PDA

View Full Version : NAS: unsafe?

07-24-2006, 10:15 AM
IMHO it looks like a fire trap.

All gates are locked.

You may only exit where you entered.

I'm sure there's a better and safer way to handle the seating.

I always watch the games with my children and God forbid anything happens,* I don't see emergency exits!

Plus the toilets are so smelly!!!!!!!

:(

atenean_blooded
07-24-2006, 12:11 PM
The host could've been more considerate and selected a venue with better facilities in a far safer location. Such venues could have been the Blue Eagle Gym in Loyola Heights or ULTRA.

admuhs_upengg
07-24-2006, 12:13 PM
I agree totally UNSAFE. All other exits are locked so if God forbid, there is a need to suddenly evacuate the place, everyone has to go out one exit. Like I said in a different thread, it's a disaster waiting to happen.

MonL
07-24-2006, 12:33 PM
This should be an issue as well in the NCAA (can we move this to the General Discussions forum?). I'm anticipating a full house this Wednesday in the concluding first round playdate showcasing San Beda and Letran. There are concerns with regard to crowd control. This early, the Bedan community is being mobilized once more. I would imagine so with the Letranite community, they being the defending champions. Has the NCAA addressed ingress and egress concerns? Crowd control? *If not, they should be rapping their heads right now to proactively attend to this. I'm sure people from both communities would undertake initiatives to police their ranks. But would these be enough with the venue's deficiencies uncorrected? As LION succinctly said in b.com, the singlular glaring entry/exit restrictions/deficiencies currently in place, are simply this: * incidents waiting to happen.

Do they have to wait for something to happen before they act?

BigBlue
07-24-2006, 02:43 PM
isa lang masasabi ko: wowowee

(our government does not learn)

LION
07-24-2006, 02:52 PM
This should be an issue as well in the NCAA (can we move this to the General Discussions forum?). I'm anticipating a full house this Wednesday in the concluding first round playdate showcasing San Beda and Letran. There are concerns with regard to crowd control. This early, the Bedan community is being mobilized once more. I would imagine so with the Letranite community, they being the defending champions. Has the NCAA addressed ingress and egress concerns? Crowd control? *If not, they should be rapping their heads right now to proactively attend to this. I'm sure people from both communities would undertake initiatives to police their ranks. But would these be enough with the venue's deficiencies uncorrected? As LION succinctly said in b.com, the singlular glaring entry/exit restrictions/deficiencies currently in place, are simply this: * incidents waiting to happen.

Do they have to wait for something to happen before they act?

MonL,

Wala pa diyan yung problema sa labas ng Stadium. I have noted that right in front of the entrace of the stadium proper where you buy tickets is a small area where the supporters of the opposing teams congregate after the game.

Sa laban ng San Beda at Letran sa Miyerkoles siguradong mainitan yan. After the game, isang masamang tingin lang or kantiyawan sa mga supporters at malaki ang tsansa na magkaroon ng rambulan diyan.

kaya ako katulad ng dati...... ay magdadala ng................................................ ......................................... helmet.

Howard the Duck
07-24-2006, 03:02 PM
The host could've been more considerate and selected a venue with better facilities in a far safer location. Such venues could have been the Blue Eagle Gym in Loyola Heights or ULTRA.

Ok lang sa BEG as long as Ateneo and UP would play on another venue.

07-24-2006, 07:10 PM
Thank you all for agreeing.* BEG is way safer than NAS--* meanwhile, the nearest arena, Rizal, should be condemned already.* DLSU should just buy the entire complex and make it a state of the art spectator sport mecca!

Let's lobby to make the NAS a safer sports haven for us and our children!!!!

atenean_blooded
07-24-2006, 07:29 PM

What other options do you propose? ::)

I see no merit in this proposal. This is just like La Salle requesting that the championship game of the football tournament be played in a different venue. In previous years (and I mean going way, way back), there have been hardly any complaints worth noting of the Blue Eagle Gym giving an unfair advantage to the Ateneo or UP. We've won and lost on this court.

Howard the Duck
07-24-2006, 09:04 PM

What other options do you propose? ::)

I see no merit in this proposal. This is just like La Salle requesting that the championship game of the football tournament be played in a different venue. In previous years (and I mean going way, way back), there have been hardly any complaints worth noting of the Blue Eagle Gym giving an unfair advantage to the Ateneo or UP. We've won and lost on this court.

The merit in this proposal is simple. UAAP is NOT a home-and-away league. With that in mind, Ateneo or even UP must not play in the BEG because, well, that is Ateneo's homecourt, and UP is just a taxi ride away.

All teams have an advantage on thier home court, kaya nga "homecourt" advantage. Kung gagawing home-and-away league ang UAAP, pwede pa.

