PDA

View Full Version : Classic PBA Moments

WampumTribe
08-29-2006, 12:55 AM
The Last 14 seconds of the Utex-Toyota championship (or was it 16 secs?). . .* Ginebra overcoming a 3-1 deficit versus Shell (with Distrito making a shot while falling down, and Ronnie Magsanoc’s fantastic series-long performance that earned him the title Little Big Man) . . .* The Fernandez-Jaworski play that gave the All-Star Seniors the win against the All-Star Neophytes (and of course, the famous handshake that followed). . . Crispa’s winning streak. . .* Benjie Paras’ ROY and MVP awards . . .

List your classic-slash-favorite PBA “moments.”

(”Moments” here is loosely defined: it could be a single episode of brilliance like Bal David’s dying seconds-halfcourt heave in the 1997 All-Filipino Cup; or an entire “era” as in the case of the Toyota-Crispa rivalry.)

Mel
08-29-2006, 08:06 AM
-The Joseph Yeo hit on Enrico
-Enrico's Three to win that same game
-Samboy Lim somersault
-the Jose Slaughter (Hills Bros.) shot and long game clock against Ginebra
-the Great Taste-Ginebra rumble
-Ken Redfield buzzer beater to eliminate Gordon's gin
-Limpot's first championship
-Caidic 17 triples
-Tony harris 105 pts.
-Dexter Shouse destroying the rim
-Alice Dixson (Presto muse) refusing to kiss Joe Cantada in opening ceremonies
-Carlos Briggs's scoring binges
-Billy Ray Bates' dominance
-game 7 with Allan Caidic injured in 1990 all filipino against Purefoods...Arnie Tuadles and Willie Generalao takes over.
-Red Bull first championship against San Miguel
-15-3 Conference by San Miguel en route to the ring (Stephen Howard-import)

...isip pa ako.

cub
08-29-2006, 09:45 AM
- Alaska's grandslam
- Jawo on Caidic (patay na ba?) :)
- Alaska's 4 straight governor's cup title with only one import in Sean Chambers ('94-'98)
- bal david's game winning shot that eliminated the 1st seed mobiline phone pals..

MonL
08-29-2006, 09:53 AM
Al Solis' dagger triple, followed by Frankie Lim's own counter-triple to keep the game close with seconds remaining, but Purefoods wins its first ever PBA Championship, anyway.

SMB-Ginebra/Añejo tussle where Yves Dignadice deliberately flubs his second charity shot, with SMB up by 2 with seconds left, the game seemingly secure. However, Distrito grabs the rebound, passes to a streaking Dante Gonzalgo who buries a game winning three.

Arnie Tuadles' karate chop on Leo Isaac, whch breaks Isaac's arm, and may have cost Añejo the series with Shell.

Abe King's 60 point game, and his first ever(and only) reverse dunk in the PBA.

Gilbey's Gin imports Larry McNeill and Dean Tolson combining for 89 points in their debut game, yet Gilbeys loses to Toyota by a single point. *:P

...But hey, shouldn't this be transfered to the Pro Hoops forum?

skywalker
08-29-2006, 10:18 AM
1.Crispa Redmanizers first PBA grandslam during the 1976 season. What made it more memorable was the fact that they came back from 0-2 deficit and minus their top player that time, William Adornado during the 3rd and final conference to pocket the championship and covet the league's first grandslam.

skywalker
08-29-2006, 11:00 AM
2. Crispa's amazing 19-0 start during the 1980 All Filipino championship. They were aiming for a 20-0 finish that time but was derailed in game 3 but arch rival Toyota but nevertheless they went on to finished with 20-1, a record still unmatch to this day.
3. Crispa's 2nd grandslam during the 1983 season led by Billy Ray Bates.
4. Caidic's record setting 17 triples enrout to another record setting 81 points, again, a record still unmatch.
5. Purefoods first PBA championship during the 1990 third conference. What made it truly remarkable was the manner in which they accomplished the feat. They came back also from 0-2 deficit to grab the crown. They were only the second team to come back from 0-2 deficit to win a championship after Crispa did the trick in 1976. Both teams were coached that time by Virgillio Dalupan.
6. Samboy Lim's PBA debut as a member of the Northern Consolidated Corp. during the 1985 season.
7. Nicolas Stoodley's PBA championship during the 1980 Invitational championship. They were the only foreign team to win a PBA Invitational championship.

joelex
08-29-2006, 11:03 AM
talk and text intentionally attempting 3 point shots at their own goal against red bull, even if they were up by 3 pts to force the game into ot, bec they needed to win by a specific margin to have a superior quotient.. ;D

joelex
08-29-2006, 11:07 AM
the aerial voyager meneses leading the league in both scoring and assists in a single season capped with 2 championships....art long-tony lang scuffle...red bull-smb brawl, raymundo puches dorian pena in the head...caguioa's breakout series against shell in the 2000 AFC, crossovers and stutter steps his way to lead GINebra to a finals appearance...

LION
08-29-2006, 11:40 AM
Coach Jawo's "this is you.... this is me... tira na wala ng isip isip pa" every time out. That was the same instruction that led to Rudy Distrito's famous game-winning shot. Anong binatbat ni Phil Jackson at Mike Kzyzewsky kay tatang?

Lucas Palaka
08-29-2006, 11:49 AM
The 63-point debut by Crispa Redmanizer import Billy Ray Bates in 1983. In the first half, Bates swooped and drove in to the basket and delighted the delirious Crispanatics to an unprecedented display of dunks and aerial acrobatics. In contrast, the second half saw Bates unleash a vastly different aspect of his offensive repertoire--his 3 pt accuracy. The Great Taste squad, which was bannered by Norman Black, Ricky Brown, Cho Sison, Joel Banal, and Manny Victorino, were practically on their knees begging for Bates to stop shooting. I think that was the greatest debut performance of a PBA import I've ever witnessed.

brian
08-29-2006, 12:39 PM
pwede ba isali ang pre pba era....

pagupak nina jawo, reynoso etc sa mga refs....caught live on tv.

classic talaga...i think it's about time na maulit yun he he!

btw, wampum tribe....mukhang magka-brod tayo ah

Mel
08-29-2006, 01:45 PM
...the unstoppable JB Yango
...MonFer always being traded for Abet Guidaben
...Freddie Abuda shutting down Ken Redfield and John Best
...Glenn Capacio shutting down Allan Caidic
...Choy Estrada shutting down JoLas
...Chris Jackson shutting down Nelson Asaytono
...Nelson Asaytono (1997) outsoring Sta. Lucia in the 2nd half.
...Paul Alvarez and Allan Caidic with moustache
...Benjie Paras w/ hair
...Lamont Strothers willing the Beermen against Alaska in 1998
...Sean Chambers beating Billy Ray Bates in the Slam Dunk contest
...Ed Ducut!
...Bonel Balingit magical season in 1995
...Norman Black last game as last minute replacement for their (Pop) import (1997); they won
...1997 commy cup third place game; smb vs. sta lucia; smb sits everybody incl. Jeff ward and Ron Jacobs..but still won on Arnold Gamboa's fade away.

