PDA

View Full Version : In the Meantime...

5FootCarrot
07-01-2006, 09:38 AM
Any info on the non-UAAP leagues that La Salle will be joining this year?

(Hey, wow, the first thread I started in another school forum!)

glock23
07-01-2006, 12:12 PM
dlsu team will go to cebu and bacolod soon. games with university of the visayas are being arranged by cebu based alums. nothing really concrete on which tournaments here and abroad that they plan to compete in. will keep you posted on new developments.

gameface_one
07-05-2006, 08:12 AM
Green Archers to
test Stingers on July
BY CHRISTIAN IRL TAN
visayandailystar.com

The De La Salle University Green Archers will take on the University of St. La Salle collegiate men's basketball squad in an exhibition game on July 14 at 5:30 p.m. at the USLS Coliseum in Bacolod City.

USLS sports director Roger Banzuela said that the DLSU cagers will use the event as part of their preparations for next year's UAAP season after the Taft-based school was suspended for fielding ineligible players in the 2004 and 2005 hostilities. The Green Archers will also play either National Students Basketball champion West Negros College or University of Negros Occidental-Recoletos on July 15, he said.

The team A of De La Salle will be the squad that will show its wares in the exhibition encounters that will be free to the public, he added.

The DLSU coaching staff and players, who will plane in Bacolod on July 13, will also conduct a basketball clinic for the USLS coaches and students, Banzuela said.

Banzuela, however, said he is proposing to the Green Archers team officials to open the clinic to all member schools of the Negros Occidental Private Schools, Sports, Cultural and Educational Association.

The level of basketball in Negros could really benefit if DLSU decides to open the clinic to all NOPSSCEA schools, he said.

The Green Archers are also planning to play exhibition games in Iloilo from July 16 to 17, he added.

Banzuela said that games in the elementary and juniors' divisions will also be scheduled to serve as preludes to the exhibition matches of DLSU against the local collegiate teams.

The USLS Varsity Sports Office has already prepared the invitations for the schools that will see action in the elementary and juniors' categories, he added. *CIT

LION
07-07-2006, 09:24 AM
Who are the Team A and Team B players of La Salle this year?

bigfreeze_bibby
07-07-2006, 03:09 PM
This just came in from david64 (he posted this in archerpride.com originally and I am just pasting it here):

Per bigfreeze, in gameface, they've already discussed the Green Archers trip to the Visayas. For your info, the DLSU Green Archers will be in Iloilo on the 13th to play a selection at the Iloilo Sports Complex at 5:30 pm. We will also be conducting clinics early in the afternoon.

On the 14th, we take the ferry to Bacolod, do a clinic for LS-Bacolod early in the afternoon and play La Salle Bacolod in the evening. On the 15th, our game (against either West Negros or UNO-R) will be at 10:30 AM, still at the La Salle Gym. The afternoon will be dedicated to more basketball clinincs to be handled by the coaching staff and the players themselves. Sunday (the 16th) is a free day for the Archers, and they leave for Manila that afternoon.

The players for this trip are:

Atkins
Barua
Batricevic
Co
Casio
Cua
Malabes
Maierhofer
Mangahas
Tang
Villanueva
Walsham 12 in all.

Coaches are : Franz Pumaren (Head Coach), Jack Santiago and Tyrone Bautista.
Our PT Andre Bucasas and Utility, Edgar Reyes complete the official roster for the trip.

gameface_one
07-07-2006, 05:01 PM
What happened to Gameface Hardocre Player of the Tiong Lian Games Carl Cua? I thought he's included in the La Salle line-up?

Rektikano
07-07-2006, 07:50 PM
After playing only in the first game of the Archers in the recent FMC tournament, Carl Cua has decided to take a break from the team in the meantime to concentrate on his studies where he is an engineering student, if I'm not mistaken.

gameface_one
07-07-2006, 08:17 PM
After playing only in* the first game of the Archers in the recent FMC tournament, Carl Cua has decided to take a break from the team in the meantime to concentrate on his studies where he is an engineering student, if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks Rek.

fraternizer
07-07-2006, 08:19 PM
The players for this trip are:

Atkins
Barua
Batricevic
Co
Casio
Cua
Malabes
Maierhofer
Mangahas
t@ng
Villanueva
Walsham 12 in all.

Comparing this list to your FMC Summer League line-up, Ilad, the other Mangahas (which one is going?), the other Cua (I assume OJ is the one going), Graham, Meneses and Soler are not included. *Does that mean that they are now in Team B? *Also, Malabes is a new name. *Did he come up from Team B?

BLUE HORSE
07-07-2006, 10:37 PM
I think it was mentioned in AP.com that Malabes is the new name being used by their Fil-arab recruit Jabeer. Another name missing from the list Fil-am Randy Soriano.

david64
07-07-2006, 11:11 PM
Some players were not included as only 12 are being brought on this Visayan trip.

Malabes is not a new name, Bader is his first name and Malabes is his last name. James Mangahas is travelling with the team. Allan is staying behind on this trip.

A Cebu trip was in the works and could be done later this year. We have to work around school schedules too. Midterm exams are going on right now, which is why the trip was scheduled the next week. They also miss only 2 days of school, w/c means only one class per subject. The Cebu league starts end of July, as do the Iloilo/Bacolod leagues. We could very well visit Cebu after the School League ends.

nel
07-08-2006, 07:41 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Graham is playing for PCU in the NCAA.

LION
07-08-2006, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the list of Team A players. How about the list for Team B?

Out_Of_The_Blue
07-11-2006, 01:55 PM
After playing only in* the first game of the Archers in the recent FMC tournament, Carl Cua has decided to take a break from the team in the meantime to concentrate on his studies where he is an engineering student, if I'm not mistaken.

Does he still have plans of going back to the team?

Paul of Bataan
07-11-2006, 01:57 PM
malamang babalik yan when the UAAP suspension is lifted.

bigfreeze_bibby
07-11-2006, 02:20 PM
malamang babalik yan when the UAAP suspension is lifted.

Based from his FMC performance, actually I just saw him in the first game versus EAC, medyo di naging maganda performance ni Carl dun. He was tasked to play a position na hindi siya sanay. Unless he develops that skill in bringing down the ball and doing PG chores, or even SG chores, may chance pa siguro siya but for now, I am giving him low probability of making it back to the team A lineup even for next year.

fraternizer
07-16-2006, 08:00 AM
We've just received word that STI will hold its Pep Rally on Tuesday, July 18 at the Rizal Memorial Coliseum in preparation for the opening of the National Athletics Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities (NAASCU) basketball tournament at the Cuneta Astrodome on Saturday, July 22. The featured game after the Pep Rally will be the STI Olympians versus the De La Salle University Green Archers.

gameface_one
07-17-2006, 07:54 AM
CSA-B to play against Archers
BY CHRISTIAN IRL TAN
visayandailystar.com

Colegio de San Agustin-Bacolod will take the place of reigning NOPSSCEA titlist West Negros College in battling De La Salle University Green Archers in an exhibition game at 10:30 a.m. today at the University of St. La Salle Coliseum in Bacolod City.

