging 15.5 rebounds in five seasons–second only to Norman Black in the all-time standings.

With fond memories of his PBA career, Fields said he hopes to someday visit Manila to coach “if an organization would hire me for the right amount of money.”

Fields said his most unforgettable PBA moment was winning the Open conference championship for Toyota in 1981. His teammates included Robert Jaworski, Francis Arnaiz, Ramon Fernandez, Danny Florencio, Abe King and Arnie Tuadles.

“I’ve played for several championship teams around the world but I never played with a trio of players like Sonny, Ramon and Francis,” he said. “I’ve heard so much about their success and I’m really proud of Sonny. I was sad to hear about Tuadles (who was gunned down during a poker game). Filipinos love their basketball. The brand of play (in the PBA) could compete with the rest of the world. I should know. I keep track of what goes on in the PBA through the internet. A lot has changed, especially the sponsors and uniforms.”

Fields said his staunchest opponents in the PBA were NBA veterans Glenn McDonald and Aaron James. “I’ll never forget us (Toyota) losing the finals to them (U-Tex) in the last 16 seconds,” he added.

After leaving the PBA, Fields went on to play in Belgium, Holland, France and Switzerland for 13 years.

“I’m not in touch with any of my teammates directly but Filipinos who live in my area (Atlantic City) give me news of the PBA,” he said. “The person I was in touch with after leaving the PBA was Nena Marcos, a dear friend.”

Fields singled out Curtis Berry and Sylvester Cuyler as the only ex-imports he has kept track of through the years. He played against Berry in Switzerland while Cuyler was appointed boxing commissioner in New Jersey. His favorite import was the late Bruce (Sky) King.

Fields said he owes everything in his life to God for answering his prayers. When he was 14, Fields underwent open heart surgery for murmurs and survived to become a star cager at Cheyney State. In 1978, he was named MVP in the playoffs as Cheyney State bagged the NCAA Division II crown.

In the 1979 NBA draft, Fields was picked on the second round by Portland and came close to playing for the Trail Blazers. “The organization decided to only sign Jim Paxson, their first round pick, and keep a veteran team that won the NBA title in 1977,” he related. “I had tryouts with Atlanta in 1980 and Indiana in 1982. In both cases, the organizations did not want to guarantee any money to come back to veteran camp. Plus, at the time, I loved where I was playing in Manila.”

Fields said Magic Johnson and Michael Cooper were friends who became NBA stars. Today, another friend Sam Mitchell coaches the Toronto Raptors.

As for the NBA Finals, Fields said as a Los Angeles fan, he’s excited to witness the rivalry rekindled between the Lakers and Boston as in the era of Johnson and Larry Bird. “It’s about time t bring it back with Kobe Bryant and Paul Pierce,” he said.

Fields married his second wife Pamela in 2003. Both have two children from previous relationships and none plays basketball. Fields’ two children are Matthew, 22, now playing for the minor league baseball team Vero Beach Devil Rays, and Angelica, 10, who lives in the Italian part of Switzerland. His wife’s children are Jacques, 21, and Giovanni, 13.

As a coach, Fields has worked in the John Chaney and Sonny Hill camp at Temple University the last eight years. He was league director and coach of the Boys and Girls Clubs of Atlantic City and Camden County in the Jr. NBA and Jr. WNBA for six seasons. In 1999, Fields was an assistant coach for the Lancaster Storm that won the United States Alliance League title.

Fields described himself as “a self-starter with a wealth of knowledge as a former high school and semi-pro coach, pro player and collegiate student athlete who constantly strives to develop as a coach with experience in team instruction, leadership, motivation, player development and techniques, conditioning preparation and camps and clinics.” He said he has proven administrative skills in academic monitoring, promotions and marketing, budgeting, recruiting, fund-raising, staffing and scheduling and travel planning.

The_Big_Cat
06-04-2008, 10:48 AM
^Andy Fields wore the "number 1" jersey for the Toyot Super Corollas back then. Besides Bruce "Sky" King, Fields once teamed with Ralph Brewster for Toyota.

erichubert
06-21-2008, 11:48 AM
Bobby Parks is reportedly suffering from throat cancer and is undergoing treatment in Memphis. I hope that he recovers so that he can see his son play for the Philippine team in the future.

joelex
06-22-2008, 01:14 AM
39pts, 22 reb, 4 asst, 2 stls and 3 blks.

Those are Terence Leather's numbers for the Talk n Text Phone Pals and and thats what i call a legit import, legit vintage PBA type imports who will tear up triple teams, not some 7 foot rebounding monster who doesnt have a post game to speak of and leaving every team to match up height wise instead of going for the best import available that would draw the crowds.