MonL
08-29-2006, 03:40 PM
Johnny Revilla giving Jawo a takedown that can be described as the first coming of the Samboy fall. Mga UE alums pa mandin ang nagbabangasan.* ;D

Kid Cubao
08-29-2006, 03:53 PM
off topic: one urban legend has it that johnny revilla is the first and only "katutubo" to ever make it to the PBA.

MonL
08-29-2006, 04:58 PM
off topic: one urban legend has it that johnny revilla is the first and only "katutubo" to ever make it to the PBA.

OT 2: Legend has it too that he didn't mind the monicker "Nog-nog," but if you heckled him by calling him "Ita," you'd have to be prepared for a slaughter.....yours.* :D

Joescoundrel
08-29-2006, 05:16 PM
Bong Alvarez's 71 point game

Allan Caidic's 79 point game

Billy Ray Bates and Michael Hackett dominating the league in the 1986 Open Conference

Rudy Distrito's offbalance game winner against Shell in the 1991 Governor's (?) Cup Finals

Gordon's Gin finally wins a title in the 1997 Commissioner's (?) Cup Finals in the Marlou-Noli-Vince-Bal era

Crispa's second Grand Slam under Tommy Manotoc

Ginebra upsetting a much stronger Purefoods in the 1988 All Filipino Finals

Toyota-Crispa Rivalry

Ginebra-Tanduay Rivalry

Benjie Paras's rookie-MVP year in 1989

Danding's Northern Consolidated team dominating the league with naturalized Americans

San Miguel's 1989 Grand Slam

Ato Agustin becoming the first second-round pick to win the MVP award

The Jaworski-Fernandez reconciliation at the 1989 All Star game

The silver medal-winning 1990 Asian Games team

Noli Locsin grabbing an offensive board off a muffed freethrow and slamming home the recovery over Alvin Patrimonio

Back-to-back championships by Barangay Ginebra in the Siot Tanquincen era

razor
08-29-2006, 10:17 PM
...1997 commy cup third place game; smb vs. sta lucia; smb sits everybody incl. Jeff ward and Ron Jacobs..but still won on Arnold Gamboa's fade away.

I think it was a jumper from Caidic that won the game. Caidic sat out almost the entire game but was called to take the last shot.

WampumTribe
08-29-2006, 10:22 PM
Can’t remember the team Alaska was playing against, can’t remember the import Johnny Abarrientos took on, but this I remember: The Flying A flew high!

It was before the Fil-Am invasion, and in a conference with import height-limits. For practically the entire last 4 minutes of the game, Abarrientos went on a One-on-One Showdown with the aforementioned-but not named-coz not remembered-import.

Abbarrientos matched treys for treys, daredevil drives with his own dazzling drives. He even upped the ante with aerial acrobatics and an undergoal lay-up, with the import trailing in the air behind him.

The Ultra crowd and the TV audience weren’t the only ones glued to their positions. Even both players’ respective team-mates were awe-struck by the duel. And they happily obliged the spectacular one-upmanship by getting out ot the way of Abarrientos and What-The-F#@k-Was-His-Name.

Though Alaska eventually lost, Johnny A added another PTV-4 “Winning Moments” moment to his career.

WampumTribe
08-29-2006, 10:31 PM

Ito rin ba yung may "camera man" gesture si Jawo, to indicate na yung binalya nya omo-overacting lang?

pio_valenz
08-31-2006, 09:14 PM
Game 7 of the 1990 All-Filipino Finals, Presto vs. Purefoods. Up to this point Purefoods hadn't won a single PBA championship despite making the finals in several conferences. But everyone was picking Purefoods to finally win its first championship because Presto's Allan Caidic, who would go on to win that season's MVP award, was out with a broken hand for that Game 7.

But the late Arnie Tuadles played like a man possessed and dropped 33 points on Purefoods to inspire his team to a convincing 115-96 victory. Now that's what I call taking charge.

Yung 16-second comeback ng U-Tex over Toyota in the deciding Game 5 of the 1980 Open Conference is one of two games I don't ever want to watch again (the other being Game 4 of the 1987 NBA Finals between the Lakers and Celtics).

chocoks77
08-31-2006, 09:34 PM
Bong Alvarez's back-to-the-basket-3-point-jump-shot. Samboy Lim beating 3 defenders underneath the basket. Mon Fernandez's elegant shot. Barrelling drives from Jawo. Distrito's triple knee bends when he shoots his free throws. Alfie Almario's three points. Alvin Teng enforcing his will in the shaded lane. Jawo's touchdown passes. Bruise Brothers' Relosa and Villamin.

Sam Miguel
08-31-2006, 09:43 PM
The Bruise Brothers, Ricky Relosa and Yoyoy Villamin, how could I forget those two...? They were beating the crap out of the league all over the late 1980's and early 1990's. And to think those two guys were considered as career backups because they played behind legends like Ramon Fernandez and Abet Guidaben.

cub
08-31-2006, 09:48 PM

Ito rin ba yung may "camera man" gesture si Jawo, to indicate na yung binalya nya omo-overacting lang?

nope.. ito yung nabagok yung ulo ni Caidic tapos nagsuka sya, tapos may matagal na lull. pinakita si Jawo and you can read from his lips saying, "patay na ba?"

Wang-Bu
08-31-2006, 10:57 PM
Nung gulpihin nina Jawo at Big Boy 'yung isang ref.

Pero nung MICAA pa yata 'yon...

WampumTribe
08-31-2006, 11:12 PM
Game 7 of the 1990 All-Filipino Finals, Presto vs. Purefoods. Up to this point Purefoods hadn't won a single PBA championship despite making the finals in several conferences. But everyone was picking Purefoods to finally win its first championship because Presto's Allan Caidic, who would go on to win that season's MVP award, was out with a broken hand for that Game 7.