USLS sports director Roger Banzuela yesterday said that WNC coach Jack Tumayan begged off for his squad to play against DLSU because he is still reorganizing the team.

The Mustangs, the defending champions in the National University Games and National Students Basketball Championship, are already without the services of big men Severino Baclao and Sunny Abaring and guard Junblargs Alsibo, who have been recruited by Manila-based schools.

Baclao earned a scholarship at the Ateneo De Manila University, while Abaring and Alisbo are with Far Eastern University.

Banzuela said the exhibition game of the Oscar Aquino-mentored San Agustin squad against the Green Archers will be a big boost to its preparations for this year's NOPSSCEA Season since majority of its cagers are rookies.

The DLSU side will use the game as part of its preparation for next year's UAAP season after being suspended for fielding ineligible players in the 2004 and 2005 competitions, he said.

The Green Archers, coached by former PBA player Franz Pumaren, will also conduct a two-day basketball clinic for the USLS coaches and students, he added.

Comprising the DLSU squad are Rico Maierhofer, Arthur Walsham, Kish Co, Marko Batricevic, Oliver Cua, James Mangahas, Peejay Barua, Pocholo Villanueva, Bader Malabes, Tyrone Tang, Jvee Casio and Simon Atkins. *CIT

bigfreeze_bibby
07-17-2006, 04:02 PM
Coming from mannyg1027 posted in archerpride.com:

Here's a write up from a local newspaper.

Archers mangle
Stingers, Eagles
BY CHRISTIAN IRL TAN

The De La Salle University Green Archers breezed to an easy 102-60 victory against Colegio de San Agustin-Bacolod Saturday to complete a two-game sweep of its Goodwill Tour before a big crowd at the University of St. La Salle Coliseum in Bacolod City.

Capitalizing on its height and heft, the Taft-based DLSU squad also demolished the USLS Stingers, 92-59, in its first schedule Friday night.

Peejay Barua spearheaded the Green Archers' assault against La Salle, exploding for 23 points, while James Mangahas and Jvee Casio chipped in 13 and 12 markers, respectively. Carrying the scoring load for the Troy Sarabia-mentored Stingers team was Mark Elvin Diaz as he poured in 17 points.

Against the CSA-B Eagles of coach Oscar Aquino, DLSU opened the second quarter with a 12-0 run to build a huge 45-20 margin with six minutes and 45 seconds remaining in the period.

Kish Co anchored the Green Archers' second quarter onslaught by scoring all of his 6 points in the period after his squad established a 33-20 advantage at the end of the first quarter. DLSU had a comfortable 58-31 lead at halftime.

The DLSU cagers, mentored by former PBA player Franz Pumaren, then started the third quarter with an 11-4 spurt for a 69-35 buffer with 6 minutes left in the period.

After having an 82-44 lead at the end of the third period, the Green Archers outscored the Eagles, 20-16, in the final canto to post the impressive 102-60 victory. Arthur Walsham, who attacked CSA-B's defense from both the shaded lane and the perimeter, amassed 19 points for the Green Archers, while Mangahas contributed 12 markers.

Pocholo Villanueva and Bader Malabas added 10 points each for DLSU, which used the exhibition games as part of their preparations for next year's UAAP following their suspension for fielding ineligible players in the 2004 and 2005 seasons.

Veteran guard Ace Santos waxed hot for CSA-B, canning 31 points on seven three-point connections, while Monico Cup standout Rojie Gelasan had 10 markers.

Completing DLSU's line-up were Rico Maierhofer, Marko Batricevic, Oliver Cua, Simon Atkins and top point guard Tyrone Tang, who was sidelined with an injury.

pio_valenz
07-17-2006, 05:27 PM
Bibby, is Bader Malabas a late addition to your line-up? I watched your FMC game against Baste-Cavite and I don't recall seeing him. What position does he play?

bigfreeze_bibby
07-18-2006, 07:30 AM
Bibby, is Bader Malabas a late addition to your line-up? I watched your FMC game against Baste-Cavite and I don't recall seeing him. What position does he play?

Actually Bader is not a late addition. He's been with us for a year already along with Randolph Soriano. He plays the shooting guard spot but in some of the FMC games, he was being asked to play the point.

bigfreeze_bibby
07-18-2006, 07:32 AM
We've just received word that STI will hold its Pep Rally on Tuesday, July 18 at the Rizal Memorial Coliseum in preparation for the opening of the National Athletics Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities (NAASCU) basketball tournament at the Cuneta Astrodome on Saturday, July 22.* The featured game after the Pep Rally will be the STI Olympians versus the De La Salle University Green Archers.

The game is scheduled at 3pm later today. Tang and Cua won't play because of minor injuries suffered in their Iloilo-Bacolod trip.

5FootCarrot
07-18-2006, 08:19 AM
Actually Bader is not a late addition. He's been with us for a year already along with Randolph Soriano. He plays the shooting guard spot but in some of the FMC games, he was being asked to play the point.

Yep, I remember seeing this guy in last year's FMC2 and HAIL. It just took us a while to determine exactly what his name is ;D

bigfreeze_bibby
07-18-2006, 10:09 AM
Yep, I remember seeing this guy in last year's FMC2 and HAIL. It just took us a while to determine exactly what his name is ;D

Ako din eh. I thought that Bader was his surname.

pio_valenz
07-18-2006, 12:35 PM
Ah, I see. Randolph Soriano I sort of remember. If Malabas was in the FMC line-up last summer, then I'm sure my DLSU "tour guide" for that afternoon pointed him out, but either he wasn't used at all and therefore didn't register with me, or age is catching up and depleting my memory banks.

5FootCarrot
07-18-2006, 01:21 PM

And I thought his last name was Jassim. (Ano yun, middle name?)

If Malabas was in the FMC line-up last summer, then I'm sure my DLSU "tour guide" for that afternoon pointed him out, but either he wasn't used at all and therefore didn't register with me, or age is catching up and depleting my memory banks.

Posible rin na mali yung pangalang binigay sa iyo ;D

Ghostrider
07-18-2006, 01:50 PM

Isn't the guy in the foreground of Marko's picture in the article written by Green Lantern,* Badeer Jassim aka Bader Malabas?

http://www.gameface.ph/players/playerspast.htm

Clarification lang po* ???

pio_valenz
07-18-2006, 02:20 PM
If Malabas=Jassim, then I remember him. Nampotah, ano ba talaga ang pangalan niya??

MargaretThrasher
07-18-2006, 03:47 PM
That question should be answered if and when he makes the UAAP. To find out, just look at the surname on the back of his jersey. (Tapos paiba-iba rin pala yung apelyido sa likod ng jersey niya, o...uh oh!)

bigfreeze_bibby
07-19-2006, 07:47 AM
And I thought his last name was Jassim. (Ano yun, middle name?)

Jassim is his second name.

Ghostrider, yes he's the guy in the foreground of Marko's picture.

bigfreeze_bibby
07-19-2006, 07:49 AM
The game is scheduled at 3pm later today. t@ng and Cua won't play because of minor injuries suffered in their Iloilo-Bacolod trip.