So even if previous years walang complaints kahit sa present time and sa future wala na rin?

Sa ibang sports din yata ganito, like ang volleyball sa UP ginagawa, etc., but nobody seems to mind because since time immemorial doon na yata ginawa, hindi sila umaalis ng venue. Ang basketball iba't-ibang venues.

Kung gusto nyo sa BEG, then all games of all teams sa BEG na ng homey ang lahat.

easter
07-24-2006, 09:15 PM
Kung gagawing home-and-away league ang UAAP, pwede pa.

Kung gawin nga kayang home and away? Tutal ang lalapit lang naman nyang mga school na yan nasa metro manila lang. Kaya naman nalugi ang MBA ay dahil nag-eeroplano pa at hotel ang mga teams.

atenean_blooded
07-24-2006, 09:26 PM
The merit in this proposal is simple. UAAP is NOT a home-and-away league. With that in mind, Ateneo or even UP must not play in the BEG because, well, that is Ateneo's homecourt, and UP is just a taxi ride away.

All teams have an advantage on thier home court, kaya nga "homecourt" advantage. Kung gagawing home-and-away league ang UAAP, pwede pa.

So even if previous years walang complaints kahit sa present time and sa future wala na rin?

Sa ibang sports din yata ganito, like ang volleyball sa UP ginagawa, etc., but nobody seems to mind because since time immemorial doon na yata ginawa, hindi sila umaalis ng venue. Ang basketball iba't-ibang venues.

Kung gusto nyo sa BEG, then all games of all teams sa BEG na ng homey ang lahat.

I have not been given any decent alternatives.

The "home and away" contention does not have much merit. No other school in the metropolis has an athletic stadium in the league of the Blue Eagle Gym in terms of size and completeness of facilities. The closest thing would be the Xavier University Gym, in Cagayan de Oro. There's a reason why the UAAP is not a home-and-away league: no other school has a home court big enough to accomodate the fans.

Aside from this, fans are usually segregated. The obvious "homecourt advantage" as is the case in the NBA or US NCAA does not happen, because there is always a space allotted for fans of each school. Of course, if one school is more successful in having a crowd, then they simply have to sit where they can be seated.

The proposal also breaks down when one considers where Ateneo-UP games are to be held in the event that Araneta Coliseum is unavailable.

We still have yet to get complaints about an unfair advantage experienced by the Ateneo when playing in the Blue Eagle Gym. As far as I know, these past few seasons, we've usually outnumbered any opposing crowd anyway.

So, again, what alternative venues do you propose?

jancarlo
07-24-2006, 09:43 PM
Yup. Even in Ninoy Aquino Stadium we can still outnumber most of the schools. :)

Howard the Duck
07-24-2006, 09:56 PM

I have not been given any decent alternatives.

The "home and away" contention does not have much merit. No other school in the metropolis has an athletic stadium in the league of the Blue Eagle Gym in terms of size and completeness of facilities. The closest thing would be the Xavier University Gym, in Cagayan de Oro. There's a reason why the UAAP is not a home-and-away league: no other school has a home court big enough to accomodate the fans.

Aside from this, fans are usually segregated. The obvious "homecourt advantage" as is the case in the NBA or US NCAA does not happen, because there is always a space allotted for fans of each school. Of course, if one school is more successful in having a crowd, then they simply have to sit where they can be seated.

The proposal also breaks down when one considers where Ateneo-UP games are to be held in the event that Araneta Coliseum is unavailable.

We still have yet to get complaints about an unfair advantage experienced by the Ateneo when playing in the Blue Eagle Gym. As far as I know, these past few seasons, we've usually outnumbered any opposing crowd anyway.

So, again, what alternative venues do you propose?

Even the crappiest school with the crappiest gym gets to host their homecourt games. Even visiting DI schools play at DII schools. We can even have games in the NU Gym if the UAAP becomes a home-and-away gym, that way, there is homecourt advantage.

About complaints. So if you didn't attent SONA rallies does that mean you're pro-GMA? Not to mention that BEG is far from 6 other UAAP schools. Ateneans have been complaining that NAS is so far, yet the kids of SBC-Rizal take a hike whenever the Red Cubs play.

If you'd notice, sa Pinas lang hindi uso ang home and away format. Everybody else follows this. Sa atin na lang segregated. Di ba mas dangerous iyon? Unlike partisan ang crowd kung home/away at least ang heckling sa opposing players lang :D

Alternative venues? PhilSports Arena. Before you'd tell me there was a stampede there, it was on the soccer stadium, the place where ADMU and DLSU held their soccer final. Of course nothing beats the Araneta. Or, home and away na lang.

<ADDED> Or, sa BEG, as long as all games of all teams, even Finals are played there, 10 years straight, with no exceptions, come hell or high water.