But the late Arnie Tuadles played like a man possessed and dropped 33 points on Purefoods to inspire his team to a convincing 115-96 victory. Now that's what I call taking charge.

Yup, it was supposed to be a one-sided series because of Purefoods' star-studded line-up. But nobody told that to Tuadles. Representing the PBA's Old Guard, he shamed the Young Turks, particulary Nelson Asaytono whom he kept taunting with this classic Pinoy trash talk line: "Bata ka pa, boy. Marami ka pang kakainin."

Gil_Andrews
09-03-2006, 09:15 PM
Jawo's return performance in the 4th quarter in a game between Ginebra/Anejo and the Northern Consolidated Team. After receiving an accidental elbow from Jeff Moore in the 2nd Quarter, Jawo went straight to a nearby hospital to have the cuts stitched. He went back in the 4th quarter and hit 3 three point shots for a sterling performance. He won the team for Ginebra despite the bad cut he sustained.

Anejo import Jumping Joe Ward kneeling down and saying a prayer every after game. Tapos in one game, napikon siya at pinagmumura niya ang isang player at hinahamon pa ng suntukan.

The match-ups:

Jaworski vs Soriano
Jaworski vs Atoy Co
Fernandez vs. Guidaben
Fernandez vs Cezar
Loyzaga vs Fernandez
Ducut vs Guidaben
Abe King vs Fernandez
Terry Saldana vs. Padim Israel
Magsanoc vs Calma

Wang-Bu
09-04-2006, 08:07 PM
Sa matchups wala na sigurong mas titindi pa sa Jaworski versus Fernandez nung panahong hindi nagpapansinan ang dalawa, kasi talagang personalan ang laban nun, matindi ang bangayan at ibang klase ang balyahan. Pati mga kakampi nila damay sa barugan.

Speaking of Jawo and Don Ramon, sila lang bang nakapag-fulltime na playing coach?

easter
09-04-2006, 08:36 PM
Sa matchups wala na sigurong mas titindi pa sa Jaworski versus Fernandez nung panahong hindi nagpapansinan ang dalawa, kasi talagang personalan ang laban nun, matindi ang bangayan at ibang klase ang balyahan. Pati mga kakampi nila damay sa barugan.

Speaking of Jawo and Don Ramon, sila lang bang nakapag-fulltime na playing coach?

Di ba si Norman Black naging player coach din? Tama ba?

easter
09-04-2006, 08:39 PM
Samboy Lim beating 3 defenders underneath the basket.

Ito natatandaan ko ito at Purefoods ang kalaban nito. Sumabay ata dito si Alvin, Condinera (sure ako) at isa pa na di ko na matandaan. Kung nakakabilib yung lipad ni Dr. J sa may baseline na laging pinapakita sa Solar Sports, para sa akin mas matindi ito kasi tatlo yung kinalaban niya sa ere. Yung tatlo pababa na si Samboy naglalaro pa rin sa ere.

AnthonyServinio
09-04-2006, 09:14 PM
* * *My personal PBA classic moment will always be the first time I got to watch a live PBA game.* Could not pinpoint the exact date but it was during the 1981 First Conference at the Araneta Coliseum.

* * *My father wanted to take me to a Toyota-Crispa game but since it was conceded that procuring the then hottest ticket in town would be near to impossible, we settled for the next best thing -- a doubleheader involving both teams against separate opponents.

* * *That day, Toyota survived the challenge of Finance Incorporated while the main game saw Crispa clipping CDCP in overtime.

* * *Toyota had Andrew Fields alternating with Melton Werts at the import spot (they had the handicap of fielding one import a time).* Fields was superb as usual but I remember the crowd profusely booing the bumbling Werts.* I believe management sent him packing home pronto.

* * *In between games, we managed to enter Toyota's locker and get autographs from the players.* By the way, Toyota still managed to recover with their new import Victor King and win the conference.

freak
09-05-2006, 07:34 PM
eh, yung Rudy Distrito falling-away-nearly-lying-in-the-air shot to win the Championship? Astig yun.. hehe. ;) I think it was against Shell nung nagawa nya yun, tama ba?

pio_valenz
09-05-2006, 09:10 PM
^Yup, Game 7 yun, 1991. But what I remember most was how after that winning shot, si Jawo yung binigyan ng victory ride. Si Distrito nawian mag-isa sa bench crying and celebrating by himself. :D

Mel
09-06-2006, 09:14 AM
Jervis Cole import nila nun...down 3-1 in the series tapos nakabalik....after that
long drought Tondeña franchise...1997 na ulit nasundan.

paralusi
09-06-2006, 11:38 AM
that game, when ricky relosa demonstrated his skills in basketball, boxing, and the 100-m dash, all in one game.

freak
09-07-2006, 10:50 PM
that game, when ricky relosa demonstrated his skills in basketball, boxing, and the 100-m dash, all in one game.

Isn't Ricky Relosa also famous for being the most thrown-out player in PBA history? ::) I remember him most as Alaska's defender,rebounder,stopper,bouncer,brawl starter.. ;D

wiljoe
09-27-2006, 01:21 PM
Here's a recent article on Billy Ray Bates (nicknamed "dunk" during his pro career)

Billy Ray Bates
BY DAVE FITZPATRICK

Once, Billy Ray Bates held the world in his hands as surely as he held a basketball.

After signing a 10-day contract with the Trail Blazers in 1980, the high-flying 6-foot-4, 210-pound guard slam-dunked his way into league history. During his rookie year in the NBA, he led the Blazers in scoring, taking it to the hole for an average of 25 points per game.

It was a heady time for a Mississippi farm boy, the eighth of nine children, who got his start shooting hoops at Kentucky State University, followed by the Maine Lumberjacks of the long defunct Continental Basketball Association.

Throughout 1981, Bates--nicknamed Dunk--continued his rise to stardom, thrilling fans with his aerial exploits. Then, one day in September 1982, his agent called. He'd been cut from the team.

Bates checked into a Portland hospital, where he sought drug treatment.

Bates played briefly with the Washington Bullets, before they let him go. He had a 10-day trial with the Lakers, but at 25 pounds overweight, that didn't work out either. In fact, he never played in the NBA again.

He did play for two seasons in the Philippines, where he recaptured his former glory.

"Those people, they loved me," he later told The Oregonian. "There, I was like Michael Jordan. I could have anything I wanted. All I had to do was snap my fingers. I had my own condo, my own car and my own bodyguard with an Uzi. Had to fight off the women."

