PDA

View Full Version : The Greatest Players of the 80s

Jump_Shooter
08-01-2006, 06:25 PM
Since there are a number of us here at gameface who seem to have been around already during this fabulous decade, I thought of starting a thread dedicated to the best UAAP players from this era. I would have used a poll to get a better statistical view, but I think the poll function does not allow multiiple responses (I want to discuss the best players at the five positions).

Anyway, here are my nominees for greatest players of the 80s according to position. If I have omitted someone, or placed someone under a wrong position (don't know if Dodong Postanes was a SF or PF), just let me know. And take note, we are talking about the player's UAAP career, not how he would go on to perform in the pros. There are some players who did well in the UAAP but whose PBA careers fizzled out (Eric Altamirano, Dong Postanes), so don't judge them by that. Also, I'm including players who played the bulk of their career in the 80s, so guys like Johnny Abarrientos (rookie year, 1989) are not included here and will instead be featured in a separate Players of the 90s thread.

Point guard:
Eric Altamirano (UP)
Raymond Celis (UP)
Teddy Monasterio (DLSU)
Dindo Pumaren (DLSU)
Jun Reyes (ADMU)
Charlie Fermin (UE)

Shooting guard:
Glenn Capacio (FEU)
Johnedel Cardel (DLSU)
Nonoy Chuatico (ADMU)
Pido Jarencio (UST)
Ronnie Magsanoc (UP)
Jet Nieto (ADMU)
Boycie Zamar (UE)

Small forward
Vince Albino (UP)
Allan Caidic (UE)
Sef Canlas (ADMU)
Andy De Guzman (FEU)
Nandy Garcia (Adamson)
Joey Guanio (UP)
Bobby Jose (UST)
Eddie Viaplana (DLSU)
Vernie Villarias (UE)

Power forward
Joey Mendoza (UP)
Mulong Orillosa (Adamson)
Dodong Postanes (FEU)
Eric Reyes (ADMU)
Julian Rabbi Tomacruz (UST)
Anthony Williams (FEU)

Center
Gido Bailonia (UST)
Jerry Codinera (UE)
Danny Francisco (ADMU)
Benjie Paras (UP)
Joey Sta. Maria (DLSU)
Jack Tanuan (FEU)

From these choices, my first five would be Jun Reyes, Ronnie Magsanoc, Allan Caidic, Eric Reyes and Jerry Codinera. Second five would be Dindo Pumaren, Pido Jarencio, Andy De Guzman, Joey Mendoza, and Benjie Paras.

Mateen Cleaves
08-02-2006, 12:22 AM
Can't talk eighties without mentioning the FEU Tamaraws who won three straight UAAP championships from 1981 to 1983. Anthony Williams is the name always mentioned from that group. But they also had Amador (now head coach at LSGH) at PG, and Joel Valle (followed by Andy de Guzman) at SF. Harmon Codiņera was at FEU around this time, too.

bluebruiser90
08-02-2006, 08:28 AM
Teddy Monasterio should be there and at least rank ahead of Gee Abanilla. I'll even have Benjie Gutierez (UST) and Alfie Manlulo (UP) nose out Abanilla. How about Roa and Padilla of FEU?

Benet Palad (UST, SF) and Vic Pablo (FEU. PF) should also make the list at their college positions.

Jay Gayoso could also make a case for himself at SF even if he only played less than two seasons for Ateneo.

Ghostrider
08-02-2006, 10:51 AM
Some notes:

Jet Nieto was a power forward. How about Mike Facundo (C) and Rey Rances (PF) of Ateneo? Agree on the ommission of Alex Araneta in the list because he only blossomed in the pros.

Franz Pumaren played one year in the UAAP. I think he was on DLSU's last NCAA team and first UAAP team.

My choices would be: Jun Reyes, Pido Jarencio, Allan Caidic, Danny Francisco (C-F) and Benjie Paras.

Second team would be composed of: Dindo Pumaren, Glenn Capacio, Nandy Garcia, Anthony Williams and Jerry Codinera.

