PDA

View Full Version : Individual awards for Season 69

Howard the Duck
07-23-2006, 09:27 PM
Who is your MVP, ROY, Mythical 5 and Finals MVP?

john_paul_manahan
07-24-2006, 04:26 PM
ROY - Jervi Cruz / Migs de Asis

TOP 5: Jojo Duncil, JC Intal, Bonbon Custodio, Raba Al-Hussaini, Marvin Cruz (?)

Finals MVP: Macky Escalona (why not?)

DREDD
07-24-2006, 06:40 PM
ROY : JERVY CRUZ / DE ASIS

5 myth: jojo duncil, marvin cruz, ken bono, jc intal, marcy arellano

Finals MVP : JOJO DUNCIL

kryptonite
08-08-2006, 09:17 PM
Falcons center leads MVP hopefuls

By JOEL ORELLANA
The Manila Times Reporter

Kenneth Bonoís hard work is paying off, as he topped the points tally for the Most Valuable Player award after the first round of the 69th University Athletic Association of the Philippines menís basketball tournament.

The hefty 6-foot-5 center of Adamson University accumulated a total of 70.83 statistical points (SPs) based on the figures provided by Imperium Technology and Soho Connect with PLDT Vibe as official sponsor.

Bono is one of the three UAAP players to average a double-double after the first stage of the tournament, which Ateneo de Manila University leads with a clean 6-0 slate.

A big disappointment in the Falconsí last campaign, Bono is enjoying his best season yet. He was second in scoring with 20.3 points per game behind University of Santo Tomasí Jojo Duncil (21.4) and was fourth in rebounds (10.5) after the first round.

Ateneo dunk-master JC Intal is just behind Bono in the MVP race for the seniorsí division with 69.83 SPs, and could be the favorite to win the honor if he leads the Blue Eagles to the finals.

National University do-it-all forward Edwin Asoro is at third with 68.33 SPs, followed by flamboyant University of the East guard Bonbon Custodio (64.50) and Growling Tigersí rookie Jervy Cruz (64.33).

Asoro and Cruz are the other players averaging in double figures in points and rebounds. Asoro is norming 19 points, fourth in the league, and 10.7 rebounds (No. 3) per game while Cruz has posted 11.8 boards (No. 1) and 16 markers (No. 9) each time out.

Intalís teammate, Doug Kramer, is at No. 6 in the MVP derby with 63.33 SPs. The 6-foot-4 forward is also a top candidate to win this yearís Most Improved Player.

Duncil dropped to No. 7 with 59.40 SPs but was automatically ruled out of the MVP picture. He was suspended for a game in the first round for head-butting NUís Dave Catamora, disqualifying him from being MVP under league rules.

Rounding up the top ten are flashy University of the Philippines point guard Marvin Cruz (59.17), Red Warriors hitman Mark Borboran (59.00) and Far Eastern University guard Jonas Villanueva (58.17).

kryptonite
08-08-2006, 09:21 PM
MVP: JC Intal (ADMU)
ROY: Jervy Cruz (UST)
M5: J. Villanueva (FEU), B. Custodio (UE), K. Bono (AdU), JC Intal (ADMU), E. Asoro (NU)
FINALS MVP: D. Kramer (ADMU) or B. Custodio (UE)

FINALS: Ateneo vs UE

bluebruiser90
08-09-2006, 07:06 AM
MVP - JC Intal

Mythical First Team -

PG - Marvin Cruz
SG- Bon Bon Custodio
SF- JC Intal
PF- Doug Kramer
C - Ken Bono

Mythical Second Team

PG -Jonas Villanueva
SG- Edwin Asoro
SF- Migs De Asis
PF- Mark Borboran
C-* Jervy Cruz

ROY - Migs De Asis (assuming Jervy Cruz does not qualify)

Finals MVP - Macky Escalona

theunderdog
08-11-2006, 01:31 AM
season and finals mvp: jc intal

mythical 5: intal, marvin cruz, ken bono, bon custodio, doug kramer

roy: migs de asis

final 4: admu,ue,adamson,feu

cheesenose
08-11-2006, 03:26 PM
MVP: Jojo Duncil is out of the running, now that he's been suspended for a game. Maybe Ken Bono, if his team makes it to the finals, or either JC Intal or Doug Kramer for Ateneo.

