PDA

View Full Version : Updates on Leo Canuday's injury

A-boy97
08-31-2006, 08:02 PM
Hey guys, I hope your PG Leo Canuday recovers soon. Saw your game against UE on TV and I have to say, that was one of the worst sights I have ever seen. Reminds me of the Terry Saldana incident in the PBA before.

Nakakapanghina talaga yung bagsak niya. Nung pinakita sa replay, bumaliko talaga kamay niya! Sana maka-recover agad. As a basketball fan and a weekend player, you wouldn't want those things to happen to a player! Congrats pala sa panalo against UE!

jembengzon
08-31-2006, 08:13 PM
same here. hope its not serious, as he was matching up well with the ue guards. he's instrumental to your rotation, and can stay with the big atheltic guards like custodio, villanueva, and the like.

congrats on your game. Bono showed why your'e making a bid for MVP. Good games form cabahug, hugnatan and poloyapoy as well. but your biggest asset this year is coach leo austria, as he has gotten the team to belive in themselves. smart coach, great motivator :)

Lucas Palaka
08-31-2006, 08:36 PM
That was a terrible fall. All the best to Leo Canuday, may he have a swift and complete recovery. I find myself wincing at the replays.

Congratulations to the Soaring Falcons. You have a great team and a coach who never stopped believing in you.

freak
09-01-2006, 12:51 AM
I never got to finish the game.. but from the reactions here I could tell that it was really a bad fall.. hope Canuday recovers soon.. sayang masaya na sana sa win against the Warriors :(

easter
09-01-2006, 06:10 AM
Let us pray for Canuday. Hope he gets well soon and be back in the thick of things.

5FootCarrot
09-01-2006, 08:31 AM
*looks at posts on the thread* Hey, don't I know y'all from somewhere? ;D

Seriously, though, I'd just like to add my positive vibes and best wishes to Leo Canuday. I only found out this morning about his injury and the team's victory over UE (way to go on the latter). From the sounds of the posts here, I'm glad I didn't see what happened. I'm definitely not glad that it happened, though, and hope he makes a full and speedy recovery soon!

(The papers said he dislocated his elbow. How long does one need on the average to recover from something like that?)

Kid Cubao
09-01-2006, 08:58 AM
The papers said he dislocated his elbow. How long does one need on the average to recover from something like that?

if his injury will require surgery (na wag naman sana!), then it might take considerably longer than the standard six weeks for fractures and bone dislocations. add to that the therapy to restore his injured elbow's range of motion, and it might take all of six months for leo canuday to fully recover. ingat lang, bata, parati ka na lang na-i-injure.

kaybee07
09-01-2006, 09:08 AM
Hi everybody..

I'm sure Leo appreciates your concern. We will be visiting him at the hospital this afternoon so I will have more info for you guys hopefully before the end of the day. From what I have heard here at Adamson this morning, the doctors have to pop his elbow back to its original position (it's jutting out the opposite direction right now, we heard) before they perform corrective surgery on it. He will definitely be out for the rest of the year.

arjay_g
09-01-2006, 09:22 AM
I, too, saw it on tv. Napa-sigaw ako nung nakita ko yung replay. Ow, they have to pop it back into place? :o (naninindig bigla mga balahibo ko.)

Wishing a speedy recovery for Leo Canuday. We'll be praying for you.

kaybee, keep us posted ha Thanks. :)

oca
09-01-2006, 11:00 AM
Watched the 10pm replay. Nakapanghihina talaga.

Sabi ng pinsan ko, kung dislocation at walang kahit na maliit na fracture or chipped bone, mas madali ang recovery. The elbow is not subjected to the same pounding as that of the knee. Magpagaling lang ng husto, eventually parang walang nangyari.

You're still young, kid. You'll recover in no time and be back on court.

Just be patient.

Apocrypha
09-01-2006, 11:35 AM
Yes, that injury was a very nasty sight, not something you'd like to see replayed on TV. I was so distracted by the sight that I couldn't concentrate on the game right away when they resumed play. I do hope that Canuday recovers fully in as short a time as possible.

I guess this underscores how unsafe NAS is. I heard that it's concrete under the wooden floor there, and the lack of cushioning could have helped aggravate the injury.

A-boy97
09-01-2006, 12:36 PM
^ Felt the same way. Nanonood lang ako, parang feeling ko ako yung nabalian. Pang Max X yung dating.