Pansin ko lang, walang tiga NU sa list :P

admuhs_upengg
08-02-2006, 02:25 PM
I don't recall Abanilla having too much of an iimpact in the UAAP, and neither did Olsen Racela. Viaplana was only good for the 3 pt contests, he never really delivered during games.

What about Ladaban of Ateneo, he was consistently the topscorer for those anemic Ateneo teams of the early 80's.

Bong Ravena of UE, Gido Babilonia of UST. Tata Marata of UP

bluebruiser90
08-02-2006, 02:54 PM
Some notes:

Jet Nieto was a power forward.* How about Mike Facundo (C) and Rey Rances (PF) of Ateneo?* Agree on the ommission of Alex Araneta in the list because he only blossomed in the pros.

Franz Pumaren played one year in the UAAP. I think he was on DLSU's last NCAA team and first UAAP team.

My choices would be:* Jun Reyes, Pido Jarencio, Allan Caidic, Danny Francisco (C-F) and Benjie Paras.

Second team would be composed of: Dindo Pumaren, Glenn Capacio, Nandy Garcia, Anthony Williams and Jerry Codinera.

Pansin ko lang, walang tiga NU sa list* :P

Di ba 2/3 ang laro ni Jet Nieto? Though he's tough enough to muscle his way at the post against the top 4's of his time, he was more of shooter/slasher (ok, ok..be barrelled more than he slashed....) than a natural power forward.* I remembered Seph Canlas playing most of the 4 when they were rookies.* By the time they started their back-to-back title run their junior year, Eric Reyes was the fixture at 4.

Coach T
08-03-2006, 12:56 PM
i'd go with jun reyes (pg), caidic (sg), ravena (sf), j. codinera (pf), and danny f (c).

2nd 5 would be dindo, pido, canlas, sta. maria, paras

would be good to match these 80's stars up with the best of the 90's.

Ghostrider
08-03-2006, 01:15 PM
Jet Nieto was a power forward.*

Di ba 2/3 ang laro ni Jet Nieto? Though he's tough enough to muscle his way at the post against the top 4's of his time, he was more of shooter/slasher (ok, ok..be barrelled more than he slashed....) than a natural power forward.* I remembered Seph Canlas playing most of the 4 when they were rookies.* By the time they started their back-to-back title run their junior year, Eric Reyes was the fixture at 4.

On offense, Jet played the 3 spot while (depending on who was on the court) Sep Canlas played the 4 spot. On defense, Jet would play the 4 (since he had the bulk to muscle in and lean on the post players) while Canlas would take the 3 spot (since he could defend on the perimeter).

In HS, the 84-85 Eaglet starting 5 was composed of 1. Jun Reyes 2. Robbie Tanjuatco 3. Sep Canlas 4. Jet Nieto 5. JV Gayoso.

bluebruiser90
08-03-2006, 01:58 PM
Jet played most of his productive years in the UAAP seniors at the 2/3 position as Eric Reyes took over the PF slot fulltime from freshman year. I remember Seph eventually coming of the bench as a SF to spell either Jet or Jay Gayoso at 2 or 3.

Mateen Cleaves
08-03-2006, 03:33 PM
Pansin ko lang, walang tiga NU sa list :P

Si Cris Bolado lang ata ang PBA material nila in the 80s. Pero parang 1 year lang ata siya naglaro. He was clearly very raw, but he had a truly impressive physique. Back then, bihira ang ganun kalaki na ganun din katigas ang katawan.