It didn't last. Bates later played in Switzerland, back in the U.S with the World Basketball League, the Philippines again, a few seasons in Mexico--even a season in Uruguay. But he never seemed to prosper for long.

Bates hit bottom on Jan. 17, 1998, when he robbed a New Jersey Texaco station at knifepoint, slashing the ear of attendant Philip Kittel in the process.

The crime netted Bates a grand total of five bucks--and seven years in prison.

Today, Bates is an inmate at Hope Hall, a 164-bed halfway house for adult male offenders in Camden, N.J. During his stay, he has taken part in classes designed to mend damaged cognitive skills, ready himself for the workplace and learn how to manage his emotions.

"This is one of the best facilities for...what's the word? Recovery!" says Bates, now 48.

In the past, Bates has been vague about the root of his difficulties. In a 1992 interview with The Oregonian, for example, he denied having drug problems. But he now blames the gas-station robbery on cocaine and alcohol.

"I went to play the lottery," he says. "And that's when the devil got inside me."

According to Bates, he'd been hanging out with some younger friends that day, "trying to help them with their lives." Instead, he wound up drinking vodka, snorting cocaine, and holding up a Texaco.

"That's not my character," he explains. "I was doing cocaine and drinking."

At Hope Hall, Bates juggles church attendance, AA meetings and shifts at Aluminum Shapes, an aluminum extruder, where he readies products for shipping.

In the evenings, he studies reading and writing at Camden Community College. In fact, he says, he's written a book, Born to Play Basketball, which he hopes to publish when he's released.

But his burning ambition is to get back on the boards as a Portland Trail Blazer.

"I'm trying to reapply myself in the NBA," he explains. "I been watching for the last 15 years, and I haven't seen anyone who can put the ball in the hoop like me."

At the time of his arrest, Bates weighed only 26 pounds more than in his rookie year. "I'm in great shape," he insists. "Prison basketball is a lot more physical than the NBA. There's no whistle out there."

Though his checkered past seems in keeping with the Blazers' tarnished image, it remains unclear whether he will get a chance to don the red-and-black. Authorities peg his current release for March 23, 2005, just three days after the regular season ends.

Nevertheless, Bates is looking to the future. "I'm rehabilitated," he says. "I'm stronger than I've ever been. To all the Blazer Mania fans, I'll see you in 2005."

The 63-point debut by Crispa Redmanizer import Billy Ray Bates in 1983. In the first half, Bates swooped and drove in to the basket and delighted the delirious Crispanatics to an unprecedented display of dunks and aerial acrobatics. In contrast, the second half saw Bates unleash a vastly different aspect of his offensive repertoire--his 3 pt accuracy. The Great Taste squad, which was bannered by Norman Black, Ricky Brown, Cho Sison, Joel Banal, and Manny Victorino, were practically on their knees begging for Bates to stop shooting. I think that was the greatest debut performance of a PBA import I've ever witnessed.

vickster
09-29-2006, 10:26 PM
in the interest of parity, a rule was made stating that Fernandez, Victorino, and Guidaben could not play on the same team. quite interesting since this was unprecedented and gave the three centers a kind of status no one ever had or probably ever will have again in local hoops.

Buttah Like Parkay
10-02-2006, 01:11 PM
Wow. That's such a sad story on Billy Ray Bates.

Hopefully, he's headed in the right direction now. I doubt he'll ever play pro ball competitively again though as he's now 48.

easter
10-06-2006, 07:38 AM
Video of the 1989 All-Star Game.

http://hoopstv.blogspot.com/2006/10/pba-great-moments-1989-all-star-game.html

buko4
10-10-2006, 12:00 AM
...the unstoppable JB Yango
...MonFer always being traded for Abet Guidaben
...Freddie Abuda shutting down Ken Redfield and John Best
...Glenn Capacio shutting down Allan Caidic
...Choy Estrada shutting down JoLas
...Chris Jackson shutting down Nelson Asaytono
...Nelson Asaytono (1997) outsoring Sta. Lucia in the 2nd half.
...Paul Alvarez and Allan Caidic with moustache
...Benjie Paras w/ hair
...Lamont Strothers willing the Beermen against Alaska in 1998
...Sean Chambers beating Billy Ray Bates in the Slam Dunk contest
...Ed Ducut!
...Bonel Balingit magical season in 1995
...Norman Black last game as last minute replacement for their (Pop) import (1997); they won

hindi ba last second shot ni caidic un nagpanalo?hehe

bigfreeze_bibby
10-10-2006, 08:01 AM
Yep it was Allan Caidic who made the game winner against a Sta Lucia team bannered by Kenny Redfield. Siot Tangquincen played the best game of his PBA career in that one along with Bong Alvarez. Allan was put in the last second of the ball game to attempt the game winning jumper.

bigfreeze_bibby
10-10-2006, 08:06 AM
Video of the 1989 All-Star Game.

http://hoopstv.blogspot.com/2006/10/pba-great-moments-1989-all-star-game.html

That moment is simply priceless.

Jump_Shooter
10-10-2006, 04:37 PM
On the Fernandez-Jaworski feud during the '80s, up to now I still wonder if it was genuine or if it was just exagerrated by the PBA and turned into a storyline a la pro wrestling to generate more interest in the league. I know the two PBA greats didn't exactly see eye to eye when they were in Toyota (a case of one team not being big enough for two born leaders and superstar players), but I don't think they hated each other as much as the PBA wanted to project.

I remember the story of a college friend of mine who was a friend of one of Jaworski's kids. Sometime in the late 80s, at the height of the feud, he went to the Jaworski residence to pick up something, and he saw Mon Fernandez sitting in the sala waiting for the Big J.

Uncle Toots
10-11-2006, 10:11 AM
i think they had a major misunderstanding when the issue first erupted, which eventually led to the dissolution of the toyota franchise. but you know, being the grown, sensible men that they are, i have every reason to believe they were able to patch up their differences when they went their separate ways--jaworski to ginebra, fernandez to manila beer. that they mended their fences away from the spotlight only fueled speculations the rift has become irreparable.

WampumTribe
04-29-2007, 11:01 PM
In football, the 1974 Johan Cruyff-led Dutch team is regarded as the greatest team never to have won the World Cup.

In the PBA, Purefood's Cordinera-Patrimonio-Fernandez troika probably lays claim to the (dis)honor of being the greatest frontline never to have won a crown.

Not really a Classic Moment, but one for the trivia buffs.

lekiboy
04-30-2007, 08:50 AM
In football, the 1974 Johan Cruyff-led Dutch team is regarded as the greatest team never to have won the World Cup.