More of this type please. 8 more in fact. (Jason Dixon is good enough)

There ought to be a fine for teams who bring in lemons decided by the fans!

erichubert
06-22-2008, 06:24 PM
In general, this conference's imports have been mediocre, they are serviceable but unimpressive. I think its because of the unlimited height allowed by the PBA. Teams are blinded by their need to get those 7'0 stiffs who rebound well but moves like a lumber and it has made for boring television. Bring back the height limits, give us the imports who would excite us like the Strothers, Travises and Kenny Redfields.

ros
06-27-2008, 11:55 AM
In general, this conference's imports have been mediocre, they are serviceable but unimpressive. I think its because of the unlimited height allowed by the PBA. Teams are blinded by their need to get those 7'0 stiffs who rebound well but moves like a lumber and it has made for boring television. Bring back the height limits, give us the imports who would excite us like the Strothers, Travises and Kenny Redfields.

Well basketball is not all about scoring. The unlimited height rule is good since we're training our locals how to play against those behemoths. And if you hire an import who will do it all then you're preventing the locals to improve and most especially play their game since the team will rely heavily on the import especially on offense. I like the way how the team staffs and coaches chooses imports nowadays they're looking for what is lacking in their team and those who can compliment with the locals.

Take for example Parada, Alexander, etc. they were hired to play their role and that is to rebound. block, defend, intimidate. And about terence leather, yes he was explosive in his last game but he just came in so the opponent is still scouting how he plays for sure the next few games he will be checked.

And about strothers, travis, redfields whom all were explosive imports during their days. Do you think Parada, Alexander, Thomas, etc will not be as explosive as those players if they've played during those years where PBA players are smaller?

IMO, The locals are improving, the team game and the system is prioritized that's why Darius Rice who was an explosive scorer left.

erichubert
06-27-2008, 03:08 PM
I didn't say they are not effective, the beef with these 7 footers is that they are boring to watch. At the end of the day, you can compare the crowd and ratings of the PBA with these imports and with the likes of Travis, Strothers and Parks and you can see the difference.

If Parada, Alexander and Thomas played in the 90s, we wouldn't even remember their names by now, and that is the problem with these imports lately, there have been fewer and fewer memorable imports that would make the crowd come back to the PBA.

ros
06-27-2008, 04:41 PM
Well those were the days were the PBA was still on top in primetime program now things have changed, they're struggling when it comes to viewership. If say the likes of strothers, travis, etc. played today then they will for sure be unknowns and fighting for recognition for the fans. They were just fortunate where forms of entertainment was still few before unlike today where you can skip PBA for NBA, especially internet, cafes, xbox, PS3, etc.

Now if we only implemented this unlimited height rule we could have gain a lot of learning and not be surprised when our PBA backed RP team face our Asian neighbors.

FYI, few like Darius Rice when he orchestrate the PF offense all by his lonesome, now if we put this kind of imports sure they're amazing and explosive but the question is can that kind of basketball win games nowadays where team basketball is important. Just look at Red Bull, they don't need a super explosive import all they need is a good center and that's what Parada is doing.

Basketball has evolved all over the world, the same thing goes to the PBA from super spectacular imports of the past to today's team oriented ones. And we as fans, should also try to cope with the new age of basketball where team matters.

erichubert
06-27-2008, 04:51 PM
I don't think that we didn't learn from the likes of Strothers, Travis and other imports before. Despite their flashiness and smaller size, they were also good rebounders, passers and scorers, in short they were versatile. They taught our big men how to rebound despite being small, taught our scorers how to be creative against defenses and taught our point guards how to read defenses and pass.

And if we really want to have our players learn the internatinal game, we should just stop getting American imports, let's get the Europeans, I am sure they would teach as more things about the international game than the Americans do.

As for Darius Rice, there is a reason he isn't here anymore and that is because he is a ballhog and doesn't play team ball, guys like Chambers, Parks, Norman Black and Lamont Strothers knew how to involve the locals and when to take over, their games were more complete and that made them special.

bchoter
06-27-2008, 07:51 PM
If there's one thing pinoys learned from the shorter imports it is how not to play the right way or at least not for us Pinoys. You can't learn from athletes who get by with sheer athleticism alone unless you are as athletic as they are. How can one learn to read defenses from players who do not need smarts to score. When all htey need is to overpower or out-jump their earth-bound counterparts. At least when they play the behemoths it's like playing against the tall but not too athletic Asians. We learned frmo teh Norman Blacks and the Bobby Parkses not because they are smallish imports but becasue of who they are.

Red Bull don't need an import to provide the flash. Cyrus is more than enough.

tigerman
07-10-2008, 06:16 PM
39pts, 22 reb, 4 asst, 2 stls and 3 blks.

Those are Terence Leather's numbers for the Talk n Text Phone Pals and and thats what i call a legit import, legit vintage PBA type imports who will tear up triple teams, not some 7 foot rebounding monster who doesnt have a post game to speak of and leaving every team to match up height wise instead of going for the best import available that would draw the crowds.

More of this type please. 8 more in fact. (Jason Dixon is good enough)

There ought to be a fine for teams who bring in lemons decided by the fans!

More of Leather's talent minus the thug attitude. ;D

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

joelex
07-11-2008, 12:45 AM
Leather sure as hell proved my claim how exciting the league would be with more like him playing here. ;D

Because really, his play and demeanor creates more buzz to the PBA.

