PDA

View Full Version : Gabby Espinas: PCU Main Man

gameface_one
07-02-2006, 09:11 AM
Espinas gets NCAA plum
abs-cbnnews.com

Philippine Christian University has lived up to its billing by placing solo second this early in the 82nd National Collegiate Athletic Association basketball tournament.

Gabby Espinas, the 2004 Rookie-Most Valuable Player, averaged only eight points in the ’04 NCAA champions’ first two games, but his presence enabled the Dolphins to post two straight victories after losing their opening match to the Mapua Tech Cardinals, 42-47.

The feat, which pushed the squad to solo second with a 2-1 win-loss mark, gained him the nod of the NCAA Press Corps, who voted Espinas as the first Player of the Week for the 2006 season.

Espinas, who only had nine points on poor three-of-10 shooting against Mapua, then rose to the challenge by leading PCU to a thrilling 74-72 win over the 11-time champion San Sebastian Stags on Friday.

"If Gabby plays well, there’s a really strong chance for us to win the game. He just needs to be focused all the time and challenge himself at crucial times that he can lift the team to victory," said new PCU head coach Joel Dualan.

In PCU’s first win, Espinas managed eight points in the Dolphins’ 70-66 victory against San Beda Red Lions.

Espinas is expected to pull off stronger performances in the next few games to bolster his bid in the Philippine Basketball Association rookie draft this August.

"I told him that if he really wanted to make it to the pros, this is the right opportunity for him to show them that he really deserves to be there. It’s all in his mindset," Dualan said. Frank Calapre

Howard the Duck
07-15-2006, 12:25 PM
Isit me or is Gabby pacing himself for the PBA?

LION
07-16-2006, 09:12 AM
^^ I don't think so Howard.* Madali lang talagang bantayan sa opensa si Espinas.* He is not that quick and his moves are really predictable.* Sa isang side lang siya may galaw.* Another weak point of Espinas is his temper.* Masyadong pikon ang player na ito and that affects his game.

Espinas however is strong and defense is his bread and butter.* He has never been a prolific scorer but he is an excellent rebounder and plays like Ben Wallace inside the paint.

Like what Joel Dualan said, this is the right time for him to impress the PBA scouts.

gamberro
07-20-2006, 11:35 AM
We all know that Espinas is not a scorer. Right!!! He want's to play "D"!!! Espinas is the 2nd best rebounder in the league. No# 1 in block shots. .

I Guess, nasa top 10 sya in this coming Draft...