RoY: Migs De Asis??? Don't make me laugh. There's more to ball than shooting it from deep. I'd go with Jervy Cruz, hands down. He might even be considered for MVP.

Mythical 5, First Team

Jonas Villanueva: Hands down, the best point guard in the league. Sorry, UP fans.
Bonbon Custodio: Already has a pro game
Edwin Asoro: Might actually be the best player in the league already, if he can cut back on his attempts from 3.
JC Intal: He may not always lead his team in scoring, but then again, Scottie Pippen hardly ever did either.
Ken Bono: Takes a Mack Truck to stop him in the post.

Mythical 5, Second Team

Jeff Chan: Has to carry the load for FEU every single time.
Patrick Cabahug: Range to the parking lot.
Doug Kramer: Great hands and a soft touch. Tough too.
Roel Hugnatan: Works hard and seems to be involved in every loose ball. Reminds me of Celtic great Dave Cowens.
Jervy Cruz: Moves well without the ball, and already has a pretty polished post game.

Coach of the Year: Norman Black - No one perpares his team better.

Finals MVP: Macky Escalona - Plays with heart, toughness, and a willingness to take big shots, all of which are needed at the highest levels.

pio_valenz
08-11-2006, 05:54 PM
^Jervy Cruz might not be qualified to win the ROY because of his age.

arjay_g
08-11-2006, 08:20 PM
Season MVP: JC Intal

ROY: Migs de Asis (but I would have picked Jervy Cruz if he was elligible)

Mythical 1st team:
Ken Bono
JC Intal
Edwin Asoro
Bonbon Custodio
Jojo Duncil

Mythical 2nd team:
Doug Kramer
Jonas VIllanueva
Marvin Cruz
Jervy Cruz
Mark Borboran

Most Improved: Doug Kramer

Finals MVP: Macky Escalona or JC Intal.

john_paul_manahan
08-12-2006, 03:47 AM
after the 1st round:

ROY: Jervy Cruz (if he is eligible)

- i would watch out for Woody Co come the 2nd round, not de asis.

MIP: Ken Bono

- you can thank Leo Austria for this...

Mythical 1st Team:

G - Jonas Villanueva (FEU): the best PG in the UAAP
G - Bonbon Custodio (UE): scoring machine
C - Ken Bono (AdU): the Adamson Hub
F - JC Intal (AdMU): the Rocket
F - (tie) Edwin Asoro (NU) / Doug Kramer (AdMU): either player is deserving: Asoro for carrying the Bulldogs and Doug for his consistency

2nd Team:

F - (tie) Asoro / Kramer: see above
F - Jeff Chan (FEU): the gunner is leading the Tams' charge up.
C - Jervy Cruz (UST): analogy - UST:Phoenix, then Jervy:Amare (a poor man's version)
G - Jojo Duncil (UST): MVP contender (but blew it with the headbutt)
G - Marvin Cruz (UP): no doubt can score, but can he lead?

Mateen Cleaves
08-12-2006, 07:44 AM
^Ken Bono has always been good. But the one who has really taken huge strides under Austria is Hugnatan. If there is indeed a Most Improved Player award, I'd say that Hugnatan would be the better candidate for that than Bono.

BTW, how old are Gerilla and Baracael of FEU? Why aren't they being mentioned as ROY candidates?

atenean_blooded
08-12-2006, 06:30 PM
MVP: JC Intal
ROY: Eric Salamat or Jervy Cruz
MIP: Doug Kramer

Mythical 5:

Intal
Escalona
Kramer
Custodio
Bono

Coach of the Year: Norman Black

Bias?

Nope. Results.

arhtmahn
08-14-2006, 06:55 AM
^Ken Bono has always been good. But the one who has really taken huge strides under Austria is Hugnatan. If there is indeed a Most Improved Player award, I'd say that Hugnatan would be the better candidate for that than Bono.

BTW, how old are Gerilla and Baracael of FEU? Why aren't they being mentioned as ROY candidates?

I agree 100% about Hugnatan getting the nod over Kramer. Gerilla and Baracael are from FEU's Team B and will probably not qualify for the award like J. Cruz.

The ROY award will most likely go to a Fighting Maroon, but my vote goes to Co not De Asis or Reyes. He's putting in more consistent numbers and is heir apparent to David.