On a side note, kudos to Coach Leo Austria. Just read his comments in the papers. He said he'd exchange the win for a loss as long as none of his players would be injured. It is very admirable. Again, winning is a great thing but it is not everything. At the end of the day, it is afterall, just a game...

kaybee07
09-01-2006, 04:31 PM
I just came from Medical Center Manila along UN Avenue where Leo Canuday is currently confined. He underwent a procedure called a closed reduction on his left elbow early this morning. Someone more familiar with medical terms can probably correct me or elaborate further on this, but from what I understood, the doctors "pushed back" his elbow bone to its proper position. His arm is currently in a cast and he said he will be discharged from the hospital tomorrow.

john_paul_manahan
09-01-2006, 04:40 PM
hope it heals soon.

this definitely puts pressure on marvin p. now, gonzalgo and yong have to step up at the pg.

5FootCarrot
09-01-2006, 06:02 PM
I just came from Medical Center Manila along UN Avenue where Leo Canuday is currently confined. He underwent a procedure called a closed reduction on his left elbow early this morning. Someone more familiar with medical terms can probably correct me or elaborate further on this, but from what I understood, the doctors "pushed back" his elbow bone to its proper position. His arm is currently in a cast and he said he will be discharged from the hospital tomorrow.

Good thing the docs popped it back into place already.

Is it known already whether he needs surgery? Sana hindi na.

pio_valenz
09-01-2006, 06:56 PM

Hi everybody..

I'm sure Leo appreciates your concern. We will be visiting him at the hospital this afternoon so I will have more info for you guys hopefully before the end of the day. From what I have heard here at Adamson this morning, the doctors have to pop his elbow back to its original position (it's jutting out the opposite direction right now, we heard) before they perform corrective surgery on it. He will definitely be out for the rest of the year.

I'm having trouble not wincing as I read these posts. Could someone just reassure me that Canuday was properly sedated during the, um, operation/procedure? I wish him a speedy recovery.

Kid Cubao
09-02-2006, 06:48 AM
oh, closed reduction ba? magaling sa ganyan si dr. nieto :)

kaybee07
09-02-2006, 01:29 PM

Good thing the docs popped it back into place already.

Is it known already whether he needs surgery? Sana hindi na.

Hi Carrot..

Leo said his arm will be in a cast for about three weeks. I guess we'll find out after that time if he still needs an operation..

5FootCarrot
09-03-2006, 08:32 AM
Hmm, maybe the fact that it's already in a cast means that surgery will not be required? ??? Oh, I don't know, I'm not a doctor :P Basta continued positive vibes pa rin to Leo and I hope he doesn't need surgery anymore.

taurus_pride
09-03-2006, 09:25 PM
hey guys! Leo Canuday had read all of the posts here. As much as he wants to personally type his gratitude for all the concern that you guys posted here, pero nahihirapan pa shang magtype gamit ang isang kamay lang. So ako na muna secretary niya, hehehe. And we want to apologize for the late updates on his condition. He just came out from the hospital yesterday afternoon and took a rest when we got home.

To give you all the information about his condition, It was a dislocation of his HUMERUS (bone of the upper arm) from the radius and ulna (bones of the lower arm). Nagkaroon ng operation pero closed lang naman. The procedure was a CLOSED REDUCTION OF THE LEFT ELBOW AND CASTING. Meaning, the humerus was mobilized to its normal position since it "popped out" (the term!) from its original place. It took 1 and a half hour to do the closed operation, and it was a success. Accdg to Dr. Napoleon Apolinario of MCM (he was the one who did the operation for Leo), naibalik na yung na dislocate na bone and merong mga konting chipped bones pero no need for any open surgery since those chipped part of the bones will grow back. As of this moment, his left arm is on cast for 3 weeks and then therapy for 2 to 4 weeks and he can start practicing na again. He is actually better now, as you can see, he was present sa game earlier vs UST (unfortunately, Adu lost) to support his team. He just felt bad kase wala shang magawa to help the team.

We would like to personally thank the people who showed their concern and took time to visit Leo in the hospital especially to his team mates and their respective girlfriends and his friends who came right after the game vs UE when Leo was still in the ER as well as after the operation. And to Coach Leo Austria and his wife, Tita Nanette, who came as well and helped Leo out to feel better. If you guys only saw how Coach Leo took care of Leo that night in the hospital, mapapabilib kayo talaga sa kanya. He was like a father to Leo... When I personally saw how coach helped Leo remove his basketball shoes and magpalit ng damit(that I know not all coaches would do), sobrang tumaas respeto namin talaga sa kanya. Really, Coach Leo Austria is one of the best thing that happened to Adamson for the longest time. Sad to say, he will be leaving Adu soon...

Again, we personally want to thank you guys for the concern. You'll see Leo Canuday soon, better and stronger!

5FootCarrot
09-04-2006, 08:25 AM
I am not surprised to hear Coach Leo personally seeing to a player's welfare. :) When he is not a coach, he's a father, and it was bittersweet to read him quoted in the newspapers after the UE game as saying that he would have traded that win to have all his players healthy.