For the record, ayoko rin sa NAS.

atenean_blooded
07-25-2006, 01:31 AM
Even the crappiest school with the crappiest gym gets to host their homecourt games. Even visiting DI schools play at DII schools. We can even have games in the NU Gym if the UAAP becomes a home-and-away gym, that way, there is homecourt advantage.

About complaints. So if you didn't attent SONA rallies does that mean you're pro-GMA? Not to mention that BEG is far from 6 other UAAP schools. Ateneans have been complaining that NAS is so far, yet the kids of SBC-Rizal take a hike whenever the Red Cubs play.

If you'd notice, sa Pinas lang hindi uso ang home and away format. Everybody else follows this. Sa atin na lang segregated. Di ba mas dangerous iyon? Unlike partisan ang crowd kung home/away at least ang heckling sa opposing players lang* :D

Alternative venues? PhilSports Arena. Before you'd tell me there was a stampede there, it was on the soccer stadium, the place where ADMU and DLSU held their soccer final. Of course nothing beats the Araneta. Or, home and away na lang.

<ADDED>* Or, sa BEG, as long as all games of all teams, even Finals are played there, 10 years straight, with no exceptions, come hell or high water.

Well, the UAAP cannot have a home-and-away format because THERE WILL BE NOWHERE FOR THE FANS TO SIT AND WATCH in most of the other schools. Can you imagine a UST-La Salle game in the cramped space of Enrique Razon Sports Center? Or a full Ateneo crowd in whatever gym UST currently has? Again, no school has a venue the size of the Blue Eagle Gym as of yet.

This is the case in the Philippines. I hope it is now clearer why we do not have that many home-and-away games.

Ateneans are complaining not (just) about the distance of NAS, but the lack of safety there. With regard to the relative distance of the Blue Eagle Gym, the gym is easily accessible, even coming from Manila. Oh, and the SONA analogy is cute, but it's an attempt at wit, at best.

I agree, however, that there can be alternative venues even to the Blue Eagle Gym. I agree that Philsports is one of them (I actually suggested this).

I however, do not understand the ridiculous reasoning that if the games are to be held in the Blue Eagle Gym, then even the finals ought to be held there. I also do not understand the arbitrary period of time proposed.

danny
07-25-2006, 02:34 AM
MonL,

Wala pa diyan yung problema sa labas ng Stadium. I have noted that right in front of the entrace of the stadium proper where you buy tickets is a small area where the supporters of the opposing teams congregate after the game.

Sa laban ng San Beda at Letran sa Miyerkoles siguradong mainitan yan. After the game, isang masamang tingin lang or kantiyawan sa mga supporters at malaki ang tsansa na magkaroon ng rambulan diyan.

kaya ako katulad ng dati...... ay magdadala ng................................................ ......................................... helmet.

Hindi pa din ba nabawasan ang "matalo manalo bugbog kayo" syndrome? Laos na yun ah. Yung mga istambay dun, usually mga frat members who are looking for cheap thrills. TAKOOOT AKOOOOOO.... :D

The best thing to do para maiwasan ang gulo , tambakan na lang ang kalaban. Demolish their morale in both the hardcourt and the gallery. Basta walang senstive na jeers against them, kung hindi pandemonium yan.

Hey attorney, any legal option to force NAS to open those locked entry/exit points?

At this point, the best thing to do is to have NAS open the other gates. It's that simple. I believe these gates have keys right? ;D

Tapos ang single entry/exit issue.

P.S.

This should be moved to the General Discussions. It's not just a UAAP or NCAA concern anymore.

LION
07-25-2006, 07:49 AM
Ka Danny,

I sent a text message to Commissioner De Luna of the Philippine Sports Commission and asked him to look into the matter. He is a Bedan and my fraternity brod. His office is located in the RMC complex just beside NAS. Kaya lahat ng laro ng San Beda sa NAS e napapanood niya.

Sayang at wala ka dito sa Pinas. It will be tough to celebrate by your lonesome when we finally get that crown. :D

LION
07-25-2006, 08:01 AM
^^^ Commissioner de Luna just replied and he said that he will talk to the NAS officials about it.

Kid Cubao
07-25-2006, 08:30 AM
yes, there's something fundamentally unsound with the way NAS's safety features and exiting systems are designed. the cages are meant to prevent fans from surging toward centercourt and from confronting each other in heated moments. however, they also trap the people enclosed inside and prevent the safe and orderly evacuation in cases of emergencies. for starters, i think the entrance and exit gates separating the upper and lower box sections should be widened to allow at least four adults to pass through at the same time.

