PDA

View Full Version : the 2006 world basketball championships thread

Kid Cubao
08-14-2006, 09:29 AM
the 2006 world basketball championships will be held in japan starting this saturday, august 19th. here are the groupings:

group A:

argentina
france
lebanon
nigeria
serbia & montenegro
venezuela

group B:

angola
spain
germany
japan
new zealand
panama

group C:

australia
brazil
greece
lithuania
qatar
turkey

group D:

china
italy
puerto rico
senegal
slovenia
united states of america

for all discussions on the game, please post it here.

CM_Punk
08-14-2006, 10:15 AM
I watched some of the exhibition games the past few days on Solar Sports and Star Sports.

USA is a good and deep team, but they seem to be lacking outside shooters, like a Redd or Kobe. But any team with Lebron, Wade, and Melo is still one dangerous team. I can see them playing in the Finals.

Team Brazil is very competitive, especially with their 2 NBA players in Varejao and Barbosa, plus forever draft prospect Tiago Splitter. They came very close in defeating the US a few days ago.

My favourite team to watch is the Spanish team, who just went undeafeated in the Singapore Cup exhibition, and just demolished Argentina in the final game. The Gasol brothers, Navarro, Calderon, Garbajosa, Sergio Rodriguez, and "Da Boy" Rudy Fernandez are one solid team, and should also be considered favourites in the tournament.

Although Argentina* had a terrible game against Spain, it is not an indication of their talent level. I am certain that they will get their act together by this week in Japan, especially with Ginobili as their leader, and talent in Nocioni, Scola, and Oberto.

Mel
08-14-2006, 10:22 AM
Somehow I feel Bruce Bowen was injected in the team just to guard Manu.

Yet, the last 2 cuts should be him and Shane.

Kid Cubao
08-14-2006, 10:32 AM
i think group C is the "group of death" because they're all so evenly matched as compared to the other groups. spain is just so smoothly orchestrated by point guard juan carlos navarro. however, the underlying storyline of team USA, which is their quest for lost glory, is quite compelling and makes for great drama in the worlds.

Mel
08-14-2006, 10:37 AM
For group C.. count the Aussies and Qatar out

Kid Cubao
08-14-2006, 01:38 PM
i'm willing to go out on a limb and say that the united states is the favored team to win it all this year. coach mike K (not allan K) has shown that he has the respect of his star players by buying into his defensive philosophy of all-out pressure from the get-go. observers, on the other hand, have agreed there are five teams that can keep the US from bagging the 2006 worlds. these are argentina, france, germany, serbia and montenegro, and spain.

Mel
08-14-2006, 02:06 PM
Llamado talaga US.
But I think Coack K wants to keep it low to avoid the pressure that many
unsuccessfull so-called "dream teams" had in the past.
I still like their chances...this commitment to defense and team-first philosophy
will go a long way in next week's tournament.

by the way,
Who are you going to cut, Kid Cubao?

Kid Cubao
08-14-2006, 02:25 PM
if it were me, i'm not inclined to cut any member of the US team after they sacrificed their offseasons for this. instead, i'd name them as alternates who should be ready to see action when any of the regulars becomes unable to play. under FIBA rules, you can name a lineup that exceeds the 12-man roster just as long as you only play a maximum of 12 players each game.

bigfreeze_bibby
08-14-2006, 02:42 PM
If I am not mistaken, the final lineups that will be submitted to FIBA should be only 12 players so there will be players who'll get cut.

Kid Cubao
08-14-2006, 02:50 PM
hmmm, talagang inoobliga na pala nila na mag-submit ng 12-man roster ang bawat team? :) dati hindi ganyan, may mga nagsa-submit ng 18-man lineup basta ang usapan ay 12 lang ang pwedeng naka-uniporme tuwing laro.

as far as who's gonna get cut, i don't know. hard decision even for me.

Mel
08-14-2006, 02:59 PM
Yun din pagkaalam ko..heard news that coach K will name the 2 cuts very soon.

bigfreeze_bibby
08-14-2006, 03:26 PM
Sana hindi masama si Bruce Bowen. He can be used as a perimeter guy on offense and a defensive stopper of the best guard/forward player of the opposing team. Pero mahirap ngang decision na mag-cut ng players from the current 14 players that coach K has brought along in their overseas trip.

Sam Miguel
08-14-2006, 05:12 PM
USA Basketball isn 't a sporting body, it's a soap opera.

After a sixth place shellshocking in the 2002 Worlds in Indiana, and a bronze in the 2004 Athens Olympics, American basketball has been written off by many people. NBA legend Charles Barkley's words at the Atlanta games in 1996 seem prophetic: the rest of the world has indeed caught up with the game that America made popular. After the 2002 US Team got the shit kicked out of it in the Worlds won by Serbia and Montenegro, the blame and the badmouthing flew thick and fast. Now under the direction of Jerry Colangelo and Mike Krzyzewski the Americans are looking to set things to rights. they put together a training camp in Nevada and have put together a program that commits several of the NBA's best players until the 2008 Olympics in China.

But can they actually do it?

Stay tuned.

pio_valenz
08-14-2006, 05:21 PM
Somehow I feel Bruce Bowen was injected in the team just to guard Manu.

Yet, the last 2 cuts should be him and Shane.

I read somewhere that the most-anticipated one-on-one match-up at the Worlds will be Bowen vs. Ginobili. These two guys have been going at it for years during Spurs practices, and they will finally go head-to-head on a public stage. Pero yun nga lang, if you base it on the playing time of recent Team USA matches, Bowen is definitely in the bubble. But Chris Bosh seems a bit lost, too.

joelex
08-14-2006, 10:57 PM
although i love upsets, I think this time i would want the US team to win it all....being an NBA fan, it is kind of weird that when NBA season comes, i realize the superstars of the NBA, like James and Wade, cant dominate international play despite their astronomic salaries and status...and they are playing against players who arent in the NBA...kind of confusing as a fan...and when they win it, medyo babalik na yung talagang passion in watching the NBA knowing these guys are definitely the best and at the same time deserve all the praise they get..

chocoks77
08-14-2006, 11:34 PM
Injury Forces Gilbert Arenas Out Of Contention
For USA World Championship Team

August 14, 2006 • Seoul, Korea

A groin strain suffered during practice has forced USA finalist Gilbert Arenas home and out of contention for the 2006 USA World Championship Team. (Photo: Guang Niu/ Getty Images Sport

USA World Championship finalist Gilbert Arenas (Washington Wizards) suffered a groin strain during the USA's practice Monday which will force the 6'4" guard to withdraw from contention for the 2006 USA Basketball Men's World Championship Team, USA Basketball Senior National Team Managing Director Jerry Colangelo announced today.

"We know Gilbert is really disappointed, he's done a great job. It's an unfortunate situation but he is not going to be able to continue on. We're concerned because he has had a history regarding groin pulls. This is a precautionary move but it is important that he return home and get treatment," said Colangelo.

Arenas strained his groin Monday morning during the team's training at Camp Yongson outside of Seoul.

Arenas played in all four USA pre-World Championship exhibition games,started once, and averaged 3.8 ppg., 2.3 rpg. and 11.0 minutes a game.

