PDA

View Full Version : Patented shots

Ghostrider
08-03-2006, 01:22 PM
Anyone remember when the really good players had their own patented shots?

Mon Fernandez had the elegant shot - a running one handed shot down the lane.

Francis Arnaiz had the fingeroll - ala George Gervin.

Atoy Co had the running three pointer where he would take off behind the arc but land almost at the 15 foot line.

Sonny Jaworski had his barrelling drive.

Yoyong Martirez had the two handed layup.

Freddie Hubalde had the bankshot.

Alvin Patrimonio had a "dreamshake" pivot move.

I'm sure others also had their trademark moves, maybe the others would like to help me refresh my memory.

Kid Cubao
08-03-2006, 01:34 PM
the twisting shot of a young arnie tuadles, called "bali" in those days, that he would pull off whenever a defender reached out to block his shot. you need great hang time for this because you'll be contorting while in mid-air.

the reverse layups of danny florencio.

the fadeaways of bogs adornado complete with the cocking motion of the shooting wrist, na ginagaya ngayon ni migs de asis ng UP.

the midrange pullup jumpers of jojo lastimosa.

the "fake right, step back" set shot of joey loyzaga.

bluebruiser90
08-03-2006, 01:40 PM
Yung bitbit ni Samboy.

Yung extra hop ni Destroyer Distrito pag sumasaksak.

Ito hindi tira pero patented move: pag bibigay ng malakas na foul si Wilmer Ong, pag binibigyan pa lang ng instructions ni Jawo, tinataas baba na yung wristband. Parang nagkakasa ng shotgun.

toti_mendiola
08-03-2006, 01:50 PM
I do not know how to describe the set shots of the ffg:

1. Dondon Ampalayo
2. Dante Gonzalgo
and Allan Caidic

but somehow it just made a mark on me while they were still active and doing those kind of twisted two handed perimeter set shots.

residentshooter
08-03-2006, 02:47 PM
yung kakaibang freethrow ni Leo Isaac

at yung "jolens" shot ni Marlou "The Skyscraper" Aquino ;D

JonarSabilano
08-03-2006, 02:55 PM
Bong Hawkins' set shot... Looks the same whether from the 3 or the free.

Apocrypha
08-03-2006, 04:20 PM
The no-look layups of Al Solis. On a breakaway fastbreak, this guy would look at the floor and lay up without looking at the hoop.

Kakaiba nga mag FT si Leo Isaac. It's like he can't see the hoop because his arms were in his face before he released.

There was this import once who shot free throws not at the middle of the 15ft line, but off to one side.

bluebruiser90
08-03-2006, 07:59 PM
Isama na din natin yung jumpshot ni Coach Leo Austria, parang sa likod binibitawan at halos di na kayang masupalpal.

bluebruiser90
08-03-2006, 08:00 PM
There was this import once who shot free throws not at the middle of the 15ft line, but off to one side.

Or yung one, two, three bounce ni Larry Pounds bago mag FT. Pati crowd bumibilang na din.

christian
08-03-2006, 11:58 PM
yung import ng ginebra, dennis edwards yata (look alike ni p. diddy) tira muna bago talon!

ESCALERA JR.
08-04-2006, 04:06 PM
Isama na din natin yung jumpshot ni Coach Leo Austria, parang sa likod binibitawan at halos di na kayang masupalpal.

a jOY cLEOFAS original shot.

Mateen Cleaves
08-04-2006, 04:22 PM
Elmer Reyes' "Marco Polo" move! ;D

chocoks77
08-04-2006, 04:45 PM
Pwede ba dito yung patalikod na tira ni Bong Alvarez ng 3 point shot in the game where he set one of the highest points scored by a local in the PBA?

Sam Miguel
08-04-2006, 05:32 PM
Marlou Aquino had two patented moves: One was the up-and-under stretching layup, the other was thos Abdul Jabbar-like sky hook. I don't know why his sky hook was hardly ever utilized in the PBA since it was so effective in the amateurs.

Dondon Ampalayo was the best layup artist of the PBA. His layups always looked like they would go straight to the blocking arms of an opposing player but would almost magically arc just an inch over a blocking hand and into the basket like a feather.

Leo Isaac and Franz Pumaren had the most unorthodox freethrows I had ever seen. Leo always seemed to twist his arms into knots while aiming but they somehow kept falling. Franz looked like he had the ball slipping out of his hand at the arc of his shot but it also kept falling in. Chito Loyzaga's freethrow looked like a two-handed hurl but it was deadly accurate.

freak
08-04-2006, 07:47 PM
Leo Isaac and Franz Pumaren had the most unorthodox freethrows I had ever seen. Leo always seemed to twist his arms into knots while aiming but they somehow kept falling. Franz looked like he had the ball slipping out of his hand at the arc of his shot but it also kept falling in. Chito Loyzaga's freethrow looked like a two-handed hurl but it was deadly accurate.

how about Sonny Cabatu's free throw shot? how unorthodox can it get? ;D ;D

08-04-2006, 09:18 PM
Rey Lazaro's undergoal stabs

Bogs Adornado's triangle foot fake,* then blam!* 2 points!!!

Mac Cardona's hooks (kasama ba present players?)