In the PBA, Purefood's Cordinera-Patrimonio-Fernandez troika probably lays claim to the (dis)honor of being the greatest frontline never to have won a crown.

Not really a Classic Moment, but one for the trivia buffs.

WELCOME BACK...wampum! tagal mong nawala a...

WampumTribe
05-03-2007, 10:50 PM
WELCOME BACK...wampum! tagal mong nawala a...

After the "End 28 at 82" saga, patapos na rin at that time ang Ramadan, so back to slave-mode.

Thanks, it's nice to be back! And by June, i'll be back in the Philippines for my annual vacation. Kahit na full-time yayo (male yaya) ako during these breaks, by hook or by crook, mapapanuod ko na rin yung Championship sa wakas!

tigerman
05-28-2007, 10:55 PM
Bal David's 2 buzzer beaters (vs. SMB and vs. TNT)
Alvin Patrimonio's marvelous perfomance vs. Gordon's Gin in the '97 all-filipino finals
The Sunkist-Alaska rivalry in the middle 90's
The Ronnie Magsanoc and Benjie Paras tandem
Bonel Balingit's magical run in the 1995 season
The aerial assaults of Noli Locsin, Bong Alvarez and Vergel Meneses
The Alaska dynasty in the 90's
The fracas in game 2 battle for 3rd place between Shell and Ginebra (if i'm not mistaken) involving Jay Mendoza and the whole Ginebra team.* ;D

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

Howard the Duck
06-04-2007, 12:25 AM
The fracas in game 2 battle for 3rd place between Shell and Ginebra (if i'm not mistaken) involving Jay Mendoza and the whole Ginebra team. ;D
hahaha i remember this... out of town game yata ito at semis...

cricohermoso
06-04-2007, 01:31 AM
The fracas in game 2 battle for 3rd place between Shell and Ginebra (if i'm not mistaken) involving Jay Mendoza and the whole Ginebra team. ;D
hahaha i remember this... out of town game yata ito at semis...

semis, 1999 All Filipino Cup. It was Teddy Valera (who?!?!) and Jay Mendoza. Haha. Ginebra was the last-seeded team in the All Filipino. Tapos yung classic twice to beat disadvantage nila against Mobiline. Pinaiyak ni Bal David si Asi nun. Unfortunately, Ginebra was swept by Shell, marred by the fracas between Jay Mendoza and Teddy Valera. Shell went on to win the All Filipino cup at the expense of new comer Tanduay.

Another classic, i think: Art dela Cruz vs. Poch Juinio, kada finals nung 1999 nag-aaway to.

Last classic: Boyet Fernandez buzzer beater against Tanduay back in 2000 McDonald's all filipino semifinals (May 31, 2000 -- I had that in my head). Tanduay swept Purefoods sa semis, kaso nirevoke yung two wins ng Tanduay wherein Tanduay fielded Sonny Alvarado. Alaska beat Purefoods in the finals. Sayang yung 2000 Tanduay team nun: Cariaso, Hatfield, Menk, Alvarado, and Allan Yu... err Jason Webb. :D

Bruticus
03-24-2008, 08:53 PM
Man, classic iyan ah. Eto pa, my friend e-mailed me this youtube link. http://www.youtube.com/user/preyes

a_ron
08-31-2008, 11:04 PM
Jayvee Gayoso 3 straight 3pts versus ALaska

bossman
09-01-2008, 11:27 PM
The Destroyer's Game winner in 1991

untamed
09-15-2008, 11:33 PM
Samboy Lim's Dare devil moves

Yung Binatukan si Ronnie Thompkins ni Relosa sabay takbo...

Yung Nagwalkout yung Ginebra... and Jawo as a player coach.

The tandem of Andy Jao and the late great Joe Cantada in the background...

1990 Phil. Team sa Asian Games coach by Jawo.

1989 Rookie Class w/c includes Benjie Paras...

1989 SMB Grandslam Team..

Crispa vs. Toyota Reunion Game. (that moment is nostalgic for a pba fan)

Emon74
09-16-2008, 03:35 PM
-Ginebra first title in 1986, hackett and bates poured champaign sa center court.
-Game 5, open finals between San Miguel and Purefoods, Guidaben and Fernandez parang batang nag aaway during the first half,
-1987 PBA/IBA slam dunk contest, bates provide laughter pagka tapos dunk ni sean chambers, tatalon at hawakan ang rim.
-alala ko 1989 purefoods-anejo na laban when jaworski and glen capacio fell on the floor, sa momentum hinatak ni jawo si glen and both their heads turn up-side-down sa hardwood.
-1989, yun fantastic dunk ni alvarez, on a behind the back pass ni ricric marata, sumabit pa mga legs ni alvarez kay dignadice.
-1992 all filipino semis, purefoods vs swift, humabol purefoods, in the last minute while dindo pumaren was going for a basket, his former teammate nelson asaytono commited a deliberate foul on him, and dindo went berserk after asaytono, nun naawat na, nelson went to dindo and embraced him, it was a touching scene for long time teammates.
1994 all filipino, nun nagpakalbo swift, una kalaban coney island, panalo sila, after the game kitang kita sa camera nag mura si chot reyes and a bald headed yeng guiao look in shock.
1995 all filipino finals game 6, meneses split second shot at the end of the 3rd.Qrt vs Alaska

some more,,,

pag nag cheer si don jaime zobel de ayala, nakakatuwa
the look on charlie favis face while on his way to the dugout when shell lost to ginebra in game 7 of the 1991 open finals

bchoter
09-16-2008, 03:43 PM

JAwo doing the "tiris" gesture. Mon Fernandez had pimples on his back daw :D

The_Big_Cat
09-16-2008, 04:02 PM
When Nelson Asaytono was still in Purefoods, he would score 20 plus points whenever they face Ginebra. Asaytono always ended up as Purefoods' top scorer aganst Ginebra.

KingRedLion
09-16-2008, 06:20 PM
it was 1987. my father took me to watch the Great Taste vs. Tanduay game in ULTRA. it was Allan Caidic's rookie season. it was my first time to watch a live PBA game. Great Taste ako, siya Tanduay. Idol ko si Caidic nun coz deadly shooter/scorer(i was wearing his Grosby Rookie of the Year shoe na high-cut) and ang lakas ng team nila nun. they had Abe King, Phillip Cezar, Atoy Co, Arni Tuadles, Bernie Fabiosa, Manny Victorino and many other notables. they were coached by Baby Dalupan & Michael Young was the import.