DLSU won by 7 points in this game, 78-71. Here are the box scores from that game courtesy of david64:

DLSU - Villanueva-18, Casio-18, J. Mangahas-13, Maierhofer-7, Walsham-6, Malabes-5, Barua-4, Co-4, A. Mangahas-2, Soriano-2 = 78

STI - Micatuan-27, Macalma-7, Porto-7, Junatas-6, Rosales-5, Perez-5, Mabayo-4, Belano-4, delos Reyes-4, Legaspi-2 = 71

Qtr. scores : 25-21; 47-39; 66-59; 78-71

gameface_one
07-20-2006, 07:51 AM
Archers look forward to next UAAP season
By Bill Velasco
The Philippine Star 07/20/2006

The De La Salle Green Archers are unfazed by their suspension from the UAAP. In fact, they are using the one-year lay-off as added motivation to come back even stronger for the next season.

"Everybody’s okay right now. In fact, we’re starting with our regular practice next week, just in time for the regular tournaments," said returning head coach Franz Pumaren.

The Green Archers played an exhibition game against the STI Olympians in Rizal Memorial Coliseum Tuesday. After slow start, the former UAAP champions eventually won a close game.

Currently, La Salle is preparing for the Fr. Martin Cup 2 and other amateur invitational tournaments. They have just returned from a good will tour in the Visayas, where they conducted clinics for the underprivileged and played against local teams in Iloilo and Bacolod such as San Agustin and University of St. La Salle. But their main goal is to come back strong in next year’s UAAP.

"That’s the good thing about it, we look at this as a challenge," said fourth-year guard Cholo Villanueva. "We’ll make a more assertive comeback next year. We’re motivated to play better individually and as a team to regain the championship in the UAAP next year."

"We apologize to our fellow athletes in La Salle, because they were pulled into it. It’s not something we wanted to happen," said forward Rico Maierhofer. "There was a misunderstanding. But we’ll make up for it next UAAP."

Veterans Tyrone Tang and Cholo Villanueva will still be able to see action next year, as they are still within the league age limit. Tang is only 21, Villanueva, 22. The UAAP has a five-year eligibility for athletes.

"It’s like nothing happened, our veterans are still there," Maierhofer added.

"We’re focused on our studies, and we’re joining invitational tournaments," said guard Jayvee Casio. "Our mindset is preparing for upcoming tournaments and next UAAP season."

MVBA
07-24-2006, 01:19 AM
A Cebu trip was in the works and could be done later this year. We have to work around school schedules too. Midterm exams are going on right now, which is why the trip was scheduled the next week. They also miss only 2 days of school, w/c means only one class per subject. The Cebu league starts end of July, as do the Iloilo/Bacolod leagues. We could very well visit Cebu after the School League ends.
* * *WE at the Mindanao Visayas Basketball Association have recently extended an invitation to the De La Salle Green Archers to play in an invitational tournament in Cebu City from August 21 to 26, 2006.* The said invitation was faxed to the Office of Sports Development last week.

Click on these related links:
Gameface MVBA Forum (http://www.gameface.ph/forums/index.php?board=30.0)
:) MVBA Friendster Account (http://www.friendster.com/mvba)

nel
07-24-2006, 08:08 AM
That's good news. However, I hope that the OSD will evaluate the proposed participation against the UAAP rulebook. We wouldn't want our players to lose a year of eligibility in the same way that Mike Cortez lost a year of UAAP eligibility when La Salle played in the NCRAA.

bigfreeze_bibby
07-24-2006, 09:26 AM
That's good news. However, I hope that the OSD will evaluate the proposed participation against the UAAP rulebook. We wouldn't want our players to lose a year of eligibility in the same way that Mike Cortez lost a year of UAAP eligibility when La Salle played in the NCRAA.

I agree with this one. Do they consider MVBA as a professional league? Because IMO, it is. Better check this invite first with the UAAP (if it's possible) or with OSD, if they are aware of the rules baka may mga binago na naman this season.

If this pushes through, this will be a good training ground for the boys since they'll get an experience of battling it out against a more mature opposition.

oca
07-24-2006, 11:04 AM

Not too many of us are familiar with the rules of the UAAP on this type of invitations. Pero tama lang na humingi ng clarification from the UAAP on the pertinent rulings. Kahit suspended member kayo, member pa rin kayo. Huwag niyong ibale wala ang UAAP at baka masilipan na naman kayo.

Alam niyo naman kung mangatwiran yang UAAP Board, 'di mo malaman kung anong prinsipyo ang basehan.

nel
07-24-2006, 12:22 PM
If there's any doubt, the prudent thing would be to write the UAAP and request for their position. We should get a reply IN WRITING, so that if there are any questions, we can always refer to the OFFICIAL reply.

I wouldn't want our prized players to get disqualified from playing in the UAAP because they participated in a tournament that the UAAP feels is "professional". Let's check the rulebook, and get the official postion of the UAAP IN WRITING.

brian
07-24-2006, 06:41 PM
i wouldn't trust the uuap even if they put it in writing he he !!!! pero tama kayo...dapat i klaro muna yan sa uaap..

Fried Green Tomato
07-24-2006, 09:44 PM
With the suspension still in effect, La Salle basketball is trying to make the most of the situation by participating in different tournaments with the core of the team playing together.

As of this time, we're about to join the fmc2 with 2 teams (A & B). Then come october, there's the home & away tournament. We got a free passage (invitation) to the champion's league despite the suspension. There's the trip to australia. And maybe, there's gonna be a mini-tournament among La Salle, Ateneo, San Beda & Letran.

This year alone, the team is busy and i'm not sure if there's still room for one more competition.

nel
07-25-2006, 12:06 PM
That's good news. I wish we could do the same for our other teams. Our ladies' volleyball team has the Shakeys VLeague, but what about the other sports? I hope our other athletes won't be dormant this year.

Rektikano
07-25-2006, 10:41 PM
^^^^

It's the responsibility of the coaches and managers of the respective teams to look for tournaments that their teams can play in. The OSD will then just approve or disapprove these participations.

bigfreeze_bibby
07-31-2006, 08:09 AM
In the meantime, DLSU will be fielding in two teams for upcoming FMC2. Games will be held Saturdays (in FEU gym) and Sundays (in San Beda gym) starting August 5. The two teams were separated and placed in different groups. Tentative roster are as follows (it may still change until Friday if I am not mistaken) coming from david64:

Team A = Atkins, Barua, Batricevic, Co, Cua, Mangahas, J., Maierhofer, Casio, Malabes, Villanueva, Tang, Walsham

Team B = Mangahas, A., Soriano, Meneses, Musngi, Lee, Chua, Soller, Ciruela (for now, there are 8 players but 8 more players might be added later on)

VV3CBL
08-01-2006, 11:34 PM
http://www.yehey.com/sports/full_article.aspx?id=125465&categ=30

bigfreeze_bibby
08-10-2006, 08:15 AM
The Green Archers won over PUP yesterday in their friendly exhibition match at the Enrique Razon Sports Complex in DLSU campus to the tune of 92-58. I'll borrow rektikano's account of the match coming from ap.com.

The Green Archers limited PUP to just 7 points in the 3rd quarter and pulled away for a 92-58 win this afternoon at the Sports Complex.