Ghostrider
08-03-2006, 03:51 PM
Cris "Jumbo" Bolado - the human victory cigar! His streak of championships will be hard to beat ;D

Sam Miguel
08-03-2006, 09:22 PM
Jun Reyes, Ronnie Magsanoc, Dindo Pumaren at pointguard

Allan Caidic, Glen Capacio, Jon Cardel, Nonoy Chuatico, Pido Jarencio at offguard

Jay Gayoso, Vernie Villarias, Dodong Postanes at small forward

Eric Reyes, Joey Sta Maria, Joey Mendoza at Power Forward

Benjie Paras, Jerry Codinera, Danny Francisco, Jack Tanuan, Gido Babilonia at center

These are just the guys that come to mind immediately, although if any more come to mind I'll just put them down.

yungha
08-03-2006, 09:40 PM
NU had some notable gunners in the 80s like bernard parapara, rey artificio and rey (that's his surname).

artificio was a mid-20 pt scorer, sometimes a 30-pt scorer, on the NU teams that won once or twice a season.

kryptonite
08-04-2006, 12:42 AM
We can include Zandro Limpot of the DLSU Archers who led them to the 1989 championships. He was a rookie in 1988.

kryptonite
08-04-2006, 12:47 AM
Starting 5: Eric Altamirano (PG) Ronnie Magsanoc (OG) Allan Caidic (SF) Anthony Williams (PF) Benjie Paras (C)

bluebruiser90
08-04-2006, 06:21 AM
We can include Zandro Limpot of the DLSU Archers who led them to the 1989 championships. He was a rookie in 1988.

Played most of his career in the '90's. Same thing with Johnny Abarrientos and Ritchie Ticzon who started out their UAAP careers in 1989.

Mateen Cleaves
08-04-2006, 03:49 PM
Everybody rightfully associates the UP Maroons with the San Beda Red Cubs because of the Paras championship. But many people forget that UP was already a contender then. In fact, the Maroons played in the Finals, two out of the four preceding seasons. And unfortunately, people tend to forget that the leader of those teams was not one of the more famous Bedans. IMO, Vincent Albino was just a cut below Caidic, Jarencio, and Capacio as a force from the small forward position. As far as UP goes, he was definitely the best SF of the 80s -- better than Joey Guanio (no disrespect to Joey).

Mateen Cleaves
08-04-2006, 03:49 PM
sorry. double post.

kryptonite
08-04-2006, 10:55 PM

Played most of his career in the '90's. Same thing with Johnny Abarrientos and Ritchie Ticzon who started out their UAAP careers in 1989.

Yeah, I know, but John Cardel was included in the list same with Bong Ravena. They were contemporaries of Jun Limpot.

The ff were based on Allan Caidic's Book:
How about Ateneo's Ogie Narvasa, Miko Rabat, Jojo Lastimosa; UP's Yeng Guiao, Dondi Roque, Jojo Javier; adamson's Louie Alas, Ferdinand Platon; UST's Pido Jarrencio, Cesar Calayag; FEU's Glenn Capacio, Danny Pasco, Joel Valle; UE's Jaime Mariquit, Victor Villarias, George Ella, Orlie Javier, Charlie Fermin

bluebruiser90
08-05-2006, 06:41 PM
I think Cardel was already a rookie in '87. Limpot came in '88 and played three years into the '90's. Cardel was already vital cog in La Salle's '88 drive to the finals while Limpot played limited minutes. Though they did start their careers in the '80's, Cardel made most of his mark during that decade while a majority of Limpot's good years were in the '90's.

Jump_Shooter
08-05-2006, 10:05 PM
I think Cardel was already a rookie in '87.* Limpot came in '88 and played three years into the '90's. Cardel was already vital cog in La Salle's '88 drive to the finals while Limpot played limited minutes.* Though they did start their careers in the '80's, Cardel made most of his mark during that decade while a majority of Limpot's good years were in the '90's.*

Yes, for people wodnering why Cardel is included and Limpot and Ravena aren't, Cardel came on earlier than Limpot, who really became a top amateur from 1990 onwards, just like Vic Pablo. As for Ravena, he did debut in 1988, but missed the '89 and '90 seasons and only came back in 1991.

I've made some changes to the overall list after reviewing some of the comments.

Jump_Shooter
08-15-2006, 05:34 PM
@Mel: deleted your last post. I found a duplicate post in the other thread where I think you really intended to post it.

bluetruck
08-22-2006, 01:50 PM
danny francisco's name should be up there were it not for his illness.

Agent 008
08-23-2006, 11:48 AM
Allan Caidic..hands down.