The 13 remaining finalists contending for the 12 man 2006 USA Basketball Men's World Championship Team roster include: Carmelo Anthony (Denver Nuggets); Shane Battier (Houston Rockets); Chris Bosh (Toronto Raptors); Bruce Bowen (San Antonio Spurs); Elton Brand (Los Angeles Clippers); Kirk Hinrich (Chicago Bulls); Dwight Howard (Orlando Magic); LeBron James (Cleveland Cavaliers); Antawn Jamison (Washington Wizards); Joe Johnson (Atlanta Hawks); Brad Miller (Sacramento Kings); Chris Paul (New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets); and Dwyane Wade (Miami Heat).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So there, 13 players remain. Who are you going to cut? Ako, I will cut either Antawn Jamison or Chris Bosh.

bigfreeze_bibby
08-15-2006, 07:40 AM
It will be a tough decision to make between Jamison and Bosh since both players are versatile in terms of their playing positions. Jamision can play the 3 and the 4 spots while Bosh can play the 4 and the 5. If we'll take a look in the team USA's current roster (the 13 man posted by chocoks77), I think they lack presence in the 4 and the 5 spot since the legit big men that have in that roster are Elton Brand and Brad Miller.

There is somewhat an overload already in the 2-3 spots. Going back to Jamison, the good thing about him is that he can play big man role in defense and play a wingman role in offense due to his athleticism to go for dribble penetrations and take the outside shot (he can even make the three balls) unlike Bosh whom I think will be limited to play offense/defense for both 4 and 5 spots.

I may sound contradicting here since in one of my previous posts, I am rooting to include Bruce Bowen in the final 12-man lineup but for now, looking at the team's roster, I am picking between Shane Battier and Bruce Bowen to be the guys who'll get cut. Why? I just feel that they are the persons overloading the wing positions. Both of these guys are good shooters, scrappy, and are hustlers on defense. The only edge Battier has is his capability to penetrate the basket and create his own shot.

Kid Cubao
08-15-2006, 07:49 AM
tama ka, bigfreeze. kung may matatanggal, it'll be from among those who play the guards and small forward spots. based on the lineup posted by chocoks, the one that hardly made an impression on me is joe johnson of the atlanta hawks. guys like antawn and shane battier can readily take his place without the team losing a beat.

bigfreeze_bibby
08-15-2006, 09:24 AM
tama ka, bigfreeze. kung may matatanggal, it'll be from among those who play the guards and small forward spots. based on the lineup posted by chocoks, the one that hardly made an impression on me is joe johnson of the atlanta hawks. guys like antawn and shane battier can readily take his place without the team losing a beat.

I think what will make JJ indispensable in the 12 man lineup is his versatility to bring down the basketball. He can play 1, 2 or even 3 unlike Battier or Bowen who are more of "forwards".

oca
08-15-2006, 10:37 AM
The past debacles of Team USA only showed that the game, at international play, has evolved into a truly team game. An All-Star team of NBA players is no longer enough to guarantee gold medal finishes. Hindi pwede yung parang magpa-party ka. Send out invitations, regardless who shows up, tuloy ang party. Hindi na pwede yan. Dapat planado lahat, right from the start. May preparasyon, ika nga.

With the steps taken by Basketball USA to regain what they think is rightfully theirs and if they do win this time, it will validate what we the elder generations know and what the younger ones should learn - this is a team sport.

I am not really a big NBA fan, but reading all about how different the manner this Team USA was formed compared to the teams that came after the "Dream Team", I hope they do win.

But I never like the chances of a team who cannot shoot well from the outside. Mapa-barangay man o mapa-collegiate, even more so in int'l play. Though they have compensated well with defense, still in a close end game, lamang pa rin and may outside shooting.

At tulad na marami sa inyo, matiyaga kong susubaybayan ang torneong ito. Buti rin at dito lang sa karatig bansa natin gaganapin ang kampeonato, hindi natin kailangan magpuyat ng hanggang madaling araw.

NCAA tuwing Wed at Fri. UAAP sa Thu/Sat/ Sun. Dalawang lingong puyatan pagdating ng katapusan... Hindi ba tayo ma-impatso nito?

Mel
08-15-2006, 10:51 AM
But come to think of it..the losing teams in the recent Olympics and last world championships
did not have the true "best" of the NBA.

Kid Cubao
08-15-2006, 11:32 AM
the key to international success is finding the best players who would blend together to create the most cohesive unit. of course, the talent of a lebron, melo, or dwyane is highly welcome, but sheer talent will have to take a backseat to complementary skills :)

that's the reason why i am inclined to drop joe johnson from the roster as the final cut. he didn't strike me as a player who can complement the other four at this point. sure he has ballhandling skills, but practically everyone in this lineup can cross up to midcourt with the ball. he would have been a big boost, though, if he were the consistent outside threat to free up the likes of elton brand and dwight howard, but his shooting deserted him in the WBC run-up. carmelo was a far better shooter than joe johnson. he's shaping up as my final cut, but frankly, i would have wanted him to stay on.

bigfreeze_bibby
08-15-2006, 11:35 AM
In terms of shooting, I think team USA can shoot the lights out anywhere especially that the three point region is nearer than that of the NBA range. The problem really is the cohesiveness and chemistry of the team setting up plays in order for the players to get free and set up to make their perimeter shots.

Mel
08-15-2006, 12:06 PM
So wala palang teamwork yung dream team 1 and even 2....did they simply
rely on individual skills?* * * *

dream team 1 has larry and magic..plus stockton..the most unselfish players in the world.
the case of dream 2 was the US supplying pure intimidation..remember this was the
crotch grabbing team of Shawn Kemp and the brashness and physicality of Zo...
...the 92 and 96 olympic team had barkley, who incidentally was the leading scorer for both teams...
no big man in the world was quick enough and no guard was strong enough to guard him...
his mere presence was a factor ...and with larry/magic/stockton finding him, it was easier.

...the present NBA slew of superstars can still win (KG,AI, TMAC,Shaq, Duncan)...if they put their mind and soul to it.
add Shaq to this Japan bound team and it immediately changes everything.

bigfreeze_bibby
08-15-2006, 02:18 PM
Mel, my post refers to this current crop of team USA players. I believe that LeBron, Carmelo, Wade, and the others are capable of making the three ball or the perimeter shot. Magkakatalo na lang talaga siya sa mga execution ng plays on setting up guys to take and make the open jumper.

I can say that the opponents of Dream Team's 1 and 2 still lack the awareness and skill in terms of playing the game that's why the USA got a big advantage in terms of beating their opponents black and blue. Maybe sme would be correct in saying that the opponents of Dream Team's 1 and 2 are still in the state fascination relishing a dream come true playing against present and future basketball greats.

But now that most people have seen European players and other nationalities develop awareness in the game. Nasasabi na rin nila sa sarili nila na "kaya din naman pala natin eh" and slowly, they have developed their confidence and know how in playing the game while the USA got over confident. They got used to this notion that they can beat everybody and it will just a simply walk in the park for them but unfortunately, they got a rude awakening.

Mel
08-15-2006, 05:05 PM
...to paraphrase an article I read this morning. the gap between the USA and the
world is getting narrow, but it is still wide enough for you to insert the Grand Canyon.

ang yabang nung writer.hehe.

pio_valenz
08-15-2006, 05:26 PM
^I read that article, but I think he used "tank" instead of Grand Canyon". :) But I have to agree that talent-wise, the USA still has the best players by a mile. But since in basketball the whole is always greater than the sum of the parts (except in the cases of Dream Teams 1, 2 and 3), a well-conditioned, well-trained team of Argentinians or Serbs will always have a good shot at beating a hastily assembled USA All-Star team unfamiliar with both each other and with international rules.

easter
08-15-2006, 05:53 PM
At tulad na marami sa inyo, matiyaga kong susubaybayan ang torneong ito. Buti rin at dito lang sa karatig bansa natin gaganapin ang kampeonato, hindi natin kailangan magpuyat ng hanggang madaling araw.

