PDA

View Full Version : Very Superstitious...

5FootCarrot
08-10-2006, 08:57 AM
Some athletes out there have rituals that they like to do before a game, or articles of clothing that they like to wear, or have other little idiosyncrasies that must be followed that they believe bring them luck in competition.

I think fans also have their lucky clothes or rituals that they believe helps their team to victory. This thread is for sharing the things that we do or wear (or avoid) to try and put the stars in the correct alignment ;D

kaybee07
08-10-2006, 09:40 AM
Some athletes out there have rituals that they like to do before a game, or articles of clothing that they like to wear, or have other little idiosyncrasies that must be followed that they believe bring them luck in competition.

I think fans also have their lucky clothes or rituals that they believe helps their team to victory. This thread is for sharing the things that we do or wear (or avoid) to try and put the stars in the correct alignment ;D

Nice topic, carrot! :)

Back in the day, when I was still playing, I used to wear the same underwear and accessories I wore on a winning game to every succeeding game (after washing them, of course!) until I performed poorly. Then I'd wear another set and so on and so forth. I had a teammate who did the same thing except that the socks and underwear remained unwashed until her next bad game! We knew to ignore the smell of old sweat eminating from underneath her uniform. Whatever works naman kasi eh 'di ba? :)

Nowadays I'm a mere spectator and I just try to wear my team's colors when I go to the gym for their games. My friends also say that I pray like crazy and can't be talked to before the opening tip-off ;D

Hector, or "Chuckie's Bride" to most of you, brings a bunch of bananas for the players before every game. So I guess our team's ritual is to eat Hector's bananas before seeing action. Ooohh I can just imagine the jokes and puns that will come from what I just posted! :o

jkad
08-10-2006, 10:17 AM
I like to bring my friends or employees to games but if Ateneo loses, whoever is unlucky enough to be my guest at that game, never gets invited again. :)

Ghostrider
08-10-2006, 10:20 AM
our team's ritual is to eat Hector's bananas before seeing action.

Ohhh, Hector's bananas . . . I wouldn't even want to think about it.

* slinks of to a warm happy place, while dragging his security blanket *

dudewheresmyboard
08-10-2006, 10:43 AM
[1] Nagyoyosi before the game, during halftime, and at the end of it [but then again, I guess every smoker does the same thing]

[2] If my team is down during the first half, I make it a point to go to the c.r. to p%ss the "malas" away. But if my team is doing well, eh di hindi na kailangan...

5FootCarrot
08-10-2006, 11:59 AM
Thanks to everyone who's shared thus far! :) It's fun finding out about these little rituals and things.

One of my major superstitions is that I don't skip work to watch weekday games live. I got permission to leave early to watch exactly two (2) major Ateneo games in 2001 and 2003, and both times the team lost. (I think you have some idea which games these are.) So never, ever again. Instead of watching live, I content myself with text messages and online coverage. Sometimes I'd try to rush home and catch what I can of the game on TV, but these days I feel obliged to wait it out with the rest of the working stiffs who belong to the Online Sixth Man 8)

When I do watch the games, whether or not they're UAAP games, I don't like being late. Not only is it lousy that you won't be able to see the whole thing, I just feel that it's unlucky. So, more often than not, I enter the venue as soon as I can and catch part of the preceding game if the Ateneo game is not the first on the schedule. Also, I don't eat or drink during the games. I have relaxed this stricture enough to allow myself a drink during timeouts/halftimes in non-UAAP games (heckling is thirsty work! ;D), but that's it.

I don't really have any specific lucky shirts or clothes. Generally, like kaybee, I make sure to wear team colors when I watch games. Sometimes I wear other colors, too, but never the colors of the opposing team. Baka mapagkamalan pa ako :P

Hmm, I think that covers most of my weird little policies ;D

joelex
08-10-2006, 12:11 PM
no haircut on championship days..if im a player or team member. :)

Kid Cubao
08-10-2006, 01:54 PM
there are coaches out there who are quite particular in lining up their players for their entrance into the hardcourt. some arrange for their team captains to enter first, while others phase in their "victory cigars" to lead the charge into the playing arena.

bluewing
08-10-2006, 02:50 PM
ako simple lang.

pag sa araneta ang laro, kain ng araneta burger.

pag sa ULTRA, kain sa aysee.

pag sa Loyola Center, kain ng hotdog.

BabbleBand97
08-10-2006, 04:25 PM
nung college, stretching kahit horns ang hawak ko... para malakas ang cheer... at inom muna ng ice tea na donated ng caf... :)

ngayon, stretching pa rin para kumuha ng pictures... tapos dasal... dasal bawat quarter ang gawain ko :)

pio_valenz
08-10-2006, 05:02 PM
My superstitions are on a per-game basis. If my team is ahead early on, I stay in the same seat. If they're behind, I move from section to section until they start making a comeback. it worked wonders for me in UP's second round Adamson game last year. Yun nga lang, nalibot ko yata ang buong BEG, kasi behind ang UP for most of the game. :D

08-10-2006, 05:18 PM
wash and wear the exact same outfit, including socks and underwear until we lose...that's the time we change outfits....... most of the time it's like we're in "uniform" at the UAAP games 8)

freak
08-10-2006, 08:20 PM
I try to wear my Blue Eagle Sixth Man shirt as often as I can during games ;)

-- and hopefully my own Larry Fonacier jersey (if ever it becomes available ::))

Mel
08-11-2006, 09:08 AM
Pag venue, I wear the opponent's colors...I use my car not my sister's

Pag Araneta game, I never get those signs/balloons/flags na pinamimigay ng
Smart or Globe sa entrance...malas!

Pag sa bahay, dapat may alak.

5FootCarrot
08-11-2006, 10:08 AM
Pag Araneta game, I never get those signs/balloons/flags na pinamimigay ng Smart or Globe sa entrance...malas!

Isa pa pala ito, kahit anong pinapamigay - kahit T-shirt, balloon or printed sign - ayaw kong tanggapin kasi malas!

dudewheresmyboard
08-11-2006, 12:10 PM
Isa pa pala... kung Araneta ang game at upper b or general admission na lang ang available tickets, sa bahay nalang ako manonood. Bukod sa bad trip manood ng game ng ganoon ka-layo, lagi din talo ang team ko kung doon ako nak-upo.

Mel
08-11-2006, 01:01 PM
Super malas in the 2000 final 4 against FEU. Ninoy ang venue.....traffic papunta..may welga pa
sa Nagtahan..sabay nakatabi namin sa Gordon na pinipilit kaming mag-cheer....tapos talo/eliminated.
Pag uwi dalawang oras trapik.

john_paul_manahan
08-12-2006, 03:33 AM
right now... wearing my zion laterre jersey... hasn't lost yet...