PDA

View Full Version : The Real Score

Gil_Andrews
07-05-2006, 04:29 PM
This thread is for those stories or should I say controversies we heard in the past but were not actually confirmed nor denied by the parties involved. This is an opportunity for those in the know to clear things out.

Let me start by sharing with you my recent conversation with Derek Hubalde - a former UST Tiger about the reasons why he bolted out De La Salle in the last minute to join UST as a college rookie.

He said it was true that he was already lured by La Salle to join the team and he was with them in the practise/exhibition pre-UAAP games. He even joined the team in their training in the US. Apparently, when they came back from the US, he was informed by Coach Franz himself that he didn't pass the DLSU entrance exam and that it would be better for him to stay first with their training pool for 1 year. Coach Franz apparently said that he could make an appeal for his case and the same will only be considered if he decides to stay with the training pool (team B). He couldn't believe it because he knew that he passed the entrance exam with ease. Derek said that La Salle had the penchant of getting so many recruits at that time. Unfortunately, he was competing with the likes of BJ Manalo, Ren ren Ritualo, Mike Cortez, and James Yap for the position.

Derek felt so bad that he almost considered going to FEU after. In the end, he considered UST because of the winning tradition it had in the previous years. He reiterated that he was not "traidor" as what the La Sallians branded him in those days. In fact, from his point of view, it was La Salle that broke its promise.

bigfreeze_bibby
07-10-2006, 08:29 AM
I don't think Derek was branded as traitor when he transferred to UST. Wala naman akong narinig na against him, as far as I am concerned, from La Salle students or supporters. From what I know, everybody treated it normally, putting it as a normal recruitment pros and cons. But definitely, he would have been a big addition to La Salle's lineup had he suited for the Green Archers.

Fried Green Tomato
07-11-2006, 04:45 AM
I don't recall lasallians calling derek hubalde a "traitor" as he was never a lasallian at all.

Yes, derek was one of the players invited to join the try-outs of La Salle. When the team went to the US, he was included being a possible member of the team. Unfortunately, he didnt pass the entrance exam. end of story.

Let's just say that if his score was within the range for "reconsideration" the team would appeal his case since they really like derek to be a part of the team. Unfortunately that was not the case.

spinach
07-11-2006, 04:40 PM
You could have faxed the results of his entrace exams to the proper authorities. If Limpot and Cardel were "reconsidered" I think there is no reason why derek would not be reconsidered. May bababa pa ba sa IQ ni Cardel at Limpot?

Paul of Bataan
07-11-2006, 04:46 PM
hep-hep, ingat lang tayo sa mga ganyang hirit.

spinach
07-11-2006, 04:59 PM
^ Just can't help but voice out the obvious. Since when did the entrance exams prevent them from hiring the services of their players?

Anyway, back to regular programming.

Out_Of_The_Blue
07-11-2006, 10:28 PM
Yes, derek was one of the players invited to join the try-outs of La Salle. When the team went to the US, he was included being a possible member of the team. Unfortunately, he didnt pass the entrance exam. end of story.

Did Benitez and gatchalian pass the entrance exam?

Fried Green Tomato
07-12-2006, 07:00 AM
^ Just can't help but voice out the obvious.* Since when did the entrance exams prevent them from hiring the services of their players?

Anyway, back to regular programming.

And what's the obvious then? Do you have the facts to back up your claim? And since you're trying to be smart, why not share to us what you know?

RedKfir
07-12-2006, 07:23 AM
Guys, we're losing focus here, the topic is about Derek Hubalde. If you want to talk about other former La Salle players then I suggest you create a separate topic for it. In the meantime, it's interesting to hear both sides of the story. I heard so many stories about that Derek Hubalde issue in DLSU and I'm glad that Lasallites here decided to let us read their side of the issue.

Apocrypha
07-18-2006, 09:12 AM
This thread is for those stories or should I say controversies we heard in the past but were not actually confirmed nor denied by the parties involved. This is an opportunity for those in the know to clear things out.

I think that the threadstarter meant for this thread to be about more than just Derek Hubalde. At least that is what the above quote is telling me.

Since a previous poster already raised the question, I would be really interested to know if Benitez and Gatchalian did pass the DLSU entrance exam.