PDA

View Full Version : What are Benitez and Gatchalian doing now?

alberto aguilera
07-18-2006, 10:30 AM
I hope Benitez and Gatchalian are doing fine. I remember that DLSU admin promised to help them continue their education. Any news on what they are doing now? Have they transferred to a new school?

brian
07-18-2006, 01:20 PM
last i heard, si benitez is playing in the mvbl ba yun, a visayan basketball league....no news on gatchailan nor of their plans in the future in lieu of the uaap/dlsu fiasco..hope evrything works out fine for them though..

MVBA
07-19-2006, 01:34 AM
last i heard, si benitez is playing in the mvbl ba yun, a visayan basketball league....no news on gatchailan nor of their plans in the future in lieu of the uaap/dlsu fiasco..hope evrything works out fine for them though..
* * *Center Mark Lester Benitez played six games in the recent Mindanao Visayas Basketball Association ML Kwarta Padala First Conference for Team Cagayan de Oro, averaging 7.7 points per game.

Click on these related links to learn more:

Gameface MVBA Forum (http://www.gameface.ph/forums/index.php?board=30.0)

:) MVBA Friendster Account (http://www.friendster.com/mvba)

brian
07-19-2006, 01:48 AM
my bad...MVBA not mvbl.....thanks!

Sam Miguel
08-24-2006, 09:17 PM
One of my spies reported a Tim Gatchalian sighting in the uber hardcore Bahay Toro district of QC, the one district where the local team beat the SMC travelling all-stars.

It's good to know Mark Benitez is being a productive basketball player in the MVBA, thank you for the information. Is Mark Benitez of Mindanao provenance?

MVBA
08-24-2006, 10:06 PM
It's good to know Mark Benitez is being a productive basketball player in the MVBA, thank you for the information. Is Mark Benitez of Mindanao provenance?
* * *Actually, player Mark Lester Benitez is temporarily BANNED from playing in our league after his team the Cagayan de Oro Rapids committed the very unsportsmanlike act of withdrawing in the middle of the tournament.* However, he will be automatically reinstated once he files an appeal. This early, some teams have inquired about acquiring his services for the next conference that will begin in September.

* * *Benitez is not from Mindanao but from Rizal Province.* Our rules last conference stipulated that each team may hire a maximum of two Luzon-bred players to serve as imports, to be fielded one at a time.* Benitez was partnered with former NU Bulldog Cesar Estolano at the Rapids.

Joescoundrel
09-11-2006, 06:07 PM
I wonder if Timmy and Mark Lester were listening to Robbie Puno's radio program on Sports Radio this morning?

EngWalker
09-11-2006, 06:22 PM
I wonder if you've already realized that this is going nowhere coz it is just a tactic of the UAAP board to put a good team down?

Or are you scared shit in your pants just by thinking that Franz will be back next year?

You can't fight like a man.

Joescoundrel
09-11-2006, 06:34 PM
Oh. So they were listening after all.

bigfreeze_bibby
09-12-2006, 09:36 AM
Any succeeding posts regarding the "revisitation" of the DLSU eligibility scandal in this thread will be deleted. You may discuss them in the UAAP forums. I believe a thread was created in that forum to discuss that issue.

Warning also to Joescoundrel and Eng Walker for making "catchy" posts that can result to non-sense bashing later on.

Out_Of_The_Blue
09-12-2006, 04:47 PM
Any succeeding posts regarding the "revisitation" of the DLSU eligibility scandal in this thread will be deleted. You may discuss them in the UAAP forums. I believe a thread was created in that forum to discuss that issue.

Warning also to Joescoundrel and Eng Walker for making "catchy" posts that can result to non-sense bashing later on.

Bibby, with due respect, you should not forewarn members about outrightly deleting their future posts about the DLSU eligibility scandal. After all, the same topic still concerns DLSU basketball which is still within the purview of this forum. I however think that when the members use your forum deliberately to bash and not to discuss the issues here based on facts, that's the time that you can impose your authority to delete the posts. Otherwise, you will be guilty of grave abuse of discretion as the mod of this forum.