The tambays in the streets would definitely feel more bang for the buck in their PBA ticket with Leather than say a Steve Thomas or Adam Parada.

The_Big_Cat
07-11-2008, 10:12 AM
Imagine ninyo na lang kung naging import ng Ginebra si Terence Leather.
Back to the Jawo-days again. ;D

erichubert
07-11-2008, 11:20 AM
Imagine if Leather and Ronnie Thompkins got to play against each other here, isama mo pa si Terquinn Mott, rambulan talaga sa PBA niyan. :D

coreytaylor
07-11-2008, 01:14 PM
^ add art long and gerold honeycutt

The_Big_Cat
07-11-2008, 01:22 PM
Imagine if Leather and Ronnie Thompkins got to play against each other here, isama mo pa si Terquinn Mott, rambulan talaga sa PBA niyan.* :D

Ayan talaga ang import na may "attitude" on and off the court.

joelex
07-11-2008, 11:26 PM
only in the pba, when you see a player about to shoot a free throw suddenly drop the ball and follow other players run to the dugout, only to restrain art long and tony lang from fighting ;D

amdgc82
08-07-2008, 06:17 AM
Daryl Smith dies after game
Thursday, August 7, 2008
The Freeman

Cebu-based American basketball player Daryl Smith died the other day of heart attack. He was 53.

The 6-foot-9 Smith, a former PBA import, was playing hoops in Liloan on Tuesday night where he suited up for Team Consolacion in an exhibition match against the Liloan-based Designer of coach Edcel* Vallena.

Sources at the Mandaue City Hospital where Smith was pronounced dead on arrival did not categorically state the cause of death, but confirmed it was a heart failure due to over fatigue.

Smith just came from Bohol that day where he played as import for some local teams and then proceeded to Liloan that night.

Vallena, whose team won, 82-76, said that during the game, Smith went out of the gym with five minutes left in the third period. He said Smith played briefly in the final quarter but did not return until the end of the game and was just sitting on the bench.

Upon going home to Consolacion, Smith complained of* chest pains so his teammates Gilbert Demape and Arturo Pepito Jr. rubbed him with a pain reliever, which somehow soothed Smith.

After a shortwhile, they went out for hot noodle soup and it was on that instance that Smith collapsed. While some of his teammates were scared, Pepito picked up Smith and brought him by the ambulance to the Mandaue City Hospital, but efforts of reviving him failed.

Smith played a key role in various championships of the M. Lhuillier Jewelers in the commercial derby.

His passion for basketball continues that he earned a living by playing as import in provincial tournaments especially in Mindanao. (GGM)

amdgc82
08-07-2008, 06:50 AM
Former PBA import Smith, 51
08/06/2008 | 08:39 PM
www.gmanews.tv

MANILA, Philippines – Former Philippine Basketball Association import Darryl Smith died of a heart attack Tuesday night. He was 51.

Smith played for 2 PBA teams – Great Taste (1979) and Winston (1983) -- and then permanently settled in Cebu after his competitive years.

He was widely known as a scoring import, averaging 37 points and 13 rebounds while playing for the Coffee Makers in two conferences and normed 27.5 points and 16 rebounds in two games with Winston.

According to reports, Smith suffered cardiac arrest after playing a game in Liloan, Cebu, where he had been based for a long time now. – GMANews.TV

bossman
09-15-2008, 09:34 PM
Si Tony Harris the best!

emorej
10-19-2008, 11:14 AM
Sino ba yung import na hinila ni rico Villanueva all the way sa midcourt?

tigerman
10-19-2008, 03:02 PM
If I'm not mistaken, si Stephen Howard. Dating teammate nila Malone at Stockton.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

makotosing
11-17-2008, 07:42 AM
Former PBA import Smith, 51
08/06/2008 | 08:39 PM
www.gmanews.tv

MANILA, Philippines – Former Philippine Basketball Association import Darryl Smith died of a heart attack Tuesday night. He was 51.

Smith played for 2 PBA teams – Great Taste (1979) and Winston (1983) -- and then permanently settled in Cebu after his competitive years.

He was widely known as a scoring import, averaging 37 points and 13 rebounds while playing for the Coffee Makers in two conferences and normed 27.5 points and 16 rebounds in two games with Winston.

According to reports, Smith suffered cardiac arrest after playing a game in Liloan, Cebu, where he had been based for a long time now. – GMANews.TV

patay na pala sya?
katabi lang namin sya ng bahay dati.. kinuha ata import ng may ari ng katabing haws namin..iwan sng liga

ej_josef
11-20-2008, 03:07 PM
e how about toyota's imports Andrew Fields, Donnie Ray Coonce... did anyone remember the blocking shots of Andrew Fields and the three point shots by Donnie Ray Coonce??? hanep... noong bata pa ako yan ang mga idol ko!!! swabe!! ::)

The_Big_Cat
11-20-2008, 05:16 PM
e how about toyota's imports Andrew Fields, Donnie Ray Coonce... did anyone remember the blocking shots of Andrew Fields and the three point shots by Donnie Ray Coonce??? hanep... noong bata pa ako yan ang mga idol ko!!! swabe!!* ::)

Andy Fields (number 1).
Donnie Ray Koonce (number 30).

ej_josef
11-20-2008, 05:33 PM
i stand corrected sa surname ni donnie ray Koonce.... thank you big bear... do you have any news regarding imports in late 70's and early 80's???