Rustiness was very much evident from the Archers as they had a hard time pulling away in the first half. The 3 point snipings of this lefty from PUP kept them in the game as he scored 14 points in the first half as PUP just trail the Archers by 7 points at halftime, 43-36.

The Archers, of course, went to the vaunted full court trap in the 3rd quarter as they shot down this lefty (who went scoreless in the second half) and scored on several transition baskets highlighted by Rico Maierhofer's two handed slam off a fast break steal. After the slam, coming back down on defense, he signalled coach Franz that he needed to be pulled out because he still needs to go to class. Bader Malabes helped in the breakaway as he sank a couple of triples that finally put PUP away. Suddenly the 3rd quarter ended with the Archers holding a 73-43 lead.

The 2 teams just went through the motion in the fourth quarter but coach Franz gave the Archers a stern warning that if PUP reached 60 points, they would be "punished" with running several laps in the gym. This prompted the Archers to put some life in the game as they tried mightily to prevent PUP from reaching 60 points. And to everyone's relief, a final defensive stop in the end accomplished the task which drew laughters from the crowd as the rest of the Archers on the bench were all standing and encouraging the 5 on the court to clamp down on that last play. The scene was like a close game where if PUP was able to score the Archers would've lost.

LaSalle score :

Villanueva 14, Maierhofer 12, Tang 12, Malabes 12, Barua 8, Co 8, Mangahas J. 6, Batricevic 6, Casio 4, Atkins 4, Walsham 3, Ilad 3

brian
08-12-2006, 02:37 AM
it's good to know that ilad has come back.....well, siya yung naka 3 points diba? 8)

bigfreeze_bibby
08-12-2006, 09:23 PM
Please post all FMC2 related topics to the DLSU in the Father Martin's Cup thread. Thanks.

@ GHRanger: I moved your post to that thread.

shyboy
09-16-2006, 08:04 PM
The Green Archers are currently in Bahrain for a series of exhibition matches. Below is the link to a thread in AP.com discussing this trip.

http://forums3.archerpride.com/index.php?showtopic=2349

gameface_one
10-05-2006, 09:11 AM
‘League-less’ Lady Archers find playground down south

By Marc Anthony Reyes
Inquirer
Last updated 03:33am (Mla time) 10/05/2006

Published on Page A25 of the October 5, 2006 issue of the Philippine Daily Inquirer

DESPITE its suspension, De La Salle University’s women’s basketball team sure knows how to put its free time into good use.

Left inactive by the suspension slapped on the school by the UAAP, the Lady Archers embarked on a goodwill tour down south recently, facing Mindanao-based schools in a series of friendly matches at the Mindanao Civic Center in Tubod, Lanao de Norte.

The friendly matches, ironically, resulted in routs, given the strength and experience of the UAAP powerhouse squad.

The Lady Archers demolished Pagadian City College (133-26) before taking on Mindanao State University-Iligan Institute of Technology (95-35).

They were set to face one more team from Cagayan de Oro City, but the school begged off because of conflicts of schedule with its intramural games.

“We hope that this would start the exchange of athletic knowledge between Metro Manila and Mindanao, not only in basketball but in all sports as well,” said Lanao de Norte Governor Imelda Quibranza-Dimaporo.

Her daughter, Sittie Aminah, is one of the stalwarts of the La Salle Lady Archers and the major proponent of the team’s Mindanao swing.

Edna Gloriani, La Salle team manager said, lauded the efforts to bring the top UAAP team to Region 10 while the school waits for the lifting of their one-year suspension from the league as a result of the ineligibility scandal caused by the men’s team early this year.

“This series has given us the chance to play the best the country could offer, and though we lost the game, we learn something just by playing with La Salle,” said PCC president Ricardo Santiago, himself a former La Salle student in Manila.

The UAAP suspended La Salle after the school admitted that it inadvertently fielded in an ineligible player for two years, including in 2004 when the team won the championship.

jombag16
10-07-2006, 07:48 PM
carl cua- is the st. jude guy? if im not mistaken, chinese guys like tang and cua are serious with their studies. ang alam ko, tang is paying his tuition. for the chinese (moneyed), studies are a priority.. secondary ang basketball.. the parents would always say na walang future sa bball. exceptional un sila yeo.. but usually priority tlga is to get a degree.

LION
10-18-2006, 08:52 AM
Wala bang mag organize ng La Salle vs. San Beda games?* *Gawin nating home and away format.

We need you guys to hone our skills in breaking the press specially now that our point guards are saddled with serious injuries. On the other hand, you also need to play against us to really prepare for the next UAAP season.* Playing in the FMC only gave you guys the wrong impression that your team is ready for the UAAP next year.

bigfreeze_bibby
10-18-2006, 10:35 AM
Wala bang mag organize ng La Salle vs. San Beda games?* *Gawin nating home and away format.

We need you guys to hone our skills in beating the press specially now that our point guards are saddled with serious injuries. On the other hand, you also need to play against us to really prepare for the next UAAP season.* Playing in the FMC only gave you guys the wrong impression that your team is ready for the UAAP next year.

Why not di ba? To be honest, I want to see how our team will attack an opponent with a prolific defensive center in the mold of Sam Ekwe. It's been a while since I saw this type of a player play in the collegiate ranks. Malaki na magaling talaga dumepensa sa gitna.

I think coach Koy knows naman how to break DLSU's press. He's faced DLSU so many times during his FEU coaching stint. He knows how to get the job done. Tingin ko you have the players who will be able to bring the ball down and solve the press.

Regarding the FMC2 stint, it's just one of those tourneys that the team had to go through to keep them fit and to test the chemistry of the team as well since all of you know that the team that you saw in the FMC2 is basically will be the same composition of the UAAP team next year unless something wrong happens between now and July 2007.

I won't be a hypocrite but I expected the team to win FMC2 but I am not that much disappointed that we didn't win the tourney. It opened us to a realization that sabi ko nga sa post ko sa AP.com na madami pa kaming kakaining bigas to really become competitive next year. Magandang tune up games ito if ever this will push through.

LION
10-18-2006, 11:00 AM
Indeed Koy knows how to break the press.* What I would like to know is if our team could do it without Alex and Borgie.* Alex is no longer eligible and we might miss the playmaking skills of Hermida next season.

Sana ma organize ito.

shyboy
10-18-2006, 12:05 PM
Hmmm... good suggestion. :) I'll watch this game for sure if it materializes.

Bennie Bangag
10-18-2006, 12:49 PM
not a bad idea :) let's see how sam ekwe fares against la salle's attacking offense. just as important, as was mentioned, is how the beda guards deal with the pumaren press.

Rektikano
10-19-2006, 02:53 PM
Lion,

Maganda yung idea mo. Aside from being able to practice against each other, it's a good time to regain camaraderie between the 2 schools. I remember during the early to middle '80s when LaSalle and San Beda were both leagueless, both basketball teams would visit each other and play goodwill games.

A LaSalle -San Beda game might materialize in the homegrown cup. As I understand it, we are in the same group and are not supposed to play each other unless both teams get into the finals. But it looks like there is a rule change, so we might play each other in the quarterfinals or semis. I just hope it's your team A that will see action para mas maganda yung laban.