NCAA tuwing Wed at Fri. UAAP sa Thu/Sat/ Sun. Dalawang lingong puyatan pagdating ng katapusan... Hindi ba tayo ma-impatso nito?

Hindi po, tayo pang mga pinoy na laging gutom sa basketball. Kahit ano pa yan basta basketball welcome sa pinoy kaya galit na galit ang mga soccer fans eh. :D

freak
08-15-2006, 07:55 PM
^^ oo nga.. ung world cup eh once every four years.. tapos ung premier cup at spanish league sa cable lang.. buti nalang mahilig din ako sa basketball hehe ;D ;D

..going back to the topic, Arenas is the first one to be dropped from team USA's lineup due to injury.. so that means coach K needs to cut only one player.. Antawn Jamison's my bet.. wala talagang "position".. siya ung tweener sa team

Mel
08-16-2006, 08:12 AM
In his defense, Jamison can pose many mismatches. He is quick at the 4 position and
tall at the 3 position...remember, he was 4th in the league last year in most # of 20-10 games, w/c
means he can rebound.

...the minus for him is that he's from UNC ...in a team w/ many Dukies incl. the coach.

Joescoundrel
08-16-2006, 07:56 PM
I'd cut Bruce Bowen.

No offense (and no pun intended considering his defense) but there are a bunch of guys on this team who bring more to the table than he can, especially on the offensive end. Chris Bosh is a necessity given the dearth of legit bigs in this pool, so he's going to stay. His mindboggling zero rebounds effort in one of the tuneup games notwithstanding.

Antawn Jamison is underrated on the rebound and - as stated above - create mismatches especially against the more traditional 3 and 4 players. He has range all the way out to the international 3-line, he can put the ball on the floor without embarassing himself, and he comes from a good program that even mike Krzyzewski respects. And since he's a Tar Heel, Coach K already knows what he's getting.

Bowen on the other hand may be useful now, but will definitely be too old for the 2008 Olympics. I'd rather go for guys who have a legit chance of making it all the way to Beijing a couple years from now.

Jaco D
08-16-2006, 10:17 PM
...the minus for him is that he's from UNC ...in a team w/ many Dukies incl. the coach.

Please refresh my memory:* Aside from Coach K, who else has a direct or indirect link to Cameron Stadium?

Joescoundrel
08-16-2006, 11:07 PM
Jaco, Shane Battier is from Duke.

MonL
08-17-2006, 01:36 PM
I'd cut Bruce Bowen.

He was. Battier's in.

freak
08-17-2006, 07:47 PM
I'd cut Bruce Bowen.

He was. Battier's in.

hmm.. not much of a surprise then.. i was considering Jamison and Bowen.. since marami "nagdefend" kay Jamison ;D.. kaya I was leaning more to Bowen being cut.

pio_valenz
08-17-2006, 08:56 PM
So wala na yung dream match-up ni Bowen against Ginobili. Tapos si Tony Parker mukhang hindi makakalaro because of an injury. Mag-ingat dapat si Ginobili. You know what they say about those things coming in threes.

CM_Punk
08-17-2006, 10:55 PM
Wala na si Tony Parker? Well, there goes the hopes of France for FIBA.

Elton Brand is another Duke product, aside from Battier on team USA.

gameface_one
08-18-2006, 07:54 AM
Spurs' Bowen out of US squad for World Championships
abs-cbnnews.com

LOS ANGELES - San Antonio's Bruce Bowen was axed from the USA team for the Basketball World Championships when coach Mike Krzyzewski announced the final roster on Wednesday.

Bowen, 35, was the final player cut as the team finalized their preparations in South Korea for the start of the tournament in Japan on Saturday.

Superstars LeBron James of the Cleveland Cavaliers and Dwyane Wade of the Miami Heat headline the final roster for the Americans.

Joining the high-flying James up front will be Denver Nuggets swingman Carmelo Anthony, Toronto Raptors forward Chris Bosh, Orlando Magic center Dwight Howard, Los Angeles Clippers forward Elton Brand, Sacramento Kings center Brad Miller, Houston Rockets forward Shane Battier and Washington Wizards swingman Antawn Jamison.

Wade will be flanked in the backcourt by New Orleans Hornets point guard Chris Paul, Chicago Bulls guard Kirk Hinrich and Atlanta Hawks sharpshooter Joe Johnson.

Guard Gilbert Arenas of the Washington Wizards was forced to leave the team after suffering a groin strain during practice on Monday.

Center Amare Stoudemire of the Phoenix Suns left Team USA on August 3 to continue to rehabilitate his surgically-repaired knees.

"This has been a great process, it's difficult especially when you get down to the end because you get so attached to the last members of the team," Krzyzewski said.

"Gilbert and Bruce are every bit a part of this team as the 12 others guys, it's just we can only go forward with 12." AFP

Buttah Like Parkay
08-18-2006, 02:12 PM

What makes you so sure to count Australia out? Although i'd admit that the team is young and hasn't had much time to gel yet, the talent is there. The problem is inexperience. If the young guys can stay composed in pressure situations, Australia is very well capable of pulling upsets.

Brazil (aside from the US game) and Lithuania didn't look too hot in the exhibition games i've seen. Greece can be a formidable team if they can play like they did in Euro 2005, but in truth, they're inconsistent and beatable. Qatar is hot garbage anyway and shouldn't be considered in any discussions.

In all honesty, Group C is the most wide-open. All 4 teams have legit shots at advancing. I'm hoping Australia can be one of them.

kryptonite
08-19-2006, 03:34 AM

France's Tony Parker might miss their first game not the whole competition.

kryptonite
08-19-2006, 05:08 AM

France's Tony Parker might miss their first game not the whole competition.

My mistake....

San Antonio guard Parker out of worlds

August 18, 2006

SENDAI, Japan (AP) -- San Antonio Spurs guard Tony Parker will not play for France in the world championship after being diagnosed with a broken finger.

Parker, who injured his finger in an exhibition game against Brazil on Tuesday in China, had X-rays on his right index finger on Thursday in Japan and was informed Friday it's broken.

He practiced Thursday with his finger bandaged and was in some pain," said Fabrice Canet, the team's press officer. "He wanted to stay but will return to the United States at the request of the Spurs."

Cliff Puchalski, a Spurs spokesman, said Friday the team would have no comment until team doctors could look at Parker's finger.

"It really is very disappointing and tough to swallow because I felt in great shape before I got hurt against Brazil," Parker said on the international basketball federation Web site. "If I play hurt, I may not be helping my team so I can't be selfish and decide I want to play just for myself.

"And of course I also have to consider what the San Antonio Spurs staff would say about it if I decided to go ahead and play. If I aggravated the injury I could be out for up to three months. I don't think that would be a good idea."

France will open the world championship Saturday against Argentina. Parker will be replaced on the roster by Mamoutou Diarra, Canet said.

gameface_one
08-19-2006, 09:29 AM
James, Wade and Anthony named US captains at world hoop event
abs-cbnnews.com

SAPPORO, Japan - LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony, who played on the 2004 US Olympic team, and Dwyane Wade of the National Basketball Association champion Miami Heat were named US World Championships captains.