I, for one, will be looking forward to hearing the views of the La Sallians regarding this hot issue. It will be just fair for La Sallians to be allowed to share their thoughts regarding this specially when the questions and issues are raised here in the Green Archers' Range which is a La Salle forum. In any case, you as the mod, will have full control over the discussions.

canmaker
09-12-2006, 11:16 PM
Benitez is supposedly trying out with the Magnolia team in the pbl ...

--------------------------

mangtsito
09-13-2006, 03:16 AM
Speaking from the point of view of someone scared shit in his pants due to the porspect of Franz Pumaren being back next year, and not being able to put a good team down, I'd just gotta ask again (and delete my post if you will):

I wonder if Gatchalian and Benitez have read or listened to the reports of the resurfacing of the La Salle scandal. Will they go on with their lives avoiding the big names that are breathing on their necks?

Fried Green Tomato
09-13-2006, 04:50 AM
Life goes on for gatchalian.

Last i heard, he just finished high school again(?) at JRU. He had a failing mark in one subject only (oratorical/speech or whatever they call it).

As to where he's going for college... that still remains a mystery.

And this is what's boggling me... If he plays for a uaap team, do you consider him a rookie? No more residency needed since his La Salle stint was invalid?

bigfreeze_bibby
09-13-2006, 07:47 AM
Out, with this "revived" issue coming out, mababalik ulit tayo sa usapan ng mga events that had transpired for the past 11 months, which I think shouldn't be talked about in this thread. My apologies since I should have used the term "move posts" and not "delete posts".

I doubt if Tim will go to a UAAP school for college. The problem with this case is that there is no any sworn statement. Ang labanan ay mauuwi lang sa words of this camp versus the words of that camp, which is quite hard to determine who the final winner is.

shyboy
09-13-2006, 11:59 AM
Most La Sallians have moved on when the suspension decision was meted out early this year. Resurrecting this issue leaves a bad taste in the mouth. This is the only thing I can say... Pwe!!!!!!! Manhid na kami sa kakatira ng kung sinu-sino.

On the other hand, the good thing is that DLSU and the La Salle community is coming out of this better and stronger than ever. The school does not need to report to anyone on what corrective and/or preventive measures it has done. Everyone else can continue to party on with this issue if that makes them happy.

jembengzon
09-14-2006, 02:44 PM
no disrespect intended,* but i do think the last few posts should be moved to the thread in the uaap forum, as they seem to have strayed from what tim and mark are doing now, which is the topic of this thread.* the posts would better serve the thread in the uaap forum

shyboy
09-14-2006, 03:01 PM
Masyadong pilit na pilit yung accusations and possible consequences to make it appear that DLSU needs to do some explaining. Baka naman yung UAAP Board eh hindi fully naniniwala dun sa statements ni Benitez. *Tapos kayo lang ang nagpapalaki. *In the end, history will judge how La Salle fared after this brouhaha.

If you truly value your relative from LSGH, you can tell him that studying there doesn't necessarily make him a cheat, the same way that having Aquila Legis and corrupt-politician schoolmates doesn't likewise make you a killer nor a corrupt individual. *Or are you?

Ranger
09-14-2006, 05:02 PM
As far as I know, these are not new findings by the UAAP fact finding committee (I would be really surprised if this committee still exists - is it now a permanent fixture of the UAAP?), but excerpts taken from the board report. Someone leaked a copy of the report to someone in the media, and that's how it resurfaced. But if that's the board report that was used as the basis to suspend us, then there's really nothing new, and the matter was already decided on when the UAAP suspended us. Unless someone wants to reopen that case where the suspension was already handed out? What is this - double jeopardy?

Now, if this is an entirely new issue that is really credible (for example, how'd Derek get into the picture - he wasn't involved with the DLSU program anymore), then who's raising the issue within the UAAP? Per the rules, a member school should formally initiate the discussion for it to prosper - let's not have any more of that "common knowledge" excuse to look into the matter. Either a representative of a member school takes it up officially at the board level as a complaint, or it's a non-issue, newspaper and media accounts notwithstanding.

As far as we're concerned, the matter was already decided on, we accepted the decision, and we've moved on. It's no use discussing the matter any further.

Nel/FGT,

The issue here is not the penalty that was meted out to DLSU but the new questions that surfaced as a result of the "new" revelations - "new" because this is the only time that the public got hold of the document and this is the first time that the public is questioning the intentions of the people involved. Alam nyo na pala ito dati pa, e bakit ipinagkatago-tago nyo pa ng matagal???