Mateen Cleaves
07-25-2006, 08:51 AM
Not just the gates. Masyado din matarik yung mga hagdan. Delikado kung sabay-sabay na lumabas na ang mga tao. Minsan, mahirap makita yung dinadaanan mo. Easy to imagine somebody missing a step or two on these stairs.

Howard the Duck
07-25-2006, 09:18 AM

If you'd notice, sa Pinas lang hindi uso ang home and away format. Everybody else follows this. Sa atin na lang segregated. Di ba mas dangerous iyon? Unlike partisan ang crowd kung home/away at least ang heckling sa opposing players lang :D

<ADDED> Or, sa BEG, as long as all games of all teams, even Finals are played there, 10 years straight, with no exceptions, come hell or high water.

Well, the UAAP cannot have a home-and-away format because THERE WILL BE NOWHERE FOR THE FANS TO SIT AND WATCH in most of the other schools. Can you imagine a UST-La Salle game in the cramped space of Enrique Razon Sports Center? Or a full Ateneo crowd in whatever gym UST currently has? Again, no school has a venue the size of the Blue Eagle Gym as of yet.

This is the case in the Philippines. I hope it is now clearer why we do not have that many home-and-away games.

Ateneans are complaining not (just) about the distance of NAS, but the lack of safety there. With regard to the relative distance of the Blue Eagle Gym, the gym is easily accessible, even coming from Manila. Oh, and the SONA analogy is cute, but it's an attempt at wit, at best.

I agree, however, that there can be alternative venues even to the Blue Eagle Gym. I agree that Philsports is one of them (I actually suggested this).

I however, do not understand the ridiculous reasoning that if the games are to be held in the Blue Eagle Gym, then even the finals ought to be held there. I also do not understand the arbitrary period of time proposed.

The reason of a home-and-away system is that one team (the home team) will be comfey and homey. That also avoids people from other schools from coming up. Kaya nga mga tickets reserved for home fans, di ba?

Again, even the crappiest team with the crappiest gym gets to host their home games, no matter how bad or small their place is. For example, in soccer, if you play in the FA Cup, Manchester United has to play in Bristol Dynamos' (provided they go that far) homepitch, no matter how bad or small their place is.

On your last paragraph, the reason I said that is because all of the teams will be familiar to the ins and outs of the BEG court, like how to shoot the ball, where the three point line has the shortest distance, which part of the court the ball bounces perfectly, etc. Each court has its peculiarities, so if the UAAP plays there exclusively for 10 years straight, with no exceptions, the players will be familiar with the BEG, and hence, it ceases to be one team's "homecourt."

mangtsito
07-25-2006, 09:30 AM
UE (the hosts) said that the NAS deal was actually made because of the generous discounts involved. Well, now we know why the discounts are particularly generous. If anything goes wrong, we know who to blame.

=========

I agree that other venues should have been considered, and I'm particularly partial to the Ateneo-UP games being held in the BEG. For as long as I remember, the Ateneo has no real advantage over other teams when playing in that venue. We've lost to UP, UST and even NU in games held there --- and if someone argues about the convenience of the Ateneo crowd trooping to BEG, we only need to point out that the same crowd often outnumbers the opposing crowd that in other venues anyway.

=========

I hope that whoever the host is next year will make safety a primary consideration.

atenean_blooded
07-25-2006, 10:11 AM
The reason of a home-and-away system is that one team (the home team) will be comfey and homey. That also avoids people from other schools from coming up. Kaya nga mga tickets reserved for home fans, di ba?

Again, even the crappiest team with the crappiest gym gets to host their home games, no matter how bad or small their place is. For example, in soccer,* if you play in the FA Cup, Manchester United has to play in Bristol Dynamos' (provided they go that far) homepitch, no matter how bad or small their place is.

On your last paragraph, the reason I said that is because all of the teams will be familiar to the ins and outs of the BEG court, like how to shoot the ball, where the three point line has the shortest distance, which part of the court the ball bounces perfectly, etc. Each court has its peculiarities, so if the UAAP plays there exclusively for 10 years straight, with no exceptions, the players will be familiar with the BEG, and hence, it ceases to be one team's "homecourt."

I think I understand the rationale behind a home-and-away system, thanks. ::)

But I maintain that a home and away system will most likely not be used by a major league like the UAAP because, as I've been saying over and over, there are no spaces for fans to be accommodated in most schools' courts. The UAAP needs gate receipts.

How was this (rather silly) 10-year period arrived at? It seems quite arbitrary. College basketball games have been played in the Blue Eagle Gym since 1949. There will always be new players. By your logic, for players to be familiar, we will need to play at the Blue Eagle Gym forever, since there will always be players who will be even to a degree, quite unfamiliar with the Blue Eagle Gym. Of course, if you ask me, that's bordering on incompetence already.