The trio, all among the top five selections in the 2003 NBA Draft, will try to spark the Americans back to the top of the basketball world when the 24-nation event begins Saturday in Japan.

James and Anthony spent most of their time on the bench in 2004 watching more senior NBA talent struggle to a bronze-medal finish.

"To not have had the best experience in 2004 and to now be the captain on the 2006 World Championship team, well, this means a lot," James said.

"I'm very excited about being a captain because I am a leader. It's a big responsibility for us three being captains and going out and representing our country in the right way."

During a 5-0 exhibition run in world championship warm-ups, the three were the top US scorers. Anthony averaged 16.8 points while "King James" averaged 15.8 points and Wade added 12.2 points and 4.0 assists.

"It was a pretty easy decision to select those three guys," US coach Mike Krzyzewski said. "From the very start they have asserted themselves and showed leadership through how hard they worked, their cooperation and the fact that they wanted to be like everyone else.

"They didn't come in as stars; they came in as members of the team. Everyone looks up to them and they look up to them even more now because they have set such a good example."

Wade helped the Heat win an NBA title in just his third season after being selected fifth overall in the 2003 draft.

"For us to be named captains and to help lead the way means a lot to us," Wade said. "Being a captain means being a leader at all times, when things are great and when things are bad - always being a leader."

This figures to be only the beginning for the trio of leaders, likely to be the heart of the US 2008 Beijing Olympic squad.

"Myself, LeBron and Dwyane are honored," said Anthony. "We're experienced. We know what we have to do to succeed. I know it means more responsibilities, so we have to go out there and take care of business on and off the court."

The US team begins round-robin group play against Puerto Rico here Saturday.

cub
08-19-2006, 06:48 PM
USA 111
Puerto Rico 100
Final

Buttah Like Parkay
08-19-2006, 07:00 PM
WHAT DID I TELL YOU ABOUT AUSTRALIA?

AUSTRALIA 83, BRAZIL 77

Good first win...should've closed it out better but that's a big upset by what many consider a medal favorite

gameface_one
08-20-2006, 12:27 PM
US opens strong, Aussies shock Brazil in world basketball
abs-cbnnews.com

SAPPORO, Japan - Carmelo Anthony and LeBron James lifted a favored US squad through early struggles to beat Puerto Rico while Australia took a stunning upset over Brazil to open the World Basketball Championships.

Anthony scored 21 points while James and Kirk Hinrich each added 15 for the American collection of National Basketball Association stars Saturday in a 111-100 victory over a Puerto Rico team that led 24-23 after the first quarter.

"We sat down after the first quarter and said if we want to win the game we better get after it on defense," Anthony said. "From the second quarter on, our defense was good. No panic. We know we can score. We want to win with defense."

Australia's CJ Bruton scored 16 points and Sam Mackinnon added 15 as the Boomers beat Brazil 83-77, taking down a squad with NBA star Leandrinho Barbosa that came within four points of the US stars in a pre-tournament exhibition.

"It's a huge, huge win for Australia," said jubilant coach Brian Goorjian.

"The keys were CJ Bruton with the ball, which neutralized Barbosa, and our defense stood strong for most of the game. This is very important for us and will give us momentum and confidence."

While the Americans claimed the edge in Group D and the Aussies surged atop Group C, Germany and Lebanon were doing the same in their six-team clusters, from which four teams each will advance to the knockout rounds a week from now.

Dallas Mavericks star Dirk Nowitzki pumped in 27 points to spark the Germans past host Japan 81-70 in Group B while Fadi El Khatib scored 35 points and center Joe Vogel added 26 points as Lebanon downed Venezuela 82-72 in Group A.

Japan fell behind 34-20 in the first quarter but refused to surrender to Nowitzki and company.

"They never gave up. They kept fighting. We expected them to be very motivated but we were impressed with how they made our life difficult," Germany coach Dirk Bauermann said.

"They were very mobile and made very good three-point shots."

Lebanon went on a 12-0 run over a five-minute period late in the game to open up a 72-67 lead with just over a minute remaining, and Venezuela could not come within four points after that.

"In the first half they played great defense and denied me the ball," said El Khatib. "But we stepped up the pace in the second half so I was running the court and taking the open baskets."

AnthonyServinio
08-21-2006, 04:04 PM
USA* * * * * *111
Puerto Rico 100
Final
* * *I still submit that Puerto Rico is the stongest and most powerful team in this year's Worlds.* A team with the likes of ARROYO and RAMOS plus ANGELO REYES is indeed very powerful!* *:D :o

chocoks77
08-21-2006, 08:45 PM
Just a curious thing...just saw the uniform of Spain today, they have a San Miguel logo on the lower front part of their jerseys just below the name of their country, do you think this is our San Miguel Beer or Corporation sponsoring their team?

easter
08-21-2006, 08:58 PM
In case you want to watch some video highlights of games not shown in the Philippines, you can get them at the link below. I will constantly update the specific post as new video clips comes along so bookmarking it would be good.

http://hoopstv.blogspot.com/2006/08/world-basketball-championship.html

Kid Cubao
08-22-2006, 06:16 AM
Just a curious thing...just saw the uniform of Spain today, they have a San Miguel logo on the lower front part of their jerseys just below the name of their country, do you think this is our San Miguel Beer or Corporation sponsoring their team?

yes, indeed that's the san miguel logo proudly emblazoned on the bottom part of their jerseys :)

san miguel beer is bottled and distributed in europe and africa by a large european conglomeration in food, beverage, and dairy products. forgot the name that was mentioned to me by canmaker.

the escudo is unmistakeable. when you see that logo, you are also reminded of the official seal of the city of atienza, este, manila ;D

gameface_one
08-22-2006, 07:42 AM
Spain shames Germany in battle of titans
abs-cbnnews.com

HIROSHIMA, Japan - Spain outdueled Germany, 92-71, in a battle of titans and US-based stars Monday, booking their third straight win and a ticket to the knockout stages at the World Basketball Championship.

It was a sweet revenge for Spain, which lost to Germany in the semi-finals of the European championships last year and in a last-eight clash at the 2002 world championships in which the Germans won the bronze.

Jose Calderon, a forward with the Toronto Raptors in the National Basketball Association, scored a game-high 20 points for Spain, followed by teammates Juan Navarro at 19 and Pau Gasol, a center with NBA's Memphis Grizzlies, at 16.

Both European powerhouses went into the Group B game 2-0 and Calderon and Juan Navarro combined for 16 points as Spain led Germany 26-22 after the first period.

Neither German Dirk Nowitzki of the NBA's Dallas Mavericks nor Gasol, both towering at seven feet (2.13 meters), came often to the firing line in the opening quarter but guard Demond Greene led Germany's scoring.

Nowitzki came alive in the second period, helping cut the deficit by five points to a six-point game at 32-38 with a field goal and a free throw.

But Calderon helped the Iberians pile up points with two shots in the final minutes to secure a 48-41 lead at half-time.

Gasol hit the basket in the third period with three shots and a free throw while Nowitzki sank a 3-point jumper as the gap widened into two digits again to 72-60.

Gasol opened the final quarter with a two-pointer and Rudy Fernandez shot from outside the arc, putting Spain ahead at 80-66.

Spain kept up the momentum and, after both Gasol and Nowitzki retired to the bench in the closing minutes, added points to end 92-71.

gameface_one
08-22-2006, 07:43 AM
Serbians snap drought in World basketball romp
abs-cbnnews.com

SENDAI, Japan - Reigning champions Serbia and Montenegro kept alive their hopes of reaching the final round of the World Basketball Championships here Monday, defeating Lebanon, 104-57, in Group A play.