Both the UAAP board and DLSU are on trial here. You should not just close your eyes and accept the fact that your people can just walk away with immoral acts. DLSU said before that it was on their own initiative that they blurted out the cases of ineligibility. Now, even this is being questioned as DLSU knew before hand that Benitez shouldn't have played in the championship games but still never cared to do the right thing. DLSU said before that the culprits were "only "Salgado and Lacson." Apparently, from the testimonies of your own Benitez, this is apparently not the case. DLSU said before that it exercised full disclosure to the results and proceedings of its own fact finding committee. Why then did it not release its own findings to the UAAP board?

For the UAAP board, why was this document not released to the Public? Was there are a deliberate atempt to conceal some facts?

I have a relative who is studying in La Salle Greenhills. He is now oftentimes teased as "studying in a school of cheaters" by his friends. Now, he doesn't want to go to school anymore because he doesn't want to be called a "cheater" too.

If these do not in anyway affect your pride and honor of being "proud La Sallians" as you claim, then we simply have no case here.* The image of Salgado, Lacson, Derek Pumaren, and Bro Casingal will forever pervade the image of DLSU as an educational institution of "cheats" as long as La Sallians remain to be mum about these issues.* *

Pare warning on your post. It might trigger bashing later on.

Jump_Shooter
09-14-2006, 09:25 PM
no disrespect intended,* but i do think the last few posts should be moved to the thread in the uaap forum, as they seem to have strayed from what tim and mark are doing now, which is the topic of this thread.* the posts would better serve the thread in the uaap forum

I sort of agree. But I leave it to my co-moderator bigfreeze bibby here to make the decision whether or not to merge the last few posts with the La Salle Scandal Part 2 thread over at my forum. Whatcha think, bibby?

Sam Miguel
09-14-2006, 09:49 PM

I sort of agree. But I leave it to my co-moderator bigfreeze bibby here to make the decision whether or not to merge the last few posts with the La Salle Scandal Part 2 thread over at my forum. Whatcha think, bibby?

Out, CUT THIS SHIT OUT! Take it to the UAAP Forum.

Jesus H Christ, I thought I misfired on the search bar and wound up in PEx...

atenean_blooded
09-15-2006, 01:00 AM
Off-topic:

It's pretty funny how emotions seem to ride so high in threads like these. Ad hominems start flying like arrows (no pun intended). It's pathetic, really. Of course, Out here has touched a nerve. Things here are quite defensive, and we can perhaps dismiss the ad hominems from the aggrieved as some sort of knee-jerk, involuntary, and defensive reaction of sorts. Enough bickering. As I said in a different post, if there's one thing that La Salle deserves, it's justice. And that's best accomplished by prosecuting those who got it embroiled in this little scandal. Okay. Enough about that.

I agree that the replies to this thread not directly connected with "What are Benitez and Gatchalian doing now" should be merged with the thread in the UAAP forum.

On-topic:

FGT: I'm not sure if Benitez or Gatchalian can still play for 5 years in the UAAP. I'm not sure if their ineligibility wiped out their playing years. However, I'm of the opinion that their ineligibility doesn't do that, since if it did, then the suspension would have no ground because it would be as if Benitez and Gatchalian never played in the UAAP. Fact of the matter is, they did. This is on record by UAAP records, statisticians, and the media.

Has La Salle extended any assistance to Benitez and Gatchalian in finding a high school?

AnthonyServinio
09-15-2006, 01:53 AM
It is up to the league to determine their admission status as to whether or not their previous UAAP experience will be counted.

If they are accepted as "fresh" SY 2006-2007 high school graduates, the most they could play is around two to three seasons of college ball because by then they will be at the age limit of 24 or 25 depending on what league their school belongs to.

Fried Green Tomato
09-15-2006, 02:33 AM
In as much as i want to answer out_of_the_blue's rebuttal, this is not the "proper thread (forum)" to argue - my apology to the moderator & to others for the confusion that transpired - AND i've said more than enough regarding the off-topic discussion.