----------------
Now playing: Skid Row - Big Guns (http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/skid_row/track/big_guns)
via FoxyTunes (http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/)

ankle breaker
11-20-2008, 10:42 PM
^Two ex-imports won championship rings with the Celtics. David Thirdkill (Tanduay, Purefoods) was a reserve on the Celtics' '86 championship team. And before him, there was Glenn McDonald (U-Tex), who was a reserve on the Celtics' '76 championship team. He was the hero of that classic triple overtime Game 5. There's also Tony Harris (Swift) who played for the Sixers and the Celtics.

Other ex-imports who won NBA championship rings include Wes Matthews (Ginebra, Lakers '87), Billy Thompson (SMB, Lakers 87), Dennis Hopson (Purefoods, Chicago Bulls '91) and Scott Burrell (Red Bull, Chicago Bulls '98). Also, Leon Wood (Purefoods) was on the '84 US Olympic team.

Cedric Ceballos also played here for a couple of games a few years ago. Can't remember which team, though. But he was already past his prime.

cedric ceballos played for the lakers, dallas mavericks and phoenix suns. he was best remembered when he won the slamdunk championship opposite larry "grandmama" johnson of the charlotte hornets then.

ankle breaker
11-20-2008, 10:56 PM

magkaiba sina alexander coles at si jervis cole pero pareho silang naging import nang ginebra. si alex coles came in 1995 while jervis cole came in 1992 2nd conference.
other ginebra ex-imports who made waves in the NBA were mith wiggins who suited for houston and henry james who suited up for atlanta plus rick brunson who suited up for the new york knicks then to the blazers, bulls, celtics, raptors, clippers, sonics and rockets. he's now denver nuggets player development coach.

MonL
11-20-2008, 11:33 PM

cedric ceballos played for the lakers, dallas mavericks and phoenix suns. he was best remembered when he won the slamdunk championship opposite larry "grandmama" johnson of the charlotte hornets then.

And he did it blindfolded. That stunt was imitated by Baron Davis years later. However, you could see the peephole in Baron's blindfold through which he could see because the cloth he used was white, and he was ripped by the sports commentators for pulling such a stunt. :D

duphaR007
12-10-2008, 05:43 PM
for me the best is lamont strothers for his overall performance

also terquin mott sa energy. hehehe

JayMDee
12-12-2008, 01:41 AM
ito kaya ang most impressive credentials ng pba import before playing in the PBA? I can't think of any other import that made such an impact in the NBA. yun nga lang, with jawo & arnaiz ion the team, hindi siya umubra.* ::)he had a forgettable pba stint.

Kevin Porter (born April 17, 1950, in Chicago, Illinois) is a retired American professional basketball player.

A 6'0" point guard from Saint Francis University, Porter played 10 seasons (1972–1981; 1982–1983) in the National Basketball Association as a member of the Baltimore/Capital/Washington Bullets, the Detroit Pistons, and the New Jersey Nets. Porter was one of the most talented passers in league history, leading the league in both assists per game and total assists four times during his career (1975, 1978, 1979, and 1981). At one point, Porter held the record for most assists in a game, with 29. (Scott Skiles broke the record when he tallied 30 assists on December 30, 1990.)

Porter was also a key member of the 1975 Bullets team which reached the NBA Finals before losing to the Golden State Warriors. When he retired in 1983, he had accumulated 5,314 career assists and 7,645 career points.

Following his retirement from the NBA, Porter reinforced the Toyota Super Corollas Basketball Team in the Philippine Basketball Association and played for one conference.

duphaR007
12-13-2008, 12:05 PM
grabe yung porter na yun ah. before he played for the pba, maganda pala performance niya sa nba. sikat and hindi bangko. superstar pala yun.

MonL
02-24-2009, 12:46 AM
I was looking for an article about the NBA pro record of 6'9" former Gilbey's Gin import Larry (The Hawk) McNeill to compare his situation then at Marquette University to Red Lion Ogie Menor's dilemma of late. I will go further into that later.

However, I was saddened to find out that he died several years ago.

Though it may be very late, I pray for his eternal rest.

Check out the site below for the NBRPA Obit.

https://www.nbrpa.com/news/fondfarwell2005.aspx

yungha
03-19-2009, 04:17 PM
basta ako, kung matuloy pagbisita ni billy ray bates sa atin, magpapa-kodak talaga ako kasama ni black superman.

pio_valenz
03-20-2009, 10:34 AM
If you want to see just how talented the PBA imports were in the 1980s, grab a copy of the book Tip Off by Filip Bondy. It's a book about the 1984 NBA draft and how it changed NBA history. There are numerous references to not only the stars of that '84 draft, but also to other top college players, first-round draft choices, and legitimate NBA back-ups.