Paul of Bataan
07-25-2006, 10:31 AM
off-topic: the term "homecourt advantage" applies more to the numbers edge of the "home" team over the "away" team. in short, kaya may homecourt advantage ay dahil mas maraming fans ang home team kesa visiting team. once a baller gets to the collegiate level, he or she is supposed to be skilled enough to adjust right away to the playing conditions of the moment. all other peculiarities are not that hard to adjust to. kung magaling ka, kahit sa semento ka maglaro o mababa ang ring ay magaling ka.

jembengzon
07-25-2006, 10:48 AM
Since we're already mid-first round, there's not much that can be done about the balance of the round- it's in RMC or NAS. what about the second round, anybody have an idea on venue ?

if it needs to be in south manila, what about cuneta ? that should be free now that PBA is done. or if in central manila, ultra or araneta ?

Howard the Duck
07-25-2006, 12:47 PM

Again, even the crappiest team with the crappiest gym gets to host their home games, no matter how bad or small their place is. For example, in soccer, if you play in the FA Cup, Manchester United has to play in Bristol Dynamos' (provided they go that far) homepitch, no matter how bad or small their place is.

I think I understand the rationale behind a home-and-away system, thanks. ::)

But I maintain that a home and away system will most likely not be used by a major league like the UAAP because, as I've been saying over and over, there are no spaces for fans to be accommodated in most schools' courts. The UAAP needs gate receipts.

How was this (rather silly) 10-year period arrived at? It seems quite arbitrary. College basketball games have been played in the Blue Eagle Gym since 1949. There will always be new players. By your logic, for players to be familiar, we will need to play at the Blue Eagle Gym forever, since there will always be players who will be even to a degree, quite unfamiliar with the Blue Eagle Gym. Of course, if you ask me, that's bordering on incompetence already.

Even though BEG has been hosting the games since 1949, it still shared the basketball games with other venues (Araneta, Rizal, ULTRA, etc.), so hindi siya "homecourt ng UAAP or NCAA" talaga. With the influx of new players, they'll be accustomed rather quickly kung puro sa BEG ang games, kasi they won't have to adjust to the humidity, temperature and ambience. Pero kung palipat-lipat ng venue, players from 7 schools won't adjust that fast, while the players from ADMU won't have to adjust. 10-years was arrived at because 10 years is a looooooong time.

Howard the Duck
07-25-2006, 01:06 PM
off-topic: the term "homecourt advantage" applies more to the numbers edge of the "home" team over the "away" team. in short, kaya may homecourt advantage ay dahil mas maraming fans ang home team kesa visiting team. once a baller gets to the collegiate level, he or she is supposed to be skilled enough to adjust right away to the playing conditions of the moment. all other peculiarities are not that hard to adjust to. kung magaling ka, kahit sa semento ka maglaro o mababa ang ring ay magaling ka.

You are right, but part of homecourt advantage is the "homey" experience that you have. You do not sleep in hotels, ride a bus to and from the stadium, etc.

Another part is the peculiarities of your home court/field/ice/pitch. There might be a slight bump at outfield, the floor wood is different (a style used effectively by the Celtics). Also the colors that you wear will have a meaning. Light=home, dark=away. So kung away ka, mas mainit ang suot mo.

Sa atin hindi talaga pronounced ang home-and-away kasi nga walang home-and-away league sa Pinas. MBA sana. HAIL din. Pero minor league lang ang HAIL, at maikli ang existence ng MBA nang malaman natin kung may difference.

Imagine, the Eagles playing at the NU Gym, baka manalo pa ang NU ng at least 7 games (half of the games are at home). At lalong may sense ang team standings, may homecourt advantage sa playoffs hehehe.

Sources: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_team

atenean_blooded
07-25-2006, 05:19 PM
Even though BEG has been hosting the games since 1949, it still shared the basketball games with other venues (Araneta, Rizal, ULTRA, etc.), so hindi siya "homecourt ng UAAP or NCAA" talaga. With the influx of new players, they'll be accustomed rather quickly kung puro sa BEG ang games, kasi they won't have to adjust to the humidity, temperature and ambience. Pero kung palipat-lipat ng venue, players from 7 schools won't adjust that fast, while the players from ADMU won't have to adjust. 10-years was arrived at because 10 years is a looooooong time.

I never said that the Blue Eagle Gym is the homecourt of the UAAP or NCAA! Where the heck did you get that idea? ::)

Realistically speaking, there are not too many venues which can boast of having the same facilities as the ones that are used by the major leagues--Araneta, ULTRA, Makati/Pasig Coliseums, Blue Eagle Gym (of course, no school-based court in the Philippines thus far can boast of the same basketball facilities as the Moro Lorenzo Sports Complex, which, rightly so, is used as a private training facility). These can accomodate the crowds, which is an important thing to these leagues.