I am still a bit undecided about my Mythical 5. I've already conceded the 2 spot to Custodio over Duncil and Arellano. Bono and Intal have the 5 and 3 spots, respectively, but J. Cruz and Borboran are stating their cases well. Asoro and Villanueva have the 4 and 1 spots, respectively, but there are others who are still in the running and may make very strong closing arguments.

Coach of the Year? Manny Dandan or Leo Austria depending on how their teams finish up.

The Sixth Man Award should be given to M. Cruz regardles of technicalities. He is now undoubtedly the best PG in the league coming off the bench.

pio_valenz
08-14-2006, 03:28 PM
MVP: JC Intal
ROY: Eric Salamat or Jervy Cruz
MIP: Doug Kramer

Mythical 5:

Intal
Escalona
Kramer
Custodio
Bono

Bias?

Nope. Results.

No offense, dude, but Eric Salamat for ROY? Based on what? The only game he was instrumental in was against UP. After that he pretty much didn't contribute. Um, yeah, medyo may bias.

I think Japs Cuan should also get some consideration for MIP. Si Janhke din sana, but his one-game suspension will cost him.

Mateen Cleaves
08-14-2006, 04:55 PM
I agree 100% about Hugnatan getting the nod over Kramer. Gerilla and Baracael are from FEU's Team B and will probably not qualify for the award like J. Cruz.

I compared Hugnatan to Bono, not Kramer. Somebody had posted that Bono was a candidate for MIP.

Nevertheless, I don't think Kramer is a candidate for Most Improved Player either. Not because I don't think he's any good. But I think that his big leap upward was LAST year. He was just overshadowed by Tenorio's last playing year. But he was already playing solidly then. This year, his consistent production has finally begun to get noticed

atenean_blooded
08-14-2006, 07:14 PM
I missed on Woody Co. Ok, he's a prospect for ROY too.

Sixth Man award to Marvin Cruz? Well, he's helped lots of other teams win, if you know what I mean.

freak
08-14-2006, 08:01 PM
Can anybody state the rule that may make Jervy Cruz ineligible for the ROY award? ???
By the way he's playing (and they way UST has been leaning on him for the past few games) he's sure to run away with the award.

...of course if he's ineligible I hope it's Salamat ;D

arjay_g
08-15-2006, 02:51 AM
Question.... the mythical 5 isn't really sensitive to specific positions diba? I mean, they include 2 guards, 2 forwards and 1 center, not necesarilly 1 PG, 1 SG, 1 SF, 1 PF, and 1 C, right?

Jump_Shooter
08-15-2006, 05:35 PM
^Correct. IIRC, last year the two forwards were Arwind Santos and Edwin Asoro, both power forwards.

john_paul_manahan
08-15-2006, 05:44 PM
basta 2 f, 2 g, and a C

arjay_g
08-16-2006, 03:07 AM
Okay, in that case I'm sticking with my original awards except for the ROY. I forgot about Woody Co. I'm picking him over Migs De Asis for ROY. :D

Mel
08-16-2006, 08:27 AM
Here's my take as of Aug. 16

MVP: Bono
Mythical Team: 1st)Bono,Kramer,Intal,Custodio,Escalona 2nd) J. Cruz,Asoro,Chan,Arellano, Villanueva
Defensive Player: Escalona
ROY: De Asis
Sixth Man: Garcia (NU) or Gerilla
Most Improved: Martinez/Hugnatan
Vector Plus: Bono/Tiu

arhtmahn
08-18-2006, 09:56 PM
I know this is very late, but a lady friend, after learning what ROY stood for during the UP-NU game, nominated Marvin Cruz for the double-barreled BOY TOY award: Bugnutin of the Year and Turnover-er of the Year.

atenean_blooded
08-19-2006, 10:37 AM
I know this is very late, but a lady friend, after learning what ROY stood for during the UP-NU game, nominated Marvin Cruz for the double-barreled BOY TOY award:* Bugnutin of the Year and Turnover-er of the Year.

He should be Sixth Man or MVP. He's immensely valuable to all the other teams.

person
08-19-2006, 10:57 AM
de asis has been off the last games of up...at least cruz has been constantly getting double doubles...so ROY would be cruz...
ROY:Jervy Cruz
MIP:either Poloyapoy, Cuan, Fernandez, Jhanke or Ababou

Mythical 5
First Team:
Escalona
Villanueva
Chan
Intal
Bono

Second Team:
Arellano
Duncil
Custodio
Asoro
Cruz

Posterized
08-19-2006, 11:56 AM
Shouldn't Chris Tiu be considered for MIP as well? For his first two years in the UAAP, he looked like as if he wouldn't pan out in the league of the big boys but look at him now, a starter for the league-leading Ateneo Blue Eagles and contributes mightily.