I counted the following PBA imports who were mentioned in the book either as college stars with a good shot at being drafted in the first round or NBA veterans as of 1984: Michael Young (Manila Beer, Great Taste), Terry Duerod (Ginebra), Jerry Eaves (Alaska), Stewart Granger (Shell), Harold Keeling (Manila Beer), Alvin Franklin (Great Taste), Leon Wood (Purefoods), Kenny Fields (Great Taste), and Corey Blackwell (Great Taste).

yungha
03-20-2009, 02:39 PM
^ yup. time was when the PBA was the premier pro destination outside of the nba. we offered higher salaries and better perks. when they got here they were treated like rock stars, their dollars went a lot farther and they got to play in a well-organized league.

in the early 80s the premier US college team (though they never won the title) was houston and phi slamma jamma. four guys from that powerhouse team went on to the PBA - michael young, rob williams, benny anders and and alvin franklin. kulang na lang sina hakeem, clyde the glide and cadillac anderson. that's like having a good number of the 2005-2006 florida gators or the 07-08 tar heels or the 92-93 blue devils play in the pba.

nastrans
03-21-2009, 05:22 PM

magkaiba sina alexander coles at si jervis cole pero pareho silang naging import nang ginebra. si alex coles came in 1995 while jervis cole came in 1992 2nd conference.
other ginebra ex-imports who made waves in the NBA were mith wiggins who suited for houston and henry james who suited up for atlanta plus rick brunson who suited up for the new york knicks then to the blazers, bulls, celtics, raptors, clippers, sonics and rockets. he's now denver nuggets player development coach.

Si Alex Coles yung player na dumank sa apat na PBA cheerleaders at si Noli Locsin noong 1995 PBA team Slam Dunk contest. Talo nga lang sila sa Shell.

irateluvmachine
04-13-2009, 05:41 AM
If you want to see just how talented the PBA imports were in the 1980s, grab a copy of the book Tip Off by Filip Bondy. It's a book about the 1984 NBA draft and how it changed NBA history. There are numerous references to not only the stars of that '84 draft, but also to other top college players, first-round draft choices, and legitimate NBA back-ups.

I counted the following PBA imports who were mentioned in the book either as college stars with a good shot at being drafted in the first round or NBA veterans as of 1984: Michael Young (Manila Beer, Great Taste), Terry Duerod (Ginebra), Jerry Eaves (Alaska), Stewart Granger (Shell), Harold Keeling (Manila Beer), Alvin Franklin (Great Taste), Leon Wood (Purefoods), Kenny Fields (Great Taste), and Corey Blackwell (Great Taste).

i was supposed to buy that in fully booked MOA some time ago...pero naunahan ako :D i remember returning to fully booked a week after i first saw the book, wala na sa shelves... :(

yup, those imports mentioned remind me of the time i first started watching basketball...and they were pretty good indeed. michael young, as previously mentioned, was a 1st-round pick in 1984 and a former college teammate of hakeem olajuwon and clyde drexler. stewart granger was a late first-rounder or early second-rounder. leon wood was picked #10 overall in 1984 and also made Team USA in the 1984 olympics.

IMHO, bumaba talaga ang quality ng imports sa PBA ever since lamont strothers decided to call it a PBA career...

Emon74
04-14-2009, 07:52 AM
Larry McNeil, he once holds the highest output scored in a PBA game with 88 points.

Cory Blackwell played for Great Taste in their failed bid to win a Grandslam in 1985 Reinforced, I recall the two lemon imports the coffemakers had before Blackwell.

Wally Rank - a comic sort of an import
Michael Britt - this guy couldnt bang bodies sa sobrang payat niya, but there was this exciting Ginebra-Great Taste game I saw on TV where he held his own against Michael Hackett for two quarters, but Hackett was unstoppable in the second half finishing with 60 points in Ginebra's blowout win over Great Taste.

irateluvmachine
04-14-2009, 03:28 PM
Larry McNeil, he once holds the highest output scored in a PBA game with 88 points.

wasn't it lew massey who had the highest-scoring game for an import before michael hackett broke the record in 1985?

Emon74
04-14-2009, 04:28 PM

wasn't it lew massey who had the highest-scoring game for an import before michael hackett broke the record in 1985?

Lew Massey had 85 points in 1982, Yes, McNeil broke it with 88 the following year while playing for Winston until Michael Hackett had this 103 points in 1985.

coreytaylor
07-14-2009, 11:04 AM
Im surprised to see former Red Bull import Adam Parada in the Timberwolves line-up in the 2009 NBA Summer League. He had 7pts,4rebs,& 1stl in 19mins playing against NBA D-League Selects.