The Ateneo Blue Eagles don't even hold their practices in the Blue Eagle Gym (which is usually used by Team B or by other varsity teams like our Futsal team, volleyball team, or even the BBB), since they practice in Moro. The "adjustment" scenario is untenable and unrealistic. Again, the 10 year period seems arbitrary. Adjustments can be made by most decent players either within a game or after several.

Howard the Duck
07-25-2006, 05:39 PM

I never said that the Blue Eagle Gym is the homecourt of the UAAP or NCAA! Where the heck did you get that idea? ::)

Realistically speaking, there are not too many venues which can boast of having the same facilities as the ones that are used by the major leagues--Araneta, ULTRA, Makati/Pasig Coliseums, Blue Eagle Gym (of course, no school-based court in the Philippines thus far can boast of the same basketball facilities as the Moro Lorenzo Sports Complex, which, rightly so, is used as a private training facility). These can accomodate the crowds, which is an important thing to these leagues.

The Ateneo Blue Eagles don't even hold their practices in the Blue Eagle Gym (which is usually used by Team B or by other varsity teams like our Futsal team, volleyball team, or even the BBB), since they practice in Moro. The "adjustment" scenario is untenable and unrealistic. Again, the 10 year period seems arbitrary. Adjustments can be made by most decent players either within a game or after several.

Nor did I say that you said that BEG is the homecourt of UAAP or the NCAA. ::)

In the UAAP, a team uses the BEG intermittently. For example, UST used the BEG on 2005 on their 4th game. Ateneo used BEG on their 4th and 6th game. Now if all teams played all their games, at BEG then they won't have to adjust each and every game. Guess what, UST lost that game and ADMU won both :D

What I'm saying here is that in order for the homecourt advantage of Ateneo at the BEG to be neutralized is to play all of the games of all teams in one place so that they won't have to adjust each and every time they talke the floor. They'll eventuially learn the "sweet spots", even good vantage points for their girlfriends, etc.

Or we can play at another place. But NAS simply sucks. :P

atenean_blooded
07-25-2006, 06:27 PM

In the UAAP, a team uses the BEG intermittently. For example, UST used the BEG on 2005 on their 4th game. Ateneo used BEG on their 4th and 6th game. Now if all teams played all their games, at BEG then they won't have to adjust each and every game. Guess what, UST lost that game and ADMU won both* :D

What I'm saying here is that in order for the homecourt advantage of Ateneo at the BEG to be neutralized is to play all of the games of all teams in one place so that they won't have to adjust each and every time they talke the floor. They'll eventuially learn the "sweet spots", even good vantage points for their girlfriends, etc.

This is pretty simple. If games are to be held in the Blue Eagle Gym, all a team has to do is arrange to practice there.

Incidentally, who was UST playing against in that 4th game? I'm pretty sure that the games were lost and won because of team play, not the venue. :)

There's also little backing for the assertion that the Blue Eagles actually enjoy a homecourt advantage in the Blue Eagle Gym, seeing as how they don't even practice there.

LION
07-25-2006, 06:45 PM
Pasensiya na mga kaibigan.* Pag nagbabalitaktakan kami ng asawa ko, I always let her say the last word. Wala namang mawawala sa akin. Tahimik pa ang buhay ko hehehe.

(scampers away, bahag pa ang buntot)* *:)

Howard the Duck
07-25-2006, 07:45 PM

In the UAAP, a team uses the BEG intermittently. For example, UST used the BEG on 2005 on their 4th game. Ateneo used BEG on their 4th and 6th game. Now if all teams played all their games, at BEG then they won't have to adjust each and every game. Guess what, UST lost that game and ADMU won both :D

This is pretty simple. If games are to be held in the Blue Eagle Gym, all a team has to do is arrange to practice there.

Incidentally, who was UST playing against in that 4th game? I'm pretty sure that the games were lost and won because of team play, not the venue. :)

There's also little backing for the assertion that the Blue Eagles actually enjoy a homecourt advantage in the Blue Eagle Gym, seeing as how they don't even practice there.

Games are half won and lost at the game venue. BTW, UST faced FEU. Not an easy opponent, but the score was close.

Now do basketball teams practice at their actual homecourts? No. Even Bird's Celtics practiced at the basement beneath their stadium. NBA teams have separate practice facilities, yet it is normal for a team to have a higher PCT at home rather than away.

atenean_blooded
07-25-2006, 07:55 PM
Games are half won and lost at the game venue. BTW, UST faced FEU. Not an easy opponent, but the score was close.

The first statement is a matter of opinion. It is baseless unless proven.

UST played FEU, which was seeded number 1. UST was seeded below 4th. You blame the defeat on the venue?