Tanduay had David Thirdkill, Mon Fernandez, Freddie Hubalde, JB Yango, Onchie de la Cruz and "The General" Willie Generalao.

It was a double-header with the first game featuring the future Superstars of the PBA, yung National Team nila Benjie Paras, Ronnie Magsanoc, JoLas, Jerry Codinera & Alvin Patrimonio. Philippine team vs. Hills Bros. with Ricky Relosa, Yoyoy Villamin(the Bicolano Superman) -- dubbed as the Bruise Bros. & if i recall correctly, Hills Bros. won in a blowout.

Main game. The whole game was close, with both teams going neck-to-neck and back-and-forth with the lead. Walang gustong kumurap. I remember having heard for most of the game na puro announcement ng coliseum barker na "Young, 3 pts!", & "Caidic, 3 pts!". then came the dying seconds of the game with 14secs left, bola ng Tanduay, with Great Taste in the lead by one. last play of the game & the Coffee Makers played good defense until Willie Genreralao swooped in a runner that tickled the twine as the buzzer sounded. All the people around me rose from their seats, including my Dad, shouting and cheering in joy! I remember I was the only one seated in the gallery with my jaw dropped in disbelief. sa replay, nadaanan pala kami ni erpats ng camera kitang-kita that he was celebrating & I in dismay. my first basketball heartbreak ika nga. ang sakit! but it made me the basketball fanatic that I am.

Another one i remember till now is how Samboy Lim drove to the basket(it was SMB vs. Purefoods game) & tumama yung ulo niya sa forearm ni JoLas sabay umere ng napakataas, like a backflip then dropped in the baseline face and shoulder first. on the replays halos tumama siya sa backboard when he flipped.

Glenn Capacio's scoring rampage vs Ginebra(?) where they were down by as much as 25pts & hinabol nila and they won the game.

Allan Caidic's 79pt, 17 3pt shot conversions with the franchise using Presto Tivoli. if i'm not mistake it was a game against Shell(?) & as a trivia, his wife was in the hospital at that time giving birth to their first child, a daughter i think, & on the 17th trey that he made, coincided with the birth of their child at the same time! Astig no?

Who could forget the PBA in-game coliseum music na ala orchestra? yung every shoot it goes "ten ten ten ten ten, ten ten ten tenenen ten...." & the tune na pag nag free throw ginawan ng lyrics na "Buti na lang tanga!" Classic! to this day i actually prefer that over the music sa games ngayon.

Ang pinakaaabangan pag halftime or in between games na Norman Black's Burlington basketball tips.

Bobby Parks forever import ng Shell. So was Sean Chambers for Alaska.

Basketball players in movies like Patrimonio, Codinera & Alvarez in Last Two Minutes, a Christmas day offering that had them paired with Ruffa Gutierrez, Aiko Melendrez and Carmina Villaroel; Cameos in a FPJ film where PBA players were taxi drivers; Ginebra players classmates of Aiza Seguerra in a comedy film "Parks, pork."

The SMB Grand Slam.

Jawo taunting Shell(?) in a championship series where he was looking up mockingly wondering what the celebratory balloons are for in the coliseum ceiling & they extended the series.

The Ginebra/Añejo walkout during a game(championship?) against Shell.

Joe Cantada and the Alice Dixson "no-kiss" incident.

Tony Harris 100+ pt game( & Ilonah Jean na rin!)

Yung mga player, particularly si Jawo, huling-huli sa TV na minumura mga refs. ;D

When Kaypee was the hottest shoe in town being endorsed by Alvin Paatrimonio.

isip pa ako....

¡ánimo San Beda!

Emon74
09-16-2008, 10:13 PM
it was 1987. my father took me to watch the Great Taste vs. Tanduay game in ULTRA. it was Allan Caidic's rookie season. it was my first time to watch a live PBA game. Great Taste ako, siya Tanduay. Idol ko si Caidic nun coz deadly shooter/scorer(i was wearing his Grosby Rookie of the Year shoe na high-cut) and ang lakas ng team nila nun. they had Abe King, Phillip Cezar, Atoy Co, Arni Tuadles, Bernie Fabiosa, Manny Victorino and many other notables. they were coached by Baby Dalupan & Michael Young was the import.

Tanduay had David Thirdkill, Mon Fernandez, Freddie Hubalde, JB Yango, Onchie de la Cruz and "The General" Willie Generalao.

It was a double-header with the first game featuring the future Superstars of the PBA, yung National Team nila Benjie Paras, Ronnie Magsanoc, JoLas, Jerry Codinera & Alvin Patrimonio. Philippine team vs. Hills Bros. with Ricky Relosa, Yoyoy Villamin(the Bicolano Superman) -- dubbed as the Bruise Bros. & if i recall correctly, Hills Bros. won in a blowout.

Main game. The whole game was close, with both teams going neck-to-neck and back-and-forth with the lead. Walang gustong kumurap. I remember having heard for most of the game na puro announcement ng coliseum barker na "Young, 3 pts!", & "Caidic, 3 pts!". then came the dying seconds of the game with 14secs left, bola ng Tanduay, with Great Taste in the lead by one. last play of the game & the Coffee Makers played good defense until Willie Genreralao swooped in a runner that tickled the twine as the buzzer sounded. All the people around me rose from their seats, including my Dad, shouting and cheering in joy! I remember I was the only one seated in the gallery with my jaw dropped in disbelief. sa replay, nadaanan pala kami ni erpats ng camera kitang-kita that he was celebrating & I in dismay. my first basketball heartbreak ika nga. ang sakit! but it made me the basketball fanatic that I am.

Another one i remember till now is how Samboy Lim drove to the basket(it was SMB vs. Purefoods game) & tumama yung ulo niya sa forearm ni JoLas sabay umere ng napakataas, like a backflip then dropped in the baseline face and shoulder first. on the replays halos tumama siya sa backboard when he flipped.

Glenn Capacio's scoring rampage vs Ginebra(?) where they were down by as much as 25pts & hinabol nila and they won the game.

Allan Caidic's 79pt, 17 3pt shot conversions with the franchise using Presto Tivoli. if i'm not mistake it was a game against Shell(?) & as a trivia, his wife was in the hospital at that time giving birth to their first child, a daughter i think, & on the 17th trey that he made, coincided with the birth of their child at the same time! Astig no?