Orlando Magic center Darko Milicic had his best outing yet, scoring 20 points, all in the first half against the smaller Lebanese.

Forward Ognjen Askrabic also contributed 14 points for the winners, while guard Uros Tripkovic and Miroslav Raicevic both scored 13 for the Serbians, who shot 68 percent from inside the arc and 12 for 20 on three pointers.

After losses earlier to Nigeria and France, the defending champions must now win one of their final two matches against either Venezuela or Olympic champions Argentina to advance to Saturday's knockout stage.

Lebanon was led by Fadi El Khatib with 12 points while Brian Feghali contributed 11.

The Lebanese team had to literally evacuate from their national training facilities as Israel launched its massive missile attack on Hezbollah positions in their country on July 12, making their preparations difficult.

After surprising Venezuela on the opening day of the tournament, Lebanon must now beat either France or Nigeria in order to bring some joy to their war torn homeland by reaching the knockout rounds. AFP

Mel
08-22-2006, 08:06 AM

What makes you so sure to count Australia out? Although i'd admit that the team is young and hasn't had much time to gel yet, the talent is there. The problem is inexperience. If the young guys can stay composed in pressure situations, Australia is very well capable of pulling upsets.

Brazil (aside from the US game) and Lithuania didn't look too hot in the exhibition games i've seen. Greece can be a formidable team if they can play like they did in Euro 2005, but in truth, they're inconsistent and beatable. Qatar is hot garbage anyway and shouldn't be considered in any discussions.

In all honesty, Group C is the most wide-open. All 4 teams have legit shots at advancing. I'm hoping Australia can be one of them.

A pleasant surprise that Australia is winning their early tournament games...I thought
the glory days of Australia were over with the retirement of Andrew Gaze and
Luc Longley and with the way their Melbourne Tigers
were upset by our very own National Team at the Araneta Coliseum
...I forgot all about Andrew Bogut.

CM_Punk
08-22-2006, 09:26 AM
The backcourt duo of Calderon and Navarro really carried Spain over Germany, even with Pau Gasol sitting out most of the first half due to foul trouble. Calderon was just too fast for the German guards, and Navarro kept on hitting all his outside shots. Good defence was also played on Dirk, who couldn't get his offensive game going.

I was also wondering about that San Miguel logo on their jerseys, so thanks Kid Cubao for the answer* :)

easter
08-22-2006, 04:17 PM
To those who want to watch Australia, Solar Sports is now showing their game against Greece right this very moment. Live pa!

Ok talaga Solar Sports! 8)

easter
08-22-2006, 05:25 PM
Grabe yung panalo ng Greece! 6 points in the last 16 secs! Panalo by three points. Too bad for Australia sinayang nila mga freethrows nila!

pio_valenz
08-22-2006, 07:27 PM
While watching the Spain-Germany game last night, the commentators mentioned Rudy Fernandez, one of Spain's players just as my wife was walking by the TV. She snapped her head towards the TV and exclaimed, "Si Rudy Fernandez naglalaro??" :D

mvfciii
08-23-2006, 06:27 AM
nice defensive effort by the USA vs slovenia. a far cry from their pathetic defensive stance vs puerto rico.

by the 4th quarter 23 turnovers na slovenia compared to 8 by the US.

tough test later when they face italy

Lucas Palaka
08-23-2006, 07:30 AM
While watching the Spain-Germany game last night, the commentators mentioned Rudy Fernandez, one of Spain's players just as my wife was walking by the TV. She snapped her head towards the TV and exclaimed, "Si Rudy Fernandez naglalaro??" :D

Balita ko ang palayaw nya'y "El Daboy" ;D

Buttah Like Parkay
08-23-2006, 08:58 AM
A pleasant surprise that Australia is winning their early tournament games...I thought
the glory days of Australia were over with the retirement of Andrew Gaze and
Luc Longley and with the way their Melbourne Tigers
were upset by our very own National Team at the Araneta Coliseum
...I forgot all about Andrew Bogut.

When was the game against Melbourne?

Seriously, Australia should be at least 2-1 right now.

SMH at not being to hold on against Greece last night. That was heartbreaking. I was quite certain that the guys would hold on but unfortunately, nerves and inexperience got in the way again. I'm not even gonna talk about the game against Turkey. If you can't hold on to a 14 pt lead, you don't deserve to win. The loss of Chris Anstey prior to the tourney is really starting to show. Other than Bogut, there is no other bigman on the team that's a legit threat.

The good news is that, one more win would probably be enough to make the next round given that Brazil has sucked. I like the team's chances against Lithuania, they just need to close well. And no way should they lose against Qatar.

Regardless, the futre is bright. This experience will only bode well for the young players on this team. Bogut, Newley, & Bruce among others will all be with the team in the future. Not to mention 17 year old Patrick Mills who was the training with the team prior to the WCs will be better in a few years time.

BTW, is it just me or has the refs sucked in this tourney so far? The Aussie-Greece gae was so poorly officiated and incredibly inconsistent with the calls.

Hoops McCann
08-23-2006, 11:53 AM
greece sits atops the standings in group C with a 3-0 standing and a +28 point differential. on the other hand, australia is already 1-2 and a -5 point differential. after their latest loss to greece. their lone win was against brazil, 83-77, while their other loss came at the hands of turkey, 76-68. australia's next opponent is lithuania today, which also carries a 1-2 record but a heftier +34 point differential.

Kid Cubao
08-23-2006, 12:49 PM
the US team assembled for this year's worlds is a far cry from the one assembled in 2004 and coached by larry brown. under duke head coach mike krzyzewski, this team is playing to its strengths--its depth and athleticism is way above the competition. it is divided into two five-man units, each playing 5-minute segments before substituting. expert commentators say this is done in order to allow team USA to apply maximum defensive pressure and dictate the pace that it wants.

excellent point guard play also spelled the difference for the team. chris paul, for instance, has already 26 assists but ony three errors throughout three victories. this means they are moving the ball around and spotting the open man.

another big factor is the presence of assistant coaches who know how the international game in and out. mike d'antoni of the suns is considered the head coach for the offense, while jim boeheim, syracuse head coach and the architect of the 2-3 zone widely used throughout the rest of the world, is in charge of all things zone (offense and defense). if you notice, team USA's big men can all run despite having only one pure post player--elton brand.

Kid Cubao
08-24-2006, 09:18 AM
a tale of two teams. the USA team in the first half was a listless bunch of underachieving, overpaid pros that were beaten off the break and stymied in halfcourt sets by a determined italian squad. this US team scored only 36 points to italy's 45 at the end of two quarters, during which they trailed by as much as 12 points because of their opponent's quickness and crisp execution.

however, the USA team coming off the halftime break was a polar opposite of the lineup that began the game. the biggest adjustment coach K made was to put the big three (melo, lebron, and dwyane) together to start the 3rd quarter. together with elton brand and superb point guard chris paul, the US squad unleashed their vauned defensive intensity that just took the italians off their rhythm, making them rush their shots just a bit faster than in the first half. it was a heated match as well--matteo soragna elbowed carmelo anthony in the chest and was whistled for it. wade was seen jawing with fabio de bella a number of times.

this victory enabled team USA to clinch group D, allowing them to avoid argentina and spain until the finals, assuming the americans will make it to the finals. i think they will.

easter
08-24-2006, 10:02 AM
Lebanon Beats France 75-74!