NBA- Bill Cartwright and Adrian Dantley's FTs,* Jamaal Wilkes' jumper,* Mark Jackson's and Karl Malone's FTs,* Hakeem's dream shake and Robert Parish's "baker putting bread in a tall oven" shot,* Worthy's swooping attack,* Coop-a-loop,* etc etc

;D

joelex
08-05-2006, 05:50 AM
Mark Telan 3 pointer off the glass.... ;D set shot pa

pio_valenz
08-07-2006, 08:55 PM
Paul Alvarez and his one-handed lay-up.

Sam Miguel
08-07-2006, 11:14 PM
I don't know if this is "patented', but I always got a kick out of seeing Joey Marquez dunking on a fastbreak. I guess it was simply because that era didn't have too many PBA players who could even dunk, so a guy like Marquez doing it was still a rare thrill.

Ghostrider
08-08-2006, 10:46 AM
During the 70s, Gary Vargas of CDCP or was it Tefillin used to do that also.

Also, who could forget Etok Lobo's, ehem, lobo (moon) shot :D

kryptonite
08-12-2006, 01:53 AM
Yung bitbit ni Samboy.

Yung extra hop ni Destroyer Distrito pag sumasaksak.

Ito hindi tira pero patented move: pag bibigay ng malakas na foul si Wilmer Ong, pag binibigyan pa lang ng instructions ni Jawo, tinataas baba na yung wristband. Parang nagkakasa ng shotgun.

Si distrito pag sumaksak may kasamang tadyak sabay sapak...hehehe

gameface_one
05-10-2007, 10:28 PM
The Lastimosa lay-up
Freddie Hubalde banda shots
Billy Ray Bates banda free throw shots
Philip Cesar's stretch lay-up shots

Oh well....just bumping this thread again.

Kid Cubao
05-11-2007, 05:49 AM
I don't know if this is "patented', but I always got a kick out of seeing Joey Marquez dunking on a fastbreak. I guess it was simply because that era didn't have too many PBA players who could even dunk, so a guy like Marquez doing it was still a rare thrill.

wow, what a long, strange trip down memory lane ;D

yes, joey marquez was quite a player in those days, sam. he had great elevation, just like gary vargas, but what made his dunks more impressive is that compared to the latter, joey's dunks look more fluid and effortless. bet kids these days don't know that joey marquez was among the few pinoys who could dunk in game situations back in the day. bet they don't even know he played in the PBA, period.

another patented shot is atoy co's turnaround jumper.

khernitz
05-11-2007, 08:30 AM
syempre the "elegant shot" by the franchise - don ramon fernandez...

oca
05-11-2007, 08:40 AM
How about yung tira sa labas ni Bogs Adornado.

Pagtanggap ng bola..fake...double fake..minsan may pangatlo pa, then one dribble.. sabay side step. Isang dipa na ang layo ng bantay.

Seem so simple pero wala pang nakakagaya. Very effective and effortless.

Jaco D
05-11-2007, 09:47 AM
Yung tira ni Yoyong Martirez na parang nag i-inbound sa football.

shyboy
05-11-2007, 10:14 AM
Dagadagan na natin ng patented freethrow shots.

Yung pilipit arms ni Leo Isaac
Walang dribble freethrow ni Jawo

May naaalala pa ako na PBA player na kung mag-freethrow hindi nakatayo sa tapat ng ring, parang one foot to the right siya kung tumira ng freethrow. Di ko maalala kung sino.

Meron din yung lima ang dribble muna bago mag-freethrow, sa sobrang tuwa ng crowd binibilangan lagi. Di ko na rin maalala kung sino.

LION
05-11-2007, 10:41 AM
^ That was Larry Pounds of Royal True Orange. But he makes 3 dribbles only. The crowd counts in unison for every dribble.

bchoter
05-12-2007, 05:36 PM
Dagdag sa Wimler Ong patented move, Bogs would tug at his wrist band after performing his patented shot.

Patented look: "ANO???' with bulging eyes... demonstrates his move... shakes his head... then points at the referee while going back to defend... Ed Ducut after being called for a travelling (called after stopping his dribble a step before the r-point line and then taking 4 steps to the hoop).

Moves that were mentioned by my uncles:

Danny Florencio's undergoal stabs

Rudy Soriano's magical shots

Rudy Lalota's lefties were also distinct during his time.

Ricky Brown's two dribbles behind the back before launching a three pointer

Manny Victorino's in game dunks

Joey Loyzaga's 'sideways' three-point shots

nel
05-13-2007, 12:29 AM
the way Hal Greer used to take his free throws - jump shots
Wilt Chamberlain's free throws (he was as bad as Shaq) - underhanded scoop shots
Macmac Cardona's no-look hook shot that went in during a championship game against FEU - his eyes were inadvertently covered by his headband
Jimmy Mariano's jump shot

abcdef
05-13-2007, 06:58 PM
One handed fall way shot by asaytono!

mangtsito
05-13-2007, 07:06 PM
Cardona's half-hook shots killed a lot of teams during his time in the UAAP. I'm not sure if they were patented though.

fujima04
05-13-2007, 07:28 PM
Distrito's FT wherein, he bends his knees after dribble twice before taking the shot.

Jarencio's fake in the three point line and then suddenly would slide on his side then "Kaboom".