Who could forget the PBA in-game coliseum music na ala orchestra? yung every shoot it goes "ten ten ten ten ten, ten ten ten tenenen ten...." & the tune na pag nag free throw ginawan ng lyrics na "Buti na lang tanga!" Classic! to this day i actually prefer that over the music sa games ngayon.

Ang pinakaaabangan pag halftime or in between games na Norman Black's Burlington basketball tips.

Bobby Parks forever import ng Shell. So was Sean Chambers for Alaska.

Basketball players in movies like Patrimonio, Codinera & Alvarez in Last Two Minutes, a Christmas day offering that had them paired with Ruffa Gutierrez, Aiko Melendrez and Carmina Villaroel; Cameos in a FPJ film where PBA players were taxi drivers; Ginebra players classmates of Aiza Seguerra in a comedy film "Parks, pork."

The SMB Grand Slam.

Jawo taunting Shell(?) in a championship series where he was looking up mockingly wondering what the celebratory balloons are for in the coliseum ceiling & they extended the series.

The Ginebra/Añejo walkout during a game(championship?) against Shell.

Joe Cantada and the Alice Dixson "no-kiss" incident.

Tony Harris 100+ pt game( & Ilonah Jean na rin!)

Yung mga player, particularly si Jawo, huling-huli sa TV na minumura mga refs. ;D

When Kaypee was the hottest shoe in town being endorsed by Alvin Paatrimonio.

isip pa ako....

¡ánimo San Beda!

Great posts sir,

me, nag start ako watch a PBA game live in 1988 nun bago ang purefoods, I was there in the opening when joe cantada was about to kiss Great taste muse alice dixson at nun umiwas sa alice, joe kiss philip cezar instead, that tanduay-great taste game, ang galing buzzer beater ni willie generalao with 3 ticks left, early in the first half great taste got a big lead and young was trying to impress his former coach tito eduque who was sitting at ringside.

-that was game 5 of the 1990 finals when jawo look at the rafters sa mga balloons ng shell
-mga bands noon like the SMB bilmoko music the best talaga during san miguel's grand slam year, unlike now ang sagwa pakinggan mga naririnig sa big dome.
-add ko pa sa PBA moments si abe king hinahanap yun bola only to find out hawak na pala ng ref to the laughter of the crowd.

bchoter
09-19-2008, 01:43 AM
Nikki Coseteng slaps a referee after her team, Galerie Dominique lost in controversial fashion to the history seeking Crispa Redmanizers

JayMDee
10-16-2008, 11:16 PM
Does anyone remember this? In 1977 or 78, nag rumble yung crispa-toyota players. The players ended up in jail overnight.

bchoter
10-17-2008, 12:36 AM
^ Headliner sa lahat ng broadsheets! That's why I always associate PBA with thte Daily Express because that's where I saw those pictures on the front page.

Was Jesus Sta. Maria the player who grew his hair long like Jesus?

munkybear
10-17-2008, 12:57 AM
newbie here, ok thread na to kasi astig yung PBA dati, lalo na pag sunday games sa ultra.

hindi ito classic moment pero ang unang naaala ko sa PBA eh yung injury ni Samboy Lim kalaban Purefoods. 6 palang ata ako nun and first time kong nakakita ng injury sa tv. nag drive si Samboy tapos 4 ata na purefoods players ang sumabay sa kanya, Patrimonio, Codinera, nakalimutan ko yung pangatlo, tapos si Jolas. ang sama ng bagsak ni Samboy nun kasi parang dumapa siya sa ere tapos una ulo ang pagbagsak. nung replay nakita na sa 4 na sumabay si Jolas yung nakahawak sa bola kaya ganun yung bagsak ni Samboy. eh paborito ko si Jolas noon kaya medyo malungkot ako kasi si idol yung may kasalanan.*

The_Big_Cat
10-17-2008, 10:13 AM
^ Headliner sa lahat ng broadsheets! That's why I always associate PBA with thte Daily Express because that's where I saw those pictures on the front page.

Was Jesus Sta. Maria the player who grew his hair long like Jesus?

Dalawa lang naman na broadsheet na popular during those days. The Daily Express and Bulletin Today.
The Daily Express was sequestered after Marcos fled. While Bulletin Today is now the present Manila Bulletin.

The_Big_Cat
10-17-2008, 10:16 AM
Does anyone remember this? In 1977 or 78, nag rumble yung crispa-toyota players. The players ended up in jail overnight.

This was in 1977 All Filipino Conference. It was after the game that the melee began. Kahit sa may pulis na, sige pa rin ang suntukan ni Mon Fernandez at Atoy Co. Dinala sila sa Philippine Constabulary HQ sa Camp Crame.

emorej
10-19-2008, 11:56 AM
Here are my list of classic PBA moments:

1. Bal David's buzzer beater from midcourt
2. Bal David's buzzer beater this time against Mobiline, ito yung rookie palang si Asi. Umiyak si Asi after that game.
3. Rudy Distrito's game winning shot against Shell
4. Allan Caidic's record settign 17 3pt shots
5. 2nd MVP award ni Benjie Paras, it showed na kayang sumabay ng mga Pinoy sa mga Fil-Ams.

a_ron
11-09-2008, 01:57 PM

2. Bal David's buzzer beater this time against Mobiline, ito yung rookie palang si Asi. Umiyak si Asi after that game.
3. Rudy Distrito's game winning shot against Shell
4. Allan Caidic's record settign 17 3pt shots
5. 2nd MVP award ni Benjie Paras, it showed na kayang sumabay ng mga Pinoy sa mga Fil-Ams.

And receives his trophy together with Jackie Foster...

Emon74
05-18-2009, 10:23 AM
when our all-PBA team grabbed the silver medal in the 1990 Asian Games, pag dating dito when introduced sila sa ULTRA prior to the second game, all the players, including assistants Norman Black and Rino Salazar got loud cheers from the fans, it was a proud moment for all filipinos, si Jaworski ang last na tinawag and he gave high fives to each members of the all-pro national team.

fujima04
05-18-2009, 04:00 PM

Ito ang classic talaga para sa akin.

I remember this is a game against SMB (ouch!). In the dying seconds (10 seconds I think), Ginebra is leading by a point expecting SMB will just go for game-winning 2-point shot or fish a foul. All of a sudden, Mike Mustre threw a 3-pointer that went in with 3.2 (or 3.8) seconds left.