Mel
08-24-2006, 10:15 AM
..so by transitivity, we can beat France.. Haha.

easter
08-24-2006, 10:24 AM
^He he Mel di naman sa ganun siguro we can at least be competitive. Wrote about it in my blog.

Kid Cubao
08-24-2006, 11:14 AM
france's hopes plunged like an anchor after tony parker broke his finger and declared unfit to play in this year's worlds. try as they might, le bleu can't get their vaunted running game going without him at the point.

Buttah Like Parkay
08-24-2006, 06:06 PM
After tearing Qatar a new one today 93-46, and coupled with a 79-74 Brazil loss to Lithuania, Australia clinches a spot in the next round.

kryptonite
08-24-2006, 11:40 PM
Fearless Prediction to reach the finals: USA vs ARG. Semis: ARG-ESP and USA-GREECE

easter
08-26-2006, 04:07 PM
Very heartbreaking loss by Italy to Lithuania. Italy missed 6 of 7 freethrows in the final 10 secs of the game. Lithuania also didn't do pretty well with missing 4 straight freethrows in nthat span of time but they had a crucial tip to get a 3pt lead.

Ang saya ng World Basketball!

Mel
08-26-2006, 10:30 PM
Italians might as well try penalty kicks from the FT line....
More of less no bearing na rin kasi yung game for them cause
they are a lock for the 2nd spot na yata sa Group D.

CM_Punk
08-26-2006, 11:16 PM
Spain just beat up on Serbia and Montenegro, advancing to the next round. I can see them on a collision course against Argentina, who probably will want to avenge their loss against the Spaniards in the Singapore exhibition.

oca
08-28-2006, 08:43 AM
Italians might as well try penalty kicks from the FT line....
More of less no bearing na rin kasi yung game for them cause
they are a lock for the 2nd spot na yata sa Group D.

Wasn't that a knock-out game?

Kid Cubao
08-28-2006, 09:16 AM
china got a royal drubbing from greece, losing 95-64, at the worlds. after a sluggish 1st half, greece surged ahead with a 26-6 spurt in the 3rd quarter to advance to the second round and eliminate yao ming and his crew from contention. the european power is among the unbeaten teams together with the united states, spain and argentina who will be seeing action in the playoffs starting wednesday. abangan ang US-germany matchup sa myerkules :)

gameface_one
08-28-2006, 09:50 AM
US routs Australia
mb.com.ph

All-star team faces Germany next

SAITAMA, Japan (AP) — The United States cruised into the quarterfinals of the basketball world championship Sunday. Germany had to fight for every point.

Carmelo Anthony scored 20 points as the United States smothered Australia in the second quarter to run away to a 113-73 the second round victory.

Joe Johnson added 18 points, and Dwyane Wade had 15 for the Americans, who allowed only two baskets and six points in the second period en route to a 30-point halftime lead. The U.S. shot 54 percent from the field, including 14-of-27 from 3-point range, and led by as many as 42 points.

``This team really cares about U.S. basketball and playing the game the right way,’’ said U.S. forward Shane Battier. ``We’re focused on playing with each other instead of against each other, that’s what the coach preaches and we’re having a lot of fun doing it.’’

The U.S. (6-0) advanced to a quarterfinal matchup Wednesday against Germany, which beat Nigeria 78-77 in the first game of the day behind 23 points from Nowitzki, the All-Star forward from the Dallas Mavericks.

Andrew Bogut, the No. 1 pick in the 2005 NBA draft who just completed his rookie season with the Milwaukee Bucks, led Australia with 20 points. But after a strong start, he was scoreless for a stretch of more than 15 minutes, when the Americans outscored the Australians 45-14.

The Australians (2-4) came in seeking to control the tempo, and they did a good job of it for most of the first half. Their problem was in making shots.

Bogut scored nine points in the first five minutes, hitting a 3-pointer to give the Australians a 1514 lead with 5:07 left in the first quarter.

Australia was within two points after Brad Newley’s dunk with 1:41 remaining in the first quarter. But by the time C.J. Bruton made the next one, the Australians had gone nearly 9 minutes without a field goal as the Americans broke the game open.

``Any time you get out of your group and face the U.S. its tough,’’ said Bogut. ``Once they got those big dunks and fast break shots the crowd got behind them, the shackles were off and it was pretty much over.’’

Leading 27-23 after one, the U.S. outscored Australia 18-1 during the first 7 minutes of the second quarter to take a 45-24 after Anthony made a pair of free throws with 3:01 left in the half.

Australia missed 20 of its first 27 shots before Bruton’s jumper with 2:50 to go.

Johnson scored the last seven points of the half, and the Americans took a 59-29 lead into the break.

Bogut finally ended his drought with a pair of free throws to open the second half, but the U.S. built its lead to 88-48 with 49 seconds left in the third quarter after Wade hit the Americans’ fourth straight 3-pointer.

Battier hit four 3-pointers and scored 12 points, while Chris Bosh also added 12 for the Americans.

LeBron James had another quiet game with five points, hitting the top of the backboard on one jumper from the corner.

Earlier, Nowitzki gave Germany a 78-71 lead on a slam dunk with 2 1/2 minutes left in the game.

Nigeria pulled to within one on free throws by Chamberlain Oguchi and Tunji Awojobi and had a chance to take the lead with seconds remaining. Ime Udoka drove for the basket but Nowitzki tipped his shot and grabbed the rebound at the final buzzer.

``We led the whole game and we looked a little bit shaky at the end,’’ Germany’s coach Dirk Bauermann said. ``The play at the end could have gone either way honestly. We switched on the pick and roll and Dirk did a good job of making it a tough shot for Udoka.’’

Udoka’s teammates thought a foul should have been called on the play but there was no whistle.

Ademola Okulaja scored nine straight points in the fourth quarter for Germany. He hit a 3-pointer two minutes in and was fouled on a layup just over a minute later.

Okulaja, who played for North Carolina from 199599, hit a 3-pointer with 5:36 remaining to make it 73-64.

FRANCE ADVANCES

Meantime, Aymeric Jeanneau scored 16 points, including six free throws in the final 36 seconds, and France held off Angola 68-62 to advance to the quarterfinals for the first time in 33 years.

Jeanneau, who missed France’s last game of pool competition with a right thigh injury, stepped in as the starting point guard when Tony Parker of the San Antonio Spurs broke his finger in an exhibition game just before the tournament began.

easter
08-28-2006, 10:39 AM
Mukhang halos lahat ng wins ng US via routs ah. Mukhang delikado ang ibang teams dito. :)

cub
08-29-2006, 05:29 PM
Spain beats Lithuania, 89-67.

yungha
08-29-2006, 07:55 PM
is it just me, or is it really difficult to see the free throw line in this tournament? all i can see is the TOYOTA sign against the white circle background.

easter
08-29-2006, 08:52 PM
He he ako din. Baka may marka yan na yung mga players at refs lang ang nakakakita.

clutchjedi
08-30-2006, 05:34 PM
Ako din, simula pa lang sinusubukan ko nang makita pero mukhang malabo talaga kahit sa closer camera angles.* :D

According to a Greek Basketball forum http://clubs.phantis.com/sports/index.php?showtopic=7796&st=325

GREECE 73 - FRANCE 56

So if that's correct, they'd be next in line for Team USA assuming the latter get past Team Germany (Team Dirk? :D).