Or is he also under the "He's-just-fulfilling-his-potential" argument like Bono?

bluetruck
08-22-2006, 01:48 PM
Shouldn't Chris Tiu be considered for MIP as well? For his first two years in the UAAP, he looked like as if he wouldn't pan out in the league of the big boys but look at him now, a starter for the league-leading Ateneo Blue Eagles and contributes mightily.

Or is he also under the "He's-just-fulfilling-his-potential" argument like Bono?

chris' ability to deliver when it matters most makes him the favorite for this award. there are a lot of guys who can play but only a handful can deliver the points during the clutch and chris is one of them.

arjay_g
08-23-2006, 04:24 AM
My revised individual awards: ;D

Season MVP: Ken Bono

ROY: Woody Co

MIP: Chris Tiu or Roel Hugnatan

Mythical 5:
1st team
Ken Bono
JC Intal
Doug Kramer
Bonbon Custodio
Jojo Duncil

2nd team
Jervy Cruz
Edwin Asoro
Jeff Chan
Jonas Villanueva
Mark Borboran

Finals MVP: JC Intal or Macky Escalona.

Sportsmanship Award (if ever there was one): Nestor David

yungha
08-23-2006, 11:40 AM
in my opinion, most improved player should be rabeh al-hussaini.

ppg rpg apg bpg spg
2005 stats 1.0 1.3 0 0.2 0
2006 stats 8.6 8 0.1 0.6 0.1

sophomore slump of the year - elmer espiritu. i thought this would have the best year among last year's freshman rooks. turns out he's not even the best soph on his team - it's james martinez.

arjay_g
08-23-2006, 12:47 PM
in my opinion, most improved player should be rabeh al-hussaini.

* * * * * * * * * * * *ppg* * rpg* apg* bpg* spg*
2005 stats* * * * *1.0* * 1.3* * 0* * 0.2* * 0
2006 stats* * * * *8.6* * *8* * *0.1* 0.6* *0.1

sophomore slump of the year - elmer espiritu. i thought this would have the best year among last year's freshman rooks. turns out he's not even the best soph on his team - it's james martinez.

no... chirs tiu should be MIP...

ppg rpg apg bpg spg
2005 stats 0.0 0.0 0 0.0 0
2006 stats 10 4 2 0.1 1

:D biro lng po sir yungha. ;D couldn't help myself.

*disclaimer: hindi po yan ang totoong '06 stats ni chris tiu.*

Mel
08-26-2006, 10:42 PM
Why not Ken Bono for MIP?
Hehe. Yung mga nag-project na Intal/Escalona
ang Finals MVP are gambling on the Blue Eagles...

bluebruiser90
08-28-2006, 10:37 AM
How about the individual awards for the women's and juniors divisions?

cub
08-28-2006, 11:55 PM
Bacon Austria for Jrs. MVP

muddatrucker
09-01-2006, 07:26 PM
MVP: Ken Bono
MIP: Doug Kramer/Chris Tiu
Mythical 5: Bono, Intal, Chan, Custodio, Escalona/Tiu
Coach: Norman Black
Finals MVP: ayoko baka majinx :D

Mateen Cleaves
09-02-2006, 05:40 AM
Bacon Austria for Jrs. MVP

Austria might be the better college prospect. But my vote would be for Mike Gamboa.

Raging Blue
09-02-2006, 10:52 AM

ppg rpg apg bpg spg
2005 stats 0.0 0.0 0 0.0 0
2006 stats 10 4 2 0.1 1

:D biro lng po sir yungha. ;D couldn't help myself.

Pareng Arjay, following your logic, La Salle should be the hands down favorite to win the most improved team for UAAP Season 70 :D

arjay_g
09-04-2006, 07:06 PM

* * * * * * * * * * * *ppg* * rpg* apg* bpg* spg*
2005 stats* * * * *0.0* * 0.0* * 0* * 0.0* * 0
2006 stats* * * * *10* * * *4* * *2* * 0.1* * 1

:D biro lng po sir yungha.* ;D couldn't help myself.