Then Bal David went coast to coast, threw up a prayer on the right hand side of the court that went in.

sa_pula
05-18-2009, 07:09 PM
classic din yung game ng ginebra vs purefoods kung saan twice to beat ang purefoods..nanalo ang ginebra via turnaround buzzer beater shot ng isa sa mga under rated players pero import defender na si ronald magtulis (ala tubid ngayon ng ginebra)..

pepman
05-18-2009, 10:40 PM
when our all-PBA team grabbed the silver medal in the 1990 Asian Games, pag dating dito when introduced sila sa ULTRA prior to the second game, all the players, including assistants Norman Black and Rino Salazar got loud cheers from the fans, it was a proud moment for all filipinos, si Jaworski ang last na tinawag and he gave high fives to each members of the all-pro national team.

Ganyan talaga kung great ka ano?

sa_pula
05-30-2009, 07:34 PM
Classic din yung laro ng tnt at pf kagabi. pati na rin yung "ang b-o-b-o ko!" -mac cardona after ma foul si raymundo sa 3-point line ;D

Emon74
03-17-2010, 11:39 AM
1989 first conference, Alaska-Presto Game 3 battle for third place, alala ko nun 3rd quarter, naging habit kasi ng Alaska noon ang full-court press starting their KO game against Anejo where bogs Adornado was ousted as coach, the Presto team fell into trap sa 3rd.quarter humahabol Alaska, una pang dunk ni Paul Alvarez, full-court press, steal bigla dunk si Sean Chambers, then steal again and Paul Alvarez dakdak ulit, 3 consecutive dunks, bilib na bilib ang mga crowd, hanga ko kay Mr.Excitement pang NBA dating, and he stands only 6 feet.

'87 first conference, start ng semifinals, game between Great Taste and Ginebra, dalawa lang talo ng GT before that, both losses by 1 point against Tanduay, Ginebra was coming off a six-game winning streak, hanggang sa huli close ang laro lumamang Ginebra 119-118 on two free throws by Hackett, di nag timeout Great Taste mga 20 seconds nlng ata yun, boo-boo ang hiyawan ng crowd and si Joey Carpio na stripped yun bola sa kanya nag dive mga players sa ball as the buzzer sounded, kala ko may jumpball pa, the referee had to signal its over, Joey Loyzaga had to free himself sa mga players on the floor and raised his hand, 7-straight win na ng Ginebra, I would envision that scene from the jampacked crowd palakpakan, 1 point ulit talo ng powerhouse Great Taste, ang first game dun Tanduay-Magnolia, ang ganda din Fernandez and Guidaben were into several ugly plays sa 4th quarter, at the end nanalo Tanduay by 10 points, 101-91, di nakita sa TV pero binanggit lng ng commentators, Fernandez offered to shake his hand but Guidaben ignored, di siya pinansin and the fullhouse crowd react. ang nakita ko si Ricky Cui na nag pacify kay Fernandez.

2nd playdate ng semifinals, battle of first day winners, Ginebra vs Tanduay, after three quarters lamang Tanduay 84-77, pero si Jaworski wala pa puntos starting the 4th quarter, naka dalawang triples, Ginebra na lamang ng 7 points sa 4th. 99-92, bawi Tanduay 8-0 run, until Jaworski 3-point shot ulit, lamang Ginebra 104-102 when si David Thirdkill nag fancy pass pa ala jawo daw, sobra weak naagaw, from there talo na Tanduay, ang last play on a fastbreak while Chito Loyzaga goes for a layup, a hard foul was commited by Itoy Esquerra, sinapak sa mukha si Chito, Loyzaga suffered a black eye but still managed to shoot two free throws to settle the count, 110-102. Jaworski finished with 9 points, best player of the ballgame, tatlo treys lng ginawa nya all in the 4th period. 8-game winning streak na ng Ginebra. sayang may contra-pelo lang sila nun panahon na yun (MAGNOLIA)

genom222
03-29-2010, 10:52 PM
Most of the classic PBA moments I remember were the games I saw live. The first ever live game I saw was in 93 or 92 I think, buzzer-beater 3 of Fran Pumaren to lift San Miguel against Shell (not sure) During early 2000 naman buzzer-beater 3 of Kenneth Duremdes to beat Purefoods (sabay tingin ng maangas sa bench ng PF with a cleched fist) And last but not the least, I was also there during the Henry James half court buzzer-beater in the Cuneta vs Shell, late 90's ata ito.

Jeep
04-19-2010, 05:14 PM
is there some way solar can produce a vintage-PBA program much like the NBA hardwood classics on BTV? masarap panoorin yan.

and while they're at it, they can throw in the UAAP 1987 and 1988 finals series for good measure. ;)

Emon74
01-17-2011, 05:46 PM
-The Joseph Yeo hit on Enrico
-Enrico's Three to win that same game
-Samboy Lim somersault
-the Jose Slaughter (Hills Bros.) shot and long game clock against Ginebra
-the Great Taste-Ginebra rumble
-Ken Redfield buzzer beater to eliminate Gordon's gin
-Limpot's first championship
-Caidic 17 triples
-Tony harris 105 pts.
-Dexter Shouse destroying the rim
-Alice Dixson (Presto muse) refusing to kiss Joe Cantada in opening ceremonies
-Carlos Briggs's scoring binges
-Billy Ray Bates' dominance
-game 7 with Allan Caidic injured in 1990 all filipino against Purefoods...Arnie Tuadles and Willie Generalao takes over.
-Red Bull first championship against San Miguel
-15-3 Conference by San Miguel en route to the ring (Stephen Howard-import)

...isip pa ako.

Pwede na counted as the longest games ang nangyari doon, delayed nga lang, it was Shell vs Tanduay, few minutes left before halftime when Shouse' powerful dunk, muntikan na bumagsak ang goal, what I remember most was when they are trying to fix it, because of the long drought, may nahanap sila someone to entertain the crowd at the ULTRA, a circus guy with his bicycle na pagkalaki laki ng gulong, doing his act riding and shooting/dunking the ball habang paikot ikot sa court, and he even pick up a kid from the stands para sumakay, then made a gesture sa crowd while holding that kid on the back of his head "ang baho daw" to the laughter of everyone inside the venue ;D

when game resumes, natakot na si Shouse dumakdak on an open fastbreak, but the crowd keep howling na mag dunk siya ulit and he did.

1999 Governors Cup, San Miguel 14-4 with Lamont Strothers as their import.

james_ty
01-18-2011, 10:11 AM
Crispa vs. Toyota Reunion Game. (that moment is nostalgic for a pba fan)

I bought the DVD of that game and I enjoyed it. Sev Sarmenta, BTW, was the barker.