Now do basketball teams practice at their actual homecourts? No. Even Bird's Celtics practiced at the basement beneath their stadium. NBA teams have separate practice facilities, yet it is normal for a team to have a higher PCT at home rather than away.

We are talking about Philippine amateur basketball, where there are hardly any home-and-away games. The comparison to the NBA is irrelevant.

07-25-2006, 08:27 PM
Guys, we're sort of veering away from the topic, methinks. What we hardcore school team fanatics should concentrate on is how we can improve the NAS situation-- Kid Cubao and Mateen Cleaves' observations are correct, we need better stairs and wider entrances, very simple modifications, if you ask me.

We should let PSC know-- Heck, maybe Senator Gordon, who will prove he's an action man will do something about it-- for our and our kids' sake! ADMU diehards out there can surely contact the man.... ;)

Blue-o
07-26-2006, 10:54 AM
And to hold games at a venue that's a virtual island when the rains pour for just a few hours is just inconsiderate, unsafe and pro-leptospirosis!

danny
07-29-2006, 02:31 AM
Ka Danny,

I sent a text message to Commissioner De Luna of the Philippine Sports Commission and asked him to look into the matter. He is a Bedan and my fraternity brod. His office is located in the RMC complex just beside NAS. Kaya lahat ng laro ng San Beda sa NAS e napapanood niya.

Thanks to Commissioner De Luna, all the gates were opened after the San Beda game.

See....it's that simple. Open up the gates.

Lion, is it possible to ask the Bedan Commissioner to extend the same courtesy to our UAAP friends? Thay are also worried about the single exit-entry policy which is the topic of this thread on the first place. ;D

If there are more concerns other than the gates, then no immediate solution can be found by both the UAAP and the NCAA. Sorry.

admuhs_upengg
07-29-2006, 10:50 AM
Ka Danny,

Thanks to Commissioner De Luna, all the gates were opened after the San Beda game.

Lion, is it possible to ask the Bedan Commissioner to extend the same courtesy to our UAAP friends? Thay are also worried about the single exit-entry policy which is the topic of this thread on the first place. ;D

If there are more concerns other than the gates, then no immediate solution can be found by both the UAAP and the NCAA. Sorry.

I was bitten by a lot of mosquitoes during the Ateneo vs FEU game and given the time of that game (4 PM) and their prevalence during the rainy season, I just hope that they weren't of the dengue-carrying type. I noticed a lot of pools of stagnant water in some areas of the stadium. My family's stop-gap solution is to apply OFF lotion but maybe they should clear all pools of water and have the place fumigated during an off-day. Libre naman sa baranggay ang pausok :)

LION
07-30-2006, 01:16 AM
Ka Danny,

I sent a text message to Commissioner De Luna of the Philippine Sports Commission and asked him to look into the matter. He is a Bedan and my fraternity brod. His* office* is located in the RMC complex just beside NAS.* Kaya lahat ng laro ng San Beda sa NAS e napapanood niya.

Lion, is it possible to ask the Bedan Commissioner to extend the same courtesy to our UAAP* friends? Thay are also worried about the single exit-entry policy which is the topic of this thread on the first place. ;D

Ka Danny,

I asked Comm. De Luna to extend the same courtesy to the UAAP. Regarding crowd control, the UAAP schools should pool their resources together.

Regarding admuhs_upengg's concern re dengue- carrying mosquitoes, baka batukan na ako ni Comm. De Luna pag nilapit ko pa sa kanya hehehe.

Magdala na lang tayo ng LION - tiger katol. :D

atenean_blooded
07-30-2006, 01:55 AM
Ka Danny,

I sent a text message to Commissioner De Luna of the Philippine Sports Commission and asked him to look into the matter. He is a Bedan and my fraternity brod. His* office* is located in the RMC complex just beside NAS.* Kaya lahat ng laro ng San Beda sa NAS e napapanood niya.

Lion, is it possible to ask the Bedan Commissioner to extend the same courtesy to our UAAP* friends? Thay are also worried about the single exit-entry policy which is the topic of this thread on the first place. ;D

I was bitten by a lot of mosquitoes during the Ateneo vs FEU game and given the time of that game (4 PM) and their prevalence during the rainy season,* I just hope that they weren't of the dengue-carrying type.* I noticed a lot of pools of stagnant water in some areas of the stadium.* My family's stop-gap solution is to apply OFF lotion but maybe they should clear all pools of water and have the place fumigated during an off-day.* Libre naman sa baranggay ang pausok :)

I have a cheaper solution to the fumigation in NAS.

They should just allow smoking inside. ;D

admuhs_upengg
07-30-2006, 03:18 AM
Regarding admuhs_upengg's concern re dengue- carrying mosquitoes, baka batukan na ako ni Comm. De Luna pag nilapit ko pa sa kanya hehehe.