Good luck to both our teams. As you can see, our team A is still groping for form kaya dehado kami dito..hehe..

LION
10-19-2006, 04:10 PM
Will look forward to it rek, although I don't agree na dehado kayo.* Injured ang mga guards namin and we might find it difficult to break your legendary press.* The reason why I came up with this idea to play against your team is really to assess if our combo guards can handle your press.

In the NCAA, our team was successful in neutralizing the* the physical and rugged fullcourt press of Letran because of our effective* guard rotation but this time it will be a different story because we will miss the services of Borgie Hermida.

Sayang dahil magandang match up din sana ang Hermida vs. Atkins.

shyboy
10-19-2006, 07:05 PM
La Salle - San Beda matchups I foresee:

Tang - Angeles
Casio - Escobal
Ilad - Ekwe
Walsham - Aljamal
Maierhoffer - Menor
Villanueva - Tecson
Badeer - Gamalinda
Atkins - Hermida

LION
10-20-2006, 07:59 AM
La Salle - San Beda matchups I foresee:

t@ng - Angeles
Casio - Escobal
Ilad - Ekwe
Walsham - Aljamal
Maierhoffer - Menor
Villanueva - Tecson
Badeer - Gamalinda
Atkins - Hermida

Cancel the last matchup shyboy. Hermida is injured and might not even play next season.

bigfreeze_bibby
10-20-2006, 09:18 AM
LION, you'll now have a chance to test the press against UE on Sunday. You all know that UE and DLSU has more or less the same system when it comes to executing the pressure defense, even though there are some tweaks by both coaches, more or less puede mo na masukat yung capability ninyo to break the press.

LION
10-20-2006, 09:33 AM
bigfreeze, iba pa rin yung sa original. :)

Last time around (HAIL finals), our team lost to UE mainly because of the press. Our pointguards at that time were Pong and Micah. No Alex (PBL commitments) and Borgie (still a Red Cub). More than a dozen turnovers were committed by the Lions which translated into fastbreak points by the Warriors.

You are right, I am sure that Dindo knows that our achilles heel right now is the pointguard rotation and he will surely unleash the full strength of his pressing defense on Sunday. Note that Pong Escobal who usually plays as combo guard spent most of the time playing point in our game yesterday against JRU. He was impressive at the point but his FG shooting somewhat declined in the 4th quarter due to fatigue.

bigfreeze_bibby
10-20-2006, 11:01 AM
To be honest, mahihirapan si Pong to play the point as of present. Mas effective talaga siya sa shooting guard and a good one at that. Si Micah talaga ang susi to support Alex in the point position or maybe coach Koy can use Yousif (just like what he did to Arwind in FEU bringing down the ball during DLSU's press formation) to bring down the ball.

Rektikano
10-20-2006, 01:16 PM
Lion,

What happened to Borgie? Is it the same injury he suffered in the last NCAA, yung sa may shin? sayang naman kung di siya aabot sa NCAA next year. He is one of the best young and up and coming point guards in the amateurs, in my opinion. Wala na ba kayong ibang pure point guard sa team B niyo? Si Mikah Evangelista kasi parang hirap mag point. If Pong will not have any decent back up mahihirapan siya.

LION
10-20-2006, 01:53 PM
I haven't talked to Borgie for more than a month now. I guess it is the same injury. As of now, Alex is still the point guard but he will no longer be eligible next season. I am sure that Koy Banal has something in mind already.

shyboy
10-20-2006, 03:23 PM
I haven't talked to Borgie for more than a month now.* I guess it is the same injury. As of now, Alex is still the point guard but he will no longer be eligible next season.* I am sure that Koy Banal has something in mind already.

I think Koy has Sam Ekwe in mind as PG. ;D He'll be coach of the century if he's successful with that.

Seriously, the next NCAA season is still 8 1/2 months away so siguro naman Hermida will be ok by that time.

First time I got to watch a Red Cubs game last Sunday and bilib ako dun sa Bernas. Galing bumitbit ng bola at bumitin sa ere.

shyboy
10-22-2006, 06:26 PM
LION, you'll now have a chance to test the press against UE on Sunday. You all know that UE and DLSU has more or less the same system when it comes to executing the pressure defense, even though there are some tweaks by both coaches, more or less puede mo na masukat yung capability ninyo to break the press.

Well, UE's press just won it over San Beda in the Champion's League.

Kid Cubao
10-22-2006, 08:02 PM
congratulations to de la salle-zobel for beating the san beda red cubs in the finals of the FMC2 juniors division. great game that went into overtime, and great poise by the alabang-based squad. man, nakapanghihinayang talagang di sila pinalaro this just-concluded UAAP season :( leche talagang UAAP board, but i digress...

magaling yung anak ni fritz webb.

gfy
10-22-2006, 11:53 PM
That was Team B of the San Beda Red Cubs which lost to DLSU-Zobel.

brian
10-23-2006, 12:58 AM
congratulations to de la salle-zobel for beating the san beda red cubs in the finals of the FMC2 juniors division. great game that went into overtime, and great poise by the alabang-based squad. man, nakapanghihinayang talagang di sila pinalaro this just-concluded UAAP season :( leche talagang UAAP board, but i digress...

magaling yung anak ni fritz webb.

kid, sino si joshua?....kakatuwa pa yun pag maka-shoot. ganun pa rin ba kung hamapasin ang dibdib niya?...

btw..Off-topic-* kid cubao, i've been meaning to ask you this, yung avator mo diba si pepe smith as illustrated by bencab in a book compilation of his drawings?...sayang naiwan sa akin ang copy ni joey mith nyan kaya lang nawala ko rin....

brian
10-23-2006, 01:01 AM

'cha, kung ganun nilaro ng ue sa final 4 ng uaap malamang nagchampion sila....sayang, sa san beda ako...oh well!!!

bigfreeze_bibby
10-23-2006, 06:58 AM
I just can't help but to put my comments here re: Championship game of CCL yesterday between UE and SBC. UE did it with defense and James Martinez was one lucky guy. I know the kid can shoot threes but I didn't expect him to shoot all the way from Recto. San Beda wasn't closing on him during the zone defense formation of San Beda because he was far from the three point range and all of a sudden walang ka-abog-abog e babanat ng tres ng pagkalayo-layo.

You know guys who I remembered during those sequences? Henry Ong. 'Nuff said.

On-topic: DLSU will join the Homegrown Cup. I'll put up a new thread to discuss how will our team fare in that tourney after our semifinals exit in the recently concluded FMC2.

LION
10-23-2006, 07:49 AM

Yes shyboy.* UE's press killed us in the first quarter but we were able to make adjustments after that.

Ekwe's interior defense was rendered ineffective by the near flawless outside shooting of Borboran and James Martinez.* *James Martinez did the most damage as he was I think perfect from the rainbow country.*

Big_freeze is right. The game was really close in the 4th quarter and UE was only ahead by 2 - 4 points but Martinez suddenly exploded those 3 point bombs all the way from Recto Avenue. Ang layo ng mga tira niya, about 4 ft. away from the 3 point line,* pero pumasok lahat.