Link: http://www.nba.com/summerleague2009/games/boxscore.jsp?gameId=1520900013

fujitsu
07-16-2009, 08:04 AM
what about dexter shouse? house? yung import ng shell dati. he's fun to watch. ;D

Emon74
08-03-2009, 10:17 AM
what about dexter shouse? house? yung import ng shell dati. he's fun to watch. ;D

Shouse is one of the better imports to graced the PBA, flamboyant, cocky and a showman, when I saw his first game here on TV, he's beginning to talk a lot about his match ups with Billy Ray Bates, ang rivalry niya with fellow imports has always been against Ginebra, the other whom he likes to trash talk with was Carlos Briggs.

fujima04
08-03-2009, 11:35 PM

Agree with you. Dexter Shouse is fun to watch. Sagutan sila ng three points ni Carlos Briggs.

Though I am not sure if he suited up with Shell. What I know is with Purefoods.

IIRC, siya yung pag tumitira ng free throw ay itinataas ang isang laylayan ng short.

Siya rin yung biglang umuwi at hindi tinapos ang isang conference.

pio_valenz
07-21-2010, 09:16 AM
Here's some bit of news about ex-import Dell Demps, who played in the early- to mid-90s for Pepsi and Shell. Didn't know he was with the Spurs front office.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AmHOc7ElsbARno8.owmjiNa8vLYF?slug=ys-dempsoffers072010

Kid Cubao
07-21-2010, 09:27 AM
i didn't know he had it in him to be a corporate suit. i remember him as a big, burly guy who had one of the sweetest strokes i've seen.

Emon74
07-22-2010, 02:35 PM
Delano Demps was one fine import who graced the PBA during the 90s, and here's two bad dudes who made PBA headlines during the time Demps first played here in 1992.

Two shocking PBA developments within a week, what a way to wind up the elimination round by Shell and Ginebra whose imports have been sent home due to positive drug test and attitude problems.
First, Kelvin Upshaw was found sneaking in Jamie Waller's car during halftime of the Purefoods-Alaska game instead of undergoing a drug test last Thursday. The next day, Upshaw was found positive of Marijuana which resulted in his being banned for life in the PBA.
It is said that Upshaw requested the PBA not to make public his offense but the PBA thought otherwise and aired it to the public to make everyone aware that the league means what it says. the next thing, Upshaw said that Waller is in sympathy with him and that they're going home Wed. (Nov.4) together.
Thus, Shell's Kelvin Upshaw became the first PBA import to be banned for drug use. He also committed the deplorable, unforgivable act of showing his ebony buttocks during the Shell-Ginebra tussle.
Jamie Waller, on the other hand went on TV the other Sunday by saying that the reason why he and playing coach Robert Jaworski had a slight misunderstanding was because of a writeup by a "reporter" claiming that Waller had been badmouthing the Big J.
When Jaworski was asked why they had to replace Waller. "He wanted to go. He asked for his released papers. So, what can we do? mahirap namang pilitin mo "yung ayaw na." "Mabait sana at magaling. Pero kung anu-ano na ang hinihingi. mahirap na 'yon." The Big J was referring to the outside forces that had somehow brainwashed Jamie Waller to command so many things.

*both Waller and Upshaw were former PBA imports on their second tour of duty in '92, Waller first played for Ginebra in 1988 winning the best import plum while Upshaw played with Swift a year before in '91.

pepman
07-23-2010, 04:10 AM
Delano Demps was one fine import who graced the PBA during the 90s, and here's two bad dudes who made PBA headlines during the time Demps first played here in 1992.

Two shocking PBA developments within a week, what a way to wind up the elimination round by Shell and Ginebra whose imports have been sent home due to positive drug test and attitude problems.
First, Kelvin Upshaw was found sneaking in Jamie Waller's car during halftime of the Purefoods-Alaska game instead of undergoing a drug test last Thursday. The next day, Upshaw was found positive of Marijuana which resulted in his being banned for life in the PBA.
It is said that Upshaw requested the PBA not to make public his offense but the PBA thought otherwise and aired it to the public to make everyone aware that the league means what it says. the next thing, Upshaw said that Waller is in sympathy with him and that they're going home Wed. (Nov.4) together.
Thus, Shell's Kelvin Upshaw became the first PBA import to be banned for drug use. He also committed the deplorable, unforgivable act of showing his ebony buttocks during the Shell-Ginebra tussle.
Jamie Waller, on the other hand went on TV the other Sunday by saying that the reason why he and playing coach Robert Jaworski had a slight misunderstanding was because of a writeup by a "reporter" claiming that Waller had been badmouthing the Big J.
When Jaworski was asked why they had to replace Waller. "He wanted to go. He asked for his released papers. So, what can we do? mahirap namang pilitin mo "yung ayaw na." "Mabait sana at magaling. Pero kung anu-ano na ang hinihingi. mahirap na 'yon." The Big J was referring to the outside forces that had somehow brainwashed Jamie Waller to command so many things.

*both Waller and Upshaw were former PBA imports on their second tour of duty in '92, Waller first played for Ginebra in 1988 winning the best import plum while Upshaw played with Swift a year before in '91.