Saan kaya reliably makakukuha ng live updates for the remaining games? I think the Solar Sports coverage is a bit delayed (30mins to 1 hour?), pati Yahoo/SI/ESPN hindi naman kaagad may update.* :)

cub
08-30-2006, 07:05 PM
sa fiba.com.. meron play by play dun..

clutchjedi
08-30-2006, 07:54 PM
^ thanks! i underestimated that site, i should have looked there first.* :)

CM_Punk
08-30-2006, 10:00 PM
USA beat Germany, 85-65. Leading the way for the US team was Carmelo Anthony, with 19 points. Chris Bosh and Shane Battier should also have special mention, as they played good defense against Dirk, limiting the star player to only 15 points. They advance to face the Greeks in the semi-finals.

kryptonite
08-31-2006, 06:19 AM
Games on Friday 3:30am ET ARG vs ESP, 6:30am ET USA vs GRE (sorry guys, USA time zone ko, e)

gameface_one
08-31-2006, 09:25 AM
US, Greece reach world semi-finals
abs-cbnnews.com

SAITAMA, Japan - An unbeaten US National Basketball Association squad and European champion Greece advanced to a World Basketball Championship semi-final showdown with lopsided triumphs here Wednesday.

Carmelo Anthony scored a game-high 19 points, the Denver Nuggets forward igniting a key third-quarter run to lift the United States past stubborn Germany 85-65 in a bump-and-shove-filled physical contest.

Unbeaten Greece beat France 73-56 in a defense-minded quarter-final to set a date with the US team. Antonis Fotsis and Lazaros Papadopoulos each scored 14 points to lead Greece, which kept the French to their event-low point total.

France hit only 21-of-60 shots from the field, buried by an impressive Greek defensive effort.

"I thought it was the second best," Greek star guard Theodoros Papaloukas said. "The best is going to be against the States."

Friday's other semi-final will send undefeated Olympic champion Argentina, sparked by NBA standouts Emanuel Ginobili and Andres Nocioni, against unbeaten Spain, seeking a global podium for the first time since the 1984 Olympics.

The US-Greek game will be a rematch of the 2004 Olympic bronze medal game. Americans kept their run of hoops medals at every Olympics intact by denying the hosts a first global medal after worlds peaks of fourth in 1994 and 1998.

But the US squad is on a mission to reclaim the global throne after a horrid sixth-place finish as host of the 2002 worlds and the disappointment of bronze and the first Olympic losses using NBA talent from Athens.

Papaloukas, Most Valuable Player of last year's European final and of the European league's finals with champion CSKA Moscow, hopes to complete a championship treble, end the Greek medal drought and maybe shock the US stars.

"Our desire for a medal is very big. We won the European championship last year and my club won the Eurobasket title and now I want to have this success," he said.

"This is why you live. Money and success is great, but this, this is something special."

Anthony scored 10 points in an 18-4 US run in the third quarter, hitting two 3-pointers and a slam dunk in a spurt that ended when Chris Paul's alley-oop reverse dunk and free throw gave the US team a 60-45 lead 8:07 into the period.

Paul sank a 3-pointer at the buzzer to give the Americans a 67-52 lead entering the fourth quarter and the Germans never came within 11 points again.

Anthony's 3-pointer 49 seconds before half-time gave the Americans a 40-39 edge at the break, but neither team led by more than five points in a first half where the US team hit only 14-of-44 from the field.

Germany seized an 11-6 lead, serving notice early the US team was in for a challenge.

NBA star Dirk Nowitzki and Ademola Okulaja each scored 15 points to lead Germany. LeBron James added 13 points for the Americans.

Greece led France 34-24 at half-time and France pulled as close as 51-43 in the second half. But Fotsis hit a shot to end the third quarter and a 3-pointer 20 seconds into the last quarter. The French were never within 12 again.

"Normally we start our games with positive thoughts. This time we cracked under pressure," France coach Claude Bergeaud said, lamenting 11-for-35 shooting in the first half.

"We missed unmissable shots at the beginning. It's difficult to win under such circumstances, even if we are still in the game at half-time." AFP

bigfreeze_bibby
08-31-2006, 09:25 AM
Team USA really relies on their athleticism, hustle, and defense in order to win ballgames. *Their offensive sets last night were off-mark and they really had a hard time breaking out that zone defense. *The good thing that happened with the zone defense is that team USA got a lot of offensive rebounding, which enabled them to score off scrambled and broken plays.

Team USA also increased their intensity on the defensive end to force and turnovers and fast break opportunities. Di rin sila kumakagat ng pump fake ni Dirk which made Dirk to take fallaways na kadalasan mintis because he had a tough angle to work with everytime he takes a shot. *I hope they would be more consistent in their perimeter shooting which will help them big time if they want to surpass Greece, Spain and/or Argentina.

clutchjedi
09-01-2006, 04:43 PM
It's Greece 45 USA 41 Halftime according to FIBA.com.

Ang alam ko the original sked was 1st game ESP-ARG (430pm Manila time) and 2nd game USA-GRE (630pm Manila time) pero mukhang nag-switch sila.

Somebody on the Greek bball forums said na "Team USA requested the change in schedule" daw pero haven't seen anything else on it yet.

I'm still sticking to my championship prediction of USA over ARG...

lurkinggood
09-01-2006, 04:55 PM
For those who want to watch the World Basketball Games `(USA vs Greece) online, you may access this site:

http://www.tvunetworks.com

Choose CCTV-5 (Chinese Sports)

Just download the sw and view several prime cable channels including: CNN, HBO, ABC, ESPN, FOX, Channel V, Cartoon Network, etc.

So far, its 69-58 Greece, 4 mins 3rd quarter

lurkinggood
09-01-2006, 05:22 PM
It's 94-86 Greece, less than 2 mins. Looks like a won game for Greece.

lurkinggood
09-01-2006, 05:24 PM
94-88 Greece, 40 secs

lurkinggood
09-01-2006, 05:26 PM
97-93 Greece, 24 secs

lurkinggood
09-01-2006, 05:27 PM
99-95, Greece 10 secs

dudewheresmyboard
09-01-2006, 05:30 PM
Once again, TEAM basketball wins over individual talent. Kung ako owner ng isang NBA franchise, iha-hire ko buong Greece team pati coaching staff to play for my team. *

lurkinggood
09-01-2006, 05:37 PM
It's 101-95 final score, Greece goes to the Finals.

Mel
09-01-2006, 06:13 PM
eh may dugong Achilles at Hercules ang mga iyan eh.

The superpower of the ancient civ winning against the power
of modern civ.

Like all Greeks of the past, immortalized na ang mga greek players
with this victory.

lurkinggood
09-01-2006, 06:40 PM
Watch now Spain vs. Argentina LIVE at http://www.tvunetworks.com. You need to download the program and choose ESPN2, instead of CCTV-5. Commentating in English, not Chinese.

CM_Punk
09-01-2006, 08:56 PM
After this statement game over the USA, Greece has to be considered as one of the world's best teams, and deserve more respect from the press. Look for some NBA teams to seriously start scouting and try to bring over some Greek players, especially if they win the FIBA championship.

clutchjedi
09-01-2006, 08:57 PM
The other semi:
Final score -* 75 - 74* esp beats arg

The 3rd place game is tomorrow, gold medal game on Sunday.

kryptonite
09-01-2006, 09:58 PM
May tulog ang US sa Argentina sa Bronze medal game. Most likely, 4th place sila.