UE provided the template on now to beat San Beda.* Speed, superior stamina to sustain that speed, and good outside shooting to negate San Beda's interior defense.

UE was* the better team yesterday.* They showed why they were the No. 1 seed at the start of this year's UAAP season.

shyboy
10-23-2006, 09:23 AM
It just goes to show that in collegiate basketball, each team has its own "kontra-pelo."* UST has an advantage in height over the UE guards.* UE's quickness, however, takes one against San Beda which lorded it over an NCAA team who won over UST in its homecourt.* ???

Teka, back to topic na po tayo.* Baka mapagalitan.* *;D

Kid Cubao
10-23-2006, 11:50 AM
kid, sino si joshua?....kakatuwa pa yun pag maka-shoot. ganun pa rin ba kung hamapasin ang dibdib niya?...

btw..Off-topic- kid cubao, i've been meaning to ask you this, yung avator mo diba si pepe smith as illustrated by bencab in a book compilation of his drawings?...sayang naiwan sa akin ang copy ni joey mith nyan kaya lang nawala ko rin....

yup, he's joshua webb. hindi na sya masyado nanghahampas sa sarili, pero mas madalas ang mga shoot nya ngayon, loob at labas.

about my avatar, right on. that's bencab's rendition of rock god and cubao legend pepe smith in action. it would have been better if bencab drew pepe behind the drum kit--he's a monster on drums.

gameface_one
01-18-2007, 10:58 AM
A grand comeback for Green Archers?
By Reuel Vidal
Manila Standard Today

SING no sad songs for the De La Salle University Green Archers.

The one-year hiatus from University Athletic Association of the Philippines competitions has not hurt the team in any way. If anything, the Green Archers will be back stronger than ever come the 2007 UAAP season.

“Blessing in disguise siguro ang pagkaka-suspend namin,” said De La Salle University basketball coach Franz Pumaren. “Nakapag-ensayo kami ng husto. Because we had a longer time to prepare, we were able to improve the individual skills of the players.”

No UAAP team has players in better shape than the Green Archers. Credit goes to American Dan Rose, who is also the strength and conditioning coach of the Philippine Basketball Association’s Talk N Text Phone Pals.

“Dan has been with us [La Salle] since 1999 and he has helped in the strength and conditioning of the players,” said Pumaren. “We determine the strong points and the weaknesses of each individual player and make a program for his continued improvement. For example, if player A needs to improve his quickness, agility or his jumping, then it’s Dan’s job to devise a program for that.”

Pumaren, however, was quick to add that they are at a disadvantage as far as team preparations are concerned because the other UAAP teams had the benefit of competition in highly charged UAAP games.

“The other teams played in the UAAP, we did not,” said Pumaren. “So that’s their advantage over us. It’s different in practice and even playing in lesser tournaments without the drums, the crowds and the TV coverage. The scenario is different, the competition less intense.”

When Adamson was suspended from UAAP competitions in 1994, it lost the best players on its roster and also lost all its best recruits. This included that year’s UAAP high school champion’s best player Benito Victoria, who actually came from Adamson High School. Victoria chose to enrol in San Beda College to follow the footsteps of his celebrated elder brother Boybits.

More than 12 years after that debacle, Adamson has never been the same. The team is not even close to winning another UAAP crown and routinely occupies the lower bracket in the UAAP standings.

In contrast, the Archers have retained their best players and their best recruits, who joined the team even though they knew that De La Salle University would serve out a one-year suspension.

Key additions to the Green Archers include point guard Simon Atkins from De La Salle Zobel; Serbian center Marko Batricevic, 6’7”, from De La Salle Greenhills; and last year’s high school National Collegiate Athletic Association Most Valuable Player Allan Mangahas from Philippine Christian University.

“Atkins provides not only leadership but also toughness and competitiveness,” said Pumaren. “The potential is there. The upside is there. He has a bright future although we don’t expect that he will be as dominant as he was in high school.”

Atkins averaged close to a triple-double (double digit points, rebounds and assists) when he led the Junior Archers to the UAAP junior crown last year. Atkins will be a valuable backup point guard this year and is the acknowledged future of the team.

“Batricevic did not come to the Philippines to play basketball—he is an exchange student,” said Pumaren. “He’s not an impact player. He’s more of a role player. We want him to continue to work out to become bigger and stronger to be able to compete at the collegiate level.”

La Salle is so deep that Mangahas was actually relegated to the “B” team.

Veteran players who will be returning include slam-dunking forward Rico Maierhofer, 6’5”; PJ Walsham, 6’5”; Bryan Ilad, 6’5”; Kish Co, 6’4”; OJ Cua, 6’3”; James Mangahas, 6’3”; PJ Barua, 6’2”; Bader Malabes, 6’1”; TY Tang, 5’10”; Cholo Villanueva, 6’1”; and JV Casio, 5’11”.

“This is the tallest team that I’ve coached in the UAAP in many years,” said Pumaren. “This year, we have really good tall players. In particular, Rico [Maierhofer] has really matured. He is ready to assume the role of being the top player in the team.”

According to assistant coach Tyrone Bautista, another big man who is expected to play a big role in the team is Ilad.

“He made quite an impact in the Homegrown Cup and helped us win the tournament,” said Bautista. “Malaking bagay si Bryan. Sabi nga ni coach Franz, maganda ang lineup ng big guys. Meron talaga kaming aasahan from the big guys.”

Pumaren said another thing going for the team is the players’ eagerness to get back into competition.

“The way I look at it, the players are really excited and eager to play in the UAAP again,” said Pumaren. “It’s no joke to be away from the UAAP for a year. All these years, even when they were still in high school, the players’ goal is to play in the collegiate level in the UAAP and they were denied that chance last year. This year, everybody is really itching to return to the UAAP.”

Without the UAAP, the Green Archers have had to content themselves in lesser leagues like the recent Homegrown Cup, which they won.

Participants included UAAP champion University of Santo Tomas, runner-up Ateneo de Manila University, University of the East, Far Eastern U and University of the Philippines. The best NCAA teams including NCAA champion San Beda College, Colegio de San Juan de Letran, Jose Rizal University and San Sebastian College also participated.

The Green Archers beat them all and went home with the trophy. And if the Homegrown Cup was to be a gauge, then the same Green Archers should be the prohibitive favorites to challenge the defending champion UST Growling Tigers for the UAAP title this year.

brian
01-18-2007, 12:41 PM
as i see it, at this point in time at least, we have the advantage since it's the uaap off season, all the teams may have started to prepare for the uaap season 70 while we have been preparing since last year. mas mahaba ang off season ng dlsu ha ha!

another thing, we have been preparing to play without joseph for the longest time, while other teams are trying to figure out how to play without their stars whom they've recently lost due to graduation etc. etc.

this of course is just Aa positive angle we all could look at..

but we'll just have to wait and see>>>>---ANIMO LA SALLE!!!>>>

bigfreeze_bibby
01-18-2007, 01:02 PM
I'll still stick in with my own belief that the Homegrown Cup won't serve a gauge whatsoever on how strong the Green Archers will be come July. Madami pang puedeng mangyari between now and July 2007. We played well in the Homegrown Cup, that's fine and it was a good sign since it was the closest tourney that we can "emulate" the TV coverage and drumbeats that we didn't experience last year due to our suspension.