Heard Demps is now the Hornets' GM.

erichubert
08-20-2010, 02:16 PM
Don't know if you guys remember Mitchell Wiggins, the former NBA standout who played for Ginebra in the PBA. His son Andrew Wiggins is being touted as the top player in the 2014 high school class, as early as now the 15 year old has been showing up even the older players he is playing against. The intriguing thing is that he is from Canada, so He could be the next big international star in basketball if ever.

Emon74
08-25-2010, 08:45 PM
I think Mitchell Wiggins was the last PBA import to score more than 70 points, Wiggins scored 62 and 78 points in his first two games with Tondena in 1994. he and another former import Lewis Lloyd were part of the Houston Rockets that lost to the Celtics in the 1986 NBA Finals.

Emon74
10-01-2010, 09:55 PM
Shouse's a flop in 10-day stint (This was after he left Purefoods)
By Henry Liao

Scoring 50 points night in and night out in the PBA may be par for the course for an import
But it's a different story when he is called upon to play in the NBA, the world's ultimate roundball forum.
This former Purefoods import Dexter Shouse found out the hard way in his brief stint with the Philadelphia 76ers, who signed the 6-1 point guard to a one-year contract last Nov.27 but gave him his release papers 10 days later.
Life in the NBA was horrible for the 26-year-old Shouse, the oldest rookie in the league (surpassing Minnesota forward Sam Mitchell by more than five months for the honor).
He was given little playing time, mostly garbage minutes, and was shut out from the scoring column each time he saw action. Still, many would cherish the experience of playing in the NBA no matter how insignificant.
In his NBA debut at the Spectrum last Nov.29, Shouse was the 12th and final man fielded in by Sixers coach Jim Lynam against cleveland. The 1985 fourth-round draft choice of the Los Angeles Lakers played six meaningless minutes in the 76ers' 114-84 rout of the Cavaliers and did not score, misfiring all three of his field tries.
Shouse appeared in eight minutes and went scoreless anew in the Quaker City squad's next outing on Dec.1, a 107-90 setback to Washington at Baltimore, but collected one assist and one blocked shot.
A day later, Shouse failed to come off the bench as Philadelphia dropped a 100-92 decision to Atlanta. He returned to action last Dec.5 against New York. The Knicks won that one, 110-103, with Shouse assisting once in four minutes. For the third consecutive game, he was scoreless, having not attempted a single field goal or free throw.
Shouse did not suit up again last Dec.6 as the Sixers broke a three-game road losing streak with an easy 121-98 decision over Miami at home. The following night, Philadelphia waived Shouse.
The once high-scoring PBA import wound up without a single point in three appearances, going 0-for-4 from the field, and only had two assists and one blocked shot in 18 minutes of forgettable action.
Shouse is a product of Panola (Texas) Junior College and the University of South Alabama. He was one of the final cuts of the Atlanta Hawks prior to the 1988-89 campaign.

Emon74
03-17-2012, 10:22 AM
All-time highest point production by the PBA Imports.

Tony Harris - 105
Michael Hackett - 103
Tony Harris - 98
Carlos Briggs - 89
Larry McNeil - 88
Tony Harris - 87
Lew Massey - 85
Carlos Briggs - 84
Tony Harris - 82
Freeman Williams - 82
Carlos Briggs - 81
Darren Queenan - 80

the last import to have scored 60 or more points I believe was Steve Hood of Tondena in 1994, The closest in recent was Darius Rice of Purefoods who scored 56 in his debut during the 2007-08 Fiesta Cup.

frans031
03-17-2012, 03:21 PM

Tony Harris - 105
Michael Hackett - 103
Tony Harris - 98
Carlos Briggs - 89
Larry McNeil - 88
Tony Harris - 87
Lew Massey - 85
Carlos Briggs - 84
Tony Harris - 82
Freeman Williams - 82
Carlos Briggs - 81
Darren Queenan - 80

the last import to have scored 60 or more points I believe was Steve Hood of Tondena in 1994, The closest in recent was Darius Rice of Purefoods who scored 56 in his debut during the 2007-08 Fiesta Cup.

Jerod Ward of Talk N Text. He scored 61 points in his first game during the year 2001.

james_ty
03-18-2012, 07:50 AM
Petron Blaze has sent Nick Fazekas packing. Will McDonald has replaced him.

This leaves Alaska, Rain or Shine, B-Meg, Air21 and Powerade as the only teams that have not changed reinforcements.

Emon74
03-18-2012, 03:30 PM

Tony Harris - 105
Michael Hackett - 103
Tony Harris - 98
Carlos Briggs - 89
Larry McNeil - 88
Tony Harris - 87
Lew Massey - 85
Carlos Briggs - 84
Tony Harris - 82
Freeman Williams - 82
Carlos Briggs - 81
Darren Queenan - 80

Jerod Ward of Talk N Text. He scored 61 points in his first game during the year 2001.