Pareng Arjay, following your logic, La Salle should be the hands down favorite to win the most improved team for UAAP Season 70* :D

Hahaha... onga noh? :D

para hindi off topic: Ken Bono for MVP. ;D

zooma123
09-07-2006, 03:10 PM
MVP: Ken Bono -
ROY: Jervy Cruz - Without his inside game, UST wouldn't be where they are now; no respect to Duncil and co, but he was there in every game, a stabilizing presence. Woody Co my second choice.
MIP: Tiu or Hugnatan...?? There are actually other players deserving of this award

Mythical 5:
1. Bono
2. Intal
3. Custodio
4. Escalona
5. Kramer/Cruz - a toss up basically...Duncil, Jeff Chan, Jonas could also make a case here...

BigBlue
09-07-2006, 06:58 PM
although we all know Ken Bono is king when it comes to stats, the won-game bonus points matter a lot. and for that reason. Adamson almost didnt make it to the Final Four.
Based on those items, I have a hunch that JC would be crowned MVP.

jombag16
09-07-2006, 08:05 PM
guys,

jervy maybe ineligible 'coz he's already 20. duncil is ineligible for any award for the headbutt against catamora of NU. baracael and gerilla of feu are no longer rookies since they were recruited while playing for U of Visayas i think.

my picks:

mythical 5:

Bono- season mvp hands down
Intal- hands down to this leader
Custodio- smooth jumpshot makes him pba material
asoro- flexible game but must cut down his 3's
jeff chan- consistent throughout

Roy- tough pick here... one of the UP rookies or Salamat..

MIP- hugnatan or chris tiu. you'll love tiu coz he wasn't in the team last yr and yet he's able to make those clutch 3's down the stretch.

Coach of the year- Norman black

john_paul_manahan
09-07-2006, 08:29 PM
maybe the uaap should redefine the awards...

the ROY as the freshman of the year: best freshman this season (which is, for me, woody co)

or the newcomer of the year: any first-timer in the UAAP (hands-down: jervy cruz)

freak
09-07-2006, 10:58 PM
^^ pwede to not only will it separate the "true rookies" from the "newcomers" but also make the selection process clear for both awards para wala na masyado reklamo sa winners

gameface_one
09-12-2006, 08:40 AM
Adamsonís Bono, Ateneoís Intal set pace in MVP race

The Philippine Star 09/12/2006

The Most Valuable Player trophy in Season 69 could end up in the hands of either Ken Bono of Adamson or JC Intal of Ateneo de Manila. In the PLDT vibe-backed computations arrived at by the leagueís official statisticians, Bono and Intal came out ahead of the pack with 74.17 and 73.17 MVP statistical points, respectively, after 12 elimination round games. The hefty, bull-strong Bono, on one hand, led the league in scoring and was second in rebounds with averages of 21.8 points and 11.1 boards to power the Falcons to their first semifinal stint since the Final Four format was introduced.

The long-limbed, high-leaping Intal, on the other hand, was more of a do-it-all player finishing third in points (17.9), tied for second with teammate Macky Escalona and State Uís Marvin Cruz in assists (4.8) and seventh in rebounds (7.4) and in steals (1.0). He is one of reasons the Eagles ended up with a league-best 10-2 (win-loss) slate in the preliminaries to clinch the top seeding in the semis and the twice-to-beat incentive that goes with it.

The two could end up facing each other in the Final Four. That is if Bono and the Falcons lose to the Santo Tomas Tigers in their playoff for the No. 3 seeding on Thursday at the Philsports Arena.

A dark horse MVP also looms in the horizon in USTís Jervy Cruz, who was No.1 in rebounds (12.8), second in blocks (1.3) and sixth in points (16.3) to finish with 68.92 statistical points.

Cruz, who hails from Nueva Ecija, helped the Tigers seal a spot in the Final Four for the first time since making it four years back.

Another Cruz (not related) in Marvin of UP was at No. 4 with 62.00 points while Ateneoís Doug Kramer zoomed up at No. 5 with 60.17 points.

Rounding up the top 10 were Far Eastern Uís Jeff Chan (58.50), University of the Eastís Bon Bon Custodio (57.83), National Uís Edwin Asoro (57.17), FEUís Jonas Villanueva (56.60) and UEís Mark Borboran (56.25).