We may be competitive but we are not strong as compared to the other teams. Mas advantageous pa nga yan for the other teams since they have seen our almost full lineup for season 70. While other schools have the chance to tweak out their lineups and see who fits in their own respective strategies in order to beat the Green Archers. This ongoing HAIL and the FMC Summer League will be a very good venue to further strengthen the weaknesses of the team.

brian
01-18-2007, 01:19 PM
agree, while our animo has been up and high with the recent homegrown cup victory, there's still a long way to go come season 70...

and it seems that the other teams have already been contmplating on how to beat us instead of setting their sights on the defending champions ust..

oh well, what's it with us anyways he he!...

5FootCarrot
01-18-2007, 01:58 PM
and it seems that the other teams have already been contmplating on how to beat us instead of setting their sights on the defending champions ust..

Of course teams always want to be able to brag that they were able to beat La Salle. It's for this same reason that other schools (not just La Salle) always pour it on when they face Ateneo.

Mahirap maging sikat :P Might as well just paint big bulls-eyes on the backs of all our players' jerseys...

nel
01-18-2007, 03:22 PM
While the Archers' performance in the Homegrown Cup was a rare ray of sunshine in the gloom that accompanied our suspension, I agree with bf that it's premature to assume that the team is ready for the UAAP. That's six months away, and anything can happen in between.

Defending champion UST is probably still the team to beat this coming season. They came from nowhere to win it all, and have been playing loose and with a lot of verve under Coach Pido. Many of their players are also getting a lot of seasoning in the ongoing PBL wars, so they'll be that much tougher and more confident in their abilities come UAAP time. Last year's final 4 contenders will surely figure prominently in the race to the final 4.

You can be sure that all the other teams are aggressively trying to improve their respective lineups through aggressive recruitment. The teams such as NU FEU that didn't figure prominently last season will have used the off season to retool and rebuild. Just as UST did last year, they are more than capable of pulling off some surprises. With da Nose back at the helm in UP, the Maroons will also be that much tougher.

flsfnoeraekadad
01-18-2007, 04:13 PM
agree, while our animo has been up and high with the recent homegrown cup victory, there's still a long way to go come season 70...

Oo nga, oo nga hehehe! UST ang dapat nyong habulin, hindi kami. Wala kaming pinanghahawakang title. Babalik pa nga lang ang Archers galing sa suspension eh.

Leeanna20
01-20-2007, 08:25 AM
meron bang bagong recruit na papasok sa archers na galing MMTLBA (tiong lian) ?;D

GreenArrows
01-25-2007, 07:15 AM
There are a few 'notables' in the current Tiong Lian tournament. As to who of those players are being eyed by DLSU, well, all I can say is, we never talk about those things in public fora like this. IF there are any prospects that we are interested in, you can be sure they will show up at the tryouts in February.

Leeanna20
01-25-2007, 06:46 PM
ic.. ehehehe cge paki post nalang by feb. kung sino sino sila nag try out.. ;D

Leeanna20
01-25-2007, 06:48 PM
what if they failed in there entrance examination? ??? then recruit sila or natanggap sa try out?? ano gagawin sa kanila? ??? ;D

admu14
01-25-2007, 06:59 PM
what if they failed in there entrance examination? ??? then recruit sila or natanggap sa try out?? ano gagawin sa kanila? ??? ;D

i guess dlsu won't consider them.there was a good player in the province by the name of jun lasala.i think he did not pass the entrance test and dlsu dropped him.just to give dlsu some fairness.

joelex
01-26-2007, 12:36 AM

eh di lineup pa din. ;D

Leeanna20
01-27-2007, 08:45 AM
oh? ehehhe kala ko ba strict? ???

shyboy
01-27-2007, 10:27 AM
oh? ehehhe* kala ko ba strict? ???

Ask Ryan Arana.

kingky
01-27-2007, 12:55 PM
sa DLSU basta na scout,recruit,natanggap sa try out kahit bagsak sa entrance exam LINE UP parin?? ??? ??? ???
ganon?? so hindi na pala importante yung entrance ng DLSU sa player kc nakuha na sya?? LUSOT NAH?? ???

brian
01-27-2007, 10:55 PM
sa DLSU basta na scout,recruit,natanggap sa try out kahit bagsak sa entrance exam LINE UP parin?? ??? ??? ???
ganon?? so hindi na pala importante yung entrance ng DLSU sa player kc nakuha na sya?? LUSOT NAH?? ???

well obvioulsy hindi puede yun :o..bakit sa iskul niyo puede? ;D

bigfreeze_bibby
01-27-2007, 11:49 PM
People, any next post na medyo off topic, sibak na kaagad ah. Tama na yang mga "pa-haging" na yan.

flsfnoeraekadad
01-28-2007, 01:49 PM
BFB, masyadong pasaway. Palakulin na yan.

Angas
03-11-2007, 12:09 PM
kelan daw po ang open try out? what time?
meron na kayang nakuhang player ng tiong lian? i heard captain ball ng cksc sa tiong lian mag try out daw? ???

flsfnoeraekadad
03-11-2007, 05:07 PM
Bali-balita pa lang ata iyon. Sino bang tinutukoy mo? Si Justin Chua? Palagay ko eh lock-in na sa Ateneo iyon.

kingky
03-11-2007, 09:11 PM
si derrick go ung capatain ball ng cksc un daw ang mag try try out sa dllsu.. read nyo yung thread sa MMTLBA tiong lian.

Angas
03-26-2007, 12:35 PM
yung team B ba ng DLSU full scholarship din ba sila?? ???

nel
03-26-2007, 02:27 PM
Are you kidding? It's a well known fact that Ty declined his scholarship and decided to pay his way because his family could afford it so the scholarship could go to another player who might have needed it more. There are not enough scholarships to go around.

bigfreeze_bibby
03-26-2007, 03:13 PM

The team B doesn't have scholarships.

Angas
03-26-2007, 05:35 PM
thank you bigfreeze..
halos lahat ba ng nasa Team B napupunta din sa Team A?

bigfreeze_bibby
03-27-2007, 08:24 AM
Basically, it's just the same thing, it will still depend on your performance. Pag sablay ka, pasyensyahan tayo buro ka sa team B. But if you show that you have what it takes to play it to the next level, angat ka sa team A. It is a common thing actually kaya hindi ko gets why are you asking that type of question. Every team is doing this same process of elevating players from team B going to team A. No offense meant to your inquiry.

oca
03-29-2007, 02:02 PM

College recruits who have to comply with residency rules have to sit it out at Team B. Kung walang scholarship sa Team B, are we to believe that they will agree to enroll at DLSU at their own expense?

Take the case of Ilad and every college recruit who donned the Green and White, are we to believe that during the time they were completing their respective residencies at Team B, they were actually spending for their own schooling?

To say that walang scholarship sa Team B may be technically correct.

But let us educate further those who ask this type of questions.

