PDA

View Full Version : Is the UAAP not getting much Media Mileage this year?

Agent 008
07-28-2006, 03:24 PM
It has been at least 4 weeks since the opening of the UAAP but I continue to see a lack of "attention" to the league by the local dailies. I have nothing against our brother basketball leagues but has anyone seen the number of UAAP game photos featured in the sports pages? It took me all of one hand to do it. I am also not seeing the usual telco support this year and certainly none of the freebie marketing tools given at the gate. Any thoughts?

suyen
07-28-2006, 05:13 PM
I do not really know about the dailies. But as for sponsors this year, the UAAP, through the current host UE, has already been documented that a lot of sponsors like Nestle and Globe backed out due to two main reasons,

1. The suspension of DLSU
2. Having the venue at Ninoy Aquino Stadium

The later being that they dont expect much crowed to be watching due to the location. The sponsors have a bias towards araneta i guess.

Anyway if you would like try searching through Philstar or INQ for the article.

Agent 008
07-28-2006, 07:29 PM
Hi Suyen,

Thanks for the explanation. I understand the lack of sponsorship due to the suspension and the venue. I just still continue to wonder why I don't see much on the UAAP in the sports pages. The NCAA is much better covered with huge photos to boot. While trying not to cause any controversy, I think there always seems to be some article about DLSU sports (golf tourneys, a small basketeers, tennis league, volleyball, etc). You almost forget they are absent this year :)

christian
07-29-2006, 12:12 AM
It's because of the absence of DLSU, fair and simple. When UAAP crowns its champion, i'm sure that a lot will say that it's because that DLSU is not there. Incomplete.

Drive by EDSA and visit any Nike branch, that would compensate the "lack" of media mileage by the dailies.
NCAA? Nah.