The race for the Rookie of the Year plum is equally interesting with four likely contenders in UPís Migs de Asis, Woody Co and Martin Reyes and Ateneoís Eric Salamat emerging.

De Asis, a member of the 2005 UAAP juniors champion La Salle-Zobel team, leads the four with 33.92 points, barely ahead of Co, a standout from Xavier School, with 32.42.

Reyes, De Asisí Zobel teammate, was No. 3 with 28.55 while Salamat, a finals MVP last season when San Sebastian won the NCAA juniors crown, followed suit with 27.36. ó Joey Villar

gameface_one
09-12-2006, 08:50 AM
Bono, Intal lead UAAP MVP race
mb.com.ph

KEN BONO of the Adamson Falcons and JC Intal of the Ateneo Blue Eagles made the MVP race a two-way battle after the elimination round of the 69th UAAP basketball tournament.

Bono topped the SP chart with 74.17 followed closely by Intal with 73.17.

Jervy Cruz of the University of Sto. Tomas Tigers was far third with 68.92.

Bono led the league in scoring with 21.8 points per game and ranked second in rebounding with 11.1 average while anchoring the Falcons to their first Final Four appearance since the format was introduced in 1994.

He had a season-high 33 points in a victory over the University of the Philippines Maroons in the second round.

Intalís numbers are more balanced, averaging a third-best 17.9 points, seventh-best 7.4 rebounds and second-best 4.8 assists as he led the Eagles to the best record in the league at 10-2.

The high-leaping forward also hit two game-winners for the Eagles this season, including one against the Falcons.

Rounding out the top five in stats were Marvin Cruz of the Maroons and Doug Kramer of the Eagles with 60.17 each.

Teammates Migs de Asis and Woody Co are also neck-and-neck in the battle for Rookie of the Year award. De Asis led the stats race with 33.92, but Co was right on his tail with 32.42.

óNoli CRUZ

Mel
09-12-2006, 04:24 PM
maybe the uaap should redefine the awards...

the ROY as the freshman of the year: best freshman this season (which is, for me, woody co)

or the newcomer of the year: any first-timer in the UAAP (hands-down: jervy cruz)

Very good suggestion..

Since the ballots for the MVP and Mythical 5 are out na raw...here's my vote:

MVP: Bono

Mythical 5: Bono,J. Cruz, Intal,Custodio, Escalona

zooma123
09-12-2006, 05:28 PM
Recalibrating my forecast then...

MVP: Bono (JC would be my bet, but Bono has just been awesome this year, finally living up to his potential)
Mythical 5: Bono, Intal, Jervy Cruz, Custodio, 5th spot: Jeff Chan, Kramer or Escalona (kung kaya).
ROY: Woody Co - better all around game than other co-rookies as of now...
MIP: Open field...Tiu, Hugnatan, Hussani, Martinez of UE would be the leading favorites though...
Coach of the Year: Austria or Black..

cub
09-12-2006, 11:13 PM
MVP: Bono sana, kaso nga lang, as we all know, the league is run by a very "powerful" institution.. kaya Intal na lang..:D
Mythical 5: Bono, Intal, Jervy Cruz, Marvin Cruz, Custodio
MIP: Kramer

patupup
09-13-2006, 05:08 PM
Coach of the Year (Srs.) - Pido Jarencio (UST)
Coach of the Year (Jrs.) - Patrick Aquino (UPIS)

Seniors MVP - Bono (ADAMSON)
Junoirs MVP - Rivera (FEU)

kryptonite
09-14-2006, 09:53 AM
MVP: JC INTAL
MYTHICAL 5: PG- Marvin Cruz, OG- Bonbon Custodio, SF- JC Intal, PF- Jervy Cruz, C- Ken Bono

bluebruiser90
09-18-2006, 02:22 PM
Leo Austria for Coach of the Year.

john_paul_manahan
09-18-2006, 04:32 PM
dogfight yan between pido and leo.

jersey#12
09-18-2006, 10:29 PM
May I ask when will they give the awards? Is it like in the NCAA, before Game 1 of the Seniors' Championship game?

gameface_one
09-18-2006, 10:41 PM
Ekwe bags NCAA rookie, MVP plums
abs-cbnnews.com

San Bedaís Samuel Ekwe was named the 82nd National Collegiate Athletic Associationís Most Valuable Player and Rookie of the Year during awarding ceremonies at the Araneta Coliseum Monday.