Truth of the matter is recruits who have to sit it out at Team B for a year or two to meet residency requirements will need “some form of assistance”, until such time the school itself grants them scholarships.

Mga bata, eto ang pangkaraniwang nangyayari.

Varsity teams, not just basketball, have benefactors. The common practice is for a recruited player to be “adopted”.* Yung nag-ampon, pwedeng isang tao lang yan o grupo, ang sasagot sa financial needs ng recruit.

Walang masama riyan. If the school can only grant so many scholarships, the alumni who wants to see a strong and credible sports program can and will lend a hand. Welcome ang mga iyan. Huwag lang nila pangingibabawan ang school officials.

Ang varsity team na walang “galanteng benefactor” are usually the teams with shallow talent pools. Walang Team B. Dahil nga, sino naman ang pwede mong makuhang* college recruit kung habang nakaupo yung bata sa Team B ay sasagutin niya ang sarili niyang matrikula.

Sa totoo lang, mga bata, ang mga varsity teams ay nabubuhay hindi lamang sa pagkalinga ng paaralan, kundi sa biyayang ring ibinabahagi ng mga benefactors. Pangkaraniwan ay grupo yan ng mga alumnus.

Ngayon, alam niyo na kung paano nabubuhay ang mga nasa Team B.

jiggerman04
03-29-2007, 06:56 PM
galing mag explain ni sir oca,,..kahit ako naliwanagan dun..thanks for sharing it...

kingky
03-29-2007, 10:39 PM
ahh, thank you po kuya. ngayon malinaw na ang lahat. :)

Fried Green Tomato
03-30-2007, 07:28 AM

College recruits who have to comply with residency rules have to sit it out at Team B. Kung walang scholarship sa Team B, are we to believe that they will agree to enroll at DLSU at their own expense?

Take the case of Ilad and every college recruit who donned the Green and White, are we to believe that during the time they were completing their respective residencies at Team B, they were actually spending for their own schooling?

To say that walang scholarship sa Team B may be technically correct.

But let us educate further those who ask this type of questions.

Truth of the matter is recruits who have to sit it out at Team B for a year or two to meet residency requirements will need “some form of assistance”, until such time the school itself grants them scholarships.

Mga bata, eto ang pangkaraniwang nangyayari.

Varsity teams, not just basketball, have benefactors. The common practice is for a recruited player to be “adopted”.* Yung nag-ampon, pwedeng isang tao lang yan o grupo, ang sasagot sa financial needs ng recruit.

Walang masama riyan. If the school can only grant so many scholarships, the alumni who wants to see a strong and credible sports program can and will lend a hand. Welcome ang mga iyan. Huwag lang nila pangingibabawan ang school officials.

Ang varsity team na walang “galanteng benefactor” are usually the teams with shallow talent pools. Walang Team B. Dahil nga, sino naman ang pwede mong makuhang* college recruit kung habang nakaupo yung bata sa Team B ay sasagutin niya ang sarili niyang matrikula.

Sa totoo lang, mga bata, ang mga varsity teams ay nabubuhay hindi lamang sa pagkalinga ng paaralan, kundi sa biyayang ring ibinabahagi ng mga benefactors. Pangkaraniwan ay grupo yan ng mga alumnus.

Ngayon, alam niyo na kung paano nabubuhay ang mga nasa Team B.

Yes, you are correct.

But let me further add to bfb's one-liner regarding non-scholarships of DLSU's team B players.

The university granted scholarships are limited. Basically, every year, the OSD has to submit their budget proposal to the DLSU Board of Regent and in that proposal includes the scholarships alloted (as recommended by the OSD) to all uaap sports and other expenses for the schoolyear. And most of the times, the approved budget has been drastically cut and this is when the problem starts. OSD has to juggle among all sports the very limited scholarships available.

In the recent past (and maybe including this season 70), NOT all DLSU Team A players were studying under the university scholarships and this is the part that the alumni play an important role.

Let me cite an example. In 2005 campaign, there were 14 players for DLSU UAAP mens basketball team but unfortunately there were only11 approved scholarships by the OSD (less ty tang as he's paying for his own tuition). The team had to look for sponsors for the tuition of two more players and luckily they were sponsored by the alumni.

Scholarship also comes in many ways; individual sponsorship by a particular alumni, a certain batch sponsoring a certain player or through collective sponsorships done by the alumni through donations before the season.

As for team B players, yes, they are not under university scholarships.

Most of the players in Team B are regular students paying for their own tuitions except for some "recruited" players still waiting for their turn in Team A. And these players' tuitions are being paid by the alumni in any of the schemes i mentioned above.

Unlike other universities, notably feu & ue, wherein even team B players are under university scholarships, such scenario is very unlikely to happen in La Salle. As much as we want to fill in our Team B with highly recruited players, the cost of studying in La Salle is one consideration that Higher Management would never allow. As the prime business school, everything is in terms of pesos... business is business. >:(

Rektikano
03-30-2007, 08:13 AM
FGT is correct. Not all players from Lasalle's team B get scholarships, whether from the school or from generous alumni. I say not all because it depends who is/are in team B. Sir OCA is also correct in saying that the likes of recruited players like Brian Ilad, Bader Malabes etc. had regular scholarships while toying in team B. But yung mga katulad nila Geo Sia, Migs Soller, Darel Ciruela, James Meneses, Rejan Lee etc. don't enjoy the privilege of scholarships.

bigfreeze_bibby
03-30-2007, 08:47 PM
oca, you were right in your statement. Nagkulang lang siguro ako sa paliwanag regarding these scholarships. No need to add further as FGT and rektikano completely followed up everything to fill in the missing informations.

bigfreeze_bibby
04-25-2007, 07:39 AM
The Green Archers had a tune up game yesterday against San Beda at the 9th floor of Enrique Razon Sports Complex. The Red Lions won, 78-73. Both teams fielded in their team A's according to the text message that I received courtesy of rektikano. Too bad I wasn't able to watch the game live.

green_minded
04-25-2007, 12:34 PM
^^
At least now a lot would now know how vulnerable the Archers are up to now. :o

Kid Cubao
04-25-2007, 12:45 PM
baka kasi hindi si bigote ang coach. puspusan kasi ang pangangampanya nya nitong mga nakaraang araw dun sa amin sa ikatlong distrito ng QC.

bigfreeze_bibby
04-25-2007, 01:02 PM
Coach Franz did the coaching chores for the team. Wala lang talaga sa kundisyon ang mga bata kulang pa sa laro and the Red Lions played one hell of a ballgame yesterday based on the info that I got. We were simply outplayed yesterday. Magandang pa-kundisyon ito for the Green Archers.

casual_observer
04-25-2007, 06:47 PM
hi! :)

any confirmation from the La Salle camp about the drafting of former Adamson Baby Falcons Ken Acibar and Jeff Olalia by the Green Archers?

flsfnoeraekadad
04-25-2007, 09:33 PM
hi! :)

any confirmation from the La Salle camp about the drafting of former Adamson Baby Falcons Ken Acibar and Jeff Olalia by the Green Archers?
Yes. They are playing in the NSL. Here, lemme show you this.

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/1807/untitledcr3.png