AB:

I think during La Salle's press conference, and if i'm not mistaken, Dra. Quebengco mentioned about "La Salle is going to assist the two in finding a high school if ever they need the institution's assistance". Whether they have done it privately (as it is not our habit to always hype the good things we do) or other La Sallians have done it on their own initiative is beyond me, you and the others. La Salle (as an institution) and the two opted to keep quiet on this matter and until such time when one party talks in public about it then I think we have no right to dwell into some private matters... let's just respect the status quo that they opted to choose.

Also, assisting the two during the height of the controversy is a no-win situation for us that's if you follow the thinking of our detractors - if we assist them, then they would think that we were bribing the two for their cooperation and silence. But if we don't, then it was tantamount to neglecting our moral obligation to the two "victims".

Simply, i do not know.

Fried Green Tomato
09-15-2006, 03:15 AM
On-topic:

FGT: I'm not sure if Benitez or Gatchalian can still play for 5 years in the UAAP. I'm not sure if their ineligibility wiped out their playing years. However, I'm of the opinion that their ineligibility doesn't do that, since if it did, then the suspension would have no ground because it would be as if Benitez and Gatchalian never played in the UAAP. Fact of the matter is, they did. This is on record by UAAP records, statisticians, and the media.

It's like two colliding realities.

So far, as a result of the controversy, one fact (beyond doubt now) emerged - benitez & gatchalian are not eligible for college due to fake PEPTCR. Thus whether in reality they indeed played for La Salle in the uaap, from the legal point of view, they should have not existed at all or the existence was invalid from the beginning. If they don't have the right to go to college then they don't have the right playing in the uaap.

We are presented here with the reality that benitez and gatchalian played in the uaap (we all know it happened) and another reality from the legal stand point stating that whatever transpired we should now invalidate as they should not be there in the first place. And since the legal reality has more weight, if ever benitez and/or gatchalian (on the premise that they now acquire High School diploma) wish to play for another school in the uaap, are we going to treat them as rookies (newly graduates from high school) and not as transferees from La Salle needing residency? ???

Remember, as of now, the UAAP board has not acted yet on La Salle's status regarding its 2004 crown thus technically La Salle wasl the champion of that year and the two were members of La Salle squad.

bigfreeze_bibby
09-15-2006, 06:58 AM

Pre, I'll move some of the posts here to your forum. Paki-merge na lang. Thanks. I can't help but answer to Out's post regarding the kid who is studying in LSGH na inaasar that he is studying in a school of cheaters. Ang opinion ko dyan is that magpapaapekto ka ba with that kind of "insult" that you are getting? Besides, every school (or should I say every person in us) has its own set of cheaters from time to time. Nakapag-cheat din tayo in one way or the other in our lives (in exams, in girlfriends, in projects, etc wag magmalinis please). Bahala kayo if you think I am stupid with my kind of analogy. This is my own mind set regarding this matter.

Going back on track: Alam naman natin na paiba-iba ang sets of rules ng UAAP every year hehe. Tingin ko the UAAP will lean towards accepting them as new students but my gut feel also says that I doubt if Benitez and Gatchalian will play in a UAAP school. NCAA will be a better option for them since mas defined ang rulebook dun and at least they can start something new.

atenean_blooded
09-15-2006, 09:02 AM
On-topic:

It's like two colliding realities.

So far, as a result of the controversy, one fact (beyond doubt now) emerged - benitez & gatchalian are not eligible for college due to fake PEPTCR. Thus whether in reality they indeed played for La Salle in the uaap, from the legal point of view, they should have not existed at all or the existence was invalid from the beginning. If they don't have the right to go to college then they don't have the right playing in the uaap.

We are presented here with the reality that benitez and gatchalian played in the uaap (we all know it happened) and another reality from the legal stand point stating that whatever transpired we should now invalidate as they should not be there in the first place. And since the legal reality has more weight, if ever benitez and/or gatchalian (on the premise that they now acquire High School diploma) wish to play for another school in the uaap, are we going to treat them as rookies (newly graduates from high school) and not as transferees from La Salle needing residency? ???

Remember, as of now, the UAAP board has not acted yet on La Salle's status regarding its 2004 crown thus technically La Salle wasl the champion of that year and the two were members of La Salle squad. *

Interesting propositions. I'm not sure if this is going to be the "legal" point of view, because as I pointed out, if they "didn't exist," then there could have been no rule violation. We all know that wasn't the case.