The 6-foot-8 Nigerian exchange student won the MVP award over Philippine Christian Universityís Gabby Espinas. Ekwe finished the season with an efficiency rating of 17.3 percent, an average of 13.8 rebounds and 2.8 blocks per game.

Espinas was NCAAís rookie and MVP awardee in 2004.

As of this writing, the Red Lions and the Dolphins were battling for Game 1 of the NCAA fnals. Game 2 has been set for Wednesday, also at the Big Dome.

5FootCarrot
09-19-2006, 08:30 AM
(Bakit may NCAA article sa UAAP forum? ???)

May I ask when* will they give the awards? Is it like in the NCAA, before Game 1 of the Seniors' Championship game?

IIRC, the UAAP season-end awards for basketball are given before Game 2 of the men's finals, which is always assumed to be the last game of the season.

Also, re: Coach of the Year, I think Dindo Pumaren was supposed to get it back in 2004, but the league decided to award it to the coach of the winning men's team of the season (meaning brother Franz got the trophy - someone remind him to return that, too). I think Bert Flores won it last year, so maybe this policy will hold again this year.

jersey#12
09-21-2006, 12:43 PM
May I ask when will they give the awards? Is it like in the NCAA, before Game 1 of the Seniors' Championship game?

IIRC, the UAAP season-end awards for basketball are given before Game 2 of the men's finals, which is always assumed to be the last game of the season.

---------------------------------

thanks 5footcarrot for the info.

arjay_g
09-23-2006, 07:51 AM
My re-calibrated awards:

MVP: Ken Bono

MIP: Chris Tiu

Mythical 5: Ken Bono, JC Intal, Jervy Cruz, Jeff Chan, Marvin Cruz.

* Isn't Jervy Cruz classified only as a center? If so, eh di sila ni Bono ang maglalabanan sa center spot ng mythical 5 hindi ba? and i think Bono will have the edge then. If this happens, and Cruz is struck off the mythical5 due to a technicality, then I'll put in Kramer for the other forward spot. Sa Gilette Vector Plus Break-out Player na lang si Jervy kung ganun. hehe.*

bluebruiser90
09-23-2006, 05:09 PM
Makaksama kaya si Bon Bon Custodio sa Mythical Five? Kung makakasama siya, sisipot kaya siya sa awarding?

UAAP will take the easy way out and bypass him for any individual award.

kornell
09-24-2006, 12:55 AM
all-uaap

mvp
intal or j. cruz (mr. double2)

frontline
bono
j. cruz
kramer
backcourt
intal
bonbon (kaso talunan eh)

MIP
though tiu might win it, a. espiritu is my darkhorse! the guy is the best passing 3 in the UAAP. no offense to intal whose one of the league leaders in the assists dept. but this guy espirutu just knows how to find the open man. he can drop dimes out of a hat!

Mel
09-26-2006, 08:11 AM
An inside source informed me that Kenneth Bono will be named MVP this Thursday.
Abangan.

bluebruiser90
09-26-2006, 09:56 AM
Matunog din ang usapan na makakasama ni JC si Doug sa mythical 5.

BigBlue
09-26-2006, 10:23 AM
Matunog din ang usapan na makakasama ni JC si Doug sa mythical 5.

hmmm.. so no room for Jervy at all?? interesting...

bluebruiser90
09-26-2006, 10:39 AM
Siguro dahil classified siya na CENTER. Kay Bono na yung slot.

BigBlue
09-26-2006, 11:15 AM
guess we'll have to look forward to another "monster" performance from him on thursday, once he finds out that he was snubbed.

-------
edited to add: then again, we might have a monster game from JC as well to prove that he is the MVP....

israeli
09-26-2006, 11:27 AM
this year's Mythical Five could possibly include Marvin Cruz (PG), Bonbon Custodio (SG), Ken Bono (C), JC Intal (SF) and Doug Kramer (PF). Jervy Cruz will not be included because he is classified as a center for the UST Tigers.

Rookie of the Year? hmmmm... it might go to Woody Co, the most consistent of Joe Lipa's new wards. :)

Most Improved Player? hmmmm... i am thinking that it would go to Chris Tiu but i hope that Nestor David gets the award because of his consistent improvement since his first playing year in the UAAP. ;)

pio_valenz
09-26-2006, 03:00 PM
An inside source informed me that Kenneth Bono will be named MVP this Thursday.
Abangan.

