PDA

View Full Version : Vote for your All-time Greatest UAAP Men's Basketball Team

babyfaced1
08-28-2006, 02:35 PM
Ey folks,

Which UAAP Champion Team do you think is the greatest of all time?
Now you've got a voice in this...
GamePlan is taking a survey on who the public thinks is the Greatest Men's
Basketball Team of All Time.

Email your picks at greatestever@gameplan23.com
Please state the school of your choice, their championship year and a short reason for your choice.

Only one vote per email address counts.

Survey Ends September 10, 2006

Thanks!!!

Watch GamePlan on Studio23 130pm
www.gameplan23.com

full battle gear
08-29-2006, 12:46 PM
UST is UAAP’s all-time best in basketball

By Manolo Iñigo
Inquirer
Last updated 06:33am (Mla time) 08/28/2006

Published on page A31 of the August 28, 2006 issue of the Philippine Daily Inquirer

I WAS ASKED recently by the hosts of GamePlan to rank the greatest UAAP basketball teams of all time as part of their Sunday telecast of the ongoing 69th season of the University Athletics Association of the Philippines.

I knew my ranking would elicit a lot of diversified replies, especially from the loyal followers of the member-schools, but I am prepared to welcome their views.

After sorting out what was left of the UAAP records -- most of which were either lost or burned during the Pacific War -- and asking the experts to help me make my decision much easier, I came out with a ranking of the top UAAP basketball teams which figured prominently since the league was founded on Sept. 27, 1938: University of Santo Tomas, Far Eastern University and University of the East.

The holders of 17 UAAP cage titles, the UST Growling Tigers -- then known as the Glowing Goldies -- topped my list based on their strong showing, particularly during the pre-war years, the 1940s and until the mid-60s and early 70s.

Roberto Yburan, Renato Reyes, Danny Florencio, fleet-footed Val Rosabal and Eddie Pacheco were familiar names. UST also dominated the UAAP cage wars in the 1990s, winning four straight championships from 1993 to 1996 under coach Aric del Rosario.

Several UST players represented the Philippines in the Olympics, World Basketball Championship and the Asian Games. Ramon Manulat and Nap Flores played with the Philippine team which placed third in the world cagefest in Rio de Janeiro in 1954 under coach Herminio “Herr” Silva. In the National Open, UST won in 1937, 1940 and 1941. Two of its most outstanding players before the UAAP era were Primitivo “Tibing” Martinez and Jacinto “Jumping Jack” Ciria Cruz, who were both enshrined in the Hall of Fame together with fellow Thomasians Fely and Gabby Fajardo.

When the UAAP resumed in 1946, UST won all its games to capture the championship again. Among the members of the team were Ramoncito Campos Jr., Francisco Nepomuceno, who became a congressman and governor of Pampanga; Valentin “Tito” Eduque and Julian Malonso, a retired colonel who served as president of the Philippine Olympic Committee in 1980.

The runner-up was FEU, my No. 2 choice in the ranking.

Among the members of the team were Luis Tabuena; the Araneta brothers, Marciano and Manolet, who became a member of the Philippine team to the 1948 London Olympics; Jose “Peping” Gochangco, who played in the 1952 Helsinki Olympics; and Virgilio “Baby” Dalupan, who later moved to UE where he became its director of physical education and coach of the Red Warriors, the most dominant UAAP team in the 1960s until the early 1970s, winning seven straight championships from 1965 to 1971.

The Tamaraws were the first UAAP champions in 1938.

It is now the winningest school in the league with 19 titles tucked under its belt. FEU contributed players to the Olympics, Asian Games and ABC (Asian Basketball Confederation) tournaments: Manolet Araneta, Andy de la Cruz and Edgardo “Ding” Fulgencio (1948 London Olympics), Meliton Santos and Jose Gochangco (1952 Helsinki), Gerry Cruz (1960 Rome) and Engracio “Boy” Arazas, Manny Jocson and Arturo Valenzona (1964 pre-Oympics in Yokohama, Japan). Bayani Amador represented FEU in the 1954 world championship.

Other standouts were Johnny Abarrientos, who donned the colors in the 1998 Bangkok Asiad and Herminio “Togay” Astorga, who shone in both the NCAA and UAAP in the 1950s. In 2003, the Tamaraws, handled by coach Koy Banal, beat the Ateneo de Mnila University Blue Eagles and repeated in 2005.

UE also made my list. The Red Warriors, under legendary coach and Hall of Famer Dalupan, won a total of 18 UAAP basketball championships, winning seven straight titles from 1965 to 1971.

It won its last UAAP crown in 1985. UE contributed a lot to the country’s Olympic, Asian Games and ABC campaigns. Among the Warriors who became household names in the 1950-1960 eras were Constancio Ortiz Jr. and Roehl Nadurata, who became a councilor in Caloocan City and presently a member of the Red Bull coaching staff. Other UE notables included Allan Caidic, Jerry Codiñera, Jimmy Mariano and Robert “Sonny” Jaworski, the “Living Legend” who became a senator. Jaworski boasts an impressive record in the hard court for more than three decades in both the defunct Manila Industrial Commercial Athletic Association and the PBA.

He retired in 1999 at the age of 52, “the oldest man ever to play pro basketball anywhere in the world,” according to avid sports fan Paul Mortel.

Mel
08-29-2006, 03:50 PM
In recent memory, it would have to be a toss up
between the:

-93 USTGrowling Tigers - league bullies
-97 FEU Tamaraws - depth at every position
-99 DLSU Archers - if only for the Dino Aldeguer shot
- 2002 Eagles - 4-5 record to start the season...made the front page in most newspapers

bluebruiser90
08-29-2006, 07:11 PM
FEU '82 with Williams, Capacio, Codinera and their version of the sweep.

Ateneo '88. Had their key players stayed their full five years (Jay Gayoso left after his second year in '88, Jett Nieto opted out of his 5th year to commence his MD studies, Alex Araneta underloading his enrolled units during his only 5th year semester and Danny Francisco retiring even before reaching his collegiate prime with illness), the Blue Eagles would have preceded UST and La Salle with their own version of the Fourpeat.

The grand slam seeking Eagles would practically have the same line-up for the 1989 season plus a rookie Ritchie Ticzon. The '89-'90 Ateneo team finished third behind La Salle and FEU who clashed in the finals in the pre-Final Four UAAP. The '90-'91 team would lose Jun Reyes, Nieto, Araneta, and Seph Canlas but could still go for a title with Francisco et al. The undersized team of Olsen Racela, Eric Reyes and an already prolific scoring sophomore Ticzon gave the the season's title finalists UE and La Salle a good scare and crashed out of the championship picture in a knockout game with the Warriors of Ferdinand Ravena and Jolly Escobar.

Lost dynasty days.

Mel
08-30-2006, 08:39 AM
I guess any championship before 1986 would be somewhat half-baked
because of the absence of either Ateneo or DLSU from the league....biased..hehe.

Sam Miguel
09-13-2006, 06:54 PM
The Jaworski teams of UE.

The Florencio and Adornado teams of UST.

The 1987 and 1988 Ateneo teams of Jun and Eric Reyes.

The UST teams of the Espino-Reyes-Evangelista era.

The DLSU teams of Allado and Ritualo.

The FEU teams of Abarrientos and Pablo.

Howard the Duck
09-15-2006, 10:42 PM
I guess any championship before 1986 would be somewhat half-baked
because of the absence of either Ateneo or DLSU from the league....biased..hehe.

Ateneo entered in 1978
La Salle entered in 1986