Its the only time I've ever been bitten by mosquitoes inside an air-conditioned stadium. I've had to fret thru high fever and plummeting platelet counts on 2 separate occassions with my wife and 2 year old son, not to mention the thousands of pesos in hospital bills so I have legit concerns.

atenean_blooded
07-30-2006, 04:32 AM
I would also like to note the dangerous nature of the floor. It's bad wood on cement. No padding.

danny
07-30-2006, 07:47 AM
You guys should also try what some freaks from the NCAA were doing before.

SINTRON NI HUDAS ;D

admuhs_upengg
07-30-2006, 10:39 PM
Big, big mistake to schedule UP, FEU, UE and Ateneo on the same day in such a cramped stadium. It was really funny when the announcer had to beg the UP and FEU supporters to leave right away because there were still a lot of people outside in the rain waiting to get in.

Scalpers made a killing at 500 for lower and 250 for upper.

allblue
07-31-2006, 12:50 AM
Of the 4 games that Ateneo played in the NAS, the only time we were put on the side where there are actually chairs in the Upper box and we could see the electronic scoreboard was the one against UP. Lagi dun sa pangit na side where you have to call people who are seated in front to tell you how much time is left in the game.

Really now, UE. If you're the host, isn't it proper behavior to be the one to sacrifice in favor of your guest? You want to play in that venue, you sit on the ugly side.

easter
07-31-2006, 09:55 AM
Big, big mistake to schedule UP, FEU, UE and Ateneo on the same day in such a cramped stadium. It was really funny when the announcer had to beg the UP and FEU supporters to leave right away because there were still a lot of people outside in the rain waiting to get in.

Yung ticket ba pang isang game lang yun? Mahal pala ng isang laro. ???

BigBlue
07-31-2006, 10:31 AM
obviously, NAS sold more tickets than their capacity.... grabe, when will our government officials learn????

I dont think NAS has the ability to do the same system that Araneta uses, where they sell additional tickets only when someone leaves the coliseum. its not right, and its not fair to expect fans to leave after the first game.

hopefully UE will take note of all of this in preparing the schedule for the next round.

jancarlo
07-31-2006, 11:22 AM
Kahit na matalo tayo sa UST on Sunday, tayo pa rin ang asa taas. Dahil dito, meron tayong 2 weeks na preparation before our next game which is most likely on August 17 or 19. Swerte nung maglalaro sa August 12 at 13 dahil sa Ultra/Philsports Arena sila maglalaro. Although ewan ko kung Ultra na yung magiging permanent venue for the 2nd Round.

Kung sa Araneta Coliseum sana ginawa ito, mas malaki pa kinita ng UE at mas konti or baka wala pa silang maririnig na negative reactions.

muddatrucker
07-31-2006, 03:23 PM
Scalpers made a killing at 500 for lower and 250 for upper.

I had to pay 350 for my upper box ticket. >:(

Yung ticket ba pang isang game lang yun? Mahal pala ng isang laro.
No. Dapat para sa dalawang laro pero sobrang dami (for NAS at least) lang talaga ng tao kaya pinaalis nila yung mga FEU-UP fans after the game.

freak
07-31-2006, 09:42 PM

Yung ticket ba pang isang game lang yun? Mahal pala ng isang laro. ???

I was kinda surprised when they asked the fans of the previous game's teams to leave the arena.. parang it was the first time the organizers did that.. kung ako ung FEU and UP fans hindi ako aalis.. on the ticket it shows the schedule of the two games, meaning that I paid to watch both games, and it is not my fault if the venue cannot accomodate the people outside.. how the hell were they able to get tickets when the venue's already packed anyway? ??? >:( ???

The hosts should have expected that there will be a larger crowd that will attend because all four teams are favorites to get into the final four, or at least they were in the preseason..

admuhs_upengg
08-01-2006, 09:16 AM
No one was forced to leave, they were just asking those who were leaving to do so quickly so that the people outside could go in.

admuhs_upengg
08-06-2006, 08:51 PM
Araneta Coliseum was packed. Upper A was SRO. UE (this year's host) should schedule any future gamedates with at least 3 of the following schools playing, Ateneo, UE, UP, FEU and UST at the Araneta. With such a huge crowd, any additional taxes charged by QC should easily be offset.

bluetruck
08-07-2006, 02:24 PM
No one was forced to leave, they were just asking those who were leaving to do so quickly so that the people outside could go in.

but it sounded like a request for them to leave asap.

vannnesssa
08-30-2006, 11:40 PM
i don't know any better topics to post this one other than under this heading.

Can anybody share any background of the Ninoy Aquino Stadium? We are doing a mock thesis and I chose to do something about the stadium... can someone help me with the history of the place?

Thanks!!!