Heard the same thing. And supposedly Jervy Cruz was also named to the Mythical Five. If true, finally the awards committee has chosen the five best players regardless of position. FGT posted his fearless forecast in another thread, and he's right on the money, at least based on what I've heard: Bono, Jevy Cruz, Jeff Chan, JC Intal, and Marvin Cruz.

israeli
09-26-2006, 03:18 PM
^ ayos din yan, sir pio. at least, that is a well-represented Mythical Five. ;)

any idea as to who will be named ROY on Thursday? ;D

Agent 008
09-26-2006, 04:00 PM
If a major sponsor picked JC as their choice I think that will carry a lot of weight...maybe even 3 cavans of rice :)

israeli
09-27-2006, 12:26 PM
there are circulating rumors about the make-up of this year's Mythical Five and the players awarded as 2006 Most Valuable Player and 2006 Rookie of the Year...

2006 UAAP MYTHICAL FIVE, according to rumors...

Marvin Cruz, UP Fighting Maroons
Jeff Chan, FEU Tamaraws
Jervy Cruz, UST Growling Tigers
JC Intal, Ateneo Blue Eagles
Ken Bono, Adamson Falcons

2006 UAAP MVP, according to rumors... KEN BONO, ADAMSON FALCONS.

2006 UAAP ROY, according to rumors... WOODY CO, UP FIGHTING MAROONS.

Wang-Bu
09-27-2006, 01:57 PM
MVP: Kay Ken Bono na ito. Sa kauna-unahang pagkakataon nakapasok ang Adamson sa Final 4 at naglaro ng larong MVP si Bono nung makalaban nila ang Ateneo. Maganda din ang maturity na pinakita ni Bono nitong buong season.

ROY: Woodie Co, garantisado. Baka may mailaban si Eric Salamat gawa ng nakapasok sa Finals ang Ateneo, pero mas maganda ng 'di hamak ang ginawa ni Co para sa UP.

Kung may Defensive Player of the Year: Jervy Cruz, dahil sa blocks at rebounds. Kapag wala si Cruz para sa UST wala ng kadepe-depensa ang UST. Mas mahalaga sa depensa kaysa sa opensa si Cruz.

MYTHICAL FIVE (Kung walang kinalaman sa position): Ken Bono, Jervy Cruz, JC Intal, Jonas Villanueva, Marvin Cruz.

israeli
09-27-2006, 03:45 PM
^ tapos na ang laban at hulaan. i already got a confirmation from a UAAP player that Ken Bono is indeed this season's MVP; that Woody Co is this season's ROY; and that the Mythical Five is comprised of Marvin Cruz of UP, Jervy Cruz of UST, Jeff Chan of FEU, JC Intal of Ateneo and Ken Bono of Adamson.

jembengzon
09-27-2006, 03:52 PM
congratulations then to all of them: ken bono, woody co, marvin cruz, jeff chan, jervy cruz and jc intal. truly deserving for their performances this year. :)

patupup
09-27-2006, 03:55 PM
^ tapos na ang laban at hulaan. i already got a confirmation from a UAAP player that Ken Bono is indeed this season's MVP; that Woody Co is this season's ROY; and that the Mythical Five is comprised of Marvin Cruz of UP, Jervy Cruz of UST, Jeff Chan of FEU, JC Intal of Ateneo and Ken Bono of Adamson.

excellent selection!

how about "Most Improved Player"?

israeli
09-27-2006, 03:58 PM
^ nakalimutan sabihin sa akin nung UAAP player eh. i'll try to ask him kung sino ang MIP this year. :)

pio_valenz
09-27-2006, 04:18 PM
^Nakalimutan nga bang sabihin sa iyo or hindi lang nasama sa post ni astro_boy sa peyups? ;)

israeli
09-27-2006, 04:25 PM
^ no. checked it with my own source. nagkataon lang na match dun sa sinabi ni astro boy sa peyups. ;)

pio_valenz
09-27-2006, 04:27 PM
Could you ask him today and tell us then?

israeli
09-29-2006, 12:27 PM
^ already got a reply from him, a player of the FEU Tamaraws. manood na lang daw kayo bukas para hindi masira ang element of suspense. ::)