CM_Punk
09-01-2006, 11:06 PM
You have to wonder why Manu didn't take that last shot himself, or tried to get a foul. Argentina was only down by one, so they didn't need a three-pointer. Close victory for Spain, but they have to be worried about Gasol's ankle injury. If he isn't 100% by the Finals, then Greece will win the FIBA championship.

lurkinggood
09-03-2006, 07:56 PM
And the 2006 World Basketball Games Championship goes to Spain!!!

(It's 62-36, Spain leading with less than 7mins left in 4q. Definitely no sign for Greece to catch up.)

CM_Punk
09-03-2006, 08:46 PM
Spain with a blowout victory over Greece, wow, I wasn't expecting that. With Gasol out, the whole team (particularly Garbajosa and Navarro) stepped up their games, and were determined to win the gold. Still, Greece also has a bright future, and getting the silver isn't so bad. The next few years should be very competitive, as international basketball is getting better and better.

mangtsito
09-03-2006, 08:47 PM
Spain thump Greece to claim crown
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/basketball/5308082.stm

Spain shrugged off the loss of injured star Pau Gasol to thrash Greece 70-47 and claim the World Basketball Championship title for the first time.

NBA-bound Jorge Garbajosa and Juan Carlos Navarro both scored 20 points, Garbajosa sinking six three-pointers.

It was Spain's first medal in global competition since the 1984 Olympics, and they went through the tournament undefeated, winning all nine matches.

Greece could not reproduce the form which shocked the USA in the semis.

Back-to-back three-pointers from Garbajosa blew the game open for Spain, giving them a 14-point advantage with 8:15 to go in the second quarter.

They went in at half-time leading 43-23, and the gap was still 20 points after the third quarter.

Greeks never threatened a late fightback and Spain comfortably completed their 18th straight win following a string of victories before the tournament.

Gasol, who led Spain in points and rebounding, broke a metatarsal in Friday's epic 75-74 semi-final win over Argentina.

The Memphis Grizzlies forward hobbled on to the court on crutches for the final and watched the game from the bench, pumping his fists and shouting encouragement.

Gasol burst into tears at the final buzzer as the Spanish celebrations began.

mangtsito
09-03-2006, 08:49 PM
After crashing out of the Football World Cup months ago, this is one sweet consolation for the Spanish. ;)

Bennie Bangag
09-04-2006, 07:51 AM
One must remember that this is Spain's first World title for any major team sport in a long, long time. Spain displayed a spirited and highly-motivated effort in the absence of star Pau Gasol, and proved they were deep and talented with the play of Jorge Garbajosa, Juan Carlos Navarro, Carlos Jimenez, Felipe Reyes, and even Gasol's younger brother Marc. Pulling ahead 18-12 at the end of the first quarter, Spain exploded in the 2nd quarter to take a 16-point lead and extended it to 43-23 at the half. The second half wasn't much better for the Greeks, which had difficulty maintaining the high level of play they demonstrated in beating the Americans in the semis.

Wang-Bu
09-04-2006, 05:06 PM
Tanging ina nilang lahat: Hintayin nilang susunod na RP Team!

Dong Polistico
Jonathan Brines
Joel Dualan
Nani Demegillo
Dennis Abatuan
Dodong Postanes
Aris Franco
Juancho Estrada
Jun Marzan
Epoy Jalmasco

Interplanetary na ito!

christian
09-04-2006, 09:16 PM
sino coach? ;D

Joescoundrel
09-07-2006, 09:57 PM
I wonder about something: Greece beat the US to advance to the World Finals. Spain beat Greece to be crowned World Basketball Champions for 2006. Greece could have shot from the parking lot and they still would have put it in the way they were shooting versus the US, yet the US came within 101-95. On the other hand the Greeks could not even get half that many points because of simple poor shooting against Spain in a 70-49 loss in the Finals.

Which brings up two questions: Did the Greeks simply get lucky on shooting against a US team that played relatively good ball throughout the tournament? Did that luck run out against Spain who already played without injured NBA All Star Pau Gasol?

Maybe I'm just one of those people who have an unmitigated (American) colonial mentality, but I still believe the US was playing just as well as any of the other teams in this tournament, not that much better but certainly not that much worse. And I still firmly believe that there is no team better than the US in terms of sheer talent. Is the World Championship (and other FIBA tournaments like the Olympics) with all of its arcane rules and whatever officiating really the last bastions of how the game is supposed to be played? Or are they just the rest of the world's ways of negating the still-obvious disparity in raw physical gifts the American ballers have over the rest of the basketball world?

If the international players really are far better than their American counterparts then why are the Internationalists still beating a path to the NBA? Is this purely money at work? I know European clubs pay as much if not more than NBA clubs to keep their superstars. Even when they get to the NBA the best players are not the Internationalists but the Americans (Michael Jordan was the best in the NBA although he had Toni Kukoc as a teammate on those Bulls teams). Is the international game really just the rest of the world unable to match the evolution of the game as propounded and expounded by the Americans in the NBA?

Joescoundrel
09-07-2006, 10:02 PM

Dong Polistico
Jonathan Brines
Joel Dualan
Nani Demegillo
Dennis Abatuan
Dodong Postanes
Aris Franco
Juancho Estrada
Jun Marzan
Epoy Jalmasco

Interplanetary na ito!

I nominate Januario "Aric" Del Rosario. This team needs a coach with infinite patience, who never yells and never cusses.

Kid Cubao
09-08-2006, 08:38 AM
I wonder about something: Greece beat the US to advance to the World Finals. Spain beat Greece to be crowned World Basketball Champions for 2006. Greece could have shot from the parking lot and they still would have put it in the way they were shooting versus the US, yet the US came within 101-95. On the other hand the Greeks could not even get half that many points because of simple poor shooting against Spain in a 70-49 loss in the Finals.

Which brings up two questions: Did the Greeks simply get lucky on shooting against a US team that played relatively good ball throughout the tournament? Did that luck run out against Spain who already played without injured NBA All Star Pau Gasol?

Maybe I'm just one of those people who have an unmitigated (American) colonial mentality, but I still believe the US was playing just as well as any of the other teams in this tournament, not that much better but certainly not that much worse. And I still firmly believe that there is no team better than the US in terms of sheer talent. Is the World Championship (and other FIBA tournaments like the Olympics) with all of its arcane rules and whatever officiating really the last bastions of how the game is supposed to be played? Or are they just the rest of the world's ways of negating the still-obvious disparity in raw physical gifts the American ballers have over the rest of the basketball world?

If the international players really are far better than their American counterparts then why are the Internationalists still beating a path to the NBA? Is this purely money at work? I know European clubs pay as much if not more than NBA clubs to keep their superstars. Even when they get to the NBA the best players are not the Internationalists but the Americans (Michael Jordan was the best in the NBA although he had Toni Kukoc as a teammate on those Bulls teams). Is the international game really just the rest of the world unable to match the evolution of the game as propounded and expounded by the Americans in the NBA?

simple lang ang sagot dyan: the US has the best players, but not necessarily the best teams.

chocoks77
09-08-2006, 10:06 AM

Dong Polistico
Jonathan Brines
Joel Dualan
Nani Demegillo
Dennis Abatuan
Dodong Postanes
Aris Franco
Juancho Estrada
Jun Marzan
Epoy Jalmasco

Interplanetary na ito!

I nominate Januario "Aric" Del Rosario. This team needs a coach with infinite patience, who never yells and never cusses.

Pwede din si Alfrancis Chua dito