Pasensya na ang nangungulit kaming mga Atenista rito :P I think we can't help but react to things like this because we lost an important player to injury not too long ago. (Aba, malay mo, baka mag-PBA ROY din si Leo balang araw...)

easter
09-04-2006, 02:00 PM
And to Coach Leo Austria and his wife, Tita Nanette, who came as well and helped Leo out to feel better. If you guys only saw how Coach Leo took care of Leo that night in the hospital, mapapabilib kayo talaga sa kanya. He was like a father to Leo... When I personally saw how coach helped Leo remove his basketball shoes and magpalit ng damit(that I know not all coaches would do), sobrang tumaas respeto namin talaga sa kanya. Really, Coach Leo Austria is one of the best thing that happened to Adamson for the longest time. Sad to say, he will be leaving Adu soon...

Again, we personally want to thank you guys for the concern. You'll see Leo Canuday soon, better and stronger!

In everything, God has a purpose and sometimes it is something unexpected. Itong injury na ito showed how to be a true mentor and coach to young guys in the Adamson lineup and to the whole college basketball scene. I think kahit yung ibang players ng Adamson, hindi lang si Canuday, na touch sa ginawang ito ni Austria. Ayan ang tunay na humility!

To Mr. Canuday, there will be bigger and better games ahead in your career and maybe God allowed this so that you will feel His presence more in your life. There will be better and tougher games on the court and in life Mr. Canuday.

God Bless.

kaybee07
09-04-2006, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the comprehensive update, taurus! Here's hoping for a speedy recovery for Leo. :)

Did AdU shoulder all his medical expenses? Bakit balita namin gusto pa nila idowngrade ang hospital room ni Canuday from private room to ward room? Grabe!

taurus_pride
09-06-2006, 09:27 AM
Pasensya na ang nangungulit kaming mga Atenista rito :P I think we can't help but react to things like this because we lost an important player to injury not too long ago. (Aba, malay mo, baka mag-PBA ROY din si Leo balang araw...)

Magdilang anghel ka sana 5FootCarrot! thanks!

Thanks for the comprehensive update, taurus! Here's hoping for a speedy recovery for Leo. :)

Did AdU shoulder all his medical expenses? Bakit balita namin gusto pa nila idowngrade ang hospital room ni Canuday from private room to ward room? Grabe!

Awa ng Diyos Kaybee, Yes! Adu shouldered everything. Sabi ko talaga kay Leo na we will not leave the hospital unless Adu settle everything. Makabawi man lang sa hindi pagkakalabas ng proceeds sa fund raising, hehehe.

It was painful to hear nga na the Sports Director of Adu wanted to downgrade the room of Leo to a ward room where in fact he deserves more than a private room. Halos magpakamatay na ang mga players nila tapos ganun pa maririnig mo from them, diba. That sports director didn't even manage to visit Leo after the operation. Nahiya sha sigurong humarap kay Canuday. Thanks to Bono for defending Leo (since he was the one who heard that the director wants to downgrade Canuday's room)!

LION
09-06-2006, 10:12 AM
It was painful to hear nga na the Sports Director of Adu wanted to downgrade the room of Leo to a ward room where in fact he deserves more than a private room. Halos magpakamatay na ang mga players nila tapos ganun pa maririnig mo from them, diba. That sports director didn't even manage to visit Leo after the operation. Nahiya sha sigurong humarap kay Canuday. Thanks to Bono for defending Leo (since he was the one who heard that the director wants to downgrade Canuday's room)!

Nasa tamang pag iisip ba ang Sports Director ninyo? Dapat sa kanya dun sa psychiatric ward. Sports Director pa mandin.

MonL
09-06-2006, 10:23 AM

Nasa tamang pag iisip ba ang Sports Director ninyo? Dapat sa kanya dun sa psychiatric ward. Sports Director pa mandin.

And The Man did the right thing for a fallen comrade.... !* ;D* *Thumbs up!

arjay_g
09-06-2006, 10:29 AM
sorry kung parang nangingialam ako, pero hindi ba dapat ang Sports Director pa ang nakikipaglaban para sa kapakanan ng kanyang mga atleta? :p

taurus_pride
09-06-2006, 11:42 AM
sorry kung parang nangingialam ako, pero hindi ba dapat ang Sports Director pa ang nakikipaglaban para sa kapakanan ng kanyang mga atleta? :p

actually, yes! but sad to say sha pa ang tumitipid sa players niya. baka kase nakikinabang sha sa mga pera na para sana sa mga players ng adu. I was so mad when we found out about that news. hay na lang, panu ka nga ba matutuwa kung may mga taong ganito na nagpapatkbo sa adu.