Ranger
09-15-2006, 09:49 AM
As far as I know, these are not new findings by the UAAP fact finding committee (I would be really surprised if this committee still exists - is it now a permanent fixture of the UAAP?), but excerpts taken from the board report. Someone leaked a copy of the report to someone in the media, and that's how it resurfaced. But if that's the board report that was used as the basis to suspend us, then there's really nothing new, and the matter was already decided on when the UAAP suspended us. Unless someone wants to reopen that case where the suspension was already handed out? What is this - double jeopardy?

Now, if this is an entirely new issue that is really credible (for example, how'd Derek get into the picture - he wasn't involved with the DLSU program anymore), then who's raising the issue within the UAAP? Per the rules, a member school should formally initiate the discussion for it to prosper - let's not have any more of that "common knowledge" excuse to look into the matter. Either a representative of a member school takes it up officially at the board level as a complaint, or it's a non-issue, newspaper and media accounts notwithstanding.

As far as we're concerned, the matter was already decided on, we accepted the decision, and we've moved on. It's no use discussing the matter any further.

Nel/FGT,

The issue here is not the penalty that was meted out to DLSU but the new questions that surfaced as a result of the "new" revelations - "new" because this is the only time that the public got hold of the document and this is the first time that the public is questioning the intentions of the people involved. Alam nyo na pala ito dati pa, e bakit ipinagkatago-tago nyo pa ng matagal???

Both the UAAP board and DLSU are on trial here. You should not just close your eyes and accept the fact that your people can just walk away with immoral acts. DLSU said before that it was on their own initiative that they blurted out the cases of ineligibility. Now, even this is being questioned as DLSU knew before hand that Benitez shouldn't have played in the championship games but still never cared to do the right thing. DLSU said before that the culprits were "only "Salgado and Lacson." Apparently, from the testimonies of your own Benitez, this is apparently not the case. DLSU said before that it exercised full disclosure to the results and proceedings of its own fact finding committee. Why then did it not release its own findings to the UAAP board?

For the UAAP board, why was this document not released to the Public? Was there are a deliberate atempt to conceal some facts?

I have a relative who is studying in La Salle Greenhills. He is now oftentimes teased as "studying in a school of cheaters" by his friends. Now, he doesn't want to go to school anymore because he doesn't want to be called a "cheater" too.

If these do not in anyway affect your pride and honor of being "proud La Sallians" as you claim, then we simply have no case here. The image of Salgado, Lacson, Derek Pumaren, and Bro Casingal will forever pervade the image of DLSU as an educational institution of "cheats" as long as La Sallians remain to be mum about these issues.

Pare warning on your post. It might trigger bashing later on.

Out of the blue's comments is already bashing....unless you believe its true... I know my previous post is TRUE!!!!

Ranger
09-15-2006, 09:59 AM
On-topic:

Has La Salle extended any assistance to Benitez and Gatchalian in finding a high school?

DLSU is not extending anymore assistance to Benitez and Gatchalian in anyway because statements of Benitez in DLSU ad hoc committee is different from what his statements are in the UAAP fact finding committee!!! Thus convincing DLSU committee members that Benitez is not credible...

Bennie Bangag
09-15-2006, 03:31 PM
in what way, ranger? i thought his statements were quite consistent till the end...

gfy
09-16-2006, 10:29 AM
Shouldn't Bro. Casingal at least reply to the testimonies of the father and son Benitez? Derick did. It is really DLSU's business if they want to sanction more people who may be involved in the cheating. But the UAAP can and should. And forget about the government investigating this matter. Dong Puno said it all in his column today.

Out_Of_The_Blue
09-16-2006, 11:16 AM

Out, CUT THIS SHIT OUT! Take it to the UAAP Forum.

Jesus H Christ, I thought I misfired on the search bar and wound up in PEx...

Sam, they can always move the threads to the UAAP forum. ;)

nel
09-16-2006, 11:26 AM
Derick didn't reply to the testimonies referred to - he reacted because Puno mentioned his name in his column.