Thanks for this info, I thought all along Hood and another Tondena import Mitchell Wiggins were the last two to score above 60 points, Strothers had a 56-point output in 1996, and I think Mobiline import Terquin Mott had one 50-point game and Shell's John Morton in 1999 also had 50. para iyon mga naalala ko mataas na puntos nalang ng mga imports from there.

frans031
03-18-2012, 05:23 PM
The ironic thing about jerod ward was his point production decreased on the succeeding games and was also sent packing. hehe

Joescoundrel
10-29-2013, 08:23 AM
Former PBA best import Cornley back in jail, accused of maltreating live-in partner

October 24, 2013, 01:07 pm

Former Governors Cup best import Jamelle Cornley is in prison for the second time in seven months.

JAMELLE Cornley is back - not in the PBA, but in jail.

The former PBA Governors Cup best import awardee was detained on Wednesday afternoon at the Women and Child Protection Center of the Quezon City Police District (WCPC-QCPD) in Camp Karingal for allegedly maltreating his live-in partner.

Inspector Djoanna Santos, deputy chief of the WCPC-QCPD, confirmed to Spin.ph that the former Rain or Shine import is under custody for violation of Republic Act 9262, or the law on violence against women and children.

“Under investigation na po 'yung kaso niya at for inquest proceedings na rin,” said Santos.

Spin.ph has also learned that so far, nobody has come to the aid of the import who at this time of the year last season had led Rain or Shine to a first-ever league championship in the Governors Cup.

Cornley, however, has worn out his welcome in the league seven months ago when he was detained for going berserk and destroying properties in a hotel in Quezon City over claims he was robbed by alleged prostitutes.

“Wala pa rin po siyang abugado. Wala pa ring napunta for him,” added Santos.
[For full story, see I am the victim here: Jailed Cornley claims apathy from hotel officials triggered outburst]

Known for his high basketball IQ, brute force and toughness underneath, Cornley returned to the Philippines after the incident but was reduced to playing in small leagues in Bulacan, Tuguegarao and other provinces.

When asked by Spin.ph why he continues to stay around, the Penn State-educated cager said he was here to take care of a business.

Despite the incident, Cornley attempted to make a PBA comeback in the Governors Cup but teams - even Rain or Shine - wouldn't dare touch him with a 10-foot pole.

Sam Miguel
10-29-2013, 09:13 AM
Despite finished business, Blakely wants to return next year

By Alder Almo

(philstar.com) | Updated October 27, 2013 - 12:57am

MANILA, Philippines – Marqus Blakely let out a scream with still few seconds left in Game Seven.

It was all the pent-up emotions that still date back to last season’s failure to capture the title.

“It’s a dream come true,” Blakely told Philstar.com after leading the San Mig Coffee Mixers to 87-77 victory on Friday night to finally earn his first PBA title.

Blakely finished with 19 points and 13 rebounds and scored the decisive baskets and the necessary stops down the stretch to upstage his counterpart Elijah Millsap, who poured a game-high 25 points.

Mission accomplished.

Blakely returned to the PBA this season with last year’s debacle as his main motivation.

“I have an unfinished business here,” Blakely would always say in interviews in the early stages of the season-ending Governors’ Cup.

But the road to redemption looked bleak for Blakely at the start as the San Mig Coffee Mixers lost three of their first four games.

But the 6-5 energetic import could not bear the pain of failing again.

He did not give up.

Blakely led the Mixers to win their next five games and wound up with a 6-3 record that was good enough to land them the no.2 spot.

In the eliminations, Blakely averaged 26 points, 16.7 rebounds, 5 assists, 1.3 steals and 2.7 blocks earning him the monicker Mr. Everything and the Best Import award.

They dodged the Alaska Aces’ upset ax then beat Meralco Bolts in the semifinals to book a return trip to the PBA Governors’ Cup Finals opposite the best team all conference long until the Game Seven.

“Playing the way we did, coming out 1-and-3 (win-loss) and starting in a hole to end up here on top is huge. I just want to thank my teammates, the coaching staff, the fans, and everybody,” Blakely said. Without them, we wouldn’t be here.

And Blakely had also his father to thank for.

Marvin Blakely, a lawyer by profession, saw his son failed last year and it was fitting that he was back to watch his son complete his unfinished business here.

“I had butterflies in my stomach with 30 seconds left,” Marvin told Philstar.com.

“And then when we were up by two 3’s (six points), I could relax and exhale. Watching him (Marqus) celebrate was a moment I’ll never forget,” Marvin added.

Marvin was behind Marqus in every step of the way. He was a fixture in the series. If he’s not busy cheering for his son, he’s holding a handycam recording every moment of his son’s basketball legacy here in the Philippines.

Now that Marqus is done with his business here, the question that is begging for an answer is will he return next year to go for back-to-back?

“Hopefully, anytime I’m free and I’m able to come back, I’ll be here,” Marqus said.

And so is Marvin, the ever supportive Dad.

“If he’s not in the NBA, he’ll be back,” Marvin said. “And if he’s back then I’m back.”