The UAAP has already considered the testimony contained in the committee report when hit handed out a 1 year suspension. The UAAP has already acted on it. According to Ricky Palou, as far as the UAAP is concerned, the matter is closed. Bro. Bobby doesn't have to reply - who should he explain himself to? Not Dong Puno. Not the UAAP - they've closed the matter. Last I looked, nobody has filed any new issues before the UAAP board, despite all the noise some people are generating.

What happened was unfortunate, but given all the evidence that was gathered, the matter has ALREADY been decided on by the proper authorities - the UAAP. Trial by public opinion isn't going to happen.

Out_Of_The_Blue
09-16-2006, 01:12 PM
Nel, at least we both agree that what happened was really unfortunate.

The question now is, what, as responsible christian students and individuals, can we do to make sure that the truth is not curtailed and that the same will never happen again?

Resigning to the fact that the case is already close because the UAAP already rendered its decision and the UAAP/La Salle didn't make public all the facts surrounding the case, will not make us learn more from this mistake nor prevent others from doing this or other similar unlawful acts in the future.

nel
09-16-2006, 02:46 PM
Nel, at least we both agree that what happened was really unfortunate.

The question now is, what, as responsible christian students and individuals, can we do to make sure that the truth is not curtailed and that the same will never happen again?

Resigning to the fact that the case is already close because the UAAP already rendered its decision and the UAAP/La Salle didn't make public all the facts surrounding the case, will not make us learn more from this mistake nor prevent others from doing this or other similar unlawful acts in the future.

out,

I'm glad we agree on that. Why don't we just agree to disagree on the matter of how this "scandal part 2" is being handled? I pity Benitez and Gatchalian, because what happened will cost them a few years of their lives, and will affect their possible future career as basketballers.

I'm not privy to what specific measures the school has taken, but they have made sure that it cannot happen again. What these are will be divulged by the school if it sees fit to do so. Since our educators and administrators are competent at what they do, the omission notwithstanding (it was an exception), I believe that they will prevent a recurrence. We won't have any more situations like this.

We don't know what went on in the UAAP deliberations before they decided to suspend La Salle. I suggest that you ask your school rep - he may be able to satisfy your curiosity more than I or any of our posters here can.

BTW, La Salle doesn't have to publish or announce what it's doing to the general public.

Fried Green Tomato
09-16-2006, 03:25 PM
Corrective measures have been taken but it is not for public consumption. Until such time there is a formal investigation to sort out some portions from the fact-finding report that some are insisting highly important, don't expect official members of our community to dignify with an answer anything that has been reported.

But if you really want to do something good for the sake of the youth in our country, then focus your attention & energy to completely revamp the uaap especially the representation in the board. As we have seen in the last controversy they handled, they were incompetent and inept. The "old boys" system should be dismantled and replaced with competent no non-sense individuals for the protection of all.

As for La Salle and the the individuals mentioned in the report, it's an internal problem within the community and we are going to resolved it among ourselves. Just as we try to solve our problems, do the same in your own backyard or much better initiate a move to reform the uaap... i would even join such move if ever they start it.

gfy
09-16-2006, 06:09 PM
Nel - I think Derick denied/explained some of the statements made by the father and son. As it is, the perception is that Bro. Casingal tried to tell Mark what not to do or say. Of course, it is up to him if he wants this cleared up.

nel
09-16-2006, 06:53 PM
Nel - I think Derick denied/explained some of the statements made by the father and son. As it is, the perception is that Bro. Casingal tried to tell Mark what not to do or say. Of course, it is up to him if he wants this cleared up.

gfy - only in reaction to Puno's column. He was never in the picture during the UAAP's investigaiton, possibly because the committee found the testimony of Benitez a bit difficult to believe. If they found his testimony credible, Derek and Bro. Bobby would have been asked to air their side by the committee. I don't think they were invited to give their side, so I am supposing that the committee didn't give the testimony any credence. This matter only resurfaced when Puno wrote about it. I think that the least Puno could have done as a "responsible journalist" was to get the other side by talking directly to the UAAP and La Salle instead of casting aspersions on the character of the people he cited. That's what they teach in Journalism 101.

bigfreeze_bibby
09-16-2006, 09:36 PM
People, it seems that the discussions are going back again to the orignal case and I am seeing the same answers and opinions posted in various fora. I am closing this thread for the meantime and I advice to re-direct your discussions in the UAAP forums. Thanks.